Speaker 1: As from a two and zero start to zero and two with Jake Browning on her center after Joe's toe became an issue and the Lions coming to town looking to maul the Whoday tinding up to give us some time for ESPN Nation. We've had him on the show a bunch in the past. He covers those who day Bengals, Ben Baby, how are you? How is everything? And is this ten and a half point line that I see favoring the Lions an understatement of this situation?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, always good to be on with you, Stirling, And that is a massive line for people who don't know, a double digit line in the NFL is very uncommon.
Speaker 3: I think you have to go all the way back.
Speaker 2: For the Bengals to be, you know, especially when you look at where the Bengals are right now. And the last time that was the Bengals with this big of a home underdog was Week eighteen of the twenty twenty season. Going into that game, the Bengals were without nough Burrow, the coaching staff was about to get a big shake up at the end of Zach Taylor's second year, and they definitely played like it in that game. The Ravens and at winning thirty eight to three. Before where that you go back to the infamous Monday Night football game in twenty twenty where Ryan Finley somehow beat the Pittsburgh Steelers and shift at the momentum for the franchise for the next season. You know that that's the last time the Bengals have been this big of an underdog. So you know, I think it goes to show where they're at and they're going to need a special performance to it to somehow find a way to beat the Detroit Lions.
Speaker 4: This team.
Speaker 1: By the way, Ben Baby from ESPN was sterling on the Big One talking Bengals and Lions Sunday afternoon at pay Corps and on seven hundred WLW. You know, it's not just the offense that has struggled. This defense, which we thought was so much better and look pretty solid the first two weeks, seemed to the last couple of weeks finds itself rated about the worst in the NFL. I mean, it seems like that the boat is leaking from a whole lot of holes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think the big thing with the defense, and you talk folks inside the building, I think there's an understanding that the offense has really put the defense in a bad position.
Speaker 5: Now, I think.
Speaker 2: Everyone will also say the defense needs to create more turnovers. We heard Al Golden talk about that this week. In his first year's defensive coordinator, it's been hard to gauge kind of where things are at because that offense has struggled so much. The defense been on the field for so many snaps. They did a good job relatively in the second half against Denver early and getting stops with the offense just could not capitalize. That Minnesota game was really spiraled from them. But you know, you go back and look, I think they were fortunate in those first two games to come away with wins because you know, you had some drops, you had some ill timed, you know, mistakes from the other team. You see the missfield goals against Cleveland, and maybe if those things don't happen, you're staring at zero to four instead of.
Speaker 3: Two and two right now.
Speaker 2: And so you know, maybe that is more of an indicative of where this team's at. But you know, I think that we'll get a better glimpse as to what this defense will look like once the offense gets rolling, if and whenever that actually does happen.
Speaker 1: What do you think the biggest problem is? I understand obviously that this offense has been built around Joe Burrow. We saw Jake Browning step up in the past. That's why he got the deal that he did to stay, because he proved himself to be able to get it done in in a tenuous situation, which is probably the best way to describe what he's walked into here again in this but he's got more interceptions than touchdowns and adjusting this to what Jake does. How challenging is that? Is that the biggest problem? Or are there just that many holes in what we thought was going to be this offense of power?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think it's it's it's hard to say what exactly is going wrong here, right, I think it's unfair to say it's all on Jake Browning. You know that they came in in twenty twenty three when he when he came in place of Joe Burrow, they looked serviceable. They were still able to find wins. And you know, I think this year when you look at the splits, you know, the inability to convert on third downs has been a problem, and ability for Jake to do well when pressured. That's been that's been a big concern this season. I think that's where that area where he has to get better.
Speaker 3: But also, you know, you.
Speaker 2: Have to find ways to find better wins, easier you know, easier completions. Maybe for Browning, see if you can get him some good one on one situations with Jamar Chase. You know, now that the Bengals face two challenging fronts in what Denver in Minnesota have, can they find a more advantageous position against the Lions.
Speaker 3: You know, we'll see. I think there's some confidence.
Speaker 2: That they will be better this week, but you know, I think they do need a good showing, you know, regardless of whether they win or lose, to give them a little bit of confidence moving forward, because right now, I mean this is so one if you statistically, one of the worst stretches in franchise history, what happened these last couple of weeks getting out you know, our lopside that these results have been and so if you're able to get some momentum, I think that's going to be huge. And you know, it's as simple as maybe running the ball and in finding easy completions.
Speaker 1: Talking to Ben Baby for me ESPN Nation about Bengals Lions Sunday Lions three and one. The Who Day at five hundred and two and two started two and zero zero and two with Jake Browning. It's not all on him. I absolutely one hundred percent agree with you. Is you look at what they're facing with the Lions, do you see weaknesses or they are there opportunities for this Bengals team to find a way not just to be competitive, but where they have an opportunity really to send the Lions back home to Detroit up seventy five as losers.
Speaker 3: I think that if.
Speaker 2: You're able to go out and jump on them early, if you're able to you know, if the Bengals are able to win the toss, it might be as easy as that and almost like you're in cricket, you know, when in the toss gives you a great chance of winning.
Speaker 3: Here it's a little bit different.
Speaker 2: But the Bengals can win the toss, go out and score a touchdown early, you know, get the lines and make some mistakes or force some mistakes and be able to play with the lead. I think that's your best chance against them, you know, Jamar Chase and t Higgins, if they can find a way, find a way to be involved against a line secondary that's been a little susceptible at times. You know, I think if they can find a way to maybe match up against carry On Arnold a little bit, that would be a prime matchup for them. When you look at the numbers, you know, so I think it's gonna be that's your best bet, you know. Otherwise, you know you're looking at a Lion's offense that's really doesn't have any weaknesses. Jared Goff playing really well. I'm on Ross Saint Brown, two time All Pro. You look at the running backs they call him Sonic and Knuckles and David Montgomery.
Speaker 3: A local guy, and Jamior Gibbs.
Speaker 2: You know that there's really not a lot of weaknesses on that line's front, and really in the way that they use Pine Soul, you know, is really unique they view him. I remember talking to Mario Cristobal, who coached him in college, and said, you know, Pena is a playmaker in our mind. You know, we go out and we will scheme out plays knowing that he's going to be you know, he's going to be blocking either in the run of the pass game and so you know, he I think that's going to be an interesting magic to watch as well. So you know that that Bengals defense, they know what they're going to have their hands full on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Ben, when you you mentioned sul how irregular in outstanding is penna when you describe what you just did about what he's capable of doing, because you don't hear that a lot about tackles like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think that makes him unique is that he's got great feet and is really able to do so much in both the run in the past game you're able to pull him and just because he moves so well.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: I think it's why that conversation back in twenty twenty one about you know, should you draft Jamar Chase, should you take in a sool?
Speaker 3: You know, what is the best option to go there?
Speaker 2: I think for this offense, obviously Jamaar and kind of the reps that he had with Joe Burrow got going back for the days at LSU, that was a no brainer. You see the growth that Jamar Chase has had this year, and that's been big. But also I mean you go look at it. You know, the Bengals that paid, you know, forty million dollars, And this is something that is interesting to think about. Well, the Bengals have paid forty one million dollars for a receiver. They paid a lot of money for Tea Higgins at well three and one fifteen four and one fifteen uh for him, and they just haven't been able to get them involved. And when you spend that kind of money, you ideally want those receivers to be to be a major impact. And I don't think it's a fault of Jamar and te you know, when you is it too dependent?
Speaker 3: Sometimes?
Speaker 2: I think you know, it's going to be a question on this wide receiver market moving forward. You know, do teams want to continue to give that kind of money to receivers knowing how dependent they are on targets and other parts of the offense. But you know that that's kind of that's a that's a side discussion. But yeah, so well, definitely very good. It does a lot of great things for that line's offensive line.
Speaker 1: ESPN Nations that Ben Baby was stirling on seven hundred WLW talking Bengals and Lions. What have I not asked? I always liked to ask because You're in and around this organization on the ground all the time, and I know enough to know I don't know enough, but there are elements of this that are sort of under the radar that really make a huge difference other than the obvious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think the big question is going to be where does this team go long term? You know, can they find a way to kind of rally a little bit? I think these next couple of weeks are going to be tough. You've got Detroit coming home at home and then green Bay a really good team. We're going to be a contender to represent the NFC of the Super Bowl this year.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: So if you go and lose those games and you go you two and four after going to and Oher, you know, where does this thing go? I think if you're the Bengals, you want to have some kind of resolve because skeets soften up in the middle of the year and you ideally will have a chance to reel off some wins get back to five hundred if they lose these next couple of games, Can Jack Taylor keep this team together? Can they continue to believe that they can be competitive and give hope that maybe if Joe Burrow gets healthy at the end of the year, they get sneak in the playoffs in salvage some of this season. I think that's all stuff that you want to watch. And then, you know, I think that's going to be fascinating because when you lose the way you have the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: You wonder what kind of toll that takes on a locker room.
Speaker 2: So far, haven't seen any any big issues, but I think, you know, those things always can develop the more season starts to unravel.
Speaker 1: Now in baseball they call it a grind. The NFL is, you know, even worse when it comes to that going through it. Not as long, but certainly brutal physically. And you just talked about the toll of facing these tougher teams early, just struggling to get through that. And that's what Jake Browning in that offense a couple of years ago, was somehow able to do, is find their way to get to the open space where they could get some wins behind them, and then if Joe is able to come back with the toe being in a better place to maybe make a run down the way.
Speaker 4: But I get that's a lot of ifs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, and so you know, first things first, you know, seeing if they can just even look remotely competitive. The betters do not think that this is going to be a close game. At ten and a half, might as well be one hundred in the NFL. And so, you know, we'll see what kind of resolved the Bengals continue to have as the season, you know, rolls on.
Speaker 1: I'm still trying to figure out how they generally are so good at calling these lines overall, because it can be frustrating. Is it really possibly that big of a margin, you know, on the outset, but they weekend week out, it seems like they're pretty close to being on it. How is that possible?
Speaker 2: Well, when you've got a lot of money at stake, I think you generally try to be good at this.
Speaker 3: And I think over the years they've.
Speaker 2: Got it down sien a point off here, a point off there, even a half a point. You've got a lot of money writing on it, So I think, you know, ultimately, I think a general rule of thumb is that when people are paid to do something for a living, they generally tend to be pretty good at it.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, and you are good at what you do, Ben Baby ESPN Nation seem all over ESPN here in ESPN fifteen thirty and kind enough to give us some time here on a Friday night, the weekend with Sterling.
Speaker 4: Thank you, my man.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoyed the rest of it, and hopefully Sunday, maybe the Bengals will surprise everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sounds good. Thanks Sterling, take.
Speaker 1: Care of yourself more Sterling coming back. Seven hundred WLW. Thanks seven hundred WLW Sterling back seat red Someone twenty twenty five season in the books. We'll spend some Friday nights together, at least, I think so, Drew, keep me in line, mister Western Heidi. We got Lee Malwood news coming up in a while, Jack Crumley before that, about four and a half minutes, and former head of political science, doctor Donna Schleck at Wright State going to join us now, Professor Mayer to talk about what rumblings now you've heard in the news. You will get another update in about four minutes. Is Israel and Hamas apparently very close, maybe possibly to a peace deal maybe, so we'll pick her brain about that and the government shutdown of course that we're all navigating it, and I realize it's Friday, and part of me wants to just goof off, have fun and put that serious stuff on the back burner. But we'll get some details on it because it doesn't matter. Also movie stuff, Kevin Carr Fat Guys at the movies, he also confining silver Gecko on Substack, will join us talk about the new deal e Leonardo DiCaprio movie, some other stuff going on, and a lot of other ground to cover as well. We're short on time here before the news, but I want to mention this because it's I had the I don't know if i'd say it's the weirdest conversation. I have a lot of weird conversations, I believe it or not. But shopping yesterday, I grab some Halloween candy. Usually I have leftovers, which I consume throughout the year because we don't get a lot of kids, which is fine, So I buy candy that I like that I want, so I'm not stuck with crap that I don't like and I don't want, which maybe is a bad choice because I'm the one eating most of it. However, I'm talking to a buddy of mine and he tells me that he's put the kaibash on the trick or treating at their house. Not for his kids, which are a little bit older now like in high school, there's are probably out the stealing bags.
Speaker 4: No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: His kids are upstanding of fine citizens, probably, But he tells me that it's too expensive, that he's seen the price of candy go up and he's done with it because of the chocolate prices and stuff along those lines. So a little later we'll get into that too.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: We hear mixed signals about the economy, how it's doing and not.
Speaker 4: What do they say?
Speaker 1: It's a recession if it's your neighbor that's in trouble having problems, it's depression. If it's you that are having personal problems when it comes to money, stuff and jobs and whatnot. But when people are cutting back on the idea a candy for the kids at Halloween, I start to scratch my head and go, is you know, my neighbor just getting old and crodgety or whatever, or they legitimately, you know, maybe touched upon and scratched upon a real itch that's out there, which is people sort of not wanting to cough up the cash because maybe these are harder times and some would think or hope or want in the midst of everything going on, including the government shutdown that we're in the midst of right now.
Speaker 4: So we'll touch on that.
Speaker 1: I'm just wondering because I mean, I got my receis, I got some TUTSI rolls, and I got some blowpops. Those are all things that I like that I understand that I can appreciate. I don't do the smarties, I don't do all the weird wax candies. I spend good money on the candy because I know what I like, and I'm tired over the years of accumulating candy when the kids haven't shown up, even going back to COVID times when I get the got the big PVC pipe tube that I was able to toss some candy through that so I would not put the kids in danger of them and me because they're they're germ monsters generally, and very few kids came then. And then I just had extra PVC pipe, which I mean, you can never have too much of. That just didn't think in case things go weird or whatever else. So we'll touch on that a bit later. I just don't know how bad does it have to be for someone to be in a situation when you're like, I'm not buying candy.
Speaker 4: For the kids.
Speaker 1: My guess is they'll be talking more hooligans and vandalism and windows, soapd and toilet papering of trees and houses as a result of that. If kids still do that type of thing today's world, kids might end up getting shot they start tpeeing and soaping windows. But when I was coming up, it was a very common circumstance, not even just Halloween time, just because kids were bored and you know, out after high school football, which we'll give you some scores by the way, because it is football Friday night, straight away, the latest on the shutdown, what could be a broker peace deal or at least the very beginning of talk of maybe some success in that route with Jack Crumbley in the news and the other side, former head of political science at Wright State, doctor donnah Schlaheck joins me as well, it's a Friday night, Stirling, glad you're along. It's a beautiful night, warmer than normal, not feeling like football weather, not feeling like fall, but it is just the same. On the home of your reds, and of course the whoday they play here seven hundred WLW shaken.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 1: After this period of time there is talk in Israeli and Hamas peace steel, or at least rumblings of Hamas accepting what terms were given them.
Speaker 4: Is a part of that.
Speaker 1: Settlement with Israel with the United States helped us some insight with that, as well as a government shutdown. If you hadn't noticed the government shut down, A lot of people are a region right Air Force base up in Dayton Fairborne, right near Wright State, by the way, the largest employer in the region, one of the biggest in Ohio for that matter, certainly a lot of people dealing with that and the ramifications in the days ahead. Former had a political science at Wright State, now professor Meredith. She is a Cincinnati kid, always lending great perspective and insight to what's going on in the world and what matters to us here in the Tri State. Is doctor Dona Schlank. Welcome back to the Big one. Seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: How's it going, hi, Sterling. It has been quite a day, hasn't it.
Speaker 1: It certainly has. Let's start with Israel Hamas in that circumstance, because initially I get all these push messages to my random device is saying, hey, there's a deal that's been broken, but it's not actually fully done. And we've talked for however long this has been since October seventh, twenty three, in the horrible events that took place there with the kidnapping and the murders of all those people in the version into Israel, and what's gone on subsequent to that, but for so many years before that, do you think that this is a legitimate, sustainable circumstance that we're talking about with peace as these deals in details of this are coming out.
Speaker 7: Guardedly, guardedly hopeful, but it is a very important step. It also coincides with the expected soon to be Peace Prize nominations, but we'll we'll see what happens.
Speaker 8: In Sweden.
Speaker 7: The signal from Hamas was pretty plain on yes, all forty eight of the last of the hostages, about twenty of whom are still living with that big butt, right, that's the condition and literally specified the need to meet certain conditions on the ground unspecified, but one might think it may take them some time, certainly before the Sunday deadline that President Trump had previously said, but it may take some time for them to bring those hostages and the remains of the hostages who've died in captivity. Two years of this sterling two years. Israeli public opinion is all over the place too. But it would appear that they have said yes to the hostages, which is their massive point of leverage, right yes to the hostages release, which will bring many Palestinians released in many detainees, probably over one thousand to be released as well. Those take a little bit of time to coordinate. But what I find really interesting in this package that President Trump has put forward, and Hamas says they're accepting the first stage of it. But you know who, Tony Blair is the Prime minister, former Prime Minister's one who helped negotiate the end of terrorism and violence in Northern Ireland and put together an amnesty package. You lay down your arms, you sign an oath to renounce violence. You can stay or you can peaceably leave. So they've actually announced that component of this agreement as well. This is more, much more than we have seen in the past, and President Trump has weighed in with a very very unequivocal signal to Israel the bombing in Gaza has to stop immediately, like now. So that's a very very strong signal from President Trump. The Arab States are lining up to make arrangements for probably a primarily Muslim or Arab force that will enter the area to begin the disarmament process as well. Peace are beginning to move at this point in time, and it may look really slow, but it strikes me that they're moving very quickly. That two year anniversary I think was something that President Trump did not want to see happen without some movement. So I am very impressed with what Tony Blair has brought to the table. You know, so many more complicated plans and negotiations to follow, but this scenario changes dramatically. If those hostages are released, then I'm pretty confident that the Israeli forces will begin to pull back. It won't happen, you know, fast enough to meet hum often the Palestinian people. I do believe that the Palestinian population in Gaza overwhelmingly wants to see this cease fire and an end to the conflict. We have no way of knowing right what public opinion there is, but sterling more happening in a positive direction, with all the caveats that we have to put on this negotiation. It was a yes, It was a yes.
Speaker 8: But this is a.
Speaker 7: Really complicated not too untie, and forty eight families in Israel now probably have more hope than they have had in the past two years. In total, American leadership here to bring this to the point where it can happen if the principles are willing, you know, to take some risks on both sides. This despite the difficulties of the shutdown and the government here, this is one of the you know, the most hopeful developments. It started on Monday there stood President Trump alongside Benjamin not in Yejo saying he accepts these conditions and having gone, you know, much further in the end the war process than many of many of us thought possible. So this is a Trump plan. It's incredibly complicated. It has not been fleshed out nearly in the detail that it will require. I'm impressed that they brought somebody on board with hands on experience. How do you stop the shooting, you know, disarm the combatants, and then lay the groundwork for a future state where people live in peace. Tony Blair actually has that experience. I know he's been criticized in the media lately because of his roles supporting the US in the Iraq War, But I think the valuable lesson is what they did in Northern Ireland. That was nineteen ninety eight when those piece accords were announced. I had the good luck of being in New York at the time and literally sitting in the company of the Consul General for Northern Ireland and the President of Shin Fame who'd been working on it for years.
Speaker 1: Right now, the troubles on for an extremely long period of time. I know there's been some rumblings there of some of that coming back, but nothing like the horrible circumstance that was in Northern Ireland.
Speaker 4: UH for so long.
Speaker 7: Nothing there there. Northern Irish Parliament is open, they've been holding elections. The shootings, the bombings in the ira and the Protestant paramilitaries put their arms beyond access. Amnesties were issued and do you know what party will head the Catholic community. It will be Shin Fame, which used to be called the political arm of the ira UH. And just it tells us that Humus is not going away forever. They haven't promised that, but sterling more light, more hope than we have seen in the in this situation. Uh, the President has put a pretty impressive package together, lined up every single important Arab and Muslim state to be part of trying to bring it to reality.
Speaker 4: That's a lot.
Speaker 7: Now, it's good, It's a whole lot. And now it's going to require a really deep breath and some real courage on the part of both the Israelis and the Palestinians to see if they can change their destiny. It looks like they may have that opportunity.
Speaker 1: Talking to the former head of political science at Wright State University, doctor Donna Schlek, now Professor Amerita from Cincinnati, here, this Israeli Hamas issue and in that Middle Eastern turmoil circumstance, I mean it has gone on for much longer, preceding the hostage taking and the killings and the murders and the incursion into Israel that happened on the seventh of October. So the question is, I guess you know, because initial it was Amas has to go. And you mentioned something very interesting in that no one really knows the people on the ground and how they feel about it. But they've been effectively, in so many cases displaced, killed, and you name it, for all this period of time, effectively bombed back into the Stone Ages. I can't imagine anyone living through that, amongst the rubble of all of that, not wanting to find any way possible to get to some place a piece in whatever normalcy can be, because it's going to take decades for that to be built back up, to be a liveable place of some kind.
Speaker 7: In any way, Yeah, it is going to be one big infrastructure project. There are going to be jobs, jobs, jobs for Palestinians to rebuild their country. The Arab States want peace in the region. President Trump's Abraham Accords may be extended much more broadly. The remedy in Northern Ireland was get them to stop shooting, begin the disarmament, and then begin an economic development program, because if you can offer young people some hope, perhaps a job, a family, et cetera, they will not be inclined to take the twenty dollars a month stipe then that the IRA may have been offering, or whatever Humus is paying their supporters. Now I wonder we've got five or ten thousand humaff fighters. This disarmament process will be fascinating to watch. It's going to be labor intensive. President Trump has promised American support in the role, but hands on on the ground. This needs to be perhaps the biggest collaborative, constructive project that the leading Arab states in the region have ever engaged in. It is, you know, talk about turning a major corner, addressing a continuing grievance and source of violence in their neighborhood. And for israelis the end of the war, the return of the hostages, but perhaps a different way of living in the future as well. A lot of risks, a lot of distrust, massive amounts of distrust on both sides. And yet the desire and the plan that the President and his team will be fleshing out and Arab states, the wealthy oil states are going to be asked to underwrite a lot of this.
Speaker 1: What does that mean to cost of fuel by the way, because I mean, you know, will they increase their cost or price to us? And I mean that's a lot of economy conversation there. But even though we produce and have more than basically anyone on the planet at this point, we still get petroleum products from that part of the world as well. If they're trying to use that money or use those bits of fuel and so forth in that process to generate the wealth necessary to build back from what is effectively the stone age in this process, who's going to pay for that in the end? I mean, it's whoever purchases the fuel source.
Speaker 7: Yes, I think Americans are always interested in that question about the price of petroleum. But the last time the oil producing states in the region met, they decided to slightly, you know, hold constant or slightly increase their production, trying to put more pressure on the Russians as well, who are very cash desperate in selling their petroleum. So the wealthy, wealthy Arab states have those massive funds that they can fall back on if the price of oil has to come down. Their economies are not like the Russians are today dependent upon you know, the income on it almost on a daily basis, from the price of oil. To righte the world's leading producer is the United States, which is on a path under President Trump's leadership to continue to increase production. So when the market is soft and full of oil, the price tends to come down. And when the area is not ripe for another major violent upheaval. Again, the price can remain firm if going to the you know, the lower side as well. That is one price that they are able to pay. But the projects to rebuild Gaza in ten years, we may not be able to recognize the region it. I mean, it has the human capital, it has the potential. The money is going to come in. If the violence stops, so many things become possible. And then this is the Trump plan, that is, that's what it's going to be known as. If it fails, if it succeeds, and there's so many ways it can go off the rail. But we haven't seen process progress like this for two years now. Although we've been hopeful this is it's a substance's turn, and Hamas has actually said, yes, the hostages will be coming out, maybe within a week. I think it will be fairly soon. Once this thing begins, I know the Americans will want to keep the process going, accelerate it, get more planning in place for what comes after the IDF withdrawal, for example. So there's going to be a lot of development opportunities, lots of contracts, lots of ways to attract young Palestinians into rebuilding their country rather than having to go out and die for it.
Speaker 1: Doctor Donish likes the former head of political science at Wright State and now Professor Mariager. Talking about this Israeli hamas Trump broker peace deal is planned, it seems to be moving a little bit closer to fruition. You mentioned something interesting about the rebuilding. You mentioned about the cost sharing with that of course for those other countries in the region to go along with it, which reminds me then after say World War Two, the Marshall Plan and everything that went into helping to build back Germany and so forth in a little different circumstance. As devastated as it was societally speaking, I mean, there is nothing much left at all in Gaza.
Speaker 4: I mean it is.
Speaker 1: It looks like a moonscape, almost in an uninhabitable circumstance. So every element of society, it appears, is going to have to somehow be brought back. And something leading from the initial conversation is this conflict escalated as it is on October seventh, October eighth of twenty twenty three, is that with people suffering through what it has become, how do you keep those that have survived it, who have had to endure it multiple generations, to not have that bitterness, that resentment, that a bloodlust and hunger for retaliation for what has come to be their reality. There be it towards Omas, towards Israel, towards the West, or otherwise.
Speaker 7: And that is why the prospective hope of rebuilding, rebuilding something better for the children that have had to live through the last two years, the families, the people who have fled, et cetera. When that element of hope for something better, and that's what has been put on the table. Willhammad survived this, Will they reappear later under a new name and as a political party, could very well happen, but something's been put on the table. All the Arab states who had previously supported, you know, the arms struggle for a free and an independent Palestine, these are the people who will be writing the checks and you know, letting the contracts for all of the construction that will have to happen. It will be a massive project. There will be full employment and that's what will squeeze Humas and their appeal out. So how it worked in Northern Ireland and we've had going on thirty years now of peace. Is it perfect?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: Do people live together in complete comfort? No? No, there are still a lot of remaining tensions. The Irish and the Palestinians, you know, they have those long histories and they're always willing to recount them for you. But in Northern Ireland they've turned that corner. They're looking forward. You know, how do you fit yourself between the EU and Brexit and you know all of the complicated questions, but they're economic questions now. They're not about going back to the armed struggle.
Speaker 1: Well, safety and hope and opportunity and food on a table, and safety and security for children and an opportunity for some hope for tomorrow is what it's all about. We're against the wild time. Perhaps in a week we can talk about an open government rather than a shutdown one.
Speaker 4: But we will let you go.
Speaker 1: Great perspective, insight and an update on what has gone on in the Middle East down to Washington and what does come with the help of President Trump the United States. Tony Blair, former Prime Minister of course for the UK and Britain and those parties in that part of the world, between Israel as well as cutter and across the board, Doctor Dona Shleck, former head of political science Right State University, now Professor Meredith.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend.
Speaker 7: You two sterling Thanks.
Speaker 1: Take care of yourself straight away your ten o'clock report. Kevin Carr on the other side, we'll talk weekend movies. Good times here Holm of the Hooday seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati ULW, Kevin Carr. Fat guys at the movies, Silver get go on the sub stacks everywhere, even in your mailbox virtually or otherwise. Welcome back to the big one. Seven hundred WLW Kevin. How are you how everything Everything's.
Speaker 5: Going pretty well. How are you doing today?
Speaker 4: I have no complaints.
Speaker 1: It was like eighty degrees when I was coming into this place tonight on a Friday, on the edge of October. I know I'll be complaining about darkness and cold and freezing temperatures in snow soon enough. So I'm soaking all this up as best I can. And this almost seems like it's almost comfortable drive in weather too, when we're talking about movies and so forth.
Speaker 4: Even though we are here on a Friday. Football kind of night.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, and here's why. You know. It's eighty three you said eighty three degrees, but it's low humidity. That's the key. And you can sit out and you can have a nice breeze come by, and it feels great. What's weird is then when the temperature starts dropping at night, it gets more and more humid because the air can hold less moisture, and then it gets to a point where you feel like it's condensing on you. So that can get a little uncomfortable. But no, it was beautiful. I was out in the park today and I mean just scored a little the mosquitoes. But you know, hey, you take what to take, what you get.
Speaker 1: A little malaria, it's no big deal. Don't worry about it. Just go to the bathroom a lot.
Speaker 4: That's okay.
Speaker 5: Pleasant things in life. You just got to deal with some bloodsucker sometimes.
Speaker 4: And that's the truth on more ways than one.
Speaker 1: All Right, So I know that a couple of weeks ago we talked about one battle after another, which is a new DiCaprio, and everybody under the sun's in that. But that's that's not actually out yet, right, that's still future speak.
Speaker 5: Correct, No, no, no, that came out last week. That wasn't last Talk last week, but yeah, it came out last week and it well, here's the thing. Did it do okay or did it not? Because they spent like one hundred and thirty million dollars on this film, which I don't know where that money went because it was not on the screen. I mean they well probably went to all the seventy millimeters work that they did with it, because it is being pushed as a big seventy milimeter release. But it's but it's still a good movie. It made like twenty some million last weekend, which is pretty low for the size of the budget. But it's going to carry through award season. It's got all these reviews, and I thought it was an interesting movie, but it's not a typical movie.
Speaker 1: But you'll sound like really excited, like like not long ago, like it was the Superman movie. You you were literally bursting through my headphones in the speakers as we drove around about your excitement about it this one. You're saying, Oh, it's big, and you don't know where they spent all the money. Uh whatever? Is this not as good as you would hope or is it hype too much.
Speaker 5: Now here's the thing that that's the thing. It's it's a hype thing because whenever Paul Thomas Anderson or pt Anderson comes out with the movie, there is this collective, almost sensual groan from the critical side of the world, and they're just like, it's the greatest movie ever, and I need to see it, get it in my eyeball. And that's like kind of the and you get that with a Christopher Roland movie. Uh, you get that with uh, you know, certain movies like this from certain directors. And I'm like, I liked it. It's a good movie. I gave it four out of five stars. But I am kind of like guy pumped the brakes a little bit. It's not the greatest movie of the year, let alone of all time. But it's entertaining and it's interesting. But it's it's it's not me when I say it's it's a typical. It's not a normal movie. That's not a knock on it. It's more a revel you know, a realization that it's doesn't follow your normal storyline. You know, if you were to say, hey, it's this movie about these people who are sort of like in this uh sort of pseudo terrorist organization, this sort of this Liberation Front group.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And it's him, Uh, DiCaprio much later in life, just kind of trying to lead the normal life and the cage's pulled back into this by somebody who's hunting him. You think it's gonna be like a Steven Sagall action movie, and it ain't that. I'll tell you it's it's it's very different, and it's structured very differently.
Speaker 1: Talking to Kevin Carr Silver Gecko on sub Stack about this new DiCaprio movie.
Speaker 4: Sean Penn's in this.
Speaker 1: Obviously DiCaprio has got in the face of this and all the trailers I've seen Beniitio del Toro, Regina Hall, who I love, uh, and uh, Elena Haim, who now explained to me May West in this film.
Speaker 5: Uh, hold on, what do you? I'm sorry?
Speaker 4: The character she that's all right, she just oh the name of.
Speaker 5: The okay, I'm sorry, yeah, yeah, the actor? Uh see they they and which one was which one? I'm that's all right.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen it yet. I just know that she plays May West, and I didn't know if she was. It was like an old time kind of flashback to May West? Or is this just somebody else who's name May West.
Speaker 5: It's it's just they take code names. Okay, you know what I mean. Ause what it is is it's sort of like this this girl group of sort of you know, sort of what they would consider themselves revolutionary, and they're they're there to, you know, cause political unrest. And it was like twenty years ago that they did this, and everybody had code names, and I'm blanking on a lot of their codeames, but there's stuff like that like May West, right, and so so yeah, that's that's that doesn't actually call back to Maywest.
Speaker 4: Okay, good, that's all I was trying to figure out. You've seen it.
Speaker 1: I had, and I didn't mean to throw you this the first time I think I've ever thrown anything at you were like, I have no idea what you're saying, and then I'm like.
Speaker 4: I don't know what i'm saying either. This is not good.
Speaker 5: So yeah, no, no, no, that was just that's just a code name for one of the characters.
Speaker 1: Right, So for those who don't know, can you break down without ruining it what this is actually about? Because I've had two people just message me real quickly going, so, what the hell is this movie really about?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that that's the thing. So the DiCaprio with this guy used to be involved in this group that that caused all these sort of unrest in these and it's been like twenty years of fifteen years and he has gotten out of it, and he's raising his daughter because the woman he had the baby with she left and kind of because she was sort of a target in this organization. And he's just trying to raise the daughter and this guy who was involved in them from the military who's coming after them to try and track them down. He targets them and he kind of gets swept up into it and he's trying to go on the run save his daughter from sort of this unhinged military guy. It played by Sean Pett and Sean Penn's fantastic in it actually because he plays a completely bonker's character but makes it feel very realistic.
Speaker 1: Okay, is there anything to say else about that?
Speaker 4: Because I'm curious about something else?
Speaker 5: There's more. Like I said, I think my thing is you want to go in with tempered expect and realize it's not traditional because that doesn't follow that normal like three acts structure that were sort of even if you don't know what the three act structures, you go and watch movies and it kind of flows that way. But it's interesting. I was never bored in it, you know it. I was. I never found myself checking my watch even though it runs over two hours and it's it's it keeps you guessing because it is one of those movies that you're like, well, gosh, you know, anything can happen.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 5: You know, you watch Superman. You talked about Superman. You're like, corn, I'm not gonna kill Superman, so you know that's gonna end okay for him. But this one you have no idea. So that's what I would say. So it's it's a non traditional movie, but it's worth checking out.
Speaker 4: Okay, very good.
Speaker 1: Now, Good Boy is a dog movie, more or less correct, and I've saw a trailer about it. I want to see this one too, but I don't know if I should. That's why we have you on, Kevin Carr. Is it the movies? I just explain the hero nature I guess of the dog, which they are in most of our lives.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Good Boy is it's a horror movie. It's told from the dog's point of view. That's sort of the angle of it. And I mean not just that he's the main character, but you know, shot with low angles the human characters, their faces are often obscured, and there's dialogue, but it just kind of goes on in the background. It it's the presence of this dog with his owner who's got some health problems. He's a younger man but has some health problems, and he moves into it's more than a cabin, it's a house, but it's in the middle of the woods that his grandfather used to own, and there's something in there. There's some entity and the dog is trying to figure out what it is, and it's sniffing around and looking around, and there's some sort of malevolent presence there. And so yeah, it's a haunted house movie told from a dog's point of view, which makes it unique because otherwise it would have just been kind of a run of the mill entity movie kind of thing. But the dog's played by the dog's real names in and the character is named Indie, named after Indiana Jones. It's been a great dog. I mean, I'm like, let's give the dog the Academy Award at this point.
Speaker 1: Has that ever happened? No, I just I could have gotten like an Emmy, right, not.
Speaker 5: Like air Bud, the Oscars or.
Speaker 4: If you ever had that happen. I mean, you've had dogs.
Speaker 1: I mean I've been to the house car I know, and you've had a dog that like has seemingly had something that it's had interest in that, It's been a disturbed by in the backyard, in the house, whatever it is. It's heard something, smelled something and acted irregular, and then you kind of wonder, is there something there? Is it something beyond this realm? I mean, so that sort of plays into that thing that a lot of us, anybody who's had a pet has had something like that kind of happened.
Speaker 4: Just maybe not really a horror show.
Speaker 5: Well, definitely with a dog, cats are less. Cats are like in general okay kind of the way the cat works. But no, nothing is creepier than when you have a dog and you're sitting around and all of a sudden the dog just purse up and it's like and you didn't hear.
Speaker 4: Anything, because they hear and smell at all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you just don't know. Now, Like I live in the suburbs, so there's there's always like cars going by and you know that kind of thing. So there's always external noises. But I've been I've been in the you know, like in relatives, you know when they live out in the woods, you know, in the hills of West Virginia. Yeah, you don't want to hear the dogs get like upset then, because I mean that could be that's not even a ghost thing. I mean, if you're like in the West Virginia, it could be there could be coyotes there. Could you don't know what's outside at night in the middle of the woods.
Speaker 1: And I hear them all the time around the house is sterling, and my dog will will peak up, and then he's kind of like, all right, we can go in the house now, because I think he he that's about the only thing he's scared of. Everything else. He's got a big mouth. He'll hide behind me. But when he hears the coyotes yipping and yapping and whatever they do late at night, he's like, all right, I'm good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you don't know. The coyotes are not to be trifled with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he'd be a snack. He's like, I know they can shump that six foot fence. It's no big deal. So of the way that plays out anything else before we let you hop I know you mentioned you saw something else. I can't remember what it was, though, yeah it was.
Speaker 5: I got a chance to check out the new Netflix film. It's coming out in theaters I think on October tenth and on Netflix on the twenty fourth. House of Dynamite, Yeah, which is Captain Bigelow's new movie. Stars Rebecca Ferguson, Andrecelba, Tracy Letts, pretty big cast, and what it does is it tells a story of sort of like in real time, of the government and the military's response to an a ICBM launch into the United States. But they don't know who's done it, or who's behind it, or where it came from exactly, and they have eighteen minutes to figure out what to do. Oh can you stop it? How do you respond? And so it's this eighteen minute segment replayed like three times h and it's it's it's really quite terrifying when you look at the reality behind a situation like that. Because we know you and I grew up with war games and all that kind of stuff with the with movies about you know, nuclear winter could happen. We've kind of forgotten that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know about you, but I remember in elementary school we had tornado drills and fire drills and distinkly we may have done it more than once, but there was one time they'd had us go to the basement fallout shelter kind of thing. Oh, after seeing a movie, like we were supposed to hide. I guess if they can't hit ge or right pad or whatever it was, you know, if it actually was going down. And I remember being a little kid even because they were like you could duck your head under the you know, the desk, or use a book to cover your head.
Speaker 5: You got that, you actually got an honest to god duck and cover yeah drill when you were in school. I never got the duck and cover.
Speaker 4: Drill only time, and I thought they had too. I mean, I didn't know anything about it.
Speaker 1: And I told my mom about it, and she was like, uh, it's you know, I wouldn't worry about it, which is the way she said it, and I kind.
Speaker 4: Of alluded to it. I was like, what difference is that gonna make?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: I remember the original duck and cover like video from the fifties with the turtle singing and everything. There's like people having a picnic and they put the blanket over it. Like that blanket is not going to stop a thermonuclear weapon.
Speaker 1: I don't like to throw kool aid on you and you would still get wet and stained.
Speaker 4: It's not going to stop nuclear fall out.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right. The picnic basket is worthless against like soft.
Speaker 4: Drinks, that's right.
Speaker 5: But one of the things, because because I was in the there was we had a press conference and Catherine Bigelow was there and everything, and she talked about one of the things she said was what was terrifying when they were doing the research for this film. She's like, there's like there's like nine countries on this planet that have nuclear capabilities, and like only three of them are NATO. I might have those numbers wrong, So my apologies to those who know that.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well that's one of those things that we know when the Soviet Union broke up, and we know it's a problem now obviously, but the talk was always about you know, the dirty bomb, those weapons that sort of may have been missing that you know, something could be out there, but there are so many actors now that meaning countries, nation states are otherwise there could be up to no good. It's just sort of I don't even know why worry about it, I guess, but what you just described is unnerving. Edress Alba is always great, Jared Harris, which is of course Richard Harris's son who was imagining, and a bunch of other stuff. This cast seems interesting when you say it's unnerving, and it's weird for you to say, so that clearly got into your head.
Speaker 5: Well, like like another thing. And Big Old pointed this out on the press conferences, and you see it in the film. You see the play out in the film. You know, SECTAFF will drill this thing four hundred times a year. They know what to do in this situation, and you know how to track the missiles and all this kind of stuff. And they and they asked in the production. They're asking their consultants and they say, you know, how much prep prep does the president get? And they're like, he's for less than an hour when he takes office, just now, and that is it. And then he has this guy following him around with football and he's the one who makes the decisions of how many how do we respond? Do we respond? You know, do we respond? And you know, do we spend everything?
Speaker 7: Do we do it?
Speaker 5: Sturgical? I mean, and in this movie, it shows you have eighteen minutes from from the moment it happens to the moment at Land you have eighteen minutes and then within that time all these decisions have to be made. So it's it shows how precariously balanced we are. And it's just we don't realize that now because that was an eighties thing. You know, everyone's like, oh, we're past it. We are not past that.
Speaker 4: No, it's still out there, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Kevin Carr. By the way, Silver Gecko on Substec. One last thing I have to ask somebody message me just now about it. And I was going to ask anyway. So that's perfect. Thank you Alex for that. You mentioned it Netflix film, which most of us have streaming of that. But it's in theaters and it's not just going to be in the netflick flix theaters because they have some of their own now, right, But will this be like at the a MC down the street downtown what uh?
Speaker 5: Generally I don't know what the release window is for that. Sometimes they do just put them in the Netflix theaters. That's that is a qualifying run, so it's eligible for Oscars, oh and awards. That's why a lot of times this time of year, you're gonna see that when when Gambello Tomorrow's Frankenstein comes out, you're gonna see that with a bunch of stuff that goes to Netflix where they really promoted for the at home viewing, because that's that is the business model of the Netflix. But they've bought these theaters and then they can run them in these theaters in New York and LA in order to qualify. So I'm not sure how wide it's gonna run. Now, wake Up something like Wake Up dead Man, which is the next NICs out movie, that might get a wider release in theaters, because that tends to make a little bit more money in wide release than than some of these smaller movies or or these more targeted no pun intended.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, if you can make a little bit more money, who doesn't want more money in general? Yeah, so I totally get that. Kevin Cart's good to talk to you again. Sorry we missed a week. We'll obviously have you back as always. Silver Gecko on substack. Fat guys at the movies. Thanks for making time. I hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend. Man all right, thank you too, take care of yourself. More Sterling coming back. Ten third report straight away. Lee Mallen has that, including some ties to Rod Serling in the Big one straight away.
Speaker 4: Seven hundred WLW Thanks seven hundred w LW the weekend.
Speaker 1: It's cheer reds of course, eliminated from posts and playing. Played two wild card games out in LA and lost both, So vacation time for them, rebuilding or at least planning ahead and some wholesale changes maybe to try to get to the next level next year. So hot the stove league action at least for them sooner than later. Other playoffs continuing on tomorrow. The Big twelve football getting ready to get under way tonight. You got West Virginia on the road at BYU just about to kickoff time or just kicked off actually, so we can update you on that as well. Iowa State in town at Knippert tomorrow kickoff noon, home of those football Bearcats.
Speaker 4: News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Hear the game here and will follow of course, so with Donade joining me to get you through your Saturday afternoon. So hopefully they can get back on track. Three and one record for the Bearcats, five and oh for Iowa State undefeated coming in it should be a good matchup. A lot of stuff going on. Oh, by the way, up Bengals and Lions. I wasn't overlooking it before I get hate on it. It's just that, I mean, you know, two and oh start where everybody was like, oh, you know, let's hope that they start off quick rather than in a hole. Oh and two oh and three, and then Joe's tow became an issue thanks to the turf problem and jacked it up, so he's out for at least what three months, give or take, maybe not back the season at all. And Jake Browning under center and now oh and two with him, that makes them five hundred with a three to one Lions team coming down seventy five to play at pay Corps. You'll hear that also on seven hundred WLW. Let's see, Oh, this is kind of a big news. It's been around going on for a while in the news. It's been now the better part of ninety days. I think it's a three months since p diddy. Sean Colmes used to be puff Daddy, I mean pick various aliases in his creative outlook, including big screen work too in a great movie called Maids from a number of years ago too, made with the dead Colombo some time ago.
Speaker 4: But serious reasons why he's in the news.
Speaker 1: He was convicted in federal court in New York three months ago on two prostitution related charges, acquitted of what was considered to be a much more serious charge of racketeering, conspiracy and sex trafficking, but he is still looking to get what could have been a good number of years, like ten eleven years instead with time served. Another four altogether is what he's been sentenced to, So he's going to go away for a while, in addition to also having a pretty decent size fine associated with it. All the talk of sex trafficking, prostitution issues and Hammer coming down on that, it's gotten a lot of attention. I don't know how much of a big deal this is for everybody in general at this point, but for anyone wanting justice, anyone wanting retribution for wrongdoing and putting people in situations that they don't want to be forced into some type of sex trade or otherwise. This is probably what people wanted, is an outcome as a penalty for that type of behavior. He of course said all the things that you would hope someone would say, certainly what a lot of times people say when they're coming up on sentencing after a conviction, to try to lessen what they could be having to navigate when it comes to being locked up in losing their freedom. So what I'm wondering about is this. And Cassie Ventura, by the way, one of those a singer that was sort of a part of his groups tutelage and his production and all the other stuff that goes with it. She testified against him, very serious contributor to that prosecution and help get that conviction came out. And she says, well, nothing can undo the trauma caused by Combs. The sentence imposed today, this is what she said earlier, recognizes the impact of the serious offenses he committed. She says, we're confident that the support of her family and friends, Miss Ventura will continue healing and knowing that her bravery and fortitude have been an inspiration to so many. What I'm wondering is this, And I'll open up the phones and see where your head is on this five three seven four nine, seven thousand, eight hundred, the Big One. If you're on X what used to be called Twitter. I guess I still have to say that for some because occasionally people will say I got there on T footer, But it's X. Yeah, that's what it is and that's what it has been. At Stirling Radio. You can find me there three seven four nine seven eight hundred the Big One. You can talk back the iHeartRadio app as well by clicking on that microphone. Do you think that five years for what he was convicted of is enough?
Speaker 4: Is it fair?
Speaker 1: Is it just the judge certainly making that determination. Prosecution wanted to full ride. Defense wanted what had already been served effectively, because that's their job.
Speaker 4: I mean, nobody wants to go away. In some cases.
Speaker 1: Being famous and notable maybe makes his time behind bars more difficult. In some cases from what they say, that may make it a little bit easier of a ride, depending on how you look at it. Certainly will help his street cred in some circles relation to that. But if you are someone who loves women as I do, whether it's your mother, your sister, your daughter, or otherwise the woman in your life if you are a woman, my guess. I hate to make an assumption. I learned that watching reruns of the Benny Hill Show on Channel nineteen when I was a young sterling. You make an ass to you and me when you assume. But one would surmise that most people that are reasonable looking at someone who's been convicted of something like that, should go away, should spend time, should be a penalty because they were convicted of doing something that caused harm to another or others. In relation to that, he did spend thirteen months away already, he'll get credit for that. Plus the issue of bond five year Supervoice release in addition to that, and apparently obviously fairly broken up about it, I'm wondering, do you think it's fair? Is it reasonable?
Speaker 4: Is it just?
Speaker 1: And in this time and talk of all the Epstein files and tapes that are still dripping out with no real information beyond that there's some big fish out there who have done some pretty serious thing to some underage women and others. A part of that, and occasionally here in the news you hear in the tri State, other parts of Ohio and the country it's a fairly common thing. It's the oldest profession out there, and oftentimes it's not women of age making a choice to you know, make money the old fashioned way. It's people that have been forced into it, marginalized, trafficed or otherwise. If I've went three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred the big one, what do you think. Let's get to bond Hill and Rafael haven't talked to Raffi in a while. Welcome back to seven hundred WLW with Sterling.
Speaker 5: How are you, brother, Sterling?
Speaker 3: How's it going?
Speaker 1: No complaints, my man, it's a nice, beautiful Friday night and talking to you life is good.
Speaker 6: Well, man, can't get no better than this, hey, Sterling, Man, I got a soft spot for women as well. Females.
Speaker 8: Yes, my mother, grandmother.
Speaker 6: White, anybody you know that's a female. Men who abuse them, beat them, rape, sexual assault, manipulate them are lower than the lowest creature ever in the history of life. I hate saying that guy's name, but he is pure scum, scum, unadulterated filth. Unfortunately, the charges that's stuck the judge, and I know judges has to be totally unbiased and whatnot, but it seems like the sentence for the charges fits. Even though I don't have a problem that the prosecution where they were asking for a full eleven years and whatnot. The five years or whatever that he got, he could have done that half that time with eleven or so.
Speaker 8: But so be it.
Speaker 6: But I think that if you and I followed the case. Sterling, one of the witnesses that would have the prosecution had lined up to speak today in the eleventh hour, she declined, that's because of fear. And this dude ran a criminal enterprise based on sex, drugs, intimidation, fear of violence, a gun running. He ran a criminal network empire. And of course you know that the jury they tossed out things that they didn't think were revealing everything.
Speaker 8: But I thought that the.
Speaker 6: Prosecute, I'm sorry, prostitution across state lines. I thought that that was definitely relevant. But this guy should get the full amount of time possible. And he's not going to get it because he still had people who worked for him, who abused women, intimidated women, beat women, and and and their family members and whatnot. And and people were fearful of this guy, but his his bs crying and and and and speaking before the court and letters and everything like that. He's talking about that. You know he's so honest now and you know he'll never do it like that. Remember when the video when he beat hit Casfie in the.
Speaker 4: Hallway the elevator.
Speaker 6: Right now he said, prior to that video coming out, like, oh, I've never hit her. I never abused Kathy. The video drops and everything in crickets. See, he's a live sterling because he's just I'm only hanging up so you can get other calls because I don't want anything to slip out of my mouth. Okay, he disgusts me, brother, he really does.
Speaker 1: I understand. I can hear it through the the you know your call and conversation, refe. I appreciate the call. One question before you bounce, though, is it interesting to you as it is to me? The fame, the fortune, the notoriety oftentimes brings a soft feeling, more of a feeling of either indifference or somehow uh an idea of softness and consideration for the accused in this case, the convicted and did it columns in a situation like this, to compare to if it was just somebody random off the street, he unfortunately.
Speaker 6: Yes, and then he had his kids and family members parading in front with the fake peers and all that. You know, they're just looking at the money. He's talking about his business is gone and everything like that. It's not he's still going to make money by ways of his criminality. But unfortunately, jury members and others and especially in the black community, you know, sterling, but they just see this guy. You know, it's just like I think one of his attorneys she got up there crime saying, like, you know, he's a beacon of hope in the black community. The hope is that you hope that this guy doesn't beat, rape, drug your daughter, niece, granddaughter.
Speaker 5: That's that's the hope.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 6: All bs that they get caught up in this. You know that he's he's somebody, he's somebody.
Speaker 1: Power, hunk, power and fame are a very interesting thing and how people want to let go of stuff and go along with certain elements of it are discounted or somehow marginalize the victim. But we're in a society historically, globally speaking, that is marginalized, treated as less than insignificant or as property. Women and certainly children in so many cases, and it continues to be the case like that. Now it's it's bewildering. You're right, you know, and I was raised by Yeah. It really is good to talk to you, Ruffel. I appreciate the comment. Always you always you take care of yourself, Enjoy the weekend. Five point three seven four nine seven eight hundred. The big one the iHeartRadio app. You can pick up the phone, give it the finger, or to click that microphone on the iHeart app and leave a message that way too. I'm on x AX Sterling Radio as well. I'd like to hear from some ladies on this as well. Give you a chance to sound off on this.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: It is the oldest profession in the book, but forced into it, you know, somehow treated less than abused, beaten or otherwise. Is the thing that is a very wild thing. If it just popped up in the news about somebody from pick A city in the Tri State. I don't want a point a finger in any community where something could happen, But imagine anywhere along seventy one or seventy five, in a hotel someplace or downtown place it happens.
Speaker 4: But here's the wrinkle.
Speaker 1: I want to ask, because I've mentioned this before in some fashion, the same way when it comes to legal weed or other drug situations. You know, where you take the moratorium off of it, where you can control it, where you could allow the authorities to have a hand in it. You're never going to completely eradicate the so called black market of trade of drugs or sex and so forth, but to have it safer and more secure, and it is allowed to have some hand of authority in there for health care and keeping the activities safer, not completely safe, and making sure that it's people that are in it because that's what they choose rather than what they've been forced to do. Does that not make it better? Should that not be something that we talk about. I'm not saying normalize it, but it's going on. It has always gone on, and it will never stop going on because if not getting it, and even if you've got it at home, there's a whole lot of people who like to either buy a power play or to get what they can't get at the house someplace else out there. Five point three seven eight hundred the big one real quick, Let's get Chad here before the break on hold, and then we'll give you a chance to speak your mind as well. Chad, what do you think are with Sterling on the big one?
Speaker 9: Hey, thanks for all Listen everything that got your least car says right, completely right.
Speaker 8: Listen.
Speaker 9: If I'm a lot of these victims, I got to be disgusted with this. The serious charges, I mean, what he did was serious. But I'm saying the other charges that they threw out, it's clear that he bought them or paid or there's money involved here that got rid of these various serious charges. And the fact of the sense he got. I mean, I'm glad he's going away, but let's not kid ourselves here for what he did is a slap on the wrist he's gonna get. I mean, I'm disgusted, Like I said, the victims have got to be disgusted about this. I mean because, like I said, the other charges that they that they threw out, and people had to see this coming. You know, when they threw these other charges out, they you knew you I knew this was coming. He was going to get. I'm not saying four years of I send, but what he should have got, what the charges that had left, they should have gave him the max. Considering all the other charges that we all know he was guilty of, they threw out Chad.
Speaker 4: You know what's interesting.
Speaker 1: I was talking to a friend of mine earlier today about it, and she was saying that before the sentencing came out, that she thought he was going to be able to walk. She said she was surprised pleasantly, but not as happy as she would be, as you said, if he had gotten the MAX. But I'll ask you what I asked her, and she said that she thought it should be decriminalized and controlled in some fashion, talking about the sex trade. But it's not going to eliminate those who like kids in, those who want to traffic in people who were forced into it. But should it be something you know, I don't know, if you have a red light district or something like in Amsterdam or other parts of the world. Would that make things safer and more secure for the customer as well as the person who's doing the work. Or is that just too far down, you know, across the line of what's inappropriate.
Speaker 9: Do you think No, I think you're exactly right that that has to be that's something that can be controlled, because the way it is right now, there's never going.
Speaker 4: To be controlled.
Speaker 9: It's all like you said, it's always going to be out there and the people that got all the power and the money, they're going to keep doing this stuff. It's got to be controlled. And it's something like that. I mean, I don't know the numbers, the statistic, but I'm sure something like in Amsterdam with a red audition all these other places that have something, or I'll go to Philippines Platoff and they got like something like that. I mean, it's it's more controlled now. Obviously you're still going to have the miners getting in there other stuff, but there's got to be something to stop this because this happens. And this is this because it's the high profile case. We don't I mean, something like this happens every day that we don't hear about just because it has to be Sean Colmes, That's why we've heard everything. It's disgusting and I don't know what has to be done, but I think something like that. I'm not saying I'm promoting it, but that might be the only way to kind of slow this crap down.
Speaker 8: That's it.
Speaker 4: You know, great call chat.
Speaker 1: Appreciate the takes, man, I appreciate you listening being a part of the show. Straight away, You're eleven o'clock report. More on this, and a whole lot of other stuff to touch on, including doctor Donald Schleck conversation I had with her, former head of political science at Wright State about what looks to be the beginnings of an Israeli Hamas broker peace deal, thanks with little help from the United States and Tony Blair of the UK. Coming up more Sterling here, home of the Reds, Home of the Bengals, Home of the Musketeers, and those football Bearcats. Taken on Iowa State Tomorrow noon kickoff here seven hundred WLW Cincinnati, and Friday night the tri State. Unusually warm leading into October, not quite the as so bad as it could be. I remember cold and rain and a lot of high school football. Nine updates on score sooner than later. Conversation with doctor Donald Schleck, a Right State University former head of political science now professor Merida. We'll get an earful about what looks to be a positive news about a broker peace deal and an agreement between Israel and Hamas. We'll see how that plays out coming up after your eleven thirty report. Between then and now, continue on a little of this conversation. Actually, I have a lot of things I want to get to in a short amount of time. Mentioning earlier about the outcome and the sentencing of Sean Ditty Colms used to be puff daddy, a puffy whatever you want to call Hi, Pete didty, it doesn't matter. Inmate number whatever you want to call it. Looking away now to fifty months locked up just over four years for two prostitution a prostitution related charges with the prosecution that successfully convicted him some three months ago, about ninety days it was sentencing, coming out today, could have faced something in the neighborhood of eleven years and a couple extra months associated with that. I ask you, is that fair? Is reasonable judgment? Judgment? And because it is the oldest profession in the book, But there's a difference between somebody deciding to do that as a line of work and revenue generation as a job for one of a better way to describe it, so called oldest profession there is, and being forced into it to be traffic, to be abused, to be beaten for somebody else's profit. In this is really sort of what that boiled down to. If you are a woman. If you are a mother, a daughter, a sister, a grandmother, you name it an aunt whatever it is. I know I was raised by a mom who did it on her own. She has like four three four sisters, and I'm sympathetic. I love women, and one making a choice to do something is one thing. One being forced into it. Abused in general is a weird thing when you're talking about buying of a person, whether it's renting them their parts or otherwise, which is sort of what it boils down to their accompaniment whatever it is. In general, trafficking of them is an odd scenario. But I think freedom of choice for consenting adults is one thing. This clearly was something else. Is that time away some fifty months legit? Is it reasonable? Is it rational? What about the decriminalization of and legality of somehow bringing out prostitution in a more controlled way the way it is in parts of Nevada and other parts of the world. Is that something that would make it safer and more secure? Five three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred The big one. I asked this before, and I'll restate this. I got some hate at Sterling Radio one X about this. Five one three seven nine eight hundred, the big one. It is something that has always been there, and even legalizing it or decriminalizing it, in controlling it, however much safer it might make it for those that are the patronage, you know, those that are shopping for love for one of a better way to describe it, probably not love but the love, and or those that are actually doing it as their business, you know, health wise, safety, security, et cetera. There's always going to be be a black market for it. Even though there's legal weed, there's still a black market for that and a danger associated with it, depending on who you're dealing with and how it rolls. I want to know what you think, Tinaz First was Sterling appreciate your holding for so long? It with Sterling on seven hundred WLW. What do you think about one the sentencing of Didy Was it reasonable and just do you think? And what about making it legal?
Speaker 8: Well let me find out first. Let me get this right.
Speaker 10: When I first started listening, I thought they said that did he got five years eleven years?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: No, no, he was up.
Speaker 1: He could have faced like eleven years plus he got four years for plus time served already, which is somewhere in the neighborhood of thirteen months. I think he's already been away, so but he'll have another four years behind bars.
Speaker 8: Well, I think that's a travesty to women.
Speaker 10: I think it's hugely disrespectful for our legal system to only have given him that much triticularly most of us thought he should have gotten twenty years or longer. Not only was its sex trafficking, it was very brutal beatings.
Speaker 8: It was you know, they were.
Speaker 10: Threatened with their life.
Speaker 8: You also have the.
Speaker 10: Drug trafficking, and if you're taking it to another country, wouldn't that be illegally transferring drugs or transferring drugs internationally, which they seem to blow over. I think, you know, truthfully, it's embarrassing for our legal teams, our legal systems. There was so much that he was in charge for that he should have been certainly a whole lot more than just prostitution.
Speaker 1: You know, I was just going to ask you, because you know, all the talk and it's sort of died down because there's just so much in a news cycle at this point.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's almost overwhelming a wave of it.
Speaker 1: But you know, the Epstein Fi else those associated with it, we know he killed himself allegedly. We know about Elayne Maxwell in her circumstance and her sharing of information subsequent to her prosecution. Her time away got her a little bit of a softer, more livable circumstance, which I think is a joke.
Speaker 4: Frankly.
Speaker 1: Yes, that being said, do you think you know what about what we don't know now and what is apparently yet to be shared openly about all that with the Epstein files thing, And I'm not you know, I don't care who's involved. Isn't that something that should be also thought of, because I mean, this stuff happens all the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, And I think a lot of the hold up on you know, the Epstein trials is because there's too many political people and too many people in high up positions, even from other countries that were involved in the Epstein And I think that's that's a travesty that because of that, we're not going to really know the truth on all of that, And that's I think that's bull crap, you know, I mean, the American people are you know, we're kept away from so much of the truth because who may be involved and what the position is and what money they have involved. And not do that way. You know who's like has had you know, instances where on on my phone that I have gotten news that states a lot of different actors that are involved in that as well, And I think because of their money and their position, is wrong for them not to be named, not for the American people to medd the truth. You know, I think you know it all boils down to a lot of people. Well, it boils down through money and who you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, power, money, power, authority. It It's always been the case and it will always be the circumstance. Tina, you mentioned something associated with us that I think is relevant in thought provoking. So I'll pose the question I've posed to others and have mentioned here before, if in fact it were decriminalized, if it were controlled, would it make it safer and more secure for more people involved, be it the customer, the client, one for health, and all the other stuff that goes with it. It's already going on, It's always been going on. But the difference, of course, in the case of Diddy with what he was convicted of, with those with the Epstein thing is a little bit different because we're talking about underage girls. In many cases effectively children kids is really what it is youngteen girls, which is really bewildering.
Speaker 8: And that's rage. That's not just sex trafficking. That's also rape.
Speaker 10: Yeah, underage and even women over age that you know are forced into it. It's that's rape as well as well as the sex trafficking. And don't I don't think, I don't believe that it should be any any breaks for that money or power. I know I was right at eleven years old. I spotted even at a eleven years old with my mother and the guy got forty years and he did thirty six thirty six with those forty And we need to see sentences like that again where you know they're giving you know, they do the crime, they get sentenced, and they should do the time the full time. Too many people are let out early and it's another reasons for them to continue doing what they were doing. The prostitution has been around as long as we know. It doesn't make it right, It shouldn't make it legal, it shouldn't make it okay, and certainly it's should be treated, you know, to the fullest extent of the law. You know, men can go in and do time or women if they break the man, which the cases are a lot lower, but they do the time, and they get off and they go home at the end of their time. Women have that memory like I have the memory of maybeing rate eleven, and I could tell you the whole story beginning to end. And I'm sixty one now. So we don't get a break from it. We don't get time off for good behavior. You remember it for the rest of our life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your sentenced to that abuse forever. First of all, team, I'm sorry that you suffered that. And I can't imagine that circumstance and the fact that you went through it in a prosecution and they were able to send that waste of flesh away for some period of time thirty six or forty years. That's something that doesn't happen that often, especially in the window of time that you're talking about. That's in fact unusual. I will say this that almost every woman that I have gotten over the years to be friends with, not necessarily dated, but just friends. Even the conversation has come up. It is astounding to me how many tell me about being abused in some fashion, whether it's date rape or some other type of assault. I would say sixty percent that I've talked to, if it's ever broached in conversation, have told me they victims of such activity.
Speaker 10: Yes, yes, And the thing is, and this was in seventy five, but we need to go back to that same sentence, a kind where you're giving the full extent of the penalty and you have to serve that all time. There's no getting off for you know, good behavior. That's what happened with me.
Speaker 8: They let the guy off once for good behavior.
Speaker 10: He was in jail for five years, and when they let him out for good behavior, he came out, he got me.
Speaker 8: It was right back in jail. And that's the thing. I mean.
Speaker 10: Women don't get a break from time. We remember it forever. Yes, I mean I could tell you what happened from moment to moment, and that was, you know, in nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 8: So where's my break? Where's my time off?
Speaker 10: But you know, I rely on God?
Speaker 5: Was still.
Speaker 10: Another thing that the country is falling away from is the belief in God. The strength that's sad.
Speaker 1: The strength that you you have shown and endured in carrying those scars with you. But to pick up the phone to you know, contribute to this conversation and share that with me, and you know, the tens of thousands, if not as Willy likes to say, millions and millions listening shows how strong you are. I'm sorry that you dealt with that, but I am glad that you've been strong enough to endure it as a child effectively to put them away, but also to be able to share it now.
Speaker 4: So thank you very much.
Speaker 8: Not a problem.
Speaker 10: I mean, I just want to tell people that, you know, they don't break us totally. We do remember it for a long time and we're somewhat scarred. But you know, I have a higher power who who just helps me forget the bad parts. And actually I forgave him after a number of years. He was sick and I didn't know that as a child, but I know it now. And the thing is, you still have to go through, you have to go on. But they should still be punished at the full extent of the law and it should stick.
Speaker 8: You know, no getting off. You know, early good behavior and booth crap.
Speaker 7: You know, if you had good behavior, you would have done it.
Speaker 10: So but I thank you for running the program. I love your program. I'm in front Cincinnati, I live in Leumington, Ohio. Now, but I always enjoy getting into the van on all the road.
Speaker 8: Trip and turning you guys on. Well, Tina, I appreciate yourself.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you listening to being a part of it, and just I can't say how in all of you being able to comfortably share that, or at least sharing it. I don't know how comfortable it was. And hopefully maybe you know somebody listening was able to be helped in some fashion by hearing your tale and what you've dealt with too.
Speaker 4: So thank you very much.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoyed the rest of your weekend and feel free to call back any time. Take care of yourself certainly. Well all right, Tina, thank you, God bless you pleasure too.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Tina. Quick break will come back. It's wow.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine having to suffer through something like that, especially as a child, and to be able to go through the prosecution process, the whole judicial system scenario, and going back into the seventies it was changing somewhat, but a child having to navigate that and to be strong enough to deal with that had to have great support from family and though those are out there and even in the situation in court proceedings.
Speaker 4: So often you hear.
Speaker 1: About it, and you've read about it, and you see it in film and everything else. And the people who go through such things often or they turn it around in a court setting and want to point the finger of blame at the victim, which should never ever be the case. I'm sterling in. This is seven hundred WLW conversation from early with doctor donnad Schleck former had a political science at right State, now professor Meredith. You know, she's Cincinnati kid talking about the Israel hamas a broker peace deal with the help of President Trump the United States. Dates and Tony Blair from the UK, former Prime Minister. There details on that and great insights from her. Back again tomorrow with Donna d in the afternoon following UC football, Bearcats looking to take on Iowa State. They're unbeaten five and oh ranked fourteen in the country. You see Bearcats three and one and Big twelve action. Of course, some of that going on right now BYU hosting West Virginia leading fourteen to three. What else is going on? Oh FC Cincinnati they're doing it tomorrow night as well. They take on New York and I think it's an Apple TV game if I'm not mistaken. And they're playing on the road in Harrison, New Jersey at Sports Illustrated Stadium.
Speaker 4: So there is that. What else is there?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, Bengals Lions Sunday afternoon, late kickoff like four point thirty four to twenty five. Hopefully the Bengals can get back on the winning side of things. Two and oho to start, Joe's Toad became initial zero and two with Jake Browning under center trying to rework the offense as seemingly all the wheels came off. Hopefully they'll get it back together and maybe shock the world. I think it's a ten and that last the last time I looked, Drew wester Heidie correct me if I'm wrong. I think it was a ten and a half point spread. And it's not for the well the Bengal Tigers that we've got right, Yeah, So we've got big cats looking to maul each other at Pacoorps down on the River and on the big one straight away. Lee Mawen has news conversation with Donna Schlake on the other side back again tomorrow, also with Donna d right here on seven hundred WLW