Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: It's the final game of the exhibition season for the Dodgers and a great baseball man back in the Dodger organization since he took over third base coaching during the twenty fifteen season, has remained in the organization and is a very important voice for Andrew Friedman. That is the one and only Ron Rennicky, who just slapped high fives with the World Series MVP and opening day starter Yoshi Yamamoto. Ron, thanks a lot for the time. Oh sure, anytime You've seen a lot of baseball, Ron. We were just talking about this. Have you ever seen a pitcher do what Yamamoto did in last year's postseason?
Speaker 1: No, we were just talking watching Mooki out there trying to throw the dark psych Yamamoto was doing last year, and I you know, for a guy physically to do that and then bounce back to next year and hopefully he stays healthy all year this year, but pretty incredible. So so whatever he's doing in his workouts, which is pretty fun to watch him do all that is amazing and really keeping keeping a body that's not this huge guy in a place where physically nobody else can do.
Speaker 2: I guess we also forget the fact that during that eighteen inning game of Game three, he was warming up in the bullpen. I feel like we forget that part of the equation as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, pretty amazing, obviously great year, but but just physically to be able to do that. And you know, I think everybody's trying to figure out how do we keep players healthy? And when you see something like that, that's when you get Bookie out there throwing the darts like he was. So but it's a it's a big problem I think now in the major leagues is keeping people healthy. We know if we do it, we've got a great team, and other teams feel the same way.
Speaker 2: When you talk about that and Yamamoto and how he relates to staying healthy, it seems like the Japanese these pictures still believe in what Major league pitchers used to believe thirty years ago. The more you throw, the more you're going to be prepared to endure one hundred and sixty two game season, thirty starts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's hard to say which one is the right way to go. But whatever we're doing now, it doesn't seem to be working real well, and everybody realizes it's because guys are throwing harder, they're spinning the ball harder. There's way more effort into it. But how do we physically train them to be able to do that and still hold up through a really long season? And it's difficult. So I think anytime you see something that works, let's try it and see and see how it goes. If it works, great, and I don't think there's any harm in doing it.
Speaker 2: Ron Rennicky is our guest. He was part of the Dodgers that took down the Big Red machine in the early eighties to their dominance in the seventies. You've seen the A's of the mid seventies win three in a row. You saw the Yankees twenty six years ago win three in a row. What is it about this Dodger team that has them believing that they can do that as well?
Speaker 1: Well? Certainly it starts with the talent of the players. I mean, you look at the lineup. I was looking at it two nights ago and I was like, I don't want to pitch that lineup. And you look at our starting staff, you look at the bullpen, so physically we have, we have the tools to be able to do that. And then the metal part of it, which you know, I get to see because I'm here with them and get to see what happens underneath. Is a special group of guys. It's a group of guys that understand how to win, how to prepare to win, and that that comes in all different phases. I talk about Mooki and how he prepares well. Other guys can't physically do what he does, so other guys prepare in a different way, And it's just trying to figure out and each individual what you need to give this guy to be ready to play a game and to play for one sixty two.
Speaker 2: There he is a member of the book club. I got to get some books from Ron Rennicky.
Speaker 1: Yes,