Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has be gone.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: We're Gota running back to.
Speaker 5: Get him on the show called eight six six eight seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever.
Speaker 1: You catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 4: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vase with you until eleven o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers fall to the Marlins tonight by a final score of two to one, with show Hey Otani on the mound, but not in the Dodger lineup, the Dodgers opting to allow Otani just to pitch tonight with a day game tomorrow, second time this year that O'twani has pitched but not been in the lineup.
Speaker 4: And look it's hard to argue, right.
Speaker 2: Otani, in sixty four at bats is hitting just above two hundred with the Dodgers on days games that he pitches, and he only has two home runs so on this I'm.
Speaker 4: Kind of with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: You know, Andrew Friedman talked to us on Saturday that there are going to be times like tonight where Otani's the starting pitcher and is not in the starting lineup. There's gonna be other games where Otani is doing both, but maybe gets the next day off and is available to come off the bench late in the game as a pinch hitter. So you know, I honestly, I'm on board with this plan. The Dodgers have got to find a way to keep a thirty one year old unicorn, the most unique and greatest player in the game, healthy for the entire season. And it's not as simple as just letting him go out there and do both once a week, because the recovery is a lot harder than you may imagine, even for you know, a physical specimen like Otani.
Speaker 4: He's human.
Speaker 2: We all have to acknowledge that, and most pictures the day after they start, they have to go through a lot to recover for the next five or six days to be able to go back out on the mound. And he's doing something nobody else is doing. He's not just a guy in the lineup. He's your leadoff hitter. He's the catalyst. He's the guy that can carry You can change the game with one swing.
Speaker 4: So I'm on board with this.
Speaker 2: And we heard what Otani had to say in the Clubhouse show as far as his thoughts and all this, but I got a direct quote translated from one of the Japanese media members. This is what O'tani said when he was asked about his feelings on the Dodgers load managing him on knights that he pitches. He said, quote, Personally, I'm pretty much fine either way. I just want to go in whatever role they tell me to. If they say go, then I'm ready to go in that role. From the team's overall perspective, it's a long season, so there may be times when they want to give other players opportunities at DH as well, and for me personally in terms of staying healthy over the course of the season, having starts like this where I'm only pitching could maybe be a positive too, So I'm leaving that completely up to the team and however they want to use me. I just want to be prepared and ready to perform and whatever role they ask and ask of me.
Speaker 4: End quote.
Speaker 2: So, just like he said, during the Clubhouse show. He's basically going with what the Dodgers have laid out for him, or what they feel is the best to keep him healthy for the entire year, and we'll all I'll find out at the end of the season if it worked or not. But to me, this makes complete sense and we'll see where it goes from here. But he should be in the lineup tomorrow and look, Otani leading off changes the dynamic of any lineup. But tonight, I don't know if he would have made a huge difference considering the way the rest of the lineup performed. Outside of Will Smith, who had three hits, Dalton Rushing was the Dodger dh tonight. He was zero for four with the only run scored, and Dalton I thought, you know, he again may have had one of those social media moments, but it wasn't his fault. In the fifth inning, This to me is on home played umpire Clinton Vondracht. He was kind of off all night. He was kind of daydreaming because there's a video online and I forgot when inning this wee but Otani was trying to get his attention. He actually had to waive a few times to get the home played umpire's attention that he was coming set. And in the fifth inning, with two strikes, Dalton Rushing asked for time Sports and at La had a great replay of it. He's looking at the home plate umpire's direction and into his eyes in the same time time and I know your requesting time, and it doesn't mean that the homeplate umpire has to grant time, but come on, there was the clock was not winding down.
Speaker 4: He just needed to reset.
Speaker 2: And it just feels like at times the home played umpire was in another world. He wasn't paying attention when there was not a dead ball, but a little break in time, as evident by that example. And also Otani on the mound trying to say, hey, I'm going out of the wind up now. So that wasn't on Rushing. I thought that was on the home played umpire. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Also, the fifth inning was maybe Otani's toughest inning. It started with a leadoff walk to Christopher Morell, and he got two outs after that, but loaded the basis. Kyle Stowers made him pay for that leadoff walk with an RBI single and then he was able to strike out Augustine Ramirez to end the inning. But the fifth inning was the toughest one for Otani and he was certainly not as good on the Mountain night as he was in San Francisco in his last start. Eight six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Marlins win a game at Dodger Stadium for the first time since August of twenty twenty three. That's hard to believe, but they haven't been a very talented roster since then. So they squeaked by tonight two to one, and Tyler Phillips, the reliever for the Marlins that was in the game when Kyle Tucker hit the two run walk off base hit last night, was able to put up a zero in the ninth and pick up his second save of the season as the Marlins beat the Dodgers tonight two to one. Going back to Otani and his pitching tonight, you know, Rick Monday shared this with me that he has been absolutely dominant this year. When he has two strikes on a hitter, he doesn't let him come up for air. He just puts the choke hold on that hitter for the most part and on the season, when a hitter has two strikes on him facing Otani, he's just four for sixty two. Hitters are just four for sixty two when they have two strikes on him. Facing Otani tonight, the Marlins were one for fourteen when Otani had two strikes on him. But the Dodger offense just wasn't there. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seven is the phone number. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santaanita dot com slash events. Here's something else I wanted to point out. It's not an excuse, it's just a reality. The Dodgers, and I've said this before. The only concern I have when it comes to the Dodgers is some of their veterans that have played more games than anybody else and are trying to get into their mid thirties. And you look at Monsey's, you look at Freddie Freeman's ta Oscar hernandez Is. Will Smith had to miss two games because of back stiffness just a few days ago. Over the weekend. The Dodgers are in the middle of playing thirteen in a row for the first time this year. Tomorrow will end that straight stretch. You gotta imagine it's taking its toll on these guys, and it's not an excuse. And they're still winning. They still have what twenty wins on the season. They're twenty and ten, so it's not like they're falling apart when they play these many games.
Speaker 4: In a row, but it does take its toll.
Speaker 2: And I'm not sure what it is that's been going through the Dodger clubhouse the last two and a half weeks, but there's a lot of guys under the weather that has blown them down, including Max Munsey Alex Freeland, two of the guys that come to mind right away, And that's part of this equation of playing thirteen in a row as well. So just to put that in perspective on where the Dodgers are at, you know, in this point in time of the season, thirteen in a row for the first time this year is going to take its toll on the team with the highest average age in baseball. The highest average age in baseball goes to the Dodgers, so thirteen in a row is going to take its toll. But they've been able to navigate this stretch by using Dalton rushing a lot, getting Santiago Espinal in there, and Kim and Freelan and Miguel Rojas rotating up the middle. But it is a reality and the Dodgers are going to have to play sixteen in a row beginning at the end of May. So it's gonna happen twice here before before June ends, and we'll see how the Dodgers come out of that stretch as well.
Speaker 4: Eight six, six, nine, seven, two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 2: By the way, the Dodger bullpen again tonight put up zeros after show Hey Otani came out of the game, Tanner, Scott Blake, Trinen, and Jack Dreyer did not give up a run. So again the Dodger bullpen put up zeros and kept the game where it was. So you have to give them some credit here. It's the four straight game that the Dodger bullpen has not giving up a run. That's fourteen consecutive innings and it's the fifteenth time this year they have combined for scoreless innings. So kudos to the Dodger bullpen, and I would have to say. On Ladies' Night with the wives picking out the walk up songs for the Pictures and the Hitters, each wife picked out the song for their man, Alex Frielan's Justin Bieber Baby Baby Baby coming off Coachella, snell Zilla Coachella got the most reaction out in the pavilion. They continued singing the song after it was over during his at bat. He may want to stick with that because that could become one of those East Coast kind of cult stupid things that happen out there that everybody falls in love with. And Blake Trenon's Warrior Eighties throwback song that was my favorite as well.
Speaker 4: All Right, we're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we'll check in with Jose Mota and we'll give you an update on snell Zilla.
Speaker 4: He was out there in the Inland Empire.
Speaker 2: They haven't had this type of buzz in the Inland Empire since Joe Kelly. We'll get you caught up and let you hear from Blake Snell after he pitched in Ontario. If you were out in Ontario. Tonight let me know eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy Dodgers go down to the Marlins tonight two to one on A five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 5: On air at AM five seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio ASP.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassa.
Speaker 2: We are taking you to the top of the hour after the Dodgers fall to the Marlins tonight two to one. Jansen Junk pitched six scoreless innings tonight. He is now two and two. He only threw seventy six pitches and he felt like the Marlins were doing the Dodgers of by taking out their starter that was really doing a number on them. Tonight show, Haotani takes the loss Tyler Phillips with his second save of the season. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com. Use the keyword home run, enter your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 4: All right, Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers fall tonight two to one to the Marlins Show. Heotani gives up two runs. I know only one was earned, but his error led to the other one. What did you think about Otani on the mounta tonight?
Speaker 6: I think I saw two different versions of the show. Hey, tonight, Dave. When I saw the guy that tours pitch that were around eighty pitches, see some mechanically who was fighting himself a little bit more more part of his body. But nonetheless you look at it numbers and once again he went out there and give you everything. He got triple digits. Great combination of his cut fastball, his slider sweeper to up go out to neutralize a team that again battled and does not swing out started signs on.
Speaker 2: When you look at that fifth inning, why did things start to come off the rails for him at that point in time, even with two outs.
Speaker 6: I was plenty out during the broadcast that he is using, Dave the extreme side of the matter first base, but instead of finishing towards that side, as he lands across his body, it was like it was crisscrossing himself again and Dionslat just could not catch up. And that's what I saw with the inconsistency was with him. But I mean, I'm getting a little too demanding here, but I'll take this out in any single time. But I know the show. Hey, you can see him gesturing a lot today, by the way. In fact, he got rid of about three or four baseball he didn't like, so something was off with him, I think on the mechanical side. But he's so special, so gifted, wants to fight, so determined that he went out there and gave you another good stuff. But I think mechanically he's gonna find some things to clue up a little bit more.
Speaker 2: When you look at o'tani and the Dodger's decision not to have him hit tonight, do you believe that this is going to be something that o'tani will completely buy in?
Speaker 4: Do you feel like he's a little neutral on the idea. What are you gathering about his buy in to this plan?
Speaker 6: Having lived through this with the Angels, Dave, he's always gonna fight it showhy wants to be a difference maker. In fact, there's time in which Joe Madden had to beg him to please allow him to just take him out of the game, to just go out and go inside him, don't hit anymore. He wants to be out there. He wants to be a difference maker with a bat. And when he made the error today, the first thing I thought about was, I know, Show's thinking, all if I had a chance to do something with a bat to help myself out with the error, it's a difference maker for me. But this is the right thing to do. You got to navigate through a guy that dies not getting younger. He's getting older, much more miles in that body and more bullets coming out on arm for a long season. And with Shohil Tani, it's all about the termination to help and win. But certainly you got to guard against himself.
Speaker 4: Jose.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers, as I mentioned earlier, are going to be ending a stretch here of playing thirteen in a row tomorrow. How much do you believe that is affecting them during this stretch? Do you feel like when they play thirteen, sixteen, nineteen in a row, how much do you think that's going to take out of a team that's on average in their mid thirties.
Speaker 6: I know it's a narrative, a conversation. I don't think it really has a lot to do with anything nowadays day because you have guys that you don't have to play every single day. You don't have to push guys. They know what's a stake. I mean, you go through stretches sometimes, and teams that how are affected by weather go through this way more than teams out west right now, and all those things cost teams to sometimes late twenty one in a row. So for a team that's aging, a team does in good shape and in good health really basically, you know, considering everything that is going on around baseball, I don't think is really an issue of them getting affected by this overall. And sometimes guys don't want to take off dase when things are going well. So you got to take it the way it is and the way it's going with the schedule to know that you got to deal with it no matter how it goes. Because if they're twelven.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I think our guy Jose Mota's got to get a new carrier right there. Three out of four nights, three out of four nights, right there, my man. Anyway, thanks to Jose Mota for checking in. He'll be out here early because start time twelve ten tomorrow afternoon. So we got some good insight on a tani from Jose Mota. Now I'm not sure if he was all the way out in Ontario in the Inland Empire. You know, your cell service could get a little spotty out there. But Blake Snell was out there tonight and he pitched three scoreless innings. He had six strikeouts, no walks, and allowed just one hit. His heater is starting to look frisky, and that's a good thing for the Dodgers. Here's what Blake Snell had to say tonight in Ontario after his second rehab start.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that was gonna be more patient, but that was definitely a little more aggressive to get it going.
Speaker 3: Feel really good. So yeah, excited about it.
Speaker 7: He's looking for.
Speaker 3: I thank yeah telling me, Yeah, I know that that Sunday I believe.
Speaker 7: So yeah, yeah, it's in Austin.
Speaker 5: The bosses.
Speaker 4: Are you checking as you progressed, you feel like you could even more.
Speaker 7: Yeah, just consistency. I really got to get the cards ball going. When I get that pitch going, it just makes pitching a lot easier. So this week I'm really going to focus on that. Uh, And I'm really gonna focus on uh commanding the ball a fast far better and going uh to face triple hitters. Uh.
Speaker 3: I need that a lot more. So that's gonna probably my main focus.
Speaker 7: And then on the drive, I'll figure out, I'll have time to myself to.
Speaker 3: Really talk and to come through it. What has been your biggest thing away from these reno stories?
Speaker 7: The first one was about patience, you know, not trying to you know, you wanna do good, So back.
Speaker 3: To it's been a while being hurt.
Speaker 7: So the first one I I I always say the first two are patients, but I felt I've been feeling really good. So the first one I didn't do too good. So I was pretty upset with that. And then when I got in the booth end of day, I was telling myself I was gonna be patient, but then I felt really good and felt like in control.
Speaker 3: And yeah, it's a little more aggressive to get results. You know, how do you balance the patients with aggression on this rehot process? Fear trust?
Speaker 7: You know, known if it is a smart not smart I where you are just really talking to yourself and figuring out, you know, how I feel and I felt really good, so I was like, we can kind of push it a little more and get results. And then in the third ning, yeah, I want to see the curveball. I get better. That was pretty frustrating for me, so that was more like third enning was more to follow.
Speaker 3: Me pitch getting out there again? How badly do you want to be with your teams? And I see you, you know, posting on social.
Speaker 7: With your guys, how badly do you want to be out in there?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I love I love really for him. I love their success.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 7: I definitely want to contribute. I feel like I'm a big part of the team, and yeah, I want to hope badly, So I can't wait.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be.
Speaker 7: Patient and make sure I do everything the right way and then when.
Speaker 3: It's my time, and I'll be right now.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Blake's now in Ontario after his second rehab start. A really good night for him, and yeah, the curveball wasn't there, but it's a field pitch. Only a second rehabs already's still in that spring training type of process, and like he said, he wants to get to fifty pitches in his next start, which will be for Oklahoma City this Sunday against Round Rock. And that's something that he mentioned to me yesterday when we were talking. He said, I asked him whether or not he's going to be in Ontario again. I said, Hey, if you're in Ontario, maybe I'll come out there and do Dodger talk. You know, we'll skip things and I'll just head out to Ontario. But Oklahoma City, you know, I'll pass on that. I'll pass on that. Maybe if Oklahoma City was in Vegas, I would have showed up to support snail Zilla.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 2: Anyway, he'll be against Round Rock in Oklahoma City, and I still believe he's going to come back on the next homestands and at the very latest when the Dodgers are in Anaheim. That's how well things are going and trending in the right direction for him. Things are trending in the right direction for Tyler Glass now on the major league level. I feel like he's on his way to his second All Star berth with the Dodgers. He's three and oh with an ERA of two forty five, coming off a great start in San Francisco a week ago when he went eight innings allowed just one hit.
Speaker 4: He's gonna.
Speaker 2: He's he's really showed a lot of growth since the end of last season and still starting to show that growth this year. So Glass now undefeated, going up against the Marlins Ace Sandy Alcinada, who is three and two with an ERA of three zero five. Early game Tomorrow, getaway Day for the Marlins Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at eleven am tomorrow, with first pitch at twelve ten. Thanks to Colinie back at our Burdbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium. Thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show or our pregame conversation with tomorrow's starter, Tyler Glass. Now you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Ben Mallor on Fox Sports Radio is next once again. The final score. The Marlins win their first game in LA since twenty twenty three, beating the Dodgers two to one.
Speaker 4: Have a great rest of your night. We'll talk to you early tomorrow. See you