Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begune.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth. This is world Champion Dodger Talk. Here we go again.
Speaker 2: We get right running back to.
Speaker 3: Get in on the show called eight six six eight seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. And now your host, here's Tim kakes Ah.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers coming back home after a five and one road trip, so close to coming back perfect after taking all three in Washington, DC over the weekend. The Dodgers had the lead in the seventh inning today against the Blue Jays, nine outs away from a three games sweep at the Rogers Center and a perfect six to zero road trip, but the bullpen for the first time this year, gives it up a couple of runs in the seventh from Jack Dryer and Blake Tryin, and then Ben Caspirau's the go ahead run in the eighth inning as the Blue Jays comeback and win it four to three. Thanks for joining us here on Dodger Talk on AM FI seventy LA Sports Phone lines wide open eight sixty six, nine eighty seven to two five seventy. Jump on board. Let's talk some Dodgers baseball eight sixty six ninety eighty seven two five seventy on a day in which show hey Otani did have his best stuff, and even without his best control and his best stuff, you know, from fastball to all of his austby pitches, still good enough to get a win. Six innings, one run, four hits, two strikeouts, a walk, didn't have a lot of strikeouts, didn't get a lot of swinging misses. In this game, the Blue Jays put the ball in play. He threw ninety six pitches, and he labored. He had traffic on the base pass in the first three innings. He gave up an RBI double the Hey Sus Sanchez in the third to get the scoring going, but then in the fourth of one two three inning, then the fifth of one two three inning, in the sixth inning and a lead off double, but he got out of it thanks to a great defensive play to get Vlad Guerrero at third on a base running blow under, and then got a fly ball out and a ground ball out fourteen pitches later, and he was through six innings and the Dodgers had a three to one lead going to the bullpen. But Jack Dryer just did not have his control today. A leadoff walk comes back to Biden. How about the four runs the Blue Jay scored, Three of the four came off walks. Again, walks will kill you, and it was evident today with three of the four Blue Jays runs coming from walks from Dodgers pitchers. That was a big problem for the Dodgers today, who quite frankly, you know, should be coming home six and oh on this roach if this is a game they should have had, this is a game the bullpen has to lock down. It's a depleted Blue Jays team, a Blue Jays team that had lost six in a row, a Blue Jays team looking for anything as far as momentum to build on, and you just gave it to them. Now, the Dodgers won't see them, they live in town. But still, the Dodgers could have been coming home on a happy flight, feeling good about a six and zero road trip, still feeling good about a five to one road trip. But certainly it would have been nice to get the sweep over the Toronto Blue Jays. Eight sixty sixth nine eighty seven two five seventy Todgers baseball is brought to by Medello Medello the mark of of fighter. We're gonna, We're gonna hear coming up in a little bit from Will Smith. An interesting play today from Will who had an RBI double in the seventh eighth inning. Runner on third and Jimenez tries to steal second. David Schneider is standing at third base and Will Smith throws through Ben Conspirius on the mound. Will Smith gets a great throw down to second base. It's a bang bang play at second. Miguel Rojas get attempts to catch the ball and throw a quick tag, a hard tag on the base runner Jimenez, but the ball comes out of his glove and goes into shallow center field. Runner is safe at second and David Schneider walks home from third in what was the go ahead and winning run for the Toronto Blue Jays. And you can make a case maybe you shouldn't have thrown through. Dave Roberts the Clubhouse show said that they felt good like he was gonna be out at second. I don't know. It was a bang bang play at second base. You know, the replay showed his hand got in there pretty much underneath the tag if it was a clean tag. I guess the worst case is it's second and third still with one out, But as it is, the ball gets off, Miguel Rojas's glove goes into shallow center field, and the go ahead run comes in and Will Smith gets credited with the air by the way, one of two Dodger heirs today. You have to play clean baseball, no matter if you're the Dodgers and you're the two time defending champions, or you're the Tampa Bay Rays, or if you're the Toronto Blue Jays and having lost six in a row. You got to play clean baseball, good pitching, clean baseball, timely hitting. And the Dodgers didn't play clean baseball today. They got some good defensive plays when they needed them, they got some timely hitting, and they got good pitching from show Hey Otani. But for whatever reason, the Dodgers' bullpen just did not have it today against the Blue Jays, Jack Dryer a third of an inning, two runs, three hits, a walk, had zero control out there on the mound. Blake Trining comes in and Harris's runners on base and gets out of it, pitching two thirds of an inning. Ben Kisparius not getting the swing and missus he was getting the last two years they were getting contact on the on on his pitches, a one out walk, a one out single, and then they score again on the air credited to Will Smith, but really goes off the glove of Miguel Ross's second base. So Dodgers just need to clean it up if they play a cleaner game defensively and the pitching, you know, limiting the walks that they did today. Dodger's winning this game and they're coming back home with a six to zero road trip. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. We've got some sad Dodger news we'll get to in a couple of minutes. A passing of a Dodger. Great. Let's go out to the phones. Cliff and Hermosa Beach start things off here on this Wednesday edition of Dodger Talk on n five to seventy high.
Speaker 4: Cliff, Hey, how you doing, Sam?
Speaker 5: Thanks taking my call. I could go just to Meggie Rowe.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: I just wanted to kind of go into the relief pitching end of it. Uh, you know, Dryer was just awful. And I don't understand why Roberts didn't pull him before Varshow got to the plate. We had this, we had this sweep in the bag. I mean, uh, Dryer was all over the place. The balls were over their head on every batter, and Roberts is looking at his notebook.
Speaker 5: What's he doing? He's been on the you know, he's managed the team for how many years?
Speaker 3: He should know.
Speaker 5: These pitches like the back of his hand. But Dryer doesn't have it. Get him out of there. And if you let him pitch the bar Show and he singled in the run, well they.
Speaker 2: Let him pitch the Springer before that. I appreciate the phone call, Cliff. You can make an argument Blake Trining was getting hot quick and Rick Monday mentioned it. You know, you get eight warm up pitches, you get ten or twelve pitches down in the bullpen to get loose. You know you should be hot at that point. And making a case for Blake trinon, I could say you could have gone to him for George Springer after you give up a lead off walk this night or two batters later, hine him in singles to center you got first and second with one out and it's a three to one game, and at that point through three batters, well you've seen a lot out of Jack Dryer and it wasn't good. Just didn't have the command today, wasn't getting the outs and had his back up against the wall with George Springer coming to the plate. Now, you could have gone at that point to go to Blake trinon to pitch to George Springer. You know, you could very easily have said you want to go righty on righty, and I can make a very strong case for that. Jack Dryer the left he didn't have it. Springer's up there and what does he do? Sprays the ball the right field, almost hits it out for an RBI double. Then var Show is out there. You leave him in to pitch the var Show and var Show does the exact same thing, drives in a run. It's the right handed hitter back to back right handed hitters facing a lefty and Jack Dryer didn't have it. I don't know, you're right. I would have gone a little quicker trigger there to get Blake trying into the game, especially with the top of the lineup and two back to back Righty's coming up and you're clinging to a three to one lead. Now, I understand you want to let guys kind of battle out of situations. See what they got, you know, let them fight out of the mess that they've made. I get all that, but it kind of felt like Jack Dryer was just spinning in circles out there and there was no relief in sight for him. I kind of felt like you needed to go get them, but they leave him out there. Springer doubles, Marshall singles, and just like that, it's a three to three game and Blake Trining comes in a walk, a swinging strike and a groundof for a fielder's choice to get out of it. And that was the seventh inning for the Dodgers. A tough way to lose the game. And if you're showy Otani man, you pitch your butt off for six innings. You didn't have your great stuff, but you certainly had good enough stuff to win the game. The spring racing season is here at Santa Anita Park. Full slate of racing every weekend through mid June. Find out more at Santa Anita dot com slash events. We'll take a time out we'll come back, we'll get to more of your phone calls, and we'll get to the big news of the day off the field for the Dodgers as well. Tough one for the Dodgers in Toronto, gave up at three to one lead in the seventh, go ahead run in the eighth and the Blue Jays winning four to three to salvage that series. As the Dodgers come back still, but they're very good. Five and one road trip that included a sweep in Washington, DC and a series win against the Toronto Blue Jays eight sixty sixth ninety seven two five to seventy. Dodger Talk continues here on seventy ELA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: AM five seventy LA Sports be anywhere at any time and you can hear past episodes of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: All of those things.
Speaker 3: Search AM five seventy on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: We're streaming online.
Speaker 1: We stream every game too. Come find it.
Speaker 3: Back to Dodger Talk on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Tim K's back with you here on Dodger Talk. Thanks for being with us on AFI seven DLA Sports Listening live on the iHeart radio app. I know that's a big thing. I got my wife and daughter the beat right now listening on the iHeart Radio app and joining the little spring break here in southern California. So thanks for listening and being part of the show. Got the Petrol Some Money show coming up in about ten to fifteen minutes here on a FFI seven DLA Sports. Guess what's Steve Hartman in with Matt money Smith until six o'clock and then it's Clippers basketball against the Oklahoma City Thunder Adams gott pregame at six. Tip off is at seven Dodgers Loos in Toronto, a game they were up three to one in the seventh inning. Show hey Otani went the six innings, turned it over to the bullpen for the final nine outs, but Jack Ryer gives it up. Blake trying to had to close out the seventh inning, and then Ben Casparius gives up to go ahead run in the eighth inning as the Blue Jays win the final game of the three game series four to three. Dodgers now nine and three overall on this season. A walk early in the game by show Hey Otani, well, he extends his on base streak now to forty three straight games going back to last year. He has now tied for six longest in Dodgers' history. David and Longba, thanks for being patient. Welcome to Dodger Talk here on a five seventy. HOWI you doing, David?
Speaker 5: Good Tim? How are you buddy doing good?
Speaker 2: Thank you? What's going on?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 7: First of all, you know five and one road trip, I'll take it. No, we did play well Washington. We took two out of three from Toronto. I'll take the five and one road trip. Second thing, in regards to what happened today, my heartfelt condolens is go to Migey Row and the Dodger family on the passing of a legend. You know, whether Davie Lope was coaching for the Nationals, the Phillies, the Padres, you know, he was still a fan favorite. He was very, very very polite with.
Speaker 5: The fans, signing autographs, and he'd keep you the time of day.
Speaker 7: And one more thing and I'll let you go real quick, Tim, tell Petrick some money.
Speaker 4: Stop picking on you, all.
Speaker 2: Right, David. It's all in fun. It's all in fun. I love those guys. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the number. Uh, we'll get back to the phone calls in a minute. Let's hear from Will Smith, who had the throwing air credit to him, even though wasn't his faults. It was a ball that was perfectly thrown down. The second base goes off the glove of Miguel Rojas in the shallow center field and the winning run comes across, but he gets credited with the air. Blue Jays winning four to three to go back out to the Rogers Center. Dodger ketcher Will Smith with the media, Yeah, I tud.
Speaker 1: You fish Well.
Speaker 8: I think it was more just grinding through his command. He was kind of over the place early. He kind of settled in later in those later innings. Yeah, stuff look good. Just kind of the command today, which which happens. I thought he did a good shot competing and you know, limiting him to one run.
Speaker 6: I feel like just once you were kind of with him the bullpen that in general, this game kind of just felt the ground when it came to the pitching staff.
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, I mean they're they're a good team. You know, we kind of put it to him last two days, but uh, they're a good team. They put together good at bats. Their pictures were throwing the ball well today kept a minute and uh yeah.
Speaker 6: When they have the situation with runners on the corner like in the eighth like kind of what's the read on those plays and it was that kind of you look back on, like the right decision of just kind of the wrong result there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we talked.
Speaker 8: About it all the time, that that plays called from the dugout. We we you know, we thought we're gonna get an out right, there have been big out that situation obviously, Yeah, a little bit of throw what we got.
Speaker 6: With the abs challenge early. Did you think Shoha was going for it on the mound or was that one I.
Speaker 8: Was a high target then he pulled the heater down. I thought it was there.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, absolutely have a usual command today. What's that a driyer when you came in?
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, it's hit a couple of sliders, just couldn't get it down. Was leaving it up. Yeah, I expect, you know, mouse back guying for him next time.
Speaker 6: Just knowing what I think he was going through today. What was it like to see him pushing to be in there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's cool, you know, obviously it's it's it's there's nothing worse than losing a family member like that. So he's he's going through emotions, he's going through the process of of you know, recovery and all that and healing and processing it. So we're here for him. He seemed our x today. Uh, you know, it's a he's good to happ him out there on the field.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Will Smith talking to the media. He said, a better throw gets him in his at second base. I'd argue, that's a really good throw. I mean, that was a missile down to second base and right there glove side ready for a tag, and Miguel Rojas right at his glove, maybe just a little premature to try to slap the tag on Jimenez to get him at second and get the out the second one of the inning, and he goes off his glove into shallow center field and David Schneider walks in from third to the go ahead run and the Blue Jays went at four to three. Daniels Jeliers possessed the home run forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card. Just visit am FI seventy LA sports dot Com keyword home run, Enter your name and you could win Daniels Jeweler's own the Dream. Blake, my buddy in Colorado checks in on this Wednesday afternoon after a Dodger's four to three loss. Hi, Blake, how you doing, Buddy? Good good?
Speaker 9: I'm relish at the Dodger's lutch. But we had a good road trip.
Speaker 2: He had a green road trip at five and one. That was that was phenomenal, Blake, Yeah it is.
Speaker 9: Let's hope we can win this home series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what'd you think of show? Hey o Tani? Through six innings? You just heard Will Smith say, uh, he really grinded out there and did well and was able to get back some control issues he was having early on. Get some swinging missus in the fourth and fifth inning. He was a really good six innings for showy Otani. You wouldn't call it dominating, Blake, but good enough to get the win, right, Yeah, Yeah, no doubt about it. Five on to one road trip, you'll take it now. They come back home against Corey Seger and the Rangers and then three games against the New York Mets next week. So what's new in Colorado for you, Blake. What's going on out there?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I'm going to Friday and Shadow Day Dodgeo games in La in Colorado.
Speaker 2: Oh, when they come to Colorado?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, is that coming it? Don't I need to look at the schedule here, Blake, that's coming up next Friday, next Friday, Saturday and Sunday the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth. Yeah, so you're gonna be out there Friday and Saturday. Right, Yeah, sounds good. Well, make sure you check in from cors Field. Are you still getting hooked up at your favorite burger stand there?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Nice? Taking care of you, all right, my man. We will check with you in a couple of days. All right. When well, I'm back next week on Dodger Talk after the finale of the Mets series next Wednesday. How about that?
Speaker 9: Okay, you next Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Talked to you there. There he goes my guy, Blake in Colorado. Tough loss for the Dodgers today, they fall to the Blue Jays four to three. It was with heavy hearts that Miguel Rojas was out there on the field today. And if you're watching the game on Sports in at LA, you saw the side of the hat of shoey Otani and a lot of the Dodger players, and it had MR for Miguel Rojas and it was in tribute to Miguel, who did not play in the game yesterday. We all know he was taken out of the lineup before the first pitch because the family matters. As we found out, his father passed away of a heart attack down in Venezuela. So he was on the phone with the family in Venezuela in Miami talking things through and figuring everything out and elected to stay with the team in Toronto. He actually said he wanted to play last night, but Freddie Freeman and Dave rob told him to stay back of the hotel and be, you know, with his family on the phone and FaceTime, which he did. He was in the lineup today and certainly you can see his teammates rallying around him. And how much he means to this Dodgers team. Really one of the leaders on the field in that clubhouse. It means a heck of a lot to this Dodgers team. And as he did a year ago in the championship run. Of course, the big home run in the ninth inning of Game seven of the World Series we all know, but one of the good guys on and off the field, Miguel Rojas, thinking about him and his family in the next couple of days and as they grieved the loss of his family done in Venezuela. And also big news today in the Dodger world sad news. We passed it along team the pregame show, the passing a former Dodger great, Davey Lopes today at the age of eighty, a member of the Dodgers record setting infield during the seventies and eighties ten years with the Dodgers, drafted by the Dodgers came up and of course was with that great infield with Steve Garvey, Bill Russell and Ron Say eight and a half seasons they were together. Never going to see that ever in baseball. The same four infielders together for that length of time went to four World Series, four time All Star won the World Series in eighty one. Of course, with the Dodgers. No Dodgers played more games at second base than Davy Lops and thirty four only Moury Wills has batted a lead off more for the Dodgers than Davey Lopes. And again he established himself as one of the most prolific base dealers to ever. We're a uniform in baseball, not just a Dodger uniform, but a uniform in baseball. And he played twenty years almost in the major leagues with the Dodgers and the A's and the Cubs and the Astros. I mean, as a Dodger alone, Davey Lopes stole four hundred and eighteen bases, the second highest in franchise history, only behind Maury Wills. He holds the franchise record eighty three percent success rate stealing bases. And that's you just don't see that in the game anymore. That dominance as a base dealer. And when he was done playing, he was a manager of Milwaukee for a few years, and then Da Lops a coach for the Orioles, the Padres, the Phillies, and for the Dodgers. Remember twenty eleven to twenty fifteen, he was the first base coach for the Los Angeles Dodgers. So a sad day. He'd been battling Parkinson's at the age of eighty passed away today with his family around him. So our condolences to them. But we celebrate the life of Davey Lopes, one of the Dodger greats, really one of the good guys for the Dodgers in the history of this organization that meant so much to the Dodgers during that decade run with himself, Ron Say, Bill Russell, and Steve Garming. By the way, Ron Say will be on with the Petrols of Money show coming up, I believe about five thirty ish five to twenty five. Ron Say scheduled to join Steve Hartman and Matt Muney Smith, So you don't want to tune in for that. So a sad day all around for the Dodgers, the passing of Miguel Rojas's father and the passing of Davy Lopes at the age of eighty. Well, that's going to do it for Dodger Talk on this Wednesday afternoon. Many thanks to me. Thanks to you for being a part of the show listening, whether you're out and about and join the beach and boy in the Pool, you're at work wherever you may be, or if you're podcast in the show, thank you so much for being a part of postgame Dodger Talk. I'll be back with off night Dodger Talk Tomorrow night at seven o'clock Pacific, and then we'll be back with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck on Friday at six getting you ready for first pitch from Dodger Stadium as the Boys are back to start a six game homestand three against the Texas Rangers and three against the New York Mets. Friday night, Tyler Glass Now and Tomorrow Rocker the pitching matchup seven to ten, first pitch, and again Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck gets it all started at six pm. Tough loss for the Dodgers, had a chance for a perfect road trip, but they settle for a five to one road trip after letting one get away. Today at the Rogers Center in Toronto, Blue Jays went in four to three. Coming up next Sepetrol Some Money Show, Matt Mouney, Smith and Steve Hartman Next ONNDAYI seventy LA Sports Live Everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: We all left the up.
Speaker 2: Of the Welchers. Here for the Pope