Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 2: Here we go slowly on a Friday morning on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's so good.
Speaker 2: The Browns have been so bad for so long twenty five, six, seven, almost what thirty quarterbacks now in the last twenty years.
Speaker 3: Terrible football team, I mean, god awful. And they know.
Speaker 2: They're not gonna do anything this season, not a damn thing, and what do they do? They still find a way to bone the Steelers. It's the best. It is the best seeing the dejected Steeler fans leave Paycorp last night as the Bengals went thirty three to thirty one. That is a one game winning streak. Now three and four they're right in the hunt, still behind Pittsburgh, but hey, you just beat the boys on top. James Rapine is here work on at about twenty five minutes of sleep from Bengals Talk dot com Lockdown Bengals every Day's Bengals Day with James Rapine and the podcast. James, I know it's hard getting up this early after but but it makes it easier when when you win in that fashion too. I mean, can you imagine what Mike Tomlin was saying on that long walk from the locker room, the visuor's locker room to the bus.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's so mad. He is so mad at the Browns right now. So good you gave them Joe Flacco and he dice is my defense up? And yeah, I mean it's uh. It was a long walk from Mike Tomlin for sure, and a huge season saving win at least for now for the Bengals.
Speaker 2: This feels like a season changing win. And the turning point in that game to me was it's it's second quarter. And let me just look at the first quarter for a second here, right, We're watching the game and there's some miscues with the Steelers. There's the I don't know what was going with that fake flea flicker where Flacca was yelling his running back, and then the interceptions and penalties, but it's still ten nothing Pittsburgh Like this is like Green Bay, Right, I'm just up and invest time and and get no sleep and watch this game and then be so ticked off I can't go to bed because they had a chance and they blew it. But it's like seven of you know, Pittsburgh. Chase Mitch is a catch, Brown drops the ball, Yosha vash drops another one. Mims is jumping on a hardcount on the same drive, no pass rush without Trey. This is setting up to be disaster, right, But then Aaron Rodgers, I don't know what he's thinking, throws this ball for DK Metcalf. Here comes DJ Turner, who has been balling out this season, rips the ball away from one of the best interceptions of the season. All of a sudden, the ball goes Cincinnati's way with what forty three seconds left in the half, and.
Speaker 3: All of a sudden, the Bengals are in business.
Speaker 2: That that to me was like the turning point for the I think taking the lead for the first time since Burrow went down.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's what's wild is the Bengals didn't get off to a fast start. This wasn't prime time coming out at home season on the line. You grabbed the game right away and with the opposite is gonnat two third downs, get a touchdown. Aaron Rodgers has over eight seconds of the throw on their opening drive on that that touchdown pass to start things that John Smith and You're like, okay, defense, and that was kind of a scene for the defense. And then on offense they fun on fourth and four and their midfield and I'm like, Zach, why are you punting? And so they got off to a flow start, and to your point, they're down ten to nothing, and with four forty two left they swore and they go on to score seventeen points in full forty two of the first half. And I just want to note this and really hammer this home. They hadn't scored a touchdown in the first half, Nope, since Bill Burrow was healthy. And so for them to score seventeen points, You're right. The defense, Jordan Battle had the first interception, really nice catch on a redep down field, really bad ball by Aaron Rodgers. And then DJ Turner with an outstanding play. So the defense did step up really for the only time in that sequence there, and you go from down ten to up seventeen ten at the half and you get the ball out of half time. A huge turn of events there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, two great picks and those guys are playing great, maybe more in them a little bit, and you know, watching game, all of a sudden momentums in the way and then late in the game, right Cincinnati scores on what seven to the last eight drives, seven eight drives except the one where it's second and twenty. There's less than three minutes left. How do you lose Pat firemove who's been carving you up. How do you lose him for a sixty eight yard touchdown? That's inexplicable to me.
Speaker 5: Oh, you're right, you're right. You're not going to get an argument for me here. The defense was awful. I mean they were really bad for the majority of this game, and that is really unacceptable to give up that play. And really, you look at it, three touchdowns on four possessions. I'm not going to count the final seven seconds, even though they did have to make a play there. Yeah, this day one in spite of their defense, which is why you trade for Joe Flacker. You know, your offense has to carry you. You know this is a Jamar Chase t Higgins, Chase Brown lead team. And we saw it last night.
Speaker 2: I watched this sea. You have twenty plus years and we've seen the movie. It's like, now the Steelers go up late and you've got to be kidding me because they look so good down the stretch. We've seen this movie a thousand times, James Rapen, But you know what ten days ago, the guy who's wearing a Cleveland Browns jersey a few hundred miles away, says, hold my insurer.
Speaker 3: And he leads a drive with Flood.
Speaker 2: I mean, they've got plenty of time life, and I watch this guy just picked them apart, and t has this amazing selfless play at the end, and on that I will point a Tea. Gains finished with six touch of six catches for ninety six yards in the Tuddy he couldn't have gotten. He could have gotten to that hundred yard mark, but he slides a few yards shor to the goal line to literally seal the win.
Speaker 3: I mean that was awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. And there's and j Morrison actually had a great breakdown for us at bengalsbuck dot Com of this decision of T Higgins and Jamar Chase talking about what he did and what Jamar would have done in that spot, that Taylor learning from the past and how that influenced their decision to do what they did. And uh, yeah, I think I think there are a lot of skill players in the league, Scott that even if their coach tells them to do that, naturally they just glide into the end zone there because they're by themselves and it would have been a really easy touchdown and they start dancing, and you have any doubt that Aaron Rodgers would have drove down the field either won the game or tied the game. And so, yeah, too much time, We've seen it too many times, and there just wasn't a complex level in this defense. And so you combine all of that with t Higgins's unselfishness, it's winning play, winning football, and that's what they need from their stars right now, and they got it last night.
Speaker 2: You know, we've been bashing on the offensive line so far this season, but you really have without Trey Henderson on the other side, which we'll get to in a second. So you know the talatoo lines here, but the offensive line in particular, Man, you got all the questions. You know, Brown and Marius Mims. I'll be honest with you. You got to give them credit. They played well enough to win. They played pretty good.
Speaker 5: They did, they did, and I think my mens taking away TJ. Watt from the majority of this game. I mean I forgot t J. Watt was on the team.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: It was almost like, oh, well, the Bengals are without Trey Henderson and they can't get pressure, but neither can t J Watt. And look when when that does happen against that Steelers front. They did get two sacks, but right when you're able to limit them from a pass rush stand point, even though you brought forty seven times, that's an offensive execution standpoint. J Joe Blacker's getting the ball out fast. But this offensive line deserves a ton of credit. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: And Dn Risinger on top of that, I mean, he you know, he didn't hear his name calls like man Valdon Riser.
Speaker 3: Dalton Riiser was a stud last night.
Speaker 5: He was, and that's what I saw because he's a guy that you could have talked about months and months ago, and they signed him ten days before the season, and then he gets tossed out there when Lugis Patrick gets hurt week one and week two, He's had seven practices under his belt and he's trying to hit you to it, and it's just it didn't look good. But the past two weeks have looked much better. And I think it's because he's got his football legs under him and he's in football shape and much more comfortable in the offense. So yeah, I think he's played really well. And the thing that we saw last night that we haven't seen all year long, his explosive runs. They were able to get Chase Brown going. Yep, they didn't run the ball at Ton, but eleven carries and you have a run thirty seven yards and another run of twenty eight yards. That is huge for this offensive run at dug for this offense.
Speaker 2: James the Rapine from sis bengalstock dot com and Lockdown Bengals Only Daily Bengals podcast.
Speaker 3: How do you explain that?
Speaker 2: Because so far heading into what week this week seven worst running team in the National Football League, they had only three hundred and forty yards on the ground. Chase is averaging less than three per causing two point seven per carry. Last night it was almost ten yards per carry.
Speaker 3: What happened?
Speaker 5: I wish, I wish, I wish I knew, Like what the key is? I mean, I think one they gave Chase daylight, Like they were able to give him holes that he could run through and not get hit. I mean, we've seen so many times this year he's getting hit or having to cut or having to stop and start right as he gets the football, and that's just that's never going to work. So for them to be the aggressor to be physical, to out physical the Steelers, that's not something that we're used to seeing. Right the out physical the Steelers. Well, they did, and it was able to get Chase Brown up in space some I jp Ryan had multiple good runs and when you do that, then it gives one It gives your offense an easy button at times, it gives Joe Flacco options too. It just keeps him upright and clean. So even though you're throwing it forty seven times, it doesn't feel it that way because you've had some big runs on the ground. I mean, their biggest plays got weren't just passing plays, and that's rare for this Bengals team. They had the thirty eight yarder Andrea Higgins's long touchdowns, but they had multiple big plays on the ground as well, which goes a long way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there were some holes too. I mean he was he was hitting the seam and the line was moving guys out of the way and a way we haven't seen in weeks all the season out dare.
Speaker 5: I say on the on the season, You're right, I mean his longest run entering last night's game was thirteen yards and that happened five days ago in Green Bay. I mean, it has been a a bad running team. And one thing I do want to point out, and it was kind of kind of the theme of the night as far as getting off to the clow start. Chase Brown had a huge drop early in this game. That would have been a twenty plus yard game. Jamar Chase had a few drops early. Andre Yo. All these guys rebounded to make huge, huge plays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the conference came back. I saw Yoshi dropped upon my cod damn. And then he hit that When it went down in the middle, I'm like, who, look, he's thrown it to I saw eighty.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh lord, please just catch the ball. And he did.
Speaker 2: You know, they I think they shook the cobwebs out, like hey, you know what, we can win this thing. They started buying in and what Flacco was doing, and you know, back to Joe Flacco, just that steady, calm presence. We mentioned that drive at the end of the game, you know, scripted out. You don't rattle the guy. He's just simply unflappable. And you look at this. I think it's gonna be the story of the week in the NFL, and if he keeps it up, it's going to be the Darling story of the year. Thirty one forty seven, three hundred forty two yards, three touchdowns, no picks. He's now amassed in his two games here unless than what today's day ten. I think of the Joe Flacco era. Uh, five hundred and sixty one yards, five touchdowns, no picks and a one hundred quarterback rating. That's not that's not just like keeping the lights on until the other Joe gets back.
Speaker 3: That's like playoff caliber football.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, he's not keeping the lights on right now. He's powering the whole damn house. I mean, he's he's the why you know, he's the why you believe, the why you you think that this offense or this team is capable of keeping a float and staying afloat without Joe Burrow and maybe even making a run. And I think that's the significance of last night's win. How they did it with this offense, utilizing their best players, finding away against the first place team in the division. It's to me, at least right now, pretty easy to buy into this team hanging around and being there at the end because they were able to handle business against the Steelers team that gave them fitch in a lot of ways, and still they found a way to win with a guy who had literally his first practice was eight days before that game last night, and for him to play two games and throw for five to sixty one, five touchdowns, no picks in these past two games, it's really remarkable.
Speaker 2: I suppose to Dan Hordy yesterday and I said, you know, I know you're going to say no, but it feels like I must win yesterday. He said, of course not, because you know, Steeler schedules is gonna get a lot harder, Arts gets a lot easier, and you beat a division up, but it's a division upon it.
Speaker 3: You fall three games back.
Speaker 2: Man, you're doing the calculus on that going now you're expecting other teams to lose, and we need these days you can kind of start to control your own dustiny. I mean, three and four is nothing right home about, but you're right there, especially in this division where it feels like nine's going to win it. But now the margins get really really thin, and you know, we talked about the great performance by one line, but the other line of the pass rush was non existent. Forty one year old Aaron Rodgers had all day to throw the ball. Now, I know you didn't have Trey in there, you had Shamar Stewart coming back from injury, but still you expected better from that pass rush and just didn't get a last night.
Speaker 5: No you didn't. You didn't defense major disappointment. I mean, I'm I'm surprised that they weren't out outside of the turnovers, able to get a stop here or there. Right, I mean, that's not a great Steelers offense. They're they're fine, and they were able to limit dk metcast. And so if you say, all right, we're going to limit dk metcast, well you should be good. The problem is Jamin Warren is still probably breaking tackles right now, and huge game for the Steelers, and then Pat Pryers really got going late. So yeah, you just you can't give a quarterback like Aaron Rodgers that much time. When you do, and you give him a running game, it's going to be really, really tough to stop any offense. And so they have to figure that out regardless of Trey. And obviously you need Trey back, but if you don't have Trey, you still got to be able to find ways to get pressure. They didn't last night. The good news it's gotten. The one nice thing I can say about the defense is they did force those two turnovers that helped flip the momentum and put the Bengals in position to take control of the game late in the second quarter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't overshadow what was a spectacor when last night thirty three thirty one at Paycorps, the stadium looked great.
Speaker 3: You know, the white out worked.
Speaker 2: Unlike the last game where it was looked like an FC home game with the lines, jerseys and stuff. This was legit and the Bengals were able to hold on and pull this thing out. And now they've got momentum. And you got maybe a little chip on your shoulder here too, because you start looking at the schedulext up of the Jets and they're terrible. Now, you can't play down obviously, but man, you have some confidences and thinking they can turn this into a multiple game win streak.
Speaker 5: Now, yes, I agree with that, and it's it's kind of wild to think in these terms, but this kind of shows you how Joe Flacco, his post Baltimore run has gone. I attended a Bengals Jets game where Joe Flacco was getting food and told to put him on the bench and all of the things, all of the above, and so for that to turn into what could be a huge revenge game that this is the Bengals back to five hundred, right, I think they're they're in good position. And by the way, I agree with you Dan Hord hates the term must win, but it was a must win. They couldn't have felled a two and five and realistically talked the playoffs. So it was a huge win for the bang.
Speaker 2: I love how Cleveland set this whole thing up and even though they can't win, like hand of the hand grenade to us as they're dying, and it said, here you bomb.
Speaker 3: And that's what we did, right.
Speaker 2: We fragged the Pittsburgh Steelers and Mike Tomlin and they making meet those words about why the hell are you?
Speaker 3: That's that's why.
Speaker 5: Uhland wants to send Cincinnati. Is a little mild garrett too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe we could use that, why not. Yeah, we'll take there. We'll take a lot of the guys on defunse straight up. He is James rapineover at Bengals Talk dot Com, lockdo on Bengals Follow Subscribe James is the best answer to and I heard, by the way, during the Amazon Prime pregame show. I heard your voice multiple times in the setup from Cincinnati. So you got a little national play last night?
Speaker 5: How about that from me and mo On? I thought it was crazy.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool, James, all the best, buddy, Thanks for getting up.
Speaker 5: Thanks appreciation, all the best.
Speaker 2: Quick time out then news in about four minutes and we're return on the Scott Sloan Show. Okay, so no football this weekend. What are you gonna do? Get some streaming movies to talk about with the buski. He's next for maybe seeing New York talks and entertainment stuff on the Scott's Loland Show seven hundred W.
Speaker 6: Or the.
Speaker 2: Here we Go Scott's Loo on Friday morning, seven hundred W. Lwedy, Welcome to the weekend. Just abouts and kind of jokingly, I was talking to James Rpeen on the big Bengals win last night. If you went down to Paker, what a beautiful night. Weather was great on TV if you watch it on Prime like I did, look great with whiteout the field look fantastic. The uniforms are just the best in the NFL. I think there. I think those alternates, those the white and black stripes. The white strip's fantastic, and we look so good. And fortunately we walk out of there with a win, because I think if the Bengals had lost, we'd be They're out of it, they're done whatever. And then we're back to the tired story of homicides downtown, which we talk about, you know, four days a week here on the show. In the station. Others are going to talk about it all the time. There's only so much of that news you can hear, you know, and it's important. It's important talk about police chief and going to happen in the future. And we get this election coming up and will things change? And you know, even if you're tired of hearing about I think we all recognize and realize, even if you don't live in Cincinnati, which is most people listening, the fact of the matter remains that that is the heartbeat of our community. And if you have shootings and death in Mayhem on Fountain Square, which is the epicenter of our region, it's just going to continue to deteriorate the city. No one's going to want to come down and we're going to go back to the way we were in the early two thousands, which if you're around back then, there was nothing going on down there. I mean literally nine o'clock, the sidewalks were rolled up. There's nothing happened. There may be one or two bars down there.
Speaker 3: That was it.
Speaker 2: There was nothing worthwhile going down downtown. We had this huge renaissance, and here we are, and it feels like a lot of these bozos are are forces to go back in time, because that's how this all begins. And I see the street criminal bozos for sure, but our leadership, or alleged leadership are like thereof So last night, and had the Bengals lost, we'd probably be talking more about the fatal shooting last night outside of bar downtown Cincinnati. I think it was I want to say, so that's Sycamore and Third, So that's what near the in between there in between Around two am, I thought, okay, well the game was over. I went to bed like right around eleven o'clock, kind of late. And maybe you're hanging around at the game and having a couple drinks after whatever, and so, but there's still plenty of people around at two am, and the victim is a man in his late twenties early thirties found dead inside a BMW has pronounced that the scene somebody rolled up and fired a bunch of shots in and then they took off. But again, we have the sociopaths out there that simply don't care that. Hey, you know what, there's there's families out there, there's young kids out there at that time of night simply because of Thursday night football. And this is because you have some stupid beef. It's all about you. The world revolves are on you. Yeah, I don't care. You can blame Terry Thigi and fire her all you want. That's not on her.
Speaker 3: She is just you know, we talked about this yesterday.
Speaker 7: She is just.
Speaker 3: On what's going on my phone here.
Speaker 2: She's basically just a figure. You ain't getting caught up in the middle of this whole thing. Could she do things better? Something's better?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Could stuntings be worse? I suppose, But that's not the problem.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: The problem starts at the top when you have this progressive priorities about what we want our community to be relative to those people are committing crimes that every criminal out there is somehow a victim, and I think race is a huge component, you know, talk about racism and this stuff with you know, Representative Dave's young office with you know, with the swastik and things like that. But and we'll get to that and do time next week because that's still developing, which is scary. But the fact that matter range is Okay. We can talk about white racism young Republican racist, absolutely, but at the same time, like you know, the notion that somehow black people can't be racist, I think there's a lot of racism happening within the people who are anti racist and they just don't see it though, And I pointed people like Iris Rawley and the way she handles police officers, said, every single person of color who has stopped, even if there's a worn out for their rest, is somehow a victim in an unjust system. And when that is your worldview, how is that anymore or less racist than what we're talking about with what's happening with young Republicans who are in I guess in their on their communications between each other, How is that anymore or less You're influencing public policy now and I think there's a huge component of this.
Speaker 3: Something happened. I think last week I didn't get a chance to get to it.
Speaker 2: Maybe I'll do it for Monday, because again, Friday morning, I don't want to get into this other than the fact that, you know, we had another fatal shooting last night and literally putting a stain on the wind last night in Cincinnati. I don't want to say that. You know, the Bengals win is bigger than someone getting shot to death. But we've had a steady drumbeat of that kind of mayhem happening at our city center. And I know we're all tired. I'm tired of talking about it, You're tired about hearing it, We're tired about living it. Everyone's just tired and exhausted. And so it feels good to talk about the Bengals beating our arch rivals, or one of our art rivals anyway, with the help of another arch rival, which is the story. And I want overshadow that because we really need on this Friday morning, damn it, we need something to celebrate for real, so there'll be more of time to talk about that. Another death last night downtown, more gunplay, should that cost the chief a job, I don't think so. I think it is the policies that were established enforced by the chief, but those policies were not set by her.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You got to go to the top for this thing. And it's the guy who wants to be re elected coming up in just a few short weeks. And of course members of Consul will enable that behavior as well. And I think AFTAB is going to win, but I think a lot of numbers of council are going to be showing the door. We're not sure who, but that's going to be interesting as well, because we've got like twenty people running for those seats. We'll get to that probably pick it back up again Monday. And I said, you know, I just wanted to point that out. We did have a fatality downtown last night, another shooting, another steady drum beat of that, but it shouldn't overshadow the fact that, hey, listen, we need to pimp, pump the brakes. It's Friday morning. Lighten it up a little bit, and we can pick this back up again Monday, and safe to say Monday, there probably at this rate will be more shootings Downtown News on the way in just a few minutes. Mike Debiski is here from ABC New York. He's running a little late, so he begs, are indulgence there, we'll catch up. We got some movies out this week. I know Tron hit last week seems to be fading. New Ethan Hawke and Julia Roberts movie out as well too, in payning homage to a rock and roll legend. Next on The Scots Long Show, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: WL L L year.
Speaker 3: We've made our connections.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: Mike Debuski is here from ABC News in New York. He helps cover entertainment for US. Mike, good morning, How are we doing?
Speaker 7: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fine. A'ce Freeley dying at seventy two seventy four?
Speaker 3: What did I see yesterday?
Speaker 2: I just wanted to note that for the Kiss fans out there and part of my generation indeed, But I think he tripped in a studio and had a brain bleed.
Speaker 3: Which is scary.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, definitely, and the rock world is mourning that in a pretty big way obviously, Kiss, you know, known for countless hits and their distinctive visual style. Yeah, Ace freely passing away in a very sudden and tragic way, Big New York guy, where you are too back in the New York groove.
Speaker 5: So to speak.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, let's talk movie related stuff.
Speaker 3: I know Tron was supposed to be. Tron was a big one last weekend? Did that carry over this week?
Speaker 5: How?
Speaker 3: It too?
Speaker 8: Not particularly well, falling about ten million dollars short of what analysts had been expecting during its opening weekend last weekend. This, of course is the big sci fi epic from Disney, Jared leto Greta Lee starring in this, but you know, really just failed to connect with the movie going public in a really big way. Disney has not really done a consistent Tron franchise. The original movie obviously came back came out in the early eighties starring Jeff Bridges, and then they followed that up in twenty ten with Tron Legacy. That was a pretty modest hit, making aboutour hundred million dollars or so globally when all was said and done. But yeah, coming back to the franchise now fifteen years later did not seem to connect. I think something that's going to be interesting this weekend as Tron enters its second weekend of release is to see if it stays at the top of the weekend box office. We're kind of in an interesting, sort of softer period for the box office right now, not you know, a defined hit coming down the line until a little bit later into November. So will tron win again this weekend or will it be a newcomer something like The Black Phone two.
Speaker 7: This is a horror movie that's new this weekend.
Speaker 8: Starts Ethan hawk At, the follow up to the twenty twenty one film The Black Phone.
Speaker 7: And it's a you know, an adult film.
Speaker 8: It's not going to necessarily bring in a ton of you know, young kids or anything like that. But the first Black Phone was a pretty successful film on a pretty modest budget, and it was able to you know, raake in about twenty three million dollars or so back in twenty one, when you know, theaters were still reeling from the COVID nineteen pandemic. For what it's worth, black Phone two tracking for about twenty five to third million dollars in its opening weekends. That would be enough to knock tron Arias down to the number two slot.
Speaker 2: All right, and plus saying, you know, we've got Halloween coming up, so good time to roll out a even if it is a.
Speaker 8: Sequel exactly exactly, And this is very much leaning into some of the classic Halloween themes, right you know. This is a movie where the serial killer known as the Grabber, he wears that very scary mask in the first movie. He comes back in the dream of some of the characters in this new movie. So heavily influenced by the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise and Freddy Krueger of it All, but also kind of the works of Stephen King. This is set in the early nineteen eighties, kind of has a very Stephen King kind of aesthetic to it in the filmmaking and in the image crafting. So it's something to keep an eye out for. And it comes from Blumhouse, which is a sort of well known and well liked horror studio. Their strategy has always been to go wide and go cheap right, make a lot of stuff on a modest budget, and see if any hits. They have been able to ride that strategy to success with really big hits like get Out and the New Halloween franchise, the Perge franchise as well, but this year they've kind of been a little softer than maybe they would have wanted with movies like Megan two point zero and you know other films including you know, things like The Wolfman and The Woman in the Yard. They kind of fell short of expectations, so they're looking for a hit this weekend.
Speaker 2: All right, Black Phone too. I did see the trailer. I don't know what to make of it. Julia Robert Tander Garfield. After the Hunt?
Speaker 7: What is that? Yeah?
Speaker 8: After the Hunt is a new movie from Luca Guadanino, who has been working really hard the last few years. He's been putting out two or three movies a year. Last year was Challengers, which was that kind of very sensual tennis movie that starts Zenda. Also Queer, which is based on the Augustins Burrows novel you know that starred Daniel.
Speaker 7: Craig as well.
Speaker 8: Now he's following it up with a college campus drama where Julia Roberts and Andrew Garfield play college professors who are up for ten yere one ten year splot and one of their students played by Io Edabierri from The Bear, comes forward and accuses Andrew Garfield of sexual assault, and it gets into the he said, she said, who do you believe? What are these relationships really at the end of the day, kind of campus politics of it all. People who've got a chance to see it early left very divided on this movie. They either loved it or they hated it. A lot of people really do seem to hate it. However, I was able to see it early, and I walked away kind of impressed. It is not a movie that leaves you with any easy answers by any stretch of the imagination.
Speaker 7: But I also think it's.
Speaker 8: A topic that is very nuanced and requires you to ask a lot of questions of it.
Speaker 7: So maybe not the.
Speaker 8: Most satisfying movie going experience if you're just looking for a kind of good time at the movies.
Speaker 7: But it's definitely one to chew on after the Hunt.
Speaker 8: And it's you know, scored by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, who of course have scored movies like The Social Network. Also, uh, you know, one of them went on to score tron Aris, so the score is pretty good as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nine, I was making the making a run here the Hollywood the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: That's the reason to go see trot Aries I'll be honest, it's pretty hard.
Speaker 3: That's good raging out with nine inch nails.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Small screen stuff I did get into because I've been nursing my ankle surgery and so having a lot of time to watch us started getting The Black Rabbit on Netflix. Jason Bateman, Jude Law and it's that is a slow burn, Like you watched it first episode, like I don't know. My wife left, She's like, this is stupid. I gave it a couple episodes. It picked up really well. So if you're looking for something on the small screen, you may want to get on. It's not like the best Jason Jason. There's there's some elements of Ozark to it, but it's so bad.
Speaker 3: It's not bad.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, I haven't had a chance to see that yet, but I've heard pretty good reviews.
Speaker 7: Again, a slow burn.
Speaker 8: You know, this is a thing that this prestige TV era really does fall into where you ask yourself the question, It's like, okay, this is eight episodes. You know, maybe we build something really special by the end of the season, but would this have betten better as a movie? I think that's a question that a lot of these sort of short form you know, prestige series really do you ask themselves? But then again, you know, some things are made for TV. It sounds like this one is. It sounds like it is rewarding to spend time with these characters, Jude Law, Jason Bateman. Of course, always a pleasure to see them on screen. And it seems like a pretty twisty thriller set in the world of kind of high end dining in New York City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's pretty cool. At worth it if you're looking for some But again it's a slow play. It takes a while to get going. Mike Debuski in New York at Michael Lubuski, thanks for jumping in this morning with the entertainment stuff. Appreciate you. Yep, of course they have a great weekend, buddy. Thanks again. It's a Scottslan show. It's seven hundred WLW and play us out Ace Friley for a second here. Ace Frayley Dad at seventy four, original league guitarist of Kiss and he passed away because he was in the studio and fell down. I just think just a week or two ago and suffered a brain blee. And of course it's seventy four that's not too recoverable. And his family and friends were with him when he passed away. Founding member of Kiss with Gene Simmons, Peter Chris on drums, and Paul Stanley of course, and just absolutely shredded some of the most classic licks and rock and roll you heard from his guitar for more than a decade, about a decade right from seventy three to eighty two. He had some substance abuse problems, left the group creative issues of course, and then how much of that was the drugs talking, and he left and did some solo stuff. Freyley's comment back in the New York Groove was a good jam and of course came back together with Kiss and even got putting rock and rode Hard of fame in twenty fourteen. That's but Ace Frayley passing away at the nintetwenty four So the quarter of the original Kiss and a Kiss army has left the room, left the big stadium in the sky, so to speak. We'll get the news update in here momentarily, and then returned at the ten o six cuts and the stuff happening in and around Cincinnati A little bit lighter on this Friday morning.
Speaker 3: I know the big story today, of course, involved death.
Speaker 2: Mayhemmond destruction outside of the Bengals destroying the Steelers.
Speaker 5: And I love the.
Speaker 3: Fact that Cleveland right now is laughing.
Speaker 2: It was like the dying comrade hitting us the live grenade we tossed with the enemy at the Pittsburgh Steelers last night, giving us Joe Flacco exet coach Mike Tomlin and the Steelers off yesterday or two days ago, as I guess I should say, he was upset because why would you trade why would you do this.
Speaker 3: Into a division team to screw Pittsburgh?
Speaker 2: So Mac like Cleveland with Cleveland, Cincinnati, the Ohio Bros keeping it real and going okay, our season is lost yet again in Cleveland. If you guys still kind of you have a chance. Burrow may comeback and we'll give you Joe Flacco for a song. Just please please feed Pittsburgh and the Bengals pulled them off last night at Take or Love It. You wonder what Mike Tomlin was thinking of that long walk from the visitors locker room, the cold shower out to the nighttime, the air walking on that bus.
Speaker 3: What the hell was going for?
Speaker 9: Mac?
Speaker 2: Tomin Tech. I think it was fantastic. Thank you Cleveland. We ow Cleveland a debt of gratitude. This morning show I got about it. It's a Scott's Loan show. This is the home of the best Bengals coverage seven hundred WW since anat Friday morning, slowly back with you on seven hundred WLW savoring and the delicious tiredness of a who Day win, which is the opposite we've had in the past and Friday mornings. I like to talk about a variety of different things and not all newsy or I should say bad news. He related some of the good news out there, believe it or not, despite what we've been talking about, including last night's shooting, and that would be this. We're making progress in a lot of areas.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: We talked about the Duke Energy Convention Center going back online and that's going to reopen, and the hotel is about to be started as well, and then you talk about, hey, maybe a new arena, and of course the Brent Spence Bridge project is just about to be in full swing. It'll be orange barrel hell for a few years, but the end result is worth it. No more traffic jams and mayhem over the Ohio River. But to do all those things you did and you still need and in the future will need bodies to do it. And of course one of my causes here on the show is construction trades. I'm a I'm a sick of fan for it because I realized that not everyone should go to school. I was one of those people, you know, but I got in back in the day when nell you needed was a check and a number two pencil, And today it's a lot harder. The stakes are much higher, and we know people are going to the debt and now they're looking for the government and US taxpayer to bail them out because the model is broken.
Speaker 3: So what about the trades?
Speaker 2: Don't we understand we're making some inroads here locally, but at the same time, there's so much more to do. And on that is John strawser my buddy John Strasser, former CEO of Valley Interior Systems and Spirit of Construction fellow board member for a long time. He's been doing it since two thousand and three, and Amanda Smith is the executive director of the Spirit of Construction Foundation. Welcome, guys, how are you? How's everybody Amanda, welcome in whoday, Baby, who day? I got a Mana's Mike on Dave?
Speaker 5: Is that it is that?
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. It's technology. We have no idea what we're doing over here at l W. We have no idea. We're really bad at it. We're in communications business. How are you doing? We're not very good at it. Good to have you guys. How's everything, John? I know you're at the game last night?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well worth the late evening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotcha. And it was fun to watch on TV, so I got to bed before you did. But anyway, let's start with the need. First of all, I know that we've made progress, and I'll start with you in this genre real quick, and then we may progress in getting people in the trades are starting to but there's still a lot more to be done.
Speaker 10: Right, there's a lot to be done with the retirement age coming down a little bit in the trades and the shorte of people getting interested in the trades. Last check I saw was we're sure about a million trades people across the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and a number continues to grow despite younger people going, hey, I want to get into the trades as well.
Speaker 3: I brought that opportune in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Is that you know, we hear about, hey, there's no job opportunity, there's no opportunity for and what do you expect when kids are going to go in the street and try to hustle make money. We see these shootings and it's all related stupid beefs, and they're not working and they're getting off the bus. And we've got all these job we're building the bridge right now about to embark on this great You're gonna need thousands of jobs out there. I mean, I've said this before to the influence of decision makers and the shit stakeholders are going, well, we just need more job.
Speaker 3: There's jobs right that.
Speaker 2: Literally, you guys will train people and put them to work the same day, won't you.
Speaker 5: We will.
Speaker 10: And we're actually starting in the fifth grade to start see kids through the trades, through some of the curriculum we're dealing with, and we're getting exposed to educated towards and trained to have a job, a job ready come senior year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there's no outline either. It's like we hook you up with the tools, we get to the training, we've shown the job you're making money. My nephew who moved here from Oregon is is going to iced to be an electrician, and so he works during the day and then a night or two a week they send him to school to learn how to become an electrician. He doesn't pay for anything, he's making money along the way. And there's so many of those opportunities out there. Heating, ventilating, air conditioning. Work with my guys, the grimmy group, same thing. They do classes there to teach people with daycon how to do AC and within eight weeks they're on the job. They're making money. Plenty opportunities like that in Cincinnati, and I'm so tired of hearing about there's no opportunity.
Speaker 10: Yeah, the opportunities are you name the trade, plumbers, electricians, mechanical painters, finishers. I mean, everybody needs workers right now. And the push to get the kids exposed is making making a big difference.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, let's turn to the Spirit of Construction Foundation, Amanda, where you come in, where we came in to try and bridge that app with scholarships and learning and getting programs and schols. Let's start with that. I know when I was a board member with John. I know, the big thing was, hey, we got in a woodward. You know, we got shopped through the class back. But that's grown beyond that, right absolutely.
Speaker 11: So the Spirit of Construction was started back in nineteen ninety six as a way to recognize and celebrate the construction industry, and that was initially done through our annual Gay Law and John here actually is one of our Lifetime Achievemental Ward winners this year. So every year at the annual Gala, we give out a Lifetime Achievement Award. What makes John's award so special this year is that his dad also won the Lifetime Achievement War back in nineteen ninety nine, so he's actually a second generation lifetime honorees. So we're very excited to celebrate John at our gala this year.
Speaker 3: So what you're saying is John's old John.
Speaker 12: I'm saying John's a big deal, is what I'm saying. John's amazing ding his ego. He knows, we know what he's done. But it just means you're It's just a nice way of saying, damn, you're old or a buffaloed a lot of people.
Speaker 2: Now, no one's more deserving because because honestly working alongside you for a few years and just watching you the machine. That's the chance. I mean he really, John's the guy who really drove this whole thing. And that's it's really cool to see and it's a well deserved So congratulations.
Speaker 1: So we're excited.
Speaker 11: So what started out as having an annual gala has grown into what it is today. And so beyond the Gala, which is our major fundraiser, all net pro seeds from that gala go to three buckets of work that we invest in, scholarships, workforce development, and we give out mini grants to nonprofits focused on workforce development within the construction industry, right.
Speaker 2: And those grants are nice because you look at the organizations and that benefit from that is you know, it's girls Scouts. So you go through the list here of organizations that get that and go, hey, we're putting these programs in. We're doing summer school, like a class where kids can do hands on building stuff and you know, use power tools from Milwaukee and you know, drill holes and boards and see how buildings are put together. And when you have the house, a hands on kid right as the more tactile than than just sitting there and wrote memorization. Had you done that for me, I think I would be I would have been in the trades. And I've been doing this, which a lot of people listening and say, well, I really wish we could do that in the tough way back machine. But some of us learn just by looking at it. And we're finally doing that. We're finally learning how to teach and reach these kids. And you wonder, John, how many kids over the years may have dropped out of school or said I I I, this isn't for me because we're just sitting there and it's the same way we all learned is here's a teacher, here's a white boarder, blackboard, You're gonna have to memorize this. Look in the book. It's all theory. You put the practical thing into it, the matter. This is why you need shot math, for example, which you helped get into schools. It's reaching so many kids whould fall into the cracks before. It's incredible.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we're teaching kids how to take a tape measure and say half inch plus three quarters is one and a quarter. You and I understand that because we use a tape measure almost every day in the jobs and the trades were the work we're doing around our homes. And by getting the kids exposed to this, we think that it's close to fifty percent of every student in the classroom as a visual learner. Yeah, not a book learner. And the school system does not teach or focus on these kind of kids. And now that we're doing it, we're gaining the opportunity putting a tape measure in their hand. Their eyes are opening up, they're understanding, they're looking up into the sky at this and understanding that hey, science ties in with math, and now it's in their grades, are accelerating their attending class and it's making a difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like algebra, I don't know numbers and letters, why do they need to go together? But you know, you start doing calculations, you start doing like your roof, slopes and stairs, and it's like, oh, I get it. Now this is where it's applicable in the real world. And there was never that connection we're going to school and now there is.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and it's making a big difference. In the end, we're seeing kids come into the trades now with a direct impact. Now it takes time. I mean when you start teaching in fifth grade, you know you've got a seven year process to get them through where they become the correct dation to being hired. But we're now, after the years of work we put in, we're starting to have kids now make that jump to the trades.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Again, it's a man A Smith, the executive director of Spiritual Construction Foundation, and John Strasser, the former CEO of Valley Interiors here in Cincinnati, but they're all over the state. A board member there since two thousand and three, and he's going to be an honoree this year at the gala, which is coming up on the twenty.
Speaker 11: Fifth, Right, that's right next Saturday, full house, full house, record number thirteen hundred folks done at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center. Next year is our thirtieth annual gala, so we're.
Speaker 3: Excited about that.
Speaker 11: But all proceeds from the gala actually are reinvested as a foundation. We are a funder and we reinvest those dollars back into workforce development within the trades in construction.
Speaker 2: Part of those scholarships you have went int like like seven hundred thousand dollars of the years in scholarships.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 11: So we've been doing scholarships since two thousand and four. We started by giving out scholarships at University of Cincinnati. This year alone, we gave out twenty five scholarships seventy eight thousand dollars and those scholarships are first students at NKU and UC that are looking at construction management Cincinnati State as well. And then we also give scholarships to military veterans that are looking at getting into construction. And for the first time ever this year we gave out skilled trade scholarships, so that's anyone that's interested in getting enrolled or as an incentive to keep them enrolled in skilled trades. So we're really proud of our scholarship program. Since two thousand and four, we've given out two hundred and seventy eight scholarships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's cool now because you get people fighting for the scholarship and saying, hey, we're doing this this and it's not a being war, but you know, you want to see where the best bank of the bucket's going to be. But it makes all those entities be sharp at what they're doing. Their focus, of course, is getting young people in the construction straates and I'm so happy to see that we are getting fifth graders now interested in there. It used to be a tough sell to school public schools in Cincinnati, John, where they're like, yeah, you know we were find the way where no, you're not. You're missing all these kids and you just it's so sad to me to think over the years how many kids were lost that that may have turned to a life.
Speaker 3: I mean, so let's face it.
Speaker 2: You know, you fall through the cracks, you drop out of school, life is it's not going to work out for you, and chances are going to depend on the system or in one way or the other. And we know what the outcome is. I mean, look at the violence happening in Cincinnati, and you wonder how many of those young lives could have been reached years before if we would have done this. But the good news is we're making progress. So let's talk about the expansion into public schools and the life because I mentioned Woodward and the light bulb went off for I think a lot of people and they heard and this is years ago, and you'd be able to articulate this better than I can, but I recall going, hey, these are kids are like on the margins, probably not doing well. All of a sudden we're teaching the trades, shop class, shop, math and stuff like that, and they went from literally on the borderline of dropping out to being among the best performers in the school in the school itself as far as academics go.
Speaker 10: In twenty seventeen is when we started the program at Woodward and the first eleven students that were put into the program were very high risk. Two of the eleven dropped out of school fairly quick. The other nine continue through the program and graduated four years later. Seven went into the trades, two actually went into nursing, and one of the nine ended up top five of the class academically.
Speaker 5: Cool was that?
Speaker 10: And it was all because of the math program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they could see it now and I think that literally goes. I know it kept getting back to that, but that's a big thing, I think, to get those minds, the hearts and mind change. And then when you see the educators go wow, okay, well maybe we're missing something here. Now it's spread like wildfire.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we started it Woodward and teachers were talking to other teachers at other school systems, and maybe eight years later we're in thirty one school systems. That's unreal throughout Good Ohio and northern So it's making a comeback, but we still have a long way to go, right, Amanda. That's the thing is with the scholarship and the attention, the spirit of Construction Foundation, there's just so much more work.
Speaker 3: So this is just just the start of things.
Speaker 2: I mean, thirty one schools from one is a lot in just a few short years, less than a decade. But you know, you want to see that number in one hundreds, Nowolte, how do you do that?
Speaker 11: Well, one of the ways is that we are making investments in workforce development programs. Specifically, as we've mentioned, we're targeting kids that are in middle school in Northern Kentucky. We supported a program called Trades Northern Kentucky. It started out in Campbell County schools reaching about two hundred and seventy middle schoolers. With our support and matching dollars from BNKY, they're now in Kenton County schools and in Homes Middle school they're reaching over six hundred kids. And that's again providing expose to the students about what is skilled trades, what does a career path look like? And then for the very first time, Trades in Northern Kentucky is having a Skilled Trades Career Fair in April of twenty six And again, we just want to continue to provide exposure to students that, you know, as you guys have talked about our visual learners, maybe not you know, planning on going to college. But we want to tell the kids, but not only the kids, their parents that skilled trades is a viable career path where you can make great money and have a really great future and great career if.
Speaker 1: You pick it.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like because of these students, don't let the student debt and the long crisis and a host of other factors, that parents are starting to maybe wake up that way because on that long ago where and a lot of parents, some parents will still do this. They look at their success as a parent by where the kid goes to college, and not as that's right. I mean, there's still that stigma out there like, oh, my kid doesn't go to college and he or she it's shame and somehow it's shameful, and it's all that's mark getting as all that is, are we starting to win that war of attrition or starting to win that war, that the trades are noble and also a very enriching area.
Speaker 11: To go absolutely, and I think it's all about dollars and cents too. If we can show them that your child can earn to learn through an apprenticeship program, so right out of high school they're making money, they're not encouraging, they're not incurring college debt, and they're making a really great wage. I think that's the story that we have to get to parents that it's it's an exciting, honorable career that a lot of people, you know, find great joy in and it's okay to not go to college. And so not only are we trying to tell the kids that, but we also need to tell their parents that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and hopefully that model is changing that the value of parenthood is not like where my kid went to school, or where I'm going to school, or you know, where the degree is from.
Speaker 3: It's rather fact is like are you being productive? You know, can you.
Speaker 2: Afford a middle class or off puss lifestyle. And a lot of folks who are in the trades right it's like, hey, you know, the light bulb goes off, Like my nephew's in electrical now and I said, you know, when you're my age, though, you want to be the guy who owns the place that is hiring other electricians like John, You're a family business at Valianteer. You know what I'm saying. But how many guys do that? And women now that are learning and becoming masters of what they do, but then branching off and doing their own thing.
Speaker 3: That's American dream.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 10: The stories are numerous, and we at the gala next weekend over thirty years of a Lifetime Achievement Award winners. The stories were all about I had a pickup truck, I went to the banker and got a ten thousand dollars loan and created a you know, a company that hires five hundred people.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: So the stories are endless. It's just, you know, most contractors are very humble and don't toot their horn, and most people don't understand the opportunities that exist within the construction industry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think Jostin for example, and you know the Smithman family, same thing. It's like, hey, we started this thing and they're growing and growing in company. It happens all the time, like these these people will leave, you know, folks will leave a company, or they'll get some experience in trades and wind up doing their own thing and grow, which turns out to be the future companies will be board members and have seats at the table at the future spiritual construction. So it's an awesome thing to see. So, you know, if you have the wherewith all the knowledge a little bit of luck on your side too, you can achieve these great things.
Speaker 3: And there's so many people. That always strikes me that.
Speaker 2: When we do the event, and again it's a twenty fifth and how many people are like, yeah, high school, you don't you know, you don't need a doctorate in construction. I mean, it's nice that we have that stuff right, architectural to grow, Okay, but a lot of those folks are like, yeah, I was swinging a hammer, or I was you know, I was using a shovel, or I was doing heavy equipment and just kind of grew into this thing. And here we are today and now when playing hundreds of people, it's.
Speaker 10: Great and a lot of people, you know, it's it's a very generous group of people. Also, I mean next weekend we're looking at raising and I think one point one million dollars to give back to the trades, right right, and this is all homegrown in Cincinnati companies that are that are supporting what we're doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before you go out to get to plug in real quick for the beer, because that's really, really good. That's one of the coolest partnerships collabs. As a kid say today, Spirit of Construction and Blueprint.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 11: So last spring, this past spring, we launched a beer with Braxton. It's called Braxton Blueprint and proceeds from the sales of the beer actually come back to the Spirit and we're going to reinvest in workforce development. The beer can be found at Kroger, party stores, independent liquor stores. So go out and buy a fifteen pack called Blueprint by braxsild.
Speaker 2: Print by Backs, which by the way, I have a fifty. I have some in my fridge at home for that very reason. Support the cause. And if you see that, go and it's really actually really good Beer's really they BRAC did a great job. We're there for the rollout. Got to get going. But again, I know that the gala is sold up. But congratulations John in your lifetime achievement. It's well deserved. My buddy John Strasser and Amanda Smith, who of course now is the executive director of Spirit Construction Foundation pomping in their gala happens on the twenty fifth, But just wanted to lay out all the great work well as bad news are happening, and this is good news, like this is solving the problem of generational poverty and the problems we face in downtown Cincinnati, but also enabling young people to realize that like hey, listen, not the best epic academic in the orld, but there's a chance for you to be extremely successful in life. It doesn't mean where you go to college. It's just youve got to continue your learning. Some of us learn differently than others, and we'll recognize that. And the growth has been tremendous here in Cincinnati. So really proud of that for you guys. Congratulations and thanks again for coming in.
Speaker 7: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: I have a great weekend. I got to get a news break in. We'll find out what's happening in around the world. Win to return. Austin is here. It's time for a little sports. We'll talk Hooday, Hooday and more. Hooday is the Bengals and we should tip a hat to our brothers and sisters in Cleveland because together we are Ohio strong and Ohio proud. That the Browns may not win a game the rest of the season, but they still beat the Steelers yesterday at pay Course seven hundred WLW. Here we go, Hoo Day Friday, not Monday?
Speaker 3: Who Day Friday?
Speaker 2: On the Home of the Best Bengals coverage, seven hundred WLW. Did you have hope and faith last night? Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty. Was there hope in faith?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 13: Honestly, I don't know that I've I ever really feel that way, to be honest, Like, there were a couple of moments where they had a chance to go win the game on offense, and the first drive they kind of urinated down their leg. The second drive they found a way to go get points. But you know, it's it's the universal, you know, feeling of a Cincinnati sports fan is how is this going to go wrong? And that's kind of what I was feeling, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because that first quarter, right, it's not like the Steelers are light up that the fake flea flicker whatever happened. Who was yelling at his running bags? Communications and interceptions? But you know, at the end of it's still ten nothing Pittsburgh. And on top of that, you know Jamar Chase missus a catch, Brown drops which should have been a thirty yard game. Yosi Vas drops another ball like he's gonna be on bench with Cam Taylor Bread without men, Trey Hendrickson as well. Yeah, no pass rush upsoever. I'm like, oh my god, this is not going to be good. And then all of a sudden, All of a sudden, I think what changed it was. The turning point of this thing is that interception. DK Metcalf goes up for the ball and it was one of the best picks you're going to see by DJ Turner, who's been.
Speaker 13: Having a great year. I would say even the interception before that too.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 13: First play of the drive and Rogers takes a deep shot, and when you really go back and look at that throw, what was throw awful? I can understand, throw it up to your big guy, take a shot on first down, but the throw wasn't even close. Wasn't even a competitive throw from Aaron Rodgers. And to Jordan Battle's credit, he was all over to maximize on a mistake. Bengals get a touchdown immediately Following that, they start to find their rhythm. Then DJ Turner makes that interception you're talking about, which is a ridiculous steal the ball away, get my foot down, falling out of bounds, and the Bengals turn that into points. So it's not often you get two gifts interceptions from Aaron Rodgers, and it's even less often that you turn that into fourteen points.
Speaker 2: That was a key to the game and no help, we're right because Metcalf gets picked by You're right. Battle But then it was Chase Brown had his great run and then t scores. It's like, wait, what just happened? Yeah, the first time to lead since Burrow went down.
Speaker 13: Flipped the switch very quickly and it felt like, Okay, they're taking control a little bit here. They're maximizing on the mistakes of the Pittsburgh Steelers, they're not relying on their defense as much, and they're controlling the clock. And that drive after the first interception where they abro to run the football consistently and drain a little bit of clock and get into the end zone. That was the sign of things to come, and hopefully a sign of things to come for the future, because when you run the football. It opens everything else up. And last night there was a threat of the Bengals being able to run the ball, and because of that, Jamar Chase ran free, t Higgins ran free. Andre Yoshivas had a big thirty nine interception Noah off of a play action late in the game gets them into Pittsburgh territory. It opens up the rest of the offense when you have even the smallest threat of being able to run the ball.
Speaker 2: I know this is kiss Flacco's last day on the show, on it, but we should be because I mean, honestly, you know, here's a guy.
Speaker 3: He's been with them now. Today is the tenth day he's at a Bengal at ten days.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's what thirty one to forty seven last night, three hundred and forty two yards, three touchdowns, not won interception, So he's over five hundred yards, five tds and no iron t's in two games and the quarterback rating over one hundred. That's not just like hey, can they hang around and get it done until Joe one gets back?
Speaker 3: This is like all right, yeah, this is he's really good. This was the vision.
Speaker 13: Like you know, there was a list yesterday that came out of all the different quarterbacks that the Bengals looked at and considered and finally landing on Flacco and looking at that list, I don't know how many of them would be able to do.
Speaker 3: What he did last night.
Speaker 13: He's got this perfect mix of veteran presence, yeah, and is this perfect mix of being aggressive but not reliss and also getting the ball out quickly. It's finding a good completion but also not settling for stuff behind the behind the sticks, Like there were multiple times third and ten or longer where Flacco threw the ball past the first down marker trying to get a first down and completed them. And how many times do we complain about that as Bengals fans. Oh, it's third and ten and you throw a four yard slant and you're putting. Like the aggressiveness from Flacco, I thought did a great job of towing that line. And I think Zach Taylor deserves a lot of credit. I think we'll go ahead. I think Zach Taylor called his best game as a play caller since they beat the Buffalo Bills in the playoffs a couple of years ago. Like he had great feel, he had great balance, Everything worked off of one another. There were RPOs, there were quick game, there was some wrinkles into the run game.
Speaker 3: Zach did a great job. Yeah, I think what on that note two?
Speaker 2: I was like, at the end of the game, that is the greatest call that Taylor's had this season, and that would be bootleg Joe Flacco. And it turns out Flat was like, yeah, I was supposed to yeah, yeah, because this calls it.
Speaker 13: I did that on my own, right what Yeah. I immediately shaped, I thought, what a ball shades of Ryan Finley against the Steelers on a Monday Night a couple of years ago, where he just keeps the ball and runs and basically ice is the game. And I was like, oh my god, they just did the Ryan Finley with Joe Flacco. And then come to find out, Flaco's like, I can't burn a time out, I don't want to take a delay a game.
Speaker 7: Screw it.
Speaker 13: I'll just run it myself, and he did and got twelve dollars. Just like they're looking I forget who which player it was for. They they're bocking and they're pushing there and he's running the other way and he does like the Scooby Doo double takes, like here's Joe crawling like a lot, like just get ten.
Speaker 3: Baby, and that the stadium reaction to that was awesome.
Speaker 5: It was so good.
Speaker 2: People are high five. And then there's hope in Cincinnati once again. Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty on the Show this morning on seven hundred w welw uh. They score on seven eight drives excess and where were you though? Steelers take the late lead and you could almost feel it coming. Yeah, and I'm watching this game and it's like, sure enough. The one drive that they don't score on they give it to Pat Fryerman with about sixty I don't know why he's that open at this point in the game. There's so much on the line and basically walks in the end Z one. They're like second and twenty, I think, with under three minutes left. Yeah, and at the moment, you're like typical Bengals, right, But I didn't think that. I'm I went the minute they score, I looked down at the clock and went, I think we're still gonna win this because you just started.
Speaker 3: A field goal scored a little too quickly.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think it is what it came down to, and it gave the Bengals a chance to run that two minute offense and not get out of contract. They still had time to run the ball, they still had time to do those play actions like they didn't have to just go into a full spread it out work the sideline type of situation where you're relying on on Flacco and your past your pass blockers to really be perf and so because of that, you were able to just kind of operate the offense the way you normally would and the most, you know, the best play of the night was the deep ball to T Higgins and he slides down inside the ten, And that basically number one is respect for Aaron Rodgers. It's also understanding that your defense can't stop anybody, and it keeps you in control of the game and forces Pittsburgh to start using timeouts. It was an unselfish, brilliant play by T.
Speaker 5: Higgins.
Speaker 13: And on top of that, again, I keep going back to the play call. They didn't get conservative in that situation. Zach Taylor's dialing up a deep ball and T Higgins goes and gets it, and.
Speaker 2: He goes sideline. He does that cut in and slides down and makes a great catch. In all the credit the world of a play calling too, But to me, that's the catch of the game because t Higgins could have went in the end zone because he's four yards short of one hundred. Yeah right, and players pay attention, sure, and he's like, no, I gotta go down because we can. I'm gonna make them burn their timeus we're gonna win this football game. And that was like, to me, was selflessness. His te zones overshadowed by Jamar great play, but that was the play of the game for me.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and again, I think it speaks to the culture of Okay, it's really not about anything else, it's about winning. Jamar Chase was asked after the game, you know, would that have been hard for you to do in that moment to slide down, And he's like, no, not if you want to win, Like like there wasn't even a second thought, not even a hesitation, And it made you feel like, Okay, the Bengals are prepared, they understand the situation, they're smart, they are unselfish. Those qualities are all very important in a football team. Now, if they could tackle, that'd be great, right, Well, if they could run the ball more consistently, that'd be great, But in those moments where you got to win the football game by doing the little stuff, they did it right.
Speaker 2: One final point on that too, Austin Elmore is that he is like the He's like the quarterback therapy dog Flacco is in that this team. I look at the beginning of the first started the game, right, Guys are dropping balls. Yoshavakh drops another one, Chase had an easy catch across the middle, even Chase dropped one. Guys are jumping off sides. But all through the game he had this common presence like he was never rattled, you know, even it was under pressure, he'd get rid of the ball, make great choices, and it's almost like you could see this time teams starting to believe, like, hey, you know what what happened in the second half in Green Bay where we started to come back. That's carrying over to this game and we're starting to believe. Whereas I look at the other side and Aaron Rodgers kind of a dick. I mean, he's you know, he's he's like yelling is the flea fucker player Yellow is running Like every time someone go rug, you'd be yelling at people like I don't I'm not going to kill myself for this guy's a jerk, whereas Flack was like, it's we got.
Speaker 3: This, it's flying, take it easy.
Speaker 2: Even the two, you know, the drive at the end of the game is like never looked like, oh my god, we gotta get down the field.
Speaker 3: Sometimes Burrow would do that.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is like, there's this dad influence over this team right now, and maybe that's what they needed.
Speaker 13: I do think that there's probably something to that, like the whole Dad influence to it of like, fine, this is the I've There's there's no situation that Joe Flacco hasn't seen in the NFL as experienced.
Speaker 3: There's no pressure. I played in Cleveland, It's fine.
Speaker 13: I played with the Colts, the Broadcos, the Ravens, the Browns.
Speaker 3: It's fine. I've been here and done this.
Speaker 13: And Jamar Chase kind of talked about that afterwards too, calling him like Joe calm instead of Joe cool, and how his facial expression just never changed, and you know, much like a lot of Bengals fans in that moment are feeling, okay, here it goes unraveled.
Speaker 3: We thought when scores like here we go.
Speaker 13: Joe Flacco in that moment is like, Okay, we're gonna go win the game, and here's how we're gonna do.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 13: And you know, I think I think Burrow has that trade as well, which is what makes him great. I think all the great quarterbacks have that, even Rogers. Rogers I think was frustrated last night because I don't think he performed to his standard. And you know, the the flea flicker play was a miscommunication. The deep ball to DK Metcalf was a bad throw, The interception to DJ Turner was just unlucky, and all of a sudden, Rogers is like, what do I got to do here?
Speaker 3: To work?
Speaker 13: And then the deep ball to friar Mouth. I don't know if you saw this. He's running off the field celebrating doing his thing and his tackle. Roderick Jones comes over to celebrate with him and kind of like tackles him and brings him down to the ground, and Rogers gets up matter in a wet hornet shoves him and it's like basically giving him you mf or why you tackling me? After a touchdown and just kind of bad vibes from Rogers last the Achilles.
Speaker 3: And stuff and that tush bush. He wasn't even in the same time zone.
Speaker 5: No, no.
Speaker 13: Bit of an old dude that had to play on a Thursday night past his bedtime.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, it's a little cranky.
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Austin Elmore from ESPN fifteen thirty jumping this morning. The big Bungal went last night, and tired and happy is better than tired and pissed off because that could have went that way with the Steelers taking a lead at the end of the game. But you mentioned, you know, there's it's as good as it was. We should celebrate this because, I mean, let's face it, the offensive line did what they had to do. Uh, guys were showing up doing their jobs. I thought that, you know, I mentioned Turner Hill. I thought they played a great game. But it's not like it's perfect by any means. You mentioned the tackling thing. I'm sick for the puck. I love hockey, so I started watching hockey this week. I'll tell you what, there's some Bengals players that would be better at hockey than tackling because they were checking guys they weren't tackling.
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah, I'm going through my notes again right now, and I have first drive, missed tackles, second drive, miss tackles, third drive, more miss tackles, fourth drive. These guys can't tackle, can't tackle, and you know, it just kept so many drives alive for Pittsburgh. It kept them on the field. And this is the basic stuff we're talking about, like can you get to the point of attack and wrap up why? And everybody on that defense struggles to get it.
Speaker 2: I mean, you guys, you know, yards after initial contact they got to be the worst than the leak they are.
Speaker 13: That's actually you know, going into last night, that was one of the stats it was in Why I thought it could get ugly for the Bengals was because the Steelers led the NFL and yards after catch going into last night, and the Bengals were the worst in the NFL allowing yards after catch going into last night. Now, they did keep things in front of them for the most part, and they did a good job of swarming to the ball, but it rarely, rarely felt like the first guy brought the guy down to the ground, and that sort of stuff you just can't allow to happen. Honest to god, I believe if Pittsburgh wanted to. They could have run that toss play to the right every single play and won the game. Because you're getting guys out in space, you're making them you know, one on one situations and forcing them to tackle, and you're beating them to the to the edge. Pittsburgh had a really good game plan too, because they just used the boundary, use the sideline, get their guys out of space until until the Bengals proved that we can you know, they can tackle them.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna keep doing.
Speaker 2: The Bengals run defense was terrible again, So and that's something got to Clint. Just gash right, But hey, take the win, get a momentum on your side. I don't know if you can fix the things we just talked about and how you fix the tax.
Speaker 13: Here's the thing you got to understand. Tackling like that again, the New York Jets that will get you beat. Everybody is already saying, oh, well, we got the Jets coming to town and they're win.
Speaker 5: Listen.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah blah blah. Doesn't matter, you know.
Speaker 13: Twenty nineteen, Zach Taylor's first year as the Bengals head coach, the Bengals I think were oh and eleven or oh to twelve, and the Jets came to town and the Bengals whooped their ass because the jets didn't play clean football. Zach Taylor's first career win. Same situation here Aaron Glenn, first time head coach with the New York Jets.
Speaker 3: He's coming in.
Speaker 13: Those dudes are mad, they've been embarrassed, they've lost some games they should have won, and here come the Bengals off of this big high of a Thursday.
Speaker 3: Night win trap game.
Speaker 13: If you tackle the way that you tackled, or if you attempt to tackle the way that you tackled against Pittsburgh Steelers, you will get beat by the New York Jets. You cannot do that. That has to get cleaned up. I don't know how to fix that.
Speaker 2: And we and we've been talking about all season over three seasons. I don't know how you do it either, honestly clean that up and just how what they are they can't tackle.
Speaker 13: Yeah, you know, the biggest culprit to me is Demetrius Night, junior rookie linebacker. Everyone talks about how fast he is and how physical he is, but he never plays under control, and I would like to see him play under control and get to the point of attack. I don't know if he can be that player. Can he play fast and under control? And you know, if he is under control, is he quick enough to compete in the NFL.
Speaker 3: It's a major issue, all right.
Speaker 2: Today at noon, it's Austin Elmore in ESPN fifteen thirty. What he got Who talked to Charlie Goldsmith, he was there last night. We'll get his perspective, reaction from the locker room, what Joe Flacco and Jamar Chase had to say, and so much more. It's a Friday football frenzy.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 2: Victory for the best thing out of this whole thing. The best thing I know I were late. The best thing out of this whole thing was the fact that Cleveland has been through.
Speaker 3: Twenty five quarterbacks.
Speaker 2: I wonder what they were twenty years and like he was in, Coaches Tomlins all pissed off about him to a division rifle and then Joe Flacco does that last night. Cleveland beat the beat the Steelers last night without even playing him. That's what happened, was a clean sweep. Be'st State of Ohio give him another win, Give him another win in the division. Give him another win Austin. Appreciate you. Home of the best Bengals coverage seven hundred WW Cincinnati, So only on.
Speaker 14: Seven hundred WWIM looking forward to maybe some rain this weekend because in my state right now, with my ankle surgery, because I had a little bit of a bone that was sticking out that caused they tendon to rupture, I'd have that shaved down.
Speaker 2: I'm in an ankle boot and crutches and a scooter for the foreseeable week, at least hopefully less than a week. We'll find out why is that? Well, once you hit your fifties, your good friend osteoarthritis comes into play. All those issues. When you're in your forties, you go, oh man, what is that? Why does that hurt? When your thirties, you go, what's that creaking noise? In your twenties, you're doing all the stuff that causes where you get to where I am today, and you're popping advil like they're freaking baltoids like back in the day. Buddy, good news though we have made some inroads into how to treat this and joining the show this morning from OHC on the west side. There's also one in Kenwood too, is doctor Matthew Burtke, with some interesting developments in treating arth writ stock. Good morning, How are you.
Speaker 9: I'm doing well?
Speaker 7: How about yourself?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good.
Speaker 2: I wish I would have known this a while ago, although the treatment you're going to talk about is relatively new. So you know, I had a shoulder, my joint replaced on my shoulder. I just had my ankle done. So I wish I could go back in time and have this ready for me, that's for sure.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately, you're not alone there. It's a pretty common tang.
Speaker 2: I had fun weirded out, at least I did that. So let's talk about this. If you have that kind of pain and you're like, wow, my joint, my knee hurts my generally it's knee, wrist, hand, arm, back, shoulder. Certainly, it happens and presents all over the body. So I'm here about rollodiverse radiation. Of course, I'm thinking about the Manhattan Project, and I'm going, well, I know radiation is bad for me. Isn't it even low doses? Isn't it doesn't it add up in your body? Is there a concern that this could wind up causing more problems down the line, like speaking of which of cancers and the like, because you're being exposed to radiation, how does that work?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a great question to ask, and you know, was one of the things that kept us from kind of doing this on a more widespread scale and till more recently, mostly because of that public procession out of the risk. Now, I think the key is the low dose. When we talk about low dose radiation therapy, we're talking about much much lower doses than we use to treat say cancer, for instance, and at these very low doses, there have been no proven side effects in terms of you know, secondary cancers or other risks to the tissues in that area, just because of the very low nature of radiation. So whereas it's something that we certainly worry about when we're giving higher doses for something like cancer, this is kind of a very different topic.
Speaker 2: How much different Let's say, you know, comparatively, speaking for the lay person, doctor, would the difference between let's say typical X ray or imaging versus this treatment.
Speaker 9: So this is more on the order of a typical X ray or cat scan, except we're targeting a smaller part of the body. So when we think about radiational we have to think about not the more much we give, but where we're giving it. And giving a small ghost of radiation to a knee is a lot less risky than giving a whole body cat scan with contrast, so you know, this this is a treatment that has kind of low risk on the level of the standard imaging that you think about going into the hospital for.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's probably like a I don't know, said the lice, but stereotactic, So it's really it's directed towards that particular joint, not the whole body.
Speaker 9: Correct. Yeah, so this is targeted. We focus on the joint and the whole joint space and not just that bone on bone like you were talking about before, but kind of all the fluid that surrounds the joint because it works as an anti inflammatory, so you know, kind of like you think of your your advils, your leaves, things like that that are meant to be anti inflammatory. Well, this does it kind of on a on a different kind of cellular level and targeting all those inflammatory you know, tissues and cells within that joint space to kind of turn that inflammation down. That's that's how this works.
Speaker 2: Interesting, So the cells, the leucas, it's all that technical microfages and all that technical stuff that that's activated. Basically it does it temporarily bock that pathway what's going on inside my body.
Speaker 7: With that, So.
Speaker 9: It works on a level that is going to give you, most likely more longer lasting pain relief than you know, something like a topical gel or a pill that you take. Those anti inflammatories are only working for on the order of a few hours. Most of most of our patients that perceive this treatment get pain relief anywhere on the order of you know, six months to two years or longer in terms of how how durable the treatment is.
Speaker 2: Interesting. Doctor Matthew Burkey is on. He's a radiation oncologist at o HC and new therapy out for those who suffer from ostiarthritis, which is like, well pretty much anyone over the age of forty five. I think everyone's up. We're beating a hell of ours. Well we're you know, I mean, we're exercising more. People are more active, younger people especially, But you know, I watch people do CrossFit and stuff like that, and I try to remain very active myself. And it's funny because you know, the train year of somebody will tell you is like it's just pain, is just temporary, like not not when you're past fifty, it's pretty permanent.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna let you know.
Speaker 2: All the stuff you do now you think it's good for your body, You're gonna wind, You're gonna wear out some joints, and that's that's true. We're living longer too, So this arthritis and austri arthritis especially is absolutely booming and that's not a good thing. But low dose radiation therapy l d RT is what it's called.
Speaker 3: They do that at OHC.
Speaker 2: And I guess anyone over that age do you have to be presenting with symptoms? You know, if you say, am I shoulder hurts a little bit? Who's what's the range of I guess the typical patient that's indicated for Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 9: So you know, now every patient's different, obviously, but typically patients that we consider for this treatment are, you know, over the age of forty five and they have you know, persistent arthritis pain in you know, either a single or multiple joints, and typically they've already tried some more conservative measures you know, like the rest or rehab. They've tried the topical pain relievers like the gels or the anti inflammatory pills, and then kind of along the same pathway where maybe you'd be considering joint injections or things like that. That's when you can start considering lotus radiation for arthritis relief before you get to the stage of requiring surgery. So it kind of it kind of fits in that same realm of you know, when you would be thinking about doing joint injections and you're kind of tired of popping those at.
Speaker 7: Bill got you.
Speaker 2: So for someone like me, where there's no differentiation between the ball and the socket and I don't find my humor is very funny, by the way, you can't fix that well.
Speaker 9: So I wouldn't say that because I do have some patients that for whatever reason aren't able to get a surgery, and they already do have you know, dramatic wear and tear on their joint to where they're bone on bone, and they do get relief, but sometimes that relief is not as long lasting because you can cause more inflammation quickly when there's bone on bone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense, all right, So how long does the procedure take? How many treatments do I need? What does that course?
Speaker 9: So, depending on the situation, we typically do between five and eight treatments of radiation. Each one is quite quick. It only lasts maybe five to ten minutes each session. There's nothing that you see or feel during radiation. It's kind of like a chest X ray or a cat stand. You're kind of laying there on a table and the machine's moving around you doing its thing, but the radiation itself is invisible and it's being targeted precisely at that joint while you're just laying there relaxed.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that makes sense. So do you start to notice results right away? And how does that work?
Speaker 9: Most of the patients that I've treated start seeing results about halfway through their course of radiation, so maybe two or three treatments in, but a lot of times we see the biggest relief in the weeks after we're done that kind of delayed inflammatory blockage.
Speaker 2: Boy, it seems like this is the tip of the iceberg. I mean, how long ago this was this discovered? And I imagine know you're probably treating patients for tumors and things, and all of a sudden, Hey, by the way, this doesn't hurt anymore. And you know, often a medicine or a treatment is indicated for something else and you wind up going a whole different direction, right.
Speaker 3: I mean, it seems like.
Speaker 2: Every drug we have is like, well, it was for this, but it turns out it's going to fix something else.
Speaker 9: For sure, And that kind of is how it first got developed. But this has actually been around for decades and it's in much more popular use in other parts of the world, in Europe and Germany for instance. You know, a large chunk of the radiation treatments they do are for benign conditions like arthritis or planet fasciatus rather than for cancer. It's just not been as popular in America, mostly because those you know, radiation safety concerns, like we talked about earlier in our conversation. And as we've kind of proven some of those you know to be uh, you know, not as big of a risk as you know originally was thought, a lot of us are trying to roll it out to the public to try to help more people here in America.
Speaker 2: Obviously, every drug, every procedure and intervention isn't always successful. We know that you're not going to bat a thousand here, and I bet, but in this case, what what typically can I expect?
Speaker 9: So most of the data that you look at will show about a three out of four success rate in terms of uh, you know, noticeable pain relief where patients either require less medication or non medication or you know, are dramatically improved in terms of their pain. Our results have been similar to that, maybe a little bit higher, maybe more like.
Speaker 5: Four out of five.
Speaker 9: But you know, the the response rates have been really really reassuring to see, and you know it, it's been something where even some of my patients that were you know, self admitted doubters of the treatment that we're kind of at their end of their end of their rope and we're decided that they were going to give anything a shot, have been pleasantly surprised at the response they've gotten.
Speaker 2: This sounds like it's it's more successful than you know. For example, a knee joint, a lot of people are doing the knee gel injected, the Visco supplementation, I think is what it's called knee jael. That this is more successful than that, I would.
Speaker 9: Say that they're pretty similar. It's it's hard to compare the two because I don't have a clinical trial of the point two that directly compares them. But I think our experience in terms of the benefit that we gets helped prior to the knee injections. In my personal experience, I think the duration or how long the treatment lasts, tends to be a little bit more of a durable or longer lasting treatment with the radiation compared to some of the knee injections, especially once you've done injections a few times, they sometimes kind of just wear off in terms of their effectiveness to do them over and over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, well, I mean see or did you get three bites of the apple and that's it? So this is the more extreme version of that, and I think it is. But this has got to show promise in a bunch of other areas as well when it comes to long lasting pain relief, right, definitely.
Speaker 9: So arthritis is you know, a big one, and obviously, like you mentioned, it affects the majority of people that are a little bit older, but other other things too, planet fasciatus and other more inflammatory related things can also be treated with the same technique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very interesting. If only I could target that at people that caused me pain in problems.
Speaker 3: That would be awesome too.
Speaker 9: I'll work on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get on that.
Speaker 2: I don't know what you're doing this weekend, but I want to try to be more efficient here. Doctor Matthew Bertie is a radio radiation on colleges. He's at OHC I believe in the West Side, and we're talking about low dose rt l d RT low dose radiation therapy, which has been used in Europe for a while. It's been cleared here in the United States. People are a little leery about it, probably because they're talking about radiation. But we're seeing long lasting results for or osteoarthritis. So you've got knee or joint or back pain or elbow pain, whatever it is. And once you start to get in your forties, you start to learn about our good friend arthritis. And then when you're broke down an old like me, then you have to start getting joints replaced. This this won't stop that though, Right this, if you're doing something wrong or you're just inclined to osteoarthritis, my family is and that's why I am where I am. Uh, this isn't going to reverse anything, right, This is just a pain.
Speaker 9: Relief, that's correct. Yeah, it's not. It's not going to build back the cartilage or build back any of the structure. And unfortunately, you know, wearing tear is a fact of life on the human body. But we're basically trying to slow down the inflammation and you know, slow down that rated decline and you know, maybe you know, put off the need for a surgery so longer in the future, or you know, prevent it altogether if possible.
Speaker 2: Well, not only that, I'm you know, people have cringey a little bit about radiation, and I get that, but in low doses it's we're not seeing long term effects and the build up in your box. But the other element, there's a clear and present ageous we know about opioid addiction, and this, to me is a much better alternative than getting on some sort of prescriptive medicine that could lead and ultimately cause my death or you know, imprisonment. God only knows what will happen, And there's a lot of horror stories about that. I don't want to get Most people hear oxyconton are like, I don't want anything to do with it. This seems like a reasonable non addictive habit forming alternative that's you don't have to take every day.
Speaker 9: For sure, And you know, I'd certainly encourage people to try things like the anti inflammatory medications if that's something that their doctor recommends. But the opiate medications are kind of a whole other class that you know, has kind of rightly gotten a little bit more of a concerning connotation in the public and something that you know, I think we should be rightly cautious of. And obviously radiation is not something that has addictive potential or some of the other bad effects that you can see with opiates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is this uncovered by insurance? That's probably the other big question people as it is.
Speaker 9: So it's covered by Medicare, it's covered by private insurance. It's in their guidelines in terms of it being a safe and approved effective treatment. So we have not had any issues in terms of, you know, insurance approvals or problems like that.
Speaker 2: All right, Doctor Matthew Bertkey at OHCOH West, specifically as where your practice is located as a radiation and collogists and the benefit of low dose radiation therapy for joint pain. That's incredible, Hey, thanks for joining really interesting stuff. And I appreciate you coming.
Speaker 3: On this morning.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: I don't know if this is.
Speaker 2: An appropriate topic for a friend, quite honestly. Although you know you got to get out this weekend. The weather is not going to be the best for getting out and doing so. But man, we have a stretch of let's face it, you know we've got a little rank coming this weekend. It's not gonna wash everything out by any means, but yeah, we had an incredible stretch of weather right now. People are getting and doing stuff. And you know, when you're younger, you fall, you hurt yourself out. Look at the game last night, players getting injured right in the like, and you know the stuff you do at this age when you're younger, in your twenties, the bill comes due in your forties and fifties.
Speaker 3: That's just the nature of it.
Speaker 2: So you know two schools I thought, don't do anything and die from well some illness, or do everything and get joints replaced in your bones ground down as I'm going through. So at some point the bill comes due, regardless for you are busy or you're not busy. So and then there's a lucky few freaks out there that can run marathons in their nineties. For crying out loud, you're a freak and no one likes you. We'll do a news update and when we switch it up, plenty to do, plenty to see, plenty to drink and eat. Ali Martin, our friend is here. It's the Local Loop. What's happening in and around Cincinnati. No football this weekend here locally, although I should say, you know, we got bear cats and that's all good, although they're on the road, so nonetheless, you know you look for something to do, we got you covered straight ahead on this Friday morning.
Speaker 3: I'm scott'sloan. This is seven hundred W O.
Speaker 6: Them dot, don't don't dot.
Speaker 7: The weekends coming on and you need to make the most of it. Where to go and what to do.
Speaker 10: She has to gipsent insight to help you make it us super weekend.
Speaker 7: So listen up. This is the Local Loop with Ali Martin on seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 3: That happy music and intro means Ali Martin is here.
Speaker 2: Because that also means it's Friday, which is criticals little nappy kind of day today because you stay up late to watch the Bengals game.
Speaker 3: Just got a little nappy in their future today.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm happy.
Speaker 6: I think I've got some energy from the game. I don't think I need an app.
Speaker 2: How many times have we stand late to watch the Bengals and you feel like crap because they lost embarrassingly? So sorrows away because when they SCOI it, when Fried with it that long touchdown at sixty air and I'm like, I stayed up for this.
Speaker 1: Well then Flacco coming in clutch.
Speaker 3: Coming in clutch quick.
Speaker 2: But I looked at the clock after Kliams, I'm like, Michelle was like, oh man, they're gonna lose this. I'm like, I don't know, Flacco is gonna They got a lot of time left.
Speaker 6: I love seeing, first of all, the face off of these two quarterbacks where you have Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flacco the senior quarterback rolling through.
Speaker 1: But it was so good. It was so good.
Speaker 6: They're shake at the end, and he seemed calm, cool and collected the whole time.
Speaker 2: He really did, and he kind of knew it too. He's just like icy and icy hot, but icy cold maybe Joe cool.
Speaker 3: Two point zero.
Speaker 2: Because Rogers goes on the fields, they score, they go ahead and then you look at it go wait, this is Joe Flacco, not like you feel like he's gonna go hey, okay, hold my insure and they go down the field and.
Speaker 6: There was just something about the plays just looked really clean, and they looked really quick, quick snack.
Speaker 2: There's some things they still can't tackle and the can't really get to the quarterback.
Speaker 3: But you know what I.
Speaker 1: Think, right now, we just need an embrace a win.
Speaker 2: The ovisional win, and I know plans are like we have, but they won, and they won in a great fashion, in a.
Speaker 6: Great fashion at home against his dealers, and I feel like, right now, this is such a this is that was to me, it was a really crucial game because of just where we are in the season and if we would have lost.
Speaker 2: That and not that we need that's like the positive news are we now? Because had the Bengals lost, the other big story that we're over Shado probably is another fatal shooting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, downtown, how tired are you?
Speaker 2: Like literally right at right outside? Well, I'm from a great American there more but right off the gam like two am.
Speaker 1: And are you talking about all of them?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been a little bit it's exhausting, it really is. That's why you're here this morning. Because we don't talk about the heavy stuff on Friday. We took up with the fun stuff to do. Give me something fun to do.
Speaker 6: Well, speaking about throwing long passes down a field, how about throwing paper planes in a brewery.
Speaker 3: They're having a paper plane battle. Listen to this.
Speaker 6: Okay, so it's called a paper plane derby, and it's not this Tuesday's two tuesdays from now at Ryan Guys.
Speaker 1: So October twenty eighth.
Speaker 6: Why are we tell this now because only twenty people are able to participate, and the sign ups are now, and if you don't participate, it's gonna be fun to watch no matter what. So there's twenty allotted spots, so sign up now. Where this is going is Cincy Scoop is partnering with Ryan Geist, which is a really really great space to do this in, and they're having this paper plane competition and the top three people are gonna get really cool prizes, nice and to lay on the plane. What you're gonna do is you're gonna roll up. You're gonna register. So register now. If you go to Cincy Scoops and you check out their channel, which is really great on Instagram. Yeah, it'll have a link to the event. You can sign up that way. But you'll roll up at five. It's five thirty to eight thirty. Register at five thirty, and then you have an hour to build your paper plane, so you don't get to go out and row the hour, only an hour. An hour to build your paper plane, hang out, drakes of beer whatever. So then you start throwing at six thirty to take an hour to bid? Do I mean you have to show up your bilding folding.
Speaker 3: It's a sheet. It's like an eight x ten notebook.
Speaker 1: Science.
Speaker 3: Okay, well that's a science. This is sciety. I want a couple of these, have you?
Speaker 5: Yes? I have?
Speaker 1: Why does that not surprise me?
Speaker 3: Love paper planes.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that story here in a second.
Speaker 2: I'm majored in that that teacher's talking to make a paper airplane.
Speaker 1: That and making ramen out of a coffee pot.
Speaker 5: H I got it.
Speaker 2: That's my job. That's what I do. That's my contribution. I'm behind the scenes guy here.
Speaker 1: The DIY have.
Speaker 3: Right, nice? So there's prizes, it's yes, go.
Speaker 1: And hang out.
Speaker 6: I think it's gonna be a lot of fun. You know, if you're not participating, it's a free event. Drinks of beer, cheer on some people. Yeah, so you'll go. If you are participating, again, register now. You'll have an hour whenever after you register till six point thirty to build your plane. And then you're gonna have two chances. And it's whoever and you're throwing it too, So whoever goes the furthest.
Speaker 1: Wins and you're gonna have different rounds in different series.
Speaker 2: That's tough because the bro you got all those cross drafts and things. Yeah, be really careful.
Speaker 6: Really, they have those big ass I know.
Speaker 2: It's like, well they'll have those offices. You wouldn't go very far and you got a chance. Well, I mean twenty it seems like a lot of people are gonna register and they just draw twenty names.
Speaker 6: Well, so they have it's the first twenty two register. That's why I'm talking about it right now. But I think it could still be a really fun event to go to. And here's my thing. If I were to be rolling in the aisles of staples, you know there are different weights of paper.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 7: What's the weight?
Speaker 2: You gotta get the right weight you can't really use like cardboard. But then I got, you know, good old that maybe just a little heavier bond than notebook paper. Seems to you got a little stiffness with a rigidity, but you got you got the weight factor.
Speaker 1: Too, And how many different ways can you find?
Speaker 3: Also, what's the humidity in that room? You gotta look at that.
Speaker 2: In the temperature, those are big factors there, prevailing winds, cross breezes. You've got a lot going on there. How many people if.
Speaker 1: You have condensation from the beer on the glass on your.
Speaker 2: Hands, gonna throw things off, really off, throw off your throat.
Speaker 3: A lot of improblems. You got a factor in there.
Speaker 2: This is life or death here, missus ge aviation. All right, so that's a couple of weeks away. What do we got closer though?
Speaker 6: All right, well to just launch off the weekend.
Speaker 1: We've got the Cincinnati Cyclones.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 6: They're back, looking forward to that starting tomorrow, their big home opener against.
Speaker 1: The Wheeling West Virginia Nailers.
Speaker 6: Uh and the first five thousand Cyclones fans, they're gonna get a calendar. So that's gonna be their giveaway, their season calendar. I'm sure they donna have two dollars hot.
Speaker 3: Dogs, all right, all right, and beer.
Speaker 1: Okay, it starts at seven thirty at It's bank. Let's go, let's go trying to drop the puck.
Speaker 2: I love it hockey seasons. Here is watching some puck the other night, as a matter of fact, So I love this. I love this Tammy year.
Speaker 1: And it's cuffing season.
Speaker 3: Well, I was gonna ask you something else about the arena. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Oh god.
Speaker 3: So one of the top is this week was hey, the.
Speaker 2: Arena, And now all of a sudden, out of nowhere, Msa says, you know, I think on second, remember the review, we can probably put it where the old arenas. Seems like somebody, I don't know, being Italian, maybe predisposed to this, but it's like somebody may be made like, yeah, you know, we're gonna put the arena where in the old spot is? Why do you figure out how to make it work? Why do you do a study and come up with what we want? Because there's a lot of money down on the banks and people want to but but also like, okay, well then you got to blow up Heritage Bank Center. So then where does a clon where would the Clones play for probably two seasons?
Speaker 1: What is sports plus?
Speaker 2: You can't yeah play the sports plus. My nephew played hockey and been tons of games at sports plus. You can get like a hundred people there. Maybe could you do it ross a river at in northern Kentucky?
Speaker 1: Where?
Speaker 3: Maybe could you do?
Speaker 2: You have to bring portable ice. I suppose you can lay that surface down anywhere.
Speaker 6: Could you change Great American into a No. I don't think they're going to create a bubble somehow. There's a clearly enough field. You know how Cincinnatians are with weather the big NHL game outside.
Speaker 3: One game in every game.
Speaker 1: This could be our time to make the news.
Speaker 6: If we want Cincinnati on the map, we need to see the dedication of these fans. We're gonna build an ice rink a Great American and we're gonna have a season long of games outside.
Speaker 2: I thought, least you know people are shaking their head gun but never mind well at any of them.
Speaker 3: Of course, of.
Speaker 2: Course you want to. I guess you could just leave the rink up at Funtain Square.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's a dumb idea.
Speaker 3: We're on these skating three guys. We're to have a Fountain Square.
Speaker 1: I think we can figure it out.
Speaker 3: That's gonna be one on one hockey.
Speaker 1: What other indoor or.
Speaker 2: Well you've got North Northlanders up there. But again, these are these are just you know, they're sheets. I would have to say you'd probably have to do it in northern Kentucky would be the only place. I can't think anywhere someone said, well i'll have it up in date and you can play a date and like it's too fie.
Speaker 6: That is the tricky part of this because that location truly is ideal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, in order to to make it.
Speaker 2: Happen, all right, but that's again future stuff like paper airplanes. Yeah, you said coffing season is you know, it means right that you meet up with someone and then you break up by right after a Valentuch.
Speaker 6: It's really the convenience of weather, as we just said, as it starts to get cooler in October, it's probably like October to February.
Speaker 1: If you're getting lonely, you know, the days are.
Speaker 2: Shorter, like a booty call with a little bit more romances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with a little bit more romance.
Speaker 6: But where it gets tricky is if you decide to pair up with someone that you're like, well, the holidays are here, but you're.
Speaker 1: Not good enough to take around the family.
Speaker 6: You can figure that out, but you can lay those logistics out early. It's cuffing season, but you could take your plus one to the Cyclones game or maybe a pumpkin Fest because that's also.
Speaker 1: Happening this weekend.
Speaker 6: Braxton h pretty much every year they launched their pumpkin beer and they par they pair with graters and so they're doing it's called Pumpkin Patch and it's limited supply, so all weekend long. And this is the Braxton in Covington, seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth and they're having things going on all weekend.
Speaker 3: Have you heard of I do enjoy the beers this time?
Speaker 5: You like that.
Speaker 2: I like the pumpkin EA beer, some blueberry and yeah, I'm not a big is this craft beer guy? No, I don't mind it.
Speaker 3: They're pretty good actually. And then there was some of the winter loggers and stuff.
Speaker 6: Is this an age thing because just a couple of years ago it's pretty anti flavor beers.
Speaker 2: No, No, And I'm like an anti flavor bit it's not my preference. I My go to would just be a can of bring it over like the culture or something. Yeah, but I mean yeah, like I wouldn't sit there and wow, I'm going to drink two or three of these. I mix it up a little bit, but something by a yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah, like the Bourbon Out beer that's pretty good.
Speaker 3: The Crisp Bear Yeah.
Speaker 6: With Akin Ale and this is your time Braxton Grater's collab. So if you head over, if you're in Comington today, actually in particular, would be a great day to go because have you ever heard of Wicked Designs? So, oh my gosh, you got to check him out on social somewhere. This is the guy that carves crazy, elaborate pumpkin designs.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like I've seen those guys before, like before they intro to the football game and they have yeah and.
Speaker 6: Then Michael Pumpkin, yes your face and looks identical to your face. So he's going to be there today from six to nine doing pumpkin carvings.
Speaker 1: They're gonna have live music all weekend long.
Speaker 6: And then they're gonna do a pino pellette pino Pellette pumpkin painting station. Say that ten times past Saturday from noon to four. So that's just like a fun daytime thing, a little Sunday Funday. So the Braxton Brewing Company com confess over in cof Covington.
Speaker 1: Check it out. Also, if you're in Commington, are you are you a tea drinker at all?
Speaker 3: That really maybe iced tea?
Speaker 1: Have you had Macha?
Speaker 3: That's the one the looks like it's it's very green, h okay? Is that what? I don't even know what that is? My daughter loves that.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh my god, I Maacha with stuff with It's like dessert with tea in it.
Speaker 3: That stuff a Mason that does that. It's the Parisian slash Vietnamese bakery.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's okay.
Speaker 6: The americanized version of it is turning it into a latte and dumping a whole bunch of sugar into it. But at its core, Macha is a green tea. It's a powdered green tea. But where I'm going with this? Also in Covington, Uh, there's a place called Little Macha that opened up and it was a really popular pop up spot for a long time and they finally got a brick and mortar and it's right by Smoke Justice, So it's new development area. Yeah, Asian known and sourced from small farms in Japan, and they serve three different types, three or four different types of tea. They do Macha, Hochi, jaw, and then Jen Macha. I have not had the or the gen mancha, but a lot of people know macha. So it's a finely powdered green tea and you like, crush it up, give me some Lipton, it's good. Here's the thing, and then you get sweeten it up. You can put it like cream, cream and sugar and turn it into a latte and do the whole thing. You can also make it. They do these macha classes, which is fun. But I'm bringing this up too because holidays are right around the corner, and if you know somebody that enjoys tea, they do little gift sets and things like that.
Speaker 1: That could be a good idea.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so maybe grandma.
Speaker 1: Or your mom.
Speaker 3: All right, and put that down from Michelle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, there's a lot of good health benefits.
Speaker 1: So cold, it's chilly, and it's good for brain functions.
Speaker 3: Surely I have a nice cup of tea.
Speaker 2: Come on, my mom was a nice cup of tea. Late I'm a nice cup of tea.
Speaker 1: Tea is good for you.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it's not that.
Speaker 2: Once in a great while, maybe I'll have some tea especially okay, like maybe it's late afternoon. I got my caffeine cut off about four o'clock, yep, and so it's like, yeah, I need something more. My dcaf tea they're a lot more decaff toffee.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't have a teacher.
Speaker 2: I look at a box of tea's in there, and I look through and I go, I'm looking for the one that's caffeine free and whatever looks caffeine free.
Speaker 3: Like I think this is caffeine free.
Speaker 2: I have that one, yeah, yeah, or like I don't know cinnamon or I know that, like black tea is not to make this racist, but the black tea's got a lot of caffeine in it.
Speaker 3: I don't know about the white tea.
Speaker 1: Is there white tea?
Speaker 2: The macha, I don't know about that. I'm like green tea has a little caffeine.
Speaker 3: I think. I think I don't know.
Speaker 1: The green teas where it's at.
Speaker 3: It's good. I'm just looking for straight up decaf.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 2: When I drink tea, it's going to be like a decaf or if I'm sick, you gotta tea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's the it's the ginger lemon ones for me because it.
Speaker 3: Helps your throat to orange water.
Speaker 1: Something that's good for you. Okay, there you go, little Macha.
Speaker 6: So if you're over there and then maybe pop over to smoke Justin's and have a bourbon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at the end of the day, we do have of that, now, don't you're Macha Bourbon Perry. Yeah, yeah, matcha. Somebody's gonna do that at some point. Somebody like a white tea cocktail. I've seen those before. I had one, but oh.
Speaker 1: You know what, you actually bring a really good point.
Speaker 6: Some of my favorite cocktails over the last year or so are the ones who start and have a base of tea.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Michelle had one the other day. I don't forget where where it was, but I knew it had tea in it.
Speaker 1: Hot to.
Speaker 15: I don't know, this is hot, Toddy, we're approaching hot. Yeah, you need the bourbon up. Doesn't that get rid of the alcohol? What's the point?
Speaker 6: No, because you you make the tea first. It's fine. It's tea and bourbon.
Speaker 3: No, I'm just drinking the bourbon. I'm not drinking.
Speaker 2: Bourbon coffee, Macha bourbon.
Speaker 3: I'm like, no, I just give it a bourbon.
Speaker 1: Maybe we'll do a warm like a warm bourbon cocktail.
Speaker 3: The bourbon tea. Just hold the bird, hold the tea. I just I'll just take the bourbon.
Speaker 2: Ali Martin at the Local Loop of course, check out her YouTube channel to the Local Loop and also at Ali Martine on social She's always got stuff going on over there. All right, you have a great weekend, always good catching up who day and think about your paper airplane design. I will yeah, engineering mind going, Oh yeah, that's what I would be. I think exactly all right, So lots of fun stuff is always with al. Thanks again, appreciate you. We got to get Willy on the way in just a few minutes. He'll be wrapping up the big Bengals went last night, And of course we've got news on the way in just a few minutes. A fatal shooting last night, and that would be overshadowing everything I believe in.
Speaker 3: The Bengals won.
Speaker 2: We just need some good news and the good news is the weekends here in the Bengals one. So we'll leave it at that and pump the brakes just ahead. Here Scott's throwing back Monday morning at nine oh six on the home of the best Bengals coverage, seven hundred WLWT Cincinnati