Speaker 1: All right, it is Mojoe in the morning. Yesterday was really cool day. It was a really kind of humbling moment, but also one of those moments where you're like, I really am not saying this to be humble. I don't think I deserve what I'm you know, getting from, not only you know the people that came in studio, like Mayor Dugan who came in studio to say that he was going to give me the key to the city. He's only given three away and he gave him away to Wretha Franklin and Big Sean and ME like, to me, that's like, honestly, might be a moment of stupidity in this part.
Speaker 2: Why are you doing that?
Speaker 1: But then afterwards to see the pictures that were posted, and I did read some of the comments that were posted afterwards, and then I actually had to put my phone down because it was tough, and I got a couple of things I wanted to talk about, and I was gonna mention this yesterday, and I know after we had the Mayor and I kind of touched upon it, but I was like, all right enough already we got to get a second date update and other stuff that we do on the show. I don't want it to become literally I feel like your funeral when you're listening to it on the air. For some reason, I always feel like it's not we're celebrating accolades. I feel like it's like we're celebrating a person that shouldn't be celebrated. In me, I don't like opening gifts in front of people, and it's funny. I love attention of being up on stage in front of people, and I love the attention of being on the radio. I don't like when the attention, though, is on me more so than me trying to bring laughter and fun to other people. You know, And I don't know if that makes any sense to any of you, But the last couple of weeks have been really kind of weird for me. I have been going through a little bit of a imposter syndrome in who I am, and I think a lot has to do with the fact that I've never got into do radio to do anything other than to not have a real job like this was honestly what I got into because I had a passion for it and I loved it. And anytime that I've had success, I've always said God gave me that success because you know, he, for some reason felt like this was something that I should have. I don't think I'm great at what I do in radio. Matter of fact, I think there are people that are way better than me. Howard Stern doesn't even come like. If I saw Howard Stern, I would be like, I'm sorry, sir, I walked into the wrong room, you know. So long story short. When Chelse got diagnosed with cancer and we found out about that, I wanted to stop all this. I almost called Craig Kitchen, who is the head of the National Radio Hall of Fame, and I almost said to him, Hey, Craig, I'm going to take myself out of this. And a part of me was doing it for two reasons. Number One, I wasn't as optimistic, to be honest, on how Chelsea was going to be as I should have been, and she's been doing great, thank God. And I thought, there's no way that I'm going to go into this whole situation of the Hall of Fame while my wife is battling for her life. And so part of me was going to cut that off before it even got close. And in the back of my head I was saying to myself, I can't go and do this whole celebratory thing when honestly, the focus should be on me trying to be a better husband to my wife who's battling through the hardest time that she's ever had. Going into this week is something that I feel like, right now I'm excited about, but a week ago, if you asked me about it, I did not want it to happen. Chelse and I talked on our We Don't podcast that was out yesterday about how we had a really bad fight last week and a lot of it was the stress and the pressure of what's been going on, and it's the first fight that we really have had in a long time, and it was purely on me of what was going on. But it was purely me acting out because I just don't feel like I want to be here right now. And I don't know if people can see what this analogy is like, but to me, it felt like, you know, how I had this happen with a relative. You have a wedding that's set in. Just before the wedding, the dad or the bride dies, Like, how do you have the wedding when the dad of the bride dies just before the wedding, And I know that that seems really drastic, but that was something that I have seen happen. Like I could never walk down the aisle as the brider or the groom and be celebratory knowing that my future wife or my actual person just lost my dad.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like the highest high happens as the lowest low happens, and you have to figure out how to let those two in your case, you have to figure out how to let those two live together, yeah, and exist together.
Speaker 1: And it's wild because I get that this is a happy moment, you know, in the case of the wedding, it's a happy moment to take your your you know, thoughts off.
Speaker 2: Of the sad thing that just happened. But it's not.
Speaker 3: Fair, you know, you don't forget about the sad thing that happened in the process of celebrating.
Speaker 2: The happy thing.
Speaker 1: And a lot of people would say, hey, this is a great way to This is a great way to honor that person by going and doing it.
Speaker 2: Same with this situation with me.
Speaker 1: Some people would say, this is a great way for you to honor your wife who has been there for you for you through all the years that you've been in radio.
Speaker 2: I've known Chelsea as long as I've been in radio.
Speaker 1: So I got into radio when I was in nineteen ninety and I was a sophomore I think in college or junior in college or something like that time, and met Chelsea in nineteen ninety two, so I was two years out of radio. Chelsea's been part of my radio life, my whole life.
Speaker 3: That Hall of Fame award is have hers, Well.
Speaker 1: It's honestly seventy five percent hers, because she's because I've gotten so many accolades that she should have gotten. Because there's a lot of times where I would wake up in the morning and did not want to come in here and she would basically push my ass out of bed to give me that. And I'm going to tell you this, guys, this is a really weird time for me.
Speaker 2: Like this has been a weird summer.
Speaker 1: Started off with me in the shoulder thing, which is dumb itself, you know, falling downstairs at a bar. I recover from that Chelsea and I go take these you know, this MRI test and find out that Chelsea's got cancer. Actually before that, I get to call from the Hall of Fame people, and that was like the crazy exciting moment. You saw my reaction to that whole thing. It was crazy. Then Chelsea finds out that's just cancer. Then we go deal with that. You know, It's like it's just ups and downs. I feel like I'm on a goddamn Cedar Point roller coaster right now, and I don't know if I'm at the top right now coming down or if I'm coming into the station. And they're saying riders stay seated until the ride takes a you know, complete stop.
Speaker 3: It's like you're you're emotionally exhausted, but in two days you need to like really pep yourself up because this is the accolade of a lifetime in this career. And I said this to you yesterday. I feel like part of the celebration this week has to be that one Chelsea is thank God okay, and also celebrating Chelsea as part of your your road ticketing where you are and if I know her, she would be And I didn't listen to the podcast yet about this, but like she wants to celebrate you, so she wants you to celebrate you.
Speaker 1: She does, and she wants me also to start really using this as an opportunity to focus on me saying no to things that have really stressed me out.
Speaker 2: You know, I take on a lot.
Speaker 1: In the last month and a half to two months, it's been a lot of stuff that keeps coming up, and aside from even Chelsea, and I can't do it to myself physically, you know. And I think that in certain regards, there is a level of me going I don't want my career to end, and I feel like this is almost like a definition of career ending when you go through a thing where you're getting into a Hall of fame. Like I almost like I'm that I'm still alive to see this happen and to see the moment happen, but I almost kind of wish that I didn't have it happened because I got, I think, plenty more time less.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, but look at Ryan Seacrest. He got into the Hall of Fame and then added like twenty seven jobs.
Speaker 2: That's true, No, that's true.
Speaker 1: But I mean, in all fairness, I don't know if this an anything I just said makes any sense to anybody, but I'm going to tell you that.
Speaker 2: It's been tough. It's been a tough couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: It's been really tough summer, and it's been one of those ones too, where you've like, I feel like God's given me too many blessings and it's like he's got to stop and move on to somebody else. And I'm afraid that he's going to because I don't want my blessings to ever end. But I feel like I've had too much, Like the like I prayed so much for Chelsea and I basically said, you know, God, no, I've asked you for so much and your tank is probably getting low on me. But take anything else besides my kids away and my wife away, you know, because I really don't know if I can ask you for anymore.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Did you ever have that happen to you where you just feel like you're constantly asking please, Lord, you know, be there for me absolutely?
Speaker 2: But counted all joy, bro yea counted all joy. I need a quote from you or something from you.
Speaker 4: I mean, as you were talking about like the highs and lows, I was like, it reminded me of like this. I don't know if it's a Japanese proverb, but it's a situation where like this guy had like a bunch of horses, and then his horses like ran out the stable.
Speaker 2: He was like, oh man.
Speaker 4: After his neighbors came over and told him, and then the next day he sent his son. Now his son found two horses and he was like at a high, like, oh my god, I got two horses. Then his son was riding the horses and one of the horses knocked him over. He broke his leg and he was like, oh man, like this is the lowest of the low. And then the next day the soldiers came drafting for the war. But it's not had a broken leg so he couldn't go. So it's back to the highest of the highest. It's just you never really know why something is happening and just count it all joy because you have no idea. And that's that's where faith comes in, because faith isn't the absence of reality, is just the belief that God can change it. Yeah, and lean into that. You're not like you're receiving everything that God has for you and it will be never enough because He can always do more. Just be appreciative of where you at, bro. But the reality is what you're feeling is real, and that comes from a real place, but through your realness and through talking about it, it can help and heal other people because we are humans.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, that's all going through stuff. It doesn't stop here.
Speaker 5: Like you, I think, have this time to enjoy this week, but then you have the rest of your life to support.
Speaker 2: Chelsea in a way that she needs to be supported.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I appreciate you guys for all the things that you know Shannon and Kevin and Anna have just said. But it is in Mandy too, who wants to say something. Mandy, you were like first to call. I could see the phone ringing right away you when I started bringing this up, what's going on?
Speaker 5: Well, mine's definitely not nearly as deep as yours. I was just comparing that. I also do not like any attention on me. I have no problem helping other people coordinating things, running weddings that my friends are didn't even plan anything like that. But I despise having any attention on me, any photos of me. I hate every second of it. So that was what I first texted in and you guys.
Speaker 1: Can I can I tell you that Chelse thinks I'm full of crap when I say I don't want the attention, but I really don't like opening gifts. Like I'm not a person that likes to open gifts. Believe me, I love attention. I want the attention. I want to m see everybody opening the gifts and make fun and joke. But when somebody gives me something, I don't like it. I would rather be the giver and then the receiver. Yeah, rob, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Rob? Hi?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 4: Hey?
Speaker 7: I want to say congrats, I'm the king or the key to the city.
Speaker 8: Thank you for the last twenty years.
Speaker 7: But I don't mean to quote a celebrity that I kind of not necessarily idolized. But Tom Hanks, he brought up a phrase, he goes, this too shall pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, But honestly, thank you for everything you Chelsea Shannon y'all put on a voice for the majority of Detroit.
Speaker 7: I'm actually on my way up to Marysville for here on for a job, and I want to say thank you, thank you for everything that you guys have been through.
Speaker 2: Good. Is it a new job or you interviewing for a job. What are you doing?
Speaker 7: I work with I work with a construction company ery in primary cable and it's we just go all over Michigan. But I listen to you guys every morning and honestly thank you for everything that you guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks Rob, thank you buddy for what you do. And be safe today. Man. What's up, jeff I, how's it going? Good? Buddy? What's going on? What'd you want to say?
Speaker 6: Well? I wanted to say that I feel exactly where you're at. I left a six figure job for my wife five years ago, or sorry, fifteen years ago, when she found out she had breast cancer. Don't give up what you're doing. Don't give up your spirits, sir. You've been a blessing to many people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you you left it because you knew you had to spend the time with your wife.
Speaker 6: No, it wasn't a question. And there you know there there, I knew there was enough money to stay home. My boss gave me a five thousand dollars check when I walked out of the truck that I was an over the road truck driver for FedEx Custom Critical. I delivered pharmaceutical loads. Actually, but nothing can take away the joy that you show somebody or how they receive it. It's all a how you present yourself from the day forward. When you guys.
Speaker 2: Found out, you know what is amazing? And how is your wife?
Speaker 6: By the way, she passed away five years ago. Man, this is the guy that was in love with Megan.
Speaker 2: I remember that. Actually I remember you.
Speaker 1: You calling that too long after you you lost your beautiful wife.
Speaker 6: Yes, And since then I've been going to uh wal Martin handing out roses, telling every woman that I come across, that every woman deserves to smile for no reason whatsoever. And there's been half hour cry sessions with people.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: A few months ago, I ran I come across the lady that had just lost her husband and said that she so much needed that and felt that it was a gift from him.
Speaker 1: I don't know what it is, but there's something about this person who is your partner going through you know, a battle like that, that you like, I've gone through battles. You know, I've gone through my hard stuff and and and you know illnesses. You when you feel you feel more helpless, don't you when it's some when it's the person that.
Speaker 6: You're oh yeah, because there's nothing that you can do. Unfortunately, cancer is a mutilation of the body that cannot be solved. That's why, honestly, we will never truly have a tear. We can put it to sleep, but unfortunately we will never have a cure for it. It's like a cockroach that can survive anything.
Speaker 1: And you feel probably better than ever that you quit that job because you got to spend more time with her.
Speaker 6: Oh, I spent a full year at home before I go back to work.
Speaker 2: Good for you, Jeff, thank you for the call.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Yes, have yourself a wonderful day and give Kelsey hugs.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you, buddy. That's that's amazing.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry that he lost his wife, but she's definitely there with him, uh in loving on him all your voice disguise.
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 9: Hi, Ojoe. I'm gonna try to get through this without crying, but I'm already crying because of everything that I just heard. But I wanted to tell you have been such a staple in this community and when you were going through all of your heart stuff. I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: The phone is echoing.
Speaker 3: I don't know why.
Speaker 9: I bet you guys, Okay, yeah, sorry, I just yeah, it's still echoing, but talking.
Speaker 2: Hello. There you go, Yeah, yeah, there it goes.
Speaker 9: So you have been such a staple in this community, and when you were going through everything with your heart surgery, the community came together and was praying for you. And you have no idea what you mean to us. You're not just accepting this award for you and Chelsea, like you're accepting it on behalf of everybody who has listened to you. You have literally saved so many people with what you have done on the radio, getting up at five in the morning, the late nights at the bars, like you've just done it all. And I know what you went through with Chelsea was very traumatic, but understand something you have went through something so traumatic that you kind of almost felt disassociated from life because you just felt like it wasn't real. And sometimes we self sabotage because we feel like we're not worthy, but like you are, like Mojo, You're so amazing, and you know when they talk about the highest of highs and the loads of blows. I caught my husband having an affair red handed while I was having a baby, and it was the worst feeling in the world. And now I'm like a single mom. I struggle so much, but it's one of those things where it's like you go on vacation and you come back to reality, right, And that's what you're probably gonna do when you accept this awards. So all the tears and stuff and the emotions that you're feeling, it'll be there when you get back. But you need to be present in the moment of accepting that award because you deserve it. Like we literally all adore you, we all love you, and you're worthy of it and you're you're Ie. Just a quick story, when I was getting beat by my ex husband, I would literally play your podcast because I forgot about my problems. I would literally just play you guys and listen to War of the Roses and all this stuff just to forget about my problems. So accept that awards. Forget your problems for a minute, and just accept it because you deserve it. You're so important to us in this world, like all of you guys at the radio station, you just really like you make us forget our problems, and we hope that you just know how to do that for a minute when you accept this award because you deserve it. You literally are so amazing and we love you, and I'm sorry for all that you're going through, but just know that everybody in the world is going through highs and highs and lows and lows. But we'll get through it. We always do right, like we always do.
Speaker 2: Elle, I cannot listen. I don't know.
Speaker 1: What you've gone through is way worse than anything that I've gone through, the idea that somebody would do that too. I'm so sorry, and I'm happy that the show was able to get your mind off of things. And I hope that you are knowing that you are worthy and uh there are there's there are people out there that do care about you.
Speaker 9: Thank you. I just you know, I want you to know how I loved you are like you can even if you retire, like we're still going to stop you. We're still going to.
Speaker 2: See what you're well, what you're doing than you. I love you. Just take care of yourself that story.
Speaker 1: Thanks al, love you, take care. Oh my god, lydia forewarned me before I pick up lines.
Speaker 2: I didn't know she was going to do all that.
Speaker 1: Wow, but that was unbelievable. I mean she had to get it off though.
Speaker 2: Can I she was nice?
Speaker 1: Can I be honest with you when whenever you hear those comments from people that say that they're going through the worst moment of their life and they listen to our show. Doesn't it make you sit there and say, oh my.
Speaker 3: God, like I don't feel like I do truly I feel that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: I appreciate everybody in the comments, the text messages, the calls, the comments on social media. I got to tell you that again, this was one of those things where, and I think all of us speak for this. We didn't get into radio because we wanted to be anything that we're getting accolades for. We got into radio because we wanted to do something that was going to be fun, and we wanted to give back a little bit, you know what I mean, like make some people laugh. And the idea that people do listen to the show to me is always awe inspiring. Like I think that it's wild that we even have twelve listeners. And that's why we used to do back in the day, used to say, yeah, we only got twelve listeners, because we used to sit there and saying, maybe we're just worth twelve people that.
Speaker 2: Might like nothing else to do.
Speaker 1: And when you hear what the show has done over the years and what we personally have gotten out of this. I mean our families, our friends, you know, lives, great people through moments that have been tough. I could not imagine doing anything else. And honestly, that's the awards that we get. That truly is the award.
Speaker 2: That we get getting to come in every day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, believe me, all right, it is Mojoe in the morning. Does it amaze you? Then when you listen to a radio show and you hear them and they're doing, honestly, like something that's as simple as just a horoscope, and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, you have this platform.
Speaker 1: Like this is it you could actually really help a woman go through And maybe that horoscope is one of the things that does help somebody go through something. But I think, honestly, the stuff that we do on the show is like so wild that it generates people to feel like, hey, they're.
Speaker 3: Just like me, you know, Can I say something really really quickly? I had to do it engagement for my alma mater. I went to Butler University in Indianapolis. But the engagement happened, or the speaking thing happened at the Detroit Athletic Club after the show on Friday, and one of the questions that one of the students asked was about AI and AI in this business and do we feel threatened by AI in this business? And I said exactly what you just said. I don't think that a show like ours could ever be replicated by AI because we try so hard and we make it our mission to come in here every day and be vulnerable and connect and relate with people a person to person and share those stories so that if somebody is listening and on their way to something that you know is no fun, or on their way to something that's wonderful, that they can listen and actually form a connection with one or all of us.
Speaker 1: AI is way more polished than we are, and honestly, ARI is not screwed enough, screwed up enough as we are, And honestly I would be bored listening to it, right.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there are things that happen on the show, even Kevin running out to the hallway to go fart, you can still hear.
Speaker 2: It doesn't happen in a couple of days, thank you.
Speaker 1: I don't run out anymore, but you know what I mean, Or a moment where the freaking air conditioning doesn't work or whatever. It doesn't work and we're complaining the whole time, and you know what, it's just as it works, part of part of the show.