Speaker 1: Well, since the Dodgers are in Saint Louis, I thought it would be a great time to revisit with our man that is the king of the Inland Empire, the man that has won two World Series Championships with the Dodgers and is still a cult hero, the one and Only Mariachi. Joe Kelly is on Dodger Talk. Joe Man, I'm glad to spice up your life because I've seen what you're doing and you need me back in your.
Speaker 2: Life, spice on my life. I appreciate it. It's a pleasure talking to you. Are you only calling me because the team is in Saint Louis and that's where I started my career.
Speaker 1: Yes, exactly. A depressing start to your career. Thank god you got out of there and you got to two real teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate it. I did get to some real teams. How you been, buddy.
Speaker 1: Everything's great, everything's great. You know. You know what bugs me, Joe about Saint Louis and the Cardinals. They always say it's the Cardinals way to play baseball. It feels like the Dodgers are doing a pretty good job of doing Dodger baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was. I think it's like, you know, when you get one of those cool nicknames and they're like, oh, how did you get that nickname? And it was like, you know, self proclaimed, and it's like you don't want to tell anybody like how you got that cool nickname?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think the Dodgers if they would start saying the Dodger way, and they'd be like, who said that? And you can just make something up, be like, oh, the Cardinal fans told us it's a Dodger way, and then then you can write a whole book or a movie what everyone do about it.
Speaker 1: I don't feel like Joe Kelly would fit into that box the Cardinals try to say everybody fit into.
Speaker 2: I think that's why I got traded bro. I was only there for two and a half years because I don't. I don't necessarily think I was the Cardinal's way. Now, looking back.
Speaker 1: At it, you are not very Saint Louis.
Speaker 2: That's true. But I do love Saint Louis food, so I tried. You know, that's one thing I do miss if I was doing a job like yours, what do you what do you? What do you call yours? You know, on field talent. What is that even called?
Speaker 1: How about just you? Right now?
Speaker 2: I'd be right now with the boys. I'd be taking them out. I mean, you don't hang out with the boys. The boys don't like you. But I'd be taking them out to Pappy's in Saint Louis, you know what I mean. Get the boys some ribs, some good barbecue.
Speaker 1: You know, nap, take a nap after that.
Speaker 2: To watch the freaking huh. There's no that's for old men like you. That's for old men like you.
Speaker 1: Isn't that what you're doing now that you're retired. During the day, you're out there somewhere in the Inland Empire. You do your thing until eleven am. Then you take a nap, and then you take Knox to baseball practice, and then you show up at a hockey game or a single a baseball game.
Speaker 2: You know what, I just go for the best teams around, you know what I'm saying. It's just they call me the they call me the Inland Empire. Drake, dude, just a front runner nine.
Speaker 1: Drake, You're the biggest celebrity in the Inland Empire. I actually told the Ontario Tower Buzzers Blake Snell's rehab start the other night was the biggest thing since Joe Kelly's rehab starts out there.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's be serious, dude, I know that Blake Snell doesn't listen. Who got more people to show up at the game, Blake Snell or Joe Kelly.
Speaker 1: It was a toss up.
Speaker 2: No, don't throw the toss up, dude. You know this clip's gonna air. Just just you're not gonna hurt his feelings. Dude, you are.
Speaker 1: You are a legend in the Inlampire. You have more street cred in the nine oh nine than Blake Snell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, Blake. Blake Snell's a lot better pictures though he's pretty I was. I was just there for good times, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: No, you were more. You were there for more than that. And uh, I was wondering how much how much fomo do you still have? Do you have any fomo?
Speaker 2: No? Oh fear of missing out?
Speaker 1: Yeah with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: No, I'm I like watching dude. It's fun. It's it's it's it's cool to see it from the outside, you know. Obviously I'd like to get some more games, but I mean, there's only so many times that I could walk past my face, you know, on the upper concourse level and have to say hi to the guy named David Besse. So I like watching at home. It's been interesting, you know. It's the thing that I that come I with, you know, the day that I don't follow any metia or nothing right, but the day the day that the two days go well, then yeah twoars ago and show he started pitch great, but the day that he doesn't full blown hit, we scores a o run. So that was very interesting.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm glad you brought that up because we we can't figure out whether or not he's all in with this plan, but it makes sense. Do you believe that you know he Do you think he understands why the Dodgers are doing this? And do you feel like he's bought in?
Speaker 2: Ooh? I can't answer for show, hey, but taking my own personal experiences, you know, they called me the showhy of of UC Riverside, even though I never actually played, even though I never actually took at an official at bat in college baseball, but I went in as an outfielder obviously right, and then I got turned into a picture. So originally thought I was in a two way right. I was like, oh cool, I'll just throw ninety seven or whatever that I got clocked out as a young freshman, and then I'll and then I'll play the outfield. Quickly that I learned that I would be a po A picture only, which which which? Which? Really? Which? Really? Uh kind of pissed me off, obviously because I was a I never pissed and I wanted to be an alfielder. So knowing my own personal experiences, I wasn't happy and I was not bought in. I wasn't bought in even until the end of my whole first season closing at UCR. You know, not to too my own horn, but I was Big West Pitcher of the year. I was an All American. Uh, I had the most saves in one season. I made TMSA. And even though I made TSA, I was like, oh, maybe I could come back and learn to let me hit my sophomore year, you know what I mean. So even though I was a picture only, I still I was bought in that I was a good pitcher, yes, but I wasn't bought in. I was leaving out hope like maybe I will hit. So that's my own personal experience. So now if I'm put myself in show, he's mine where you know, I'm what two seasons removed from hitting fifty homers. You know, even though my batting average says I'm struggling at the plate, you know when I pitch, but when we could score zero runs and once being in the back, I could maybe create free runs. Uh, there's a possibility that, you know, it's in the back of his mind. But he's so respectful and he's just gonna do what the organization tells him. So you know, it's hard to tell what what what he thinks or what he says. But from my own experience, you know, I still thought I'd be a two way player after a season of you know, pitching really really well and college baseball.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly comparing his uh Division three UC Riverside experience, too, whats the respect on hers?
Speaker 2: I did? It's a Division one program? Oh? Is it?
Speaker 1: Is it Division one? Now?
Speaker 2: It's still Division one? You clown?
Speaker 1: All right, all seriousness? Since o'tani is wearing your number number seventeen, what do you believe is the solution to be able to get him through a full season at thirty one years old? Now, Joe, he's not twenty eight or twenty seven. What would you do? Let him hit on the same days that he pitches and maybe give him the next day off. Would you not lead him off? How would you manage it?
Speaker 2: How would I manage it? I would manage it just by a personal fill or a healthwise standpoint. Right, we don't know what if he's barking from you know, taking swings and pitching, Like, what if his arm gets more tired, you know, in the past couple of starts while he's hitting. What if he's having those conversations behind the scenes. No one knows, right, So I would just probably, you know, try to be in tune with shohe as much as I can leading up to a start. You know, if he says he's ready to rock, and I'd let him swing if something's bugging him or or maybe the swings are messing with his mechanics or you know, I mean he's dominating on the mountain right and something you don't want to mess up. He's one of the best pitchers in all of baseball, you know, American League, National League. So when that's happening, you know, as an organization, you're like well, shoot, maybe he's more valuable as a pitcher and we could just keep him at this high level of performance that he's doing now and we'll just skip the four at bets. He's gonna get that game, you know what I mean. So if that's the case, I would, if you know that that's the reason why Show he could pitch that, well, I would definitely as a as a manager or as an organization, I'd be like, hey, Show, you are the best pitcher in baseball right now, Like do you want to mess that up? And I just asked him personally, and if he says no, they'll be like, all right, well you're not going to hit today, you know what I mean. So it just be those conversations that I have behind the scenes that no one knows. No one knows the real reason. Right, We'll never get the real reason. You know, you know how baseball goes. But you know, if it's working, you know, he dominate on the amount like he is. You know, it's whatever he feels is he's most comfortable with to keep that high level performance.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly is our guest. No introduction needed for this guy. Here's something Joe, you would have to agree though, like you said, have a feel for what's happening in the here and now on this past homestand it's a night game and then there's a twelve o'clock game the very next day that he has to pitch the night before. You can understand in that situation like, hey, you got to pick one day that you're not going to hit, right, I mean, that would be one of those feel situations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's those click turnarounds that are always good times to you know, for anybody, you know, an older position player, you know, to have it like a miggy road to completely take it off where you know you're in turfs, or maybe you might pinch it, or maybe an older reliever right who's you know is good to go back to back, but since it's a quick turnaround's like, hey, might as well stay away from back to back to keep them, you know, healthy down the stretch. There's always those things that go into play that that the fans won't see or or realize until you know, conversation like me and you're having right now, it has happened. So those quick turnarounds are are are obviously tough. There's so much research now, there's so much, you know, uh, underlying you know effects, you know, whether it's sleep, whether it's you know, my body hasn't you know, got rid of all the lactic acid yet, and I'm still sore from the day before. There's all these little things that go into it. So yeah, there there there's times to choose where you should completely have it offen and with a quick turnaround like that, I think you know, those days are obviously, you know, more easy to you know, have a conversation with the players saying like hey, this's quick turnaround, like why don't you just take the day off? And sometimes the player are gonna tell you, like myself, I've done my whole career where you're gonna go out there, you know, banged up or even actually physically hurt, and you're like, I'm still gonna prove point, Like I'm gonna do this for my teammates. But that's what the leaders are there for, that's the doctor's for, that's what the front offices there for. That's what pitching coaches and haity coaches there for. It's like, hey, we're taking you know, this option off the table because we know what the answer you would give us is. You're gonna play, but we're just gonna actually just not put you in the lineup on purpose, just to you know, kind of keep you away from, you know, your own self harm.
Speaker 1: I'd say, yeah, you guys sometimes protect the player from himself, especially a guy like you that had a high pain tolerance or a guy like Otani who's the greatest player on the planet. I mean, guys like you and him in different ways. You're built differently, and somebody's got to step in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there, someone has to step in. And it's like, you know, you're on a you're on a racehorse, and the horse could you know, be physically hurt, but you mean you smack him on the butt, he's gonna he's gonna run, you know what I mean. They just know nothing about competition. And that's like professional athletes. So there's there's ways that, you know, the smarter people in the room should be able to step in him and just you know, kind of put it into their own hands and take the player out of a game. And that's what those guys get paid the big bucks for.
Speaker 1: All right, Joe Kelly, since you are a great LA sports fan, there's no denying your Dodgers have eclipsed the Lakers. Has been the greatest show in Los Angeles, right, Otani, Freddie Mookie, way bigger than Lebron and Luca at this point, Right, even with the Lakers in the playoffs, or do you feel like it's still a very close race on if you had to choose to watch or go to one of these games, it would be a coin flip. Who what do you think LA is feeling right now?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a tough question to go and watch in person. Obviously myself, I'm going to choose an NBA game just because it's so it's so fun for me to watch as a non NBA player, right, I just have so much respect for those guys. But overall, yes, I think southern California, you know, the whole state, or let's just put l A. I think the Dodgers have now surpassed every organization, not including NBA, not including you know, NFL. I think they're the greatest organization in all of sports to watch or to be a part of. But yeah, the Lakers are obviously, you know, something, something that's close to my heart. You know, I'm not not saying that the three to zero lead has is gonna is gonna fall, right. I sell confidence, but eventually a record like that has to break, right. So I'm I'm I'm not very optimistic. I'm optimistic that the Lakers are are the better team. But when you see those stats of three oh teams coming back, it's never been done in the history of NBA, and you know, it's something that I like to see the Lakers come out the next game, you know, be a little bit more physical from the from the start. They put look good in the fourth last night. You know, they battled, took some errant shots that that were you know, they make sense. You know, the pressure of the games, it's like everyone wants to be a hero and try to win the game. But they played the last like five minutes of that fourth quarter last night, for the whole entire game. There's no doubt. My mind will move on to the next round.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll see if that happens. So you're you're all in with the Lakers. But here's the most random thing you'll ever see. The Drake of the Inland Empire and Joe Kelly sitting rinkside right on the glass at an Anaheim Ducks playoff game wearing the orange Jersey. I never heard you once talk about the Ducks. Now all of a sudden, you're the biggest celebrity in Anaheim at a Ducks game.
Speaker 2: Hey, hockey is an amazing sport, right.
Speaker 1: So especially when the tickets are free.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's true. So obviously I was born in Anaheim. I lived in Anaheim half my life.
Speaker 1: I never heard you mentioned Anaheim once.
Speaker 2: Okay, get out here. But you know, my wife Ashley and her parents have been season ticket holders all the way up until you know, a few years back, and they were always Duck fans, and for me, it was something that you know, I started getting a little more into since it stop playing. I've been watching pretty much all sports, and what do you know, the Ducks are are are a great young team to watch, very exciting. Uh. What's crazy to me is that they're still rebuilding, right and they're they're doing this well. So it's it's been one of the things that I've I've became a a an Anaheim Ducks fan as of recent and I have no problem saying that. You know, I am the the the Drake fan of the Inland Empire. But hey, you got you gotta you gotta pick a winner, and and and the Ducks is what I'm picking. And it doesn't hurt that they're a lot closer to my house. It's a lot easier drive than than going to l A.
Speaker 1: So here he is the drake of the I e at an Anaheim Ducks game right there, front and center, and then at an Ontario Tower Buzzers game high a base. And then the Lakers now have relocated their G League team to the Coachella Valley. So you're gonna see the Drake of the Ie Joe Kelly court side at a Lakers G League game next year.
Speaker 2: Bro the CV Lakers, Baby. Then I'll then I'll head up up to Joshua Tree and you know, spend a couple of days out there on my own trying to figure out the life's greatest questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true. I mean you are really wandering in that Inland Empire desert out there without me and the Dodgers. You need you need to. We'll get you an uber to come back to the big leagues, Joe to Dodgers Stadium. I'll get you some tickets. I could get tickets for you, I know the Ducks. Yeah, I could pull some strings for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, are they gonna be like you know, Doug out Club.
Speaker 1: They're gonna be where your mural is up there on the reserve level. So you could be close to your mural.
Speaker 2: See that se No, see, I don't want any part of that.
Speaker 1: Why not you could take it, be like a meet and greet on the reserve level with you.
Speaker 2: I'd like to be close enough to see the players, you know, have a little bit of sweat on their face or or you know, try to try to see if the pictures tipping here and there on the other team. You can wear your brand too far away from the game that away. I spent plenty of years being that far away from from the action, sitting out there in the bullpen. So you know, now now as a non player, I'd like to actually be closer down to the field level, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: You know, the greatest thing would be if we surprise your old teammates with you sitting in one of those seats that hangs over the Dodger bullpen, you just being there staring at God.
Speaker 2: That would be amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to make that happen. We will, all right. Well, you know, I know you're still trying to figure out to do with your life. So good luck with your life, and if you need me, we could do a show together twelve to three. You know, I feel like Rogan and Rodney might be might be retiring, so so it might be time for Mariachi. Joe.
Speaker 2: The twelve to three spot is a good time for me, you know what I mean? Does that fiture Rodney? They're great, but it's time for some new faces.
Speaker 1: You never know ooh, I know, I know you never know where Joe Kelly could be. I mean he has connections with the Ontario team, with the Ducks. I mean those are the premier franchises in LA.
Speaker 2: I mean I mean in Orange County and Inland Empire. But yeah, I know what you mean.
Speaker 1: Hey, Joe, I know everybody loves hearing your voice. Let's do this more often and thank you for taking the time. I really appreciate it. And we'll see whether or not the Lakers hold onto this series and then we could talk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go Lakers. Thanks TV.
Speaker 1: There he goes Joe Kelly. He has put Rogan and Rodney on notice. He wants twelve to three. He's coming for you.