Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on A five seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while it's.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city. No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadakas, terrible person, He's the worst.
Speaker 2: And Matt money Smith.
Speaker 1: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe.
Speaker 2: Don't miss an episode. We're with you. Yeah, follow the Petros in Money Show.
Speaker 3: Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadakas and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea.
Speaker 4: Sellowing to you Petros in Money A five seventy LA Sports. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. We're going till three thirty, already hour two here. It is a one to three thirty show to day because we've got Clippers basketball coming up at four thirty. They are in Toronto, so early one with Adam Auslin on pregame. That's going to hold through the beginning of next week as well. MLK Day on Monday, we know is the NBA from pretty much nine am Pacific all the way through late into the night, and the Clips got the midday affair out in the district. They will take on the Wizards at noon, so we'll be on after that game and postgame from Adam probably around four o'clock. And then Tuesday it'll be another two to four show as they will finish up this roadie in Chicago. So Clippers in our way, but hey, at least they've won eleven of their last thirteen and are creeping back to five hundred and just a game out of the play and at this point.
Speaker 1: Clippers in our way, but hey, but hey, thank you for just.
Speaker 4: A game out of the play in tournament.
Speaker 1: Well, we appreciate your patriotge. No matter if we're on early today, late Monday, early Tuesday, this has been scheduled. Talk on the Petrolsen Money Show on Anti seventy LA Sports. You're home with the Dodgers who just signed Kyle Tucker. Our schedule on Thursday. We are out in beautiful Irvine, California to enjoy the pregame festivities at the marketplace for Lakers Clippers. Now when the Lakers or the Clippers play, Matt a lot of people don't know this because they don't go down to South Orange County much down to Irvine. But I'll tell you what. That place pops off for Laker pregame, the marketplace, the whole thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like a it's like an annual holiday three times a year to four times a year. When they do this, you know, the whole city shuts down. And you're talking about a you know, massive industrial city, I mean pumping out hundreds of millions of dollars in GDP, and the whole place just shuts down for being part of Lakers part be part of it.
Speaker 1: And Tim Kats has beg publicly for a proclamation from the mayor of Irvine, so we are looking forward to that. David Vassey is going to join us next to talk about the Dodgers embarrassment of Riches signing Kyle Tucker. Many others. The woman in Chicago on social media and John Traturo's little brother in New York are vociferously angry. Apparently there's a mad charger or excuse me, Padre fan down in San Diego who is bald headed. I'm sorry for the slip of the tongue. I know It's been a sensitive week for the Chargers, although Matt did get a good question in during the press conference with Jim Harbaugh this week, and we will have that later in Lessons Learned. So if there's no insurance, insurance, anybody insurance, let's do the word of.
Speaker 2: The day, his words the word of the day.
Speaker 1: Matt, did you watch the Laker game last night? I know the answer, Nope, And I know why.
Speaker 4: I did not watched the Laker game last night.
Speaker 1: Last night, I watched the Laker game because my favorite thing in the world was happening. The Lakers were losing, and when they're losing and you know they're gonna lose, it's really fun to watch the whole thing down to stretch and watch Billy, Mack and Stu try to figure it out and talk about it, and Billy try to be positive and Stull be negative because he's old and he doesn't care, and them just ignoring when Lebron doesn't get back on defense, or just ignoring when Lebron runs the offense and they're like minus four hundred as opposed to when Luka Doncic runs the offense and their plus and of course Luca doesn't play defense either. But Eric Collins, who actually Eric Collins was one of the first villains for Vin that we had around town. When Vin stopped traveling, Eric Collins started doing the Dodger games that were east of the Rockies. Remember that Eric Collins was doing that for a long time, and then he was working at the Big Ten Network for a long time, and he works at Fox. He's one of the guys that I don't think I've ever done a game with him, but he is a play by play guy at Fox doing college football and basketball, and he's the play by play guy for the Charlotte Hornets. You are familiar with.
Speaker 4: This guy, Matt, I am familiar.
Speaker 1: Here he is on the Charlotte Hernets call. And you know, you're in LA with the Hernets, and you got LaMelo Ball out there freaking out getting his swerve on, and you're beating Douncic in front of all the producers and all the agents and all the fanfare in LA. You're probably going to be pretty excited. Eric Collins a pretty excitable broadcaster. Here he is when Ball pulled that crazy ankle breaking move on eighton Keas Hayton and the crosshairs, just.
Speaker 5: The great palls a fire, He got the switch that he wanted, four in the quarter. Look at the pall hendy right here, step back, one dribble, look at the rotation, the splash and tell them all about it.
Speaker 2: One eighteen big one.
Speaker 1: They are having a great time.
Speaker 4: That was a Howard Dean like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was pretty gigway. I mean it was that good of a play, Matt, I mean, let's hear it again. Here's Eric Collins on that on that mellow ball three.
Speaker 3: Cass Hayton in the cross hairs, just to get in there, pluck, great falls a.
Speaker 5: Fire, He got the switch that he wanted, four in the quarter.
Speaker 1: Look at the ball Hendy right here.
Speaker 5: Step back, one dribble, look at the rotation, the splash and tell them.
Speaker 1: All about it. One and that is dal Purry, This guy f Curry's dad, so very very fun there. And then you know Eric Collins, you know, wait, wait, wait wait, Now that Laker fans have gotten to see Luka Doncic, who is great. There's no doubt about it, but he is. You know, he does have a quarter by quarter dialogue going on.
Speaker 4: With the referees.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I'm the great complainer pretude. He is very complaining, and if he doesn't get calls early in the game, he starts hunting for calls in the rest of the game and gets more and more angry and becomes distracted by the anger. And it's it's not it's not a great look all the complaining. But at the same time, anything anybody does is less annoying than what Lebron does. So I think people will forgive it in today's day and age, but not Eric Collins. He does not like the way Luca complains here he is this guy.
Speaker 2: Is a whiner.
Speaker 3: And the Hornets have a chance to make it hurt a potential foot play.
Speaker 4: This guy is a whiner.
Speaker 2: This guy is a whiner.
Speaker 3: So last night has Hayton in the cross hairs just a get.
Speaker 4: In there.
Speaker 1: Break balls of fire. Wow, yeah, play that cat. So they have this guy is a whiner. They were having a great time last night on the hernets brond this guy is a whiner, which is on K S T N g R. K Stinger.
Speaker 4: Said what it is?
Speaker 2: This guy is a whiner. This guy is a whiner. Is that is a whiner?
Speaker 1: Is one play by play guy that used to be here in town? Does he still do radio for the Hornets. Remember that guy, that play by play guy who left town?
Speaker 4: Not so I thought. I thought your guy did it for a little while.
Speaker 1: Oh Justin Kutcher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, didn't he leave the Wizards and go to the Hornets.
Speaker 1: For a second. No he did not. I don't believe so. No, it's a different guy. It's it's like a farmer.
Speaker 4: Was an update? Is he still doing radio for him?
Speaker 1: Yes, that's what I was asking. Yes he is there.
Speaker 2: You go, This guy is a wider. Yeah, it's time.
Speaker 1: For the number of the day.
Speaker 2: Here's my number number of the day.
Speaker 1: Four.
Speaker 4: I went two and three last week. Not terrible, certainly not good. This week we're looking at four zero. That's what we want. We like the points.
Speaker 1: That's what everybody. That's everybody wants to be a winner, Matt.
Speaker 4: That's what we want. I want people to want win and I want to win. Trying to win. We're taking all the points across the board. Start with the bills. Is it personal?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 4: You know how I feel about the Broncos Bonix versus Josh Allen. Come on, Sean Payton, the piece of garbage that he is, let's go with.
Speaker 1: He Excuse me? Is he a as you referred to earlier in the week, a garbage human being.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes he is, and he deserves all the bad football karma coming his way. The Bills have all the good football karma. Last season of High March Stadium there in western New York. It is the year of Josh Allen. The path is in front of him. They just knocked off what a lot of people, me included, took the Jags last week, one of my losses. Thought it was the best team in the AFC in the tournament, and they did it. How on the legs in the arm of Josh Allen. He's the best player in the postseason. It is the ultimate team sport for certain, not even on the field for half the game, but at that position it does matter. Keep it close, and Josh Alleni, with that has been sort of the mo for bo Nicks this season. He's got ten in the first two years fourth quarter come from behind wins. But the Jaguars did just hammer them in Denver. Chargers' backups held them to six points in that nineteen to three loss. Thirteen of those points came from their defense. So I will take the one and a half points in the Bills as an underdog more points. I will take the Bears as a home dog. I do envision this as Rams win. Bears cover tight game. Rams are a better team, better offense, certainly, better defense, better coach, better quarterback.
Speaker 1: How do you factor in the disrespect from Ben Johnson right to the Packers and the people that are connected with the Packers through the Rams.
Speaker 4: I did see our friend Lindsey Theory post that she was the one that asked the question from Sean McVay of Sean McVay where he gave the sly answer, Yeah, of you know, Matt and I we're really good friends, and yeah, we talk all the time, and you know, maybe yeah, uh uh, maybe we did talk a little bit this week. Okay, Ben Johnson Sean McVay. More importantly than their relationship with Matt Lafleur, we're the two top producers of explosive plays this season. It's there for Caleb in his second year Johnson in his first. The Ram secondary is the one spot that is suspect Dj Moore, Roma Doonze, Luther Burden, Colston Lovelin. Ben Johnson has got the weapons to work with. That is a lot to deal with. Game's gonna kick off at five thirty in Chicago's sun is setting temperatures say feels like seven when the wind is whipping, feels like negative three degrees, which is why it's kind of wild that they got it at forty and a half for over under. That's what the odds makers think of these defenses against these two incredibly talented play callers as head coaches. So instead of taking the number and the under, I'm gonna get the Bears and take the four and a half points, I'm gonna take the Texans plus three over. The Patriots love the future.
Speaker 1: Spens that Texans defense is great. That's what they say.
Speaker 4: That's what they say. It is the best unit left in the postseason. There is nothing as good as the Texans defense. They outscored Pittsburgh. Literally, the defense outscored Pittsburgh twelve to six, two defensive touchdowns. You saw the problems the Chargers defense. Dave Drake may six points and a quarterback rating of thirty six in the first half with an interception and a lost fumble. Offense couldn't back them up. Both's defense is good. Texans is historic, like the best statistically we've seen in at least ten years. That is how good they are. So I will take the three figure at worse, maybe they lose a game twelve to ten or something like that. Finally, I'm gonna take the forty nine ers in the points. Winning in Philadelphia showed us something. Well, they beat Seattle, I doubt it, but I don't think I want to lay a touchdown. Even without George Kittle. Christian McCaffrey good enough to keep this thing interesting. They only allowed thirteen to Seattle in Week eighteen. They beat him seventeen thirteen in Week one, so again could see Seattle winning but not covering a full touchdown. So I will take all the dogs. Not likely, but I think, as Colin Toward says when he says something stupid, hey it's something.
Speaker 1: That's a good out.
Speaker 4: Hey, what's something Let me tell you about this. You know, I could see the Pittsburgh Steelers trading six of their draft picks to go get Ty Simpson.
Speaker 1: What it's something that is something, Roddie, give us something. The song of the day.
Speaker 2: This is the song of the day.
Speaker 6: Today's song of the Day is Momentum from singers, songwriter and musician Amy Mann. Because the Petrosen Money Show is hijacked the middaytime slot on a frog Man Friday, carrying the momentum of a two and a half hour flex alert right into Clippers Basketball, who are all of a sudden one of the hottest teams in the NBA. Who knew having won four straight and hoping to carry that momentum into Canada against the Raptors. It's was it Scotia Bank Arena in Toronto, and our good friend Adam Oslin will bring his momentum to try to bring you that Clippers countdown show that begins at three point thirty?
Speaker 1: Are you Ronning joining us? Next we'll be David Masse for more Dodger ball washing?
Speaker 2: Can you stand it?
Speaker 1: The Way the Rich get Rich?
Speaker 4: Again?
Speaker 2: Southern California's most listened to sports talk show, This is Money on Demand.
Speaker 4: We're off at three thirty tonight and again Marcter Calendars. It's a week from yesterday, January twenty second, Thursday, We'll be in Irvine at the BJ's Restaurant in brew House three to six pm and grand prize giveaway Westinghouse fifty eight inch Zoomo TV giveaway on site raffle ticket style so set your schedules. Three to six. Irvine is coming Thursday, January twenty second.
Speaker 1: From three to six, the accolades keep on pouring in like gold coins into the vault of Scrooge McDuck. And diving into those gold coins is David Vess.
Speaker 2: Oh, somebody who was barbecuing.
Speaker 1: He said, Oh, Lord Jesus is a fun on the stove talk and then the smoke gat me.
Speaker 2: I got brun Karl saying every off.
Speaker 1: Swat Tuesday he picks up the best Show of the Year award from the Southern California Sports Broadcasters is a hero in front of his father in law. And then Thursday he breaks contract detail news on radio on Dodger Talk where it's meant to be broken, to the many Dodger fans regurgitating the information into their mouths like a mother penguin. The Dodgers signed Kyle Tucker, and David Vasse remains atop the baseball reporter Ant Hill at the Real Underscore dv MLB network. You can see him there today Spectrum Sports and at LA. You can see him there all the time on your Southern California Toyota Dealers Celebrity Hotline Hello, Dave.
Speaker 7: Hi, guys, Yes, I feel like I've spent my morning being the voice of reason around Major League Baseball when you have small market guys like Jeff Passing crying for the small market teams out there being their mouthpiece, while you know there are a lot of small market teams that even got to the NLCS, like the Milwaukee Brewers last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dave, the quote really bothered me because he said the players feel like they don't have a chance. I find that almost impossible to believe when the Indians, the Brewers, and the Reds all made the postseason last year. Like, that's just an asinine statement to make to.
Speaker 7: Me, Matt, how many players text him what he said?
Speaker 1: They did?
Speaker 5: He?
Speaker 7: Jeff Passen said on McAfee today that he got texts from players how do we beat the Dodgers? I mean, that's just a rhetorical question. If you look back the last two years, the Padres were one win away from sending the Dodgers home in the NLDS, the Phillies were one bad throwaway from forcing a Game five in the NLDS, and the Blue Jays were two outs away from winning the World Series. So there are a lot of teams that don't have sho Hao Tani and Freddie Freeman and now Kyle Tucker that almost beat the Dodgers. And oh, by the way, who had the best record in the National League last year? It was the old Milwaukee Brewers. So to me, that's such a condescending comment by a guy that is the national voice of baseball when it comes to information.
Speaker 1: What was the vibe like on the National Network of Baseball when it comes to information the MLB Network, Dave, Were they negatively slanted or did they celebrate this for what we believe it is.
Speaker 7: I feel like there was a little bit more fair and balanced Petros. But the reality is is outside of Los Angeles, nobody is happy the Dodgers signed Kyle Tucker. But here's the kicker. Here is the kicker. The signing of Tucker and Diaz is not going to increase the Dodgers' payroll, not much more than last year because they shed significant payroll this past offseason as well. And what's not going to change even if you bring in a salary cap, like so many emotional baseball talking heads are saying today, I'm not going to change the fact that Shohotani signed a seven hundred million dollar contract and each of the next ten years is deferring sixty eight million dollars of his annual seventy million annually, and the Dodgers are only on the books for two million dollars a year. That's what everybody is failing to realize. Otani, if he was going to sign with the Blue Jays or the Dodgers, was doing that team a huge favor by accepting sixty eight million dollars annually to be deferred with the intention of what the Dodgers have done is to reinvest those dollars to try to help him win a World Series championship. Nothing is going to change that. Otani and the Dodgers have been three steps ahead of everybody the day that contract was signed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Dave, I think I read the Dodgers are actually six or seven million dollar under where they were at the end of last year. So and again, the Mets spent more money than the Dodgers last year and couldn't even figure out how to get into the freaking postseason. So spending money isn't necessarily.
Speaker 7: Breaks that right. And it was the Mets that were going to be willing to pay Kyle Tucker fifty five million dollars. The Dodgers said, okay, how about five million more? So the Mets had been spending just as much as the Dodgers, but they just haven't spent it wisely. So you're one hundred percent accurate. When do you say that? Even more so than just passing?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Where at passing? And you're stupid Kansas City bs. The the one like this, to me, Dave is is a huge like, this is a big deal for the Dodgers with Kyle Tucker because this is what they want to do. They want to do four years and a heck of a lot more money in your pocket if they can get this thing to work out and Talker plays great for these two years. We heard you break it on the air last night. You had the contract details, the opt out after year two and year three. Then hopefully that encourages other players to do the same. Had Bryce Harper done it, he wouldn't be on the hook for thirteen years. He'd probably be on the hook for the same amount of money for like eight or nine. And if this thing works out, I would assume that's really good for the Dodgers, because this is what they would prefer to do right.
Speaker 7: You're right. The Dodgers shot baseball when reports started to come out they were doing something or offering something similar to Bryce Harper before he was able to sign that long term deal with the Phillies, and from what I understand, Harper gave it a long look. It was interesting to him at the time, but instead decided that he wanted to be invested in a city and not move again. Not so sure about that with Kyle Tucker. He has no roots in Chicago. How much of the roots is he going to plan in la He can opt out after the second year. So it's good for the Dodgers and it's good for Kyle Tucker because the Bluejays offer bring him ten years, three hundred million dollars while him signing this short term contract for two hundred and forty million dollars. If he stays all four years, if he's as good as he believes that he is, you're telling me he can't go back out on the market even four years from now and get at least one hundred million dollars more. If he can't, this would not have been a good four years for Kyle Tucker and the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: What about how he fits in personality wise on the team. You know there's been talk, you know, you referenced it that he's maybe not that big of a seam head. How does he fit in on a team where he doesn't have to be the biggest star.
Speaker 7: Well, I'll want up Jeff passing with the text I got from a player, a prominent player in baseball, and he texts me that Kyle Tucker is the highest paid robin in baseball because that's who he is. He's not a guy that wants to be in the forefront, and he doesn't have to be. There's an argument to be made that he he's the fourth or fifth guy on this team, So I think that appealed to him as well. He's a low energy guy and we'll see how he fits in the clubhouse. I feel like that's the only question is how is he going to fit into the clubhouse? Well, the Dodger culture that they've created permeate Tucker, and I feel like for him to be on this team, he's going to have to go along with it or he's going to be on the outside looking in. He's very talented, but the only question is how is he going to fit in, and look, if he doesn't fit in, it's not going to be that long of a time that he's here in La.
Speaker 4: Made thirty three million bucks in his career. Tomorrow he turns twenty nine and he will celebrate with a guaranteed two hundred and forty million dollars over four years to play for the two time defending world champion Dodgers. So why do they do the deal? Dave? If you know there are those questions if he's a robin not a bet, but everybody seemed to suggest that this was the best for agent on the market. So what is it you know that they are getting that there is worth sixty million bucks a year on a four year deal.
Speaker 7: Well, last year, all summer we talked about how poor the Dodger outfield defense was. Kyle Tucker answers two issues for the Dodgers from last year. Number One, defense, he'll be a better right fielder than Taoscar Hernandez and ta Oscar Hernandez in twenty four was a much better left fielder than he was a right fielder, and that's where he flourished in his first year with the Dodgers. So he makes the Dodgers outfield defense better. And he also makes the Dodger outfield offense better because, as you guys are aware, they got virtually nothing out of Michael Conforto. Taoscar Hernandez was not the same offensive player after he injured his groin in June. Andy Paz was the only guy really doing much of anything defensively and offensively in the outfield. So Drue Freeman made it very clear in the onset of this offseason that he was not happy with the Dodgers' offensive production the second half of last year and going into the postseason where they scored twenty five runs less than their run to the championship in twenty four And also another layer to this is if you look out to the next two free agent classes, there's really nobody that makes an offensive impact position player wise. So this was kind of the last guy that can make a difference if you signed him and he's able to be as good as he was in Houston.
Speaker 1: What about Bishett Dave? How big of a deal is that? Does that make the Mets that much better? Is Cohen laughing at the Dodgers Today?
Speaker 7: A lot of people are saying that it was a grasp at the leftovers by what the Mets did, and you got Bob Ningel reported that the Phillies saw they had the shed for a long term contract seven years, two hundred million dollars until the Mets came in with these three years and for Bishet smart contract for him because he can opt out after one year. And like I just mentioned, next year's free agent class is Trek Skoogle and a whole lot of nothing offensively, So he can go back out on the market and get a big contract because he'll be the premier position player in next year's free agent class.
Speaker 4: Cool Dodgers can sign him to a three year deal. That'll be great. Dave, enjoy your tour of puffing out your chest, celebrating the Dodgers and disparaging Jeff Passon who says players don't know how to beat the Dodgers, which is humiliating, embarrassing, and should never come off the lips of baseball supposed number one insider when doing interviews. We appreciate it. Congratulations on breaking the new night that nobody seemed to acknowledge that you were the guy who had the details first, but we certainly appreciate you.
Speaker 7: Here Dave, Thank you, guys. I appreciate it, and yeah, I just feel like it's dja vou where everybody's so emotional and they feel like the sports should shut down. Couldn't be further from the truth. Baseball is in a great place and there's a lot of teams that will compete with the Dodgers, like the Brewers, the Phillies and the Blue Jays did a year ago.
Speaker 1: David Maasse a hero to all Dodger information seekers. Dave, thank you and enjoy your weekend. You will be back. Hold. We'll do the Dad and a live guy Birthday of the day. We'll have quick hits, a fun fact, we'll have lessons learned, and then clip show.
Speaker 2: This is petros Money on demand.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening, everybody. Petro sand Money continues today on AM five The LA Sports. You're home a back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers. Are they in the news? I don't wow.
Speaker 4: Thanks for letting me have it, guys. Yeah, we knew, and we just flipped it right to Dave like we always do. Take care of our even though he crapped on our our show. In his acceptance speech for the SCSB we're still benevolent soul.
Speaker 1: It's Friday. I mean, we can't talk about it anymore. We can't talk about that.
Speaker 4: Just pointing out, you know, we're nice guys. We look out for our partners here on a five to seventy LA Sports. Just ask Grogan and Rodney. Look what we're doing today. We're taking two hours of their show from him.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, well, I guess you can put it like that. Next Thursday, we'll be in Beautiful Irvine January twenty second, live at the BJ's Restaurant in brew House and Irvine from three to six. BJ's gift cards Cliffer tickets. The Westinghouse fifty eight inch Zuomo TV is smart TV experience that simplifies streaming so you can spend more time watching and less time app hopping. Find your Westinghouse TV at best Buy or Amazon. And right now it's time for the Dead Guy. Birthday of the Day.
Speaker 4: Happy would have been one hundred and twenty eighth to Margaret Booth, there is a reason why there is an oscar given out for editing. It is incredibly important to put it into perspective.
Speaker 1: I mean, how important, not as important as the freedom trade award, but important.
Speaker 4: Important, Yes, not that important, but important. For instance, First Blood, it was like a three hour movie before the editors got their hands on it and turned it into a freaking masterpiece. So we get into old Margie here. All he wanted was some food and influential American film editor studio executive who played a major role in shaping Hollywood during its golden age. Born in Los Angeles, grew up when the film industry was kind of just getting rolling, you know.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Over the course of her sixty year career pee no, no, all right for Hollywood, she became one of the most respected figures in the industry in town helped define the standards of professional film editing. She started working for B. W. Griffith, one of the pioneers of early filmmaking, as a negative cutter, which is what you would think. It is, physically cutting and assembling strips of film, and she was really good at it. Her attention to detail work ethic quickly set her apart from other negative cutters. You're not a cutter, I'm a cutter, okay. She soon moved into editing. Nineteen twenties, Booth joined MGM. She edited a crap Ton of successful films, dramas, comedies, literary adaptations, including one of your all time favorites, p Mutiny on the Bounty.
Speaker 1: Well, let's go Frenchick Christian Helen gully Ryde.
Speaker 4: That won the Academy Award for Best Pictures, kept climbing the ladder. Promoted to Supervising film editor, later new head of MGM's editing department. She edited films herself, also trained, guided, and evaluated other editors. Booth became known as the And this is one of our favorite things. Anytime we can celebrate someone that is the film editor's editor, that's what we're all about.
Speaker 1: It was her bill, This is really the editor's editor. There's the musicians, musician, the drummers, drummer, the guitar player that your favorite guitar player loves.
Speaker 4: Exactly right. She basically schooled Hollywood on how editors could improve their films by tightening scenes, improving pacing, ensuring clarity and storytelling. Her opinions were highly valued, and director's producers regularly fought for her to be their editor. Of course, a woman at a time when few women held executive positions in Highywood, but she was just so goddamn good that she was an executive, was in high demand and earned widespread respect in what was, of course, in the thirties forties, a male dominated industry. Her professional standards for editing are still in effect today, not just a technical task but a vital part of storytelling that would shape a film's emotional impact and success. She did receive the Honorary Academy Award in nineteen seventy eight, and talk about longevity. She died in two thousand and two p at the age of one hundred and four. Nineteen eighty two Village Voice article described her as quote the final authority of every picture MGM made for thirty years period. In her obit in The Guardian, it read a pioneer of the so called invisible cutting, the aim of which was to make transitions from one image to another as seamless as possible, the audience unaware of the flow of shots within a sequence. Narrative dominant, she maintained continuity of time and space. She maged cuts into action Happy one twenty eighth Margaret.
Speaker 1: Booth, they don't make good movies anymore, Matt.
Speaker 4: They don't. You're right about that.
Speaker 1: Her technique is dead it's all they don't make movies.
Speaker 4: Everything's sol Ai, it's all bs.
Speaker 1: Everything's terrible and rabbit ass like Zutopia too.
Speaker 4: I thought you liked that.
Speaker 1: I like the ass. Doctor Laura Matt is seventy one, seventy nine years old today. Doctor Laura Catherine Schlessinger born in Brooklyn, raised in Long Island. I'm not unhappy, angry childhood, A petty father who was unloving, a narcissistic mother, she says. Doctor Laura went to Stonybrook, got her PhD in physiology at Colombia, and then once she started giving advice on the radio, she got a family counseling degree at USC had a therapist license so she could say I'm doctor Laura.
Speaker 4: Could she if she just got her MFT. I don't think you're technically a doctor, right, You would have to like get your.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, like you know, like the principal is the doctor, you know?
Speaker 4: Like that?
Speaker 1: Ye, doctor Jill Biden.
Speaker 4: Not a real not a real not a real doctor.
Speaker 1: Doctor Jill's at the Olympics Hall.
Speaker 4: A show, but a doctor like doctor dre Well. No.
Speaker 1: She called into a KABC show by Bill Balance. He liked her, He liked her so much he tried to sell nude pictures of her later in life, and he gave her a weekly segment. This was in nineteen seventy five. By nineteen seventy well, it was by nineteen seventy nine. Doctor Laura was a weekend guy, had a show on the weekends. Weekend got her big. You call him a weekend guy. Her big break was as a fill in for the then nationally syndicated Sally Jesse Raphael oh Nice. Then she got a job down the Hall of Kafive. It wasn't down the Hall then, but she got a job that was a gigantic success, and it became nationally indicated by nineteen ninety four. Then came the self help books like Ten Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives, a television show which failed as some controversial things that she said kind of harpooned her advertising before she even got on the air. She described her talliance with CBS and television as a terrible experience. She did win a Marconi matt which continues.
Speaker 4: To escape us. We were nominated twice, though.
Speaker 1: She's the first woman to win nationally syndicated Radio Personality of the Year. That was ninety seven one member of the Hall of Fame, one.
Speaker 4: Twenty six men and one woman.
Speaker 1: She has a magazine or did She wrote fourteen books by twenty ten. She'd gotten a little bit too traditional for what people consider to be progressive now so mainstream. They made the jump to serious ExM radio and remains there. Some of the controversies. Matt her second husband, she left her husband for, and he left a wife and family for and he was still married for years while they were together.
Speaker 4: Well that's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: Eventually she ended up, you know, getting him to get a divorce and then they got married.
Speaker 4: Okay. There.
Speaker 1: She had a terrible relationship with her mother and didn't speak to her mother for twenty years and then her mother died and had no friends and just they was in an apartment dead for like two and a half months.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doctor Laura was unmoved. Did not was like yeah, whatever, I believe her quote was, how.
Speaker 4: Sad she's a bad guy.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, she didn't like her mom. They didn't have something. Something happened, you know, matter. I don't know, but doctor Laura continues today a modern day radio success story which served your time to time. Every once in a while you'd see doctor Laura.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeap, cruising around doing her thing a KFI no longer though, no k E I B. I think for a little while there she was doing it.
Speaker 1: There was a time when we started, when we were were first starting out. I think she still held I think she still held down her peace until twenty ten when she said the N word like five times to a caller.
Speaker 4: And then that'll do it.
Speaker 1: I don't see what's so bad about it.
Speaker 4: I felt like the situation called for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doctor Laura. They still talk about her in the leagues today, do they. Well, we're doing it and at congratulations to Don McLean who also celebrating his birthday with some family I believe up in Seattle. Our friend in BFF, Don McLain, also still discussed in the leagues today. And we will be back with your final hour fun fact, the lessons learned and the quick can't stay with us. It's Petterson money on a Frogman Friday.