Speaker 1: And now, an exclusive interview with David Basset for Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Reyes on two and one.
Speaker 1: Taylor.
Speaker 2: Fly ball to left. And deep. And done!
Speaker 1: Chris Taylor, a walk-off home run. The Dodgers are walking off to San Francisco. They win the wild card, 3-1. Here comes Taylor to the plate. They are mobbing him. The crowd is going crazy. The Dodgers advance to the National League Division Series with one mighty swing.
Speaker 2: By Chris Taylor. That's how it sounded on that October night at Dodger Stadium. Chris Taylor with one of his great playoff moments in a Dodger uniform. That was against the Cardinals in the 21 wildcard game. And Chris Taylor is going to be celebrated tonight at Dodger Stadium, rightfully so. And we'll be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch. And Chris Taylor joins us now. Chris, thanks a lot for the time and congratulations on a great career.
Speaker 3: Thanks, Bessie. I appreciate that, and I'm excited to get back to Dodger Stadium tonight and watch a game. It would be a new perspective for me, but I'm excited to go with my family and just soak it all in.
Speaker 2: I know the last couple of years when we did interviews, I held back trying to celebrate your career because you still had a lot left, but Now that you are officially retired, I can just go all in and celebrate some of the great moments you had in your great career. Did you ever believe when you got traded from the Mariners to the Dodgers in 2016 and you showed up in Pittsburgh that your career would take this arc and you would be throwing out the first pitch and being celebrated by Dodger fans 10 years later?
Speaker 3: Oh man, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's, that's a tough question. Um, you know, I was just at that point in my career, I was just so focused on like getting to the major leagues and like earning a spot. Um, you know, it'd be hard to say. I thought that I would get, um, you know, over 10 years in the major leagues with the pretty much all with the Dodgers. Um, So, yeah, no, I don't know. I always had a lot of confidence in myself and always believed I would get there. But I don't know if I thought it would happen the way I did.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that first day in Pittsburgh, Chris?
Speaker 3: I do. Yeah, I do remember. I remember I was able to hit a triple in the left center gap. Which kind of took some took some of the pressure off, you know. But yeah, I remember joining the team in Pittsburgh and, you know, just being pretty, you know, welcomed by all the guys and actually like pleasantly surprised how. easy it was to fit in and, um, you know, kind of just be yourself. And, um, I remember feeling very, um, comfortable playing. And I think that's something that Dodgers do a great job of is like bringing guys in and like, you know, just like go out, do your thing. Don't put too much pressure on you. And, um, yeah, no, obviously, um, there's a reason they, um, you know, a lot of the young guys that get there have so much early success.
Speaker 2: When you're out there on the field before first pitch tonight, what do you think your emotions are going to be? Because like you said, you were always just about today. And that's what made you so good is that you were worried about today. You were where your feet were and you were in the middle of the grind of a, of a career trying to win championships. So when you see the montage of all the moments we've talked about over the years, How do you think you'll react?
Speaker 3: You know what? I'm going to do my best to just soak it all in and just try to enjoy a baseball game with my family. The plan right now is for my oldest son, Theo, to throw out the first pitch to me. So I think I might be a little nervous for him, and we'll see how he's– how he is emotionally at that time. And, uh, of course I'm not going to pressure him to do it if he, he's not comfortable, but, uh, I hope he's able to, to throw out the first pitch. And, um, I think that, uh, that would be really cool, um, experience to watch him, um, you know, half his moment, um, And then, yeah, I'm kind of just excited to watch a baseball game with with my family. I haven't been able to do that ever. So, yeah, I'm looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Have you been keeping up with the Dodgers this year at all?
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course. You know, we. we still live in Manhattan beach. Um, you know, so the Dodgers are, you know, the team here and, um, you know, I keep up with the guys. I still have a lot of my old teammates are still with the team and, um, and try to follow them. And, um, yeah, you know, I don't know if we stay up till the end of the game, you know, that's usually after bedtime for us, but, um, definitely, uh, checking the box scores and keeping up with them.
Speaker 2: Chris Taylor is our guest. He's going to be celebrated tonight at Dodger Stadium, throwing out the first pitch tonight with his family right by his side. Now, I've talked to you over the years about my favorite memories, the moments that stick out in your career. Fans obviously share their moments with you. Hey, I was there in 2021 or I was there when you did this. What in your mind stands out the most as far as some of the the moments that you had in your Dodger career that, you know, supersede others.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, individually, I think the, the, what you referenced earlier with the, the 21 wildcard walk-off, um, that was a big one for me, I think mainly because it came after such a long slump. Like I had struggled the entire second half of the season and ended up getting benched before, um, the playoffs and I was really like scuffling and somehow was able to, to find a barrel and hit that walk off Homer. And then that completely, um, you know, turned my whole whole season around and ended up having a great, great playoff. Um, so that, I mean, that was super rewarding for me. And then, um, you know, I think the, uh, The things I'm most proud of are the World Series, you know, 2020 and 24, being able to win two World Series with the guys. It's like there's no feeling that can top that. Winning the last game of the year is just the best feeling no matter how you get there. And that's probably what I'm most proud of.
Speaker 2: What do you remember the most about that 2020 season that that bubble run at Globe Life Field in Texas, not really having much of a social life, but being with your teammates 24-7. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, we were stuck in the hotel in Texas, you know, basically, I think it was for over a month. And, you know, it's, It's fun. You know, you're with all the guys and there's like that team bonding for sure. But then at the same time, there's like no escape. So you're it's just like the one nice thing about being home in L.A. is like you get to go home to your house. And for me at the beach and it's just kind of my safe place away from the baseball field where I can like take my mind off of it. and in the bubble and everything of course is heightened because it's the playoffs and there's so much pressure and, um, you know, there really was no escape. So it's like, it, it was a month, but it felt like two months. And, um, you know, I, I think it was a little mentally taxing. Um, but you know, obviously it ended with us winning the, our first World Series. So there was like a lot of peaks and valleys during that postseason. Of course, all worth it to finally come out on top.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like winning that World Series with those group of players that you went to the World Series with in 17 and 18 kind of was a closure for all you guys, redemption as far as achieving it, even in that type of situation and setting?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I've said this before. I think the predominant feeling after we won that was relief. It was, you know, because we felt like we should have won in 17 and we got back there in 18, weren't able to win. And then, you know, 19, we had a great team and we're upset by the the nationals who ended up winning so um you know i think 2020 was just like oh we finally did it like we can breathe you know the the monkeys off our back and um that yeah that was the main feeling even more so than the excitement of winning world series it's just like relief of like of uh you know getting over the hump.
Speaker 2: Yeah i understand that chris taylor is our guest and another part of your career and those teams chris is the bond that you guys had and still have to this day uh when i think of chris taylor it's hard not to think of cody bellinger or Corey Seager, or Alex Wood, or Justin Turner. How much does that make all of this more special that you form that bond with not just one guy, but 10, 15 guys?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's really nothing like the relationship you'll have with your teammates in the clubhouse. And, you know, that group you just mentioned, we played together for multiple years and we went through. Everything I just talked about of like not being able to win for a long time and then finally winning. And I, you know, when you go, go through that and like, it's baseball seasons are long and it's every day. And, um, you know, when you go through the experiences you have on a team with those guys, you form a special bond and, um, I think that's something we'll carry with us for the rest of our lives.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, I got to ask you this now, 2018 game seven NLCS in Milwaukee. How the heck did you make that catch that catch saved the NLCS for the Dodgers? How did you make that catch?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. Um, You know, I've always said, I don't think it was like my greatest catch. I think it was obviously a big moment. I still think I didn't take the best route. I kind of undercut it and had the banana back. And then luckily I kind of snow coned it in my glove. Um, but definitely like as far as a moment, um, that was the biggest defensive moment I've had. Um, but yeah, uh, It was a cool experience, though, being in Milwaukee, making that catch in Game 7, having my family there to witness it, and then, of course, winning and clenching going to the World Series. It made it all that much better.
Speaker 2: To this day, Chris, whenever I go back to Milwaukee, I always look out there to left field and I think about that catch because that is one of the moments of being on this ride with you guys that I'll never forget. That was... Certainly one of the playoff highlights that I've ever seen. So it's awesome. You're coming back. Are you signing an official one-day contract to retire as a Dodger tonight, Chris?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I did want to. There's nothing else you think of when you look out in left field in Milwaukee?
Speaker 2: No, no, I don't see anything else. I just see you making that catch. What do you see when you look out in left field?
Speaker 3: The big slide out there. You didn't have any bad experiences with that slide.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, the slide. Yeah, that's it. Yes, that's right. It's all coming back to me now. I don't remember you helping me to the hospital that day.
Speaker 3: I think I, of course, wasn't there to see it, but I saw it on Instagram or on TV like everybody else, but.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, thank you for remembering that. I'll remember you and you can remember me in Milwaukee.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't let you forget that.
Speaker 2: Well, I got to say this. It's so great you're coming back. You are always going to be part of the Dodger family. And I'm so grateful to you for treating me like family and treating my kids like family. And it's been a real pleasure. watching your career. And I can't believe I'm outlasting you. I can't believe I'm still doing this and you're retired. So I'll have to digest that tonight as well.
Speaker 3: Thanks. I mean, your friendship means a lot to me and it was always a pleasure working with you.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I'll see you on the beach this summer.
Speaker 3: All right. That sounds good.