Speaker 1: Slowly on the big one seven hundred wlws. Quick, name me something more broken than our political system, the two party system, because it's pretty fed up right now. Democrats of course fighting for whatever direction it is Ergo Usica. It could be Gavin Newsom, as it can be Andy Basheer, but there's really not that much headwindon for many much win behind their sales. I guess on that one, there's a lot of headwind GOP. The other side, we have MAGA, but we have a divisive Mega right now. They're kind of split down the middle on that is Jesse arm from Manhattan Institute especially more important now than ever, because you know, you look at the polling, you look at Speaker Johnson's hand on the gavel, which is tenuous. And now Trump comes out just today or yesterday maybe and says that the United States had to federalize our elections.
Speaker 2: You can't do that. It's run by the states.
Speaker 1: Jesse did a poll on all this and gets a deep dive on where everything is headed right now.
Speaker 2: Jesse, welcome to the show. Good morning, are you great.
Speaker 3: To be with you, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: The thing that jumped out to me about this was that almost a third of current Trump and GOP voters are what you call new entrant Republicans who may have voted Democratic as recently as twenty six year, maybe even twenty twenty For that man, what's surprised you most about that particular group when you started looking at the data.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So here's the bottom line.
Speaker 4: We were very curious because there's been so much talk in recent weeks about what is the American right, what are the fractures within today's GOP, what does it mean to be maga, and is this President Trump's winning coalition from twenty twenty four capable of remaining intact once the president exits the stage. So what we did was we went out and we asked nearly three thousand voters nationally, the vast majority of which we're Republican. We had a few Democrats in there for comparative purposes, and then we introduced these large what's called over samples of black and Hispanic voters, which we account for on the back end with waiting. But we really wanted to get a clear picture of the small groups that are sometimes, uh, you don't want to make inferences that are too large out of subpopulations that are too small in a survey. So all that's to say, this is one of the largest and most exhaustive survey projects to date of this new Trump built, multi ethnic, working class GOP. And like you said, Scott's got two main camps that emerge. There's about a two third majority a little over that constitutes what we think of as traditional Republicans. They're quite conservative on everything from foreign policy to the economic policy, to social issues. But there is this sizeable minority, what we're calling new entrant to the GOP, people who just voted for the Republican Party for maybe the first time in the last two presidential cycles, but we're very likely to have voted for a Democrat.
Speaker 2: In the recent past.
Speaker 4: You're talking about, right, Well, not necessarily, they're a younger block.
Speaker 3: There are more diverse block. Ethnically, they are more likely to.
Speaker 4: Hold progressive policy views across every major policy domain. But then, somewhat oddly, they're also a significant share of them are more likely to report that they are open to racist.
Speaker 3: Views or anti Semitic views, and they.
Speaker 4: Express potential support for political violence. And yet again they are more liberal on policy.
Speaker 2: How do you expland that contradiction.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that President Trump brought in people to the party who are all over the ideological map. And I don't think it'll be at any surprise for a lot of your listeners that the racists in American politics are often not coming from the right most place, and that is an ideological line that is just not neatly defined all the time. Your listeners probably know this. There are people in their lives who feel various different ways about any given issue. And you know, there are two kinds of factions at play in the national discourse right now. You've got left wing corporate media type and you've got some of these odd ball types on the real They want to position themselves on the right, but really they're kind of flirting with a bunch of nasty things. And what they both have in common is that they don't want to see the politically successful coalition for the Republican Party that Donald Trump put together in twenty twenty four remain intact for future election cycles.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Interesting, And there's also, I know too, in the study here a generational avide. So if you're on an under fifty Republican that looks different than plus fifty Republican, I'm pretty much everything it's dark. Whether it's Israel, China, or you know, traditional vatos political violence. Are there just simply now two different Republican parties coexisting temporarily.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be up to the next Republican nominee to stitch together a coalition that can work and.
Speaker 3: Win at the national level.
Speaker 4: President Trump, you know, some people might be able to pin this in kind of a endearing light and say that he's very pragmatic. Someone more hostile as the president might say that he's inconsistent. But there is a fundamental truth to the fact that President Trump has been sort of ideologically flexible on questions over the years. He's not a man who's afraid to change his mind. In the first term, one of his signature policy achievements with Congress was passing the First Stepbacks, which was a big piece of criminal justice reform. In this term, he's been much tougher on crime and policing. These National Guard deployments have been a signature achievement. And in his campaign for office, he ran on a message of no new wars, but also he's not afraid to use force. Now that he's in office, he's got a very hawkish posture toward Iran, towards Venezuela, toward a lot of our adversaries across the globe.
Speaker 1: The other change, of course, is sam you know, the leaning in towards more federalism general. For the longest time, Republicans were the party of smaller government. Not under President Trump. Latest example would be wanting to federalize allegedly the elections taken away from the States. Clearly, the details of the policy aren't what makes him attractive.
Speaker 4: President Trump's appeal has kind of been his celebrity, his humor, and also his pragmatic flexibility around issues. What is it going to be for jd. Vance or Ted Cruz or Mark Rubio or whoever it is who becomes the Republican standard bearer in twenty twenty eight. Maybe they'll bring in a lot of young men the same way President Trump did in twenty twenty four. Maybe they'll win back some of the suburban moms that President Trump lost over the course of his tenure in office. But politicians have to be creative, and if they want to win at national level, they can't do it with just the base.
Speaker 3: But the question is who do they add in?
Speaker 4: And it's probably pretty unlikely that the next standard bearer is going to add in that same group that President Trump would managed to manage to put together.
Speaker 1: Jesse armc Manhattan Instinct on the study, that's a damn. I wouldn't say impossible. Nothing's impossible. And you know, every day and politics feels like it's a year these days. For sure, hardly Trump's only been in office a year. It feels like I'd spend two terms. But you look at that, it's the cult of Trump's personality, the enigma that's Donald Trump.
Speaker 2: That's awfully hard to replicate.
Speaker 1: We've seen that tried before with other people, maybe not till Trump's level, but let's face it, he's an iconoclassed.
Speaker 2: You can't replicate that. That's going to be difficult.
Speaker 4: And we'll have to keep in mind that the Democrats are super eager to finally get their Trump. Don't be surprised that they nominate somebody in twenty twenty eight who's willing to like some heads off and be a creative communicator and you know, break break the electorate up along interesting ideological line. Gavin Newsom is capable of doing that. Hell, even maybe AOC may be capable of doing that. So hopefully there's a Republican that comes forward with the same kind of policy entrepreneurship and political creativity.
Speaker 3: That President Trump is able to possess.
Speaker 4: But as you and I both know and your audience knows, that's no easy task.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you surveyed this group three thousand, which is a really good sample size, by the way, on appointing but oh, that's not that many people, But that's pretty good on where the GOP is standing, where they're headed, I guess right now. And you tested things like anti semitism and the conspiracy theories, and I thought the political violence one was particularly interesting. That more than half of what you're calling the new entrant Republicans say political violence is justified or can be justified anyway, and that matches up with those.
Speaker 2: On the left.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, a lot of these people, like I said, they're younger, and they're more conspiratorial. They've got a more and once you're more conspiratorial, another thing that our data told us is that you're also more likely to excuse political violence under the right circumstances.
Speaker 3: So we have to ask ourselves.
Speaker 4: Right when we're hearing and seeing a lot of stuff in the news about the evolution of media figures like Tucker Carlson or Canvasz into a transition to a.
Speaker 3: Fully online environment. Well, we have to ask ourselves, like, Okay, so they're.
Speaker 4: Appealing to a younger block, a more diverse block, a block that's spending a lot of time in digital spaces, not listening to radio shows like yours, but are perhaps you know, spending a lot of time on TikTok and on platforms like rumble x. And the incentives are just different than what they are for electoral politics. We actually pulled voters, and when you talk to voters, it's a lot more traditional and coherent ideologically, at least the vast majority of the GOP looks that way. So it's important to keep in mind that your favorite voices in sort of new media have incentives that are different than your favorite politicians and Republican or any political party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you had this confluence event that, you know, the long distrust of legacy media, and then along came the Internet and different influencers are online and there's no filter for them, and the more extreme the better. And that makes sense as to why so many people majority would lean towards political violence because that's being preached on those platforms.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. Yeah, it really all comes down to that there is a core group and a fringe group, and it's up to whoever is going to be the next standard bearer for the party to come to a determination about who will make up their block and can they create a block wide enough to secure a victory at the national stage, because that has no easy cap President Trump even struggled to do it three times.
Speaker 3: He you know, depending on who you are man at least.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Jesse arm in Manhattan Institute a new poll that they did. They are very exhaustive one that reveals divides inside the GOP coalition. So you've got the core, you've got the less stable outer ring. One is hearing this and going on. So it's just what the older people are, the neocons, and that's the cohesive core traditional conservatives of maybe ten years ago, and now you've got a less stable outer ring who are the younger entrance into the GOP is. But even that is probably a misleading summary, right Executive Summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, I mean we're not seeing a natural fault line along what you might call neocons and then their adversary being I don't know paleocons who like Pass Buchanan or something like that magazine. No, yeah, this isn't this isn't falling along those It's not that tidy split. Okay, we've found too much messier blocks, which I've described for you now earlier. But again it does. They are repeating that just under thirty percent of today's GOP is what we call these new entrants, Republican voters who join the coalition in the Trump era. They are younger, more racially diverse, and much more likely to have voted for Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, or Kamala Harrins at least one time. So they are the ostensible base for much of the eccentricity that now preoccupies conservative politics. Because those voters are also so much more liberal on issues that we tested, from taxes and spending to foreign policies, immigrate to DEI to transgender issues. This is a consistent through line.
Speaker 3: And beyond all that.
Speaker 4: Like I said, there is a location with the kind of odd here. They're much more likely to believe a number of conspiracy theories. They're much more likely to sort with political violence in some ways, and that is you know, breaking our politics up along very funny lines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yess you mentioned the minority faction of the GOP was over sampled deliberately. But I'm looking at the numbers of d and then maybe that factors into the reason why, even more so than white Republicans, Hispanics and blacks say DEI should be made illegal.
Speaker 2: What do you make of that?
Speaker 4: I think that DEI has got to be a winning issue for conservatives moving forward, no matter who the policy standard barriers for the Republican Party. One thing that was a parent from our data is that a big use way to think about our politics and what it is that Republicans stand for is merit, meaning we believe in a true meritocracy that anybody can work their way up. Equality of opportunities, not equality of outcome. And I'll say that actually a politician in your state is perhaps one of the best articulators of what it means to organize the Republican Party along the through line of merit.
Speaker 3: What is fair?
Speaker 4: What is just that the best people rise to the top, and that we're not giving out handouts and living in a sort of DEI racially discriminatory identity politics obsessed America and that politician is the zach Ramaswami, who I think stands a very good shot of being your next governor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I would agree with that too. Similarly, because we're a limited time here, Jesse. Almost parallel to that is the sculinity question. Seven out of ten current GOP supporters believe that America is too feminine, and it's almost sixty percent of Republican women. What's driving that settlement and how does that going to shape the cultural positioning when it comes to the gender wars.
Speaker 3: Well, keep in mind that our polling was of most heavily what we call the current GOP and we defined that as you had to be either part of the whole group that voted for Trump in twenty twenty four, regardless of your policy party registration, or you are a registered Republican even those who did not vote for President Trump to be considered in that current GOP block. And that group that President Trump has brought together and reshaped the Republican Party in that image is very male, and beyond being very male, even the women who are part of that block believe that America has become too a feminine, feminized as a country. So how do you articulate and develop a politics that is strong, masculine, uh nationalist, but avoids you know, I mean we're both guys. We know kind of where guy's pitfalls right right right to be too ma show to be headstrong, stubborn in effective that compromise to difficult song and dance, and you're gonna see. I think if I had, if I'm a betting man, the Democrats are probably going to nominate a man in twenty twenty eight if tried nominating women a couple of times.
Speaker 4: Now they've lost Gavin as the guy who sort of appears to be the front runner right now. So we're going to be in dangerous territory as Republicans if the Democrats end up nominating a man who can speak the language of masculinity effectively while articulating a progressive policy program.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is that I mean it could be a Gavin Newsome. Is that an Andy Basher from Kentucky?
Speaker 4: It should be a lot of people, but Andy Bisheer is another one who de only get kicked around the lock Josh up hero in Pennsylvania, another popular Democratic governor who is not you know, he doesn't talk in the sort of ultra progressive, woke ways that so many Democrats did just a couple of years ago.
Speaker 3: We're losing a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and obviously the big blooming problem here is Trump two point zero. The next candidate is at paradox because, based on what you just said, Jesse, the most Trump like rhetorical appeal to the new entrance, as you call them. But core Republicans that tend to dominate the primaries want steady or more traditional leadership. So that's that's gonna be a tough one to play out. We'll see how it goes again. He is at Jesse arm He's at Manhattan Institute. What's happening with the GOP. We may have to do one of the Democrats too, because that's also equally confusing. We're just at one of those political crossroads that happens every generation, for sure. All the best, Thanks again for jumping.
Speaker 3: On, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Take care you too, Stay safe. We've got weather moving in. It's here now. As a matter of fact, one to three or three to five, depends on who you believe. We'll kind of find out together. He full update. We got traffic and more just ahead of news and about five minutes Scott's Loan Show seven hundred w WELW.
Speaker 2: Here we go?
Speaker 1: Is the snow starts to fly? Seven hundred w W scott Sloan Show? Is it one to three? Is it three to five? That's the question. James just hit me up and said, Randy Rico at five predicts three to five, but Jay catch at nine predicts one to three. Who will win? This is bigger than the super Bowl? I say, absolutely, this is bigger than the super Bowl. How much snow mcgeddon will we get today? Looking like right now, maybe closer to the one to three. So I'm with Jennifer ketch Maark on this one. We'll see how it plays out. The other thing too, My daughter calls me, says and at that age, you know, in your twenties, you don't really pay attention to stuff.
Speaker 2: She's like, Dad, what's the matter?
Speaker 1: Why? Why is Kroger so crowded? Like, well, you know, it's gonna snow like one to three inches.
Speaker 4: Ew.
Speaker 1: So I got the lay of the land at her Kroger, and it's certainly not like it was prior to the twelve inches. But there's a notable uptick in the number of people that are buying essentials, which it makes me always laugh about the panic buying thing, like the last now storm. Explain me why this is. And we saw this too. You know in twenty twenty we had the run on toilet paper during COVID, and then we had to run on gas because of gas and well what the port workers strike just a couple of years ago, and that was toilet paper. And so people lose their minds going and buying and panic buying, and it's not a new phenomenon, but it certainly can be annoying. If you're just going, look, she wants to go. I don't even know it's going to snowed a little bit. So what why are you clearing out? It's talking to someone before the last storm and they were at the store getting the and someone had five gallons of milk. I'm not exaggerating five gallons of milk. I don't know if she actually told them. What do you do you normally drink five gallons of milk? I mean really, Okay, the storm hit in two days later. You know we were able to get out to three days later. You're okay, there may be some snow in the street, but five gallons of milk for three days. Come on, man, what do you do? What are we doing here? I would love, you know, all the stuff that you see on local news or national for that matter, wouldn't you love to see them go to an interview? People are coming out with five gallons of milk? What the hell are you thinking? Like, excuse me, yeah, I know you've got five gallons. Do you normally buy five gallons of milk?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 1: Why are you buying five gallons of milk now? Well, because everyone else is grabbing the bottles. I just wonder if that milk now is not all down the dry, like three gallons of it, maybe four? Yeah, I mean if you I guess, if you had a family of ten kids, you need five gallons of milk. But it was an older person and not not old, oh yeah, middle aged. I was like, No, you have that many kids where you really like milk? Huh, clearly you don't have lactose intolerance. Not quite sure why we do that. Gotta run get bred today it's like one to three inches maybe five inches. You you can get out in that stuff. Stuff will still be open. The funniest damn thing in the world to panic, the fear of course, because everyone else is grabbing it, so you grab it. That was most evident during COVID. We couldn't find anything on the shelf because everyone's snapt. And then we had the limits. You can only have one thing of toilet pap. Two things that can find toilet paper anyway, because people are hoarding it. And there's probably people that still have are still tapping into the strategic toilet paper reserve in their household. It's like they bought so much during COVID that here it is six years later. Still yep, I still got I've still got some. I've still got some. And then there are people who are just simply are not prepared for life events. And I'll bring this up not the punch down, because I want her take on this one. So today my work truck, by the way is buried about ten feet of snow right now. So I'm like, I don't really need any where. Nothing's breaking, I don't have to go fix anything for a few days, it's right. So today with the snow, I'm like, well, I got a you know, my day to day care a little smaller.
Speaker 2: I'm like, you know, my wife's not going on ACTU. The knee surgery.
Speaker 1: I'll just take her suv okay, because when I drive after the show, there'll be some snow on the ground. I take the scuy and I may stop the door pick some stuff up because now it's a good time to get Once the snow starts flying, then people don't go to the store, so whatever's left and maybe a Costco kind of day. Anyway, I'm looking in her truck pulling the parking garage like okay. Normally, I prepare a little bit and go, okay, where's the brush to clear the snow off? I am not exaggerating. I came across in her suv okay, there are a couple of real estate signs.
Speaker 2: There was what looked.
Speaker 1: Like a a new doormat, but it had a pumpkin on it, so I'm guessing she bought the doormat for Halloween and it's still in her truck. I found an empty shoe box and one one very used tennis shoe, a pair of sandals, one had a broken strap up on it. I found three golf balls. Three golf balls. I found a couple of power cords that look janky, gum, an empty container of gum, a full container of gum, paper clips, hair scrunchies, Burretts, pens, markers. I did not find a snowbrush here. It is February. No snowbrush in the car. But if I wanted to hit some golf balls in the snow wearing sandals or one shoe, that's the truck to have. That's the truck to have. So I wonder if I could just go home or stop and buy a snowbrush, because I know we've got twenty of them, and I don't know why they leave the car, especially when you have golf balls and slip ons in there. I just I don't I went over slides. No, they're a sandals. Yeah, like beach handles, just in case. I don't know why I don't. I have no idea. I have no idea. I'm not judging. I'm just pointing out the the planning ahead.
Speaker 2: I'm a planner if anything.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, that's planning for There's people who overpray I'm gonna buy five gallons of milk and all the bread and all the batteries for I don't know an inches to a snow okay. And then the other extremists people going, yeah, I'll get that snowbrush in my car about I'll get in there about July. No rush for this, no rush just buying everything. It's just it's it's like politics, right, It's just the extremes that drive you crazy. Uh In Lemon and Pete, you're on the Scot Sloan Show. What's going on?
Speaker 3: Slowy? A lady has to have her priorities.
Speaker 1: Sandals used one atlantic chee golf balls.
Speaker 4: You never know.
Speaker 1: I mean there might be a one legged golf tournament coming out. You got to be prepared. Man the basfoot golf or barefoot golf.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, you know, we got snow coming down. I'm gonna clean that with my tongue. Apparently, it's fine, don't worry about I got it, honey, it's good.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 3: I got to the list for panic buying.
Speaker 6: I stopped in the home depot and get a bag and got ten pounds fifty twenty pounds bag of.
Speaker 3: The ice or the you know, yeah, yeah, the last skin. This guy bought the last kit. It was six foot tall. They loaded it up and they go, that's the end of it.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 3: I said, why would you sell him the whole shite?
Speaker 7: I'm thinking this guy either owns property like you're a rental guy, right, a rental guy, right.
Speaker 3: Or he's selling it like toilet paper.
Speaker 1: And uh if he see I would have hung a ree had time hang around. I'm wondering if he's the guy's got the palette of salt on top of his I don't know, on top of his his Corolla.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 1: Instead you're thinking he had a truck and these people at home deeper they got sheets of plywood on top of a pinto. What the heck? What I want?
Speaker 3: What I should have done was the follow him. Right.
Speaker 7: Maybe he was at the corner selling her stuff hot, you.
Speaker 1: Know, like, hey, you know what buying panic selling? I love it.
Speaker 2: God bless America.
Speaker 3: The United States society got a lot, right.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you man. Thanks. Yeah, you don't snatch it up all the rock salt there's another thing, but that takes an effort. I think it's because they're heavy, right, especially a pallette. You mean you better have a truck if that guy's going to put it in like a mini van. And then the pallette. You got the another thing with palettes too. Have you ever noticed you're driving?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: One just says one Pallette, like the guy who's taking the pallettes back to the Pallette factory or to be used as compost. However, there's a thousand pallets on the back of the smallest truck in the world. It's never a big truck that has the Pallett's. It's always like a I don't know, a Chevy S ten, like those old trucks, and it's that old like literally, there's no one who's hauling pellets in a new truck and they've got them stacked up like sixty high and strapped down, maybe strapped down, and they're driving that right lane by fifty miles an hour. It's always a small pick of the small body pickup truck and a million pallets on the back. And that truck was new in nineteen seventy eight. Damnedest thing. It's the damnedest thing. To Florida and Keith, how's everything there? You guys getting some weather? We're about what we're else? Are you in?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: How's the how's it tempts? I know somebody was in Pensacola last week and it was snowing.
Speaker 5: Well, funny, I tell you so. Yeah, at the end of the world, then here it almost got down to freezing. Yeah, up the plants. Yeah. Uh, it's brutal, absolutely brutal.
Speaker 1: I'll bring it up that actually put on socks, life and stuff. This is gonna mess up my I'm gonna have tan lines. Now it's gonna be on sightly. It's gotta be unsightly.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah.
Speaker 5: Watching all my family up in Cincinnati shoveling and blowing so now I'm just loving it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't mind doing it. I like the shoveling and blowing snow. You guys get any pan well, you probably get the panic down.
Speaker 5: And for hurricanes, uh yeah, I've been. We had three front of water through the house in Milton, so we definitely got our share of it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Uh what's what's it like? That is milk the big one in Florida?
Speaker 5: No, actually, nothing is because it's not hurricane season. Now that's a hurricane season. You got to get to the liquor store quick.
Speaker 1: Cards, dude, because most of the time you're seeing full time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's just waiting.
Speaker 1: It's like like the odds of your house getting swamped or blood like it's a whole different day. But most of the time there's a it's a big nothing. But that's why people don't take it seriously. And then they got caught with their pants down right.
Speaker 5: Well, you know you got to keep six or seven handles on hand at all times in case the wind bowl is above six.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my wife's truck would be great. Then here she's got golf balls in her go ahead.
Speaker 9: Oh, by the way, hey, milk freezers real well, so five gallons of milk is the big deal. You keep one out and you put four in the freezer, and you take it out three four days before you need it. Man, it works great the case at all.
Speaker 1: What what about all the other stuff?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 2: How big a freezer are you running there?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 5: Oh, I've got We've got uh, I got, I got two full sized fridges in a stand freezer. How maybe we're contemplating, just the two of us for contemplating buying.
Speaker 1: Teeth by the side, there's two of you and you've got three freezers.
Speaker 5: Oh man, if anything anything we can do keep from going to the store and actually, you know, dealing with people.
Speaker 1: But you know, right, you just keep buying more freezers and you never take the stuff out of the freezer. You just keep buying putting stuff in the freezer. Does anything ever come out of it?
Speaker 3: Yet?
Speaker 5: There there's I will admit there's crapping the bottle of the freezer that you know, it's got so much freezer burned on it.
Speaker 3: It's it's just a token.
Speaker 5: What do we do?
Speaker 2: You're prepared, you may be, you may be over prepared, Keith.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, that's anybody in my family. I definitely over prepared.
Speaker 3: I away I could really use.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have some col right now. You got milk. You're gonna have to wait three days with at the thought, but well, I've got great. The milk is fantastic. Appreciate you man. Ten minutes away from a news update on the Big Ones the Scott Sloan Show here on seven hundred w LW. Come up at eleven oh seven, little pre promote. I don't know if you heard this or not. I'm gonna call an audible Dave. Can you can you go in it?
Speaker 2: Can you see if you can pull that Nickolache song off?
Speaker 1: The full song? I got it in my file there. I forgot to tell you, sorry, as I suck at this job. Uh so nick Lache, Nickolasche and I'm gonna ask him, by the way, how Nickolasche became the voice of the common fan here in Cincinnati. I'm not quite sure how it occurred. I think maybe the title was thrust upon him and he ran with it the scepter in his hand. But Nickolasche has come out eleven oh seven drops a new song about demanding the Brown family, the band Mike Brown sell the Bengals. Now that's an aggressive stance for a pop singer, for a pop idol, is it not. That's a pretty damn aggressive stance. And I will say nick Lache he knows the sports though he is fully invested in Cincinnati sports and a Miami grad, so he's loving the fact that the basketball teams in the But anyway, dropped a new song. I'll try to get a clip here, play for you a second here in demanding that they sell the team. And if not the best song in the world, but it's better than either most of these kind of parody things. And I'm not one to tell someone who has Mike Brown kind of money what to do with this.
Speaker 2: That's his money.
Speaker 1: Now you want to sell the team, that's up to you, whether I selled or not. But as a as a passionate fan. I mean, I get the inkst I get the anxiety of the ownership right now. And then you know, we talked about Duke Tobin and Zach. They're not going. The entirety of the AFC North has been fired and new head coaches are coming in because they can't get it done. And yet we're doubling down on Zach and Duke Tobin. And yeah, I think we're in good shape. We can win with the guys we have.
Speaker 2: No, you can't.
Speaker 1: You couldn't do that last Well, if Joe Burrow wouldn't have gotten hurt, Well, that's part of the problem. He got hurt is because of well, the guys you have are not good, you know, offensively, there's no reason the very least make the playoffs. You know, Marvin went to what six six wild card games in seven years and lost them all, and we wanted more, we wanted better that we're going to do better than that. So that's why Marvin went. And we got Zach Taylor. Okay, got us to the super Bowl. Great, and now it's regressing, and so I think it's you know, it's a viable go. Okay, do we need to change because you can't get over the hump? Why can't we get over the ump? There's a lot of reasons why anyway, here's the song from Nicko La se.
Speaker 10: Time man again seen a simple whipple say, I ain't got no plan, no.
Speaker 3: No, no, no no.
Speaker 2: I didn't feel like an angry song, doesn't.
Speaker 10: Another draft done in team, more and more of the scene, and it's so it's sort of driving me and say.
Speaker 1: Like that baseline was so sat.
Speaker 2: Timberlake field, very boys.
Speaker 10: Angles, wind stalk amasy, oh, blame me.
Speaker 2: Everything that you've done.
Speaker 1: It just turns out so long.
Speaker 10: Time say goodbye.
Speaker 11: Just think of your.
Speaker 10: Family, take your billions and run to that look go ahead.
Speaker 1: Now you're coming at him already thinks this is nickolache Man.
Speaker 2: He's popping off, he's popping up.
Speaker 4: Damn yeah.
Speaker 1: Bang pretty well produced, but i'd expect that from nickolache I said, set on my Brown, set my.
Speaker 2: Brown, breaking it down a little bit nice.
Speaker 1: In the name of Joe Bell. Won't you take your beans and go.
Speaker 10: To settle my brown?
Speaker 2: Care what you wish for?
Speaker 10: The selling my brown.
Speaker 1: On the phone quick two minutes. That's all you get, that's all you need. Message sent I don't know the message received or not. But coming up at eleven oh seven, I'll have Nickolache on the show and ask why the hell cook two thingsirst of all, who are you to tell Mike Brown what to do with the team?
Speaker 2: Second?
Speaker 1: Lay more Bertley, are you gonna buy it? Nick lache buying the team? Nickolasche wants to buy the team. He's got that, yeah, man, he's got that ten years of reality show money. He's got some gash watch out. I don't know if he's got NFL money though, But you can get a bunch of investors together, and if you do sell the team to what's the guarantee it's gonna stay in Ohio? I think it's a big question anyway, Nick Lachey eleven oh seven on The Scott's Own Show on seven hundred wwll do news weather is moving in one to three to five inches. The panic buying continues. We've got you covered here on the Home of the Red seven hundred ww Cincnati. But you are an awful person, possibly the worst person in the history of persons, because you eat meat.
Speaker 2: As a meat eater, you're a horrible person.
Speaker 1: That's usually the way militant vegans look at those of us who enjoy meat products. And here to persuade you to change your ways is doctor John Sambu Matsu. Good morning.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good, God, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well? Thanks. I'm an omnivore. I like it all. What do we get wrong about meat?
Speaker 3: Sure? Well, you know I grew up the same way.
Speaker 6: But what we get wrong about meat is what we get wrong about pretty much everything else.
Speaker 3: The problem isn't meat. The problem isn't eating animals. The problem is what we do to animals.
Speaker 6: And what we do is we inflict mass violence against them on them. And you know, I'm sure, well, let me ask you, do you do care about animals?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? I have a dog love animals.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 6: Now, the thing is when we when we're raised, we think of dogs and cats as somehow special. You know that they're not like other animals, And it's simply not the case scientifically. How pigs, chickens, sheep and so forth are just as intelligent, just as affectionate, just is capable of complex emotions as our own cats and dogs.
Speaker 3: I mean that's a fact, Okay, I don't discount that. Yeah, So right now, people don't realize that the system that we have in place, the food system, is killing about eighty billion land animals every year, mostly birds animals, and up to two point seven trillion marine animals every single year. So there's this enormous mass of violence that has to happen in order for us to eat our meat.
Speaker 1: Yea fe And here's why I think most people are fine with that. And I'm sure you know this is the fact that, well, the animal kingdom in itself is extremely violent. You know, a lion never gets permission to eat a zebra thoesn't zero craps about its fields. Now, as we get into the manufacturing and the business of food manufacturing, including livestock, you know, different story. And I understand and I get it that there are some mortal implications there. But we have that we have because of a higher learning. We have something that the rest most of the other animal kingdom has, and that's a sense of morality. There's no morality, that's a that's a human construct.
Speaker 6: Well yes, no, Actually, the late primatologists, friends to Wall and others have done enormous research on this, and they've demonstrated that feelings of reciprocity, empathy, altruism in fact, can be found in many, many, many species, so we i mean humans.
Speaker 3: Arrived on them as well.
Speaker 6: Our sci safety has arrived here about evolved here about two hund and fifty thousand years ago, So we're late comers to complex emotions like empathy. So it's true that only humans can talk about an annual, constant, categorical imperative, which is, you know, a moral philosophy. So that doesn't mean that that they said, you know, sentiments of care, sentiments of fairness are not found in other species. Right, if you've ever lived with two cats or two dogs or whatnot, you know there's a kind of negotiating.
Speaker 1: Right, But you're but you're equating livestock with domesticated animals. So that's a false equivalency.
Speaker 3: Why is that a false equivalence?
Speaker 1: Well, because in the wild that doesn't exist. Now, you may have primates that exhibit familial type of situations in context. We see that with the late Jane goodall right, we see that all the time. But when you're talking about animals that provide sustenance for for human beings, that's entirely a different matter. I mean, maybe within these species itself or within the particular family, like a family of deer. But again, you know, the tiger or the lion, or the predator, be it a hawk or whatever, it doesn't give a damn about the feelings of that animal.
Speaker 2: It's it's a meal.
Speaker 3: Oh, I see what you're saying.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, sure, But but as you were saying, you know, we're not obgate carnivores, right, Lions look lions. If there was a pack of lions somewhere, okay in Africa that was debating whether to eat the als or not. And this goes to your point about humans, you know, being the only species with the kind of discourse about morality. Right if one line says the other, hey, Joe, you know you know those those gazelle's taste really good. But I just I just have a bad feeling about it. Like I was looking into the eye of that gausel and I thought, you know what, we're not so different me and that causeelle and the other and the other lines and the other line say, well, you know what, now they're just so good.
Speaker 3: I just want to go on.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 6: The thing is lions have to eat other animals. That's just biologically the fact that it's not true and people misunderstand what it means to be quote and omnivle. It doesn't mean that we have a moral or any other kind of license to commit harm against other beings. It means that we can metabolize pretty.
Speaker 3: Much anything, including I would point out humans, right, I mean cannibalism, anthropocages, and part of human many men, hundreds of human cultures for thousands of years eating parts of the human body. So we can't simply say, oh, it's natural.
Speaker 1: It isn't.
Speaker 3: It is no more natural than like downloading Netflix or something. It's a cultural choice we make so and there's no reason why we have to keep doing this.
Speaker 1: And furthermore, well, okay, let's let's get an argument at doctor John Samba Matsu the omnivorous deception, and and the premise here is is it the morality of it? Is that the environmental aspect, I mean, is there such a thing as humane meat? Are you saying that's impossible?
Speaker 6: Yes, I am saying that's impossible. Look, I mean if someone came into your you said you have a dog, someone came in. Yeah, someone came into your house, and you know, bleudging your dog to death or stab your dog in the throat or stomped on your dog or skin your dog alive.
Speaker 3: You would be troump and that was in front of you, you would be traumatized.
Speaker 1: And I would, But you know when I wouldn't if I live in a country that in an Asian country where that was looked upon as as a meal, like like how those in India look at cows.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, it's cultural, and it's it's it's it's it's a it's a new it's right, it's all fabricated in the human mind. We can certainly know, but we can do better by being, you know, better stewards of the earth in the animal kingdom. Certainly, you know, factory farming. We know that there's a lot of negative, a lot of bad things that go on there. But the idea that somehow we just wake up in a perfect world we be all vegetarians, isn't Isn't there also a hazard in that?
Speaker 6: No, there's no hazard in it. On the contrary, the animal food economy is destroying. It's undermining the conditions of all life on this planet. It's the most destructive force on the Earth in terms of destroying top soil, in terms of depleting water, destroying biodiversity, leading cause and massive distinction crisis.
Speaker 3: Which people don't even talk about.
Speaker 6: And that's even worse than global warming, which animal agriculture is contributing about thirty percent of greenhouse gases to. So no, we have every intens to stop this. I mean, vegans and vegetarians on balance, if you look at all the ethical studies, live longer, they do better, they have lower rates of parties.
Speaker 3: These strokes okay.
Speaker 1: But aren't many people's food choices literally constrained by economics and culture and geography.
Speaker 2: In a perfect world, you could do that, but this is not. It's an imperfect world.
Speaker 1: And framing this is an individual moral choice, it ignores the issues of food access, agricultural pality, governments, politics, and all that other stuff. You're ignoring that, You're you're ignoring what creates this, and you can't do that.
Speaker 3: No, I can't.
Speaker 6: I can't agree with that. I mean that the food insecurity is being created by the animal system because it's creating enormous disparities of wealth between the North and the south. You talk, you talk about people, farmers being thrown off their land and the Amazon and so forth. To burn down the Amazon rainforest by jbs. It suppliers to create UH to provide beef. It's the most inefficient, wasteful way to create food for humans. But just to correct you, I'm not saying that this is a question of individual moral choice, not at all.
Speaker 3: I'm saying that this entire system has to be abolished, all.
Speaker 6: Of it, because none of it is necessary, excuse me, And all of it is wrong, it's unjust.
Speaker 1: But again, you keep getting back to the semantics of the human mind of unjust in these and their feelings is what they are.
Speaker 2: Morality of sense, but it has no basis in the real world.
Speaker 3: Well, listen, I keep ethics, so I can't agree with you on this. I mean when you know you were saying, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know every everyone's ethics seem these days to be up to the individual the eyes of the beholder, So I don't know if there's any Well, that's that's moral high ground here.
Speaker 3: That's called moral relatives.
Speaker 6: And getting back to a question i'd asked you about how you would feel if someone attacked your dogs. You said, well, and you said, if I'd been raised differently in another culture, I might feel differently. That's true, but it's irrelevant because your your capacity to using your intelligence and your empathy to understand what had what would have been done to your dog. You would understand that was unjust, that was wrong to do to your dog, and it has nothing to do with your cultural upbringing. I'm saying that that's act knowledge, that's real knowledge. Whereas people in another culture who might have been socialized to see dogs simply as things be exploited and harmed, they are incorrect. You can't compare those two forms of knowledge and say they're equipment. They're not equivalent. You're understanding that your dog has personhood. That is to say, is a someone.
Speaker 3: Sure if your dog is a human right, but that is that is that's a valid insight Scott, that you have having lived with dogs. That's not true. That's not true.
Speaker 2: Okay, But again it's you're taking out.
Speaker 1: I suppose there are people who love pigs or eels or whatever it might be, and we look at it going, I don't get it, it's not for me, but that that in itself is human nature. How do you propose you well, I guess before we get to that, John, Yeah, the idea so in apperfect. What would happen to the animal kingdom, we just let the animals run. What would there be any justification for killing animals, whether for pleasure obviously hunting would be out with you, but for a food source.
Speaker 2: Do we just let the animal kingdom run its af.
Speaker 6: Yeah, let's have a moratorium on the harm that we're committing. I just said that we're killing twillions of animals per year. We're wiping them out like sharks.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: I asked my students sometimes how many humans are killed by sharks every year? And you know, interestingly, they get that about like they say about you know, between ten and fifteen humans are killed by sharks every year, and we think the sharks are scary, dangerous, irrational creatures. Right, there's the fiftieth anniversary year of Jaws. But then I asked them, well, how many sharks are killed by humans every year? And they guess, oh, thousands, No, thousand, Okay, it's one hundred million. It's one hundred million sharks every year are being killed by humans. And those are intelligent, sensitive creatures and we don't even know. People don't even know that because they're considered.
Speaker 2: Because of a Steven Spielberg movie.
Speaker 3: Well, Spielberg's need to have a huge had a huge impact.
Speaker 6: Right, So the sharks sin supernat But listen, my point is this, other animals are interesting, intelligent, They're worthy of our respect and our compassion.
Speaker 3: They're worthy of our love, you know, And we shouldn't destroy.
Speaker 6: We can't let me. We can't love what we seek to destroy. So yes, hunting, fishing.
Speaker 3: We don't need any of that. There've been vegetarians for three thousand years, vegan diety, so it's.
Speaker 1: Slio only like ten to twenty percent of the population. I mean, if your idea was so sound, why wouldn't we see more of it, especially not just in developed nations but elsewhere.
Speaker 3: Well, it's not as though, you know, the best ideas went out.
Speaker 6: Look, Jesus came up two thousand years ago and said, hey, let's you know, love your brother.
Speaker 3: So they killed him, you know, and how have humans been doing since then? Right? Whatever?
Speaker 6: You know, Martin Luther King, hey let's let's have love, racial equality and end to war.
Speaker 3: And they killed him too, like right, because.
Speaker 1: There's no because there's no universal I mean, we like to think there's a universal morality speaking of the Bible, but it's not. And that's why we have we have human conflict, which is outside the scope of this conversations. We're talking about eliminating the meat economy, So no, no killing of animals and a prof in doctor John's world, we don't have. We have animals just living their lives grazing. What do we do so then we would need obviously more crop Well, I don't know if we more crops, we still need crops to survive. How do you balance the fact that the animals would just eat the crops and how would you keep those animals in check from eating all your crops.
Speaker 6: Well, first of all, you know, we this idea of wild nature basically had ceased to exist because we've we've turned the entirety of the world into a kind of prison house.
Speaker 3: Ninety ninety six percent I believe.
Speaker 6: Of all mammals on the Earth by biomass by weight, excluding humans, are our prisoners waiting slaughter. Ninety six percent on the entire earthmall birds on the planetact are our prisoners waiting slaughter. So, and the thing is, if we if we stopped raising animals, we've closed down the speed loots, we would be able to reforce the earth that would sequester up.
Speaker 1: But if you let these animals just simply go Okay, you're free. Now you're released from this prison that you just said. Won't they just continue to breed and if they breed, they breed up to the point where they can sustain life, which means eating our food supply. How do you balance that out? If the animals run wild and you're not allowed to kill them, John, what's going to prevent them from eating all our food?
Speaker 6: I think that you know, it's a serious question to ask what we're going to do with the existing animals we're brought into them, you know, uh, sexually reproduced, mutilated in order to bring into the world for our purposes. That's that's a legitimate question. But what I'm saying is we should stop sexually reproducing keeping confining new animals because we could, we could save this out, this out.
Speaker 1: Well, while with the old animals continue to breed, and you're not answering the questions like they're just going to eat all our food, aren't they?
Speaker 6: They're not going to eat all our food. They're already eating first of all, the the food that's being grown. It's not being grown for human consumption. It's being grown to create profits for you know pargy.
Speaker 2: Now, and we also the fact that we like it's profit. John, But I like a steak. I know you don't.
Speaker 1: But steak, chicken, fish, foul, I'm a big fan, is about ninety eighty to ninety percent of the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: So don't diminish that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure, but you know, there's such a thing as moral enlightenment, and that's what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about you said you like, well I did too.
Speaker 3: I used to like that stuff. But the human talent is plastic, it's malleable.
Speaker 6: I don't miss any of that stuff, you know, having made that transition forty years ago. Seriously, I mean, if you talk to anyone who's actually made that transition, they don't look back.
Speaker 3: It's simply right. I mean people, well, but.
Speaker 1: That's not you. That's not all vegetarians are I mean, vegans a different class. But plenty of people who have experimented with that said, yeah, it's just not for me. I don't feel well. I enjoy having maybe less meat but still eating meat.
Speaker 6: Well, we're talking about different kinds of goods here, right, which I mean you're you're talking about pleasure, you know, having a an aesthetic preference on the one hand, and I'm talking about something that's deeply deeply wrong, deeply deeply wrong. It's simply, deeply, deeply wrong to inflict unnecessary violence, extreme violence on other beings, helpless, defenseless, intelligent beings, is simply wrong to do.
Speaker 1: Then have a conversation with tigers and lions. Well, will they listen to you? Will they just eat you?
Speaker 6: Well, as I just said, you know, we're not oppigate carnivores and we can we have a choice, right, I mean, how you saying Leonardo da Vinci and Jane You mentioned Jane Goodall. Jane Goodall was a vegan, She advocated the vegan Was she was she crazy?
Speaker 3: Was she? No?
Speaker 1: But but you think people who eat meat are that's the difference. I respect your decision. But do you think that I'm some sort of criminal against the world because I enjoy a steak?
Speaker 2: That's crazy?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't think.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying you're a criminal, but I'm saying that it's wrong. Yeah, And I think that you should think about it and make it and and do something differently about with your life.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 6: I think that's that's true. And I think it's true that people who don't reflect in this matter are missing something very important. I mean, I begin my book by saying, Look, people think the question of need and eating animal product is trivial.
Speaker 3: What could be more trivial?
Speaker 6: Right? I'm sure on your talk show you have a you know, lots of debates about a lot of really important topical issues, right, and your listeners, you know, take these issues seriously. This is the one where you cannot talk to anyone without them going holistic. If a vegan is in the room and says, hey, here's the system of math, violence, of degradation and cruelty, and I don't want to participate in that. If we even say that, right, fine with that.
Speaker 1: No, I respect your No. I can't say for the person who may be listening to this right now y'all get their radio. But I know I totally was. I don't think I was disrespectful. I'm challenging, but I respect your viewpoint. I understand where you're coming from.
Speaker 3: No, No, I'm not saying no. I appreciate that.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying you, but I'm just saying that general vegan people get not they go. They're very defensive about this because they do not want to examine the issue. And I just ask people read my book and keep an open mind. Just read the first chapter of my book and keep an open mind, and I think that what will happen. You'll see things a little differently. That's what I'm trying to do, is people to understand that this is something that matters. It's not to be dismissed. And you know, with bad arguments, you know, I get so many bad arguments, Well what about carrots? Carrots are alive too, you know, what about it? Or what about you know, the line with the gazelle. That has nothing to do okay, whether we should keep pigs and kill them, there's nothing. Just what the lines do with their business, you know. And I'm saying there's nothing to do with uh.
Speaker 12: I think it does.
Speaker 1: I just think we have a lot of humans, a lot of time on our hands and Google an AI, and I think we sit around worrying about stuff that previous generations probably didn't worry about it. I'm not saying we can't be better with the environment. We need to and and better stewards of the animal kingdom, for sure. But yeah, I don't really have much qualms from aray a morality standpoint about eating meat.
Speaker 6: But again, it's not about Leney. But it's not about eating meat. It's like, how can you how can you be indifferent, Scott? How can you be in different to this incredible violence and pools that's being inflicted on billions and billions of your fellows.
Speaker 1: If I eat meat, then I'm mortally implicit. I'm guilty of the the you know, quote unquote crime that you're intinuating. But hey, I gotta get going if doctor Johnson, But I'm not sure. I really enjoyed the conversation, the ominimor's deception, what we get wrong about meat, animals, and ourselves.
Speaker 2: Lots of think about there. All the best, got luck with the book, and thanks for jumping on this morning.
Speaker 3: Thanks a lot, Scott.
Speaker 2: Yes, the age old debate about meat. Should I eat it? Should I not eat it?
Speaker 1: Am I eating the face of a poor animal that has been raised in horrible conditions by horrible people with horrible intent? That is making the planet more horrible? Some people believe that.
Speaker 2: Other people believe, Hey, you know what my ancestors did, It were wired that way. It is all good.
Speaker 1: I'm going to tell you next why he might get his way and your thoughts on this whole thing too, maybe, uh, you're not ready to give up a drumstick yet, and I'll probably from your cold dead hands. That's kind of how I feel. But what's the future role. We'll get into that right afternoon. Sloaney on seven hundred WW. Sloony here seven hundred WW. God knows how I am a creature of advertising marketing, but got our friends from Fox nineteen Ken ken Baker's on kicking with can Man and uh, Friday is froz O Day. Frozen yogurt tans doing this thing from a yogurt place like I. You know, I'm sure you scheduled this ahead of time because it takes concembla, But I don't know how many people are rocking on. You know what I need today with the three five inches coming, Gotta get some frozen yogurt in me.
Speaker 2: Maybe soup, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I would tell a man do his job. He's good at it. He's good at it.
Speaker 1: Sloane here on seven hundred wlw Uh, speaking of food related things, just got off with doctor John Sun Bamatsu has a book out about why We're all evil if you eat meat. And the idea is if you eliminate meat, the world will be a better place. And I'll play that game a little bit, because then we get into the you know, and I was guilty of a two that. You know, a tiger doesn't really care because they don't have empathy, they don't have feels like we do, as to why they would eat in another animal. It's simply sustenance. And the argument about humane treatment always comes up too. And the problem isn't eating the animals, right, it's about factory farming, okay, because there's damage to the earth, the eCos for everything suffers because of our dependence on meat. All right, Well, let's play the game a second. I don't have time to get into it with him, but this is about affordability largely drives all of us. I don't care how third world you might be, but it's an issue of supply Demand's about affordability. And we said that as capitalists here in America, or at least our version of it anyway. But let me explain a second. So the problem is factory farming. Get away with the factory farms, and some, not all, will admit that, Hey, you know, if you did like locally raised, locally sourced materis, that's great, that's awesome, locally sourced, okay, But what happens if you get away from the factory farming and the problems that factory farming has, Well, what winds up happening is no one can afford the product he mark. So ultimately is that your goal kind of like, you know, by taxing the crap out of gas, by getting rid of parking in Cincinnati, drive the cost of it up, and therefore it's like, well, maybe now this will push you towards public transports, It'll push you towards an ev right because the gas prices, you're going to get rid of that gas guzzling suv or big truck. Why we because gas is now it's incredible, it's ten dollars a gallon, So you're gonna get small cars. I mean, that's you know, how we rearrange the economy through policy in order to force people to do what normally we don't want to do. And that's used by both Democrats and Republicans. But let's just consider ford All went away. First of all, you would have a massive black market emergence as you did when we banned the good idea of hey, we need to ban alcohol in America. What's the worst that could happen? Well, people die from bathtub gin. Well you had the rise of gangsters. Well you had you know, in a time we need to need it. You had job loss, okay, and the same thing would happen here. You'd have black markets, you would have massive job think of the ranching, meat processing, dairy, leather goods, food manufacturer supply chains would collapse, and you have these rural communities. What's left of rural communities are built around livestock operations. It would face an incredible economic collapse. And you're talking around the globe, probably tens of millions of jobs. And what are the transferable skills? If you're a rancher too, what are you going to do? And not only that, you have immigrant labor, largely immigrant labor. People the lowest rung of the American totem pole hoping to get their foot up are in the meat processing workforce. So you know, I'm sure that the same folks worry about vulnerable populations, that's a pretty vulnerable population. And what about all from a business side, you have these huge capital investments in slaughterhouses and processing facilities, refrigeration storage, what about people who service those things? The financial system would absolutely blown apart if you just simply said, okay, that's it, we're going to a factory farming. And I think you know the other things too, is the products the byproducts from animal agriculture are used in different industries, so it wouldn't just be in that sector, be in I don't know, pharmaceuticals for example. You know insulin historically we get from pigs. How do you replace that on the scale you need to replace it? Did you think about that? And the act is like, well, we just returned the land of mother nature. Okay, so the grazing land and I don't know, you know, in Montana, for example, we got a lot of range out there, you know, the pastures or in Scotland for them in the Scottish highlands, so you just can't convert that to grow soybean. You're pretty limited in what you can develop on that land. And so the land becomes unproductive, what happens to the asset and the value there and the control grazing on the same so is used for land management. So you know, we were about wildfires, Well, wouldn't we have more fires because you don't have the animals that are eating that stuff if you just simply reverted the land back to mother nature. I mean, there are a lot of conservation efforts depend on livestock to maintain those habitats, and if you removed all the animal agriculture, you have these the new set of unintended ecological consequences. So we're trying to avoid all the pitfalls of factory farming, the waste by products and the demand on the environment and greenhouse gases. Okay, oh well and good, But the other side of that would be what I just described here. We'd have a different set but a holy new set of problems, not only for humanity but for the environment.
Speaker 2: So what are you solving? You're just trading one problem for another. It sounds like, and.
Speaker 1: You know, I get there's a humanitarian principle here and how we're treating the earth and all that stuff, But you know, there is a factor that we have and not only that, if you look at factory farming, the problem. The problem is the factory farming.
Speaker 2: But what did that mean?
Speaker 1: So industrial agriculture as we know it, factor of going from the locally sourced stuff like we have now. And if you're wealthy and you know you're educating, you can afford it. You can afford to go to a store and buy all vegan, all you know, locally sourd stuff. That's great, but it's going to cost you a lot more money that most people don't have. And so what happened was industrial agriculture increase meat and dairy and egg production, and it dropped costs because you're doing it in scale. So I mean, if you think about it, you go back to nineteen hundred, a chicken was a luxury. That's why you know Sunday dinn we're having chicken on Sunday because maybe the only day of the week he got meat. Because I think I saw this in I think nineteen hundred, for example, a whole chicken would cause to eight day's wages. Today, I'm going to go to Costco and get an entire roast chicken for six dollars six bucks. That is an incredible Now we're all paying the prime. You know, back to the human suffering going on. We're all eating or we're killing ourselves with a knife and fork. Sure, but the access of protein which we know is critical to our livelihood, was unknown back in the day.
Speaker 2: Well everyone was thinned back that. Yeah, because food was a luxury. Man. Hell, it wasn't that long ago that water, clean water was a luxury.
Speaker 1: That's why people were in soldiers a ration ale because it was clean. You know, you weren't going to get sick from drinking contaminated water.
Speaker 2: So they drank.
Speaker 1: Wow, they got drunk while they're fighting. No, it's because if you drink, you'd get sick and die dysentery. We don't have that problem anymore. And I mentioned you know the pigs and the insulin. Well, we've got evolutions and genetics and veterinarian medicine and all these things because of our need for animals. So you can make a case that the human condition got better now. Granted, there are people around the world still starving. That's the great paradox of the world is that we've got all those food and even in our own country, right, we waste a lot of stuff. But my god, a couple of generations they'd be looking at like, man, you guys hit the jackpot here.
Speaker 2: You can get a hold chicken for six bucks. Yeah, it was you know certainly.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say in someone's lifetime right now, be like you one hundred and twenty six years old. But yeah, certainly your parents, great your grandparents for sure may remember those days, or great grandparents for that matter. Anyway, careful what you wish for, you might just get it. I think that is the takeaway from the we need to close the factory farms down. It's like, okay, let's just wave a magic want to do that, although probably would say, well, you're not good. You're going to do with the course of decades and yeah, but if the needle moves slowly, I don't think it's going to change at all. And I think the way they get what they want is to simply make everything so costly you have no afford. You know, you have no other way to eat and survive than to scrap to eat, you know, with the diet they kind of want. But does that what does that look like for our country? What's that look like for our world?
Speaker 3: For that matter?
Speaker 2: Again, you trade one problem for different ones. That's that's an issue.
Speaker 1: At five with three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand and two, Robin and Oxford on the Big One, Good morning, how are you hi?
Speaker 8: Scott, how are you.
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 8: I listen to you quite a bit when I'm not working.
Speaker 2: I call myself quite a bit and I'm not working either. We have that in common.
Speaker 10: You talk.
Speaker 8: I talk almost as much as you do. Anyway, I'm totally with John I everything you just said. I enjoy your show. I agree with you on a lot of topics, but not this. You're you're you're skirting around. You're like diving in and out of the whole reality of the issue.
Speaker 13: What's the reality is what gives us human beings the right to eat another sensement being. I used to live on a cowl a beast cattle farm. Okay, I know when my ex would take the cows that he was taking.
Speaker 8: To slaughter out of the pastor. I mean you have to see it to believe it. And the others, I mean they form communities.
Speaker 13: The others would new and cry all night. I've been to a slaughterhouse, you know, the Paul McCartney. I'm saying, if squatter house has had glass walls, people wouldn't eat meat, and the whole, the whole. This is like I've never called into you, but this is like this is by the hot top of you.
Speaker 1: You're fired up.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 8: I am fired up the very firing personality. So you're okay. I'm sixty eight years old. You can look me up on Facebook. I don't have any heart disease. I don't have any blood pressure issues. I'm not diabetic.
Speaker 13: And if people look, I worked as a center director for years for Jenny Craig. The obesity, the heart disease, the diabetes in our country is is so disgustingly out of control.
Speaker 1: No, let me let me jump in. Let me jump in a second. Here a couple of points you made. Number one is on the Jenny Craig.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Part of the problem is it's not the factor eating meat. It's a factorating highly processed food. That's the problem that that has a lot to thriveboard. So it's not it's not a meat debate. And the other thing is he said, what gives us the right Well, the fact I can't see what I'm doing right now. Can you see what I'm doing right now? You probably can't see. I have an opposable thumb. And as as a human being, it's survival through sustenance. That is nothing new. I mean, we have.
Speaker 8: Without eating it. No I don't believe that at all grained. And that's a bunch of ship without meat and the and I probably.
Speaker 13: Spend half of what you need eat ors eat at the spend at the grocery store.
Speaker 8: I see, I may, but.
Speaker 1: But you may go spend a lot of money, I don't know, makeup or something. I look at you and go, why do you need all that money? You can't tell other people what to spend the money. I'm hey, I got a rob I gotta go. I appreciate I wish would have called earlier. That's pretty good, Robin and k Oxford. Thanks, so listen. I gotta get to a news update' run a little bit late. We got to switch it up. Was off of because nick Lache is waiting and he is trashing the Bengals.
Speaker 2: Nickolasche our.
Speaker 1: Nick Lache is calling demanding that Mike Brown sell the Cincinnati Bengals. We'll find out who Nickolache is to demand someone sell something that they own. That's next on the show, seven hundred WW Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Super Bowl sixties all set.
Speaker 1: You got the Atriots back again, you got the Seattle Seahawks back again.
Speaker 2: The Bengals are not back again. The Bengals.
Speaker 1: It's been five years since our Bengals went to the Super Bowl and Nick Lache has had enough. He just dropped this song on social This is.
Speaker 2: In the name of j Barrow.
Speaker 7: Who should take your bells and go.
Speaker 1: On the phone. Well, damn, damn share.
Speaker 2: That's baby making music. That's not a diss track. That's baby making music.
Speaker 11: You got there, Well, maybe we killed two birds who wants thumb make some babies and people off?
Speaker 2: Wow that there you go?
Speaker 1: Well wow, how did I? How did I come into the sword? Well, it was because the Bengals suck. That's how you were born.
Speaker 11: That's how something, something good should come out of them.
Speaker 3: At this point, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Where are you right now?
Speaker 1: You're in l a.
Speaker 3: A.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're smart because it's too damn cold to come here and do this live right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm talking to my family back back east and it is absolutely freezing cold. So uh yeah, I'm not I'm not jealous of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, missing we're jealous of you. We got snow today too. So how to help nickolaiche H? How did you become the de facto voice of those long abused Bengals fan?
Speaker 2: How did this happen.
Speaker 11: I'm a long abused Banks fan, you know. It's it's been I guess, about forty five years since I first started watching the Bengals, and I've been on the same you know, roller coaster that everyone else in that city has, and man, I don't know, it just felt like enough is enough. It's it's uh, you know, we've been so beat down in the fan base, and I feel like at this point, most people they're just like, well, I guess it's just the way it's going to be for my life, and we'll get them next year. And I just I feel like it doesn't have to be that way, you know. And I think people have started to lose hope, and even worse, I feel like eventually the players start to lose hope, and you get you get the Carson Palmer situation where players, you know, just want out. It's just it doesn't have to be that way. And and so I just was trying to find a fun, kind of interesting way to express all that dissatisfaction. And I love writing writing music, It's what I do obviously, so I figured this is a good way to kind of get my get my feelings out. Breck cathartic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you have an opportunity to that. Most of us don't, all right, So it's not the first time. I mean I've been around long enough to remember the nineties and that that dire straight when fans were showing up to games with bags of their heads asking Mike to sell the team. Then what's changed in those last thirty years?
Speaker 11: Nothing, nothing's changed. I mean I think every now and then, and I said this in my in my post a few weeks back, when you know, when they announced they weren't making any changes to to to any of the personnel, to the coaching staff, to you know, Duke Tobin was coming back. I mean, I just said, this is ridiculous. We have totally accepted losing, and our ownership is not interested in winning. I mean, I think it's just purely what bigger sample size do we need at this point than you know, the thirty five years that he's run this team. I mean it's absolutely We've had eight winning seasons, eight in thirty five years. Yeah, yeah, I mean you can it's just dumb luck. And I said that, I said, every now and then we catch finding at the bottle might making Super Bowl when a playoff game, and it keeps us to the fan base on the hook. But I think we have to start to demand more. I mean, this is a football rabid city. We all know that we love football, We love our Bengals, and unfortunately our Bengals don't love us back. And that's you know, that's an abusive relationship, quite honestly, and and he needs to be called out for it. I mean the proof is in everyone's in the analytics these days, right, It's all a numbers game. In terms of the numbers. Mike Brown is a loser. He's a He's a historic loser. I didn't realize that Bengals set an NFL record for the fewest games needed to reach two hundred losses. I mean it's historic losing that we've all been witnessed to and quite frankly, have financially supported for the thirty five years. I mean, people, can you know, they're harder money. They take their harder money, go out to sit in the cold and watch what he refuses to improve as a product on the field, and it just it's it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Well, but but I will say this, I think you're looking Nicklas ain't the wrong damn scoreboard to the best stretch arguably, and they might.
Speaker 2: Brown tenure was the Marvin Lewis hera.
Speaker 1: Six way had six wild card appearances in seven years, but six eliminations in those wildcard games never advanced.
Speaker 2: But you're looking at the wrong scoreboard.
Speaker 1: The value of this team, Nick is five point five billion with a buff of an initial investment I think of eight million dollars. That's a sixty nine thousand percent return since nineteen sixty seven, or twelve point four percent annually. That's better than the market average of ten percent. Are you looking at the wrong scoreboard.
Speaker 11: No, I'm looking at the right scorebard, which why I'm saying sell the team and take your five point nine or whatever it is billion, and walk into the sunset and let someone else take over the team who's interested in winning and interested in creating a winning culture for the people of Cincinnati. That's what we deserve as a fan base. That's what the Bengals deserve, the players deserve. You've shown clearly you're not interested in providing that, you know, in establishing a winning culture. Mike Brown's not interested in doing that. He's interested in the numbers. You just dropped he's interested in what the team's worth. So sell it and walk off into the sunset and let another ownership group come in who can who can try and do it the winner in Cincinnati. I know everyone's worried if Mike Brown sells the team that the Bengals are leaving Cincinnati. I don't think the NFL is interested in the Bengals leaving Cincinnati. It's good for the NFL to have a team in Cincinnati. It's good for the city. It's not There's plenty of other ownership groups that could come in, build a winner and keep it right there in Cincinnati. It doesn't have to be one of the others.
Speaker 1: Could you move it to Well, Cleveland needs a football team? Could we move to Cleveland.
Speaker 11: Wow, they've got a football team that may be even worse than ours. Sat again starts.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: The minute we start comparing ourselves to the Browns, we're in really bad stage. So you know what the bottom line is, we have a probably not probably in one hundred percent. We have the most incredible quarterback in the history of our franchise who's in the prime of his career. And what I'm afraid of, and I think what the people is sin Satiy should be afraid of, is that he's going to get frustrated to the point of saying, you know what, I can't take this anymore. I want to win and it's not going to happen here, and I want out. And I think we saw shit. Is it out a little bit this year though, even though he would deny it, But this is the this is the prime moment. I thought, like many people did, that when he came, he's a perfect quarterback for our team. I O kid, And there I thought the whole thing was gonna change that finally the Bengal was gonna find a way to redefine who they were as a franchise. And here we are, you know, four or five years later, feeling like the same thing is happening all over again. And it's just it's it's really sad, honestly. It's just that for the people who have supported this team, you know, so passionately and loyally for for decades, and you know, he put through the same cycle of futilities, it's unfortunately, all right.
Speaker 1: Nickola, do you want you want to buy this? As if that says are you trying to leverage him? So you can squeeze and help buy this team. Maybe not just I mean, you've got that ridiculous love is blind money. I get that, the ninety eighth agreement, ridiculous ten seasons. Now you're gonna shoot a here. You're a multi uh I don't. I can't even count that high. You got all this money, You're gonna buy this seam. You're gonna get some friends together. And this is about the leverage and Mike brought out so you can swoop in and save the day.
Speaker 11: I wish that was the case. I wish I had anything close to uh to the money would take to buy an enough a French No, of course not.
Speaker 3: I'm a fan.
Speaker 11: At the end of the day, I'm a fan, and I want to see this team when I've been through the heartbreak I've been, I've been at the playoff games. I've seen the futility. I've been you know, been to the Super Bowl, I've watched it all happen. I'm a fan, and I would love to see this horrible cycle that we've been living in as fans. I'd like to see it change. And I think that's never going to change as long as Mike Brown is the owner.
Speaker 1: What makes you think somebody somebody else comes in and buys it. I don't know, private equitever the hell it is? Uh, And it's not you're involved in this thing. I mean, it could be they want up moving the team, or maybe careful what you wish for.
Speaker 2: Maybe it does get worse.
Speaker 1: Is that possible.
Speaker 11: I don't think it's possible for it get for it to get worse. Honestly, I think you know you can. You can luck yourself into a playoff appearance every few years. I don't think that that's I don't think that's a fear of it getting worse. But I do think that And I think people with sinstantia are are right to be a word, you know, worried about this, that someone would come in and move the team. I just don't think that's gonna happen. I've I've got strong, strong feelings that the NFL does not want to see the team move. I don't know if the NFL would would mind and that ownership change. I mean, look at Buffalo. You know, they've they were sold. Rob Wilson, you know, passed, and they sold the team and now they're building a new stadium and the team's you know, for a playoff, you know, contender. So I mean, it doesn't mean the team has to move. Cincinnati is a great football town. I mean, look, my god, we've supported a team that's been horrible. We've been selling out that stadium for for for decades on on on horrible products that are being praded out in front of us. I mean, what more do you need to see, you know, as an owner than that. It doesn't mean the team is moving and leaving Cincinnati if the ownership changes. Also what they watched. But that's what they watch to think though, right, I mean, it's your base, you know, mentality like hey, well yeah, don't take the team, just we don't.
Speaker 4: We don't care what it looks like.
Speaker 11: Just don't take our teams. Don't take our team. I think that's that's kind of what we've been, you know, like a bludgeoned into into believing it's not it's not necessarily the case.
Speaker 2: Here's what, here's why I don't think that's true.
Speaker 1: Right, there's the Art Modell rule with basically said when Art Modell moved the move to Baltimore and subsequent win a Super Bowl, to tell you how curse Cleveland.
Speaker 2: Maybe the state is with professional football.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but they enacted the Armada, so meaning if you take public money that you've got to give them six months to get a Ohio ownership group together to buy the team at fair market value. That's what it says. So they just took public money. By the way, seventy four percent of the money to redo pay Corps is from the tax payers. The other twenty four twenty six percent is from the Bengals in the NFL. So kind of a minimal investment right there. But you know, only in Cincinnati we celebrate we're getting screwed, but we're getting screwed less than we did in the nineteen nineties with that horrific stadium deal.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, I've got the best stadium doing the league.
Speaker 3: They.
Speaker 11: I mean, up until about ten years ago, when the NFL implemented a floor to the salary cap, the Bengals were spending less than anybody else in the league. Like it's because of the revenue sharing. They're making all kinds of money and they're not even pumping it back into their own roster. It wasn't until the NFL changed the rule to force teams like the Bengals to actually spend the money on their players that they even did that.
Speaker 3: I mean, there's no more.
Speaker 11: Evidence we need to see that this ownership group does not care about winning. They simply don't. They care about all the numbers you illustrated earlier with the team's worth so great, I mean, what a phenomenal investment you inherited. Take it and run. Let somebody else come in who cares about winning.
Speaker 1: Nick Lashey, do you think that the Bengals care about Cincinnati, care about the fans?
Speaker 11: I mean, what evidence do you see at how active are they in the community. I mean, what about all the great foundations they know? I don't think they care about Cincinnati at all. I mean, and if they did, it would be about more than just money, right, Yeah, I mean this team is a part of the fabric of the city and everyone in that city wants to see him win. Everyone but the people who need to want to see them win, and that's the owners.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I'll say this. I had a council member Mark Jeffries late last week on my show and we were talking about it. Kind of I didn't see this coming, but we're talking about one of his initiatives is youth football in the city. As you know, it's very expensive to rent fields at CPS because of crime. You have to have armed security and you run it from CPS. No youth football teams can afford that. You don't have that in the suburbs. You got that in Cincinnati. So he brought up the fact that you know the Reds obviously with the Reds Community Fund and the Urban Youth Academy does great.
Speaker 2: FC's doing that with you soccer.
Speaker 1: And then he brought up the Bengals and said, look, the Dallas Cowboys at the top of the league, nine million dollars a year. They give back to the city of Dallas, to the community. The Packers do about a million and a half. My Bills do about a million.
Speaker 9: One.
Speaker 1: Seattle does six hundred and sixty two million. Cincinnati last year thirty thousand dollars, and the year before that, in twenty twenty three was zero. Now, granted, you can do charitable donations and they're very generous. When I understand privately, they don't want the they don't really want the attention. They just want to do it from from a philanthropic perspective as opposed to getting credit. But when you're pooning up the money where for a stadium, you've kind of got to make the effort. You kind of got to make it known that you're doing. How easy it would be for them to lean into youth football in Cincinnati, as the Reds did with baseball and FC would do with soccer.
Speaker 2: To your point, there's some ammunition here.
Speaker 11: I think it's I think it's an incredible point you just made, and it's one that a lot of people don't pay attention to. I mean, there's a lot of there's a lot of criticism of the Reds and and but baseball and football are two totally different. The animals, you know, the structure of those sports is totally different. The banks have absolutely zero excuse. They're making billions and as I said in my post a few weeks back, billions on the backs of hard working Sincnati's and you're going out there and spending their money on supporting this team. But we've we've made this family billions of dollars, and what have they given back to the community and the city that's doing that and supporting them. It's next to nothing. I mean, they don't care. I can't say it any more clearly, they simply don't care. They don't care about winning, and I don't think they care about the city of Cincinnati. I think the evidence is and everything you just said. I mean, they care about making the money, and they've done it time and time again, and we've supported it time and time again.
Speaker 1: Nick Lache, you're you're not the first person to say, hey, sell the damn team already, and I'm load to tell people to do with their own damn money, because at the end of the day of tickets, I think we are like two one point two percent off season ticket sales year over year, which is, you know, it doesn't sound like much, but in the NFL world, it's a lot, a little bit of a dropping. Some of the teams are doing that as well. People are still showing up for the product. Isn't that the issue?
Speaker 3: That is the issue?
Speaker 11: I mean, I think the people are scared to say, hey, we're gonna we're gonna, you know, we're going to vote with our pocket but you know, so to speak, and we're going to boake out the team and we're not going to show up well, and then he's going to take the team away. He'll move the team to San Diego and we lose our team. That's the that's the fear based model that we're operating in year in and year out. And I think it's time that we kind of have to demand more. I mean, we have to have an expectation of winning, or an expectation of at least running up front. Our scouting department is the smallest in the league. I mean, we clearly showed we can't evaluate talent, and we can't evaluate college talent. We can't even evaluate our talent. I mean, look at wwarth a few years back. The unatty wanted to stay here and Mike Brown told him he thought his best years were behind him. You know, well, go ahead, sign somewhere else. He goes on times with the Rams, there's a perennial Hall.
Speaker 3: Pro and wins the super Bowl of the year.
Speaker 11: We can't even evaluate our own town.
Speaker 3: It's a joke.
Speaker 11: If we spend no money to that, I shouldn't say we they spend no money to invest in the scouting department that can start to evaluate town or coaching staff. But we just accept losing just another year and today it's just it's nuts.
Speaker 1: Well, the good news is Reds Baseball is not that far far away. You got your Hano Suarez back in the lineup. But the bullpen looks good, the rotation looks good. You got depth on the outfield, you got depth in the bench. Better days are ahead for the Reds and the Bengals. Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 11: You know what I mean, it's there's all enohing but hope on the horizon, right. I mean, it's like when baseball season start. But gosh, I mean, at the end of the day, the great baseball town, it's also a great football town. And and this city deserves they deserve more again, man, I mean, Brown family has made so much money on the backs of Cincinnatian's great.
Speaker 3: Good for you.
Speaker 11: Let somebody else come in and buy the team. Who cares about winning? Because it's clear to me, and I should be clear to everybody that the Brown family simply does not. So you know, I mean, if you care about Cincinnati, prove it.
Speaker 2: You know, why should they listen to Nick? Why why should they listen to you?
Speaker 11: Oh, I'm absolutely sure they're not listening to me, nor will they listen to me, you know, I mean, there's no one who can force themselves. Sure they can you know, continue to do what they do, and they probably will, but it's not right. Don't pretend you care about Cincinnati, you know, pretend you care about the city of Cincinnati and all those things, when this is how you operate a team that means so much to the people of Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: No, it's not just the It's not the Bengals. I mean, the Reds were suffering.
Speaker 1: Who saw what happened in LA you watch those games live nick liche and getting swept.
Speaker 2: But hopefully this year they do better.
Speaker 1: But again, we don't know what the season is gonna wind up coming to, for what's going to happen at the end of the season. I guess I should say, do you see Bearcats aren't very goodavior is getting better, but not very good. All our hopes and dreams right now are centered on Oxford, to the Miami RedHawks and the undefeated team.
Speaker 2: Everyone's going nuts for Oxford.
Speaker 1: The only the only like like feel good moment, and FC is going to start at Vander may wind up leaving that he may get bought away by bigger teams, slawed by bigger fish.
Speaker 2: That's a problem.
Speaker 1: And so I look around and go damn Cincinnati sports sucks right now. It's it's tough to be optimistic. Maybe save for the Reds, We're always optimistic here. The biggest, you know, the biggest sports news was the last go week is the fact that our boy John John had a half court shot at the Miami game.
Speaker 11: I asked him what what AI for he used to pull that one off? And he claimed to me that it was it was the actual footage. But hey, let me give a quick shout out to my my red Hawks. Before the summer of ninety five, this joy ninety degrees and start my musical career. But the year before that, I was at Miami and I was the athletic trainer for men's basketball, and we went to the tournament, won the first round games. The great team. Guys who know Miami knows like Devin Dave name hate me and Derrek Cross and so it's great to see I know everyone knows the Wall, the Zerbeakers, but it's great to see Miami basketball back.
Speaker 3: On the on the maps.
Speaker 11: The shout to those guys are.
Speaker 1: Killing yeah, yeah, absolutely, And of course the legendary that would have been legendary Charlie Coles back.
Speaker 2: And work in the day.
Speaker 11: Well, Look at this, Look at this coaching roster. It's Hurtsdick is a huge, Sean Miller assistant, Charlie Coles assistant, and then Sad Motto was the restricted coach. Ye at one point all four of those guys were D one head coaches. Is unbelievable.
Speaker 1: And now you got Travis Steele leading them to glory. We'll see what happens with the uh with of course the tournament coming up. Uh, he's Nick Lache.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: And again you go to our our social fee, go to the seven hundred w W seven hundred WW or if you follow Nick on social.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The video and the song are out there, and of course uh, I just played a clip of it. Will probably play a little bit more when you leave. Nick Lache is demanding, he is demanding the Bengals be sold or else or else.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to hear what the or else is.
Speaker 11: I'm encouraged. I'm encouraging. And again, you know, it's a it's a tall, tall order. Probably won't happen. But man, at some point I think that the fan base, we as a fan base, have to we have to demand a little more. It's just I mean, it's just abusive at this point, and they don't seem to care. So maybe maybe this little, this little ditty I.
Speaker 1: Wrote away from you no no more, no more sacrificing than Nicholas, our brother. I appreciate you checking in man.
Speaker 3: Thanks, yeah, thanks for having God.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 1: It's hard to tell people what to do with their own damn money. But if your name has Cincinnati in the front or back of the jersey, uh, there's a debt, yo, I think to the community, and Nick is pissed off, and I love it.
Speaker 2: Sloany seven hundred w all time to.
Speaker 7: Talk about money, how to make it, how they keep it, and how to keep others off your stack. This is all Worth Advice with Andy Shaeffer Money on Tuesday. Tuesday's Money Day Here on the Scotsland Show.
Speaker 1: Andy Schaeffer from all Worth Financial jumps in to talk about the White Death.
Speaker 2: It's good way you can work from home today. Huh yeah.
Speaker 12: Unfortunately, I'm going to be in the office most of the day to day. All right, but I don't mind. I have a four x four I can get around you go, look at you go.
Speaker 1: I took my wife's SUV today and I'm sure if you're you know, women listening to this thing. I'd probably go, okay, you're not wrong about that. I pulled another parking garage this morning, Andy, and I look in. I'm like, you know, I got a couple of erranster are on the way back. Does she have where's a snowbrush? Let me get it ready, you know? And so I'm looking through I find it. I'm not kidding you. I found an empty shoe box. I found one shoe. I found two sandals. I found two golf balls. I found a measuring tape. I found some sort of looks like something she was going to return they received in the bag was dated September. I found a scratch off lottery tickets, an empty can of gum, three charging cords, a partridge in at paratree.
Speaker 2: Not one damn snowbrush to be found in the whole vehicle.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I can relate. My wife's car looks like a yard sale blew up in there soon. You know, that's kind of how it goes.
Speaker 2: I guess, I don't know, don't I don't get not being prepared.
Speaker 1: But she did have gas in the tank. That's first I give her credit. There was almost a full tank of gas. So God bless her. Let's get into the money stuff this morning, Andy, and the big one. You know, I'm kind of wonky. I don't know why I'm so caught up in this whole Project Vaulting that we're doing. And this maybe outside your scope of what you want to talk about this morning, but I don't care. I'll just throw I'll feel snowballs at you here. It has to do with the rare earth minerals, and so Trump is launching a twelve billion dollars strategic stockpile of critical minerals so we can ease our dependence on Chinese supplies and protect our domestic manufacturers and most important, of course, our national security, so we don't have to get rare earth minerals, which are needed for pretty much everything we run these days. That's technologically advanced China, as we know, the world's largest producer. They're about seventy percent of do seven, about seven percent of the extraction, ninety percent of processing. And I think it's interesting we are president that's finally willing to move forward and do something about this and balance.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I think it's important. What Project vault is a public and private partnership. You know that it basically will buy and store critical minerals and rare earth minerals. You know, gallium and cobalt are a big part of that. They're essential for modern technology and defense equipment. And it will combine about one point sixty seven billion and private seed funding and another ten billion from US government's Export Import Bank. And so, you know, I think what's happening here is essentially Donald Trump recognizes that we are dependent on a lot of rare earth minerals from China and from a military perspective that funds a lot of our you know, defense contracting and builds a lot of the projects that we're working with. We need to be impendent independent. So I think this is important, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And that's how we need to file the two because all the noise out there with you, whether it's ice or now, we want to federalize the elections, and I think some of these important things and good things get get you know, ground out and overshadowed by those those polarizing comments.
Speaker 2: And so you know, stuff is getting done.
Speaker 1: And Greg, granted, we have got another government shutdown on which maybe by the time we're talking to this guy I don't know right now. They may be opening things back up, who the hell knows. But this is the kind of stuff, This is important stuff that we really need to pay attention to, and that's going to sound so good for the economy. Yeah, and you already have.
Speaker 12: A dozen companies that have kind of already joined the initiative. You have General Motors, Boeing, Corning, ge Google, So there's a lot of global commodities trading firms that are also on board with it, that are going to be handling it like Heart Treat Partners, Tracks these North America and others. And so everybody's taking this seriously. So I don't really see a whole lot of pushback on this because I think it's very clear why this is important.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's pivot here to the big story on Wall Street today.
Speaker 1: President Trump, of course nominating the next FED chair, and he was talking about getting rid of the guy now, and it was like, well, let's just wait, because you're gonna not need to guy's coming in any way. And the reason the president's a clear he wants the FED to have policy support economic growth is because of things like price stability, and you know whether or not we balance that with the labor market expansion and.
Speaker 2: The like, and then his nominee is not that guy. Can you explain what's going on?
Speaker 12: Yeah, Kevin Worsh. He was a former banker and Federal Reserve governor. He previously served as an economic advisor to both President George W. Bush and President Trump. And it's interesting because you saw gold and silver and precious metals collapse, and a lot of that had to do with investors believing that Kevin Worsh is actually more of a hawk And what that means is is somebody on the Fed Board of Governors that believes in low inflation as opposed to job growth and the health of the labor market in general. They're more focused on getting inflation under control. And so originally what we thought was that Trump was going to nominate somebody like Kevin Hassett for the job who would be widely looked at as somebody that would be a pawn of Donald Trump's and continue to cut rates and do what Donald Trump wanted. And so when Kevin Worsh was announced, I think the markets were in a little bit of a shock because his history is more of a hawkish tone and keeping on inflation under control, and what that means for the gold market is is gold and silver and precious metals typically are investments where investors flee to as a hedge against inflation. So when he was nominated and it looks like he's going to attack inflation and that's going to be kind of his main focus, obviously, it triggered a sell off in gold and precious metals. And once that occurred, then the snowball effect came. You know, you have futures contracts that are starting to need to be covered, you have margin calls that are starting going on the price decline. As far as gold and precious metals are concerned, ets, everybody starts to sell. And that's why you saw the deep decline and precious metals over the last couple of weeks is largely you had to begin with the fact that Kevin Worrish was nominated. Now, I do think this is a good nominee because investors believe that he will remain independent of the pressures of Washington, d C. And so from a big picture point of view, I think this was a good call.
Speaker 1: Okay, And we saw the you know, we saw the market bounce back because of that day yesterday, Yeah.
Speaker 12: And it was great, you know, and a lot of that had to do with the fact that, you know, when we see everybody flee to precious metals gold, silver and whatnot, a lot of it has to do with uncertainty. And it looks to it appears that we have a trade gear deal in place with India, and that was some of other big news. We've been working with them for months to try to come up with something and essentially we had twenty five percent tariffs on their goods and another twenty five percent tariff on you know, their energy, and largely what we wanted them to do is stop selling oil to Russia and fueling you know, the war in Ukraine. And so when Modi decided to make a deal there, we were able to reduce tariffs back to eighteen percent, so that went from essentially fifty percent to eighteen percent, and they agreed to stop selling.
Speaker 2: Oil to Russia.
Speaker 12: And so anytime that we get, you know, some news that removes the uncertainty, not only from a tariff point of view, but from a geopolitical point of view, the market's generally like that. We have a more clear picture now the economy is in fairly good health and so naturally the market is going to respond favorably.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and every day it is something new, and I think for most people, and we keep track of this stuff, it's kind of our jobs, Dandy Schaeffer. Most people don't have time for that. And you know, the noise and all the attention and you know, jumping up and down screaming tends to overshadow these big things. But it's a rare earth mental thing or what we're talking about here. The world's not ending. Yeah, well, that's part of the job that I really love.
Speaker 12: You know, My job is to reduce the stress of my clients, letting them know that we have a close eye on not only this type of news, but how it affects the markets and how it affects the economy so they can go about living their lives and enjoy retirement and gallivan all over the world. And you know, I enjoyed this type of uh, this type of work. I love having a focus on, you know, what the economy is doing and how these decisions are affecting the markets and and our livelihood in general. And so I try to make you know, try to sift through a lot of the minution and provide some clarity. And you know, that's that's that's part of what makes me proud to do my job.
Speaker 2: So what you're saying is capitalism isn't dead, is what's going on.
Speaker 1: I read a story today a guy said we're actually capitalist and died, we haven't noticed yet. And now we're in like a tech oligarchy where the big tech companies will control everything, elections, parties, all that stuff, and we will be holding the money's all in the cloud.
Speaker 12: Well, I mean, you know, worsh even mentioned that he saw productivity gains, particularly in AI. Keeping inflation contained is you know, part of his goal obviously, but he will allow the father lower rates without sacrificing you know, the credibility of interest rates. And so the markets really kind of look at it and say, okay, well, we'ren't unmoved by all of this. You know, the pricing future cuts didn't really budge, and so you know, we're still looking at potentially one or two cuts this year. And I think, you know, that's been on track with what we've been looking at, you know, going back the last six months or so. One I think I think the probably the next one we're looking at is probably in June.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Well, by the way, when is that peaceful transfer of power from Jerome Powell to warsh Well, he's.
Speaker 12: You know, he's schedule to take over on May fifteen, but you know there's some political pressure there. You know, you have a center named Tom Tillis. He's a member of the Senate Banking Committee, and he made a statement suggesting he would kind of support Walsh, but reiterated that you know, he's not doesn't want to advance any FED nominations until the DOJ's investigation Engage investigation involving Chair pal and the remodeling of the whole Federal Reserve building thing is resolved. So you know, there still needs to be some approval process there. But I think this one will go pretty smoothly because I think both sides of the aisle, you know, have a lot of confidence in Kevin.
Speaker 1: Worsh Okay, So we'll wait till May fifteenth to see that transfer. And meanwhile, the head of the FED is just holding steady.
Speaker 12: Yeah, holding steady. The target range for the FED funds rate remained at three and a half to three zero point seventy five percent. Two members did prefer an additional cut. Governor Christopher Waller and Stephan Miron dissented in favor of a quarter percent cut, and so there is some descent within the Fed. But you know, it looks like, you know, the FED is comfortable right now understanding that the labor market is still in decent shape and inflation is trying in the right direction. So they don't see, you know, they don't seem to be in any hurry to upset the apple card at this point. And you know, if if inflation continues to trend downward, I think you're the next cause likely this.
Speaker 1: Summer, Okay, And I know because of this, I don't know, this blip that's a temporary government shut down or partial whatever the hell they're kind of on, it's over by now. Does anyone paying attention to markets don't care anymore what the hell they're doing, whether that work or don't work. But we were also not getting some more numbers out because of this, right well, And.
Speaker 12: That's the problem for me is that you know, you know, a lot of the numbers now are going to be stalled with you know, with the types of stuff that I'm looking for. You know, when you look at the economic calendar. You know, we're going to get job we expected to get job openings, you know, and the Joltry report, and those are going to be delayed. You know, a lot of the US unemployment rate on Friday, the hourly wages, a lot of those things are going to get delayed. And you know, from a personal standpoint, I have a lot of clients that work in the government sector. I have a I have a cousin that works in the government sector. And you know, when when the government is shut down for forty five days, you know, most people do live paycheck to paycheck, and if you're not getting that income coming in, it can be very stressful, particularly when you don't know when the end is in sight. Now this particular time, it seems like cooler heads are going to prevail. I think that we're going to come to a resolution here in the next few days, but that remains to be seen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, as I said last time, the government shut down, and this is ending like last time, because it was what forty five days, like you said, first couple of weeks, two three weeks ore theater at that point, and after thirty days, then it starts to get real and then by forty five days people start to feel the pain. So largely most of these things go away because it is just that it is theater and somebody will blinker, they'll they'll capitulate and come and well, you know, we're doing this because we kick the can down the road. Last time, we shut the government down. So these guys can't agree on anything. That is also part of the problem with the markets. As you said, don't seem to care at all about this. The labor market right now, it's starting to cool, you know, it's been cooling for a while, and these'll delay and the numbers are going to you know, not provide a clear picture there. But how far before we hit bottom on this do you think? Well, I don't think we're near the bottom.
Speaker 12: You know, we're still expecting about sixty five thousand jobs and the unemployment rate to remain at four point four percent. You know, obviously that's higher than it has been over the past years, so but historically that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good.
Speaker 12: So, you know, and I think the FED field is that way too. If the FED thought that the labor market was starting to waiver significantly, where it's becoming a problem they would certainly pivot and start to cut rates, but they don't. And so I think you have to listen to what they have to say, you know, because they have all the data, the data in front of them. And if the Fed's not worried about the labor market, I'm not going to be worried about the labor market either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking labor, and labor's local. Obviously, this issue with Ice and Springfield, and it hasn't happened yet, but they're preparing for the worst and hoping for the best. Obviously, I'm doing a deep dive on this, and if you missed it on the show this morning at ten thirty five, maybe give that a listen to. And that is that there's like ten to fifteen thousand in the Springfield or came there because of temporary protected status. They want them to come and take jobs immediately following COVID, but then learn.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know what, Springfield's pretty good.
Speaker 1: The cost of housing and living is pretty cheap, the money and the jobs are pretty good. It's a nice place to, you know, to put your head. People came from all of the country already here, like place like Miami where was too expensive to live their lives. So a lot of people moved here and open businesses up. The rate of employment I think in in that area is something like over ninety five percent, which is incredible. If they come in and you know, these people are escorted, shown to the door because their TPS is expiring. What happens to the economy in Springfield? I was hypothesizing about that. You know, we had a tremendous collapse there. It's a small town that was dying and decaying. Immigrants came at the behast of the US government. They created jobs, were created, manufacturing located there because of the stable job. They hardworking, good people, and now that's going to go away. What happens to the economy in Ohio, let alone Springfield, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it could take a hit.
Speaker 12: You know, the dichonomy of the White House right now is, you know, they have a they have a challenge of following the law versus economic development, right, and so a lot of what they are trying to do is posture and pander to their base to be to make sure that they're saying, hey, we said we were going to do these types of things, and we're going to do them now. Most immigrants I believe are here with good intentions. They want to work hard, they want to produce their take. They take jobs that a lot of citizens of the United States don't want, and so they pre they provide value. And so you know when you go in and you and you wholesale and and and pick everybody out and send them back, Yeah, you're probably following the law, but you're also going to have to deal with the impact of the potential uh decline from an economic standpoint, because those jobs do need to get need to get filled. So it's a delicate dance and there's not a lot of you know, right answers here. I think there's a lot of gray area and how this should be approached, But from an economic standpoint, it will certainly have an impact.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like you're you know, you're playing with fire in a sense. You know, the agenda was, Hey, get the people who are causing problems, the criminals out of here, gangs. It's okay, good, But this is like they've already tps. It's not like the situation that Hey's improving. Some say it's actually getting worse, with gangs running like eighty percent of Porter prints the prime city. There and so you hear this and go, well, why why won't you just let leave the status alone. It's like you're looking for trouble now when you don't need it. Why why if you just let things stay the way they are, it seems to be fine. No one's needing cats and dogs. And to your point, the people that want them out of there because because jobs aren't going to take the jobs anyway, because it's it's hard work. It's manufacturing, it's agriculture, it's construction, all those things.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and you know, that's kind of a moral dilemma there, and it was a huge moral and from you know, from a political standpoint, you know, I don't really you know, care what the politicians say. You know, I have to focus on within my job how it impacts the economy and be able to pivot. And it makes it harder for you know, business owners and you know also talents that really throw on the economy and utilize the immigrants that are there to produce. So, I mean, it's a it's a challenging situation. Again, I don't think there's any right right answers there, But you know, that's not the line of business that I'm in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I get it, but you know it's not good for the I don't think it's good for the economy of Springfield, Ohio.
Speaker 2: For that you're throwing people out who are there to work anyway.
Speaker 1: Andy Shaffer, simply money is the show tonight at six on fifty five car see he's over at all Worth Financial jumps in every Tuesday, Andy Shaeffer, the Minister of Money here on the Scott Sloan Show.
Speaker 2: All the best, Buddy, be well, all right, Scott Tucky later.
Speaker 1: Run and lay. We got Willie waiting in the wings. Here next on this snowy Tuesday morning, seven hundred w do other dy since now