Speaker 1: It is Monday, February second, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Wats to get to today? From groundhog k chaos.
Speaker 1: To a Today's show's anchored her mother goes missing, and Florida attempts to unfreeze itself after a frosty weekend. Plus your calls, dispatches, emails, text san more, Hey there Sabrina.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello, see what's happening?
Speaker 1: He hello to you. You can join us on the show today. All you have to do is send us a dispatch. Go to thenewsjunkie dot com hit record on your first dispatch today.
Speaker 2: You can also.
Speaker 1: Watch the show on YouTube and twitch dot tv. Slash the news Junkie. Your message is rolling right at the studio in real time. How's everybody doing on a MONDAYT goody good?
Speaker 3: How about you? Fella?
Speaker 2: All frosty weekend?
Speaker 1: Man? Wow, we were in the weirdest battle in my house. I don't know what was going on. We were in the weirdest battle ever where. For some reason, Courtney was just like refusing to want to turn on the heater. And she she was just anti heater. She just didn't want to do it.
Speaker 3: It felt like ten at one point, it was it was down that low. She just didn't want to do it.
Speaker 1: And then it got I looked at the ac the nest thing, and it said inside the house it was like fifty nine or sixty and my house is so well insulated that never happens. And so she goes, let's just try it and we put on the heat for a little while, despite the fact that they're texting everybody.
Speaker 3: Everybody. Yeah, they called me too.
Speaker 1: I'm like, come on, They're like, please don't turn it over sixty eight degrees in your house and I'm.
Speaker 3: Thinking, your help stop using power for the next two hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they were.
Speaker 1: Our local power company was blasting off emails about over consumption of power. And then I see our friend will talk to her. Amy Kaufelt was like her power went out, No, because too many people were juicing up because you know, they needed the heat in the house.
Speaker 3: All man, it's not something they're prepared for.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 3: Oh, we want to make this a hub for AI. No.
Speaker 1: I get look, look, I guess here's what happens. And I didn't know that this was such a big deal. But maybe maybe electric company Jesus is out there somewhere to correct me on this.
Speaker 2: If I get it wrong. I believe this is right.
Speaker 1: So everybody wakes up it's mega cold in a place where it's not usually cold Florida in this instance, right, And then everybody goes too cold to my house, gonna turn on the heater a rarity.
Speaker 2: You don't usually do this.
Speaker 1: Your h vacuumit your ac at your house, even when it's a heater, is the largest consumer of power. It's like the biggest reason for your power bill to be as expensive as it is.
Speaker 2: Right, That's where it all comes from.
Speaker 1: Then you wake up and you want to take a warm shower because so cold outside, you have to take a warm shower. So your water heater is kicking in. And then what do you want to do? You want to have a nice, piping hot cup of coffee. Right, The coffee machine takes up a whole lot of power when you use is it the toaster? You're using all of these things when it's cold that our.
Speaker 3: High energy sucks.
Speaker 1: And I guess everybody doing that at the same time made Amy kaufelt stuck in the cold.
Speaker 3: Oh Amy, what you did? Everybody?
Speaker 2: You did this, It's on you, okay, but.
Speaker 3: End up turning up your heat.
Speaker 2: Yes, we got we turned it up.
Speaker 1: It's actually a little cold in the studio today, but we turned it up and we got it in a nice, nice, uh solid sixty eight degrees. Because I didn't I didn't want to go against the wishes of the power company.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's not what happened in my house.
Speaker 3: No, you went.
Speaker 2: He went right past that sixty eight.
Speaker 3: At see you letter. I turned it.
Speaker 4: Down to sixty five before I left for work, and I go here. You can have your you can have your energy, you know, give it back to you. Some guy on on a reddit, you know, wrote some open letter to OUC and was like, stop, dude, it's it's it's kind of funny.
Speaker 3: There's so importance of redditors.
Speaker 4: Never season see stop sending me these requests to use less electricity without any financial incentive.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Honestly, that's what they should have done.
Speaker 2: Cowboy.
Speaker 1: Your incentive is you don't You're not sitting in the dark, all right, that's your incentive. That's your incentive is you're not sitting in the dark because we haven't built enough extra facilities to create a safe power.
Speaker 4: Are we totally ignoring the fact that there is financial incentive in using less electricity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm literally paying less.
Speaker 2: If you don't use the electricity. This is the gap.
Speaker 1: This is another gap, another gap that we have in society where a lot of younger people, uh, millennials and gen Z in particular millennials.
Speaker 2: My people and the gen.
Speaker 1: Z people have this thing where if a company screws anything up.
Speaker 2: Or if there's any problem with the company, you.
Speaker 1: Deserve everything, like you deserve the world. All right, You're like so angry. People were mad about that cell phone adage and they wanted hundreds of dollars and stuff because their cell phones were down for like ten hours out of a day. This is the same thing. It's like, oh, UC wants me to use less power. Haha. Well, I mean, jeez, it could be maybe maybe this appeals to you. It's better for the environment for you to use less power. It saves you money on your power bill, and you won't be in the dark. But this is I don't know, this is sort of what all came crashing together. We have a lot on what this weekend looked like. We have to go over the Iguana Lady thing because I'm enthralled by it. I can't get enough of the iguana lady thing. But let's start off as we always do. Let's put our ears of the ground, our fingers on the pulse, let's see what's happening in this great, big, wide world of ours. And you know where we're going.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: We're headed to Gobbler's Knob for the Groundhog Day situation at the Punk Satani Groundhog Club. The nerds put their hats on again. Yep, got dressed up.
Speaker 2: In their duds, did they.
Speaker 3: So stupid groundhog came out to try to see if he would.
Speaker 2: See his shadow again.
Speaker 3: Big crowd.
Speaker 2: There's always people.
Speaker 3: There's always people people there.
Speaker 1: I don't get it, but there's always people out there and they're having fun. So you know, do your thing. You're not hurting anybody. But here's here's what it was like. Let's see what went.
Speaker 3: Down here, ye here, ye hear ye. Now.
Speaker 5: On this February second, Punks to Tony. Phil, the Seer of sears Ner, prognosticator of all prognosticators, was awakened from his wintry nap.
Speaker 2: At dawn on Gobbler's Knob.
Speaker 5: Phil looked to the skies and then, speaking in ground hoggies, directed President Duncle to the proper scroll which residents duncle. It's my great honor to answer your annual call, nerds. So I rise again this morning to greet you all. But today I wait thinking of numbers and time. America turns two hundred and fifty and I'm at least one hundred and thirty nine.
Speaker 2: That was a stretch. That sentence was a stretch.
Speaker 3: And he's not there. You actually murder them and place in the next day.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they're working in AI on old pucksatani Phil's poems now that he's got he's got a scroll in front of him. So to use AI to put it on the scroll seems a little weird, but it's not unthinkable that, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like to write, write it with AI and then go old fashion by putting it on.
Speaker 3: The old all these years. No way, that's one guy's job. Very exciting.
Speaker 2: Here's pucksatani Phil.
Speaker 1: For those of you watch and you watch the show on YouTube YouTube dot com, slash the news junk. You peek into the studio, big fat ass groundhog is right there.
Speaker 5: Let's celebrate all young old babies or millennial and kick off America's semi quincentennial. We looked to having a good time just the past. So I suppose this party could use a forecast.
Speaker 2: It is my job.
Speaker 1: Oh hell oh, I mean we're five seconds away from people just trying to mob justice the groundhog. Go get him, Go after him. Get the groundhog now February two, to look to the skies and report back to you.
Speaker 3: There is a shadow here on my ground.
Speaker 2: Six more weeks of winter abound.
Speaker 3: Listener sign upside down.
Speaker 1: He has his groundhog celebration sign he put up upside down?
Speaker 3: Does the damn groundhog?
Speaker 5: Ever?
Speaker 3: Nazi his shadow?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I remember more winter?
Speaker 1: You know got I've got a I knew you were going to ask for it, so as as anticipated, I got a flip Chat.
Speaker 4: Said that the official end of winter is six weeks from February second, So the groundhog can never really be wrong.
Speaker 1: Yes, true, set the sets himself up for victory. Pucks Atoni Phil sees his shadow six more weeks of winter predicted. This says he does it every February second, stupid Groundhog Day gathering with all the nerds out there.
Speaker 2: He predicts six more weeks of winter.
Speaker 1: Forty thousand people were there. My god, forty thousand people were there. It's the one hundred and ninth time he's seen his his shadow since the tradition began in eighteen eighty seven. So he sees his shadow a lot. If that's the case, right, forty.
Speaker 4: Thousand people are there, what's the view like from the very back of that. You know, we've been to concerts, We've been to the sporting events where there's you know, fifty sixty thousand people.
Speaker 3: They have big screen and that that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like the big concert setup, you would have some big JumboTron setup screens.
Speaker 2: I don't think they have.
Speaker 3: Any of that.
Speaker 2: I think it's just this little you know.
Speaker 1: It's just nerds on a stage with top hats and they're out there like that. Toni fel see's the shadow and now now that's the norm. That's the norm. Sabrina asks, how accurate is this little bastard? How accurate is Pucksatani film? Here's what the data shows. I see the story in front of me. Noah, that's you know, the official folks grades punk Satani Phil's predictions. He's seen his shadow one hundred and nine times. It's eighty four percent of the one hundred and thirty times he's predicted the weather. From nineteen oh three to nineteen thirty three, he observed his shadow every year, making a thirty two year run of seeing its shadow every year, and is more than one hundred and thirty five years of experience.
Speaker 2: Lies.
Speaker 1: It's been like eighteen groundhogs in that time and is more than one hundred and thirty five years of experience. His overall accuracy rating is thirty five percent.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is not great for how he's had.
Speaker 1: No And then what do we make of this Woodstock WILLI predicts the opposite?
Speaker 2: All right, Woodstock Willie.
Speaker 1: Goes out and they say he got no shadow.
Speaker 3: Shadow.
Speaker 2: It's another one.
Speaker 1: It's another groundhog that they have. But in Woodstock, Willy does the opp no shadow.
Speaker 4: But does the groundhog predict just for punk Satani or the whole country.
Speaker 3: I really is.
Speaker 4: Saying like, hey, here you know in the woods, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 2: It could be.
Speaker 1: That's the town where Groundhog Day was filmed. So they're kind of trying to lay some claim to this whole thing, but not very accurate. Thirty five percent on the old groundhog, and nobody trust them anymore, I don't think.
Speaker 3: But we are in the middle of, well not the middle of We.
Speaker 1: Find ourselves in a new month. We find ourselves in February.
Speaker 3: February.
Speaker 1: They call it perfect February. This is a perfect February, so welcome to it, number one. And if you don't know what that means, that means the first starts on a Sunday, and then stretch it. It's a perfect February. Like you get the same amount of Sundays, Mondays, Tuesday, Wednesdays, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. I like that and perfectly lined up on the calendar because the first starts on a Sunday and then the end of the the twenty eighth is on a Saturday. So just it fills in for your first perfect February in a long time.
Speaker 2: I guess how toughen does that happen.
Speaker 1: It won't happen again until twenty thirty seven, Sea Lane, it will not happen again.
Speaker 2: Until twenty thirty seven.
Speaker 1: That's a while down the line, so we'll have to see exactly if we're all together on that point in time.
Speaker 2: Probably not, but.
Speaker 1: Perfect February is upon us, so everybody and enjoy. We'll talk about what the hell happened with this freeze hitting us this weekend where everybody's out there was chaos all over the place. We got the iguana Lady. We got a whole bunch for you. We'll make you laugh, cry, and probably pull some hair out today. That's the way it works on a Monday. One more thing to work in before we hit break real quick. Don't miss any of the show today, number one, but number two, Rate my Blank to Monday. All right, here's what we're doing for Rate my Blank today. We're doing another Rate my Doodle, which was successful last week where people drew sea legs a good time. Here's what I think will do this week, Rate my Doodle. The News Junkie logo. Okay, go you go to the website if you have too, the News junki dot com. Look at the the full logo. Look at the magnets. That's your best way to see the full logo. Go over to the magnet section. Look at the full News Junkie logo. The best submission today is going to go on an exclusive sticker that will give out to people for you know, different contests or whatever we're doing on the show. The best submission rate my Doodle the News Junkie logo and what do you do with it?
Speaker 3: You draw it right, make sure you draw drawn, hand drawn.
Speaker 1: Colors, whatever you want, draw it up yourself, and then submit it over on the Neewsjunkie dot com as a photo dispatch. You can go see all of these as they're coming in on the website and you know, like them if you enjoy the injury and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: So there we go.
Speaker 1: Rate my Doodle the News Junkie Logo winner will become an exclusive sticker that we give out on the show when we come back. Iguana Lady joins us, just how cold did it get? Three insane stories at the box office this weekend that a lot of people are missing on and so much more it's all coming up next than the News Junkie. Absolutely cold as hell. There's icicles on everything you could think of.
Speaker 3: Man, it was what else happened?
Speaker 1: It was wild? I mean a million things happened. What are you referring?
Speaker 3: Who's getting the big bucks? Because there were flurries, babies.
Speaker 1: There were there were there were some I saw in Well, maybe I'll have to ask Amy about like the official you know, we saw snow here and there there was snow in.
Speaker 3: Jacksonville, Tallahassee, I believe. And then I was passing by the TV. I could have sworn they said Tampa Bay had some flurries.
Speaker 2: I think they did, and Sarasota also had some.
Speaker 1: So like southwestern Florida, like the state of Florida getting snowed on, as the rest of us are just going, oh my god, what is happening right now with this weather? And when does this end? And it's it's pretty much gonna blast by us here. But I mean, I was watching it, and then I got disappointed because I went outside and I.
Speaker 2: Couldn't even see my breath.
Speaker 1: And then I was, oh, nothing happening for me because there's not enough humidity.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, I was outside, for sure.
Speaker 2: I was outside all through it.
Speaker 1: I was outside a whole bunch of times, just because I was kind of interested, especially when they they do the feels like temperature, which is mostly just a made up thing. They do the feels like temperature and they tell you it's like feels like ten right.
Speaker 2: Now, and I go, all right, let's see, let's go out here.
Speaker 1: And it was an absolutely insane experience for a lot of people that's why they were all filming themselves going, oh my god.
Speaker 4: We decided Saturday night to walk over to the neighbors for a little bit, and the way we were dressed, you would have thought we had just come from a ski resort.
Speaker 2: Like it was just like I had a scarf.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, I actually had something that I think she hasn't touched since she lived in New York.
Speaker 2: It was ridiculous. Yeah, I got I had.
Speaker 1: I went around for a while because I was like, I still want to get some steps in, and I put pajama pants underneath my pants so that the wind doesn't blow right through them and just freeze your legs out.
Speaker 2: And all these things.
Speaker 1: Are embarrassing for anybody listening in New York right now, but just you know, bear with us. We've got our own weird.
Speaker 2: Stuff going on.
Speaker 1: Because now I want to tell you I did a little bit of a bonus stream over the weekend that the streamer is unlocked and hopefully tested out a couple of fixes that maybe will make our stream more solid and not jittery today A fingers crossed. But the one thing that really grabbed my attention, and I don't think most people got it I don't think they understood what was going on. Was Florida FWC Fish and Wildlife. They they had these places where they said you could drop by these sites and if you find frozen ass iguanas, scoop up the iguanas and bring them to all these sites, and we want those cold are they gonna sun greened iguana? Green iguanas like they want that particular type of iguana.
Speaker 2: And they've never done this before.
Speaker 1: They opened up one, two, three, four, five five locations all right, five locations across the state of Florida where if you found these frozen iguanas you could grab them. And I don't think people realize number one, what was happening here, and number two how bad of an idea this could be, because there were people who were grabbing these huge you know, sabrinino what to how big these things get?
Speaker 3: The like six feet seven feet sometimes they're.
Speaker 1: Huge, right, So people were going out and grabbing these like six foot iguanas. They're frozen, you know, they're on like by the sidewalk. They've just fallen over on their side because they're frozen. But if you leave them alone, when the sun gets back to them, they'll warm up enough and they'll they'll reanimate and come back to life.
Speaker 2: And people were grabbing them.
Speaker 1: You put them in your car, and a lot of people had like their heater on and.
Speaker 6: Stuff, and then they were just so you got six foot iguana in the backs of your car and you're you're going down the road and you're about to get to a stop light and it reanimates in the back seat.
Speaker 1: It's just slailing everywhere, tails spinning at you.
Speaker 2: That's a terrible idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it just people were going, hey, I think we should leave this to the experts.
Speaker 2: Gave it that apart.
Speaker 4: I thought, just like, okay, what happens when this iguana drop off location has now had like, you know, let's say thirty people drop off iguanas, Maybe maybe many more, but let's say that they now have thirty frozen iguanas and all of them wake up at the same time. And I'm pretty sure they're an invasive speech species, right they are? Yeah, yeah, you have the thirty iguanas all in one place, they all wake up, they kind of shake off the cold and start going at it, you know, just going to town.
Speaker 3: What did you be morning if you were a popsicle just hours prior. Probably. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Here here's somebody from the one of the FWC offices. It says, recycled bin full of cold, cold, stunned iguanas brought to my FWC office in Tequesta. Uh, that's by Is.
Speaker 2: That by Jupiter?
Speaker 1: Jupiter quest I think office opens again for collection on Monday. It's open right now after executive order allows temporary collection during a cold snow and somebody went around and captured all the frozen iguanas, put them in a big old blue recycle bin and brought them to this location and just you know, here you go, here's the frozen iguanas.
Speaker 2: I don't know if many people know this.
Speaker 1: I think there's some like cuts out there, little kids and stuff going, let's get.
Speaker 2: Them all, let's help them out. That's them.
Speaker 1: It's like an they're bringing them to be exterminated. They're killing the iguanas, that's what they are doing with them. Everybody was bringing them over thinking that they would take the iguanas and like put them in them big free habitat and then the sun would hit their iguana and they would reanimately be like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm finally safe.
Speaker 2: How do you know they're killing them.
Speaker 3: They're killing them. See Lane, they are killing them. I think they answer your question.
Speaker 1: All right here here, get them out of our environment. A guana expert. We're gonna hear from the iguanda lady in a second, because she was so hilarious to me. A southfold Or iguana expert gathered dozens of motionless reptiles Sunday as the cold snaps swept through the region. Cold blooded creatures fell from trees with temperatures got too low. Jessica Kilgore, that's her name, with Iguana Solutions, she collected hundreds of.
Speaker 2: Pounds worth of the.
Speaker 1: Brainer so familiar, she's that we're expected to find many more of these iguanas. She explained that iguanas are an invasive species and should be humanly disposed of to protect the environment. Like we're not allowed to relocate these animals, so some people try to heat them up and let them go. If you do that on your own property, that's your own choice. But we also get them out of our environment and save South Florida. She said, they murder, they murder the ilanas. So there's like, I bet there's little kids going mom, let's help out let's scoop up.
Speaker 2: And then nothing.
Speaker 3: It reminds me of that viral video from years ago where they saved a little baby bunny. This family, the little girl was so excited about it, and they went to just let it free and go find its mom, which you could see in the clip. And then a hawk just swoops down and nature.
Speaker 1: Nature is just like that. This lady was something man. They wanted to interview her forever on the news. I'll give you a little bit of the iguana lady here.
Speaker 7: She is iguanas Isabella.
Speaker 8: You have quite the scene, produces to the lady standing next to you.
Speaker 9: Yes, this is Jessica. She is the iguana expert. She's picked up.
Speaker 1: Jessica's got a big ass iguana.
Speaker 2: Yea for the interview at her hand.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be right there on live TV.
Speaker 1: That iguana is kot. It has no idea what's going on. It's been frozen by the weather. It's massive, and I mean this thing is six feet long easy probably with to the tip of its tail right maybe a little maybe five foot something.
Speaker 2: It's massive.
Speaker 1: And this thing is rip like it's no longer with us, because that's what they were actually doing. But she was the happiest lady in the world. She could not have been happier. She was the happiest person to collect all of these iguanas.
Speaker 9: She said, hundreds of pounds of iguanas this morning. This is crazy. I've honestly never said anything like it.
Speaker 3: Jessica tell us, this is weird. It's a graveyard. There's there's morning news.
Speaker 1: This is like a TikTok hall sprawled out of iguanas on the ground, and they're all gonna die, all of them, every single one of them.
Speaker 2: They've said their invasive species.
Speaker 3: Bring them on in Iguana Land or Iguana World.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 3: They're not doing that apparently fun and brings up the local economy. But this just seems so We're going very lighthearted in our voices on the news. But she's having fun, gonna put them in a blunder.
Speaker 2: You see the smile on this lady's stage.
Speaker 7: Why are the iguanas frozen?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 10: Of course, Iguanas are a cold blooded animals, so as soon as it gets to freezing, we end up.
Speaker 9: Having Okay, And like I said, you've picked up hundreds of pounds worth just this morning.
Speaker 7: You told me you started at four what do you do with them?
Speaker 3: After the news? Ladies?
Speaker 1: Holding her own little iguana here again, Rip rip the iguana. It's just completely dead. This lady's like, all right, we got iguana props everywhere, pick up all these wakes up on her, just starts attacking.
Speaker 10: Of course, we contact our Trinidadian friends and that like to eat iguanas, so a lot of different cultures on us.
Speaker 3: And they eat the.
Speaker 2: Eggs, and they eat the legs, and they.
Speaker 3: Eat the tail. What is just a pile of snacks. She's out there with this mass. I would love to try that trick, filace Off.
Speaker 2: I love it. This was so great.
Speaker 3: We're just gonna call all the Trinidadians. That's right, they know what to do with it. But fine, I'll take them.
Speaker 1: You got a big giant stash of of iguanas.
Speaker 3: Here this morning, okay.
Speaker 9: And I know that you did tell me that before, and I was surprised because I said, is that in humane? But tell us about the reasons why that's acceptable.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 10: Fasive species here in South Florida, just like the pythons, the parrots and other animals killable and so we are not allowed to relocate these animals. Some people try to heat them up and let them back go. If you do that on your own property, that's your own choice. But you see did allow for people to go to a place today. If you find frozen iguanas in your yard, you can look up on f wc's website.
Speaker 3: Having a damn field Day's a bouquet of massive all up.
Speaker 4: It looks like when I have a pile of laundry in my hands that I'm carrying across the house, but instead of shirts and underwear, it's just all frozen iguanas.
Speaker 3: Take it off the phone with the trinidadiansdis.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna call them on speed dial. I'm gonna get a.
Speaker 3: Screenshot of this and I'll put it up. I'll put the.
Speaker 2: Full video up on see it now because.
Speaker 3: It's so much.
Speaker 1: We eat the legs. Look look at her face. Look at a guanda lady's face. It's so great.
Speaker 6: She's just like, yeah, mine, I'm more excited.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm putting this up so everybody can see the visual here because it is definitely an interview clip that you need to watch before the day is over.
Speaker 3: A guana lady with her haul.
Speaker 2: All right, there we go.
Speaker 1: This is up over on See It Now, hit these see it Now meenu on the Neewsjunkie dot com and you'll be able to see exactly what we're talking about here, and you'll be able to decide if you think this was a good idea or not. But I'm just not sure all the people knew that the iguanas we're going to be destroyed at some point in time. This lady is a character though. There she is right. It is again a rate my Blank Monday, Rate my Doodle edition.
Speaker 2: So you draw.
Speaker 1: Something for us and then take a picture and send it in as a photo dispatch. It's the News Junkie logo. I want to see what you got skills. Wise, draw the News Junkie logo during the show today.
Speaker 2: We'll go over them later. The winner will.
Speaker 1: Be put on a special exclusive sticker that will give out to people for various things on the show. So draw it right now for Rate my Doodle the News Junkie logo. Then go to the website. It's super easy to do. Go to the Newsjunkie dot Com. On the website, you'll see where you can hit plus image under dispatch and you can submit an image dispatch to just take a photo or whatever of what you've drawn for your rate my blank.
Speaker 2: And prestol bango. Just like that. It's up on the site with the rest of the dispatches.
Speaker 1: And you can go take a look at all the submission throughout the day, like the ones that you like. That'll help us see which ones are the most popular, et cetera, et cetera. Okay, there's a guanda lady for you. When we come back. We got to talk a bit just how cold it got out there and some of the things that grab people's attention.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're gonna see the video.
Speaker 2: I sent you, buddy, I haven't seen you.
Speaker 3: I'm waiting. I'm waiting until we come back, because it took.
Speaker 4: Me a second because I looked up the news report about it, and the news people didn't have the good angle.
Speaker 2: So I rad the video that has the drone.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll talk about all of the crazy frozen stuff that happened, you know, all over the place this weekend and into the box office where there was three crazy stories there. Amy Kawfelts joining us at the top of the hour. A very busy Monday, obviously, and it's coming up next on the news junkie. There were so many things that froze over in the weather this weekend, from orange trees out in the groves, and then the orange trees, you know, the purposely frozen a lot of the time. How about you with strawberries the orange trees too, they go out there. They did this with a bunch of the groves where they freeze them to give them like a layer of protection. God knows, I should have done that with some of my stuff, because I got a couple of plants out back.
Speaker 3: I got real beat up. Yes, yeah, elephant ears are really down and.
Speaker 1: Sad, Like I don't know if some of it's going to come back afterwards.
Speaker 2: Sure, if it's.
Speaker 1: Just totally dead for good. But there's some sad looking stuff back there.
Speaker 3: And then I see the neighbors that have, like have covered their plants, but I'm like, I don't know about the elephant ears and that purple plant that's very sad. I did end up covering with beach towels other plants, but I don't think I did it right.
Speaker 1: We did our best to cover some of the smaller stuff, but it's just been a massacre for a whole lot of people because you have stuff that's not used to this, and everybody was looking around for like the perfect representation of what frozen Florida looks like. I saw somebody got the Universal globe in a Universal Studios, the spinning globe, and there's like frozen ice coming out of the bottom of it.
Speaker 2: I was loving.
Speaker 1: Here's a representation of this. You can see on the map. It's still cold. I mean, look West Palm forty seven degrees today at Port St.
Speaker 2: Luci's forty six.
Speaker 1: As we're heading from the bottom of the top up into Orlando at forty two daytona beacher over a forty one degrees is still I mean, it's not, you know, story wise cold, but it's still quite cold. This weekend it got down into the low twenties.
Speaker 2: And see, like I got you sent this thing over. Hang on, let me bring this up.
Speaker 1: And this is like one of those good visual examples that that Florida got a little more than they were bargaining for.
Speaker 4: This one's not frozen necessarily, although when the news people came and they saw down below a lot of the water had frozen. But this video friend of mine posted on Instagram had reposted it and this was like right down the street from where I went to middle school. I guess one of the sensors on the water tower froze and failed and just opened up this like overflow valve.
Speaker 2: And just spit water.
Speaker 3: Whoa over.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's just blasting out water from the water tower.
Speaker 2: That's a good stream too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean at the bottom it's kind of snowy.
Speaker 4: It's more icy, Like all the fence and all the barb wire around the area that keeps the kids out, it's all like there's ice all over it.
Speaker 3: Oh, stop using your toilets for two hours. Looks like Florida can't handle the cold.
Speaker 1: A local water tower is spilling tons of water because the valve frozen broke open, and it's just blasting out this huge stream of water down onto everything below cold. Somebody says top comment that happened to me once. So a lot of there's a lot of images like this that kind of show what everything looked like this weekend. Again, as everybody kind of laughs at us from abroad, but this is just the truth of the matter, and there was power grid warnings all over the place again. Her friend Amy Kay who joins us in a bit her I know her power was out for a little while, and they broke records. I see record lows Daytona Beach twenty three degrees. The record was twenty four, So twenty three degrees breaking a record low. Twenty four was the record before in Daytona Beach. Leesburg got down to twenty three degrees, which ties a record in Leesburg, Florida. Sandford got down to twenty three degrees. The record in Sanford was twenty five degrees. And Vero Beach got down to twenty six degrees when the record was twenty eight degrees.
Speaker 3: So look at us, there's some.
Speaker 1: Record lows being We're putting out big numbers out there with this particular winter weather that's sliding into everybody right now. Not to Orlando, because Orlando's record was nineteen degrees back in eighteen ninety five, way back when. There are a lot of these farms that are now just like buried in frozen plants, and like here's some of the images of what today damn crops look like.
Speaker 2: I mean, what are you supposed to do?
Speaker 1: It's an entire field of just frozen plants. I don't don't even know where to start. It is like it is frightening looking.
Speaker 4: Which of the advice the the all of the advice that was given out, like Thursday and Friday, Which of the things did you guys do?
Speaker 3: We complated completely.
Speaker 2: We covered some plants and that was it.
Speaker 3: You didn't the fast drop.
Speaker 1: No, we we we said, let's risk it. I think we'll be finding up pretty new pipes.
Speaker 4: But we didn't do any faucet drops, mostly because I forgot them. But the spigots I opened up a little bit and disconnected the hoses and one of them had like a nice little ice sculpture under it. The next morning.
Speaker 1: I saw it just kind of funny, like how you can you can do the harm to yourself and enjoy it. I saw a couple of people for their kids went out outside and then took their hose and just sprayed their trees down, purposely so that the kids would go out in the morning and they'd be a frozen tree outside. Like, yeah, you're putting it on yourself, but the kids like it.
Speaker 3: I guess. There was one guy in Claremont who made snow started at like six o'clock in the morning and had looked to be like agriculture sprinklers. But you could see on the ground. Next day, full senz cool.
Speaker 4: I thought I was in trouble for a second on one thing because I got up and I was like doing some dishes and I went to use my like glass rinser and it didn't work.
Speaker 2: For a second.
Speaker 4: I was like, please tell me, this is not like frozen solid, and it just I held it down for a couple of seconds and it worked its way out.
Speaker 2: But I was like, oh no, I messed up.
Speaker 1: Should advice listen to this guy's humble brag? I thought my glass rinser was completely You're not the.
Speaker 4: First person to roll your eyes at me for telling that story.
Speaker 3: Three ice makers.
Speaker 4: The ice makers are except for the one that's been out out of commission.
Speaker 1: My bevy of refrigerators continues to run. But my glass washer was almost done for it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was going to be it was. It was going to be a heavy loss.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: It's just frozen in these fields. So I hope all the farmers out there are somehow throw this off today. Yeah, I know you guys know more about this than I do.
Speaker 2: Out there.
Speaker 1: You're the professional, so I'm sure there's something they can do. But it doesn't look great. If I'm honest with you. And then you had snow flurries reported in Florida, of course, amid the Arctic freeze. Tawahassee, Jacksonville, Williston, Alachua, Citrus and Hernando Counties. In Orlando at Central Flota, what looks like snow flurries have been reported, but they said it's more likely drizzles, sprinkles or ice pellets.
Speaker 2: That look like snow flurries.
Speaker 1: So there's they're batting down the idea that there was any actual snow flurries in Orlando, but it was all over the place elsewhere, and it was quite a thing to behold. And this is the worst I think cold snap that we've seen since the time when all the orange groves throws. So maybe go out and buy as much orange juice as you can if you're a huge fan. Right now, I'm not sure how that whole process works.
Speaker 4: I can just go into the kitchen and get some because somebody is having mimosas here today, little Monday morning mimosas.
Speaker 1: Really, you can say that, what's this celebration about.
Speaker 4: Somebody got an award something like that, They had a big meeting the Grammys.
Speaker 3: It wasn't Grammys. No, it was like some CEO club or something.
Speaker 1: I like the idea that they would celebrate other people getting awards with mimosas at a workplace and it's be like multiple people were gifted Grammys last night, so we're going to celebrate that in the office, and.
Speaker 3: We don't even know what you're celebrating, but we'll drink the mimosas real quick.
Speaker 1: A couple of emails here over on tips at the news Junki dot com. Tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. What's up, news Junkies. I'm not sure if you guys ever saw the insane iguana hunting extravaganza. We talked to an iguana hunter we did. Yeah, they can go down in South Florida. I've seen videos of this years ago on YouTube and I was shocked. These guys will take you around in the middle of the city with pelicans and it looks like full on assault rifles and you can just snipe these gin iguanas out of the trees and they fall to the ground.
Speaker 2: Some of these guys will.
Speaker 1: Have the whole back of a pickup truck full of these giants. Six foot iguana is dead look it up.
Speaker 3: Look it up.
Speaker 1: He says, Yeah, we've talked about that before. It definitely doesn't happen. Somebody else Bill emailed about the same thing.
Speaker 2: It looks like uh.
Speaker 1: And then Peter says, you missed the guanda lady discussing one of the best parts of the interview.
Speaker 2: At the very end, the anchor.
Speaker 1: Tells the reporter to wash her gloves, and the reporter said, she won't be reusing those gloves. Oh, I guess she has like winter gloves on or something. You got to You got a couple of iguana guts on there. That isn't going to be enough to stop you from.
Speaker 2: Doing anything else. You gotta get over yourself. They're not that grubs.
Speaker 3: Can you get diseases from them?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Let's see can I get from iguana?
Speaker 3: They have to bite you for the diseasers that I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think are the wrong animal.
Speaker 1: Like other reptiles, iguanas are not to carry bacterial harmful to humans. Their intestines can harbor salmonella out, but that's inside right. They're capable of spreading bacteria to every surface they touch. Body of water they jump into. Damn and curious hand that touches them, So yeah, throw.
Speaker 3: Away the gloves.
Speaker 2: Throw away the gloves. Lady, you were onto something.
Speaker 3: You said, she's gonna make food with it, and she has like five hundred m God honesty, it's a lot though.
Speaker 1: All Right, we're gonna a quick break when we come back. Here's what's happening our friend Amy Kaufel from Fox thirty five.
Speaker 2: She'll be joining us next on the show.
Speaker 1: We'll go over all the big headlines that she's been touching on and see what's happening.
Speaker 3: Also, her power went out in the middle of all of this. I think we'll talk about everything happening with Amy Kay.
Speaker 1: Then we got to talk about what's going on at the box office because there were three amazing stories buried into that, including the Milania stuff. We'll discuss the boxing match where the guy's hair got knocked off lot.
Speaker 3: We're loaded up on a Monday, and it's coming.
Speaker 2: Up next in the news Junkie.
Speaker 1: It is Monday, and it is time, our favorite time of the week. Let's welcome Amy Kawfel from Fox thirty five.
Speaker 11: She is the.
Speaker 2: Lovely Amy Kawfelt.
Speaker 1: Amy Kawfelt, how much were you freaking out when your power went out because all the power hogs.
Speaker 12: It's the worst because it was doing like the whole flicker thing where it would like flicker yeah, and then it would come back on, so it was.
Speaker 7: Like false hope and then it would flicker.
Speaker 12: Again and then false hope and then it was just.
Speaker 3: Gone nightmare block or just a couple.
Speaker 12: It was weird.
Speaker 7: It was like it was kind of hit or missic.
Speaker 12: Some of our neighbors had it, some of them didn't, But we got lucky. The P and L truck actually pulled right up to the front of the house and lifted up the box in the front and was working on it. And he was like, should be back at about thirty minutes, and I mean it wasn't.
Speaker 7: Thirty minutes is a little longer than that.
Speaker 3: But today it came back.
Speaker 4: They have a flag on your account because you are a person of local importance.
Speaker 2: That power turned back on.
Speaker 3: Better.
Speaker 12: That would be a no no because I can tell you how many hurricanes we have survived without power, And yeah, that would be a big old note.
Speaker 1: Were you getting those text messages from the power companies to Amy whereas like, hey you better dial back the power used word. Everything's like on max over drive over here. Everybody's gonna lose their.
Speaker 3: Power for text and a call slash voicemail really yeah, begging us.
Speaker 7: To stop provider Sabrina do you have Oh?
Speaker 4: Yes, they were calling everybody. We We had, you know, like friends over at the house yesterday, just kind of hanging out, staying inside, and uh like little by little everybody that was there got the phone call and the recorded message.
Speaker 1: And your actual physical person well, no, I think it's this hold on.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 13: Something and reduced power supply over the next two hours.
Speaker 12: Please do electricity use, particularly heating and their energy activity.
Speaker 1: So they just get they sent one of these around and then multiple text messages, and they were begging people like please stop using your heater, and like somebody that works.
Speaker 4: With us that I was talking to in the hallway that we that I lived kind of close to, said that they got no phone calls, and I was wondering, like, I wonder if they looked through everybody's account who currently was pulling a certain amount of power that would kind of line up.
Speaker 2: With using your heater and called all those.
Speaker 4: People and said, hey, turn your heaters off for two hours.
Speaker 2: Mind your own business.
Speaker 3: For a while. All right, and I or heat.
Speaker 12: So what temperature has everybody been keeping the house at during this?
Speaker 1: So I listened it to the people I have. I kept it at sixty eight that's what they told me to.
Speaker 7: Sixty eight for you, Sean, yea seventy.
Speaker 3: Seventy and warming pet pad for Carl uh.
Speaker 2: And what about you, Amy? Would you have it on?
Speaker 7: We kept it at seventy.
Speaker 12: I did actually take it down a notch to sixty nine or sixty eight a few times.
Speaker 7: I was like, no, I can't do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So for the time your power was out, did your house just get extremely cold or able to it?
Speaker 1: Did?
Speaker 2: I mean?
Speaker 12: And it was only for a couple hours, But it is crazy, you guys, how how cold?
Speaker 7: And it's probably too because, like.
Speaker 12: I don't know, the house is probably not as as insulated as good. Like when I look at my doors, I'm like, okay, I see the line around.
Speaker 7: It, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'll take it.
Speaker 7: You'll probably do a better job. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Mine is usually beautifully insulated and always taste the right temperature until you have like three days of the weather just not giving up on you. And that's kind of where we found ourselves and I think it's supposed to get a little bit better moving forward here, Amy, But they were legitimately people who would be watching you on Fox who saw snow like people legitimately saw snow.
Speaker 2: And like lots lots of vice.
Speaker 1: What were some of the crazier things that you saw and that had viewers sent in and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 12: Well, you guys also all the video coming in from Southern Hills farms. I think that was probably one of the most devastating that we've seen. You know, they had a situation where they intentionally put irrigation like water on the crops, like on the strawberries and the blueberries, and the fruit.
Speaker 7: Would encase the fruit.
Speaker 12: Yeah, So the idea is that you encased the fruit and it puts a protective layer of ice over it. The problem was, and this is the part that I think everybody struggled with, especially the farmers, is that we had wind gusts in the central Florida area up to almost fifty miles an hour. Water was blowing, and so what happened is the plants, the water became so entrenched over the plants, the plants then fell over fell on.
Speaker 7: The irrigation that broke the irrigation valves. Wow, it was a nice Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw one of the guys who worked at this place and he said, we hear the valves snapping in the field, and then you have to run over and we have to try to find where the snapping sound came from. And he had said he had fixed like over a dozen of them. And then as he's fixing, well.
Speaker 3: You're just playing with whack a mole and in the twenty degree weather.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's out there and he's like, you know, getting soaked, he's getting soaking wet, and he's fixes one and he goes just as I fix one, are here, boom and another one pops across the field and you've got to go chase that one down.
Speaker 2: It's such a nightmare.
Speaker 3: Are we going to see the effect of this? Are we going to be I think so out of strawberries or very expensive strawberries.
Speaker 12: So he did say that he thought the strawberries were going to be okay, the blueberries, I don't know. Yeah, So we'll see what happens. But you know that Southern Hills is just one of many farms. I mean, then we have a lot of these farms all over our areas.
Speaker 7: So I don't know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 12: I think it might be too early to tell, or maybe they're just not ready to, you know, just maybe not ready to completely give up yet and maybe hope that they're able to salvage some of it.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something, Amy, I learned something this weekend. And I don't want to come down too hard on you for this, but I can't it can't go on and said, you have an incredibly privileged dog that is just unbelievably stuck up, and you like, I let lady outside when it was twenty four degrees and Lady's like, hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you running around?
Speaker 3: Or would not have it you posted on your social media pages.
Speaker 1: I see on Amy's Facebook Mazie, her golden retriever.
Speaker 3: Amy opens the door, Mazie.
Speaker 1: Goes outside and gets just far enough to.
Speaker 2: Feel the air and goes ah.
Speaker 13: So you.
Speaker 2: Turn right back inside.
Speaker 3: Your dog is too soft, even with that beautiful but you know what full disclosure.
Speaker 7: After that video, I was like, no, you go outside and go to the bathroom.
Speaker 12: I made her go back out, and then she did actually go to the bathroom on the second one. But I feel bad because normally, I, like on a weekend especially, I would go out and walk her and I was like, I can't.
Speaker 7: I just can't do it. I'm not brave enough.
Speaker 3: I'm like, don't pick up at the poop bag if my hands are completely frozen. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: There's something very interesting about this that we all are sharing here. And it's like when when there's a hurricane that goes through Cat five does chaos damage and it causes power outjice for everybody. We all kind of as Floridians, we grit our teeth and we get through it.
Speaker 3: But when it's this cold, we're like, yeah, inside, not doing it.
Speaker 2: We didn't even lose power.
Speaker 4: And every time the door opened to let a dog out, my wife was like, I'll never be warm again.
Speaker 2: It takes two long.
Speaker 3: Oh god, very cold. Everyone wants to turn their nose to Florida, but they have not experienced the humid freeze that we did.
Speaker 7: All right, look different and you're right, yea.
Speaker 1: Even the New Yorkers were bitching and winding because their trash wasn't getting getting picked up.
Speaker 2: They were complaining.
Speaker 1: They're like the streets of Manhattan were full of trash Like, okay.
Speaker 2: You give them the trash color of days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I said, always like that.
Speaker 7: Every time I go to New York, the trash is piled up.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Number one.
Speaker 1: You guys are always like one emergency away from trash being forty feet high on the sides of the roads.
Speaker 2: It's like, that's how it works.
Speaker 3: In New York.
Speaker 1: You guys are producing a lot of trash. And then if the guys in the garbage trucks get frozen out, what the hell are you?
Speaker 3: What do you watch? I mean they had like thirty frozen homeless people, yea, and they were more concerned about the trash pick up. Huh.
Speaker 2: I think they were concerned with both of them.
Speaker 1: And then blaming like you know this new governor or mayor rather.
Speaker 2: Of New York City.
Speaker 1: Uh, not a fan of his myself, but this guy gets blamed for everything. And it's like the garbage is on the streets, whatever you have done, Madonnie.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if this is you know why?
Speaker 2: You know why?
Speaker 4: It's because he has a three syllable last name, just like Obama.
Speaker 2: You know, people just love to like shake their his mom Donny.
Speaker 1: They were getting him big time. They were even his supporters. People were like, we voted for you, but we are pissed off now. And his supporters had gathered outside of the the Mayor's mansion and some of them were upset that in the latest batch of Epstein files, Mom Donnie's mom was in there.
Speaker 2: She was one of the people that was like, yeah, or.
Speaker 12: There's one where he was like a little boy, or I think maybe.
Speaker 1: And so, like anything I Seeland had said at at one point in time, it's like, I think we've like the Epstein files are interesting, and I think everything should get released, and if there's anybody who's done anything illegal in there at all, ever, all of them round them up and and send them off the prison of the Gulag or whatever.
Speaker 2: I don't care. But also there there is a thing.
Speaker 1: That happened where it's like, if your name just happens to appear in there, yeah, then that looks bad.
Speaker 2: Only the only.
Speaker 1: Person I saw that handled it right was have you ever heard of the comedian I think Nick Depoulo.
Speaker 2: Is his name. Yes, I don't know. I what see if you can bring this up.
Speaker 1: But Nick DePaulo apparently went and hung out with Epstein and then afterwards the email that was from Nick DePaulo. Epstein had emailed and was like, Hey, such a great time hanging out with you. And Nick DePaulo is like, hey, uh yeah, we might not be hanging out with you again. You're you're a little controversial and I and uh I myself am not going to be you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna just feel this out and and keep my distance between.
Speaker 3: Myself and which is good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And look, look he's got he's got her on the record that he said, I don't want to do this anymore, although he did hang out with him, So we have it.
Speaker 2: You know, even if.
Speaker 4: There's a picture of mom Donnie's mom holding him as a baby in some of these files, there will be somebody be.
Speaker 3: Like, are you or are you not in the files?
Speaker 1: We need to know right We have our pitchforks and our torches, and we need to know right now. Oh god, what else is grabbing your attention out there?
Speaker 12: Amy kauffelts, Well, you guys, one of the big stories today is Artemis two. So this is the rocket that's going to be flying around the moon potentially on Super Bowl Sunday. They NASA did decide to move forward today with the wet dress rehearsals. So they do dress rehearsals for these rockets, right, so they want to make sure everything.
Speaker 7: I know, it sounds that.
Speaker 3: Seems like such a waste that I got it. Yeah, well they got.
Speaker 12: To make sure it works rightly important. So that's what they're working on right now. So it's they are working on the fueling at this point, and then they made that decision a short time ago that they were going to move forward with it. That was the kind of the big question of the morning because it's so cold, what are they going to do?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Challenger like being super cold and you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, the O rings.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you guys remember that was the reason that we lost the Challenger is because they got ice inside the O rings. Now they have since fixed that so that is no longer something that is of concern, but you still have to be concerned about you know, you don't want ice on the launch pad. You don't want anything that could potentially cause any promise for the rocket. So between nine tonight and one o'clock in the morning they will go through the rest of the process.
Speaker 7: There are four astronauts who will go up on this mission.
Speaker 12: If all goes smoothly, they will launch after the Super Bowl on Sunday that night. I think launch window is like in the eleven PM hour. Yes, so four astronauts. They will not leave the Orion capsule. This this rocket is not going to the International Space Station, so they will be stuck. Stuck I say stuck because they're going to be in tight quarters inside this Orion capsule for the whole trip.
Speaker 7: So they'll be gone a little over a week.
Speaker 12: This is a Mischione will go around the dark side of the Moon, a side of the Moon that we have not seen, which is kind of cool. And then Artemis three. When that happens, they will actually go to the moon. We'll finally go back to.
Speaker 1: I'm not space expert or space near it at all, but isn't this exactly what we did last time we went to the moon, like we did all we went We went around the moon first, and we did all these like teases.
Speaker 7: And so, and now technology is totally different. Seanan, You're right.
Speaker 12: It seems crazy that we, you know, in the sixties and seventies accomplished what we are now trying to reaccomplish, because it's like We've already done this, right, but but the technology has changed so dramatically. One of my favorite movies. Have you guys seen the movie Hidden Figures?
Speaker 2: I love that good movies.
Speaker 7: Kevin Costner and.
Speaker 12: And and all the all the amazing actresses who who you know, portrayed these women in history who helped get the rocket up to the moon and John Glenn anyway, it's fascinating.
Speaker 7: But but yeah, so.
Speaker 12: Now we're doing it all over again, different technology, and I will see what happens fingers crossed.
Speaker 1: The big question is who's going to win the Super Bowl next Sunday.
Speaker 7: We I'm not into this one. I'm not a big Patriots or Seahawks.
Speaker 3: Patriots or Seahawks. We need your prediction one, three, two.
Speaker 7: I guess I'll pick the Patriots.
Speaker 3: I reluctant Patriots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how you know it's going to be, right, folks.
Speaker 7: I think Drake May is cute.
Speaker 1: So all right, okay, all right, the Patriots are going to win the Super Bowl, says Amy. I'm not getting into that controversial territory.
Speaker 2: You're kidding me.
Speaker 3: I'm going with whatever gets me money from the squares that I paid. Yeah, I mean some stranger on the street.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, we have so many things to talk to you about. As always, we'll have to wait until next week. I can't believe it. I can't believe this is all.
Speaker 12: Well, next week we could be talking about the rocket launch.
Speaker 2: I'm excited Patriots winning the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: Huh she called it, folks, All right, old cutie Drake may quick quick break when we come back.
Speaker 2: Amy kauf out. She's the best of the best.
Speaker 1: You go follow her all social media platforms so you can keep up with everything going on in her world. And trust me, it's the best follow out there. Amy Kuffelt. Search for Amy Coffail the Facebook, Instagram and all the rest and watch her each morning you locally here on Fox thirty five. Good Day Orlando, Amy, Kay and the crew Joe, Joe, Joe go go go watch them every single morning.
Speaker 2: She's the best.
Speaker 3: Amy.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next week.
Speaker 7: Thanks you guys, Lody, see you soy bye.
Speaker 3: No Joe of it right, don't believe there's Ae.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think there's a Joe.
Speaker 3: Actually there is Joe, is there?
Speaker 1: There? We go quick break when we come back. We have to get to this boxing story. It's perhaps one of the best stories of the day.
Speaker 3: I can't wait.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be wild.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about that this boxing match where a guy's hair came off.
Speaker 2: His hair came off of his head.
Speaker 1: We also have to get into this exploding story about the NBC anchor Savannah Guthrie. Her mother has gone missing and now the cops are thinking that this is this is like something to fary us, like this woman is missing? Yeah, yeah, Like so what is going on here? What has happened? We're gonna start giving you the early details of that story and a whole lot more coming up next on The News Junkie. Just go to the website.
Speaker 3: If you go to the news Junki dot com and at.
Speaker 2: Magnets, you'll see what the full logo looks like.
Speaker 1: It's like the News Junkie in the newspaper icon short of sort of display.
Speaker 2: Go to the website.
Speaker 1: Look at that, and then it's rate my Blank, Rate my Doodle edition the News Junkie logo.
Speaker 2: Draw the logo for the show.
Speaker 1: And if you draw the News Junkie logo and then take a picture and submit it as a submitted dispatch, I'm gonna pick one of those and we'll make it into a special exclusive sticker for people who are listening at some point in time to win. So put your entry for rate my Blank, rate my Doodle draw the News Junkie line and then submitted as a photo dispatch over at the Newsjunkie dot com. All Right, many things to get into here, and one of them is probably my favorite story of the weekend. There was a lot going on, there was, but this boxing match. Durrell Miller is the guy's name, and his hair got knocked right off his head in the middle of this fight.
Speaker 2: This bus. I have not seen this yet.
Speaker 3: I saw the headline. I did not watch the video because I wanted to be, oh surrised.
Speaker 1: It's so great. It's I'll bring this up here it is. This is a guy j Miller. Yeah, these are heavyweights.
Speaker 2: I believe. I think they're heavyweight fighters. Let me check. He's known as Big Baby.
Speaker 3: The name among his fans.
Speaker 1: He was facing off against fellow heavyweight Kingsley Ibay at this event and he started getting popped by this fellow fighter. And here's the guy where's talking about over here, obviously the dude with the hair.
Speaker 2: For now, Jarrell Miller. You can watch this on YouTube.
Speaker 1: If you want to see this, I'll put it up on see it now for everybody else afterwards. So the boxer is in there, big boys slugging each other, and he gets popped a couple of times. Oh and right even right here, you can see something has gone wrong.
Speaker 3: There's a little too much.
Speaker 1: Scalp that is showing on this side of his head. And he has a full two pay that is on his head, but not for long, all right, a little.
Speaker 3: Firmer he starts getting it.
Speaker 1: It pops off like a like the lid of a can, like a can of soup. There's there's this has got to be at some point on purpose. Like you're boxing some guy and you notice his hair is starting to come off. You're throwing some more head punches to get that the rest of that hair gone, of.
Speaker 3: Course, but also great strategy on his you know, if this hair starts coming, you're distracting the person you're fighting, Yeah, ace to get the upper hook.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like in basketball where everybody who sits behind the hoop they like do those noise makers and shake stuff around.
Speaker 2: This is like that on your head.
Speaker 1: There's just one of them flopping around in the breeze, and this dude he got so many times until finally it ripped all the way off.
Speaker 2: It just came right off.
Speaker 3: His underneath is so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's just perfectly bald underneath. His entire head got ripped off. His hair popped right off of it. It's so funny. I'm gonna put this up on see it now, and to get a screenshot of.
Speaker 3: This right dresser that put that on fire.
Speaker 1: Come on, that's funny. Also, he won. He still won the fight, so bless him for that. He was still able to win. I'm so surprised that he was wearing like a hair piece like that in the boxing ring.
Speaker 3: Now do you think he is going to now come out to the world as a bald man or pretend like nothing happened and get some uh extra.
Speaker 7: Hair?
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: I've got to bring this up now that you said that, Sabrina, because I think he mentioned it in the interview afterwards, because they like they obviously asked him, like, you know, what happened there in the middle of the boxing fight. You had hair and then you didn't have hair very shortly after, and Jarrell Miller talked about it. Let me see if I can find him talking about Darrell Miller interview, Big Baby interview. Okay, is this stay by the dump button? Because you know he's a boxer, you might be cursing of the interview. It happens from time to time. Here he is talking about how his hair got punched off.
Speaker 3: I'll get I think he said the S word.
Speaker 2: He said.
Speaker 1: He said, I got to my mom's house and there was like ammonium bleach and some kind of shampoo. And I think he's blaming it on that for like loosen and the else.
Speaker 3: A ring of like his natural hair.
Speaker 1: It's so great, the right on the edge there's a little ring of hair left. Then it's completely bald on top where it peeled off. Like if you watch that in a cartoon, you would probably criticize the cartoon for not being realistic.
Speaker 3: Say, come on, I mean he looks great bald.
Speaker 1: Come on, yeah, you should just embrace me. He's got a good head. His head is perfectly shped.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And if anybody complains about you being bald, sir, just punch them. You're a boxer, you got the ability to do so. But uh, yeah, I can't play the rest of his interview because he curses up a bit there while asked about it, but he took it in stride. Suffice to say, I guess boxer Jarrell Miller having his hair piece punched off and a split decision victory in the ring. Go look at the video. See It Now is made for stuff like this. I'll send you on over to the website the New Junkie. Come hit the see it Now section over There so many other things to get into, but we're limited right now. We'll tell you what's coming up in the next episode.
Speaker 2: In a moment. I wanted to talk about the story.
Speaker 1: Going megaviral from the New York Times this weekend about people door dashing, and here it is. I'll give you a little bit of this. It says freedom with a side of guilt. How food delivery is reshaping meal time. And you might say this is frivolous or something. I don't think it is. I think this is a phenomenon. I think this is a generational phenomenon. I think people gen X and beyond age wise do not understand it. But this is kind of more common than you would think it would be for millennials and Gen Z people. Here's what the New York Times article says, there's pasta and the pantry and jarred sauce in the refrigerator. So what compels Keeley Reedy to keep having spaghetti with marenara delivered from the restaurant down the street for several times the cost of cooking the dish herself. It's not that the restaurant dish is particularly good, she said, quote. It's the instant gratification from her roughly fifty thousand dollars annual salary as a data processor in San Diego. Miss Reedy, thirty four years old, spends at least three hundred dollars a week on food delivery, which, by the way, is fifteen thousand dollars a year out of her fifty thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Salary plus benefits.
Speaker 1: Babe, her fifty thousand dollars five zero annual salary is withering away because she's spending fifteen grand on door dash right.
Speaker 2: She says.
Speaker 1: It's led her to socialize less, and ordering in has eaten away at her savings. She tips generously, but worries that the delivery drivers are poorly paid.
Speaker 2: It continues.
Speaker 1: I feel reliant upon it, she said, but guilt for using the delivery food delivery service. Food delivery, which skyrocketed during the pandemic, is a practical necessity, has become even.
Speaker 2: More entrenched in recent years. Is a convenience.
Speaker 1: Three out of every four restaurant orders are not eating in a restaurant, all right, that's what's happening in twenty twenty four and beyond.
Speaker 4: I ate in a restaurant the other day, and I felt weird about it.
Speaker 3: Really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, used to door.
Speaker 3: Dashing as much as these people are.
Speaker 4: Like for breakfast, I'm used to either grabbing, drive through, grabbing like uh, grabbing, grabbing and going as opposed to just like I had some time, I was like, I guess I'm gonna sit down in the Einstein's here and just eat at the restaurant.
Speaker 2: I felt odd.
Speaker 1: I got to give you this part of it because this was my favorite part of this article about this gay couple. It says the message has a special resonance for the working parents we heard from at The New York Times. Between raising two young boys and putting in long hours at a marketing job in Atlanta, Kevin Caldwell can almost never find time to make dinner, so he and his husband spend about seven hundred dollars a week to order in food.
Speaker 2: All right, just for those.
Speaker 3: Of you do in the matt that's three thousand.
Speaker 1: Dollars a month that they're spending to order in food. He says, you have a chef. At that point, you're getting close to it. You're thirty six thousand dollars a year in somebody's salary. He says, I'm so burned out and tired. I would rather just throw my credit card at the problem and delay that unhappiness until the bill comes. Here's the tidbit that I absolutely loved. His four year old son doesn't read yet, but he can put together an order on the Chick fil A app, said mister Caldwell thirty nine. I'm impressed, he said, but also terrified. He frets about the waste he's creating with delivery boxes and bags. He's frustrated by the rise and cost of ordering in even though he'll often pay extra to get faster service, and he misses entertaining guests as often as he once did. His former dining table is just collecting dust, he said. And so this New York Times piece just interviews all these zoomers and millennials who are spending significant portions of the amount of money that they make of their annual salary on all these uber eats or door dash deliveries. And it's wild and on some level, like, I'm a little I'm a little split on this because on some level, if you go out.
Speaker 2: And earn your money, I don't care.
Speaker 1: How you spend your money. I don't I do not care how you spend your money. Make yourself happy. This is an amazing thing that we all get to experience together. We're living life. Our hearts are beating many of us, our brains are moving some of us, and we're kicking along through this adventure called life. And if you want to spend your money on some weird stuff that makes you happy, you want to collect weird things, do whatever you want to do. On the other hand, I bet the Venn diagram of people who spend three thousand dollars a month on ordering in all of their food and people who complain about how tough the economy is is a circle. I bet this is a circle of people who are like, oh, it's so expensive out there. Anyways, I'm spending about twenty to thirty percent of my salary on door dash. That's craze to me. Like the lady is ordering spaghetti that she doesn't even like from down the street, folks. And somebody said, hang on, I gotta put this back on. Somebody said, hey, look I look down the road. Here at a grocery store. From this lady, you could get a thing of little guini for a dollar twenty five, a whole box of laguini. You could get a thing of garlic pasta sauce for two forty eight.
Speaker 2: And you can get some grated.
Speaker 1: Parmejan the most expensive thing, for seven dollars and ninety four cents. And you can make a whole bunch of spaghettis okay, or you know, a fetaccini in this case with whatever was. You can make the food at home. You can actually do it yourself. And here's the crazy thing. The one woman who complained about this talked about or was like admitting to this, talked about instant gratification.
Speaker 2: I think it would probably be faster to make it on your own at one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: Yes, you got to boil some water and put the noodles in there for maybe a couple of minutes or something while you heat.
Speaker 2: Up the pasta sauce and put a little.
Speaker 3: Bit of grated cheese on top of it.
Speaker 1: You're getting it faster than this without spending fifteen grand a year.
Speaker 2: I mean unless the.
Speaker 4: Pasta place that she's getting this food from is like next door to house and the restaurant themselves is delivering it. But no, she's They're specifically saying door dash, so somebody has to accept this fare, show up to the place, get the food. I mean, you could definitely make spaghetti in that amount of time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got to be thirty minutes, and you could easily do that yourself, so it's not any more convenient. It's not really what she was suggesting that it's instant gratification that's pushing all of this. Let us know what you think about this and tell us how bad it.
Speaker 2: Is for you.
Speaker 1: What level of spending are you at with these things? Send a dispatch over at thenewsjunkie dot com right now when we come back the next episode with Sabrina. What's coming up on the next episode?
Speaker 3: What's coming on the epode? Deftone sell their music catalog, while Napster becomes the new home of Juicy Sticky AI slop Yay, the Epsteine File Fairy drops some more fairy ducks and involved some celebrities who lost followers and Elon who lost this pacifier, plus the Grammys, Baby a Mess, a little political, half naked beber, and a full confused share. Need I say no more? Oh, that's so much more coming up on the next episode.
Speaker 2: And that is coming up next.
Speaker 1: Send the news Junkie Rate my blank for today is rate my doodle, and you just draw the news Junkie logo.
Speaker 2: Go to the website.
Speaker 1: If you don't know what it looks like, click magnets and you'll see what all the magnets for Game of Magnets looks like. And then draw the logo and the best one will be turned into an exclusive sticker that will be given out to people who hang out with the show. So I want you to be drawing that doodle along. Rate my Doodle, do the news Junkie logo, and then go to the news Junkie dot com upload it as a photo dispatch. All right, we'll check those out in a bit. Right now here we go, Let's get into it. Let's do the next step episode because.
Speaker 2: There's a lot on TV.
Speaker 14: You can't possibly keep up with all of it, even though you should, because what else are you gonna talk about?
Speaker 3: Oh? Hell, no's nice.
Speaker 14: It's time for the next episode with Sabrina Hey.
Speaker 2: Small weed, hold up.
Speaker 3: The next episode brought to you by that mortgage guy Don. That mortgage guy don dot com. That's his website. When you go there, bam baby, Very easy to navigate through, chuck full of information for you making big life decisions like refinancing that beautiful home yan, perhaps looking at your first dream home, starting a business, trying to expand that business. Work with someone who's got your back, who made the process easy. Compare your quote today, don't miss the boat or get a first quote ever, and know that you're working with someone who's got your back. And that, my friends, of course, is that mortgage guy Don don't miss the vote.
Speaker 15: Martgage guia dot com.
Speaker 3: It was a mirror sixty two years ago, nineteen that's not the right meth at all. It was so many years ago, nineteen ninety eight. That's not right. Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 1: I mean it's twenty twenty six now, so how many years ago was nineteen ninety eight?
Speaker 3: I don't like to do math with that. Paper and pennata calculating.
Speaker 1: Nineteen ninety eight is two years under two thousand, yes, and if it's twenty it's twenty twenty six right now?
Speaker 2: Howenty years eight? There you go, gradually.
Speaker 3: I'm done with my little bit. Wow, it was twenty eight years ago, nineteen ninety eight. The company behind the Psychic Friends Network.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was big.
Speaker 3: They filed for bankruptcy protection on this day one and for infomercial industry expert. I wonder how he's doing these days, commented, all this could have been avoided if they called their own phone line.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 3: Was miss Clear part of Psychic Friends Network? Or did you ever let me see?
Speaker 2: I'll find out it's okay. You don't have to.
Speaker 3: Let's just hope for the best for everyone out there. Congratulations, Grammys, you.
Speaker 2: Did it kind of she was Psychic Reader's Network. Yeah, it was like a competitor or something. Competitor.
Speaker 3: We had the Grammys. I watch two seconds of it. It got weird.
Speaker 2: I watch a little bit of it.
Speaker 3: I saw some of their outfits. Yeah, it seemed like there was a theme going on that everyone knew about except for us. A lot of black and white. I felt like it was a wedding dress esque and then Chapel Roane's nipples held up everything. I mean, it was one wrong move. Someone's stepping on that dress and it would have been Chapel's pepperonis everywhere.
Speaker 2: Don't people hate her now?
Speaker 1: I feel like the tide is turned on the Chapel Roane lady.
Speaker 2: But I'm not telling what.
Speaker 3: They don't hate Pink Pony Club because you hear it everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's a really catchy song. It's a good song actually.
Speaker 3: All the time. So bad Bunny was the big winner of the night. He got Album of the Year and I did see the clip when he finally the name was called. He kind of just sat there.
Speaker 2: Like froze and the longest ten seconds.
Speaker 3: But there was the only person surprised. I think everybody else was like but then he was there for a long time like can someone go check on him? And then he stood up and he accepted his award. He also made history for winning Urbana as well, the Urbana Award and I'm not it's the point of the night where he decided to say his two cents about ice or yellow native language. It was very emotional for everybody, including a half naked Beaber. I don't know if you saw that. He stripped his set down. Literally he was just singing in boxers. Do you know what?
Speaker 2: I only saw photos. I didn't even hear him.
Speaker 1: Did he didn't hear him singing or anything, or we just know that he was shirtless.
Speaker 3: It was just shirtless and pantiless. Lady Gaga added some energy and we'll call it and Ozzy Osbourne was honored with another heavy metal tribute, this one with post Malone, with the very skinny Sharon and Kelly watching from afar.
Speaker 2: Yeah and super different, Yeah, big time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's when when there's a thing that happens when if you're if you're beautiful to begin with, and then you get a whole bunch of plastic surgery. Then it's like, wow, okay, look at this person there.
Speaker 3: But Kelly's so giant, it's all so skinny. It's not great, but they're having a good time. Right then. When I tuned in, it was like it seemed like American Idol when they have the finale and they just have everyone doing their songs. I did not understand what was going on, but I guess they have all the new artists do their their bits before they give out the New Artist Award. Yeah, I who was the guy that got lifted up in the air? Poor poor dude. I could tell him immediately he was having some in ear issues.
Speaker 2: Was it Alex Warren singing the ordinary?
Speaker 3: Yes, always trying to rip off and it sounded good post that, Yeah, that's the one I saw, yea go ahead that it was like in that weird double relay and.
Speaker 1: The thing I saw he was posting the audio of him missing notes and he's just like, oh God.
Speaker 3: Because it was all double tracked in his head. But you know, no one else would have known. So I congratulated that song.
Speaker 2: Was that new? I thought?
Speaker 4: I thought the song's been around for a while, so maybe it must have been released, like, you know, the day after the last Grammys or something like that.
Speaker 3: Well, not everyone was caught up. We'll say, and what year it is? Or who's alive and who's dead? To that I bring you share Cher just got a little bit confused if you believe in life after love or love after life. They brought her out near the end of the show to give her a Lifetime Achievement Grammy, and she had to introduce the nominees for Record of the Year after giving a heck of a speech about perseverance, and she dipped off the stage and someone said, hey, wait, share you still gotta present the award.
Speaker 2: It was very awkward.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I knew the clip shown.
Speaker 2: And the Grammy goes to, she's just staring at the screen.
Speaker 3: You got it? Oh, they told me it was going to be on the prompter.
Speaker 1: Scandalope, she thought it was on the prompter and instead it's on like the it's in the envelope in.
Speaker 2: Front of Oh.
Speaker 3: The Grammy goes to Luther grand.
Speaker 2: And Luther grandose something.
Speaker 3: Like that, Luther Vandros who is he is long gone? Who actually won it was Kendrick, Lamar and Sizza.
Speaker 2: For the.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was gonna say, how did you get number one? How did you get Luther Vandrow out of that? But then number two? Doesn't she like bang rappers?
Speaker 3: Still? I feel like, yeah, I think it's a dancer that she's been with for a while.
Speaker 1: Really, some young guy right Like I thought maybe that person would keep her a little more hip to what's going on, but maybe not.
Speaker 3: Yes for their song Luthor. Kendrick also won five Grammys for the Night and has overtaken Jay Z as the most decorated rapper.
Speaker 4: Wait wait, the song is not called Luther Vandross called oh yep, oh yeah, that is a mess up.
Speaker 3: Yep, Justin Bieber, I told you half naked boxers and socks.
Speaker 1: On a technicality, does Luther Vandross now get an award?
Speaker 3: I mean he's been dead for quite some time. Sabrina Carpenter angered whom fill in the blank by using a live dove during her performance of Manto. It is correct. She also got snubbed pretty bad and they kept just pointing the camera at her as she clapped. Everyone else who want so happy?
Speaker 2: Yeah she does?
Speaker 3: Yeah, great time. Donald Trump says that he will and I quote, have some fun suing the crap adder Trevor Neer. We're talking about the Epstein Island Bill Clinton joke and something like that. So I guess he did watch.
Speaker 1: I have the joke that he said he's gonna sue it for you want to hear it? Yes, yeah, here it is. And I was surprised that he took issue with this. I was like, Trevor, Noah is at least trying to smack both sides a little bit.
Speaker 2: Here is all the year. Congratulations Billy Eilish.
Speaker 11: Wow.
Speaker 1: So Trevor Noah was just like in the audience a lot. I think he was like rolling around and doing his thing.
Speaker 16: Me that every artist wants almost as much as Trump wants Greenland, Okay, which makes sense. I mean, because Epstein's island is gone. He needs a new one to hang out with Bill Clinton.
Speaker 1: So he put the Bill Clinton part in there, like alright, fine, you know Bill sides. Yeah, they'd go like, okay, at least he wasn't just doing what you would expect and just shooting out of one barrel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So he truth out tweeted out one of those things, and a stark warning to Noah that other TV channels and presenters hadn't fared well against his legal might. Ask Little George Slopolis or whatever he calls him, uh and others how that all worked out? Also, ask CBS get ready to I'm going to have some fun with you President DJT brutal. It is yet to uh respond to that.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it.
Speaker 1: Might be tougher because it's a joke, you know what I mean. It's for sure, Okay, he has and he's been successful he's been mopping the floor with a lot of these media outlets that he sued. But this is just blatantly obviously a joke, and I think that that would be nearly impossible to win, you'd think.
Speaker 3: But here we are. I'll keep my eye on it, fellas. And finally I'll leave you with this. We're done with the Grammys, and now we go to Michigan State Police, which had quite the weekend when it came to chasing down a runaway many donkey named Dolly Parton. Donkey Dolly Parton now safe and sound and making its way to the next episode. Because I love Dolly Parton and I kind of like donkeys too. Congratulations on the book two. We have American Idol Auditions on ABC, super Bowl Greatest Commercials on CBS, Peacock NBA Monday with the Pacers, the Grizzlies, Rockets, Timberwolves have Fun. Yeah, all right, that sounds just like it. If you ask me, do you want to go?
Speaker 2: It's not annoying.
Speaker 1: Tell you about Oh my god, that's yeah, that's accurate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, I just talent. Thank you. Also, Don Lemon will be on Camill Follow Your Dreams of Me on Instagram mats of rain Abro Most importantly it with me at Picock Smoke.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Sabrina, I will said, thank you Don Lemon for some of this.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: I wanted to bring you here under arrest.
Speaker 1: Because you were talking about the Dolly Parton story. Did you did you guys see this one? This was I think this was out of Florida. I gotta make sure perfect. I talked about this on the Bonus tream that I did on Sunday. But in Ruskin, Florida, these this, these cops came across this mini horse and yeah, it looks just like Sebastian and they and they like went and rescued the mini horse, and the cops like, oh man, I love my job. And she just ran down. I don't know where I'm supposed to go right now. But they rescued this one, so I guess there was multiple horses rescued during the.
Speaker 2: Weekend like this.
Speaker 3: What a time to be alive.
Speaker 1: All right, quick break, when we come back, I want to fall too far behind time wise here. When we come back, we'll get to what happened at the movie theater this weekend. Also a full rundown on Savannah Guthrie from the Today Show, her mother missing the house deemed a crime scene.
Speaker 3: What's happening?
Speaker 1: Will dive in that's coming up next in the News Junkie. A lot of stuff to get into here is the show rolls on in a Monday. It's a really busy, busy day out there, and I want to talk about what's going on with the lady from the Today Show and her mother because it's a really bizarre story. But first let's go to the box office because I haven't hit on that at all, and I think there are some interesting stories from the box office. Looking at the box office numbers this weekend. The movie Send Help, which I told you about. That was the one with the woman and her boss that she hates getting a plane crash and then they're on this island and they kind of hate each other.
Speaker 3: That's the Evil Dead director.
Speaker 1: Yeah, horror comedy, and you know, I think it's more for women than men, but I think it was it was fun like it was a fun time. That got number one with just under twenty million dollars this weekend, which I love. This is like story number one out of this box office thing this weekend.
Speaker 2: I love to see this because this is.
Speaker 1: Not some big Hollywood several hundred million dollar production. I happen to want to myself support these medium to smaller budget movies with somebody who has an artistic vision and wants to do something different and not everything is about like another comic book movie with a bloated budget or a megalopolis or something.
Speaker 2: I reject that.
Speaker 1: I'm not try to spend my money on that personally, and so I'm excited to see when these movies like this overperform and send help. Definitely did that. Speaking of over overperforming, this second movie second place at the box office is Weekend is perhaps a bigger story. This is from a YouTuber who neither one of you Sabrinas that I've probably even heard of before, but he's a big YouTuber.
Speaker 3: His name is Mark a Plier, and Mark Marketplier.
Speaker 1: Is a like a YouTuber who does reactions and plays games, and Dylan watched.
Speaker 2: Him a million years ago.
Speaker 1: I don't know if he does anymore, but he's like this. This Uh he's from I think it's from England or made Ireland is over over the pond and he is a major YouTuber and he had this dream to make this movie called Iron Lung. And he did this Iron Lung movie on his own independent and got it into theaters and it nearly got number one at the box. Say, he got into three thousand theaters this weekend, and his YouTube fans were rallied up by this guy to make it the number two movie just by that much at the box in the difference in take seventeen mil for his movie Iron Lung. This YouTuber's movie Iron Lung got seventeen million, and then from seventeen point five to eighteen million somewhere in that range is what the first place movie got.
Speaker 3: Right now, was this movie any good?
Speaker 1: I don't know, but it's like a well, let's see if people like that.
Speaker 2: Hang on, let's see if.
Speaker 4: This is a free domestic then because I mean, I'm seeing you got twenty one and a half mil.
Speaker 1: Maybe it went up. Maybe because this is probably from early Sunday Rotten Tomatoes.
Speaker 2: Iron Lung.
Speaker 1: That's the name of the movie that this YouTuber market a Plier made, which is just crazy. The guy came up with an idea and made a movie, a horror sci fi movie, and got it into theaters. Critics have the movie at fifty four percent but who cares about them?
Speaker 2: Literally?
Speaker 1: Literally, who cares about any movie reviewer ever in the history of ever. The popcorn meter, which is what you should care about. The audience in the verified scores eighty nine percent, which is pretty good. That's pretty good. Now that's not the end all be all. It's got a thousand ratings. I wouldn't put that down as gospel. You could have just his mega supporters saying it was the greatest.
Speaker 3: Movie I've ever seen, and I'm getting a vibe.
Speaker 1: I and then then people watch it and they go, I actually don't know this guy, so I didn't like it as much. It says the stars are gone, the planets have disappeared. Only individuals aboard space stations are starships were left. To give the end a name, the quiet Rapture. This sounds like a bucket of air. That's what it sounds like. It sounds like the famous short story a bucket of air. But it's just a quiet rapture. I thought this, no's it's just it's an old story.
Speaker 4: I thought this was some insult that I had never heard of, Like, ah, this, this whole thing sounds like a bucket of air.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it's called look up a bucket of air.
Speaker 1: See if that's I got that right. After decades of decay and coming infrastructure, the consolidation of Iron has made a discovery on a barren moon designated at five and it's like about a space drama horror. It's called Iron lug A pail of air, A pail of air, A pail of air.
Speaker 3: It's just this one.
Speaker 1: The story sounds similar to that to me. But this guy market pliers YouTuber. It just went fully independent, and that's so awesome. We're living at a day and age where you can become the best selling musician in the United States of America with cheap equipment that anybody even on a McDonald's salary, can afford to record in your bedroom.
Speaker 2: You can make it on the charts.
Speaker 1: You can make it on the radio because the charts in Spotify will grab the radio station's attention, and you can there's nothing holding you back. You don't need a record company, you don't need a bunch.
Speaker 2: Of suits to back you up. You can do it.
Speaker 1: And now we're seeing breakthroughs at the box office, which is that that's the unheard of thing, like you can't fund and do your own movie and and make it into the theaters and compete with these Hollywood outlets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can.
Speaker 4: The last time we talked about this, like the possibility of this happening, it was really just kind of it was kind of a loophole because during COVID there was that guy who you know, just created a short film and put it in theaters, so would be the number one movie because nobody was going to theaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's so interesting that these gatekeepers are being knocked down, and I am absolutely here for it. I love that as much as I could love anything. I want creativity to win. I want what wins with audiences to win, and I don't want any suit and some building somewhere who's head of a record label or a movie distribution platform or whatever to hold you back from pulling that off. No excuses, baby, no excuses. In twenty twenty six, still you got to be a famous YouTuber to really break through. But you get what I'm saying. The third movie, also an interesting story in and of itself, was Melania, the documentary about the first Lady of the United States of America, bringing in eight point one million dollars in its first weekend in theaters.
Speaker 3: Didn't it lost a lot of money a lot.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the thing.
Speaker 1: First of all, that is a major over performance documentaries. As much as I love them, sometimes I feel like I'm the only one. Documentaries do not tend to do very well in theaters. People do not go to the theater and support documentaries. In fact, if I bring up box office Mojo, number one opening weekend at the box office for a documentary, which is interesting, what goes in this and what doesn't go in this?
Speaker 2: But justin Bieber, never say never.
Speaker 1: Fahrenheit nine to eleven, which I remember when this came out, Yeah, that was big and people were like, oh, this is Michael Moore is taking on George W.
Speaker 3: Bush. And people literally went to the theaters and it was either that or you have to order the DVD.
Speaker 1: Right, No, no, not for Far nine nine to eleven. It opened up in theater. I went to watch it in theater because I like documentaries that much. This is it is the third biggest opening weekend that Michael Jackson's right, right, Michael Jackson, Yeah, one direction This is Us is number four for opening weekends. Chimpanzee a Walt Disney documentary is number eight, and then right by not number eight, number one, two, three, four, five, and number six. All time opening weekends for a documentary will be this Millenia movie that just opened this weekend at one thy, seven hundred and seventy eight theaters. Amazon paid I forgot how much. They said, though forty million. You have thirty forty million dollars for it, and then they paid another tens of millions to market the movie. So it's not in the money right now, but it's a documentary and it really did well.
Speaker 3: Consider Amazon's bid of forty million is the highest price ever paid for a documentary.
Speaker 1: And then they spent I believe at least twenty million plus on marketing the movie. So they have put money into this. Will they ever get that out?
Speaker 2: I have no idea.
Speaker 1: But here it is over on Tomatoes, the Millennia documentary, which is obviously going to be controversial. Again, you have a split. The reviewers put it at ten percent. I just looked this up and the tomato meter seems to have gone. I have nine percent. Really mind says ninety nine the tomato meter on it did it just went? The reviewers continue big surprise the movie reviewers don't like the Millennia documentary. Okay, big surprise the audience. The audience is rating this at ninety nine percent. This quite obviously, like so many other documentaries that end up in the theaters, is just political. It's like the Fauci documentary. It's like anything else, and people will go out much as they will for something like a religious movie. But they said, though, Brett Ratner, Brett Ratner is actually he's done some good stuff.
Speaker 3: First, since the school Radner was behind the Rush Hour movies.
Speaker 1: That's not what I remember remembering for the Horrible Boss movies. He did The Revenant, which I think is Leonardo DiCaprio.
Speaker 6: Or he does not bang a bear war dogs, and I thought there was something else did.
Speaker 1: So he's done a bunch of these movies over the years, and he was the one who was behind this Milania movie for whatever reason. And the audience was seventy two percent women over fifty five years old. It was mostly older women going to see this movie and supporting the Milania docuseries, and that popped up big.
Speaker 2: There was a lot of reaction.
Speaker 1: Then people said, look, I've found here's some other stuff in the rundown here on this Millennia documentary, I found that there was free tickets plus fifty dollars the Craigslist ad offering cash to anybody willing to sit through the Millennia documentary. Most of these are fake and people put these up on Craigslist just to fool people and then have these stories reported. A lot of people just openly rooting against it, like two movies that beat Malania at the box office revealed over on the Daily Beast, instead of just saying what one at the box office? It was like two movies that beat Milania at the box office revealed, like, hey, you know, there's more to life than just the politics of it all. I think the second place movie, the YouTuber thing, is a super interesting story, and I think that's way more interesting than any Milania documentary. On SNL they panned this thing. Big surprise over there, they said, this week a documentary about Malania debuted in theaters. It's titled titled Wicked for Real. Malania was directed by Rush Hour director Steven Brett Ratner. And then they showed a scene from Rush Hour saying do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth? And then you can't understand what Malania says. Very funny stuff. And then they said, in addition to a fancy launch, yet now you're spoiling it, and an additional face multiple allegations, I don't want to spoil Malania for you, a sexual assessive announcement in twenty seventeen. Ratner has also popped up in the Epstein Files. That was one of his issues because he popped up in some photos in the Epstein Files that were released over the past day. And I think they said at some point, like the movie didn't do well at the box office, which isn't true.
Speaker 3: Did the documentary didn't think it was the pre sale is what people were writing about. Yeah, like, yeah, people weren't buying tickets to go see it, but obviously some do well.
Speaker 1: They said most of it was walk up, so it was actual people like walking up to go see the movie and buy tickets for it. I think a lot of people just didn't want it to do well.
Speaker 3: It's like, okay, why some scenes involved up to eighty crew members, which I imagine documentary it's a lot. Yeah, and there were twelve crews in DC. During the inauguration, Amazon employees were told they cannot opt out of working on Malania for political reasons. Two thirty of the New York production crew staff asked to be omitted from the credits. Oh really, they said.
Speaker 1: We found two theaters was sold out Millennia open day screening. So Wired is like Wired magazine is going in to try.
Speaker 2: To figure like, where are all these tickets going? What's happening here?
Speaker 3: Brought those up. There were some theaters that were like twelve seats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was.
Speaker 3: There was theaters that people were is a big success.
Speaker 1: We started on some I didn't tell you hello, according to the projection, oh my god, screaming. The Twitter video just started yelling at me, let me refresh this. There were a couple of stories that went viral, and most of them were not accurate. One was this doesn't look suspicious at all, and it was an entire row of seats that was purchased for the Milania documentary in this theater and no other seats were sold, which I'll admit, that looks suspicious. That looks like you just bought a row of seats and nobody's gonna actually go and watch the movie. But someone else followed up and said the theaters a broken row of seats. There's like all of messed up row of seats at that particular theater, which is why those were knocked out. And actually there weren't any tickets sold in that particular theater, but in markets like Boca Ratone and other places.
Speaker 2: I guess it did well.
Speaker 1: Now that guy that just screamed at me Brian Stelter over on CNN here, he istory is.
Speaker 3: A big success.
Speaker 8: We're going to get official numbers from Amazon later this morning, but already, according to the projections that are circulating in the film industry, this is the number one documentary in terms of box office ticket sales in about a decade. This documentary is another example of the red blue divide. We've seen ticket sales be a whole heck of a lot stronger in Republican stronghold areas than we have in big blue cities, of.
Speaker 3: Course, and that is inevitable with the production like this that you're going to see.
Speaker 2: I would be surprised if it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then here's the BBC story to wrap up the rundown, says Melania director Brett Ratner was pictured cuddling woman in the Epstein Files and this is I guess that the director who did all those movies and did the Lania documentary, and then he's they've got this woman that he's got his arm around with Jeffrey Epstein, and her face is blocked out. So I don't know anything more about it, just says Ratner, who directed the Rush Hour films and X Men and the Last Stand can be seen sitting on a sofa beside the late sex offender Jeffrey Epstein and two women whose identities have who have been obscured. This is in those millions and millions of files that have that have been dropped. I'll get a little further.
Speaker 3: Into that at some point in time, a little further down the road.
Speaker 1: He was also part of the me too thing, like his name was coming up in during a lot of the lot of the things I mentioned that. I mentioned that he had accusations against him in twenty seventeen in the in the article that I was reading there, and then obviously timing not great with the Epstein stuff coming out in his photograph, wrapped up in that I don't know much about him, and I would this is not something for me, like I'm not going to watch a documentary about Milania, just like people were trying to counterprogram by spiking Michelle Obama's documentary up on the Charge on Netflix. I'm not watching that either. I love documentaries. Those are the two least interesting I think I've heard of in a very long time. But others disagreed. And it was a successful movie at the box office at least so far. Oh, somebody sent an email about that and they said, make sure you look at this all right. It says just some normal, non cult folks going to see the Milania movie.
Speaker 2: And it's a photo says some of our church ladies at the new movie Milania.
Speaker 1: Then include, boy, why are they all wearing the same outfit? Is that an outfit the Millennia wear or or something?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Is it? I don't know. I don't know that much about her. They're all dressed up wearing the same outfit to go go see the movie. So there you go. Thank you for that email.
Speaker 1: Appreciate that the additional context as welcome quick break. When we come back, we'll get into this Savannah Guthrie situation. This is kind of spiraling right now. If you don't know she is the host or what are the hosts of the Today Show. Savannah Guthrie been around for a while and her mother is missing, And what did they say about her mother's house?
Speaker 2: Did they say it was a crime scene? They said they're considering it a crime scene.
Speaker 1: Now they're considering the house a crime scene. So does that give us an indicator on do they think she's dead or do they think she's been kidnapped or do they adult nap do they think I don't know what they're saying from that, they're saying that they think a crime took place, Yes, at this house. We've got a whole rundown on what's happening with Savannah Guthrie's mom in this mysterious situation with her that is coming up next.
Speaker 2: Something to use, junkie.
Speaker 1: Just make the announcement, all right, the people who are programming the anti super Bowl halftime show, I know it's Jars of Klass.
Speaker 3: I don't in the announcement as soon as the show starts.
Speaker 1: Did anything happen there with that? Although I'll bring up the website. I think it was like turning points.
Speaker 4: Something yeah, tp USA or something AP said at some point that they were like, no, we're keeping the lineup a secret.
Speaker 2: Until showtime, which is so stick. It sounds like you don't have a lineup a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that that makes me think that you don't have something that's going to rock anybody's world over there.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 3: Do you think that people have been asked already and they said no? And why haven't we heard from them yet?
Speaker 2: I have no idea. I don't know what they're planning on what they're doing.
Speaker 1: It says performers and details coming soon, and then I don't think anything has been updated.
Speaker 3: I'm just double you remember Ice Panda? Possibly?
Speaker 2: Wait is this it old on? I got to make sure this is real.
Speaker 1: This is from today they have announced it. I've got the line I got the lineup.
Speaker 3: Wow, I'm sorry, Rock.
Speaker 1: Rock Kid, Rock Brandley, guilt Er Lee, Bryce, and Gabby Barrett. Not a jar of clay to be seen. Unbelievable here Randy Gilbert, Bryce, I think I think those are country people or something. Gabby Barrett. I don't know them, but they're going to be performing at their their counter programming for the halftime show. And they didn't get it on like a network or anything.
Speaker 3: I don't think they're streaming channels. It's gonna be on TBN whatever that is, and Daily Wire.
Speaker 4: And like a bunch of Yes, Trendy Broadcasting Network is the religious network, okay, and Hurting Point sort of considers themselves. I mean, some of these people just call themselves network. These days, you just throw network on there, the junkie network, right. I hate this, but like, I want real competition for the Super super Bowl. I don't think this is going to do it.
Speaker 1: I don't think this is If there was something where they said, hey, it's on another channel that everybody can tune too, and here's what they're offering up and it's like some actual, really big performers that would go right away. I think that they would pull a giant chunk of the audience away. And I think that would not the majority or anything, but I think they'd pull away a big number of people if they had a good competition going on.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm kind of torn because we were talking about this last week and there was no lineup and they were saying they're not going to say what the lineup is until showtime, and you go, that sounds like a disaster. I kind of wanted to tune in on a side screen just to see this be a disaster. Now that we have a lineup, I'm kind of not interested in tuning in care Rock.
Speaker 3: After people were like checking up on it. I mean, I think that it as the super Bowl weekend came to a bit of more of a close range, A little part of me thinks that they were hoping everyone forgot about it and they were scrambling this weekend and they found they found for artists. That's great.
Speaker 1: Kid Rock is not as this has got to be a whole thing to put together. I imagine that there's what they.
Speaker 3: Should do is get a damn super Bowl commercial. Well, is it not in front of a crowd. You gotta have a crowd. I don't know where.
Speaker 2: It doesn't say where it's gonna be.
Speaker 1: That's why I thought, like, you would want this to be at a crowd, and then that that would be a part of the shot as well.
Speaker 2: But I don't think that they're going to be doing that.
Speaker 1: The All American halftime show is the counterprogramming would have been the most hilarious thing in the world.
Speaker 2: If they also would have.
Speaker 3: Got Bad Bunny to perform at that, if they would.
Speaker 2: Have liked.
Speaker 1: Surprise guests. They're like Bad Bunny is pulling double time. He's doing this, uh and uh. There's a lot of hubbub ahead of the super Bowl with these performers. There's some talk about Green Day and what they're gonna do because they're gonna be opening up the super Bowl with their performance. Green Day is like, obviously no fan of the Trump administration, big surprise, they're no fan of Like they have an entire song American Idiot that they've used to talk about this stuff forever. Zero percent surprise about all this. I heard one rumor. I don't know if it's true or not, but I heard. I wouldn't put any don't put any weight into this, Okay, don't go betting on any kind of gambling markets on this. But one of the rumors that I heard was that Green Day was also planning on performing in Spanish and they were going to do one of their songs and singing in Spanish to like match up with the bad.
Speaker 2: Bunny performance that was going to be. I think it would be funny.
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's going to happen, but I was one of the rumors that I heard was floating around.
Speaker 4: You would have to, like, I mean, what would be the easiest Green Day song to completely learn in Spanish.
Speaker 2: Good riddance might.
Speaker 1: Be maybe when I come around slow. Yeah, yeah, you can mix that in a little bit better. You can learn it ahead of time, learning it right now. But you know, I'm sure they'll be up there saying all the same things. It's like zero percent surprise with a lot of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Why would you be? It's Green Day? For God's sake?
Speaker 3: Singing the national anthem?
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 1: The national anthem is Charlie Pooth who I know? His name, Brandy Carlisle. We'll be doing America the Beautiful should be singing that before the performance, before before the game starts. I guess Super Bowl sixty though on the horizon, Folks, are you planning on tuning into some of these counterprogramming things? Are you going to be watching Bad Bunny? Let us know what you think ahead of the buzz here for the event. Tips at the Neewsjunkie dot com. Tips at the Newsjunkie dot com. We also have our submissions flowing in for today. It's Monday, so that means it's a rate my Blank day on the show, and we're doing rate Bydoodle once again, which means you got to draw something.
Speaker 3: Here is your challenge for Rate Mydoodle for this week.
Speaker 1: Draw the news Junkie logo, and in the final hour of the show, we'll go through all of these submissions. I'll tell you how to submit in just a second, but we'll go through.
Speaker 3: All of them.
Speaker 2: In the winner we'll turn into a sticker.
Speaker 1: Which will be given out to people who listen to the show or on the stream, just an exclusive sticker that we'll use your drawing force. So draw the news Junkie logo. If you don't know what it looks like, go to the news junky dot com hit magnets. All of the magnets are just different versions of the logo and it's kind of got the news junking. It's got like the outline of a newspaper on it, right, So go and look at the logo and then draw your version of it. And when you go to the news junky dot com you'll see where you coul submit a photo dispatch.
Speaker 2: Go do that.
Speaker 1: You can see all the submissions. There's already a bunch of them up there on the newsyunky dot com, like the ones that you like, so I can see which ones are catching on.
Speaker 2: It looks like one of these was done in MS paint there. Yeah, there's some good and bad already.
Speaker 16: Uh.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we've got a winner quite yet, but I like what we're seeing so far, so we'll work in these. Is the show rolls on here today, shoot, I wanted to work in it. We've been talking about the Savannah Guthrie thing for so long that I wanted to work that in. But I think we're up against it. Here a little bit, we will talk about what's going on with that story. Now here, I'll give you some basic details before we get the full rundown in the mother of one of the hosts of The Today Show.
Speaker 2: Her name is Savannah Guthrie. You may have heard of her.
Speaker 1: I think she rose to prominence with some of her nine to eleven reporting. That was a big day in her reporting, and she popped up on the radar around then, just much like Ashley Banfield did. She was a kind of a nobody at that time and made a big name out of herself in journalism from that day. Savannahtrie was of Savannah Guthrie.
Speaker 3: Yeah was it with my god nown blank on the name. But the Fox News guy who got fired sexual harassment and assault or was she involved in that marital fair and then they.
Speaker 2: Had Savannah Guthrie.
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know of her being attached to either one of those, but you know, you can look it up if you want. I know that right now, what she finds herself in the center of is this storm of her mother missing and her mom is eighty four years old, and her mom lives in the Catalina Foothills I guess in Arizona and her mom has gone missing. I've got some of the press conference here, but this is an older one. They must have had a newer press conference.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: See what we can dig up anything newer that the police are saying, because I want to see more about them calling her house a crime scene, et cetera, et cetera, and figuring out what the hell happened. We'll do that as as a matter of fact. That plus Jury Duty coming up next in the news Junkie. Jury Duty is, as I said, coming up in just moment here on this show, and we'll give you that full rundown on Savannah Guthrie's missing mom and another story that is going to make you absolutely positively lose your mind, so let's just jump into it.
Speaker 3: Here goes nothing. Let's do jury duty.
Speaker 14: Court is now in session, so put your phone down and pay attention before we call the bailiff over to whip your ass your no injury duty with the news Junkie.
Speaker 1: Jury Duty brought to you by the one, the only moduitt A, the Duit Law Firm.
Speaker 2: Injured on the go.
Speaker 1: Just call Mo Injured on the go, Just Calmo eight hundred Calmo or go to Justcallmo dot com. I don't know if they've already sold out, but I know that the event that Moses was promoting was selling very very quickly, so I think they sail. They're like a handful of tickets for this amazing charity and you get to play like mini golf in this high level competition. Was it at Congo Golf, h Congo River Golf. It is at just Callmo dot com slash Golf, I believe. Let me double check that. But grab those while you can. Another fun event, yeah, just Callmo dot com. Slash Golf is the Mini Masters And if there's anything left, it's not much, but go try to grab yours now over on Just Callmo dot com.
Speaker 2: Slash golf and here we go.
Speaker 1: Let's see, oh, some really awesome submissions and rate my blank today those of you drawing the logo again. Winner will go on to a sticker. But now that we get into a jury duty, let's talk about this.
Speaker 2: Here is the latest.
Speaker 1: Let me open the rundown here for the mother of the Today Show, Savannah. Today's Show host Savannah Guthrie is reported missing from her home. Here's one of the early reports. I think on this somebody right and us being Channel thirteen.
Speaker 15: The Sheriffs Department is asking the community for help in finding a missing vulnerable adult. Pima County deputies are trying to find eighty four.
Speaker 2: Year old Oh, she's eighty four. Eighty four years.
Speaker 15: Our home near East Skyline and Campbell Avenue. Now the last name may sound familiar. She is the mother of Juve alumnus and current Today Show hosts Savannah Guthrie, Crazy five feet five inches tall with blue eyes. PCSD says that Nancy was last seen at her home around nine five this morning before family reported her missing earlier today.
Speaker 1: All right, so she was reported missing by her family. Savannah Guthrie of The Today Show was not on the Today Show this morning as a result of this, and authorities are like swarming her home.
Speaker 2: This eighty four year old woman.
Speaker 1: A family member called nine one one around noon on Sunday to report the eighty four year old woman missing. The search is underway by ground and by air. There are concerning circumstances found at Savannah Guthrie's mother's home, and they will not rule out foul play. Homicide detectives are investigating the case right now. Savannah Guthrie has hosted The Today's Show since twenty twelve and also serves as NBC News Chief Legal correspondent. Her family has lived in Tucson for most of her life. She recently took a brief hiatus from The Today Show to undergo vocal surgery, and I guess she's she's not been there as a.
Speaker 2: Result of this as of late.
Speaker 4: That's got to be hard because after vocal surgery, a lot of times you're supposed to not speak for like six weeks or more.
Speaker 3: Stress helps with it either.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The sheriff, Pema County Sheriff, did you see what do he said during the press conference. I have one of him, but it's him talking last night.
Speaker 2: Is what you have more recent than that.
Speaker 3: I believe, so it was that Karkoy sent you in the chat. We saw some things at the home that we're concerning to us. We believe now after we process that crime scene, that we do in fact have a crime scene, that we do in fact have a crime and we're asking the community's help.
Speaker 1: Really really, they said, she's facing some physical challenges, this eighty four year old mother of Savannah Guthrie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they said, mentally she's all there, like she doesn't have cognitive issues sharp as attack, but she's in need of medication that can be fatal if not received within twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: She's got pretty physical things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty intensive though. Saying like that, we saw some things that were concerning to us. We believe after we processed the crime scene that it is indeed a crime scene. There's a crime and we're asking for the community's help.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 3: Stressing that her mobility is quite restricted, the sheriff stated, we know she didn't just walk out of there.
Speaker 1: What does this mean though, Eery wonder what they've found that makes them feel like this is a crime scene. Here's the press conference with the sheriff in Pima County, Arizona, about Savannah Guthrie from the Today Show her mom Nancy, who's missing four years old.
Speaker 2: Try to pump this up.
Speaker 3: It's physical, not of good physical health and actually concerns.
Speaker 11: The scene at the house also has some concerns, insist. She said, That's why I'm going to.
Speaker 2: H all we can.
Speaker 1: He's kind of whispering here, but he says a scene at the house has some serious concerns for us as well.
Speaker 11: And made her contective and remain in contact. Were both by no Claria Hospital medical transport teams. So far defense posing to nowhere.
Speaker 1: It's hard to hear what he's saying, but he said pretty clearly there at one part there was some concerning things, some concerning things that we found at her house. Then I saw from us Weekly they said she had skipped the show, skipped the show. Today, I'm looking at the story here in front of me after her mother was reported missing, and they said, uh, excuse me, Uh. Savannah Guthrie is fifty four years old. Her mother, as I said, is eighty four, and she says on behalf of our family. I want to thank everyone for the thoughts, prayers and messages of support. Right now, our soul for focus remains on the safe return of our dear mom. We thank law enforcement for their hard work on this case and encourage anybody with information to contact the Pima County Sheriff's Department and they get to give the the phone number out for that. This is very concerning to us. The Pima County Sheriff said she's very alert and sound of mind, but she was reported missing from her family. Here's the poster I've got like the missing poster. It says female, five foot five, one hundred and fifty pounds, hair color brown, eye color blue. Last scene evening of January thirty first. So how long thirty first was? What was that Saturday? Okay, so Saturday? Last scene on Saturday at her residence near East Skyline Drive at North Cambell Avenue.
Speaker 3: This is in Arizona, where Nancy Guthrie lives.
Speaker 1: Unknown what clothing she may be wearing, wearing it's as vulnerable adult. And now it's been from Saturday at point to all day Sunday to now obviously it's Monday and they have not found her mother.
Speaker 4: Do you think it's weird how much information they're giving out. I mean I know, there's a lot that they're not saying, especially this this sheriff Nanos, who has said stuff like, you know, he revealed that homicide detectors were assisting in the investigation and stuff like that, but he's holding back just what inside the house was so concerning to them because he said it's not appropriate.
Speaker 2: At this time.
Speaker 4: Now that is I know, that's the really curious part. But let's just like, hypothetically, they find Nancy Guthrie, Savannah's mother, They find her, she's a little worse for the wear, but she's okay, and she goes back home. Well, you think we've kind of said a little like a lot of information about her that people probably shouldn't know. Yeah, I mean without out, you know, specifically giving how her address, even though a lot of the news is there and there, or they know where the crime scene is. But now we know that she uh can't can't physically go very far even though she's mentally with it. Right, it seems like it's a little much. Yeah, let's make this a little more personal here, if we can.
Speaker 2: For a second.
Speaker 1: Now, this is an entirely different situation because your mother is both much younger and incredibly healthy and great shape and all of that stuff. But if you saw that your mother had been missing since Saturday and it's Monday, that, like, I mean.
Speaker 3: Immediately considering those factors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, immediately, I'm going if it's a if it's a teenage kid or somebody like like a younger person, I might have a million excuses as to why this person disappeared, but for some reason, when it's somebody's.
Speaker 3: Mom, yeah, it seems a routine. Yeah, it seems more concerning. And she's not physically able to walk herself out of the house. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Look, even the photo I'm looking to hear that shows her with Savannah Guthrie on the set of the Today Show, she has a like a cane in her hand and you could see her arms all like sort of bruised up. Like she's doing great here either. But that's a very strange story. So we're going to keep an eye on that, see where everything goes, and see if there's any updates throughout the show about that one.
Speaker 3: And file this. U.
Speaker 2: I have to save this.
Speaker 1: I have to save this because I got two for you when we come back. One is Cracker Barrel is at it again. They have decided to make another movie, and I want to see what people think about this move that Cracker Barrel has made. And when it's cold, cold, cold outside, do you listen to your homeowners' association or do you ignore them when they tell you that you cannot use a generator to heat your home when the power is out?
Speaker 13: What do you do?
Speaker 1: And this story got people fired up this weekend. I'll tell you what happened that is coming up next in the news Junkie Big thanks to everybody gifting Secret Shows subscriptions today. As a matter of fact, let me go look. If you go over to the news Junkie dot com and anybody has gifted subs, there's a whole banner that just says, like I'm looking at it right now, it says free gift subscriptions are available, and if you're logged in, you just click it and you can claim one of the free gifted subs. And there are currently fifteen up there right now, thanks to sun State, John who gifted twenty five and Craig who gifted five Secret Shows subscriptions. Grab yours right now and it gives you a free month of audio and video Secret Shows just like that. While those are available, which won't be too long. Get them at thenewsjunkie dot com. Big thanks to those folks. I want to ask you what you would do here, and I think I already with you too. The answer for all of us is going to be a big, fat, like middle finger to the people who tried to do this. Remember when we had a big fan of the show who lives in Nashville who always sends over dispatches, had told us, Hey, just so you know, I've been without power for I think where we said Nashville was without power for four or five days. And we're like, oh my god, there's ice storm going through. People are incredibly incredibly cold, and the power has been out for some people for days or even weeks. And with that in mind as a backdrop, I want you to tell me what you would do in this scenario. Because this family says that their Hoa came by and the power was out, you know, because of all the ice storm stuff.
Speaker 2: The power was not on.
Speaker 1: And the family said, well, we got a generator here, and we'll run the generator so that we can keep ourselves warm so we don't freeze the death. And the ho Way told these people, no, you can't use a generator during an ice storm blackout. And I thought to myself, that's a big that's a big because some rules are made to be broken. Right, Yes, I think we need like drugs, I think we need law in order. I think we need, you know, people to follow the laws, and you should be punished if you don't.
Speaker 2: But some rules are made to be broken.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like survival.
Speaker 2: If you came to me and.
Speaker 1: It's freezing outside and you tell me no, you cannot run a generator in this neighborhood even if the power's out.
Speaker 3: Try and stop me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm doing it. I'm doing it no matter, I guess.
Speaker 3: So just light of fire in my living rooms.
Speaker 1: Hs they try to say it was too dangerous, or it was too loud, or I have some of the report from WSMV here, let's.
Speaker 2: See what they saying.
Speaker 4: Families are doing anything they can to stay warm even if they don't have power, but that does include the generator home.
Speaker 13: We've had people reaching out to us saying that their HOA is not allowing generators even after this historic eyed storm.
Speaker 7: Here's Mark Kearney is pushing for answers tonight.
Speaker 1: Just the idea that you would hear that from your HOA, your homeowners association would come by and go, you know, I know it's you and your elderly mother and three kids inside the house, But we kind.
Speaker 3: Of have a no generator rule in the neighborhood.
Speaker 2: It even has a no generator rule. I've never heard of. My name, would it be would it be a noise issue?
Speaker 4: Like if I were to have would I be violating this rule if I had a solar like a battery backup with a solar system.
Speaker 1: The HOA tried to claim it was a safety issue Sea Lane.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, it's a safety issue for everybody.
Speaker 4: Everybody has the chance of I mean, anybody who owns a generator should know. And they they're told every time there's a some sort of hurricane or a chance for power outage, to make sure, make sure, make sure, make sure you do not operate the generator inside inside the house, don't do it in the garage, don't do it any of that stuff. So I don't see why you, as the HOA, get to police this.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's the same at everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's because they have like their little book of rules and this goes against something and they well, we can't do this. Your rules can kiss my ass when it comes to life or death. And you might think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not. In Nashville. When it's that cold and the ice is frozen out the power lines and the power is down and your house dips below a certain temperature, there is literally and legitimately a risk.
Speaker 3: Of you dying.
Speaker 1: So when somebody comes to your house and says, I'm sorry, this is against the rules, that's one that I'm going to break every time, every single time.
Speaker 2: And I think, I mean, we'll put this on the MO list.
Speaker 4: But I think Moses would argue that, you know, the rule or the pact you have with your HOA is a contract, and I don't know that a contract can protect something that would be this dangerous to you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it absolutely could be a life or death thing.
Speaker 13: Let's see what I'll say that from running the fauce hits to pulling out every candle in the house, tell you a Caramelo is doing everything she can to get.
Speaker 2: This poor girl.
Speaker 1: She's in her house in a full on winter coat and bundled up because they won't let her use.
Speaker 3: The heat and they won't let her run the generator through this ice storm. Even sleeping at night, it's still tough, no matter the layers.
Speaker 13: So she pushed the blankets aside and drove around until they found this generator available in spring Hill, Nice spending run fifteen hundred bucks for it, plus extension cords and space heaters.
Speaker 3: It was literally right there with the wires going through.
Speaker 13: But Tellia says just hours after they got everything ready and signed and fired it up.
Speaker 1: So this girl obviously has enough going for her in her life that she had fifteen hundred dollars aside and went out and got a generator to help warm her and her family up, got extension cords, got space heaters that they might have needed to do this, and put them all in place in her house, only to have the HOA come along ago about that.
Speaker 13: No, we're not going to allow you from their HOA management company, Metropolitan Properties, please.
Speaker 3: Remove it immediately.
Speaker 13: Telia couldn't believe they were threatening to find her, saying the generator was a fire hazard and doesn't fit their aesthetic.
Speaker 1: It says the rule against maintaining a quality appearance was violated.
Speaker 3: It's her balcony you're talking about.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, am I not maintaining a quality appearance of my house in a snowstorm and an ice storm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know real these days, iss and bodies balcony.
Speaker 1: And by the way, I'm not going to mow my lawn during this ice storm either. If that's something else you'd like to push, I'd love to see.
Speaker 3: The HOA president whoever's going around sending the emails what their house look like during the winter storm.
Speaker 2: Jesus man, that's so dumb. And I'll give you some update.
Speaker 7: Because why is that even right now? Why do they care so much when people are just trying to stay warm?
Speaker 13: True, I've been reaching out to the property management company all day long, and they finally agreed to give tell y'all one time exemption so she can use that generator until the power comes back on.
Speaker 1: So they badger them at the television station. He's trying to reach out all day long, and then finally the HOA goes We will issue you a one time exemption and you can do this until the power goes on. Like the tiniest bit of power. Dad has corrupted your brain dead skulls. I do not understand how stuff like this happens. That's one of those ones where I go the rules can be damn yeah, I'll pay whatever afterwards.
Speaker 4: I don't care, And I wonder I'll add this to the MO question, but like, what your recourse is. You know, this woman had to go to the news to get the news to badger them for their one time exemption.
Speaker 3: But I saw in the comments for this story when I was posted.
Speaker 2: Somewhere that was like, Okay, good luck.
Speaker 4: Hoa, I'll see you in court, you know, like if you want to enforce this, I'll be calling a lawyer immediately.
Speaker 1: And what do you think a jury of your peers is got to say? Absolutely, like they're absolutely going to go what. I'm sorry you were freezing in your house and you wanted your family to be nice and warm and safe. Yeah, don't care, don't care about the rules of this fine overturned and all the rest. We're gonna get to your submissions for rate my Blank. It's rate my Doodle edition once again. But this time you're not drawing Sea Lane. You're drawing the news Junkie logo you could see over on the website go to the news junk dot com and in the slash Magnet section or over on the Game of Magnets page. You'll find it up there on top of the navigation. Also different variations of what the logo looks like. If you want to draw this for the competition, and.
Speaker 4: I've seen a couple of people just make up a new logo, you're supposed to be drawing the logo, not not like this is not like make up a new news junkie logo. No, you go to the website and you look at the logo and then you draw it.
Speaker 3: There's one person who's still drawing Sea Lione, not getting the full memo just yet.
Speaker 1: So those are too good. There's a lot of AI. I think it work here, and AI ain't gonna cut it. We're not going to pick a winner out of the AI because some of these are great, Like this is really good, but I.
Speaker 3: Don't, come on, I don't think you drew that.
Speaker 2: As much as I love that snowman id of really like this.
Speaker 3: It's really good, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Who sent that in?
Speaker 1: Even though it's AI, I think that has to stay in the running Opa of Dragons.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's so good, it's so good.
Speaker 1: And then another person sending the tea bag, sending the news Junkie Olympics.
Speaker 3: I got it's so good, but I know.
Speaker 1: Part of it is not very good. That e that's also the minor problem with this portion of it. But otherwise pretty good. The other one I liked more and maybe that could turn into the sticker. But we have tons of other admissions and it's not too late for you. Go and draw the logo and draw it on a piece of paper or whatever wherever you got. You can color it in or not, whatever you want to do, and then go to the news junki dot com and submit it as a photo dispatch. You'll see where you can send it in a photo dispatch right on the website at the news Junkie dot com. Meanwhile, Cracker Barrel is getting heat once again. They have now instituted a new rule and they said, if you are an employee who is for Cracker Barrel, so you're going around doing work or whatever, you are expected to eat only at Cracker Barrel locations while you're on the road. And this they said in an internal message obtained by The Wall Street Journal. Cracker Barrel said that quote, employees are expected to excuse me, expected to dine at a Cracker Barrel store for all or at least the majority of all meals traveling whenever practical based on location and schedule.
Speaker 2: They said.
Speaker 1: The guidance also bars the company from reimbursing any alcohol purchases on business trips unless workers pay out of pocket or get pre approval for special occasions from senior leadership leadership. The travel meal policy comes as Cracker Barrel continues its efforts to trim expenses amid sagging traffic.
Speaker 3: After their whole premier employees.
Speaker 1: Their whole logo revamp thing, and people complained about the menu, people complained.
Speaker 3: About the logo and the signs.
Speaker 1: Cracker Barrel lost ninety four million dollars in market value in a day. They've been sinking since that a bit, and now people are taking issue with them, saying they're employees who are traveling for work may only eat at Cracker Barrel restaurants. All right, Let's see, I never worked for a place like that where they could like, I haven't worked for a place where it makes sense for them to ask me to do that. So, I mean, what's the comparison. iHeart would tell us we can only listen to iHeart radio stations.
Speaker 4: I think that they're they're just saying like, okay, like we have in full garb, we have a bunch of stuff that we pay for as a company, right yeah. And I think they were saying like, well, you can't use competitors' services to pay for like you can go on and and and pay for your own burger king or whatever you want on the road. But they're saying, like, I think if you're expensing it, they only want to reimburse you for stuff money that you spent at the company.
Speaker 3: You know as well as I do.
Speaker 1: When when you work for a restaurant after a while, it's yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. And this is no knock on any anybody's food or cracker barrels food or anybody just every person I've ever met who works at a restaurant.
Speaker 3: Even if I loved eating at the place, I go, oh my god, this.
Speaker 2: Must be nice to work here.
Speaker 1: The food it's so good, and to be like, if you work at a place for a couple of years, you're gonna hate the food there, or.
Speaker 3: You create some really interesting combinations.
Speaker 1: You create your own hacks and stuff. Because I'm bored of all the other stuff.
Speaker 4: I know people who have worked for restaurants that like sort of can't eat the food because they just know ei they're vegetarian, or they have like different dietary restrictions or stuff that's like you can't be forced into, you know, eating stuff that you don't eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a problem for some of their workers. But we'll see.
Speaker 1: Maybe you work at Cracker Barrel. Let us know, tips a long dude, that's like, hell, yeah, I love it. Give me some catfish quick break. When we come back the Epstein files, they released more of them. Anything interesting in there, well, we'll see anything going to happen as a result of this, we'll see even more with that. I got clips galore to play before we wrap everything up today. The Power Hour continues next. That is coming up next. I'm going to use Junkie. There was a lot of stuff in there. We'll talk about that in just a bit here on the show.
Speaker 3: I need help.
Speaker 2: What's wrong?
Speaker 1: I'm freaking out over here. I don't know what happened. But okay, when it got really really cold, not only did it wipe out some of the plants.
Speaker 2: This is fine.
Speaker 1: You know, there's a couple of not anything expensive or whatever, and I noticed that there were some issues with that. But also I noticed as of Saturday that there was this huge I believe it's a gigantic murder of crows. Oh yeah, that is taking over the tree in my backyard. And awesome when I say murder of crows hanging off, I might be able to bring up the video.
Speaker 2: To show you.
Speaker 3: My neighbor are leaving out cat food. No, I don't shiny objects.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you this is like, this is problematic territory. Here, let me bring this up, right, they'll lift you up. Okay, here, here we go. This is what it looks like. This is it's it's worse than this suggest I'm going to show you for those of you over on YouTube and twitch your reward.
Speaker 2: All right, Actually I have to meet.
Speaker 1: Myself because I don't know, first time I've ever done that. All right, walking down the side here at the house. Oh yeah, to see how many there are there? All crows or yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think, yeah, I believe so time to imprint my friend.
Speaker 2: Well that was the picture of my uh my little life sculpture.
Speaker 1: There They've taken over an entire tree and if you go out there, they all fly up in the air and they fly there there's.
Speaker 2: Hundreds of them.
Speaker 3: Oh, this is very exciting.
Speaker 1: It's the crowning. I don't know, it's it's scary. Whatever's going on back there. How do I how do I without making them mad? I understand before you bird experts come at me that crows hold grudges, and I do not want bad blood.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I am not trying.
Speaker 2: I don't know about the crow, the crow or the crowing air.
Speaker 3: It's called birds. Oh that one, yeah, the Alfred Hitchcock thing.
Speaker 1: I I don't want any trouble with any of these birds, but I do want them to kindly f off out of the tree in my backyard.
Speaker 3: They were all at the same time.
Speaker 2: They do it.
Speaker 1: They go up in the air if anybody goes out there, And then lady goes out, and I'm like, well, one crow might not get her, even though these are big ass crows.
Speaker 2: But all of these what do I do?
Speaker 3: What the hell? I'm so jealous. I will be at your house this afternoon with my bucket of bird seed and my duck hall and I'll get them out of your hair.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can have them.
Speaker 3: You can have these ones. Then you look in the sky and it's me being lifted up by my trench coat, flying across our neighborhood.
Speaker 1: It's cool, but I just don't want them in my tree. In the freeze, they disappeared. They must have huddled together somewhere. Somebody says large numbers of crows, especially between the late fall and early spring, are likely migratory birds joining local populations for warmth, protection from predators, and abundant food sources. These winter roosts can number in the thousands, utilizing urban areas for safety and warmth. Interesting, so they're trying to heat up around here. It's a lot I Hear's the update on the other store we were talking about. I told you about the New York Times story about some people, mostly millennials, who are spending absurd amounts of their income each each year on door dash and Uber eats and other delivery services. Here's how this is impacting some of the younger communities. And I've heard of this happening.
Speaker 2: From people that I know.
Speaker 1: But this is somebody who said, my younger sister did this. We got the younger sister, what think you ordered? She's going to get your door dash order. She door dashed popcorn, popped popcorn from the movie theater.
Speaker 3: Nice, that's a big ass bag of popcorn, lady.
Speaker 1: You can get a thing of popcorn kernels for like a couple of dollars.
Speaker 3: That's not movie theater popcorns.
Speaker 1: You can get a thing on Amazon that you put them inside and you'll perfectly pop them up, and this little container you can reuse every single time. Or you could just get a bag of popcorn for like ninety nine cents. But if you are making financial decisions to buy a bucket of popcorn to have it delivered to your house for like twenty five dollars, I don't know what.
Speaker 2: I don't even know.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know same.
Speaker 2: You know that I it's it's insane. It's what it is.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna be the same when you get it delivered either, because it's gonna be you know, you want that popcorn immediately. You want of popcorn right at the movie theater. You're spending money to have door dashed, just so some of you young folks know. I hate to get a whipper snappery on you here backing Mike, But here's how here's how.
Speaker 2: Movie theaters work.
Speaker 1: The movie theater makes a tiny slice of money off of the ticket that you purchase to go to see the movies. A small slice of that, a sliver goes to the movie theater that is showing those movies. The lion's share of the money that movie theaters make and thrive off of is purchased with small snacks and things like popcorn at the little commissary area. You know, go out to the lobby and get yourselves a treat or snack or whatever it is. That those snacks that they sell out there at the movie theater are marked up to insane multiples and they make a lot of money off each one of them, and that's how they fund the entirety of the movie theater.
Speaker 2: They don't make much off of the tickets, so everything you're looking.
Speaker 1: At that's on sale has a bigger markup than it would like an alta or a makeup store, which has massive markups. It's crazy already to spend that money on something in a movie theater, but if you're doing it to support the movie theater, that's one thing.
Speaker 2: If you're getting it afterwards, wow.
Speaker 3: Financially, because they don't have a deal with door Dasher uber eats where it's like we'll send me the popcorn and this digital download.
Speaker 1: They I don't know if they had that, but they literally are on most door dashes. So if you look at your door, actually usually get a movie theater hot dog.
Speaker 3: I mean, I did something ridiculous like that, but it was a Halloween emergency and my fog machine was not working and the treaders were already there. Wait, you can sog machines. So I thowt uber eats a fog machine from Party City, RG machine, whole fog machine, gallon of fog juice, and Halloween to save it.
Speaker 1: That's different because but fog machine, fog machine at least has some inherent value.
Speaker 3: This children well, and then give me just the fog machine. As I dressed as beetlejuice.
Speaker 4: I just searched for popcorn on uber eats, and yeah I have amc Altamont Mall Regal Cinemas. Oh my gosh, extra large bag of popcorn twenty three dollars.
Speaker 3: How much is it at the theater?
Speaker 4: Though not that much less The railar size is twelve dollars, which is still kind of.
Speaker 3: A look at I look up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of mark the popcorn for less than a dollar it's just it's absolutely it's like financial seppuku that you're doing. You're you're trying to and afterwards gonna be like, God, everything's so expensive in twenty twenty six. Yeah, if you order a limo for your movie theater popcorn, you have enough problems. Stuff is legit expensive. You use zumers are gonna have to save up forever to try to buy a house.
Speaker 16: Oh you're not.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna like this at all.
Speaker 4: The twenty three dollars bag of popcorn, there's an option to add butter for one dollar, So if you want a butter popcorn that four dollars, I.
Speaker 1: Really allowed on YouTube says I listen to you each day, and while I delivered door dash for the things that people order are totally ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Earlier today I delivered.
Speaker 1: One big lighter, one b one big lighter, maybe maybe one big lighter. Many days I deliver one miniature liquor bottle.
Speaker 4: To be okay, not to be fair, I haven't ordered a lot of liquor on on Uber eats because I would, you know, I would just use like the direct liquor store, like the ABC website. But there are times where if you're trying to, you know, pick out what liquor you want, and you're not really paying attention to the price, or maybe like the information on the on the page they have the mini bottles available and you don't always know that you're picking them.
Speaker 3: Okay, mega bag of popcorn, yeah at the AMC is twenty two ninety nine. Uh huh, so you're paying two dollars more sea line. Uh that's not bad, Samrita. Have you missed the entirety of the point.
Speaker 1: The problem is not that it's a big markup from the movie theater to door dash to your door, which it is because you're gonna get a lot of fees and stuff in there. So the problem is there's nothing with a bigger markup in the world than movie theater popcorn.
Speaker 2: You could buy a thing of actual You could you could.
Speaker 1: Buy an entire pop secret thing with like ten bags in it for what six bucks or something. It's not very expensive, and you could have delicious popcorn in your house right in the microwave. Getting the stuff from the movie theater is catastrotrophically bad.
Speaker 4: The megabag twenty three dollars from AMC at least comes with an eight ounce bottle of butter topping because the other the other place.
Speaker 3: Was charging an extra dollar for butter.
Speaker 2: Now you're out twenty four dollars.
Speaker 3: My god, popcorn.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 1: I don't really like popcorn that much. They released more of the Epstein files. I'll do a rundown on this tomorrow because there's some juicy bits in here that most people are missing.
Speaker 3: The video came out this time around.
Speaker 2: There is some core videos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll do a full run down on this tomorrow because that way people discover some more stuff because they just dumping on everybody. Don't forget, though, I want, I want everybody to know this.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: By the way, I searched for real radio and that wasn't mentioned in the in the Epstein files.
Speaker 2: But don't forget.
Speaker 1: If you go to jmail, were you worried, you never know? You go to if you go to jmail, j A I L dot world. That is my favorite version of this. They are dumping all of the files as they as they're released, and they're they're currently indexing and uploading all the latest ones too, and it's just like you're looking at your Gmail, but it's j m AI L dot world and not only can you search through all of them marked by year, just like you're in a Gmail correspondence, which is super interesting.
Speaker 3: But I love that they have the people on the sideline.
Speaker 1: Here, like you get like like if you're on Gmail and you have people you're chatting with, Yeah, in your content, you can click Elon Musk, Michael Wolf, Ehud Barack, Larry Summers, Steve Bannon, Noam choms Key, Alan Dershowitz, Ghlaine Maxwell. You could click all these different names that appear so many different times in the files, and then it's just very very easy to open this up and utilize it.
Speaker 2: It's just like you're using Gmail.
Speaker 4: I think they're still adding a bunch because I'm not seeing One of my favorite emails that I read over the weekend from this Epstein dump, and that was these correspondences he had with uh with Elon Musk where Elon was trying to hang out and come party, and he like forwarded it to Glane and was like, could you please deal with this?
Speaker 1: Well, one of them I saw, he was like, Elon, do you want to come by the island and hang out or you want to come by my place and hang out?
Speaker 2: Maybe in New York or something.
Speaker 1: He said, we're gonna have a lot of people who are in town for this United Nations event. And Elon's like, why would I want to go hang out with a bunch of losers from this United Nations thing?
Speaker 2: And Epstein says, what do you think I am retarded?
Speaker 1: I'm talking about a bunch of hotties and not one of them looks like they're over twenty five.
Speaker 2: It's like what.
Speaker 1: Like he was speaking in code, like pedo code, and Elon didn't get his pedo code, and so he's like, Hey, here's what we're really doing. So there's a lot in there. There's a lot. If you've found anything, stack them up. We'll go through and do a rundown on all the latest discoveries in there tomorrow, so everybody's caught up on that. When we come back, though, here's what we're gonna do, final dispatches, stories that didn't make the cut. And today I learned to wrap everything up for a Monday that is coming up next on the news Junkie rate my blank on the way out. Let me see I'm getting all these I'm getting as many as I can. Load it up so we can quick fire through a ton of these submissions, and the goal today was rate my doodle, and I wanted you to redo the news junkie logo.
Speaker 2: I said, the best one.
Speaker 1: We'll take it and turn it into a sticker and then we'll give it out to people who are listening to the show. We had some good submissions, some bad submissions, some definitely AI submissions, some submissions that are definitely AI, but still so good that maybe we'll still use them.
Speaker 3: Any of them I am or. There's a couple of marker type things drawn in here.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't look like it was drawn on the side of like a package. All right, I almost have. I got a bunch of them up. I don't have all of them.
Speaker 2: We are going to rapid fire go through these for everybody over on on the stream.
Speaker 1: Here we got ready, Yes, this is Cranks from Colorado and he has is drawn and the logo with some stick figures of us in there.
Speaker 3: All right, let's keep moving.
Speaker 8: This is.
Speaker 3: That's AI.
Speaker 1: It's it's a needle by somebody's arm injecting the headlines into them. Oh wow, this is just just the top version, it says junkie there. Yeah, yeah, this is just the top version of the logo because it's on the website.
Speaker 2: It is a little rough looking.
Speaker 1: Well, this one's great. That's really good. This is a real drawing too. Yeah, this was like with a frozen iguana on it. That's really impressive. Uh, hang on, this is uh that's that's just a sticker. That's just we already did that one. So here's the News Junkie with a penis over the eye and it says Sean killed the dog ones. That's it's rude. We already did that one. Here is it says the News Junkie. Nice and simple, but still well done and definitely hand drawn. Here's junk Yeah, this one's definitely done an MS paint. It's got our names written to the logo. You can see all these on the News Junkie dot com in the submitted dispatches section. This says the next episode smoke weed every Day.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: I think, uh, this is very very well done with some highlighter action on a napkin that somebody did.
Speaker 3: Oh that's a napkin.
Speaker 2: I thought it was. Here's a this is ai but it's so good. It's like a winter in Florida one. I love.
Speaker 1: This is that's the ramp right there from from the one event we did. Here's somebody scrolled out the logo We'll run out of time so I'm trying to go fast. That's definitely AI right. I think that it's like really smooth lines. This is like a Valentine's Day one that they use day.
Speaker 2: I oh, this is cool.
Speaker 1: The News theme Park, Hot Take Mountain. The next episode was Mike, this is pretty fun for hand drawn one. I think you did a great job. And a few more. Here's another hand drawn one. This is definitely AI.
Speaker 3: But this week in cats featured on it is that what are we wearing?
Speaker 1: Kentucky Derby edition? We're all dressed up for the Kentucky Derby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well you're about to award it to somebody, like will you take this final rose?
Speaker 1: This one has Lady Lady inside of the drawing that they did. That's very good.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: Here's another one and the final one I have for now, the News Junkie. This is this is breaking stuff. This is a I right, so I think it's otherwise it'd be too good of a sketch.
Speaker 3: What do we think is one of the first three that I really enjoyed. But the hand drawn one.
Speaker 2: Park the hand. It is good too. I wanna yeah, that's right here. This is literally a squirrel, literally a squirrel.
Speaker 3: Email me tips at the news Junkie dot com so many.
Speaker 1: You did a great job though, and I encourage people to go over there and check them out because there's more coming in as of right now. Click the dispatches section of the website and show people some love, you know, hit like on their on their submissions, et cetera, et cetera. Okay, I don't know if we're going to get any dispatches in. I think we really just kind of got to get the hell out of here.
Speaker 2: So let's do that.
Speaker 1: There's a lot more to discuss this week on the show, so don't miss out as we roll around with a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday.
Speaker 2: But right now, let's do today.
Speaker 14: I learned the following information may make you feel smarter, but will not actually increase your IQ.
Speaker 2: So don't get cocky.
Speaker 8: Now it's done.
Speaker 2: What we call today.
Speaker 1: It is set I learned for a Monday, February second, twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: The creator of this since The Simpsons is correct.
Speaker 1: Matt graining. I never know it's graining or growing Graining. I think it's graining. I believe it's graning. Matt Graining, creator of The Simpsons, has not one, not two, not three, but eleven children, that kind of collection of them going on.
Speaker 3: He's been making the show since nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 2: He was born in.
Speaker 1: Fifty four, so he was just thirty four years old, thirty five years old when he first started to make The Simpsons.
Speaker 2: He's still making it now in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Today the movie Castaway, None of the sound on the island scenes is real.
Speaker 2: What they had to fake all of it.
Speaker 1: The loudness of the ocean waves on the actual uninhabited island they were filming on was so overwhelming that every single sound on the island and ocean scene, including Tom Hanks monologues, were carefully recorded in a studio.
Speaker 2: I thought that when they recorded or shot that on was did have inhabitants. You can throw a flag on the field all you want, but is what it says in front of me here? I don't know.
Speaker 1: And finally today I learned this band right here sum up the rhythmics.
Speaker 2: That's right, the arrhythmics is correct.
Speaker 4: In the name of this song, sweet Dreams, are made of this, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Dave Stewart of the Rhythmics when he was meeting Annie Lennox, his future bandmate, while she was waitressing at a vegetarian cafe in nineteen seventy six, His first words ever to her were, will you marry me? She said no, and he said, well can we be in a band then? And he chose that as a backup. Thank you so much for hanging out with us. We do appreciate it. We're back tomorrow, same time, same place. Missed any of the show, get the podcast over at the newsjunkie dot com.
Speaker 2: We'll see it tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Everybody