Speaker 1: That Jay Webber Podcast is presented by Creative Planning, helping clients simplify their journey to financial wellness, one personalized plan at a time. That Jay Weber Podcast is a production of iHeartRadio Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Good Day, Come on in, take us dat, Welcome to the JA Podcast. We have a lot to talk about today, including for the first time in either term, President Trump decigning to attend the annual White House Correspondence Dinner this weekend. And I can only think of one reason why that he'd be at all interested in doing this. Gregory John, my producer, is here. Greg Are you thinking this is going to be appointment television this weekend? Would you make it a point to tune in to watch any fireworks that might occur?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, to be honest with you, the Fox News is actually going to be doing like an Academy Awards kind of introduction to the Correspondence dinner. They're gonna have a red carpet and everything, and Jesse Waters is going to be the host. So I guess they're going to make it a musty TV event for all of us.
Speaker 2: I guess so about everyone's in DC and New York are wondering why Donald Trump would even just now choose to waste time with this. He is never going to get this group of people to like him or treat him fairly these correspondences, Why go, Greg, give me a prediction on what path Trump will take in his speech. Is he going to poke fun at himself and try to win the crowd over by being self deprecating or do you think is just going to go full blast at him and show up just to call them most scumbags and liars.
Speaker 1: Now the second one I would love.
Speaker 2: I would love to see that just either way, it should be an interesting night and I might tune in just to see if that room of so called journalists sitting in front of him can manage to act like adults. That's in addition to Trump going into the lions Den, we'll talk about Sean Duffy doing the work when it comes to finally improving an air traffic control system that every administration since Reagan promised to fix. Trump and Duffy are getting it done. We'll talk about the various ways that Virginia's new congressional map is an insult to the Republic and how if the Virginia Supreme Court allows this to stand, it's going to be remarkable and folks finally holding three or four congressmen accountable for their criminal actions. It's a positive thing, but it's not what a purge of a Congress that's full of rats and grifters. To call this a purge is interesting to me. All that and more coming up after I tell you about my superior sponsor, Creative Planning. They're one of the nation's largest independent wealth management firms, offering fully integrated financial and retirement planning, investment management, estate planning, tax strategies, business services, and international wealth management, all in house and coordinated through your wealth manager. Their fiduciary wealth managers are here to help you navigate every piece of your financial life. Visit Creative Planning dot com to schedule your introductory meeting. That's Creative Planning dot com. Your team awaits paid for by Creative Planning and sec registered investment advisor. The speaker's statements are not an endorsement of the firm. So the White House Correspondents Dinner is this weekend and for the first time as President Donald Trump is attending. Oh boy, this should be a proper shizz show, shouldn't it. For the life of me. I don't know why Donald Trump's going. I could take a few guesses. One is that even after everything that has transpired over the last ten years, Donald Trump the man, I think, still wants to be adored and loved by these countries, rich and famous, an elite class. He's always been one of those people. After all, This is something that Donald Trump the man has always been into. Being adored in elite circles on both coasts has always been something that Donald Trump has craved and something that has motivated him. You know, the number of famous people from entertainment, from pro sports, etc. Who filed through Trump Tower when Donald Trump was simply a billionaire businessman is legendary. Trump wanted to meet everyone famous and personally shake their hand and sit down and get to know more about them. He's inherently a people person. But it's why before he was politically controversial, you had everyone from you know, Mike Tyson to Jay Z and Beyonce to Magic Johnson to Justin bieber All saying, you know, Trump's a friend, Trump's cool. So my guess in terms of what motivates Donald Trump to even agree to go to this dinner tomorrow is that even after everything that's transpired and all the hatred that DC in New York and the LA crowds have tossed at him, he still wants to be seen as cool to them. Trump's still wants to be in that in crowd when it comes to US and global elites. That's my guess. My guess is he certainly wants to rejoin those circles post presidency too, and so that's why he's making what's likely a terrible decision to go to this nerd prom banquet tomorrow night. The chance that Trump is going to be simply savaged and lectured to by a bunch of activist America haters who simply pose as journalists is a high one, and any chance of Trump emerging from this more liked or more likable in this crowd is nearly zero. The President should continue to skip this and anyone still associated with the White House Press Corps should be pushing to end this annual dinner altogether because it has always been a biased, ridiculous affair. It has always been so called journalists making themselves the story and injecting themselves into politics and the current events of the day. When they're supposed to be impartial observers. They're not supposed to do that. But in this era, this dinner's really a joke, and it's simply a night for left wing activists to get together and celebrate the power that they derive from routinely life to the American people. And by the way, the average member of the DC or New York media elite really really doesn't like to be challenged. This is a group of people that has genuinely convinced themselves they are the truth seekers and the truth tellers. They are the social conscience of this nation. They're the intellectual elite of the nation. And so they hate nothing more. I mean, they react very negatively when someone challenges them or they're standing And so this crowd in particular has a burning hatred for Donald Trump and for anyone who would dare to work for him. Just consider how many of Trump's appointees and cabinet secretaries are under constant fire from the mainstream news media simply because they dared to take the job. This is both in their personal lives and in their professional lives. Pam Bondi, Cash, Betel, Sean Duffy, Janine piro Brett, Kavanaugh, Name a Trump appointee, and I'll show you someone who's under relentless assault from these so called fair news outlets, whose members are trying to destroy both their personal and their professional lives because they dared to work for Trump, knowing Trump, working for Trump, liking Trump. It's enough to sick these rabid DC in New York media dogs on you. And why would Trump himself even want to go to attend this dinner or in any way legitimize that. Why legitimize anything that these jackals do or say. I just don't understand it. Hopefully Trump can get off a few good singers and get a bunch of press attention on Sunday and Monday of the sort that they think is working to trash Trump. It's really the sort that backfires on the mainstream media and is boosting Trump with the average American. Trump knows that the real effect of these waves of negative coverage is often a boost to him and his standing amongst the average American people and away from the coasts. So maybe that's what Trump is angling for here. Also, now that he no longer has worries about being reelected, I think there's a very good chance that Trump's speech is one in which he simply calls them all liars to their faces and just levels them. You've got to think that he's going to include at least some of that in any speech he gives. Then there's this wild card. I mean, we aren't sure how the members of the White House Press Association are actually going to react to this call for them to quote forcefully demonstrate opposition to President Trump during this event. This call came from a group of journalists. You might have seen this. A group of over two hundred and fifty so called journalists put out a public letter urging the attendees to trash in smear Trump in every way they can put up a public stink and a public opposition to Trump accepting the inviter or something. Well, first of all, it would really reflect poorly on the so called unbiased White House Press Association if they invited a guest to their party and then just trashed and belittled and embarrassed that person for two hours. That's not what the organizers of a reputable association would do to their guests, any sort of group or association, much less quote professional journalists. This is what you really have to consider it this is allegedly a news organization. They're allegedly journalists. You can't call yourself a journalist and then engage in this sort of angry activism. This letter, in its suggestion, should be absurd to anyone who actually considered themselves a journalist. The sad thing is, in this era and in this moment, virtually no one who shows up to this dinner is going to be a genuine journalist. After all. This is the crowd of people who, on a daily basis, are refusing, simply refusing to report on any news orround any sort of story on the very real and consequential wins that Trump and his team are racking up for this country. I keep giving you new examples of these things because so many very positive developments are being ignored by the news media. These are all stories that news outlets would have routinely covered and reported on in any other era because they were simply good news. They were things that would get would bring readership, would inform the public, not in this era. Just a couple of examples this week, do you know that homicides are down seventy five to eighty percent in Washington, d C. Since Trump cracked down on crime in that district. There are a couple of different measures of this, so that's why it's somewhere between seventy five and eighty percent if you believe the stats. There have only been twenty murders total in Washington, d C. Since the first of the year. I'll say that again because some of you realize how remarkable this is. There've only been twenty murders total in washing Hington, d C. Since the first of the year, when that city was a famous killing field until Trump took over, Including during the Biden era, Washington d C is on pace to have about forty five murders this year, and that would be down from two hundred and seventy four in twenty twenty four, the final year of the Biden era. Carjackings in DC are also down by nearly fifty percent, Folks. Historians say this is the lowest murder rate in Washington, d C. Since nineteen hundred, Since the turn of the last century. That's roughly when Jack the Ripper was terrorizing the streets of London and street lamps were running on fossil fuels and whale oils. I think that might be newsworthy. Is Trump getting any credit for it. Now. Did any of you know about this until I told you about it?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Probably not many. One pundit pointed out on social media that the Washington Post, this is the newspaper of record in Washington, d C, hasn't written a single story about DC's murder rates since February first. The liberal activists at the Post didn't want their Washington d C readers to know that overall crime murder is down significantly since Trump took action. Why. I think you can answer that one for yourselves. Here's another great example of some positive changes being made by the Trump team that are quite significant and yet not being reported on because it might make Trump and Republicans look good. Most people don't realize that for probably three decades, we've been told by our FAA, our pilots, our air traffic controllers, etc. We desperately need to upgrade our air traffic control system. It's been at least thirty years now that the insiders in Washington, d C and the insiders of the Federal Aviation Administration have been calling this a dangerous situation. It went from dangerous situation in the eighties to crisis now. Something needs to be done, and every administration since Reagan has insisted they'll do something about it. Oh, yes, very important, will improve our ancient and embarrassing air traffic control equipment, et cetera. It's got to be done. It's got to be done. It's never been done. Why because it would take hard, thankless work. That's why it would take a lot of taxpayer money and someone who actually do the hard work. At the same time, that hard work isn't going to bring any particular political glory or attention to the administration that does it. Leading today is way too intertwined with just political considerations and whether or not you get credit for it. And as we've seen over and over and over again, if something isn't politically popular or doesn't come with some big political payoff at the end these days, why do it? No one does it. This is perceived as having no upside to your average elected official or politician. It's simply true that it has been almost exclusively Republican presidents and governors who have done the hard work of actually making the tough calls in this country, improving infrastructures, tackling difficult tasks, etc. In this modern era, it's simply true, that has mostly been to the Republicans to do because Democrats aren't serious people and largely want to play games. This has simply been the case for at least three or four decades.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: If it's not cheap and easy with a political payoff, the Democrats aren't going to do it. Dealing with that toxic train derailment sounded hard and fraught with political risks, so you know, Joe Biden and Pete booda judge, simply decided they weren't going to do anything. Dealing with the Gulf oil spill in the Obama era sounded hard and thankless, it was difficult, so Barack Obama and his White House simply didn't do anything about it. We'll just leave that up to the Republican governors and then take some credit after it's done. Today's Democrats simply refuse to do the hard work, the actual work of running and maintaining this country and its infrastructures. But they'll be sure that if Republicans decide to do it, there will be a bike lane or expensive public art somewhere in that project. It's just pathetic, and there's no better example of this than Pete Booha Judge's categorical malfeasans and disinterest in running the Transportation Department. You know, this little dip wat is out there again making speeches because as Cleary wants to run it. In twenty twenty eight, he accepted a cabinet level position from Joe Biden in order to drop out of that race and clear the way for Byid's domination. And then he decided this was just going to be a four year vacation, put a Judge plotted in another run for president in twenty twenty eight, and didn't do anything between twenty twenty and twenty twenty four. This guy was as absent as aoc on acid when it came to doing anything related to that job. And it's one reason that Sean Duffy's tenure as Transportation Secretary has been so impressive, but only one reason. It is not inaccurate to say that Sean Duffy is better than the last fifteen transportation secretaries because he actually took the job to do the job. It wasn't just some title handed to him for political patronage. But I'm wandering, what's the story that the leftist media won't tell you today that less than a year into Duffy's overhaul of our air traffic control system, were already nearly half done. The way it sounds, and again, you'd think this would be newsworthy only the Washington Times, I've only seen this in DC's conservative newspaper. I say. Thousands of outdated telecommunications equipment like radio and phones are being swapped out for brand new models. Hundreds of radars are being upgraded. The vapor flight strips that were used by air traffic controllers to guide flights are getting ditched for new electronic ones, all accessible to on one computer screen now. They say, as of this month, nearly fifty percent of the old copper wires that powered the communications between air traffic controllers and pilots has also been replaced with new high speed fiber optic cables. This is great proof that all it takes is some actual effort and focus to get many of these long standing issues fixed. It takes a priority from the important people and those controlling the purse strings. Donald Trump is proving that all it takes to combat high crime as an honest attempt to stop it. Sean Duffy is proving that Pete Booha Judge in the last ten transportation secretaries were clowns who just didn't want to deal with this air traffic control issue. Duffy might have it fixed by Christmas. The way this is going I exaggerate, but quote the Transportation Secretary has pledged that the changes will be completed by twenty twenty eight, thanks to the twelve point five billion dollars approved for the modernization in President Trump's One Big, Beautiful Bill. They say the system has basically been held together with shoestring and duct tape. This is according to Chris Sununu, who is now serving as the CEO of the Trade Association for Airlines for America. But Sean Duffy says it was the DC aircrash that had President Trump saying, look enough of this, fixed this problem. And for all the faults you want to ascribe to Donald Trump, he is a fixer, he is a doer, he is a builder. Duffy says, what we realized was that we used an incredibly old, antiquated system of technology from the sixties, seventies, eighties, and nineties. This is a huge task now because it's been ignored for thirty years. The scale of the work that's facing Duffy and his people. The scale of the work that needs to be done just to switch out equipment and make the modern day upgrades is massive, and it's largely thankless work. Of course, this is going to be a wonderful gift that has been given to the American people finally after twenty five or thirty years of delays. But the twenty twenty eight Republican nominee isn't going to get national credit for finally making the system safe after three decades. And I mean not even if it's Jdvans or Marco Rubio that's on the ticket. They'll lay claim to it as a victory, but voters will largely shrug their shoulders. Ey eh, we expect, say air travel. We didn't see any of the hard work being done, so it's not going to move voters. We should be heaping special praise onto people, departments, presidents, lawmakers who are going out of their way to actually do something, do the work fix our problems instead of just bloviating about them. But first, the average voter in the American people need to know about those fixes, know who is working hard and doing the work. The American people need to hear about the hard work that's being done and the genuine win that results from it. And there's no blasted way that today's leftist news media is going to tell the American people about any of Trump team's wins, right, not if they can help it. That's the sort of so called fair and balanced news media that we're dealing with today, my friends. I'm not convinced that this big redistricting cheat by the Democrats in Virgini is a done deal. A lower court already halted it temporarily, of course, and the state Supreme Court in Virginia is going to have to ultimately determine if this very unfair and extremely gerrymannered map ever gets put into play. We'll get into the unique setup of Virginia Supreme Court and why it's hard to predict how it's going to rule on this. But even realizing that in this era, even court politics is a rumble, my take is if the Virginia Supreme Court doesn't reject this map, it's going to be a major embarrassment for the justices on that court and a blatant a front to the republic and any sort of rule of order when it comes to parliamentary procedures. And I know everything is hardball politics right now, and nowhere have the leftists been playing harder ball than in states like Virginia. I get it. But if most of the justices on the Virginia Supreme Court have even a modicum of dignity or integrity, if they even have a sense of fairness and justice, well they can't approve this map. Everyone in the country, and on both sides the Isle knows that this is a blatant attempt to and no liberals listening. No, this is not like what was going on in Texas or Florida. Those adjustments to the political maps in those states that were pushed by Republicans still left congressional representation that was largely proportional for that state. The Democrat voters in Texas and Florida are still represented in Congress in some way. This map in Virginia wipes out virtually all voter representation for anyone who didn't vote Democrat in that state. Now, this is the situation, by the way, when it comes to all of the New England states, those all seem to have no Republican representation at all, even though those New England states vote about forty percent Republican. This map in Virginia that wipes out virtually all voter representation for anyone who didn't vote Democrat in that state. And it's crazy. This change takes a district map that had six Democrat districts and five Republican districts and pretty accurately represented the voting percentages in the state of Virginia and turns it into a map in which there will be nine districts controlled by Democrats and only one by Republicans. And I don't care which side of the al you're on or which parties kool aid you're drinking, no one can claim this is a map that is anything close to fair or representational. That's one reason that I believe the majority of Virginia's Supreme Court justices might reject it, because if they don't, they just look like scumbags and idiots. It's a pretty good incentive for the average judge to do the right thing and reject the extremes. Moreover, how can the left wing lawyers who are trying to defend this possibly argue this is fair or constitutional? And when I say constitutional, I mean representative of the voters of Virginia. I know the next step is the state Supreme Court there in Virginia, but I'd also be surprised if conservative and good government groups don't find arguments to challenge this map in federal court and put it on the fast track to the US Supreme Court. Some showdown over this as long overdue. We have states like Oregon that have conservatives in their states so frustrated they want to break away and secede and join Utah. I think every effort should be made by conservative activist groups to get some sort of challenge based on this Virginia map to the Supreme Court. In the federal court system, I know the U. S. Supreme Court has been very, very reluctant to get involved in these state maps, but we now have something like seven to nine states that are Democrat controlled. They'd either have zero Republican congressmen or only one being sent to Washington, despite the fact that the voting patterns of their states are far far more balanced, such as Massachusetts. Massachusetts votes about forty percent Republican, they don't have one Republican representative in Congress. The Federal Supreme Court has already heard at least one argument related to fair maps recently, and we're awaiting that decision. That case in front of them would weaken some of the rigged rules in the so called Voting Rights Act if they rule as expected, and it could lead to another round of national redistricting. So we certainly haven't seen the final round of this fight over maps in the states and nationally. But I say, bring on more litigation and get it in front of this conservative US Supreme Court. I think conservative legal activists should use this Virginia outrage as a springboard to challenge the very notion that one party, either party, can just freeze out the other one and pretend their state is sending a quote representative government to Washington, d C. From that state. I mean, the Democrats in Virginia went into this knowing how much they're cheating and how blatant it looks. We know this because as part of the language that they used in the legislation and on the referendum, they added a clause that says this map would only be in effect until the next census, which is in twenty thirty. Well, of course that would be the case. That's when every state needs to redo and rejigger their federal congressional maps. It's by law, but the Democrats in Virginia couldn't have made it more clear. We're cheating now, but we'll turn this process back over to our quote nonpartisan maps commission in twenty thirty. YEP, Virginia's estate in which the Democrats have convinced their voters to agree to a sham of a maps commission, only to then violate and ignore that system when it doesn't suit them. We're seeing Democrats do this all over the country in various blue states, including New York and California. And there's one reason why anyone in Wisconsin is stupid if they support Governor Evers's push for quote fair maps and a maps commission. Evers and Wisconsin Democrats have already ignored a different version of a nonpartisan map committee, and they cheated to redraw their own maps when they felt they could. They exposed again what a sham these maps commissions are. First of all, they aren't really nonpartisan. But second, if the Democrats are just going to ignore them anytime they see an opening to cheat, why have them why pretend? Seriously, why do New York, California, or Virginia even have quote nonpartisan maps commissions? If the Democrats are just going to ignore them and cheat every time they feel the need or see an opening. This has been the case now in both California and Virginia just over the last few months. Virginia is a split state that leans blue. It has been for quite some time, so the current map shows split representation in Congress. Quite fair. Actually, six Democrats and five Republicans are sent to the House of Representatives from that state currently, but through force Virginia Democrats get to rig this falls elections to give them a nine to one congressional delegation. Come on, there's in a single Supreme court in the country that if they had honest justices sitting on it, would find that fair, reasonable, or representative. In fact, John Fund at the National Review has at least four legitimate legal avenues on which Republicans can challenge this move in Virginia. The first is he says the legislature violated the state's constitution by keeping a special session open for nearly two years, and that's a move that a local judge who heard the case already has labeled a blatant abuse of power. Second avenue of challenge Virginia law requires that constitutional amendments be passed at least ninety days before any election in which the people ratify it. Lower courts had initially blocked this redistricting process on those grounds, so that's a procedural argument. The third argument would be the jerrymander improperly tossed out the work of the twenty twenty voter approved Bipartisan Redistricting Commission. They tossed it out right in the middle of the decade song based on that, and then the fourth potential challenge, the language on the ballot was blatantly biased in claiming that the referendum's goal was to quote restore fairness in upcoming elections that presupposed that the bipartisan commission map was unfair. All of those are legitimate avenues of challenge, and I think you notice that they don't really have anything to do with gerrymandering or challenging what a jery mander is, etc. There are ways to stop this without getting into big constitutional arguments, but I think a path that challenges this on federal and state constitutional grounds based on the definition of a representative government is also a pretty interesting way to approach this. And I'm not a legal mind, but we have great legal minds that might be able to find some way to argue this larger question. And in a federal court, I think any federal lawsuit like that could be a game changer. Given that we finally have a conservative leaning Supreme Court with justices on it. This seemed determined to correct the terrible constitutional drift that this country has been on for decades. I think a court that has shot down Roe v. Wade and killed off the Chevron doctrine is a court that might just step in and say, look, a state map has to at least be somewhat fair when it comes to representing the voting patterns of that state. If we on the right got a ruling like that, nationally, Democrats might lose two or three dozen House seats in the more honest redo of these maps. So how does this play out at Virginia's Supreme Court? Well, experts in DC and Virginia seem to agree it's hard to predict. And it is because Virginia's a state in which the legislature actually appoints the Supreme Court justices, not the voters. And currently this Virginia Supreme Court is said to be small sea conservative as in the judicial Conservatives might have a slight advantage on this court quote. Virginia is one of only two states where the legislature elects the Supreme Court justices. Because the state has had divided control from much of the past quarter century, the balance of the Court's justices were appointed by bipartisan compromise. The court's current seven members include one justice who was elected when Democrats had sole control of the General Assembly, three when Republicans controlled both chambers, and three when control of the legislature was split. And so if that's the case, this isn't a court full of members who are going to want to rush to get this new map into effect before the fall election, which is what Democrats wanted to do. It also doesn't sound like a court full of justices who are just going to ignore the fact that Virginia's legislature and governor broke all sorts of procedural rules in order to ram this map into place. I don't see how any split court or any group of justices that's even trying to be fair or trying to get a ruling right agrees to let this map be put into play. And despite the result of the referendum, this week. There's no way to honestly say that this is what the people of Virginia want either. The National Democrats and activists spent a massive amount of money tricking the voters of Virginia. They spent eighty one million dollars in one amounted to a sprint to trick Virginia's voters into thinking that this was about fair maps those on the ground in Virginia. The misinformation campaign that the leftist pulled off here was shameful, impressive, but shameful. This was a very slanted, shameless, ugly affair. And still the left only managed to win this referendum question by three points. They spent two years trying to trick and steamroll Virginia voters and they still only narrowly pulled it off with a sprint of eighty one million dollars worth of spending. And yeah, I understand that this is a constitutional amendment that the voters of Virginia have now passed and only the win matters, and the Supreme Court can't and won't overturn the will of the people, et cetera. But this process and the Left's dishonesty and duplicity and engineering this result can be challenged in court and will be. It's the reason to believe that whatever happens, this outrageous map of the Virginia voters just approved will not be in play this fall and may not ever come into play. It's something I would caution listeners about that most of the media outlets aren't going to tell you. The chances of this map approved this week actually being put into place for fall or even in twenty twenty eight seems slim to me, So don't lose too much sleep over it yet. And hey, you know, there's going to be all sorts of court related drama over the next few years that's going to be fun to watch, and this is just one of them. Florida is going to try to redo its maps apparently, and there too. I don't think they even have the time. I don't think Ron de Santis in Republicans in Florida even have the time to redraw a map, get it approved, get it through a court process. I don't know that late entry maps like this one in Virginia or one that's still coming in Florida are even going to be coming into play and fall, just to the legal challenges, But we do have all sorts of matters related to the federal courts that are popping up that are pretty interesting. You've probably seen that the insider jockeying is now underway to get at least one of these two older Supreme Court justices to retire and before January, so that the President can replace them with someone younger and help cement this conservative majority for a decade or two. Right now we have a six to three conservative advantage. But Clarence Thomas, Semilie and John Roberts are all in their seventies. Clarence Thomas has been on the Court the longest, thirty four years. Now. My god, a lot of us in this audience can remember Clarence Thomas's Senate confirmation hearings in which Joe Biden and Teddy Kennedy and that era's Democrats showed a blatant racism and just a venom toward Clarence Thomas because he dared to be a black Conservative. Doesn't seem like that was almost thirty five years ago, but it was so. Clarence Thomas is seventy seven, He's been on the court thirty four years, and he has apparently told friends off and on for a few years that you know, maybe he should retire and travel the country in his RV. And all that has added up to rumors and attempts in Washington, d C. To push Clarence Thomas out while a Republican president is in control, and while the Republicans control the confirmation process in the Senate, too. Political strategist would love to see Thomas agree to retire now to ensure that that seat remains in conservative hands for another two or three decades. But as of last year, Clarence Thomas was talking as if he wants to remain in the court. That has the same strategist pivoting over to sam Alito. Over the last several months, you've probably seen some of this. Will sam Alito retire, he's seventy six, maybe we can push him out. Well, Alito just sent clear signals that he intends to stick around. He's hired new staffers for the next term, et cetera. And so conservative legal groups are wondering if they should start a public pressure campaign against Aledo to try to shove him out. That seems unlikely to me. I just don't think sam Alito would respond well to some attempt to shove him out. And I hope you see the urgency here from the insider's perspective, maybe I should have started with that. Most of you get it. The Senate confirms a presidential nominee to the Supreme Court, and so you want your party in control of the White House when a Supreme Court vacancy opens up, because then your president's going to pick the successor. But then you also want your party to control the Senate so they can control the nomination process and shuttle the presidential pick through and so that they and the president can put the most conservator or most liberal non in place. Correct. If the Senate is in the other party's control, well, then any president needs to nominate a more moderate judge because they need someone who was going to survive the confirmation process when the members of the other party control the Senate need to approve of the person. Most of you get this. But with the potential for the Democrats to retake control of the Senate this fall, you see that the window on a super Supreme Court pick from Trump could be closing. This is what the activists are worried about. He still has three more years of his presidency. Sure, and Sam Alido and Clarence Thomas still have a three year window in which a Republican president would appoint their successor if they do want to retire soon. But the Senate that needs to approve the Trump pick might only be under Republican control for another nine months. Hence this flory of attention to sam Alito. Now you might have also seen that Molly Hemingway of The Federalist told Megan Kelly this week she's hearing rumors John Roberts might retire. He might be the unexpected wild card here. She's saying. Roberts was a pointed by George Bush. He's had a good long run as Chief Justice, but he's only seventy one, and as of last year, John Roberts was claiming he was never retiring from the court. Just about ten months ago, John Roberts joked that they'd have to carry him out feet first, as in, they'll carry my corpse out of here. So I doubt that John Roberts retires. There's always a chance that some secret illness or changes in their personal lives might have a federal judge with a lifetime appointment deciding to retire early. But short of something like that I'd be shocked if John Roberts retires. That's said, it'd be great if he did. Listeners to my longtime radio show know that I never liked Roberts or his approach to his job as Chief Justice. Roberts has spent two decades trying not to have this court decide the biggest constitutional issues of our day and not make precedent setting rulings that would actually clear up the question in front of them. Drives me crazy. I found that irksome beyond belief. Roberts is a judicial dud, and if Trump had a chance to replace him, that'd be huge. That would be huge. Now, the caveat over all of this is that the Republicans should should keep control of the Senate after this fall elections. They should. They have a fifty three seat majority, and the Democrats would have to win at least a few Senate races that they aren't expected to win in order to see control of the Senate flip. But you never know if it's a Democrat wave election because Trump started a war in Iran and it as Americans upset that gas and grocery prices are higher again, etc. Well, there's at least a chance Republicans could lose control of this nomination process. That's where this nervousness over any Supreme Court opening comes in. I hope you understand it more fully now. My prediction would be Thomas, Alito and Roberts all stick with it for now, but either Thomas Alito or both bail before Trump leaves office. There will be heavy outside pressure from right wing political forces for them to do so. Whether that moves them, we'll see. I'm certain that both men want to see their legacy in their seat on the Court continue to be in conservative hands, though, and so I think one, maybe even both will leave before Trump leaves office. So when President Trump and Pete Hegsith were droning all of those drug boats off of the South American coast, some of you were worried about all the fish and marine life that was going to be coming into contact with all that cocaine that our drone strikes were dumping into the ocean. Oh, but what's going to happen to the fishes? People were asking, Well, we have our answer, Well, we at least have an answer. Research conducted by two universities in some joint venture found that salmon on cocaine swim twice as far as normal salmon. I'm not sure how they got these fish to do a line of blow, but we have our answer. The story says, salmon exposed to cocaine in the water swim longer distances than those that go without. According to a study release this week, joint research by Australia's Griffith University and the Swedish University of Egg Sciences studied how the drug affected the movements of wild fish in their natural habitat. Researchers took one hundred and five wild Atlantic salmon and exposed them to coke and then track their movements. They found the salmon exposed to the drugs traveled one point nine times further per week than their clean living cousins. As they put it, the researchers said, we're finding higher and higher concentrations of not just illicit drugs, but all types of pharmaceuticals in our waterways, and they've worn the pollution of waters by common drugs is now posing a major and escalating risk to our biodiversity.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 2: Our study shows that drugs are not only a societal issue but also a concrete environmental challenge. So there you go. This comes after a study on sharks in the Bahamas that found that they're being exposed to everything from cocaine, to caffeine to painkillers. It opens up a whole new avenue of research. I think, are we seeing more shark attacks because that we've created cocaine sharks. I'm kidding, of course, but I'm guessing we're just about a year or two away from some ecozlic group insisting that that's what's happening. And as long as we're talking about cocaine, let's talk about Congress. That's a great transition. I'm getting a kick out of the cleanup that we are told is going on in Congress because three scummy House members have been forced to quit over the last three weeks or so. This of course, started with the Democrats engaging in a campaign to explode Eric Swalwell's run for California governor, and unfortunately for them, it meant that he had to be shoved out of Congress too. They would have liked to have kept his vote, but they really couldn't. He had to go if they were going to pretend to be upset about the decades long womanizing that he was famous for in DC. He had to resign from Congress too, so he resigned. Then it was a Republican, Tony Gonzalez of Texas, who had his own sexual misconduct scandal going on. He resigned. And then this week it was another Democrat, a black woman from Florida named Sheila McCormick. And I admit she's hyphenated, but I stumble over her maiden name, sher phyllis surefulless, we'll just call her Bocephus. So then there's the third resignation, Sheila Bosephus McCormick. So in a chamber of four hundred and thirty five members, three people actually are being called out for their scumbaggery. And apparently this is a house cleaning. It only is to longtime elitists who have set up a system over two hundred and fifty years that ensures that they will never really be held accountable for their own actions, of your own criminality. Only by that measure. Is this any sort of ethical house cleaning going on in Congress? Good grief, But bosiphas here didn't resign due to a sex scandal. Hers was a good old fashioned theft and ethical misconduct scandal. She was charged with stealing nearly five million dollars in FEMA funds and pled not guilty to that in criminal court. But she was going to be expelled from the House if she hadn't resigned first. McCormick said in a statement, rather than play these political games, I choose to step away so that I can devote my time to fighting for my neighbors in Florida's twentieth District. I hereby resign from the one hundred and nineteenth Congress, effective immediately. By the way, Love, the resignation statement makes no sense whatsoever, proves she's a moron. Sheila said she's going to resign from Congress so that she can focus on better representing her constituents in Congress. What it's like saying you're going to go on an all cake diet in order to lose weight. But McCormick resigned literally minutes before the head of the Ethics Committee convened to hearing in order to release the final results of their investigation into her activity, and that investigation found McCormick was in fact guilty of at least twenty five different ethical and criminal counts against her quote. Investigators found substantial evidence of conduct consistent with the allegations and the indictment, as well as more extensive misconduct. Yeah, Sheila McCormick is a real peach. She's only been in Congress for about three years, but the rap sheet of offenses and crimes that she racked up here is incredible. She's actually been criminally charged for dozens of real crimes in addition to the House Ethical investigation and the findings that pushed her out of Congress. This woman's going to prison regardless of what Congress has done. She stole from FEMA, She clearly stole from her own campaign and filed false and inaccurate campaign statements. That's a crime, and this is across numerous election cycles. The investigators say she's charged with falsifying paperwork on loans, accepting bribes, lying about her campaign finances, spending all sorts of tax payer money on quote luxury goods like jewelry and designer clothing. HeLa McCormick is the sort of person who never intended to do this job honestly or properly. You have to put yourself in her mindset when she ran for Congress. In one when you look at the timeline and the charges against her. McCormick was a slippery grifter right from the start, from the moment she ran from Congress, and in the three short years she's been in Congress, she's pulled off every dishonest and illegal stunt she could think up. Apparently during that time. Here's a fun twist. Sheila McCormick one office in a special election in Florida to replace longtime scumbag Elsie Hastings. Hastings was a decades long congressman from Florida who was also among the most famous sexual predators in scumbags in Washington, d C. Hastings was Eric Swallall before Swalwell was ever born. So the people in that district in Florida traded one scumbag criminal for another when they went from Hastings to McCormick. I'll say one other thing about Sheila McCormick resigning, and it comes from her criminal lawyer. I do think he's right. I'm not cutting Sheila any slack here because she did the crimes and you put herself in this situation. But I acknowledge the correctness of her lawyer's statement. McCormick's criminal lawyer says she had to resign from Congress because there was no way she was going to get a fair criminal trial after the United States House of Representatives officially declared her a criminal scumbag. He said, how can she possibly go into court and have a fair trial if her jurors have already heard that she was found guilty by the House of Representatives. It's an impossibility. So she was left with no choice but to resign. That's true, but it only means that she made a spark decision to resign because when she ran for Congress, she had to know that she would be living as a public figure and beholden to her constituents and held to an ethical standard. I mean, she had to know on day one. There are actually little seminars that they go through with new House members. So she had to know on day one the House had a process for investigating ethical and criminal violations. And so it isn't some great constitutional question as to whether her rights are going to be violated here. She set herself up for any such consequences when she ran for office in one one. I don't feel sorry for her in any way, but if you still do, here's the Kapper. Please understand that Sheila Bosephus McCormick doesn't appear to be a decent person in any way. She committed all of these crimes and all this misconduct, and she shows no remorse and only wants to portray herself as some sort of victim. And at that point, once you realize that, I think any normal person is going to say, well f her. Then meanwhile, this little flurry of scandals and resignations has Speaker Mike Johnson vowing to finally, finally adds some tougher rules of conduct on US House members. And it's long overdue, folks, This is two hundred and fifty years overdue, because as great as this country is, the people who both formed this Republic and those who have come to DC in the two hundred and fifty years since to represent Americans in Congress have spent all of this time protecting themselves from consequences and exempting themselves from accountability. The idea that we've had an ethical House and Senate policing themselves over the last two hundred fifty years is ridiculous. Heck, the idea that we've had an ethical House and Senate policing themselves over the last two decades is ridiculous. There is clearly so much corruption and grifting and scumbaggery and skullduggery going on in Washington, DC that you cannot possibly pretend our leaders in DC really care about it or want to stop it. There's a reason it's called the swamp. Consider that around this time last year, DOGE was uncovering decades long schemes in which lawmakers on both sides of the aisle, but mostly the Democrats, were kicking taxpayer money to all sorts of ridiculous and even fake outside groups and mngos just so they could set up their friends and relatives with dishonest, cushy incomes and funnel a bunch of that money back into their own campaigns. It's gone on for decades. These are the people who are supposed to view as honest or ethical. Come on, and whether it's sex scandals or taking bribes or whatever, it's clear that Washington, d C. Really is the swamp. It is clear that over two hundred and fifty years now, the people whom we as Americans have sent to Congress to represent us and rule us govern us mostly abandon their ethics and sense of integrity once they get there. And not all of them, not everyone, but way way too many of our longtime DC dwelling lawmakers have more interest in being exempted from the social mores, the ethics, the laws of our society than they have any interest in following them and are holding the members of their own chamber accountable. And it's why I'm getting such a kick out of this, this fake purge that's going on. This is being called a purge three congressmen who are obviously guilty of ethical and criminal violations. And yeah, it really is on both sides. I've seen a lot of claims on social media lately, as Eric Swollwell got shoved out, what Republicans never punish their predators and pedophiles? You know? Right now it's vogue on both sides of the aisle, but really on the left to smear everyone as a pedophile. This seems to be the twenty twenty sixth smear. Yeah, well, why aren't you pollutioning your own pedal files? That's what passes for a snappy retort. But the truth is neither side has been good at policing their own because if you think about it, if you hold members of your own party accountable, You're losing their vote in the Chamber. Right. The truth is neither side is very good or interested in really holding their own members accountable, and this list that Congress released earlier this week proves it. They released a list of House members investigated for sexual harassment over the last forty years, and they claim it was twenty eight people. Twenty eight members, fourteen Democrats and twelve Republicans. First of all, that number seems low, but you can see that being a sexually harassing creep is not exclusive to either party, and that both sides have had their scandals in general. Though from what I've seen in the forty years that I've been watching this, in general, Republicans have been significantly better at acknowledging the scumbags within their midst and actually doing something to punish them or push them out. Republicans did shove out George Santos and Matt Getz on their watch, by the way, those are just recent examples. Meanwhile, Nancy Pelosi and the Democrats protected Eric Swolwell and Elsie Hastings for decades. They ignored Barney Frank scandal altogether, etc. The truth is that sexual harassment claims on Capitol Hill are being filed quite routinely and by the dozens, and the American people never hear about them. We don't hear about the vast majority of them. And by the way, the same goes for scandals related to bribes and campaign finance abuse, etc. The vast majority of Congressmen who are called out for unethical behavior suffer no consequences, and the average voter never hears about it. So color me skeptical as House Speaker Mike Johnson now promises to tighten the sexual misconduct rules in that lower chamber. And you know, if I trust anyone on this, it would be Mike Johnson. Not only is he a religious man and committed to clean government, but he has two young daughters who are working as staffers on Capitol Hill. So I don't doubt that Mike Johnson will be serious about finally maybe making some decent changes. However, I highly doubt that the majority of the over four hundred members in his chamber are really going to vote in favor of placing tougher sexual harassment rules onto themselves and onto future congresses. These are bodies the House and Senate that have protected their own members vigorously over the last two hundred and fifty years. Mike Johnson said this week that he's taking suggestions from other lawmakers and ways to tighten these rules. Quote, I will lead that myself, he said. All Right, we'll see where it goes, but I won't be holding my breath.
Speaker 1: The Jayweber Podcast is a production of iHeartRadio podcasts, produced and engineered by Gregory john The Jayweber Podcast is presented by Creative Planning, helping clients simplify their journey to financial wellness, one personalized plan at a time. Listen to all of Jay Weber's podcasts, available on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite podcasts.