Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. It's the Dodgers and Rockies getting said for first pitch, the Dodgers getting ready for Game three of this four game series at Corsefield. And we haven't had a chance to catch up with a proud USC trojan who just got called.
Speaker 2: Up last week.
Speaker 1: And that's the one and only fight on Kyle Hurt. Kyle, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: We're gonna play it this straight today, Kyle.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't want any shenanigans from you, got it.
Speaker 2: What's it been like?
Speaker 1: Obviously, you put in a lot of work over the last year and a half to get back and you finally got the opportunity. What's it been like to settle in with the team.
Speaker 3: It's been a lot of fun, you know, being down in the bullpens. It's a good time. There's a lot of good players down there, and a lot of good players on this team.
Speaker 2: I'm just excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Alex Vessi is two lockers down from you. He's one of the leaders of the bullpen. Dog says, is there like a hazing thing like they do? At USC or is this just played straight?
Speaker 2: I think we're just playing and straight. We're having a good time.
Speaker 1: How have you fit in? How easy is it for veterans to welcome in guys like you.
Speaker 2: I think it's pretty easy. You know.
Speaker 3: They tease me a little bit, but it's all in good fun. So I'm having a good time.
Speaker 1: What makes the Dodgers so special as far as the way they prepare their relief pitchers specifically to get ready to come into games.
Speaker 3: I think everybody's opened to whatever roles that that's opened that day, so everybody's ready to throw every day and.
Speaker 1: Just get some outs. What's it been like for you? Can you describe, you know, the light at the end of the tunnel. I know it was tough being at camel Back Ranch for an extended period of rehab time after your elbow surgery, But how did you get through it?
Speaker 2: And what's it like to finally achieve that goal.
Speaker 3: The other day?
Speaker 2: It was very rewarding.
Speaker 3: I was very nervous. It felt like a very long time coming as well, you know, not making the team at a camp was it was kind of emotional for me. I guess because I I've been working so hard to get back here and Tom and John's not an easy thing to get through, and I did get through it. And you know, once I got that call from Scott Hennessey saying that I'm going to the big leagues again, you know, I was pretty emotional, and I was kind of nervous the first couple of days I was here, and then I was extremely nervous for that first outing and I'm just really happy I got my feet wet again and I'm just excited to move on and help this team win.
Speaker 2: Where did those emotions come from?
Speaker 3: Just kind of thinking back in the middle of the summer last year, just like why am I doing this rehab? Why am I here? Because there's days where I just didn't want to go into CBR and get my work in, And just myself knowing that I just did what I need to do every day to get back on the field was just so rewarding the other day when I got back out on the big league field.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, can you describe that at Dodger Stadium coming in against the Mets.
Speaker 2: How did you control the emotions? It was pretty hard.
Speaker 3: I was kind of all over the place, like my delivery was a little off, but it was just so exciting and exhilarating.
Speaker 2: To be honest with you, did.
Speaker 1: You settle in after maybe the first pitch, the second pitch, the second batter.
Speaker 3: I think I settled in after the third out. I'm excited to get back out there again and show what I can do.
Speaker 1: Kyle hurt is joining us on this Sunday afternoon at Chorus Field.
Speaker 2: Ryan Ward, twenty eight years old, got the call up.
Speaker 1: Kyle, you know him, well, how happy are you for Ryan Ward to get this opportunity?
Speaker 3: I'm pumped for man. He's I've been around with the last three four years and he's a great team guy, great personality, always same person every day, and I just couldn't be more happy for him.
Speaker 1: He kind of voiced the same type of emotions that you had in a different way where he was wondering when was he going to get.
Speaker 2: The call up?
Speaker 1: What did he have to do to get that call up? You've seen his road? Do you think that this is the game reward his hard work?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent?
Speaker 3: You know, he was the best player in arguably baseball last year numbers wise. He mean, he hit thirty six home runs, drove in one hundred and twenty something guys like he's. He deserves to be here and I'm I'm so happy for him.
Speaker 1: All right, Kyle, thanks a lot for the time there's nobody around, Kyle, you could just let loose, let that voice out like a lion.
Speaker 3: I'm a right.
Speaker 1: Always great to catch up with you, Great to see that smile, and congratulations on all the hard work that you put in paying off now.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dave, I appreciate it.