Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're going to running back.
Speaker 3: To get him on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase, last.
Speaker 2: Day, Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vasay with you until the bottom of the hour after the Dodgers return home with a twelve to seven come from behind victory. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy for all of you out there in the parking lot are driving home after the Drone show. A sellout crowd came for the Drone Show. They came for the one piece cards, and they came for the Dodgers, who put on a show and reminded everybody why they are the best team in Major League Baseball and the defending back to back World champions. With their fifty seventh win of the year, they're fifty seven and thirty one, now thirteen games ahead of the Padres, who are five hundred and reeling after losing six in a row now, which started last Saturday night when they gave up fifteen runs to the Dodgers. The San Diego Padres now have allowed sixty five runs over these last six games. According to Dennis Lynn of The Athletic, it's the worst six games span in franchise history, surpassing the sixty one runs they allowed back in twenty sixteen from May to June second, May twenty eighth to June second, twenty sixteen. And look, the Padres are starting to get some offerens from Machado and Tata, but their pitching is extremely thin, as we saw tonight as the Dodgers took it to Randy Vasquez again as they got to him for four runs after he was spotted six nothing after he was spotted a six nothing lead thanks to Roki Sasaki not being very effective tonight either, And let's just get this out of the way so we could celebrate the Dodgers coming from behind after being down six nothing. Roki Sasaki in his last four starts, he's only thrown seventeen innings He's only lasted seventeen innings combined in his last four starts. He's given up nineteen urned runs, he's allowed twenty one hits, and he's walked eleven batters. And oh, by the way, he's given up seven home runs. So you could talk about tipping all you want. That's more than just tipping pitches. I'm sorry. And you just hope that he can rediscover the confidence that he showed during that stint of five or six games at the end of May and in June, because the Dodgers don't need him to be seven scoreless innings the way he pitched against the Angels twice. They just need five innings. Do what Emmit Sheen did last Sunday. Just go five innings, allow one and run, keep the team in the game, don't put them in a hole. Don't put your bullpen in a hole. And this goes back to the last two nights. Thank goodness for Justin Robleski for seven innings and one hundred and ten pitches. Thank goodness for Jack Dryer and Charlie Barnes last night, especially Barnes saving the bullpen. Robleski and Barnes saved the Dodger bullpen the last two nights to be set up for this four game series, and the wild card that is Roki Sasaki. There's no better way to describe Sasaki. He's a wild card. I don't care what you believe his ceiling is. You have no idea what's going to happen when he takes the mound. And if you say you do, you're reading Dylan Hernandez and his fiction. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. All right, let's talk about the Dodger offense. You're down six to nothing after the Padres take it to Sasak two runs in the first inning on a two run home run by Manny Machado, and then Marilynd Cronenworth hit home runs in the second inning, So they're down six nothing going into the bottom of the second. Dalton rushing started to give people belief that they could come back. There was a lot of game left, and it just shows how the Dodgers are so much more mentally tough, not only more than the Padres, but more than any the team in baseball. It could have been very easy for the Dodgers just to pack it in. They got in late after a night game in Sacramento, coming off a nine game road trip. They know they're playing with house money. They now have a thirteen game lead over the Padres. They're running away with the division down six to nothing. You get a start like that from Sasaki, but it felt like when Roki put a zero up in the third inning and the Dodgers hit a two run home run thanks to Dalton rushing and Dave Roberts didn't allow Sasaki to go back out there. I mean the pitch count was high, it was at eighty eight pitches, but for him to bring in Will Klein and Cline to put up a zero in the fourth, that gave the Dodgers even more momentum. When they're able to score two more in the third all of a sudden, now it's a six to four game, and they got Randy Vasquez on the ropes like they had him on the ropes last Saturday night. Four runs in the fourth inning, Pajz's game time tying two run double as a Sadad Taylor couldn't come up with it clean down there, Dino Eble was waving home all these guys, Tommy Edman, Dalton rushing Max Munsey moving the line, Mookie Betts with the go ahead double to score Piez in that four run fourth. It was really fun to watch the Dodger offense tonight, and everybody that was here for the one piece you got treated to a great offensive game by the Dodgers. Fifty four thousand and eighty one in the house tonight to watch the Dodgers come from behind to beat the Padres twelve to seven, eight six, seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. So the Padres are reeling. They've lost six games in a row, which started with the Dodgers beating them the final two games of the series at Petco Park. So all in all, the last three times the Dodgers and Padres have played, the Dodgers have won, of course, but they have outscored San Diego thirty one to twelve. A very sad Diego these days. Let's go out to George in La. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. George, Hey, Dave, how's it going. Can't be bad these days?
Speaker 4: George, Hey, I just want to mention a few players that I think are just come in at the right spot. Dalton Rushing, Edgardo Henriquez, and Tommy Edmond. I mean, wow, these guys just came in at the right time and they're peaking. They're playing great. I know Rushing had a live incident, but he's maturing.
Speaker 5: He's Wow, what a backup catcher.
Speaker 4: Huh.
Speaker 2: Well, now everybody's singing his praises after a four hit for RBI night. But there's not too many teams that could lose a player of Will Smith's caliber and have a guy like Dalton Rushing ready to go. So yeah, I would say that's pretty impressive, and that's what separates the Dodgers from other teams. You lose a Will Smith on some other team and there's a huge drop off. Instead you got Dalton Rushing. And Dalton Rushing had some good karma today, late night getting in long nine game road trip, and this morning he was in Chinatown at the public library at ten am reading to little kids and then shows up at Dodger Stadium and collects four hits, a two run home run and four RBIs so great day for Dalton Rushing and a lot of different aspects of his life. Let's go out to Daniel in Ventura. You're on Dodger talk. How you doing, Daniel, I'm doing good, DV.
Speaker 6: How was yourself?
Speaker 1: Bro?
Speaker 2: Feeling great? Man?
Speaker 6: What a great win tonight for them? They really fit the script. They showed a lot of fight tonight, the offense kept coming. Turned into a twelve seven statement. We got good momentum going into the All Star break. Man, I just got a shout out Dalton rushing Man. That dude's had his ups and downs, but man, this guy can really comes through in big moments.
Speaker 7: Bro.
Speaker 2: He I mean, he showed a lot tonight, and he showed a lot all season long. People put him on social media having these emotional outbursts. They showed him and Otani not being on the same page last week. And he just doesn't quit on himself. He doesn't quit on the team and again mentally tough to just keep coming back every day.
Speaker 6: He shows it all on the field.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's contagious. When you got guys like Freddie Freeman, you got Otani, you got Muncie, you got Mookie Betts. When you're surrounded by those type of players, you know it's gonna be hard to just quit on yourself or feel sorry for yourself. We saw that in Minnesota, how Dave Roberts put an arm around him, Mark Pryor was talking to him, Freddie Freeman talked to him. So it just feels like that was one of those days that he'll look back on five, six, seven years from now and think, you know what, that was a huge growing moment for me. And tomorrow Otani is going to pitch, he is going to dh and Dalton Rushing is going to catch Otani, and in my mind there was never a doubt that Rushing wouldn't catch show Heyotani. There's been a lot more communication between those two, especially after what happened last week, and there is no way either one of those guys is going to show up the other by saying, you know what, I'm not catching you, or Otani saying I want Chucky Robinson catching me. And how about this. A lot of time players these days, they take to their own social media or in Mookie Betts case, he has his own podcast on bleacher Report on Base with Mookie Betts, and in Sacramento, him and Max Munsey talked about what went down in the dugout in the second inning in Minnesota, where Rushing followed O'tani down into the tunnel.
Speaker 5: But I want to speak a little bit about this situation in Minnesota where Rush and Show.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, everybody kind of saw it.
Speaker 5: When they go down and we got to go down and look at me and you done there.
Speaker 3: We're just being nosy, Hey, wait what y'all doing down there? I was really just kind of seeing how this is going to play out, what was possibly going to be said.
Speaker 8: I think it's a good growing moment for both guys. The Show's not always gonna be able to throw to Will, and this is one of those moments where it was like, hey, sometimes Show wants to throw a pitch that maybe isn't the best pitch to throw. You learn how to deal with that, right, the more you've been in those types of situations.
Speaker 3: What I really enjoyed was like how Rush later on took accountability.
Speaker 1: He knows that he has a lot.
Speaker 2: On his plate.
Speaker 8: You're the catcher for a staff that's first in baseball for in a lot of categories, so you know, yeah, that's a lot on your plate, and he's done an amazing job handling it.
Speaker 1: He'll just keep learning.
Speaker 8: Not one of us knew how to handle that situation at that nut stage. No how many times were you peeking around the corner and I was breaking a bat down in the tunnel or something.
Speaker 2: You know, I bet those John Boy and all the social media bloggers out there won't show that clip complimenting Dalton Rushing, complimenting how much he does have on his plate, especially since Will Smith hasn't played a game since June fifth. He's had to take all of that on his plate and navigate it on a team that's looking to three peats. So look, I think John Boy's good for the game, but I feel like the cameras are kind of like when Blake Snail's gaming, they always clip something from his gaming sessions. Things don't go Rushing's way. Yes, he's an emotional rollercoaster at times, and it's good TV, but I think what's lost in all of that is the fact that he has a big heart, he cares, and he's a great guy, and for him to be portrayed in any other way is completely misleading. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Culver City. Bruce, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bruce?
Speaker 5: Doing well?
Speaker 2: David?
Speaker 5: Thank you for taking my call. And I want to talk about Kyle Tucker for a moment, but before I do that, since you're talking about Dalton Rushing, I noticed that he was the lead out on a double play ball and unlike a previous instance, he just hit the dirt ten feet shy of second base. So he is learning in lots of different ways. And I have mad respect to the dude for doing all that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is going to make Kyle feel good. Getting four hits, four RBIs he's going to feel good about himself when he comes to the ballpark tomorrow as.
Speaker 5: Well he should. But so Shoald Kyle Tucker. I mean, all of us have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it hasn't been pretty proof. Kyle would be the first one to admit that. But now it's starting to turn the corner.
Speaker 5: I mean, was a nine straight advance on bass four for four tonight with a walk. You know, it's we're we're on him when he he had that horrible strikeout to end the game a couple of weeks ago. But when he has his like tonight, I think we need to say, Okay, maybe this is a good sign that he is going to turn the corner. You know, you've been telling us to wait for after the All Star break, and I'm really hopeful that Gil turning around and start earning that contract in a big way.
Speaker 2: All Right, Bruce, thank you for the phone call. Like I said, forget about the contract. The contract doesn't match who he's been in his career. He's not a three point fifty hitter with thirty five forty home runs. That's not him. He is who he is, and that's who the Dodgers want him to be. They want him to be the Kyle Tucker that they have seen his entire career. Two seventy hitter, takes a lot of walks, erks, pitches in at bats and you know we'll hit twenty five to thirty home runs and drive in ninety to one hundred runs. They're not looking for anything more than that. And in his last twenty eight plate appearances, Tucker sitting four to seventy six with a no ps of twelve seventy four. You'll hear from Kyle Tucker what he said moments after the final out tonight. Also, Jose Moto will check in as we continue on Dodger Talk Live from Uniclo Field at Dodger Stadium after the Dodgers come from behind six nothing, down before the seats were warm, before you could even look at that one piece card, before you could even put on that one piece hacked Rokie had the Dodgers down six nothing, and they roar back with a twelve to seven come from behind victory over the Padres on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Seventy.
Speaker 3: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basseying.
Speaker 2: First time in two years a Dodgers starter has given up six or more runs in the first two innings of a game. The fly ball the deep left center field, heading on back to the wall and with com a two run home run for Dalton Rushing. So his hot hit ain't continued. The Dodgers are on the board six to two, San Diego. Oh, they're gonna chip away. And that's exactly what they have done now. Dodgers trying not too big too early. They just took what was given to them after they were down early six to nothing. Dalton Rushing started the comeback with that two run home run in the bottom of the second inning. The Dodgers would go on to score two more in the third, four and the fourth, two more in the fifth, one in the sixth, and the eighth to beat the Padres tonight night twelve to seven. The Dodgers, for the sixth time this year, collected seventeen hits. That's a season high, and they had seventeen against the Padres last Saturday night, when they scored fifteen runs against them. And on Monday in Sacramento, Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card visit AM five to seventy. Lasports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the Horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast with Luis Cochito Cruz. Jose, what stood out to you the most about the Dodgers coming from behind after being down early six to nothing.
Speaker 7: The back quality was number one. To meet David and then with so much game left and a Powers team that has not been hitting, they score six runs and they figure, well, here we go. I think we have something. But it was just way too already talking about it during the broadcast. This team, even though they're a little quiet last night, this team knows that there's opportunities. Rondy Voskuiz knows there's gonna be a huge challenge for him if he feels his own. He's a topic guy that if he feels his own he's gonna be in trouble, and he's hoping to get some chases. This team just does not go out and chase. And the best thing about it was obviously the contributions from the bottom of the odor, but the Dodgers put the ball on Employe today. They did not go out there and try to do it all in one swing. It was one home run left, you know, hit today and just stick quality of it. Bats, working counts and allowing themselves to pass the bouton as you mentioned, but also Dave working counts to their favor and not over swinging. There's a big part of your thinking when there's a lot of game left, when you just tell yourself just play baseball. There's way too many opportunities in front of us, and they know the Powders are scuffling. There's always that ounce of doubt is there's going to be enough, and obviously it was not. They put together the best at bats, everybody contributed, and here we are.
Speaker 2: I know we focus on the Dodgers on this show, Jose, but considering what the Padres have been through in the last twenty four hours, getting beat twenty three to three by the Cubs and then getting ahead six to nothing and losing this game, do you believe this is rock bottom for San Diego?
Speaker 7: Is very devirilizing. I mean you have to think about you know, as I mentioned, he scored six early against Osaki. You have his pitches, Dave, There's no doubt in my mind. The Takes told me they had every single on one of his pitches. But for the Podres, as you ask me, it's a point where you go, Okay, how much is enough? All they want to do really is to keep the other team low and runs and give it to the bullpen with the lead. They have not allowed themselves to do that. If you think about they came into today hitting two twenty four of the team the worst collective average in baseball twelve of home runs in the National League twenty second on baseball. That's just not going to be sustainable. And even though you can win the closed ball games, when your starter goes out there and give you some innings, he just cannot do it because the offense is not there. There's low energy in that ball club. It's quite easy to see. And then as things keep mounting up as a team, you keep saying, when is this going to end? What is it going to take? But I think they let off a little bit because again as a bullpen, they could have done a better job, and just almost seemed like it was enough, like that's all we're going to score here today, and they got their their gray down, they're thinking down. Before you know it, here comes a big blue and you know rolling over all.
Speaker 2: Right, Jose Mody, you mentioned Roki Sasaki. Okay, the Padres had his pitches tonight, But how do you explain the last four starts where he's given up nineteen or in runs. Has he been tipping in the last four starts as well?
Speaker 7: I don't think the other teams have had it. I mean, you can be tipping and the other team may not see it as clearly as a potter is do They had it in San Diego too. They know exactly what they're looking for, and his misses were so closed or frustrated him, but their taste told you everything, and the other one's stay confidence. There's no conviction, there's no determination to say this is my plan. I have to go out there and react to what I'm seeing in the batter's box, not gold with that card or whatever report was in front of you. Every single game is a different game. You cannot base it on collective or cumulative information, especially with a guy like him when he fills his own. In fact, when they may contact against some early incounts, it's not like the averages are hite high. But then the walks become an issue when he's chasing strikeouts. So the combination of the potters him not be able to hide those pitches and then not throw them with confidence and walking people has become the biggest thing for him. If you put the angels in front of him, it's like a different story, like, Okay, they have trial, they have adel and whatever, and it's like he almost said, I'm going to get these guys. We want to see this every single time out. Rooki needs to identify with who he is, the stuff that he has that particular day, and just be able to be determined to fill the zone and get after people no matter what. And you have to pitch inside. Last time in San Diego, he starts off with a fastball that on Tote Taties wants no part of anything. The rest of the game. It's just a different story because the command has been lacking, so he doesn't trust that fastball inside. But beyond that, he's got to go out there and be determined to be one tope of pitcher that can go out there and hold his put spot on the rotation, throw strikes and put hitters away. Not necessarily would the strike out Dave.
Speaker 2: The Padres had a golden opportunity to win the first game of this four game series. Instead, they lose their sixth straight game after the Dodgers come from behind to beat them twelve to seven on a night that Roki Sasaki gave up six runs in three innings. Oh, by the way, tomorrow show, Hey, Otani's on the mound for the Dodgers. Dalton Rushing's going to catch him. Do you believe that Otani calls his his own pitches from the very beginning of the game.
Speaker 1: I believe so.
Speaker 7: But I tell you what, I've talked to both guys bafter that happened, David. I mean, obviously cameras caught it. This is happening for a long time. It happens, We've going to show hell Tony he got a little bit bigger. But it was almost a point of saying, Okay, I respect you, you respect me. Let's go out there and get it together. You haven't seen anything that tells you they're not on the same page. In fact, I believe showhy is probably gonna give them the benefits down and say, you know what you call a pitch that go on that plan until I see something. But show Hayes always has the authority every picture does to say that might be the plan. But what I'm seeing right now is not how they're reacting to my pitches. Let's change it. But I would not hesitate to see or doubt that I can see rushing calling pitches because the plan has been you know, clearly explained in detail. But if something goes wrong or show he wants to challenge a pitch, he's gonna go out there and do it. So you know, they're on the same page. These things do happen around baseball many, many times, and I'm glad that there's been no Anemo city whatsoever. Knowing that you've got to be professionals, move on and play the game right because you're playing for a team, not for yourselves.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, we'll see how it goes tomorrow night. O'tani on the man with two extra days rest and the Padres are reeling. We'll see you out here tomorrow at the ballpark.
Speaker 7: Okay, that'll be who to see your face again.
Speaker 2: All right, there, he goes, Jose Moda. I spoke to show hel Tani and Dalton Rushing. Wow. Anyway, these two guys are definitely on the same page. There'll be a clear line of communication. And I can guarantee you if Otani wants to challenge a pitch, Dalton Rushing is not going to shake him not to do it. I can guarantee that part. Hey, before we say goodnight, Kyle Tucker, another phenomenal night. Reaches base five times tonight, four hits a walk coming off a four walk night last night. Here's what he said to us after the game and about the Dodgers come from behind victory tonight.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, we feel like we're never out of it game, no matter if we're up or down whatever amount, we always feel like we're in it and we're and we're always gonna end up scoring runs. We just got to continue putting together really good at bats back to back and keep the line moving.
Speaker 2: So we were able to do a really good job.
Speaker 9: But I had that every single ending tonight, so we just had to chip away and keep it going from there.
Speaker 2: How do you guys fight the temptation of just trying to take big swings and do it yourselves. I mean, you just kind of do your part.
Speaker 9: Go up there, have a really good at bat, trying you know, if he throws over the play, try and barrel it up, and you know, get the guy over and get him in. We did a really good job at that tonight, so just gonna do your job, kinda move on to the next sack, get the line moving.
Speaker 2: You had four hits tonight, but last night you walked four times. Was that a better indicator that you're seeing the ball better? Yeah?
Speaker 9: I mean the last couple of games felt felt good, you know, tracking the balling with my swing and everything. So I was able to put the barrel on the ball a few times last series, and kind of trying and just keep that momentum going into the next game and so on and so forth. So go, pretty good run.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Word on the street is the connection with David Say has turned your season around? Is that true? Possibly? Well, TV day, we'll see, thanks for stopping. What a nice win tonight. Congrats, Thank you appreciate it. TBD. Indeed, that's what everybody tells me. TBD, Dave, TBD. We'll see if I still like you tomorrow. Anyway, Tomorrow should be a fun day at Dodger Stadium. The third of July show. Hey Otani will be on the mound. He's eight and two this season with an ERA of one fifty eight, going up against Michael King, who is five and seven with an ERA at three fifty five. Our coverage begins tomorrow at six o'clock, first pitch at seven to ten with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. Game two of this four game series, Game two of this ten game homestand as the Dodgers head into the All Star breaks. So we hope to see you out here between now and next Sunday. Like I mentioned, Kyle Tucker starting to heat up. Four walks last night, four hits tonight on base five times. He's hitting four to seventy six is on base percentage of six. All of that adds up to a twelve seventy four ops. So we'll look to see him continue that tomorrow night and build upon that as he heads into the All Star break. Thanks to Coline back at our Burbank Studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald, who is being a trooper mentally tough to continue to keep it going out here at Dodgers Stadium. Thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our pregame conversation with Dave Roberts celebrating his one thousand win as a manager, you can find it all on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight the Dodgers beat the Padres twelve to seven. Have a great rest of your Thursday night, Be safe, see him pay