Speaker 1: For the back to back World Champions of Baseball.
Speaker 2: One of the greatest runs in the history of baseball.
Speaker 1: Immortality is within their reach. Incredible and while others make excuses.
Speaker 3: The only reason the Dodgers are doing this because they can. They printing money.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers just can't continue.
Speaker 3: It's not fair.
Speaker 1: Are making plans.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a singular focus on controlling what they can control.
Speaker 1: Now your pregame host of the world champion La Dodgers tam Cats.
Speaker 5: Hi, everybody, and welcome to Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on this hot Sunday afternoon. Hope you're staying cool wherever you may be. Sit back and relax and enjoy some Dodgers baseball as Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck is underway. The Dodgers seventy nine and fifty one on this season, running some momentum right now, winners of five in a row, they are in first place atop the NL West and they look to make the Pirates walk the plank with a series. Sweet Today, Blake Snow on the mound for the Dodgers first pitcher Uniclo Field. That Dodgers Stadium is coming up at one ten between then and now, we got a lot to get to here on Maronggo Casino Dodgers on deck, you are gonna hear from the manager himself, Dave Roberts. That's coming up in about twenty minutes, we'll preview this pitching matchup. David Vassa joins us throughout the hour. Of course, we'll hear from Charlie Steiner. We got your Dodgers magical moment. David Vassa is gonna go high and tight with Katie wu who covers the Los Angeles Dodgers on a daily basis, get her take on this Dodgers team where they stand right now towards the end of August and the home stretch of the season. We got your Otani rewind coming up in just a few minutes. We will check in with Tim Neverett and Rick Monday out the Galloping Ford Broadcast booth. Well, yesterday at the Ravine, Scoob's got into trouble early before settling in Trek Scuoble in the first gave up three runs to the first five hitters of the game, and all of a sudden, the Dodgers early were down three to nothing to the Pittsburgh Pirates. However, Schooble will settle in retired twenty of his final twenty three batters, the left hander allowed just three runs on five hits over seven innings, just one walk. His strikeouts, well, they were one off the season high, two off his career best, as Scooble would strike out eleven.
Speaker 3: Along the way.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, the Dodgers' offense needed to spin around the lineup to get after Jared Jones out of Lamarado High School, and finally in the fourth some command issues from Jones helped out the Dodgers, but start with Max Munsey's doubled down the right field line. Then Tommy Edmond took advantage of some well bad pitching from Jones. He walked two batters later, te Oscar Hernandez got the Dodgers on the board, Dodgers down three to one with the RBIs single.
Speaker 3: Then the newest Dodger, Alec Thomas.
Speaker 6: Welcome three two to Thomas. He swings hits a ground bowl into left field. At basic Tucker's gonna get waved around. He touches third. He is coming home. It's now a one run bowl game. Alec Thomas, well, this first hit is a Dodger. It produces a and makes it a one run ball game.
Speaker 5: It's three to two, Dodgers making a one run game.
Speaker 3: A fielder's choice, then a walk.
Speaker 5: Dodgers had their bases loaded for Freddie Freeman, but he flew out to left to end the threat and get Jones off the hook in the fourth. We fast forward to the bottom of the fifth, Dodgers down still three to two, when they took advantage of again some bad Pirates pitching. Mookie Betts hit by a pitch by Ramirez to lead off the inning. Max Munsey again, how about a double double animal style his second double down the right field line, Mookie Betts to third. Tommy Emmon grounded out to first, then runners on for Kyle Tucker, who has been struggling oer for twenty five at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 3: Come on, something gotta changed.
Speaker 6: Pirate right hander throws and Tucker hits it on the ground either the right peeld a basic Murky scores rounding third is month Sie.
Speaker 1: He will score. It's a two run, go ahead.
Speaker 6: Single for Kyle Tucker and the Dodgers lead.
Speaker 3: At four to three.
Speaker 7: Well, the Dodgers needed that hit of his late and so did Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 5: Kyle Tucker needed that base it certainly that ended at zero for twenty five stretch. That is the top tier play of the game, brought to by Arco Quality, top tier gas for less.
Speaker 3: As the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Flipped the scoreboard there in the fifth inning, they take a four to two lead, four to three lead at that point. After the fifth and again Trek scouble settled in. He went to seven innings, didn't allow a run after that first inning. Evan Phillips came in along with Jack Dryer, got out of the eighth. Tanner Scott got the ninth inning and he would retire him in order Dodgers get the win four to three over the Pittsburgh Pirates. Trek scooble He's now eight and seven on this season, but more importantly, picks up his first win in four starts since coming over from the Tigers at the trade deadline. Tanner Scott don't look now, but he's got nineteen saves on this season, as the Dodgers have now won five in a row.
Speaker 3: For the first time since May.
Speaker 5: Yes, remember when everybody was freaking out about the Dodgers losing three four to the Milwaukee Brewers. Well, they've now swept the Colorado Rockies and today a chance to finish off the three games sweep of the Pittsburgh Pirates. The Dodgers seventy nine to fifty one, nine games up on San Diego, eleven games up on the Arizona Diamondbacks, and they've separated themselves between them and the Braves as far as the top two spots in the National League, with Milwaukee holding the top spot. Today, Blake Snell on the mound, first pitch of one ten and with more we head out to the Gallo before broadcast booth as we say good afternoon to Tim neverdet Rick Monday.
Speaker 3: Guys, Tim, thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Gorgeous afternoon, warm temperatures here at Dodgers Stadium as the Dodgers get sent to wrap up this three game series with the Pittsburgh Pirates, a chance for a sweep. Dodgers are seventy nine and fifty one, nine games in front of the Podres, four up on Atlanta, two and a half behind Milwaukee for the best record in the National League. Down to the five week mark remaining in the regular season, Dodgers now have won five in a row. They haven't won six straight since they won six in a row in May, and looking to do that today if they can get back to back sweeps put together. They just swept the Rockies and I have won two of the first two against the Pirates. The Pirates come in sixty three and sixty eight, eighteen and a half off the pace in the National League Central Division, and a loss today for Pittsburgh and a win for Cincinnati, they would flip flop in the standings and the Pirates would fall into the basement of the Central Division. Blake Snell the left hander on the mound. He is one and one with a three sixty ERA last time out against Colorado very good. Lake Baker will open his second game in a week. He opened against Boston last Sunday, and it'll be a bullpen game for the Pirates today. Last night, the Buckos had a lead of three to nothing in the first, but that was it. Once Trek Scougbel dialed in the Sites, he really bared down hard on the Pirates, retiring eighteen to the last nineteen he faced and got the win, his first as a Dodge. Jared Jones had a good start at the beginning, but then just fell apart in the fourth inning and the Dodgers took advantage for their thirty seventh come from behind win. Well, it was a good win, obviously, and he wins a good win, but a one run win for the Dodgers. They have more one run wins than anybody in baseball twenty six and they've played in more one run games than anybody in baseball forty four.
Speaker 7: They got the feeling. I remember about three weeks ago for Dave Roberts who was asked about his ball club, which basically they were marching in place, they weren't doing a whole lot sufficiently on a day in and day on basis, he used the word urgency. Well, from what I see now, this Dodger ball club is playing with a sense of urgency. As you mentioned, yes, five weeks from today the regular season concludes, and then well, which division is going to be representing themselves in postseason? Playing for the Dodgers leading by nine games in front of San Diego to lead the Nation League Western Division. I just get the feeling that this Dodger ball club right now is working on with more urgency, if you will, on the way that they're playing the game.
Speaker 6: So Manews to report on We understand that Andy Pie has did have some sort of medical procedure done on his hand with the fractures, perhaps a pin put in there. Dave Robbers telling us just moments ago that the procedure has already taken place, which means that his recovery period will start sooner than they thought.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so that came as a big surprise. Pleasant one too, because that will probably and most likely speed up the process. As they've said, it's either a pin or a screw. The other good news is is that Will Smith, who we saw him yesterday out here and working with Shoheo Tani was pitching. Will Smith, will be headed to Oklahoma City and start his rehab on Tuesdays. So guys are getting even closer and closer to getting back and getting healthier.
Speaker 6: Smith was running the bases out here earlier today, so Tuesday he'll start with Oklahoma City. We'll see how many swings he gets down there, but they do expect him back by the time the Dodgers get off this next road trip to Atlanta and Detroit. Also, one other thing, Eric Lower is in the Dodger bullpen right now for a paulk innings role. No word on whether he will start again this season, but they do expect him to be utilized as a long man for the remainder of the regular season and into the postseason. Blake Snell, Lake Baker, that's the pitching matchup to start the game. Dodgers going for a three game sweep over the Pirates.
Speaker 3: Timp All right, thank you guys.
Speaker 5: As we gutting down to first bitch on this Sunday, it's lunchtime, Dodger fans, what's your plans? How about getting your game day meal onto Shaky's Pizza parlor.
Speaker 3: Sounds good.
Speaker 5: Order your Shaky's Pizza chickin and Mojo's right now at Shaky's dot Com. Coming up here on Morago Casino. Dodgers on deck. You are going to hear from the manager, Dave Roberts. That's coming up in about ten minutes. Of course, we'll get you the latest injury news as far as the Dodgers are concerned. You heard the update on Andy Piez. We'll check you with Katie Wu who covers the Dodgers for the Athletic get her thoughts on this Dodgers team with now five weeks to go in this season. We'll hear from Charlie Starner David Vat say checks in a lot to get to as we're off and running here, I'm Wrongo Casino Dodgers on deck leading up to Dodgers Empirates.
Speaker 3: Thanks for being with us.
Speaker 5: I'm Tim Kas's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the blue all season long.
Speaker 5: It's the Dodgers and the Pirates, says. The Dodgers go for the three games sweep of the Buckoes, Lake Snell, Lake Baker. Who will be the opener for Pittsburgh. That is the pitching matchup, first pitch coming up at one ten.
Speaker 1: This is the Otani rewise.
Speaker 5: Well, believe it or not, the Dodgers able to win a baseball game yesterday without show Hey Otani having to do very much. He did get on base twice via walk, but it oh for three day with a couple of strikeouts.
Speaker 3: For show.
Speaker 5: He's now hitting two eighty nine on this season, a three ninety one on base percentage. As show Hey Otani and the Dodgers got the win over the Pittsburgh Pirates yesterday four to three.
Speaker 1: This is Kirston's Corner with Kirston Watson.
Speaker 5: Hey Kirston, that joins us from the ravine. Brought to by Cars for Kids, the easiest way to get rid of your old car. Donate today your car could be picked up tomorrow.
Speaker 3: That easy.
Speaker 5: Donate now at carsfrokids dot org. That's Cars with a K. All right, a couple of big things going on with the Dodgers are looking to win their sixth in a row today on this hot Sunday afternoon. Kirston first off show, Hey, oh Tony, how did he come out of that simulated innity pitch yesterday?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he pitched like thirty pitches. He came out of it really well. So Dave Roberts was saying that, you know, when it comes to show Hayes build up, they have made it clear that it's going to be a live maybe two lives, and then they're going to start building them up in games, similar to what we saw last year when he was finishing his just rehab from having.
Speaker 4: The surgery the year before.
Speaker 8: So Dave was saying, what's going to be next is likely going to be another bullpen in the actual pin that will be happening in Atlanta, and then after that when they'll see how he feels, and then they'll decide if it makes it to throw another live or if it makes sense to slot him back into the rotation to begin the build up in game. What we saw last year with show Hey, it was essentially like he threw an inning in a big league game twice and he would build up to about two innings, et cetera. But due to kind of where they are in the schedule, due to where Showhey's health is at as well, Dave Roberts said that they feel like that they can be a little bit more aggressive with him. So it will be interesting just to see what really comes next after that bullpen in Atlanta, it's going to another live or if they're going to slot him into the game. But Dave did make it clear that once the slot him into the game, we're going to be seeing Eric Lauer likely kind of piggyback behind him because one, of course, he's already built up. He is available in the bullpit now technically, but they like the idea of having him to protect and also protecting themselves so that Eric is available if need be to start as well.
Speaker 1: No doubt.
Speaker 5: What about the update on Andy pie Has, who of course on the injured list now with the hand injury.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so of course we saw Into getting hit by that pitch on his left hand on Friday night and immediately we knew it was an ideal. He tried to stay out there, but of course afterwards we found out that he's dealing with a hand fracture. So Dave Roberts today said that yesterday morning he had a smallish procedure to put a pin in his hand. They're still hopeful, otimistic that he will be returning. They're still sticking to that four to six week timeline and just making sure that one he's ready to start swinging the back with the swinging the bat excuse me, when his hand is healed, that he is using the traject machine getting into live so that he's kind of keeping himself in a position to be ready come October. So we know how valuable he has been to this lineup, whether it's batting second or towards the top.
Speaker 5: Of the order.
Speaker 8: We saw what he did to start this season having an All Star campaign, So for him, it's just finding ways to make sure they can get that defense and his bat into the lineup again because there it's going to be a tough one without him trying to replace that, So things are going to look a little bit different while he is down. Right today and even last night we saw that Alec Thomas is going to be in center, but Dave said there will be times that it's Alec when there is a righty on the mound, but then we could see Tommy or Key Gay in center when there's a left on lefty on the mound. So they're just kind of we'll be seeing some different things with the lineup, just while they're trying to offset the time in which Andy is down. But they still at this moment feel very hopeful that he will be returning this season.
Speaker 5: All right, Kiers, it's suposed to be one hundred degrees on the field here with first bitch of one o'clock, somebody gets you an umbrella, and I hope you're hydrating.
Speaker 3: I am hydrating.
Speaker 8: I've got literally like three drinks with me, I've got electrolytes. I have a fan with a mister. But will you know what's sad? Because of how the seats are set up at Dodger Stadium, I can't put an umbrella. No, so it would block the view from the people in the first row. And obviously those seats are so expensive, so I can't That would be so rude of me.
Speaker 1: So I can't do that.
Speaker 8: So I'll just be like layering on sunscreen every hour, maybe forty five minutes. I think that's a correct thing to say.
Speaker 3: How about one of those hats the high school football coaches all, well.
Speaker 8: Yes, you know what, I'm gonna give me a bucket hat. So you'll see me down there with a little bucket hat.
Speaker 3: I'll be fine, all.
Speaker 5: Right, We'll stay cool, hydrate, and we'll keep an eye on you down there next to the Dodgers duguy, and we'll check you with you after the game still to come here on Marongo Casino.
Speaker 3: Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 5: Will dive deep into this pitching matchup. David vat sagoes one on one with Alec Thomas. But I'm next. We'll get you an injury report and we'll hear from the manager Dave Roberts the very latest on all the injury news Dodgers and Pirates on this hot Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: First pitch at one ten.
Speaker 5: I'm Tim Katson's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Cassino Dodgers Hunting game on your home for LA Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck continues on this hot Sunday afternoon. Stay cool wherever you're at, especially if you're going to the game. Hydrate please. Dodgers and the Pirates Marongo Casino Resort and spat a Grand Slam for good times. Blake Snell on the Mount Snell Zilla first pitch at ten.
Speaker 1: He's the LA Dodgers injury report.
Speaker 5: Where is that a buy UCLA Healthy? Official medical partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Andy pie Has on the I L with the left hand fracture and when Diaz on the IL with the next inflammation. More on that coming up. Dalton rushing on the IL with the elbow injury. Blake trying and working his way back with the right elbow inflammation. Will Smith on the I L with the neck inflammation. He took a well a sim game batting practice against Show Hey Yo Tany yesterday. Thirty pitches he faced against Show. Will Climb on the I L at the bone chips and his elbow, but he is feeling better. Tyler Glass now on the il, but he is soon to come off the injured list, making the scar start on Tuesday in the series opener against the Atlanta Braves. All right, let's head back out to the ravine and check in with the Dodger skipper.
Speaker 1: Any questions for Dave?
Speaker 9: Dave?
Speaker 1: Can you just describe Dave?
Speaker 3: Can you talk about the pressure.
Speaker 1: In the dugouts with Dave Roberts?
Speaker 9: The next step will be another bullpen, probably in Atlanta, and then I think at that point in time it would be alive or in the game in a game.
Speaker 10: Oh, we've seen him build up before, and how about how valuable was that? Just learning last year of seeing him go inning by inning and then you look at the rotator not even the rotation of the pitching staff that.
Speaker 1: You have options like and Eric Lawer or people.
Speaker 10: Who provide length. How valuable is that just right now as he is building up?
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's great. Obviously we've got Glass coming back, we have lower with length, and so to then have the opportunity the flexibility to insert show hey to you know, build up like you did last year, I think is a huge benefit. You know, both ways, and again having guys like lower certainly behind them is uh makes it that much a software landing for show?
Speaker 1: Hey, what with the terminal?
Speaker 4: It's a live or in gamers.
Speaker 9: I think it's more of how the pen goes, and I think and and also more so to be quiet on it's how show he feels if if he feels like you know, I feel like I can he can take on the game and thrown inning great and you know how it lines up versus I might need to see some more hitters.
Speaker 5: All right, there's a manager Dave Roberts on show, Hey, Otani, who is gonna throw another bit of bullpen session and everything checks off. There sounds like it's back to the rotation for show. Hey, slow build up still, but back to the rotation when we continue here, I'm wrong with Casino Dodgers on Deck back out to Uniclo Field the Dodger Stadium. But David Bassey has got the very latest to lead you up to first pitch.
Speaker 3: I'm Tim Kates' is the back to back World Stie Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying, yes, it's Marongo Casino Dodgers on Deck on the official home of La, Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers and Pirates on this hot Sunday afternoon. Blake Snell on the mount first pitch coming up at one ten Dodgers base I'll watched by Alpto, born in La.
Speaker 3: Made for your game day, El Pato.
Speaker 5: It brings authentic Mexican style tomato sauces, Saucea's Hot sauces right to your table every single time.
Speaker 3: El Poto Gourmet and a can.
Speaker 1: Joining Tim Kats on Dodgers on Deck.
Speaker 4: I accept everybody for who they are.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger inside there, David Bai.
Speaker 3: All right, DV.
Speaker 5: We don't talk about weather a lot of Dodgers Stadium because it's so beautiful in Southern California all the time. But you know, sometimes we get some rain occasionally, and today one of those really hot days out of the ravine.
Speaker 4: Yeah. When I got here at nine am this morning, Tim, it was already close to ninety degrees on the field at Dodgers Stadium. And I'm not a meteorologist, but I like to keep up with the weather, and they are warning here in Southern California this upcoming week that temperatures could get as high as one hundred and twelve degrees and it feels like today is the uh is the first day of that heat wave. And the Dodgers have the right guy on the mound today because last year the Dodgers had to go to Tampa, Florida to play outdoors against the Rays in August, and when Blake Snell made his first start back, or one of his first starts back, he was pitching in that series, and it was at least one hundred degrees with one hundred percent humidity. And Blake has told me, I don't care how hot it is. I don't care how cold it is. The weather doesn't mean anything to me. So some guys let the weather get in their head. Not snail Zilla today, on this beautiful Sunday.
Speaker 3: David has brought to you by Ford Summer Sales Event.
Speaker 4: Don't we Rick Monday's looking at me like I'm weird?
Speaker 1: Yay.
Speaker 4: Some guys do let the weather and find a built in excuse. No, not this guy, not a two time cy Young Award winner.
Speaker 3: Hurrying now for the best offers of the year.
Speaker 5: Go to your Buy four now dot comm er you South the California Ford Dealer for more information. Ford Official vehicle of Major League Baseball. All right, show hey O tany David, are we getting closer to him back on the mound?
Speaker 4: Sounds like it. He threw that live BPS and Otani obviously he's the best player on the planet. The Dodgers are going to take his lead on things. So, as you heard Dave Roberts say, he's going to throw another bullpen in Atlanta. I would expect that to be the first day on Tuesday, because a week from today in Detroit, the final day of the six game road trip, the Dodgers need a starter. They've already decided that Eric Lower is going to the bullpen, So if all goes well with that bullpen session in Atlanta, I could definitely envision Otani making the start next Sunday in Detroit, maybe a one or two inning start, and Eric Lower being the guy to piggyback him. That just makes the most sense.
Speaker 3: All Right, Dave real quick, Edwin Diaz, are we going to see him again this year? Pitching?
Speaker 4: We talked to him this morning. Here's what he had to say about the reset to his season.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think they shows I'm from previous year. It just it's my own angle. It's a little bit low. We are working out to get to be more consistent in that position. You know, I think with am angle up, my fastball room way better than now I'm throwing. Right now, I'm throwing the bad side to side, so my slaughter is still is getting flat in the middle, my fat way running through the bat. So that's why we are working now in that the angle back and try to keep going and keep working.
Speaker 4: Do you feel like you're running out of time to prove that you can get back to where you normally are because the season's almost over.
Speaker 11: Well, we got a lot of season left.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 11: We are a playoff teams, so my goal is to be ready and help this team in the playoffs. So I'm working on them. No, I know we'll be back, so I'm really positive.
Speaker 4: Well, Edwin Diaz has to prove to the Dodgers that he can be part of that postseason roster, and he'll probably come back in September with about twenty games to go in the year and probably less actually fifteen games to go in the season to prove it.
Speaker 3: Well, see if you can jump start things here late in the year.
Speaker 5: David great Stuff will check back with you in just a little bit coming up, we'll go deeper with Katie Woo from The Athletic get her thoughts on this Dodgers team and where they stand with five weeks to go. I got your Dodgers Magical moment though, when we come back Dodgers and Pirates on this hot Sunday afternoon. I'm Tim Kates's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Morongo Casino Dodgers Hunters game on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Pirates, Dodgers going for the sweep with Blake Snell on the Mound.
Speaker 3: Twentieth Century Studios.
Speaker 5: The Dog Stars Legendary director Ridley Scott returns with a gripping post apocalyptic thriller starring Jacob E. Lordi, Josh Brolin, Margaret Qually, Guy Pierce. The Dog Stars only in theaters and Imax this Friday. Get tickets now, Hot Dog, who wants the Hot God.
Speaker 1: It's time for the hawf Magical Moment. Ditch Magical Magic presented by Hawpy Hot Dogs.
Speaker 3: Well the Dodgers taken on the Pirates.
Speaker 5: We go back to the nineteen seventy four NLCS. The Dodgers a Game four route for the series win.
Speaker 2: So above all, our heartiest congratulations to every one of the twenty five players. It has been a long year and at no time did they quit on themselves. And it I sure paid off.
Speaker 3: Hold Off got him swinging the.
Speaker 2: Dodgers on the champions of the National League.
Speaker 5: The Dodgers in nineteen seventy four defeat the Pittsburgh Pirates and the NLCS a twelve to one win to clinch the pennant, their first NL pennant since nineteen sixty six. How about Steve Garvey had two home runs in that clinching Game four blowout, copying off a series which he and teammate Bill Russell collected seven hits apiece. That was the only other time the Dodgers faced the Pirates in the postseason against each other. This Hofey magical moment brought to by Hofey Hot Doggs, Haffey so Cow's local treasure for nearly one hundred years, Haffey hot Dogs, local and so great. When we continue here on Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck, we will check in with Charlie Steiner. I'm Tim Katsis is the back to back world Series Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Marongo Casino Dodgers on deck on your home for the blue All season.
Speaker 5: Law Dodgers and Pirates. One final time, Blake Snail on the mound. Dodgers going for the series sweep. Time down for the Verizon startup as we're thirty four minutes away from the start of the game. Now, Verizon, you can lock in that low price for three years so you can save big. Visit your so Cal Verizon store Today we say hello to Charlie Steiner.
Speaker 12: All right, Tennis, you get away day. The Dodgers, having taken two of the first three from the Pirates, wrap it up with the Buckos today, off day tomorrow, then off to Atlanta for a big three game series with the Atlanta Braids. Thirty two games and five weeks remaining to play for the Dodgers' magic number twenty four. The tragic number for the Pirates is fourteen. Story of the Day Yesterday MO was Tarrek Scruble, a shaky first inning, and then after that that was a Tarrek school the Dodgers were hoping for and expecting.
Speaker 7: I really thought that the coming out of the shoot in that first inning that you're talking about. The Pirates had a pretty good game plan because they were swinging early in the count against Scooble, even though he got ahead of the second batter and the third batter in that bowl game, but a two run triple and then an infield out and all of a sudden, it's three nothing. But exactly after that, although if we look at the second inning, remember two, there were back to back Bay's hints Scoobled at that time looked like he got angry, and that was a different Schooble that came out from that point on. So he's the mainstay and really kind of showed exactly why he was at the top of the shopping list for the Dodgers. Just before the trade deadline.
Speaker 12: He retired eighteen of the final nineteen batters he faced either a second hardest pitch of the season for the final strikeout victim of the day, Jake Bangum, And so Dodgers feel better now he got him the guy that they hoped and expected would be. And then today the Dodgers will be sending out Blake Snell, who historically in the postseason there are few that have been better. And then you're still looking at Yamamoto down the road and O'tani having pitched off the mound just yesterday. Looking forward, we're talking about it yesterday. Here are the Dodgers generally speaking, this time of year, teams are physically wearing down the pitching staff. How are they gonna how they gonna get those starters in there, How they're gonna fit them all in? The Dodgers starting rotation now is getting stronger as they get closer to the finish line.
Speaker 7: Know, there's some guy's coming off the injured list. I mean you start to look, Yes, Snell today making his forest Star overall is going to be glass. Now we'll pitch the first game of the road trip in Atlanta on Tuesday. He comes off the injured list. So yeah, all well and good on that end of it. But then you start to look at the uncertainties. For example, just a couple of days ago they lose Andy Potes with a fracture of the left hand. Okay, fine, Then you start to look at little things planning ahead, and the pickup of Alec Thomas, who came in yesterday also was in center field in the absence of Potz and for Thomas knocked in a run, he complayed some defense if he has anything at all from an offensive standpoint. What an insurance policy the Dodgers picked up very very early this year to get him.
Speaker 12: That was one of those deals under the wire nobody quite knew, all right, what happened to Alec Thomas and Arizona and the Dadgers say, Okay, we'll pick him up. And what an insurance policy he is turning out to be. Grant, it's just one game in, but we know he can field, and we know he can run.
Speaker 7: And I saw him yesterday before the ballgame. He spent a lot of time in the outfield understanding this surface of how quick the grass is, which is kind I mean for those that have never been on the field here at Dodger Stadium, let me tell you something. This is like playing on a putting green. It's not the high grass that you see in your front yard. No, this is more putting green, so the ball gets to you much more rapidly. And the fact that Thomas was out there working with Dino Eble, who's not only the third base coach but the outfield coach as well, it really showed me a lot as far as hey I want to get up to speed with what this ballpark is really presenting to me. Challenges defensively, and there's not a better teacher defensively.
Speaker 12: That's a thought of the.
Speaker 1: Game and Dino Ebl.
Speaker 7: Every time you have a conversation with Dino Ebl, you'll learn something, whether you're asking questions or not. If you pay attention, you're going to learn something from that guy.
Speaker 12: So the Dodgers again wrap it up today off day tomorrow the three big games in Atlanta, and suddenly, not only are are the Dodgers looking at the Braves in the rear view mirror, the Braves are looking at the Phillies in the rearview mirror. Philadelphia Trails and Braves by only three games, and so Atlanta's got a lot more on its plate in this three game series upcoming than the Dodgers do.
Speaker 7: Charlie, I'm not certain it's in the rearview mirror where Atlanta's looking at the Philadelphia Phillies. It may be in the side mirror, because the Phillies have won eight of their last ten, eight in a row, we might add. And for the Atlanta Braids, they've lost two in a row, but seven of the last ten, they have dropped in the lost column.
Speaker 12: Well, the Dodgers and Pires wrap it up this afternoon off day tomorrow and then off to Atlanta for three Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Lineups and first pitch coming up.
Speaker 3: Tim, all right, thank you very much.
Speaker 5: Charlie still to come here on Wrongo Becauseino Dodgers on deck. We'll get you a preview this pitching matchup the keys of the game. But up next we'll talk to Katie Woo from the Athletic covers the Dodgers on the Daily Beat, get her take on this Dodgers team. Dodgers and Pirates. Dodgers going for the sweep. First pitch at one ten. I'm Tim Kates's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers all.
Speaker 1: You know where as we were saying, this is Marongo Casino Dodgers on jack on the official home of La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers and Pirates Dodgers going for the sweet perfect guy on the Mountain Play Snell.
Speaker 3: First pitch at one ten.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Baseball is brought to you by Shanky's Pizza Parlor, the official pizza partner the Dodgers Audio Broadcast. It's lunchtime. No better time on this game day. It's group day, It's Shaky's dot com and now.
Speaker 1: What will likely be vass a fielding insults from a Dodger player.
Speaker 3: It's an engagement of endearment.
Speaker 1: This it is high and tight, all right.
Speaker 4: It's snell Zilla Sunday at Dodgers Stadium and the Athletic has team coverage, including Katie Wu, who's the best in the business. Thanks a lot for the time. And I know you got here early because you're ready for a show.
Speaker 13: Always besse, I know better than to miss snell Zvilla day.
Speaker 4: I think right now we should just say no hitter alert.
Speaker 13: Why not speaking into existence? You heard it here first on AM five seventy eight.
Speaker 4: Okay, So in all seriousness, Trek scoubl was amazing yesterday, but you have to admit since the trade deadline, the most dominant left he has been Blake Snell.
Speaker 13: I think that's what we're starting to see now is the Dodgers postseason rotation coming to form, and Blake Snell, to me, has been the guy that's really stood out as a reason to be even more excited for October just because of how dominant he's looked. The stuff has played up. He looks like the Blake Snell we thought we'd see all season. We know in Dodgerland what matters has come September, these guys being healthy and coming into form. We've seen a really good version of Blake Snell so far. But you know me, Besse, I like to see three stars from a picture before definitively claiming them back. We'll see it today, hopefully against the Pirates.
Speaker 4: Is that your rules? The three start rule.
Speaker 13: It's the three start rule?
Speaker 4: Yes, interesting? All right, Well you'll see that today. What did you think about Schooble? Was that his best start as a Dodger yesterday?
Speaker 13: I think so. There were a couple of things I liked about schooble start, most notably the eleven strikeouts and the way that he finished the game and his last strikeout in the sixth sitting. He pumped in his second hardest pitch all season, one hundred mile per hour fastball, and for a pitcher to be able to still tap into that and have that velocity that deep into games says something to me. I think what Scooble would like to see, and I think the Dodgers as well. As finding a way for him to come out and start the games with that kind of intensity. It feels like while his four starts in Dodger Blue have been certainly fine, he's not a pitcher that settles for fine. He wants to go out and dominate. And in the first couple of innings at each of his first four starts, he's gone to some traffic, had a couple of runs scores. So the key going forward for Schooble is finding a way to come out with that same intensity. He'll get a big test. His next start should be Friday against the Tigers. All eyes are going to be on that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're even traveling to Detroit for that one.
Speaker 13: That's right, we can hang out.
Speaker 4: Do you think he'll get as emotional as Freddy Freeman did in Atlanta?
Speaker 13: Well, that's a high bar. But I think we've certainly seen how much Detroit means to Schooble, And obviously you think about it's the only organization he's ever been with. This wasn't a situation where he chose to go anywhere. He was traded. His team ultimately said we're going to send you somewhere else. Certainly, a lot of feelings and emotions tied to that place. But I think Scoople's done a really nice job of embracing his new home. You see him talking with Miggey Rowe, the nicknames he has, and just kind of embracing what he wants to do with the Dodgers, which is win a World Series. So it will be an emotional reunion, but I think there'll be some incentive to kind of show it to his old team.
Speaker 4: It'll be hard for him starting that first game in Detroit right to really be able to get into his feelings. So what do you expect as far as the reception for him when he takes the mound in Detroit?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 13: I would expect a standing ovation. I mean, this is a guy who has been meant so much this Tigers organization. You think about where he started in his career, how he'd advance, and how he's become one of the top pictuers of not the best pictures in the league at all, started with the Tigers, and I think Tiger fans are certainly very appreciative of that, and they know this wasn't something that he said I wanted to leave. It's just unfortunately part of the business and These are going to be big games for the Tigers as well. Despite their sell off at the deadline, they're still very much in a very meek americanly Wildcard picture.
Speaker 4: I like that description. Meek, you're more kind than I am. Katie Wu from The Athletic is our guest yesterday show. Hey, Otani threw his first live BP since going on the IL. It feels like Otani's the one that's kind of dictating all this. Obviously he's the best player on the planet. Why wouldn't he What do you expect O'tani wants? As far as his next.
Speaker 13: Step, I think if Otani had any say, he'd be pitching tomorrow. Obviously that's not going to be the case. He's gonna throw one more bullpen in Atlanta, Dave Roberts told us today, and then the team is going to reevaluate what that looks like and if he's gonna throw another live or return to a major league mound. Now, I believe, just knowing what we know about Otani and how badly he wants to pitch, that if he comes out of this bullpen in Atlanta feeling well, that he's going to go straight into game action. Dave Roberts said, there's a chance we see him pitch within next week. I'm looking at the schedule ahead. My pure speculation here looking at Sunday, Dodgers don't have a starter schedule for that day. They do have Eric Laower available in bulkan relief. If Shohey comes out of that bullpen in Atlanta and everything is deemed good to go, Dodge's not gonna rush him, But if so, I could see him taking perhaps that one inning opener on Sunday, have Eric Blower to piggyback. If not Sunday, there's an open Monday before the Dodgers open up a three game set against Saint Louis, that also remains an option.
Speaker 4: That's the question. Obviously, we saw it last year where he would have his rehab starts in major league games, and Justin Robleski was the guy that would piggyback him a lot last year. Obviously, Robleski's on the IL. Do you feel like it's going to be a mix of Lour and Robleski piggybacking him in those starts.
Speaker 13: I think to start it's gonna be lower, just because he's built up and we know this progression based on last year with Otani, it's going to be one inning to start, then possibly two when you're gonna want a guy really stretched out like Eric lawer Is. The Dodgers expect Justin Rabuski to be off the IL close to when he's eligible too, so when the next couple days are or early weeks, and then we'll kind of be able to see as O Tawny progresses in game action how they use the piggyback option to have both those guys available Right now, though, I think the big key is again getting show Hey through that bullpen, which should be his last in Atlanta, and then seeing when he's coming back to the Mountain. Dodgers certainly looking forward to having him back.
Speaker 4: All right, Katie, thanks a lot for the time. Great to share snell Zilla's Sunday with you, and we'll look forward to seeing you in Motown.
Speaker 13: Do you know if as wouldn't want to spend snell Zilla Sunday with anyone else?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, that's right, get ready, Tim Kats bump Day just around the corner. We'll send it back to you in the studio.
Speaker 5: All right, Thanks a lot of DV Thank you to Katie. Wud does a great job follower on x and on her work on the Athletic Dodgers Baseball's present about uniclod Field, the Dodger Stadium, visit unicloone dot com slash us leading you up to first pitch up Next, we'll dive deeper in this pitching match.
Speaker 3: Him don't go anywhere.
Speaker 5: I'm Tim Kates is the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is Wrongo Casino Dodgers hunting on your home for La Dodgers Baseball.
Speaker 5: Dodgers Pirates, final game of this three game series, final game of this brief three game homestand Yeah, Dodgers hit the road on Tuesdays. They started East coast road trip against the Braves and the Detroit Tigers. As we'll get back Tyler Glass now on the Mount Terrek School. As Katie Wu and David Vesse we're talking about. I'm gonna see Tarry Scober go back to Detroit get that start next week. So it's gonna be a big one for the Dodgers as a head east. But first pitch today coming up at one ten.
Speaker 1: And now before the Dodgers hit the dining we look at the pitching Matchhots.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by her Toyota Dealers. We make it easy.
Speaker 5: Lake Baker on the mound of for the Pirates one and two at the three seventy five ERA. Thirty one year old right hander acquired at the trade deadline from the Miami Marlins. He went one and two with Tuesdays three eighty four ERA and thirty eight appearances four starts with Miami this year, making his second start in sixth appearance since coming over at the trade deadline to the Pirates. He opened the game versus the Red Sox last Sunday, went three shutout innings. Dodgers saw him just a couple night to go. Friday Night, he pitched in that ten inning Dodger win, a scoreless inning, one strikeout, three walks. Boker has a fourteen to forty ERA in five innings pitch six career relief appearances against the Dodgers, including a three r ray in three games at Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. Blake Snell on the Mount Snell Zilla Hello one and one with the three sixty ERA, making just his fourth start this year, his third since coming back from elbow procedure. In his first outing, six innings one run, three hits, ten strikeouts and a no decision against the Royals. Then six innings, one run, two hits, five strikeouts in a win over the Rockies last week in Denver, and six career starts against the Pirates Blake Snell one and three with a seven to twenty seven r Ray Blake Snell and the Pirates going Lake Boker an opener fifteen minutes away for first pitch keys in the game. Our next, I'm Tim Kayson's the back to back World Series champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: As we were saying yes' is Morongo Casino. Dodgers on jack on, the official home of La Dodgers, Baseball.
Speaker 3: Dodgers and Pirates.
Speaker 5: Blake Snell on the Mound, Dodgers looking for this sweet looking for the six winn in a row. To get you ready for the start of the game with the Sapporo Start Great Moments, Start with Sapporo Beer, whatever your taste preference. Sapporo has you covered with a variety of crisp and refreshing loggers, including light and non alcoholic beer, Saporo, Good Wi Sushi, Great with Baseball. Back out to the booth one final time before first pitch Tim nevert Rick Monday, guys.
Speaker 6: Tim, thanks very much. Blake Snell has the ball for the Dodgers this afternoon. In returning from the injured list. He's gone twelve innings, struck out fifteen and only allowed two runs. And his curveball has been looking very very good well the very first.
Speaker 7: Game that he pitched, so we were shocked in seeing the control of the curveball as consistently as well. You've seen it. That's a field pitch along with the change up on top of it. For the fact, twenty strikeouts in fifteen innings for Blake Snell, he has just been a big, big force and the Dodgers obviously open arms say hell yeah, welcome back and pitch very well. The other part two is the Dodgers know Bocker a little bit. He's made six relief appearances against them in the past five innings total in eight earned runs, so he has not really had a real good fitting with the pitching against the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Baker had opened last Sunday against the Red Sox with three scoreless innings. Carmen Macinski is expected to follow in a bulk innings capacity today for the Pirates. Pirates and Dodgers coming up. The Dodgers looking for a three game sweep tip.
Speaker 5: All right, Dodgers and Pirates. Next, I'll be back with all the post game to get you wrapped up on what happened. Reaction, of course, Dodger talk as well. Dodgers two games back of the Brewers for the best record in the National League, four games up on the Braves for the second spot in the National League. Dodgers nine games up in the division going into play today. We'll keep you updated on what's happening with the Diamondbacks of the Padres. All afternoon long, first pitch is next, Snell Zilla Day, Blake Snell the mount when we return. This has been Moroco Casino. Dodgers on deck on your back to back World Series champion Dodgers. How do you know where