Speaker 1: Going to be an American idiot by Scott Film here seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: So the House is not going to vote this week.
Speaker 3: And an extension to the Affordable Care Acts enhanced premium subsidies that's going to lapse at the end of the year unless something critical is done here don't look like it. Moderate Republicans are squeezed against the mega contingent of the Republican Party. So the moderates tried to put an extension together. The House Rules Committee blocked that, uh, because they're trying to attach that to the Geopece Healthcare plan, and that plan does not include an extension for the twenty million Americans who would be cut off by the end of the year. It's some wonky political crap that's going on. But Dean Clancy's here once again. He's a senior Health policy fellow at Americans for a Prosperity at AFP.
Speaker 2: Dean, welcome back. How you doing, I'm doing great. Thanks.
Speaker 3: We can all agree that our healthcare system sucks. I believe when you put it in this you put it to me. The end product is it's just it's simply not good. And we've talked about this in the past, and you know the idea that subsidies are a great alternative. I think it's more of a band aid patch. Why can't moderates get this done? And what's the resistance from the other side of the party here.
Speaker 4: Well, this whole issue of the expiring extra Obamacare subsidies, which has been you know, at the top of the news now for months, has been driven by Democrats and the press and looks on the left who smell an opportunity to put Republicans on the defensive in twenty twenty six and basically blame the high cost of healthcare on the GOP, which is a pretty amazing thing to try to do, since the high cost is really due to Obamacare, which is a completely Democratic party creation. And now the subsidies are going to expire on January once. Despite all the drama the modern Republicans who wanted to extend the subsidies.
Speaker 5: We're never able to.
Speaker 4: Solve some of the very simple practical problems, like how do you extend the subsidies without extending all the fraud and waste, the fake Social Security numbers, the phantom and rollees, and all the problems that the extra subsidies fueled. I think they realized they needed to do something, and they put some token reforms in. They also never dealt with the fact that the pro life community has said, well, any extension has to add protections so that there's no taxpayer funding of abortion, and this plan publicans basically just ignored that, which that makes the bill a non starter in Congress with all the pro life members. And then you have a Speaker Johnson this week saying sure, I'll let the House vote on an extension.
Speaker 2: But you do need to pay for it.
Speaker 4: You need to offset the cost. The cost is like twenty five to thirty billion dollars with a bee every single year that you extend the subsidies. That's a lot of money. And moderate Republicans said, no, no, no, no, we just want to extend the subsidies. We don't want to pay for it. We'll Uncle Sam's credit card. So they weren't serious in a sense, they were played by the Democrats who have disingenuously pretended that they want to continue the subsidies and prevent what they describe. I think they exaggerate as some kind of premium increase of they want an issue. They want to blame the failures of Obamacare on the Republican Party, and the question is will Republicans go along with that? So far it sounds like Mike Johnson and John Thune in the Senate and the other Republicans.
Speaker 6: Have they're falling for it. They're not, you know, it's.
Speaker 4: Loosey in the football and they're not going to fall for it this time.
Speaker 3: And on that, and we've talked about this in the past, the fact of the matter is you're just you know, it's a subsidy fest, is what it is. And if you subsidize anything, you're just covering up the true cost. You're giving people a coupon a voucher basically, which ingratiates them with government and elected officials. Obviously, so politicians on the left get reelect and elected for that. But it doesn't solve the main issue, which is why is healthcare so afford unaffordable in the first place for most people? And that number is growing now. I did see some surveys it said if you have private healthcare insurance, which is the bulk of America, you seem to be pretty happy with that. But the problem there and then lies is the diminishing number of companies offering healthcare. I mean, at some point the scale's going to tip the other way.
Speaker 4: What then, Well, you're absolutely right about that. The number of companies employers offering healthcare has been shrinking under Obamacare. It's been very gradual, more so recently. And actually the Paragon Health Institute put out a paper recently where they noted that if the subsidies are extended, the extra COVID era money, it will actually accelerate the decline in small businesses offering insurance to their employees. Small businesses are really really hurt by the high cost of healthcare. They find it hard to offer you know, coverage to their employees. And and you know, Obamacare has become so much more generous than the federal subsidy for workplace coverage that it's like the employee for these employers, it's it's a real easy call. They'll just stop offering health addreds to their employees.
Speaker 3: Right right, which undermines the whole system. Like Obamacare is, like the idea was, hey, we get enough young people to pay for the older people who use care more then that that's fine. But so many young people because of because the economy, look at it go well, you know, what. I'm perfectly healthy. I'm not going to subscribe to this. I'm not going to pay into a system that i may not have to take benefits out for some time if ever. That's all well and good, but it doesn't keep the system afloat. And so it's a Ponzi scheme, is what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: For Democrats, it's all about the ultimate goal of putting the government completely in charge of our healthcare. And you know, so they like to cause crises and then exploit the crises, and in some ways that's what they're doing now now, you know. On the bright side, the Republicans, in addition to not buckling all this pressure to in a sense, bail out Obamacare and continue masking its failures, they've also started coming up with really good health reform ideas which they have been actually voting on. The House will vote either today or tomorrow on a bill that would actually reduce health insurance premiums for American workers, whereas the Democrats plan does not reduce health insurance premiums by a penny. Expanding Obamacare bailing it out, does not reduce the cost of healthcare, just masks it, and you know, there's some good stuff in the Republican bill that's going to be voted on it, things like association health plans, which you know, enable small businesses to group together so they can get large group discount rates, and that should lower premiums for those businesses by like thirty percent for their employees. There's also a provision in the bill that would end some of the inflationary waste in the Obamacare system where the insurers are basically incentivized to bloat their premiums at taxpayer expense, and that would not only save thirty billion dollars over ten years, but it would reduce Obamacare premiums generally by eleven percent. That actual relief for the people that we're talking about who are going to lose or see smaller subsidies in January. Again, the Democrat plan doesn't help those people at all, except with massive taxpayer But.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing.
Speaker 3: Do you know, I just saw new study numbers here, poll numbers, and they've been pretty consistent that independence especially factor into this as well. But something right around sixty percent of six out of ten people who are on the ACA think it works fine, that they actually like the Obamacare and their healthcare. That's a boulder Republicans are trying to push up. Hell, that's going to be difficult.
Speaker 4: Well, it's true that. Look in any health insurance subsidy scheme, most people are probably gonna like it because most people are healthy most of the time. They don't actually have to use the insurance. If it's a bad system, like one of these socialized medicine systems in Britain and Canada and so on, most people say it's great because they never have to interact with it. It's only when they do that they begin to see the serious flaws of government run healthcare. But you know you mentioned sixty percent.
Speaker 6: I'll give you a statistics.
Speaker 4: Sixty percent of the people who are on Obamacare now we'll be able to find a plan that costs them less than fifty dollars a month, less than two dollars a day, and yet we're told this is a premium apocalypse. I think we're going to find after January first, that the reports of the tsunami the apocalypse were greatly exaggerated. Probably hopefully Probably that will encourage Republicans to keep trying to reform healthcare, expand health savings accounts as they voted on in the Senate. In fact, we got fifty one senators last week to vote to basically let people who are on Obamacare take part of their subsidy as a deposit to a health savings account. So instead of that money going to and ensure, it's going to use the patient and you can decide what care and doctors you want to without without insurance company meddling. That's the future of American healthcare in our view, with Americans for Prosperity fund patients, not insurans.
Speaker 3: Dean Clancy's here, he's a senior health policy fellow Americans for Prosperity, And today the House, I'm not going to vote on that extension for the ACA jeprising up over twenty million Americans in their Obamacare.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: In debating what the what the Republican plan looks like? But again and I get it. You know, you give people money. Technically it should drive down costs because of you know, better competitional Like. One of the things in there though is, uh, you know, the funding, cost share reductions and price transparency. But Trump issued an executive order and price transparency what back in twenty ninety so six years ago, and hops are posting prices, but we're not seeing meaningful cost reduction. So if history is a indicator of future behavior, is this really going to matter?
Speaker 4: Dean, Well, we absolutely need price transparency, especially if we do.
Speaker 3: But they're not doing it. That's the prible even even with Frin's order.
Speaker 4: No, that's right there. Actually you said they're complying, but really they're not. They're putting out garbled information, they're hiding it on their websites. They're making it so you can't compare with their competitors. Trump's hospital price transparency mandate really has not worked. And this confirmed something that we had afp of long belief, which is you don't get price transparency through government mandates. You get it from markets, and markets happen when the consumer controls the dollars. Just like in the gas station of the grocery store, there's transparent prices there. Why because everybody's walking in carrying cash, they demand to see the prices. That's how you'll get it in healthcare too, and that's why we want everyone to have a health savings account and to be able to have insurance free options or options that are supplemental to insurance where you don't have some third party paying the bill. You pay the bill, and when that happens, prices become transparent naturally, right.
Speaker 3: But still the problem, of course is healthcare affordability. This may drive some of the costs down. I mean, we just talked about Trump's order price transparency, which is not working. I'll hold my breath and see if this plan actually lowers prices. In theory, it may, But what do you tell someone who's going to lose their healthcare as of December thirty first of this year. I get why subsidies exist, and I hate them as much as you do. But for someone who otherwise can't afford health insurance and you look at it, going, well, they're going to take this away from me, where do you go?
Speaker 2: What do you do?
Speaker 3: It's not about giving you your dollars back in life, because so many people are making a choice these days and going I just simply can't afford healthcare, or you're younger, which is the big problem with Obamacare. And I'm not going to pay into the system at all. If I get really, really sick, I'll go to the hospital and I have to treat me. They have no choice. I think a lot of people are seeing that as the nuclear option, so to speak. Doesn't that undermine the whole system?
Speaker 4: It does, and you put your finger on the real question, which is healthcare affordability. The folks who are going to be receiving smaller subsidies, by the way, it's still going to be very generous. Obamacare is still going to cover like eighty percent of the cost of your health insurance policy, which is a pretty nice deal. But for those who are negatively affected, some of you, they have options. For example, some can just switch to a less costly insurance plan. You know, you have a menu of plans you can choose from. Maybe you downgrade from what they call silver to bronze, and so you still have insurance, but it costs you less. Number of the people that are affected actually have access to workplace insurance, either directly or through a spouse. And there are even some who are eligible and sometimes even enrolled on Medicaid, the program for low income of folks. That's not technically not lawful. You're not supposed to be on both Obamacare and Medicaid simultaneously, but it turns out there are millions of people who are because the government does not police it well, the real hard cases are going to be the folks who make more than about for an individual, about sixty thousand dollars a year. That's the anecdotes you're going to see in the headlines because some of them are going to see a really big increase in out of pocket why because they're going to lose their subsidy altogether. These are folks that Democrats, you know, four years ago, thought shouldn't get any subsidy at all. But they're going to be the sob stories. But those people represent just one half of one percent of the US population. I do think they are going to need some kind of help, but expanding Obamacare is not the way to do it. Better to do the things like Republicans are proposing to bring actually bring down the price of health insurance for everybody, not just the seven percent of Americans who are on Obamacare, but for the ninety three percent as well who are not on Obamacare.
Speaker 2: Right, makes sense.
Speaker 3: We'll revisit this, I'm sure after the first of the year, when everyone will running around with their hair on fire, screaming, and as always, it's not as bad as they're making out to be. But again, if you look at the political implications here.
Speaker 2: It doesn't.
Speaker 3: It's not a good look for the Republicans for sure, not to be able to come up sort of compromise to at least negotiating extent. It gives Congress the aura of an inefficient incompetency in a sense, because you know, we're again just kicking the can down the road and not addressing anything, and eventually the bomb's going to explode, is how it goes. Dean Clancy at Americans for Prosperity. Thanks again for the time. Do you know I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Oh, it was a pleasure.
Speaker 2: Thanks again.
Speaker 3: We'll get a news update in here in just minutes. On seven hundred WLW and Win a return on the Scott Sloan Show. Today, Mark's an important day in Ohio sports history.
Speaker 2: Do you know what that is?
Speaker 3: Details right after this on seven hundred WW, I's Lona here seven hundred ww Welcome to it.
Speaker 2: Midweek, Here we go.
Speaker 3: A monumental day today, a monumental day in history. On this date in nineteen hundred and ninety five, the Cleveland Browns hosted their final game before they moved the franchise to Baltimore, where they won their first Super Bowl in six years. Six years took them to achieve glory after leaving Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Get the dust at Cleveland.
Speaker 3: I've got this audio Matt Reese in the closing minutes of that game back in nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 2: Here you go.
Speaker 7: We got about a minute twenty left in the game at this point, and it's getting very ugly. In the Dog Pound, they are lifting the bleacher seats out and throwing them down by the gold Post act of goodwill, the Cleveland Browns are heading to the Dog Pound and are embracing the fans who just a few minutes ago were throwing bleacher benches out onto the field. All the way around, it seems as though the security is holding people back. There is no great rush to the field, and this act of gratitude by the Cleveland Browns seems to be keeping those bands from rushing the field. There's a bunch of debris all around. There are actually benches and seat sections that.
Speaker 2: Have been thrown onto the field.
Speaker 7: I four three two one, and that will do it for the Cleveland Browns. At Municipal Stadium, the Bengals have lost twenty six to ten.
Speaker 3: Carsla was right. They're throwing Bengals. They're throwing stuff on the field. They're throwing bleachers on the field out of anger. Ugh, I remember those days. I remember those days as a younger version of myself. They got a new franchise that at night. So that's ninety five, ninety nine, they get a franchise and since then they have They've been through forty one quarterbacks. They have lost, ad have ted twenty two losing seasons in twenty six years. And when it comes to success, three times they went to the postseason since nineteen ninety nine, lost in the wild card round twice, so bumped out the first round and then advanced to the divisional round. Just once, just once, you know, you examined that. And by the way, as he pointed out, the Bengals lost to that awful team that season. The futility of football in the Buckeye State, it is an exercise in futility. I mean the Bengals, I think this will be their sixteenth losing season since nineteen ninety nine. Certainly not as bad as Cleveland. They hold the all time suck record at twenty two. But you know, you talk about the season that could have been here in Cincinnati, and obviously we love to relish in the pain of other teams, especially divisional opponents in Cleveland that want to see them do well.
Speaker 2: Do I want to see Pittsburgh do well?
Speaker 3: Certainly they want to see Baltimore do well. But here in Cincinnati, it's not like we don't have our own problems. We can commiserate with the Browns fans. They lost the franchise, they got it back, and some may ask, well, weren't they just maybe just better off not having a football team at this point. We often have that conversation in Cincinnati. We have certainly had success, more success than the Browns with multiple owners and mentioned head coaches and just going through them. We don't do that here in Cincinnati. I don't think that's anything to hang your hat on. It seems rather like low hanging fruit or just simply low expectations, like, well, at least we're not Cleveland, that's true, or not Pittsburgh or Baltimore either would be nice to achieve some level of success, go to the Super Bowl and losing it. I mean, that's all around good. I know all about that. As a Bills fan, I just would like to see one of my teams do something in my lifetime. Is that too much to ask? The answer is it probably is. It probably is, But especially considering you know, seat gates. Speaking of seats ending up on the field, we couldn't do that on Sunday at pay Court simply because they were frozen and buried under eight inches of ice that they didn't bother to clean off. But nonetheless, the futility of being a football fan in Ohio is something else.
Speaker 2: It's just a whole different level. It really really is.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety five Browns final game against the Bengals. Bengals loose against a franchise that was pulling up steaks and leaving fantastic. This morning, I'm flipping around we have in the newsroom, as you imagine, all right, sitting have coffee and waste people's time. Prior to the show The Fox nineteen and Ken Baker over there, who does the kicking with Ken segmentar. He goes around town do different stuff.
Speaker 2: I noticed it.
Speaker 3: I did not know this, but today he was at the French chew factory, which I had no idea French chews were made in Cincinnati. Furthermore, it is one of those very interesting head scratching kind of things where you go. You know, I've seen French chew before, like in the candy aisle at checkout counters. Occasionally see it there, maybe not as much as he used to. And you at the same time, I don't know anyone have seen anyone ever buy French shoe. I mean it exists, somebody's eating it. I have no idea if it's like taffy or what. And I'm not insulting and throwing shade at the French jew people here in Cincinnati, but just seems like a weird thing. Like you know, opera cream is different because it's only during Easter. You get the opera creams during Easter. Okay, it's like a once yea, hey got it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: It's a big thing, that French shoe. It's around, but you never see one eating it. It's a weird thing, really really strange. This leaves me scratching my head. Anyway, We've got lots to get to today. On this Wednesday mornings, he wind it down for the holidays. A lot of folks, I know, it's a fewer and fewer people with the passing days here on the road. And I would suggest that next week especially probably not going to be many people at work because the way the holiday falls, folks will be burning their vacation days as well. Your damn should you can't take them with you, right, can't take vacation days when you're dead. So yeah, just we're kind of winding it down towards the end of the year. I can't tell you later the show here on seven hundred WLW, we do have. It's not like, you know, the news cycle is over, there's nothing going on, because there are a few things, namely, tonight President Trump will address the nation, and I think we have uc basketball here on seven hundred WW and we have Xavier basketball on fifty five KRC. But you know, talking about to Michelle Schultz, especially in the eleven o'clock hour, she's a trade attorney, and leaves me scratched my haut. Tonight, the President's going to talk about this. I'd imagine healthcare may be part of the plan. I don't know if he's gonna talk about it, but basically it says, hey, you know what, affordability might be a figment of your imagination.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that to me.
Speaker 3: You know, of all the stuff that politicians try to sell you on, I you know, better than anybody if stuff more costs more than it did a year ago or whenever it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, it's it's the economy stupid.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Being told is like, well, no, you're fine, everything's good. It really that doesn't play with most people. I mean, you know exactly how much money you have in your checking and savings account and how much you can afford, and when you go in, and the price of beef and everything else is through the roof. Albeit the one saving grace would of course be gas prices are very low. But at the same time you go in, you know, may take that money you're filling your car up with and having to buy I don't know, beef, maybe some ground beef, and it's it's prohibitively expensive for a lot of people. Yeah, one I noticed I like to eat. I notice the price going Man, beef feels like a luxury these days, it really does. And chicken thighs and like the are still pretty cheap. But again, you know, a price everything is going up. This is how it is.
Speaker 2: He's going to try to tell people, maybe what the plan is. I wonder.
Speaker 3: I hope he doesn't lean into the it's all a lie by the Democrats, because that's going to go over like a fart in church. Let's call it what that is. But relative to the terroraces I was talking about, we'll get into that a little bit later on with Michelle Schultzi's a trade attorney. I think it's interesting because today this goes to show you the hypocrisy of politics. So today, relative to the Affordable Care Act, which is not of course, anything you subsidize is not afford You're making it look like it's affordable.
Speaker 1: It's not.
Speaker 3: You're just taking money from somewhere else and giving it to people to make it look for them that it's affordable. It's not affordable. Affordable Care acts a joke. It drives the cost up. Subsidy makes stuff cost more, not less. So moderate Republicans are trying to squeeze the party and saying, look, we've got to at least extend this for a year or two so we can sort this out. Because our seats are in jeopardy. People are going to hold us responsible if you have some twenty what twenty two million Americans get their subsidies cut, there's gonna be backlash for that. We may have to pay the political price for that. Republicans locked them out, said we're not budging on this, and we're going to introduce our own plan today and move forward on that when it does include more subsidies for Obamacare. Okay, got it. So subsidies are bad. Remember that subsidies are bad. Tonight, at nine o'clock, the President's going to talk about the tariffs, and I'm gonna guess he's going to go, Look, here's what we're going to do with all this money, the nearly quarter trillion dollars that we got from tariffs. We're going to do what with Well, what we're going to do is maybe give you a check for two thousand dollars. Maybe what we're going to do is pay down the deficit. Probably not. What we're going to do are tax cuts, eliminating income taxes, all this stuff that we're going to do some eight different plans to spend the tariff money that's come in. I would look at it and go, well, okay, didn't we just give farmers here in Ohio specifically lost like seventy six million dollars in exports to China.
Speaker 2: We give them?
Speaker 3: We did on top of what happened last round twelve billion dollars in bailouts. Meanwhile, we've lost seventeen billion to China on agricultural trade alone. So isn't that a subsidy? And the answer would be, yeah, that's a subsidy. Like wait a minute, we're against subsidies with healthcare, but we're for them when it comes to tariffs and farmers. Yes, that is called Washington logic.
Speaker 2: Is what that is?
Speaker 3: You know, I don't know why you're in support of the president if it's still where it was when he got a lot when you voted for him, or maybe it's wane as for a lot of people as well. That certainly doesn't help the case. And you know, the idea that we're going to go and drain the swamp and do things differently and shake it up.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That sounds like more Washington politics to me, which leaves a lot of people. And I think a lot of people who voted for Trump and the administration, I think it leaves them don't feel like you're holding the bag, so to speak. I think you can't be against tariffs when it's healthcare, but for them when it's for farmers, it just doesn't make any said terrorists, it's a terror or terriffs. Can't be against subsidy. Rather, I should say when it's healthcare versus farmers, same thing. Quit taking the money and giving it to other people. Why not just fix the issue? How do you make healthcare affordable? Get the hell out of the healthcare game. And a lot of people buy their own health care in the free market. The money you save from all this other nonsense can go to helping the indigen and the working poor, which we should make the system work better. Give them the money they can spend it in the open market. Get your employer out of that line of work. But a lot of Americans, Americans like the healthcare they get in private sector and won't give that up. And conversely, now study came out shows about sixty six and ten Americans and that number has been consistent when they pull that they like their affordable character, they like their Obamacare. So you have those two things that are removable objects.
Speaker 2: What now? What now? Five and three?
Speaker 6: Seven?
Speaker 3: The big one on the French chew topic. Real quick, here will in Northern Kentucky on the Big one will give me the update on French chew.
Speaker 8: Hey, Tony, how are you doing I'm the guy that started that World War two bet. His name was Harry Dosher, okay, and they also made the Easter eggs every year still they still do. But he was down on Court Street by downtown soon set. He is there probably for I think I think his grandfather even started. It's what I remember the story seeing a picture on the wall. He was in there a couple of times doing some work. So anyway, great guy World War two bet Court Street. He makes the Dosher Easter eggs too, Gosha. So I think what sold off back in the mid ninety first, excuse me, mid two thousands, I think a sun owner per while.
Speaker 6: Then eventually it was bloked by.
Speaker 3: Another Doser makes They make candy canes too, don't they.
Speaker 1: Yes, they do, okay, I thought knew that name right.
Speaker 3: Right right, love the little can Little candy canes are the best. It's just the right to the the fun sized candy canes.
Speaker 2: If you will.
Speaker 8: I always said, you know, the French choo is actually invented by a dentist, you know, but.
Speaker 2: Well it's kind of like it's it's like taffy.
Speaker 8: Right, Oh yeah, I never did, no understand. I meant they asked him how he came up with that named Harry died several years ago, but you know how it came up with that name French chew, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and as I said, it's it's you know, it's around and you know that, Oh yeah, French chew. I've seen it like a checkout or you know, we're candy or candy aisle. But I've never seen anyone actually buy it or jew out. I like walking by going, hey, somebody's having French chew. You just it's been around, it's there. They make a lot of it. I just don't know anyone who's eating it well.
Speaker 8: Was also in the American Legion. Harry was a big support of the American Legion. Roseland and but it was you know, we would get to merriedan to the family. We'd get boxes of those things.
Speaker 3: To the point where you to the point where you go, okay, I've but enough French chew.
Speaker 2: I think I'm pretty good here.
Speaker 3: It gives you your teeth a good work out because that stuff is sticky stick you know. When McConnell retired, he took the Reese's Peanut butter cups with him. Because I'm a huge fan of Rees's but and I think the guy who brought him into mic, like, I mean for a while, you know the story, like once a month he brings a case of different races and we've got the Christmas trees for the holidays, and the regular ones are new ones that came the Oreo flavored ones, and we all probably put on ten pounds each, I think over the last couple of years from the gratuitous display of Reeses, which I'm a huge fan of. I love chocolate, I love peanut butter. Together it is magic. Maybe I just started doing that with French chee. I'll be the French Chew ambassador. Yeah, we got but they got vanilla. I know there's vanilla. There's a bunch of different flavors as well. It's just a it's a funny thing, not throwing shade against French Chew Cincinnati Company. And it's been going on obviously since World War Two, so that's awesome. But just you see it and you go, oh, yeah, I didn't know what's made here. And then secondly it's like I don't recall anyone going yacht. What's your favorite candy? French Chew. Maybe it'll come back like everything. It's all retro, baby, it's all retro these days. Uh and five one three for nine seven thousand. Dave on the French chew topic. I think I've hit a nerve here. What's going on?
Speaker 2: Brother?
Speaker 9: Yes, the French cho is made in Newtown, yep. And they also make the dots, the candy dots on the paper.
Speaker 3: Oh really, the dot the not not the dots dots, the dots in the box, but the ones that are in paper, right, sugar dots. Yeah, yeah, okay, I've seen those before. I didn't know they made those two.
Speaker 9: Yes, And they make full size candy canes all different, gotcha?
Speaker 1: All right, that's all. Yeah? Good.
Speaker 2: Have you had a French chew?
Speaker 6: It's been years, okay.
Speaker 2: I think that's.
Speaker 3: Also part of the problem, right, It's like, yeah, it's been a long time, and I'm sure I've had a French chew before. I just can't recall how remarkable it was, that's all.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The dots on paper, I remember, get those. I wonder that, like, I think I still make them. It just it struck me as maybe after and I wasn't born then, but it struck me during the sixties Zeitgeist when people were dropping acid that maybe candy on paper. I was like, yeah, okay, you're gonna start handle those in Halloween. You might look at it a little side. I going, yeah, dots of sugar on paper? What could go wrong there on a little wax paper. But I suppose if it's packaged up or whatever. And you know, if you're a kid, you don't care.
Speaker 2: Sugar pixie sticks Just basically eating powdered kool.
Speaker 3: Aid is what we're doing. Love the pisy and pixie sticks. You just give me sugar in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 3: I know everyone wants to talk about talk about the French chew when we've picked that up some other time. But anyway, I gotta get a news update, and here find it at the very latest. What's happening in and around the world. Mentioned the President speaking tonight at nine o'clock. When return on the Scotts Loan Show a little bit after ten o'clock here on seven hundred WLW, I mentioned I had Dean Clancy on earlier talking about talking about the vote on healthcare coming up.
Speaker 2: As Michael is eis we all worry about aging?
Speaker 3: The older you get, the more fearful you are of dying and trying to do things to hold back the hands of time.
Speaker 2: That is true.
Speaker 3: Probably don't care as much as you're eighteen than when you're eighty about things like that. However, we have new science involving slowing down aging. How much can you slow aging down?
Speaker 9: On?
Speaker 2: What does it take?
Speaker 3: We'll get to that with Michael afternoons on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred WWT Cincinnati.
Speaker 9: Do you want to be an American idiot?
Speaker 3: Slowly backcoun seven hundred ww AG Oh yeah, that is aging optional. No, we all age, but you can slow it down a bit. The question is how, and the answer is science, our healthcare system, our culture in general. We pretty much focus on treating symptoms and not prevention, and that is a I think that's a big problem for us, but that's how we think, that's how we're programmed. He is doctor Michael Azaz. He's an internist and regenitive medicine specialist. And there are three or four big things you need to know if you want to slow your aging down a little bit. Not as important, probably not feel it your twenties or thirties, but the time you hit that forty year old mark on your old odometer, you start thinking, man, things are getting sore, I'm getting tired faster and all that stuff as well. And the solution may be something you can do yourself. Doctor Z's welcome to the show.
Speaker 6: How are you good morning? Thank you so much for having me, Scott.
Speaker 3: Yeah, would you agree on that too. As we tend to treat symptoms and diagnosies and go, okay, well we have a medicine for this, but instead instead of fixing what's ailing you, we just kind of prop things up and mask over the signs.
Speaker 6: That is totally true. We tend to accept getting older as something that we need to take for granted and it's normal to get older. But if we treat aging as a disease, which is a you concept and medicine, we can age in a totally different way and prevent chronic ASI raviss from happening in the first place. And that's what I talk about in my books.
Speaker 3: Let's go through that too, And it's something I do a few of these things already, and I've said this is a year I'm going to get more much more serious about it. I think as I get closer and closer to the big six to oh, farther away from the big five oh and closer to the six to o.
Speaker 2: And I do, and it works for me. I do intermittent fasting.
Speaker 3: And also I'll probably last meal I'll have is I don't know, maybe anywhere between five and seven o'clock and won't eat until after twelve o'clock the next day. And for those of my god, how are you doing that? I think it's easier as you get older because your body needs less calories to function. So let's talk about intermittent fasting and why that is so good for you.
Speaker 6: All right, So, one of the whole marks of aging is we have a young cells in our bodies and we have old sellsand our bodies. And the old cells not only do not function our bodies, but they also discrupt the young cells. And that's one of the reasons why we get older. And by doing what you're doing, intermittent fasting or not eating for a period of time, you're getting rid of the old cells. So the body is like screaming, is like, what's happening is that person's starving? So the body starts to eat the dead cells, the cancer cells, and how intermittent fasting works in longevity. I'm not a fan of prolonged fasting where you don't eat for several days because you can lose muscle masks if you skip a meal or eating between. Just eat our period. That's great as long as you're eating the balance diet, which in protein and antioxins and vitamins. You get rid of the old cells. It's in essence cells and one way to prolonged life, and that has been proven to prolonged life in many animal studies, even monkeys, so probably will do the same in humans as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, atopogy is what it's called.
Speaker 3: So basically as I understood it, and the simple way to explain this is like your body is always looking for something to do. Your body is very very busy, even though you may be sleeping or whatever, it's looking for stuff to do. And if it's not busy digesting food and try and figure out, you know, where to send all the things here. It does housekeeping. It basically cleans house and that is cleaning up all the old dead cells. Some of those could promote things like cancer and other illnesses.
Speaker 6: That is totally true. And you know in the Middle East, the rates of cancer are eighty five percent than the United States and Europe. And that's because of the intermittent fasting they do during the religious holiday of Ramadan. So even though they eat massive amounts of sugar in eight hour period, that period of it's kind of intermittent fasting. It's promotes authosogy and it kills the sentis themselves. So that's something we can learn from different countries around the world. That that's what I share in the book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you could eat one big meal a day, you can pretty much eat, you know, with a restriction. You can't go out an entire trail asagna or you know, three large pizzas, but you can eat your food and be full and still being a calorie deficit.
Speaker 2: So it also helps to lose weight, right, you.
Speaker 6: Know, you're talking like Brian Johnson who's pretty much just eating once one meal.
Speaker 1: Of a day.
Speaker 6: That's very tough, but that probably has the most impact on longevity. But I would say we have to enjoy life. I'm not a fan of just not eating for a long time. But what you're doing is totally good because just eating an eight hour period is doable, is manageable. You're not depriving yourself and you're probably going to get the same benefits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and now if you're busy too, if I'm doing a construction type of stuf, might have a bigger lunch and a decent sized dinner. But if I'm not, then it just you know, you gotta listen to your body and not stuff yourself all the time. And that's easier said than done because food is so damn good. So intermittnfasting one thing you could do to slow down aging. Let's talk about processed foods and anti inflammatories and stuff like that. And the thing is, as you get older, you notice your body is so much more inflamed. What is your body telling you if you suffer from inflammation?
Speaker 6: So what happens is the old self we have in our bodies are also not just not functioning, but they also are secreting inflammatory proteins. And that's why how aging happens. And before you know it, you get wrinkled skin, you can get joint issues, you can get stomach issues, you can get weight gain, and that's inflammation. And one way to control aging is control inflammation by again intermittent facting, but by also eating a balanced diet which an empty oxidant, vitamins, mineral, superfoods. People have to lose weight because belly fat is linked to inflammation when we have so much fat around our bellies, that's thee greet also inflammatory markers which are very bad for ourselves. So it's you have to control inflammation if you want to age in a good way.
Speaker 3: One thing, my wife did this not long ago because she was having just not feeling well and she went someone recommended a and I forget what the name of it is, but basically as a diet tissue who focuses on that, and did a whole bunch of tests and found out that she had a gluten sensitivity, and so things like gluten also eggs, mushrooms like weird stuff she could eat. And she's taken those things out of her dial largely and feels so much better.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 6: Food allergies. Of course, if you have foodgies, that can also cause inflammation, so that's a good way to get tested. You can do a skin test, you can do a blood test. That's your doctor's office to make sure to avoid the types of food that you're intolerant to. Gluten intolerance is very rare. It's only one in two hundred people who have it. But if you have gluten intolerance or if you have civic disease, definitely have to avoid grains because that can cause it inflammation and just being on top of health. We have a habit in the United States and we get a physical just once year, and we think we're going to age in a different way and we go on top of our health. But really we have to think differently. We have to treat aging the disease. We have to take a proactive approach. We have to know our food allergies. We have to know if there's inflammation. We have to be in a good way. We have to control aging by supplements, medications and so on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again, as sactor Michael is Eas, he's an Internet regenitive medicine specialists. In his books The Ageous Revolution, and the question is how do you slow down age? Can't stop it, obviously, but you can help yourself as you get older. There's things like intermitt and fasting. We're talking about proving processed foods from you diet and can you not eat? You know, are you so strict that you shouldn't need any of this stuff? I mean, who doesn't like a good cheeseburger once in a while, or I mentioned a pizza or something like that. Do you have to sustain yourself completely on whole grains? Could you work in a cheap day or two there? How's that work?
Speaker 6: The problem in the American diet fifty percent of our diet now is process and that's bad. When we eat process food, we find carbohydrate pizza, doughnut, sugar that promote aging. And we have to lower the amount of process food we eat. I don't think we can eliminate it totally. I think if we go down to ten percent, maybe so having it, you know, a pizza once in a while, thin cross whole weeks with a lot of vegetables. That's a good way. And if you're eating a balanced diet which in antioxidens, vitamins, and minerals, and you're exercising, you can probably counter effect the effect of process food that you're eating on occasions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Gut health is another one too that we don't pay attention to. Years ago, as in the hospital, got seediff and had to eat a lot of yogurt and kafir and things like that, and you kind of notice you feel a little bit better when you have those enzymes in your gut.
Speaker 6: Yes, so gut heals is one of the whole marks of aging that I talk about in my book, and I talk in my book also about the countries that have the longest lifespan and the Blue zones where many of them live to one hundred and many of those countries they eat a diet that is rich in probiotics. They eat fermented food. Even countries not like the Blue zones, like South Korea, they eat kinshi. The women in South Korea are going to be the first to lift the age ninety. And the reason got's so important because in our gut lists pillions of bacteria. We have more gut bacteria than thousand our bodies. And those bacteria promote longevity by doing vitamin K two, which prevents heart attack. They make a product called eulescene which supplies the mitochondria, the mitochondria or the bats of ourselves. And if we have bad bacteria, then we have back to inflammation what we just talked about and believe in not Scott, we have a big problem when we're eating a lot of process foods. We're not eating for mented foods we're not eating enough yogurt, and that's why gout is very poor. And we have now an epidemic of calling cancer in men below age fifty. And again it has to do with inflammation. So calling cancer's number one cancer now in men below age fifty. It has to do with our poor gut health.
Speaker 2: How much of this has to do with genetics.
Speaker 3: You've mentioned people that live to one hundred and these super agers, but that seems more genetic than lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Wrong.
Speaker 6: According to the research I've done for the book, I believe seventy percent of our longevity is related to the things we do diet, stress management, addequate sleep, exercise. Only thirty percent genetics player role. And that's why we can control our genetic destiny by doing all the good things that we can control, or at least we try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean genetics do go a long way.
Speaker 3: That's why you see people who you know, eat like crap for years and they live.
Speaker 2: Into their eighties.
Speaker 3: But you know, you look around you average nursing home. You don't say many too many obese people at nursing homes.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I talked in my book that the longest person living in the world was a French woman and she smoked. So yeah, you're right. It's like really has to do with with luck. But I think we all have to try to do our very best, not only to eat a good uh, a good diet, a balanced die thinkway from fat diet, low fat diet with excess sugar, low cop with all the chemicals. I tried, and right now the country is moving in the right direction by limiting all the chemicals in our processed food. So I'm glad that. But just that's one of the steps to control aging. There's many things to do to control aging again, express management, adequate sleep, supplementation, and medications. Now there are medications to control aging that the doctors are not aware of, and that's why I want to educate the public about that. We can, you know, age a completely different way with all the advances we have in medicine.
Speaker 2: One of the things I hear, I mean, there's you know all mega threes, and.
Speaker 6: Do you take that.
Speaker 3: I do take vitamin D. My vitamin D lovels are perfect. I take I take supplements.
Speaker 6: Okay, So fish oil is very important. Fish oil one grammar day I can give you four years of longevity. That's amazing, and many of us are not taking fish oil or we know it goes for us, but we exact to take it. But if we're consistent, we can have an extra years of longevity just by taking fish oil.
Speaker 1: I heard.
Speaker 3: The big one too is vitamin D. We don't get a vitamin D. That's that when it comes to cancers and things like that.
Speaker 6: Yes, absolutely so, I believe in not Scott. Vitamin D is so important not only for longevity but also for presenttion of COVID. We had a very high rate of mortality in the United States from COVID. And if you take a look at I live in New York, if you take a look at Florida, they had less mortality from COVID than we did here in New York in the Northeast. Because vitamin D is mostly from the sun. So vitamin D not only plays a role in longevity, but it's also the immune system prevention of COVID and so on. Yeah, so our mortaliti rate was ten times in Japan and South Korea from COVID and that was really motivated. What motivated me to write The ageis revolution because right now aging is happening in young people. You don't have to be old to be you can be. In America, you get young and old in the same time because of the lifestyle choices we make.
Speaker 3: One of the big components of people hate hearing this is exercise, a little resistance training, you know, bands, free weight, stuff like that. But you know some of these are like, well, you need to work out for sixty minutes a day, seven days a week, or five days a week or whatever, and especially as you get older, that's really really tough to do, and it's tough to do with your schedule. So how much is enough when it comes to exercise, I albeit just you go and walk on the dog or walk around the block or something like that.
Speaker 6: I think any type of exercise you do, regardless the amount of time you do, is good for you. Aerobic and aerobic, but definitely high intense. The interval training has the most impact on longevity. Believe it or not, it can add ten years to our lives. But that's a very tough type of exercise to do. So I also recommend balance, you know, walking, running, doing a little bit of streadmills, lifting weight as we get older so they don't lose muscle mass. And if you're in good health and you could do hit. That's fine. Do it, that's good, that's great.
Speaker 3: It does start to wear the joints down, and you got to segue into something else.
Speaker 2: That's all.
Speaker 3: If you doctor disease, if you eat like crap like in your forties, fifties, maybe your sixties as well, can you still reverse all this stuff?
Speaker 5: I do think so.
Speaker 6: I think the body has the ability to reset and to reboot. And the body. You know, so many people are overweight, so many people are diabetics. But if they follow a balanced diet of they exercise, they can reverse that. And there are supplements and medication that can help them. So wait, now, look at the GLP for example, GLP drugs and making everybody stand now, everybody's taking them, and they're reversing diabetes, they're reversing obesity, they're reversing inflammation. You can use muscle masks if you don't change your eating habits and you're eating, you know, a lot of crap instead of protein and a good diet. But they have changed the way we control our weight.
Speaker 2: Where are you on testosterone supplements?
Speaker 6: I'm very big, big proponent of TRT as we get older because testostrun is declining all over the United States, especially in young people. Again, it has to do with stress, has to do with low vitamin D, has to do we don't enough eat seafood with zinc. And as the starstrum goes down, man, we start to feel tired, we start to get belly fat, we start to get erection problem. And the biggest problem with declining tystoston is it shortens our life. And the problem is doctors don't routinely checked with the stostrun and if they do check with the stostron, they don't do anything about it, or they may tell you they compare you to any eighty year old they say your tystostrum is normal, and the fact is theystostrum is very low because you want to always be compared to the younger person you could be. I don't want to be compared to an older person.
Speaker 3: Right right, yeah, but yeah, and all these things kind of factor and anyway, aging is certainly not optional. We're all aging, but you can slow it down and as you get all of course, time is more precious than anything, and if you can help yourself live a healthier, longer life, then by all means you got to make some lifestyle change. It's an adjustin pivot, but hell do it. Doctor Michael is ease the Ageless Revolution. He's an internest and regenitive medicine specialist. And thanks again for joining the show this morning.
Speaker 6: Appreciate it, Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: That's how it's slow aging.
Speaker 3: But it's not going to stop you from eating that half a pie and the refrigerator, you know how that is. We've got news on the way in just a few minutes, when a return Julie on the Job is here, we will talk about AI and the interesting twist a icebar that entry level jobs aren't really entry level anymore because of AI. What does that mean? What does that mean for your career or maybe someone you love? Just ahead here Sloany seven hundred helping you put the big P in profession. Here's our career, Shirpa Julie bout.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir Julie day off today.
Speaker 3: She's got stuff going onspit a little busy and the show always goes on you're on the bus or under the In this case, AI is rewriting what entry level means in the workfa nobody to get an entry level job and you'd start out learning, you know, from the ground or built from the ground up. That's not true anymore because of AI. What's happening is companies are automating those tasks that were previously done by entry level employees. And so what that means is if a new graduate, those employers expect you to have advanced skills on day one. They're still learning curve anymore. Because the easy stuff they got AI doing, you're gonna have to really jump into the fray. Here joining the show is the co founder and chief strategy officer at Kingsleygate. They are in a global executive search room nook for CEOs and C suite members and his name is Umesh Rama Christian and joining the show this morning.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good, Scott, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, bet, this is a game change. I don't think enough people realize that we know about AI. All of us use AI in some way, shape or form of the course of our jobs and our workday makes things easier. But we know, like when the computers came to play, if you're a better around back then going oh, it's gonna make your job so much it's easy. You're gonna have all this time, and it doesn't you just get more work piled on you. I think the same thing is true with any technology. AI is no different, but this this one changes it because now you have to come and almost now I wouldn't say an expert in your field, but the bar has been been raised.
Speaker 2: What are you going to see? How how do you close that gap?
Speaker 3: I guess then between college graduates and that new workforce.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't even know if game change sums it up, Scott. I think we are an existential moment here because if you know, you have I always had a social contract.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 1: You go to school, whether it's a four year degree or a two year degree, you graduate and as a result, you get a job and you work your way up to middle management and hopefully the top management. But if it is no bottom wrong at all, left, then what do you do? Why would you even want to go to school? Because you know we spend all the time and money, so what really needs to happen now is actually most focused on the universities and colleges and schools rather than the corporations. So you know, we've always taken our seniors and found positions for them. That's the social contract I spoke about, or if you're a junior or a sophomore, you find internships for them. Well, now I think you need to put the whole thing on its head. You need to start placing freshmen in companies. And what I mean by that is if the company itself can help with the college education cost, then the four years that the student spends there is focused on and ready for the second tier inside the company, not the entry level, which means universities have to completely rethink their strategy. I had two company presidents at my home this weekend and I floated this idea, and they said, that is a radical idea. That's the kind of stuff we should be doing, because we don't do anything. These four kids, they're not going to have a job.
Speaker 3: Is exactly what we've seen in the trade industry down at the other end in blue collar work, and that is companies going, hey, we don't have a talent. What we have to do is now they recruit them, pay for their school. Essentially, you guarantee they're going to work for us for a few years to kind of pay that. But we will educate them, train them our way, and we'll train that workforce. That's been going in the trades for quite some time. It sounds like that's the way colleges should be headed.
Speaker 1: That's exactly the way it should be headed. And by the way, companies have a vest of the interest because it's the empty level positions that fill the middle level positions three, four, five years down the road. If you have nobody at the bottom rung, how are they going to fill those positions five years from now. So they will have interest, they will fund this, but universities need to take that first step. And by the way, high schools will also be involved. Just imagine a high school administrator he or she wants to face students in those colleges that do this, and not colleges that are waiting for four years to see if they can get the kid a job or not.
Speaker 3: As a result, then imsh are we going to see colleges refine their curriculum so to speak, because let's face it, the first two years of college there's a lot of filler or the idea of you're becoming more well round the edge. You can't taking sociology classes and I'm taking psychology and all these electives and things.
Speaker 2: Is that going to go away? Is the knife, get sharpen.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, tongue in cheek, Scott. I think drinking beer in the first two years is going to be a past experience. I think what's going to need to happen is these students have come out of high school. Just like you pointed out what's been happening on the blue collar side, they need to jump head in and get experience of practical experience. We actually at company sites. So yes, the curriculum needs to change, not little dramatically. They have to in work the pyramid and start getting practical experience on day one.
Speaker 3: Is that a lot to ask of an incoming college freshman, someone who maybe you know, seventy six teen, seventeen years old in some cases that essentially they have to figure out what they want to do four years later and later in their life and honing that and going okay, well, I've got to make a commitment when I go to college. It's not about me figuring it out along the way and maybe changing and my major subtly here and there. I've got to commit to a company and an enterprise, which I don't know. I have no idea if this is what I want to do with my life. But that's a major commitment that changes the whole college dynamic as well.
Speaker 1: This is what I meant by existential Scott. Nobody is ready for this. You know you mentioned this is another technology. There's one massive difference with what we are calling technology here. This technologic reason has logic and is intelligent enough to think. When you have something like that and you build agents that do that, thousands of them are going to be built. The good news is the kids in high school are already being exposed to this, So unlike you and I, I think you're going to start seeing a mature level in high school graduates, more than we've ever seen before. But there is going to take some time. It's going to be some lag between now and when we reached that maturity. So yes, I think we're going to see a blood bats, not just in entry level jobs, but in children and kids making decisions about careers they're not quite ready for.
Speaker 3: Are we going to see then as a result of this, that colleges become more selective, that fewer young people go to college because of what you're asking of them, That we're getting rid of general education requirements. And I mean, let's face it, if you're going to get an internship as a freshman or sophomore at a big company let's say Procter and Gamble here in Cincinnati. You don't have any marketable skills that are useful to them. There's a disconnect there. Are we just going to see colleges revert back to the brightest of the bright who wind up going there, as opposed to you know, trying to get as many young people to go to college as possible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, part of this redesign has to be evaluating what students mean, what students can do, what the university needs to do in that particular company you mentioned Proctor and Gamble, So if you're looking if Parker and Gamble is looking for somebody to go enter the marketing function, then it falls on the university to determine which student is best suited for that. So Yes, as a result, Scott, I think universities and companies are going to become far more selective and that is going to cause a construction in the workforce. Again much any way you look at this is going to be a massive problem.
Speaker 3: Like like law school, for example, you know you will go they'll go and actively recruit the brightest of the bride. Will we start saying that with high school students where companies actually come in and go here's your you know, your top ten students, or there's a particular you are. They're actually scouting high school students to work for them and will pay for your college along the way.
Speaker 2: Is that going to happen?
Speaker 1: Well, Look, a lot of what you and I are talking about is look into a crystal ball. Right. No, nobody is absolutely sure. But if you're asking me my opinion, I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Uh.
Speaker 3: He is Umesh Ramachra Shan. He is a co founder chief strate at Kingslegate there and a global executive firm CEO C suite people and talk about the massive change here with AI coming along that entry level jobs largely as we know them in the workforce. We're talking about white collar work predominantly are gonna go away because companies are automating those tasks assigning to AI. Entry level employees aren't doing the basic bottom level stuff. They have to come in pretty hot. They're raising the bar for new graduates and they expect advanced skills on day one because the menial tasks are being done by AI, you better bring something in the table. This almost has to change high school, and it certainly changes what college looks like. Where you're actually becoming an intern in a company your freshman year and the classes you take on. It's more specific to that occupation. The idea of figuring it out as you go to college. It's been dead for a while because of the costs zumash, but it's more so now because of the demand for your talent. So when you say real entry level work starting freshman year, are you talking is that a paid internship unpaid injured co ops entirely?
Speaker 2: Is it something different? What does that look like?
Speaker 1: Well, the way I see it, like I said, the company has a vested interest in this, right, I mean, they need to be filling these positions four or five years down the road. So they want the best in the brightest, and they want to train them in a specific way. Proctor Gamble may want one thing, but Kroger may want something else, and so the company, because of that reason, should they It's not a significant amount, a reasonable amount for that education. So I do believe they're.
Speaker 2: Going to see that interesting.
Speaker 3: So from your executive search perspect are companies that eliminate or over credential entry level of positions. Are they shooting themselves in the foot long term by not developing their own pipeline for talent?
Speaker 1: They absolutely are. You know, one of the things in our business is we talk to CEOs around the world every day, and I can tell you I haven't spoken to one CEO who's not concerned about this issue. And you know, sort of kicking the can down the road, right because right now, there's no problem. Right now, earnings are up, you're increasing productivity because you don't have anybody to hire at the bottom end. But everybody knows that that's going to just cause a problem three to four years from now.
Speaker 3: Well, with AI taking over the you know, the low level work, the road work that internships used to train for. You know, wasn't that also valuable for teaching them how to work in a workplace, you know, professional norms and work ethic and attention to detail, organizational culture. That's where you learn all that stuff and just to kind of do menial tasks. If that goes away, what does that do to that whole model?
Speaker 1: Then I don't think it goes away, Scott. I think actually it gets enhanced because if you're you know, we believe, which I agree with you, if internship's helped in that regard, imagine if you're doing this almost full time through college. You know, I envision a lot of these classes that we held on campus, not the university campus, but corporate campus. So you know, these kids coming out of high school are probably going to get exposed to things that you and I got exposed to maybe two three years graduating. Yeah, so I think that internship model is going to get expanded to a work study model in the not distant future.
Speaker 2: Is it over for the liberal arts degree programs?
Speaker 1: You know, it's funny you bring that. I don't think so. I don't know what to look like. But one of the biggest things that students need to focus on is critical thinking, and liberal arts is probably the best area in humanities in college where students developed that. How they developed that to control AI, I think still remains to be seen.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, if you look across global markets where you place executives at your company omesh, are you seeing this crisis across Is it just America's across all countries, industries and sectors, or are there ones that are still having that traditional talent pipeline.
Speaker 1: I don't know a single sector or a single geography whether this is not a crisis in the making. No, again, if you look at it today through today's lens, there is no crisis. Companies actually enjoying that good profits because you know you're hiring fewer people with productivity is out. But anybody who's looking even through a lens of a two to three year in the future, it's not just a small crisis. Like I said, it's an existential one.
Speaker 2: So who's responsible for fixing this?
Speaker 3: You mentioned high school, you mentioned university's employers, at government, they all got to work together.
Speaker 2: I guess it's all of them.
Speaker 1: It's all of them, But I think it starts at the universities. I think universities need to see thisuly consider this because for them it's a business problem too, right. I mean, as soon as everybody's realizes that going to a college for four years and spending a large amount of money is not going to end in a job, why would you want to go to college. You've got to change the budlem to attract the students, because we're talking about the likelihoods them for the rest of your life.
Speaker 2: Boy.
Speaker 3: You know, I mentioned the areas that be responsible for this, and it strikes me as universities dig their heels and resistance with everything in there might simply because it threatens the traditional learning model, and anything that threatens the past is a threat to the future. As a real concern for the future, I think you're going to see colleges. There's probably ones that won't submit to this, and they'll they'll probably perish at the because of those decisions.
Speaker 1: Would you agree two things will be cause that for them to either fear or arrogance. Fear because they don't know what to do, or arrogance. They will not impact us if they display either one of those two characteristics. Scott, I think they're finished, all right.
Speaker 2: So let's pivot then to this outside of universities. High school. What about mom and dad? What about kid? You have a younger child. Now, let's say, how are you preparing them.
Speaker 1: For all this? That is probably the toughest job being a parent of the toughest job to begin with, And now is you've been told suddenly, let's say you have a kid in high school. You have this plan in your head for the last you know, twelve fourteen, years. You even have a fight twenty nine going and now you have to deal with this. You know, this is outside my laying in terms of parent counseling, Scott, but having been gone through it with my son, who is now fortunately in the work place already and therefore a little bit immune of this, I think that is the biggest challenge is for parents in terms of how to guide the children forward.
Speaker 3: I have no idea how you'd on ramp down to this and go, Okay, it's all going to change in the next few years. And I don't know if that's more core classes, more stamming, and depending what you want to do, because now you're asking, hell, if you're a parent, listen, this is going away a minute. You're telling me that Now my you know, thirteen fourteen year old kid who most days I got to scream at it because they're missing the bus and you can't find their shoes in the morning and everything, all of a sudden, they got to decide what it does they want to do when they're my age, Like, that's a tough ask.
Speaker 1: It is an incredibly tough ask. Imagine asking a six We need all to stud making decisions inside of a corporation. I mean, some of these guys don't know what through have a lunch. Yeah, yeah, we've all been to that. So they're now making decisions. You know, this is not going to be easy and there's going to be a lot of upheaval. But it needs to start. I mean, universities need to start planning to shift today.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But in mass well we because we don't like change at all. And certainly universities are you know, they're held in tradition and you have a legacy there, you have tenured professors, you have unions. I just don't see that happening until it becomes a crisis.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: Some might and pivot early and say, hey, listen, we got to peel the bandit off and do this, but I would suggest most wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Well, we've seen this to history though, right God, I mean we all those we did love the horse and buggy and you could have stuck with that and then take you, you know, six days to get to New York. So I think eventually people will see it. My fear is that the strupture will happened before the realization. And if that's the case, you know, all of us in trouble all right.
Speaker 3: He is the con founder and chief strategy officer at Kingsley Gate. They're a global executive search firm. And it's umesh Rama Krishnan in for Julie this morning on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Thanks again for joining. It was really informative.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Scott. I enjoyed the conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: That's a wake up call right there. College.
Speaker 3: As you we know, college is in crisis right now and it's been crossed for a while. But this is an absolute mind blowing proposition. Pretty exciting actually. So now you can go look at your fourteen fifty year on going, oh my god, how are we going to do this? Good luck with that one. Let me get in this update in and more to follow at Scott Sloan. I'll talk to Michelle Schultz, trade attorney coming up about the tariff refunds that may be coming due here depending what the Supreme Court does. And in light of the President's addressed tonight on all this and more, just add seven hundred W O to Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Do you want to be an American? Seven hundred w WELW.
Speaker 3: President is going to speak tonight at nine pm to sell you on the economy, addressing what he calls the affordability hoax and the promise he made on the trail to reduce the cost of living from day one. As he said, we know that's not going very well for the president. You know what, you know, you go to the store and you see the price of beef, You see the price of many thing except gas. We're to what four or five year low right now? Everything certainly feels much higher. And you know that when you look at your checkbook, your savings account at the end of the month. Of course, adding to inflation would be the tariffs, and the President's going to talk about that tonight. And on it is trade attorney Michelle Schultz again on the Scott's Loan Show.
Speaker 2: Michelle, how are you good morning?
Speaker 10: I have been busy.
Speaker 2: I bet yes.
Speaker 10: It's all tariffs, all the time, lots of change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure the President is going to address a lot of that tonight. And so we know the tarffs brought in like close to a quarter trillion dollars so far this calendar year. But companies like Costco and Bumblebee, the tuna company Revlon, the makeup company ray Ban Sun last as many others are getting in line because the first person in line gets paid first. In the lawsuits to lock down the billions of dollars they might be out if the Supreme Court rules against President Truft's tariffs, to begin with, So let's start there the likelihood that that's going to happen.
Speaker 2: What do you see the tea.
Speaker 10: Leaves Well, I'd say fifty to fifty. You know, in the beginning, I thought it was pretty likely that the Supreme Court would strike down the tariffs because they expressed so much skepticism during the initial hearings. But the more I read, the more I follow the government's reactions, I'm thinking it's possible it could go either way. So companies like Costco, Revlon and the big guys have gone in and they have petition for Customs to essentially be forced to delay its final computations so that refunds would be quicker. And we're due for the final liquidation of entries as of Monday, so it's been kind of a race to get to the front of the line. Who can get to the front of the line and who can get paid first. If we could keep Customs from finalizing its calculations, Unfortunately, Monday, the Court of International Trade denied a consolidated motion for this very thing. So it looks like, yeah.
Speaker 3: Like one hundred and thirty billion dollars, I mean so far that number is growing. Is what the refund would be got. And the thing is the preemptive lawsuits coming in to be paid as being liquidated by the government. The Supreme Court rules against the TERRAF after liquidation occurs, doesn't that create kind of a legal black hole where companies can't get refunds even though they paid on constitutional tariffs.
Speaker 2: How would that shake out?
Speaker 10: That would be in my mind, it would be administratively a mess. And I think that's what the DOJ was concerned about when they last week they mentioned that, hey, we've already been collecting about one hundred and thirty billion in tariffs. I think if all that has to be refunded, then it does have to be refunded, and there will be a mechanism for refunds, such as protesting the liquidation of customs entries. The problem is the time we're going to have to go through a long process to get that money back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and where does the money actually come from if it's already been spent. I mean, I you know, he has a list of I think there's like seven or eight things on there. What he's going to do with this money coming in from tariffs, including two thousand dollars checks or taxpayers. All well and good, but if you cut those checks, there's no getting it back. Where if you spend some of that money, where's it going to come from?
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a great question.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I think it would have to come from through customs and border protection, but I don't know what funds they'd pull it from. If the money's already been spent. It's it's been It's long been the case that customs have to provide refunds if someone overpaid. But wow, this is on a grand scale. We're talking about billions and thousands of companies. So I think it's legally the refunds will be required, but it will be a process, and in my experience requesting refunds, it's going to take.
Speaker 5: A long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we'll probably hear more of this tonight when the President speaks at nine o'clock. But Trump promised to use the tariff revenue for as I had to look it up. Yeah, eight different purposes with the checks. There's tax cuts, there's paying down debt, there's eliminating m TIMP taxes in some groups.
Speaker 2: And the list goes on and on and on.
Speaker 3: But you know, I don't know, I does Congress have to a created like any other revenue or does he just start cutting checks himself. I mean, that's the other question is how much authority has an executive branch versus congressional park Congress. Congress, as we know under Republican control, really doesn't want to do anything. They're happy with him doing whatever he wants and doing very little as representatives and senators. I wonder what happens in that regard exactly.
Speaker 10: Yes, and under the constitution, Congress is the branch that has authority over taxes and terrifts. Tariffs are attacked and they're a tax on the US importer, So you know, you'd think that Congress would have to weigh in on this at some point if refunds are required. It's going to be a combination, I think, of the executive branch and then Congress, which as you mentioned, is just going to probably support the executive bridge decisions, and then Customs. So Customs is going to be swimming in paperwork.
Speaker 3: I think yeah, doesn't mean for a smooth system. Michelle Schultz on the shift, trade attorney, expert in the area of tariffs and the like, and I'm sure your phone's been ringing off the hook with all this stuff going on from your clients. Tonight, the President is going to talk at nine o'clock to sell us on the economy and the affordability hoax, as he calls it. I don't know, you go to the store, stuffs more expensive. I don't know how that's a hoax. You know more than anyone your personal finances. If you're doing fine and you're above water and have all extra dispense, it's probably not that big a deal. But of course you get closer and closer to the poverty line, or you just simply make less money your middle class or lower. You know that it's really expensive out there, say maybe energy and gasoline right now. So he's gonna try and sell us on that tonight. It should be interesting what he says. And of course the other area of this thing is, Michelle, you know this better than anybody. Are the terroriffs actually working in a sense, because I mean, China just surpassed a one trillion dollar trade surplus, which means they export more than they import. If they export more than import and that number is going up, that would indicate, at least relative to China, the tariffs are not working.
Speaker 10: Right right, Yes, relative to China, we can see that the tariffs really aren't having the intended effect. China's actually doing more business with other countries and they have found that it's easier to what they called dump or sell products below market to other countries rather than dealing with US at this point. So you know, yeah, I think the tariffs have resulted in difficulty for US importers, and at the same time, China seems to be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't have the endent.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's other countries out there that are squeezing, for sure, But I mean this was all set to leverage China, and China's going, okay, we'll fine, We'll just go We'll just expand market share elsewhere and forget about you guys. But then, you know, if tariffs go away or we get the balance back, are those stations going to all of a sudden go hey, you know what, we are just going to go back to good old Maide In the USA, goods, you know, outside of maybe some core products. I don't see that happening because once you change change vendors, so to speak, it's difficult to get that business back, isn't it.
Speaker 10: Oh, Yes, very difficult. And I think there is a lot of sentiments regarding America that we're not reliable right now. So I'm hearing that from the EU, from South America, from everywhere. And you'll see China is currently very successful in India, Brazil, Africa, you can look anywhere and they're doing well because they're playing the game right. I think that we are at a disadvantage at this point. Companies don't necessarily trust us because we may or may not go through with a transaction, or we may request christ changes. And even if we do buy something at the regular price, than the US company is losing profitability because they have to either increase their price to match the teriffs and which are up to fifty percent or more, or they have to just do something else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think Michelle on the terriff issue, I think there's a credibility problem here for Trump administration and Republicans in a sense, because you know, the cry against the Affordable Care Act which is true. You know, we subsidize things in this country to the extreme, and it doesn't do anything to reduce and drive down the actual cost of things. It's just simply a coupon. It's a voucher, is what it is. To make it look to you and your family like, hey, healthcare is affordable, it's not. It's it's out of control of the government's just taking money from a different pile and giving it to you to shut you the hell up so you can afford your healthcare insurance. And that is a legitimate bee for publicans have habit. It's one hundred percent accurate. However, when you now have twice done that for farmers and bailed them out because in this case, because of teriffs where Ohio farmers lost about seventy six million dollars in exports to China, well overall the trade is down like seventeen billions. So the long story is we're bailing out farmers with twelve billion dollars. Unfortunately it's dwarfed by the seventeen billion dollar loss in China trade to China loan. So we're essentially subsidying farmers for the tariffs. That doesn't make any sense at all.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it doesn't make sense. And we're still seeing with our clients that farmers are they have stop, they can't sell, they're jumping products, and even agricultural equipment is taking a huge hit because they can't afford to buy the new stuff. They're going to use their own equipment. It's really still impacting farmers and agriculture, you know, down to the individual and I think sending them a check for a couple thousand dollars is not really helpful.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, you know it's again it's more subsidy. And on that too, farmers in the particular Ohio farmers. Basically there's a double whim there. There's higher cost from the import taxes and lost export revenue from retaliation from countries like China. So, from a trade law perspective, Michelle schultz Weer, you're an expert in is the predictable outcome of the policy something the administration's legally required to consider before imposing those tariffs or other statues that can just impose it without any economic impact analysis whatsoever.
Speaker 2: It feels like the ladder's true.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I believe the ladder's true. Unfortunately, because so the tariffs that are the baseline tariffs. The reciprocal tariffs, those are the tariffs that are on virtually every country, and those were implemented under an emergency statue, as if a trade deficit or an emergency. So let's say the court holds up those tariffs, they still have plenty of options for the US government to impose tariffs under other statutes like aluminium and steel, which are under a National Security statute. There's another statue that covers unfair trade practices, and none of this, None of these statutes really ask what's the impact on the importer in the United States state, They're more focused on policy.
Speaker 3: So the big picture of the takeaway here is American farmers are suffering because of those massive losses we talked. Big companies are lining up to sue for refunds, and the government collected almost a quarter trillion dollars but promised to spend it in eight different ways. So if you're advising someone whose business is import export and you have a global market here, what do you tell how are you tell them to navigate this chaos right now? And do you think we'll ever have clarity in the next few months on the legality of all this stuff.
Speaker 10: I think we will have clarity. So that's the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm hearing maybe beginning of twenty twenty six. Some folks have been saying before the end of twenty twenty five. I don't know that we'll have that much clarity then, and I don't think that all the tariffs will be cleared up. Many of them are going to continue, and there's not much of a path forward for the importer. So what we're doing is some importers will want to get in line, they want to sue. On the other hand, the Court of International Trade is not willing to bind customs as far as its final calculations. They've denied a consolidated motion on Monday about by importers, So I think, you know, as as it drags out, we continue to look at technicality. We've had importers that have been overpaying because they've been overvaluing their goods, and we follow the customs regulations very closely to determine if you're overvaluing, if you're paying a percent onto high a value, or maybe you're paying on the wrong country of origins or the wrong yeah good.
Speaker 3: I don't know how you sort all this stuff out. I'll be honest, my head would explode her. How's your head not exploding?
Speaker 10: It is good?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, good good. I just couldn't hear it for more. Your Thank god you're in the phone, not in the studio. Are cleaning people are are overworked already. She has Michelle Schall's trade attorney on the show. I always love having you on, Michelle, because you're you just simply cut right through it to help us figure out something complex is tariffs and what it all means. And if you don't know what it means, it should scare the hell out of the rest of us, that's for sure. You have a great day. Thanks again for coming on the show.
Speaker 10: You too, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Happy holiday, Yeahpy holdays Mary Christmas. Yeah. So it's a damnist party in power right tonight.
Speaker 3: The Republicans are today, actually I should say, they're gonna not vote for and include subsidies to continue the Obamacare for another couple of years.
Speaker 2: However, it is till they sort this out.
Speaker 3: And so yeah, you may feel like the rug's being pulled out under if you're one of the twenty two million Americans on it okay, good, because we don't want subcy Amen, subsidy is it's it's stupid. Then tonight at nine, President Trump will tell you why subsidies are good when it comes to farmers and everything else. And two thousand dollars checks to Americans, isn't that subsidy? The answer would be yes, yes, it would be leadership. Where is it?
Speaker 2: I don't I don't see it. I don't see it on the left, I don't see it on the right. I just don't see it. News on the way minutes here seven hundred w.
Speaker 1: DC.
Speaker 2: Well, let's probably a little bit of displaying go on. I'm not quite sure.
Speaker 3: I thought Seg Dennison on the staff here at iHeart Cincinnati, was the most afraid of winter weather. And I have to apologize to my friend Seg because I was wrong about that. Sarah Lees is uh doing this from from her home instead of coming in STUDI because she's afraid of the snow that has since melted on the roadways and will not drive on roads it could possibly be icy at this time. I've never seen anyone afraid Sarah release of salt stained dry pavement. I understand when it's slippery up maybe, but the roads are fine. Why are you at home?
Speaker 11: Well, if the Bengals would have cleared off their seats, we wouldn't have all the snow.
Speaker 5: Melting onto the banks and causing having.
Speaker 2: Got it gets back to the Bengal the Bengals.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the snow melts from the uncleared seats, goes down down to the bottels of paycorps out, goes into the gutters and streets and flood Cincinnati with the tears of incompetence.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I live a half mile away from downtown and I'm in a flood right now. So that's why I'm working from home this week.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, gotcha, You're floating away here.
Speaker 3: So it is a snort report this morning, Sarah Elise, I don't know if we've We don't often snort over the phone, but you may have to snort louder in order for it to come through.
Speaker 11: I think, you know what, there is a lot to snort about because things are so bad that you just have to keep laughing to like not go absolutely insane. Over All of the Bengals drama is wanting after another really is. And now you've got previous Bengals players calling out the league on social media. This comment is definitely trending on social media.
Speaker 1: Zach Moss.
Speaker 11: He's telling people on Twitter that the Bengals are easily the worst franchise in sports.
Speaker 5: Blooney, we got problems.
Speaker 2: We don't have problems.
Speaker 3: What we have is what we have is consistency. What has changed in the last I don't know, thirty years. It's the same cries about incompetent, mismanagement, penny pinching, being tone deaf, not being responsive to the fan base. Nothing's changed, doesn't the fact that we just last week gave two hundred and twelve billion dollars at the stadium.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the big the Browns family, they're doing completely, They're.
Speaker 2: Totally zero, zero poops given.
Speaker 11: Jason Williams with the inquir he has this awesome article out. First of all, you got to read Jason Williams articles. He has no filter, and he put this article out, I believe this morning or late last night about how the Bengals ownership does not care about what any of us have to say. They see your comments on Twitter, on Facebook, on Instagram, TikTok, and they're just gonna keep doing what they're doing.
Speaker 5: I mean, how can things change? Sloany just stop showing up.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 3: And the idea is, if we're you know, we're calling for We're calling for Zach Taylor, We're calling for the ahead of Duke Tobin. H it doesn't it doesn't matter, It doesn't matter who that it's above the head coach.
Speaker 2: Maybe there's something with Duke Tobin.
Speaker 3: But I would go, Okay, but is it because he doesn't have enough support, he doesn't have enough people around him to help. He's doing too much by himself because it's a woefully understaffed front office when it comes to scouting, on all the things that ensure you're gonna get good players or great players here in Cincinnati's opposed to a crapshoot. I would say, does it really matter if it's Bill Belichick? Does it matter if it's Bill Kauer? Does it matter who it is as the head coach. I would contend, it's the system in which that coach is thrust it. I mean, when he's got to answer the questions about snow removal, because no one in that front office.
Speaker 2: Will speak except for Zach Taylor.
Speaker 3: If I you know, being a fan of the team, I'm looking at going, well, there's no communications, so they don't actually care.
Speaker 2: They're in pervious to criticism. It doesn't matter.
Speaker 11: Well, you just kind of take Marty Brennanan's advice. He was on with Tom Brennanan on Monday morning and he goes, look, I've got one piece of advice for Bengals fans. He says, snowblowers, next time.
Speaker 3: Bringing your own shovel to pay Course Stadium.
Speaker 11: That's h Look, I can't even get in with my little four by Fyclear bags, but I'll try to bring it so blowing.
Speaker 3: And then like the ticket things were malfunctioning. It took people an outward to get in, so they missed most of the first quarter at least.
Speaker 2: It just it's just one.
Speaker 3: It's just one travesty and injustice staff together for the long suffering Bengal fans. And you know, if you're a season ticket older season tickelolders are not happy. The ones I talked to are not happy at all because renewals are coming.
Speaker 2: They're like, hell no, and they shouldn't be.
Speaker 11: And this is when the sales staff are making their calls and they're saying, hey, what are we doing about twenty twenty six And it's like well, what are you doing about twenty twenty six?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 11: But I guess what had happened. Two of the gates were down for whatever reason. There are rumors out there saying that some of the staff couldn't make it in because the roads were so bad.
Speaker 6: But I don't know.
Speaker 11: All of the fans seem to make it in and they were.
Speaker 5: Just standing there.
Speaker 11: For the entire staff, not freezing that they missed anything. I mean, the Bengals couldn't do anything in that game, which was really disappointing after what we had seen on Things Giving night, after that really exciting win.
Speaker 5: I just had higher.
Speaker 11: Expectations for him, and especially with Joe Burrow. So now Joe Burrow is getting heckled. I don't know if you saw that. That's trending on social media too. There was an angry fan that was sitting in the front row of that game on Sunday decided to take off his Joe Burrow Jersey rose it onto the field and he's hackling home and it was so bad that Jamar Chase had to get into his face a little bit, like, hey, go home then if you don't want to be here, if you don't like it, go home and you know throughout a bunch of f bombs.
Speaker 3: Right, which is which is a great look for the team. You don't like the bad product on the field and then get the hell out of here. That's just I mean, I get he's defending his guy, but that just is another bad look for a team that is full of bad looks at the fans.
Speaker 2: Right, you don't you don't do that. You have a reason to be upset.
Speaker 5: Money.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they're spending the money on the tickets and the jerseys, and they stumbled their way out of their homes to get there on Sunday and to sit in the five degree stempts and watch a four and ten team. I mean, it's just it did not get worse right now. And Dak Taylor on Monday said, look, I know that this is the record and we're out of it three years in a row with no playoffs, but Joe Burrow is still going to play.
Speaker 5: So what do you think of that?
Speaker 11: It's like, do we need to keep playing Joe Burrow for the final three games?
Speaker 2: It's his job. You're going to tell him know if he's healthy.
Speaker 11: I think you cannot tell Joe Burrow no to anything. I mean He's probably just happy to be back after that toe injury. This was just supposed to be his game that he was coming back this weekend too in Miami when he had gotten hurt back in September. They said Miami would be his first game back.
Speaker 2: But obviously it doesn't matter. It's over.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter it's over yet again, So three straight seasons no playoffs to the Bengals who appeared there. And now you look at that playoff run and against the Rams in the super Bowl, and you know, blink of an eye could have went the other way. Bengals were on the verge of winning that game going down to the last play.
Speaker 6: But again, but it doesn't matter.
Speaker 11: The Super Bowl was like twenty years ago at this point. Yeah, I mean, you know, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: If my aunt had nuts, she'd be my uncle.
Speaker 3: I get it out of your mind. And so I look at this whole thing. I just don't think it's gonna get any better. There's no hope whatsoever for the Bengals. That was an aberration. Making it to the playoffs. Goes to show you the parody of the NFL that even bad teams and bad franchises have a chance of making it to the super Bowl. It's not like we're building a dynasty here in Cincinnati. It's going in the other direction at this point. And for all intents and purposes, if I'm a fan of this team, which I am, the silence from the family from ownership is definite. They often don't communicate. They aren't now they're saying, Hey, we're sticking with Zach, We're sticking with Duke Tobin. We're gonna Most teams would have let him go and made changes after the loss last week. Not this club. They're going to double down on stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: The lack of communication is very loud and according to speaking of Zach Taylor and his extension, according to Paul Dayner Junior of The Athletic he said that Zach Taylor is under contract for the next two seasons.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 11: He says that the Bengals signed him to a second five year extension after their runs the AFT Championship game back in twenty twenty two. And he says, but the Bengals never announced that second extension, which is why nobody knows about it. So Paul Dayner Junior.
Speaker 6: Just calling them out.
Speaker 11: I love how everybody's just calling it all out just aaron the grievances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, the hope is left.
Speaker 3: I just wonder next season they're trying to sell season tickets to get people hyped for twenty twenty six. We'll have a healthy Joe Burrow. They didn't do anything in free agency. We'll see what happens in the offseason here. Their draft picks have missed on most of them defensively speaking, I just wonder what help.
Speaker 5: We've got a draft?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because they're so good.
Speaker 3: If everything stays the same, How many empty seats so you see next year at pay Corps.
Speaker 2: I'd imagine that in the jumps. Are you sure are lots.
Speaker 11: Of bags overheads?
Speaker 5: It ain't good?
Speaker 11: And we want to happy Joe Burrow. I mean he said last week, he goes, If I'm going to keep doing this, I want to have fun doing it. I don't think Joe Burrow is having any fun right now. There's no way you can have fun.
Speaker 3: There's no way you could be having fun watching this fall apart during the Guys Prime. How you can't make the playoffs with Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase and t Higgins is in Chase Brown for that matter, is beyond explanation. When you have that powerful offense, you know how bad you got to suck on defense to miss the playoffs.
Speaker 5: You got to get a whole new defense.
Speaker 2: Awful, awful, It's just awesome. To multi year project.
Speaker 11: I know.
Speaker 3: Dan said, well, you may be able to fix this to the off season, not not as disinterested they are and keep getting talented the same thing.
Speaker 2: There's no hope. There's no hope. By the way, do you know what today is?
Speaker 1: The Sarah?
Speaker 3: Do you know what today marks? Where were you so thirty years ago?
Speaker 11: Nine days until opening Day?
Speaker 3: Hold on a second here, I have one more football related thing to get to before we get into this.
Speaker 2: Do you know what Okay, thirty years ago today, you were where you were a senior in college?
Speaker 5: Right, Wait on a second. Thirty years ago.
Speaker 11: Oh, I was at Fairfield South Elementary. That's where I was thirty years ago.
Speaker 3: All right, thirty years ago on this date, the Browns played their last game in the state of Ohio and moved to Baltimore thirty years ago today.
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 5: Interesting?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they became.
Speaker 3: The Baltimore Ravens, and then Cleveland got a team and well they probably just should have stayed away based on how they played since then up up in Cleveland today thirty years and they played the Bengals in the final home game.
Speaker 11: Fun fuck you on that day.
Speaker 2: Thirty years ago. I think it was still I was in school.
Speaker 5: Really yeah, it was. Aren't you closed to retirement or what's going on?
Speaker 2: Do you want me to retire? No, because I like doing this day with you don't know, I don't know about that. Maybe you know what. This is the last one. I think I'm done.
Speaker 11: I'm well, actually this is our last snort report of the year. It won't be back until what January whatever?
Speaker 5: That is get me some.
Speaker 2: Hope when it comes to sports snort lips.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we got in ninety nine days until opening.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 11: Versus Circle and February twenty first it was announced that's gonna be the first spring training game and Sunny Arizona of course happening right there in Goodyear against the Guardians.
Speaker 5: Sunthing bone Tyl.
Speaker 2: The Red's looking for next season.
Speaker 11: Tw we're looking. You know what, if you just never know what you're gonna get. Everything is always a surprise with all of these teams. The other day they did announce their twenty twenty six Hall of Fame in Depth Pies. One of my favorite players.
Speaker 5: Of all time. Brandon.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, that dude, Panela and Reggie Sanders so good line up there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love Brandon Phillips is hysterical.
Speaker 11: Brandon Phillips is the player that really got me to love the Reds. I mean, I was in high school watching that guy and I don't know, he just he's honestly one of my favorite players of all time.
Speaker 2: I miss that dude.
Speaker 3: The that Dude BP show when Seg would interview him in the dugout before Red Home came.
Speaker 5: Oh how did that gets?
Speaker 2: So good? That was such good radio.
Speaker 11: So good, really good.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it was so funny.
Speaker 11: God, listen the sex questions player.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but that I will say that that that that's up there, Banana.
Speaker 2: Phone to me.
Speaker 11: We got it. We got to bring them back. So that's just going with our Reds of course, red going on.
Speaker 2: That Dude BP. It's the that Dude BP show.
Speaker 11: In the studio.
Speaker 3: I had Brandon in studio and that was going on for for the Winter Caravan, and he was in and and he had heard never heard me talk like before, and his.
Speaker 2: Eyes got massive. Yeah, yeah, yeah, man, he's like he just started to laugh, so I hit. He's like I did the sega.
Speaker 3: So we're with that, dude, be Pete Brandon Brandon, I mean, you know, how what the the baseball the second for or second ban?
Speaker 2: So how long you've been black and oh mysh first.
Speaker 3: Eyes got huge and he laughed for he was howling.
Speaker 11: He is the best.
Speaker 2: He loves that. He just loves all that stuff. I love me some brand Phillips. He was great, absolutely.
Speaker 5: Great, so definitely deserved. Yeah, they're going to do that in April. So right, there's a little bit of the Yeah.
Speaker 3: One of the I would say, Brandon Phillips one of the great all time Red personalities. And keep in mind, in my lifetime, which is long, you know, there's Pete Rose and a whole.
Speaker 2: Bunch of others.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the little debbies, the debbies, right, we never knew what that meant. We thought it was.
Speaker 3: One of the all time great Reds. If you had a Reds Personality Hall of Fame, Brandon Phillips would be there.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 11: I feel like that's the last time that we were like really cool.
Speaker 3: You know exactly all right, more futility from the Bengals. We'll see what the Reds have to offer.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Being a sports fan in Cincinnati is tough work. She's Sarah Elise the Snort Report on this Wednesday morning. She's back sometime first of the year. Then again, maybe not, maybe the roads won't be icy. She can come and Sarah.
Speaker 11: Lease flooded right now, like I said, flooded. Flooding from Bakor Stadium, and it's my house is underwater.
Speaker 5: So we got problems.
Speaker 11: You know why you got to wipe off those seats.
Speaker 3: Well, you know you could stay home and pretend you I would just bring some snow in from the outside and throw it on your couch and then sit there and pretend you're at the game.
Speaker 2: I could do that.
Speaker 5: Nothing but wet butts and disappointment.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas on Happy New Year. We'll talk next year.
Speaker 5: You too, have a good one.
Speaker 3: You too take care of Sloane here on the home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred Deputy OLDWT Cincinnati