Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. All Right, we're in his hometown. We are in Slam Diego, that's what they used to call it. But the Dodgers are back here at Peco Park. The last time they were here, they had a game and a half lead in the NL West, now a nine game lead over the San Diego Padres. And I'm in the office, the manager's office of the man that has three World Championships as the manager and in twenty twenty six the best record in baseball, and that is the one and only Dave Roberts brought to a spy downy Hunday. Dave, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it, Dave.
Speaker 3: Always a fun catching up with you, having a conversation. And yeah, coming off and off day, got in late a couple nights ago, guys reset did what they could do. And then today, you know, just kind of going around the clubhouse, everyone seemed recharged.
Speaker 1: Were you surprised even on the day off, just how whatever took place in Minnesota took on a life of its own with social media. I mean, it just seems like there's no controlling some of these things.
Speaker 3: No, I get it, and when you're the Los Angeles Dodgers, everything is certainly more magnified. And I guess the off day came at the right time, and you know, just seeing the guys right now. Ultimately we won three games there, and you're always trying to get better with communication amongst staff, players, staff, our players, among players, and so that's that's part of it.
Speaker 2: So nothing is always easy.
Speaker 3: But you know, coming in here today, I feel really good about, you know, communication where we're at.
Speaker 1: You got Walker Buehler on the mound for the Padres today. Obviously he's meant a lot to you, a lot to the Dodgers. What do you expect tonight as far as his emotions. Do you feel like that may get the better of him tonight?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's going to bring out the best in him in the sense of his motivation to want to pitch well against us. He means a lot to me, obviously, means a lot to the Dodger fans. Considering what he's done for all of us. I think who he is now, he has sort of reinvented himself. The fastball is not ninety seven ninety eight. You're going to see fours and threes and three to five. There's can be a lot of cutters, a lot of curveballs, you know, some two seamers, and kind of just mixing and matching more of an even distributed pitch mix.
Speaker 2: But he's still as competitive as ever.
Speaker 1: I'm always interested with what you're seeing from the dugout because you've had so many really good players come through this clubhouse that have moved on to other teams. Just when you're watching a guy like Walker who does feed off emotion, what will you know early in the game.
Speaker 3: You know, I think for me is he's not going I know Walker in big games, and this is going to be a big game for him. He's going to try to minimize slug He's not afraid to walk guys. You know, when it gets hot, he's going to go to his secondary pitches. You know, he's going to be emotional. I think that this is something that he's always you know, wanted to stay a Dodger and it just didn't work out. So his first crack at US, I think he's going to be pretty emotional.
Speaker 1: What did you love the most about him when he was pitching for you? We think back to twenty eighteen Game one, sixty three, obviously the last out in the twenty four World Series. What did you love the most about him being on your side?
Speaker 3: I think that I think the main thing I loved about him is that you knew that he was going to compete. He was going to make pitches when he needed to make pitches. He was prepared, he wasn't afraid. I think that you know, you said game won sixty three. There's been a lot of postseason games, you know, the clinching game coming back in New York in Game six.
Speaker 2: There's just a.
Speaker 3: Lot of things that this guy's just got a huge heart and compete.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll never forget the post at Yankee Stadium. I think that's the lasting image.
Speaker 3: I think he was just looking right at me, Dave, saying, I told you, Doc, I could do this.
Speaker 2: Just give me the baseball.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts is our guest in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Padres. Dave, just take an inventory of the first half of the season. You have the best record in baseball and your team hasn't been whole yet. How have you been able to do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I think that we haven't been whole. It doesn't feel like we have the best record in baseball, and I think that's a good thing. You know, We're always striving to get better and on the margins get better. Guys have stepped up, certainly in the bullpen. The bottom half of the rotation has been fantastic.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The defense has been very consistent. Even with what Muki did in Minnesota on the defensive side was huge.
Speaker 2: How have we done it?
Speaker 3: I think for us it's just really not worrying about the guys that aren't with us and just focusing on the guys that are with us and trying to you know, just collect wins, keep stacking wins and so and also just trying to get better every day.
Speaker 1: How much higher can the ceiling be for you guys this year?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we expect to win another championship. We have a long way to go, even from June twenty sixth to you know, to the postseason. But I think for us, you know, getting guys back, you know, getting Blake back, getting Eddie ds back, getting Will Smith back, getting Taoscar back, guys like that, Evan Phillips are going to make us, you know, raise that ceiling for us, but for me, honestly, seeing the younger guys play another guys get opportunities, that's been a big takeaway up to this point.
Speaker 1: Yes, So you mentioned Tommy Edmunds back taoscar Hernandez. Is he still coming back when you get to Sacramento.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the plan, is he's going to play again the next two nights and then Sunday. I think he'll be down and we'll meet us in Sacramento on Monday.
Speaker 1: I remember a couple of weeks ago you had mentioned around the fourth of July for Evan Phillips. Is that still trending in the right direction?
Speaker 2: I think so. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Right now, I think he's going to take a couple of days off from pitching back to back, and so I think that that July fourth kind of timeline still looks to be.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know where we're at.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you look at your team now, you're starting to get your bullpen looking like you wanted it to until Diaz comes back. With Brock Stewart back, it feels like some of these younger guys like Kyle Hurt have really seized their opportunity.
Speaker 2: No, Kyle Hurt is a guy that.
Speaker 3: You know, we traded for him a couple of years ago and just always liked his stuff, but just couldn't stay on the field. But now the body is strong, he's healthy, he's got a lot of real confidence and we've I've referenced that with Robleski with that real confidence. Now Henriquez, you know, Guarda is another guy that I think that he's come of age. And so with Kyle Hurt and Garda Henriquez doing what they're doing allows me to, you know, put Vessia and Tanner Scott in their rightful spot and having trying and down so we still really haven't lost much.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I love when you talk about your trust tree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, But the great thing is that it's not a plan, it's a trust tree. And that's a good thing for a manager when you've got a lot of different good branches.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Mookie Betts, you mentioned him and his defense. The trust tree has always been there with him. Do you feel like he's kind of turned the corner on his season?
Speaker 3: I do, I do, And I think the thing is for me is that the defense has been consistent, you know, from the outset. But I think the thing is that you know, we all have to wrap our heads around, is that he's not MOOKI from Boston. He's not playing right field, and so you know, people I think and even Mookie I'm sure, has that expectation have a nine hundred OPS, but you know, you're playing shortstop. And for me, it's you know, dominate the defense, which he has, help us win baseball games, which he has, and for me, I just don't look at the numbers. I really don't. I just want him. I still believe he's a productive play, but it's not something as shooting for a certain standard of an OPS to kind of validate who he is as a ballplayer right now.
Speaker 1: Does he understand that? Do you feel like he has that outlook for himself?
Speaker 3: I think so, you know, and we've had numerous conversations about that, about expectations and still you know, telling him, you know, how much I believe he is a great player, but understanding, you know, expectations. I think managing expectations is something really important for all of us. But you know, for people to expect him to, you know, be superman, that's sometimes unrealistic, but it is an ultimate compliment. But again, at the end of the day to put a ball on this day. We've got the best record in baseball. We're not whole. There's still a lot of good things that we're doing, and we got a fun series this week and ahead of us.
Speaker 1: No doubt, before we back out of here, Kyle Tucker is back in the starting lineup. It seems like that back issues behind him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, you know, getting him a few days to kind of reset. He took swings the other day in Minnesota. He feels good and it'll be good to get him back in right field tonight.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time, Dave. Always great to catch up with you. I know it's a busy time when you're in San Diego, but it's always great to share you with the fans.
Speaker 3: No, I love the conversation and it's I enjoy kind of giving the fans this insight.