Speaker 1: The following takes place between seven pm and eight pm.
Speaker 2: All right, here we go seven oh six, seven hundred WLW Welcome in RNL Carrier Sports Talk, presented by Kelsey Cherfila. I'm last calst. You're glad to have you here. I don't know that two hours is going to be enough. Tonight it will include you with a personal invite to the phones in a bit, a couple of college basketball coaches on this date, and more. What do you say we get to it. Let's start with some headlines the Bengals. We'll get back on the practice field tomorrow and get to work on the Dolphins for Sunday in Miami. The Athletics Paul Dayner Junior report Zach Taylor actually has two more years left on his contract after this year, not one is previously believed. Zach quietly got an extension after the twenty twenty two AFC Championship game. In transactional news today, the Bengals claimed wide receiver Keyshawn Williams claimed him off waivers from the Steelers. He appeared in eight games this year with Pittsburgh, returned eleven punts, returned eighteen kickoffs. He was waived by the Steelers yesterday. The Bengals returner Charlie Jones, dealing with an ankle issue. Asked today by reporters if he's considering replacing quarterback two at tag of Ola, Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said, quote, everything's on the table. Didn't play well last night. Zach Wilson and Quinn Ewers are options on the Dolphins roster. Stay tuned. College football, Bearcats working on Navy and the Liberty Bowl January twond defensive back or Monny Arnold and Willie Goodwin are entering the transfer portal. I believe unless somebody has entered within the last few minutes, that's seven Bearcats in the portal, their quarterback Brendan Sorosby, and six other defensive backs. The quarterbacks coach has departed, and two front office people took jobs in other programs. Red's news on a couple of different fronts to get to in a second, let.
Speaker 3: Me give you college basketball one.
Speaker 2: Looking at the scoreboard update, we will monitor tonight Louisville and Tennessee, Miami and Wright State dating against Florida State and Ohio University versus Ohio Wesleyan. You see, women are underway at fifth third Arena Versus Howard. Catch the action on fifty five karc as you heard off the top and perhaps during Red's hot Stove. The Red's Hall of Fame class of twenty twenty six announced today. It includes four members Brandon Phillips, Aaron Harang, Reggie Sanders, and Loop Panella. The inductees will be honored April twenty fourth through the twenty sixth transactional News for the Reds today, they have, according to reports, left handed reliever Caleb Ferguson, twenty nine years old. It's reportedly a one year deal. Last season, pitching for the Pirates and the Mets, appeared in seventy games with an earned run average of three point five eight. He keeps the ball in the ballpark, just two home runs allowed it over sixty five innings. Pitched. Caleb Ferguson, left hander to the bullpen. One hundred days to Red's opening day, hockey Blue Jackets just underway looking to get back on track Versus Anaheim tonight, Columbus has dropped five straight. They've been beat up physically and in the standings for those in regulation. Anderson High School football coach Evan Dryer from Anderson, of course, the winner of the Paul Brown Excellencing Coaching Award. The award has been given annually by the Bengals since two thousand and two. It honors outstanding high school football coaches in the region and includes a ten thousand dollars Bengals donation to Anderson High School's athletic department. Dryer led the Raptors to a fourteen and one final record, two straight appearances now in the Division two State championship game. And Nick Saban, former Alabama coach, now a minority owner of the NHL Nashville Predators.
Speaker 3: How about that?
Speaker 2: Those are some of your headlines. Remember if you ever missed the show, miss an episode, Miss Bengals Lied last night, me lab players coaches discussion about what exactly took place on Sunday. Catch it in podcast form through the sports Talk podcast seven hundred WLW dot com and the iHeartRadio app podcast. Presented by Modern Office Methods. We love Modern Office Methods your local authorized RICO dealer specializing in document management. With mom your documents are securely stored so you're always protected. Digitized today and prepare your business for unexpected risk. Visit momnet dot com. All right on the dock at tonight, guest wise around seven thirty five, Darren Horne, we will Norse up with Coach Horror, the head coach or basketball coach of the NKU Norse Big One tomorrow night Truz Doreena against Oakland eight O six. Richard Pattino talks Xavier Musketeer basketball in advance of the Big East opener tomorrow night against Creighton. But in and around that, you on a couple of different fronts, and let's start here. The previous hour of Red's Hot Stove was filled with guests and conversation about the Reds Hall of Fame. If you were tuned in, you heard Aaron Harang, you heard Reggie Sanders, you heard Rick Walls, you heard Marty Brenneman. I want to hear from you. I want to celebrate these four individuals, Brandon Phillips and Aaron Harang, and Reggie Sanders and Lou Panela. If you have a story, a moment, a memory, a game, by all means five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, one, eight hundred the Big One. If you'd like to jump in, man four A Brandon Phillips for my money. The best defensive base second baseman I've seen in Red's history. All due respect to Joe Morgan, but Brandon Phillips had a shortstop's arm playing second base. He did it with style and flair, and there was a little bit of hot dog to him, and some relish on that hot dog. He had pop. He was a fan favorite. He would show up here, there, and everywhere out of the blue, four gold gloves, a Silver Slugger, three time All Star, Brandon Phillips was. It was masterful in the field and again to be playing the second base position. Most guys play second base because they don't have the arm to play shortstop. He had the arm to play shortstop. He happened to be at second base. He was something to watch. Aaron Harang consistent, durable, reliable, pitched on some bad teams. If you go back to two thousand and six, Aaron Harang led the National League in wins. He led the National League in starts, in complete games, and in strikeouts, and did not get a single vote for the Cy Young. The next year he did get votes for the Cy Young. I want to talk Aaron Harang and I want to talk Brandon Phillips. I want to talk Reggie Sanders because, for my money, Reggie Sanders is among a handful of the most underrated Reds in franchise history. I think Reggie Sanders is one of the most underrated players in baseball history. He's in a very exclusive club. There are only eight players in the history of the game with at least three hundred home runs and three hundred stolen bases. Let me repeat that, only eight in the history of the game. I want to know that company. Barry Bonds, Bobby Bonds, Willie Mays, Alex Rodriguez, Steve Finley, Andre Dawson, Carlos Beltran, and Reggie Sanders eight all time. Jose Ramirez this coming season for the Guardians, will join that ex exclusive company. I think, sadly, Reggie Sanders the perception, the fan perception of Reggie Sanders is skewed by the postseason of nineteen ninety five. He had a tremendous, fabulous nineteen ninety six or nineteen ninety five regular season.
Speaker 3: His postseason was a nightmare.
Speaker 2: And I think unfortunately people tend to remember that before they remember what he did for his career. Look at his time with the Reds, look at his time as a major leaguer over seventeen seasons.
Speaker 3: And then there's Lou Penela. Remember what Lou walked into.
Speaker 2: He walked in on the heels of the chaos involving Pete and the investigation and the scandal and the gambling under Pete. They had finished second, second, second, second, four years in a row and second. Then came the controversy and the investigation and the chaos and the suspension and they finished fifth that year. Then Lou comes in very first season Wire to Wire only managed three years. Years. But when's the World Series? Let's spend some time talking Brandon and Aaron and Reggie and Lou. Let me open up the lines five one, three, seven, four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred, the big One. When you hear those names, what do you think of? What moments, what memories? Let's kind of celebrate. We got four going into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 3: We'll hear from you.
Speaker 4: Next.
Speaker 2: It's RNL Carrier Sports Talk. It is presented by Kelsey Chevallet and right here on seven hundred WLW seven twenty one seven hundred WLWRNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. My guys, stop buying. Tell him.
Speaker 3: I said, Hey, they will take care of you.
Speaker 4: I'm on X.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to contribute to our conversation about the four new Reds Hall of Famers Atlance Mecaalis Terra on X where you want to jump in by phone? By all means five one, three, seven, four nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred the big one. Let's talk Hall of Famers and BP let's head to Hamilton. Eric, you were on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: I'm Cornan on Lance.
Speaker 2: You tell me how about Bray Phillips Reds Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: I grew up.
Speaker 5: I'm in my late thirties. I grew up on Sean Casey, Brandon Phillips, Aaron Harang.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 5: That was the class for me. And I went to a Bengals game in probably twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen, and Brandon Phillips was there.
Speaker 6: It was a rainy game.
Speaker 5: I had on my Camo rain gear because I'm a deer hut and walk up Brandon Phillips and he goes, what are you doing out here killing babies? And he gave me a handshake, took a photo with me, and I was like he was the most down the earth dude I've ever met, and he was the baddest second baseman I've ever watched. Just the back flips, the just all the all the plays he's made, just turning plays behind the back, under the leg all that. I mean, he's a Savannah bananas essentially.
Speaker 2: He made it look easy, he made it look smooth, and he always he always paid respect to the fans. The fans loved him, and he loved the fans back. And that's what made Brandon Phillips who he is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's he's my all time favorite player, that dude BP and he and he was he literally he's like, well, you know when I heard killing Bambi Camo, I had Cama rang here on because it was a rainy bang and he were on the bud like that and he didn't care. I mean, no worries in the world, no security, just hanging out with the fans.
Speaker 4: It was. It was the coolest thing.
Speaker 3: That's Brandon. Hey, Eric, thanks for listening, Thanks for calling.
Speaker 4: All right, thanks Lance, all.
Speaker 2: Right, that's what I'm looking for some stories. You know what else I think of when I think of Brandon Phillips. There was a consistency to him, to the point of it was kind of eerie. In twenty ten he hit eighteen home runs. In twenty eleven he hit eighteen home runs, in twenty twelve, eighteen home runs. And in twenty let's see, no, it was what years? It was ten, eleven, twelve and thirteen, four straight years he hit eighteen home runs. How about that for consistency doubles by thirty thirty three, thirty eight thirty. That was batting average around the mid two seventies. That was Brandon Phillips at the plate and in the field, slick among the modern era Reds. That's post nineteen hundred. Among second basements, he leads in hits, doubles, homers, ribis three time All Star, four Gold Gloves, Silver Slugger, voted red ZMVP three times, lead National League second basement and fielding percentage three times, assist three times, put outs twice. His rank top ten all time in Red's history in the following categories games, runs, hits, doubles, twelfth all time, in homers, eleventh all time in Ribby's fifteenth all time in steels thirty thirty season in two thousand and seven, part of the two thousand and ten twelve and thirteen playoff teams. And I will also say this, when I think of Brandon Phillips, I think of Wayne Krivsky. And I've always thought that Wayne Krivsky never got the respected appreciation that he deserved in his time here former Reds general manager.
Speaker 3: It was Wayne.
Speaker 2: Krivsky who swooped in first week in April two thousand and six. The Cleveland Indians had dfade Brandon Phillips, designated him for assignment. They had ten days to trade him or release him, and Wayne Krivsky swoops in and offers a player to be named later to get Brandon Phillips, classic change of scenery guy. He and the Indians at the time didn't see eye to eye. You know, maybe that that style and flash and pizzazz, a little bit of hot dog getting rubbed some people the wrong way, and he was a guy who was in need of a change of scenery. Incomes Walt Jockety. Player to be named later was actually not named until June of that year. It was a pitcher named Jeff Stevens, and Jeff Stevens eventually made it to the Big Legs, pitched a little bit, a little bit more than a cup of coffee, but compared to trast what Brandon Phillips did for this team. And oh, by the way, Wayne Krivsky traded Willie Mopana to get Bronson Arroyo. So Wayne Krivsky in those two trades acquired two Red's Hall of famers. Not to che Aaron Harang for his career in two thousand and six, I mentioned, for whatever reason, he didn't get a single Cy Young vote. He led the National League and wins sixteen and eleven. He made thirty five starts. Oh can you imagine the value of that today through two hundred and thirty four innings, six complete games, and led the National League in shutouts. He faced more batters than anybody else in the National League that year, didn't get a vote for Cy Young. The next year he comes back, he goes sixteen and six and he finished fourth in cy Young through two hundred and thirty one innings. How much do you think that would be worth in this day and age to have a starting pitcher in back to back seasons, actually in a three season sequence through two hundred and eleven innings, two hundred and thirty four and two hundred and thirty one. In fact, his cy young year of seven. Let me pull that up. He finishes behind Jake Peavey San Diego, Brandon w Web Arizona Pride of Ashland, Kentucky, and Brad Penny of the Dodgers. They went one, two, three, Aaron Harang winds up four. It's hard not to think of Aaron Harang and think of I believe it was two thousand and eight that season the Reds played. I'll never forget this because I was sitting at what was it called at that point, the Crown whatever the Downtown Arena was called at that point, and I was watching the Cincinnati Cyclones play on a Sunday night in the playoffs, and I had my headphones listening to the Reds game because the Reds Padres had gone eighteen innings in San Diego that day and the game running so long. I just I was following, but we were going into the arena to watch the game, so I'm listening to it. And that's the game that Dusty Baker turned and used Harangu somewhere an extra innings, and then the sequencing was he brought him back, I want to say, two days later to make his normal start, and then like four days later he picked again. It was a sequence of a lot of pitches and a lot of innings in a short amount of time, and it had a tremendous negative effect on Aaron Harang. Some would say it kind of changed the trajectory of his career for at least a bit. He did wind up pitching, geez, how many more years? Eight nine more years? He wasn't quite the same. Did win fourteen for San Diego three years later, but it took him a while, and clearly that had an impact on him in the short term. But I will always remember that eighteen inning game, Reds, Podres, Dusty and Aaron Harang. Congratulations to Aaron, who is in the Hall of Fame tonight, along with Reggie Sanders, who I want to get to, and lou Panella, who I want to get to. Do me a favor and we'll get a check on news and Darren Horn's gonna check in talk a little norse. Do me a favor and look up to go to Baseball Reference and Baseball Reference as a website that will allow you to pull up the career page of every player whoever appeared in a Major League baseball game. Just look up Reggie Sanders, look up his career, and I think it's one of those looks you'll say, oh, wait a minute, I didn't realize he had that kind of career. I mean, we're talking over three hundred doubles, over three hundred homers, and over three hundred steals. And I know, I know he struggled in ninety five in the postseason, but look at that regular season in ninety five as well, over one hundred and thirty three games that As we continue, I want to spend a little bit more time with you celebrating these four players tonight with your reaction after we check news RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW WLWRNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. I'm LANs for countle Hey. Thanks for hanging out tonight. Let's talk some hoops truest a reign of the site for a Horizon League showdown tomorrow night. They're Red Hot Norse hosting Oakland. Bring a stuffed toy for a postgame Teddy Bear us and could beat for prizes. It's done in partnership with Meyer and Toys for tot's always a cool scene. The Norse of nine and three overall, one in one in league play. They are undefeated seven to zero at home going into the weekend.
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 2: How about that? I love stats. Going into the weekend, the Norse were the only team in the country with three players that had scored at least one hundred and seventy points this year. How about that? For more on the Norse, let's Norris up welcome in their head coach. Friend of the show. We love talking with them. That would be Darren Horne. How are you doing great?
Speaker 4: Lance? Thanks for having me man.
Speaker 2: Thanks for catching up with me tonight. I look today, you guys are averaging almost eighty six points a game. That's eleven more points per game than any team you've had.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 2: What's gotten into your offense this year?
Speaker 4: Better players?
Speaker 8: We just we just got more guys that not only can score the ball, Lance, but I think are willing passers that have basketball lot Q to make the right next and we're just we're getting a lot more easy shots.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 8: The other thing about that is, you know we're still top. You know it changes every day, but as of Sunday night, top ten in the country, and turnover percentage is still top fifteen and steals percentage, so our defense is leading to a lot of transition, which is easy baskets.
Speaker 2: LJ wells ten games this year with at least ten points in five boards. That's top ten in the country. I've heard you refer to him when talking with Jim and Rick on the post game as a grown man game. It really is. And he's a finisher for you guys, isn't he.
Speaker 4: He really has been.
Speaker 8: And so proud of LJ because the real truth is that he hasn't been that his whole career. Right, We've seen flashes, but we haven't seen this kind of consistency or just some games flat out dominance from him.
Speaker 4: And just so proud of the growth.
Speaker 8: He's made and the commitment that he's made to playing so aggressively and really impacting winning with his presence on the interior.
Speaker 4: And again, I think.
Speaker 8: A big part of our offensive success is because he's playing the five for us. But this is a guy that can pop out on the floor and handle the ball and make reads and make the right passes and knock down some shots as well.
Speaker 2: In the Saturday when you had five guys score at least twelve points and record a steal that never been done in your Division one era, and you kind of alluded to it. It's not a one man show. I think you've got four guys averaging between thirteen and eighteen points. There's contributions coming from all different directions.
Speaker 8: Yeah, we've been really balanced Lance, you know, and you know we were talking about as a staff today, we've got four guys that if they got twenty points up given night, wouldn't wouldn't really be that big a deal, right, you know, So when you go into game with that and then maybe maybe a fifth and Taitoser who's been outstanding, you know, when you go to a game with that, I do think it's been harder for teams to focus on one guy. You know, there's been a lot of that in the past where we're actually very interested for the game to mo on some other games, important league play, where teams really try to focus on taking out a Marquis Warwick or a Trey Robinson or and Sam Vincent.
Speaker 4: That's that's much harder to do with this team because of the balance that we have.
Speaker 2: I noticed you had forty four in the paint against Bellerman's Saturday, you had forty in the paint against Cleveland State. I was reading your former player, David Wassler covers you guys for North's Illustrated, and he referred to it as a paint first mindset. You guys can pound that area, can't you.
Speaker 8: Well, we're trying to write, you know, we want to do that in transition on post speeds and then and then even inside out on our threes. And one of the things that's leading to is is better offensive rebounding as well, so a lot of times it's up on paint points putbacks.
Speaker 2: Also, you're eleven games in. Through those eleven, have you gotten a I would assume a better feel of of combos and subs and and getting guys on the court who give you what you need in that moment.
Speaker 8: You know, I think we're getting there, and we're getting there a little student maybe than we have in years past. You know, still learning some stuff in terms of you know, where strengths and weaknesses are with certain combinations in the game. But the biggest thing is we've had pretty good consistency from individuals. You know, I think Donovan Rackett to Nahari who we just called Donny r because his last name is so hard to pronounce. You know, it's been a good example of that. He's a guy that's come in. I think he's shooting like eighty percent from the field because he's happy to just run the floor and finish drop offs and get offensive rebound put back. And he's really impacted winning for us, you know, in a seventh to eighth manon roll and so I think, you know, all of those things are starting to add up when we're getting a good feel for rotations and then putting God in the best possible situations for them to be successful.
Speaker 2: You get Oakland tomorrow night at home for the showdown. They're led by their wily veteran and Greg Camp, who's in is what forty second year. They're averaging eighty four a game. They dropped ninety eight on Toledo one hundred and one and Purdue fort Wayne ninety five on Montana.
Speaker 3: They put points on the board as.
Speaker 4: Well, So it's really interesting.
Speaker 8: And you know, over his career that's been can't steal right, like their teams are going to score for sure.
Speaker 4: In the last few years, he's gone to a zone of his own that has has.
Speaker 8: Made them better defensively and more focused on pounding the ball inside. But this team is playing extremely fast. He got a couple of really dynamic guards, and they still have good size and physicality on the interior. So really going to be the challenge for us to not only slow them down, but to handle their their size and the physicality around the basket.
Speaker 2: I noticed this earlier today. I don't want to leave it out. It's it's not x's and o's, but it's off the court. It's really cool. Your team has partnered with Seven Hills Church and your players delivered gifts to local schools today. What a cool way to give back to the community.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, our guy have really done a good job of that this year that I think this is maybe our third project partnering with Seven Hills who's done such a phenomenal job.
Speaker 4: Of serving the community.
Speaker 8: And to be able to give back the kids and help them have a good Christmas with a couple of elementary schools this morning. It's it's, you know, something that's important to us. You know, the Northern Kentucky community means so much to us and is really the reason we have a program and and and why our guys want to be a part of it is because the Norse nation and to be able to give back in our area means a lot. And quite honestly, Lance and in today's college basketball world, where you know, these guys are still in full scholarship and don't how many expenses but getting checks every month, and you know, a good reminder for them to uh have an appreciation for how great thankful they are to uh be playing college basketball at a winning program and getting paid and h be reminded, especially in this time of the year, the holiday season, right how important it is to think others can get back.
Speaker 2: Well said absolutely. I hesitate to look ahead. I know you don't want to do that. But Sunday, another home game. You get Chris Mack in College of Charleston. We talked about and it's a noon tip. We talked about this back in the preseason. But remind me, how did that game come about? Did you you match up with Chris Mack and Charleston?
Speaker 8: You know, it was a game that neither one of us wanted to play. We were desperate to finish our schedules. I don't think either one really wanted to play a program of our qualities. But I think Chris got talked into it because you thought, well, at least the next year when I come home, I could just stay home for Christmas, right, So, uh, you know, we put the game right before Christmas, and you know, if I could ran for a second, Lance, Yeah, you know when you talk about attendance, you know, you always hear things like, well, you're not fun to watch, and we're averaging eighty five points a game, and well if we were just winning, coach, and you know, we're nine in three and you know, possession away from being ten and two, and well, you know, it's just your schedule is better.
Speaker 4: And you know this week we've got you.
Speaker 8: Know, one of the other premiere program in our league coming in and I think one of the premiere mid majors in all of college basketball. When you talk about success over the last twenty years and the resources and what they put into it and then IL and all those things, I mean, Charleston is really the kind of program that all of us are striving to be. And so we've checked all the boxes, and man, we need truus a Reno as full as possible for both of those games to really help our guys and what's going to be two really good basketball games.
Speaker 2: To watch tomorrow night Oakland Sunday College at Charleston. Tickets Nkunorse dot com. It is always great here in your voice. Always enjoy our conversations. You know you're welcome anytime, and best of luck tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: Thanks for mean Lance, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks Coach, there you go, Darren Horne, head coach of the Norse.
Speaker 3: The norsing up.
Speaker 2: They're red hot, nine and three, one in one in late play seven and oh at home and would like the benefit of the home crowd tomorrow night as they try to get to eight and oh at home in a showdown versus Oakland averaging eighty nearly eighty six points a game at Oakland averaging eighty four points a game. Holy cal wonder what the over under total on that game is. Later on, after the eight o'clock news, we'll talk with Richard Patino in advance of the Musketeers opening Big East play tomorrow night. But more coming up next of your reaction, appreciation for and memory shared of the four new Reds Hall of Famers. As we roll on with RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW close in it on eight o'clock, Did you check on news in about ten minutes? Ten minutes RNL Carrier Sportstock presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. Kelsey Chevrolet lighting up the season with big savings, Joy zero percent APR and select News. Chevy's in up to fifteen hundred trade in assistance plus the best year in lease specials. You don't want to miss kelseyshev dot com always good, catching up with Darren Horn talking about the Norse. Looking forward to catching up with Richard Patino talking Musketeers. At about eight oh five, for the moment, we celebrate the four newest members of the Reds Hall of Fame, Brandon Phillips, Aaron Harang, Reggie Sanders and Lou Panela. And from more on that, we head back to the phones. Jeff, Welcome to Sports Talk. What's on your mind?
Speaker 9: Well, good evening, good evening. I'm usually content to just listen, but I felt i'd call him this time. You brought up the thing about Aaron Harang in that San Diego game, and I had occasion to actually speak with him at Redsfest and probably twenty nineteen, and I said, you know, I just have to tell you that I always felt kind of sorry for you because, you know, your career kind of trended downward from that game onward. And he told me, you said it was really everybody blames that on Dusty. He said it was really on him because he said he could do it. You know, he pitched six innings in that game and then came back probably too soon afterwards, and that that could very well, you know, be why you know, things happened as they subsequently did. So I thought that was interesting. I haven't heard that from any other source other than him, right, I don't know that. I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's great insight, and that's kind of a look at who and what he was as a pitcher. He was always willing to take the ball. He had made thirty starts a year, two hundred innings because he wanted to pitch, and when his team needed him on that day and things got very desperate for pitching.
Speaker 9: On that I don't think there was anybody else even available on the bullten at that point. It was. It was almost good that Adrian Gonzalez hit that home run and ended the game.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, that's a great point.
Speaker 9: But yeah, I mean, I told I thought kind of bad for him, and he said, well, you know, it's really on him.
Speaker 2: On Dusty, that's great insight. Thank you for calling tonight. Okay, thank you, all right, joy your evening.
Speaker 3: I like the additional information. I just pulled up my notes on that game.
Speaker 2: Made the twenty fifth, two thousand and eight eighteen innings Padres win twelve to eight. The Cyclones lost to the Las Vegas Wranglers won nothing in the Kelly Cup playoffs. I was listening to the game from US Bank Arena at the time almost six hours. Red's used ten pitchers, three starting pitchers. The teams combined to throw five hundred and eighty one pitches that day, three hundred and two by the Reds, two hundred and seventy nine by the Padres. Adrian Gonzalezes, the caller reference, hit the home run off Edinson Volcz at the bottom of the eighteenth. Over the first twelve innings, Dusty used Matt Bellile for four and a third and then he used seven relievers, and having run out of pitchers, he turned to Harangu in the thirteenth. He'd pitched two pitching two days after his previous start, Aaron went four innings, allowed no runs, struck out nine through sixty three pitches, and then three days later made his regular start against the Padres. Also in that game, Corey Patterson went oh for eight edwin and Carnassi owned two for nine. Ken Griffey Junior and Brandon had two hits. Joey Vado double switched into the game in the ninth inning, started the game on the bench day of rest, came off the bench in the ninth, wound up with three hits, and Adam Dunn hit his thirteenth home run of the year in that game versus Greg Maddox. Bronson, who had beat the Pidres the previous night, had a pinch hit single with two outs in the thirteenth and Paul Baco, the last Reds position player, pinch hit for Harangu and struck out with the bases loaded to end the top of the seventeenth. On the day, the Padres struck out nineteen times and Tony Clark, who is currently the executive director of the Baseball Players Association, pinch hit in that game. It all happened in the uh the Aaron Harangu game. The Reds and Padres back in two thousand and eight, back out to the phones and into the Reds conversation. Heck yeah in Tennessee. Hey Jeff, welcome to sports talk.
Speaker 7: Hey Ansa, thanks much for taking Mikyle. I like you, but at ease my mind o something.
Speaker 10: Do you see the Reds making a major moved?
Speaker 9: I do not.
Speaker 2: They'll make some moves, but they won't be major moves.
Speaker 9: There.
Speaker 2: They took their shot with Kyle Schwarber, but that will be their their big attempt at a move. The rest will be filling in and managing the payroll to piece this together.
Speaker 4: You don't thank you? What about Marcelo was in? Would they bring in somebody like that?
Speaker 2: I would hope they could bring in somebody better than him. I mean, his numbers really dropped off last year. He's older, he'd be down my pecking order of possibilities.
Speaker 4: Well, I heard him.
Speaker 7: I heard him talking about at the Catalanos. Uh one way or another, they said that that he would uh be released, you know, uh.
Speaker 4: Red would take a change on trying to resign him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's interesting.
Speaker 2: He's gonna make a lot of money this year and and he's fallen out of favor in Philadelphia, and Uh, it may be trade, it may be release.
Speaker 3: Uh, he's thirty three.
Speaker 2: He's got a little bit of pop still in him. He liked it when he was here. They liked him. Maybe it's just he he really can't play the field anymore.
Speaker 3: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just I just wish the Reds were in position to add better talent than the Nick Costianos. But ultimately they may have to settle for somebody like Costianos.
Speaker 7: Well, I do tell you I've been following them, you know, for sixty nine years. I sure have been full for sixty nine years. And I've been with you know when when the when they've been down, you know, been with them, you know when uh when they one of those two uh world series.
Speaker 4: And I'm not giving up. I'm I'm not giving up on them.
Speaker 7: You know, my dad, when you set out, you sit out on ports on uh and and listen to you know where they sent out in La. You know, the game didn't start to Tednacop. But we set out, we set our reports in the summertime and and.
Speaker 4: And listen to them. Uh.
Speaker 7: Uh the game go off that one on one thirty, we'd say, right after all reports and listen to them.
Speaker 4: Sure would, But I'm.
Speaker 7: Just I'm just wondering, though, if you see him said making a major movie, you don't think that will.
Speaker 2: I think they'll. They'll make some They have to make some moves. They just won't be uh big time moves. It won't be the moves that uh, I think everybody wants. But they got to fill out the roster and need to upgrade in some ways. So Jeff hanging there, and I appreciate you calling as always.
Speaker 4: Okay, bro, thank you, all right, let them back.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I mean, remember, unless they trade a starting pitcher, they've only got five to ten million dollars to play with in that range. Now, having said that, watch they may turn around and trade Brady Singer and free up some money. But if you're expecting big big, they to whatever extent they called their shot with Kyle Schorber, that was big, They're not doing anything close to that with anybody else. They're just not going to you know, I'm looking at Reggie Sanders here. Reggie Sanders in that ninety five season for the Reds thirty six doubles, twenty eight homers, ninety nine ribies, and thirty six steals. He was an All Star. He hit three to oh seven. His on base percentage was almost four hundred that year. He finished sixth in the MVP voting. He had years with the Reds where heck, you go two years earlier. We're talking twenty five year old Reggie Sanders. He hit twenty homers, drove in eighty three, and stole twenty seven. He had a season with seventeen homers nineteen homers, played with eight different teams in his career and wound up with three hundred and five homers and three hundred and four It was three hundred and four stolen bases when it was all said and done. Seventh round draft pick, originally by the Reds, and finished fourth in Rookie of the Year when he came up in first came up in ninety one, got in a couple of games, then in ninety two his first full season, played one hundred and sixteen games. But talk about a combination of speed and power and had an arm and right field and yeah, I know, it's tough to not think of Regie Sanders and not think of nineteen ninety five postseason Braves and Dodgers. He went, you know, four for twenty eight with nineteen strikeouts somewhere in that neighborhood. I don't think I have the stomach to look up the numbers, but he was so much more than that. Well here it is four for twenty nine with nineteen strikeouts in the ninety five postseason against the Dodgers and then the Braves. But man, there was so much more to Regis centers, and that's why I am so happy tonight he has been recognized as a Reds Hall of Famer. Up next, we'll recognize the Musketeers. How's that for a segue? Richard Patino ahead and more of your calls. RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The following takes place between eight pm and nine pm.
Speaker 2: All right, let's keep it moving. Eight o'clock hour underway, eight oh six to be precise. A Lance McAllister, thanks for hanging out checking in tonight. We've talks of breads. Let's talk some Xavier Musketeers. Savier takes a five game winning streak into their big East opener tomorrow night, Sentaz Center the place to be for hoops. They take on Creighton six point thirty with the tip from around that, let's go straight to the sores. Welcome in the head coach Xavier Musketeers. That would be Richard Patino coach. How are we doing tonight?
Speaker 10: Doing great? Thanks for having me Lace, you.
Speaker 2: Got to good catch it up. So you guys finish the non conference eight and three. I know you're still a work in progress, but man, that pivot and change that you guys you made with this group on the fly in the Charleston Classic, it's got to be pretty satisfying and encouraging.
Speaker 11: I think it kind of you know, obviously had kind of a soberinging loss for Santa Clara at home, didn't play well. They're a good team, but we played very poorly and we had to kind of recalibrate everything. And we came back played really really well.
Speaker 10: Versus I think it was Old Dominion at home, and then.
Speaker 11: We went to Iowa and actually played well those four we lost. There was some moments there was like, okay, we may have something here. Came back played really well Versul Tomion. But I thought Charleston really really kind of energized us. Georgie is a very talented team. We really had the game one, they may a tough shot right at the end and then played great for West Virginia.
Speaker 10: And it's just been the momentum has been.
Speaker 11: Really good, and it's just it's really attitude and effort. You know, we've got high character guys in the locker room. They're working really hard in practice, and it's it's cool to see just kind of the confidence building.
Speaker 3: I've noticed that.
Speaker 2: I've heard your guys talk about being connected on the court off the court. When you're dealing with all new guys from all parts of the country, that's not easy. That's not always the case.
Speaker 11: No, And you know, it really starts with just the type of people that you you know, it's hard to even call it recruiting anymore, right, but I mean the people that you bring in in a really cool moment. Last night, I had my radio show, but one of our walk ons, Henry, had his jersey retired, and we brought it up and just said, hey, if you could make it, that would be great. And we had two guys that had a previous engagement that everybody else went to it. And it just shows you like they're a very very tight knit group. You know, it's not always the most important thing off the court.
Speaker 10: Sometimes that can.
Speaker 11: Be a little bit overrated, but you certainly can feel it with these guys. There's a respect level. You know, the UC game, it's a lot for both teams. But what it does do is it kind of brings you together. Because that was kind of like the first moment where you're you're fighting for xavior.
Speaker 3: So it was cool to see your team.
Speaker 2: A couple of numbers that pop off the page that have to make you very happy. Your your team share rate and protect rate is off the charts. I mean, you guys share the ball, and man, they value the possession of the ball, don't they.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I don't know if it changed, but this morning we were number one in the country and it's just a turnable percentage on Ken Palm. So where are the one or two in all those categories?
Speaker 4: Which is great.
Speaker 10: I mean people kind of ask me. I've had some coaches reach out like, oh, what what are you doing?
Speaker 11: And I'm like, honestly, I'm playing guys who are fundamentally sound like I mean, we do some passing girls, we do some you know, footwork, drill and.
Speaker 10: Everything like that, but it really is.
Speaker 11: It's contagious right now, you know our practices sometimes we overpass, but they're all kind of trying to one up each other with sharing the ball.
Speaker 10: The assist now some of it.
Speaker 11: As you shoot a lot of jump shots, you're going to get assisted baskets. But I just think when you're playing like you play a team like you see you have four turnovers. We come back the next game versus Missouri State, who's really really.
Speaker 10: Physical defense, you only have six.
Speaker 11: I mean for us, I mean we're not necessarily the most athletic team, but if we can just value the ball like this, it's going to give us a chance.
Speaker 2: You open Big East play tomorrow night at home against Creighton. What are your impressions of the Blue Jays.
Speaker 10: You know, it's interesting.
Speaker 11: I mean, they've always been kind of a consistent player in this league, and they've got to believe, five returners from last year's team. Coach McDermott does a terrific job. They just haven't really made shots. I mean, I hope to god they don't make shots tomorrow. But it's always scary because they're continuing to move. The ball they're facing is great. They play with pace offensively on a make or a miss, So the shots are there. They just haven't been falling. You know, they've played a tough schedule in Nebraska is really difficult Kansas State. The first half they didn't play well, but certainly played great in.
Speaker 10: The second half.
Speaker 11: So we know with our team, like every game that we play, we're going to have our hands full, especially in.
Speaker 10: This twenty game Big East.
Speaker 11: So you got to guard the three point line, you got to get back in transition and communicate because they're going to fly the ball to the court.
Speaker 2: You get them at sentas tomorrow night. What have you learned about this fan base and how important is it for that shootout vibe not to be a one off?
Speaker 11: Yeah, the shootout is interesting because you know, as an outsider, you know, I'm a non Zavier guy, and you know, I'm still trying to earn my stripes with all the fans, and you know, they kind of and the fans kind of trick you a little bit because they're like, do you take this game seriously or not? And I'm like, listen, as a coach, were one game at a time, this and that. But you know, really what it is is the fans and the media really really take it seriously because of the bragging rights and all that. It's really really cool and fun to be a part of. But I've gotten asked that question, and I just said, you know, you know, I understand a bye game in December.
Speaker 10: It is not always going to be like that.
Speaker 11: But you know, I was very lucky for the last four years to coach in an iconic building in front of a terrific fan base in New Mexico with fifteen thousand fans. And I tell you what if we bring it like we did in the Crosstown shootout for these ten home games in the league, like we're going to be a tough out, you know, it's it's a really cool fan base because I've never worked at a small kind of Catholic school like this with no football. I went to a school like this, but I've never professionally done that. And they're they're not necessarily a large number, but there's strength kind of in the numbers that they have, and they're really really passionate, and they've been very welcome to me and my family.
Speaker 2: All Right, my most important question to you, can you confirm a family sledding activity that may have led to injury, if not at least general soreness on your part.
Speaker 11: General shortness would be accurate, for sure. I was standing in my office today because.
Speaker 10: My back was hurty.
Speaker 11: You know, We've got a pretty cool hill in front of our house.
Speaker 10: And my cute nine year.
Speaker 11: Old daughter put like her snowpants on, her boots on, and my other two kids were not there, and she was like, well, I guess I'm gonna go sledging by myself. And I'm like, all right, I got to go with you. You know, when you live in Minnesota, it was so cold like the Bengals game the other day. That was like every day in Minnesota for like three months, so it was like thirty degrees out. We had a blast, but I took a little spill. My wife didn't catch it, but I did actually run into it free as well. But I think I'm a game time decision tomorrow. But I feel good that I'm gonna be able to coach, oh man, that that is good news.
Speaker 2: We'll take care of yourself, and I always appreciate your time.
Speaker 3: In best of luck tomorrow night.
Speaker 10: All right, thank you, mans, appreciate it all right, all right.
Speaker 3: Take care coach.
Speaker 2: There you go, Richard Patino, check it in tonight. He hit a tree. What I can see his nine. You're like, who's gonna say no to there? I guess I'll go sledding by myself. I mean I remember that, whether it was Peyton or Casey is like, oh, but I thought general soortness might be the way he would go with the description. Standing in the office this morning, you said, feeling it. Musketeers tomorrow night, five game winning streak heading into Big East play with the opener against Creighton six point thirty from Senta center. All right, let's do this. Let's let's keep the lines open. I want to welcome your conversation. I've got oh when we come back. I came across a story over the weekend of a finish in a high school football state championship game that you will absolutely not believe, and I think it might lead into maybe a little bit of a conversation about the wild and wacky finishes in sports history over the years that you could maybe add to as well. Let's try that at a little bit plus some more Red's Hall of Fame conversation as we continue. The show is RNL Carrier Sports Talk. It is presented by Kelsey Chevrolet, produced tonight by Sean McMahon hosted Tonight by me Lance McAllister, and we thank you for listening on seven hundred WLW nineteen seven hundred WLWRNL Carrier Sports Talkers that buy Kelsey Chevrolet. Gary Jeff Walker follows at nine tonight. I'm on x at Lance McAllister. I would be honored if you followed. If you do, thank you. If you don't, you should. You can be a part of the show during the show and beyond the show. Checking the scoreboard. College basketball, by the way, really enjoyed the conversation with Darren Horn of The Nurse and Richard Patino of The Musketeers. Tennessee twenty in the country, leading Louisville number eleven in the country, seventeen minutes to go in the game, forty thirty one, Louisville playing without talented freshman Mike kel Brown dealing with a back issue.
Speaker 3: That's not good news. Cards trail by nine.
Speaker 2: Also on the docket, about eleven minutes to go in the game. Ohio all over Ohio, Wesleyan sixty six thirty nine. Let's see here, Miami fifteen minutes away from moving to eleven and zero on the season. Travis Steele in the RedHawks winning at ball State right now sixty or right State, I'm sorry, Wright State sixty two forty five sixty two forty five, RedHawks fifteen twenty six to go in the game and drew Western Heide's Daton Flyers leading at halftime against Florida State forty two thirty one. Couple of notes from Reds and Bengals World today. The Bengals claiming wide receiver Keishawn Williams off waivers from the Steelers. He returns kicks, punts and kickoffs. Charlie Jones dealing with an ankle issue for the Bengals. Steelers wave Keyshawn Williams yesterday. He had appeared in eight games. Also the other news of the day, Paul Dayner Junior of The Athletic reports that Zach Taylor actually has two more years left on his contract after this year, not one as previously believed. He quietly got an extension after the twenty twenty two AFC Championship Game loss and the Reds acquiring twenty nine year old left handed reliever Caleb Ferguson is free agent one year deal terms not disclosed, at least that I've seen He pitched in seventy games last season for the Pirates and Mariners combined era of three point five eight, again a lefty veteran lefty, and gave up just two home runs in sixty five and a third innings. Four Hall of Fame members announced today in new editions for the Reds, Brandon Phillips, Aaron Harang, Reggie Sanders, and Lou Panella. One hundred days to Reds Opening Day. A A couple of things that caught my eye over the weekend, and I don't know if it's topic worthy. What we'll find out see if I can maybe jar your memory and gather some contributions here. Both happen in high school football games. First one from listener Neil Eisner. Shout out to Neil, loyal listener, follower of the show. Much appreciated. He sent me this one Friday night, Louisiana Division two state championship game in football Saint Charles and Shaw. If you haven't seen the video, seek it out excuse me online. I'll try to simplify what took place. There's thirty five seconds left in the game. Shaw has the ball and they are leading by one. They have the ball they're leading by one thirty five seconds left. They just have to take knees to kneel out the game and win well. After first down, an offensive linemen celebrated by taking off his helmet and tossing it into the air. That results in a flag unsportsmanlike conduct. It stops the clock, so Saint Charles didn't have to burn a timeout. So then Shaw takes a knee on second down, Saint Charles calls timeout. Shaw takes a knee on third down. Saint Charles uses their remaining timeout, so they force a punt. Saint Charles blocked the punt and recovered it at the Shaw thirty two yard line with twenty seconds left. They threw a quick pass ten seconds left down to the twenty seven. They kick a game winning field goal, and the kicker who kicked the game winning field goal had missed the point after with about a minute left in the game that would have tied it, and he gets a shot at redemption hits a forty four yarder to win it. After they get the break of a helmet being tossed in the air in celebration. Oh can you imagine, I'll give you one more State championship game Saturday night, Florida Class seven a Vero Beach led Lake Mary by eight in the final minute driving rain. They're up eight, they had the ball. They chose to run backwards and kneel down on three straight plays on fourth and thirty one rather than punt and risk it being blocked in the driving rain. They ran to the back of the end zone and took a safety. So their lead is down to six with twelve seconds left and they're kicking off. Instead of kicking it deep, they do a squib kick. Lake Mary recovered it. They have time for one play. It's a forty three yard hail Mary in a driving rain that's deflected near the goal line into the hands of their wide receiver who's a yard short of the goal line, who is wrapped up, but as he spins around, he flips the ball to a teammate who fights off a tackler and falls into the end zone.
Speaker 3: Pat follows and they win the game.
Speaker 2: Un be believable. Two state championships this weekend, which got me thinking and led to this and maybe maybe for a segment and all open the lines at five point three, seven four nine hundred, the big one give me a a wild or crazy finish in sports along those lines, not a comeback or an upset or a winning shot, as much as something bizarre involved something maybe with a twist, in this case, a helmet being thrown off. I would give you. I would give you the band is on the field as my ultimate number one that came up at lunch today more than anything else. Nineteen eighty two, Cal, Stanford. It was John Elway's final game for the Stanford Cardinal and Cal receiving the kickoff and the Stanford fans believe the game was over, the Stanford had won. They store them out of the field. The band is on the field, the classic call.
Speaker 3: The band is on the field.
Speaker 2: The cow kick returner navigates his way down up the field through the band, runs over the trombone player and into the end zone in total chaos. To win the game, I would give you the twenty thirteen Iron Bowl kick six number one on Alabama number four Auburn. Alabama lined up to try potential fifty seven yard field goal, game winning fifty seven yard field goal. The kick is up and the kick is short, but Auburn's Chris Davis had been positioned near the goal line and he caught the ball on the way down in front of the goalpost, and the ball's in play, you can return it. He runs the entire field through the players, both teams opposite end zone, touchdown. Auburn wins the twenty thirteen Iron Bowl with a kick six. I would give you nineteen seventy two the Immaculate Reception AFC Divisional Playoffs. Steelers Raiders Terry Bradshaw throws a pass that gets deflected.
Speaker 3: The ball is deflected.
Speaker 2: In the air and is caught by Franco Harris off his shoe tops on the road and goes the distance for the most famous, most controversial play maybe in NFL history, of whether who had touched it first on the deflection. I'm trying to think of who laid out the Steeler and who the receiver, the intended receiver was, and I'm want it was it may have been Jack Tatum who delivered the hit, and whether it hit a Steeler first or Tatum made contact with it first. And in slow motion you see Frank O'harris off his shoe tops and run the final whatever thirty to forty two yards, almost get caught, almost go.
Speaker 3: Out of bounds it into the end zone for the game winner.
Speaker 2: I would give you a Bengal play for this, and this would be related to the high school football game.
Speaker 3: This would have been.
Speaker 2: What year eighty, mid eighties, late late eighties. This was Bengals with the ball against the forty nine Ers and Sam Wish instead of having the Bengal punt the ball or take a safety, trying to run out the clock against the forty nine Ers at Riverfront. He runs a fourth down play from their own territory and Boomer throws a pitch to James Brooks and James Brooks can't run out the clock. There's like five seconds left on the play. He gets tackled. Forty nine Ers takeover on possession change and Joe Montana comes on the field with one play throws to Jerry Rice, touchdown. Forty nine Ers stun the Bengals at Riverfront Stadium. That would be a few that came up during our lunch conversation today, But I thought about that based on Neil passing along the Louisiana State Championship game and the Florida State Championship game. If you have one that of the somewhat bizarre wild or crazy finish some time on that plus of Bengals, not or two around the corner. Let's check news. I'm doing relatively well staying on the clock. Tonight It's Rnel Carrier Sports Talk. What's Gotten into Me? Presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW News six seven hundred WLW RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet Abliancecatister.
Speaker 3: Hey, join us on Thursday night the Roundtable show. I'm with Rock.
Speaker 2: We talked Bengals, Bearcats, college football and more. We're at Long Necks in Wilder for the rest of the year. We would love to see you there. In addition to being on X at Lance Bacallister, I'm on Instagram and TikTok if you like or on those platforms. There's always Facebook, Lance Pacallister Sports Talk. We're talking reds in the four Hall of Famers there right now at Lance Pacallister Sports.
Speaker 3: Talk on Facebook.
Speaker 2: All right, So the lunch conversation was spurned on by a listener and Neil who had passed along the story and wait and then in watching the video, I'm like, I can't even imagine the look of the coaches on the sidelines of just how insane the state championship game turned out in Louisiana when one team receives a penalty because when taking a knee in the final few seconds, the offensive lineman takes off his helmet and throws it up in the air in celebration. He thinks the clock is going to run out. It's a penalty. The clock stops. It allows the other team to then keep a time out and call it on the next two plays, then forcing a punt, and they blocked the punt. They recover it and kick a game winning field goal to flat out steal the high school state championship in Louisiana in Division two. And that led to conversation about some of the crazy the bizarre finishes through the years in.
Speaker 3: Sports, and I've tossed it out to you as well.
Speaker 2: Let's head back to the phones, Hey, Richard, give me a crazy finish?
Speaker 4: Oh yea.
Speaker 12: This one's from Thanksgiving Day of nineteen ninety three in the NFL game between the Dolphins and the Cowboys, and this game was coming down to the wire. I think Dallas was up by one or two points, so Miami came down the field at the end of the game and they were setting up for a game winning field goal, and they they and they set it up. Stuyanovitch kicks it, it's blocked by Dallas and.
Speaker 6: Then the ball's rolling around on the ground.
Speaker 13: For some reason, the Cowboys defensive tackle Leon Lett decides to he's going to recover this ball, and it sports away from him and Miami recovers it, and all Dallas.
Speaker 4: Had to do is just to let the ball go. The game ends.
Speaker 6: So Miami sets back up for a game winning field goal, makes it wins the game, and then Dallas loses.
Speaker 3: Such an unbelievable scene.
Speaker 2: It's snowing, the snow everywhere in Leon left is sliding through the snow trying to grab the ball and it squirts loose and total chaos.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: What I remember, I think Bob Trump, he was a color guy on that game, and I just remember I remember him going leon Let, no, no, because the previous year in the Super Bowl, Leon Lett there was a blow they were blowing out Buffalo and he's running down the field with the ball for the end zone for a touchdown and then he holds it out and then don Beebe strips it before he crosses the goal line. But two yards of the goal lines. And that's why Trumpy was going, no, no.
Speaker 3: Just a classic.
Speaker 2: That's that's great, hey, Richard, thanks for listening, Thanks for calling.
Speaker 4: You have a great night. Bye bye.
Speaker 2: All right you as well. The other ones, uh, let me round this out. The other ones we came up with at lunch seventy two Olympics basketball versus the Soviets, final three seconds of the gold medal game replayed three different times due to quote official errors. On the final attempt, the Soviets completed a full court pass and a game winning layup to win fifty one fifty to beat the previously undefeated USA team. They won silver and many, in fact, it maybe the entire team. They did not accept their medals in protest, we're not taking the silver medals. We got jobbed by the officials three times. Three times they reset it like oh no, no, no. And obviously the first couple of times the Soviets had failed on those plays to score, and then on the third time they actually scored. I would go two thousand. Music City Miracle, the lateral, the Titans beat the Bills. Titans trailed sixteen to fifteen. Lorenzo O'Neil. One time, Bengal caught the kickoff, handed it to the tight end Frank Whitchek for the Titans, and he throws a crossfield lateral directly parallel to Kevin Dyce and the receiver, who then has a voy in front of him, goes the distance and wins the game. I would go. Nineteen eighty three NCAA Basketball National Championship game. NC State beats Houston at the Buzzer. Derek Wittenberg, with the clock ticking down, has the ball knocked away. They're trailing. It's knocked away. He grabs it and his time is about to expire. He turns and he heaves one up from forty feet and it short, but Lorenzo Charles big Man from North Carolina State leaps in the air and catches the ball on the way down and dunks it on the way down to win the game at the Buzzer. I would add the miracle at the Meadowlands nineteen seventy eight. The Giants were about to beat the Eagles in the Meadowlands. Joe Pisarcik is the quarterback, Larry Zonka is the running back. Piserchik turns the hand off to Larry Zonka. Instead of taking a knee, he hands the Larry zonk Well, they fumble the exchange. Herm Edwards. That Herm Edwards now on ESPN it was later a coach is an Eagles defensive back. He scoops up the ball and goes twenty yards in for the touchdown to win the game when the Giants needed just a knee to run out the clock. And I and one more just because it well, it pained us today at lunch to bring this up. It was that opener back in what two thousand and five six, what year was it? Bengals Broncos Week one? Brandon Stokely Gus Johnson on the call, Hail Mary out the midfield deflected, Brandon Stokely gets in your here, gosh, John brand It's runs it in and gets parallel to the goal line and runs sideways to run a few more seconds off the clock. Then goes into the end zone and the Broncos beat the Bengals in Week one of the season. That was fun today at lunch, I still thank you Neil for passing along that Louisiana game. Absolutely incredible Bengals note today and it's worth the from Paul Dayner Junior of the Athletic I don't know how this will sit with you. Well, I can imagine, but I'll run through it. Paul Dayner Junior has written about the structure the Bengals organization going forward this year and the status of Duke Tobin and Zach Taylor and somebody like Al Golden and some insight on what may happen. And Paul writes that Sunday went as badly as any single day could go for a pro sports organization, and he lays out they get eliminated, missed the playoffs for the third straight year. Joe Burrow shut out for the first time in his career, beaten mercilessly and trash talked by a division rival. Joe Burrow said after the game, we haven't been a good football team, and bad teams football teams do losing things. There was the backlash and controversy of not clearing the seats of the snow and the ice fans wore bags over their head.
Speaker 3: There was booing throughout the game.
Speaker 2: As Paul Dayner Junior rights, this was the kind of day that can leave an imprint on ownership. This was the kind of day that consumers hold over a company's head for years. Quite simply, this was a day that gets people fired. Paul then goes on to right, in most places, Duke Tobin, the de facto general manager, would be on the hot seat.
Speaker 3: That's just not the case.
Speaker 2: Here. Tobin is viewed as family. There is zero thought that his job is in jeopardy. Paul goes on to write, firing Taylor seems unlikely right now, and he points out, as I did at the top of the hour, Taylor actually has two years left on his contract. Two after this year. I think the Bengals are going to pay somebody to not coach for two years. And Paul writes the relationship between Taylor, Burrow and Brown Mike Brown will carry weight. Burrow has spoke openly in support of the coaching staff. Paul writes, beyond that this is Cincinnati, this is an ownership group stoutly devoted to patients and a belief in the people it hires. He points out there perhaps could be a question about Al Golden. Does he become the fall guy? But do you really turn over another defensive coordinator and bring in a third one in as many years? This final paragraph from Paul Daanner Junior of the Athletic Today. The Bengals have nearly the entire offense signed and returning next year. They rank eighth in cap space for next season. Aggressively attacking free agency to solidified defensive spots is a potential plan. Bengal fans screaming for change should prepare themselves for the fact that, at this moment, making no major changes appears the most likely endgame. Man Paul Dayer Junior from the Athletic Today. More ahead, another Bengals note, and on this date in sports history, as we head down the stretch and you as well five one, three, seven four, nine, seven thousand, What eight hundred the big One?
Speaker 3: It's Rnel Carrier.
Speaker 2: Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chervallet seven hundred WLW down the Stretch We go news in about nine minutes, Gary Jeff Walker. After that developing situation in college football, Jeremiah Love, Notre Dame running back arguably best running back in Notre Dame history, has declared well, Jerome Bettis might have something among others to say about that, but Jeremiah Love declaring for the NFL draft earlier The Sea follow up on what Paul Daker Junior wrote about the Bengals and trags Mike Petrella from CLNS since with Ay dot Com weighed in with a column today, can't wait to talk with him about it on Thursday night. He's our weekly Thursday Night Roundtable show guest. At six point twenty. He wrote today about the Bengals the following a couple of paragraphs that caught my eye. The Bengals only care about mating, maintaining control of their operation. Season ticket holder opinion and player sentiment be damned. This is our team and we know what's best, he writes. The Bengals have the money to invest in a real general manager and a real scouting department, they just refuse because they think they know better. Fifty years of results would suggest otherwise, and he points out the change that has taken place around the NFL in recent years with the Jaguars and the Colts and the Patriots and the Broncos. As he writes, they all took a close, hard look at the way they do business and who was running their football operations and made changes over the last several years. And he concluded in his piece today, with Burrow and Chase and Higgins locked up for multiple years, the future should be incredibly bright with the prospects of multiple Super Bowls. Instead, he concludes, thanks to the stubborn and unrelenting nature of the Bengals, the only thing on the horizon is a five category tornado that threatens to rip apart super Bowl hopes of every Bengals fan That from Trags today, he'll join his Thursday at six twenty on the Roundtable Show. All right, let's wrap it up with some Reds Hall of Fame notes, and let me give you on this date before I run out of time. On this date, nineteen sixty one, Wilt the Stilt Chamberlain begins a streak of seven straight games with fifty or more points.
Speaker 3: He's one of those guys.
Speaker 2: If you gave me a wayback machine and I could go back and watch somebody I never had a chance to watch, I would put Wilt Chamberlain on that list. I'd have Wil Chamberlain. I'd have Jim Brown, even though I was younger when he was playing in the NBA. If I could go back and watch Pete Maravich play at LSU, I would have that might be an off the beaten Pat topic one night now I think about it. This date, nineteen sixty seven, Will Chamberlain scores sixty eight against the Chicago Bulls nineteen seventy two perfection in the regular season. The Dolphins become the first undefeated NFL team at fourteen and oh they would run the table and win the Super Bowl as well. Nineteen seventy three, On this date, Oj Simpson the Juice becomes the first NFL player to rush for two thousand yards in a season. I have images of that game in my head. It was in the snow. He did it against the Jets. I want to say it was at Shayse Stadium. He did it running behind The nickname of the Bills offensive line was the Electric Company, if I remember correctly, led by Reggie McKenzie and Joe Delamoleure. I believe this date, nineteen seventy six dark day in Cincinnati sports history. The Reds trade Tony Perez to the Montreal Expos for Will Mcinanny, Woody Friman and Dale Murray. The trade of the thirty four year old opened the door for twenty five year old first base prospect Dan Dreeson. And you know the thing that and Dan It was always gonna be tough for Dan because he was the one who had to replace Tony Perez. But if you go back and look me, Dan Dreeson in his first year as their everyday first baseman replacing Tony put up Tony Perez like numbers. He drove in ninety one in replacing Tony and hit three hundred and stole thirty one bases.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's one of those things you'd lose a bet on that.
Speaker 2: In Dan Dreason's first season as Tony's replacement, Dan had had had plenty of games under his belt in the previous four years, but when he became Tony Perez's replacement, thirty one doubles, seventeen homers, ninety one ribis, thirty one steals, and a three hundred batting average. But those are numbers. Tony was the heart and the soul and the the the heart, the heart beat of the big Red machine man in that trade. Woody Friman what retired the next year in mid season and went back to his farm. Dale Murray did nothing. Will mcin any certainly was a very fine reliever for the Reds. But man oh Man, this state, speaking of trades, nineteen eighty two, the Reds traded Tom Seaver back to the Mets. They got Charlie Puleo. Last from the past in two minor leaguers, including Lloyd McClendon, and in twenty fifteen, ten years ago. Today, Reds are involved in a three way trade with the Dodgers and the White Sox. The Reds give up Todd Frazier and the Reds wound up acquiring Jose Perrazza, Scott Schebler, and Brandon Dixon. Parazza is okay. Scott s Shebler had a thirty home run season for the Reds. That's a great trivia question. Who would think that Scott Schebler hit thirty home runs in a season? But not much from not much from Brandon Dixon. All right, your news of the day, and congratulations to Brandon Phillips, Aaron Harang, Reggie Sanders, and Loupenela. Phillips and Harang got the most votes on the Modern Player ballot, which featured were a total of eight nominees, and among those that did not make the cut according to the fans, that is Homer Bailey, Francisco Cordero, who still has a pretty good case. I mean Francisco Cordero one hundred and fifty saves with the Red second and franchise history the team and saves four times was at All Star won forty games on their twenty ten Division Championship team. Zach Cozart, Mike Leak, Scott Roland, and Edison Volcaz. Fan votes on the Modern Player ballot were combined with ballots from media. I was part of that, and Red's alumni Reggie Sanders and Lou Panella were chosen by the Red's Hall of Fame Veterans Committee, which included, among others, Marty Brenneman. He talked about that earlier tonight on Reds Hot Stove, which considered players whose career ended more than fifteen years ago, players, managers, executives. The four Phillips, Harang, Sanders, Penola will be honored April twenty fourth through the sixth Reds Hall of Fame Induction celebration by PNC, and tickets to that gala at the Convention Center on sale REDS Museum Dot Org. I still am struck by the time Brandon Phillips spent here and the consistency. I mentioned it earlier with the home runs, but and even from a his glove is the headliner, but offensively a thirty home run season twenty one twenty and then four straight seasons of eighteen. But he drove in ninety four. One year, he drove in ninety eight, he drove in one hundred and three, he stole thirty two.
Speaker 3: Twenty five, twenty five, twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, and man, the pure joy that he played with and the connection he made with this fan base pretty amazing and very happy for all. I would say all, but I just think it's cool that Reggie Sanders gets brought back into the spotlight and remembered for the totality of his career, which I think, to me replaces the previous big picture view of Reggie by many he was, Oh, he's the guy who struck out a gazillion times in the ninety five postseason. This now becomes the biggest talking point in the memory I hope for Reds fans of Reggie Sanders now being a Red's Hall of Famer. I wish I had more time. I could have used that extra hour tonight. Thanks to Sean McMahon for producing, Thanks to you for taking a listen. Stick around.
Speaker 4: Gary.
Speaker 3: Jeff Walker is next after.
Speaker 2: News I'm back at you tomorrow night at six. This has been RNL Carrier Sports Talk, presented by Kelsey Valet seven hundred WLW