Speaker 1: You are now listening to The Jim Colbert Show on Real Radio.com.
Speaker 2: 104.1.
Speaker 3: That's right, guys. Here we go on a Tuesday edition of the Jim Colbert Show. Thank you so much for tuning in. We appreciate that as we do every single day, and we do have a banger for you this afternoon. We will get you caught up on what's happening in the world. That will do that at 3.20 with JCS News, 4 o'clock hour. It's What'd You Do That's New. We'll go over Ron's choice. Find out what the listeners have for us today, 5 o'clock hour. We'll talk to Charles Chapman. He is the legislative advocate for the Florida League of Cities. We're going to go over the Amendment, the property tax amendment.
Speaker 4: We'll do that.
Speaker 3: Trivia, we'll have that. And, of course, at the end of the show, it's In Only Money, It's Only Money with Scott Brown from Edgewater Family Wealth. And you heard it here first. Your calls, texts, and thought backs all day long. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 4: I'm Jim.
Speaker 3: To my left, a lovely and very dangerous co-host, Ms. Deb Roberts.
Speaker 5: Hello there.
Speaker 4: Straight-ed producer, Jack Bradshaw.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon. 407-916-1041.
Speaker 4: Text us, 77031.
Speaker 3: Find us easily on social, Instagram, Facebook, at TheJimCoburnShow on X. Just add Jim Colbert Show on all day, every day, jimcolbertlive.com. That's where you can check us out on YouTube. Watch us do the show, get involved with our chat. All the stuff is right there. Also, if you want to send over a talkback, which I'm sure we'll get today, you can go to the iHeartRadio app and find that little microphone and send your comments over to Jack, and we'll get you on the air.
Speaker 5: I would say superstar, but..
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, we just obviously, you know, Sean just said it. We found out this afternoon around, what, is it 2.15 or so? 2 o'clock they released it. Yeah, yeah. That the great, iconic Dolly Parton has passed away at 80 years old. And to be honest with you, do we really even know if that's her birthday? Because I think that she is one of the mysterious Hollywood legends that never really released this. And I'll tell you why. Because as I'm reading about Dolly today, they were talking about, here are some great facts about Dolly Parton on her 80th birthday, dated 2024. So I think she's one of those women who really kind of never really told anybody exactly how old she was. We knew she was up there. You know, she'd maintain herself quite well with a bunch of different procedures.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely. Still beautiful.
Speaker 4: Absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 3: And probably, you know, we were here in the studio probably about 20 minutes ago trying to figure out if there was a more iconic American entertainer slash musician still alive that had that much impact over that many decades and Um, and I, it, we, it was tough. We were having a hard time. I mean, you know, Bruce came up because he's, he's 80. I think Willie Nelson.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would say Willie.
Speaker 8: Good one.
Speaker 3: I don't think you'll find anyone more beloved.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Somebody did text in, uh, someone who is equally beloved, just simply not American.
Speaker 2: The.
Speaker 5: David Attenborough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I don't know about Dolly, man.
Speaker 5: There is nobody over Dolly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dolly.
Speaker 9: Dolly was the last American icon that just appealed to everyone, young and old.
Speaker 3: Man, you read her life story, and it is absolutely insane. You're talking about a deck stacked against somebody. Yeah, humble beginnings. Her daddy was a farmer. How many kids do you.
Speaker 4: Think there were?
Speaker 3: She was one of how many?
Speaker 10: Eight?
Speaker 5: I'll say 11.
Speaker 6: 12.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: She was one of 12 kids that lived in a two-bedroom house in Tennessee.
Speaker 5: That's when you know it's a farming family because.
Speaker 4: That's your crew.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 5: You have kids to help you work the farm.
Speaker 3: That is the workforce.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Really amazing talent. Was kind of nurtured by a country artist back in the day named Porter Wagner. And if you'll ever remember Porter Wagner, Porter Wagner was one of the guys who brought on the sequin age of Nashville country music. Everybody had the sequin suit. It was the late 70s or late 60s going into the 70s, early 80s before the outlaw years hit. Country music was kind of shiny. A lot of that kind of thing, a lot of traveling cowboy kind of stuff. And the song I Will Always Love You actually is about Porter Wagner, not about a love interest at all. Oh, the song that Whitney Houston made famous but written and originally done by Dolly Parton. Yeah, exactly. She wrote that song. Everybody thought that was her talking about a lover or about somebody she fell in love with. It wasn't at all. Porter Wagner, when she decided she was leaving his tutelage to move on in the business herself, it broke his heart.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And she wrote the song to tell him, hey, look, you know, regardless of what happens here, you know, I will always love you. So that became a gigantic hit. Yeah. And just one of her many.
Speaker 5: And, you know, she just lost her husband last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Carl Thomas Dean just passed in March of 2020. She was with him for 55 years.
Speaker 3: They met when he was when she was only 18 years old.
Speaker 9: Her first day in Nashville. She met him at the wishy washy laundromat and their first date. I don't remember their first date.
Speaker 3: McDonald's.
Speaker 5: McDonald's?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, she was always impressed that when he first met her, she'd commented apparently in her memoir that while they were talking, he consistently looked in her eyes. Which she wrote was a rarity for her, for people to keep their eyes, you know, neck and above.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were also talking about how, especially in country music, you know, specifically in country music, she was able to stay apolitical. And I bet if you asked anybody right now how she voted, you'd probably never know.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Which was so difficult, but she kept that kind of out of her music. She wanted her music to be like just... your stories over life and things that she saw she never really got mired in that which is unbelievably.
Speaker 9: Impressive it used to be that way it used to be there are three things you didn't talk about in play company money Religion and politics. Those were just three things you just didn't talk about.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But, you know, she came up in an age like she was very famous in the age of like songwriters like Chris Christopherson and Waylon Jennings and a lot of those guys that push back against the establishment when it comes to country music, you know, Willie even, you know, writing songs about. uh, about, uh, you know, tax man and, uh, you know, and about, you know, about the government overpowering, uh, you as a, as a citizen, you know, Chris Christopherson wrote songs like that. And as she grew up in that era and, uh, still did not kind of get into that whole thing. She just kind of kept it her. She really is. I mean, she is an amazing person, dude. It's kind of a drag. I was sitting here. I was grabbing a little nap before the show. And Deb, I heard Deb take that deep breath. I went and said, oh, no, I had no idea. And we knew she was in bad health at the beginning of the year. She had kind of made an announcement that, you know, the way that Dolly would, you know, hey, y'all, you know, got a couple of things going on. I can't wait to see you. But right now, my doctors say I got to stay at home. And when you look at her career, she's relatively dogged when it comes to making her dates and doing her things. But she had also got pulled away from– is it Dolly World? Yeah. Dollywood?
Speaker 8: Dollywood.
Speaker 4: That's it. Dollywood, yeah.
Speaker 3: And she didn't make an appearance there a few months back when she was supposed to for something I remember.
Speaker 5: It's a grand opening of some kind.
Speaker 3: And then just recently, a couple weeks ago, she had to cancel an appearance because– And again, reminded everybody that she was just following doctor's orders. So we knew it was a little bit more serious than maybe she was leading on. Had no idea it was like this.
Speaker 9: And obviously someone was just texting us at 77031 saying their uncle worked on the set of Steel Magnolias. Great, great movie. When he was in college and said Dolly was wonderful. One of the of all the actresses on set. She was the friendliest and made sure to speak to everyone. And she was a good actress.
Speaker 3: Yes, she was.
Speaker 5: 9 to 5, still magnolias.
Speaker 3: Total natural. She was a total natural. She really was. You know, it's so funny. My mother, I remember specifically my mom, never watched late night television, never watched it, would never stay up that late, didn't care for it, didn't care about any of that stuff. But man, every time she found out that Dolly was going to be on Johnny Carson, she would make a point to stay up and watch Dolly on Johnny Carson because she just loved Dolly Parton. And back in the day, it wasn't like you could go online and. and just kind of bring up something about somebody. When you get that longing to see a song or hear a tune or whatever, you couldn't do it. If you had an album, you could put it on.
Speaker 5: You had to wait.
Speaker 3: Seeing people, you had to wait until they made an appearance on some kind of a show, which was kind of rare back in the day. But when she came on, my mom would absolutely love seeing Dolly sing. She liked Dolly's laugh, which is one of the things I think I'll always remember about Dolly's laugh. That squeaky little innocent laugh of hers was so great.
Speaker 4: Infectious.
Speaker 11: She was great on the talk shows, but she also did movies. Rhinestone was with Sylvester Stallone.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Remember that one? That's a little whorehouse in Texas. With Burt Reynolds. Yeah, she did that one. Nine to Five is, I think, maybe her... That was the best.
Speaker 5: That was so funny.
Speaker 4: Such a good movie.
Speaker 3: Well, she only made a few, right? Or did she make some of those Hallmark things at the end of her life, like Dolly's Christmas and stuff like that? I think she made a series of those movies where Hallmark got her and, I mean, she just basically turned her albums... into small movies, if I remember right. She did a couple of those.
Speaker 9: I loved her before, but someone texted, don't know if this is right or not, but they said, fun fact, Dolly was an executive producer for the Buffy series.
Speaker 13: Oh, really?
Speaker 4: I didn't know that.
Speaker 5: That just gives her an extra layer of cool.
Speaker 3: I know one of the big things that she was quite known for was children's literacy.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 3: And I think if you look at the numbers, she donated or made sure, I want to say, guys- Like over 100 million books or some ridiculous amount of books globally to make sure that people and children had something to read and to learn how to read. Well, she donated millions during the pandemic towards the creation of the vaccine.
Speaker 10: Yep.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable person. What a tragic day.
Speaker 5: Her and Betty White. I can't think of any.
Speaker 11: As far as iconic status, I think that's as close as you get. They're on the short list.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Beloved American icon because you're right because here's the thing you know what we we say that kind of thing all the time the the american but she was a different kind because you're right willie is also a multi-generational icon but not like that correct not loved not with the weed and not with the tax problems and not with all the stuff that willie had right and nobody disliked willie for any of those things but he didn't have that reputation he wasn't that he wasn't dolly.
Speaker 4: Pizza's here.
Speaker 3: It says spam risk. I'm not going to answer.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay. Whatever you do, keep that on there.
Speaker 5: I was wondering which one of us it was.
Speaker 3: But if I don't turn my ringer on when I'm not on the air, I miss every single call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I just don't get them. If I want my wife to call me, what I do is I turn my ringer off because within five seconds of me doing that, she'll call. Or if I want her to call me, I'll just go to the bathroom or I'll walk to the other side of the house. By the way, at any time of day, I could go to myself. I'm like, oh, yeah, I haven't heard from my wife in a while. I'll just go to the bathroom and come back. Come back, three missed calls.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: They should have like a mid-ringer option. Just like you should have two car horns.
Speaker 4: Right. Like, excuse me. Let you know I'm here, car horn.
Speaker 11: That's the excuse me. Hey, by the way, the light's green. That's that car horn. And then the other one is get the F.
Speaker 5: How about..
Speaker 9: As soon as you put your phone on mute, your light bulbs take over.
Speaker 5: So when you're in another room and the phone rings, it flashes.
Speaker 3: They probably have an answer to that.
Speaker 5: Kind of like you're hearing.
Speaker 9: Impaired to let you know that someone is knocking or whatever.
Speaker 5: It would help.
Speaker 3: Bam, how do you think that right now as we speak, how– What kind of tribute do you think that they're cooking up in Nashville as we speak? I mean, you are going to see a tribute to this woman that's going to be on national television probably two hours, and you're going to have artists clamoring, paying, leaving tour dates to go be a part of something like this.
Speaker 5: Well, they damn well should.
Speaker 3: You are not going to experience anything like this. It's going to be a two-hour special. On national network television, you know, live from the Grand Ole Opry, every single legend that can still pick up a guitar or play a piano is going to find a way on stage to show their love for Dolly Parton. And they should.
Speaker 4: You're right 100%.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 3: She paved so many roads for so many different people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'll be huge.
Speaker 3: We'll be talking about it for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Apparently, I read a little something today right after it happened that there is a warehouse somewhere in Tennessee that has every outfit, shoe, and wig she's ever worn since 1964. Wow. And she wore wigs. You know why she wore them?
Speaker 7: No. No.
Speaker 3: She wore wigs because she didn't want to damage her natural hair because she knew to keep it looking like that, that platinum blonde thing that she's had that it would wind up eventually ruining her hair.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: So she wore wigs so that she could keep her actual natural hair. And I don't know that anybody's ever seen her without. I don't know what she looks like with her natural hair. It's probably short, right?
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, do you think, I mean, so if they have all of that stuff, I mean, that lends itself to be a museum, but she has Dollywood, which could be the place where that stuff could be used, all of the memorabilia and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: That they could always just rotate in and out and keep changing the items. Yeah, considering her humble nature, I'm guessing she probably has been pitched that, but probably just simply said no because she didn't want something like that while she was still with us.
Speaker 4: But I don't know that.
Speaker 3: But I mean, she just she was a painfully humble. We know that.
Speaker 11: Well, speaking of American icons, Arnold Palmer, I think is another one who is beloved because he like with the Bay Hill tournament. He didn't want to call the Arnold Palmer Invitational while he was alive.
Speaker 4: Right. To him, it was.
Speaker 3: Oh, no, it was. Can I tell you, everybody and everybody in the golf world to this day never says AP. They always say bail.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Nobody I know that plays golf seriously or is in that game refers to that golf tournament as the Arnold Palmer. It's always Bay Hill. And they never call him Arnold.
Speaker 4: It's always Mr. Palmer.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When you're on property, it's never Arnold. Only the members and those dudes are all like the guy who owns Rolling Rock and guys like that who are his buddies. They called him Arnie. Everybody else called him Mr. Palmer.
Speaker 11: I think also people say Bay Hill because it's easier to say than Arnold Palmer.
Speaker 4: It is a little difficult.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: Well, God rest her soul, man. Dolly Parton passes away at 80 years old today on August 25th of 2026. All right, 407-916-1041. Text us at 77031. Deb, got some news?
Speaker 9: Yeah, along with talking about losing another American icon, we'll talk about Byron Donald selecting a running mate for Florida governor. Altamont Springs may cancel their Fourth of July show and a collab you didn't know you needed. We'll talk about that and more coming up next during JCS News.
Speaker 4: You got it.
Speaker 3: Take a little break. We'll do Deb's news in a few minutes and continue on with the Jim Colbert Show. Welcome back to the Jim Colbert Show, Real Radio 104.1. Thanks for tuning in. We appreciate that very, very, very much. Hope you're having a good Tuesday. I am Jim. Jack is right in front of me. I can see his beautiful face and his peppered sideburns. Saved my ass last night.
Speaker 4: Jumped me off.
Speaker 3: Had to get a new battery. They give those things away these days. Have you got a car battery lately? Prepare yourself accordingly. It's either that or a mortgage.
Speaker 4: All right, Deb, let's get some news.
Speaker 1: It's time for JCS News.
Speaker 4: Wow, has this.
Speaker 1: Guy got to put his name on everything?
Speaker 4: It's in my contract, dude.
Speaker 1: Here's the news on the Jim Colbert Show.
Speaker 9: And JCS News is brought to you by that mortgage guy, Don. All right, the news has already spread like wildfire, but just in case you haven't heard..
Speaker 15: Jolene, Jolene, Jolene, Jolene.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately..
Speaker 9: Country music legend Dolly Parton has died at the age of 80. TMZ reports Parton was admitted to a hospital in Nashville last night with kidney issues and passed away this morning. Parton was also reportedly working on plans for a digital performing avatar in the weeks before her death. And in an August 21st interview with People, Parton said she was working with companies on the project while also dealing with undisclosed health issues. The country music legend had postponed her Las Vegas residency over those concerns, but was still moving ahead with her Broadway musical Dolly, a true original musical. Back here closer to home, Republican nominee for Florida governor, U.S. Representative Byron Donalds announced his running mate from Miami's Freedom Tower today.
Speaker 14: Miami, it is my pleasure and it is my honor to introduce to you the next lieutenant governor of the great state of Florida, Brian Avalon.
Speaker 9: State Senator Brian Avalos represents Miami Springs and sponsored the Stop Woke Act. Donald and his running mate will face off against the Democratic nominee for governor, former Republican David Jolly, along with his running mate, Gwen Graham. In the midterm election in November, President Trump has endorsed Donald. And if elected, Donald would become Florida's first black governor.
Speaker 4: I saw on Twitter. It's interesting.
Speaker 3: I guess he did an interview with CBS, their news program on Sunday.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: When your opponent, and in this case, David Jolly, just posts your interview on a news program and says nothing else, it says a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: It's kind of like doing the work for him.
Speaker 3: Is that the one where he tried to blame the measles outbreak on illegal immigration?
Speaker 11: It is, and everything came back to immigration, and every question was coming back to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, brilliant. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The two people who just died in Pennsylvania is certainly because of illegal immigration, not the measles outbreak or how they've reduced the– it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: Go ahead.
Speaker 9: President Trump's plan to lower beef prices is running into resistance in Florida. Trump announced yesterday he wants to eliminate tariffs on some imported beef to lower prices by as much as 25 percent.
Speaker 5: China rejected this beef.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Be careful with your burgers these days.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm not kidding.
Speaker 9: China rejected this Argentinian beef because apparently they use a hormone, a chemical that's a known human carcinogen. Either way, the Florida Cattlemen's Association says it's not sound policy. FCA President John Williamson says beef producers are already dealing with record high prices for many of the inputs required to raise cattle. He also tells News Service of Florida disrupting the market threatens producer confidence and the long-term stability of America's beef supply.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you ever want to know what a bad deal this is or a bad idea this is, just go now on social media and just type in farmer's response to this. And by the way, look at how those farmers usually vote. It has nothing to do with the R or the D. It's just bad or good business.
Speaker 9: As well as some Republican lawmakers in states like Nebraska, Montana, big beef-producing states.
Speaker 16: Clueless.
Speaker 9: Governor Ron DeSantis visited a food bank in Tampa to announce that Florida will become the first state in the nation to place restrictions on using temporary assistance for needy families to pay for non-essentials.
Speaker 17: Ultimately save taxpayer money and reduce fraud, but also will help our efforts. to be able to get folks the true help that they need.
Speaker 9: Prohibited uses include alcohol, tobacco, drugs, adult entertainment, theme park subscriptions, and psychics.
Speaker 5: Seems fair to me.
Speaker 3: I'm good with every one of those.
Speaker 11: How am I supposed to get out of these problems I'm having without the help of a psychic?
Speaker 3: I'm going to be able to gamble on my psychic.
Speaker 9: TANF benefits are paid for by federal grants. DeSantis says he expects the Trump administration to approve Florida's request.
Speaker 18: All right.
Speaker 9: Two acclaimed Cuban musicians are in federal custody today. 39-year-old Latin Grammy-winning percussionist Bagnus Bofill was detained at Miami International Airport after arriving here from New York, while 30-year-old pianist Andy Garcia Palacios was arrested in Los Angeles. Both reside in Miami, and both musicians entered the U.S. legally and have active pending asylum claims. Legendary artist Chucho Valdez is among those publicly urging for their swift release, and a GoFundMe page has already raised over $ 50, 000 to help secure their release.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 5: From federal holding facilities.
Speaker 3: Chucho's close, right?
Speaker 5: Chucho?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Chucho's a little close.
Speaker 5: It depends on where you're from. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: Taco in Spain is a completely different thing than taco in Mexico.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I appreciate that clearance.
Speaker 5: But you also want to be careful using the word fanny in England.
Speaker 4: Okay, very nice.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is. Fanny is the front part. For a woman.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Big fans of the fanny pack.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's weird now. I feel odd about that.
Speaker 4: And you should.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 15: All right.
Speaker 9: A 4th of July show in Seminole County could be the victim of budget cuts. Altamont Springs City Manager Frank Martz is recommending the city stop holding its Red Hot and Boom event at Cranes Roos Park. He says it would save over $ 900, 000. They're saying with security costs, 200,000 people there. The cost for putting on this event is quickly closing in on close to a million dollars to put on. Martz also recommends closing the city library on Maitland Ave to save $ 750, 000, saying they don't want to duplicate events. Services that the county is already providing. The proposals will be discussed at a city commission meeting next month. A lot of residents are like, man, get rid of this community together. And of course, we'll be talking with the Florida League of Cities representative.
Speaker 5: To talk about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's going to happen with that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 9: Florida Attorney General James Uthmeyer says a statewide child recovery operation located 100 kilometers 63 missing children raging in age from 2 to 17 years old. Operation Statewide Shield involved dozens of law enforcement and child welfare agencies and is being called the largest efforts of its kind in state history. FDLE Commissioner Mark Glass says while this initiative went far beyond the Florida state line.
Speaker 7: That's over six states in recovery, Puerto Rico and 12 countries. So that shows you the The tentacles of this are where these children may go.
Speaker 9: The Tampa Bay region accounted for 46 recoveries.
Speaker 5: That's the most in the state.
Speaker 9: They've been taken to a specialized hub to receive the care and support they need. Additional recoveries were reported in Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, Fort Myers, Pensacola, and Tallahassee. Several arrests were made during the operation, but more charges are expected as the investigation continues.
Speaker 4: Wow. It's just shocking, isn't it? It really is.
Speaker 5: 2 to 17. Like, what happened?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: It's just, I don't understand this.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 9: Ending vaccine mandates for kids entering school, meanwhile, could have devastating results. That's according to Community Health Northwest Chief Medical Officer, Dr.
Speaker 5: Joseph Klawitter.
Speaker 9: He was responding yesterday to the Florida Department of Health's recommendation to remove mandates for four childhood vaccines. The vaccines are for chickenpox, HIV, hepatitis B, and pneumococcal.
Speaker 4: Pneumococcal.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 4: Say it again.
Speaker 3: Pneumococcal pneumonia.
Speaker 5: Pneumococcal disease.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 18: Dr.
Speaker 9: Clawwitter says he's worried this will lead to fewer vaccinations.
Speaker 3: Say those back to back.
Speaker 5: Clawwitter and pneumococcal.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: Jack, come on now. There we go, Jack.
Speaker 3: We're going to just do that the rest of the show.
Speaker 6: Jack.
Speaker 3: We're all calmed down because of Dolly. We're just going to do the pneumococcal stuff all day.
Speaker 4: Well, Dr.
Speaker 9: Clauwitter says he's worried this will lead to fewer vaccinations, less herd immunity, and more illness. He tells Wear News, if enough people are vaccinated against the disease, the chance of catching it naturally decreases. All right, there is a tropical wave forming in the Atlantic off the coast of Africa, but no need to panic just yet.
Speaker 4: It's just off the coast of Africa.
Speaker 3: So really... It would not make it towards any land area for probably over a week or so, maybe.
Speaker 4: Even two weeks.
Speaker 9: National Weather Service meteorologist George Rizzuto says they have no idea if it will be a threat to land, but if it does develop into a tropical depression, you guys get this.
Speaker 5: It will be named Dolly.
Speaker 3: No, come on.
Speaker 9: Dolly is the next named storm on the 2026 Atlantic hurricane.
Speaker 3: That's just coincidence, right? Either that or.
Speaker 9: Mother Nature is giving her the honor she deserves.
Speaker 4: They certainly didn't change it this afternoon, Jack.
Speaker 3: They didn't gather everybody at the National Weather Advisory Board.
Speaker 4: You know what? She just died.
Speaker 3: Let's name a deadly storm after her.
Speaker 11: I don't know where Deb gets her news from. It could very well be that they just came up with this this afternoon. She just gets it from Fox and NOAN.
Speaker 4: Everybody knows that.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I love you guys.
Speaker 9: Duke Energy is cleaning up a chemical spill in Pasco County, but there's nothing to see here.
Speaker 15: What?
Speaker 9: The company informed state regulators last week, yeah, there was a spill at a power plant in Holiday near the Anclote River.
Speaker 5: Don't worry.
Speaker 9: Over 3,000 gallons of sodium balsalphite spilled.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Jack. There we go.
Speaker 3: I mean, you should pick easier, dude. You write this stuff. Why don't you make it more difficult on yourself? Just put some Mandarin in there for fun.
Speaker 4: They say some chemical.
Speaker 15: Right, exactly.
Speaker 3: A bad chemical.
Speaker 9: Because we have smart listeners, and they'll be like, oh, no, that's what this chemical does. You want to stay away from this. Duke said yesterday none of it made it to the river, though. A spokeswoman says the cleanup is almost complete and no actions or precautions are necessary for those who live near the plant. Do I sound like I believe him? That's my favorite thing.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, don't worry.
Speaker 4: I didn't make it to the river. Trust us.
Speaker 3: We put up a dam and we got a couple guys out there with rubber gloves and they caught all of it. Everybody's safe. Go for a swim today.
Speaker 9: The only reason we laugh is so that we don't cry.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: It's so crazy that they expect you to believe this stuff. That's the thing that's most insulting.
Speaker 4: That's why I laugh.
Speaker 3: I laugh at how insulting it is.
Speaker 4: Hey, everybody, we got it.
Speaker 17: We're good.
Speaker 3: We got Phil and Tom down there. And let me tell you, those guys got giant hands, and they're very committed.
Speaker 5: And sponges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're fine.
Speaker 9: The Florida Department of Environmental Protection tells the Tampa Bay Times there have been no impact to local waterways. Meanwhile, a sewer project is disturbing residents in Orange County and some question if it's worth it. The county closed part of Thompson Road yesterday near Apopka as part of the plan to convert septic tank owners near Recaiva Springs to the sewer system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they did that in Eustis two years ago. Very same thing. They went out to people and said, hey, look, if you are near a body of water, if your property sheds to any body of water, lake or whatever, give us a call. We'll replace your septic tank and we'll replace all that stuff. And then they'll maintain it for a certain amount of money, which is dirt cheap, by the way. It's only a few bucks a month. And it has been a godsend. It really has.
Speaker 9: Well, it's the upfront cost for a lot of folks, right? So about 2,000 homes are affected. And one of those homeowners isn't sure the costs are being distributed fairly. So Sherry Brown estimates the project will cost her around.
Speaker 5: $ 10, 000.
Speaker 9: And while she supports protecting Wekiva Springs, she wonders how much of the pollution reported there is actually coming from her septic systems. She tells News 6 she lives far away from the spring, and she'd like to see proof the pollution is coming from so far away.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's going to be hard to do that because it's just the way that the water seeps over time.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 3: It's not like it's running out of her septic tank right down to the river through a conduit. It doesn't work like that. It gets into the water table and then leaks in from there. I mean, it's the same thing that happened over at the Indian River Lagoon. It's the same exact thing.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 9: All right, those who oppose plans to make changes at an Orlando attraction can claim victory. The city announced yesterday it will not move forward with its plans for Harry P.
Speaker 5: Lou Gardens.
Speaker 9: It's a 50-acre botanical garden on North Forest Ave. near Lake Rowena. Absolutely beautiful place to visit. Orlando officials propose spending $ 100 million, though, to add amenities to the park.
Speaker 4: A hundred million dollars?
Speaker 5: Like a cafe and shops.
Speaker 9: And you know, parking is already so easy to get to Lou Gardens.
Speaker 3: There is no parking. It's on the side of the road. That's the facetious part of the joke.
Speaker 9: Are they building a parking garage? No, not that I'd heard of. I'd even heard that at one point there was even a band shell that was going.
Speaker 5: To be proposed.
Speaker 4: Good Lord.
Speaker 9: But residents complained the changes would lead to more traffic and noise. Because, right, with their plant and garden sale, I mean, to watch Ross and Olivia have to go through, I mean. Glenn usually helps out, but you have to plan parking as much as anything else when you go visit there.
Speaker 3: So when I lived in Baldwin, which is literally a mile from this place, and they did that plant sale, which is one of the biggest events of that entire area, and I'm not joking.
Speaker 9: Oh, it's as big as the Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival.
Speaker 3: And it's literally right down the street from the hippest part of Orlando, that whole Easton Market and the brewery down there, Red Light, Red Light. And it's so funny. People will go and park their cars there the night before. Like they will drive down there with their car and they'll park a car there and then Uber there so they can bring their plants home. That's how crazy the parking is.
Speaker 9: So you can imagine $ 100 million worth of new shops and cafes would have made that place untenable.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 9: Two of Florida's three NFL teams are getting in extra work this week before wrapping up the preseason. I bring this to you guys just to see your excitement. For this time of the year, it's finally here. So the Jacksonville Jaguars and Tampa Bay Buccaneers are holding joint practices today and tomorrow in Jacksonville, giving starters and roster hopefuls valuable game-like repetitions. The Bucs wrap up the preseason when they take on the Jags Friday night at Everbank Stadium. Meanwhile, the Miami Dolphins will host the Atlanta Falcons on Friday in their preseason finale. And what better way to wash up after a rough-and-tumble football game? They just smell like Mountain Dew.
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mountain Dew fans can now smell like their favorite soda.
Speaker 4: Wow, really?
Speaker 9: Men's grooming company, Duke Cannon. Did they learn how to bottle diabetes? There is no more butch.
Speaker 5: Name than Duke Cannon.
Speaker 3: I can spray diabetes.
Speaker 9: Oh, no. You're going to lather up, Jimmy, with that loofah. Men's grooming company, Duke Cannon, has teamed up with Mountain Dew for a line of products. Mountain Dew scented body washes. And listen carefully. Soap Pucks, Pucks as in P-U-C-K-S.
Speaker 3: Soap Puck.
Speaker 9: Puck are now available at select Walmarts. Customers who've been able to get their hands on the collaboration have said they smell pretty close to the actual soda.
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 5: And who doesn't want to attract flies?
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: It's syrup. It really is. Have you ever poured a Mountain Dew?
Speaker 4: Yeah. Oh my God.
Speaker 3: It takes a minute. Yahoo!
Speaker 10: Mountain Dew.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man. I didn't know you had that. It takes a minute. You know why?
Speaker 3: You honestly know why Mountain Dew was actually invented?
Speaker 4: Moonshine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to mix with moonshine. That's why it's called Mountain Dew. Mountain Dew is also another word for moonshine.
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mountain Dew is a slang term for moonshine.
Speaker 9: Yahoo!
Speaker 13: Mountain Dew.
Speaker 3: The citrus soda was actually built to mix with moonshine so you could wash it down.
Speaker 4: Oh, I can't.
Speaker 9: Well, this marks the latest outside-the-box collaboration for Mountain Dew with others including a Rawlings baseball glove. I don't know what that's all about, but a birthday cake-flavored Slurpee with 7-Eleven.
Speaker 4: A birthday cake flavored Slurpee? What is happening? And I don't hate this idea.
Speaker 5: I want to figure out what the Rawlings baseball glove has to do with.
Speaker 3: Dolly passes away an hour ago and the world is losing it. You've had birthday cake flavored ice cream before, right?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: I'm a grown ass man, Jack. It's chocolate or vanilla. No, you're missing out. Who's eating sprinkles at my age?
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 9: What you need to do is have that Twix ice cream that Jack keeps talking about.
Speaker 3: Have you had it, Deb?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 8: I haven't.
Speaker 4: Look, the Snickers one is good as hell, too, by the way.
Speaker 5: I don't know. That Twix bar.
Speaker 3: What do you mean you don't know where they go?
Speaker 4: Here we go again. It's 7-Eleven. It's Winn-Dixie.
Speaker 5: It's Dollar General.
Speaker 4: It's Wawa.
Speaker 3: They do them in cakes now. When you go to Publix and you go to the ice cream cake area, they have cakes that are made with ice cream with the candy bars.
Speaker 4: The Twix. Get out of here. I was born yesterday.
Speaker 5: And that concludes your JCS News. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 3: We drinking today?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: It sounds like it. We have to have a drink for Dolly. We have to have a drink. We got any beer here?
Speaker 4: Or you want whiskey?
Speaker 11: I can find beer, but we also have an office bottle of whiskey.
Speaker 3: Let's start drinking. All right.
Speaker 16: 916-4041.
Speaker 9: I can't run the board and host.
Speaker 4: You can.
Speaker 3: You're fine.
Speaker 4: You're fine. Step up, girl.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Back in a sec. Mountain Dew was invented as a chaser for moonshine, but originally..
Speaker 2: It tasted a.
Speaker 4: Lot more like Sprite does today.
Speaker 19: I don't believe it got its iconic flavor and color until the early 70s.
Speaker 8: I think.
Speaker 4: Yahoo!
Speaker 6: Mountain Dew.
Speaker 17: You really have to ask what's going on with the birthday cake slurpee, Jimmy.
Speaker 10: Come on.
Speaker 17: America is asserting its caloric dominance.
Speaker 3: Yahoo!
Speaker 4: Mountain Dew. I appreciate that laugh.
Speaker 2: I didn't get my vaccine feeling in my pneumococcus.
Speaker 4: Ha ha ha!
Speaker 9: Somebody texted us about Mountain Dew being, they call that a redneck margarita.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I guess. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I didn't think you could mix anything with Moonshine.
Speaker 3: With Mountain Dew?
Speaker 8: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Moonshine, that's what they flavored all the time. It's basically pure alcohol. It's like when you were a kid and you drank what they called Everclear. Everclear. It's Moonshine. It's just mash. It's the liquor that you would put in barrels to turn into other liquor. So it's just pure, I think, ethylene alcohol. I don't know if it's alcohol, pure alcohol, but that's what it is.
Speaker 5: That was the stuff that never froze when you made Jell-O shots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man. And then, you know, that's like when you make it, like the best I have is peach. And then the apple pie moonshine I have when I go up to play my golf tournament, there's a guy from Punta Gorda that always brings a couple pints of that up there. And that is the most dangerous stuff on planet Earth.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 9: Saturday night, Jack and I may be going to Ma's Mountain Moonshine, trying out a little redneck margarita.
Speaker 3: I was just over there the other day.
Speaker 7: Oh, really?
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, not bad at all. Tori got something over there. I ordered something that was akin to a margarita. It wasn't the best thing, but she ordered this other thing that was kind of a fruity summer kind of drink. And I was like, oh, yeah, I could change my eye color with that. In about five seconds, I could literally change my eye color drinking those things. All right, welcome back to the Jim Colbert Show.
Speaker 4: I'm Jim.
Speaker 3: There's Deb.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 3: Jack is her as well.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 3: We are still kind of reeling over the death of the great Dolly Parton. We do have a lot of stuff to talk about today. But it's kind of wild.
Speaker 6: You know what?
Speaker 3: Let's do this real quick. We have a couple of seconds before we get to the top of the hour.
Speaker 4: Why don't you do this?
Speaker 3: It's new coming up here in a minute. We'll go over Ross's choice and then find out what a jackass offer. But I pulled this yesterday. We never had a chance to talk about it. But now that we're talking about Mountain Dew, this is a story I saw on Reddit. Let me see where I can source this from. It doesn't say. This is just a map of the U.S., Jack.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 3: And it is the most popular sodas in each state.
Speaker 10: Ooh.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's just start with Florida.
Speaker 9: Well, you know the southern states. There's got to be a Mountain Dew somewhere in the south.
Speaker 3: There is a Mountain Dew somewhere in the south.
Speaker 4: Actually, can I tell you something?
Speaker 3: There are one. Let me count them. One, two, three, four, five, six states that are Mountain Dew crazy. Matter of fact, can I tell you something? Diet Mountain Dew also makes the list as well. Are they all part of the SEC?
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 4: One is a major player in the SEC. Alabama. One's having a runoff today. Oh.
Speaker 5: Oh, South Carolina.
Speaker 4: South Carolina. That's right.
Speaker 3: South Carolina is a Mountain Dew state.
Speaker 18: Really?
Speaker 3: Another one. As a matter of fact, not only this one, but his little brother lives just a little bit to the right of him.
Speaker 4: Virginia, West Virginia. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Both Mountain Dew peoples.
Speaker 5: You know Virginia had to be.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And then Diet Mountain Dew is up here in what would be your Dakotas area. And I think Michigan or is that Illinois is a diet Mountain Dew place as well.
Speaker 4: Fibs.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 3: Where do you think Florida is?
Speaker 15: Dr.
Speaker 4: Pepper.
Speaker 5: Rum and Coke. We got to be Coca-Cola.
Speaker 3: Coca-Cola is the answer.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 5: We're the capital Cooper Libre here.
Speaker 3: And Georgia. It definitely got to be Coca-Cola, right?
Speaker 18: Right.
Speaker 3: Because that's where it is.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So is Pepsi North Carolina?
Speaker 9: Ooh, Pepsi's got to be Texas with boiled peanuts in it.
Speaker 3: You ready for this? North Carolina has only one. They're the only state where they say this is the number one soda. And if I let you guys guess until the end of the show, you wouldn't get it. Root beer.
Speaker 12: Tab.
Speaker 10: Sundrop.
Speaker 4: Sundrop. Interesting.
Speaker 3: Have you ever heard of Sundrop Soda? I think Sundrop is akin to your Mountain Dews and your Citrus Sodas, I believe. But Pepsi was created in North Carolina, right?
Speaker 15: Pepsi?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I thought Dr. Pepper's in Texas.
Speaker 13: I know that.
Speaker 4: Pepsi.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Coke was Atlanta. Coke was Georgia, but actually the money started in North Florida. You know that, right?
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 5: What was that?
Speaker 4: What was that?
Speaker 3: Coca-Cola, the money to gather to make Coca-Cola. There's a small town in North Florida right there on the border of Georgia and Florida. where the guy who invented the thing of Coke went to the townspeople and his friends and said, hey, look, give me all your money. I've got a game-changing idea here. And the people who bought in are obviously incredibly wealthy, and the people who didn't aren't. Pepsi's from New Bern, North Carolina.
Speaker 18: Is it really?
Speaker 4: I did not know that. I did not know that.
Speaker 3: They go to Sundrop. What is the most dominant soda? Let me give you this count here.
Speaker 4: One, two, three, four. That's eight. That's 12. That is 16, 17, 18 states. Diet Coke.
Speaker 3: It's not Coke? It is not Coke.
Speaker 5: Oh, I said Diet Coke.
Speaker 3: Coke, predominantly only popular in three states, Louisiana, Florida, and Georgia.
Speaker 4: You're kidding.
Speaker 3: Nope, that's it.
Speaker 5: Coca-Cola?
Speaker 4: Coca-Cola.
Speaker 3: It doesn't mean that they don't sell well. They're just not the predominant soda in that market. I mean, they can lose by 1% and still lose, you know?
Speaker 4: Sprite.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 3: Sprite doesn't even make the list on anywhere on the list.
Speaker 5: You're kidding.
Speaker 3: Sprite's nowhere on the state. It's not the number one soda in any of the states.
Speaker 4: Where is Dr. Pepper?
Speaker 3: That's what I want to know.
Speaker 4: All of them. Really?
Speaker 16: Dr.
Speaker 3: Pepper, by far, by far, is the most popular soda in America.
Speaker 5: Are you kidding?
Speaker 16: Dr.
Speaker 3: Pepper, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 states. And that doesn't count the Diet Dr. Peppers that also have a couple as well. And yet, you can go to..
Speaker 9: So many restaurants and it's a crapshoot whether they'll even have it.
Speaker 13: 100%.
Speaker 3: That's the truth.
Speaker 4: All my life. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Because I used to only drink that, and then I switched to Coke. It was just easier to get. Exactly, because they'd be like, no, we got Mr. Pibb.
Speaker 5: You're like, that's not Dr.
Speaker 4: Pepper.
Speaker 3: You guys are so right that when we go to places, the first thing my wife asks the server is if they have Dr.
Speaker 4: Pepper.
Speaker 3: When they say no, it ruins the rest of her meal. She likes it so much with food. That's the only one she really drinks. She doesn't drink any other soda than Dr. Pepper. Coke Zero in California.
Speaker 5: Of course.
Speaker 3: The odd one is this, and this is what I want to talk about a little bit yesterday. One, two, three, four, five. From New York up, and I'm being dead serious. From New York up, including Michigan, what is the most popular soda?
Speaker 4: We got to go. And I can't understand it.
Speaker 5: You said Sprite doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ginger ale. Why is the Northeast dominated by ginger ale? Because that's such a good drink mixer. Is that what it is?
Speaker 9: I'm just thinking it's all the politicians and everybody else up there drinking highballs.
Speaker 4: Like ginger ale, man.
Speaker 3: Canada Dry or Schweppes ginger ale destroys that Northeast area. Like almost every state up there is all that. Everybody else, Dr.
Speaker 4: Pepper.
Speaker 5: Got to be a drink mixer.
Speaker 3: All right. 407-916-1041. Text us at 77031. Back in a sec with what to do that's new right here on the Jim Colbert Show. All right, welcome back to the Jim Culver Show. We're already at 104.1. Don't forget we're going to be out at Taste CFL this Friday. Having a good old time. Orlando World Marriott out there. I think it starts around 6, 630. Grab your tickets at tastecfl.org. A wonderful event where once you pay that one ticket, you get in and a hundred of the best restaurants out there, not only making great food, cocktails, beer companies, liquor companies. They have this thing called a wine door, Jack. Really?
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's a door and they've drilled holes in it and they put bottles of wine in there and you can win that. It's $ 7, 000 worth of wine. Oh my goodness. It's a, And they do a liquor locker. Same type thing. You buy your tickets or whatever, then they will draw the number, and that person wins that locker full of liquor. And that's just where it starts. Tons of cool stuff going on all night long. If you want to experience the best flavors of Orlando, tastecfl.org. Grab your tickets and join us Friday night as we host that great event to raise money for Second Harvest Food Bank and Coalition for the Homeless. Very cool.
Speaker 4: Absolutely. Welcome back. I'm Jim.
Speaker 3: There's Deb. Hello.
Speaker 4: Jack is right there.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 4: Let's do what you do that's new.
Speaker 2: What'd you do that's new? What'd you do that's new?
Speaker 3: Hey, is it only new?
Speaker 2: Something new to do?
Speaker 10: We're relying on you.
Speaker 5: Tell us something new about to you.
Speaker 10: Bye, Closet.
Speaker 3: That's right, Klausman Law, K-L-A-U-S-M-A-N-Law.com. Officers are out there in Winter Park.
Speaker 6: 407-917-1718.
Speaker 3: Car crash, call Klausman. Of course, we'll talk to Glenn on Thursday for Colbert Court. Until then, one of the members of the show will pick something to watch, read, or listen to. And then, of course, we'll reconvene every single Tuesday at 4 o'clock and do that very thing.
Speaker 4: This week, it was Ross.
Speaker 3: And then we'll find out what the listeners have for us because every other after Ross, we put it up on our Facebook page, gym members. And we get somebody to offer something. And that's what we did. Indeed, we did.
Speaker 11: However, Ross's pick was about Antoine Griezmann. In case you did not know, Antoine Griezmann now plays for Orlando City. You could say he's our star player. He scored two goals Saturday night. helping Orlando City, and they come from behind victory over Real Salt Lake. However, this is his first year in MLS, and he just joined the team following the World Cup. Prior to that, he played in Europe. Played for La Liga. Yep, and this is, and a few different teams, and that's kind of what the video is about. It gives you a little history on who Antoine Griezmann is, and it's also, it's called Griezmann's Curse a year too late three times because Because he always..
Speaker 3: He joined the team right after they won the World Cup. And they didn't make it back. And they didn't make it back. Or one of the league trophies.
Speaker 4: Exactly right.
Speaker 11: So it was like he missed it just three times he was a year too late. However, it's a good primer on who he is and how successful he was as a player. So it gives you a little more understanding to who is now the most famous... Orlando City Lion. Yeah, we've had some good runs here with guys that have come out of that league. You know, we had Kaká, who at one point was considered one of the gods of soccer over there in the Premier League. And now we have Antoine Griezmann. Now, look, I don't know anything about this guy. I learned a little bit today. And it's so funny because Deb and I were talking about it before the show. We're like, we hired a guy that's cursed. It seems that we brought a guy onto the team who was cursed for winning.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: It was, this is not a video.
Speaker 9: Like if you're an Orlando city fan and you're super excited, this is kind of like a little bit of a bummer video.
Speaker 5: It's like all about the chances that he's missed.
Speaker 11: So you could look at it that way, or you can look at his curse was joining a team after they already won. Well, Orlando city didn't already win. I mean, they had that cup win that, you know, we went to one of those games.
Speaker 4: Yeah. a few years ago.
Speaker 11: However, so it's not like he missed anything with the Orlando City. So the only place to go is up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And hopefully that's exactly what we'll do. No, he just had a win, right? You were at the game where he won just recently, right? He scored twice.
Speaker 6: Two games.
Speaker 4: You know what they call that?
Speaker 3: They call that a not a hat trick.
Speaker 4: But it starts with a B. Come on. I know you know this one. I don't know it.
Speaker 3: A brace?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: So when you score two goals in one game, that's a brace?
Speaker 4: Correct. Did not know that. Yes. I'll be damned.
Speaker 5: Learning something new every day.
Speaker 3: But they call it hat trick in hockey and in soccer. If you score three, is it still a hat trick in soccer? If you score three goals?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah. I think hat trick now. Because in every sport.
Speaker 18: No, no, no.
Speaker 4: Okay, what?
Speaker 17: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: In bowling, it's a turkey.
Speaker 4: Oh, that's right.
Speaker 2: You're right.
Speaker 3: In bowling, it's a turkey. Three strikes in a row is a turkey. They're not using that in soccer. Two strikes in a row is you didn't get the turkey.
Speaker 4: You know what a nutmeg is? A nutmeg?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: What sport? Soccer.
Speaker 3: Not four goals, is it?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: It's not a goal, but it's when you do something with the ball.
Speaker 5: Scissor kick.
Speaker 16: No.
Speaker 3: That's a scissor kick. When you score on your own goal. No, that is literally an own goal.
Speaker 6: Own goal?
Speaker 4: Own goal is what they refer to.
Speaker 3: Nutmeg is when you kick the ball through your opponent's legs.
Speaker 4: Oh, really?
Speaker 11: Yeah, like he's defending you. You put the ball through it. You pass the ball through his legs.
Speaker 3: Cheeky, huh?
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 3: Deb, what did you glean from the Antoine Griezmann video?
Speaker 9: I mean, he's still due for a super-duper win. I think he's still young and hungry enough to get it. And I think being embraced by Orlando City fans, I think this could be a breath of fresh air for his career. It was hard to feel that way watching the video without him feeling like, Did he take a step down coming to MLS because he played with Barcelona?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm watching this video, and every picture they show of this guy, it looks like his parents just died. It's like every time he was hanging his head in shame.
Speaker 4: I'm like, come on, dude, get out there. What are you doing?
Speaker 3: I think there was a couple of them where he was playing and looked like he was having fun.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Ross could have picked the video, a little more positive, uplifting video. However, he also did it on the fly during a commercial break.
Speaker 3: He knew he wanted this topic. And I've got to tell you, the guy who did this did a very good job.
Speaker 4: It was easy to watch and easy.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's only 14 minutes long, so if you're into soccer at the highest level and you want to learn about our newest... Addition to the team, Antoine Griezmann. Man, I can't get you over there fast enough.
Speaker 4: I really can't. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 11: I'm going to be honest with you. I liked it. I'm going to the games. I'm seeing him play. So it's nice having a little more history into the impact and how big he was.
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah.
Speaker 3: He's a World Cup winner as well with France.
Speaker 4: There's no question.
Speaker 3: This is a tough one for me, though. It'd be like me telling you, hey, watch this 14-minute video on this golfer you've never heard of.
Speaker 5: And their great swing.
Speaker 3: And their great swing and all the times they almost won a major. Yeah. It's that kind of vibe. But, yeah, it was a good video, and he did a good job at it. And I learned a little bit about Antoine Griezmann and how he's cursed.
Speaker 4: He's not. Curse. Jackie's curse. They say it right there on the video. I think it's.
Speaker 8: In the, isn't it?
Speaker 4: It's in the title of the video.
Speaker 2: It's not cursed.
Speaker 3: I know, but it's gorgeous curse. The video is called Griezmann's Curse, and even more so, the word curse is capitalized.
Speaker 11: Like, they really think he's cursed. He's not lowercase curse, Jack. It's this guy, and that guy, and the host, he even said he's.
Speaker 4: Rooting for him.
Speaker 3: Well, who cares? The guy in front of the fake palm tree gives a damn? Yeah.
Speaker 4: All right, very good.
Speaker 3: I need a fake palm tree in my world. We need that backlight. That backlighting is like the whole thing. I mean, the monsters do it in here sometimes with that red light. I don't get that. Is that proven to get more people watching or something? It's aesthetics.
Speaker 4: Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Do you know what it means to make things look nice?
Speaker 15: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Aesthetics. I just said it. Okay.
Speaker 5: I don't know what that sound was.
Speaker 3: Do we need green lights in here for aesthetics behind this? I don't think green would work in there with the red walls. I think that's why the red light kind of gives a little glow there. What color does green and red make when you mix it together?
Speaker 2: Christmas.
Speaker 4: It makes Christmas sound.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 3: What do the listeners have for us for next week, buddy? Who was the lucky choice? Cheryl sent us a video. This agrees with me. There you go.
Speaker 11: However, this could be longer, but what I'm going to do is kind of give you a combination of some short videos. Have you heard the name Kareem Rama? Have not heard of Kareem Rama. Has an Emmy-nominated series called Subway Takes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know anything about it, yeah. Gab, are you familiar?
Speaker 5: I've heard a little bit about it, yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh, I have heard this. The guy goes on the subway, sits next to people and asks them questions.
Speaker 4: And take.
Speaker 3: They have what their takes are, right?
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 18: Okay.
Speaker 3: So he does that with strangers, right?
Speaker 4: Yes, he does.
Speaker 11: Now it's where he does celebrity interviews. I watched one with Colin Jost. I watched one with Charlize Theron where they come with like five hot takes and they have to get hotter. And then it's like– and they just do the interview on a subway and anything.
Speaker 4: That happens, happens. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: So that's– and then he now has one called Leave the Meter Running. It's a YouTube series.
Speaker 4: Okay. And it's almost like taxicab conventions. He gets into a cab.
Speaker 11: Like he'll interview the cab driver and then– where that go it could go.
Speaker 3: Anywhere yeah yeah you know i remember seeing this on youtube for the very first time the the subway interviews and they were actually very interesting they are yeah but you wouldn't think that you could turn like a regular joe riding back and forth to work into somebody interesting but like everyday people have very interesting takes on life.
Speaker 11: So i'm trying to find the right combination of small videos it'll probably be about three of them that i'll post there but it's kareem rama yeah and it's uh yeah and cheryl wright's He reminds her of a modern-day Anthony Bourdain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: But Subway takes, nominated for an Emmy. But the one she really loves is his YouTube series, Keep the Meter Running. And that's like a 30, 40-minute thing where he'll– like he spent one night going around with a guy in a cab. They stopped to get food. Yeah, yeah. But then they have– you know, they'll pick up fares. So keep the meter running. Oh, he picks up fares while he's doing it. I figured he would just pay the meter the whole time he's doing it. He was, but the one I started watching, he's like, Hey, can I just drive with you tonight? And so he got in the front seat, went with the cabbie, and then they just picked up rides. And those, they all end up being part of the show. which is almost like taxicab confessions on HBO. That's kind of cool, yeah. And the guy's interesting. He's really, if I remember right, pretty smart, pretty quick, too.
Speaker 3: He is. And not disrespectful, if I remember. He's not trying to gotcha anybody, right?
Speaker 4: No. Just looking for takes. That's it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, but I was surprised when I looked at the list of celebrities. I mean, Jennifer Lopez and the others I mentioned and just– A-list celebrities that he's done Subway interviews with.
Speaker 3: Mostly New York. Well, I mean, with Subway, it's always New York-based, but even the cat thing, New York-based as well? Yes.
Speaker 11: There's one when he went overseas, I think, to Damascus, and that actually is considered one of the most popular ones.
Speaker 4: Interesting.
Speaker 3: There's got to be a compilation video on YouTube of this guy with a … With a shorter version, a truncated version of what he's doing there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll find the right one for you.
Speaker 11: But I got caught in that wormhole today, and then I just kept watching one after the other.
Speaker 4: It's pretty good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, speaking of wormholes, I'll just drop this real quick. I mean, we can talk about it later if we want, I guess. But YouTubing, wormholing the other day, which is turning out to be one of my favorite things to do as a pastime, is just kind of scroll through and find something interesting. I ran upon a channel called The American Hobo. And it's basically this guy is a hobo. He just chronicles himself traveling across the U.S. via any free way he can. And the clip I saw was you couldn't even tell what it was. It was just him surrounded by some stuff. And he goes, I think we're almost in Cincinnati. Can't really tell because.
Speaker 4: Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Speaker 3: And what he's doing is he's hidden himself under a train car. Oh, wow. And like this little basket area. And he's been riding there for hours. doesn't know where he's going, doesn't know where it's going to drop off. He does have an idea, I think, of where it's going to end. And he talks about it all. He goes, yeah, last time I did this, I had to get off here and walk two miles to this and do this and the other. Then I just come back and he goes, you don't want to be seen. I'm not trying to disrespect anybody. Like his whole thing is getting caught, not because of it being illegal. He doesn't want to disrespect the train rider by like taking something free. But I just started watching him, and I'm going to watch him a little bit more and see how good it is.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: I've had a little bit of romance about that, about the hobo idea.
Speaker 10: Oh, yeah?
Speaker 3: And a little bit of a romance in that idea of just going, you know what? Blanket all.
Speaker 4: Are you going? Are you going?
Speaker 3: Are you going to take it to the streets?
Speaker 4: Just blanket all.
Speaker 3: Just give me some jeans and a bag, and I'm on my way.
Speaker 11: You need a handkerchief and a stick, right?
Speaker 10: That's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: The easiest Halloween costume ever.
Speaker 9: We used to play that as kids. Turn our dad's weight bench into the hobo machine. He trucked that across the country. Brother and I have our stick with our bandana on the back, all of our earthly possessions.
Speaker 3: I have a picture of myself and my uncle as hobos back in the day because we couldn't afford... Like Halloween costumes, it was just you tore up a t-shirt.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And my grandmother had those bandanas because she would wear them when she worked out in the yard. And we would tie it around a stick and we'd make ourselves look dirty and off we went. You ever burnt cork?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You take cork, you burn it, and then you could like rub the black on you.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: I think we did it with shoe polish.
Speaker 4: Oh, memories.
Speaker 3: Probably wasn't toxic.
Speaker 4: I'm fine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, exactly. That's no problem there.
Speaker 4: Explains the hair loss. I almost said that. Don't know.
Speaker 3: It may happen today. I'm in one of those moods. All right, back in a sec.
Speaker 13: Proudly sponsored since day one by glenn clausman clausmanlaw.com bye.
Speaker 2: Hey guys great segue.
Speaker 15: Don't knock this Mountain Dew soap by Duke Cannon so quickly because, Jimmy, would you honestly not use a Coca-Cola or a Pepsi soap right now the way you're fiending for soda?
Speaker 4: I would eat it.
Speaker 15: I mean, I may or may not have used Duke Cannon's Buffalo Trace bourbon soap before or their beard oil or solid cologne or beard balm.
Speaker 6: Bourbon.
Speaker 3: And the bourbon soap smells great, though.
Speaker 4: I've smelled it.
Speaker 5: Oh, yeah?
Speaker 13: Yeah, yeah. So there's a great video you need to see regarding the hot take guy. The one that I remember last was, he was interviewing a guy. His hot take was, gay people need to wear it on their shoulder.
Speaker 4: His reasoning?
Speaker 3: He's gay.
Speaker 13: Doesn't look like it, doesn't sound like it. You would have never guessed this guy was gay. Until he takes the sunglasses off and they're like, oh, now.
Speaker 4: I see it.
Speaker 13: And that's even what the one guy said. It was a pretty funny one because of how he was going off about how he.
Speaker 3: Doesn't look it, but he is. Is he talking about the show you were just talking about?
Speaker 4: That's what he says. They call him the hot take.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got you, yeah. All right, 407-916-1041. Text us 77031.
Speaker 4: I'm Jim.
Speaker 3: Devin Jacker here as well.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I know somebody about the Mountain Dew and Duke Cannon collaboration on the Mountain Dew soap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: Somebody had texted us earlier asking, so I can smell like a hormonal teenager who sweats while playing video games?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you can.
Speaker 3: You're that super attractive to the ladies.
Speaker 8: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, I want to apologize for Modern Plumbing because I got their website wrong 15 times in a 10-second period. It's modernpi.com.
Speaker 4: My apologies, guys. They deserve better from me. They really do.
Speaker 5: Well, upstep professional.
Speaker 3: Dolly expects better from me. So Dolly will get it. I mean, I don't mean it like that.
Speaker 4: A little gross.
Speaker 11: Rode by Modern Plumbing today. It's on my bike ride.
Speaker 3: Did you really?
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: There we go. Winter Springs, they have a facility. They're everywhere, man. I see their vans out there in Lake County all the time, too. All right, 407-916-1041. Again, you can always text us at 77031. Did you guys see Point Target? God almighty, poor Target. You know, I guess we say poor Target, but I mean, does Target step in it themselves?
Speaker 4: They did.
Speaker 11: And that's what we learned with that previous What'd You Do That's New video is just a.
Speaker 3: Series of Management moves.
Speaker 4: Gaffaws.
Speaker 15: Yes.
Speaker 5: Well, they did another one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they sure did.
Speaker 3: You have that story? What's the latest?
Speaker 5: I do, but yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, yeah, yeah. So Target apologizes. Let me tell you something. I have learned this in all my years of doing this job for a living. The minute you say apologize and the word Halloween in one sentence, we know what happened. We know what happened.
Speaker 4: Some KKK costume.
Speaker 3: You're close.
Speaker 4: What's the other side of that?
Speaker 3: Blackface. There you go. Target apologized. Halloween costume. A circus clown costume. Jack, I want you to go to this and find this thing. Type in Target Halloween.
Speaker 5: Just offensive costume, and it popped right up as soon as I did that. I read an article. I was like, show me. And then I saw the photo, and I was like, Target.
Speaker 3: Go to JimCobraLive.com. You can actually see it. Jack's going to put it up in the fourth panel right now. That's Dolly, buddy. Don't besmirch our Dolly. Not today, Jack. No disrespect.
Speaker 5: Somebody did make a Mountain Dew joke.
Speaker 4: I had Dolly there.
Speaker 3: You're telling me to change it. Yeah, change it, yes. But it looked like I thought you were going to change it, and then you put another picture of Dolly up. I thought you were doing jokes. No, I'm not doing jokes. I'm looking for your little Target thing that you just threw to me. It says the costume sold as, quote, kids glow under blacklight circus clown Halloween costumes. Promotes a social media backlash. And I thought to myself this morning when I read this headline, I'm like, how bad could it be? And then I– because they don't show it. They don't show it. They don't show it in the context of the story. You gots to go and look for it. You got to go find this.
Speaker 9: You got to go find this bad boy. It's like, we don't want you to look at this.
Speaker 3: And man, the minute I popped it in there and it came up, I went, oh! I was like– It's just like with the Good Good Golf thing. How do you make an ad where a guy shoves a woman to the ground, then lords over her saying, don't you touch my golf club, as if you're Clint Eastwood.
Speaker 9: And that gets cleared. Callaway's part of it. Good Good's one of the biggest golf companies out there right now. And that story still has legs.
Speaker 3: And then you think, how do you do that? And they're just a, look, they're a pretty good company. They're nothing like Target. I mean, Target is a gigantic company. How does this make it out? Like even the idea. Yeah, you got to blow one of those up and look at it.
Speaker 9: And the social media part that like a lot of people are like, so you get rid of everyone in DEI in Minneapolis. So there was no one that went through the chain of command that went, hey, you might want to rethink this.
Speaker 4: It's even worse.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what. No one's made this comparison yet. Not today that I've seen. But you know what it exactly looks like? Look at that face of that thing. Jack, blow that up if you can. And look at the face of this circus clown and tell me exactly what it looks like. Something from your childhood. What does that look like that scared the absolute hell out of you when you were a kid?
Speaker 5: Jack in a Box?
Speaker 3: No, that looks like the monkey from Wizard of Oz. That looks like the flying monkey face from the Wizard of Oz. Tell me that doesn't look like a monkey.
Speaker 9: Well, when you scroll down, some of the other photos will show it next to some of the old drawings of blackface, of minstrels.
Speaker 5: It's just such a bad look.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 5: Such a bad, bad look.
Speaker 3: Here's the best part. This is what they put out today.
Speaker 4: Hey, as a company.
Speaker 9: Yeah, if you keep going down, Jack, you'll see the comparison.
Speaker 3: It says, hey, as a company, we know we got this one wrong.
Speaker 11: And is the costume on a black kid?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Are they trying to lessen the blow by doing that?
Speaker 9: No, they said, we know this is especially hurtful for our black guests, team members, and partners removing the costume. Jack has this up on our fourth box. It's an important first step, and we are looking closely at how this happened and what needs to change to ensure this won't happen again.
Speaker 5: It means having someone in the room that can go, whoa.
Speaker 8: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 4: It's even worse.
Speaker 3: Somebody just text in. I will give you one guess. Please don't look at the texting service. What part of that glows? What could make that as bad as it could possibly be?
Speaker 4: Oh, the only thing. The teeth.
Speaker 5: The smile.
Speaker 4: It's the teeth. The only thing that glows is the teeth.
Speaker 5: Oh, my God. Look at the screen now, Jimmy. Look at that.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I guess I'm wasting money working here because I could be the CEO of Target and walk into the room.
Speaker 4: They're going, hey, Mr.
Speaker 3: Colbert, we got something for you. I would fire everybody in the room for even bringing me in to look at it. How do you not know how that's going to hit?
Speaker 4: How do you not know that? God almighty.
Speaker 3: Anyway, stultifying. How do you not know that's not going to hit like that? How do you look at that costume? Well, that's cool.
Speaker 9: Let's roll that out. Let's start selling those in Birmingham immediately. And they have a young black child that's that's modeling.
Speaker 3: Oh, my God almighty. It's pulled the costume that was sold as part of its seasonal hide and eek boutique brand. It was the latest in a series of reputational blows that Target has had to undercut sales. These guys cannot. This is like a bull in a china shop scenario. This is like me anywhere where things can break. I literally stick my hands in my pockets and walk around like I'm a scolded child that's been beaten my entire life. I knock things over on accident all the time. This is exactly that. Policy U-turn was widely viewed as a betrayal by black Americans who had embraced the retail giant and fueled its fortunes.
Speaker 9: Again, it's just for it to have made it this far, it had to go through multiple different departments for approval. I mean, someone had to look at the catalog and said, that looks great.
Speaker 3: Do I think Target's racist?
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're– they're dumb.
Speaker 4: It's clueless.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're just clueless. Which is almost worse.
Speaker 3: Do I think Target's got jokes? Do I think they put this out because they think they're getting over?
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 4: I just think they're dumb.
Speaker 3: Like whoever works in that C-suite needs to go live in the suburbs for like two years or something and figure out what real people like and what they think. Because the people up there in the C-suites in Target have no clue, dude. So if the model is a white kid, it hits differently, doesn't it?
Speaker 12: No.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: It doesn't? No, I don't think so, no, because I think that's a mesh. That's mesh over the smile, right? So I think the mesh is black, so whomever's in the thing, it will be lighter for sure, I.
Speaker 2: Believe, Jack.
Speaker 4: The face.
Speaker 3: That's his face, though. No, isn't there a black mesh over it? Isn't that a black mesh, like, hood?
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because, I mean, they have to have something to hold the smile. Yeah, that goes around him, but that's his face. From his nose to his eyes, that's his face.
Speaker 4: Understood.
Speaker 3: But what I'm saying is, even though that's his face, you're saying that's cut out there?
Speaker 4: That is.
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 11: So if it's a white kid, then it's just a white kid with a big smile and doesn't lean towards the comparison to blackface.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When I looked at it today, it looked like it was black mesh.
Speaker 5: Like a mesh with a smile. Yeah. It's like a... Yeah, because then that's what the hat attaches to.
Speaker 3: Large enough to zoom in without... Oh, I bet they've scrubbed the internet for every one of those. I can't believe you found those.
Speaker 5: They're very disappointed in you, Jack.
Speaker 4: Oh, God.
Speaker 14: Yeah, man.
Speaker 5: I think they're singing the C-suite today.
Speaker 6: Oh, wait.
Speaker 4: There he goes.
Speaker 5: He's got a much bigger.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: See, Jack, I think it has a I think it's a I think it's a mesh. It's a mesh like it like if you're going to rob a store and you're going to put a pantyhose over it because that's what the smile is attached to. I don't think there's a balaclava. That's his face.
Speaker 5: No, that's mesh.
Speaker 3: I'm not saying it's not his face, buddy. What I'm saying is I think that's mesh. I think that the smile is sewn onto a mesh cover and you just pull that over your head.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 9: So the collar, then the head part, and then the hat is attached to the mesh at the top.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: I'm not 100 on that because I don't think the smile– I think that's what holds the smile in place.
Speaker 5: And the hat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Let's go pick one.
Speaker 3: I love this. It says– Target has little room for error, says Brett Husslin. He's an analyst at Morningstar.
Speaker 5: He's going to be hustling.
Speaker 3: He goes, quote, as Target begins to gain traction repairing its brand reputation, this is exactly the stuff they want to avoid.
Speaker 4: Thanks, Brett. Yeah.
Speaker 3: We appreciate your input. We kind of figure that out now because of the national outrage thing. Mistakes are bad, okay?
Speaker 4: Mistakes are bad, okay?
Speaker 3: As we know, this is especially hurtful for our black guests, team members, and partners. Yeah, could you imagine stocking that as an African-American employee as they're putting that on target? They're like, what the hell.
Speaker 4: Is going on here?
Speaker 5: Who thought this was a good idea?
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: It says removing the costume is an important first step, and the company is looking closely how this happened and what needs to change to ensure this won't happen.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 3: It's blow everybody out in that department.
Speaker 5: And that includes Brett.
Speaker 3: And bring in new people who don't get that. I mean, I don't get it, man. Man, what a mistake. What a mistake. And you're right.
Speaker 4: It's funny.
Speaker 3: If this was the first thing like the targeted tripped on, I think people would go, well, you know, I mean, I guess anybody can make a mistake. But this is like the third or fourth thing that these guys are getting caught up in and not. I mean, we're not like third or fourth thing like in the last like five years.
Speaker 9: It almost makes you wonder, like, don't they see the need to say, OK, bring in someone from this department, that department, this department, everyone sit in the room. What do you see when we show you this costume? And get the opinions of the people behind closed doors.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what– go ahead.
Speaker 9: No, I was going to say for it to get through design to production to having a model to making into a catalog to being part of the store circular, it went through a lot of leadership who said, yeah, I like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had Ken the Driver, our guy who's a big fan of the show, super nice guy. He says Target costume probably slipped through the cracks because the people who have to approve or disapprove these costumes are probably in their 20s or 30s. And not from that time period. I mean, I look, I got to tell you, that's the best excuse I've heard so far. And if I was a target executive, I'd probably roll with that. Hey, look, sorry, the guys who approve this 20, 30 years old, they don't really see the minstrel comparisons here. Giant mistake. Throw everybody under the bus. Move forward.
Speaker 9: Do you remember when Abercrombie and Fitch several years ago, one of their young employees for the 4th of July had tweeted out a photo of and the Rockets red glare? Not realizing that what they had posted was a shot of the Space Shuttle Columbia.
Speaker 1: Oh, no.
Speaker 5: Or Challenger.
Speaker 4: Challenger.
Speaker 9: They had no idea because they weren't alive when the Challenger exploded. So they thought it was rockets red glare.
Speaker 4: Right, right, right.
Speaker 9: Not realizing because, again, they weren't from that era and they just didn't source where their photos came from.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you, Jack.
Speaker 3: Do you have the chat GPT, like the one that you use for everything? Do you have that on a computer in there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a website.
Speaker 3: I wonder if you dropped that image in the chat GPT and asked if that was race.
Speaker 4: What it would say.
Speaker 3: Like, do you think this is, is this a racist or racially motivated image that you see here?
Speaker 4: And see what it says. All right.
Speaker 3: Let me work on it.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm not, you know, you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 3: What are you saying? No, I can do it. It's not going to happen now. I got to save the photo.
Speaker 4: I got to upload it.
Speaker 3: It says, and marketing had to post it. So, I mean, this thing had to go through a number of hands.
Speaker 4: Production.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The concept of the thing from the very onset.
Speaker 9: Photographing the ad, getting the child model.
Speaker 5: I mean, everything.
Speaker 9: It had to go through a lot of approval before it actually made it to market. So, you'd like to think someone could have said, hey, did.
Speaker 6: You take.
Speaker 3: Well, I wish them the very best.
Speaker 5: That's what you say to something as they're starting a new job.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Brett.
Speaker 5: Not looking good for you, dude.
Speaker 3: We wish them the very best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do. They're going to need it.
Speaker 3: You are now the target.
Speaker 4: So you've won. All right.
Speaker 7: 407-916-1041.
Speaker 3: You can always text us at 77031. Back in one sec with more of the Jim Colbert Show. Stay right there.
Speaker 17: Talking about soda, growing up in New Jersey in the early 90s, I used to go visit my grandmother in the eastern side of Pennsylvania, like right across the river. And I remember she used to always take me to the A-Treat soda bottling facilities, like the little local ones. And it was super cool because they had these little plastic six-pack holders, and you could mix your own six-pack of soda. And they had this whole wall of all these different flavors of half-liter bottles. And if you brought back your empties, you got a credit. So that was a cool thing we used to always do when I hung out for the weekend was go mix up soda packs.
Speaker 3: That sounds good. As a kid?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be something. Oh, hell yeah. Let's go.
Speaker 3: If you threw me a bottle of Pepsi right now, I would chew through the side of it.
Speaker 5: Don't look at me. I'm not.
Speaker 3: That urge is not going away, huh? It is not, dude.
Speaker 4: You need to fix your life.
Speaker 3: I had a dentist appointment today, by the way. Have you guys been to the dentist in a while? My wife went today.
Speaker 4: Welcome back. I'm Jim. There's Deb.
Speaker 3: Hello. Jack is here as well. I don't know if you guys know this. They're giving that away these days. They are not. Dentistry is free in America. I learned that today. Well, you get your teeth cleaning. That's included in your health care, right?
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: My whole thing today was absolutely free. I walked right out of there without paying a dime.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: Our dental insurance, though, does not have a whole ton of money behind it. I have some work I need to get done. These two fakies up front, I'm about to get these fixed. That's where I got some, I got some crowding here at the bottom. We're going to fix that as well. So I kind of went in today and got a, a little overview of some things I want to do. I've been waiting on it for a while. My wife has been really busting my balls for a while to get it done. So I went in today to get a, you know, get it's a new dentist because I've been going to winter park, but of course I'm not driving 50 minutes to go to the dentist. So we picked a place out there that literally is around the corner from the house. She went there the other day and loved it. It was really good. I went there today and it was amazing. Um, and the doctor's very thorough and everything like that. But man, I got some.
Speaker 4: Issues, dude.
Speaker 18: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, nothing crazy. It's just that.
Speaker 11: Would you rather drive the 40 minutes and go to the dentist that's willing to overlook those issues?
Speaker 3: I don't think he's.
Speaker 4: I just look. He always asks. I just like, no, I'm not ready for that now. I'm not ready for that now. You can say that to the new guy as well.
Speaker 3: And by the way, you know, they don't do the they don't do the goop in your mouth anymore. They don't do that anymore. The fluoride? No, no, no, not the fluoride. We know Florida hates that.
Speaker 11: Well, that's why you can't get it at the dentist since it's no longer in your water.
Speaker 3: Exactly right. When they put that goop in your mouth to get an impression of your teeth, kind of get an idea of what they're like, they don't do that anymore. It's like a camera. It's like a color camera that's a wand. And they stick it in there and they wand your teeth. Let me tell you something right now. You know what you don't want to see in full color in front of your face on a television screen?
Speaker 5: Don't say it.
Speaker 3: The inside of your mouth? The back of your teeth.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 4: You got to brush there, dude.
Speaker 3: I know I brushed there, but man, apparently I don't brush there enough because I'm telling you, that was not flattering. Yeah, it's tough. When they put that up on the screen, I'm like, what is that animal? And I'm like, that is my teeth. It is not good, Debra. I mean, you have perfect teeth. You don't have to worry about it. Have you ever had a cavity?
Speaker 5: Of course, yeah.
Speaker 3: You have an absolute gorgeous. But you and Jack both have perfect teeth. I got Will Ferrell teeth. No, I had teeth growing over teeth.
Speaker 4: Oh, did you?
Speaker 11: Yeah, and I wore braces and had all of that stuff. But, I mean, just because your teeth are straight and you might not have a nice smile doesn't speak to the condition of your mouth and the teeth.
Speaker 3: Truthfully, you know, my wife found out she had her first cavity like two years ago, you know, and she's, you know, in her.
Speaker 4: She's like you?
Speaker 5: Man, did you learn quick.
Speaker 3: She's in her early adulthood.
Speaker 4: She's had a birthday. You know, she's that old.
Speaker 3: And she'd never had a cavity before and just got one here recently.
Speaker 4: In her 40s.
Speaker 3: I'll say that.
Speaker 5: Oh, look how sweet you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Also, I found out I may have to wear braces.
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 4: Awesome. Awesome.
Speaker 1: Awesome.
Speaker 3: I actually looked at my dentist.
Speaker 4: Oh, my God.
Speaker 5: It's Christmas in the control room.
Speaker 3: I actually looked at my dentist. She goes, well, you know, on this bottom part, if you want to get those straightened out, I'm that crowding dentist. is there, and we can take care of that.
Speaker 4: I go, Invisalign?
Speaker 3: She goes, or normal braces. And I said, normal braces? She goes, yeah, you can do normal braces. And I said... I got a buddy at work. And there's no one singular human being would love to see me more walking to work with braces as a damn near 60-year-old man. Just my bottom teeth, by the way. Just my bottom. I would look like a John Carpenter monster.
Speaker 9: You got to make sure you get the colored rubber bands. That was really hip with kids for a while.
Speaker 4: February 29th.
Speaker 11: 1980, I got my braces on. Had to have them for two years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: I have a shirt that I can give you. It has tin grins are in. And it's got a big smile with braces on it. I'd be willing to give that to you. I do not believe I will do the braces. I think I'll wind up doing Invisalign.
Speaker 4: I wonder why. It was just..
Speaker 3: You think I want to give that idiot fuel?
Speaker 5: I don't know if you can use the Invisalign and talk for a living.
Speaker 4: Come on, Metamile.
Speaker 3: You can pull it out and talk, can't you? She goes, you have to wear it 24-7, 20 or whatever.
Speaker 11: I'm like, you can pull it out and talk.
Speaker 5: No, you're going to slur. Not for four hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can. That's too long. Of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you'll have a speech impediment.
Speaker 4: You'll sound different.
Speaker 5: It's literally like..
Speaker 4: It will.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Jim Colbert show.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah. It will, dude.
Speaker 18: Like..
Speaker 5: That's the gift you're going to give Jackie.
Speaker 4: That's even better.
Speaker 2: I don't know why.
Speaker 4: That's even better. Yeah, let's get Invisalign. Somebody get us some drinks or something, man. You don't need it.
Speaker 5: You're getting braces.
Speaker 3: This has been the whack. Look, Dolly Parton passing just made this Tuesday. If I had a cone full of S, this is the cream on top of it. Do you have an appointment set yet? I want to start the countdown.
Speaker 4: To your list. Oh, man.
Speaker 3: It's going to be a minute. And I got to get teeth whitening and I got to get all kinds of stuff, guys. That's cosmetic.
Speaker 4: You don't have to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, you have to because here's the thing. I got these fakies when I got my teeth knocked out by this girl in school. She slung a purse at me and had a perfume bottle in it and it literally liquefied these two teeth right there. So those are fakies. And now you can, because it's old technology. And it doesn't look great. And my other teeth are naturally getting, you know, when you get older, your teeth get that gray or brown color. I just don't care what you do.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And so I've got to get them whitened. But then I said, can you whiten them to that tone? She goes, let's just replace all of that and just get it all done at once. And I go, okay, that sounds good to me.
Speaker 5: Ka-ching, ka-ching, ka-ching.
Speaker 3: Pull them all out and get dentures.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 5: No, don't do that.
Speaker 3: I'm not doing that.
Speaker 4: Almighty, dude.
Speaker 5: Look at him smile at that.
Speaker 4: Gummy Colbert.
Speaker 3: Nom, nom, nom.
Speaker 9: Now, apparently someone did say at 77031, they won't make you slur. My girlfriend wore them for nine months. You'll get used to them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple of my kids wore them.
Speaker 9: So are you getting pimples as well as you go through? Are you using Clearacel?
Speaker 3: Oh, they have these new star patches, these pimple patches.
Speaker 5: Oh, man, you see them on everybody, don't you?
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Why didn't they have those when we were kids?
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 3: They're bringing attention to it?
Speaker 4: Yes, but it's a star. And it almost looks like a tattoo.
Speaker 5: Like everybody knows what's under it. Yeah, but it's great, though.
Speaker 9: Rather than seeing the pimple, there's a little medicated patch, but it's in the shape of a heart or a star.
Speaker 3: And kids are doing that?
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: They're bringing attention to their acne by putting stars on it?
Speaker 11: My daughter used one at work. Someone goes, is that real? Is that a tattoo? They get a tattoo.
Speaker 4: Oh, really?
Speaker 9: It's a way to put medicine on it because they're going to see it anyway.
Speaker 5: But at least now, at least they see a little star or a heart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the old clear cell.
Speaker 4: You just have the makeup colored clear cell.
Speaker 3: You take control of it.
Speaker 4: You turn it into something different. Like a lisp. Do you wear braces?
Speaker 5: No, I was told I needed them.
Speaker 4: You do not.
Speaker 3: Who told you that?
Speaker 4: A dentist.
Speaker 3: Somebody trying to sell you braces? Because let me tell you, your teeth are perfect.
Speaker 4: A dentist.
Speaker 5: When I had teeth... growing over teeth.
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you have those taken out though, right?
Speaker 4: Obviously. No, they're just.
Speaker 5: Baby teeth that just didn't get out of the way of my permanent teeth.
Speaker 4: Got it, yeah.
Speaker 3: I do not look forward to all this stuff, but I do look forward to having a better smile. I have become a little self-conscious about my smile over the years.
Speaker 10: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: That happens.
Speaker 3: Just taking pictures the other day. We were taking them at the Science Center for the poker tournament. I was looking at some of those pictures. I'm like, damn, dude, that sucks. You get that wacko smile there. I want to get that taken care of. And I want Jack to make fun of me while I do it. Texter says, Jimmy would hate Invisalign.
Speaker 4: It's super annoying.
Speaker 3: You cannot eat or drink anything while you're wearing your retainer, and you have to brush your teeth every time you take it out if you're going to eat before you put it back in.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: And they're in HR. They talk 24-7 at work and cannot wear it during the day.
Speaker 3: And the other thing, too, is you can get them behind your teeth as well, right? But I heard that is a complete pain in the ass. Because they're really hard to clean. Have you heard that before? No, but I think you should try it. But they can put them behind. They can put the little things behind your teeth instead of in front. And I've heard that. I knew people who had that, and they said it was a complete nightmare because they're so hard to clean, and your tongue always gets caught on it.
Speaker 11: 100%. I can imagine that. Because you just pointed out how hard it is to brush behind your teeth.
Speaker 6: It is, yeah.
Speaker 11: Imagine if you have hardware there, and your tongue would be constantly hitting it.
Speaker 18: Duh.
Speaker 12: Ah.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: Baby's getting braces.
Speaker 3: All right, 407-916-1041. Text us at 77031. Back in a sec with more of the Jim Colbert Show. Man, it was really sad to hear that Dolly Parton passed away today at 80. What a classy lady. Man, she wrote so many hundreds of songs.
Speaker 4: She did. What a legend. The tributes will be pouring in for weeks to come.
Speaker 3: And you know, Jimmy, she also did a Pepsi commercial back in 1990.
Speaker 4: It's true. Google it.
Speaker 3: Is that the guy that always drops the Pepsi thing on me?
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I predict you will see one of the biggest tributes on network TV that you'll ever see for Dolly Parton. I'm sure it's in the works as we speak.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Every name of any musician that was ever influenced or ran into her will want to do something to show their appreciation for her talent and impact on the music business for years.
Speaker 11: Whether it's the New York Times or any major publication, you know, they already kind of have the obit outline.
Speaker 3: That was jim's thing for the while right he would read the obits well.
Speaker 11: Yeah he would always we'd always have to guess how big will her obituary be oh yeah how many pictures yeah yeah yeah so it's like is it a full page is it two pages i can't imagine that hers wouldn't be full page oh easy i mean i just simply can't imagine that they could come up with any other name that's you know that much more impactful especially to country music but i would say music in general entertainment in general actually that game is tough because it requires you to have the print edition Right, yeah. To be able to really confirm it as opposed to, I mean, you can look at story length and how many words are written.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back to the Jim Colbert Show. We're already at 104.1.
Speaker 4: I'm Jim. Deb is right there. Hello.
Speaker 3: Greg is here as well. Yeah, somebody was just texting and said, hey, be careful with your dentist. They upsell like vets. You got to be very careful because you don't know the lingo. You don't know anything what's going on. You trust them because they're doctors. And you don't realize that, you know, they're also a business. And you get in there and you think they're like, okay, you're going to look good here. You're going to look good there. Next thing you know, you're looking at a bill. It's like 10K, 15K. It's important to know, just like vets, who's the owner of that business?
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 11: Is it a private equity firm where the local dentist has to hit a certain benchmark of sales to remain profitable?
Speaker 3: That's a very good question.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, can I ask you a question on that, Jack? Do you think it's improper? Because that also has happened with veterinarians as well.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 3: The big vet, the hedge fund guys came in. They started buying up these vets, these mom-and-pop vets. They let them keep their name, but they are now beholden to the budgets that are … The people who gave them the money, right? Yeah, and they have to upsell, upsell, upsell. Is it not proper to ask them that? Like if you go to a vet, can you ask them, hey, are you sole owners of this or are you guys beholden to a hedge fund that bought you out? It is 100% appropriate to ask. Is it really?
Speaker 4: I would just, you know.
Speaker 5: Be prepared they don't have to answer.
Speaker 6: Well, yeah.
Speaker 11: If they want your business, if it's an independent owner, I know we are, you know, I think they'd be proud to say that if they don't already have that somewhere on the wall. I think my dentist has it somewhere like in the lobby.
Speaker 3: Interesting because the dentist that I went to this morning, actually the dentist's name is in the name of the business. It's blank by blank, and the last blank is the person's last name.
Speaker 4: I'd still check. Yeah, I will. They may have bought the name, too.
Speaker 3: And by the way, it's a beautiful facility. It really is. I mean, completely safe. She's an unbelievable professional. I mean, she was really, really good.
Speaker 11: It's nice when you find someone who's great, does their job well, you like going there, and they're in your plan.
Speaker 3: And by the way, here's the other thing. Check this out, right? Because I haven't used any of the dental insurance this year yet. So I think we went at like $ 1, 500 or something for that.
Speaker 4: Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: Is it per policy? I think mine's like $ 1, 500 or something, right?
Speaker 4: To pay for it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it applies that towards your bill for each year.
Speaker 4: Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: So if I get this stuff done at the end of this year, I can carry it over to the beginning of that next year and boom, boom. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, you got a plan.
Speaker 3: And by the way, I got to tell you, I thought it was going to be way more. This is one of the few times I went to the doctor, and when they showed me the bill or what they want to do, like this is a projection.
Speaker 11: And it was way less than I thought it was going to be, dude. That's how I feel when I check out at Aldi.
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: Wow, that's way less than I was expecting. Hey, did you see the thing today in the sales thing?
Speaker 4: No, what do you got?
Speaker 3: Possibility of a, you know, there's an endorsement deal out there for BJ's. Oh, I already... I put in for that like immediately.
Speaker 4: Well, so did I.
Speaker 3: And I also sent the video I did on day one.
Speaker 4: Oh, did you really?
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Was it for BJ's?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But you're a Costco member, aren't you? Or Sam's? You're a Costco guy. Oh, you have a BJ's thing as well. I can't tell you how many times you just repeat things I've just said. But you have a BJ's thing and you have a Costco thing, but you don't really talk about BJ's very often.
Speaker 4: You talk about Costco a lot.
Speaker 11: I talk about what I have the opportunity to talk about. Every time I talk about getting gas, where do I get gas, Jimmy? Where do I get gas?
Speaker 4: Costco, dude. No, I get it at BJ's. See, you don't listen.
Speaker 3: You don't listen. That's the one thing you got right today. All right, 407-916-1041. Text us at 77031. So I saw a story in the BBC today, and it's a story about United States restaurants, about restaurants in this country. And I find it interesting. And it's a new way that restaurants are handling their business, specifically one part of it, the part that we all hate.
Speaker 2: Tipping.
Speaker 4: Tipping.
Speaker 5: I was going to say pang.
Speaker 4: Same.
Speaker 3: So what's happening now is there are a series of restaurants. This one that they're talking about happens to be in San Francisco, but later down the story, there's another one I believe that's in New York. What do you think the change is? Including it in the bill? That's exactly it. No more tipping at these restaurants. They do not tip. But what they tell you is, it says when you go in there, It's a set price of $ 140 a person to eat at that restaurant. Now, of course, we see that a lot in restaurants these days with these prefix menus.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Magical is going on right now. It's a prefix menu. You have $ 40 or $ 5 or $ 60, whatever restaurant you go to. It usually is dependent on the proteins you're getting in that particular meal, right? If you're getting filet and prawns and stuff, you can expect your meal to be $ 60 for that particular thing. But if it's just like a chicken and stuff like that, It won't be as expensive. What they're saying is they're pre-setting everything up front so that when you come and have dinner at the restaurant, it's out-the-door pricing. There is no more, you know, you feel guilty because of this or this person did this or whatever. That allows them to pay the staff equally because one of the things they talk about, and we don't talk about this very often. I really have never asked this question. When it comes to tip sharing, isn't that just with the servers and the bar staff? It depends on the place. You have hostesses that will run food for to-go orders. If they get tipped, sometimes they include the kitchen. Sometimes they don't.
Speaker 11: But servers will tip out the bar because the bar is making their drinks for their table.
Speaker 4: Right, right, right. So as..
Speaker 11: I mentioned the hostesses might also bust tables. Then you tip out your busser too because as a server, you want them to turn that table– you want to turn your table over as fast as possible. The sooner the busser cleans it, the more you can get another table there and make more money. So it's kind of– you tip out the people who help you do your job better.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So what I– I did not know this, Deb, but apparently– like the kitchen kind of gets forgotten, but they're on a different pay schedule altogether though.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Because, you know, they get paid, like, you know, if you get a good chef or whatever, maybe they're making 25, 30 bucks an hour or whatever. They don't like, they're not in that world.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: They don't, they don't get to be part of that. And they say that is a gross disproportionate scenario for the entire restaurant. I believe this restaurant is doing it kind of like we take in all the money. We're paying everybody. Well, like as a server, you're going to wind up making $ 35, $ 40 an hour. As a cook, you're going to wind up making this. And that way there's no tipping, no pressure. That's the whole idea of what they're doing here. Nice. Now, what that means is when you look at your dinner and you see, and it's so funny because you almost have to fool yourself into believing that. How much was your dinner? It was $ 25. But how much was your tab? Oh, it was $ 50. you know, or 70 or 80. Like we went to the magical dining that are night. And because we got a couple of cocktails, what our bill could have been was $ 120.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: Because it was $ 60 a person. But we didn't stop there. We got some wine, we got a cocktail, and then your dinner, add that on. And then when you put your tip on there, you're like, wow, it doubled. Almost doubled just by adding a couple things on. And this process doesn't really do that when it comes to that. Now, if you order cocktails, of course, it's different. That's just the meal experience is that much. And, you know, that means no more tipping, no more any of that stuff. There's no pressure on that. You know, people in the context of the story were asking, well, is that going to diminish the quality of my service? Because if the person knows that it's a set fee going in, will they give me that same service trying to get a little extra money on me by doing that a little bit much more?
Speaker 11: Or if the compensation is right for them, it's a job. They know what they're going to make. They like doing that and they want to keep it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 11: So they're not going to do anything to jeopardize that by putting forth poor service.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's exactly what somebody just texted into the problem, not having a tip structure. There's no incentive for working harder or providing a really memorable experience.
Speaker 4: But you know what?
Speaker 3: I think that goes to the culture of the restaurant, does it not?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I mean, if you have a good head chef, you have a good general manager and they're building a culture of, Hey, look, let's go out there and kill it, you know, because we can get more covers in here and, you know, and, and, you know, make more money and, uh, you know, I mean, it doesn't matter. I guess it's going to be set at 20%. Isn't it the industry standard now, like 20%? Or is that still considered a good tip?
Speaker 11: 20% is good. Well, it might be because it always starts at now. It used to be 15%, 18%, and then 20%. What are the three options when they give you those predetermined options?
Speaker 4: 15% is off the board. It starts at 18% now. Yeah, it starts at 18%.
Speaker 14: 18%, 22%, 30%.
Speaker 3: Yeah, 18%, 22%, 30%. 30%. That's because you go to fancy places.
Speaker 9: But as somebody who used to wait tables, I mean, that experience, you could bust your ass on a table of eight, and they'll leave you a couple of bucks. Or better yet, one of those cards that says Jesus loves you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Because those always help pay your bills.
Speaker 3: You know, it is funny. That does happen. A lot. My son is a server, and he's been doing it for quite a while, and he's very good at it, does very well. Yeah. I wonder how he would react to this because I got to tell you, I think he would not be for this, and I'll tell you why. He's really learned how to do this job. He's learned how to be courteous. He's learned how to be charming and be funny and give the people a really good experience at the restaurant, and they take good care of him. If they take that out of his pocket, I wonder if that would make him feel like literally are taking the opportunity away from him to showcase his skill set.
Speaker 9: Well, what I was talking about was when I waited tables at Mark's Big Boy. That's going to be a market of difference from where your son is working. So maybe for those restaurants where you're not looking for a dining experience, but your staff still wants to get paid, maybe that would work better for that and let the fine dining establishment still allow their waitstaff.
Speaker 5: To determine the size of the tip.
Speaker 3: And look, the place he works, he has regulars. He has people that come in once a week, every week. They get the same table. They sit in his section. They specifically ask for him. And I think that if they were to change that process, I don't know that that would matter. I mean, I guess they probably would because they like his personality, but I don't know. And I guess you still have the option, even if you pay, if you wanted to throw the guy a couple extra dollars, even on top of the tip tip, you could do that. But man, I mean... You know, already you're getting hit for 20, 22%. I can't imagine people are going to start shelling out more cash, even if they do like the person. I mean, I like him. I ain't getting any more money. All right. 407-916-1041. Text us at 77031. Is this Amendment 3? Is that what the number is? So this property tax incentive, of course, when it first dropped, got as much attention as you can imagine, of course, as November approaches and the voting will be happening on this amendment. It's really starting to ramp up. Have you guys seen it on social? How much conversation is happening about this now?
Speaker 11: Yeah, well, when it first came out, I saw a lot of, you know, that's when towns, municipalities are saying, look, this is our budget, and this is where the money comes from. This is what we spend it on, and something's going to give here.
Speaker 9: For me, it was seeing conservative sheriffs around Central Florida, from Mike Chitwood to Grady Judd, when they came out and said, you know, Wayne Ivey over in Brevard County, when Grady Judd said, this is a train wreck. I thought that's something worth paying attention to because he's a conservative sheriff and he's talking about how this is going to affect your public safety.
Speaker 4: Yeah, 100%.
Speaker 3: So we have Charles Chapman. He's going to join us. He's a legislative advocate for the Florida League of Cities, and they deal with a lot of cities around Florida. And we're going to talk to him about what that could do to cities that you live in as you listen. So we'll talk to Charles next.
Speaker 1: The common sense financial advice you need. It's only money with Scott Brown. Today at 620 on The Jim Colbert Show.
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back to the Jim Culver Show. We're already at 104.1. Thanks so much for tuning in today, guys. We appreciate that very much, as we do every day.
Speaker 4: I am Jim.
Speaker 3: There's Deborah.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 3: Jack is here as well.
Speaker 4: What up?
Speaker 3: And Jack is the one who gave me the heads up on this gentleman. We've been looking for someone who can really speak to this issue and make sure people understand what they're voting for come November. You guys give it up good and loud for Charles Chapman. What do you say? Charles, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 2: I'm doing fantastic. Better than I deserve and totally happy.
Speaker 4: To be with you guys.
Speaker 3: So glad to hear that. This is something that we have been talking about since the inception of this idea. We've had on a couple of mayors, Mayor of Sanford, Mayor of Oviedo up here in the Orlando area. Both of them kind of laid it out pretty bluntly exactly what could happen if this property tax initiative does go through, trying to explain to people what they could lose in their community. And a lot of people really for some reason, have a real hard take on that. There's this overwhelming concern that the government is really wasting everybody's tax dollars. And I think we can both agree that certainly has happened before. But can you kind of lay out what cities and municipalities are looking at if this does make it through or what's happening with this?
Speaker 2: Well, great. Thank you for that, Tia. And thank you for having those mayors on. I mean, their voices are so important. They really have their boots on the ground. They know their cities best. Working for the Florida League of Cities, we represent all 411 cities in the state of Florida, from Pensacola to Key West. So we get to see this truism, right, that cities come in all different shapes and sizes, right? And it comes down to this. Cities are the only government of choice in the state of Florida. When you move here, you don't have a choice. You're going to live in a county. You're going to live in a school district. you're going to end up in some sort of a special district for water management, most likely, and then there's a variety of other different smaller special districts. But you, as a consumer, get to make a choice of whether or not you're going to live in the unincorporated county for that level of service they provide, or you're going to choose to live in a city for a different level, most oftentimes higher level of service, for your total quality of life experience. And so For me to give you a one-size-fits-all answer is almost impossible because even in Orlando, the Orange County area, you've got Orlando as the major metropolitan area. They're looking at a massive loss from this $ 150, 000 to $ 250, 000 homestead exemption two-step that this is moving into, where they're losing $ 31 million in the first year, $ 59 million in the next year. But then you have this case study right down the road, and Edgewood is And they're going to be losing, in a small municipality itself, $ 453, 000, $ 857, 000 respectively year one, year two. Now, those numbers are significantly smaller. But what that means is that Edgewood is going to be faced with a series of decisions for the services that they provide to those residents that call that place home. That's not simply going to be, oh, we're going to peel back a little service here, or we're going to make a little trend there, and you're still going to have the same experience. No, this is flesh and bone type conversations where some programs may have to end. In extreme examples, there are cities in the state of Florida that they only receive property tax revenue. And this may make them have to have some really tough choices of either becoming completely state-funded dependent through grants and revenue shares, which means they got to go to Tallahassee with their handout and say, can you help us fund these services? And that's a whole different conversation than what our current representative democracy was meant to make, that you get to talk to the decision maker and the public's checkout line, and you get to vote on those local city officials on how they're spending their money. And it takes the decision from home and plants it up here in the capital city, which I call this place home. But at the same time, do you really want people in Tallahassee making decisions for you back in Maitland or Ocoee or Edgewood or Belle Isle?
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Charles, I didn't mean to interrupt. My apologies.
Speaker 4: Of course.
Speaker 3: The other aspect is, okay, so Deltona is one of those municipalities we're talking about that will lose, that is 100% driven by property tax revenue, right? It provides everything that Deltona has. And if you do have to go to the state, the state still has to come up with that money somewhere. All right. That money is now gone. That property tax money is gone. Where is the state going to provide that grant money they're talking about? Where's that coming from?
Speaker 2: Well, that is really the multi-billion-dollar question because we think 411 municipalities, 67 counties, nearly 1,800 special districts, which include children's services councils, hospitals, mosquito control, water management, fire districts, and the like that are dependent on this. How is there going to be a trust fund big enough at the state level to be able to make up these funding gaps, number one? Number two, the state of Florida, from their own economists and their pattern for the last two legislative sessions, are preparing for a budget deficit over the next three years where they're going to have to look at their own budget and see what they can afford to provide in terms of services. So that's really a conundrum. I think that was one of the reasons why this mysterious trust fund that was originally talked about early on in this process was removed from this ballot language. There's no guarantee. There's no soft padding here, folks. This thing hits hard like a skateboarder on concrete. It's going to be a problem for folks that come to Tallahassee and buying for very limited resources. So what's that alternative, right? That means cities are going to have to look at other ways to come up with funds or they're going to have to look at the services that they provide and make adjustments accordingly. We've said all along, this is not necessarily a tax cut. This is a tax shift.
Speaker 4: Yes.
Speaker 2: It's a shift. And people say, oh, no, you're making that up.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: Do you pay a fire special assessment fee today? If you do, that fee is likely to go up because I guarantee you there's some property tax subsidies that are going in to help fund things like emergency medical services in the fire department. Because guess what? Fire special assessments don't pay for EMS. They don't pay for EMS. If you think about things like your parks and recreation leagues, I've got three kids that play Parks and Recreation athletic leagues, right? I got one in soccer. I pay $ 400 a season. There's two seasons in a year for that young man to play in that soccer league. And I know there's a property tax subsidy because we're not covering the cost of maintenance of the field, the lights, the referees, all of that stuff within that registration. That's basically the shirt, the coaches, the trainers, and the program itself. Hey, That fee is going to go up.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. Again, I'm sorry to interrupt. It's just hard to communicate with the Zoom thing. But one of the things we talked to Megan Sladek about in Oviedo specifically because they have in the Winter Springs area, they have this giant Central Winds Park. It's a major area where people play Little League baseball and do things. We have myriad boat ramps around this area for the St. Johns and the lakes and things of that nature. And when I'm talking to people about this and look, I would benefit from this for you greatly. I would benefit from the property tax being gone. Look, it would, it would be awesome to not have to pay that. But I also understand what that money provides. I said, are you ready to pay $ 35 to launch your boat every time? Are you ready to pay the 40 bucks to go to your own kids, little league team? I mean, because these, this is what you're looking at. You're going to look at individual a la carte charges for these services, because this is what your property taxes pay for. You're not gonna be able to just walk onto the field anymore. That thing doesn't cut itself. They're going to chain that up. The lights are coming down, all of that. They said that one of the first things they'll do is start tearing out the playgrounds because they won't be able to afford the insurance in case somebody falls and hurts themselves while they're playing.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: You're spot on, Jim. And one other thing that tends to resonate when I talk about this, I'm currently in what I call the sandwich generation, right? I've got parents that are elderly. We're having to help take care of them. I've got three teenagers.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: So I'm getting pulled in both directions. If we didn't have valid, you know, great library service programs, a senior services center and things for my parents to go and do things during the day to free my time up. I have a whole different decision making metric at my kitchen table. What am I going to do with mom and dad who are still at home and still in good health? But for how long? You know, those are the types of things that, yeah, it's one thing to talk about a la carte fees for services. But what if that's not enough? What happens when the library goes from seven days a week to four? And as a homeschool parent, like I am, you're using that library in a variety of different things. Libraries aren't just checking out books anymore, folks. It is the internet cafe for folks that don't have computers at home. It's classrooms for people with school choice. We got to get an up-to-date modeling on what are these services that people enjoy and Talking.
Speaker 3: To Charles Chapman from the League of Cities, Deb.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 9: So, Charles, I wanted to ask more specifically, what are the potential impacts on hospitals with that lack of property tax support?
Speaker 2: OK, so representing the cities, I don't have hard numbers on the hospital side, but I can give you the theory of it. So it hopefully will help you make sense. One thing we hear constantly is, oh, hospitals will be fine. No, ma'am, because if they are funded through a property tax levy said differently, they apply a millage rate to the tax rule to get their funding. So the biggest one I can come up with Jackson Memorial, Miami-Dade, right? One of the biggest, best known publicly funded hospitals in the country. They're going to get hit with this, too. which means they've got to look at other things, such as are they able to stay on the cutting edge of research and development? Are they going to have to look at a different cost center model? Are you going to look at insurance premiums go up? There's tier two, tier three, tier four type decisions that have not been contemplated within this. This was rushed through and not very well studied. There's so many extra implications. Once you start walking down this road of the ripple effect, That's going to lead us into what I'm pointing over the next two years as summers of surprises or the what do you mean experience in terms of what do you mean that's not available anymore? What do you mean you've got to shut down my county health department? What do you mean I've got to go or consolidate my city because they can't afford to operate the same way anymore?
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Charles, a lot of people, I mean, on a macro level will say, yeah, I see it benefits the community. And then they look at their assessment. We had a person text in. They said, these people could find the money from elsewhere. I need a break. I just got my tax bill of $ 10, 000 on a $ 300, 000 home. And the house, this is absolutely ridiculous. So When that one person, you know, all problems come back to the local and the wolf they have to feed at the door. If they're like, I need this money, how do you break through to that person, you know, to serve the greater good of their community?
Speaker 2: Well, I think we have to start with nobody likes to pay taxes, period. Nobody likes to. I don't like to pay taxes, and I work advocating for local governments. I haven't met an elected official out there that loves to pay taxes. So I think we have to start there. The second bit is you also have to understand your property tax bill and understand that it's not one bill. It's five bills, sometimes six bills all rolled into one. The third part of that is if you are not happy with the tax rate you're paying, I would ask, have you gotten involved with your local city council or your county government to have the conversation about where's that money going? What are those services that I get for my money? And then see what is that opportunity for you to get right size. There's a ton of other opportunities to bring that tax bill down. There's the value adjustment board. You can challenge the valuation of your property. There's a lot of things. Nobody is saying that property taxes are not high in this state. They are. We've had a real estate boom for the last five years post COVID. We're starting to see the real estate market begin to levy out. It's a function that we've seen three or four times in the last 20 years. The market does begin to correct itself. We get that people need help now. Affordability is probably the hardest thing to define out there because it's highly subjective. What's affordable to me is not, say that differently. What's affordable to Jeff Bezos is not affordable to me. So that comes into it. And anything we're talking about waste, waste is also subjective. Look, I don't have any pets, right? I don't necessarily love the fact that there's a dog park right down the road that I see only maybe three or four people using all the time. But those people that use that dog park, that's their socialization sphere. That's their time in the sunshine. That's a highly valued thing. I may consider it as waste, but they may love it as a community feature.
Speaker 3: But that evens out everywhere. I mean, you could apply that to a number of services provided by any county or city that somebody just doesn't use because they're not into that particular thing. There are walking trails all around Central Florida. I've been on maybe three of them my entire life, but I'm not saying everybody else shouldn't have it. because I don't go walk on them. I mean, that's relatively short-sighted, in my opinion. The one thing I did want to ask about this is, when you talk to people when the city's around there, what is the mentality that the governor has had about this? He introduces this as a lame-duck governor. it hits the wall like a ton of bricks and then kind of backs off from it. Now there doesn't seem to be that same support. What is the vibe of that? He's the one who introduced this, and now it doesn't seem like he has that same fervor for it. Why is that happening?
Speaker 2: I think there's just a lot going on in the political sphere right now. And as far as getting into the governor, his intentions or otherwise, I'm not willing to go down that train too far. But what I will say is that all along, since this was introduced in February of 25, we've been calling for a full study of this to know exactly what you're getting into, know what those unintended consequences are going to be. Here we are now faced with this real ballot initiative. We're beginning to get out and educate and inform the voters. Look, cities cannot get out there and tell you to vote yes or vote no, but they can tell you what the impact of this will be to the services that you enjoy on a daily basis that you may not even make a connection with. And so I think there's a little bit of that realization that's happening statewide, no matter who you are. that there's going to be some impacts to this. And you know what? The thing that I hear most frequently is that, oh, public safety is protected. Well, folks, there's no protection in this bill. There's no protection in this ballot for public safety. Now, I'm not saying that they're going to come after public safety. It's number one or number two after you cover insurance and debt obligations, and then you find public safety than everything else. But some instances in these smaller communities, like you mentioned with Deltona, There's not enough money at the end of the day that they can keep public safety whole. They're going to have to make some adjustments.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Charles, it's part of the trickle-down effect here. Is it possible where people would see their own property value diminish when they start seeing these services diminish in their communities?
Speaker 2: Well, again, I'm not a real estate expert, so I will just say this. If you look up what goes into evaluating your home and what makes it marketable to somebody, it's usually a couple of key features, right? One, is it a safe neighborhood? Two, is it close to a fire hydrant and a fire station so that what's called the ISO rating, the insurance services rating, which means that you've got a reasonable response time whenever you call 911, the fire truck's going to be there. If those things start getting impact, People are not going to feel safe. You're going to have higher property insurance. There's also the fact that you have parks that contribute greatly to your home value. You have sidewalks. You have well-maintained streets. All of those things could start being delayed or just closed because you can't afford to maintain those parks up to par in the service level the residents expect.
Speaker 3: Go ahead.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: There could be a direct impact to the value of your home long-term because those community features... in that community you chose to live in are no longer being provided at the same level as it was when you purchased that home.
Speaker 3: We have a guy that is texting in and he says that we're handling this as a one-sided thing. He goes, yeah, it's time for pay to play. Pay for the resources you use. No taxes! So that would mean this. If that gentleman's house catches on fire and he calls the fire department, the first question they ask is, can you afford the $ 1, 500 or $ 2, 000 or $ 4, 000 for us to come out and put out your fire? Or if we have somebody lurking around my house and I have to call the cops, are the cops going to ask, yeah, we'd love to come out, but this is a pay-for-play area, so do you have the $ 150 or $ 200 to pay us to come out and check out and see if there's a bad guy around your house? Is that the kind of pay-for-play he's talking about? I'm asking facetiously, but it seems like that's what he wants. He goes, no taxes. I'll only pay it for when I use it. But that's a very interesting concept considering that this is the same thing that people bitch about when their insurance hits them and goes, yeah, you can't even come in for that appointment until you give me $ 200. You've got to do that to even get the appointment. And people get mad about that, but this is the same scenario, I guess, that they're kind of talking about with the pay-per-play thing. Like, you know, if your house is burning down, you've got to call the fire department. They're like, look, we'd love to come help.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But unfortunately, you're in a pay-for-play area, and that's going to be $ 1, 000. If you don't have that right now, we can't come out.
Speaker 11: Charles, any place you can recommend online for people to go to see where the cities are projecting? Is there one website or area where people can get more information on how this will affect the city near them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. So if you go to the flcities.com website, It's not hard to find. FLCities.com, you go a little bit down from the top of the page, you'll see property tax resources. You click on that. There's a ton of information, a lot of data that's there. There's an academic study we did with the public finance institute out of Wichita State University in Kansas. You might ask Kansas, why Kansas? We wanted something independent from Florida, someone to take a different look so they wouldn't be biased. There's a lot of strong information there. Plus, I would also look at a website called Local Voices United, which is geared toward everyday average Joe citizens. And it gives great information as far as what property tax impacts will be. Those are the two quick ones right off the bat. Without giving you all of the legislative office of economic and demographic research stuff that people, I mean, I glaze over when I start looking at some of these numbers, but There's more data than you can shake a stick at. It's just getting the time to sit down in front of your computer or on your phone and start looking this stuff up. But the best thing that they could do is if you're really questioning where your property tax money is going, call City Hall. go make yourself available of this thing. Most city halls are right in the middle of town. Take a two hour trip, go down there, talk with some folks, figure this thing out for yourself and what that decision making metric might look like for you at the kitchen table.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Charles, we're short on time. We've got to go, but I do want to ask you this one last question because we've got it. You know, somebody just called in and said, Hey, look, are you to have somebody on the air that is for this? And can I ask you, do you know anybody in your circus or in your circumference that That is for this. What is the number one argument outside of I'm putting that money back in my pocket for this that you've heard?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, we hear this talking point quite frequently and it's nationwide. It's nationwide is that you never truly own your home as long as you pay property taxes. Right. Well, then I would offer that as a counter that you never really ever own your car. You never truly own your cell phone because you're still paying for those services to make those things work and make them special and functional. You stop putting gas in your car, you stop paying insurance, you stop buying your license tag, all those things. That car's not going to be worth anything to you because it's going to be operating illegally or it won't have any gas to run.
Speaker 4: Right, right.
Speaker 2: Cell phone's the same thing. If you stop paying Verizon, AT & T, or T-Mobile, great. You've got a piece of technology in your hand, but it's got no service that makes it work the way it's supposed to.
Speaker 3: Well, I appreciate your time, buddy. And that website is great. A lot of people are asking, where can I see? And I think most of these cities, if you go to their websites, they have their budgets posted. I think that has been a big initiative for the Florida League of Cities is to get those budgets out there so people can kind of go through them themselves and find out where they think waste is happening in their community. Then they can go to those commission meetings and say, hey, look, I don't like this. I don't like the fact that we're We're doing this. Flock cameras is a big thing I'm hearing about. Like we should be paying for that or should be paying for counties to have two patrol boats. They don't feel they need that without really getting into the idea of how many people they're serving with that. But if you go to most of these municipalities, excuse me, municipalities websites, it does have that information there.
Speaker 4: It's fully transparent.
Speaker 3: It has to be.
Speaker 4: It's it's the law.
Speaker 2: Correct. It should be right there within a couple of clicks. You can get more information than you ever want to know about your local city budget right there on their website.
Speaker 3: Charles, always good talking to you, buddy. Thank you so much. Good night for Charles Chapman, guys.
Speaker 4: What do you say? Be a good man.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much.
Speaker 16: 407-916-1041.
Speaker 4: Text us 77031.
Speaker 3: Back in a sec with trivia. Load them up.
Speaker 4: It's time.
Speaker 3: Input for sure. I'm Jim, there's Deb.
Speaker 5: Hello.
Speaker 3: Jack is here as well.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 4: What's in the Jackie sack, buddy? All aboard. Chugga-chugga. Choo-choo.
Speaker 3: Clickety-clack, clickety-clack.
Speaker 4: We have a choice of prizes.
Speaker 11: It could be tickets to see Orlando City SC take on San Diego FC at Interdaco Stadium September 5th. Or maybe it's a pair of tickets to this Friday night's race.
Speaker 4: It's the.
Speaker 11: NASCAR Series O'Reilly Auto Parts Winn-Dixie 250. This is happening at Daytona International Speedway. It's abbreviated as NOAPS. And I have to remember what NOAPS stands for. The race people do that all the time, every single year.
Speaker 3: It's the Menards, Coke Zero, Renard Windows 500. It's ridiculous.
Speaker 11: So NOAPS is... NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Part Series.
Speaker 4: All right, there you go.
Speaker 11: The Winn-Dixie 250, which is the Friday night race at Daytona International Speedway.
Speaker 4: You want to win?
Speaker 3: You're going to have to beat Jim at trivia.
Speaker 4: Oh, very good. Okay.
Speaker 5: So back to you. Clickety-clack.
Speaker 4: Thank you, young lady.
Speaker 3: One, two, three, four, or five?
Speaker 5: Let's do five.
Speaker 3: Five sounds good. That is Cappy. Cappy, how you doing?
Speaker 11: I'm great.
Speaker 14: How are you?
Speaker 4: Good to hear, Cappy. I'm doing great. Want to play a little game with us?
Speaker 8: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Well, let's do it.
Speaker 9: All right, Cappy, this is a real easy game.
Speaker 3: Got a question here for you. Four answers. One of these is not true.
Speaker 4: What?
Speaker 3: But if you can find it, I'll send you over to see Jack. And he's got some nice stuff. Find something nice for yourself.
Speaker 4: Are you ready? Here we go.
Speaker 3: On this day in 2026, American country music legend and icon Dolly Parton has passed away. Here are three fun facts about Dolly and a lie I will always love.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: We're talking about Dolly Parton, Cappy. Which one of these is not true? You ready? Here we go. Number one, her father paid the doctor that delivered her with a bag of cornmeal. Number two, she wrote Jolene and I Will Always Love You over one weekend. Number three, she was only 13 years old when she played the Grand Ole Opry for the first time, and she had three encores. Or lastly, she was exactly five feet tall. Which of those is a lie?
Speaker 1: Number three.
Speaker 3: No, that's absolutely true. She played the Grand Ole Opry at only 13 years old and had three encores when she did it.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Pretty damn amazing.
Speaker 4: I agree 100%.
Speaker 3: One, two, three, or four, Debra?
Speaker 5: Let's go two.
Speaker 3: Two sounds good. That is our friend Paul. Paul, how you doing?
Speaker 6: Excellent, Jim, and yourself.
Speaker 3: Doing great, Paul. We're talking about Dolly Parton. Which one of these is not true? Number one, her father paid the doctor that delivered her with a bag of cornmeal. Number two, she wrote Jolene and I Will Always Love You over one weekend. Or lastly, she was exactly five feet tall.
Speaker 4: It's her height.
Speaker 3: She's... I don't believe it's the last one. No, yeah, she's only five feet tall. Matter of fact, they make a big deal about her being only two inches taller than Danny DeVito, who's famously like 4'10, or something like that. Yeah, that's absolutely true. All right, Deb, one, two, or four? Or one, three, or four?
Speaker 5: I'm confused. Let's go one.
Speaker 3: One sounds good.
Speaker 4: We'll do that.
Speaker 3: Andrew, how you doing?
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 17: How you doing, man?
Speaker 4: Doing good, boss.
Speaker 3: We're talking about Dolly Parton, the late great. Number one, her father paid the doctor that delivered her with a bag of cornmeal. Or lastly, she wrote, Jolene, and I will always love you over one weekend.
Speaker 17: Let's go with the cornmeal.
Speaker 3: No, that's absolutely true. The only rumor there is it could have been a bag of oats or cornmeal. Most people believe it was a bag of cornmeal that he paid the doctor that delivered her for. And then, of course, lastly, we'll have to go to number right here. How about Jason? Jason, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man.
Speaker 3: Tell me if this is true or not. She wrote, Jolene and I will always love you over one weekend.
Speaker 4: That, sir, is a lie.
Speaker 3: That is a lie. How long do you think it took her to write them?
Speaker 17: Less than that.
Speaker 3: She wrote them in one afternoon.
Speaker 5: Oh, wow.
Speaker 3: Two of the biggest hits of her career, she literally wrote back-to-back in one afternoon.
Speaker 4: Wow. How about that?
Speaker 3: Buddy, you're a winner.
Speaker 4: I'm going to put you on hold. Good job, Jason.
Speaker 3: He is going there. A couple other things about Dolly before we get to the top of the hour. She was one of 12 children. What was her middle name? That's a tough one, right? I almost made this the question here. Yeah, I mean, there's no way to know this. Nobody's ever said it. Her middle name is Rebecca.
Speaker 4: Oh, wow.
Speaker 3: Dolly Rebecca Parton.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: How many decades did she win a CMA award in?
Speaker 4: Five. Is the answer.
Speaker 5: Good guess, Jack.
Speaker 3: Five decades in a row she went to CMA.
Speaker 11: I figured from 70 on.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then lastly, she was offered the Presidential Medal of Freedom twice and turned it down both times.
Speaker 4: Really?
Speaker 3: She said it was because of scheduling, but people around her said that it was her. She did not feel she deserved it. She was too humble to take it.
Speaker 5: Oh, wow.
Speaker 4: How about that? That's why we love her. Yeah, yeah. All right.
Speaker 7: 407-916-1041.
Speaker 3: Text us.
Speaker 7: 77031.
Speaker 3: Take a little break. Back in a sec with more of the Jim Colbert Show. Stay right there.
Speaker 7: Of course, all the sheriffs want their tax dollars so they can spend it on bear cats and boats to patrol the beaches and waterways that are so unsafe. Also, Volusia County has 8,400 building permits that they haven't kept up on and have lost $ 380, 000 in reinspection fees. Yeah, let's vote out the taxes, and if it becomes a bad idea, we can just vote them back in.
Speaker 5: Constitutional amendment.
Speaker 20: I got a letter in the mail from the tax agency, the property tax agency, this week, actually, and it said that if that bill goes through, my property taxes have dropped to whatever he said, and it's about.
Speaker 13: $ 300 a year.
Speaker 5: So divide that by 12. Is that worth losing all the other stuff?
Speaker 17: I don't think so.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I was saying that use that tax that they collected from the flight, every flight that comes into Florida, rent a car that's rented, hotel that's booked, and wherever the city or the county comes up short with whatever money they collect for property tax, they distribute that to that city.
Speaker 4: Or county to help where the shortfall.
Speaker 10: The police and the fire department and all that stuff is not going away. Please, guys, y'all stop the fear-mongering.
Speaker 4: Stop it, please. Who's fear-mongering, dude?
Speaker 5: Who's doing that? F-A-F-O.
Speaker 4: Yeah, who is doing that? God, dog, man.
Speaker 5: Charles talked about that, right? The what do you mean stage?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I guess.
Speaker 4: I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: I just, I don't know.
Speaker 11: So, one, he said you just put the law, and as Deb mentioned, it's a constitutional amendment, so you have to get it on the ballot.
Speaker 4: And guess what?
Speaker 11: Our legislature also made it harder for citizens to put things down.
Speaker 3: On the ballot, so they would have to do that.
Speaker 11: As for the guy saying use a tourist tax, well, that's individual by county, and there are strict rules on how to use it, which we've been, you know..
Speaker 3: Talking to Scott Maxwell about for eight years.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 11: And beyond about how they won't use it for anything but building more hotels.
Speaker 3: So many armchair experts out there. Nobody reads anything. They call in, well, here's the easy solution. You don't even understand what the hell's going on, dude. We're trying to explain to you. That's why we have these people on the air to try to explain exactly what's going to happen. Like I've told you a thousand times, everybody in these rooms will benefit from their property taxes going away. But everybody in these rooms is knowledgeable enough to understand what that will cost us as communities.
Speaker 4: It's that simple. It's that simple. I do not have a dog in this hunt.
Speaker 3: You just look at the logical information and realize, look, this could be really gnarly for a lot of communities.
Speaker 4: He just said it.
Speaker 3: Like a lot of these smaller communities that rely on property taxes for all of their money will be consumed by other counties, which means your services and the quality of them will drop whether you like it or not. I don't give a damn what you say on the air or what you think. Go read, dog. It's right there.
Speaker 4: Anyway.
Speaker 6: 407-916-1041.
Speaker 3: Text us 77031. I hate taxes as well, but I understand the mechanism of what they are. Here's what else is going to happen, right? So let's say they do pass this, and everybody's like, they're going to tax you elsewhere. The revenue has to come from somewhere. There is no Florida slush fund. You just heard him say it. That was dangled like a carrot when this first thing got rolled out. There's just going to be some giant billion, multi-billion dollar slush fund that if some city fell short, they could just ask the state nicely and the state will look at it and go, oh yeah, we agree. You should deserve this money. Where's that money coming from, buddy? You just heard the guy who does this every day of his life. Talks to cities around the state.
Speaker 4: 400 plus.
Speaker 3: There is no money. There is no slush fund. The state isn't producing this out of thin air, dude. The money has to come from somewhere. But then it also gives Tallahassee the discretion.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 11: They get to decide whether they want to give you the money, whether they think your cause is worthy.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Or are you politically aligned with them?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: By the way, where do you think that gentleman was from who called earlier?
Speaker 4: Tallahassee. No, no.
Speaker 3: The text that just came out. The talk that just came out. He had an accident, right?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 16: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What if the community center that supports those people in your community is now shut down? Because that's what's going to happen. They're coming to that first. All those community centers that you love that support the community, whether it be for reading, whether it be for learning, whether it be for support, for assistance, that's gone. And that is not fear-mongering. That's math. It's big difference. I'm not– it's math. It's just simple math.
Speaker 11: So if you live in an apartment, and many people do because they're building more and more apartments because people can't afford homes. If you live in an apartment and you see services dwindle, you're just losing services without any of the benefits of the tax break.
Speaker 5: Actually, it's– The renters– Renters, it's going to hit even harder.
Speaker 9: So people who have small businesses– who rent apartments, manufactured homes are the also next one on the list because they're going to see services reduced, but they're not going to get any of the benefits because they own their manufactured home, but they lease the land on which it sits on.
Speaker 5: So there's whole groups of.
Speaker 9: People in this state that are not going to benefit at all, but they're going to see a lot of their quality of life actually be reduced. And it's going to be very difficult with it being a constitutional amendment to actually get it reversed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like Jack said, and look, another thing that's very, very important, right, if whatever political party is running Tallahassee at the time, right, if this goes through, right, let's say it's Republicans, Democrats, whomever, you can bet your ass that your initiative that you want money for in your city, if it doesn't align with Good luck. Good luck. You got no shot. And we've seen that everywhere. We've seen partisan things like that happen across the board, whether it be Democrats or Republicans.
Speaker 5: Well, look at what happened with the Fringe Festival. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean, because the Fringe Festival and the governor was unhappy with some of the performances that very next year, arts grants across the state were cut. For things that had nothing to do with what happened in Orange County.
Speaker 3: And then they selectively gave some back.
Speaker 9: There you go. And if they liked it or didn't like it, you got your grant money.
Speaker 3: Sent 10 state troopers down to the Pulse area the other day to keep them from painting the crosswalk again. An army of state troopers to keep people from chalking a crosswalk.
Speaker 5: That they had already approved.
Speaker 3: So you're getting braces, huh? Yeah, right across my eyes. That way I can't read anymore. That'd be the best thing that ever happened to me. All right, 407-916-1041, text 77031. I've been wanting to tell Deb this story because we have– look, I'm not reveling. Let me get your music ready. I'm not reveling in this.
Speaker 4: Stop it.
Speaker 3: It's not even close to that. I'm not reveling in this, but Debra and I have a fascination with Final Destination kind of things.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And, again, we don't want any harm to commit to anybody, but these are things that have happened. But we use it for our entertainment. I'm not wishing this on anybody, but we have this thing. And I have one of the ones– I've never heard of anything like this. Did you hear the story out of Minnesota, the tree trimmer?
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 3: So this Minnesota tree trimmer was charged in a co-worker's death, all right, because here's what was happening. the tree trimmer guy was running the crane with the grapple right it's got the grapple thing it's got the saw in it you guys have seen this on online right it grabs the tree wax it turns it sideways and cuts it up an amazing machine by the way considering how heavy those trees are. And it's pulling trees down like that and just handling as if it's a pencil. No big deal at all. But do you remember that? Do you remember that bit on Saturday Night Live? And I can't remember what era it was where the guy was going, I'm going to crush your head.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to crush your head. It was far, far away, but it made his head look small, and he would take his fingers, and he would pinch the head. It was from Boys in the Hall. Was it Boys in the Hall?
Speaker 11: It was Boys in the Hall used to do it, and in the distance, and you put it so your head, like I'm looking at your head between my fingers, and I'm clutching your head.
Speaker 3: I clutch, clutch, clutch your head.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, apparently, the crane operator was going to pull this joke because the worker that was on the ground said, was working and the sun was casting a shadow or something like that, right? And he thought he was doing it to the shadow, but I guess in the light that he was in, he couldn't tell, and he actually did it to the guy. And he took the grapple and did the, I'm going to pinch your head thing, but he actually did it on the dude. He said he and the victim were blanking around and saw that the sunlight was casting shadows of both the grapple and the victim on the street. While looking at the shadows, he allegedly maneuvered the grapple so that its shadow appeared to grab Lynch's shadow. However, he didn't realize, but the grapple itself was grabbing him. He thought it was the shadow of the grapple, but it was not the shadow at all. It was the actual grapple.
Speaker 4: Bruh.
Speaker 3: He gets charged with secondary murder.
Speaker 4: By the way, or manslaughter. Aye, aye, aye.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's gonna..
Speaker 9: That's right up there with the South Carolina story from last week.
Speaker 3: Which was that one?
Speaker 9: A man on his first day on the job as a sanitation worker.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Riding the back of the sanitation truck.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 9: When he falls off, first day on the job, hits his head, dies a few hours later.
Speaker 5: His father was driving.
Speaker 18: Oh.
Speaker 4: The garbage truck.
Speaker 5: It's just.
Speaker 4: Crazy.
Speaker 5: And again, it was just a workplace joke.
Speaker 9: There was nothing even, oh, and now this guy's going to face second degree murder and have to go to court for this.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Kids in the hall. It was kids in the hall.
Speaker 9: I thought somebody did What'd You Do That's New and had assigned kids in the hall, and I remember seeing that in it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I was a gigantic fan.
Speaker 5: It must have been you that did it.
Speaker 3: One of those guys, actually two or three of those dudes had pretty massive careers.
Speaker 4: David Foley. David Foley went on to be on news radio. It was news radio? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Mark McKinney went on to be on SNL.
Speaker 5: I thought it was foreign.
Speaker 3: Was it Mark McKinney who went to SNL? One of those guys wound up on Saturday Night Live for two seasons.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not sure. I have to look that up. It's Canadian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's another.
Speaker 5: Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: A guy named Kevin McDonald, I believe, that did some stuff as well, but it was Canadian for sure. Yeah, you know, Canada, our enemy now.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: You mean Lake America?
Speaker 3: Our foe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: No more Lake Ontario.
Speaker 4: Yeah, brutal.
Speaker 3: By the way, super funny stuff. If you haven't seen that, one of the greatest sketches of all time. is a Kids in the Halls sketch where it was like middle school kids, and it turned out one of them was burdened with a gigantic.
Speaker 17: That.
Speaker 15: Nose?
Speaker 3: Not nose. But the thing that made it so funny is they made it like a documentary, like they were following him around, and they had to pixelate it out everywhere, so he'd be on the swing, and he'd be swinging, and the thing would hit the dude in the face.
Speaker 4: Ha ha!
Speaker 3: It was amazing, like one of the most amazing things. Yeah, super funny show. If you haven't checked that out, you can probably YouTube episodes of that. Yeah, a lot of those dudes, those guys went on to have good careers, though, writers and such.
Speaker 5: A lot of good Canadian comedy troops.
Speaker 3: SCTV was brilliant. I mean, how much television and how much entertainment did SCTV give us? Catherine O'Hara.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: John Candy. Eugene Levy. Rick Moranis.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 3: Um, and every one of those guys has been in blockbuster movies in Hollywood or block. I mean, the levies are still met. The levy son now is still a player. I mean, there's such players Catherine O'Hare until she died was a player. She was, she had still working, still killing it. All right.
Speaker 7: 407-916-1041.
Speaker 3: Text us at 77031. Our buddy Scott Brown up next with it's only money.
Speaker 2: Hey, JCS crew.
Speaker 8: What's going on?
Speaker 6: How you doing?
Speaker 8: This is Ray Molo. A pretty sad day. Um, She was more than just an American icon. She was a global icon.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 8: And I heard at the beginning of the show about if there's anybody of her statute that is beloved. The other person I can think of, you guys mentioned Bruce Springsteen. I was thinking about Stevie Wonder as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: And Dylan as well. So a great artist, a great musician, great songwriter.
Speaker 4: She's amazing. What up, guys?
Speaker 5: Sport from Duval.
Speaker 4: Duval.
Speaker 6: Jim.
Speaker 14: Yes.
Speaker 4: I know you love this show.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 4: Your name's on the damn show, Jim.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 17: So I know you love it.
Speaker 4: And if you do love it, you've got to get metal braces, dude. Imagine the joy.
Speaker 9: And laughter Jack will bring to the show every single day.
Speaker 4: Knowing you have braces when you get there.
Speaker 3: At the cost of my misery, sir.
Speaker 4: Do it for the show, man.
Speaker 2: Do it for us.
Speaker 15: All right.
Speaker 4: Get the braces. I'm not doing it. I don't know yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, I had a weird dentist appointment today. Well, yeah, what's going on? Yeah, well, I got some crowding in my bottom teeth, and I wanted to straighten that out. And they're like, dude, it's two things. It's braces or Invisalign.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yep, your face says it all, buddy. All right, 407-916-1041. Text us, 77031.
Speaker 4: I'm Jim.
Speaker 3: There's Deb.
Speaker 6: Hello.
Speaker 3: Jack is here as well.
Speaker 8: Yo.
Speaker 3: Let's do It's Only Money.
Speaker 6: Helping people passionate about planning for their future rise above investment myths to build real wealth.
Speaker 5: Isn't that really just common sense financial advice?
Speaker 4: It's both. Oh, okay.
Speaker 6: It's Only Money with Scott Brown from Edgewater Family Wealth.
Speaker 3: Good night, Scott Brown!
Speaker 18: Yeah!
Speaker 3: Just like the– how's it going, buddy?
Speaker 4: It's going.
Speaker 6: It's going.
Speaker 4: So braces. Yeah, yeah, braces. I had braces for like– it felt like 10 years when I was in middle school. Oh, really? And it was.
Speaker 3: Probably two, right? They were huge.
Speaker 4: That's correct. They were huge. I mean, back then they had the big– they pushed them onto your face terribly. Oh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I don't know if you've noticed this, but I am not in middle school.
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 18: No.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not, Scott. I just graduated from middle school just the other day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. Well, I remember distinctly eating corn on the cob and what a fiasco that was. You know, and I was a kid, so I didn't. I pay attention. I walk around with corn coming out of my face.
Speaker 3: Oh, the ladies.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's how I get all the chicks. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Scott Brown joins us from Edgewater Family Wealth at edgewaterfamilywealth.com. In town almost 40 years as a fiduciary, making sure that your money lasts as long as you do, maybe even a little bit longer, making sure your portfolio is earning the way it's supposed to, and just giving good, solid advice on your finances as you get a little older in life, how you can save money, how you can make that compound, and how you can take that money and make sure you have a good life after you stop working.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the idea is not– I thought about this coming over here. I brought something with me on the habits of millionaires. And I really– I almost kind of hate saying that these days because people take it so literally and they get so caught up in, well, I have to have a million dollars or I have to have two million dollars. And I can tell you that I have several clients that I've had for 30 or 40 years living– on their social security, maybe they have maybe one other small source of income, and $ 300, 000 or $ 400, 000. And they make it work. They're not going on a world cruise every year, but they're not doing nothing either. They play their round or two of golf every week. They have their poker night or whatever it is. They take the RV up to northern Georgia, wherever their place is. And so one of the things I try to get across in this show is everybody– I mean, I guess it's cliche to say everybody's situation is different, but everybody's situation is different. It is. I'm thinking of a client off the top of my head. She's about my age, so she's 62. She just turned 62, actually. And she works locally, and she makes probably about $ 70, 000, $ 75, 000 a year. She's got about $ 400, 000, $ 450, 000 saved. With her Social Security and the income that that $ 450, 000 throws off, she's literally going to make the same income plus a little bit when she retires. And you think, well, that's not a million dollars. No, is it?
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 4: The point I want to make is that I think people get down on themselves. They kind of give up or they get frustrated or they hear, I need a million or I need two million, and then they just kind of want to quit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they think it's too late, Scott. That's the thing I hear more than ever. I mean, on this texting service, like, oh, it's too late. I'm already 45 years old. I'm already 30. Oh, stop.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. 45?
Speaker 3: You don't retire until you're like 67, man. You still have 20-plus years of savings. Well, and the other thing to keep in mind is we're kind of living in a different era. You know, back in the industrial age when people wore their bodies out or they were farmers or they were doing some really hard stuff, building cars by hand or whatever it was. Yeah, from 10 years old.
Speaker 4: Yeah, for sure. Their bodies gave out at 50 or 55. It made sense to retire at 65. Most of us are not doing back-breaking work anymore in the outside, which allows us to work longer. You know, I have plenty of clients who... either by choice or somewhat through necessity, might work part-time. They might work. I had lunch with a guy today. He's a former engineer for a surveying company. He works five hours a week, I'm sorry, five to ten hours a month, and he makes $ 15, 000, $ 20, 000, $ 25, 000 a year. That supplements his Social Security performance. plus the savings from his 401k. So the other thing I think people need to get past is that I got to retire at 65. You don't got to retire at 65. In fact, I think that's somewhat outdated since people are living well into their mid-age.
Speaker 3: Sure thing, man. I mean, I think that really that's when you, and I think once you get to that 61, 62-year-old range, when you're like, you know, when you're in that age, you're like, okay, well, I can see it from here. That's when you start kind of thinking about, well, what's the plan I have? Because I think one of the most prolific things or profound things you've said to me since we've been doing this segment together is the idea of retiring from something instead of retiring to something. I was just talking to a gentleman the other day who's a workaholic. Admittedly so. Came out of working for a massive business for years. Now just opened a business that's a franchise, but he's doing very well with it. and we were having dinner, and I was like, what do you guys do for vacations? Where do you go and stuff? And he just kind of blank stared at me. And this guy's in his early 60s, and I'm like, what, dude? He goes, yeah, yeah, I haven't really thought about that. I work all the time. I'm like, man, you got to figure that out because, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, You can actually– and as you age, you get in your 60s or whatever, there's a little bit of a vacuum of workers below that age group. And wherever you're at, if you're a nurse or you're a physician's assistant or you're a paralegal or whatever it is, there's probably opportunity at that company because a lot of times you can subcontract back. Here's an idea. You can subcontract back in your 60s. Companies love that. My mother-in-law does it. They love it because they don't have to pay for benefits.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: So when you get to Medicare age, you go on to Medicare and you say, just give me a 1099 for the 20 grand a year for working a few hours a week. Companies love that.
Speaker 3: My mother-in-law worked for this company for a year. She was a payroll specialist and one of their finance managers. She retired, and they kept her on, and she works like five hours a week. They have access to her a couple hours a day in the mornings when she gets up and has her coffee. She settles any problems they have and logs off. By 9 o'clock, she's not doing anything, keeps her in the game, makes a little bit of extra money, and still doesn't burden her with work down the road.
Speaker 4: Yeah, again, I mean, not to beat a dead horse, but I think there's a lot of dogma surrounding retirement and what it should look like, what it should feel like. But you can, in your early 60s, you can already, you know, if you have enough vacation time trying to figure out what you like to do in your free time. And I'll tell you flat out, doing nothing ain't all it's cracked up to be. Yeah, it's not. I've seen a lot of people retire due to doing, I'm going to sit in the easy chair, Scott, and I'm going to watch television, I'm going to read a book, and I'm going to play some golf.
Speaker 3: Go crazy a week later. Those people go insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Like you just really need, as you said, you need to retire not from something but to something. And the reality is you could kind of do both. You could kind of keep your work life active, keep your brain active. And that's another thing we have. I can tell you based on what I do that dementia is a real thing. And I'm sure keeping your brain active is something most people are going to want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, 100%. Let's get to it today. First thing you say is dementia. Debt with an exclamation point. Yeah, we got some of that, don't we, in this country? Yeah, we have about $ 40 trillion of it. You know what's hilarious to me? Is it $ 2 billion a month.
Speaker 4: In interest or something like that? It's over a trillion a year, so whatever that equates out to be. It's now $ 0. 14 on every tax dollar collected goes to pay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Not the debt, but the interest on the debt. Only behind defense and Social Security, it's the third largest item on the balance sheet. But what's funny to me is this last week after we went over $ 40 trillion, I noticed everybody suddenly aware of the debt. Like $ 38, $ 37, it's not a round number.
Speaker 11: It's the same thing with gas. At $ 399, you're like, three. It goes to $ 401, you're like, oh, my God.
Speaker 5: The same thing with the Powerball. I'm not going to play. It's only $ 100 million.
Speaker 3: Who can get by on that?
Speaker 4: But it's so funny to me how these round numbers get people's attention. Every senator, every congressperson is like, oh, my God, 40. Where were you at 37?
Speaker 3: You were adding to it.
Speaker 4: 37, too. You were voting on legislation that drove it up. Yeah, I mean, come on. I just find that so bizarre. It's baffling, and it's so human. It's so human nature to attach yourself to a number like that. But yeah, right now, I laugh because I think I remember the days when we used to laugh at Greece and France and all these countries in Europe that were up to their eyeballs.
Speaker 3: Insolvent almost.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: And boy, did we feel high and mighty back then. Yeah, we ain't feeling so because we are literally one peg behind Greece. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, for sure. We're at 125% of our gross domestic product, which, P.S., dropped 20%.
Speaker 3: Two quarters in a row. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: So not only do we have high interest rates on the treasuries and we have this over a trillion dollars in debt to service, but we also have a GDP that's starting to move backwards a little bit. So these things are not wonderful. So next time you vote, you might want to ask, hey, man or lady, where are you on this debt issue?
Speaker 3: This might be a good question to ask. uh, habits of the wealthy. I know that, uh, you kind of hit on that a second ago, but you know, um, I, do you think the word wealthy is a word that's been like kind of demonized, uh, with people like they automatically think that wealthy people, uh, just, you know, have gotten it through greed or inheritance, or they, they believe that there's a mentality there. And you've said this a hundred thousand times, and I will tell you straight up every person I know that has any wealth of note, you could never tell. I mean, you could never look at what they drive. You could never look at what they live. You could never look at their watch. You could never look at what they wear. And guess ever that these people even have $ 20, much less $ 3 or $ 4 million. That's why they got it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Why can't people get past that misconception of that and just kind of understand that wealth is just like putting it in first gear, letting the clutch off, and then not touching the bulldozer for the rest of your life and being consistent? Why is that such a hard idea for people to get? It took me a while to understand that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, and most young people struggle with that. They want instant gratification. They want to be rock stars. I know I did, or athletes, or whatever it is. And that seems glamorous and fun, and especially in this day and age with social media getting into people's heads. But yeah, slow and steady does. I know it's old and tired and nobody wants to hear it, but slow and steady does win the race. And the term rich is the term I always think about. It's not liking because it just conjures up images of the Monopoly guy or something. I don't think that's fair. I think people who spend money carelessly, drive Ferraris and do a bunch of stuff like that, and you see it on TikTok or whatever it is, I consider those people rich. The people I consider wealthy are the people that are first-gen money. They failed a few times. In fact, if you look at studies show that any millionaire has failed at least once or twice in a business endeavor.
Speaker 3: And they persevere. Perseverance is the critical term. And learning from those mistakes. Yeah, don't repeat them.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you keep doing the same thing over and over again, I believe they consider that insanity. So the reality is perseverance to me, when I look at all the, and I do business with a lot of millionaires, they're clients of mine, and I can tell you to a person, you wouldn't know it when they drove up. You wouldn't be able to tell. I think the most driven car, this is dating back to the millionaire next door days, but back in the day, it was a Ford Taurus or an F-150.
Speaker 3: Wasn't the number one car for millionaires?
Speaker 8: Number one cars.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And not one of those, the average cost of a watch for a millionaire, and again, this is going back a few years, was nobody had paid over $ 300 for a watch. Right, right, right.
Speaker 18: Right?
Speaker 3: And most of them lived in the same home.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: For 20 or 30 years. Famously with Warren Buffett. Yes, Warren Buffett being the classic example. I think Warren's still driving the Lincoln Continental. He got in like 82. Exactly. Not that he's driving anywhere at 90-something, I hope. But yeah, I mean, these are all habits. I actually took down a few. Most of them are frugal. The studies show that they're frugal. Most of them had mentors. And this is something I've said on the show a lot of times is, The opportunity to learn has never been greater in this country. You can go on LinkedIn or any– by the way, follow me on LinkedIn. You can go on LinkedIn and you can hear from Mark Cuban. You can hear from Richard Branson. You can hear from Elon Musk if that's your guy. Scott Galloway, guys like that? Scott Galloway. They're all telling you how to do– there's so much information available. I tell the young guys in my office, now, you know– You know what I know 30 years before I knew it.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: You're so far ahead of the curve. You have so much information available to you. I have a nephew who's just graduating from college. And, I mean, I'm sending him Carnegie's book. I'm sending him Jim Ferris' books. I'm sending him. There's so much great information, and it's really on you if you're not taking the time to find it out.
Speaker 3: Did you read Tools of Titans?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 3: That's what I sent him. Yeah, yeah. That's the one?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, Tools of Titans is almost like a reference book.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 4: You have anything from Schwarzenegger to Mark Cuban to Richard Branson. Celebrity athletes have told you, Kobe Bryant, those kinds of people.
Speaker 3: And the reason I love that book, and I've only read part of it, but the reason I love the book is this. It's different perspectives with the same goal. It's a business person. It's an athlete. It's someone from a different country who came here and didn't have anything. And those unique perspectives show you that regardless of your beginnings or your surroundings, these things really do apply across the board. I thought that was its greatest value to me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, even like somebody like Arnold Schwarzenegger, if you see what he went through to become … who he is, I mean, he was told countless times, you can't speak English, nobody understands you, you're just a muscle guy, this will never work. Well, turns out it did work because he refused to take no for an answer. This is what I've been trying to tell my nephew. Mark Wahlberg. Mark Wahlberg, another classic example. I try to tell my nephew, listen, dude, People are going to tell you you can't do it. And the reason they're going to tell you that is because they know they can't do it or they don't feel like they can do it. You just have to ignore those people. And like I said, to me, what a wonderful time. I know we have other issues in this country, but aside from that. This time is like there's so much great information if you know where to look for it.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you something else, Scott. The whole you can't do that thing, I learned this early in my career here as well. Those people don't want you to succeed.
Speaker 4: They don't.
Speaker 3: They don't want you to do anything better or bigger than them. That's why they tell you that. Some of the times they may believe it, but most of the time I have found that those are the people that do not want you to succeed the most because it will reflect on what they didn't do in their life. That's why they keep saying it. You'll leave them behind. Yes, 100%.
Speaker 4: It's crabs in a bucket, and people don't– I think people just– it's easier for them to drag you down than to pull themselves down. 100%, yeah, Jack.
Speaker 3: I have a text question for you, Scott.
Speaker 11: It says, other than your book, what one book would you recommend to give your son or daughter in their 30s for financial benefit?
Speaker 4: Good question. I think Carnegie's book, When Friends and Influence People, is probably the greatest book that's ever been written on human interaction, whether it be in business or otherwise. So if you had to pick one from a personal development standpoint, I think that's a great book. Millionaire Next Door is a wonderful book. Even Morgan Housel's new book, The Psychology of Money, is a really good money book as well. And they're all very common sense. you know, do this, then do that kind of books. It's not complex.
Speaker 3: And the millionaire next door kind of breaks down the whole idea of what you think people are as opposed to what they actually are.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It gives you all the data.
Speaker 4: Again, people would be shocked to know that, you know, there are millionaires living in your neighborhood that you don't even know. They got a 2,700 square foot house that's block. It looks like an old Florida house. And the guy keeps his lawn really nice. That's the guy. I mean, they're right there in your neighborhood.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The richest guy, one of the richest guys I've ever met in my life drove a Ford Ranger just like mine. He was a cardiologist, heart specialist, Shands. Actually, he's the guy who worked on Reagan. When Reagan had his heart attack, he happened to be the uncle of a good friend of mine from my hometown. We went over there to his place in Gainesville. He was out in the garden and we pulled around and said, when do I get to meet this big important uncle? He was the guy doing the gardening. He was the guy out there knee-deep in the plants. He'd much rather do that than anything else he was doing.
Speaker 4: Well, the other thing you'll learn is being wealthy or successful, however you define that, you want to be a little anonymous with that because people will look to take advantage of you as you make progress through life. So kind of keeping your mouth shut and moving forward is a good plan.
Speaker 3: 100%. I know we have an event coming up here in Lake Mary soon.
Speaker 4: We do. It's on September the 26th. It's at noon at the Rooskris in Lake Mary. We do have room, although we are filling up quickly. It is everything 401k. So whether it's fees, whether it's fund selection, whether it's how to use a Roth inside your 401k, if it's understanding your statement and how to do financial planning while using a 401k. This is the event for you. We're literally going to cover every one of those topics in how to maximize your 401k. Again, September 26th, you can go to edgewaterfamilywealth.com, hit the pull down, and sign up for the Lake Mary event.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just reserve your seat. There's no money involved, and not only will you get the information, no hard sell, no nothing like that. This is not like a cruise where you have to sit through some pitch to get it. It's not like that at all. You'll also get a wonderful meal, and the restaurant's great.
Speaker 4: Well, and as I think I said last week, we get paid to do this event for companies. What you're going to see on Saturday, the 26th, is what we get paid to go in and teach employees at companies throughout Central Florida. So this is a free opportunity to do it, and if you're good, we'll give you a steak or a piece of chicken.
Speaker 3: And Jack went to the one last year for the 401k special, and he said it was amazing.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you learn so much, and it's something that I'm putting money in my 401k, but it's great to get knowledge of, okay, And then what happens?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right. Yeah, sure. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Find out what happens next.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, Scott, always good seeing you as always. Again, that's edgewaterfamilywealth.com. Go to those pull-down bars, pull that thing down, make yourself a reservation, get yourself a seat. That's September 26th right there at the Lake Mary Ruth's Chris. That kicks off around 12 o'clock.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: And you better get your seat. We look forward to seeing you. That'll go quick. You heard it here first?
Speaker 9: Yeah, property insurance is trending downward in Florida. An Orange County fire chief faces a prostitution charge and new details emerge in the arrest of the 49ers owner.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about that next during You Heard It Here First.
Speaker 3: I gotta get me one of these hookers. Everybody's doing it. Only the rich got the billionaires, buddy.
Speaker 4: Is that what it is? That's it.
Speaker 3: That fire chief is like a billy?
Speaker 4: Oh, okay, man. All right.
Speaker 3: Back in a sec with Debs News. We'll get the hell out of here on a Tuesday.
Speaker 1: It's time for a Talkback Purge on the Jim Colbert Show.
Speaker 4: Hey, how's it ohana? I was a career bartender.
Speaker 19: CJ's gave me my start, trained me how to 10 bar, and boy did it take off from there. It was nothing to fling an extra 50 or 100 for good service.
Speaker 4: And that's how we rolled back in the day.
Speaker 19: But I think this tip included idea really rewards the slackers, and it doesn't reward that exceptional waiter. that knows his stuff, provides that extra level of service, and I just don't think it's a good idea.
Speaker 4: Aloha. Aloha, brother. Aloha.
Speaker 18: Jim James, I want to respectfully raise a beer, hence why I didn't crack it, and this is a somber tone from me, because we lost one of the greatest performers ever, And let's face it, one of the most famous chests.
Speaker 5: We raise a beer to Dolly Parton.
Speaker 2: Oh, just thought of this. With Dolly Parton passing away being so well known, are we about to see the start of another big three?
Speaker 1: Or did someone else pass away who we're not noticing?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good question.
Speaker 5: Mitch McConnell.
Speaker 4: Oof. Easy. Hello, hello, hello.
Speaker 12: Jim, Jack, Deborah.
Speaker 4: Hey, Jack, I owe you an apology.
Speaker 12: This is Paul from Ormond. I called in meaning a compliment. When you picked up the phone, I said, Hey, Jack, you're the hardest man in radio. I meant hardest working in radio. Don't flip me off your list.
Speaker 3: I've talked to people. Either way, he's not wrong. He's just a blue chew away, sir. That's your purge. All right.
Speaker 4: Thanks, buddy.
Speaker 8: 407-916-1041.
Speaker 3: Text us 77031. I'm Jim Debjack and Scott Brown here. Scott, by the way, I know that you have two books that people can download for free on your website.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can go to edgewaterfamilywealth.com, download I Never Made Anybody Rich by Scott Brown, and or you can download I Got a Guy, which is a guide to using a financial advisor. So if you're a little Worried about what to say, what to ask, that is the guide for you. Yeah, also in.
Speaker 3: The September 26 gig in Lake Mary, Roost, Chris, we just had somebody who's a listener, a long-time deputy. Scott said, if we have 401k information that we have for ourselves, should we bring that with us as cross-brand? In other words, if people do come out, should they bring the information they have or make a few notes about what they have to ask questions like that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they could bring it as a reference. Don't share it with your neighbors, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't do that.
Speaker 4: Don't feed it into AI. or anything. But yeah, we're happy to have you bring it along. And if you have a direct question, say, line four on paragraph five, what does that mean? We'll happily answer those questions.
Speaker 3: And you guys actually, in the context of this, don't you kind of do that almost? Like take somebody through the steps while you're.
Speaker 4: Doing the seminar?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, we actually give you a hypothetical 401k and show you how to use it. And we can be very specific about funds and how to select them and Ross and all those sort of things. So yeah.
Speaker 3: We actually walk you through as if you were our 401k participant. And then just another question for me, because I find this interesting. So when you have a 401k now, let's say it's a Fidelity 401k, which most of them are, right?
Speaker 4: A lot of them, sure.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: So they have selections they make from them, right? That money is invested and it's from them. When you decide to retire, is that a situation where you go into the 401k and then you kind of, you figure out what funds are the best post-retirement or does it always stay the same?
Speaker 4: Generally, it does not. I would say somewhere around 70% or 80% of folks roll their money out of their existing 401k into their own IRA. And the primary reason for that is they get a wider selection because most 401ks have very limited menus to choose from. So people want a little more selection and planning to go along with it. Yeah, yeah, cool.
Speaker 3: You're going to have a lot of questions like that because, man, it can be very confusing. People are going to ask, if I do this, I do this. And the cool thing is you'll see that simple math. And if you have an idea in your mind when you come to the event of when you want to do this, how much you think you need, the good thing is Scott and those guys can kind of confirm where you are. If you're close, if you're not close, what you need to do to get there, which is awesome. That's 100% correct. Are you on track? Are you not on track? And if you're not on track, why? How do we fix it? That's really what it's all about.
Speaker 11: Got one more listener text in. They said, will there be a recording of the event on September 26th? They will be out of the country and cannot make it.
Speaker 4: Well, there will not be a recording, but we certainly will have more events before the end of the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very cool. All right, let's do Yard of Here first.
Speaker 1: Time for You Heard It Here First on the Jim Colbert Show.
Speaker 9: There may be a silver lining to this year's hurricane season. Former Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater says private insurance companies are no longer fleeing the Sunshine State.
Speaker 16: There are insurance companies coming into the state. of Florida to offer their products and services. And when you know that happens, it drives the ultimate cost down. There are big brand name players that ran from us 15 years ago.
Speaker 3: Hold your horses.
Speaker 9: State data shows Florida property insurance premiums are still 40 to 50 percent higher than the national average.
Speaker 5: Especially along the coast.
Speaker 9: According to the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation, the average annual homeowner premium is approximately $ 3, 815 statewide. An Orange County fire rescue official is under arrest and now suspended following a prostitution sting. Stephen Sherrill has been relieved of his duties. He was taken into custody on a prostitution-related charge by the Altamont Springs Police Department.
Speaker 5: If anyone's going to get you, it's always going to be Altamont.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: Cheryl was hired in 2002 and served as battalion chief before his arrest.
Speaker 3: Did you hear anything about the crime I read today? Remember, we were talking the other day is a Facebook marketplace when the girl says, oh, yeah, I heard that it was a Facebook marketplace meetup for $ 80 for a sexual favor. And I did a hand thing and I shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 3: You didn't need to illustrate there.
Speaker 11: Thanks for telling the larger audience who didn't see it.
Speaker 9: In the meantime, a newly released police report details the weekend arrest of San Francisco 49ers owner Jed York in Ohio. The law enforcement task force says they were contacted three times by York, who used a fake name while arranging an encounter with an undercover agent posing as a prostitute for $ 140.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 9: York was pulled over in a trailer park while searching for the address of the rendezvous. He pleaded no contest Monday to disorderly contact and possession of criminal tools, which police say was the phone used to arrange the meeting. He's also facing discipline under NFL's personal conduct policy. Yeah, the league's owners are meeting tomorrow in Atlanta. They're saying his punishment could be swift.
Speaker 4: Oh, really? You know what I'd say?
Speaker 3: Hey, do to me what you did to Robert Kraft.
Speaker 4: Exactly.
Speaker 3: I'll take that to go. No fries, Diet Coke. Get out of my face with this crap. You guys aren't going to do anything to that guy.
Speaker 4: Get out of here.
Speaker 3: Me embarrassing publicly a little bit. Guess what? He'll be back in the box next week. Who do we have to thank today, Jeff? You're talking to the luxury box at an NFL game, right?
Speaker 5: We want to thank Scott Brown with Edgewater Family Web.
Speaker 2: Yay!
Speaker 4: This was a family show. He's so happy to be here.
Speaker 3: He laughs at the worst jokes, people.
Speaker 9: Just in case you missed his timely financial advice, his podcast has already been posted at the Jim Colbert Show, where we also want to thank Charles Chapman with the Florida League of Cities. His podcast is also there, along with our review of What'd You Do That's New. And last but never least, Sam Bowen, Candice Rich, and Alicia Boulware for running our YouTube chat.
Speaker 20: Thanks, peeps.
Speaker 4: We appreciate it. Jack, question of the day. Best Dolly Parton movie.
Speaker 11: Your choices were 9 to 5, Steel Magnolias, Best Warehouse in Texas, or Rhinestone.
Speaker 3: Steel Magnolias wins with a 33% percentage. 9 to 5.
Speaker 4: Nine to five wins, 49%. Damn, really?
Speaker 11: Steel Magnolias had 23. Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, 24%. I can't believe Rhinestone with Sylvester Stallone only came.
Speaker 4: In at 4%. It's one of the worst movies. Have you ever seen it?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It is terrible.
Speaker 3: Scott, is this part of your day or part of your week the part that you have to explain away to people?
Speaker 4: This show? Yeah, this show.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of explanation that goes with this. A lot of apologies.
Speaker 4: It's really odd.
Speaker 3: It's the rose of your day, I believe. All right, Animal House tomorrow, Debra?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll have Daryl Payne from Pawfection Dog Training.
Speaker 6: Awesome.
Speaker 3: So if you have problems with your dog's behavior, call us tomorrow for some free advice. We'll also have Scott Maxwell. All of that, plus fun stuff to talk about as well. On behalf of Deb, Jack, and Scott, I'm Jim. We follow the News Chucky. They follow the monsters in the morning after us. It's Tom and Dan with The Corporate Time and our friends from Real Laughs. We'll see you tomorrow at 3 for more of The Jim Corporate Show. Until then, have yourself a fantastic Tuesday evening.
Speaker 5: See you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Bye.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: If you missed any part of today's show, check out the Jim Colbert Show On Demand. And for highlighted feature segments, listen to the Jim Colbert Show The Goods. Both are available for free on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: A Corporate Time with Tom and Dan is coming up next on Real Radio 104.1.