Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. Well, nothing's fishy today in Colorado as the Dodgers are wrapping up this four game series, and I'm joined right now by today's starting first baseman, the one and only Dalton Rushing. Thanks a lot for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm happy to be on with you, David always.
Speaker 1: Hey, I can't believe how much people made a big deal about you just pointing something out in observation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'd like to say on air that there was there were no cheating scandals. Kind of jump into conclusion there, and we know the hitting guys over there, like they're just doing whatever they have to do to win, and we respect that.
Speaker 1: And you know this better than most. Will Klein told me that he was aware that he was tipping, and tipping is part of this game.
Speaker 2: Now, correct, Yeah, I mean every team does it, every team takes advantage of it. If you don't, you're kind of behind the eight ball. And honestly, hots off of them. They played the game the right way and I'm sorry that it came off the way it did. No hard feelings to any of those guys. But I'm glad we could create some team morale for them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt boosting morale from La to Denver. Hey, speaking of boosting morale, I've never the reality is your chances to start at this point are far and few between what you did yesterday to allow Ryan Ward to have the start at first base is one of the most unselfish things I've seen a teammate do. Can you take us through two nights ago when Dave Roberts approached you and how you knew this was all starting to formulate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had caught that night and it was a day game turnaround. He had let me know a couple of days in advance that I was planning to play first base the next two days after I catch, and so yeah, I knew that was the plan. But as soon as I saw him walking up to me, I kind of knew where it was going. There were obviously there were no hard feelings whatsoever. That's that's an opportunity that guy's been waiting for for over six years now, and rightfully so, he deserved every bet of it. He deserved to get out there and scrap him to knocks and RBI and have a really good debut, honestly, and yeah, it was. It was just, honestly, just paying back the game that he's played over the last six years and deserving the right to be out on the field yesterday. I felt as if he's, like I said, he earned It wasn't a handout to him more so than anyone else. So, yeah, it was a cool moment. He had family coming in town. There's there's no reason for me to take a day like that. It's so special for him take it away from him at all.
Speaker 1: Did you really finish Dave Roberts's sentence before he could finish his own?
Speaker 2: I did. He was. He came up and approached me and said, hey, this is what I'm thinking. And before he even told me what he was thinking, I was like, I know where your head's at and he deserves it. And he was like, I appreciate you being so open minded about it and obviously giving him that opportunity, And like I said, he he made the most of his opportunity. And I was just so happy for him to be able to see him get his first one at this level. Every single first one at this level was pretty special, and just for him to get it after so many years of grinding in the minor leagues was pretty special.
Speaker 1: How well do you know Ryan Ward?
Speaker 2: I've played. I played a good hand but of or a handful of games with him. He's one of my favorite teammates that I've actually got to play with. He's such a good dude, same guy on the field off the field, always down to have a good time, whether we're on the field or off the field. I think that's what you love most about players, the openness to just be themselves regardless of how the game's going, how things are going personally, and that's something I'll never forget about him as a teammate.
Speaker 1: So much is made of the Dodgeress payroll, but yesterday the right side of the infield was guys that played together in Oklahoma City, Ryan Ward and Alex Freeland, and then you have Hayesng Kim and yourself who got at bats yesterday and playing regularly. Do you feel like you guys don't get enough credit for being part of the fabric of this team. And it's not just throwing dollars at the big name guys.
Speaker 2: No, I wouldn't say that. I would say it's it's honestly more for the people on the outside looking in. Everyone thinks that we buy our team, and I think the beauty of it all is, Yeah, we got some big contract guys on this team, but at the same time, those big contract guys buy into the youth. They buy into teaching the young guys the way it goes, the way they came up, the way they taught the game, the way they learned the game. I think that's what makes this team as good as we are. Obviously, as special as we are. Having guys like Freddy Mookie talk will all these guys around a clubhouse and just to be able to share their experiences, share their ideas with us as young players, it's pretty special and it allows us to kind of maximize our potential down the road.
Speaker 1: Dalton Rushing is our guest. He's starting at first base in the final game of this four game series. I watched you actually take more aggressive ground balls at Dodger Stadium before you left for this road trip. So how comfortable are you ready to go today?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm ready to go. I've had some time there in the past, obviously it's been a couple of years, had a handful of games there, last year. But it's just a game of baseball. You get one pitch at the time. You treat it like fundamentals or everything out there and even more so out there of them behind the play.
Speaker 1: Are you having more joy and enjoying yourself more this year than you did last year?
Speaker 2: David, I think you know the answer to that. Obviously. It's been pretty fun here early on, and successes came my way. I'm taking better at bats, I'm carrying myself with more confidence on the field. But uh, at the end of the day, it's we still gotta win baseball games, and that's that's the main thing about being a Dodger, and the fact that we've done so to a certain extent so early is pretty special. But we need to get out here and get another one today.
Speaker 1: It's great being around you. You're wise beyond your years. You're more mature than I am, and you're double you're I'm double your age. You're way more mature than I am, and I can learn a lot even from Dalton Rushing. So thank you for the time and keep it going and keep that smile.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Thanks past. It's always good to talk