Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 2: I do not remember the last time we had significant snowfall this early in November, but we're dealing with that. We are here, Chuck Ingram is here. He's on his eighty fifth cup of coffee. And it's pretty to look at out the window, but not so much when you're sitting in traffic with a lot of people are this morning. Keep you updated The progress here is the storm should be done like around noon or so. We'll see in the meantime. I hope to keep you informed, entertained, and I don't know, thought drunk, as the case may be. This is interesting to start the day to day while the government shutdown looks to be winding down. We'll get to that a little bit later on, of course, we'll see. I'll believe it when I see it, Like you this locally though, this is a case and the potential are to destroy development downtown and undue investment in a couple areas of downtown related to crime. Not to rehash that, but it ties again. There's a lawsuit that's going on right now in Cincinnati. Common inquired a great job laying this thing out yesterday. Jeff Ruby, caller entertainment. As you know, their original location the old Art Deco place on seven hundred Wallna Street. When they moved to the new digs across from Fountain Square, they turned that into the Lampeka Event Center and they're also their corporate headquarters. And I had an event there, a wedding not too long ago. It was absolutely stunning. That's why I was shocked to learn they're pulling out. So Ruby vacated the corporate offices and that space just a few weeks ago, and the original leases were set to expire in twenty twenty eight and twenty thirty for the offices and restaurants respectively. And the concern was over a safety downtown safety and basic security measures were not being fulfilled allegedly by town properties, including the security of entrances and visitor check ins and on site security and building safety protocols. And there were bullets and windows and unarmed robbery across the street and all this noise. And they said, okay, we're out because of the crime. And if you think about it, if the court sides with the Rubia on this one, this is really going to overturn. The apple Cart joined the show this morning. Is longtime attorney and student. All this stuff is. Steve Gooden joined the show this morning on seven hundred wlw are you, Steve?
Speaker 3: I'm snowed in absolutely shot.
Speaker 2: How are you well that whole that whole inch of snow has got you got your sheltered in place?
Speaker 3: Huh? I'm overreacting purposefully to this today.
Speaker 2: Yes, sheltered place orders for the inch of snow. Yeah, but you know it's pretty now unless you're not sitting in it, I suppose in traffic right now than your anger as hell, I get it.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Before we get to this though, you lost your attempt to win that council seat and voters choosing to keep leadership all democratic in the city. Is it over for balanced government? Do you think?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 6: I think it is for the time being, Scott, I mean, you know, I mean, look, we we we had a bizarre scenario in this you know, where we had some polling data that showed, you know, a lot of the challenges myself included, had better name i'd than the folks who ended up winning, which is a weird circumstance.
Speaker 3: We knew on the issues, you.
Speaker 6: Know, we were right there, but at the end of the day, it's slate voting. You have low turnout and people who are voting one hundred percent Democrat one hundred percent Republican.
Speaker 3: And and that's just kind of how it is.
Speaker 6: At the moment. Everything is about national politics. Local issues don't really seem to be breaking through. All of the messaging that we saw from the Democratic Council members and the mayor was all about Donald Trump and MAGA and so forth. And basically the message was if you don't return a one hundred percent Democratic council, you know, Donald Trump will win in Cincinnati, which is of course, you.
Speaker 3: Know, absurd.
Speaker 6: You know, they ran on things like snap benefits and things that were national issues over which city hall had no control. It's kind of like what happened in New York with Mondami.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know a lot of.
Speaker 6: What he you know, he pushed or things that are you know, whether you agree or disagree with the policies he's presenting, they're things that are well outside his control jurisdictionally and legally as a as a mayor. I mean, you know, he's promising things that only the federal and state government can deliver by law. So you know it, look, it's it's predictable. You know, we kind of saw what was happening a few days out. You know, it's a it's a little bit of a better pill. Frankly, when you know that on the issues and in terms of who you are, you know, you know it's the right We did the right thing and we think by raising those issues, we absolutely did the right thing and we certainly moved some things in terms of the issues along, I think at city Hall.
Speaker 3: So no regrets. But uh boy, the snow is pretty does Scott.
Speaker 2: That's the snow got to marsin that election day. We probably have real problems the after effect. Even the snow melts, it still scares people. Yeah, I I you know, we I prefer a divided government. I preferred divide of government Columbus to be quite honestly, it's not about the GOP winning everything. It's about restoring some sanity in our government. So hopefully better days are ahead. It doesn't look like it right now.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 2: Let's segue to the case at hand. If the court sides with the Ruby in this town, pretty thing. Could that establish a precedent for commercial real estate like especially in urban areas? And then it becomes hey, Listen, crime's killing me right now. I'm seeing a reduction in business, or I feel threatened, or maybe I just want to get out of the lease. I can claim in adequate security and get out of this thing. That that would be devastating for development, wasn't it?
Speaker 3: It sure would?
Speaker 6: And frankly, I don't know what a court's going to make of what the Ruby group is claiming here.
Speaker 3: I mean, they really.
Speaker 6: And I have attacked Town Properties in their lawsuits saying, look, we told you we were having issues here. We had an employee who got robbed. We had a bullet, you know, fired, you know, a stray bullet apparently, but still the idea that there are straight bullets in the heart of downtown business district is a horrifying thing.
Speaker 3: But one of our windows got hit. We kept digging.
Speaker 6: We've had car break ins and the lot next door with our employees, and we've asked for beefed up security measures. You didn't provide them, so therefore we should get out of the last four to five years of our lease. Town Properties actually has filed a countersuit, including a claim for defamation, based upon some of the statements.
Speaker 3: Jeff Ruby's daughter Britney Ruby Miller made in.
Speaker 6: A press release or a press conference about the whole situation in which they basically said, look, you're you know you're impugning us falsely, and you know you're saying things about our security and about our building that just aren't true. There's lawsuits going both ways right now. It's kind of hard to tell from what we know so far, you know who is right or who is wrong, or whether it's some mixture. Also, what Town Property says, which is very interesting, is they're basically saying, look, you your events base just wasn't doing well.
Speaker 3: The business model.
Speaker 6: Isn't good, and they've all but accused the Ruby group of using the safety concerns to get out of their lease early. So this one's really ugly. But you're right if indeed a court rules with the Ruby Group and you can start using and business owners can start using safety protocols as a means to breach a lease prematurely, you know that that is going to be open season downtown for people who are whose businesses are not doing well in part because of the crime. And I will say this, I've heard from some of my friends who are who own smaller restaurants and barbershops and a hair salon. Some of them are down thirty to forty percent since this look rash of shooting, yeah, happened, particularly the group on the grouping of shootings there about three weeks ago on Fountain Square. So it is a very tough time. It's not only is it not safe at certain times, it's it's it's the perception is even worse. So yeah, but no, you're absolutely right. If the Common Police Court does side with Ruby, this is going to be a could lead to an exodus of people downtown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, it's not to say, I know some people believe that, you know, Mexico starts south of Red Bank Road. It's not true at all. Are plenty of areas, sinc An editor, that are safe if it's just a couple of neighborhoods in particular or in certain times a day or not, and then those are exacerbated. We talk about it, people start to fear it and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. Is unfortunate. But you know, the way this whole thing has been handled, which is why you ran and many others ran too, is to reform how crime is handled in the City of Cincinnati. And yeah, I kind of get what Ruby's doing here. Maybe the model wasn't working because of that though, right, because people aren't coming downtown because of what we're talking about, so indirectly it's crime. I wonder though, too, if this were successful, would that could this spill over to the residential lease game as well, and people are afraid of I don't know, I'm gonna leave, I'm gonna break my lease with my apartment and my condo because I don't feel safe anymore. I would see that as an extension here too, and then the wheels really fall off. But in reality, Ruby says they made repeated police or security measures. What I guess what evans would they need to prove the town is negligent there? And outside of town's control, they don't run, you know, the police department of the City of Cincinnati. So what control really does a landlord have?
Speaker 6: Well, and that's and I think that's part of their legal problem, you know, factually speaking, you know, if if the security measures aren't built explicitly into the lease, that's you know, town property will have a pretty good defense there. And again we haven't seen the lease, the lease these commercial leases tend to be you know, very very detailed, you know, one hundred pages long and so forth. So I would be a little bit surprised if, you know, if there's something in the lease that would really give them these the ability to demand these security protocols.
Speaker 3: That go above and beyond.
Speaker 6: And again, you know, the Ruby folks have had their headquarters there and have been in that building for decades so and things have really, you know, really changed there over the years. I mean, you beck in the early two thousands and we had an uptake in violence like this before you know, they were able to weather that and that was the Town Properties building then. So I think that will come very much into play. How the last time we had an issue like this, but also what's really happening now is unprecedented. You know, the city officials still want to argue about the numbers, whether the crime is up or down overall, but we know in the city but we know it's up. It is up, particularly in the downtown business area district. It is up in over the Rhine, is particularly up in northern over the Rhine. And we also know the quality, not just the quality, but the quality of the incidents that have been occurring, had been horrified, and we've had shootings during business hours, you know, including the one on White in front of the Ruby restaurant at the Foundry was at you know some you know, one was at seven pm, one was at five to eighteen pm in front of the Federal courthouse.
Speaker 3: So you know, it's not like you.
Speaker 6: Know, when I was a prosecutor twenty years ago there were horrible shootings downtown with they tended to happen at two three in the morning. We're talking to people leaving their offices and hearing gunfire. So it's a it's qualitatively different, and I think that's something at court we'll have to kind of grapple with somehow. No question from the record they submitted that with the lawsuit that the Ruby folks were asking for additional security. No question that they had employees who were passled, robbed and just generally had the cars broken into and so forth. But you know, I could also see a court very much saying, hey, it's not explicitly built into the least that you get this additional security, and I'm sorry, you're on your own and the town properties folks just have no real control over the crime.
Speaker 2: Steve Goodin and the filing Ruby v. Tom Properties. Ruby said they spent two hundred thousand dollars annually on private security. Is that to help hurt that case?
Speaker 6: It's sort of it cuts both ways. I mean it also you know, it shows that they were at number one. I mean, it shows actually that that they were doing that, and I have no doubt. I mean I was just not long ago at the downtown Ruby's restaurant, the main one, and you know they had armed security out front, you know, because you know, they've apparently had some issues also at their flagship struct in terms of violence and muggings and employees being handled.
Speaker 3: And so forth.
Speaker 6: But the flip side would be, like, you know, I could see count Properties turning that around very quickly and saying, well, you've known about.
Speaker 3: These security issues for a while.
Speaker 6: You've been providing security outside the lease on all your properties, and and frankly, based upon what Jeff Ruby, Jeff Ruby churches for a stake, apparently they're still turning the profit. So you know, last if I was down there, it was not a slow bill.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm gonna have the I'm gonna have the Chris collins Worth top with litigation. Thank you new Bok. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. The two hundred thousand security investment, it suggests that Ruby's had responsibility in this to some degree too as well. And also from what I read, was there an evidence was there any evidence that they presented any request to uh notice a default or before they left the premises, attempt to cure I think is the term, in order to make sure that they asked and said, hey, look, can you take care of the stuff, and they weren't responded to. But I didn't see any of that in here, did you.
Speaker 3: I did not.
Speaker 6: And look, it's not unusual in a lawsuit like this, you know for those kinds of things to be provided in discovery if the case goes along, but.
Speaker 3: You know, it doesn't.
Speaker 6: It looks like this all came together relatively quickly, you know, over the course of just a few weeks. Really, if I'm if I'm reading it correctly, it sounds like the security concerns have been around for well over a year, but the negotiations in the back and forth did seem to be in a pretty tight timeframe. So no, I did not see that, and I think those are all issues. If that did not occur. Those are things that we'll go into Town Properties favor from a legal standpoint, so you know, we'll have to wait and see on that. But no, there really isn't much of a showing that they had a significant negotiation here over that, which is and it's it's very typical in these large commercial leases that you don't just you're not able just to pull out.
Speaker 3: You know, you have to try to. You know, you have to at least give.
Speaker 6: The landlord a chance to fix things, which is the old you know, cure provisions as they call it. So you know, well we'll see what's there. But yeah, this is the lawsuit is pretty thin on that in that department.
Speaker 2: And not only that too, this has also reflected the broader issues downtown is homelessness and street crime and the changing nature of downtown alike as well, outside of the scope of anyone except for government.
Speaker 6: Well, that's and that's right. I think you're going to hear a lot from town Properties on that on that specific point. I mean, I mean, we know that downtown. I mean, look, this is something not to shift back into campaign mode, I'm saying.
Speaker 3: To act like that never happened, but we're gonna.
Speaker 6: Act like, uh, but the I mean, we know the police the saythek Police Department is understaffed. We know the understaffing is particularly fell downtown.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's you know, it's it's.
Speaker 6: Very, very difficult to have true beat policing with the staffing levels the police department has.
Speaker 3: At the moment.
Speaker 6: I mean, I mean we know that, you know, they have a compliment that was set in two thousand and five, which was a radically different city at that point in time in terms of attractions, and I mean there was no developed over the Rhine, then there was no TQL Stadium, then no Brady Center, then fifteen thousand, by any estimate, fewer residents than So the idea that we're going to take a compliment set from that time frame in terms of the police department, and it's two hundred short from that number and actually expect to have beat policing downtown, the officers out of their cars walking, you know, it's just not mathematically possible.
Speaker 3: The officers we have.
Speaker 6: Now are by and large, you know, dedicated to responding to emergency calls.
Speaker 3: That's all we have.
Speaker 6: And if you see an officer out on the street on Government Square, Fountain Square.
Speaker 3: Chances are they're being.
Speaker 6: Paid overtime or it's a private detail for a restaurant like we just and it's really not a good way to do business.
Speaker 3: And that's where we.
Speaker 6: Slip into what I call this kind of third world vibe, where it's like, if you're a business that can afford to hire an off duty police officer, you're in great shape. If you're a small business that doesn't have that kind of Jeff Ruby budget, then you're in a bad spot. And that is that is not the way we are supposed to do things, and that's not a sign of a healthy city.
Speaker 2: No, no, only that, I mean if landlords become liable for crime in and around the building in the city, imagine what insurance rates would do, and there'd be properties that are uninsurable and then the landlord has to hire security. I'd be a good lord. The rent down town would be absolutely ridiculous. So I kind of see which way the court's going to lean here, But you never know he is Steve good an attorney at law, break and hold this whole thing down. When the quite honestly, development and the progress Cincinnati's made in the last twenty plus years is in jeopardy with the decision in this case and whenever that comes on, but they'll probably settle as they often do, and life will go on. He is Steve Good and thanks again to joining Budy. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Have a great one anytime, Scott. Take care, Take care.
Speaker 2: I've got to get to a news update here in the very latest on the roadways and can you imagine this kind of me see out there, chuckle, have that for the forecast when the snow ends and more to follow slowly seven hundred WLW Here we go, slowly on the big one, seven hundred WLW. A bit of a mess out there today, as you heard from Chuck, and looks like it's continue through lunchtime hour and then maybe tapering, tapering by like five o'clock. So yeah, it's gonna hang around a minute and big day of Our producers drove down from the Dayton area and they said's a lot worse up there. So but I know we've got a few couple more hours of snow left here in Cincinnati pretty early for us on this tenth day of November. For sure, unexpected, well mean unusual, let's put it that way. It was amazing, is me. We talk about this every year, and folks just simply lose their mind when there's snow. I could if you're new to the area or even lived here for a long time. It's the damnedest thing. I don't know why we freak out and can't drive so well when we have a little bit of snow. I could see if you live in Dallas or Atlanta where it's pretty rare. Sure there you gonna freak out there you to it. Oh, here we get significant I'm not significant, but a decent amount of snowfall every year. And just unless we just forget that, you know, the overpasses our slippery. I don't know, I don't know. It's just one of those things that make it. Ah, I'm about living in Cincinnati, but hey, that's you know what, of all the things in my head, they're like, Okay, that's a negative. That might be close close to the top of the list, but that you know, and if that's like near the top of the list, it ain't all that bad, you know what I'm saying. You know what I'm saying. All right, we had.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 2: Also, the other thing I want to point out is the new trend with the climate terrorists and not really knew it's been a couple of years.
Speaker 7: My laugh.
Speaker 2: Every time I see it, it's like this morning we have in the newsroom, or generally sit and have my coffee chat with the boys and the girls. They have the local news on see what's going on. Of course they have now the ability because of technology, to have cameras and cars at all times, you know, so they live stream the drive around. So the drummer in the city showing what the roads look like in real time. And yeah, it's one thing if you were heavy rain, where there's flooding or there's a lot of snow and you look at it, go okay, it's a different perspective rather than standing on the side of the highway next to the salt Dome on seventy five, which we're due for. I don't know, maybe somebody did that. Today we may have our first what we would call the assault Domes stand up of the year for TV station. Now they drive around to scare the helly I walked to like, okay, here's what the roads look like. Yeah, it just started snowing. There's nothing, the roads are dry, there's nothing to see, but that's part of it. Got to get you worked up in little Ladder. It's good for Kroger. Kroger needs the business. Go get your batteries, milk and bread before I run out with the inch of snow.
Speaker 3: We're kidding.
Speaker 2: Also, I just had Steve Goodnan not talking about the election necessarily because that's old news, but rather than the effect of crime downtown that you lawsuit with Jeff Jeff Ruby against town property. I think it's to be really interesting. Now, typically these things get settled anyway, but now do you imagine what would happen if Ruby's group won that, Because if you're a landlord down town, how hard would it then be the lease in urban areas? And this across the country as well, because it's the president, but specific in Cincinnati, how are it would be the least and get out of lease for that matter? And what would happen to commercial rent and anyone wanting to develop downtown? And what pretty much ended would it not? Because if you know, as a landlord myself a much smaller scale, now all of a sudden I'm charged with being the police. And in a way, that's the problem I had with landlords being held liable for the behavior their tenants to some degree, and that you know, if they're having a party at three o'clock in the morning and it's a noise violation or being loud or whatever it is. How I don't understand how the hell I could be responsible for the actions of a grown adult. I mean, they're leasing. Here's the terms of the lease. You can't make noise, you can't do this, can't do that. Okay, great, you know I don't live next door to them, and I know it's about targeting the out of state landlords. But you know, again, it's a vacuum and people are buying houses, and whether you like it or not, that's the name of the game. US are big companies, but it seems kind of punitive to me a whole them responsible for. You know, if it's look at this way, if you come peeling down the street in your car and you're doing fifty and a twenty five, that's not on me, that's on the tenant who's driving that way or parking illegally or whatever it is. But when it comes to those kind of violations around that, I could see if it's you know, building code or something like that. Properties in decline, there's weeds, gutters are falling DOWNE sure absolutely effects quality there, but I hate that it gives landlords a bad name. But when it comes to their individual behavior, they have an allowed party or something like that, Like that's not really my concern. You can let me know. But I you know, when we started doing that, and this kind of opens the door for that too, is how far is expected that the landlord in this cantsdown properties be responsible for crime around the in this case Ruby's restaurant. You know, if landlords become liable for crime in and around the buildings, and insurance costs goes through the roof, and there's going to be a lot of abandoned properties because a lot of those are going to become uninsurable and so now you have to hire your own security firm to guarantee safety, and those costs gets passed on the tenants and be unlivable downtown. So I don't know. That's that seems to be really slippery slope in my opinion. Anyway, looks like we are close to but I'll believe when I see it. The end of the shutdown, the Senate reaching a deal last night to fund the government late last night. So we're what forty days right now after the shod longest shutdown in history, and it started out as theater and then gradually starts to affect people. So, for example, my brother and sister law were traveling this weekend, got jammed up in the airport, and it was a good time. And of course, you know, that's minor compared to the folks who have run out of staff benefits, and of course federal workers who go on paid and the list goes on. So it looks like they're going to reinstate all government employees laid after the shutdown. Everyone gets full back pay. And John Thune, the Republican Senate majority leader, says, we're going to promise a vote to extend affordable healthcare the ACA subsidies later this year as well, will promise a vote, no guarantee of outcome there, but if indeeda said okay, well, we're going to at least fund this for another year our live superiod of time till we can come with a conclusion, meaning we'll kick it down the can down the road again. The funding package will go to the House for consideration, and maybe the thing will be done and just a few short hours, if not days. But one also goes, okay, we shut this thing down for forty days, You're gonna pay all the workers. You're gonna get your back pay. SNAP is going to be restored. We're going to extend the Affordable Care Act. What the hell was the point of shutting this down for the last forty days, one may ask, and that would be the central question, the inefficiencies and neglect of our government, the people we send to do our bidding. Also too, something that kind of broke late on Friday is President Trump wants to hand out checks pall. Hes're a politician, right, It's like, well, the things are going unless they're paying people off. You may get a two thousand dollars tariff dividend. They're calling this according to his post on truth. Social will take that with a grain of salt. The dividend will be paid to everyone except high income people. And so this is on the heels of I think it was Josh Hawley introducing legislation over the summer or last term, I guess to give a six hundred dollars tare freebay to nearly all Americans independent children, and the Secretary Treasury said our priority is paying down with now the thirty eight trillion dollar national debt using the tariff revenue. Okay, so the math on this math doesn't really math out because so far through quarter three, three quarters of the year, others four quarters, Just like football, two hundred billion dollars is what we've gained, which a lot of money. Two hundred billion dollars in tariffs is what we have pulled in. So we're certainly the government's getting some money from the two hundred from the tariffs. And it's two hundred billion dollars to the third quarter. Great, that is what five one thousandth of the of the deficit of the debt. And if it's five to one thous the interest rate that we're paying me and you and everyone collectively on that debt is in excess of three percent. I'm not the big math guy. Maybe you are. So if you get two hundred billion dollars and then you're gonna give everyone two thousand dollars and then you're gonna pay I guess they're gonna use more of it to pay the national debt, the federal debt. Then that's done. It doesn't work out. So you've only got two hundred billion dollars. It's thirty eight trillion. So the at this rate, you're never going to catch up. It's going to continue to get worse and worse and worse. So that doesn't even I mean, it sounds good to go, Hey, everyone's gonna get two k if you did that. Basically you're everyone to vote for you because you keep getting paid. But we're not addressing the central issue, and that is the out of control debt. But again, it's Washington. It doesn't have to make sense. It does not have to make sense in other news, there is ay. The science is specificously the astroscientists. To me, it's fascinating because most people like, okay, you look up, there's the moon, the stars. Okay, if there's a lunar eclipse, solar eclipses a bit way, that big solar eclipse, right, everyone lose their mind. That's a big one. That is the super Bowl of celestial events. An eclipse. I can see there's like a star passing by. The plans in alignment, maybe not so much. It seems like every week we have some sort of astrophysic event here that they get excited about. And that'd be the I don't know. In this case, a theoretical physicist out of Harvard as the scientific community worked at because he believes that we are about to be visited by aliens, an alien mothership. What apparently there's a comet, and this comet is racing through our solar system and it is obviously since from a different solar system, it's an interstellar. It's not going to abide by our laws of gravity and physics, and that is that it erals are on the Sun now it's going to blaze by the Sun and it just did, and it's on track to fly by Earth on December nineteenth. And he believes that this may be an alien not a comet, because of the shape and form of it. And we don't have like three of these, by the way, we're have an interstellar object of body flying through our little world here. And he said, listen, this could be interesting. It could be an alien mothership. I don't know if that's tongue in cheek or not, but you know, it's the idea to try and get you to eat your vegetables and pay attention to this kind of stuff. So the orbit of this comet is traced of the past clearly it originates from outside the Solar system, and it's an odd shape, and I guess that is why how they would dictate it comes from outside our solar system. So the but here's the thing. Okay, we're gonna get visited by an alien mothership. You hear that headline, go oh wow, that's that's interesting. Okay.
Speaker 4: Goal.
Speaker 2: The closest it's going to get is about one hundred seventy million miles. It's just inside the orbit of Mars. Not exactly close. Hey, certainly in those terms when you look at bodies in heaven, that's that's pretty close. But for me and you, one hundred seventy million miles is I don't care. As it makes a U turn and says, hold up, hit the brakes. There's a Starbucks. Look, there's a star I'm gonna stop at Earth and get some Starbucks. Maybe a little no, I think you can still get a pumpkin spice latte. Maybe they don't have that where they're coming from. I don't know. So the size of it be investigated by astronomers around the world, and once it passes the Sun, it's going to reappear on the other side by early next year or early in December, so right on the nineteenth, and then we'll have renewed observations because you got to renew the observations. Witch you do I do that is you know there's some sort of we're not going to see this another for another two thousand years. And you go outside and it's cloudy. It's always three because it's nice three o'clock in the morning. I don't know, I'm probably not gonna get at three o'clock in the morning, see some stars, see a comet pass by. Wow, look at that comment. It's interstellar. It's like it's this little tiny dot out there. And eventually, you know, I'll just wake up the next morning it'll be on my phone and a nice close up at that too. So trying to get up and maybe you're an astronomy, you probably don't sleep much or your odds are it's like you're working third r because all the good stuff happens when it's dark. Obviously, once in a great while you get a an eclipse, a solar eclipse, and you can see it during the day, but mainly it's like your job is at night. The rest of us have to work for a living and deal with traffic and such and such a quick time out. More to follow on this snowy Monday morning. All the latest traffic details minutes away here on seven hundred WW Scott's loan here seven hundred wlw oh, by the way, with the snow of the cold weather here, don't forget if you got those hoses looked up to the side of your house, take them off. Don't want broken pipes. Just saying, just saying, Bengals in U see idle this weekend, some of those rare college and pro teams not playing and so yeah, maybe a little extra time here. I watched Saturday night FC advance in the playoffs in front of a passing crowd of TQ. Well, it looked absolutely crazy. The environment right there.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: I feared that out had to be magical because they eliminated Columbus. FC eliminates Columbus in the deciding game three on Brenner's gold final minutes of regulation one of the I'll have Tommy g By the way, Tommy Glarterer is on the show later on like eleven thirty five. Instead of a usually I talked to James Rapine, but being I don't know, I thought we talked a lot of to see because it was you know, arguably, you know what the way the Bengals are right now, I would say that FC Cincinnati maybe and oh certainly you see the most exciting sports product we have right now. And it was a lot of fun to watch on Saturday night. Anyway, Tommy G'll be here after eleven thirty five talking about the big win and of course just slaying the dragon out of the Columbus crew. And it wasn't easy, that's for sure. But this is a call in the Spanish radio booth from TQL Stadium on Saturday night. It always sounds like a party. I have no idea what he's saying. I had the countdown Fiesta Cincinnati. I'm there for the party, man, I'm there for all of it. It's a good time. So anyway, two weeks off before they play again, because well you have international games in there too, and that's the one thing as a sports fan in North American sports fani I didn't get that whole thing that in the middle of the season that he said we got the playoffs, Yeah, we gotta stop why because our guys are going to go play international soccer and then they'll come back and we'll have the playoffs like an afterthought. Don't get that one. But it was really really exciting, really exciting. Coming up next to the show on seven hundred WLW, we have the government shutdown. The ledgedly is close to end. I don't know how close it is ending. I shouldn't say that. The Senate met late last night came up with some compromise. The House has got to figure it out of the all go sideways. Of course, in the next few hours or days, we'll see what we believe. We're a day forty right now, but everything's going on because the shutdown is taking center stage, and so it is. The weather here in Cincinnati is what's going on in Venezuela right now as we continue to blow up ships off the coast. And if you are following the so all you go, well, okay, I didn't know Venezuela was sending drugs there, Well, well they really aren't. Mexico is still the biggest purveyer of this stuff. But that is just a pretext for what is about to happen here. His name is Jeffrey Gilson. He studies this stuff and he's got a British accent, so that makes him ten times smarter than the rest of us. So anyone talks with a British accent, you just sound like informed, like a show on PBS or something like that. It's good just to be stupid, you know, British comedy, but it's higher level, it's more highbrow because they're doing with that accent. Anyway, what's happening in Venezuela and what the endgame is there, it's really interesting and also frightening at the same time. We'll talk to him about that coming up on this Monday morning. Julie h Will Mental Health Monday at ten thirty five. And of course the big story in Cincinnati right now would be the weather that started to moving on right around a thirty or so, a little bit more snow. Daton got hit pretty good with a couple of inches of snowscrewing up traffic there. But now it's starting to certainly starting to accumulate out there and this is going to cause some problems on the road. And Chuck Ingram will drop by in just seconds here full weather traffic and more Scott's Loan show on this Monday morning in the Home The Best Paracles coverage seven hundred WWT Cincinnati.
Speaker 8: You want to be an American Scott Flown show.
Speaker 2: This is seven hundred WLW. We've seen this unprecedented military action off Venezuela in the extra judicial killings of alleged drug runners. We don't know. We're blowing stuff up and all the evidence goes with us. There's no trial. Could be a con certainly those could be. It's a constituential problem. So much so there's a bipartisan call for oversight. Of course, you got open up the damn government for those conversations to happen. But here we are. But if we think it's about drugs and fentanyl, think again, because that is not the story at all. It just does not check out. There's something bigger going on here. Uh, and it has to do not with the United States, but the balance of power between China, Russia and Iran. Jeff Gilson is here, former speechwriter for Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and a geopolitical expert. Jeff, welcome, How are you.
Speaker 7: I'm fine. Thank you having me on the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before we start on topic A, I have to ask you about the passing of Dick Cheney. Dick Cheney has passed away, and he had a hand, and of course the First Golf War two part of the strategy with Margaret Thatcher. And as I recall now that the history is the books have been open, did he I believe he fought with her over chemical weapons and whether or not the because she wanted to use chemical weapons and he was against it, which does not go with the Dick Cheney narrative.
Speaker 5: Is that true.
Speaker 4: I don't know all the details of that, but very definitely Dick Cheney was quite happy to use any any means good if he saw it to protect American Dick Cheney is an interesting character. He was around from the days of Nixon, and in terms that your listeners would understand, Dick Cheney is the godfather of the unitary executive authority and me had Cotton, which basically put together, means the president is the supreme federal power and pretty much can do what he wants. That's what the constitution says. And actually I find some sympathy with that, although I'm disappointed about it, but that's on the filming thought father, it's not Dick Cheney. And then once you have the supreme president, his or her job is to make the rest of the world cower.
Speaker 8: And that's it.
Speaker 4: That's Dick Cheney in a nutshell all wolf of It's who was in the Defense Department when Bush Junior invading Iraq said that Dick Cheney was the scariest person he'd ever met. Now, you may be a Dick Cheney fan, you may not be a Dick Cheney fan. But he was one of the most powerful figures. And he definitely was the godfather of neo gunn So he was all in favor of invading countries to protect America's interests, and he was in favor of torture and chemical weapons, anything that was needed to get the job done quickly and effectively. I'm pretty sure that market Thatcher would not have much got that. Margaret Thatcher at heart was a libertarian. She went to war in the Falkland Islands in nineteen eighty two with huge reluctance, but she knew that the alternative was to cowtow to a dictator in Argentina. Since we're talking about Venezuela, ye, it all comes back to Latin.
Speaker 7: America more important than people.
Speaker 4: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff Gilson, let's get into that. The reality. There's there's the reality versus the narrative. And this has been blown apart already, is that the you know, the idea that that's a government run cartel has been debunked last year. The Drug Threat Assessment doesn't even mention Venezuela, and there's a list of dangerous countries. The National Intelligence Council reports at Maduro doesn't control drug trafficking all. They play very little role in the federyl or opioid crisis. And yet here we are back with Venezuela and we're bombing the hell out of them, blown up ships. And but the federal story, I think it plays here in America. It's good for Trump, good for Trump being on brand and fighting the war on drugs. But the reality is there's something bigger at play here. Let's talk about where Iran, Russia, China, and the United States intersect.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, I mean the first thing is that Donald Trump, I believe quite genuinely it's against the drug trade.
Speaker 8: But he's not quite right.
Speaker 4: Put out, there's there's little here. However, you have to use drugs as an excuse because drug interdiction allows the president under the Constitution, in certain powers that he doesn't have if you say, we just don't like the man and we need to control Venezuela. Plus Maga is not going to be happy because Maga, Marjorie Tayler Green is very much opposed to foreign individual.
Speaker 8: We need to be pulling back from that.
Speaker 4: So the line coming out of the White House is well, number one, it isn't really foreign, it's our backyard. Think Monroe doctrine. And secondly, it's about drugs. So drugs are the excuse just talking about the wider the issues of what Earth has has got to do with Iran and Russian. Here's the deal. Venezuela is a rogue nation think Cuba from the sixties for those history bus listening. It is exactly the same. Russia uses it as a toe hold in the Western hemisphere. China gets oil from Venezuela. You'll know, Venezuela sits on huge reserves of oil, and Iran, which of course has its own oil, cannot export because of functions. So what it does is it ships its oil to Venezuela. Venezuela then sells it as Venezuelan oil. So this is unholy alliance centered in Venezuela and the person pushing for this is less Donald Trump and more Marco Rubio. This I think was the deal between Rubio and Trump, that Rubio would grit his teeth, close his eyes, put his fingers in his ears, and serve as secretary of State to the man who know about in the things to say about his hands. In return for which Trump we say the America is he yours to play with? Because Rubio is because of his kiven An American background, is vehemently opposed to the leadership in Cuba and Venezuela, and he is the one driving. So that's what they want. They want regime change, but they know it's going to be very difficult to get boots on the ground, so they're using drugs. They have certain executive authorities to intervite drugs on the seas. They can use certain CIA covert operations on land if it's a clear and present danger think Harrison Ford the movie Clear and Present Danger, And a couple of weeks ago, the CIA already passed a finding that the so called narco terrorist regime and supporters in Venezuela represented a direct and clear and present danger. So the authority is there to put CIA boots on the ground. The build up of the military is part and Parcelor's what I think Trump wants to do or other Rubia wants to do, is scare Madeuro into leaving sort of what happened, not quite what happened, but what they were trying to do, what Bushclia was trying to do in Panama. And if you see something happening in Venezuela, the template is Panama a Bush Senior where they used drugs once again as the excuse to go in and then and also the threat to the Panama Canal. So in Venezuela they're going to put steering a boots on the ground and probably hope for some sort of intervention from Venezuela, at which point the president has six days authority to go in because they put American lives at Yeah.
Speaker 2: And this is about getting Machado, Maria Parina Machado once celebrated. Yeah, it's getting someone there who's going to play ball with the United States. It's about and there are a lot of parallels. It's interesting you brought up Cuba because it feels just like it outside of maybe the Bay of Pigs and that botched effort. And of course leading to the standoff and being on the brink of nuclear war. I don't think it escalates that. But now it's not just US viv Russia, right, this is a multipolar battle because you don't have just one country, you have several.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean as far as Revio as I say, Reubio Trumpet concerned. This is an irritation that they want to have go away. And the major military build up the aircraft carrier, is to try and put pressure on Maduro to leave. There are definitely there's a very strange relationship between politicians. This happens across lack America. There are the elites in Venezuela who go by the English nickname of plugs. I think that's a shortened version of a Spanish word, and they control, They have the authority, and for the moment, they back the Duro, but they are already, according to my sources, in touch with the Chado and ready to switch if they think that Maduro is no longer going to be the flavor of the month in the rest of the Americas. And Maduro is probably looking for a way out, and so that's the first thing put the military around here threatened him. Hope that he will leave, hope that the plugs will switch their support to Machado and if not, possibly engineer something with CIA operations on the ground. Maschado is an interesting person, I mean, because she's completely confused the left wing because when Donald Trump didn't win his Nobel Peace Prize as she did, the left wing media in America was cocker, Oh, fantastic, this wonderful woman who is all for peace and democracy has run instead of Trump. Then they discovered she's actually right wing and a supporter of Trump. So now they're confused. But anyway, yes, they want to bring a Shado back.
Speaker 2: Do you see us getting involved in essentially in a war and a battle down there, because it has all the elements that right now arend to the guys of fighting narco terrorism, which is not the case. If this is about regime change, it's a whole nother thing. How does this play with Trump's base.
Speaker 4: Badly? I think that at the moment Trump may be suffering from the classic syndrome. And it's interesting that we were talking about Dick Cheney because Dick Cheney was the past masters, to say, the godfather of Neokon and unitary Presidency of presidential authority. He was also a past master, being the lapdog. He said whatever Bush wanted to hear. And at the moment, I think there's a problem in having too many people in the White House were loyal. The Trump isn't getting sensible advice and he's rather taking what's happened with Ukraine and Gaza. And he's done good work, there absolutely no doubt about it. But he's beginning to think he can do it anywhere, and he's rather forgetting his magabase. And they're not going to let him get involved in an out and out replay of Iraq or Afghanistan. They're not going to let it happen. So I think he's going to have problems. What I would see is if Madia doesn't leave just on the basis of threat, some sort of I'm not going to otherby use the word contrived, but I'll use it, some sort of contrived incident on the ground in Venezuela, CIA operatives made getting killed. What you will then see is a very short sharp air strike regime. And if that doesn't move the Duro, I'm not quite sure what happened Sace. I would be surprised to see American troops, mainstream troops on the ground in Venezuela. I think it would be more like Bosnia and severe strike. Oh man targets to scare the Durro rout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know we've seen this movie before time and time again. Right at some point, Hey, maybe it's now We're going to go into Venezuela and uh, okay, we're not going to do well. We got to do boots out of the ground, and now it ties up US resources and this frees up our rivals and that would be the mentioned nations we spoke of here, uh, to create more opportunities for them. And you know, at this point, then they start you can see it, right then they start funding a proxy war where Russia and China maybe a rand start arming the Venezuelan resistance like in Syria. And we've done this for the emptieth time.
Speaker 4: Well I mean, I mean, Scott, I will say is radio. It'stop television, so your listeners can't see. Although I'm giving you the run down, my head is gently resting on the desk saying what you're saying, which is, oh no, please not again.
Speaker 7: Really, come on.
Speaker 2: We get back, and it's a lady getting bogged down there like Russia did in Afghanistan, like we didn't erect it. That's probably what's going to happen.
Speaker 4: And more than that, there is this danger too. Putin and ISAs in Pin are fairly young by the standards of leaders of those societies, and they're not stupid. Peutin made great hay in the Nords with the invasion of Iran and Afghanistan, and he went into Georgia and Chechhnya and sorted that out. And every time anyone complained he said, I'm sorry you went into Iraq and Afghanistan because he said they were terrorists there who were threatening the national security. Well, they are Muslim terrorists in Chechen in Georgia threatening Russia. What's the difference. The danger is if we go into Venezuela. And the immediate danger I see, quite aside from Putant digging in over Ukraine, is that China might turn around and say, oh, well, we regard Taiwan right, and that's our backyard, So now why can't we do the same thing. Why can't we lawn chairs strikes against Taiwan. That's the danger.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and without any you know, not that we're going to get us UN author The UN's kind of feckless at this point, or it's a joke, but you know, it's just in an under minds that moral authority we had, whether it's Taiwan or Ukraine for that matter, right, international rules go out the window and we're back to getting bogged down again. This is but Jeff Gilson, this whole thing's happening exactly the time when our global dominance is being threatened by these other countries. Is this a way of standing up and saying okay in a good break either way? Obviously too, we're reasserting our regional control over our backyard. But at the same time we risk exposing ourselves to the limits of our power in this new new world order.
Speaker 4: I agree, and I mean I'm observing reasonably even handedly. But you know, if if I'm a president and I've not been back in my second term for more, it's not even been a year yet, and I've gilded everything, and I've got a bit boring, and I run Washington, it is very very difficult scot and particularly you've not got people around you who are giving you alternative advice. It's very very difficult to stop and to you know, it's one thing it's difficult to self start. It's also difficult to self stop. And he's done a great job in Ukraine and Gaza. But the end result is stop what's going on and get out. And I don't think there's anyone there saying no, sir, you don't want to go into Venezuela. And this regard Marco Rubio is drenched in neo goon. There is absolutely no way he is. He is native Maga, he is a neogon, and he believes in controlling Latin America and in regime change. And that's the danger because interestingly, up again talking about Dick Cheney. Absolutely absolutely, Marco Rubio is probably the most powerful secret state at the moment since Henry Kissinger. And I think that there has been this deal done where y much Rubio can do what you want in Americas, and that's the danger. And I can say, Scott, I've written a book about strange intelligence activities and networks to go on for thirty years and powers behind the throne. I'm looking hard for something in Venezuela that we might be missing, and I've even looked into this strange attempted coup in the twenties. In twenty twenty called the Bay of Piglets interesting.
Speaker 7: I don't see it. Venezuela is a destroyed country.
Speaker 4: I know that Iran and China and Russia are in there, but it's like Casablanca in the forties, think the movie.
Speaker 7: I don't see what a frett it is.
Speaker 4: The Only thing I came across recently, beside from the oil says, is that Venezuela and along the north of Latin America and down the eastern seaboard of Latin America are huge positive rare earth minerals. We know that Donald Trump is looking to get a supply of rare earth minerals, but is it worth invasion if you're in this order. I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, anything else.
Speaker 2: And oil obviously to oil rich countries that those but the rare earth animals minerals kind of jump off the page there and then the second we have left here, Jeff, most likely outcome is okay, full invasion. I don't know if we work with it's smart to do that, but he limited strikes and then you know, Russia and China can yell at us and threaten us, but they're not going to really do anything and then gradually we you know, get some assets in there, I suppose, but and then say victory, and it's like and the country just continues doing what they're doing.
Speaker 7: Well, I suspect something like that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And the only thing I think working in favor of this is that, and this is probably a subject for a discussion amount the time, is that Russia and China are not as strong now as they were ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean economically spent the going of China for and foremost here, I think they're the biggest clear and present danger. Rush is all tied up with, you know, with a war, and you can dragging them down in Iran as obviously terrorists the biggest terrorst sponsor, but China is the biggest scared to us because it's lay in that long, slow economic bleed game. And I think that that's probably the biggest fear in this whole situation is how far China pushes back.
Speaker 4: Capitalism is the most democratic form of economy that you can have. I can tell you it may not be today, it may not be tomorrow, it may not be for the next fifty years. But if China genuinely introduces capitalism, which it has democracy has to follow, and that is what is plaguing China at the moment. It's an Asson p and he's having to pull back a bit because he's not got the leeway he used to have, which is why he's trying to impose more authority. We see the imposing authority as a strength.
Speaker 7: It's not.
Speaker 4: It's a weakness in my opinion, because the Chinese people want more and they want democracy. So he's actually got his own problems home. And of course Puton is nowhere near as strong as he was because the invasion of Ukraine has been a traumatic demonstration of just how useless is the Russian military.
Speaker 2: Jeff Gilson former speechwriter for the late Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, also geopolitical expert and The Real Game with Venezuela. The Inside Game Here. Jeff, thanks for jumping on the show this morning.
Speaker 7: Hey, I'm going to come back, Yes, sir.
Speaker 2: We've got weather here and at least of the lunchtime hour anyway, full news and weather and traffic update and how that's affecting things in just four minutes here on seven hundred Wow. Then when I return, it's Mental Health Monday, our licensed mental health therapist Julie Headersh here is here. We will talk about the number one sign you see in as adult with childhood trauma. So, yeah, well, there's a kid. You know, you're traumatized quite frequently depending on your childhood. What is the number one thing that manifests itself later on in your adult life that goes back to your childhood. So'll get into that next on the show Scott's Loan seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Everyone needs help every now and then, and she's here to help us get our heads right. This is Mental Health Monday with mental health expert Julie Hattershire.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more than two thirds of children experience at least one traumatic event by the age of sixteen, so safe to say most of us have experienced some sort of a traumatic event. And I'd imagine this is not new. This goes back to our childhood, maybe even before some of these things were diagnosed. But there is an adult life all this stuff, you know, not always but often comes back to manifest itself on other forms. The number one sign of childhood trauma and adults is well, it's Julie Hattersh. Here's here with the answer. Here on seven hundred other Julie, good morning. How are you?
Speaker 5: Good morning? I'm fine.
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm fine. The snow is flying. It makes me happy. But some people may be depressed by all this white stuff that's falling and soon melting. But uh, a little early. But I'm kind of writing in the Christmas spirit. I don't mind it.
Speaker 5: It kind of looks pretty, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: You're not stuck in it.
Speaker 5: Exactly, which we're not going to because I don't think there's going to be that much of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, well if you're in it now, I'm saying, all right, So yeah, it's typical. I think people have this reaction like, oh my god, it's all about your childhood and your bad parenting. But yeah, I mean, you think about the problems that we have in society, in the world for that matter. If we had a cure for parenting and everyone we're a good parent, we wouldn't have all the problems we have in the world, safe to say.
Speaker 10: I mean, there's a lot of ways to be a good parent, and there are some ways to screw things up, and even the most well meaning of us occasionally screw it up with our kids. And what we may think is a minor ish kind of thing to.
Speaker 5: Our kid may be kind of a big deal.
Speaker 10: But when we're talking about childhood trauma, we're talking about typically things that go on for a.
Speaker 5: Period of time.
Speaker 10: I mean, we all know the traumas of like you know, a car accident or a terrible thing like that.
Speaker 5: When we're talking about childhood trauma, we're typically talking about things.
Speaker 10: That go on for a period of time, like bullying in school, or having a parent who is volatile and difficult, or having a neglect in your home where you have food insecurity, things like that. Those are the kinds of things that we're talking about, right.
Speaker 2: But the number one sign of childhood trauma adults is what.
Speaker 11: Well.
Speaker 10: I had clients send me this and I thought it was fascinating and I thought our listeners would maybe be interested in it. So apparently the number one sign of childhood trauma in adults is trying to make a difficult person be good to you, persistently, consistently trying to make someone who is difficult like you and be good to you, whether that's a friend, a family member, your boss, a coworker, somebody who is difficult, really trying hard, making it your mission to help to make that person be kind and be nice.
Speaker 5: And be good to you.
Speaker 2: People pleasing, people.
Speaker 10: Pleasing at an extraordinary level. Not just people pleasing in a normal way, because a lot of us do that and that isn't necessarily a sign of trauma, but taking the most difficult person you are encountering and working your butt off to try to make them be good to you, to try to make them.
Speaker 5: Like you and be kind to you.
Speaker 10: That level of people pleasing is, according to this researcher, the number one sign of childhood trauma in adulthood. And it was news to me, so I thought it might be news to everybody else.
Speaker 2: Interesting people might be interested in that context. Off, do you see this in your practice? When what does that pattern look like?
Speaker 10: In my practice, that looks like people who are in relationships with a particularly difficult partner, but they don't want to leave the relationship. They twist themselves into pretzel shapes to make their partner be kind to them, be nice to them, be good to them, be loving to them. Or people come in and they're doing that with their parents. They're twisting themselves into pretzel shapes to make the parents approve of them, to seek their validation to seek their love. So these are people who chase validation and approval and love from somebody.
Speaker 5: That's very, very hard to get it from. And we don't feel good about themselves unless they can.
Speaker 2: So we have the self esteem issue going on there too. Yeah, and how does that how does that all start? I mean, does it get back to that concept they inner child? I mean, I know it's kind of a worn out trope, but it doesn't.
Speaker 5: It well, it does?
Speaker 10: I mean, we are all products of our upbringing. And although we don't like to look at our parents and blame them or hold them responsible for our shortcomings, we are very quick often to credit our parents with the things that.
Speaker 8: We do well in the world.
Speaker 5: I am who I am because of my dad, or I am who.
Speaker 10: I am because of my mom. And we are all products of our upbringing. So you know, my kids are of my raising them and their dad. Your kids are of you and your wife raising them. You are of your parents raising you. Also, our communities, our.
Speaker 5: Larger families, But we're all products of that. So it's not possible.
Speaker 10: To divest ourselves of that and to say only the good things come from my parents and the bad things are all on me.
Speaker 5: That's not the way it works.
Speaker 10: So if we are raised in circumstances that are uncertain, unpredictable, unsafe, we grow up believing that the world is uncertain, unpredictable, and unsafe, and we grow up with this model of trying to create certainty where there is uncertainty. So think about it in terms of you've got a really angry parent at home, parent who flies off the handle for no particular reason. In order to feel safe, you need that parent to be predictable and less volatile. So if you can make them like you, if you can make them be nice to you, if you can make them be good to you, then they are less volatile, less unpredictable, and you are safer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, makes sense.
Speaker 10: Okay, So we grow up with that model, and we continue to perpetuate in ourdult lives that same dynamic, often, in fact, most of the time without actually recognizing we're doing it.
Speaker 5: We just want.
Speaker 10: Everybody to like us. Well, we want everybody to like us or be nice to us, because if they like us, they won't hurt us. If they're nice to us, they won't be mean to us. If they like us and they're nice to us, we're safe and if they don't, then we're not. And that does come back to that inner child that we didn't actually get the safety and security we needed as a kid, and we're trying to find it again and again and again as an adult in other people.
Speaker 2: Right, And when that pattern keeps going in adulthood, it just establishes that self esteem thing, right.
Speaker 10: It does, because it's really difficult to feel good about yourself if your safety and security and well being are dependent on the most.
Speaker 5: Difficult person in the room.
Speaker 1: How do you fix it?
Speaker 10: Not well, knowing.
Speaker 5: It's there is the first step.
Speaker 10: Understanding that that is not the way the rest of other people in the world operate necessarily, and that there is a reason for it, and that there is something you can do about it. So recognizing it is the first step. And I think that's what was so interesting. This apparently went viral on TikTok, this conversation between this researcher, doctor Tian and doctor Romani Dvossola, who is that's a mouthful, who is an expert in narcissism, and she asked him the question, what's the.
Speaker 5: Number one sign?
Speaker 10: And he said, trying to make a difficult person be good to you, and that went viral on TikTok, so apparently it's resonated with a lot of people who see this pattern in themselves of trying to make difficult people be good to them. So recognizing it's there and then understanding how you can build your self esteem and self worth from the inside out. Sometimes that requires therapy. Sometimes just recognizing that you're doing it is enough for some people. Just recognizing, oh, I'm banging my head against this wall. I'm going to stop doing that and go do something else. Sometimes that's enough for people, just to recognize that that's not necessarily healthy or necessary.
Speaker 2: All right, and breaking that cycle's got to be tough, because you know you've been doing it ever since your child.
Speaker 10: Yes, it can be really difficult, and what makes it harder is that we tend to go out and search for relationships in our lives.
Speaker 5: And I'm not just talking about the people you marry.
Speaker 10: I'm talking about your friends or sometimes the people that you choose to work with. Are for we go out and choose relationships in our lives that mirror the relationships that we were raised with. So many people have a lot of difficult people in their lives, if they were raised with difficult people in their family, because that dynamic of I want to make you like me and be good to me is.
Speaker 5: What they're very familiar with.
Speaker 10: So for some people, it's not just one relationship they have to address, it's a number of different relationships that they're now recognizing they probably unconsciously chose because they repeat that familiar dynamic.
Speaker 2: All right, So what about the other person's relationship, And that'd be the one who is well, quote unquote the abuse your own state, it's an abuse. But the one who you have to walk around eggshells on what happened.
Speaker 10: On them, Well, oftentimes they go through life relatively unaware of the damage that they're causing, or feeling kind of entitled to cause that damage. I mean, I've spoken to so many people who raised their children using corporal punishment, and they feel perfectly entitled to do that. I've raised I've worked with a lot of people who are in relationships where they are the controlling or emotionally abusive one, and they feel perfectly entitled to do that. They see nothing wrong with their behavior. So oftentimes those people will go through the rest of their life feeling entitled to and perfectly justified in the way that they're behaving. And it's the other person's problem, which again makes it hard if you're the one on the receiving end of that, because you believe.
Speaker 5: What you're and I'm air quoting here.
Speaker 10: Abuser says that it's your fault. If you hadn't done X, they wouldn't have treated you that way. So if you don't do X again, they won't treat you that way. In a healthy person, that would be true. But in somebody who is not healthy, like in this case the abuser, they're going to continue to treat you badly.
Speaker 5: They're just going to find new reasons to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's an awfully difficult cycle to break, for sure. She's Julie hattersh here on the show this morning. It's mental health money in Sconsolan show. And the number one sign of childhood trauma and adults is trying to get difficult people to like us, to be good as people pleasers if you will too. And so it's a survival mechanism basic from childhood. And this is the number one biggest screw up that parents have. And I mean, if we know that now is there a hope that this ends at some point.
Speaker 1: I just did.
Speaker 2: I don't see. It's human nature, right, We're just going to have bad parents lead to bad decisions in life and lead to well a lot of the criseses we have today. But crime and everything else preventable by better parenting.
Speaker 10: Well, I think a lot of things are preventable by better parenting and better relationships in general, better relationships between siblings, between husbands and wives, or partners, between parents and children. But I want, I want to say it's not even just bad parenting. It's because I think when we say bad parents, we are inclined to think, well, my parents weren't bad.
Speaker 5: They did the best they could. They just didn't know any better.
Speaker 10: They didn't have a lot, they were stressed, they were frustrated. It's not just the parents intent to be a bad parent or not to be a good parent. It's the way the child receives it. It's what it feels like to the kid. So I'm going to give you a quick example. When I was married to my first husband, when we were raising our children, we made a decision that we thought was going to be great for the whole family. We really did, We carefull, we thought it through, we thought it was going to be great for the whole family. It was a really bad choice for my older son. He really had some challenges around that decision that we made. So we made a very careful, thoughtful decision that we thought was going to be good for the family, and it turned out not to be good for him. It can be things like that, things that as parents we think are the right choice for a kid and turns out because of how things worked out or because of who that child, is not the right choice for them, And it can be seen by the child and felt by the child as something traumatic.
Speaker 5: So when we say bad parents, I.
Speaker 10: Also want to say sometimes it's good parent making a choice that turns out not to be good for the kid in question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, part is like, you know, you're so hard on yourself as a parent. You're doing the right thing because there is no instruction manual, and it's a fluid world in which we live and things change, and of course there's you know, hormones and emotion a whole bunch of other factors involved here too. But generally, I think most parents try to do what's best by their kids. If you're some sort of psychopath or a complete narcissists a different story entirely, but by and large that's true. And it's like, you know, as a parent, how much guilt should you carry for these things?
Speaker 10: I think you should carry a responsibility, but not guilt. I think you should carry accountability, and I think you should take a look at what you were and were not able to do for your children. But I also want to take this outside the role of just parents and say it's a larger thing in the community. So racism and other kinds of discrimination can have huge impacts on young children. Violence, community violence if they live in a difficult, violence ridden community, or school violence, the school shootings, school bullying. There are things out religious abuse. There are things outside the nuclear family that come into play as well. It's not just mom and dad and grandma and grandpa.
Speaker 5: Who are influencers in kids' lives.
Speaker 10: It's their friends, it's their community, it's their coaches, it's their mentors, it's their teachers, and challenging circumstances in any of those can have a negative impact on the kid. Even if the nuclear family is pretty stable and solid and pretty put together, if.
Speaker 5: You're some larger ranging.
Speaker 2: If you're someone who in the pattern.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: You know, when you're trying to please difficult people, it's familiarity, it's low self esteem, and it's seeking validation. You tend to then choose your friends and the so based on that as well. You could have an abusive employer. You can have someone who takes a codependent neighbor, a friend who takes advantage of you constantly. You just set yourself for all of that, And then why are you so attracted to if it makes you miserable?
Speaker 10: Well, because it's familiar. So I know many people who were raised in difficult circumstances who purposely go to work for bosses that they know will be difficult. So these are people who had options to do other things and chose to work for a boss that they knew would be difficult because they could handle it. So other people might take a look at that boss who they believe will be very difficult and say, ohn need that stress and hassle in my life and peace out. But these people go toward that because they can handle it, because they know how to handle difficult people. That's the situation in which that would be a choice that somebody would make Oftentimes they choose people in their lives, friends or mates, partners, who represent or act like, or remind them of their more difficult family member, whoever it was, usually a parent, but not always, and so they can replicate and maybe come out on the top end, the winning end of that dynamic. So let's say you're a kid who could never get mom or dad to really pay attention to you. You were an escapegoat kid. Nobody paid attention to you.
Speaker 3: They didn't.
Speaker 5: They blamed you for all the bad.
Speaker 10: Stuff, paid no attention to the good stuff. You marry someone who treats you that same way, hoping that not consciously, this is subconsciously hoping that you can come out on the winning end, that they will value you, they will love you.
Speaker 5: You can feel it that way, and it usually.
Speaker 10: Doesn't doesn't work out there, all right, it usually doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Maybe you pick something up here and you know you can apply it to yourself to some degree. She's Julie. Hat is your license of mental health therapist. You can get aholder and hey Julie at the letter BB Connected doc Care here in Cincinnati, and it's mental health Monday with Julie Lights Again. I have a great week, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you boyd bye.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I got to get a news up there. Did in here momentarily on the snowy Monday traffic concerns all over the place as well. Chuck will get you updated there. It's a Scott Sloan show on seven hundred WWT.
Speaker 6: You want to be an American floony.
Speaker 2: Back on seven hundred W wellw on this snowy Monday morning. Speak of the house Larry Householder, Remember that guy serving twenty years in the federal pen for his role in the sixty million dollar racketeering in bribery scheme. Remember he got money for supporting nuclear power plant ballots, coal power plants. That is the largest public corruption scandal in this history of the Buckeye State and the former state head of the GOP also in prison. Another conspirator killed himself. Two more awaiting trial. But there are some other charges out there, and as such, Ohio Secretary of State Franklin Rose criticized the Ohio Elections Commission for refusing to act on nearly eighty criminal campaign compliance related to this whole corruption scandal, and he joins the show now to discuss mister Secretary. Good morning, how are.
Speaker 1: You, hey, good morning.
Speaker 9: Well, and this is probably why the Ohio General Assembly has decided to get rid of the Ohio Election Commission as of the end of this year and replace it with something far better. But we can talk about.
Speaker 2: That too, all right, Well, let's play the timeline out on this thing here, because it's it's pretty disturbing.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So what happened was that, you know, when the initial charges were filed by the FBI, we were asked by the state and local authorities to get our complaint filed with the Ohio Elections Commission because they have to start things there if they're going to continue the process into the you know, into the courts. And so we went through the federal indictment. We found, well, these are federal crimes, but here are some state crimes that also occurred from the same evidence that have been gathered, and we filed gosh, I think it was well over one hundred complaints with the Ohio Elections Commission, which is you know, how the process begins. The problem is that was over five years ago, and they've continued to sit on these. You know, at one point they said, well, we got to wait until the federal trial was over. Well, okay, that was over a couple of years ago, So why didn't they keep moving? And the problem is also that there's a thing called statute of limitations, which basically means if the government doesn't act within a period of time, then you know, you're off the hook. And again, these aren't the necessarily the kind of things that put him in jail, but they are things like missing campaign finance deadlines, failure to disclose certain things. They are in fact crimes and they should in fact be prosecuted under Ohio's election laws.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there's a lot to unpacked there with a lot most people don't really pay attention to election law, but yeah, it's obviously it's important. And I don't know, you know, you, as the Secretary of State, do you have other tools or authority to escalate this matter once you saw that they were going to procrastinate and hold us up. I mean, why wait till the five year statute limitations is over?
Speaker 9: Yeah? No, not really, it's it's in the authority of the Ohio Elections Commission once we file it there. Other than you know, making noise about it, and we have been doing that, but it's really up to them Act, and that again is one of the things that's going to be fixed with the creation of the new Ohio Election Integrity Commission, which begins on January first, where we will have the ability, uh to work through that body to bring fines, for example, for a clear violation like failing to file a campaign finance report or failing to disclose certain things, and and so that will will help. But again, it feels like the Ohio Elections Commission is just punting this and and and essentially they know that we'll have the responsibility of running the Ohio Elections Integrity Commission starting in January, and they just don't want to deal with it, so they're punting it to us.
Speaker 2: The makeup of the commission, I believe it. It's three Republicans, three Democrats, one independent.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's how it's it's set up. And h you know, most of these too, aren't really a partisan thing. It's did the you know, did the person in question violate the law? And if you look at a lot of these, are you know, somebody again didn't file a campaign finance report, or they're not disclosing things they're supposed to disclose, or things like not putting a disclaimer on their advertisements, those kind of things, pretty simple stuff.
Speaker 8: Did you or did you not violate the law?
Speaker 2: Okay, but Franklin Rose, the criminel prosecution windows closed? What accountabilities left?
Speaker 6: Then?
Speaker 2: If the statute of libitations are have hit and expired, then what's the point.
Speaker 9: Not in all cases, in some of the some of the complaints it has.
Speaker 8: In some of the complaints.
Speaker 9: That has not, and you know, in the ones where it has, they should just go ahead and dismiss it, of course, and on the ones where it hasn't, they.
Speaker 8: Should take action.
Speaker 9: And again, what we're talking about here in most cases is fines against the committee. But when a law is not enforced, it's not a law, it's a mere suggestion. And we want to make sure that people know in Ohio that when you break the law, it's going to be enforced.
Speaker 8: It's a de turn effect as well.
Speaker 9: People should know that we take election law violations seriously and that if you mess around, you'll find out.
Speaker 2: He's Secretary of State Franklin Rose in the show this morning and making some substant allegations against the Election Commission of Ohio that they are negligent and acting one hundred and eighty criminal complaints at violent election law that simply have expired because the statute of limitations only five years. They've done nothing on what's the motive?
Speaker 9: Oh, I think just good old fashioned procrastination. I honestly, I don't think there's anything more nefarious than that. I think they don't want to deal with this because it's difficult. There's a particular problem with the guy who's the executive director there, who's a sort of well known footdragger, and the rest of the commission tends to take their cues from the director because the director is the full time staff expert who's on duty sort of, you know, five days a week there at the Elections Commission, and so the part time commission members that are ultimately responsible though, they're the ones that just sort of end up taking cues often from the director.
Speaker 8: And the director's been dragging his feet on this.
Speaker 9: He makes the excuse that they needed to hold off till the federal trial was done, and that happened a while ago, and I don't know why they haven't acted yet.
Speaker 2: What's the next step here? It's blowing up the election Commission. They're done at the end of the year, but what's the next step after that?
Speaker 9: Then, Well, starting January first, my office takes responsibility for what's called the Ohio Election Integrity Commission. It's a reconstituted form of the Ohio Elections Commission. It's going to be a much more responsible body, I can assure you, though, because we plan to keep things moving quickly through the process. We've planned to clear the backlog that exists right now, and we've planned to work on resolving the over one hundred million dollars in unpaid fines. I think about that, over one hundred million dollars of fines that have been accrued over the last gosh twenty years that nobody's paying, and let's be honest, probably sixty seventy percent of those at this point are uncollectable because the entities in question are defunct and people have died and moved away, whatever else. But that still leaves a large portion of those that are collectible, and we need to take enforcem an action to get those collected. So there's a whole lot of things that we need to do to tighten up the work of the Ohio Elections Commission, and that's why we completely scrapped it and we're revamping it in a whole new thing starting January first.
Speaker 2: Has a governor spoke a lot about this or anyone from the General Assembly, Well.
Speaker 9: The General Assembly are the ones that passed the bill to get rid of the Ohio election and take or Ohio Election Commission rather, And so yeah, they spoke out in that sense. The Attorney General also spoke out about this in a letter that he sent to the OEC this week or last week rather, because he had been part of the effort to compile these complaints against.
Speaker 8: The householder at all.
Speaker 9: And so yeah, pretty much everybody that's looked at this is how is it possible that these guys have not acted in five years of time just sitting on.
Speaker 2: This, and yet it's not the biggest stories it should be.
Speaker 8: I don't think it is.
Speaker 9: And again that's why I was glad that you called me up protected me over the last couple of days and said, hey, would you come on the show talk about it, because it is something people need to know about. Again, it's about effective enforcement of the law. Yeah, householders in prison. He's going to be for a long time. Several of the other folks involved have paid the penalty that they need to pay. But this is about making sure that when laws are violated that there are penalties for doing that. And yet maybe not as serious as the federal charges that he faced and is now in prison for, but still serious matters again failure to disclose, failure to file campaign finance reports, all of the campaign finance shenanigans that he was engaged in. These are the charges for that, and again there need to be penalties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the federal crimes of course of embezzlement and alike, people are paying a price. That utlist goes to the trial of that, and we know that First Energy paid substantial fines as well to make that go away. But you know, there's the campaign finance law nuance that you're talking about here, and that goes unchecked. That just gives license for other elected officials or those people seeking office to do whatever all they want if we're not going to enforce the laws.
Speaker 8: And that's the problem. Again.
Speaker 9: We believe in transparency and disclosure. It's kind of a foundational thing as it relates to campaigns. The public wants to know how are you raising money for your campaign and on what are you spending it? Those are things that you know my office is responsible for However, the Election Commission is responsible for enforcing it. And therein lies the problem. And that's why once we we created the new Election Integrity Commission that starts January first, we're going to have much more of what in the military we called unity of command, where we can focus on these matters, do the investigations that we need to do, levy the fines that need to be levied, and then of course if somebody doesn't like that, they always have the appeal to go into the court system. Really, what this all is is the intermediary step before it goes into into the court system. But again, we should be able to resolve a lot of these things. Hey, you didn't pay your or, you didn't disclose your campaign spending, you didn't designate a treasure before you started raising money, you didn't put a disclaimer on your on your television ads.
Speaker 8: What have you.
Speaker 9: We should be able to resolve a lot of that stuff without it going to the course.
Speaker 8: And that's the whole point of this.
Speaker 2: Explain how how you think that's not just more than sound like we're just changing one element of bureaucracy out for another. Because you know, the largest it's the largest corruption scheme in the history of Ohio and it's been going on for years. The statute of limitations expired on what you're talking about, and that shows suggests to me there's problems beyond just one director or a panelist or whatever you call the commission. How does this change this?
Speaker 9: You know, accountability matters, and this is why we have a system of government where we elect people and then hold them accountable to do a job. And if they want to get re elected or you know, continue on in public service, they have to do a good job, right, Okay, basic civics.
Speaker 8: One O one kind of thing.
Speaker 9: The problem with some of these state commissions is that they don't exist in a way that is transparent or public. Most people didn't know that the Ohio Election Commission existed unless you were at some point of candidate for public office yourself. By rolling it into the Secretary of State's office, which is the way it is in most other states. And this is really putting it putting us in line with the majority of other states. You've got an accountable public official, somebody that has to stand in front of the public and answer for the work they do. That is going to be running this, but you also have that bipartisan body that will be actually adjudicated the decisions, and so it's a good model. The secretary of State's office will house it as far as the administrative work and keeping the trains running on time. But before a fine can be levied, it's got to go in front of the Commission for a vote. And again that's a bipartisan body that'll have to make those decisions. So you've got the due process that needs to be there, but you've also got the accountability of putting it within the Secretary of State's office. And again, anybody that sits in this seat should be held accountable by the voters.
Speaker 8: If they don't do it.
Speaker 2: There's just another hearing, and I think they kick the can down the road for the unseen time over number of years. You would have a conversation with the director or the chair. What would there excuse be about all this or any member of the committee for them.
Speaker 9: Yeah that the At first it was that the federal trial had not concluded. Okay, I guess that's fine. I don't think no, I guess on a parallel basis. But then it was, well, he hasn't exhausted all of his appeals. Well, for heaven's sakes, appeals can go on endlessly, as you know, and so waiting for there to be some end of the appeals, like eventually it goes all the way to the Supreme Court or something is a fool's errand and so once the once the federal trial was done, and you know, they should have taken action. But again, this is a group that's been expert at kicking the can down the road and kind of pointing the finger somebody else's problem and what have you. That ends effective January person.
Speaker 2: All right, So the one hundred and eighty complaints that you foiled in the last five years. Now the statute limitations, is this just Householder's office or how many lawmakers and are caught.
Speaker 3: Up in us?
Speaker 9: No, I mean it lays out who the person is that we're complaining against. Most of them were Larry Householder because he's the one responsible for his committee. And again it's uh, it goes through you know, everything from failure to uh disclosed, to failure to designate a treasure to not putting the proper disclaimer on things, to misuse of funds when you raise campaign dollars. You're supposed to use them for your campaign, right, not for other things, right, And so you know all over the list of them. Yeah, exactly, exactly so, And again you can see all that stuffy by going to the Ohio Election Commission website where they posted our complaint that we filed over five years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there and there it's it's well, they'll disbanded and started all over.
Speaker 3: In general.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, you are any of these charges that do they all fit in that five year time frame for statute limitations? Are there ones we've discovered since and have longer or they simply all expired at this point.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a question for a lawyer, and I'm not one to be very honest, but I do know that there are different statutes of limitations and so some have run out, some have not at this point. But but again, time is of the essence to get the to get the decks cleared on this. And again I think that the Ohio Elections Commission has used this as Hey, we fold up our tent starting January first, and so we're gonna pump this hot potato off to the next guys. Well, all right, once it's once it's our responsibility. We're gonna take it very seriously and move with alacrity.
Speaker 2: Was this the impetus to get rid of this commission?
Speaker 9: No, not, not, not solely. It was hundreds of things over the years, and you know, from just not moving fast enough, to being in some cases weaponized for for people playing politics. In other cases just sort of disparate treatment. One person gets a slap on the wrist and the other one gets the books thrown at them. There's been a whole variety of place. But the biggest thing is failure to collect their fines. Right again, remember this happened in the state budget, and the state budget is what eliminated this and replaced it with the new Election Integrity Commission. And so when the state Legislature was looking at, okay, the Election Commission needs money to operate this biennium, why don't they collect their fines because there again is nearly one hundred million dollars in outstanding five It's just it shows how ineffective they are, and and it's just one of the many examples for why we needed to get rid of it.
Speaker 2: All right, he is Frank LaRose on the show Secretary of State what's next for you?
Speaker 8: I'm heading to a Veteran's Day ceremony. Do you mean politically, Yeah, you know, I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to go probably launch after the show, but that's what politically now, I'm I.
Speaker 9: Am running for Auditor of State of Ohio. I'm genuinely excited about it. It's a platform that a lot of people don't think about the Auditor Office. I get that, but it is a platform to do great things for Ohio. It's the top watchdog for public corruptions. Sounds familiar, Yeah, any local or state officials that are lining their own pockets, that's the Auditor's job to catch them and make sure they face justice. But it's also Ohio Doge. It was, you know, it's the efficiency Office before there was Doge and maybe a slightly different approach, but you know, it's the office that's responsible for making sure that government runs efficiently. And news flash, government doesn't always run efficiently, so there's a lot of work that needs to be done there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ohio needs Doze desperately because there's a lot of fat on the bone and a lot of areas, so maybe you can clean that up. All right, Franklin Ross, thanks so much. For jo on the show.
Speaker 8: Good luck with that, thank you, sir.
Speaker 2: Take care be well, yeah, I mean clearly he's running for auditor and wants to come atcross as a reformist and you fighting against the institution. It's good, plays well, it plays well. But yeah, five years and now after the limitations are like, well, we can't do any about it because it expired, and I didn't ere much from the governor the General Assembly on this one. Frank Lrose bringing up after the fact. But you know, that's frustrating because if you're now this is it's obviously a bipartisan committee, pretty right down the middle, you know, three three and one. But at the same time, as much as we complain about and Republicans love to talk about law and order, this seems like an easy one, and yet it goes by the wayside, and it's frustrating. Right, our government not working for us now me and you, hell, we get the book thrown ass, we get to you. This is like I don't know them going now, We're not going to write speeding tickets anywhere I sent to These are speeding tickets for the political process. Then those laws exist for a reason, either you enforce them or you don't. I don't know why you could get away with turning the blind eye towards it, quite honestly, and this is why approval for all lawmakers from the top on down are at an all time low. Scott's Loan Show seven hundred WT Wealth FC Cincinnati advancing in the playoffs in front of a capacity to crowd A team than well Saturday night. What a fun game? What's not there? We watched it home and we're cheering on the Orange and Blue. They beat Columbus to one in the deciding game thro around Brenner's goal in the final minutes of regulation. Here's a call from Tommy G.
Speaker 1: Who could got to the ball?
Speaker 2: Sends it off for Japori knocks it down. Try to find Geedy Kitty, try to leave it now. It comes to printer a shot Man.
Speaker 1: At y'all, printer a Price, Jersey is off.
Speaker 6: Cincinnati leads to the one.
Speaker 2: Let's Go. That is the latest chapter of Hell Israel. It goes to the five Pine to three and on to host Inter Miami and Lionel Messi Laonel Messi. In two weeks, Tommy Galarder is on the show. Tommy G the voice of FC Cincinnati. Who you just heard? I love the Cameron, the booth, you're hugging your broadcast partner. It was such an ex I watched it at home with my wife and we were screaming. It was so exciting, And I would argue it's the best sports product in Cincinnati right now, save maybe the UC Bearcat.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think it's a fair argument. How you doing good to be here with you, happy to chat steel. My heart pumping a little bit after that one on Saturday night, and I think you know, if you saw reactions of people in their living room, if you saw Pete, reactions of people in the bailey, anywhere in the stadium, the coach is Kevin and myself in the booth, probably staff throughout the building wherever they're stationed, those reactions are probably indicative of kind of two years of emotions building up, going all the way back to that conference final in which Columbus came back to win and broke.
Speaker 1: The hearts of everybody here in the Queen City.
Speaker 11: So listen, you're the two seeds. You're supposed to win the series, but it wasn't easy. That Columbus team way better than the seventh seed or what you would expect.
Speaker 1: We knew it was gonna be one heck of a battle.
Speaker 11: And in the end, Thatchcontaty proved to be the better team and get it, I think in really impressive fashion with the way that they were able to come from behind. And in the second half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the first ten minutes I'm watching and it seemed like the fields lopside in favor of Columbus, saying zero's year. At the half, it's a nil nil. And when FC when Columbus scored, I actually cheered and my wife's look at me, you know that's not Cincinnati. No, Because the way they were playing, it seemed to me that you needed Columbus to do something to get them rally, to make them feel like they're backs against the wall, and they did, because they tied it up about four minutes later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, backs, we're squarely against the wall.
Speaker 11: And I think a lot of hard stones, a lot of stomachs turned inside out in that moment, being down at home and look at ce Cincinnati had lost their last seven games the seas In.
Speaker 1: When conceding the first goal.
Speaker 11: The great Patrick O'Leary and the Comics Department of put the set out afterwards. I think it's only the fourth time since the club joined Major League doctor that they've conceded the first goal in the second half and won a game. So think about that. All the odds in the world stacked against him. But moments later it literally, yeah, four minutes, but probably two minutes of game time because they looked at that Columbus go for a long time. Because for my money, I'm pretty sure Columbus was offside Andre Herrera making that run up the right time, because he was right in front of us, literally right in front of our booth, and I was pretty sure he's off that. But listen and Patt Newton made a point afterwards like there's nothing.
Speaker 8: You could do.
Speaker 11: If the restaurant has change it, the vaar is not going to step in.
Speaker 1: Then you got to play.
Speaker 11: And FC Cincinnati didn't mope around, they didn't feel start for themselves. They got right back to it. Renner equalizes the game. Then we come to find out that that Pat Nowton had called Brenner over and told him he was coming out of the game, and Brenner begged him, you know, let me stay in.
Speaker 1: I got another one in me, And boy did he ever.
Speaker 2: He sure did, He sure did.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It just felt to me like FC needed something to get him going at home like that and back against the wall. I was like, you know, after they scored, my good because you know, that's the wake up call they needed otherwise you lose. And sure enough they answered, and then of course in the waning minutes of regulation they scored the go ahead goal and that was, by the way, minutes stopage time. Tommy explain how that is very uncommon.
Speaker 1: Somebody has a faulty stopwatch as.
Speaker 11: Far as I'm concerned, because when that number went up, like what, I didn't show this on the boot camp, but Kevin and I just looked at each other like what do you mean nine minutes to stop at time? They got agregious and yeah, I don't know. I don't know where he got it from because there was a couple of little injuries. I mean there was They never went to the monitor, so I don't know how they possibly. You know, there wasn't a lot of bookings. I don't know where he got nine minutes from, but boy he did, and and those nine minutes fell like nine hours. There really was as a second kicked off to get to that full time whistle because obviously Columbus, with their life on the line, they're throwing everything at it, creating chances. Roman had to make, you know, one big stave in there. So yeah, it was a little bit of a chaotic stretch there.
Speaker 1: And that nine minutes was was shocking.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And if you're new to soccer, so how it works. The clock runs and then they dictate, Okay, if someone goes down with an injury, there's a stoppage, I add all those minutes up and then put it at the end. And it's always a running clock. And you know, I've watched a number of well most of the games this season, and you can attest to this, Tommy. You know, it's like sometimes you know, two minutes maybe a four or five. Nine is like, I don't know if I've seen.
Speaker 3: That this year.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean I think we had a game at some point that was ten or eleven minutes maybe.
Speaker 1: But there was a reason. You know, there's a big injury.
Speaker 11: There's a lot of bookings, there's a video review that takes three or four minutes. There was some science behind it. Man, it didn't feel like there was any times behind this one.
Speaker 1: It was it was shocking to say the least. And yeah, I mean we did.
Speaker 11: We were shaking our heads and holding our breaths for nine minutes to get to the full time with.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine had Columbus in that nine minute score to tied it up and it goes to a shoot. I mean, we would say, okay, there's a curse. There's a curse, right, We're cursed.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it would have been uh, I may have gotten sick in the booth.
Speaker 1: Who knows.
Speaker 11: That would have been Uh, that'd have been a very very concerning situation.
Speaker 1: Fortunately we didn't have to talk about that.
Speaker 11: Nothing but nothing but sun shine after that one, But man, it was Yeah. I think I think if I was talking to a couple, a couple of family members of the coaches afterwards, and they were talking about how many years they were thinking got shaved off their life across.
Speaker 1: That ninety minute plus nine affair. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is a Tommy g Voice of FC Cincinnati on to face Lionel Messi in or Miami in two weeks. That seems like a long time between matches.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 11: Uh, it's the you know, unfortunate reality of the way the Major League Soccer schedules stacked up as it stands right now.
Speaker 1: You know, with the playoff break, we have.
Speaker 11: An international break here coming up next weekend, so a lot of guys are going out on international do So you can't imagine playing Miami and not having Miles Robinson, not av in Rominton Tonnel, not having teenager Davy you know, guys who have been called into the national teams regularly. So you know that that's the concern.
Speaker 1: That's why I take the break.
Speaker 11: But you're right, you lose kind of some momentum because you're sitting here, all right, let's go, let's get after it. But they got a couple of bumps and bruises, so let's look at.
Speaker 1: The other side of it.
Speaker 11: We'll have a couple of guys who will be able to get some needed rest, get healthy or healthier for that matchup.
Speaker 1: And and you look out the window right now, I hope the.
Speaker 11: Weather is just like this from that game when the boys from.
Speaker 1: Miami show up. You know, that would be nice.
Speaker 11: I hope, I hope there's some snow blowing through the stadium that it's you know, a solid twenty nine degrees a kick off good and and those boys from Florida want anything but to get back on that warm bus.
Speaker 2: My Bills got roughed up by the Dolphins yesterday. Yesterday I watched that game. You come from the cold weather and you play where it's ninety degrees. It looks like they're running through quicksand for most of the game, and they're good for one of those wins down there like that. Every couple of years against my Bills, it's the same thing. And they come up when they come up north here to Cincinnati. You know, a couple of inches of the snow or cold weather. Good good. It's turned about his fair play and you got Leonal Messi come out of town, which is going to bring the international media along. Is always the cases, so a lot of pressure there. Would you have rather had Nashville than Miami.
Speaker 11: You know, listening on paper, probably Nashville is an easier matchup. But and I think you know a team that f Shecincentni has handled well this year, But come on, bring it like you want to be the best in the league. You got to beat the best, and they're one of the best. Tied with fccon NADDY in the regular season on points, but she Cincinni.
Speaker 1: Had more wins so that's why this game is here and not there.
Speaker 11: So I say, bring it on, like you want to avenge out the lost that you contain lost, you know in the US Open Cup semifinals to Messy and Miami and twenty twenty three. So let's let's let's let's go. You can avenge another you know lost.
Speaker 1: In that building and uh, you know.
Speaker 11: See what lies ahead of that, whether that's you know, Philadelphia and you got to go on the road or New York City at home in the conference final. But no, I think ter Stay has matched up well against Miami at t qu Stadium.
Speaker 1: So bringing on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's so fun to watch too, with especially slaying that dragon and beating Columbus two to one on Saturday to advance of this whole thing as well. You mentioned earlier Roman Celatano when he had well, I think four saves in the game, but at least two of those things were absolutely massive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, big big moments.
Speaker 11: Uh you know, playoff playoff Roman is so impressive. He's been so good now, twelve playoff games in his career. Yeah, he's just been really, really good and for a fourth year pro. That's all he knows is the playoffs and he's crushed it. So that's great when you know you have a reliable goalkeeper in those situation, that's a big, big bonus for the squad.
Speaker 2: You know, Brenner gets that one. And in his story is interesting too because he is with the team from Saint Paulo and then he comes back and he's transferred back to an Italian club and he missed the twenty twenty three playoff run Columbus eliminating Cincinnati Eastern Conference, so ials remember that as well. His his comeback story is amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 11: You know, he left under not so great terms, you know when he when he took off for Italy and Una, you know, early in the twenty twenty three season after having a really good twenty twenty two season, And you know, if you had told me then that he was going to be back in scoring a brace against Columbus to help that f she since any advance in the twenty twenty five playoffs, probably would have told you're crazy. But you know, some fences were mended, and he certainly seems more mature and that there's been quite a bit of growth in the two and a half years since he was here.
Speaker 1: Previously. So you know, I give a credit to Brenner.
Speaker 11: I give a credit I know Jeff Berding was big and building the break, Chris Albright and Pat Noonan for being open minded to all right, we could bring this guy in and it's gonna be different than when he left.
Speaker 1: And he's been so good in the short.
Speaker 11: Amount of time that he's been back with the team and obviously scored the two goals to help s C.
Speaker 1: Cincinnati win on Saturday Night.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the foresight of Chris Albrough to to do that to get him back for the postseason was pretty smart.
Speaker 11: Yeah. I mean, listen, he knew that there were some holes in the roster and that they needed to be addressed.
Speaker 1: They brought in a couple of teching players.
Speaker 11: They brought in Sammy Geede who's been fantastic in the defensive midfield, and they started all three.
Speaker 1: Games against Columbus.
Speaker 11: You know, they addressed their needs, brought it into at Schnik in additional outside talent who's looked amazing. So yeah, I give Chris a lot of credit. He nailed all of his summer targets and they's put this team in a position to succeed and compete for.
Speaker 1: MLS Cup, which is ultimate goal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he also obviously have to talk about your coach, Pat Noonan, but he pulled Yankey out of the game for Jabbari. At the end, I'm like, oh man, why are you taking him out? That's the guy. And then it turns out that was the absolute correct decision.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, I was.
Speaker 1: Listen, it's not it's easy to sit in your seat on my seat and say, hey, are you sure.
Speaker 11: About this one, coach, But he's paid to make those decisions right, and listen, There'll be times in life that that they're not executed perfectly, but this one was.
Speaker 1: He had a feeling right.
Speaker 11: And that's how you have to manage these games as the head coach, and you live and die with those decisions. But he felt like the fresh legs of au Jubori would be helpful to size and we saw that in being able to pull that ball down in the box, which that ends up setting up that game winning goal.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And after the of course, the blowout in game two, setting up Game three as it were back in TQL Stadium, storybook ending for the club as they advanced to inter Miami in two weeks after international tests. How far can this club go realistically?
Speaker 11: I mean they have all the pieces on him and just serious to win MLS Cup. I've been saying that for since August when they brought in. You don't address the needs like we just talked about, It's not gonna be easy because look, you're gonna take on Messi and his best friends and enter Miami. But that game is here, Okay, big advantage. Then you turn around and you potentially have to go to Philadelphia. You know, doptin Pointsville on the way. Otherwise that game would have been in Cincinnati. Philadelphia deserve a champ of the Supporter Shield, So if they win, if they beat New York City, then that game will be on the road. But if it's New York City, it's here. But that's been a team that day, very super golt time with this year. Listen, we'll worry about that when we get there. But they got to win three more to lift MLS Cup. And we know MLS Cup final would be n TQL Stadium, which is beautiful, So uh, that's.
Speaker 1: Not far off. Is it gonna be easy? Absolutely not.
Speaker 11: No matter who they play on the way out, it's going to be a really really difficult challenge.
Speaker 1: But it's a playoffs, it should be a really difficult right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's not going to be a cakewalk, but there's no question they have the coach, they have the staff, and they have all the pieces.
Speaker 1: That they need to win MLS Cup.
Speaker 11: Now it's a matter of going out and executing.
Speaker 2: It for three more games, all right, twenty first, I believe right before Christmas twenty twenty third, I've seen multiple dates on this.
Speaker 11: No, No, MLS Cup is a Saturday, Okay, December Day, Yeah, that's Saturday, all right, gotcha.
Speaker 2: Well regardless, you'll be there. Tommy, Hey, thanks for jumping on. Let's thanks for jumping on, brother, appreciate you enjoyed that call a lot. That is Tommy G. Voice of the FC Cincinnati Club advancing. Great call, almost as good as this cul