Speaker 1: And now, an exclusive interview with David Basset for Dodger Talk. It's the managers meeting in Atlanta. Dave Roberts, three-time World Series winning manager, joins us every week.
Speaker 2: Thanks again for having us in your office, Dave. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: It's good to be back, Dave. Catching up with you and, you know, got in yesterday night. The players flew in on Sunday and They had their fantasy draft yesterday, so there's a little bit of fantasy chatter going on, but yeah, we've got a fun, good series. It's always fun playing the Braves.
Speaker 1: It was cool to have Shohei Otani join us on our plane yesterday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was. He opted to stick with his family an extra night, get a good night's rest on Sunday, then fly with us, and so that's the great thing about the two planes, because you do have that option, and most players certainly take the option to fly with the team, but in this case, newborn baby and Extra night at home.
Speaker 1: We'll get to him in a little bit. But like you mentioned, three-game series against the Braves. You guys are in a good spot, four games ahead of them in the loss column for that number two seed. How significant is this series to maybe solidify your spot in the top two of the National League postseason?
Speaker 3: It's significant on a couple fronts. Obviously that, which you had mentioned, and regardless of how this series goes, there's still a lot of baseball left. But the other part is that they're a postseason team. There's a chance that we could see them. So kind of gathering information. And they're still the same cast of characters with those guys, with our team. So we're very familiar. But as we get through August and into September, just kind of, again, seeing how we stack up against those guys.
Speaker 1: You do have a six-game winning streak. It seems like the wheels are back on the track for your offense. Do you feel that way?
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: How interested are you to see how it plays against the Braves?
Speaker 3: I am interested to see how it plays against the Braves. I think that if we continue the same mindset, relentless at-bats, it doesn't really matter who we play. So I think that, yeah, we're in a good spot. I think team at-bats, grinding the starter. I think that coming off and off, I think guys are energetic, just kind of walking through the clubhouse. you know, obviously you get excited to play the Braves, but we're in a good spot offensively.
Speaker 1: You have Alex Call starting in left field tonight against Bryce Elder. What do you like about that matchup? And does Tao play the next two games?
Speaker 3: Tao will play the next five games before the off day. I think that this is one I just wanted to give Tao the off day, an extra day, and use today as a work day. And then Alex, I think he's just a guy that's going to put together good at-bats and You know, Elder's kind of a neutral pitcher, so it's like staying on the cutter, work some at-bats, work some pitches. And, you know, I just think that for me it also gives me another opportunity to give Alex a start.
Speaker 2: Dave Roberts is our guest.
Speaker 1: It's the manager's meeting presented by Downey Hyundai. We haven't talked to you since the unfortunate news of Andy Pahez requiring surgery on his left hand.
Speaker 2: What do you see with him towards the end of the season?
Speaker 1: Because obviously he can come back in a month, but we saw with Will Smith last year, it takes time to get that strength in the hand.
Speaker 3: It does take time to get strength on. Andy is determined to get back as soon as possible, but, um, Bones still take their due time to heal, but I do know that it's not season-ending, and we're going to get him back as soon as we can. And he's really motivated to keep his body in shape, his legs, his obliques, and kind of that left hand, whatever, the right hand kind of working that top hand with the swing. But he'll be back soon enough, but it does take a little bit of time to get that strength back.
Speaker 1: How are you looking at center field until he comes back? Alec Thomas back in there again. How does Tommy Edmond and Kike Hernandez and Alex Call fit in that position until Pahez returns?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what? That's funny is before we got to this interview, I was thinking about Thursday and sales Thursday. So just trying to figure out, you know, if I'm going to give Max a day off, give Tucker a day off to then get I do know that Tommy will be in there, I do know that Miggy Rowe will be in there, and I do know Kiki will be in there. So then it's kind of, how do you rearrange those puzzle pieces?
Speaker 1: How do you view center field itself until Pahez comes back?
Speaker 3: I think Alec Thomas will take down center field with the right-hander on the mound, and then with the lefty sale, for example, I've got to decide if I want to run Kiki out there and keep Tommy at second base and keep him comfortable there, or kick Tommy out there, uh, put Kiki at third and kind of then put Miggy Rowe at second. So there's a little ways, a couple of ways I can do it, but I just haven't settled on that yet.
Speaker 1: That's half of the equation, finding a guy that can play defense and center field, but the offensive production by Andy Pahez at the top of your lineup, that's a, is that even harder to replace?
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: And I think that obviously love having Alec Thomas here. And I think the defense, uh, If you could argue, it's even gotten better with him over Andy, which nothing against Andy. But the bat is something we're certainly going to miss, and that's irreplaceable given who we have behind Andy. But, yeah, it's just an opportunity. It's going to be more opportunities for Kike, more opportunities, obviously, for Alec Thomas, most importantly. And then we've just got to kind of hold it down until we.
Speaker 2: Get him back.
Speaker 1: Will Smith is starting rehab games tonight in Oklahoma City. Obviously, he means a lot to your offense and what he does behind the plate. What do you envision as far as when the team returns home next week for Will Smith?
Speaker 3: So I was talking to Brandon McDaniel, actually, who does kind of a lot of different things in our organization. And BMAC said that he's going to catch five innings today. And the outlook is he'll be active on September 1st. So with that, he'll probably be every other day. But getting him back September 1st would be fantastic.
Speaker 1: Do you foresee him being in the top four of your lineup? How much does that compensate for the loss of Pajas?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good question. I think just kind of looking at our lineup right now, when he comes back, depending on how he looks and feels, I think three, five, or six would probably be something I would kind of toy with.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: See, Dave Roberts is trying to win a game tonight, but he's always got his mind on the big picture as well. Sunday, Dave, I know you don't believe that I plan things out, but Sunday, you may need a starter. And you said last week that, hey, there's a chance that Shohei could pitch in a game, Lauer's in the bullpen.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I was just wondering.
Speaker 1: If you could share what your plans may be for Shohei's next step.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I do know that, you know, Lauer's going to pitch a run in that game, and there's a possibility that Shohei could open that game.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll take that.
Speaker 3: I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 2: One other thing before I let you go.
Speaker 1: When Freddie Freeman first joined the Dodgers, there obviously was a lot of fanfare of him returning to Atlanta.
Speaker 2: It doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know, what's interesting is that obviously you and I know Freddie as a brave, you know, from years ago, but you know, the baseball world, even outside of in the sports world, you know, you could argue he's a Dodger, you know, with, with winning two championships with us and, you know, being an all-star many times over for us. And, um, you know, it's interesting is, yeah, there was a lot to be made rightfully. So of him, you know, coming over here and his first time back here. But I think right now, you know, I certainly see him as a Dodger and know that he has history with the Braves. But, man, Dave, I'm just so happy to have that guy. And I've said it many times, you know, he's on my Mount Rushmore players because he just set a standard for us to elevate play for everyone, and even myself as a manager. So lucky to have him, and I don't think we're going to see any emotions tonight.
Speaker 2: Okay, sounds good. Dave, well said as always.
Speaker 1: And thank you again for allowing this time every week for us and getting more insight on what is to come for the team that has the second best record in baseball. Thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you, Dave. Let's go get a win tonight.