Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy LA Sports and I'm demand on the iHeartRadio wapp. This is the Petros and Money Show. You are one of the kind, hosted by.
Speaker 2: Petros Papaday guests left school after sixth grade. Look at him and the voice of the Bolts that money Smith. The answer is on money. There is nothing you can do. You know it's coming. This is the Petros and Money Show.
Speaker 3: On the home of your world champion Los Angeles Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Make us your top preset on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: I don't crack. Use the under pressure.
Speaker 1: Puss, Puss puss every damn night. You see the march. It couldn't be anything else.
Speaker 4: Shall leave.
Speaker 5: On the telephone Weller foodball for Shame Warriors, Big you talk, give me two do big with the Dready pass.
Speaker 3: If what is different, one is bound to be lonely for Dawn me.
Speaker 4: You Spectro saying money Am five to seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. Already gave away our Freeway Series tickets. Something for the early folks. First Pitch six pm and Anaheim Good Vibes, Better Deals at BJ's scored delicious Entree in a warm gooey pazuki for just thirteen dollars only a BJ's. We gave that away earlier, but we still have that huge prize pack to the Fanatics Flag Football Championships tomorrow. That's gonna be like on field passes and meet and greets and all of that, So stick around. We will still give that away after we already gave away the Freeway Series pack.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those guys are really aggor at each other. A lot of a lot of as talk and a lot of trash talk, and a lot of fighting, a lot of Yeah, that's where they're going. TBSA is going down.
Speaker 6: Hey, Jalen Daniels, good to see you over there. Glad your mom, let you come out and play.
Speaker 3: I'm in a chest though, I'm Tom Brady. I can take it. I got roasted so hard about Giselle. Now I can just roast everybody, roast everybody that like a Roastereas Dodger, San Diego tonight, David Vase Night. We'll be around at five point thirty for the pregame. Everybody looking forward to the season getting started. When we're back on Monday, schedule talk. We will start at two, yes, two be for the Propers Freeway Series, which is the get the dimensions of the park for a couple of days kind of deal, and then we will launch into Opening Day on Thursday. Stay tuned for all the giveaways and fun on your Dodger station. M seventy l A Sports Now. Time for the Top Story of the Day, Top Story of the Day.
Speaker 4: One thing that we know, and it's back to back Lakers top stories. It's part of what makes him as great a player as we've seen ever in the history of the NBA, and it's also what makes him one of the most polarizing and instead of universally beloved players, loathed by a pretty healthy percentage of casual sports fans and even the most diehard roundball fanatics. Lebron is incredibly smart. He's incredibly calculated. If you're just really good at basketball, you're gonna make your hundreds of millions, you know, three hundred million bucks or something, and you're gonna probably blow most of it, and we're not gonna hear about y'all that much off the court until it's revealed that you're like going bankrupt and you blew it. You don't become a billion and a half dollar entity and brand if you're just some lunkhead that's really good at basketball. Yesterday we focused on Luca and how he seemingly has shifted his focus. Now we both have differing philosophies. I tend to believe it's after he picked up that fifteen he technical he was able to hone in and avoid the extended conversation with referees.
Speaker 3: Just say whatever you want, Matt, I don't have a crowd of Mexican Americans to uh to pand or two. Now there's nobody. I don't care. You go ahead and compliment them all. You say what whatever reason you want to come up with for what lucas doing, well, you can have it. Matt.
Speaker 4: I no longer gave you the window to chime in.
Speaker 3: I don't care. I don't want it.
Speaker 4: You close the window and share your Baltic female theory.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, I'm sure he feels some semblance of freedom. But again, without my Mexican American backup, I don't really feel it necessary to push back here.
Speaker 4: Luca was on the periphery of the MVP conversation, maybe the first guy out at the All NBA First Team ballot.
Speaker 3: Now I might start bringing in like a studio audience like best W's two. Oh, just line up like twenty Mexican guys every day just to you know, just so hander them have an audience to pand or two. But look, I mean if you tell me that I used to be with a comedy spy and when she left, I started scoring fifty at night and stopped yelling at the officials, it'd be pretty believable to me. Like it is to my friends in Montabello.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like they necessarily subscribed to that position. I don't feel like that that was you know, like a vote was taken and they're like, yes, comedy spy.
Speaker 3: Your feelings are probably you know, going to be you know, just whatever it is actually biased against against conspiracy theories that I have, and that's fine. You just go from say it's because Luca has some basketball reason.
Speaker 4: Yeah, fine, whatever it is. This last week, this eight game win streak, Luca has firmly placed himself on that first Team All NBA. It will be his sixth appearance in seven seasons. It has likely moved him into the top three MVP candidates, jumping the Joker Nikola Jokic and depending on how this whole thing finishes. While it doesn't seem likely at this point that he's going to be able to push Sega, shake Gildess Alexander off that podium and the number one spot, he does still have two head to heads against the Thunder before this thing is done. And if he continues to drop fifty like he has, or sixty like he did last night, or triple doubles like he is damned near average in the month of March, and the Lakers continue to climb the standings firmly entrench themselves as the three suit or maybe even get to the two, then he still has a shot at that hardware. He is averaging over forty points per game on this eight game stretch, not to mention just shy of triple double numbers and rebounds and assists. They are not empty stats. The games are tight, they're digging out of fifteen point deficits, they're sending games into overtime, they're winning at the buzzer, and they are doing it like they did last night. Because Doncic is draining back to back to back three pointers in the span of ninety seconds after it looked like JJ Reddick was about to pull the plug and rest his guys for the Saturday game against the Magic as the heat just look around and they're like, what the hell just happened? This guy was supposed to be fat and on a bad diet and he was supposed to be gassed by now. And there's other dude's like forty one, why are they still playing? And why are we losing games that we led by fifteen in the second half. Luca's game winners are viral. They've got millions and millions of views, whether they're step back threes or those Luca Magic off balance, fading away opposite direction he's shooting. And yet it's nothing but the end of the net at the end of it. And look, if you follow the Lakers, you already know this. I'm not telling you anything that's breaking news. But going back to the initial statement of our top story, why is it happening? How did we get here? And it's because Lebron is no dummy, and it is no coincidence that on March twentieth we have arrived at this point.
Speaker 3: The public narrative finally overwhelmed Lebron James.
Speaker 4: It took him a moment pee, it took him a minute to get there, to accept and realize. And I do think the public perception is part of it, but I think the bigger part is the current state of his playing career and how he thought it was supposed to look this season to get what he wanted versus what he really needed to do to get what he wants. And that's another one hundred million dollars to add to his war chest of cash, to his career earnings. And how unthinkable this might have been just eight weeks ago.
Speaker 3: Is that what an NBA player's bank account is called a war chest?
Speaker 4: It is a war chest in the billions with a bee. Instead of trying to dominate the ball.
Speaker 3: I started making so much money, I just started buying different tactical.
Speaker 4: Weapons exactly right, like blood spinning equipment, a hyperbar chamber, something to fix my sciatica or some form of it. He has stopped trying to dominate the ball. He has stopped demanding he be the alpha, and he has now stepped back and for all intents and purposes, said yes, this is Luca's team. I will play in a way that will support him in every manner possible. Luca is legitimately one of the three best players in the league, I Lebron, James, and probably somewhere between fifteen to twenty. I've got to accept that Luca needs to dominate the ball, to dominate possessions, to try to take over late when the game is close, something he was doing early in the season, making things incredibly awkward and wonky. Instead of just recognizing your standing next to one of the best closers, if not the best closer in the game in Doncic, just hand them the ball, get the f out of the way, and scream and yell like a fan when he does what he's capable of doing. And that's essentially what we've watched on this eight game stretch. Now. I don't know how Lebron got to this point. I don't know what reconciliation he had internally, if there was self reflection, if there was, as you pointed out, the public perception, the public opinions getting louder and louder.
Speaker 3: I think when he lost Windhorse, he knew that he had to flip his approach.
Speaker 4: Oh nonhuse out the stark realization that if he didn't fix his ass in a hurry, and if he wants to continue playing in the NBA, he was going to have to do it somewhere else. That this idea that Jeanie Buss and the way she used to do business of we want to keep our stars. We want this to be a place where stars know how much they're appreciated. That that was over and it was not going to happen this offseason. If he can continued to play basketball and force Luca and Austin Reeves to play basketball around him the way they were, it is no coincidence. And he's able to push this now because I do not think it's a coincidence that Lucas in the best shape of his life, that he hired a trainer, a nutritionist, that he stopped eating fast food all day every day, which was the word in Dallas, that he embraced a more Lebron like approach to his fitness, and that would be something Lebron Camp is going to push on Mark Walter. Look, you need to take care of your superstar. You know what he was like in Dallas. You know what his fitness was like in the postseason and how we'd get gassed and have to come out of games. Look at the effect that I'm having on him. I want one hundred million dollars over two years, because we've seen it in back to back games against Houston and Miami, even going back to the overtime win against the Nuggets. All the Lakers have to do is stay close, which is ultimately what the NBA playoffs are all about. If you can keep it within a few possessions in the final five minutes of a game, there are ups and down, there's runs by each team. It ebbs, it flows in. Whichever squad has the best closer, and the best clutch player typically wins. And if he is now out of the way and you can have your possessions and you can maximize them in the playoffs, you win. If you can't, you lose. They got twelve games left, two are against Oklahoma City in a five day span. I never thought i'd say it, but after last night and how easy sixty points looked for Luca and how they dug out a two fifteen point deficit holes because of him, I don't think anything's off the table for this team. If that's how he's going to keep playing. This is what we thought they were trading for last year when we said the entire Staples Center is going to be seventy seven jerseys. People are going to forget about Lebron and all they're going to care about is what does Luca look like in the final five minutes. And that's what I'm buying the ticket to see. And he just stayed in the way too long. He was too much of a bitch to let it come to fruition. And that's why they got bounced in the first round last year because he was still crying about Anthony Davis and crying about how good the defense was and how they blew It was something that was finally coming together. And now he has got out of the way. He is not doing what he did for the first two thirds of the season. This looks different. His usage rate is cut in half. He's playing off the ball, He's letting Luca go to work, he's letting Austin Reeves go to work, and he is just filling in cracks. And I'm sure he wants to win another championship, obviously, but to me, this is all self preservation. I want a hundred million bucks. I don't want it from the Cavaliers or however much it's going to be eighty million dollars seventy million bucks, whatever that number is that he would get on the open market from a legitimate championship content. I don't want it from I'm san Antonio or what her golden state. I want to continue to live in out.
Speaker 3: Kicher done at Canyon, and I'm still very close with the.
Speaker 4: Pets, very close. I want to do it here. And I think he quickly realized, ain't gonna happen with Mark Walter, not gonna happen with Andrew Friedman. If you continue to sabotage this team because of your arrogance and your inability to recognize that you are no longer the best player on your team, and you have to get the f out of the way and let that guy go to work. And now that it's working and he's a supporting role character in these viral videos, he's like, Oh, I'm gonna get my money. I'm gonna get my I'm gonna be able to stay. We're going to go on a run and I'm gonna get my one hundred million bucks and p you know what that means. It means the King's giving it to us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it means another year getting nailed.
Speaker 4: By He's gonna get nailed by another year.
Speaker 3: Just because you're saying it doesn't mean it's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: He is so he is playing so different games. I'm like you, mother Effort.
Speaker 3: We'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: You're gonna get that contract and you're gonna f us again.
Speaker 3: Certainly makes the ending of the season more interesting. But I don't think anybody wants that guy around, not in real life.
Speaker 1: No, we shall see.
Speaker 3: Coming up next, we'll talk to Tom Brady's best friend, the BFF of the flag Football World, Michael Rubin, who had to move that event from Saudi Arabia to La which is why you're hearing all the fanfare about it. He will join us next and tell us what's popping off a bemo tomorrow, and we have tickets to give away.
Speaker 1: This is Petro Send money.
Speaker 4: On to Mad Demand, Petro saying money and five seventy Ela Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app, your home of the Dodgers and again remember Opening Day coming up, Freeway Series coming up, our sweet tickets giveaway all coming up. Continue to listen here on your home of the back to back world champion the Dodgers. As spring training games can tinue to be played throughout the course of their Camelback schedule, followed by the Freeway Series, followed by the opener that will be at against the Diamondbacks. We are excited to be the home of the Dodgers pea, but we also love football.
Speaker 3: Yes, in flag football. The Fanatics Flag Football Classic has its inaugural star studded five on five tournament, hosted by our guest Fanatics CEO Michael Rubin, and it is all on Saturday at Bemo, Tom Brady, Saquon Barkley, all kinds of stars involved. This was originally going to be in Saudi Arabia, It's been moved to Los Angeles and the event is getting a lot of fanfare here in La so joining us right now. The CEO of Fanatics, a man making a lot of moves in the sports world, Michael Rubin on the Petro San Money Show. What's cracking, Michael, how are you?
Speaker 7: I'm excited, man, can't wait for this game this weekend. The smack that's being talked to me by each of the people playing this game is pretty intense. See what's gonna happen. It's gonna be a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Uh, just explain to us a little bit about how many teams there are playing, because there's five dudes on a team and you have a lot of there's a lot of superstar NFL types and then flag football types that are that are more accustomed to that brand of football. How do you get involved in this game if you're one of these guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So it's it's a round robin competition. There's three teams. The first team is led by Tom Brady and Jalen Hurts, second team is led by Joe Burrow and jayde and Daniels, and the third team is led by the USA Flag Football Team, which has actually won the last five straight championships.
Speaker 8: And it's gonna be super interesting.
Speaker 7: I just found out this morning from actually our sportsbooks telling us that they have the USA Flag Football Team is roughly six point favorites, which somenthy. I then called a couple of quarterbacks to tell them that they were under dogs, and they told me they were going to smoke these guys. So Tom Brady's forty eight years old, he told me, he said, there's nothing I love more than beating Heisman Trophy winners. I think that was a little bit of a shot toured on Joe Burrow and Jaden Daniels, and he told me there's nothing that's going to enjoy more than beating these flag football guys.
Speaker 8: So it's gonna be fun.
Speaker 7: It's one pm at Beibo here in La on Fox as well, and you're going to see some serious flay football play.
Speaker 8: Football is one of the fastest.
Speaker 7: Growing sports in the world. Obviously going to be here for the Olympics in twenty twenty eight. They're going to be played at BMO, which is exactly what we're playing. And you got, as you said, some of the best stars in the world in addition to the four incredible NFL quarterbacks actually three nine. Got to remember Tom Brady. He's not an NFL quarterback anymore, but he's still an NFL quality quarterback. Matter of fact, he tells me every day that he could beat just about any of the NFL quarterbacks.
Speaker 8: So it's going to be interesting, Michael.
Speaker 4: And by the way, tickets are at ticketmaster dot com. Still some available and get in for as little as thirty five bucks. And then why wouldn't you want to be somewhere where you mentioned You get Tom Brady and Joe Burrow, Jayden Daniels, Did you have to sell these guys and if you did, how hard was the cell? You mentioned they're talking smacks so their competitors. Was it an easy sell to get them all involved because it is an impressive list of guys that are going to be playing.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Look, I think anytime you start something new, it's hard the first year, and then it's really easy thereafter. Now, this was Tom Brady's idea, was his vision to do this, you know, kind of create this flag football competition. He called me one day last year said, look, I got an idea. I want to build the greatest flag football game ever. Let's make it the Fanatics Flag Football Classic.
Speaker 8: As you said, we.
Speaker 7: Were originally going to do it in Saudi Arabia. Obviously, with what's happening in the midd least right now, that just did make the time you work, you know, the NFL Stars is you know, have a very limited amount of offseasons, so this one we could really you know, do the games. And we moved it to Los Angeles. We thought that was great, knowing that the Olympics were here in twenty eight this is going to be a game in the Olympics at the same venue at Bimo Park, and I'd say, what we call all.
Speaker 8: These these guys.
Speaker 7: I think everybody's original reaction is yeah, I want to do it for sure, and then people just work through things and you know, look, it's a big commitment. No one wants to be embarrassed. Everybody wants to win. But I'll tell you, we got twenty four guys who want to kill each other and want to win this game. This is not some friendly playing football game. This is a you're going to have, you know, two teams primarily benetball Stars and another team of the USA play Football Champions. They're going to be out there playing for their lives.
Speaker 4: So kind of walk us through how you mentioned Tom Brady called you. But you know, we kind of look at our one sheet for you as we prepare for this interview, and we fanatics basically sells every you know, sort of supportive gear for fans for every freaking league in the world. It feels like you got tops. I don't think trading cards have ever been bigger than right now. Kind of take us through what you do and how you get involved in these things and if this's gonna be something you're doing more of live events and live sporting events.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so for me, I have the greatest job of the world.
Speaker 7: To build fanatics is something that you know, I really got going with the twenty eleven I'm kind of fifteen sixteen years into it. You know, I wake up every morning with a you know, burning passion to you know, want to build the greatest company in the world, to build one of the most important sports brands and you know, certainly one of the most important consumer brands. And you know, I feel like we're just getting started. We certainly do work with a lot of the best sports properties, teams, players to say, but we feel like we're just getting going. We did get in the collectible's business about four and a half years ago. I'll tell you, I think the growth and the collectibles business people thought when we got started that really collectible as were to all time high. And what we recognized is there really been no product innovation. There did no marketing. So for us, it's been I think relatively easy to start to build this business a meaningful way. There's been so many product innovations, We've had so much you know, kind of interest in marketing and then really getting athletes about and they're also been betting in the gaming business with the Finax Sports book at Finax Casino. So we're twenty two thousand people today, about thirteen billion dollar company, But we feel like a big startup. We feel like we're just getting going every day. We're fighting for our lives and you know, we got one job relentlessly enhanced the fan experience. We just talked about live events. We like doing things like this because it's you just do great things for sports fans. That's why we created a Fanatics Best that's the biggest sports festal in the world. We started two years ago. You have the biggest stars that all come out that last year we had, you know, from Tom Brady, Lebron James to Kevin Durant to you know, I think we had the Jake Paul Mike Tyson press conference there. Maybe that was two years ago. You've got people like Jay Z, Travis Scott, Kevin Hart. You know, you've got you know, best athletes in the world. Certainly Kevin Hart would not qualified from the best athletes so well, but yeah, he's definitely.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I didn't mean to put him an athlete.
Speaker 7: Yeah, every once in a while we try to give some credit you shouldn't got credit, but no, Look, we like doing these events because it's how he brings sports fans together and Fanatics Best is probably the best example that we have two hundred thousand people over four days to come together this summer Fanatics Best.
Speaker 8: But the fanatics like football. Cassic is just another example.
Speaker 7: That like who won't want to watch Tom Braden Jalen Hurt's work together? Who won eight Super Bowls to go out and try to, you know, take on jayde and Daniels and Joe burb you know, and then the USA play football team. So we like things like this. It's a lot of fun.
Speaker 8: This is the first year. This will be a tradition every year that will do this.
Speaker 7: In the spring, and certainly there's so much more momentum around playing football.
Speaker 3: Michael Rubin, the founder and CEO of Fanatics taking over the world of sports joining us now and the big event at BEMO Ticketmasters still available The Flag Football the Fanatics Classic. Michael, how high on your list of concerns for you as we head towards Saturday is flag guarding and how and also like a guy that like puts his flag on and then tucks it into his underwear, So it's really stuck in there and you can't yank it out that easily. How high on your list of concerns are these things?
Speaker 1: You know, here's the good news.
Speaker 7: There's three or four hundred people that putt on the game to know a lot more about how to do it than I do. What I can do is help Tom when he had this big idea, help you bring the people together, help him put on this competition when it comes to flagguard. I can't speak to this specific, but I can tell you there's nothing being missed. And we've been really lucky. The NFL has been super involved in this, helping us in every way, shape.
Speaker 8: Or form, you know, working together with them.
Speaker 7: You know, certainly play football is a big initiative of the NFL's I don't think we could be here without the help and support of the NFL.
Speaker 8: So you know this is going to be, you know, a game with.
Speaker 3: The highest level.
Speaker 7: And you talk about the caliber of people playing in the game. You talk about, you know, the co commissioners that we have, Drew Breese, Aire Gerald, and you just talk about by the way, Roger Bedell's coming out for this, many the owners are coming out for this. I mean, this is a serious competition and it's going to be treated in the most serious of ways.
Speaker 3: I mean, just because you're a big NFL star or an ex Hall of Famer doesn't mean you can't put an extra clamp on that flag. You know, it's an issue at every level.
Speaker 4: Now you wrap that thing around the.
Speaker 7: Beltw Well, also are going to have to make sure the securities step in their eyes on you guys. I'm assuming you guys are coming out. Got to make sure security is carefully watching you guys.
Speaker 4: Well, we come out, the people come out. You can get your tickets. We're gonna give away a package by the way here at the end of this conversation, but check ticketmaster right now. It's this Saturday out there, bemo. One o'clock start Saturday, March twenty first, and it is happening right here in our backyard. If I may, Michael, shift just briefly to the giant business you have that is fanatics. Have you ever made a phone call or have you ever had a conversation when you've seen a uniform adjustment or you know, memorabilia or a gear adjustment that you're just like, come on, man, this ain't gonna work. We got to talk through this and let's kind of maybe redirect a little bit so we can move some units here. Has that ever happened?
Speaker 8: Of course.
Speaker 7: Look, we're in a business where we we have you know, we have tens of millions of the best sports fans in the world to buy from us every year. They have really incredible expectations they want. You know, the great thing about sports fans is they're so passion. There's nothing that brings people to get other more than the sports unifies people, brings people together, and they've got really high expectations. And I'll tell you what, sports fans make you the best company you can possibly be. So if I told you that everything went perfectly, that would be like not a normal day fanatics. There's always, you know, things that you want to work to be better at. There's always things that look, you know, we're a decent sized company. We keep growing. You know, certainly it's a very visible business. So there's always things that we work to do better. There's always things who work to push our partners who've been better at the sports properties we work with, and they push us in sports fans push us.
Speaker 8: To be the best company.
Speaker 7: We can so if I told you no, I think you have to, you know, check out my mental well being to see if I was giving you good accurate answers.
Speaker 3: Bemo Stadium Saturday. It's happening with the Flag Football Classic, the Fanatics Flag Football Classic, Tom Brady and many others, Joe Burrow and the like going at it and they're angry at each other. You heard Michael say it. Michael, congrats on all your success and good luck with this event and all the stuff in the future. Thanks a lot for coming on.
Speaker 8: I appreciate.
Speaker 7: But before I let you guys go, you got some of who do you think is gonna win? Which are the three teams? You guys got to go on record right now?
Speaker 3: This is no like maybe the Flag foot I'd say probably the flag football guys, because they're just gonna go out, you know, they're going to flag football it up and they know the angles that the NFL types do not.
Speaker 4: I got some faith in Gronk, right, could Gronk just like destroy everybody out there? He looks like he's still in pretty good shape. Whose team is he on?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 7: The draft is tonight, by the way, seven thirty PSD. You can watch it live at NFL's YouTube channel, Fax YouTube channel. My guess is Brady's going to very quickly be picking Gronk.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 7: I did just through an interview where someone said, if they were Jaden and Joe Burrow, the first thing they do is pick Gronk just to mess with with on Tom's head.
Speaker 4: It's a bold strategy. I like it, Michael, we appreciate it. We're gonna give away a heck of a package for this. By the way, at some point throughout the course of the show, talking about on field access, Meet and Greet's official game merch live hardbreaks from card Vault by Tom Brady, all of that to a grand prize winner. So continue to listen for your opportunity to win that. And again, if you want to head out, why wouldn't you. It is this Saturday in our backyard Bemo Stadium. Ticketmaster dot com has got all of your tickets for the one pm start. Good luck, Michael, thank you for joining us. We appreciate it, Thanks for having us.
Speaker 3: It's a big event and we're giving away a VIP package right now. Caller number five at eight six six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is going to Bemo to watch Tom Brady, Jalen Hurt, sakwan I Show, speed Logan, Paul Joe Burrow. Get on out to Bemo and rub elbows with the best and see the best that flag football has to offer, courtesy of the Fanatics Flag Football Classic eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy caller number five and we'll be back with Marpetrosen Money. We'll do the Dead and a live guy Birthday of the Day coming up.
Speaker 2: Now Southern California's most listened to sports talk show.
Speaker 1: This is petros Money on Demand.
Speaker 3: Petro Send Money on a frog Man Friday. It's Aloha Friday over at KFI on the Monks and Merril Show. Get Petrosen Money on demand with the Petroson Money Podcast. You can listen live or do whatever. Tonight, we are heading to back to back world champion Dodger Baseball, the final spring training game from Arizona's on his own right here on MFI seventy LA Sports Dodger versus San Diego Dodgers on deck with Dave at five point thirty live from Campbell Back Ranch and first pitch around six oh five. And that is the week on the Petro sand Money Show. We will do one more segment, the fun fact and the quickets, and then we'll get you to Dave.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know how hot it is outside. It's even hotter in the desert.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 4: It is just.
Speaker 6: I'm surprised by day what it's so hot that tomorrow's final game TV only is at eleven am, not one o'clock.
Speaker 3: They moved it up because of the heat, and arezont it blew me away? Because you're like, if you think it's hot here, I didn't wait until you get out to the desert.
Speaker 4: It gets hotter in Arizona than it is in southern California. Like when we're dealing with ninety degrees, what are they dealing with? What are we talking about here?
Speaker 3: Guys?
Speaker 6: Apparently it gets hotter over there, so add ten degrees or whatever it is here, So let's.
Speaker 3: Add ten degrees from my house to Burbank. Copy that. Uh, yeah, it is hot out there, so whatever. Uh. It's for your dead and the Life guy, Birthday of the Day, beating out the great Roman poet Ovid and the Great Jerry Reid. The claw we do Jerry Reid all every year. This year we'll talk about down Edwards to keep the j read Curly Burnett theme. This week he would have been eighty seven today. Don Edwards from Bouton, New Jersey, but left New Jersey a restless bronc buck at sixteen with a pink carnation and a pickup truck, and he went to Texas to work on the Texas oil fields and experience life in the West. And he did become that. He became a great Western bard in Troubadour. In a similar move to Travis Kelcey, Dawn worked at six Flags back then it was the original six Flags over Texas, Oh Yeah, And he worked there as a singer, an actor and stuntman for five years. Sheryl Crow, Ladies and gentlemen, Man cow They're going to freak out my man. And then he left for Nashville like Bobby Bones, to seek fortune and fame, and he found it immediately in Nancy Griffin's Nancy Griffiths Grammy Award winning album. Edwards released more than a dozen solo albums and the greatest hits for about thirty years. Man albums like My Hero, Gene Autry, and High Lonesome Cowboy with Peter Rowan, which was Grammy nominated. He is in the Western Music Association Hall of Fame, which might just be only on the Internet. He played the character Smoky in Robert Redford's The Horse Whisperer, not to be confused with The House Whisper, which is a weekend show on KFI. Very friendly with Don Martin and Robin Bertolucci say all her names. What they're not friends with the House Whisper. I thought they went to Italy together. The Dean Dean Sharp.
Speaker 4: Yeah, good head of hair on Dean.
Speaker 3: James Earl Jones called him the singing scholar of the Old West. They were good friends. Married to his wife Kathy for forty five years. Don Edwards lived on his ranch in Hicco, Texas, where he died in twenty twenty two. Don Edwards also a proligent, prodigious yodler.
Speaker 9: Now the longhorns are gone, and the drovers are gone, the comanches are gone, and the outlaws are gone.
Speaker 3: Now now it's just one big water Burgers.
Speaker 9: Gone, Stana what is gone? And the lion is gone, and the red Wolf is gone.
Speaker 4: It snow, lady a, but it's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Oh, lady A. My favorite is Confederate Road with their song White Black Label and White Lies.
Speaker 4: All right, man, you're alive.
Speaker 3: Guy Scottish News. Hi, Yo, wean ball by.
Speaker 6: Hi, it's Goltish news news.
Speaker 3: It is Scoltish. What's your wished? Hi? Do you have an understand the word I'm saying? Got yoursel II?
Speaker 6: You own with the Scoltish News.
Speaker 4: Well, I've told this story before, but allow me to reminisce. It is one of the few pleasant memories in a sea and a career of disappointment. A few shows that I had been to in all my years in the music business that stop you dead in your tracks and you know you're watching something special that will take off that in order for it not to be successful, something will have to go horribly wrong, and you'll remember back to that moment when you and everyone else in the room was there because of the buzz, because they were told this is going to be the next big thing, and it usually disappoints, but in this particular case, in March of two thousand and four, south by Southwest Buffalo, Billiards pool hauled downstairs Rock Venue upstairs, same place I saw my Morning Jack under the same circumstances, not knowing much about them, Franz Ferdinand had just put out a single in the UK a month before, was about to be released in the US two months later, and Today's a Live Guy. Alex Kapranos, frontman of Franz Ferdinand, was a g damn superstar. He delivered. He held the crowd of jaded music industry folks in the palm of his hand and took everyone on a journey over forty five minutes that left everyone saying, all right, that one finally delivered. They closed with the song Missfire. Figured that was going to be the big hit. Of course it was take me out whole place, jumping singing by the end of it, and I ended up getting back to the radio station on Monday, put the song into heavy rotation immediately, and that album, as you hear Dark of the Matinee in the background, delivered four or five singles, three million copies sold. A Pranos p a Greek like you.
Speaker 3: If he was a Greek like me, I'd have been raised in Scotland.
Speaker 4: His father was a Greek and he was raised in Glasgow. Earned his theology degree from the University of Strathclyde, but did not do much with it obviously, as he was working odd jobs bartender, chef, waiter, delivery driver while simultaneously being a fixture in the Glasgow music scene. He got together with the guys that would ultimately become Franz Ferdinand. Went through a number of different iterations yummy fur embryo, all driven by our live guy Alex Caapranos. Today. He recruited his friend Bob Hardy to play bass after Mick Cook of Bell and Sebastian suggested Alex do the same, but He's like, noah, man, I'm gonna get my man Bob to be bass player. He had then convinced guitarist Nick McCarthy, who had returned to Scotland after doing jazz in Germany, to join and they settled on the name Franz Ferdinand. Why sure, you have an idea, but no, it was a horse of the same name. They were watching together win the North Humberland plate in two thousand and one, and so they decided to name their band not after the Archduke, but a horse that was named after the Archduke. They recorded some demos they signed to independent Domino Records. Tore Johansen of The Cardigans produced the record, their debut single Darts of Pleasure got some play. Take Me Out Quick hit huge in the UK. They did not have a US distributor, which is why it was sort of unknown, but the Southwest Southwest Show launched them heavy rotation everywhere. MTV sold over a million copies. Number one at Alternative Rock Nmy named it the Album of the Year. They played at the Grammys, nominated for the Best Rock Performance. Lost Up did well two million copies. Do You Want To was a sort of hit and then just kind of faded away.
Speaker 3: They went away.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're still going though, five albums later. Our man Alex Today's a live guy, has expanded his celebrity over there in Scotland and the UK. He is a presenter, he is a voiceover actor, He is a narrator. He is a filmmaker. He dated Eleanor Friedberger from The Fiery Furnaces for a while, but they broke up and he married a French musician, Clara Luciani. They have two kids and he's fifty fourth today. I guess we could have gone with British news, we could have gone with Greek news.
Speaker 3: No, he's a Scottish Schoolish. He's a Scotsman. Yeah, We'll be back with your quick hits and the fun fact, and then we will say goodbye for the weekend. You'll have Dodger Baseball to enjoy those, so don't worry about that. Five point thirty. David Vasse will be here for Marango. Well no, no, no, not yet, just the pregame show Marago Casino, Dodgers on Deck, start Win Kates Sunday Night, and then we strap in for the season opening days. Stuff, strap in Petrus and money back in a moment