Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 2: He's got those show back seven hundred WLW. We'll get into State of the Union stuff. I think he's still talking, so I'll wait for the President to wrap up and then we'll talk about him and what he said. We'll get into that just about thirty minutes here and all morning law and on seven hundred w ALW. I want to start with this though. It's an interesting, interesting topic. We know social media is toxic, right It's getting harder to find the value of connection, and that's what it's about. It's about connecting with friends, and you can go on and check from people from school and high school people, you grow up with coworkers and your circle expands and it's great. But we are also just absolutely swamped in there with bots and trolls and seeming we have taken over the interwebs. Matter of fact, right now, Kentucky lawmakers are working on age verification legislation to protect kids. You saw the big tech companies and the social media people like Mark Zuckerberg and others who have been called in front of Congress, and that's for kids right now. Adults field as well. Here's a case in point so I saw this real post by Tricia Mackie from Fox nineteen and did a very unusual thing this week. She clapped back at the trolls in some of the comments I made. It was just like, you're shaking your head going that this can't be real people, There's got to be bots. It's insane. Tricia Mackie, welcome, How are you gay?
Speaker 3: Thanks good, I'm doing good.
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. Thanks for getting up early. Is this early for you?
Speaker 3: This is early when you go to sleep at three? This is early? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, Well thanks for being a tripper and coming on. I appreciate it. You bad so normally journalists, I mean, traditionally, you guys don't go at viewers. You're taught to simply shrug it off. Is that changing or did you just hit a breaking pointer?
Speaker 3: You know, I've always kind of been like a little bit more outspoken, but still, you know, not rude. It's not like I'm rude. It's just I don't you have to get to that point where you don't really care when somebody continues to try to like put you down. And I think all of us need to get like that. If we listen to all of the negativity every single day, we would never get.
Speaker 4: Out of bed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's just so much. And I am one of those people that I don't want to validate anyone ever by firing back when they say something negative. I think that's honestly the worst thing you can do. You can get in the shouting mass and that could go on forever. Right, you know you're ugly, No, you're ugly, or no, what your mom's ugly?
Speaker 1: Well, your dad?
Speaker 3: You know that whole thing. I mean, you know that kind of thing. But why do it. You're just validating them, You're giving them more power over you. But at some point you just kind of got to tell everybody, Look, I'm not gonna change. You can say whatever you want to say about me. You cannot like me. You can think I'm old, you can think I'm ugly, you cannot like my clothes, you cannot like my hair. Because we hear it all.
Speaker 5: We hear it all.
Speaker 3: I mean, all we do is really read the news, and everybody gives us some kind of a comment about every single aspect of who they are. It doesn't matter. I mean, I'm in.
Speaker 2: Talking talking the other Yeah, let me know what so talking and I can't answer for the males. But I talk to other female journalists or female anchors in town, and they all have the same story you do. You're just the one who addressed it right. Like, let me recall again, dress, your age, you're too old to be wearing a leather you look so unprofessional, and a whole bunch of comments that I can't mention on the radio right now about scrotums and things. It's crazy and all. But all the other anchors in town the same thing. You're just like the first one to say you clap back at him, and I thought the way you handled it was awesome. You're just like, I don't really care.
Speaker 6: Yeah I don't.
Speaker 3: That's the other thing, Like I don't care. I've heard everything, And the thing is, here's the other thing.
Speaker 4: This guy.
Speaker 3: I get a lot of compliments. I get a lot of people that are on my side. If you read the comments, there's a lot more like pro people than there are haters. Hairs are just loud and every now and then you just got to like be right back at I'm like, look, you don't affect that.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, do you think it's getting worse since COVID in particular.
Speaker 3: I think it's gotten worse is everybody gets on social media for hours and hours a day. They just feel more emboldened. They just say whatever they want, don't you think, So what do they say to you? Do they say anything? Or you're or a guy and you're more protected than being I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 2: I don't pay attention, I don't engage. I just and I know you're not. You're supposed to because it's part of your tip. Social media socially, like it's a cesspool in my opinion, like the people I want to stay in contact with I do, and I should be better at it right. So I'm like, I'm kind of like the salmon swimming upstream here, Like I don't see there's value in it for sure, But at the same time, it's like, do you want to immerse yourself in that too? I know people who are on it twenty four to seven basically because they feel like it's part of my job and you never get to turn it off. I like, I don't think that's how you should live your life.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 3: I like getting on there. I like seeing what's going on. I like I think it could be used for powerful things and good things like all of the dogs that I try to get like adopted in better helmps.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: I love checking in to see how people are doing. I love the positive stuff, I really do. I think there's good positive stuff, but there's a lot of negativity on there. I don't like putting my kids out there anymore. I'll tell you that. You know, I really change from putting my kids out there to putting my dogs out there because people are a lot less likely to badmouth the dogs and much more likely to badmouth my kids.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm a dog guy too, but admittedly attrician. All the work you do to try and save these dugs, some of those dogs are they're just terrible dogs, right, I mean, you can't defend all the dust. Some dogs are real a.
Speaker 3: Holes, just like people.
Speaker 2: You're trying. I'm like, come on, this dog clearly is a jerk. It's you know, he's chewing stuff up, like he doesn't deserve a home. You should just like live in a kid. You should be in car sal terrible trying to save all the dogs. Dogs.
Speaker 3: Hey man, it's just like a kid. You gotta like give them a little bit of love. And advice.
Speaker 2: Some dogs are just too ugly to be exactly.
Speaker 3: We only talk about the cute ones. That's like my that's my thing. You bring on an ugly dog, it's.
Speaker 2: An ugly dog. It sounds like you're kind of dipping your TUTORTIONI mack into the into the Savannah Guthrie thing, is that part of this? Does this play into your you going off against the haters and trolls online? Is like you saw Hanna Savannah and she may never return to the Today Show because she feels and you could see this, she feels like she has a hand in what happened to her mom, which is crazy, but I think that's how she feels.
Speaker 3: I think that she does feel that, and you know that really doesn't have anything to do with what I did, just kind of like just saying, you know, enough is enough. I really don't care. You can keep it coming. I don't care, but I do feel that for her. I don't know what happened there. We don't know, right, did it play it part of it? Who she is?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, did they want that much money? I don't know. I mean I think it's scary and I think it's unbelievable that even yesterday she puts out like a million dollars in what she gets to hate, Like, you know, why do it take so long? You have more than that that kind of stuff, But are you going to listen to that? That's kind of like what are you going to listen to that? Or are you just gonna like stand firm and who you are? You know?
Speaker 2: But Tricia as Tricia Mackey by the way, on the show, is as a female journalist, don't you feel like you have to continue to put yourself out there, not only when you're on the air, but off the air as well, And so that opens your whole life up because you're always trying to create content. That's the and I see where she where Savannah Guthrie's upset is, you know, I made a semi star out of my mom and maybe that did have a hand because we should inside of her house and she thinks that that's how they got the intel to be able to go get her mom and got Now it doesn't seem like she's with us anymore at this point. Sadly, you hate to admit it, but that's a reality when you're eighty four years old and you've been gone for over three weeks. She's taking that as she is the one who did this. I firmly believe that. And so does that make you rethink your social media policy? She said, you know, you don't post pictures of your kids anymore. It's more about the dogs and the like. I think we all kind of have that awareness.
Speaker 3: Now, what's funny because I stopped posting about my kids every now and then, I do, but my one of my kids got a lot of backlash. I mean a lot where you know, he's playing basketball and we were there were several games, high school games, and we were escorted out of the gym by police because there were so much heat, because there was so much hate. And absolutely one hundred percent had to do with who I was, absolutely hundred percent, because you just don't like start like trolling a kid on the court for no reason and have to be escorted out by police. I mean, definitely plays a role in the hate that comes with that job. And you know, and I can imagine I felt guilty about that, and so I'm like, what am I doing. I'm not putting my kids out there. They can put themselves out there. I'll stick to other things, And there's no doubt in my mind she has to feel terrible about that, right, wouldn't you?
Speaker 1: I would? Would you?
Speaker 3: How many years have you been on TV or on radio in and out there?
Speaker 2: Well most of my life since I was eighteen years old. So you know we're talking here at LW as a matter of fact, just yesterday, twenty five years here at seven under WW.
Speaker 3: That's a ton that's an And think about, like and think about how it changed from twenty five years ago. There's no phone, no internet. I mean to find out information about you, it took a minute, right, I mean I had to like really like do some research you could. I couldn't pick up a encyclopedia and find out about you, right right, I mean I had to like do a lot of research, talk to a lot of people. And now I can find out anything about you, know, I just I mean even before we went on, I found all these pictures of you and your wife's birthday, I know everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because it's out there and AI is going to compress that, It's going to compress it even more.
Speaker 3: Oh I am not a fan. I mean I think it's just used in so many horrible ways. I mean I think it's it's great the technology is going, but you can't even tell it's real anymore.
Speaker 2: Tricia Mackie, are you too old to be wearing leather?
Speaker 1: Never?
Speaker 3: You are never too old to wear leather?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 2: Another anchor I talked to said the same. It's like it's the people, the trolls out there have something against female TV anchors wearing leather. I don't know what there is.
Speaker 8: Why?
Speaker 2: Why is leather like such a polarizing topic. I mean, it's very nice fabric.
Speaker 3: When someone says dressed your age, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: What's it?
Speaker 3: Do I wear burlap? I mean, I'm fifty seven?
Speaker 1: What what?
Speaker 3: What is my age like? Can I Can I not wear cloth at this point? Do you not wear cotton after forty? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know, show up in a burka. I'm not sure what people want at this but like, dress your age. But I think it's because the people who are doing that are miserable with their own lives and projecting on you, going wow, I could have done what she does, and she's famous and very successful and gets all these accolades, and I hate my life. And that's that's that projection, right, just because the person trolling you is they look like the bottom of a shoe that you know they're going to project that on you. That's how it is.
Speaker 3: I think one of the things is, and if someone says something negative ABOUTE, you'd like run to their page and you want to see the face look like and what they're wearing, and you want to fire something back that you can't don't do it. Don't engage just like you know, I just don't care. You can't run your life like that. Yeah, I mean, why do we kick? It's like when someone says, don't wear leather? Do you think I should like engage with them and try to be their friends. I don't want to be their friends. They can have their opinions. That's fine. I have mine and we can go our separate ways.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, the ultimate middle finger to those people in the next like tonight show up dressed as catwoman. I've got that off and on that rese catwoman? What is keeping the cow industry in business?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And I think you know you asked me earlier about guys and stuff. I think there's certainly a double standard here. I mean, do you know what does Rob get does? Uh? I mean Mike, Mike Schall, who I worked for three years when I was in the night here at seven hundred w W Mike Shall one of your part. He looks like he woke up in a cardboard box and nobody's going at him.
Speaker 3: He wears a hunter's hat every day on the air, and a hard time is me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, everyone's breaking You're breaking your balls and they won't go after him. I don't get it.
Speaker 3: The funny thing is like Rob and I will have this conversation and Robin come, I promise you if if Rob wore leather tonight, people would be championing at him, right they Nobody would have a problem. But it's just the way that it is between men and women.
Speaker 2: I guess. But you you know, And I think it's the format too with the Fox. You know, associately, a Fox News will like to you dress. I guess maybe I don't want to say a little more forward than most anchors on TV. You know, you're not a pantsuit kind of girl.
Speaker 3: I'm and I'm not really like a dress. I mean I wear onevery now and then, or a suit. I just I don't think you have to do that. I really don't I think that I've been on TV what thirty almost thirty four years right now, and I think people know me. And it's not really like do I have to put on a dress for I really? I mean like we're just gonna we're gonna talk about the news, right, And I feel like people know me. Either like me or you don't. I don't like that you don't like me, or you have like a campaign against me. But at this point you probably have your mind made up, you know, don't you agree with that? I mean, like you're the same boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And if you if you care about that stuff, then you're never going to get a good night's sleep, right, Or you're trying to please everybody and you just have to. And I think a lot of people get everybody in this business and our TV what everybody self esteem issues. That's why you're in it, and so you know a lot of those people take that crap to heart. You just it's a turning point. Either you accept and go like I can't change your opinion, I'll just tune you out, or if you care a lot and try to change what you're doing, you're gonna be a mess.
Speaker 3: You genuinely can't care. At some point you can get your feeling shirt anymore, or you will never get out of bed. You would never be on TV if you if you have thin skin, you just you can't do the job. You cannot do the job because it doesn't matter if you're talking about, you know, a quadruple murder last night, you will still get emails and comments that people think your eyebrows are too dark?
Speaker 1: Right, what's the worst thing?
Speaker 2: Somebody said it? Like literally, like wow, that that's stung.
Speaker 4: That hurt? What is it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: You name it?
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: I mean, what's the worst.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean everything. I mean everything. I mean my hair is too short, it's too blonde, it's too dark, it's too long, my eyebrows, my ears, my nose, my lipstick, clothing, you know, height, weight, old, you know everything. However, I mean, I really want to point out there's just there's so many more positive people. There really are people. People stop me all the time and they're great. You know, there are there are negative people. But but they don't run. They don't run me. They'll never ruin my life. They you know, they just don't. But I will tell you this. You know, when you make a social media post. I hate the feeling when you go to bed and you think that's struck a nerve and you're always having that feeling like you're waiting for the other shoe to drop. I hate that feeling. It hurts my stomach. I hate that, so I try not to make those posts. And even when I make a post about something that was going on, can say like the downtown brawl, I will get these comments and threats and all I'm doing is my job. All I'm doing is telling you about the news, and that hurts my heart. I hate that. I would much rather be told I'm ugly or I'm old, other than getting like a death threat for doing the news.
Speaker 2: You understand I'm saying, yeah, yeah, But you know, I mean, you work really hard at staying in shape and being invited, and it's like you don't get credit for that. People are jealous of that. Well you you know what, you busting your ass. They're not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I am. I mean I sleep like four or five hours because I have to make time to get in the gym every day. I eat well, take care of myself, and you get hate for it. But you know, I get a lot of love too. I have to keep thinking about that. I mean, look at you. I mean, I'm on your show today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, does is it any worse than that? If you know, if this, if the criticism then't sucked before now being on my show, for God's sake, It's just it's not how you this now you just start the back half of the weak woman.
Speaker 3: This as long as coming him doesn't call me.
Speaker 2: Today, well that creep. I think Willie's he's had vacation, I think all months. So I think you're I think you're.
Speaker 3: Broadcast broadcast in Florida now the good Life.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, the thing is when people don't know about this. He actually died in nineteen ninety two, and this is ai. It's just where were running and using his voice and likeness, and even though we say, you know, it's guaranteed human, you know Willie is, it's it's unwraun Yeah, I think Willy's coming back actually a couple of weeks here, so Breg, you know what you like us. We spent a lot of time doing this, and he's been a little business, you know, a lot longer than we have. You amass a lot of vacation days you needed to to get you know, to to check out. Absolutely deserves it. Tricia Mackie, of course, anchored Fox nineteen. I guess pulling the curtain back here and saying, listen, I'm going to clap back at people who are trolling me about dressing my age. And you're too old to being wearing a leather and you look unprofessionally. Your hair's too short, your hair's too long, your outfits are terrible. It's just, you know, you think social media is bad for kids and people, it's far worse for someone like Tricia. And I said, yeah, I think there is a double standard when it comes to mat or maybe men just don't don't care about this stuff. But I think you're the only one who's actually said, you know what, I'm going to address this issue in a reel. It's on Facebook and our social feeds, so check that out. It was kind of yeah, it was good, but it was great though. I thought, Wow, it's about time somebody said this. Yeah, especially since in the contextas of Annah Guthry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Scott, you think about like everybody that does everything for a living, I mean, you know, a CEO, a clerk, I mean anything in between, right at any job. Yeah, are they constantly all day long being told and scrutinized about what they look like, what they wear, or or how they do their job? I mean, by the mass and bite thousands of people they're not. It's a hard job to do it. I mean, it's putting up with with the hate comments. You know, it gets to a point where you have to just either quit your job and move away or you have to just face it.
Speaker 2: Well, look at these poor people. That the guy who owns that furniture store I remember because it's the guy in Tennessee or whatever put some comments up and they docked him. But then they thought it was a guy in Kentucky locally. It's like, what, we're in the same name store. It's not. We have nothing to do with this, and this guy is his life is completely upend and he didn't do anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nuts, man.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, It is crazy, all right, Tricia mackew Fox nineteen. Later on today, I appreciate you get up early in chatting with me, and good for you. Good you know what, good for you you show him? Uch Man, good job, good job.
Speaker 3: I'm I might clap back at you today later.
Speaker 2: Oh man, she now I gave her too much ammunition here or is the thing? But you know what I would I wouldn't care there you go, it rolls up there like whatever. It's like, okay, fine, hey, all the best friends.
Speaker 3: I think we all felt like that it'd be a better place.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks for joining the show. I appreciate you, all right, take care they go Tricia Mackie on the show on Fox nineteen and yeah, it's not just kids, and we're trying to create these laws like in Kentucky age verification. That's all common sense stuff. But adults are I think, can be far worse than kids sometimes for real. Scott's Sloan Show will talk about the state of the Union and what happened last night that I think some people are getting wrong because we live in a state where everything is polarized. Rather that's a state of mind these days. We'll talk about that coming up next afternoons on seven hundred WW this is scott'slone show, seven hundred w alwit just that's kind of I think it was a good conversation Tricia Mackie. Something that's just went viral here in Cincinnati, and I was looking at her numbers and man, it just really took off, and you know, just the social media. The problem we all have with social media. It's great is you can stay connected with folks and learn stuff and see new ideas or have your beliefs validated wherever it might be. We know the algorithm does that. But you know the idea that there are people out there, and I don't know how many these are bots or trolled, but yeah, people trolling other folks like I just I you just picture something us sitting there in their pajamas, who's not really happy with their life, just taking shots of folks because you can get away with it and you don't know who they are. So I'm good for her for taking a stand for sure. Anyway, other stuff going on. I know, if you know this, there's a State of the Union address last night, and I believe the President is just wrapping up wrapping up with Scott Its minutes ago. That was long. I couldn't make it through the whole thing. I know about you. I went back and watched like the last twenty thirty minutes of it this morning, just because I know it's going to wind up talking about it too. But I think the highlight of the whole thing was an actual moment of unity, which is really really rare that the Democrats stood up and applauded. So, you know, something weird was going on. Where twenty twenty five US men's hockey team members were at the State of the Union last night. I like it was at the beginning of it. I thought that was great. There are five players who missed it, and of course the question as well, they're making a political statement. No, they simply chose to get back to practice. The NHL season resumes today as a matter of fact, and so there's very little time. Each member of the US men's hockey team essentially has to get approval from their home club to to have gone to the State of the Union and say, hey, you know, we need you back here. We're in a Stanley Cup chase. We've got twenty five games left roughly, and we're going to make a push. And so the five players that did are in that fight right now, and including you know, I thought it was cool that Connor Hellibuk was there from Winnipeg, so that's a bit of a trip for him. But you know, taking that victory lap and how many more times you're gonna be able to or how is it going to ever happen again in your life where you get to do what they did last night. I thought that was really cool. I know that like everything in politics and especially in life today, everything is polarizing. You're on either one side or the other. And some of the comments about the US men's hockey team being there last night of the State and the State of the Union that somehow they they you know, the feel on this the take and it's not just one person, it's a lot of people feel like, well, you know, they align themselves with Trump and you know, they laughed as this misogenic joke and they're partying with Kesh Patel and the State of the Union and they turned their gold medal triumph into partisan politics and today's climate, you know, you are now have a hand in the Trump regime and all this. You've got to read the room and you should be above this. Sole thing is shut the hell up, you know, and he's be able to do this, in my opinion, are doing exactly what they're criticizing the idea that the team, the US hockey team politicized the moment. But anyone who says this, you're politicizing the moment the team won a gold medal. It's full stop. Yeah, taking a call from a president in a locker room is not a political association or political act. I mean, since teams have been professional champions are not even professional college team championship teams have visited the White House, they if accepted congratulations from presidents across party lines for decades. I don't know why are we because they won the gold medal holding them to wait some sort of weird standard out because they're so polarized. That's not their fault. I mean, you're born into the times, right, you don't get to choose what eras you live in. And they won a gold medal and had every right and should have gone there. You know, the the the political calculator, like somehow the athletes are doing the political calculus on this is insane. You've got to be more savvy. You've got to be savvy about your the opstacle. That why you're asking them to be political when clearly they're not a sign and you're you know, you're assigning this responsibility to the wrong party. It's not in the US hockey team. And the fact of the matter is, if we can't be happy for a few days about winning two gold medals in hockey without becoming some sort of culture war flash point. I I you know, now we're going to manage how we celebrate winning a gold medal. I mean, and I don't think did we really lose unity over this because I didn't feel that last night. I think maybe, deep down inside, what you're really mad about is the fact that Trump gets the benefit from that association. And that may be a legitimate political concern, but that's what politicians do. They exploit on the hypoinds, and Trump did a masterful job of that. I think last night. Regards to what you think over all of the speech, which you'll get into a little bit later on, I don't think that should at all be going through the heads of these athletes, like, well, what about the political association that they're living in the moment. They're probably still drunk, quite honestly, with the gold medal. They got on a plane, they spent all night partying in Miami and then were flown up in military aircraft to Washington for the State of the Union. So these guys are probably they're still hammered. I know hockey players pretty well. I bet a lot of the guys are still they're still up, they're still hammered, having a great time. And I know the US women's team couldn't make it. And everyone said, oh, they're making a political statement. Yeah, well no, they said, listen, we have academic obligations. We also have professor wants too, because we play hockey, and you know, we ramp right back up. So and I'm sure there are members of each team and maybe one of the you know, a few of the five or one of the five that the men didn't show up, or the women that didn't want to do that because they're not a fan. But I'll tell you what, I don't care who the president was. It was Trump, it was Biden, it was Obama, it was Clinton, it was Bush, it was Ray. If if I had an opportunity and I were invited to the State of the Union, regardless of who is the president, I would go in a second, wouldn't you. I sure as hell would. And it's not about the office holder. It's about the office. It's about the It's about this moment in time. I mean, you get a chance to go to the invited and recognize that the State of the Union address. I don't care who the president is. I would do that one hundred times out of one hundred for that experience. And I think if he said no, well I would only do it. I wouldn't do that for that. That says more about you than the whole Thing's that's pretty cool. It would be pretty cool to go to a State of the year, right, That would definitely check a lot of boxes. Let alone be recognized and Trump and his theatrics, which was I mean a lot of this stuff's theatrical, you know, recognizing individual success stories and aligning himself with that and recognizing people throughout the state of the Union. I think in the future it used to just be, oh, we've got this person here, this person, but you know, he's awarding medals and purple hearts and all these wonderful accolades, and it's kind of like there's a little theater and then Trump's really really good at that. But overall, and we'll get into this a little bit more later in the show. This might actually at the ten o six Kevin Burton's upholster. And the question though, is did Trump sell his message last night? Now? Personally? You know, he covered a lot of ground covered a lot of things, and is all the presidents before him have to took some liberties with the truth, with the facts. All presidents do that to some degree, and that's part of the state of the union. It's more like an infomercial for the past year in the year head an in for martial that it is. But I thought in this time now and if you may, if you don't believe the poll numbers, then that doesn't apply to you. But if you look at the polling, go it's got some I've got a lot of problems here. I kind of look at it going and this is just part of who he is. I think we've talked about that lack of empathy and things. You know, he's trying really really hard to just convince the American people that this is the greatest thing ever, that we are winning, winning all the time. And you know, the reality is you see it for yourself. It's in your own reality. If you go to a store and go, wow, everything's really expensive, you know again, you're you're it's your pocketbook, it's your personal ecosystem of your economy, and that that little world we each individually have as opposed to the economy a whole and Wall Street I don't care about that. How do you feel You got money in your bank account, you got money to spend? Are you cutting corners? Are you doing Are you better off today than you were a year or two or four years ago. That's always been the age old question when it comes to the state of union in politics, how do you feel about the economy? That's a number one issue for America's number one issue economy. Now, if we're under attack of a war, different story. But for most of my life, almost every single state of the unit, it's been about the economy and our own personal finances. And I think the thing is, and he wouldn't do this, but you know, if you would listen, it's like, Okay, all these great things you did that don't get the attention they should because they're overshadowed by well, you may say, you know, the media buyas and things, but also I mean Trump throws a lot out there, and when he does and says us audacious things, it tends to overshadow the accomplishments. In that regard, I think you can agree a lot of times he could be his own worst enemy because the noise overshadows the accomplishments. And so last night I was like, you know, tell me, hey, listen, we know it sucks right now, but we're starting to see the light. We're starting to make these changes, and here's what's going to happen on the next year's and you know, give me here's some mile posts to look at in the upcoming year. This is our plan. This is what we're doing. And it's hard. Right now, we're hopefully we're getting out of the We're getting out of that fog. We're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think I would rather hear that than we're winning. Everything is great. It's the greatest economy ever. This is the greatest thing. It's great. It's great. It's great. For a lot of Americans, it's not. And I also think too, the people that I know that are like absolutely one hundred percent down with it have enough money to not notice the price of I don't know, beef is up a couple bucks right or I had someone on yesterday the cost of a new car for the first time in history, the awful lot price for average car price average now it's average is over fifty thousand dollars. I mean, a few years ago, like, wow, the average price was it like thirty grand and now it's fifty. If you have money, if you have means, you don't feel it as much obviously someone who doesn't, and so you tend to be a little insulated from them. That's the truth. And of course if you're way down to the lower end too, it's like I'll never get out of this hole. I feel that especially. That's true for younger people as well. But I think last night I've preferred the president to have that, to try to have that take. It's like, tell, okay, just admit, hey, listen there. I know you're still feeling the pain, but that's a lagging indicator. Okay, here's the progress we're seeing with tariffs or whatever. Sell me on the next six, nine or twelve week months ahead, and I'm like, okay, I see, okay, it's starting to turn, right, Is it starting to turn? Rather than just no, it's the greatest thing ever, because I don't think people you know, some people do, but there are a lot of people don't believe that. I don't think that helps the cause. But that's my take. I got pollsters come out, we'll talk Iran that was the big thing that was kind of buried late and talking to some experts about Iran as a matter of fact, and we'll have an eleven oh six Mark and Silaco for the University of Dayton, who's a Middle Eastern terrorism and Middle East expert. As we ramp up forces in the Middle East in the next twenty four to forty eight seventy two hours, we'll have a better picture. Trump said last night, we preferred diplomacy, but not afraid to bring the stick, and we saw what happened in Venezuela. Will the President launch and authorize attacks on Iran? And what the hell does that mean exactly? Because you know, the concern over them having intercontinental ballistic missiles or striking our assets in the Middle East is very real, But I'm more worried about a terror attack because that's a much lower barred across. It's easier to commit an active terror than it is to attack assets in the Middle East or launch a missile for that matter, which they probably don't have. So that's coming up a little bit later on as well on seven hundred w do But hey, real quick, let me get to a bill on the show here. Want to check on the state of union real quick. Bill, it's up.
Speaker 5: Ah, thank you sir for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Thanks for calling.
Speaker 5: And the thing I'm a people watch. I love watching that audience, their response and everything that Trump has.
Speaker 6: Put up positive.
Speaker 5: The Democrats they're sitting there on their hands like they want to go back to where it was miserable. I mean, I was astound to watch this. Them'm sitting there they want to go back when we're all happy and wanting to go forward. Can you please can you help me out?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 5: Bill?
Speaker 4: Bill?
Speaker 2: Is this the first Is this the first date of the Union you've watched? Because all the ones I watch usually that's the case. If there's a if Biden's in office, the Republicans sit on their hands.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: If it's a Republican in charge. The Democrats that are that that's the game, because you know, just the act of them applauding along is like, well, wait a minute, that we're acknowledging they're doing a good job, and that could be you know, that threatens their existence when it's Democrats, and that's you know, that's part of what I did. I did notice. I will say that Elizabeth Warren did applaud when they were talking about some of the you know, some of the policy issues in favor of which is kind of refreshing. But behind it, you know, I saw a lot of people and sitting on their hands when the when the Olympic team was out there, For God's sake, how could he not applaud for the American athletes? For God's sake, that's terrible.
Speaker 5: I want to say one one thing too, and what you just said that with who's ever and all the other one's going to sit on their hand? Okay, I give you that. That's that's but when it comes to a time when you have to put your things aside and do what's right for the agenda of the future of America, there's a difference. There's things going so.
Speaker 1: Well that they won't even.
Speaker 5: Announce what look Trump is doing well. They won't even get off their spine and say, yeah, he's doing some good things. Where were we We had the chance to do all this and we did nothing.
Speaker 2: Well, the border wud be the big one there right.
Speaker 5: Yes, exactly exactly.
Speaker 7: And the drugs and the drugs and the drugs.
Speaker 5: You know, when they had their they had their perfect upportunity to turn it all around Trump saying he give me the chance, I will do it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 5: Now they're still doing the same thing. They want to go back to all these delagrants coming back in here, Democrats. You want to come back to everybody doing drugs or sitting all y'all want to go back to all that negative when we're looking at the future.
Speaker 2: Well, I would say this, I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure that people are still doing drugs. I don't know, if you know. The fentanyl crossing the border is one thing, but again there's if there's so much fentanyl cross a crossing the border, there's enough for well with, but there's enough to kill everybody at this point. So I don't I don't think it's it's our taste for drugs that fuels that, right. I mean, you can crack down a fentanyl like, but again, there's consumer demand for that here in the United States. I don't know how you address that without poisoning the whole country. But you know, look at the cartel wars. The whole reason the cartels exist because of us.
Speaker 5: It's very simple, it's very simple. Cracked down, no gray area, take these people out, take them out, no matter what it takes. Take them out have with all this political correctness stuff. Always should treat them like no, let's be as brought evil, not evil, the goodness over what these people are doing to our country. And the Democrats sitting there want to go back to a world of that world. They're even the Democrats, sir. Even I heard on the thing, Democrats would say, okay, enough enough, even the Democrats is turning on Democrats.
Speaker 6: That's a good thing for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I would say I would say this though that you know, there's divisits in the Republican party obviously, but I think even more so with the Democrats. But they give the drug argument, Yeah, can we you know, open borders is a problem. Are you're going to have you know, the cartels are still getting stuff in the country because yeah, as a day, and Democrats maybe want to look the other way. Republicans are tougher on crime, for sure, then Democrats are in that regard. Not everybody's a victim. But I'll say it's it's our thirst for drugs. It drives this whole thing. And you can talk about your Democrats and Republicans, but at the end of the day, it's your neighbor. It's your cowork or someone going. You know, they like using drugs. And it's not just you know, just people of who are poor or on the street. I mean, it's in the penthouses as well as the slums. And it's it's our demand for drugs and illegal drugs that are driving this thing. And it always has been, always will and that's why you know, we can attack them below, but they're going to replace by another car. Teil member. I mean, you look at the map of Mexico. It's it's not troubling. It's sickening how much the cart controls that country, But most of it has to do with us. If the demand goes away, there's no need for them. How do you fix that problem? Scott's Loan Home of the Red seven hundred WWT Cincinnati, Scott's Slumshell. This is seven hundred w go out every course. The big story State of Union last night. Trump covered a lot in his record one hundred and eight minute State of the Union address last night. We had gold medalists, we had military heroes, we had these emotional moments to argue his first year back in the White House has been a triumph. So two thirds of people who watched that last night. All are in part it resonated with them, seemed to be acted positively about a little more than the third said it was fantastic. At the same time, this had odds with other polls prior to the State of the Union that show him underwater, like six and ten voters disapprove of how the President is handling things. So it's not about them, it's about you. How much of the State of the Union messaging are you buying? It's a simple question. Joining the show this morning to discuss and how this hit is our buddy Kevin Burton, Kevin of course with Crosstown Consulting, Political Strategus and pollster.
Speaker 1: Kevin, welcome, thanks for having me, Scott.
Speaker 2: All right, so we all know, so if you've seen a State of the Union, you've seen one. You've seen them all usually and it's a lot of theater, it's a lot of pomp and circumstance. It's also a lot of infomercial But this one, because of that, you know, two thirds of people said, yeah, it was a pretty good message, it was awesome, and then you look at the polling numbers and if you believe these things, but that's the only yardstick we have to measure this at this point other than when we go to the polls is six and ten Americans think well, we're heading the wrong direction. He's not doing a good job. So I look at this, The question was, in your opinion as a polster and someone who's at political analyst, did he hit on the points he needed to hit on last night?
Speaker 9: So what he did really well was he wanted to just keep making sure And the one thing that Trump is so good at and DEM's have never been able to figure this out.
Speaker 1: Is he the master of kind of I don't.
Speaker 9: Want to say manipulation, but just controlling the narrative. So he did a really good job in that. But at the end of the day, you know, it's a dog and pony show. It is, say the Union, I don't care who it is, yep. So I think it's gonna be more temporary that you know, people are gonna say, oh yeah, this looks good. Affordability we heard that a lot last night. Affordability is going to continuing to be the number one issue. The one thing that Trump's doing is very similar to what Biden did is keep reiterating the stock market in four oh one case, but there's a lot of Americans who don't have that. So affordability is going to be the number one issue from now till November.
Speaker 2: But he kind of dismissed that during the speech. He touched on it briefly about that. You know, he doesn't believe it's true. It's a it's a it's a fabricated word, that affordability. No one's talking about affordability. Affordability. The way I kind of frame that is, it depends where you are. If you're someone who has means, if you have money because of your hard work, your effort, or for whatever reason. You know, the price of beef going up, for example, that's thing we all identify with, like it doesn't affect you as much as it could be two dollars a pound and could be ten dollars upon okay, so what But of course then there's a working folk too, where you know, they're they're pinching pennies, cutting coupons and trying to save and maybe forgoing that as well. Just it depends on who's receiving the message exactly. It's just like gas prices.
Speaker 9: For some people, it's like okay, so instead of you know, going out to dinner tonight, you know, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Ruby's you go to outback.
Speaker 9: But remember the folks who propelled him to this victory were people who it was all about the economy, especially in those rough belt states. So you're seeing that their poll numbers are showing that there is a concern of economic disapproval up until last night. So now you got to see do they carry this momentum for the next you know, six months or was this a flash in the pan. Like I said, Trump, the one thing Trump does better than probably any politician ever is controlling the narrative. It was a performance. It was the ultimate reality show last night, and he just and the problem is Trump is just Trump. There's no one else besides him.
Speaker 1: Who can do that.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: So, you know, the state of the Union is a long ways away, so it was gonna be interesting to see. You know.
Speaker 9: I think one of the high moments, if we want to talk about that, was when he talked about the insider trading, and even Democrats clapped, and it was a good clap back about Nancy Pelosi. I think we can all agree that we don't want our congress people insider trading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had some good shots, and you expect. I mean, most State of the unions are kind of boring by design. It's more about the pomp than what's actually happening. More you know, more fluffing. But you know, you're kind of waiting for Trump zingers to come out, and he came out with a few good ones. I thought the Nancy Pelosi thing was fantastic myself, but you know, it's an economy versus kitchen table isshes we talked about, and I think, you know, you look at the poll numbers to suggest that he's underwater, but two thirds of people watch this and thirty six that people watch it for that matter, thought it was the greatest speech ever. Two thirds said, yeah, it was. It was pretty positive. Does that actually translate though, to turning his numbers around in the long.
Speaker 9: Term, Well, but sir, the thirty six percent is his approval rating is roughly, you know, give or take about thirty eight forty percent.
Speaker 1: So that's right in line.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: The one thing that Trump said that he knew better than anyone. I guess it's twelve years ago, is he knew his supporters when he said I could shoot someone on Fifth Avenue, and that was like he knows his base one hundred percent. The other forty percent are Democrats. No matter what he does, it's they're not going to support him. So at the end of the day, it's all about those independence foods on the middle and that's and you know, it's that ten to fifteen percent in every election that sways the pendulum, you know, and that's who both sides are going to be targeting. You know, there was one interesting thing that I saw about the economy is that one third blames Trump, one third lanes didn't, and one third doesn't trust either.
Speaker 1: I think that's a pretty good representation.
Speaker 2: Of American right. That's about right. It's so just so fractious, and it's evenly divided, and that's why that's why it feels the way it does today. I think too presents often do this. You know, somebody will go in fact check and I'll look at some of the fact checks, and there are multiple claims in the speech that you know, gas prices, job numbers, drug numbers, tariffs, the economy of the tariffs, and in your experience of the fact checks, move numbers or uh, does it resonate with with people that that that's factually an accurate.
Speaker 9: No, I mean every every president in our lifetime has promised the moon, you know, or going to Mahers in the State of the Union. In reality, it's a you know, it's a flash in the pan and then the.
Speaker 1: Numbers come back down.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I mean people kind of get you know, the State of the Union is what you want to happen.
Speaker 2: But there's also the of breadlock and watching them and with the fact midterms are fast approaching, and we know how midterms are for the incumbent. It's not good. And you know another thing that Trump's does better than anybody else is the stagecraft. Right, So yeah, the hockey team, you had the Venezuelan political prisoner reunion, handing out medals of honor, right, metal monor guys, and we're giving we're decorating soldiers and first responders. And he's always been a master of the made for TV moment. Does that translate? How much of that translates to compensate for those pulling numbers? And did it land with audiences outside the chamber? I think it did.
Speaker 9: I mean that's why he's president. You know, it literally looked like a Netflix made for documentary, like a you know, a show about as say, of a union. The one thing that Trump understands better than anyone is marketing. He gets how to craft the message and craft the appearance because I mean, he was on TV for thirty years. In reality he was the first real reality TV star America had, and so he understands optics better than anyone. Now, the question is, it's a long ways away the election, and you're not going to have another really chance like this to get as many viewers on so that they have, you know, seven eight months to kind of craft their message, which you know they're going with the economies high the four oh one ks are good. But it all goes back to it's kind of like when you're doing a primary vote. If people's lives are good, generally speaking, they don't turn out for primaries. It's the people who are the most effective and who are passionate who will get out and vote. So like, if you work at fidelity in life's good and I don't, if you know you're middle of the road on either side, you're probably not going to vote in the primary. But if you know you're worried about milk prices, you're going to get out and vote because it's really affecting you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or tax implications like that they're going to crack a Democrat's going to destroy them with tech, You're going to get out of the vote. It's going to motivate you. In that context though, Kevin, midterm framing. This is from the midterm elections coming up. As I mentioned in your read of last night, was the primary target audience swing voters who might be persuadable. Was it the Republican base and he's energizing or Democrats that Trump's he wants to put on the defensive because I don't think you can do all of that. You can do maybe two of them, but probably one of those, which one. I think it's all about his base. You know, we saw last November. When he is not on the ballot, it's not the same.
Speaker 9: And Trump in his base, he can connect to that like no one else can. You know, for Republicans, it's simply just turning out their voters, because if they turre out their voters at the bare minimum, you know, it's probably.
Speaker 1: Very close to what it is right now.
Speaker 9: You know, at three three feet difference in the House on either side, and then maybe a one or two different seats in the Senate if they can really turn out their base.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. He is Kevin Burton, Crosstown Consulting in Kentucky, Northern Kentucky political strategy and pollster breaking down the state of the Union last night and what all this means put in context, if it moves the needle, and you know, there's a stand up moment where Trump and and keep in mind too, you know, immigration is Trump's well, was Trump's strongest suit. He's kind of slipped on that, but he asked legislators to stand if they believe in the government's first duties to protect citizens, not illegal aliens. And the Democrats who stayed seated, quite a few of them became an instant Republican ad was that was a trap that was strategically set. It wasn't really organic. How effective is that move?
Speaker 9: And i'd sear you good to setting traps because you know, was that last year where you know, it was all very very heated State of the Union. He just knows how to set traps for the Democrats. And you know, this has been twelve years, twelve you know, twelve years Democrats have not been able to figure him out that they just can't that. There's no way of him. You know, they just can't understand them. It's almost like trying to defend Lebron James.
Speaker 1: You can game plan for it, but when you get punched in the mouth, they they are queasy. They don't know. Yeah, they don't know what they're doing right exactly.
Speaker 9: And you know the thing about Trump though, is is that his highs are super high, but his lows are super low. So if you're the Democrats, you're just waiting this out. Let's say he won last night. You got nine months, eight months to the general election, and you know you're really counting on those ten to fifteen percent of the people who really feel the affordability crisis.
Speaker 1: And that's what I think both sides are going to be talking about the economy.
Speaker 2: It doesn't help or hurt him when he says, well, it's it's fabricated the affordability crisis. There is no such thing. Basically, that's kind of you in a nutshell what he said. The people buy. That depends if he can turn out. It depends if he can turn out as base.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, they their.
Speaker 9: Team crafted the perfect political strategy of basically, if we get eighty ninety percent of our people. It doesn't matter what the Democrats do. That's how they've won two presidential elections.
Speaker 1: So they're banking on that.
Speaker 2: And the parties are so far apart ideology from an ideological standpoint that you know, you look at Okay, well, even if you go, well, I don't think the tru it's the tariffs, it's not working, and then there's an affordable crisis. But then you turn towards the Democrats and I look at people like Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders and AOC and go, well, their ideas are going to be far worse. I guess I got to stick with this guy.
Speaker 9: Is that the reality, And that's the thing where you know they have Democrats have not been able to find a method to stick on Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: They just haven't in a lot of ways.
Speaker 9: It's similar to when Obama was in office, Republicans couldn't figure out a message to get him to lose an election. And that's why they're both presidents. They understand the whims of the general public. So you know, for the Democrats, they've been trying for years to try to craft the perfect message against Donald Trump. But the problem is he spent thirty He sent his whole adult life in front of the camera. So he understands entertainment, He understands narrative. He understands how to craft a message. And it's something that you know, a DC consultant can't craft when you're when a camera is in front of you.
Speaker 1: You have to be able to spend it. In a lot of politicians camp.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of hackling. We saw l Green with his sign. He got pulled. Clay shouted most corrupt President, and he responded by saying, these people are crazy, which I'm laugh out loud. Does that out does that dry to outrage helped Trump or heard him? Is there a version where the party they didn't learn from last the mistakes they did last time because that kind of backfired on them last time.
Speaker 9: Yes, and though I mean, you know it's so far away, but it did backfire.
Speaker 1: On him last time.
Speaker 9: But you know, we got nine months. I would I wouldn't read too much into that. You know, it's all gonna come down to the economy and the terriffs.
Speaker 2: On the teriff thing. The Supreme Court struck that down just a few days before the speech. Last night, he called it an unfortunate ruling. He said, we're going to keep it going through alternative means, and experts are saying, yeah, you're probably not gonna be able to do that either. Those will also be struck out as illegal. To someone who's watching at home worried about the price is that land or did it look like he was kind of back on the seals a little bit scrambling, because yeah, I guess the way to look at it is you look at the president, you look at the Supreme Court. Hu too, Americans strusts more.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 9: And his disapproval of the surme Court was very measured. It wasn't like him when he was lashing out on the Democrats. So I don't know if you noticed that, but it was a very measured and uh soft.
Speaker 1: Criticism of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was a lot stronger true social than he was last night.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, you know.
Speaker 9: And that's also just the changing of politics where Democrats has been really slow to understand. Trolling is a part of social media and Trump does it better than anyone. And there's been a lot of times where he trolls, but when push comes to shove, he'll he'll come back to a more reasonable approach, and he's a great rage baier against Democrats. They just don't they just don't know how to combat that. And the only person who kind of did any good was Joe Biden when he was still mentally you know, one.
Speaker 1: Hundred percent right. But that was a flash in the pans.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He It was funny watching the predictable responsible because because even Hickeen Jeffrey said listen, shut the hell up, and clearly there are a number of Democrats that didn't heed his advice. And here we go again. Overall, the takeaway from this, the bottom line is what heading into the midterms here with the president's address last night, it was.
Speaker 9: A good night for the president based off of what you know, the polls show right now, but let's check back in two three weeks. You know, the Hakeem Jeffreys point or Johnson, they have the most, they have the worst jobs in DC. They're trying to corral two hundred and fifteen plus politicians who are all are trying.
Speaker 1: To make a name for themselves. So I do not envy either of those two guys.
Speaker 2: I guess my My takeaway from the whole thing last night was it's what I expected from the president, from Donald Trump, and he was he was in you know, Trump vinted Trump form as always. But I guess i'd rather hear him go, hey, listen, you know, admitting that. And he never does this, but he'd admit, like, it's been a rough first year. Okay, we get that, I understand, But but here's the light at the end of the tunnel. Here's what's happening behind the scenes. Here's what you're not seeing yet because all this pains lagging indicator. We are making progress. The worm is starting rather than going. It's the greatest economy ever. Everyone's excited with the hottest country in the world. I don't know if that lands with a lot of people. Quite honestly, I'd rather be told, hey, look, here's the pain part and pretty soon we're gonna have more game that I can live with.
Speaker 1: I don't disagree, but it's not his brand.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 9: You know, Trump has never apologized for anything, So if he started doing that, does that.
Speaker 1: Make him look weak to his voters? Does that make hits?
Speaker 9: Because is that a shift in authenticity for him? So I get why he wouldn't say, you know, hey, the last year's been rough, but Trump's the outlier of all presidents. Probably a lot of other presidents would say that he didn't. And we'll see, you know, because because what you were saying about the messaging points of the Democrats not standing, they can use all those cuts.
Speaker 1: Of the greatest economy in the world. So overall, I think it's pretty much a wash.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 9: If you're a Democrat, you have a lot of things that you can say I disagreed with. If you're a Republican, there's a lot of things that you can say, he's doing great. At the end of the day, it always comes down to the independence the day really right and I.
Speaker 2: Go look at it, going, okay, what's the takeaway here? But again, time will tell if these policies are going to work out. It's not good for tariffs right now. But at some point are we going to start to see the fruits of this? And you hope it sooner rather than later, especially with Mittterm's come up joining the show this morning on the Big One Scott Sland Show. Kevin Burton, Pollster, a norther the kentucky've Cross Town consultant, thanks again for the time. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me slim.
Speaker 2: All right, you got a buddy. We got news update here in just minutes. Julie balk joins the show coming up and a very interesting story that she's going to get into here next on the show. And some of a topic we talked about last week as a matter of fact, with Coca Cola and discript dominating against men. And it's an interesting, interesting case that affects all of us who work for a living. We'll get into that just ahead here on seven hundred WWN helping you navigate the rocky path the fulfilling employee.
Speaker 1: Here's our career sub Julie.
Speaker 2: Balki, all right, this is from the Careful what you wish for a department, And this outcome of this could reshape how every company in America, small or large, structures its programming relative to diversity going forward. Trump talked about this last night in the State of the Union, but I mean it still exists out there. So here's an interesting case for you. Coca Cola and a outfit called Coca Cola Beverages Northeast has been sued by the EOC for sex discrimination. The government is alleging that the company excluded mail employees from a networking event for women, which would violate the Civil Rights Act. In nineteen sixty four, what they did was they hosted a women's form event. Two hundred and fifty female associates went, included network opportunities, discussions on navigating a male dominated industry, work life balance, and all those mom fields kind of things. And the lawsuit alleges the company denied mail employees the same compensation terms, conditions, privileges of employment offered and provided to female employees. That is, that is the straightforward civil rights violation. And you look at it going, well, did men have the same opportunity to get that kind of enlightenment, hotel rooms, paid time, all that stuff. And the answer is no. That is a clear cut violation the Civil Rights Act. So we know that DEI is on the ropes in this country. This is a whole different thing that's going to apply to your business now, and Julie is on to talk about it this morning. How are you?
Speaker 6: I'm fine?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: I am fine? What do you make of this ruling?
Speaker 6: So here's the here's the it makes sense. Okay, here's the demarcation. A company sponsored event, Yes, is very just from twenty five women in the claims department going away for a weekend paying it for it themselves. And so the what the EOC is saying is company resources cannot be spent in a discriminatory manner. And so what I have seen it's interesting because what I have seen companies do is they will do things like, let's say there's I'm working with this one company.
Speaker 1: They're women's group.
Speaker 6: They generally have a lot of women. You know, they used to be women only events. They've covered a lot of topics that women have to deal with at work that most that you know, most people the men don't. And so what they started doing was they just started to change the wording. It was still an event. It was still focus on Maybe it's let's take an example, maybe it's focused on how to manage your work life your personal life when you're working full time.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's say that's the topic.
Speaker 6: I think it's easy to assume that that topic is going to appeal primarily to women, but it doesn't mean that there aren't men out there who deal with the same things. Maybe you have a wife or a partner with a very high powered job and you're both dealing with it and So the idea is you want to you want to open that content up to anybody who wants to attend, to anybody who that content is relevant for. Yes, Now will the majority of those people.
Speaker 2: Show up, mostly women?
Speaker 6: Yes, But that's that's the difference. And that's what most companies are doing, is they're saying, Okay, we still want to provide this content, but we're going to provide it. We're going to open it up to everyone. Because not all topics are for everyone, nor shouldn't they be, but we're going to give people who might normally not have been on the invite list. We're going to give them a chance opportunity to come to and personally, you know, that's a really good thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the tangible benefits are. And that's what the government's eoc's argument is is the company paid for you know, two hundred and fifty women, but the company paid for lodging, they paid for meals, they paid for other benefits for the attendees. They paid them their salaries, and they excuse them for their regular work duties. So that's not an after work you know, let's just have beers session. It's a compensated professional development tool. Is what this is, and that to me is the big distinction. This is not just a social let's get together and have cocktails after work thing, which like, okay, everybody does that. It's the fact that these women were at the seminar and exclusive to women only, that men weren't a part of. And I guess the wit to counter that would be have well, then do a men's kind of form or something like that. But then you're splitting hairs and we got to do one for that and disabled people in different affected minority groups, and you could just go on, you know, get LBGGQ and the next thing you know, you're spending millions of dollars on seminar. It's just to make it fair.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think you could say, okay, so let's take the opposite. Let's say there's a company golf outing. I think probably mostly if it's company sponsored golf outing or something that maybe the company the fundraiser and company sponsoring it, it probably would be disproportionately men. But they aren't saying women can't come. And so that's the difference. And what's so interesting about this to me is that we've entered this time in our world where our workforce is made up of so many people of different genders, races, backgrounds, you know, different challenges they may have, and it's it's it's not a one size fits all world. And so what I'm seeing as a response to this, which I actually think is a very healthy response, is it's not about DEEI. It's about belonging. And so if I'm twenty five, if I'm a twenty five year old white male, that I have let's say I'm on the spectrum, I have burgers or adhd or and so I need I need to feel like I belong let's and so I need maybe some special you know, maybe some some some special content or training or something. I think that the problem with the previous way of looking at it, with the assumption that if you're a white male, you encounter no problems at work, right, and all this right, and that that can't possibly be true. Now, while it's sure, while we're sure that women often face things that men don't, younger people face things that older people don't. People who are LGBTQ may face things that work that other people don't. I think to divide that by gender is really asking for trouble, because it's not. It's not about gender anymore. Back when the workforce was very very much predominantly men, white people and men, I can see that now we have an extremely diverse population and workforce, and what people are going to struggle with is really, how do we make sure that everybody who comes in our door is given a chance to feel like they belong and to be successful and that can't cut across their lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and certainly women have been in short of the stake historically speaking. But you know, with the inclusion and the policies in DEI, you can make a legitimate claim that Okay, you mentioned white men may feel overwhelmed, but with all those change, especially men that have been around for a while, going, okay, it's hard to keep up with all this change. Maybe maybe they do need a seminar themselves for this. But you know, again, is something success has to come to the expense of someone else. It's zero some game. That's the way it's always been. But that's the problem.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I think if you if you create the type of environment, and I've had some I've had some conversations with companies who are really really really great places to work. They're constantly recognized. They have their people love working there. They're rating her glass door really high, and they're struggling with how do we look forward and how do we make sure instead of focusing on things like quotas and numbers, how instead do we focus on making sure we have the type of environment in which people feel like they can come here, feel like they belong, and that they can be successful. I think that's the conversation that needs.
Speaker 1: To be had moving forward.
Speaker 2: Right She's Julie Bouki, our career SUIRP every Wednesday morning on the Scots Lawn Show, Julie on the Job on seven hundred WLW and talking about this lawsuit that really doesn't have any meeting in your life, but it's going to because it's an impact where you work at some point. The Equal Opportunity Commission, the EEOC, is suing Coca Cola Northeast for sex discrimination because it was biased against men. They invited two hundred and fifty employees to a resort. They flew them in or got hotels for them and paid for that, and it was during company time, but it was a women's only seminar and according to the Civil Rights Act of nineteen sixty four. You can't do that because you're getting meals and salary and time off from regular duties and paid lodging. And I'm sure there's some reck and spa time maybe be golf, who knows something like that, and there's gonna be entertainers. But that's only for women and no one else. That's discriminatory according to the law. And I'm glad we live in a time where we can look at that going, Look, there's no problem. It's not a big deal to lift people up or lift a group up, but you have to do it equitably and fairly. And that's the problem with DEI all these years. And that's why I think the president's right to overturn this is like it always has to come to the expense of someone else. Like all these groups matter, but if one group matters, they all matter. How about just you know, if you want to be better at your job or productive, quit looking at gender, quit looking at race, and quit looking at all these other factors and just can you do the job or not? Now that's the perfect world for me. That's not reality, of.
Speaker 6: Course, right right, And that's so it's not it's not that we don't companies and humans and j general don't recognize that that people that there are times when you know, there are people who deal with different struggles in the workplace and at different times. And so I might be let's say I'm a twenty five year old life guy and I'm like, I don't get it, what's the big deal here? Then he ends up, you know, he gets married or gets a partner, they have a child, maybe the child has special needs. Now all of a sudden, you have parents who are really getting pulled in a thousand different directions. All of a sudden, that life experience may make him say, okay.
Speaker 3: I get it a little bit now.
Speaker 6: And so I think we have to just if we create cultures of belonging and we bring in opportunities for people to fully engage at work, but also, you know, live that live that blended life successfully regardless of what their situation is or what class or group they come from. I think you're just We're just going to have a lot better outcomes and a lot healthier conversation. And it's but it's a shift, and so it's going to take a bit for people to come to that shift. But I'm a Boomer. If I can learn it, anybody can learn it.
Speaker 2: The critics of they say that the EEOC is misusing their limited resources to go after cases like this while real discrimination in the workplace exists against women. How do you weigh that argument?
Speaker 10: Well?
Speaker 6: And do we know that? Do we know that they are not also going after other things in the department. I think that's kind of a false comparison, yep, I don't think. I don't think those two things necessarily two things can be true at once. They can be going after and calling out these kinds of things, but also calling out other things. But yes, those things exist. But we have to do we have to do sort of a frame of mind shift around how we look at this. What can I do to make sure that my workplace that I'm removing the barriers as a company leadership to everybody who walks our door being the most fulfilled and engaged they can be. How do I knock those barriers down?
Speaker 1: Because that may.
Speaker 6: Sound to you like, but it actually there's so many studies that show that those types of cultures fall directly to more success on the bottom line. And so it's a business case. It's a business.
Speaker 2: Barrierge Well, give me the examples of where this vast discrimination is happening as opposed to, well, there's still discrimination. Well, of course there is. There's always going to be discriminations. There are going to be crazy stories that come out in the news about somebody doing sexual harassment, or as long as men and women are together, that's going to happen. That's the realist side. Doesn't mean we should accept it and just go okay whatever, But I'm saying it's going to happen. We're the sexist co mingle. I guess the way I look at it is with when it comes to DEI programs and the like, is they have we you know, with pulling it back, are they going to be able to support themselves? Because at some point you've got to withdraw the program to see if we can Steff the toddler can stand on its own. And I think it's high time we've done something like that. I also know that this provides a lot of cover for people who may not be good or competent in their jobs, as opposed to going, well, you know, either you do can do the job, or you can't do the job. You can do this report, or you're not getting the concept and then immediately it reverts to Welt's discrimination. You're treating me because of my gender, my skin color, my ethnicity, my sexual orientation. No, you just you suck at your job. And unfortunately, for a long time, DEI has provided too much cover for that.
Speaker 6: Well, and let's it's not yeah, I mean, that's just poor leadership. I mean most of the issues at work today is poor leadership. So let me tell you a story that just has must right real quick. And I can tell the story pop because okay, okay, women I know working her butt off in this job too, and two and three jobs. She's the only woman on the team. The owner of this company gave all the males a bonus and a big raise, but not her.
Speaker 3: And do you know why?
Speaker 6: He said, Oh, you're nearly our strongest performer, but you're not the primary breadwinner in your household, so you don't need it.
Speaker 2: How old is the guy, the boss?
Speaker 1: He's sixty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. That's the problem is that age gap is like people still think like that.
Speaker 6: Right yeah yeah, And so it still affects people. So there's still that thinking out there. And if that makes sense to you, if you're listening, to this and that makes sense to you. You need to do some deep thinking, absolutely, because when you get learned, it's about the job. It's not about what your circumstances are outside of one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Julie Balki our career sup. Every Wednesday morning's Julie on the job at the Balki Group, a UK, the BAKA Career Coach, consultant, et cetera, advisor, your business, large, small or individual for that matter, All the best, have a great week. News is on the way. Next we'll talk about the State of the Union again and specifically the big thing is happened in the next seventy two hours here? What is the deal with Iran? The President briefly touched on this at the end last night. Mark and Silaco's here to break it down. Are we going to war? That's the question. Next we'll have an answer. Seven hundred WW Cincinnati. I don't want to be plony. On seven hundred WLW. The clock is ticket here. That clock tick tick, President Trump last night in the state of the Union deal or military strike? What's going to happen with Iran? Right at the end of it. If you were able to stay awake, that long, the longest State of the Union ever at one hundred and eight minutes, said he would never allowed Tehran to obtain nuclear weapons and says, hey, listen, I'd much rather do this diplomatically. So the latest done this is we have two US carrier strike groups now positioned in the region. There's a lot of US Navy ships there by the way, tomorrow nuclear talks will resume in Geneva. Rans four Minister says a deal is within reach. Pentagon leaked out some stuff regarding warnings in our military preparedness, and there's also what four straight days now fifty five days of university protests inside Iran, and this is all going to come to a head fairly soon, at least, we think. Let me bring in doctor Mark Ensilaco, former director of International Studies and found a human rights program studies at the University of Dayton, the Middle Eastern terrorism expert. Doctor Mark. Welcome back. How you doing.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well.
Speaker 9: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well?
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was a long speech last night. He did Iran at the end. So the President said that and multiple times, including last night, that they of the United States obliterated Around's nuclear program in operation Midnight Hammer last June. Nuclear experts say it was significant, not total, because they still have enrichment facilities at two locations suspect of being crippled, but they still operate at least one other reactors. So from your expertise, how accurate is the word obliterated and how quickly could Iran start resuming and reconstituting their nuclear capabilities.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, so there was that sort of contradiction. It was obliterated, but we might need to strike again. That was a bit confusing. And see, not an expert of nuclear proliferation, but from all I can see, they're set back and there had be a very difficult time. But has the destruction of equipment, of plans, right, research facility, we're talking about the assassination of physicists and another scientists, rocket scientists, et cetera. So they're hurting, and as you point out, with the unrest, the social unrest, the protests, the dissidents, they're having a very time, very difficult time focusing on anything. And you mentioned at the top was interesting, you know, the clocks taking, but the clock's on outside. It's not right. They're gonna we have to strike them next week because in two weeks they could have an operational nuclear weapon. Pustly need missiles to be able to bring them the United States. It could strike digital, but couldn't stake much there on that. So you know, Iron knows it's in a difficult situation and then knows that the President has no reluctance about using that hammer. It's moved a tremendous amount of military resources into the UH into the area. And you mentioned aircraft carrier metal groups, but aircrafts too, so air trink or refuelers and bombers, and so Iron knows from a recent experience that the United States has a hammer and it's willing to use it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and it's classic carrot or stick, right, we have the carrot, but we'll crack you with the stick if we have to. And certainly no one wants that. Even Trump said that himself. It was like, we want to end this diplomatically and said we'll never allow them to have a nuclear program. Their foreign minister said literally those words this week, the same thing, under no circumstances will we ever develop a nuclear weapon. President did acknowledge that in the last night in the State of the Union. So in that context. Now, what's really being negotiated here. It seems like the goalposts may be moving, and does it work in a context and framing his demands like this last night because they're admitting, hey, we don't want to do this, but we've seen in the past where well Iraq, right, we believe them would be developing programs and weapons of mass destruction. Of course, you know we saw what happened there in context, but again we can't be too sure, can't we.
Speaker 7: No, you know, these are secret facilities and try to hide them underground. Our intelligence good Israeli tell is very good, but there's things.
Speaker 1: We don't know.
Speaker 7: But you know, maturely interesting. The the Iranians, i think, want an outcome that's similar to the deal that he withdrew from before, right, so they can have rich to a certain degree and the UN can keep an eye on them, and they still retain that Trump President Trump wants and he's in a.
Speaker 1: Position to obtain.
Speaker 7: He wants this complete nuclearization, you know, no, enrichment to a certain level where the possibility for a breakout. But there's something else that to bring up, Scott, you know you mentioned the dissonance you have a regime That is how it's difficult today, but it's close to tottering right, And another president has spoken repeatedly about opposing regime wars of a regime change. One wonders if in the back of their mind the Houston military force is.
Speaker 1: More regime change.
Speaker 7: Now, by the way, if that theocratic regime comes down the nuclear issue and the nuclear program, the missile programs, support for terrorism, that goes away because there are reasonably democratic forces inside around who do that. So, whether that's intentional or not, a military strike would you know, hasten the collapse of the regime. It may be the purpose. So what I would strongly urge is as we go through the negotiation, prefer negotiated solution to the nuclear situation, of course, but whether we're behind regime change with military strike with all the means, we need to start thinking five steps down the road, not a step ahead, because this is gonna be a very complex situation. Is a large society, It could be civil war, it could be trying to some senstability and violence, and that's inpact, oil and everything else. So we're you know, one thing under this administration is with Venezuela and now Cuba, is next on the hit list. Uh, he's seeing the transformation in the global map in a way that's favorable to us interest. So in the back of my mind, I wonder if a lot of the stable rattling really has to do with regime change, not democlearization.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and on that point too, we have protests, as I said, erupting in universities around Iran, chounting death to Kameni and raising the pre revolution flag. They want to go back to seventy pre seventy nine, which you know, it was a completely free society. You look at pictures from then versus now, and it's it looks extremely western. You know, the women are going to university dressing in Western clothes. And this regime came in and seventy nine and changed all that. Human rights groups said seven thousand people were killed fifty thousand arrested in the January crackdown. So they're seeing that pressure. But at the same time, the regime is now mobilizing their militia on campuses in attacking the protesters themselves in this regard, So does that this military action, if we get involved in this in Iran militarily, does it strengthen comedies hold on power, because we've seen these things backfire before too.
Speaker 7: Yes, that's who knows. Who knows. I mean, certainly dissidents within Iran want the regime to come down, but they don't want the Shaw's sun to come back, and they don't necessarily want to come to power to bring out democratic change at the point at the point of a gun, an American gun. That puts them in a very difficult situation in terms of their legitimacy. You know, because after in December and January the violence there, the regime came out and said, yes, the word deaths, that they were caused by outside agitators and the Zionists and Americans. So certainly they'll try to leverage us involvement in terms of public opinion. But let me say something. I'm teaching on this class, my political violence seminar is now in his thirty sixty year and we're dealing with Iran. You get the number of a five thousand killed, I'm hearing forty thousand killed. We remember ten of men that was located in Animn and there are there are thousands there, one hundreds, certainly thousands.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 7: You had protests throughout the country every major city, and you write the Beijis and the other militia groups and the Revolutionary Guards are quite brutal and repressive, and they're not going to go quietly, you know. I remember when the Arab Spring was happening a number of years ago and the government Morocco fell to me eventually in Egypt. I remember being asked about Syria and I said, well, no, the regime Alfas Alasada and Beshier Alasada will fight to the last Syrian. It will be no way they're going to go quietly. And that's where they see what they're ranning regime. They're not going to go quietly, whether we strike them or not. And what would we strike? One thing, restriking the nuclear facilities or the air defenses. But to have any direct involvement you impact on the democracy movement. Uh, then they have to wait to strike. What strike the Revolutionary Guard had quarters. I mean, it becomes very it becomes then becomes a walk, then becomes an intervention in another country in a war that's not over eliminating a nuclear threat. Man, Now you're talking about a legion change war, which MAGA was opposed to.
Speaker 2: And I only that We're very bad at it. Every time, seems like every time we do it. Mark Ensiolaco from the University of Dayton. What happens is we put it here, Okay, we got a regime change, and then we forget. We move on to the next shiny thing, and then all this chaos occurs in country and we get another despot in charge. It's worse than the one. We spent all this money, time and sadly bodies on trying to displace. We don't have the I guess, the fortitude to make sure that the democracy takes rue whatever that looks like. I mean, it's certainly what the students want, but you wonder how many of the people who work for the autocratic society, meaning the generals and their minions, don't want that at all, and they'll completely undermine that to stay in power.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 7: On a personality side of it, I hope the president is paying listening more closely to Marco Rubio than exist. I just think in terms of their ability to analyze it. Talked about you need to be five steps ahead. Uh, Marcal Rubio is five steps ahead. Probably is thinking about the complex all the things you raised is delightful. You know, it's wonderful the moment whenever the dictator's statue was pulled down, you know where Sidam was saying it. That was a wonderful movement. But when you know, we got drawn into that war and we were very we got drawn into the surge because we were uh, in our in our greed to democratize a rack, we ended up just destabilizing in the war that they're in Vegas. And and I think and even President Trump is aware of that. I think he's quite aware of it.
Speaker 2: How in danger are our troops are assets out there? Ran has threatened to retaliate as hard as possible, uh and said that Hey, Comandie even said we can sink a US worship has Bala, The Houthis or Rocky militias are all across the region. What's a realistic retaliation scenario if we strike? What do they do to us? What's the most dangerous move they can make against us?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's an excellent question. And then it really the answer depends on a realistic assessment of their capabilities. So in two things, One they could fire off short range missiles. Now rock did is and there were scuds and they were in accurate, but Iranian weapons that rocket program is where it's just getting so they can start lobbing some things. They would have to overpower our anti ballistic missile equipment, you know, our Patriot system, our armed iron dome systems. But you know they could sneak a weapon, and it's one of these places. It's happened in Syria recently and Jordan where soldiers and military contract has been hit by a straight rocket. So that's one in good old days. They said that facetiously, it was you would expect terror operations, so you expect, you know, it takes it pick a military action and you never know what the US embassy's attacked in. I don't know, boinos Ares or something, so the terrorist can now struck at that. But the real question is you mentioned is Boland the huties they're hurt. They're hurt very er badly. You know that there's really attack with the pagers eliminated. We can his blog quite deal. So they've lost the land bridge across Syria to Lebanon.
Speaker 1: Hutu.
Speaker 7: Situation is really complex, so I don't I don't want to underestimate their ability either to strike US with a missile or too overwhelm our missile defenses, or it's terrorism, but it's it's real. It always attack has been. Remember we attacked Libya in nineteen eighty six, remember Richard Nixon, I mean Ronald Reagan and nineteen eighty nine we had penem one thing that was them, I mean, that was the retaliation. So there's that possibility. It's good for it's good that you brought that up. In addition to the ineptness that sort of managing a democratic change in society's foreigned to us, there's the terrorist that lingers as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, last night President Trump mark doctor mark on Siloaka from University Dayton, Trump claimed Iran as building missiles right now, intercontinental ballistic missiles it could reach the United States. Didn't offer any evidence for that. But how close to the truth is that do we know? And what's the intelligence picture.
Speaker 7: Here versus you know, Iranians are good physicist, physicists and scientists. They got a very robust missile program. I mean there's a there's a there's units within a relutionary guard that are in charge of this is weaponized. It a lot of cooperation with the Chinese in North Koreans, they're actually arming h Russia. You know, they're with the with the the drones, et cetera. So they're versphisticated arms manufacturing basis. And you know, I worry about the missile program as much as the nuclear program because got a nuclear you know, assuming you can produce a nuclear weapon, and they cout, could they got the uglinium and they got the expertise, could they miniaturize it to be able to put on a rocket, But you need a rocket to be able to hit its target. Pack. Really, Israel is already in the shadow of that, but certainly the United States, the United States is yet but yeah, they got to. I can't give it a complete assessment, but I would. I would. I would assess it as you know, uh, a moderate at least a moderate probability that they're advancing towards intercontinental blissage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's the problem is we don't know. We're just guessing. So this thing steps up if we launch or we strike a deal. Let's say that this happens and right now rants doing military drills in the straight up our moves. That's about what roughly twenty percent of the world oil supply. We're seeing the price of oil. The prices are good right now, but we're in near seven months high. So what happens to global energy markets if we strike them?
Speaker 7: Oh my, you know the petroleum market is so complex now now with Venezuela sort of off back online, they have production capabilities, but how they're they're given the oil to watch. And the President mentioned that lists and in the City Union rather than rather than Cuba or North Korea, so that offsets it. But no, whenever there's whenever there's disruption of shipping, it's quite scary. Remember remember View said start Remember our warship was struck, and you know the Ranians got a presence there and they get the speed boats and everything like that, so there's things they could do. So you've got to imagine we think about the air strikes, we think about the air force being able to like these out rates. Uh, big burden is going to rest on the capable shoulders of the Maybe, but the Navy was gonna have to keep the straight of hormonies open and protect the shipping ranks, and which we did during the roan At War we flagged tankers et cetera, et cetera. But no, those Revolutionary Guard Nagel boats, those speed boats yep, yeah, we remember in North Korea? Remember, uh you know them. I'm trying to think of the name of the of the warship as the time, but yeah, they're they're coal Yeah well coal was Yeah, that was al Qaeda. I'm thinking of Maya Mayagu West remember.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, But I mean that's a con attacted. These a smaller speedy boat and you know it's brigged with explosives, and you know it only takes one of those to get through the ring around our warships before I let you go. Yeah yeah, Mark on Slaco. So the clock is ticking here, deal or military strike? How do you how do you see this thing playing out? Which scenario is more probable? And what should be prepared for here in the homeland?
Speaker 8: Wow?
Speaker 7: Us tough questions. I just tell you, you know, my guess. My guess is I take the president's work. He wants a deal, he's a deal maker. But my my hunches there's going to be a military strike. Uh you know, it would seem being fastigious, such a waste to bring all that equip and all that flower not use it. And the Secretary of war. I think likes to order military operations. So my guess is there'll be some limited strike, just not a massive attack, but there'll be something too to get the attention and the Iranians. So when they go back and think of Nixon and Christmas bombing and Hanoi finally coming to a shutting table, my guess would be, you're going to see some limited military action. And I hope I'm wrong. I offer them, but it's it's real possibility, and.
Speaker 2: I guess I reply their response and would probably be a terror space attack as opposed to a you know, talking about launching missiles and the like AATUS and our assets which are over prepared for that, but you know, terrorism is a much lower bar.
Speaker 7: Yeah. And there's and and they say in the business, there's a lot of soft targets. You asked about threat to milk and military. Remember we were in Iraq were we were hit in Saudi Arabia the air force, air force bases and things like this. But the favorite target for terrorists or soft targets, so that means a tourist hotel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, sadly uh. Doctor Mark Nzelaco at the University of Date and former Director International Studies Program Founder Human Rights Studies at UD Middle Eastern Terrorism Experts. Book is Black September to September eleventh. I appreciate the time as always.
Speaker 7: Thank you. Scott, had a good day.
Speaker 2: Yeah you too. Not not the news you want to hear. And I hope he's dead wrong about this whole thing that cooled their heads to prevail and we can come to some sort of deal struck with Iran, as the President talked about last night in the State to the Union. How about news and now we'll return and lighten it up a little bit because we need to get a lighter than that. Right Sarah Elise is here. It's a snort report. We'll talk some sports next seven hundred w Old.
Speaker 5: Are you prepared? Aren't prepare?
Speaker 4: Who's ready for the paige? I'm prepared, prepared for the pork and the sort.
Speaker 2: It's a snow report on seven hundred Sarah from one Sports meets social Media. Yeah, you sound like hell right now? What are you doing here?
Speaker 1: Even you know what?
Speaker 8: It's better I'm having to hear about it because God forbid, I take a day off from this place.
Speaker 2: Who's killing you about taking a day off when you're sick.
Speaker 4: His name starts with kid and ends with Chris.
Speaker 2: Is it kid Chris?
Speaker 5: I think?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: What what?
Speaker 2: Why are you afraid to have?
Speaker 4: First time that I sniffle.
Speaker 8: He's like, oh, great, You're probably gonna have to take the take the day off, and I'm like, yeah, because I do that all the time, dolt.
Speaker 4: I I think I took two sick days last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's done this as long as I have. He can do the show himself.
Speaker 4: Can I don't think he can.
Speaker 2: We just play another song. You can play like seven songs, some more Ozzy Osbourne and a c DC and no, my sick voice I haven't heard on those airwaves. They have to be on there. What happens if it doesn't, Hell's to pay.
Speaker 4: So now you all can listen to my stuffy snort.
Speaker 2: That means I get sick and I have no problem taking a six.
Speaker 8: No, you don't, and you shouldn't. We get sick days for a reason. There's a reason we've got like eighty hours of sick days.
Speaker 2: Well I should be that guy. It's like I'll power through it. Well, what happens is you feel miserable, you show up and then everyone around you sick and they take the sick day, so you work even more when you're sick, like.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and then they're putting their fists in there like damn it, Sarah, why did you show up with your sick sickness?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like my job is I'm working on a human brain or something like that where I'm doing spinal surgery. And it's like it is, it's just a radio.
Speaker 8: Dan Carroll will happily be here, ken Brew. The list goes on, Mike Gallon.
Speaker 2: Go, they're fine, Well, I appreciate you being a trooper.
Speaker 4: Hey, you know what it's like, I said, it's it's better than having to.
Speaker 2: Hear about it too, because you're congested.
Speaker 4: Oh, we're super stuffy for this.
Speaker 2: You're not going to snort and snot all over me, though it could happen.
Speaker 8: And I feel bad because I know all the older gentlemen around here, like I can't be getting you guys sick, like your immune systems are very sarious.
Speaker 2: Older people too. It's like a Gallagher show here, we're in the front row. We're smashing water mills. Like it's not all over I gotta I gotta wear a poncho.
Speaker 8: And you know who's on this mic next, our friend Seg. He sits here. We don't need him getting sick. He's very important.
Speaker 10: I don't think he ever gets he never leaves, he never content sick. We have been haveing next contact with people to get sick, all of us here at I heeart. That's it, that's true, all right.
Speaker 4: Someone who's not sick are Miami RedHawks. They are alive.
Speaker 2: I'm healthy.
Speaker 8: Everybody else is sick of them winning because now they are twenty eight no, and they are three wins away until a perfect season. A little rough last night though not their best performance, but still got it done. You are going to have that, you know, Friday making every single three. Last night not so much little toff. I didn't think they're going to make it through that one for a little bit.
Speaker 4: They did three to go.
Speaker 2: But is it challenging them? I mean, it's not like they're paying a big team. You're coming up.
Speaker 8: I think that It's like Western Michigan. They had Eastern last night, Western this Friday the other night.
Speaker 4: It was a good game. There was not one Beg fan at Mallett Hall. Another sold out game too.
Speaker 2: It was cool.
Speaker 4: I'm like when I was here. This never happened.
Speaker 8: I went to there's fans, no plenty of guys on the bench, though, I was like, why do these guys have twenty five coaches? Like what is the point of every single guy inna brown polo walking around?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: They just want to close up of Miami weddings. That Yeah, I almost brought in my diploma today since some of you gentlemen forgot that I actually Gridge waited from Miami University.
Speaker 2: Forgot you graduated from me after all these years. I thought you were a youth. I thought you went to UC as much UC swag as you have.
Speaker 8: Well, I worked for the campus and I can't be over here hyping up Miami while I'm working for the Bearcats.
Speaker 4: I still love both.
Speaker 2: Changing both to the front runner address is what.
Speaker 8: If that's what you want to call? Yeah, I just set you in Austin Omore straight.
Speaker 2: On, Fred Miami Grant. I thought you went these years. You see you, you see stuff all the time. I actually went to UC. You went at Miami, So I admit it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, So every person in my family graduated from UC, like my grandpa, uncle's dad.
Speaker 4: I'm like the lone Miami grad of my family.
Speaker 8: So yeah, right twenty ten baby, all the way back to twenty ten go red Hawks, and of course Brick Street, the most famous bar in the world. Right now, we're very rowdy. Over the week I sure started for that gold medal.
Speaker 2: Wag was awesome.
Speaker 8: It was very awesome, and we were to It's there on Friday night before hoops. Hardly anybody there, and I'm like, I promise you this place will be packed for hockey, very much of the hockey hockey town.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 4: I watched more hockey games there than foot.
Speaker 2: To watch. Again, that's a great and glad to see that Miami hockey's back.
Speaker 4: And it's tiny too.
Speaker 8: I mean you're only going to have like three thousand people in there, so every seat is really good and you're pretty much guaranteed to see him win.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've ever seen a Miami hockey loss.
Speaker 8: Speaking of hockey, if you do want to get your fix, the Cyclones are back at it tonight seven thirty puck drop two dollars beers and this weekend they become the Cincinnati three Ways. What something that only makes sense and Cincinnati if you were a fan of the Chili new jerseys.
Speaker 2: Every every game there's a new jersey.
Speaker 8: It keeps things fun though it's it's gonna be a good time. Matt Sheer is my buddy that designed those did a great job. So if you can make it out to go support the Three ways. Puck drops seven thirty on Saturday.
Speaker 2: More sweaters than old Navy.
Speaker 4: Bugs.
Speaker 8: Also trending on social media when it comes to sports, our thirteen year old buddy that messed up the Marty statue. He's not going to be seeing any games at GABP for quite some time. He is banned through the twenty twenty nine season, so he will be a age to vote by the time that he can.
Speaker 10: Bandle a partial banishment from Great American Ballpark. And I guess he has to pay what three thousand bucks to the Reds to.
Speaker 2: Fix that statute. Oh boy, what did he do? Mess up the mic Well, he.
Speaker 10: Tried to climb the statue. He was climbing it in and he grabs the microphone in the design bent dude, how did it fall.
Speaker 4: Over so easy?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like he wasn't up there very long messing.
Speaker 2: With it, and then they took the statue out. It's not there.
Speaker 4: So they were like, forget it, We're going to take the entire thing out of the wall.
Speaker 2: Oh I mean, look at the weather. You want to work that inside? You could take it off and then work on in the shop and fit right.
Speaker 4: So that'll be ready for opening day, less than thirty days to go. By the way, March twenty.
Speaker 2: Who loves this, So this whole thing more than anybody else, Marty? You know why?
Speaker 4: Because he wanted it lower.
Speaker 2: Nope. Why so we're going to have another tribute ceremony. Here we go. We're going to do the cutting, another party, Marty, Marty, I remember you were in the same sweater I was, yeah, seven, Remember at the Charleston Mall and Charleston Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: We still see him greeting people at Kroger.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: So why not run it back for another ceremony.
Speaker 2: Run it back, We're gonna get he gets another ceremony. He gets, you know what, Marty gets more as kissing. That's for the.
Speaker 8: Holiday we'll be doing on March twenty fifth. It'll be Marty Brunnaman Day here in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: All over again.
Speaker 8: Bring the whole media team out. Oll of l W will be there. We'll have a Pete Rose bobblehead to celebrate. I don't know. Ye, we can celebrate the Reds. They got their first win in Cactus League play. Got it done yesterday against the Royals.
Speaker 2: Five to four. I don't really celebrate this preseason. It's spring.
Speaker 4: But do you think that there are too many spring training games? Like, let's just get to it. We've were three in like, let's go like football.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 2: The problem with that, though, is a is you've seen this before?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And who was I talking to was Jeff Carr from Lockdown Rest.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know why they need Monday offs, Like, yeah, because you need to ease into this. We don't need you do. I don't know way to be injured as we start the season.
Speaker 4: I shoulnderstand.
Speaker 2: Make it easy.
Speaker 8: You work two days and you're like, look, I need a day. I gotta go golfing, which is exactly what they did on Monday.
Speaker 2: Like the old days where the guys would show up in horrible shape and they'd lose thirty pounds in the month to get in games, right, right, you know back then, did guys get injured as much? No, It's like they come in incredible shape and then they just press it too hard.
Speaker 8: Hey, these guys are in great shape and they've been taking care of themselves. I mean, we know that Ellie has put on like seventeen pounds of muscle. He is jacked up top. I mean every single photo that the Reds are adding you can see every sort of definition in his arms.
Speaker 4: We know that Sal Stewart has lost weight.
Speaker 10: I don't like that.
Speaker 4: You don't like that he's.
Speaker 2: Jack no Jealousick Sale. A guy named Sale should be.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, Sale sounds like a guy that's just Sal. He's just chilling on the airwaves.
Speaker 2: Big Sally.
Speaker 10: He should be working here and and like, yeah, he's just like he's I love sales story. This is going to be the air when Al Roker lost all the weight. I like fat Al, I like my weathermen fat, I like my I like to have a rotn guy. Wow, he's not ro ton a thicker guy playing first Space. It looks good.
Speaker 8: Here's the dude in I'm back in the day. There's a few comedians that keep losing weight. I'm like, stop doing that. You're funny when you're fat.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know what about jelly Bean.
Speaker 4: He lost the jelly Roll.
Speaker 2: Yeah, jelly Bean lost the weight.
Speaker 8: He's lost like three hundred pounds and he's been training for five k's and he's not on ozembic.
Speaker 4: He says he's doing it all the right way.
Speaker 10: I mean, it's insane what he's but his body, all that weight and now the neck tattoos.
Speaker 2: He looks like a scream mask, like a Skins milking. I can't even read that. What is It's like one of those Google things where they you have to get the pass word with.
Speaker 4: It's it's kind of messy up top the capture thing.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so Sal Stewart, I mean, I think this will be the year of Sal and Matteth Plane. He's ready for a big comeback year, somebody who's looking to get back into it. I was really excited to see this guy over the weekend. TJ Antone, I am a TJ gal. I've always loved this guy. He has been through it with three Tommy John surgery. So finally pitched in a reds Uni on Sunday for one inning and he said, look, I feel like I'm right back at home. He eased right back into it. Tito talked to media after and he goes Yeah, he looked great up there. So hopefully we'll see TJ an time a lot more of this season. Something there is always something. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So he's like baseball's version of Lindsay Vaughn at this point. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 8: And if she wouldn't have gotten that surgery, they would have cut they had to cut her leg off if she wouldn't have so she was gonna have to amputate the leg and the way peg get right back out there. Forty five years old. Yeah, and poor thing, her dog just died. I mean, it doesn't get worse than that. So but yeah, TJ Antone says he has a book out if you want to do some reading this upcoming spring or summer, if you're outside.
Speaker 4: It's a book called The Tommy John Protocol.
Speaker 8: I actually talked to TJ about this at Redsfest and it's just basically his experience of like how he's been handling the game of baseball mentally, because you know, this is taking a mental toll on this guy not being able to perform on that mound. So the Tommy John Protocol is out, should be a good read.
Speaker 4: So yeah.
Speaker 8: Also trending on social media, the NFL Scouting Combine is happening in Indie. Your favorites, Zach Taylor and Duke tobinheld pressers yesterday.
Speaker 4: They were very exciting as you can imagine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm looking and of course you know Austin and Tony and Moe live at the Combine.
Speaker 8: Nowhere near the Combine, they can you guys actually stay away as the home of the Cincinnati Bengals. We don't need you here. Yeah, that's amazing that those guys.
Speaker 2: Go to the combos. He was like, Oh, I like the pizza flavor.
Speaker 4: Give me the cheese. I do like I do like the buffalo and blue cheese.
Speaker 2: I can get down with Snyders pretzel pieces like my two favorite.
Speaker 4: Like road Buffalo Snyders.
Speaker 7: I can.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that sounds good right now. I can get down with some of those on.
Speaker 2: Your way, because that will help you clean your nose out.
Speaker 8: See, I need some of that frankiees I've got. Well, there's a bottle of something in here, a little bit of guy.
Speaker 2: I'm a story Cincinnati. Okay, just met the lady who came up with that.
Speaker 8: I need that.
Speaker 4: I should truly do so.
Speaker 8: Duke was talking about, you know, the Bengals in the off season, and he says, we do have all of the resources to attack the off season in a big way.
Speaker 2: No, no, you know, thanks.
Speaker 4: And when it comes to Joe Burrow and the.
Speaker 8: Conversations that he's had with him in the off season, he's like, yeah, we've talked, but haven't had a chance to sit down and do a full debrief.
Speaker 2: How long you wait before doing whatever that? I like, I would think you the first week after the season's over, Like, hey, take a couple of days, clean your locker. Right, let's let's have a sit down.
Speaker 8: But if you've been following Joe Burrow on social media or see that he's been trending, he has been everywhere but Cincinnati, so probably hard to get a hold of him. Yeah, he's been doing some fabulous travels in the off season. And I know that we love Dalton Reisner. He's obviously a big fan favorite here in Cincinnati. So Duke was asked about Dalton kind of like what that looks like and if they're gonna be bringing him back. He goes, look, he's a great fit, and he said they're they've been talking to him and they're gonna try to see if they can get something done.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, bring bring Dalton back.
Speaker 2: You need something.
Speaker 4: So there you go.
Speaker 8: And then as Zach Taylor, they talked to him and they said, uh, yeah, He's like, it feels weird. It's a little strange to be the own coach in the AFC North that didn't get cut.
Speaker 4: I'm sure he does feel strange.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he's got all the coaches in the a f C North. I thought for sure i'd be the guy getting fired after the season, but I'm the only one left over here.
Speaker 8: And if you remember that very lengthy Duke Tobin presser that we had after the regular season, I mean, he's he had nothing but good things to say about Zach Taylor. He's like, I love the coaching stuff. I'm happy with Zach and he's great. So anyways, I don't think we're gonna have Joe Flacco back, but they are in the hunt for a rookie.
Speaker 2: She is the critically ill Sarah Lee.
Speaker 4: On the show that's trying to get through today.
Speaker 2: It's the report. Oh my god, it just came. Oh my god, it was like a volcano.
Speaker 4: Good luck with this, Mic Soud, don't put lava over here.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going on. It's like this green just grew all over that microphone.
Speaker 4: All right, kind of sexy stuff here in the studio today. So anyway, go Reds. They're back at it today.
Speaker 8: I believe they're on these airwaves right at three h five pitch against the White Sox about it, no doubt, Baby Dolo on the mountin today.
Speaker 2: Share a release back at one of two seven EBN tomorrow out of guilt for no other reason, uh huh, grinded it out as the game. Baby. I believe Willie or Dan Carroll or Ken Bruce, somebody's coming.
Speaker 4: On next Mike or maybe and I they want us to sail down.
Speaker 2: Oh it is Willy. Willy's back to oh because last night I gotta talk to the America.
Speaker 4: That's why I gotta talk.
Speaker 2: To the American. That's the greatest speech ever.
Speaker 4: Did you watch all one hour and forty seven minutes?
Speaker 1: Sleep?
Speaker 2: I really I passed out. I'm good over the Red seven hundred Wtvety, Cincinnati,