Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. Well, right now he's in the Dodger Spanish radio booth. But I first got to know Luis Cocchito Cruz when he was wearing number forty seven, bursting onto the scene with his great defense and timely hitting. Luis great to have you on the show. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the invite. Man. I'm always open to talk to you about baseball, and I really love the Dodgers and love baseball.
Speaker 1: Did you imagine yourself sitting here when you came to spring training back in twenty twelve, twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: No, I think it's from all this the things I thought I was going to do when I was hired. I think I never thought about being a broadcaster or analyst. And you know what has been great. And I got a good tea shirt with Rose Mora, a friend who's been helping me a lot as an engineer audio engineers, so I'm really happy. I'm still learning. But the good thing is that I love baseball. I still have passion for the game, and it's good to like see some guys that we used to be teammates still now now they're old, but like it's good. It's good to go down and say hi to a lot of guys and you still feel part of the game.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure Dodger fans realize this. When you talk about former teammates. It's not just former teammates in Major League Baseball. You spent a couple of years playing for LOTE in Japan, and that's where you played against guys like show Hey, Otani, Saya, Suzuki, Yamamoto, Imanaga, all those guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all those guys, they were younger than me when when I was there as a better and I was like thirty thirty three years old and they were coming up. But you can see Shoi was gonna be great. I mean, I didn't know he was gonna be teased great because he's been really good. But all those guys like Suzuki say he always you can see like a stereotype of big league players. And I'm really happy to to, you know, go down and say hi to them and they still remember. And they kind of bollowed me because I was a sampipe means I was older, so they kind of like say hi to you like bowling, and I really loved. For a player like me, you know, it's really tough. I was a utility player back then, and I wanted to play every day, and I got my time in the big leagues, but never had a really good chance to play every day. And when I make the decision to go to Japan, it's like, Okay, now I need to play every day and make something for my family and play. I ended up playing for fourty years in Japan, and I love it.
Speaker 1: What do you remember about show hal Tani in Japan?
Speaker 2: I faced him in twenty fourteen spring training and uh in Okinawa, and he was throwing hard, but he was wild, So I'm like, oh, this is the the kid everybody's talking about. At the beginning, I thought okay, but once we face him during the season, he was nasty. He was throwing one on one. He was he was more like a thrower, like he got only fastball, clider, and splitty. That's the only three pitches he had. And I mean I finked him so many times that I always give him a hard time, Like, remember when I hit the double, he probably sucked me out like ten times, more than ten times, but obviously he can remember that. I want to remember the double at hit, so you can see from back then twenty fourteen, he was gonna be great. I make a post in my Astagram page in twenty fifteen and I say, hey, remember this kid, He's going to be good. And I never thought we were going to be in the same team. Obviously I'm from the boot, but like having the same you know, callers in the team, and he's great.
Speaker 1: Luis Cochito Cruz is our guest in front of first pitch? Can you explain to us? I feel like we take for granted the greatness of Otani and what he's trying to do at age thirty one to continue to pitch and also be this great hitter. What's the recovery for him? And how do the Dodgers navigate whether or not giving him a day off when he pitches?
Speaker 2: Well, I think this Japanese culture is really like they really work like hard, but to show I have to do it like both ways, like pitching and hitting. And I think what he does, he's like, that's why we call him a unicorn. I mean a lot of other teams complain about, oh, you guys have another extra pitchure, blah blah blah, it's okay, go get a guy like Shoi. I mean, you had a chance to get Choi. You know, like they just complain because they don't have it. So I think Shoi has been great. I think he's recovery is like sleep. He'll sleep most of the time. Like I can see him on the boss when we're going to stadium, Like if he's a fifteen minute ride, he take advantage of it instead of us. We just got on the phone. You know. He he knows, he got his times and he know what to do to be good for the next day.
Speaker 1: A man of the world. Luis co Chito Cruz, thanks a lot for the time, and it's awesome to have you around every day. And certainly it was great times with you and me in twenty twelve and twenty thirteen. And we'll keep it going now.
Speaker 2: Thank you, David. Go dogs and go for the tripping. Let's go for