Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. Well, you never know who you'll see at Dodger Stadium, and I am so happy I found this guy because he was one of the greatest pictures of his generation. And certainly when you think about great Dodger pitchers, you have to think about the one and only Ramon Martinez. And let me just give you his resume. Ramo Martinez tied Sandy Kofax's eighteen strikeout game in nineteen ninety. He threw a no hitter in the mid nineties. He was the man not Pedro Ramon for the Dodgers. And Ramo Martinez is back at Dodger Stadium. Thank you so much for the time appreciated.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much to me.
Speaker 3: It's a great owner to be to be Au Wabin at Dodgers and I mean, I'm very happy to be here after a while. And it's unbelievable good. It's very nice, a very special place.
Speaker 1: When you first stepped into Dodgers Stadium, what memory do you have the most.
Speaker 3: Well, my memory walking in, I remember my first my first game when I pitched over here, my debut, and that was I'll go thirteen against the Giant, which it was amazing. I mean, like God gave me, like did the good taste of being the manual League.
Speaker 2: So that was unbelievable.
Speaker 4: You pitched really well that game?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I pitched. Yeah, I pitched it, especially that I remember the we on Penna race. We were I had on the Western Division. We were head of the Giant, So it was good, especially with that rivalry that we the Dodger and.
Speaker 2: The Giant hat always has.
Speaker 1: If you were growing up in the nineties, Ramon Martinez was one of your favorite pitchers, if not your favorite pitcher. Eighteen strikeouts in nineteen ninety. You don't think I know the team I do the Atlanta Braves. You struck out eighteen Atlanta Braves, tying sand the Cofax's record.
Speaker 4: What do you remember about that night?
Speaker 3: But I think again, like that, to me, I remember every every moment everything, because I I remember the first when I first when I go through the first fifteen batter I got around twelve would strike out and it was like I would just tracking guys out. But I wasn't thinking about like, well it's on the record. Only when when I tied the record, that when I hear that everybody you know a whole fan, they would, they would, they would, you know, they were like wow. And then I checked the scoreboard and not see that I just tied a record. So it was it was unbelieable. Uh be one of those guys that, especially like Sandy my very I mean, like one of my mentor one of the guy that I did. I look up to, the guy that I talk a lot so give me good advice.
Speaker 2: So it was it was honor to me.
Speaker 1: The one thing I always hear Dominican players say, Romo Martinez, you talk about Sandy Kofax being your mentor.
Speaker 4: So many Dominicans say you were their mentor. What made you care about other players as much as maybe your own career?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know, like especially when we come from I think some of the younger kids like you can give a good advice. So I learned that learn I learned from uh Drydale, I learned from uh Newcombe, Johnny Pade talk to me, my change, yep. I mean all those guys we had in Audio town, and uh it was easy to you know, get to them, talk to them. So you know, when you grew up with that and then you become a magi oliga so you can give you can get back to the youngest.
Speaker 4: How about Oral Hersheiser. You're here with Oral.
Speaker 1: He's brought you back for his car dealership for legends addic how much did Oral Herscheizer help you?
Speaker 3: Of course I'm breaking in my I remember my first game when I pitched. Also, like I spent time with orl Uh and my you know and and uh. When I became a party man roster, that's when I got more time to spend time with him, and I would I would just take in every little detail whatever, you know, watch him watching pitch how I do?
Speaker 2: How smart it is?
Speaker 3: I mean, it was like unbelieble, so must of to pitch that way the way I did it was it was it was because of him, because he was the guy who who could learn how to change speed on the game. I can move in the ball, I mean I have. I mean he was the guy who told me a lot of them about pitching.
Speaker 1: Ramo Martinez always paying it forward. All right, I got two more questions for you. I know, no mar is over there, your brother's old teammate, But we care about Romot Martinez in La as far as your no hitter.
Speaker 4: What do you have from that game?
Speaker 2: Still?
Speaker 4: Was it nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: Five, nineteen ninety five, Yes, yeah, it was. It was a great game. It was a very excited game. I remember that I was perfect for us. I think it was just seven and seven and two thirty. I think it was going to perfect. But you know, you know, there's a lot of butterfly when you pass. When you passed the fifteen, and you kind of take everything count, you tag what I'm getting closed. And then when I remember the eighth when I walked, uh.
Speaker 2: When I walked the guy, the only walk that I have.
Speaker 3: It, I kind of released a little bit and then come back and you know, come back and finish it up.
Speaker 2: So it was Unbolia expirs.
Speaker 4: We're right in front of the Dodger Dugout.
Speaker 1: I was lucky enough to have seats on the field level, right behind third base in the field level. Nineteen ninety one, the game right before the All Star break.
Speaker 4: You know where I'm going with this.
Speaker 1: Roma Martinez was on his way to the cy Young but the San Diego Padres third baseman Jack Howe hit a line drive off your pitching shoulder. How much do you remember about that and how much did that change the team?
Speaker 4: Yeah, remember, I'll be surprised. I know that Ramone.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm kind of surprising because that was that was that was breaking. That was my last start that I gonna. I was I was supposed to open the I supposed to open Toronto, the outside game in Toronto. Yeah, and because that land drive, I can pay. So I just made appearance. But he affected the team because we won't we won't contend that we we will you know that were nine games up. Yeah, yeah, so it was like, you know, it was hard for me because he heard me, and uh, I was trying to do my best at that time, but it was it was kind of angeriously bothered me a lot.
Speaker 1: Hey, in the eighties it was oral Herscheizer and Fernando Venezuela.
Speaker 4: In the nineties it was Ramone Martinez.
Speaker 1: It's so great to have you back here, and as long as I'm here, nobody will forget the contributions you made to this organization.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. It's to me. It's a it's a great honor. I'm a I'm a dodgy friend. Oh the way I will be.
Speaker 3: I followed them and uh, I mean it's greater to me the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: They make the difference.
Speaker 3: And even when looking back, I think we were ahead of the time at that point because so everything what we did, it was everything discipline, the teacher, disciplined, the teacher, how to play the game. I mean, it was unbelievble experience that I have in my career as a Dodger.
Speaker 4: Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 1: I think you still are wearing the same sunglasses used to wearing the dugout.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, it's uh yeah yeah, just uh hey.
Speaker 1: Ramo Martinez a big fan. Thank you for the time, and like I said, great to have you back in LA.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much.