Speaker 1: The following is an exclusive presentation of Seattle Rain Soccer on Sports Radio nine fifty kJ.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday, Everybody, Welcome back to Rain on the radio.
Speaker 3: Sports Radio nine am. This is Seattle Rain FC Soccer Jackson Felts alongside Stephanie Virjoya and Kwame Apia. We are going to take you through Tonight's Rain versus Boston Legacy match. It's the first ever match between these clubs. Boston Legacy is one of the newest NWSL teams alongside of Denver and Tonight they are hosting Seattle Rain FC. They're hosting them actually in Rhode Island. It's the first ever women's professional soccer match in Rhode Island in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, at the home of Rhode Island FC. And Stephanie, you have a noah history playing in Boston, the old Boston team, the Boston Breakers, and there is a legacy of soccer in Boston even before this new Legacy team there is.
Speaker 4: I mean, Boston was one of the best teams in kind of all the three previous professional leagues. They were one of the kind of tried and true, the team that they people could rely on. So every time a new league was formed, they were actually one of the first ones in and so you know, it was devastating when the Boston break was folded. I loved playing there. I love the city. There's such an energy there for sports fans, and I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to be there. Now it's new, it's this whole new break, this new Boston legacy. We were just talking about it that uniforms are bright, they're just they're here.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a new phase I think for Boston soccer.
Speaker 3: Green and pink. It's an interesting combination that we'll certainly see well on our monitors today and on this field here in Rhode Island. And the real story of this game for the Rain side is can Seattle score quickly? We'll give you the starting lineup from head coach Laura Harvey. Laura was not happy what happened last Friday. They lost to nothing to Gotham. It was her birthday and she had a bad birthday considering the team lost to nothing. She was so angry that she said she didn't get dressed on Saturday. It was just pajamas and a grump all day. Then they digged into film. Then they digged into some fixes and they have a new lineup. This is the tenth new starting lineup for the rain in their tenth game. They're three four and two. Today is their tenth game as they sit right now in ninth place with eleven points, and this new lineup has Claudia Dicky in goal. Madison Curry will be your left back, Jordan Bug finally getting a start. She's one of your center backs on the left side. Phebe mcclernan is your right sided center back. Sophia Huerta as your right back, has James Turner and Ainsley McCammon will hold. In the midfield. Maddie Dollen, Sally Menti Hollyward are your attacking midfielders with Maddie Mercado up top and Kwame. This attack for the rain we've seen some different elements in some games, but the big question is will this be the that can get the team's first goal in five plus games? Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know, having Jordan Bug back is actually an interesting, you know, kind of opportunity as well, because from someone who had the rain FC goal of the year last season, right, you're now introducing another defender into the mix who can actually transition and join the attack. And so obviously we're looking at the attack to create the goals and opportunities. But we have added another element now which gives us a little bit of an extra boost.
Speaker 3: Stephanie, I think the question really is is this going to be the group? When you look at Holly Ward, who's getting her second start of the year today, When you look at Sally Menti, the Roosevelt High School lum, Maddie Donneen, her speed on the left side, Mercado up top, you don't have a me official. You don't have a few players Cocoamandaci or Brady Ratcliff who've scored a lot of goals this year as as a trio. You don't have that. But can this group produce?
Speaker 4: I think the answer is always yes. And I hate to use the term rebuilding, and I feel like that everyone hates that word, right, but this is a rebuilding year. I mean, losing she was just a stall war in that midfield for them, and so not having her not se me having some big player names in there.
Speaker 5: We have really young kids.
Speaker 4: I mean, we've talked about it over and over again on these broadcasts. Seventeen year old's, twenty year old's, twenty four year olds. Some of the players that we're asking to do the most. I mean Madame Mercado twenty five years old, right, And I think the answer is they have energy. They're here, they're going to try and figure it out. And it makes sense that Laura keeps trying new things because they are trying to figure out.
Speaker 5: Who they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it's a good point. And this is a defensive first team and we certainly need to see the offense come forward. The great stat that I heard on the one of the broadcast calls was the fact that over the last four years in the NWSL West Coast teams have won only twenty six of their games on the East coast. Seattle is ten percent above that line at thirty six percent, and the Reign have gotten at least a point in sixty percent of those East Coast games and Kwame, that's a number that's certainly encouraging to Laura Harvey. But it's gonna take a lot more than just the travel to the East coast. They went out on Wednesday and you've had a couple of days, but this is gonna be a long road trip for this team. They play at Washington next Saturday. This is the first of the bunch, and they're gonna need quality in addition to that great road trip. Legacy, if I want to use that word again.
Speaker 6: For sure, you know, I think the Rain is a regardless off. I think the streak that's currently going on, the Rain is a team that has a great identity. They know exactly how they play them and they know exactly how they want to transition, how to defend. I think the missing piece has been how to attack, and so that's what we're going to try to see today. I think ultimately it comes down to taking all of those core tools that are already there and then transitioning it into that Ford and I feel like the Legacy are still building an identity. So it gives us an opportunity. Right with the structure of the Rain, do we have ways to step into the pockets where there might be a bit of a misalignment on the Legacy side, where they don't know exactly where to be at the right time. Can we take advantage of that experience?
Speaker 3: Well, that conversation about the Legacy perfectly trans Zis and us to talk about them. We will take a break, and we'll do that really quickly. Though. We'll dive intoto this CVS team health report. CBS knows that healthier happens together. That's why CVS is on your side right when you need them the most. CVS Health the official health and wellness partner of Seattle Rain. F see for the rain two players out, Just two players, Lynn Biandolo she's still on maternity leave, and Jess Fishlock with that lower leg injury. Nobody else on the injury report for Seattle. Meanwhile, for Boston, there is quite a few. One of their defenders Kaka has an ankle injury. She's out, Fazia Najema she has a thigh injury. Chloe Ricketts she has an ankle injury. All of them are out. Les Aarujo is questionable. She is available for Boston. Let's take a break and let's talk about this Boston Legacy team. It is an interesting one, Kwame, you said it. They're trying to figure out who they are, and more than just simply the players building out of an expansion side, They're trying to figure out how the heck they play. We're here right now, try talking about how the heck they play? We'll tell you and bring you into our conversation ongoing here about the legacy. As we count you down to kickoff, it's Seattle RAINFC versus Boston Legacy or kickoff in about ten minutes Here on Sports Radio nine to fifty KJR AM.
Speaker 7: It's Mike home Grin. My years of coaching taught me the value of smart decisions. If you're looking for a great vehicle, Toyota of Kirkland makes that choice easy. Toyota of Kirkland's pre owned inventory is loaded with dependable cars, trucks and SUVs, all inspected, all priced right, and all ready to drive home today. Stop in today or visit Toyotafkirkland dot com and experience why they're the number one Toyota dealership in the Northwest. Toyota of Kirkland the right call every time.
Speaker 8: Team Mobile has an exclusive bundle for customers fifty five.
Speaker 3: And I'm Sarah Bowl, Yeah, I'm frightful.
Speaker 5: A reliable network.
Speaker 9: Is key for us, and with T Mobile it's been wonderful going on.
Speaker 4: The fifty five plus plan saved usn't sound money a lot, and that's important. Trying to keep costs down the whole Internet's been perfect.
Speaker 5: It's fast, it's quick.
Speaker 4: The setup was so easy it took less than fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: It was like, if you want simplicity, coverage, reliability, you want the whole package. Tea Mobile Acid.
Speaker 8: Right now, Tea Mobile customers fifty five and THEO.
Speaker 3: We can get two phone lines on America's best network plus America's fastest five G home Internet for just thirty bucks each thirty dollars per month.
Speaker 10: He's lying with autopapless taxes and fees, a minimum age fifty five pricing for home Internet relying two lines of potentials choice fifty five thirty five dollars connection charge per line required, best mobile network and fastest five G home Internet based on analysis by oaklif speed Test Intelligence Data two, Age twenty twenty five.
Speaker 11: All rights reserved, totally, rad and totally it's no homish pud. Slash energy costs and upgrade your crib with rebates on windows, insulation, heat pumps, water heaters, smart thermostats, and like so.
Speaker 12: Much much more.
Speaker 13: Since nineteen eighty, snow Homish Peaud has been stoked to help customers save energy and money. Discover rebates and no cost energy tips at snowpud dot Com slash rebates.
Speaker 3: Get in the Zone. Welcome to markdowns for miles at AutoZone.
Speaker 4: Thanks is Oil markdown.
Speaker 3: Save up to fifteen dollars when you buy five ports in a filter and fuel treatment two for nine dollars.
Speaker 14: On Lucas break pads marked down two free free, Get free Dura Last breakpads when you buy two dour Last roaders.
Speaker 4: That's several markdowns.
Speaker 3: For many more miles. Get in the zone.
Speaker 15: Zone restrictions apply your home for the Dan Patrick Show weekdays six to nine am on Sports Radio nine fifty KJR.
Speaker 3: But the means do not to stop the job eight the I need you to stay stay please, don't always sing me.
Speaker 10: I mean.
Speaker 13: And when you go in point ab I.
Speaker 3: Mean ju does they say please? They'll always remember it is me.
Speaker 16: Don't drive distracted.
Speaker 17: A message brought to you by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Project yellow Light and the AD Council.
Speaker 1: The following is an exclusive presentation of Seattle Rainsucker on Sports Radio nine fifty KJU.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to rain on the Radio, Jackson Felt, Stephanie Verdoya, kwamea Pia. We are broadcasting for Seattle Rain FC versus Boston Legacy kicking off here in just over ten minutes here on Sports Radio nine to fifty KJR AM Rain coming to this match right now ninth place at eleven points in NWSL three four and two record. Beneath them in the table is Boston Legacy. They are two five and three, two points back of Seattle in fourth point fourteenth place. They opened their season with five straight losses. They are an expansion team, so that's not unheard of, but in those five losses they were shut out four times. But since then they've been unbeaten, two to zero to three run wins against Denver and Orlando and draws against North Carolina, Gotham, who Seattle lost to to nothing last week, and BAFC, where they got a one to one draw last week. In that game against Bay By the way, their captain leader, center back Beyonca Saint George's she got a red card, her second red card of the year that leads the league in red cards. She is out. So they have a new center back, Laurel Asbro starting today in the middle of that kind of strange back three. And let's let's kind of open the discussion as Stephanie kwame to talk about how this Boston team is going to play, because I've watched a couple games of theirs, and they have what's called a three to one buildout. And now, you know, inten soccer fans might actually hear like, Okay, I've heard of, you know, four to two, Bill, I've heard of, you know, various kind of things, a three one where you have three center backs and then one defensive midfielder in front of them. It's an unusual set up, Stephanie.
Speaker 4: It can be. Yeah, So three at the back, you know, four defenders at the back is what we consider kind of standard normal, if you will. And so three at the back, you're doing a lot of things there. Either you're hoping you have maybe some two wing backs come back and help out, which Boston might do at certain points. But what they really like to do is with three at the back, and with that one holding mid carriage who kind of anchors in there in front of them, she can drop into their line like another center back. She doesn't always do that, not consistently. She can also stay a little higher, allow those wide players to get even higher. And then the whole idea is that you're putting more numbers higher up the pitch to create more spacing, more combination play.
Speaker 5: The risk is you only have three at the back.
Speaker 6: Yeah, which it's interesting seeing a team that's still forming an identity to have three at the back, because typically you want things to feel a bit more consistent, and when you want consistency, you go with a standard line. You go with two center backs. You can move left, move right, talking, unison, communicate. I think the communication is a big part of it. When you go with three at the back, you are definitely you're trying to set a certain standard of I don't want anything coming through the middle, and so they're okay with things going out wide. You have the two wing backs which are pushing box the box. So the interesting conversation today is going to be does Seattle take advantage of that? Because Seattle is significantly strong at attacking from the wings, So can we do that well?
Speaker 3: Laurel Harvey talked about how this team, obviously we mentioned it has not scored in five plus games. She said, we need to change it up because quote why not that it hasn't been working. We need to try some new things. In that sense, She also said when you're in a rut. You don't care how you score. You just need to score. Quote, we just need that one. It can come off of a piece of hair or an eyebrow. And you know, Stephanie, when we look at the Seattle system, you said it that when you're working with three center backs and one defensive midfielder, it's going to leave you open at the back. If Seattle is going to finally get off the schneid and score today, no matter who their personnel is, this is the team to do it against.
Speaker 5: I think that's true.
Speaker 4: I mean, like Kwame said, there's not a lot of consistency there and who this Boston team is when they're defending, and so it kind of gives us great opening for Seattle to be like, hey, you don't have to go up the line every time to sof we are sofioherta to get a cross in. You know, maybe we do something up the middle, maybe we try shots farther outside the box, which which we haven't seen too much this year. And so it does create a good opening to a little bit more freedom, little bit more creativity. I mean, Laura Harvey is an incredible coach at creating a system and getting players to develop in that system. And I think you could hear it in her voice this week when she talked about it.
Speaker 5: What this team needs is just something. It can be a piece of.
Speaker 4: Hair, you know, it can be a defender scoring, it can be something unexpected. And teams go through these these moments. In long seasons, you are going to have times where you don't score. This is an especially long one, and so there's a desperation there.
Speaker 3: Desperation is interesting, Kwame because when you talk about a Seattle team that's obviously does not have a win in their last five because they haven't scored. We need this team to continue to get results because we've slipped. I mean, at one point, I think our first broadcast for Rain, at one point they were tied for second place in NWSL. They've slipped all the way to ninth right now. And when we talk about how they're attacking, it's such an interesting and important part because it has been different personnel of all these games, and we were talking before the show about how different types of wingers and different types of attacking midfielders can get this team in better scoring positions.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it is interesting. I feel like Seattle has a certain dynamic play which actually accomplishes what you want your team to do, which is get into the attack and get balls in the box. But we just haven't had the numbers in the box to convert. And so where do we go from here? And I think obviously football is a game of inches, so it comes down to those one little moment, one little game opportunity. You just have to make sure you get that opportunity into the box if you can convert. When we spoke to Maddy over you know, over the week, the major thing was we just want to open the floodgates, right. I think sometimes it becomes a confidence thing. You know, a lot of stress on your shoulders. It's just a matter of converting that one goal that they just give you that big exhale. Once that exhale is accomplished, Dan Kes right, right, once that's done, then it just feels like we can really start unloading. So today we just got to make sure we put one in the box where this team is giving us opportunities to Once we get that exhale, it's it's, you know, full speed ahead.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about the matchup that that Laura Harvey, head coach, wants today, and that is going up against the physicality of Boston and they are a very very physical team from everything that I've seen, from everything that we've heard. Meanwhile, Laura Harvey says, we can go physical for physical and we can play Cocoa Mondasy, or we can play me official, or we can counter that. And Stephanie they are countering that with her picks in the attack today.
Speaker 4: I think that's definitely true. Like you said, Coco Mondasy player Sam Mesa as well. Those are players that you just see them in tackles. They're very physical, They're great at putting their body kind of on the line and creating some disruption there for other teams. And so I actually do really like what Harvey's going with here, which is let's almost dance around them. They're going to do emergency defending. They're going to drop their three, they're going to come in hard. I mean, you know, if you have a team that's leading the league in red cards, I know it's just one player, but you know they're doing some type of defending there, and so it's it's dance around them. Be quick, play, move the ball, and create a lot of chances because that's what they need most.
Speaker 3: Kwamee, what do you want to see from the wingers today specifically and how they move and how they attack. As she's talking about that emergency defending that they'll see.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I want to see our wingers get into the middle just a little bit more right. I want to see service coming from our outside backs. We have one, you know, an incredible assist leader and THENWSL when we think about Sophia. So it's all about making sure we get bodies in the box. And if we have our wingers drifting wide and our outside backs drifting wide as well, we're just creating a redundancy to people who are creating the same role to just the same thing, which takes one extra attacker away from the box. And we want to make sure we get in that box for the opportunities.
Speaker 3: Yes, Sophia Hortz has thirty seven career assists off of that right back position, so you'll see her for sure get up into that top attack. Holly Ward. Will be interesting to see our right winger today, see how she plays and if she indeed cuts in like we're talking about. This is Boston Legacy FC versus Seattle Rain FC, the first ever professional women's soccer match in Patucket, Rhode Island, and the whole state of Rhode Island that's never seen a game like this. We will take a break for the national anthem. We will come back and then we will have kickoff. It's Seattle versus Boston for the first time ever. With this Boston team will get you. The call is Kickoff his next on sports radio at nine to fifty km. Hey, deck fan, here with the.
Speaker 18: Weather we've had this spring golf season started early for us here in the Northwest. But regardless of how great the weather is, no one wants to pay full price for a round of golf.
Speaker 3: Well I got good news for you.
Speaker 18: We still have a few around the Sound golf passes available nine rounds of golf fantastic tracks like Whitehorse avalon seaters at dungeoness Port, Ludlow and more for just two nineteen. That's less than twenty five bucks a round. But this is your last chance. Pick up your round the Soald Golf Fest today at Seattlegolffest dot com.
Speaker 19: Okay, so the other day I got myself watching one of those Sunset Chevrolet commercials on TV.
Speaker 3: I just love those things.
Speaker 19: Anyway, I wondered, who really is the number one volume Chevrolet dealer in Washington State?
Speaker 3: And why?
Speaker 19: So I picked up my smart phone because it's smart, and I asked Siri. She knows everything right, and here's what she said.
Speaker 9: Sunset Chevrolet in Sumner, Washington consistently ranks as Washington State's number one Chevrolet dealership by sales volume. It's mainly because of exclusive customer benefits like warranty protection for life and oil changes for life. High customer satisfaction and a vast inventory are also responsible. Sunset Chevrolet has held this top position for nearly two decades by focusing on customer loyalty through these unique added value programs, longevity and consistency. That's why Sunset Chevrolet is number one.
Speaker 20: So, Siri, why would anyone get a new Chevrolet anywhere else when the prices invoices and MSRPs are all about the same every Chevy dealership.
Speaker 9: Sorry, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Tell you what.
Speaker 19: Go to Syrie, Lexa or whoever you go to for these questions and ask them the same question.
Speaker 3: You'll see what I mean. It's true, you.
Speaker 19: Just get more at Sunset and people do.
Speaker 21: Like that, finding great candidates to hire can be like well trying to find a needle in a haystack. Sure, you can post your job to some job board, but then all you can do is hope the right person comes along, which is why you should try ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free. ZipRecruiter doesn't depend on candidates finding you, It finds them for you. It's powerful technology identifies people with the right experience and actively invites them to apply to your job. You get qualified candidates fast, so while other companies might deliver a lot of hey, ZipRecruiter finds you what you're looking for, the needle in the haystack.
Speaker 22: See why four out of five employers who post a job in ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate within the first day. ZipRecruiter the smartest way to hire, and right now you can try ZipRecruiter for free. That's right free at ZipRecruiter dot com, slash free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash free, ZipRecruiter dot Com slash free, zipercudo.
Speaker 15: It's riches, tax free, Memorial Day Sale riches, pay your sales tax on products in every department store y plus save up to an additional fifty percent off richest stunning selection of outdoor furniture and Memorial Days.
Speaker 17: Don't play seatag airport will let where DeLay's construction and staffing issues can hamper your travel plans. Skip SEATAG and fly Seaport Air from Boeing Field with daily non stops to Portland's Bocane. No TSA, no hassles, Just show up fifteen minutes before your flights. Book now at fly seaport Air dot com.
Speaker 1: The following is an exclusive presentation of Seattle Rainsucker on Sports Radio nine fifty KJU.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Rain on the Radio. Seattle Rain FC in their tenth game of the NWSL season tonight, facing the Boston Legacy, who are in their eleventh game so far. Boston right now two five and three going up against Seattle at three four and two, Seattle at a ninth place with eleven points, Boston at fourteenth place with nine points. So certainly do not want to see three points for Boston swing them above Seattle. But it's a rain team that has not scored in their last five games. Let's get into this matchup a little bit more before we get to kickoff, which is just a few seconds away. The return today of nineteen year old center back. She is a young phenom, Jordan Bug. She's been out with two different lower leg injuries so far this season. Jordan Bug is back. She's back starting at center back on that left side, Stephanie. That is a huge addition for Laura Harvey.
Speaker 4: It is especially like we said before, defense is a main focus in this team and in this structure of play that she likes to run through. And Phoebe mclarnan is great and she's really held down the fort there, but Phoebe can be a little a little unpredictable I think at times for Laura Harvey and so adding in someone like Bug who can be very consistent, very composed, I mean, it's incredible. She's so composed for how young she is. She has a great balance to mclernan.
Speaker 3: Kwame. This is a team that you have leaders on this team, but the absence of Jeff Fishlock, and I think casual soccer fans in Seattle all know the name Jef Fishlock. Casual sports fans in the city definitely named Jeff Fishlock legend from the beginning. The news came out last month that she will retire at the end of the twenty twenty sixth season. She was the last remaining club original from twenty thirteen. She'll be celebrated later this year on October second against North Carolina during the Queen's Match. Then right after her announcement on April twenty six she had a major lower leg injury. The air cast the stretcher good news. X rays were negative. She will be back this summer, but making up for her impact not only in the attack Kwame, but her impact as a leader on this team is something that Jordan Bug can certainly help with. That is major, and that is true.
Speaker 6: We are definitely missing her a lot, And I think a major thing to think about there is the identity of a team. When you take such a key piece away from the team, it definitely removes some identity. But when we think about Jordan coming back, I compare it to a one of the biggest, most important soccer drills that you will ever do.
Speaker 3: It's called power and finesse.
Speaker 6: So we have Phoebe as that power, that dominant player, and we have Jordan as a really finesse player, some who can actually touch the ball, pass the ball off, get it back and is really great at giving deep balls here. So hopefully we get some opportunities to go longer with that.
Speaker 3: Seattle Rain in their blue surge kits tonight Boston Legacy and they're all green jerseys. It's the first ever women's professional soccer match in Rhode Island, Boston, Seattle. Of course Boston had it the Boston Breakers of the NWSL they folded a while back. This is a new expansion team new to twenty twenty six in this season. Soccer was gone in Boston for nearly a decade, but it is back and it is in Rhode Island tonight. And after a little false start, we are now underway in Rhode Island, and it's a second false start. The referee really wants to be exact exactly when he wants to kick this thing off, and our referee tonight is John Motto, and he kicks things off. Is now it goes back to Claudia Dickie and she will send it all the way forward as this game is underway from Centralville Bank Stadium in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. Welcome in everybody, Jackson Felt, Stephanie Verdoya, Kwamea Pia it is Rain on the radio, Seattle Rain EFC versus Boston Legacy. Good to have you with us, as Boston will have a throw in on the far side the right to start this game off. After that long kick from Claudia Dickie. It's a very sounder Seahawk like colors here with the green of Boston and the blue of Seattle all night contrasting colors on the field here in Rhode Island as Seattle Rain now ball into the box trying to find Maddy Mercado, but is headed away by a Boston defender. Still with the rain here on this left side, it's Maddy Dollen cutting in, trying to cross takes a tip that will be out. It appears for a Rain corner here in the first minute of this game.
Speaker 4: And I really hope to see a lot of that from Mattie Dolly and she kind of drives toward the end line there and tries to get around to her defender. It's exactly what Kwalmi was talking about pregame of just not staying wide. Can we drag those defenders inside? Can we cut across them, send crosses in or gets shots off. She did that great a few weeks ago, so hopefully she keeps bringing that energy and it forces them to defend in multiple ways.
Speaker 3: Roosevelt High School lum Sally Menti will be taking this corner kick from the far side. It'll be an inswinger and it's going far to the top of the box. She has a couple players headed back still with the Rain Jordan Bugs shot will go into the stands and it'll be a goalkick for Austin's goalkeeper Casey Murphy, who has some history with Seattle. Actually, she was part of the Rain in twenty nineteen and twenty twenty, made twenty appearances and it was cut short in twenty twenty because of the COVID shortened year, but started the majority of games in goal for Seattle Rain back in twenty nineteen. And here she is now in Boston and she sends it off to the right, long ball forward, but a good job getting in the way of that one. It's Madison Curry Curry to Dalen out for a throw in for Seattle two minutes into this one.
Speaker 4: And Casey Murphy also has some women's national team experience. She's a really solid keeper, so it's not going to be an easy night where they're going to hope to get something. You know, Flukey, she's solid in the back.
Speaker 3: Seattle here on the left. Here's Mattie Doleen chanced to cross it in has Mercado. It is tipped away still with the rain. Now on this right side for Huerta Blerta with some space, she will cross it with her left foot, takes a deflection. Now here's Boston with it. They will try to get going fast. It's a team in the Boston Legacy who are have an interesting structure and right now they are pinned back by Seattle, who's been on the front foot since the opening seconds of this game. Now here is where it's on the right side, working with some midfielders. Has to play it all the way back to mcclernan and to Bug on this left side. As Seattle resets to the left and it's cut out a good shot there Mi Michelle Prince to take it away from Boston coming up this right wing. Prince working on two rain players, cuts in, get some space, crossing it over to the little park and now over to the left side. Boston with more space on this counter attack, cross gonna come in and it will go just above that crossbar and we'll land on the top of that net. As Seattle did well to not let anything too dangerous in the middle of the box on that counter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think that's just a really good example. The play we saw there of how open this game is going to be was very transitional soccer. So Boston crossed into the attacking half in Seattle's defensive half and only two or three passes, big long passes that broke down Seattle's defense even though they were set and organized. So that's gonna have to be something they watch out for, because if Boston can break that down that quickly, they're going to create some issues.
Speaker 3: I saw the concerned look of Boston head coach Philip Patel a moment ago, as Seattle right now getting the way of that one. They will be trying to break on this left side, but not able to gather that one, and Boston will take it away in their own end. Kwame. We're now four and a half minutes into this game, and you saw the concerned look on Boston head coach's face, and we kind of wondered how these first few minutes would run with this buildout. We are seeing it with a very wide open defense for Boston.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it looks like transition is going to be a really big part of this game, like stuff.
Speaker 3: He was saying.
Speaker 6: I think right now it's going to feel a bit pig ping pongy right for a little bit of time.
Speaker 3: I'm it's gonna go back and forth a lot.
Speaker 6: I think maybe the concern look was because of the speed of transition, because once that ball was won almost in the rains half, it took quite a while for them to transition. So yeah, maybe a little bit of a speed of transition issue right now.
Speaker 3: And here is Boston now coming up on the right side with Prince Prince up to Triore working on Madison. Curry gets some space now, crossing it into Princes Princesson's space in the box, crossing it to the top, back out to another players. Shot takes those slight deflection and it's going to be out for a corner kick. Here in the sixth minute, a long distance shot from Olaveri who was able to get that ball back from Triori in the top of the box, and nothing for Claudia Dicky to do there as it took it to flunction and went well wide but now the ragin defense will have to deal with this corner kick coming early in Puttucket, Rhode Island, where Boston is playing seven matches this year. They played a few others at Gillette Stadium, the home of the New England Patriots and New England Revolution, and then next year they will transfer to their new home home in actual Boston proper. Here comes the corner. They go short, now very going long, headed away, and the rain got a couple bodies on that one. It will go out for another corner kit coming from the same spot for I believe this will be now Canoe taking this one. Alba Cana, the Spaniard, will be taking this one. This will not go short this time. She has somebody running into help, but she will take a long end swinger going into the box headed away. Boston's still with it now, but it's taken away from the rain, cleared up the field, anybody there, No Boston will take this one, but give away right back rain chance to transition going away up the field. Can mat E Murcatta get to the end of that one. She cannot. Casey Murphy just have to dump it over to her left. Boston gonna try to transition come away with it, but they cannot control it. Will go out for a Rain throwing here in the seventh minute.
Speaker 4: And you know, I don't think Rain actually wants to play the transition game with Boston.
Speaker 5: I think there's strong at it.
Speaker 4: I think you put three players at the backs that you have a ton of numbers flying forward, and they seem pretty comfortable when they're doing that. The Rain don't seem comfortable when they're playing transition soccer. And it's because Laura Harvey has coached them time and time again to keep the ball, to stay in their structure, to be creative, but to really know where they're playing and how to play together. And I think they look slightly lost right now because of that speed and the transition that Boston's pushing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's sort of you know we talked about in the pregame and is true that kind of lack of a true functional, normal starting lineup for Boston. You know there's an expansion team is the Rain will get to that in a moment. Here's the transition on the right side. Chance to cross it in here is Holly Ward on this right, uses Wheer to her right back. Now to the middle of the park cross coming in towards the far side. For Dollen heads it up looking for a handball. It is a handball penalty kick coming for Seattle. Doleen went up, headed it down. Came off of a Boston arm that was I believe Emerson Elgin. It hits her arm and the Rain will have a penalty here in the eighth minute of this game. That comes off just the upper on there. Stephanie Way, do you think of those ones are brutal?
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's true. Her arm is moving right, it kind of blocks the balls.
Speaker 4: It changes the ball's trajectory, even though it's up close to her shoulder.
Speaker 5: I do think it's a fair call, but you know, I'm.
Speaker 3: A Rain fan, so the letter of the law, it was not going anywhere too dangerous, but it comes off of an arm and the Rain will have their chance to score their first goal in five games right here, earned by Mattie Doleen, and now a chance to go up one nothing early. It is, of course Sophia A. Hoerta, the captain of this Seattle team, stepping up to the spot. She has not scored this year, has two assists forty four career NWSL goals for Sophia Hoerta, and it seems like they are taking a moment for this one. VR will look at this and we'll see if that is a true handball. We have a moment, Kwame, what do you think on that letter of the law or impact of the play refereeing.
Speaker 6: As much as we want to say that there's a strict rule of regulation that you know, it is a bit subjective at times, and I think ultimately you have to call it. If you see the ball hitting the arm which is outside a position in affecting play, that is a PK. You know, if it doesn't affect playing anyway, maybe there's a little bit more, you know, a room for interpretation, but it right here, I think it definitely affects the play in a major way.
Speaker 3: Our referee today, John Motto of var Laura Rodriguez, taking another look at this one as Maddie heads it down. It hits off of the left arm of Jorlin Carabali, Boston's right back tonight, as they are taking a extra long look at this one, Sofia Haerta, who's been with the Rain since the February of twenty twenty and going up right now against Casey Murphy, who was the Rain goalkeeper until twenty So these two have a history playing in Seattle together. As Laurel Harvey sits on her YETI cooler and takes a moment.
Speaker 4: And we're seeing a little bit of gamesmanship here. You'll see this in games now. The player who's taking the kick actually won't hold the ball. A different player will stand there because the keeper loves to come up, stand right at that player, stare him down, you know, make him feel a little intimidated. So the player who ends up taking the kick sometimes we'll kind of walk away, take some space. But it can't be understated how hard it is for this much amount of time to elapse before taking the kick. Pks are already a little stressful, and you got to wait for it now.
Speaker 5: So that's tough for Huerta.
Speaker 3: All right, here comes the call from our referee motto as Sophia Juerta. It was funny she handed the ball off to has James Turner. Then James Turner hand the ball back to Huerta. So it is the Rain twenty twenty teammates Huerta against Casey Murphy penalty kick Here in the eleventh minutes looking for the Rains first goal in five matches. Where To stands five yards from the ball, whistle blows Murphy jumping around where to her left forward shot in the back of the nets.
Speaker 2: Raine score and they have their first goal in too long and they have a lead at Boston Legacy.
Speaker 3: It's one nothing in the eleventh minutes.
Speaker 4: Just a huge, huge relief, relief, relief relief. I think that's what Kalme said before, and it really is for this team to be able to see it does not matter how it comes. Laura Harvey said that herself, where toa does a great job to step up, compose. It puts us in the corner right low on the ground, away from Murphy, and it's just it's exactly what they needed. It doesn't matter how it comes. But now they feel like they don't have to be building to that goal over and over it they have it.
Speaker 5: Now they can control the game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's it's a big composure goal.
Speaker 6: If I'm being honest with you, that much time in between the penalty being called and it being taken, the amount of rattling it does for the person who's taking that it really has to be appreciated there. So I think that no matter how that ball gets in that goal, we really have to give credit to Sophia putting that in the net. And I think ultimately now we got to build off of that. I do think set pieces are going to be a big thing for today. So how do we go from here?
Speaker 3: Boston trying to work quickly on this right side rein up now early in this game, exactly what they wanted here after five winless and if foul called over there on Prince free kick coming for Boston in Rain's own end. As this is a team in Boston that likes to throw numbers forward. They likes to transition, they like to be physical, they like to be fast. It's a team that has been unbeaten in their last five games two to zero to three, after not having a single point in their first five games of this season. Here's a ball towards the box. Here's Prince chance to cross. Did it go out first? It did go out first. A tricky quick freekick there, see, but just missed on their side.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love a trick play like that.
Speaker 4: Actually, they had the wall set up and they just played it around the outside of the wall. To a diagonal runner who kind of tries to whip the ball in a little bit too hard on the pass, so they weren't able to actually get it into the box. But you know, I love to see different set pieces like that. They're not just whipping it in. I expect them to though, because like you said, Boston's a little They can be a little chaotic in those moments. It also makes them strong and hard to defend.
Speaker 3: Speaking of chaotic, a goalkick there for our goalkeeper, Claudia Dicky went short and some high press from Boston, nearly causing a turnover. Rayne working out of that turnover. Now playing it long here on the right side, headed out it will be a rain throwing Laura Harvey and her coaching staff Scott Parkinson William want to go fast here on this right side. Where to looking for someone to throw it into. Finds Mercado now up to the left side. Can't get to don lean it can she brings it down, Defender drags her down.
Speaker 4: No call.
Speaker 3: Boston comes away with that one after a questionable note call. Boston Legacy in their bright green kits tonight Seattle and all Seattle's working left to right on your radio dial. Boston working the other way. It's on the far side after that throw in, but Boston quickly turned it over and Seattle will have a moment to breathe with Curry sending it all the way back to Claudia Dicky. Claudia Dickey who is in line to be the United States women's national team starter for a long time, only twenty six years old, and she kind of took over that starting spot last year. She was recently part of the United States women's national team games against Japan where she started two of their three games in exhibitions against Japan and on April eleventh and April seventeenth, and she is established right now to be the United States starter. As balls popping around here, but Boston trying to clear it away now still going off of multiple legs. Boston will control on this right side. A couple players go down, cannot control that one, and it'll go out for a rain. Throwing a bit back and forth, play Kwame, and you expect Boston is going to that that kind of discohesion. I suppose that we've seen from them so far this season in terms of their formations, in terms of how they build out. This is where you can exploit it even further.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think ultimately their current goal is to get as many bodies forward as possible, which can be dangerous for them defensively, but as you are still trying to freely figure out your identity, it's like, Hey, if we're gonna get anything to happen, we got to put as many numbers behind it as possible and hope that it works out.
Speaker 3: Here's Seattle working in transition. Now up the left side. Da Leen chances to cross it in, cuts it in. Da Leen chance to shoot cuts it a little further now all the way to the right side. For Wheer, it's a lot of space to cross. She will cut it in. And now here comes across a lot of blue shirts there in the box, and they come down with it working against his curry, but she is not able to corral that away from a Boston defender. It's still with the rain after a Boston clearance, and it's now out for a Seattle throwing a bit back and forth there, but a good attack for Seattle. And it's sort of callt me what you said in the pregame. You want he's in the box and there were about five Blue shirts there in the box on that attack. Yeah, I mean you're seeing it.
Speaker 6: Look right now, even though the ball is not in a crossing position, there are already two bodies in the box. So we are starting to see that effort, that real effort to get in the box and see if you can get some opportunities with that cross.
Speaker 3: Boston taking away that throw and they will be controlling here on the far side the right. Now along that back three that certainly transforms in transitions with help. They deal with a three center back, one defensive midfield of structure and send a lot of numbers forward. And here comes Boston working against some space against Seattle into the box, cuts on over to the left side, and the Rain do great to transition to fend and hold Boston up. They have it about ten yards outside of the box. Now over to this left side, chance to cross it in here here is Smith working into the box. Smith chance to shoot and it will go well wide of goal. Boston with a momentary chance there. But it's good transition defending Stephanie.
Speaker 5: It is it is.
Speaker 4: It's one thing that the Rain is very good at is getting their players behind the ball.
Speaker 5: Get we call it getting into your line.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of like the whole midfield line is back behind the ball, the defensive line is back behind the ball. So it's preventing that transition soccer where Boston can be numbers up, it can be three v two down a wing. You know that they really get back and get organized very well. It's one of their strengths.
Speaker 3: And we know Seattle likes to play out of the back, and with a high press of Boston, they will certainly be going forward.
Speaker 23: Here.
Speaker 3: Here is our goalkeeper Dickey who sends it to the middle of the park. A foul called one of our first fouls today is am'sbro one of their center backs got way up the field fouls and the rain will have another moment to breathe here against that press of Boston, and it.
Speaker 4: Is a very intense press, just so people can picture it. I mean they have five players at the top of the eighteen yard box. That is a very very aggressive press because it means they're giving up so much space behind. But if the rain can't out of it, it's obviously very dangerous amber.
Speaker 3: The rain trying to hold it here on this right side. Working with Huerta, working with Holly ward Ward who's getting her second start of the year alongside Sally Menty, who's at the number ten position, the central attacking midfielder. She's also getting her second start of the year. As the Rain try to break that press and they will still be in possession in their own end of the field, working against multiple Boston defenders. A long ball forward is deflected out and it will be deflecting and so they're gonna say it's a Boston throwing. Looked like that took a deflection off of another Boston midfielder. But they will get the throw where trying to get in the middle of that one to take it away, but it stays with Boston in Seattle's end out of some space in the middle of the park over this right side. They have prints on that right wing. One of their talented wingers on this Boston team, working on Curry, cuts in and a good job there by Maddie Doll Lean to track back and get in the way of that one. Boston will have to reset near the midpoint line of this field here in Pawtucket, Rhode Island. The first ever women's professional match in Rhode Island cuts in and in another good deflection Maddie Doleen again getting in the way that pass, sending it all the way over to this right side. Foul called Hollywood brought down free kick coming for Seattle in the nineteenth minutes, and.
Speaker 4: You know, we're seeing some struggle from the rain being able to really get out. But like we said, we don't want them to play the transition chess match with Boston because I actually think Boston might win that. But they need to get more numbers higher up the field a little quicker once they are trying to build. Once Boston loses it in their defensive hap maybe they can get war Like we were just seeing Mercado people higher up the field on the ball right now, Wh're does on it a lot, trying to build out and she's having a very hard time getting anywhere past the eighteen year old box.
Speaker 3: There's a long ball up on the left side for Doleen with Kyl Bally takes it away for Boston on that back end, just trying to shuffle that ball out but it does not get there. Seattle with it in Boston's own end working on that left side as Sally Menti, and that is going to be out for a Boston goalkick here in the twentieth minute. It is interesting because breaking Boston's press is challenging. They haven't been as many turnovers as maybe three games ago you would expect. Where three games ago the conversation was we got to stop turning it over and iron and we got to stop turning it over and it kept happening, it kept leading to goals. You think of the Utah game. That hasn't happened as much today. You just got to make sure you stay on that approach and don't turn it all over. As Boston's now working in possession on this near side the left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's absolutely important. I do think not to give her too much Gretor we're early in the game, but Bug coming back and having that presence in the back line can give a lot of people confidence of how.
Speaker 12: They can keep the ball.
Speaker 3: It's olavary now to prints on the right side, chance to cross it in, but the cross goes far too long and it will be a goalkick here for Claudia Dickey. There have been, you know, a lot of if you look at the heat map of this game, it will probably be very much in Seattle is on the end of the field, kualme, but there haven't been anything too dangerous yet for Boston. You can see the builds that you can see the as we saw the trick play on that free kick, but there hasn't been anything really great chances. Why so far in twenty minutes of this game that has the Rain leading won nothing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's when it comes down to, I know you can hear this world a million times, but the team's identity as of right now, Boston seems to really want to build on a one player identity system where it almost feels like it takes a lot of high level individual talent to really get in behind Seattle, whereas Seattle plays very team back and forth, very structural, and so you see an opportunity occasionally where Boston actually does break in with some incredible talent, but it's not gonna be consistent.
Speaker 3: It's not gonna be very consistent. So Boston break here and they if their press works as the Rain turn it over, Boston into the box trying to get it to a player, but it's clicked away. A nice job there by Vimy mcclerniny clearing that one for Seattle towards the middle of the field to Mercado working against two defenders. Unces back out and it cleared all the way to this right side. Here's Holly Ward, but the ball bounces up and hits Holly's arm. It will be a handball. Boston get the free kick Mercado quickly to get in the way of that one interception here for Seattle coming the other way quickly, and here is the middle of the park. Now to Ward on this right side Ward chance to cross it in to the middle of the park Dleen, and it's a great save there right in the arms of Casey Murphy, but a good cross there by Holly Ward. Dahleen gets to the end of it and she redirects it, unfortunately directly at the goalkeeper.
Speaker 4: And it's kind of wild how differently it feels when you're up one zero, because that would have been across that. You know, if we were zero zero, we'd be saying these are the ones they have to finish.
Speaker 5: That is still true.
Speaker 4: Dolene still needs to get some better contact on that ball. Direct that across the goalkeeper, across Murphy, and she gets contact, but she's just not there. The finishing element still isn't there for them, but it feels differently. They're up one zero, they're creating chances. This looks like good progress for the Seattle Range.
Speaker 3: And how does it come that comes over from a turnover in the middle of the field that Boston just has too many numbers forward. And once again, as we've seen for Boston a number of times this season, again they lost their first five games of the season. They were shut out four times, and that is a big reason why they send a lot of numbers forward. And when they turn it over in the middle of the park, it is easy for them to give up goals. They nearly did there to Maddie Dollen, who got a foot to the end of Hollyward's cross, but it went right at Boston's goalkeeper. And now here is Boston working in possession. A couple of players go down. They have in the middle of park. Here's Olaveri now to the right side, chance for Canota cross it in Conote to the middle of the box. Prince can't gather that one still with Boston, it will go into the arms of our goalkeeper, Claudia Dickey. But that was one of the first true dangerous moments there. Stephanie is we saw a great chance for Nachelle Prince in the middle of the box on that cross. She couldn't do anything with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's any same thing we're talking about with the Rain, those crosses, if they're in a good position and they're able to to get something, it's one. It's obviously one of the most dangerous areas of the field. It's where most of the goals are scored, right top of the eighteen, kind of in that penalty area box.
Speaker 5: And they are going to keep creating these chances.
Speaker 4: I think Boston is that team that we're seeing where they're getting numbers forward. They have a lot of numbers forward and so they weren't able to capitalize that. But that's something the Rain has to pay attention to, is how often they're trying to lump those balls. And it's it's kind of like the same it's a mirror on each side.
Speaker 3: Actually, here's Boston now working towards this left side as they cross it over, but Prince can't get it taken away and McClernand clears it out for a throw in for Seattle as it hits off a sad at Triore's foot. You know, it'll be a Seattle throwing here in the twenty fifth minute, Seattle Rain leading one nothing, Jackson felt, Stephanie Verduya, Kwamia pia here on Sports Radio nine to fifty am. This is Rain on the radio, Seattle Rain FC versus Boston Legacy FC in the first ever professional women's soccer match in Rhode Island, as Boston is playing in Rhode Island tonight. A throw and will now come for Boston. They're playing at Central Bank Stadium in Pawtucket. They will change between here and Jillette Stadium for the rest of twenty twenty six and then moved to White Stadium in twenty twenty seven for this expansion team here, and they were the Boston Breakers. This team wasn't There was another NWSL team called the Boston Breakers that folded in twenty seventeen, and our own Stephanie, you played for Boston there for a few years twenty fifteen through twenty seventeen, and so they the new team is called the Boston Legacy. There is a legacy of soccer in Boston and you were a part of it for a number of years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a.
Speaker 4: Great soccer city. I mean Seattle is a great soccer city. I don't know if there's a better one, to be honest, but Boston has Boston sports fans are let me tell you, those are some intense fans. I remember the first time I was there and one of my friends was a big Seahawks man, tried to come and, you know, jokingly make some go Seahawks cheers.
Speaker 5: I mean, it was not funny. People did not think it was funny.
Speaker 4: So this is a city that loves its sports, especially it's women's sports, and they've had great support for all the versions of the teams.
Speaker 3: They've had Ray now working in possession in their own end of the field, doing well against this Boston press now on the right side with where it to, trying to send a bolong ball Ford. She does get to Mercado, Mercado throwing a ball on on the right for Holly Ward. Ward can keep it in working one on one. Ward cuts in, goes towards the top of the box, still with Seattle, but a good job by one of their midfielders. I believe that's Hasbo to track back and get in the way of that one and Boston take it away in their own end and one thing we've seen, Kwame is is the Rain are sending a lot of balls forward, long balls towards the top because that Boston back line is really stepping up really high when they're in possession, and that is something that clearly Laura Harvey has seen is trying to exploit today.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I think the Boston you know, entire strugu is bet against bet on our defense to make sure that we can stop the ball. It seems like Seattle has a bit of a disconnect from midfield to forward. It's coming boss, coming straight from deep line or goalie right into forward's feet and they're hoping to then lay it off and then play. But it seems like Boston has done a great job winning it once we get to that forward, because it's really just becomes a one on three.
Speaker 3: Well, here's another one of those long balls and exactly what you were just saying, trying to reach Holly Ward from the back line, but another Boston defender gets in the way of that one, and it's exactly what both teams right now are trying to do. Seattle's trying to exploit those big open gaps in the high back line and Boston's defenders are just doing just well enough. But Boston is down one nothing as they work into Seattle's end. A given away back and forth foul called Rain will have a free kick now from there on end of the field. We're into the twenty eighth minute, Seattle Rain leading one to nothing on a penalty kick from Sophia Huerta in the eleventh minute of this game. An eleventh minute penalty for number eleven, the captain today who gets her first goal of the year. She has started all ten games for the Rain and gets her forty fifth career goal in NWSL and one of those players we talked about it in pregame. With the loss of Jeff Fishlock, you needed the leadership, we needed the captain, You needed the attack to step up with the loss of Jess Fishlock. And it's fitting that Sophia Houerto's the one to break the goal streak.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 4: It's such a well deserved goal for a great player, a great leader. She's clearly a great teammate. I mean people talk about her just with blowing terms. You know, she's fantastic. And I remember I was a midfielder, you know, I played in the middle of the field. So when you see a player like where To have that much success when she's trapped against a sideline, it just, oh, I don't like the feeling. You know, she has such a little space over there, and she's incredible.
Speaker 5: She does so much with it.
Speaker 3: Boston now working into the attack on this left side, chance for Sammy Smith to cross. She can't hold out one. She has to play it all the way back, but it's taken away quickly from Seattle. The Hollywood cannot control that one. It will go out forty Boston throwing will they look to go quick here? No, Sammy Smith taking a moment to throw this one in, but there is a lot of blue shirts for Seattle getting the way of that one. The ball still gets towards the top of the box, still with space for Boston. Now on the right side, here's Carra Bali and Cano tries to cut a ball over, but it's taken well there by Madison. Curry to get in the way of that one and send it all the way forward again trying to find Mercado, but just to a Boston defender. Now Boston again working in transition back again on this right side, here's Prince Prince chanced to cross it in towards the middle of the box, getting the way that one is Jordan bug but it's out for a corner kick here for Boston the thirtieth minute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and we're seeing a lot again and a lot of numbers forward for Boston. That's what happens when you have a three back, especially a high three back. So they're connecting through their midfield very well at times, and they've almost outnumbered Seattle throughout the pitch if you think about it, a four to three three versus a three five two. Essentially they really are out numbered. So the ring need to get the ball higher up the field where there could be a good matchup in that three B three up top.
Speaker 3: Here's albut Cano for this corner kick here. It'll be an out swinger here in the thirtieth minute. Here it comes with the middle of a box, redirected and redirected right at the goalkeeper for Claudia. Dicky took off a couple awkward bounces, but the United States Women's national team goalkeeper Dicky is right there to grab that one. Another one of those dangerous plays where it just hits off a couple bodies takes an odd deflection there. Leave McCammon was part of that deflection and Dicky was right there for the safe as it looks like there is a Boston player down that is Iasa Triore who's down in a lot of pain holding that left leg. And this is not good for Triore, who has three goal contributions and her ten games he's played in every game for Boston so far has Triary. She is down in a lot of pain. But let's go back quickly as we see this play, we see that where to I don't know if she's stepped on her, but certainly got in the way and kind of twisted that knee there of Triory. Stephanie, what do you see As we saw that replay.
Speaker 5: They collided a little there.
Speaker 4: It looked like Sophia hurt might have stepped down while Priory was and her knee went out slightly. I you know, don't know exactly what she's going through down there right now. I would be surprised if it was a really bad injury. It looked like she was able to at least move on it afterwards, and that's always what you're looking for with knee injury, is you know, are they down?
Speaker 5: Are they able to extend it? Can they put pressure on it?
Speaker 4: So waiting to see how it looks like for her, But I don't think there was anything malicious, and I would be surprised if.
Speaker 3: She was out qualman. Let's go back to that corner kick there from Cano that took the couple deflections, comes off of McCammon, and a good save there from Claudia Dickey. What did you see on that play? You know, it was a nice floated ball right into the box.
Speaker 6: I think right now Boston is betting on winning or getting an opportunity or scoring off of set pieces right as you can see when the ball went back off to Prince, Prince basically just ducked it and said, hey, I'm not going to take this player on one v one. We have opportunity, we have a great corner kick taker and Kanye, so what can we do here? So it was a bit bobbly, a bit scary, but you know we've got safe hands in the.
Speaker 3: Goal and Trioria will enter this field again down and was in a lot of pain. She is back up and she is back on the field. That is Boston striker good to go is Seattle's thrown. They will control here, but dealing again with this very quick Boston press and Triori very quickly joining that press as if no injury happened two minutes ago. Good to go, and here's Seattle with where it's on the right side. Cuts in uses McCammon. Now mcclernan to Dicky. Press backs off and Dickie can have a moment to breathe. Here up the field to Sally Menty. Menti gives the ball away, but it's given right back. Mclernan on it. Press is right back for Boston. Is they have four green shirts all around Seattle. Can Seattle break that press? Ball field takes a deflection off of an arm and it'll be a free kick for Seattle. And there on the end of the field here thirty third minute, Seattle leading one to nothing here tonight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and the rain are just swarmed when they're trying to build out of the back.
Speaker 5: They really are. I mean, there are green jerseys everywhere.
Speaker 4: This is a soccer that you're watching as a parent and your kids the one with the ball and you're like, just kick it, just kick it as far away as possible, because they are swarmed right now. I mean again, they have five players up at the top of the eighteen yard box, and so Dicky's looking around and where can she play.
Speaker 3: She can only send it forward, and she sends it forward to the middle of the park, trying to get it as Menty or Mercado and stays with Seattle. Is where it helps her out. Mercado goes down, they'll call back to the foot of Dickie, and here comes that Boston press, not in this moment, but they have five green shirts kind of just all around the edge of the box waiting to pounce. The moment it gets to a Seattle defender and Dickie just cap't keeping the ball at her foot where there is no press. Now a long ball forward to Mercado, headed to no one but Boston, taken away up the field of Triore, giving away to back to Seattle. Now back to Boston legacy working with it in their own end of the field. Haven't seen this much today? Is the ball is at foot of a Boston center back holding it with this back three. Now up to this left side for Sammy Smith who cuts in a lot of pressure now from Puerta, and this is where Seattle right now, leading one nothing, forcing Boston to play a little bit patiently. This is where Seattle wants to play right now, and this you don't have to play his transition, Stephanie. You can sit back, set up your defense in that setup at laural Harvey wants in the fourth three and let Boston work a little bit slower. This is much more to the liking of Harvey.
Speaker 4: Yep, definitely, this is a pace they like. They like to get in their positions. They like to have the ball in front of them so they can be organized and move as a unit, and they're doing a great job of that. I would not be shocked if Harvey completely changes their billd out plan when they come out in the second half.
Speaker 3: It is interesting. On the bench today for the team is sam Mezza. She is a dominant midfielder, a young dominant midfielder for this Seattle team. You know she didn't have as much practice this week, but she is available off the bench for Seattle and that is a major piece. If Boston wants to play this high press and a lot of pressure system, a second half substitute for sam Mezza would be a big boost for the Rain as Boston have it now on this left side all the way back to one of their center backs, and they'll have to send it now all the way back to their goalkeeper, Casey Murphy. One of the few times we've seen that today where Boston center backs are pressured all the way back to their keeper. And it's in interesting because the way they play, the high press, the run, run, run, the go, go go Plumbia, you can only do that for so long, and I think we may have seen that that number is about thirty three. Once thirty three minutes hits, they really had to slow down a fair bit in their play.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like Stephanie was saying earlier, I'm very curious to see how the second half goes in terms of actually building out a plan and going back against this. Right now, it feels like Seattle's playing a little bit into the hands of Boston's you know, plan and strategy, and it's actually giving Boston a really interesting attacking and defensive edge. And here, you know, it could be paying.
Speaker 3: Off right crossing it in the box, headed away from Madison Curry, Seattle controlling into the middle of the park now and they find some space they can a good job there by menty to earn that space and now Bom goes along to the left side. Here is McCammon working all the way up to the field. Some mercado still with Seattle. Africa is cleared back and it will now be with Seattle's back line and that pressure from Boston and not as fervent as it was ten minutes ago. As we're now just about eight minutes away from the full forty five here in this first half where Seattle is leading one nothing and a kick out of bounds there bye, that was mcammon goes for a Boston throwing here on this left side, they throw it in quick and now working a long distance shot as well, wide goes about ten yards. Why did that write post for a goalkick from Claudia.
Speaker 4: Dickey And again I think that just a little bit more composure from these midfielders. You know they're under a ton of pressure. We saw mcammon come in there. She's a huge she's really important. If sam Mes is not going to be on the field breaking up some of this play and able to move the ball forward, then mcammon.
Speaker 5: Does need to fill that role.
Speaker 4: She needs to step up, and I think she's trying to be the connector, but under this pressure, she has to be.
Speaker 5: A little bit more of like the dictator, right.
Speaker 4: She has to decide where the ball goes, she has to turn when she can. He has to move the ball higher up the field quicker.
Speaker 3: For how much Boston is pressing, it's it's definitely a testament to Seattle's defense that Boston right now has such few expected goals. I last time I saw it, it was about point one point seven on the board here, and they have not had a lot of great chances at goal after another shot goes long and wide. But Boston's press maintaining that they have not been able to create anything against the Seattle defense that has been very, very good so far this year. It's a Seattle team that so far in twenty twenty six in ninth place with eleven points, winless in their last five, looking to be on the road for a three game road stretch, this game in Boston or in Rhode Island playing against Boston, and then they'll stay on the East Coast and then go straight to play the Washington Spirit a week from to. We will have that match as well for you right here on Sports Radio nine to fifty k am foul called in the middle of the park. Boston will have a free kick from their own end here in the thirty ninth minute. And it's an interesting situation here, Stephanie, where you do have these road games on the East Coast, so staying out there you can get acclimated. It was interesting too, Laura Harvey Seddon in the trip to Boston. They went out on Wednesday and they're staying on West Coast time. They haven't transitioned at all to East Coast time yet right now for them, they are actually working where it's about five fifty pm. Their body clocks are working in the sense of we are on West Coast time right now and we aren't going to transition our bodies to East Coast time until after this game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a really interesting It's a whole new development in sports, know wellness, recovery, preparation cultures, truly. I mean it's wild. It's like how much has changed even from when I played. There's so much studies now done around sleep and how it impacts you, and so actually just trying to stick with your time, even if that means you're playing later in the day.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, it's not too much later.
Speaker 4: This would have been an eight pm game for them, so there's a lot of benefit there.
Speaker 5: And it's just you told you if you would have told people this ten years ago, that chanced across on the left side.
Speaker 3: Sorry for Seattle, here is to Hollywood on the right Hollywood has where queer. It's a ball is intercepted from Boston. Sorry interrupt step there. That's a cross into the box and one of those big chances for Seattle on a takeaway that built very very quickly for Seattle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Ward and wheart are do. We had a pretty good job of staying connected. There's been a few times where I you know, they're super dangerous when they're together and on the same page, And on that last one they both kind of missed it and weren't on the same page.
Speaker 3: Rain still have it. Foul is going to be right outside of this box. That is a clear foul about six yards outside the box. Free kick coming for the Rain here in the forty first minute, dangerous spot kuwame for this free kick. We will see if it is where to who's going to be standing over this one? In just a moment after Sally MENTI was taken down there.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, it's just going back to what we said earlier. I think this game is going to be one or lost off of set pieces. It feels like a game that's gradually being played right in that middle area. A lot of pressing, a lot of counterattack. But right now it seems like it's just back and forth. And so I do feel like some opportunities to really stop, pause and see the game in front of you could be really what wins this game?
Speaker 3: Seattle leading one to nothing on an eleventh minute penalty kick from Sofia Horta, and she will be standing over this one here in the forty second minute, just about twenty four yards from goal where former rain goalkeeper Casey Murphy sits in goal right now for Boston. The question is will she put this one on frame or will she try to cross it?
Speaker 4: There?
Speaker 3: You see Jordan bug there on that right side, maybe looking towards that back post. Here is Squerreza stepping up. She will put it right at the wall, stays with the rain minty long distance shot. We'll go into the crowd there for a goalkick.
Speaker 5: Yeah, right into the wall there.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, you never know what you're going to go for in those moments, how you're going to kind of curve it up and high end the upper V or sneak.
Speaker 5: One under the wall.
Speaker 4: That one didn't pan out, and then the kind of rebound shot. I mean, you get so excited when those come out.
Speaker 5: You know, you just really shoot for the moon.
Speaker 4: And that one was way over the Crossbard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it was you swear to trying to go under that wall. That didn't jump, but it bounced right back out and the goalkick for Boston will come in, but Boston quickly gives it away to the Rain three minutes before the break here, want both of your thoughts, Kwame and Stephanie on what the Rain need to do here in these final few minutes before the halftime whistle.
Speaker 6: I think the the wingers need to become a bit more connected to the to the you know, to the full backs. I think that's a bit of the disconnect right now. It seems like we're playing very very dominantly in the middle, trying to make sure we're finding our target nine target forward, play the ball over, get it to her feet and then hopefully she can find someone you know below her who can then send it up wide. But what we need to do is I feel like, find ways to get the ball out wide, get it out early so that they can then bring the ball in transition. But yeah, it feels like a bit of a fifty to fifty game right now, and we need to change that to, you know, something that's more consistent.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know. In these last three minutes, I'm like, just just keep it out of the defensive end. You know, Boston's just coming with so much presser and so much energy, and they don't seem dangerous when they're on the ball, but they seem very.
Speaker 5: Dangerous when we are trying to build out.
Speaker 4: And so if I'm Laura Harvey, I'm like, get it out of the back and let's let us free group at halftime.
Speaker 3: I think that's what she literally just said. There actually was here yelling on her Yettie Core. That might be a word for word. Actually, what just happened is we're now into the forty fourth minute here. Yeah, Laura might be listening to the stream. I mean, I wouldn't blame her. iHeartRadio app Sports Radio nine to fifty Kjerim Jackson felt Stephanie Vrdoya Kwame Apia calling Rain on the radio, Seattle RAINFC leading Boston LEGACYFC. One enough here as we near the half, you know, going to that time zone conversation as Boston is in possession in their own end. Calme, you played in Sweden. Imagine if you tried to stay on West Coast time while playing in Sweden. Yeah, that would be that would be something else. Boston. Now here is Prince here on this right side. Prince chance to shoot goes just over the crossbar. Prince did a good job to quickly open up a little bit of space. She says it took a deflection. She wants a corner kick, Referee John Motto saying no it did not. But a quick build there from Boston nearly results in a shot on frame.
Speaker 22: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And they're just really sneaky passes that Boston's getting in this final third. They're finding players a lot of horizontal passes, so kind of going directly across the field, finding players in that middle. And that's where Prince was. And she's a dangerous player. She's fast, she got a very good foot. You know, she could put some power on that shot. And we're lucky that didn't go in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Prince is one of their better attacking players. Has a goal to assist this year, as to nine out of their ten games so far this year. It still is Boston after a giveaway long distance shot and Dicky's able to grab that one at that near post, Claudia Dickie goes right into her diving chest, both arms around it. As the clock will strike forty five, we will see how much added time we have as a quick turnover nearly led to something for Boston. I believe that's their first legitimate shot on frame. There was a cornerkick that was kind of redirected towards Claudia Dicky, but that was a long distance shot put right at that left post. And now here's the rain trying to transition on this right side. Can it get to ward? No defender takes it away back to their goalkeeper, Casey Murphy, and Murphy has nowhere to go with it. She'll just have to send it out of bounds for a rain thrown about five yards from the end line. We are getting five minutes of added time. By the way we're into the forty fifth plus one. Five minutes will be added to this first half. Probably you'd imagine a lot of that due to the var review on what was the penalty kick for Seattle in the eleventh minute. But here is Seattle with this throw in Puerta and Ward and now Turner on this right side, trying to earn some space for a cross, but they'll have to send it all the way back out to mcclerny. Now mcclernan sending all the way into the box headed on, but all at green jerseys. They will clear it away. Seattle still with it in possession right on the middle part of this park, long ball towards the box, headed away for Boston. Mercado trying to come down with it. Now here's McCammon. Mccalmon can't get it. Boston working quickly in transition, but one misspass will hold them up just slightly. Seattle getting a lot of blue jerseys back quickly. Boston now with prints on the right side, working on Curry crossing it into the back post person there and it goes just wide. It went towards with the triory there on that back post from that cross, and as we actually headed out for a corner kick here in the forty fifth plus two as we see Trior that cross a prince and a good job by Huerta to just send it out as that was an open prince at the back post, and a good recovery there from Sophia Hortza.
Speaker 4: Yeah, excellent recovery from Sophia Fluorta.
Speaker 3: Quick corner here from Cano going short to Hasbo Hasba middle of the park to Ola Vari crossing it in towards Gold, goes up for it and not able to redirect it as Krabally one of their center backs. She sends it about twenty yards right left of the left post of Gold and that will be out for a goalkick for Claudia Dicky here with two and a half minutes to go before that halftime whistle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and just back to that defense by Huerta. I mean it's really understated sometimes how dangerous those moments are. And she did a quick check of her shoulder and really put this last final dish effort to get there right before the cross got to that back post.
Speaker 5: Player.
Speaker 4: It's what you teach young players in the game all the time. You have to follow your runner all the way through, no matter where the ball is. You got to finish out that play, and you know it's those kinds of things as the leader of this team that she's doing consistently and is keeping her team in the game. You really got to give a shout out to her.
Speaker 3: Now Boston has gotten their best few chances here of the game. In the last fifteen to twenty minutes or so. Their high press has started the work of late. But the question is how long can they go with this high press deep into the night here in Rhode Island, Seattle leading one nothing here a couple minutes coming as Seattle will earn a throw in about ten yards from the end line, Maddie Dleen balls in her hands. She has Madison Curry and Maddie Mercado to throw it into the entire left side right now for Seattle, made up of Madison's and Maddie's handing it off now to Curry, who will throw it in very short. Here in the corner is Doleen and Free says that is out for a goalkick here. You know Murphy worked quickly with it, not too quickly right here, just about seventy seconds from the halftime whistle. Seattle will love to go in with this lead and then Laurel Harvey can reset because Murphy plays it short, and then a miscommunication with Laurel ansbro her center back and she dumps it actually out of her own end for a corner kick for Seattle. Inexplicable what happened there.
Speaker 6: Well, you know, I think this could be a big opportunity. It seems Boston plays a very zonal defense when it comes to corners, so this actually could be an opportunity to put an extra one in the net before the half. Obviously a bit of a sloppy play, you know, And I think once again that comes down to a lot of pressing, a little bit of tired legs ready to get into the half.
Speaker 3: So let's see what this provides. Here's MENTI in swinger from the our side, going towards the far post. Here is Jordan Bug brings it down but can't get a shot off. It's redirected and still with Seattle. Believe that is still with mclernan, but it's out for a Boston throwing reach Jordan Bug at the back post. Stephanie, that was a heck of an opportunity.
Speaker 4: It was, and it's actually the second time so she got one very early on in the half as well. She kind of hangs out high, so kind of towards the top of the box and on that back post.
Speaker 5: Two times it has popped out to her.
Speaker 4: They are very difficult shots to hit, the ones that people think look easy, but now she kind of skies it there.
Speaker 3: All right. Well, that is the halftime whistle from our referee and Seattle will go into the break leading one nothing, Rain up with an eleventh minute penalty kip from Sophia Hortza. We'll take a break and we'll get to the halftime show. Seattle rained up looking for their first win in five matches. We'll talk about that first half next on Sports Radio nine to fifty KJRM.
Speaker 7: It's Mike Combrin and football. You're always looking ahead and the future of driving is here. At Toyota of Kirklin. If you're ready to go electric, check out the new Toyota Bezy. It's smooth, quiet and built with the same reliability Toyota is known for. Toyota Kirkland has a great selection of new BZ vehicles with the technology, range and capability to fit your everyday life. Come in for a test driver. Start your search at Toyotafkirkland dot com. Toyota of Kirkland leading the charge into what's next.
Speaker 24: It's two of the best things in life, fireworks and sprint cars, and they're together at s Gadget Speedway this Saturday nights, presented by Scadget Farmer's Supply Fuel and Propane. It's the John Carroll Classic Fireworks Show plus Hill's Meat Company, four ten sprint Cars, Exclusive Quality Customs, three sixties Sprints and Megits. Skip the line and buy online. Visits Gadget Speedway dot com. It all start seven pm this Saturday night. It's Gadget Speedway.
Speaker 12: Saving Energy Simplified.
Speaker 13: It's Nahomishpuds Rebate Center is your one stop hub for cash back on.
Speaker 12: Energy efficient upgrades from.
Speaker 13: Heat pump water heaters to all in one.
Speaker 12: Washer dryer combos.
Speaker 13: Whether you're planning a project or already made an upgrade in the last ninety days, the Rebate Center helps you check eligibility, submit receipts, and track your rebate status all in one place.
Speaker 12: Visit Snowpud dot com. Slash Rebates.
Speaker 15: It's Riches tax Free Memorial Day Sale. Riches pays your sales tax on products in every department store Wi Plus save up to an additional fifty percent off richest stunning selection of outdoor furniture and Memorial days.
Speaker 6: Everything I have I owe to the Adult Therecy Center and getting my high school diploma at age twenty two.
Speaker 11: Find free and supportive adult education centers near you at finisherdiploma dot org.
Speaker 25: Brought to you by Dollar General Literacy Foundation and the AD Council.
Speaker 1: The following is an exclusive presentation of Seattle Rainsuckers on Sports Radio nine fifty kJ forty five minutes in.
Speaker 3: The books in Rhode Island. It's Seattle one, Boston zero in the first ever professional women's soccer match in Rhode Island. This match taking place at Centralville Banks Stadium in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, where Boston Legacy FC is playing seven of their matches, this being the first this year before they open a new stadium. The expansion team playing, and the expansion team right now down one. Nothing to your Seattle reign. Let's talk about that first half. Stephanie Kwame, what do you think there from the first forty five minutes from Seattle?
Speaker 4: I think it was good, not great, to be honest, so that you know, they got a goal on the board, which basically we all talked about was like the main thing for this game. So don't want to take that away from them. It came from a PK. It came from good team effort. You have some good movement up top. But I think they're struggling still to really put their stamp on this game. And that is because Boston's press is so aggressive, and so what I would say is they need to figure out a way to be more aggressive, not just physically, but be more aggressive by moving the ball higher up the field.
Speaker 5: Otherwise I very much see Boston coming back in this game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna plus one on that one. I think it's good. I think that we've done really good job building out. I think despite all the pressure, we've found a way to find our target nine. You know, I feel like Maddie's been getting the ball to her feet. I think it now comes down to how do we connect Maddie with our midfielders and then to our wingers. And I feel like it's a game changer. And now I am starting to really see, you know, the decisions behind starting you know, highly on the wing. I think there's been a big part of tracking all the way from box to box. Boston is very much in Seattle's half, right, So you need a winger who's willing to come all the way back, put in the effort when the ball go back up the floor and hopefully you know, receive a pass.
Speaker 3: You know, moments before the first half started, we talked just for a briefly about Jordan Bug and the fact that she is back. She was out with two different lower leg injuries so far in twenty twenty six. She had come off the bench, hadn't gotten a start. But Stephanie, we look at the connection between Bug and mclernan. I mean when we talk about Lou Barnes, the Seattle rain legend, and there was the transition year last year where you know it was her last season, but last year Bug started twenty four of twenty six games. Mclernan started twenty four of twenty six games. That duo together, that camaraderie, I think we're seeing that payoff with them together again.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, there's some good continuity there. They trust each other. It's when you the back line, if players have played together before, it's it's really hard to overstate how much that helps that trust when when certain players are having to either you know, cover for one another or go up the field. And actually what we're seeing in the build up, probably because of Boston's press, but mclernan's actually cheating a little bit into the midfield at times, leaving Bug kind of to be lower on that line with the keeper. And so with Claudia Dicky back there, and you know, players feel more comfortable doing things that are slightly to their strengths but out of their comfort zone when they have players like Jordan Bugg in the back line.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I should mention as well Madison Curry who also started twenty four of twenty six games as well. So you have the entire left side of that back line. And Sophia ware To she is your regular right back. She was on loan, she came back. She started the final thirteen games of the season for Seattle as well. But right now, the rain who have not won their last five, they've not scored, they got the goal, can they get the win? We'll tell you the Keith the second half next on the halftime show with Seattle leading one nothing on Sports Radio nine to fifty KJR AM.
Speaker 23: It's softy here Memorial Day is coming up, Schools almost out, and it's time to plan that summer road trip. Right well, your first destination should be my good buddy John Schong at Bury and Toyota because they got a great big selection of new Toyotas and stock, including four runners, Tacoma and Tundra trucks, Corollas and Camry hybrids, plus the electric bzev Bury and Toyota also salutes our friends in uniform with their military rebate.
Speaker 3: Go see my friends now.
Speaker 23: At Bury and Toyota, mile west of Cetech Airport are on the web. Buryantoyota dot com.
Speaker 3: Don't go to see if you qualifying.
Speaker 21: Not all commers will qualify. Transfer fees may apply. No Albert subscription required. Albert is not a bank.
Speaker 8: Albert Instant loans are issued by Finnwis Bank member FDIC, not an actual client.
Speaker 11: Terms apply.
Speaker 12: Kylie, what's wrong?
Speaker 4: I just got hit with a car repair bill, I'm behind on rent and I feel like you can never save any money.
Speaker 3: Have you tried the Albert app?
Speaker 25: Albert is your financial assistant, helping you find ways to save and create custom budgets to actually grow your money. Plus you can get up to ten thousand dollars for big expenses, or advance up to one thousand dollars fast.
Speaker 3: When you need cash right away.
Speaker 25: Albert can get me up to ten thousand dollars exactly. Albert spots you in a pinch and helps you grow your money in the long run.
Speaker 3: I'm downloading Albert right now.
Speaker 8: Download the Albert app and use promo code build to borrow up to ten thousand dollars for whatever you need. The Albert app helps you budget better and save more money so you reach your financial goals faster. Download the Albert app right now and use promo code build to borrow up to ten thousand dollars. Use code build to borrow up to ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: It's Mike home Grin.
Speaker 7: When you spend your life in football, you learn the importance of a reliable team when it comes to taking care of your vehicle. The team at Toyota of Kokland is as good as it gets. The Toyota of Krookland Service department is fast, professional and committed to doing the right job. They use genuine Toyota barts and the latest diagnostic tools to keep your car performing at its best. You can always get into service at Toyota Kirkland because no appointment necessary. Toyota Kirkland Service you can count on every mile.
Speaker 13: Thinking about investing in home upgrades, worry less and save more with snowhomish Pud's network of trade allies. These are trusted local contractors who can install heat pumps, insulation, new windows and more. And when you work with a PEWD trade ally, you can unlock instant rebates.
Speaker 12: This means lower upfront.
Speaker 13: Costs, lower energy bills, and work done by vetted pros. Find a pewdtrade ally at snowpud dot com.
Speaker 3: Slash rebates at Navy Federal Credit Union.
Speaker 26: May is our favorite because Military Appreciation Month is our time to celebrate those who go above and beyond. We know the military community protects our country at home and abroad, takes care of their families and volunteers in their neighborhoods. That's why we've held service members, veterans and military family members for over ninety years. Learn more at Navyfederal dot org slash celebrate and Happy Military Appreciation Month. Navy Federal Credit Union, our members are the mission. Navy Federal is insured by NCUA.
Speaker 1: The following is an exclusive presentation of Seattle Rain Soccer on Sports Radio nine fifty kJ.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the halftime show. Seattle Rain leading Boston Legacy by a score of one. And now I think this is Rain on the radio. Seattle's professional women's soccer team, Seattle RAINFC in Rhode Island to face Boston Legacy tonight. Let's get to some keys to the second half. Stephanie kwalme, what are the keys to the Seattle Rain getting this victory tonight?
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So for me, I'm gonna start with a player that's on the field. I think mcammon and I mentioned this stuff for this in the first half, she needs to do a little bit of a better job kind of dictating the game. So we keep talking about Seattle's having a hard time building out. They're having a hard time building out. They get it to where too, they don't know where to go. You know, Dicky kind of floats this ball up to Mercado, but we're not holding on to it. And I think what it takes is a very very composed, strong midfielder like McCammon to demand the ball to turn when she can, to drag her defender out of space to create actually more of a pathway to Mercado and then supporting Mercado underneath Menti as well. But those players especially, I'm looking to if you're going to continue to try to build out, use them, if you're going to switch up how you build out, then we're looking at bringing on some players maybe with some energy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I honestly don't think I could have said it any better myself. You're hitting the nail on the head. I feel like we're not really having any turn and play action from mars center mids. We're just having, you know, play back. It feels like just let's keep the ball, let's play it back to our keeper. Keeper plays it over and then we go from there. We're not actually playing through the middle at all. We're playing hopeful, guessing soccer at the moment. At the end of the day, we are playing really tight as a unit, which has saved us, and I think defensively, Seattle always picks up slack and so it's been something that looks steady enough. But we want attacking play building from our midfield, so we need our midfielders to take that ball turn and actually play it forward.
Speaker 3: Let's go over who Laura Harvey has available off her bench today. Cassie Miller is the backup goalkeeper. Also has Cocoamanda ser Shay Holmes, Ryan Brown, sam Meza, me Official, Emily Mason, Brittany Ratcliffe, and Emria Domas Stephanie. That is a strong bench with offensive weapons, defensive players like the return at Shay Holmes. That's certainly somebody you can get in with Jordan Bugg perhaps on a minute limit coming back from injury. A lot of players for Laura Harvey to work with here leading.
Speaker 4: One nothing definitely, you know who I want to see me official. I just think she would come in and hold the ball up so well against the team that clearly we're going to have to play more direct and maybe quicker up the field. She's really good at that turn and play, kind of like what Kalme was saying, and I think she would change the game. I think there's others as well, like Mesa and Folks, but I would love to see the official in the next ten to fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree with that.
Speaker 6: As why I think you're basically reading my mind. I think we need a player who's going to hold that ball up. Give us an opportunity to turn play to the wingers and then let's transition and go into the attack. Right now, I think Maddy's done a fantastic job, but it's been tough. I feel like it's a lot of wasted energy because it's ball consistently to Maddie. Matty's having to fight it off, and then it becomes one v four defenders and at a certain point, you know, you get a little bit of tired legs, and so right now, fresh legs in that nine position, in that forward position to play somebody in who can hold the ball turn in the play.
Speaker 3: Its Seattle leading, Boston won nothing. We'll get to the second half next. On sports Radio nine to fifty km. Okay. So the other day I got myself watching one of those Sunset cheval At commercials on TV. I just love those things.
Speaker 19: Anyway, I wondered, who really is the number one volume cheval A dailier in Washington State?
Speaker 3: And why?
Speaker 19: So I picked up my smart bone because it's smart, and I asked Siri, she knows everything right, and here's what she said.
Speaker 9: Sunset Chevrolet in some no Washington consistently ranks as Washington State's number one Chevrolet dealership by sales volume. It's mainly because of exclusive customer benefits like warranty protection for life and oil changes for life. High customer satisfaction and a vast inventory are also responsible. Sunset Chevrolet has held this top position for nearly two decades by focusing on customer loyalty through these unique added value programs, longevity and consistency. That's why Sunset Chevrolet is number one.
Speaker 20: So, Siri, why would anyone get a new Chevrolet anywhere else when the prices invoices and MSRPs are all about the same.
Speaker 3: At every Chevy dealership.
Speaker 9: Sorry, I have no idea.
Speaker 3: Tell you what.
Speaker 19: Go to Sirie, Alexa or whoever you go to for these questions and ask them the same question.
Speaker 3: You'll see what I mean. It's true.
Speaker 19: You just get more at Sunset and people do like that.
Speaker 24: It's two of the best things in life, fireworks and sprint cars, and they're together at s Gadget Speedway this Saturday Night, presented by Scadget Bombers, Supply Fuel and Profane. It's the John Carroll Classic Fireworks Show. Plus he'll's make opery four ten Sprint Guys, Exclusive Quality custom three sixty.
Speaker 3: Sprints and megits. Skip the line and buy online visits.
Speaker 24: Gadget Speedway dot com ito stot seven pm this Saturday night.
Speaker 3: It's Gadget Speedway. Your home is your biggest investment.
Speaker 27: If you suspect foundation issues, don't panic and make a costing decision.
Speaker 3: We encourage you to do your homework.
Speaker 27: At Ramjack we do one thing, foundation, repair, family, own an operator for over twenty five years, You can trust us to tell you the truth and stand by our work with a transferable lifetime warranty. If you want an honest opinion without high pressure sales, call eight seven seven Ramjack today for your free foundation evaluation.
Speaker 3: Wa ramjaw five two.
Speaker 28: P w Your home, your savings, your children, Everything that matters to you is at stake in a divorce, and for many of our clients, a divorce was unwanted. This is Rick Jones at Goldberg Jones. Our team of experienced attorneys handle every aspect of a divorce and custody case. When stakes are high, you need a lawyer you can trust. Husbands and fathers trust Goldberg Jones. Call one eight hundred Divorce and get your phone questions answered at no charge. Servicing King Pierce and Snowhomish Kevities.
Speaker 3: I know that hiring can be challenging. You need someone to match your role perfectly well. Now you can meet them fast on ZipRecruiter.
Speaker 19: Sui Team Muty soon need your match on zip recruis.
Speaker 16: Just head to ZipRecruiter dot com slash free right now.
Speaker 3: It's right for free at ZipRecruiter dot com.
Speaker 15: Slash pretty um match on ZipRecruiter Triumph Free.
Speaker 1: The following is an exclusive presentation of Seattle Rainsucker on Sports Radio nine p fifty KJU.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to Rain on the Radio. Seattle Rain FC getting ready to kick off the second half against Boston Legacy Rain leading one nothing on an eleventh minute penalty kick by their captain Sophia Huerta in Rhode Island's first ever women's professional game in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, where Boston is playing seven of their games this year, this being the first in our referee John Model will whistle this one away as Boston in Rhode Island. We'll get this thing set off. It is funny. For Laura Harvey, head coach of Seattle Ran, her first ever win was all the way back in twenty thirteen in Boston against the old Boston Breakers that then folded in twenty seventeen. So Laura Harvey sertling with a good history in this region. I shouldn't even say. It's not the city, it's not the state. They're not even in Massachusetts. In this region of the country. Laura Harvey as good connection. And this is a Boston expansion team that was founded in twenty twenty three. This is their first season playing in NWSL. They were originally named Boss Nation FC bos Nation FC. Within minutes of that announcement, fans in Boston said, no, you don't, We are not supporting you if Boston Nation is your name. Within hours of the announcement, they put out a message saying, actually, no, we're not gonna go with that name. Six months later they became Boston Legacy FC, and they are down one. Nothing to Seattle here. As we get underway here in the second half, Boston working quickly on this right side. Now we will get to any potential changes as well in a little bit. As Boston works on that right side here with OLIVERI trying to cross it in, it will go well far of goal. And with this one that thing lead Kwalme. We talked about potential people to come off the bench. We talked about the official Coco Montas here with a lot of speed. Is another player who can really make a difference off of Laura Harvey's bench.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Coco Mantas one of the best players on the range at having the ball at her feet, and so that's gonna be a big game changer, right. I think Hollywood's in a great job tracking back and forth, but ultimately you're looking for some who you can give the ball to up there, who's going to make sure they can take that ball straight at feet down the line and provide us some service into the box.
Speaker 3: McClernand going along there. It is Boston controlling. Now they're trying to work quick here to the middle of the park. Now here's Cane on the left side cross coming in towards the far post, and no need for Claudia Dicky to jump up in that one. It's out for a goalkick here in the forty eighth minute, Stephanie. The system that we spent so much time talking about ver Boston. Their head coach, Felipa Patel, the thirty seven year old from Portugal, is an interesting system.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it definitely is.
Speaker 4: And we were just talking about how different coaches can come in with a very specific idea of what you want to get out of your players. And so when you play in a system like she is with a three five two, you can tell she's a coach that really wants her players to feel creative and free up top and a little bit more focus on goal scoring than defense, which is a classic criticism or positive you know, feedback of different types of cultures in the way they play soccer. And it's it's so fun to see her mark on the game because you can see she actually actively is forming these players in this new franchise, and you know, I expect her to be here for years to come in I think she's doing a great job with the players.
Speaker 3: Here's Seattle in possession. Now in Boston's own end. Curry will use her center backs. Boston pressed so much of that first half. Now Seattle trying to work against that press. Foul called right fifteen yards outside of the box, and Seattle will have a free kick, a chance to potentially cross this ball into the box. They will work quickly though on this left side. Here's Natty Dallen Natty Dollan in the box working against three defenders. Now back out to Curry. Curry trying to cross it in but takes it aflection, gets to a Boston boot and it will stay with the Green Shirts. But it will stay with Boston here on this near side the right and they love to transition very very quickly, and they will do again here on this right side towards the middle of the park. But mcclurin's stepping in the way of that one. Miss Jordan Bug actually great job to take that one.
Speaker 6: Away right there. You can actually see what we've been talking about at the half. We've had two opportunities now that have gone through the middle, has gone to a sixer and eight who has then turned and then played to either someone else in the midfield or someone out wide. And so we are starting to see that distribution through to midfield and that means that Laura is definitely you caught onto that and has definitely transition the game.
Speaker 3: That was the question is how exactly Laurel Harvey changes this game as it goes on and what subs may happen. Don't believe any subs made as a throw in comes for the Rain here on that right side, quickly turning his Ward, putting it under foot the shot and it takes an immediate deflection. Seattle's still with it in possession in Boston's half. Bug over to this right side working with Ward. Now here's chance for Mercado. Perhaps can't get to it, though, Boston doing a great job to grab that ball and send it out for a corner. Here in the fiftieth minute, Seattle leading won nothing.
Speaker 4: I'm just right there, aren't they? The blocked shots, the almost crosses, and again you know you want the waterfall of goals after you get that first goal of so many games not having it, and I really want them to get another one here because I think they will actually believe it that more are coming.
Speaker 3: Well, here is Minty, You'll be an outswinger here from the far side the right here in the fifty first minute, working against goalkeeper Casey Murphy former Rain goalkeeper. Now with Boston, here comes the corner going to the top of the box, does not reach Jordan Bug. I think that was the idea again, but it will stay with the Rain. That's Curry long ball towards the back post. Hast Dahlen Maddie in the back of the net. Maddie Daalen second gold for the Rain.
Speaker 2: It's two nothing Seattle, a corner kick, pop back out. The cross came in from the left side from Madison Curry. Madison to Maddie Daleen makes.
Speaker 3: It too nothing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the magic of the Maddies apparently tonight. I mean, honestly, that was a fantastic goal. Just like we were saying, they need it to believe it. You can see it on their faces. You can see it when they're celebrating and this ball comes in and it's just a perfect chipped pass and she just in the back post, just easy, nice inside of the foot volley to go across the keeper. I mean, it's very composed, a good finished, great team goal, and you can tell they believe in themselves.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the Maddie magic, we'll call it. That was incredible. I mean, one of the best crosses we've seen at the night. And you know, we haven't really seen Madison Curry too many opportunities to put the ball in the box, and I think that was floated just the perfect length, a ball that teases the keeper enough for them to come out, but not enough for them to come out and actually get.
Speaker 3: The ball from Maddie Doleen. That is her first goal of the year. She had four goals four assists in twenty six games last year, and this in her eighth game of twenty twenty six, gets her first goal and her sixth start. And it was, as you both accurately said, the magic of the Maddies. There is Seattle's entire left side today is Madison Curry, Mattie Doleen, and Mattie Mercado, and has Seattle right now leading to nothing against Boston Legacy on the road, and this would be Seattle's first win in quite a while. This would put them back into the playoff field. By the way, if they're able to wrap up these three points, and there is still thirty eight minutes to go. If they're a wrap up with these three points, they are back in that playoff picture. Throw in comes towards the box. Here is a long distant shot, takes a great save from Casey Murphy jumping to that one. I believe that was Matty Mercado, this time putting it onto her left foot and a great shot the holly ward excuse me on her left foot, great shot, forcing a big time save there from Murphy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she did a great job to receive a throw in. Actually, how often do you get a shot off after a throw in? But she receives that ball, turns her defender, kind of does a little touch around another one, and then just a great volley and yeah, really pushes Murphy to tip.
Speaker 5: It over the edge.
Speaker 3: Here's Minty. You're gonna be another outswinger here. Last time she did this it led to a goal for Seattle. Will she go long to the top of the box again. There is Jordan Bug there she will go long. There is Mercado, There is Jordan Bug, There is mcclarnin, and another deflection there is across the face of goal from mclernan is out for another corner, this time from the near side the left for Seattle. Minty will be over it again here in the fifty fourth minute rain on top of Boston. They want this third goal. They want to put this away here early in the second half, and it will be Menty again on it. The Roosevelt High School alum. We'll see if she gets a secondary assist on that goal that came just a couple of minutes ago. This will be an in swinger here in the fifty fourth minute, steps back, comes forward, going along again headed away. That is a good header there from Carra Bally of Boston. But we'll stay with Seattle now throwing about five yards from the end line. Bug will let it go.
Speaker 4: You can feel the confidence. There's some indescribable things about soccer. It's one of my favorite things. And if you're watching this game, or if you're listening, maybe just the smiles on our faces that you can hear as we're talking, you can tell the team looks more confident and just within a minute, this is what a goal does. This is what a team who hasn't scored for games, just getting those few.
Speaker 5: It's what it does for them, and it will go out for I.
Speaker 3: Believe it's another Seattle corner here. The throwing came long, did well with it. I believe that was when the cammon did well with it in the box, forcing a Seattle corner. And Laurel Harvey likes what she is seeing. Have not seen her this. I think content with the situation is probably a good word for her facial expression right now. In quite a long time with Seattle leading to nothing, here's MENTI another outswinger from that far side, going long all the way too. But it's a good the foul called in the box. But it was a good read on a Boston defender to understand that. Now it's three times that mentis wanted to go along to Jordan Bug and this time a Boston defender will get in the way of that one. But a foul is called here. It's Seattle to nothing here in the fifty fifth minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sure Laura Harvey would ever want you to call her content at the fifty fifty fifth minute.
Speaker 3: You know, she just doesn't look angry.
Speaker 4: I know, I totally agree with you, but she's gonna say I'm not content until this game is over.
Speaker 3: But I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I think she is is absolutely content with what she's seen because this is what she hoped for. It's exactly what she hoped for. When we talked about the game, there wasn't even a huge strategy.
Speaker 5: It was like, we just need something.
Speaker 3: Seattle is called for off side there a Tollyward on that right wing. She is offside on the pass there from Matti Dollen and Boston will have a free kick. As we get another look here of Matti Dollen's goal that came just a few minutes ago, and there's Laura Harvey. It is funny because you know, we've seen over these last five games where Seattle hasn't scored, we've seen a very angry and frustrated Laura Harvey. And to not see an angry and frustrated Laura Harvey is a nice Is a nice change of pace from the last few games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is. And you know, actually talking to her this week, one of my favorite things that she said, and we should mention, is that their mantra for the team is that we are the ones we are waiting for. And I think we're in that moment. She said this because the team is young. We've said it over and over again. You have young players in the squad. That's kind of like looking for someone else to lead them, and instead she's saying, no, it's it's right here, like you are what you're waiting for. And I think it's too early in the season to say that they're doing that consistently, but it's moments like this that she's going to point to and say, you guys dealt with game after game of not scoring and you figured it out and you can hold on to that and keep moving forward.
Speaker 3: Boston in possession. But it's now with Seattle with this press as Mercado and Dollen giving a little pressure to those Boston defenders here who have thirty four minutes down to nothing. Seattle leading here in Rhode Island. Casey Murphy goes trying to go along against a lot of pressure, but here is Curry on it, Curry getting in the way. Curry just had an assist trying to poke it forward to Mercado, Mrcado trying to get to the end of that one. A foul called. Boston will have a free kick from deep in their on half. But the pressure right now, kwame you feel Seattle picking up that pressure, and it's kind of reverse roles from the first half. It's Seattle with the high press, not letting Boston get comfortable, and right there on that free kick goes.
Speaker 6: Out for a Seattle throw in spoke that into existence. I mean, it comes with the confidence. Once one team gets confidence, it takes confidence away from the other team, and then every little bit of a mistake feels like extra added pressure. And so right now Boston's trying to play themselves out of that pressure and that mentality in the Yeah, right now, it seems like it's working in Seattle's favor.
Speaker 3: And here's Boston now working in possession and there on the end of the field, working with a lot of press. It's changed from Laura Harvey's working. It's a quick turnover, Seattle back with it, no opportunity for Boston to get comfortable at all right now. And this is the change we were wondering Laureal Harvey would make here in the second half. She has made it, and it is working so far. But here is now Seattle in possession, Boston with the press, high pressing from both teams. Right now, this is going to turn into a transition game. It's going to open up. And you'd love to see that third goal for Seattle that could effectively end it with thirty minutes to go. Foul called Boston now with a free kick in Seattle's end.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think we see a flurry of subs in the next you know, ten to fifteen minutes because both teams they're put like you said, they're pressing high.
Speaker 5: It's transition soccer.
Speaker 4: Two zero's you know, quote unquote the most dangerous score and so you're going to be looking for both coaches, both teams to be making at least, you know, get some fresh legs in there.
Speaker 5: Switch up the energy.
Speaker 3: Kick come as Boston. We'll control now on this right side, sending it to the forward. Here is Prince Prince working one on one now, trying to use an overlap. But some great defending there by Phoebe mcclernan, and that's shuffled out for I believe a goal kick coming here in the fifty ninth minute. Some good defending there is. We'll wait to see. I believe some subs may be on the way here. Actually, I wanted to make a note of that.
Speaker 6: The most interesting thing that just happened there was it looked like Podie was the one defending there, but our forward Mattie Mercado is the one who came all the way back to usher that out into the into a goalkick. And so that's incredible effort all the way from top to bottom. And so that's that's just a big, big, like you know, note to make there that the entire team for ninety minutes is putting there all into.
Speaker 3: Everything, player down to believe that's Maddie Dollen is down getting her lower right leg worked on by a trainer. Here in the sixtieth minute, we see the replay here Dollen just tripped up, looks like may have taken an awkward fall there here in too much pain is Mattie Doleen, but certainly is down and is in some here as this could be one of Seattle's changes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it didn't look too bad there, but they definitely got tangled up and looks like she's kind of just getting urching guard on, ready to go again.
Speaker 3: No now leading to no. We've talked about the sub ideas and the sub potential strategy from Laura Harvey in a one nothing game. Stephanie Qualmy, how does the sub pattern, How does that idea change with a too nothing game? Or does it change it all?
Speaker 5: I don't think it changes it all.
Speaker 4: For Laura Harvey in this moment in the games that they're coming off of, I think she's going to push for CoCom onduce here and for others to still come on and change the energy here because I think she knows if they get another goal that is exactly what this team needs right now, and so she wants to bring the energy regardless if it's you know, adding a third goal, or if it was adding a second, that's what she's looking for.
Speaker 5: She needs more.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean so, statistically speaking, the two zero lead is the most dangerous lead in the game of football, because soccer is a game. It's a game of momentum, and so once you get up that high and you're mentally you feel like, hey, you have the momentum, and so it kind of puts you on your heels and if one.
Speaker 3: Goal gets scored, it could change the whole game.
Speaker 6: And so you want to pretend that two zero lead is a one zero lead and you still want to go score more goals.
Speaker 3: Boston in possession on that left side, but merely giving it away here as Maddie Dalen back onto the field. She came off the field for they required a couple of minutes, and then is now back on after a high five from Laura Harvey. I thought that might have been the sign that she was coming out of this game. But she is back on now and has the ball at her feet on this left wing with Madison Curry underneath, all the way back to their center backs mcclernan bug and on the right side Sofia Huertsa out of the foot of my canon in the middle of the park, working on against some Boston pressure. Here clock ticking away Seattle with a two to nothing lead and eleventh minute penalty kick from Puerta, and just about ten minutes ago fifty first minute goal from Mattie dall Lean on the cross from Madison Curry. Doubling Seattle's lead and keeping this clean sheet for Claudia Dicky would be massive here on the road. This is a big road trip for Seattle after five games without a win. They now go on the road for this game in Rhode Island against Boston Legacy, and then next Saturday, on Tomorrow, a week from tomorrow, they will play at the Washington Spirit. We will have that game for you as well right here on sports Radio nine to fifty km a week from tomorrow. Rain at Spirit, a Spirit team that just beat Rain actually at Luminfield a couple weeks ago by a score of one to nothing in a game where Seattle actually outplayed Washington, but a late goal for the Spirit gave them that win. And now here all the Rain trying to get their own win on the East Coast in this East Coast road swing where they will play at Boston and then stay on the East Coast and play Washington again in just over a week. Sixty fourth minute here, rain leading to nothing. Boston haven't in possession on this left side, but a good takeaway there. There's Collie Ward getting in the way of that one, earning a Seattle throw in. Now that's the physicality. We talk so much about Boston's physicality. There's some great physicality there from Holly Ward stepping up and getting the ball back for Seattle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I expect just to see it a little bit more, you know, like we said, as players get tired, as this game wears on, that's when you start to see some of those fouls in that physicality. And you know, like you said, I mean, the momentum shifts of this game have been huge at moments, and I think this last five minutes was a little bit of a lull where where both teams were actually combining in the midfield, which we haven't seen too much. And you know, I think we're about to see some subs that it might might change that up.
Speaker 3: So what we're gonna see right now is a massive change for Boston and the players coming on are Lace Arujo, Nikki Hernandez. Those are two defenders, midfielders, and then Amanda Gutierrez is now on the field for Boston. That is a name we're probably gonna say a few times here in the remaining twenty six games. In twenty six minutes. Amanda Gutierres is a twenty two year old Brazilian forward. She recently played with Paul Miras in Brazil, where she scored and you're gonna hear this stat correctly. I'm not making it up. Sixty one goals in sixty seven games, almost a goal of game. Playing in Brazil and then for the Brazilian national team. At the national level, she has nine goals in twelve games thirteen games. Nine goals in thirteen games for the Brazilian national team. This is an outstanding striker that can change the whole makeup of this game.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I mean, you see those stats and if you're a rain fan, I think we joked about it at halftime, We're like, can we just please don't put her in the game.
Speaker 5: Can you just keep her out for her a little bit longer?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: She clearly, I mean, she's very, very crafty she's a skilled player. A lot of people talk to her as just someone that is very comfortable on the ball and has a lot of skills at her to put disposal. So again, this changes Laura Harvey's strategy slightly and that the back line absolutely knows who just came.
Speaker 5: Into the game.
Speaker 3: And now here is Boston with possession on this right side as they bring some additional players on, We'll see how Laura Harvey will combat those changes here in the sixty sixth minute. No changes yet so far for Seattle.
Speaker 4: In Boston with three subs at this stage. I mean, you know, we kind of said it that we thought there was going to be a flurry because they play a fast paced, high demanding type of soccer. They're pressing, they're covering a lot of ground and so besides the fact that they're down to zero and need some energy, they also play hard.
Speaker 3: And Boston taking it away a chance to break quickly here working on this left side, trying to move fast through the middle of the park. Now here's de gudieras in the middle of the field. She's dropping back but can quickly get forward and get involved. Now to this right side for Prince, but a great job by Madison Curry to hit that one out for a throw in. Boston will have to work quickly on this right side down to nothing. Twenty four minutes to go. Here's Prince coming up against Seattle's right side defenders and some good defending there. That's James Turner getting in the way of that one. And now back to has she's working up this left side ball going all the way forward Mercado, Mercado one on one with the goalkeeper shot and it's a good save there from Casey Murphy, but it is called offside. Was wondering if Mandy Mercado was off there on that ball all the way up from James Turner, and she was indeed off and Jesus breather on that one. She was.
Speaker 4: But she did a great job to get around her to offender her and actually had a great ball in and just really can get on the back shoulder of that defender and take a touch towards goal.
Speaker 5: You know, it's a hard angle.
Speaker 4: She's pretty far out wide and so she's not able to actually get it all the way across Casey Murphy like she wants to. She's trying to play it under her in that near post. But we're seeing some stuff from the rain that that you know, Kwamea and I actually were standing here cheering a little bit because they're playing through the thirds. Their midfielders are turning and that's where this play is coming from. And so again Maddie Mercado was one of those players that Laura Harvey picked out and said she creates chances, maybe the most chances actually on the team, and we're seeing that there. But it comes when those midfielders are willing to progress the ball forward.
Speaker 3: And now Boston having a possession on this left side after they made a couple changes to the both their back line midfield and then getting Gudieera's up top, we'll see if that can produce here. Now onto the right for Carl Bally, wring to head of forward for Prince. Good job by James Turner getting in the way of that one, smucking up those waters. But Boston finds some space now here on the left side, chance to cross it in for Smith head it away. There is mcclernan getting in the way of that one, but it'll stay with Boston. Now on the right side, Carl Bally, chance to cross it in takes it aflection. Good job by Madison Curry to get in the way of that cross. It will stay with Boston on this near side the right for a throw in.
Speaker 4: And that was some incredible footwork. That is footwork that you wish you could do on the field, and we'd all practice in our backyards and do when we don't have anyone pressing us. But man, that was some crafty footwork.
Speaker 3: And it will go. A free kick now coming for Boston in Seattle's end of the field. We're twenty two minutes away from stoppage time here in the second half, Seattle leading to nothing. Free kick will come from all the way at the back here from albut Cano, about thirty five yards from the end line, right hand raised. Now send it towards the middle of the park, going short, now across towards the back post, headed up. Triori heads it up right into the arms of Claudia Dickie. Easy save there for Claudia Dickie, who, by the way, with the save has hit two hundred saves in her career. By the way, congratulations to Claudia Dickie. A big milestone for the Seattle reign in the United States. Women's national team starting goalkeeper Boston still with it on this right side. Claudia may need to make a few more tonight to secure this win for Seattle, as they will clear that away takes a deflection, it will be a Seattle throwing from this near side the left twenty minutes and will wonder if this will be the first changes from Laura Harvey. It will we see three changes from Laura Harvey, Me Official, Coco, Monasir, Emily Mason all coming onto the field now for the Seattle rain here in the seventieth minute.
Speaker 4: And I think this is exactly what we thought Laura Harvey might do. It's just do not pull up, do not rest on the fact that you're up two goals. Nope, We're gonna put Coco in. We're going to put me Official in. We're going to see how much we can press and if we can get two even three more goals, you know, before the end of this game's over. I think she wants this team to believe in themselves and she wants more people to have the opportunity to have chances to put.
Speaker 5: A goal on the board.
Speaker 3: So it be Sally Mente coming out of this game Jordan Bug coming out of this game. As we now see Emily Mason. It's a straight swap at center back me official as well. Onto this game, we'll see who is the final player that came out for Seattle here for those final changes. As Boston try to work into the box, we'll get to that in a moment. The right side, Prince Chance across it in, goes towards the middle of the box, headed away nicely by McCammon. Stays with Boston on the left side now working against a couple of defenders crossing it in, headed away again, and it's this time Mason getting it away of that one. Hoyer to Clant can't clear it though, it will stay with the legacy on that left side. Mandas here getting in the way of that one is trying to muck up these waters and not let anything clean happen. But it's out for a throw in for Boston. Cross into the box quickly takes a deflection, still with the legacy, Lots of green shirts around the ball, but it's some good pressure from Seattle. Now they switch the point of attack onto the right side. Carl Bally chance to cross backpost headed up into the arms of Claudia Dicky and now a moment for Seattle to breathe here in the seventy second minute, Yeah, two.
Speaker 4: Hundred and one says, and you're right, it's a it's a big stat for Claudia Dickie, especially as such a young keeper. And it's in games like this, in moments like this where you're you're really glad that you have her because she's so strong coming out of the goal, and like we've said, it's a dangerous score line. Boston clearly is not taking their foot off the pedal, and so you know, they've had well, i'd say three or four chances in these last ten minutes, and so they really got to lock in. I know they've had some attacking subs, but making sure that Dicky and everyone in that back line is staying tuned in is really important to see this game out.
Speaker 3: Boston with a possession on their right side. I believe it was Holly Ward who also came out for Seattle. Yea, Holly Ward was the other substitute, as Coco Monassey is on that left wing. The official up top Mattie Mercado shifts to the central attacking midfielder the ten as Sally Menti has exited. So those are the three Seattle changes here as they lead to nothing. Here with eighteen minutes left to go of the ninety now Seattle attacking with some space. Chance off to the left for Dallen Dallien. Great last ditch defending there from Carl Ball, the center back for Boston at that far a post nearly got to the foot of Maddie Dollen. That was a big chance for Seattle and Boston saved themselves from being down three to nothing.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that was huge.
Speaker 4: I mean, just really slides and is able to poke it away at the last second. I think it was Matti Mercado kind of charging up the middle and was able to dish it off there. And again she's just a great player that can create chances for the rain.
Speaker 11: Here.
Speaker 3: This Coco Monasse here to take this corner kick in the seventy fourth minute, it'll be an in swinger going to the front of the box, bounces back out to Juera Juertza putting in the ball all the way towards goal. Was hoping that would be a body there towards the near post not doing I mean it, we'll go out for a goal. Kick for Casey Murphy and Boston have to work quickly here. They have to open up. They have to find two goals in sixteen minutes. But it's a quick giveaway for the Rain. Can they work fast with James Turner? She will go slow, she will send it back to Huerta, And you wonder also leading to nothing if and when time and you just take your time, you go to maybe not the corner yet, but you know, instead of progressing in that attack quickly in transition, you play it back to where to take a couple of minutes off the clock, get fouled and you had a free kick coming in Boston's end for the Rain here with fifteen sixteen minutes to play, it's.
Speaker 4: Like gentle time management at this point. I think if they were going to the corner, I would be a little worried. It's too long to go to the corner.
Speaker 5: What is this sixteen minutes?
Speaker 4: So yeah, well, you know they'll take their time when they have throw ins and when they have kicks, but definitely not to that corner yet.
Speaker 5: But eventually I do think they'll get there.
Speaker 4: With this pressure and the speediness and aggressiveness that Boston has.
Speaker 3: Free kick for Sophia Horitz sending it into the box going towards a head. It gets to Emily Mason's head, but not enough on that head or I think it might have been a kind of a more of a cushion head or to cross it to somebody, but it goes right to the goalkeeper Casey Murphy, and she will work quickly for Boston. Here's me Official with some heavy press here, not letting much time on any of these defenders. Boston have to work quickly. They're dealing with very good pressure from Seattle tonight, and that slips on through all the way to a Seattle defender Boston trying to find all the way up to Triore. Interestingly, Gudiera is kind of playing under Triore in that attack for Boston has not been overly involved just yet. The massive Brazilian talent for this Boston team. And now here's a counter attack. Can Maddie get to that one? Do Len working against Caralbali, But it's all the way back to her keeper. Now Official with presser on the Boston center back and they get out of it. More pressure coming. They force a Boston throw in. Seattle doing well right now to not give Boston any time, even in their own end of the field. Kwame.
Speaker 6: I mean you see the pressure on both sides right now. It becomes a matter of who can seal the game, who can get back into it. So everyone is putting in every bit of effort. They're making sure that that last second, that last step, that last move really really counts.
Speaker 3: Boston going along here trying to find Troy already headed away. They play there by Mason, Boston picks it up here, here's Gudieras. Gudierras has help the middle of the field. Have not too many green jerseys up the field into the final third of the park, A lot of blue shirts for Seattle or back now onto this right wing our Bally, but a good defending there from Maddy Dollen on that side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you can tell there's definitely an urgency with Boston right now. It makes sense you're down to zero, you put some new subs in. But like you were saying, Jackson, I mean, we are seeing some great pressure, some box to box defending from the Seattle rain and that is what goals give you confidence to actually play the game and see it out and to put that extra effort in and so it's really great to see the rain like ME Official coming in Maddy Dahleen, playing a whole game and still putting pressure on them the way that they are. That's what you want to see when you're in games at this stage.
Speaker 3: And Seattle's able to clear that one all the way back out to Boston's own end, but Me Official keeping that pressure up as you talk about here, clock hits seventy seven to thirteen minutes of the ninety left to go. Seattle looking for their first win in a while, a team that opened up the season with a win in Orlando, where they ended their run in twenty twenty five. In the playoffs, they lost to Parland, then went to Spokane where they got big results a win over Kansas City, the former Shield winners went over Louisville. Since then five games without a goal. They drew against Denver, lost to Utah, draw Houston, lost to Washington, and then one week ago losing at Lumenfield to Gotham FC. Five straight without get two goals tonight and are looking for their first win since that Louisville game couple months ago. Where Boston will throw a lot of numbers forward here in the final twelve plus stoppage throw in coming for the legacy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm talking about this this East Coast trip too. I mean, you know, they're lucky that they're able to kind of get out there, like you said, stay on their time zone, you know, keep kind of an even rough air work into this game, and then to also get settled there.
Speaker 5: But before they take on.
Speaker 3: Their next opponent, a yellow card coming right now to Madison Curry. Wonder if that's one of those tactical good yellows where you just don't want to let Alba Cano get too far down that right wing without anybody on her. So Madison Curry takes the yellow card to halt Boston's attack, and a free kick will come from just inside of Seattle's half. And here is Canoe over the ball looking to go along with this kick here or from just right next to the side, right next to Laura Harvey. We'll send it very long, headed away good head or there by mcclernan headed again by Boston and he goes just wide. Mcclernan headed it up and headed it to just a Boston defender who could not redirect that on frame.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and you have to be careful because a little taste of success here for Boston. You know, they're getting some, like we said, more chances. That wasn't exactly on frame, but they're dangerous. You feel like they're still in this game. And so even though there's only you know, ten minutes or so, with maybe some stoppage time, I think the feeling.
Speaker 5: Is that they're still in it.
Speaker 4: And so the worry here is if you get one, then it's kind of emergency, lock the game down. Defending the rain really don't want to go into that mode.
Speaker 3: They certainly do not, but they have the ball at the feet of Turner. Now to Mandasier Montasyr dragged back.
Speaker 1: No foul called.
Speaker 3: Nowady is a foul called, and Seattle will have a free kick just inside of Boston's half. You wonder if any other subs coming. Both teams made triple changes. Boston made their big triple change first, Seattle and Laura Harvey resaliated with a big double offensive change of me Official and Coco Mondasre. A straight swap at center back with Emily Mason and Jordan bug who had a great day defending. Now here's to Mondasere onto this right wing. Can she get to the end of that when she is dragged down, no foul call. They ruled off side. Now, Coco Mantas, You're ruled off side on that great ball there towards that prime of Cist zone on the right side. But that is also very good defending there by Nicki Hernandez. They're their left back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, excellent defending when you're going up against an incredibly fast player like Coco Mondessar who could just get around the edge of her defenders so easily. And you know, I love it when when a fast player like like Coco goes down, you know, for an offside call, and she's just in disbelief and she's like, no, I'm just so fast. It's just that I'm so fast. You didn't even see me. I was on side and I was so fast. But she gets called there.
Speaker 3: Boston making another change here Alea Gambon a forward coming out of the field now for one of their center backs, Jordan Clara Balilara Bali has been part of so many attacks and she just had that header that went off frame a few minutes ago. She exits this game. Is Boston throwing another number forward? Can Seattle break those numbers and get a third decisive goal that just will put this game within no doubt.
Speaker 4: I mean that's a pretty aggressive move to bring in that extra forward there. I think that's a clear sign from Patao that this game is not over. I think she actually it almost seems like they're going to a two back.
Speaker 3: That's what they look like they are. Yeah, right now they're working with a two BAC system of Nicki Hernandez and Lesa Rujo, who, by the way, was questionable in this coming into this game with a thigh injury. Here she is playing in what is a no very very little defensive set here, but into the box here is Gudier As. Gudia has turned shoots and that shot will go maybe two Massachusetts in the eighty second minute rain leading to nothing. You like that one? That was good for as much talent Goudiere as has, she's not able to work enough there against three rain defenders. Turns and shoots, can't get that one on frame, and the Brazilian talent will want that one back because Boston cannot let any of those opportunities go to waste, and they will foul me official there. That's the whole up play that you were talking about wanting me official on at halftime, talking about that hold up play. She does have the hold up. She earns a foul here in the eighty third.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she does a great job, right, just balls that kind of even holes in the air and it's really hard to hold up while your defenders trying to kind of bump you off and create better positioning.
Speaker 5: Does such a good job.
Speaker 4: And so whether it's getting the foul or actually coming out of that with possession, it's one of her best skills.
Speaker 3: And it will actually be Claudia Dicky to take this free kick from Seattle's own end, going along to Mondasere, headed away from Nikki Hernandez. As we see a Boston team that now that they have to defend their throwing a lot of migfielders along that back line, just to have bodies along the Seattle offensive weapons official Mercado, Doleen and Mondasere seven minutes until the full ninety Boston working with it in their own end. Pressure now from Mondasere, pressure from ficial presser from Marcado. Can they force them into a turnover? They can, there is Mercado, but can't control that one. And it stays with Boston. Can they break the press? They cannot, and a foul is going to be called here, I believe on Sammy Smith, who will foul Puert's on that right side that's actually has but who fouls Huerta and it will be a free kick coming for Seattle and they will take a few extra seconds off of this clock, leading to nothing with just a few minutes remaining.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's definitely a rough fowel. They're just kind of going into her back some frustration. They want to win the ball back and so yeah, now Seattle, can you know ten seconds can feel like an eternity at some point in games like this, So to get a little bit of a back is nice.
Speaker 3: Here is where it's a mock kick and then does take it. A couple seconds later, another five seconds go off the clock and she will go short. Seattle working with it in possession, getting a lot of pressure here from Boston. Can they break this pressure? Now to the left side for Curry. Curry has doleen. They have Official right on top, a little looped ball over trying to find me Official, and it's out off of Boston foot throw in coming for Seattle. You can take a couple more seconds here, tick tick tick, see how looking for their first win in a couple months. Now Mia trying to hold up play. Here's Maddy Dallen, Dahalen chance to cross it in towards the top of the box, and a great step by a Boston center back to just get a foot in the way of that one. They take it away and now they will have to work quickly. It's in the arms now of Casey Murphy after a quick deflection. We're at eighty five minutes of the ninety for.
Speaker 6: A team that's winning to zero. This is almost exactly how you want the game to go. You're consistently in the other team's half. Are you putting them, you know, pressure on theirs, You're putting them on their heels, and so it's a right now it seems like Seattle has a good control of the game.
Speaker 3: They certainly do. Is Boston has to retreat all the way to their goalkeeper Murphy and along there now two woman back line playing with almost no defense, just throwing numbers as many as they can forward. And now a big turnover, but a foul is called a huge turnover in Boston's own end. But a foul bails them out in what was certainly going to be a third Seattle goal. But now here is Boston on the left side with Gutierrez trying to get some help, not seeing too many green shirts there as Seattle retreats and keeps the pressure on, not letting too many passing windows open up. But here on the left wing, chance for Hernandez to cross it into the box reaches a Boston foot and it's a goal for Boston. But will this be offside? We're taking a moment here, Yes, it will be no goal for the legacy. It is offside there on Troore. The cross came in for Hernandez, Troore was off and Boston stays scoreless here in the eighty seventh minute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and everyone's just Dez really waiting for that flag to go up, show us the flag rep and it does there. And you know, watching the play, you kind of assumed she was. She was pretty low on the post there behind the defenders. You know, it's smart play. It's a low crossload. Defenders were low on the field. But she does just sneak right in past me and mclernan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Hasbo there, gets the ball in the box and her first touch towards goal. Triori eventually gets it, but it's waved off after she puts it into the back of the net. You wondered, and it is no goal. And now three minutes remaining of the ninety and for head coach Felipe Pateal, Boston has not lost in five games. They're two to zero to three. They lost the first five games of their expansion season, as many expansion teams do. They were shut out in four of those five games, and then they went on a great streak. They've been playing such great soccer and now they're staring a loss in the face to nothing. Now, I will say they referees are holding this one up right now. They're taking another look at this one. We see the ball in from Hernandez into Hasbo middle of the box, and they're I think they're taking a look to see if Madison Curry fouled Hasbo before that pass that ended up getting to Triore. They're gonna see if Madison Curry fouled Hasbo in the box, which would be a Boston penalty. This is interesting, what do you see here?
Speaker 4: Well, they also might be looking to see if it actually knicks a Seattle defender because if it comes off you know, a Seattle player in that instance, then she might not be offside. So you also have to watch for that because if it hits the back line, if it hits a defender last, then it's actually she could she could be in the clear triory for being for being offside.
Speaker 3: Man. If that, if that took a Seattle afflection, it was not much. Did not see much of a deflection on that. Let's see what our referee, John Motto vir Laura Rodriguez, what they decide here. And know there is no penalty given play on as we approached the ninetieth minute here in Rhode Island, the first professional women soccer match to ever be played in Rhode Island, and it looks like Seattle right now is looking at winning that first ever game. Should note also that for Laura Harvey, her first ever win was at Boston as Seattle makes a change there. Speaking of Laura Harvey, her recent change Britney Ratcliffe coming on for Maddie Doleen. So like for like attacking wingers there as Brittany Radcliffe, a ford on this team comes in for Doleen, who's been playing on the left wing today. D Leen who's scored in the fifty first minute of this game. Ball is a foot of Casey Murphy for Boston. She will launch it forward here because we are nearly at the full ninety pressure from Mercado and fisial foul called Boston will at this point try to work quick, but I believe they will work quick in a losing effort. This one looks to be going for the Seattle rain.
Speaker 4: Jackson, you can't say that too early.
Speaker 3: Jinxes aren't real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now we're gonna see them, hopefully see this game out. We'll see how much staffage time there is. But you know, Seattle does look like they're in barely good control. But Boston keeps knocking on the door as they come down the field once again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on this right side of your chance for Prince once again to cross it in working once again on Curry. Curry defending her so well, or she's done all day on or light glue and gets in the way for a turnover, Mercado trying to clear it's still to Prince, Prince crossing to the top of the box. As we now know, four minutes have been added here. Collision between mondasre ful called on Mondas here free kick coming for Boston about ten yards outside of Seattle's box is where you're here in the ninety first minute. Seattle just a few minutes away from wrapping up this win. Can they do it? Coco Mandas here going into that collision with Nicky Hernandez, fair call there or what do you think?
Speaker 5: I thought it was a little weak.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think they're both kind of going in in a collision, But it did seem like her leg and her pleat was kind of up and maybe went in a little bit late once once the player already had the ball. So yeah, maybe fair enough, But this is a tough spot to give this kind of free kick at the stage of the game.
Speaker 3: Albut canoe over it for Boston? Will she shoot on frame or looked across on frame? But no, not on frame wide left? She went four goal and missed about five yards wide left and Claudia Dickey will have a goalkick here in the ninety second minute. If I've added four minutes here in this game, you wonder, though they looked at a couple things there, if they extend that four to a slightly longer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you never really know, do yet?
Speaker 3: You never really know.
Speaker 4: Once that first number is up there, then it's a guessing game.
Speaker 3: Long ball from Dickey bounces off of Boston head cleared to mcclernan, who sends it out right towards Laura, who is screaming at her team to get back. Laura Harvey wants help defensively, she wants me official to come back and help, trying to get as many Blue Shirts back in their own end as possible to close this thing out.
Speaker 4: And I think that kind of shows exactly, you know, one, how dangerous Boston can be. I think everyone watches this game.
Speaker 5: We've talked about it.
Speaker 4: They're aggressive, they're fast, they're transition oriented, so it does feel like they could get two goals quickly at any moment, no matter what moment. And you see that in Laura Harvey while she's really really yelling at her players to get back and to get organized.
Speaker 3: It has been interesting because Boston plays this transition, high intensity, high press game. Seattle defensively has stopped them at every turn today. Big collision there, Ratcliffe working on cano. Boston comes away with it, but only to mandas Here, who interrupts that one and sends a ball all the way towards Boston's own box, and the legacy will have to work quickly. But a tremendous job by Seattle's entire defense today to work against this Boston pressure, against this Boston press, and allow them absolutely nothing so far towards the box. Getting the way that one is official. She did exactly what Laura Harvey asked, came back, defended, got in the middle of that one. Now Here up Is has turner on that left side, gets in the way of that one. Boston still with it cross towards the box. Clock strikes ninety three sixty seconds left of the added four. Gudiera's top of the box long chuck blocked, great block there by McCammon. Now it's with Seattle with Mercado, mccado working on the left side, gives it away still with Boston forty five seconds left of the added four towards the box, chance on goal and it's into the back of the net for Boston. There is the goal. With thirty seconds until the added four. Boston get their goal. It is Triore. It's I saw at Trioa putting it right by Claudia. Dicky looked like there was a hand to it, but it rolls into the back of the net. It's now two to one, Seattle over Boston. The clean sheets gone. The win is still in the cars. Claudia Dicky gets a hand to it. But now the only question is how much time will referee John Monto ad to this added four minutes? Can Seattle lock this down? Leading two to one? Long ball ahead from Claudia Dicky to this left side. It will go out, Boston throw in. We have hit the full four minutes. Now we will see how much our referee adds. It could go at any moment now two to one Seattle Boston with it clearing it forward, heading it back and forth, ends up at the foot of Mercado. Mercado to this left side for Ratcliffe. Ratcliffe can go to the corner. Now can she keep it in? She can, She's at the quarter and she hits it out. This will be a Boston throw in. Now we are plus thirty of the added four How much longer will this go? Boston clearing it forward to the foot and there is the final whistle.
Speaker 2: Laura Harvey celebrates with her staff. Players celebrate on the field. Seattle Rain break the winless streak. They get the w It wasn't cleaning there in the final minutes. It ends with a two to one final score. Nerve racking at the end. But the Rain will start off this road trip with a w.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big win for them. Great to see them get not just one goal but two goals. You know, magic of the Maddies, we said, Maddy Dolling come in and with such a great goal there.
Speaker 5: And this is a good.
Speaker 4: Boston team, maybe inconsistent, but this is a strong, fast, good Boston team. And the Rain did a great job to meet them toe to toe to put away their chances and I think start actually believing in themselves again and knowing how good they really are.
Speaker 3: You got to be proud of your wins. You know.
Speaker 6: You don't look at where the team is, the level of their consistency, how many points they have, look at the fact that this is another professional soccer team. They came out there to play, they have scored, they have it on a good streak recently. And so you came out there, you did what you had to do. You scored two goals, and you know, ultimately, hey, a tough you know goal against you in the end, but you put it together.
Speaker 3: You played hard and you won the game. So for Seattle they go to now four four and two on the season. They move back into the playoff picture with fourteen points. For Boston they stay all the way back in fourteenth place with their nine points. We will take a break and talk about what is a win for the Seattle Rain two to one final score. We'll talk about it next on the postgame show on Sports Radio nine to fifty KJRM.
Speaker 16: If you're building decks and Puget sound this season, you need materials you can trust and a supplier who delivers par Lumber carries premium timber Tech and Trek's Composite and PBC decking, railing and lighting, as well as pavers and fencing materials contractors depend on. With reliable job side delivery, we keep your projects moving so you can keep building. All the best outdoor living products are at par Visit par dot com to learn more. Par where the builders go.
Speaker 7: It's Mike Congren. My years of coaching taught me the value of smart decision. If you're looking for a great vehicle, Toyota of Kirkland makes that choice easy. Toyota of Kirkland's pre owned inventory is loaded with dependable cars, trucks and SUVs, all inspected, all priced right and all ready to drive home today. Stop in today or visit Toyotafkirkland dot com and experience why they're the number one Toyota dealership in the Northwest. Toyota Kirkland the right call every time.
Speaker 28: This is Rick Jones of Goldberg Jones. Divorce for men, child custody is the most emotional issue our clients face. If you're a divorcing father, the relationship with your children is about to change. But that change doesn't have to be for the worse. Kids already feel the stress of parents who don't get along, and they can thrive after a divorce. Kids trust their dads. Their dads trust Goldberg Jones. Call one eight hundred Divorce and get your phone questions answered at no charge servicing King Pierce and Snohomish Kevities.
Speaker 18: Hey deck fan, here with the weather we've had this spring golf season started early for us here in the Northwest. But regardless of how great the weather is, no one wants to pay full price for a round of golf.
Speaker 3: Well, I got good news for you.
Speaker 18: We still have a few around the Sound golf passes available nine rounds of golf at fantastic tracks like Whitehorse, Avalon, Cedars at dungeons Port, Ludlow and more for just two nineteen. That's less than twenty five bucks around, but this is your last chance. Pick up your round the Sound golf Fest Today at seattlegolffest dot com.
Speaker 12: We asked parents who adopted teens to share their journey.
Speaker 29: Nathan has taught me to embrace the moment age wise. I mean, I'm just I'm in the late sixties, I'm old of his grandfather. Will it be embarrassed acknowledge.
Speaker 3: Me as his dad?
Speaker 29: I think the most important thing we can do is let them know that they're safe, that they're valued and cared for and loved, and that they're important.
Speaker 14: I knew I wanted to be adopted by him because of how he taught me to be a person who I am today. And it's coming from a dad that didn't exp because of that, and I feel very proud to be a sign that.
Speaker 3: Was what he needed and he was what I needed.
Speaker 4: Every day is full of new opportunities.
Speaker 3: That's what it's been about.
Speaker 29: Realizing the simple things that it takes to make such a huge difference in these kids' lives.
Speaker 12: Learn about adopting a teen from foster care at adopt us Kids dot org. Brought to you by adopt Us Kids, the US Department of Health and Human Services, and the ad Council.
Speaker 1: The following is an exclusive presentation of Seattle Rainsucker on Sports Radio nine point fifty kJ U.
Speaker 3: Curry Long both towards back post Hast dline, Maddie in the back of the net. Maddie Dollen second gold for the Rain. It's two nothing Seattle. A corner kickpop back out.
Speaker 2: The cross came in from the left side from Madison Curry, Madison to Maddie Dolly makes it to nothing.
Speaker 3: It's a win for the Seattle Rain. Late goal for Boston not enough. It's a two to one victory for Seattle. They moved a four to four and two. They're in the playoff window now and they open up this long East Coast road trip from here to Washington, DC. With the w welcome into the postgame show, Jackson felt Stephanie Verdoi had kwameapaya as we talk about a Rain win, the first Rain win for Rain on the radio here in twenty twenty six. It's great to have the w for the first time since this team beat Louisville a couple months ago in Spokane. What do you know, it just takes. It takes this team playing in different places, whether it's Spokane, whether it's in Rhode Island, like tonight, it's a win for the Rain.
Speaker 4: Stephanie, Yeah, what do you know, It just takes some goals to actually win. So they did that tonight and it was great to see it. You really could see the change and the energy, the smiles, just the momentum out there. We hadn't seen it in recent games, even when they'd played well. They played well against Spirit recently, they had their moments against Gotham. But but tonight you really saw them believe in themselves, and we said that.
Speaker 5: Over and over again.
Speaker 4: They took more chances, they were more creative, they you know, they did a lot together as a team, and so I think they walk away with a lot of things to be proud of.
Speaker 6: Yeah, a lot of pride in it. Honestly, you saw Stephie and I were just cheering in a few times. You saw us excited, jumping up and down it. In case you heard any thumps on the radio, we were just so excited about good soccer. You know, I think that's one thing that the Rain does really well. They play really good soccer in moments of the game. You see good connections, you see good through balls, you see them really making sure that they're playing with spirit, with heart. It's just a good game to play. And ultimately, when you play a good game and you get rewarded, it feels really good. You know, we had a really really good game similar to this in terms of ability play against the Spirit, but unfortunately, you know, a late winner or a late loser against us. So ultimately this was the game where we played well and we got the reward, and you gotta be happy about that.
Speaker 3: For Maddie doll Leen, she had four goals for US to slash year in twenty six games. It's taken eight games this year, but she gets her first goal contribution with her first goal of the year here in the fifty first minute. Sofia Houerta, your captain, steps up to the spot, hits a penalty kick in the eleventh minute, gets her first goal of the year, her forty fifth career goal. So Huerta got them off to snine with that early penalty kick. It's now time we'll wrap up the postgame show with our Paula's choice Skincares Player of the Match. This is an interesting discussion and I have a player in mind right now. There's a lot of I think deserving candidates, Stephanie Kwalmy. I'd like both you guys to weigh in on who your player of the matches.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm gonna do the obvious one, Mattie Dollen. I mean, what do we say you have to score goals to win? And I just I think she was the dynamic player that they needed.
Speaker 12: Her to be.
Speaker 4: I think she has actually been that player in recent games, and so it's been building for her and I'm just so happy that she finally got the reward of that play because she's she's a really really aggressive, good fast striker and she did a great job.
Speaker 5: So it's finished that off.
Speaker 3: I have a different player, So kwame, are you also going with Maddy Dolan or you going somebody else?
Speaker 6: I'm gonna go Maddie Dolleen. I mean, all the way from the first minute, won us our first corner right and then ended up ultimately had a having technically another goal contribution because won us the PK and then ultimately scored to also get that you know, game winner. So I just she was all over the field. She just yeah, she was taking defenders on, putting the ball in the box. I gotta go dling.
Speaker 3: So Paul's choice. Skincare is proud to present tonight's player of the match, that is Maddy Dolleen. I would just like to say Sophia Wuerta not only getting us off the schnight, scoring our first goal in five plus games, also representative of a back line that dealt so well with Boston's pressure tonight. Boston won the press, press, press, pressure, pressure, pressure, and until the very very end of that game, they had nothing in the back of the net. For our final comment, tonight, just a great job overall for ninety two minutes for Seattle's defense.
Speaker 4: It absolutely was. Seattle's defense is maybe actually the player of the match the whole back line, but Huerta is a major part of that. And you know, she's a captain, she's leading this team and I'm really excited to see what they do next.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, honorable mention for me for you know, player of the game would have been Matti Mercado. You know, I think playing as a nine, coming back and defending in our box and then getting moved to the ten and playing box the boxes a midfielder. So it's just effort all the way through. And then also almost god An assists in an incredible through ball to Maddie Dollen, and so playing defensively, playing hard, winning the ball and also creating some opportunities. You know, hopefully as the game goes on, her effort is going to be rewarded by some opportunities and some goals.
Speaker 3: Seattle with a win in Boston a final score of two to one with goals from do Leen and Huerta, that will do it for us tonight. I want to thank every with the broadcast and their shirts on our board, our broadcast producer, Keiley Dunning. Great job here from my right and to my left from Kwame Apia and Stephanie Verdoya. My name is Jackson Feltz. We will talk to you next week for this next rain match. It's on Saturday May thirtieth, where they will play in Washington against the Washington Spirit that will have a three point fifteen pre match kickoff of three point thirty right here on Sports Radio nine fifty KJRM. Also make sure to check out Rain Weekly on the Seattle Soccer Show's podcast page. It'll be up later this week to talk more Rain soccer. Everybody, have a good rest of your evening and CBS Sports Radio is coming up next