Speaker 1: Do you want to be in a Manican idiot?
Speaker 2: It's a Scott Flown show on seven hundred WLW. Our time is still compressed these days. Everybody and everything wants so much of us at all times. I don't care what kind of job you have, if you're a high flying CEO C suite type of person, Hell, you could be a guy dude driving to travel a gravel truck right and somewhere in between, high or lower, whatever it might be, whatever your station in life is, we all know that we are Our time has demanded so much and it just stretched so thinly, and how do we back off of that? I think that's a really valid question to ask, because it's too much. I'm doing way too many things I have, and I think a lot of us are wired to please, and so you don't want to tell people no, hey, can you do this? Can you do this? Can you? And you just add more and more and more on your plate and nothing goes away. How do you stop the madness? Julia Vincent Gambudo is here. Please don't subscribe. He is a master of saying no with something that most people are bad at. Welcome to the show. Are you?
Speaker 3: Thanks so much? Thank for having me. I'm good. I guessed that fatly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why are you saying yes to me? That would be the ultimate. It's like, hey, you want to get on and talk about you know, unsubscribed. No, I'm good, I've got too much, got too much going on, kind of self defeating. You pick the important stuff, and I think that's true though. We all have to. Man, I guess I need to do this in order to fulfill some sort of goal that I have, which would be to sell books. I appreciate that, and I appreciate taking time. I've come on, But so, yeah, why say, where do you draw a line of things? How do you how do you determine what's in and what's out? In some days? I think for most of us, it depends on how we feel at that exact moment in time. Do you catch me the right time? I might say yes, you catch me the wrong time, I'm probably going to say no.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And you know what, either way is okay, the kind of first the first and important part of saying no right is understanding that it's okay. We've all been really really conditioned, and souls are really sexy. Story, you know, in America, in the last twenty years that we've got to say yes right, say you know, Carpa diam say yes to the dress right like you know, yes is the answer to everything we've always wanted. And I think we live in a different time now right where your work constantly bombarded left, right and center with messages, with information, with things to process, not only just commitments and requests, but just you know, life is overwhelming, and so learning how to be savvy about saying.
Speaker 3: No really really really is important.
Speaker 4: But the first step really is to understand that you can say it right without without without sort of losing losing at all, which is I think the fear that we have.
Speaker 2: Well and the message bombarding it doesn't begin and end with it. But it's the mobile device. It's a text, it's something on social media, it's a direct message, it's an email, it's a call. It's we are bombarded NonStop with asks that large. Is the I think the tipping point for this conversation isn't it is? If we got rid of our mobile device and just didn't respond, we'd be in much better headspace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think it's really important, you know. I mean, these times, this technology, it calls for us to be you know, really really specific and intentional about how we use these devices. I mean, you know, the companies that sell them, they want us to use it in a certain way. And we've got to sort of wake up to the fact that that way is not serving us well. Right, being connected twenty four hours a day, being always on, being accessible, having no boundaries, right, these things are not serving us. They's not helping life be better, rich or deeper, more satisfying. And so, you know, from.
Speaker 3: A very very.
Speaker 4: Surface level logistically, right, we've got to make decisions about how we use these devices. My laptop is for this, my soulness for that. I'm gonna set some rules and parameters for myself.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, those are the things that have been eroded, and they've been eroded on professe, right, so that we just feel constantly connected and on. Uh and uh and and it's really kind of time in the in a large scale or in a large view here, uh, to just get some some clearer and clearer boundaries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let's talk about taking back our time. How do we set those boundaries? I It's easier said than done. And I think in particular, and and I'm generalizing here, of course maybe stereotyping, but it seems like women have much more difficulty men and saying no. They want to try to be everything to everybody. They don't want to disappoint if kids and husbands, spouses, or certainly their girlfriends and people at work, and so they try to do everything all the time. And there's plenty of guys that do that. Don't get me wrong, A lot of us do that. But generally you look at this and go, wow, that's that that hits women on the head. And I think that is why women feel so compromise these days. But all right, so how do I begin by saying no? How do you train someone to say no? Who's the programmed to say yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, it is a question of our time. I think that that all starts. It all starts on the surface, right, I think, and I like to look at all of this through the through the lens of a sort of three places that we can look at and target in our lives. One being the surface, right, all the screens, everything that we're touching all day long, our digital life.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Second being our social networks, both on and off, right, sort of learning to speak to them and defy some of the narratives that we have and that we share that somehow, you know, succept is being busy constantly and that you know, we we we sort of parent these beliefs around to one another all day long, right, and kind of learning to say, you know what, I don't believe that, I don't think that's true. I think I have to sort of create a different space for myself and for my family. And then that sort of third level which I talk about in my book really is sort of these underlying subscriptions. What does that mean? It just sort of means like the beliefs that we hold really really pearly, you know, about our identity and who we are. I you know, certainly before the pandemic, which was a really big turning point for me. I know we're all sick of talking about it, but you know this, it was sort of the genesis of my work. Was my life was just constant, right, It was just on the go all the time, always everywhere. And I can't speak to women specifically, but I can speak from my perspective, which is that you know, I was feeling like, oh my god, I have been trained to be this upwardly mobile, successful type a person. And I never stopped back to question any of it. So, you know, yes, absolutely, I think there are things we can do on the surface, but so much of this is about digging even deeper to understand, you know, why are why do we feel the need to people please, Why do we feel the need to always link success with being busy? Why do we feel the need constantly to be accessible to everyone or to not find the words to politely say, you know what, my time, attention, money, cash, all those things are super important to me and have to take precedence right now. And I don't necessarily mean it, you know, one to one with everyone, but I do mean when you look at the whole of life, right how can I be how can I be a little bit more selfish in how I spend my time and where I've put my focus, so anyway to be practical about it. One of the things that I you know, suggest people take a look at is not even necessarily you know, do this or do that, but take a step back and ask the question, you know, how can I slow this down? How can I put more structure in? And how can I make this more human? And I think those are the three things that have happened in the last ten and twenty years in our country because of all of this tech, because of how wired we are, we have sped it all up. We have taken the parameters and the boundaries away, and we've made it less human. And so, you know, from a just practical perspective, if we can stop in any given moment that's overwhelming to us and ask those questions, I think people you know, can find the answers that are specific to their lives and helpful to them by by sort of taking that break.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's Julia Vincent Gambudo on the show this morning. Please unsubscribe. Thanks taking back our time, attention and purpose and world designed to bury us and bs, which is largely true. It just we piled on pilot on pilod on. Although I just had this conversation with a buddy of mine and he's a guy gen X are like me and raised by parents and there and also grandparents too, where work was everything for man, Right, It's like, okay, you go when you work, you work your work, your work, you work all day, you work hard, you work smart, you make your money and then hopefully at the end you start to cash out and enjoy the fruits of your labor. I think that models change because we have seen and a lot of people are as older certainly would look at it and go, oh my god, nobody wants to work anymore. And I know it's partly true, and it looks and appears that way, but you know, look at it this way. When you were working when you were younger, Hey can we go and we're gonna want a family vacation. How much time did you spend working while on vacation because things were expected you at work or weekends or nights, or you may be distracted by different projects and things you had to get done. And so you know, kids absorbed that like a sponge and they say, all right, well, you know, we live a nice life. I guess relatively speaking, we always want more as a kid. But at the same time, you know, I saw what work has done to my parents. I saw the two thousand and eight housing collapse, what that did to a lot of people. We saw what happened during the pandemic and people losing their jobs, like and I think you're people look at that and said, you know, what, tomorrow is not given. I'm an enjoy life in the moment, at the moment right now.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Do they want nice things without putting that kind of effort in Absolutely, But you can choose to have you can choose to live that life where you're not consumed with work and not consumed with burning the mid not all and doing those things at previous generations, But you're probably not going to have as much at the end, So that is a choice that you will make. I respect that out of today said that they literally, hey, I'm going on vacation now. I'm not waiting until I'm in my sixties to travel. I think that's an awesome thing. But you're doing at the expense of future comfort, and that's a trade off you have to accept.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I think well, first, I think our generation I'm a sennial. I guess they call us these folks who were born, you know, late seventies, early eighties, and we're sort of sandwiched in the middle.
Speaker 3: We grew up.
Speaker 4: Without email and without tech, and then graduated college and suddenly all you know, so we went out into the professional world really on equipped, really uh to to understand what it's all meant and what it what it asks of us. But to your point, you know, I think this generation, the younger generation, is seeing these things, but they're also seeing that the mass doesn't add up, right and without without stoking a political fire, I mean, the truth is that you know, the numbers just do not support working at that kind of level. You know that that past generations did, right, We're we're seeing that we're getting less for our money. We're seeing that prices for even homes, right, which is like this major symbol of our financial and material success, right, that is a different proportion of our income. It is a much much larger buy in than it has ever been before. We're seeing that even the cost of vacations right, proportional to what people make per year, has gone up. So all those things, I mean, those are small examples, but there are plenty in a list as long of sort of where the math isn't masthing right.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I hate the fact by the way that older people in particular and maybe but you know, you can work hard to or three or four jobs, but that's not the same as it was when we were young, when you were when I was young, certainly, and for you and if you're older, if you know, in your sixties, seventies, eighties or whatever, it's a whole different dynamic.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: You could work, you know, four different full time jobs and still have a hard time servicing your debt. There's inflation. Inflation has got up and wages have not kept up. And we've seen the gap between GDP and wages just continue to grow further and further apart. It's a real deal. Don't be dismissive of younger people say, Man, I'm working, you know, I just I can't get ahead. Well, you need to work harder. Well, you know, if you're up there in age, yeah, maybe you worked hard, but your money went a lot fur than today. And we're not even talking about getting buried in college debt and stuff like that. And so I think that work is becoming less important to individual But I would say that work is the the business of the United States, the business of America's business, and that means people have to work. And so if you're not willing to do that at some point, are you going to do it less? And God bless you if you that's your choice, but you stand a high likelihood that AI is going to come in and fill that void.
Speaker 4: Well, I think now it is it is going to not only fill the void, it's going to blow the void to miery is here. And I think where we are, uh, you know, not necessarily completely emotionally prepared for what's about to happen, for the losses that we're going to see. Not to be doomsday about it, because I think there's there is a scenario where this can be helpful to humanity. This can be helpful to UH, to the economy, and also to our to our day to day. But we've got to have really, really much larger conversations and at the highest levels.
Speaker 3: Of power about how we use.
Speaker 4: AI in order to benefit the masses. Right and right now it's in the hands of a handful of corporations that are only going to use it for their specific gain and goal, and so it's it's really, you know, now is the time to be having a conversation, to be pushing back and to.
Speaker 3: Be speaking to power to say, hey, you.
Speaker 4: Know, while this is going to change humanity, how is everyone going to benefit?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: And I don't think everyone needs to necessarily. I'm not talking about you know, outright socialism. I'm talking about having conversations about how we fuel capitalism with things like AI. Right, this is world changing, This is life altering for all of humanity. And I think we've got to wake up to how significant a change is coming and start to really have serious conversations about how that gets spread out, right among among three hundred million people here in the US and obviously more across the world.
Speaker 3: But how do you bring that benefit?
Speaker 4: And I'm not an AI specialist, but the question to be asked is how do you bring that benefit to as many people as possible?
Speaker 2: Probably going to make things worse where it's like, oh, yeah, you know, look at the ads for everything. That's technologys just going to make your life so much either, No, it's not just going to make it more complex. I'll have more different things to do and more passwords to remember and crap like that. And I get why younger people are checking out. And maybe we've peaked at that too, because how much of this do you think we had a glimpse of life when COVID went on. I mean, we look back at COVID. It was a scary time. For sure, we didn't know where this thing was headed. But for a lot of people listening to the early days anyway, it was like, wait a minute, hold on a second, I can work from home. I can work remotely. I don't have that now if you lost your job obviously because of that's a different story or a riff. But for most people it's like, Okay, I can work from home. What does that look like? I'm in my pajamas and it's like, you know what, nothing that we're not going to go out and socialize because everything's closed. It's amazing how in just a few years we've gotten way far away from that we had to take of like slowing life down. But clearly those Americans we don't want that we've real returned to office is the thing. We've ramped it all up, and I think we exceeded where we were in twenty twenty before COVID really hit.
Speaker 4: I mean, so many of the numbers are bearing out that we are back with a vention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, you.
Speaker 3: Know, And I think part of that.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a lot of reasons you could point to for why we went back to normal, but one of the things I think that's really important is that we were committed to it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: We we had we had a thirty year mortgage, right, not a five or ten year or fifteen, Right, we had a we had jobs that all of it. I'm not ever saying that, you know, people don't have to go and work and make a living, but I do think that we went back very easily, and we went back sort of because the story was sold to us that you know, normal is normal is good, Normal.
Speaker 3: Is what we need in our lives.
Speaker 4: And we've got to get back to the over consumption and we've got to get back.
Speaker 3: To the go, go go and the run gun run, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think it just behooves all of us to kind of just remember that in those moments when the chips were down and things looked really dark, you know what was important to us? Right?
Speaker 3: What did we run to? Who are the people we turned to? What are the things that we did?
Speaker 4: I mean, there's no way to recreate that moment, and I wouldn't want to, but there was a great value in it, right, There was great value in sort of understanding like, oh wow, my life actually boiled down to.
Speaker 5: These ten fifteen people, like these.
Speaker 3: Few things that I love to do, these people that I love, this recipe that I like to make.
Speaker 4: Whatever it is right and tearying that forward can be a difficult process, but I think you know, the first step that sort of recognizing it, even writing it down, being really aware of kind of you know, what was it in that moment that I ran to that was valuable to me and meaningful for me? And how can I bring that forward in my life? But I think you're totally right at COVID with this weird exercise and anti socialism.
Speaker 2: Right guys, and we went we really don't want this or that's not expected of us anymore. It's it is fascinating. Please don't subscribe. Thanks. It's Julio Vincent Cambudo on the Scotts slun Show seven hundred WW taking back your time and attention and purpose in this world, in this crazy, crazy world. Thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 3: All the best, thanks for having me you well.
Speaker 2: Thanks man. News in just minutes here including the forecast as well. The stuff should be out of here and well next few minutes. Not already for you, but man, the wall of snow was no joke this morning, was it? Full details and the aftermath and minutes here on seven hundred WLWT. It's a Scott Sloan show on seven hundred WLW welcome to it. You know, if anything I try to be I don't know, consistent, Consistency's apartment and we lose it. We live in a world where we're very inconsistent. People are very inconsistent with what they believe, and they ascribe to one of you, and if anything challenges that, they hated or just simply ignored and go give you the yeah butt. It's like, look, if you're gonna you're gonna think what way, Here's what I stand for. And regardless of who else thinks that way. We had a political party, religion, whatever it might be, like, yeah, I like to call out bs. I'm just tired of being smoke blowing up. May you know what? So typically when we have weather events like we just experienced right now, which is a wall of snow, I would call out the TV climate terrorists for trying to scare us and work us up into a froth and lather about the fact that we've got some snow flags flying around. And in that regard, you know, it's not like this is Atlanta or Houston or Phoenix. You get snow there, that's a crisis, right, We're not prepared to deal with that. Sure, we saw what happened to wear an old miss right where they got the storm came in. The weren't prepared there. They would add plows. Here in Cincinnati, we get snow. It's not like this is Michigan. We get snow. Man, we're kind of used to. We got a little more snow this year than we have in years past. CBG. I think thirty six inches of snow. Normally they get fifteen or eighteen. It's like, okay, almost double. It's that's a bit of snow. But we deal. We deal. And so when they come on and you know, they're driving around in their cars and showing you the live view even though it's not snowing out, it's like what you're driving around showing me a live view of nothing. It's a road and you're driving like sixty five miles an hour, So it's not a problem. Or standing up by the salt dome with a ruler. So I said, I always turned, you know, pull the curtain back and turn the camera around on us because we are guilty here at this radio station, seven hundred W is long always made fun of climate terrorism. That for the first time I can remember, we are now turning that accusation, that sticky finger towards us. We're looking in the mirror going we are guilty of it. Here at the big one here is seven hundred WW matt Reese.
Speaker 6: Big snowflakes falling, no breeze, looks like a holiday movie set. You almost welcome snowfalls like this. They're friendly. A crunch underfoot here on my deck, but melts on the driveway. This is the way we live in Cincinnati. Yesterday it was a spring forward kind of a day with warmer weather today, back to winter, which comes to an end three weeks from tomorrow. Here on the west side, the ruler is out and it measures two inches of snow from Green Township. Matt Reeese News Radio seven hundred wlubs.
Speaker 2: Too much the friendly snow for it's like a friendly snow. It is pretty out there. I'll give him that. You look outside, I look it melted on the roads, but stuck on the trees. It's like cleans things up a little bit, sout that gray salty nastiness pretty for a minute, all starts melting and then we're back to that again. But you know, I attack the climbate terists on our local news because you know, they're out there. They're driving around and trying to work hip in a fraud. We're going to go to Kroger, see if milk and bread, and that's why we do that. You know, if people watch that and get a stream of that and then they lose their mind thinking, wow, this is a real crisis. One it's not, but I would live. I'll give the folks on TV, our friends and TV a lot of credit because at least they will get in their company owned vehicle and drive to where the perceived problem is. I'll actually drive to the salt dome with a ruler. Our guy is Reeses out on his own deck. I mean the courage that he has to face the inclement weather, this last dash of severe weather we had this morning, to go out on the deck of his home in Green Township. To actually walk on the deck. That takes real journalistic courage. To hold the microphone down and hear the sounds of a grown man walking on his deck. It's unprecedented journalism, is what That is unprecedented. And he's never going to talk to me again, ultimately, that is the goldless thing. Never never to talk to me. There he is, there's Matt braving the elements. Boy, I hope to god you put a coat on? Did you leave? Did you like run a string from the door to the deck so you could find your way back during the blizzard? Did you did you like bread crumbs down? Did you have what about you should have brought out with you, matt on your back deck a Saint Bernard, because that way if they hurt, I mean, God forbid. We just had that tragedy with the avalanche. But the snow happens, you snow could have fallen off his roof and I mean absolutely just flowed down a from her from high and probably you know, went down his collar. And that's just uncomfortable. You get that snow down your collar, it's like, oh, it's like an ice cream headache. It's it's a terrible thing. Maybe running the house, Get have some tea in advil for that. The braveness and they say journalism, they say boots on the ground, journalism. Herd enting journalist said, nope, not here, not not with our good friend Matthew Reese. The latest on the Savannah Guthrie tragedy. Uh, because there's another turn in this thing. It's certainly it's just not good if you look at it. Obviously, we'll get that in right after a quick time out slowly back on seven hundred w W Slooney seven hundred w welw who moment last night with Jack Hughes, the Star, the game winner, the man himself in New Jersey, NHL opens the second one I second half of the season. I should say about twenty five games left. Play started last night after the heroes welcome it's a State of the Union standing ovation or he and the Sabers. My Sabers are in town. There Jersey and th Thompson, also in the US men's gold winning team, were there and the crowd gave them both the standing ovation. Really really cool moment in the return of the NHL. Thanks for our friends at Dorothy Lane Market of course the original location in Dayton, but also the new one in Mason, I guess the newer one in Mason anyway, and drop some food off for us. And you know, I'm I'm absolutely crazy for Italian food, and I will say there lasagna Is was absolutely incredibly adressing Lasagna off and they did it right too. They had the bechamel in their little white sauce along with the Marinara and the little sausage in there in the right number of layers is absolutely perfect. Chef Tommy crushing it Italian meatballs Maide in house too, the Rosemary Ficasha Tiremasu absolutely fantastic, all made fresh and always absolutely top quality. I mean again, the street continues. I've had to have some and I tell you if I had something like, eh, it wasn't for me. You have to have anything in there that hasn't been absolutely lights out. So if you're in the neighbor who out that way even been there yet, or you have to say, hey, maybe you happen to be up in Mason or in the original location of Dayton swinging by Dorothy Lane Market. There gourmet takeaway stuff is absolutely fantastic and in most cases is better than you could make it home. And I know that goes saleon typically he picks up up at a store, grocery store and hey, it's okay, this is it's better than you can make it home. Trusting me. Thanks again our friends at Dorothy Lane Market. So we have movement here in the United States. After what happened to well in the UK, we now have movement here with the Epstein case, Larry Summers resigning from his role at Harvard because of his ties there. Hillary and Bill Clinton's depositions are being held in New York. In connection with that, the former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton gives her interview today Bill Clinton. President Clinton is set to sit in tomorrow and according to the House Deposition rules, both interviews will be videotaped and transcribed and hopefully that will be released as opposed to what we didn't get so far. And you talk to the folks who you know the Epstein Justice, folks like Peach Chin who had on the show number of times, probably have them on in the near future. That you've got literally six million pages, only three have been released, and all of those heavily redacted. And even if you remember Congress, the idea is, well, if you're Congress, you can see the stuff, sure you can, but the redacted stuff you can't see. So there's a lot of names in there. Now I get trying to protect individuals from being falsely accused and being docked because they're in here. I mean, I bring that life touch thing up. That star has gone from Kentucky to a high now where parents are going well, a minute. I don't know if I want this outfit taking pictures of my kid because they're ties to Epstein and even though it's twice removed from any money that may him involved with him, we tend to lose our minds when it comes to issues like is that rightly?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 2: Rightly?
Speaker 5: So?
Speaker 2: You just hope something is going to come in this and it's not just Hillary and Billy. I mean, you go to be fair, and I know a lot of Republicans would love to see nothing more than Hillary and Bill Clinton get jammed up. But it then means there's more victims and that's horrible. But you know, politics aside, and again back to the consistency thing. It should be anyone involved with this, do we deserve to know names? And how far do you go to protect them? Interesting question. It's along the lines of my guest at eleven o seven today, Jack Ryner, a long time first amendm attorney here in Cincinnati. My buddy Jack will come on to talk about the serious threat of deep fake porn. I don't know if you've heard this story or not, and it made a lot of headlines I think over Christmas, and maybe didn't hear too much about it. But what happened with the Grock chat box. So Groc is elon Muck's AI client and they have it on X and you can go on Twitter X and put an image in there and go, okay, make this person, you know, standing on top of Careu tower and it well generate it for you. Well literally, when the first nine days of that going, that feature going active on X, people were uploading images and generated and posted publicly about two million sexualized images of women and children in just nine days. We're talking four and a half million AI generated images overall. Almost half of those involved nudity in this case women and children and some men for that matter. And all you do is you put the image and say, hey, Groc, take off their clothing and these are pick pictures of real people, I mean real children. And the bot did that and posted it publicly. Horrible. You mean to tell me that, like the Groc people didn't see that coming. That's a huge issue. But you know, we're back to that. It's like, Okay, if you're gonna do that kind of stuff, there should be some accountability. Are the laws say? And this is not happening in a vacuum, by the way, this one off story because their ties to us. What's happening in Lawrenceburg. I'm sure you hear that story. In middle and high school, there where kids who are wrapped up in sextortion cases. And so I'm killing themselves because you know, they sent someone a picture of themselves naked and the person or the individual they sent it to turned out not to be who they thought it was. And then they turn around and blackmail the kids, saying, we're going to put this all over the place and ruin your life unless you send us a gift card or money. And these kids wind up doing that or killing themselves. The case may be a horrible thing, and I think that that's from the same cloth. Those two stories kind of work together and it's just awful. But the times in which we live, I think AIS we know we're worried about it taking our jobs. We're worrying about a lot of things with AI. This is another one to worry about. As much as it's going to make our lives easier, there's a threat there and this is a big one. We'll get to that eleven oh seventh day on the show on seven hundred WLW. For almost a month now, the search for Nancy Nancy Guthrie's and it's been dragging on for a while, thousands of leads, and you just have a sense this isn't going anywhere. And now it's it's pretty clear. You know, someone brought up yesterday. I think on the show, you hear this is Look, well, why are they just doing a million dollars now? Is the reward goes? I think that's basically because if you start with too much money, you're going to get way much more noise. So many more people are out there to go and simply fabricated reason or lead in order to get the money that they wouldn't for the fifty grand, but it's less likely, and I think when they go, hey, we're doing a million dollars a million dollar reward now fifty one hundred and hour a million, like now, it's about trying to get the people around the individual or individuals responsible for her abduction and kidnapping and presumably murder, to get them to turn on the people they know, that's what this is. At fifty grand, they're like, I don't know, maybe he gets the ransom or whatever's going on, but for a million dollars, you know, you may have a family member that rolls on you. You know, Ted Kazinski is where he is now because of a family member rolling on for I don't think for a roar and maybe did get a reward, I don't remember. But you know, the investigators now think that the profile here of this individual is not a typical kidnapping, ransom suspect and it's more of a personal or revenge driven type of thing. But some of the characteristics there, and there may be a connection to a family member. Now the family has been vindicated at this point, but there could be a tie to Savannah's father died in nineteen eighty eight. But that's where they're going now. But the one million dollars is going to get a ton more leads. But it's about trying to get the individuals around that person or persons who abducted her to roll on them. That's I think that's what that is about right there. But now we're almost whatt a month into this thing. It's it's clearly and I think you know, based on Savannah Guthrie's last video, she knows that public interurce is waning on this and you know, eventually the law enforcements. We have to focus on some other things because crime never sleeps. There's gonna be more cases to solve out there. And you just wonder if this turns into a cold case. And I don't even know what that period is actually how long before they consider a case cold. I don't think they're anywhere near that at this point. Similar it's all high profile, but at eighty four needing medication. You know, one of the working out my working theory is this individual. You know, this was in a you know, like adjacent Stay Them thriller where they're kidnapping you know, they're kidnapping a loved one and he's got to go and find them, and you know, that's that's movies. This is more like you know, I think the thing that got me was when the individual showed up to her door, took leaves and tried to match the camera with that. That's not like a well throught out type of you know, you think you'd scope the property, go there's a ring camera there, and then come back and you know, either disabled knock it off or spray paint on something like that. But you know, trying to cover it up with leaves is like you didn't think of that, so I guess that's my experts think this is kind of amateurish that way, and why maybe but her personal connection opposed to doing it for money, because the ransom thing just dried up right away. We thought initially it's like okay, holder for rams, and that just it went away and makes you think that, okay, there, that was never ever in play, and so why did they capture It has to be almost a personal connection, right, And just the way that they took her away, I guess is and not knowing that she needed medicine. I think maybe it's like, okay, I kidnapped her and then she needs medicine which you're unaware of, and she dies because she has never medicine. And now it's like, oh, okay, now what do we do or what do I do? If it's an individual and God knows where the bodies At this point, I mean, you want to hope against all odds that she's still alive, but that's that's been less likely for a long time now. It's such a sad thing too, because it's fading away now as we speak. But you know, the idea of due of people are going, well, why why didn't you just give a million to begin with, well, because you get too many lunatics coming out to try and get the million dollars. We saw that with a fifty grand, although on one hundred grand, a million grand, a million, it's a million grand. It's a new number. So yeah, in that regard, I think it's just trying to get people to flip on the individual who did this, because can you actually do without telling anyone? That's really the hard part, you know. We thought cameras are everywhere and they may have more video evidence here but that they're leading on to. But at the same time, it's like it's awfully tough to get away with things with all the cameras around, but at the same time, to do something like this and not tell anyone as almost an impossibility. Sadly unfortunately, seven hundred ww iHeart Media, Solute, Cincinnati's own Procter and Gamble. If you've got someone there you'd like for us to recognize on the air, text as their name to five one, eight eight one and be listening. We'll get a news update in here. The snow appears to be over. According to Matt Reeves, it's a pretty snow it's very theatrical as what this is. Hopefully we'll play that audio with him walking on his decking en. It's very brave anyway, very gent very gentle. Snow I believe too. I was just try your boy Reese by the way, minutes ago here for being what having the break? It's being so brave as to walk out on his own deck and file this report about crashing my lead man, Oh, you're gonna play it?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, good, you gotta he If you just tuned in, you got to hear this. I make fun of climate terrists all the time on TV when they try to scare about the weather. Our own Matt Reeves is exceeded. He's like, literally broke through that wall right now. I mean, how brave is it to go on your own deck and file a report on the radio. It's incredible. We'll do that and when we return on Hi, Rep. Dave Thomas from up in North should Ohio and property taxes all together? Yay, okay, well, how are we gonna fund stuff?
Speaker 4: Wait?
Speaker 2: Do you hear what they think the sales tax would be if we got rid of property tax? Next on the Scott Slone Show, Home of the reds seven hundred ww sincent Do you.
Speaker 1: Want to be an American?
Speaker 2: Scott Flum show back on seven hundred w welw. Ohio activists want to eliminate your property build tax entirely. Sound good? Okay, well wait do they hear what it could do to the sales tax? Right? So, rising property taxes are pricing a lot homeowners out of their homes. We've seen increases mile of twenty eight percent, but all the way up to one hundred and thirty percent across southwest Ohio here, and the Committee to Abolished Property Taxes is gathering signatures or a constitutional amendment that they want to put on the November ballots. So what's the good, the bad, and the ugly of this? Ohio Representative David Thomas out of Jefferson, I said, Jefferson, not Jeffersonville. That's in the now up here Ashtra Bulah Warren, Northeast Ohio. David, welcome to the show. How are you?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 7: Thank you so much for having me one.
Speaker 2: I appreciate it. Governor de Wine warned about abolishing taxes and we'd see the tax rate jump up to twenty percent from the five point seventy five now and other people say they're full of it. So, uh, do you agree with the math? Is the math math on this one? And even if it's close to accurate, can you justify that trade off?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a great question. I think this shows just how upset and frustrated people are with the property tax system. But the math math if you do essentially a one for one, so right now, roughly twenty four billion dollars is how much property taxes collect in every year, and all of that money stays the local level that funds your local services. And if you were to eliminate that twenty four billion, you would have to and I would assume most people would still want their local police departments to fire, their road services, all those different types of things, and so you'd have to pull that revenue from somewhere else. Now, many folks who are very strong behind abolishing you know, say, hey, I'm perfectly fine to have a much much higher sales tax if that means I no longer have it on the property tax side, right, And so's that's kind of one of the trade offs that people have to think about. But twenty percent, you know, that is essentially yes, that that's the number that we would likely have to get to because areas like yours down in southwest Ohio, areas like mine in northeast Ohio, we have other states around us, and so you're going to have people who leave the state to buy things. You're going to have less activity because things are going to be much more expensive. So you have to the sales tax even higher than what you would directly need to replace that about twenty four billion dollars.
Speaker 2: That's a question. So let's say, just for giggles here, that they're successful. I get on the ballot, people okay, great, I don't have to pay any more proper dexts my home and are great, I don't have to pay this anymore. They came out and said, look, it's not our responsibility to figure out how to replace that twenty plus billion dollars in annual revenue that falls on the General Assembly. People like yourself, David Thomas. What's your answer? Where would even begin to look for that kind of money? I mean, you're saying the twenty percent tax wouldn't work, but what other options are there?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they are correct, and that's kind of the I think the committee quite often, I know the leadership personally they've allowed us to do a lot of the reform bills that we've done this past year because people now realize just holp set folks are a property taxes, but essentially it is our responsibility. There's actually a constitutional amendment two years ago in North Dakota that very similar abolish everything. It failed because it put in essentially the replacement revenue, and I think people then saw in the ballot, WHOA, this will happen if the abolished and so they said no. But there's no way, no physical way that Ohio would go up to a twenty percent sales tax. It'd be impossible. Right, So then you have to look at essentially cutting costs. You've got to decrease how much money you're actually going to need for those services.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I tend to lean more libertarian all this stuff, but in the way I look at it is looks it's the least bad tax in the world. In this group in Midlely a way, we don't like property taxes, but we don't really want to cut services that they fund. Despite going you know, government's bloated and fat and dozed and all that stuff, which I get, But when it comes to services, that you use are available, then we don't want to do that. So it's contradictory on our part for sure. And I think property taxes just are generally less Distortionay. You know you can, as you mentioned being in northeast Ohio and us here in southwest Ohio. Well, you know, if you don't like the prices because the sales tax is twenty percent, you can choose to do business in India and Kentucky. Well, the same is true with property tax. A lot of people I work with live in Kentucky for that reason. So you can move to places where you're less heavily taxed with what the local sales tax and income taxes. I mean, real estate generally has to stay put. If you're a business owner, you can choose where you live. But I guess you know that this is the Hey, I don't want to pay taxes, but I want someone else to pay for it. Well, who's that going to be?
Speaker 7: Yeah, And that's a very interesting point you s brought up about the business side. So businesses currently pay about a third to a half, depending on your local area and what kind of makes up the community, they pay a third to a half of the property tax bill. So one of the I guess the issues of concerns that I have is if you abolish and get rid of all property taxation, you're also been getting rid of property taxes on your walmarts and on your manufacturing and your your data centers. Bring up that fun topic, and you know then what happens when you have to move it over the income and sales tax are actually shifting that over to the individual as opposed to have in the business pay. So there's a lot of kind of philosophical questions about what could happen and what's a better way to do this, And I think it just brings up the whole idea that we can't We've not done any type of major changes on a property tax system in fifty years. Nineteen seventy six was the last time. So it just really shows, you know, we've been overdue, and last year we've passed five strong bills plus was in the budget to really kind of correct what happened. And in my mind, we've essentially now said that the frustration that voters have, which is their tax bill goes up, they never had to say on it, and it's all because of the value spiking local government's getting unvoted wmfalls that they just didn't really need. We've essentially stopped that. Moving forward, that will not continue. So voters now have a lot more of that control with what levees are on the ballot, what do they actually want to pay for and support. But you know what percentage of levees pass a last year in November? Okay, eighty seven percent. So despite there being hundreds of thousand centatures being collected a lot of people angry at property taxes, voters still approved eighty seven percent of the levees across Ohio. And there's a disconnect there. But there's also a thing of sense that if you're asked, hey, do you want to support your local fire department with this levee for a fire truck, typically you're going to say yes, yeah. But if you're forced to pay over five hundred or one thousand dollars more year tax bill and you had no say over that, that's when you get really upset, and rightfully so, because that shouldn't happen. So we're correcting that moving forward.
Speaker 2: He is Ohio represent of David Thomas, and he is the foremost expert in the General Assembly when it comes to this property tax you should. I'm having them on because they're trying to get this on the ball. A group called Abolish Ohio Property Taxes gathering signatures for a constitutional amendment in November that would eliminate our property taxes. The problem is they're like, well, we don't know how to replace it. That's y'all's job at the In Columbus, we just don't want any more. Property taxes could be as high as twenty percent or more the sales tax we pay in Ohio, which would be devastating to border cities like Cincinnati, for example. We already cut the local government fund I think back in twenty thirteen, and that FOS forced local communities to engage these levies in the first place. So if you push to abolish property taxes now the state, I mean, the finish what they started, right, Aren't you just shifting the burden rather reducing it.
Speaker 7: That's a great question. I get asked a lot your state tax dollars pre twenty thirteen per twenty ten used to send a ton. I think we had eight income tax brackets used to send a ton down to Columbus. And then it was Columbus deciding Okay, who's the winners, who's the losers, and.
Speaker 3: How much do local communities get?
Speaker 7: And the philosophy from twenty ten to now has been you should be sending a whole lot less to Columbus and then you have more money to decide do I want to support that fire department or the library or whatever, look levee, and it's it's kind of local communities than picking what type of services they want versus that money going on to Columbus and then hoping to come back. Because you're absolutely right, we have cut the little government fund that's the money that Columbus sends the local government in twenty ten. Now every year since then we've actually been increased in that percentage and now it's it's not that to where it wasn't twenty ten, but it's pretty close. However, what is absolutely different than is our income tax rate. You know, we're now the lowest flat income tax in the nation at two point seventy five percent. Then we're going to keep decreasing that. So there's there's trade ops with that. But in my mind, less of Columbus more in your pocket to the side you might be paying more because you're being asked, and you want to support those local services. I'd rather that money stay there than they come down to the Statehouse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this is the cost of that local money not coming back as well. We have to add more and more levees and now we're seeing property tax values go up and like and people are now I get it, but we we still have to on government. Property tax is fun like sixty five percent of local government revenue. So school fire police ems? What for you in northeast Ohio? What do you tell your constitions if this happens and those things will have to reduce? I mean, which one do you pick? Can you do without schools, fire police or emas well?
Speaker 7: And that's a great point too, so you know, essentially less money from Columbus to lower governments. Your comment of they've essentially moved over the levees to help make the difference up, but that didn't actually have to be the case. And my main kind of comments to my constituents, especially my local governments, have been we have to change that mindset that's always the property owner that we go to. Counties, for example, have a sales tax option already. We actually see Montgomery County funding their social services, not through property taxes but through sales tax or Washington County actually decreasing their township property taxes and making it up in a sales tax. That's one option at the county level. And obviously cities and villages they should have the lowest property taxes in the state because they have the income tax locally and that can vary as well. And schools actually have an income tax option also, So there are other ways to fund our local governments. We've given different options besides just the property needs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know that's.
Speaker 7: One thing now, but then abolish happens, I would envision I kind of tell folks whatever other option that community has, city, village, township, county, they'll likely just increase and move up tremendously that.
Speaker 8: That tax revenue.
Speaker 2: He's Ohio represent David Thomas up in the Ashtabulah Warren area, and he is the guy who is the it is the foremost expert, I would say in the General Assembly on property tax because we're all sweating right now. We're seeing rates go up as high as one hundred and thirty percent here in southwest Ohio. A lot of people just screaming, stop the pain. And there's a group out there that's trying to get on the ballot November. Just that a constitutional amendment that would eliminate Ohio's property tax. But we got to pay for fiery ms, school police, all that stuff. You'll get in your roope. But we had rough winner here. I know you had a rough winner too, especially up north. We got hammer down here in Cincinnati, and uh, hey, you know'd be nice if we can get some plows out there. That's a question as well. So you know, even and you're a Republican. Hamlet County Auditor Jessica Miranda is a Democrat, says called I had around on a year or so ago talking about this, and she said, it's it's tax shifting, not tax relief. That we keep cutting its obligations to locals from the state and it appears to help taxpayers, but it just kicks the can down to a different area. It's not really it's just tax shifting. It's not like, wow, I got my taxes, go hey, this is great. Yeah, but we still got to pay for stuff. How do you do that? It's aid And when you Democrats and Republicans agree, it sounds like there's impetus to maybe make some change.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and that that sels a question is what level of government is actually the largest and what is actual tax reform? In my mind, actual tax reform is the taxpayer paying less overall, and it's the government getting less than overall. And if we continue to essentially prompt up and make larger one area of government, which would then be for example, local government, all that really does is actually take your tax money. It doesn't relieve you or decrease your burden. It just actually is increasing and almost promoting larger growth. A perfect example of that, I say, is the school systems. So you've probably heard and everyone says all of the state's cutting school funding, the state's cutting school funding. We have actually been increasing your tax dollars to public schools since twenty twenty, for example, every year almost a billion to two billion dollars and so tremendous amounts more in taxpayer dollars going to local schools. And if that theory were correct, that essentially the statements needs to pay more to local governments, then our school system should not need as much property tax money. But what actually happened over the last five years as the state has increased school funding tremendously. Schools have received, asked for, taken even more on the property tax side, and essentially the philosophy that more is never enough, and so there has to be some type of limit, some type of control over that government size of government spending, and that's essentially trying to decrease in taxes.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned school funding there. That was ruled on constitual health. I think even before I was doing talk rated for goodness sake back in the nineties, and the state still has yeah fully implemented fair school funding. So if that disappears, that's a whole other crisis there isn't it.
Speaker 7: The ninety seven decision, and that's the Draff decision. It didn't actually say that property taxes were unconstitutional for schools, or that it was the taxpayer who was being served unduly. It was actually more on the student. So we were back then essentially giving a whole bunch of money to wealthy areas, wealthy school districts and helping them wealthy kids versus your poor kids were really being left out. And so now what we essentially do. We've had eight different funding formulas since nineteen ninety seven, and we kind of balance out the playing fields. So your wealthier areas, your state tax dollars still go to those schools, but a very smaller amount than your poorer areas. Think of in my neck of the woods, East Cleveland's Youngstown City schools, those schools receive almost thirty thousand dollars per kid from your state tax dollars. Versus your wealthier school districts, those received tremendously less. And that's essentially what that constitutional decision said we had to move towards, is trying to give an equal opportunity for each of those kids, regardless of wealthier or poor. But using property taxes or local revenue, I think has to be a piece of that school funding size. When I tell folks that we spend over thirty billion dollars on public schools, their eyes should just get wide because that that is over a third to almost half of our state budget.
Speaker 2: And look at the results we get. That's a separate argument entirely.
Speaker 6: David, Oh, all right, that's insane.
Speaker 2: So I talked to I lot Bill Sites. Bill Sites when he was in office, he was part of Mike Dewines working group, and they came up with I believe twenty targeted relief recommendations, homestead exemptions, deferrals, levy reform, inflation caps. Well, why didn't that fix the problem. Why shouldn't have to fix the problem. I mean, you put the smartest minds out there. They said, Okay, here's the plan, and here we are.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So I joke, I'm the most vetoed legislator right now. A lot of these different reforms were actually in the state budget last year. The governor vetoed almost all of them and then formed his working group to say, okay, what what should we do? What if these policies are good, bad and you know bill sites. The working group actually backed up most of those policies that were in the budget, and then other ones too, So we passed five different bills this past year. Those bills essentially stop them voted spikes, they give a lot more clarity on the ballot voter control, and they actually start decreasing tax bills starting second half of this year. So those were essentially the biggest changes we've made to the property tax system in fifty years. We still have a ton more to do, but we actually hit almost half of the recommendations of that study committee just last year alone. In those five different bills.
Speaker 2: Finally, David should voter listening to this thing, but four or against the proposal, maybe getting on the belt in November.
Speaker 7: So I don't think that this is the right thing to do. I think that there's a lot of validity, and I would not begrudge anyone from voting yes because of just how bad the system has gotten. I think that we can do a lot of good and a lot of changes that does not blow up the system and cause us to essentially have to redo everything, because unfortunately, there's about a month turnaround from when folks vote to when this happens, and you're talking about the largest change in Ohio structure in our history happening in about one month. I'd rather do that more planned out or kind of long term and have those changes actually help an impact versus what could happen in that part amount of time.
Speaker 2: Well, we've seen this before. Rests with the marijuana thing is that people want something and the legislature doesn't do anything, and then they come up with a grassroots effort in the legislature steps and said, well, well hold on a second, that's kind of what's happening here. We'll find out how it plays out again. Ohio represent David Thomas up in Jefferson in Northeast ohioh thanks for coming on the show this morning. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 7: Oh, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Be well, it's a Scott's Loan show. Yeah, it's like, careful what you wish for, you might just get it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's America and we want everyone else to pay for what we want. I want something, but you should pay for it. Welcome to the United States News and seconds here seven hundred ww So is that price Boodashie bottled water actually better for you just paying for the label. And there's a new trend when it comes to hydration. People are drinking hot water. I don't know why we're drinking hot water to hydrate themselves. But Sonjay Shaperkrimani's here. He is our resident emergency medicine physician, health, food, fitness, It all comes together. You can find him at Revives Strength in Oakley and his handle is at Dinewell Dock. Sonjay, Welcome, How are you brother? Thank you? Son? I'm great. How are you. I'm doing FINA A little dehydrated right now. I think it's a great topic because most people who don't drink it off water to start with, and we don't do that now. Typically, Okay, it's a it's thirty five eight ounce glasses a day, but I can carry around a twenty four onns water bottle and I have a couple of those a day. Usually if I'm doing a little more physical activity, I might have more. Some days I forget and have less. What's the number?
Speaker 9: So that's the hard part, right, because we don't think in ounces a lot of the time. Sometimes our bottles which you just took us just make be thirsty talking about it. Well, it's the numbers if we really want to go with something. And something easy to remember is you take your weight and you divide it by two, and that's how many ounces you should have. And then knowing that there's eight ounces in a cup, that you can divide it another way would be you know, just just for me a fair example, I'm just over two hundred pounds, that's about one hundred ounces, which would be about twelve cups of water as opposed to the eight cups of water that is usually recommended. So usually it's it's about total fluid intake in a day for a guy should be around three and a half liters and for a woman should be about two and a half to three lids.
Speaker 2: Okay, And most people go, wow, two hundred hundred ounces. I'm like, I don't turk anywhere near one hundred. I thought it was pretty good with water, But should you all? Do you also include things like coffee or if you drink pop or other form because food has liquid in it too, does that count tours?
Speaker 9: That does count towards your your overall So for men, three point seven liters is what's recommended, a really easy number to remember, but that's total fluid that you take in, So that does include all of the liquid, even the liquid in your food, so you know a lot of vegetables or water, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So that counts towards it.
Speaker 9: So at the end of the day, that's why I go with the weight thing, and that's that is the water intake you want. So again, for me, two hundred pounds becomes one hundred ounces, and that's how much water or fluids I wanted.
Speaker 2: Okay, So how good are you doing?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: Horrible?
Speaker 9: But better than I used to be. And that's all I chase every day. And so I've I've done some things to help. But you actually mentioned something, which is coffee. There was a long standing thing that says that coffee actually dehydrates you, and we all hear it. So coffee tea that dehydrates you.
Speaker 2: It doesn't count.
Speaker 9: Coffee and tea actually do hydrate you, not as much because you know, coffee and tea are diuretics, so there are off sat a little bit. But the overall net is still hydration when you have coffee or tea, so it doesn't count like as well as water does. But it's pretty it's pretty good still.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, and if you eat fruits and bad too, you're probably getting more than most people don't get the factor that as well. But okay, two hundred pounds, shoot for one hundred hundred. Yeah, either drink more water, lose weight.
Speaker 9: That's that's your That's why not both because it's too much to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I used to be horrible at it. How are you with the water?
Speaker 3: I see?
Speaker 2: I tried to to too, Like I think like two maybe three of those a day, but now I'm like, well, crap, I need drink four of those bare minimum, right.
Speaker 9: I mean, like, you know, we can all do a little bit better. As far as drinking the water, sleep over it though, because I have some other things. I mean, if you drink too much water, you would lose sleep because you'd have to get up to peak.
Speaker 2: Well, that's another part of the problem right there. And of course you can drink too much water and it's toxic. It is toxic.
Speaker 9: But those doses are like fraternity hazing doses of water water boarded exactly you were. You know, it's it's hard to make yourself toxic on water, but it is possible.
Speaker 2: So you know, as always consult with your physicians. You see people walking around Sarah least she's got I know, purified water is stilled water, this dn I deionized water. You've got alkaline water, electrolyte in handants, water, vitamin water, hydrogen water, fluoridated water, water with water, water, crispy water, water fed, bacon flavored water, caffeine water actually sounds great bacon. I'm in all right, Are you getting anything out of that? Yeah? So I got a smart I only drink smart water. It's like you're dumb in the af you needed drink seven gallons.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: There are a lot of a lot of things out there, and a lot of options, and at the end of the day, for most of us, at most times of the day, just normal water is as good as anything else. Uh you know, we can we can start with well, you mentioned the trend on TikTok, which is, you know, from the becoming Chinese trend, which is encouraging everyone to drink hot water in the morning, which actually has no no basis. Really, it doesn't help detoxify your gut or anything when you really think about it, you put anything in your stomach, Yeah, whatever the water is, it's going to go to the to the same temperature your body is pretty quickly, so it's not doing anything for you. Maybe helping your gut motility the smallest amount, but really hot, cold, room temp it's all the same.
Speaker 2: Uh So it's just a livestalle it's Eastern medicine kind of like.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: And you know the thing about anything, any of these things we're talking about, as long as they're not toxic, is whatever helps you drink more water, that's good.
Speaker 2: It can't chug hot water, so I think I can probably drink to challenge me like that, I can try.
Speaker 9: Uh No, it's it makes it harder and water at very high temperatures so greater than one hundred and forty degrees can cause burns hirosophagus, sure, and also can cause it's been linked to causing cancer. And so you definitely don't want to have your water too hot, too much hot coffee, hot tea drinking can actually be harmful.
Speaker 2: All right, So don't drink all your water hot. I don't assure the game, but I've heard too it's like if you if you drink a lot of drink ice wor chrug ice water, it will cause your metabolism to speed up, but probably maybe a couple calories really not ADATs.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if that again, it'll warm up to your body temperature in second, so by the time it hits your stomach, you're good. And speaking of which, you know your stomach is the other part. So there's all the alkali water out there that basically is a base. So if we go back to chemistry, pH is being zero to fourteen. Seven is the middle. Less than seven is an acid. Your stomach is at one to three for a pH that's just over battery acid. So it is it's as it's as acidic as it can get. And then you put a little bit of alkali in there, and with water, it's being in the ocean, so it's not doing much at all, and so it's not something that is actually going to make a real world impact. So I would recommend not wasting your money on.
Speaker 2: Aline alkaline water. What about what about electrolyte in him? Does every Because you know, you kind of lost me when you go into Taco Bell and they've got a power aid coming out of the fountain next to coke. I'm like, I don't know, I'm too Any professional athletes are coming in, you know after two a days going yeah, I'm gonna get the I'm going to get a chiloupa and oh I've got power Now. It's just become like you don't need that, do you?
Speaker 9: Most of the time you don't need it. That being said again, if it's helping you drink water, by all means, but it really isn't needed. So all the supplements, all the gatorades and power raids, they do have their place.
Speaker 2: You know, they were invented.
Speaker 9: Gatorade was originally invented for the University of Florida, you know, the Gators.
Speaker 2: It was invented there and where you're playing football in full pads and one hundred and bleep degrees outside. You need the exactly you need to replace those salts. You need that in Cincinnati in February. Probably not.
Speaker 9: I mean the way the weather's going. Maybe later today there'll be ninety and you'll need it. Who knows, but yeah, if you're sweating a lot, if you're a person you know who in general sweats, if you've had a you know, sixty minute workout in the day and you're drenched with sweat, sure, but most of the time, plain water is going to be your friend, and there's nothing wrong with it.
Speaker 2: There's also hydrogen water.
Speaker 9: What's that Hydrogen water has just got so this is the one that might actually have the H the H the H two is it's like all the hs you want. It's as crazy H two O two exactly. Well, that's hydrogen proxide, Scott, we won't. You don't want to drink that at all? Breath It's gonna smell great, yes, but no, do not drink hydrogen proxide.
Speaker 2: This is the biggest thing you can learn from this episode.
Speaker 9: Please don't. But the hydrogen water is the Chinese are doing it and they're.
Speaker 2: Living one year longer. Than we are, so there must know.
Speaker 9: So hydrogen water actually has some promise, especially in the lab. So what it does is that the thought is it's helping with the what we call free radicals of oxygen in your body, and it's actually been shown to help. The problem is it's a kind of unstable thing. The second you open a bottle, most of your hydrogen is going to escape out of the bottle, and so you're not going to really absorb a lot. So in theory it's great, and the studies are still coming out. So this is one that's in the balance. But if you're paying ten times more for that, it's probably not going to be worth it. But it doesn't seem to be harmful. At the same time, with the way things are. We're the debate with RFK Junior over think of floride and water. Where are you in that? I'm okay with it. I think I probably did and I turned out relatively okay. I mean it's questionable. Ask my what's the concern.
Speaker 2: Of the what's the danger and what's the perceived danger with flora in the water, what's the.
Speaker 9: I'd have to look into that one more. Scott, I can't remember all the details. I can't either, but I know, well the floor we shouldn't. You should have a choice as to what's in your water.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess, but you know, it's the evidence is pretty the date, it's pretty good. Since we've been doing this as long is you know the amount of people whose teeth are riding and you don't see people wearing dentures anymore, right, Yeah, because.
Speaker 9: Yeah, the drinking part of is protective. It's also the quality of the water we're drinking. Where Cincinnati is one of the best in the country, so that actually brings up another thing as far as like quality of the water. I know, I personally, you know, I start my day and this is how I start my count and make sure I drink enough water in the day. I have thirty ounces of water essentially first thing in the morning, and that's straight from the tap. I do have a filter on my fridge and we use that, you know sometimes, But I'm also okay with the tap water here. I believe in it. But that's that's personal preference. And it does get rid of some of the extra stuff if you have a filter on your fridge, but certainly nothing you need like a eight thousand dollars filter.
Speaker 2: For Yeah, yeah, reverse osmosis. I mean that might be coming to the house some of your pipes. But yeah, but you know, if you think the water tastes fine or something, you know, they have the ones in the tap or brit a picture or something like, and people do that. It's exactly and that's more than enough. Yeah yeah, yeah, but does that also take minerals out that you need so a little bit.
Speaker 9: But a negligible amount, and there's still plenty in there that that will.
Speaker 2: Get through people that have a water softener. Is that, Tommy, I'm not sure, but I don't think it does. Not like the salt adds. The salt goes into the water, you don't taste it correct, Yeah, excuse a filter? Okay again, Sanjay Shafercamani's here answer the questions about water. You think there'd be no questions about We have questions about water in this trend that's grown on TikTok as. My wife saw this the other day, pointed it out that people are drinking hot water. Now, what the hell is that doing for you? It's hot water, It's like drinking cold. It's water. Water's water, And is that pricey bottle of water that you get I don't know at the store, or you're like, I think I need this. You know that with the enhancements in it, you really don't. You just your your body needs water.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The other thing too, is you drink all those people, But well, I gotta I gotta do a cleanse. But isn't the job of those organs inside your body to do what it is you're trying to do? Like that, That's what the cleanse is. If your lover and your kidneys are doing the job.
Speaker 9: R If you want to sell anything today, just say it detoxifies and it will sell.
Speaker 2: And that's what you know.
Speaker 9: Water literally does that by helping your organs flush the stuff out. It's not like any specific water will do it. As long as you have water flowing through your organs to help the blood pump, you will detoxify yourself. So you know, it doesn't matter what you're putting in. Again, the stomach does a great job of neutral or actually acidifying everything that you know you're gonna get the same stuff that passes into your bowels and then gets absorbed.
Speaker 2: That that does also bring up one point.
Speaker 9: A lot of people are like oh, I shouldn't have sugar in my fluid, so you know, full sugar gatorade. But there's actually some use to having some sugar in your water. And this is not a time and so maybe a little bit of honey or a little bit of fruit juice, but maybe not to the degree that gatorade is. There's probably like twice as much sugar as you need in there. But that does help water go from your bowels or your intestines into your bloodstream. So it helps with the absorption of water to have a little bit of sugar, but not.
Speaker 2: Too much, okay, But there's these packets you put in. One is like for recovery. If you're a crushing at the night before like you do, you're you're the club. It's three four o'clock in the morning. I told you not to talk about that on air. You're gonna get the you know, it's gonna help you hydrate and halt your body hole much like garin. That's like a gator but just people won't drink wad unless it's flavored. Is that what's worse? The flavoring or the fact that you're drinking. I mean, it seems like if that helps you get more water. That's a good thing, right in general.
Speaker 9: Yes, I'm I'm a big fan of flavored water just because I just don't enjoy flat water. So I like bubbles in my water, and I like, you know, stuff that I actually know what it is. So there's this big thing as far as like anything that says natural flavors. You can't really count on what that is, but I promise I'm not sponsored by them. But spin Drift has you know, bubble carbonated water that just said real few fruit juice in it, and that's it, and so you know what you're getting. It's minimal calories. It's just a little bit of extra sugar to help with that absorption. So that's what I go with. But again to your point, anything that makes you drink more water, even if it has natural flavors, If you're drinking more water, that's a good thing in the long run.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And most of those things are you know, you got to watch. So I think you know, there's certain a lot of pop have chemicals in it, and that's a concern if that's your primary source of hydration. What does that do for you outside the chemicals, I.
Speaker 9: Mean, from a hydration standpoint, you're going to be hydrating at least a little bit. Again, the caffeine a mild diuretic, so it's gonna make you peel a little bit more than water would, and you get the chemicals in there, and you know there's other stuff. But I love a coke zero at the same time, I'm just not making not my primary source of intake as I'm drinking as celsius at the same time while looking at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a water in a five way don't go together. You need to, I mean teach through a five way. I'm gonna have a cog with it. Sanjay Shaver Krimani, our air physician on the show This Smart Little Food Health Fitness, we talk all that. We're talking about water in the myth of water, and you just need to drink water. Tap water is fine. You know, if you want to spend money on pH enhanced that's your money. You do what you want with it, but you're not getting any benefit. It's the thing, and tap is now you know, bottle water sin, I've got bottles of water in my fridge. And if you know a company comes to company water, you know I had somebody glass of water here. Any water. Get a bottle of water, show some class at least have a six pack of Desgani or some Kroger water, something like.
Speaker 9: It's cheap, may as well use a glass then at that point, like a glass bottle that would be really classy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would be. Well, there's some of the bougie mineral water. I mean perry A right, that was the first when we started. That was back in the seventies or eighties. I guess when they came out, it's like, oh, you got this bougie French water. Now look at well you're drinking celsias. What's that?
Speaker 9: How many chemicals earned that? Only about eighty seven? Yeah, give or take. There's a lot of letters on it.
Speaker 2: I love it because you keep it real. It's like, yeah, I'm as bad as anybody else about all this stuff. So it's fine. Everything you need to know about water. You do not need to drink hot water. You don't need to just drink water. Drink again. Divide your weight in half and that's how the ounces you should have. You got easy math. Even I can do that, and I suck it math. Sanjay Shaved CARMANI is here jumps on the show every Thursday morning, we talk food, fitness, health. He's a emergency medicine physician. You can find him at Dinewell Dock or his place at Revived Strength in Okley. Appreciate your brother, Thanks again, thank you. So we'll get news on the way in just minutes. Jack Render's here. Horrible story involving Grock, the AI client that's on x slash Twitter, where you can, you know, upload an image and go, hey, make this person have no clothes on, and they do this and we've got four i think four plus million images that came out in nine days, and almost two million of those were of women and children. It's really interesting and what can the law do to protect kids and everyone else from AI. We'll get into that next to the show Afternoons on the Home of the Red seven hundred WWT, Cincinnatis.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 2: Scott Flues Show on seven hundred WLW. How about this happened a little while ago. Elon Musk's AI chatbot generated millions of sexualized images of real women and children and posted them publicly. And of course, at the same time in Lawrenceburg, we have this teen sex stortion case going on and it's disturbing, and so the next year is creating and disturbing this content is pretty easy now with AI. The question is, so what does the law do about it? Is enough? What about the First Amendment? Jack Ryners here a one a constitutional expert with Farouki here in Cincinnati. Jack, Welcome on this snowy Thursday morning. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well?
Speaker 5: Doing well?
Speaker 2: Okay, So the stories If you didn't hear this, so Grock, it's an AI chatbot that's on X and you can go in there if you're an ex user Twitter and generate these images. Right, So, people get on there and they generated and publicly posted about approximately two million sexualized images of women and children. In just nine days, there were more than four point four million AI generated images, and not all those were porn, but about half of them more so roughly two million. And all you do is you simply ask GROC to remove the clothing from photos of real people, including children, and the boch complied and posted all the stuff online. Not only is that a huge moral dilemma, but it's also a legal one at that. So we'll begin with the it's called the Take It Down Act, and that covered deep bit Congress pass. This covers deep fakes and people and intimate sexual acts. Does that cover this?
Speaker 5: I think it does? You know, I think really the question is is it a fish? It is it? Because my understanding to Take It Down Act is that it requires that it be literally taken down. I mean, you know that there can be a demand to take it down. I don't know that. I don't think that it provides for any really serious criminal penalty for it, which I think is the concern here. If I can do it, you know, if I'm one of those people that that's posting this stuff and the worst thing that happens to me is I get in order to take it down? All right, so what you know, move on to just want to do it again and get another one. So I think that the concern that people have, the rightful concern that people have, is whether or not there's sufficient keath in the law. And I think right now, no, I think that that needs to be revisited, and I think there has to be some consideration for you know, actually criminal counties.
Speaker 2: Well that's the thing, right, and typically the way the law works is if you do something like that, you get a C and D season desist and you have an opportunity to remedy it. And that's the way the law works. It's that's fairness. But the problem is is we know that that image has now been distributed, disseminated and duplicated countless times on the internet. Once it's out of the barn. I mean, it's really out of the barn. There's no one do feature on this one.
Speaker 5: No, there really isn't, you know. And if you say that can be that's fine. So the person who originally posted it, if you can find that person, that's an issue. But you know, if it's if it's posted, you really can't control who forwards it, who gets it, who who forged it again and again and again. So it would be good, I think, to have some method to try it innefit. But and again, you know, criminal law serves a couple of purposes. One is to punish the wrongdoer. Two is to deter other people from doing it. Right, So without a scient penalty, uh, you don't have much of turrence.
Speaker 2: Well. Also, I look at this Lawrenceburg High School middle school situation involving sex stortion cases, which is just a terrible story, and that involves minors being manipulated into producing their own images, because if they're extorted, they're saying, hey, send me a pay I'll send you a picture of me, which isn't a real person. They send something, and now they blackmail them as how this works. So if AI is now used to generate those images without the victim ever sending anything, does that fundamentally change the legal exposure for the perpetrator.
Speaker 5: Uh well, I think if if there's extortion involved, I think you probably existing laws can probably address that. Okay, not to say there's not a good reason to a man or an act and specific legislation, but if I am blackmailing you or story you, I think there is probably room under existing laws about victorian and blackmail that you could probably prosecute the person who is who is doing that. I do think if you noted, but I think it's worth emphasizing the cases of Lawrence Burg involved. Like you say, actual images, these were not AI generated or manipulated. These, But the problem here were younger people teenagers being pressured, pray enough pressure for manipulated into providing these these images. So, uh, you know, arguably it's worse because I think that if your images is AI uh generated you know, that's that's upsetting and that sort of thing, but you are not at least you don't probably blame yourself like the kids and.
Speaker 2: Wrensburg, you know what I mean, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 5: So I think that's a that's another consideration, Okay, I would think that there'd be you know. One of the things is, though, however, is that in the sex storishing cases. I think that you get, as you do in a lot of sexually oriented crimes, can you get the victim to come forward and you know, testify and participate because of the embarrassment, and you know, that's the shame and that's that's unfortunate and sadly.
Speaker 2: The problem is that these kids are taking their own lives. It's a you know, long term, permanent solution to a temporary problems. The old adage goes, and you just can't reason with them, and they feel alone and isolated and victimized, and and they want to take their lives. It's just a horrible, horrible thing. Uh But I look at this and now there's a movement underway here. Jack. By the way, Jack Grinder on the show, he's a First Amendment attorney here in Cincinnati, and so the problem was with Grock, which is an al chat bot on x So they released this and said, hey, you upload a photo and you can do whatever you want. You could have you know, you standing on the moon?
Speaker 4: What it?
Speaker 2: It's okay? Great? But now well literally when the first nine days of it, people uploaded images and said take the clothes off these people, and some of them were women and children. In nine days, four point four million AI generated images did just that, and half of those were pornographic or in this violation. And there's no law dealing with this. That's the issue. So moving forward with law, if you misappropriate someone's likeness, name, images and likeness not privacy, law is a do we need a new hook for a new statue? So how would you how would the legislature go about doing this?
Speaker 5: I think that it could take some of the existing trame work. There are Ohio has a statute that deals with misappropriate to the name, image and likeness. It's more of it, but it's a civil remedy. It gives you a right to proceed in a law to an under trademark law. You know there's that you would have a right because if your image is misused. So there's lots of uh, remedies. I guess on the civil side, I would think you could take that and rework that language into a criminal into some sort of criminal statue.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 5: And I don't think that would be a First Amendment problem. I think you have to carve out exceptions for political commentary or parody. Uh, you know, and that gets a little murky, but I think that you'd have to do that because you know, it's tricky. But I think that uh, if you're substituting somebody's likeness on a naked body or whatever, that you could you could somehow work into the statue to sexualized use of the photo so that legitimate paroity. If somebody takes Trump's face and puts it on what ever, probably and that you know, in a way that's legitimate political correntary. I think that that probably ought to be carved out some somehow or another. I think there's probably a way to do it. I mean, I think I need a little bit of time.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm not asking for a court rolling here, Senator.
Speaker 5: I'm good, but yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: But you know you're you're talking about this and what just came into my mind this is also outside your scope here. But you're saying, hey, you know, basically you own your your your image, your name, image and likeness. Could this argument, if this is codified in the law, could could that undermine the whole high school and I all think we're talking about here saying well, you, according to this, you own your enn image of the likeness and you can do what you want with it.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, but that's from the perspective of the person who owns the name image of Like, we're not talking here about somebody if manipulating for their own namas. We're talking about a third party, sure, manipulating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're saying you own it, not someone else can't do what they want with it. So it's like if I own it, then I can monetize it. Oh sure, yeah, yeah, this could be it's gonna be sticky for them for the I mean, that's a separate argument. I don't want to get off on the weeds here. So the First Amendment protects a lot of uncomfortable speech. So what's the competition line between protected expression and what rock.
Speaker 5: Produced political commentary or true parity. I mean, it's distasteful as the thing with the Obama on the eighth bodies, right, I don't think that should be a crime. Okay, yeah, because I think that in those sort of you know, cruel way was probably some sort of political commentary. Uh So I think there has to be some carve out there. I'm not sure that you know, if you if you put I don't know. You know, if you just having fun, you take some high school athletes space and you want to show a powerful, you know, wrestler. This guy is clopping on top of the Hulk's body. Again, I don't think that's criminal. Uh you know, I think there has to be some sort of the sexual dacent I think is probably the issue that you know what I'm wondering about, is is it? And again I do not understand or know anything about how you do coding COMPUTERIVI why did why somebody provided this mechanism on rock or you know, like the say, manipulating those so I could be standing on the moon or whatever. I'm wondering why the option even existed for removing clothing, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, why would you do that? Make them naked? I can't believe that they didn't think of that when they were writing the code you know what I mean, you'd have to go, hey, I can use this to you know, like the old X ray glasses thing in the back of you know, boys life and tray glasses on. What are you going to do with those? Of course they didn't work. This does.
Speaker 5: Order you have to work for?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And I wonder if those X ray glasses I actually work now They probably don't. Yeah, And I guess there's another element here too, is that that GROC put this publicly on X. Is does xpair legal liability under the law or is you know, we always talk about section two thirty. It seems like that that would provide cover for this whole thing.
Speaker 5: Not necessarily be so the idea of second two thirty is that in an internet service provider, it is not liable for third party content. Okay, however, there is a card out for uh intellectual property uh court, so uh there may potential gotcha?
Speaker 2: Could could someone sue Grock or X under existing common law? Mean there's intentional inflection, emotional distress would come top of mind probate to see stuff like that. What would they need to prove?
Speaker 5: Well? I think again, I think the the uh intencial infliction probably is covered by the the section two thirty immunity because that's not an intellectual property claim that would be that would be based on the third party content. But again I think I think you could make a claim potentially for it's called a right of publicity, the violation of the right of publicity. In other words, I've got the right to choose how money images us. I also have the right to receive monetary compensation for the use of it. There's debate the language of section two thirty. I'm getting in the wheeze a little bit here, especially the language of section two thirty says that there's a carve out from the immunity for intellectual property towards UH. And there's some debate eight about whether right of publicity is technically an intellectual property UH court a different courts to go on different ways. Yeah, but so so that's that's why I said there could be rather than there is. I mean, there definitely could be, but it would depend on you know what court you're in.
Speaker 2: Jack Reiner. Unlike what's happening in Lawrenceburg with that store that that's real in this case, when a miner's images used to generate a sexualized image on AI with Grock. Does that trigger existing federal child pornography statute or is there a loophole because no actual child was photographed the act, it's the head, but it's imaginary.
Speaker 5: The recollection is that the Supreme Court dealt with that issue, you know, the the uh fake child born and I think, if my memory serves, if they found that that was not violation of child pornography. Wow, now that was however completely uh uh. The entire image was generated by a here if you're using a real faith and a fake body, that would be an interesting question. And I think that might be that seems like a different set of back.
Speaker 2: Okay, really really interesting. Where do you think this goes in the next I don't know if there's a big impetus to get this change, but my god, you know, you're talking about millions and millions of images of people, and you know, you could be on social or or you could be on and all of a sudden, you know, six months later, said hey did you see this? It's a naked picture of you, and especially if you're a woman or child, really really disturbined. Not only that, but I'm you know, someone says it to me, Hey, here's a heads up. You know that now you're teetering on child pornography here. This is going to be a really difficult thing for the courts to navigate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think I don't know if Congress will get around to it. I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Well I got to show up, Jack, for that to actually happen. So the answer, there's no, But.
Speaker 5: I think different state legislation. I would look for efforts in state to deal with it before I suspect Congress will get her ask.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then, of course, you know, you have offshore, you have different states, you have jurisdiction, and that's the whole mess entirely. There's really interesting and scary at the same time. Jack Reiner, first Amendment expert at Farruki here in Cincinnati. Always appreciate the time, brother, Thanks again.
Speaker 5: All right, man, there you go.
Speaker 2: News is on the way in just minutes. More stuff to worry about there, right, Why that looks like it's behind us. So that's good. That's good, that's good. And maybe this is it for winter? What do you say? Fingers crossed? Right just ahead? My wife is here and another in my opinion thing, I'm going to be forced as a husband to do that I want to do, and it evolves being smarter, allegedly getting smarter seven hundred She's next, Well, fight next on seven hunderd WLW.
Speaker 8: Take a look at your watch. It's Real Estate Time with Michelle Sloan Remax time agent straordinaire from Sloan sellshomes dot com. Now pay attention, then take notes. There might be a pop quiz at the on seven hundred job.
Speaker 2: Well, the worst thing in the world happened to you today, didn't it?
Speaker 10: I am naked and at work. What Yeah, I don't have my phone with me.
Speaker 2: I thought there are two things you forgot today. I forgot my clothes and I forgot my Which one's worse for you? You have that nightmare that you're going to that is a nightmare.
Speaker 10: But actually not having your phone at work is not great at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've done that before here and they're like our phones are used to open doors, log on the like. If you lose it, your screwgeer, you cannot function. I would I have said this many times. I'd rather lose my wallet than my phone.
Speaker 10: You're not wrong, I think, Yeah, I mean I'm still a nightmare. All of it the whole darn thing my day. Thankfully I had the keys to get into the office, to get into the studio so I could talk to you this morning. But I was juggling a whole lot of things. I brought Brandon to work with me today because on Thursdays he likes to come with mom to work. Bring your puppy to work day. And then yeah, I had my material that I was going to talk about.
Speaker 2: I had my hands full. I took the garbage out, I did all these things. How are you gonna scroll TikTok for hours? Now? It's a big question that's gonna happen to something you had brought up to me, and I tease this coming in as you wanted to. I don't know why you suggested this, or I don't know if it's one of your friends who suggested this, but something about getting it. You floated the blue the other day about a getting into a book club.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, in my old age, I'm trying to find make make friends, be and be part of different.
Speaker 2: I gotta be honest with you, that's some old white stuff you got going on earth there? What about Majong?
Speaker 10: That's the thing that I keep hearing is they have these majog clubs. No, I'm probably not a book club kind of gal, I will be honest with you.
Speaker 2: But to me, it's like just I read, try to read a book every night. I've been reading the same book for sixty years because I'll fall asleep. But that's the whole point of it right before bed to kind of you know, shut things down. But and I still don't know what the book is about at this point. I just read about a couple of sentence, same sentence, over and over because I'm dumb. It just here's the thing with it, Michelle, I love you, but I do not want to be in a book club for the simple reason is this. It feels like work to me, Like if you really re want a book, read a book. I just yeah, it's like school, Like I know how I was in school years and years and years ago, and that's where we met. In school, and you know kind of student. I was a terrible student, and I would I'd cram the night before. I feel like on the way to the book club meeting that I'd be looking at my ID at the stop of the store or download of cliffs notes, so I knew what I was talking about with the book because I don't really want to read this stupid book. But at the same time, and then there's this pressure, and I'm wondering if I'm going to have the nightmares that I can't get to book club and people are preventing me from getting there and taking the exam. It's like an episode of Seinfeld, it is, but it's not got a study for the book club. Yeah, I don't need pressure. There's a lot of pressure. Yeah, I you know.
Speaker 10: I was invited to participate in the book club.
Speaker 2: I thought about it for about three point five O. Thank god because you asked me about them, Like, oh, here we go. This is how you plant that seed. You know what you're doing. There's a seed planet here, here we go. You're not going to join the book club with me. I know better than that. Here's the thing. We read all the time.
Speaker 10: I mean we're always reading about I'm reading about real estate and things that are going on in my little world. You're reading about all the things, and we're constantly reading. But we don't have a lot of time for just yeah, I don't know, reading reading just for the fun of it. Eventually, AI is going to do this with stupid. We don't need to read anymore.
Speaker 2: Kids. Kids, if you're listening and you're going to school, you know what di plumbers are stupid. They don't mean anything. This is a great topic. I want to get it because we had a conversation with some friend of ours the other night about this, and it has to do with fires. And we just had a story from Cincinnati Fire Department. Nearly two dozen residential fires. We had what's six or seven fatals there, and it's a usually high, non presented number of this early and it obviously has to do with the cold weather and I imagine too people trying to stay warm. There's a huge increase in the number of fires and fatal fires for this, so the numbers are elevated compared to recent years. So what do you need to know about that? Relative to insurance and documentation and all that.
Speaker 10: Stuff, there's certainly a lot to think about. Insurance is the big thing, But if let's start with the basics, you need to have smoke detectors, working smoke detectors. A couple of those fatal fires they did not have working smoke detectors. And I find when I'm going through people's homes. A lot of people who love to cook will take these smoke detectors or unhook them because they're a pain in the butt because if you cook a lot, and you cook and you create you know, some smoke as it were, they go off all the time and they're quite sensitive. We have that problem in our house and scarce the daylights out of the dog. But smoke detectors. You have to have working smoke detectors. And there's a nice thing you can add on carbon monoxide detectors as well.
Speaker 2: Recommend cheap too. That is the big thing you can do is car Well, let me rewind at a second for and I'll put my you know, remodeler hat on here. Typically people will not think about their especially if you a house where it's wired in or writing their daisy chain, meaning they all work together, one goes off, they all go off. That's been code for a while now, and people who have homes in the last number of years have those and they generally don't check them and test them or anything. No one does that. No one's going to get up. And if you have higher ceiling old homes, the time change happen in a wee. No one's doing that. The newer ones actually have a default battery of the last about ten years, which is nice. But if you have the old ones, no one checks them and they're only good for you know, actually maybe ten years, and no one's if your house is twenty thirty years old, you're probably not checking that, and and things like cooking will trigger them. You're like this, stupid, Well, you need a new smoke detector. And the new ones are a little bit more sensitive or less sensitive, I guess I should say, And you'd be doing yourself a favor there, But no one's doing this, and I think that's the problem.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, So smoke detectors number one. I mean, you want to save lives inside of your home, you have to have them. The other thing is, when our kids were little, we always talk to them about having an escape route and a meeting place. If you have never talked to your kids about that, you know, it's a conversation. You don't want to scare them, but at the same time, it's knowledge that they need to have in their little brains. Also, when you're buying a home, if you think you're going to use a lower level room without an egress, meaning a way to get out during a fire. You know, that's that's a danger. That's a dangerous situation. And you're not supposed to have a bedroom. There's reason why I can't say there's a bedroom in the basement, even though somebody puts a bed in a room in a basement.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 10: So you need to have a lower level egress in order to claim a lower level bedroom as an actual bedroom. Need to be smart about The next step is documentation. And we were talking about our friends had a fire several years ago, and they were talking about just the nightmare that is remembering what was in your house.
Speaker 2: Before, you know, after the fire. Yeah, they had a fire in their garage and you know, paper's caught on fire, and then you have cars in there. They caught on fire and next thing that was fully involved and literally everything was gone. And then they're like, well, we got to go back from memory to try and document what we had for the insurance company said even today. That was years ago. So they're out shopping they see something going, oh man, yeah we had one of those and I forgot I have that. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, I'll tell you it's wild too. I had no idea this existed. So the insurance companies have this the software's AI and they'll take in like an image of something that's melted and you look at it, go, I have no idea what this was, trying to think where it was in the house or whatever. They'll take an image of it, and I don't what the reliability rate is, but it'll say, oh, this is a like she I think your friend had a water pick in the bathroom and could believe you forgot. You know, you don't think of those things. And they took a page. She said, I have no idea what this hunk of plastic is and it said, oh, yeah, I was a water pick. That's really really cool. But it's not going to catch everything. No it's not.
Speaker 10: And so the thought is, and again you never want or a fire to happen, but if something does happen, you have to be prepared, so you want it. The simple room, simple, simple thing is to document what you have in your house, especially if you have jewelry. And again, in your insurance policy you should be stating some of these things. But if you're going to everybody's got a phone except for me today, walk around your house room by room and take a video on your phone. It's definitely any open drawers and closets and take pictures, narrate like brand names of items that you own. Maybe you want to put some estimated value something like that and then store it, email a copy of it to yourself, to an external hard drive. Just anything that you can so that you have the documentation of what's in your home. And don't forget the garage, don't forget the lower level, the basement where you have you know, piled up all kinds of stuff. So you want to think about that because when it comes time to make a claim, you want to know exactly what you're having to claim. The other thing is too and I don't you know this is something that doing a little research about this. I'm not an insurance agent, so that's not my thing, but you definitely want to talk to your insurance agent about all of these things, like the difference between replacement cost and actual cash value.
Speaker 2: O what is that you know that? I'm like, I always get confused, what does that mean?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 4: The home? You know?
Speaker 10: Basically, if you say you're the value of your home. If I come in as your real estate agents, I say, okay, your home is worth five ndred thousand dollars. That is not the same as what it would cost to rebuild your home. So replacement cost pays what it costs today to replace an item, no deduction, no depreciation. You have higher premiums for a replacement cost for better protection. Got it okay, So if you want replacement costs, it's going to cost you a little bit more on your insurance policy. Then the actual cash value pays the replacement cost minus depreciation. So if you're looking at things like your roof, if your roof is twenty years old, you're not going to get the same as a replacement new roof. You're not going to get the full whatever it is fifteen twenty thousand dollars. So your actual cash value, your premiums may be lower, but you're not going to get everything to rebuild what you have.
Speaker 2: So that's a tough decision. If your homeowners have cost everything's going up, and maybe you're new a you're like, okay, God for allow, hord, Well, I can't afford the replacement cost. I'll do ACV, but God forbid, if something happens, you're going to be out of pocket a lot.
Speaker 10: It's a lower premium much smaller payout. So if you have the ACB and you're like, oh, my insurance rate it's really really good, Well, you're probably looking at actual cash value rather than replacement costs. So that's something you absolutely need to think about. It's part of that self decision, the big picture. When you're buying a home. How do you ensure yourself and how do you make sure that that investment, no matter what happens, if there's a tragedy of some kind, you are prepared.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: The other thing is you know real quick. I will say this, So if thank you and you're like, hey, I can only afford ACV, I get it. But you should be more diligent about making sure that the smoke detectors are up to date. There's carbon monoxide detectors, that you know that the sump pump is working, and you put a battery back up in because you're going to be out a lot of money if something like that happens.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, here's something I never even thought of either. If you have a major upgrade, I'm always talking about, make sure that you update your kitchens, your bathrooms. If you add you're gonna do have an EV charger in the garage. Whatever you're gonna do, make sure that your insurance carrier knows because if you didn't disclose that you have a new fifty thousand dollars kitchen, okay, they're just gonna go on the value of what you know, an old kitchen, They're not going to give you that upgrade. So when you have major upgrades, make sure that you're telling and talking to your insurance agent. A lot of people and you know, our brother in law used to be my brother in law. Your brother was an insurance agent for a long time, and you know we talked to him all the time, but you don't usually talk to your insurance agent. If you talk to your insurance agent once a year, that's probably good enough. But at the same time, you should be if you haven't talked to your insurance agent for five years or more, maybe you need to make a phone call. Or if you have no idea who your insurance agent is, again, you could be setting yourself up because if you have to make a claim and you have no not reviewed your policy for a long time, chances are you are not going to have the coverage that you need to really replace what you have in your home. So that's really important.
Speaker 2: Okay, gotcha? Bottom line here, what should you do at least once a year.
Speaker 10: At least once a year, you want to go through your deck page, the page that says you know how much the value is on your home? Are you doing replacement cost? What do you have in your home, what kind of protections are in your home? How many updates you've done? So talk to your real estate Yeah, talk to your real estate agent. No, talk to your insurance agent at least once a year and review your policy.
Speaker 2: So you know what you've got.
Speaker 10: And it is important because if you have a and we talked about subpump failure, know what you have, know what the add ons are, because you know, you may get all of these documents and I know we're probably running against the clock here, but you may be getting like piles and piles of documents in the mail. Your insurance company is making changes to your policy. And if you just say, oh, it's just another it's another it's junk mail, it's just another bs whatever, pay attention to that because they could be changing the way that they're doing business, therefore affecting your bottom line.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, So make sure you do that. And also the documentation thing. You know, get your everyone's got a camera on their phone, no excuses. You go in your video and then you're probably going to take that and if you can get out on the flash drive and store it somewhere out of your house or somewhere where if God forbid there is a fire or something like that, you have access to it at work. Maybe you know you're going to be able to get into your email put it in a cloud. Be the other thing too, but you know, and you know we haven't done it yet, so or just as guilty. At some point I'm going to do that. So maybe next big rainy day I'll walk through and document everything. But the other thing too is you probably got updated a lot because you are always getting stuff and stuff's going out, So it'd probably save a lot of time, a lot of headache and heartache later on. God forbid, something always has happened, especially with the rash of fires we've had this year or so far. My wife, Michelle Sloanan sales Holmes dot Com open House show that is via the iHeartRadio app on the podcasts as well as on YouTube as well. She's a run main flip Remax time all right, love you, go go. Why don't you do this? If you really want to get in the book club, why don't you start reading a book and see how they about the whole book club thing. They tell me what I'm supposed to read. Come on, come on, man, all right, I'm glad we're united Fineland. I was sweating it for a second. Oh my god, she's gonna get me sign up for something else. I don't want to do. My wife, I love dearly, but try to avoid because of things like this. I'll see you later. You have a great day. Go find your phone, go hit my find my phone feature. Worst feeling in the world. Right, Willie is on the way Next Afternoons on the Home of the Red seven hundred w W Cincinnati,