Speaker 1: That's our motto here on the Eddie and Rocky Show. Keep your feet on the ground, rock and keep reaching for those stars, my friend.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Every single day, that's what we do. And we don't even get out of the atmosphere, but we try.
Speaker 3: We could be reaching for more taxes. Reach wallet, yeah, reaching.
Speaker 2: Into your wallet and get ready to pay the man.
Speaker 3: So look, I mean violence in downtown has been a big issue, you know, certainly last year and then most recently on New Year's Day, that eleven year old girl was shot at that playground on the West End. So of course people want to know what's what's going to be done. The mayor, by the way, was elected, and I think the same day he was elected, came out and said that they're gonna have to raise the income tax in the city.
Speaker 2: Now that I don't believe was.
Speaker 3: Anywhere mentioned in his uh in the lead up to the election, right, wasn't a part of his platform, But day one it gets announced. Now, currently folks who live in the city of Cincinnati are taxed to the tune of one point eight percent, and it sounds like that is rising.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk to a fellow who can speak to it. Arguing friend Steve Good and Steve welcome back to the program.
Speaker 4: Hey, good afternoon, guys.
Speaker 1: How are you good?
Speaker 2: Good?
Speaker 1: So Steve, now look it, and you're being a former council person, would more boots on the ground as far as cobs being downtown help with all this? What do they do? And where does this money? Where would this money be appropriated? I guess is the first question.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, that's the big question. So I mean, look, we have a relatively decent earning tax compared to you know, we're at one point eight percent of all income and not just for city resident, anyone that works in the city pays it. So that's one of the things that's really tough here. So if you live in Green Township, or if you live in Madeira but you work downtown, have an office downtown, you're paying that one point eight percent. And for years people have been saying at city Hall, look, Columbus and Cleveland, you know they charged two point five They get away with it, So we quote have some space. I think that gives up a real competitive advantage that we have here. But what the mayor seemed to be saying that there's an inauguration yesterday was he was linking this increase to public safety spending, and we absolutely need more boots on the ground. We need more police officers. We're short of a compliment that was set back in two thousand and five. It's an entirely different city now, it's a bigger city. We have more attractions, we have a different neighborhoods, including over the Rhine in downtown, function in a completely different way than they did then. So we have to rethink policing and that's going to require more officers. But I was also troubled by something he said during his speech. He said public safety and poverty reduction efforts that get at crime. So it felt like we were getting into mayor Montdami territory very quickly in terms of additional spending boondoggles which we've seen already from this administration, like medical debt relief and other things that are sort of designed to get at poverty in some way, but seem to have had no impact whatsoever on the shootings downtown and over the Rhine and in the West End, where we've seen some of the most just horrific shootings, particularly shooting involving very young people, both as shooters and as victims. So look, if they were talking about raising taxes really to actually really redo and rethink how we do policing in this city, that's a conversation a lot of us, as city residents, would be willing to have. But I don't really think that's what's being discussed here. I think talking about public safety and policing is sort of a fig leaf for what looks to be just more programs spending, and we've already got too much of that.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 3: See, let me ask you this, because I've heard both, But is it the fact that like we don't have the money to hire more officers or from cops that that I've talked to, there's a reluctant to one of our reluctance to want to be a cop because you know you're not supported, right, you know that from a crime prevention justice standpoint, you're not supported. You're not supported with the judges that are in place, you're not supported by the mayor. So is it purely a lack of funding and if we get more money, then all of a sudden there's gonna be all these officers and that's going to bring crime down?
Speaker 2: Or is it even going to have the effect.
Speaker 4: We wanted to well, it's it's complicated. I think the answer is both. I mean, I know that a lot of bigger cities have had issues with recruitment post kind of the George Floyd period. I mean, there was a period where a lot of politicians, including our mayor when he first ran for mayor, you know, he ran an ad or put out a piece of mail, but I still have here where he was openly critical of police officers and basically saying I'm going to stop racial profiling and things of that nature. And nobody appears a racial pro filing. I think that it is in the right mind. But that's something that you know that Cincinnati has been very aggressive about dealing with for almost thirty years now, and there haven't been any serious allegations about that in some time. So you know, there was an effort kind of post George Floyd, I think, both in the justice system and at city hall to really kind of blame police officers for what happened. That narrative is still very very much alive at the courthouse and at city Hall, and it is a morale killer. But that said, I mean, we also know that we our population has grown significantly the number of non city residents who are downtown on the weekends, particularly for concerts and baseball games, you know, the soccer stadium, et cetera. We know there were times when we have upwards of four to five hundred thousand people downtown on any given Friday or Saturday night, and between there over the Rhine and in the West End where the soccer stadium is. We need more officers to meaningfully police that. So it's a culture problem, and it's money problem, and it's an administrative problem too. We also have talk about a morale killer. We sort of have two police chiefs right now. I mean Chief TG is still technically the chief, even though she's been suspended since August. Well, they continue this, you know, orwellian investigation to find out what she did wrong after she was suspended. So you know, these are all morale killers. There is still just this this. You know, there's too much politics in the belizing. At some point or another, all the political rhetoric should be put aside and we should just be looking at what we need to do to maintain decent morale and what we need to do to maintain enough people there in the pipeline but you're right, recruitment's a problem. I'm told it has picked up a bit. We have kind of reduced some of the barriers to recruitment by being more open in the city to taking lateral hires from other departments. That was something that had long been kind of resisted by the city and I think they've gotten over that, and that's to the good. But it's it's both. It's both a morale issue, policy issue, and a money issue.
Speaker 3: Steve good as our guests, and see, let's get to the second part that you mentioned in the open there. Uh when when the major headline is Okay, there's there's a problem with crime, we need to raise taxes to get that under control. But then slipped into that is we need the revenue, yeah, for public safety, but also affordable housing and poverty disruption efforts, which that could mean a lot of things, right, And it just seems like a government, bureaucratic organization that that's going to be created with a bunch of people that are paid a lot of money to look at this and look at that with no real result.
Speaker 2: Am I wrong on that?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: No, it's it's the asterisks, you know to the statement that you know that kills the whole deal. You know, it's the footnote that takes back the the mean statement. And I would notice note that the mayor didn't know almost didn't ever use the word policing. He kept talking about public safety, which is this kind of much more generic term, and really what they're yeah, what they're talking about with public and then with these public safety and poverty disruption designed to get at the crime. So so it really does look like a lot of people are going to be thinking that they might be voting for supporting a tax increase to put more boots on the ground in terms of policing, but what they're really probably getting are more social programs and more kind of social welfare front of kind of concepts that are that are in theory designed to disrupt poverty. And we've seen that already. You know, we saw this huge thing that happened to Government Square, you know, where they were sending people in you know, with through nonprofits with city funds to give out sandwiches at the bus stop and hopes that that would make people less angry and less likely to hurt each other. But they still had to reroute the bus lines and they just had a shooting already here in twenty twenty six at Government Square. So these we know that a lot of these poverty disruption efforts just end up going to nonprofits for pilot programs that really don't change anything. I mean, public safety and policing go hand at hand. I know it's sort of out of fashion right now, and it's certainly out of fashion and the more progressive circles that seem to be running city Hall at the moment, which you can't have a city without good law enforcement, and in these programs, at the end of the day, absolutely poverty plays a role in crime, there's no question. But economic development and jobs are the only proven mover they are rather than just giving money away through these programs.
Speaker 2: And Stee you make a great point.
Speaker 3: And if he had come out and said, look, here's what our force is right now, here's what it costs, here's the amount of funds we raise our x and that to do that, that's going to increase our police presence and get more boots on the ground, more officers out there. By twofold is going to go to increasing technology that they use, equipment, all that. But he did and he said public safety, which is just the broadest, you know, most utopian term out there.
Speaker 2: And and you're right, I think.
Speaker 3: People would if you if you approach it like that and said, look, we're gonna get more cops, We're gonna increase it by this amount, boom and boom boom, I think you might well go all right, I might, I might consider that.
Speaker 2: But when it's this kind of language, it doesn't make much sense.
Speaker 5: Well it was.
Speaker 4: It was kind of gaslighting, you know. I mean, I mean, look, it could mean any number of things. And I think you know a lot of people that you know that were there. I didn't go, but I watched a fair amount of it on live stream, you know, at the address yesterday, you know, left there thinking God, big, you know, he's actually making a giant concession here, because recall, we didn't have a crime problem. That was what they were arguing throughout the campaign last year. And so it sounded like a pretty significant concession on his part. But when you really get at what was said, when you look at you know, if you print it out and read it, you know, there really isn't a direct promise there to to really invest more significantly in law enforcement. I didn't see it anyway, then it really does leave the door open for them to spend the money however they want.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 4: Note also, you know, we have this thing called the Cincinnati Futures Commission, which is a bunch of business leaders that issued a report about two years ago at the Mayor's request, and they also recommended raising the earnings tax, but they wanted to dedicate that money for economic development, job growth, and new housing, and they wanted to put it in a very kind of dedicated and confined special fund. This version of the tax increase that the Mayor seems to be a pushing here does not have any strings on it. It's just like, hey, trust us, we're going to use this to get at public safety, and public safety includes poverty reduction, and poverty reduction means whatever the hell we say it means. And that's what I took away from it.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, that's Steve Gooden. We will let you go, Thanks so much. We'll see how this shakes out, because what's the Mayor's put what a sixty day kind of timeframe on this thing.
Speaker 4: That's my understanding of got to council, and I'm very curious what they make of it.
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Take care, thank you. Thanks.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So you go in there, they say, right now, it's one point eight percent here in town Columbus Cleveland two point five. To go in there and say let's make it two point twenty five, we still look like heroes.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's the art of government right there.
Speaker 3: Still may still make the case for much less, which again I mean the fact that we are less than than Columbus and Cleveland, that that's a good thing. That's you're more attractive to folks. But we'll see with that.
Speaker 7: We check in with traffic and weather, what is going on from the UC Health Traffic Center, the UC Health Weight Loss Center, off a searcher going back to obesity care and expertise, call five one three nine three nine twenty two sixty three nine three nine twenty two sixty three seventy five.
Speaker 8: So in southbound Ronald Reagan Highway and Norwood laddle through the road to work with so downs back to Lachland Split right now about a five minute delay. We do have a crash that we've just got reported on seventy five southbound near Fort Washington Way and clean up is underway. Central Parkway at Finley as an accident and seventy five northbound between Normern Lateral and Paddock is about a five minute drive right now. And the work on two seventy five southbound at the Indiana Kentucky state line the Carrol Cropper Bridge has that single lane work continuing now through March for that project. And watch four slowdowns in the area. I'm Rich Rum producer Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast for seven hundred WLW Weather Center for tonight portly cloudy sky is a low of thirty five for tomorrow partly cloudy and the high of sixty two. It is fifty two. Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: I'm going to show you some images and you tell me what do you see?
Speaker 2: Looks like a butterfly listening to the Scott's Loan show.
Speaker 9: In this one, I.
Speaker 2: See a rocket ship. A rocket ship, yeah, blasting out for the planet Sloan.
Speaker 9: I see into this one that looks.
Speaker 10: Like a fish swimming.
Speaker 2: In a mountain pond.
Speaker 11: They'd be good, yeah, but the fish is angry because he's not listening to Scott Sloan.
Speaker 2: Scott's Loan, please listen responsibly join me.
Speaker 12: Scott Sloan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 9: Might be best for us to discuss some strong medications.
Speaker 10: This report is sponsored by Miami Valley Gaming.
Speaker 13: Get ready to get lucky at Miami Vallot Gaming with over twenty two hundred gaming machines. We got you covered.
Speaker 1: We'll park your car. It was forty dollars. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then if you want to, Valet was like seventy.
Speaker 3: But there's a lot of places, and we went to one in Florida a couple years ago. They don't even allow you to self park your car. You must valet.
Speaker 14: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then yeah, then you're paying for that, and then you you got tipped the guy and you gotta wait fifteen minutes to get your car.
Speaker 2: I hate it.
Speaker 3: So I get both sides of it, but I certainly understand that the people that don't want those Airbnb homes in their own neighborhood.
Speaker 1: Let's talk to Brett and Mason about it. Hey, Brett, thanks for calling, buddy. What do you have?
Speaker 11: Yeah, a couple of days. One, you guys are right about what Blackstone also does. For Blackstone, for example, is they'll buy multiple homes in an area and then they will price those homes out super high to continue to drive the prices up in that neighborhood because you know how like you do comps, you know how they do two or three cops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so.
Speaker 11: Yeah, they manipulate the comps too, So it's really bad. And then I found out that they're actually contracting with builders and building entire neighborhoods and owning the whole thing. So instead of buying individual single family homes, they're making deals with tons with builders and building an entire neighborhood and buying every single single family home in that neighborhood because that builder just built the Trump's doing it is great. He saw this happening, see, and he saw how they were destroying the market, like you said, Rocky for those first time home buyers and making him impossible.
Speaker 2: So I'm really surprised he.
Speaker 11: Even did this. To be honest with you, I didn't even know that he knew this was going on. So yeah, I agree, it's it's a great move.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really yeah.
Speaker 3: Because these companies they have billions of dollars, so they can kind of wait things out a little bit and just drive that price up. They don't need their rent money or whatever right now. So, yeah, they drive it up. And as anyone who's bought a house knows, it goes by the comps. And if every comp around is all of a sudden, you know, an exorbitant price, guess what yours is going to be too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well that's.
Speaker 11: Look.
Speaker 1: When we was right on the money, having just sold our house a couple of years ago, our goofy next door neighbor got mad at us because we'd lived in a house for twenty years. Guess what, we sold it for a lot more money than we bought it for. He's like, well, what you're doing is jogging up the Texas around here, Like, what do you want me to do here? Dude, live here the rest of my life and I don't want to be here. Yeah, but it's also driving the price of his house too, That's what I told That's what I told him. I was like, you don't get the equation. Huh.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, well look I understand being upset, but people got to live their life, you know what I mean.
Speaker 6: You don't.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna expect you to stay in your house. You don't want to.
Speaker 1: Just to help that guy, it's me and my wife and a one acre lot in a five bedroom house. Sure we'll stick around just for old times sake.
Speaker 3: You gonna now let me ask you this. Do you miss the house and the privacy and the own driveway and the own garage and stuff.
Speaker 11: Oh?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I hadn't lived in because we live in a condo. Now if you didn't know that, and and I hadn't lived in an apartment since I was early single.
Speaker 3: Right well, I mean you got that top floor of the whole building, and you know, got the east wing in the west and all that, so it's not.
Speaker 1: Too bad you got to ride the uh uh, my private elevator is on the fritz right now. I do have to take the elevator with the other people.
Speaker 2: That's why.
Speaker 3: That's why I asked you a little rock slumming around with the rural folks now, and you could be sitting in your own house.
Speaker 1: To get in there, you know, the private elevator whisk me right down.
Speaker 2: Right there, the car waiting right there.
Speaker 1: And the shared elevator smells like fart. You shouldn't have to deal with that, I know. Right with that, we check in with traffic and whie what's going on?
Speaker 2: And the struggles of life. I kind of that's it. It's tough.
Speaker 1: It's a druggle out there.
Speaker 8: From the u SEE Health Traffic Center, you see house Weight Loss Center offer a surgical and medical obesity care and expertise call five one three, nine three nine twenty two sixty three, nine three nine twenty two sixty three. And on seventy five where it's like a southbound ronal rigging highway to Norwood label with the road work about a ten minute drive now with the so down's going back to Shepherd and we do have Fifth and Main with an accident now. And also on Columbia Parkway at Delta Avenue, we picked up a crash and police are there and getting reports now an overturned vehicle. This is on Glen Way at Rapid Run Pike. And watch for the work to get that taken care of underway, so you will see some slowdowns in seventy one north bound Register Stewart filling in southbound seventy five as their chinals to the Brent Spence about a five minute drive down. I'm Rick Schaperdinger's Radio seven hundred WDLW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW Weather Center for to night partly cloudy, thirty five for tomorrow partly cloudy. In sixty two it is fifty two. Now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 15: SO Whiplash Wednesday, Wincing Your meets up with Mark Kenna on the court.
Speaker 2: Will the Musketeers a force a no fly zone?
Speaker 16: Poor?
Speaker 2: Will the Golden Eagles saw off with a win?
Speaker 15: Catch the call live today at six thirty pm on seven hundred w l W or stream of the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 17: This report is sponsored by Arroyo Grande with Raymond de Royo.
Speaker 1: I'm Raymond Arroyo.
Speaker 18: I'd like to invite you to my new podcast, Arroyo Grande Discover Life Lessons, Practical advice and inspiring examin.
Speaker 1: Rocky talking about affordable housing and or lack thereof. Let's talk to you as Sean and Della High. Hey Sean, what do you got?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 19: So, I had a couple of neighbors or a neighbor that sold their house to a company called Conrex. They paid one hundred and twenty thousand in cash for it. Sorry, I'm starting my truck, but they paid one hundred and twenty cash.
Speaker 2: And then I went on.
Speaker 19: The website like a year later, just checking the property values and they sold. Conrects sold that house the Conrects Company Incorporated for three hundred and ninety eight thousand dollars four months later.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 19: Wow, and there's not a house in my neighborhood where three hundred ninety eight thousand.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 3: So I mean in your experience then what what what jacked it up? Just were other houses around the area?
Speaker 19: No, Now, it wasn't even four months later in conrect sold at the conrect Company Incorporated.
Speaker 9: Okay, okay, it's.
Speaker 2: On the Ham of the County.
Speaker 6: Whatever that website is.
Speaker 11: You can check on.
Speaker 19: Properties and you know, history of sales and stuff.
Speaker 1: Well that's that's and thanks Sean in this corporate buyaps man.
Speaker 3: Well again, hopefully the Trump's is going to do something about that. That was the big announcement that that came out today. So let's uh, let's get Jay on in Dayton right quick. Hey Jay, what you got on the mayor and the tax hike?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 6: You guys are incredible, uh for starters.
Speaker 20: H And I just want to give gratitude for you guys.
Speaker 19: Bringing some uh you know, uh, just up to day information about things that matter.
Speaker 6: Rocky, both of you guys.
Speaker 1: So what we appreciate it and thanks and thanks Jay and we lost j uh So coming up here we're gonna be talking about this. This has been all over the news. H We have our our good buddy, our tech guy, Dave Hatter is going to be joining us to talk about the X the Twitter thing. What are you gonna call it?
Speaker 3: Grock Grock AI, which is the AI version of series of X. Well, no, but it's like it's like the chat gpt of because yeah, that's one Google has that now too. Yeah, and so what you know, A lot a lot of times I see used is people will go like say I don't know some fact about a movie or something, and then somebody will in the you will go, hey, Grock, explain what happened here? And then it'll go through and and kind of lay lay it all out just subjectively. But I guess now what it's being used for is it's used to undress women. And I, in fact came across one of these dads, and you know me, I never like to look at those sort of things online on the Twitter.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. We have to do research on this program. We wouldn't bring stuff to you the American people. Were we not to look into it ourselves?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 3: It is our jobs, yes, if not our calling duty. So for instance, I believe it was yesterday, there was a it was a picture of a woman in a like.
Speaker 2: A cop outfit.
Speaker 3: Cop outfit, okay, it's like sitting on a couch, and it said like, hey, groc would you like to see what I look like in a bikini? And again I didn't want to look at it, but I I you know, I showed purposes. I had to click on it and boom, there she was in a very very very small bikini. Wow. Yeah, it's just that. So you see these sort of things all over again. I don't really look at her, but I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: See, I think that's I don't I remember reading this story. It's been a few weeks, but I think that's how this hall started, with some lady with just goofing around with it. And and it was a picture. There's a posted a picture of herself and go, hey, what would that what would I look like naked or something? And sure enough, bo.
Speaker 2: And I think the issue is it's not.
Speaker 3: You know, a and it's it's not a real picture. So I don't know if it can be considered like a loot image or you know, anything illegal like that, because it's not actually a picture of a woman naked for real. It's what AI's derivation of that which looks on. We will talk to her, but it's complicated. But I want to get to the bottom of this because I don't want to see any more of this smut ed on on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Do you know how many people are going to do that? Right now? We we'll be talking about it after the news News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 17: News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati.
Speaker 12: President Trump defends the ICE officer who opened fire meantime angry reaction from leaders in Minnesota.
Speaker 2: This is the four o'clock report.
Speaker 12: I'm Matt Reevee breaking now demonstrations on the streets of Minneapolis right now after a woman was shot and killed by an ICE officer. President Trump, posting on Truth, Social and Defense of the officer, says the reason that these incidents are happening is because, he says, the radical left is threatening, assaulting, and targeting law enforcement officers and ICE agents on a daily basis. The Minnesota Governor Tim walls moments ago.
Speaker 21: What we're seeing is the consequences of governance designed to generate fear, headlines and conflict. It's governing by reality TV, and today that recklessness costs someone their life. I've reached out to Secretary of Homeland Security Christy Nome and I'm waiting to hear back. Let me be clear that Trump and his Donald Trump and his administration may not care much about Minnesota. That's been pretty evident, but we love this state. We won't let them tear us apart. We'll not turn against each other. To Minnesotan's I say this, I feel your anger. I'm angry they want to show. We can't give it to them. We cannot. If you protest and express your First Amendment rights, please do so peacefully as you always do. We can't give them what they want.
Speaker 13: And this is a special report from ABC News. I'm Michelle Franz and following a deadly shooting in Minneapolis carried out by an ICE agent, there are conflicting accounts about what happened as immigration operations took place.
Speaker 22: It happened on a residential street south of Minneapolis's downtown. A thirty seven year old woman positioned her red Honda Pilot in the middle of the road. Videos show masked agents closing it on foot, demanding that she exit the vehicle. The suv wented a reverse and then accelerated. One of the agents fired three times. Homeland Security Secretary Christy nolamesays the officer acted in self defense.
Speaker 23: It was an active domestic terrorism.
Speaker 1: Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Fry.
Speaker 24: Having seen the video of myself, I want to tell everybody directly that is book.
Speaker 22: Stephen Portnoy, ABC News Washington Minneapolis as may are also accusing Ice of stoking fear and panic with reckless raids and using profanity telling Nice to get out of his city.
Speaker 13: The police chief says it appears the woman was not a target of any law enforcement investigation.
Speaker 2: This is ABC all right.
Speaker 12: Check your drive home now. Greatest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 8: From the UC Health Traffic Center. U SEE Health's Weight Loss Center offers surgical and medical to b city care and expertise called five point three ninth three nine twenty two sixty three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three and work on seventy five southbound between Ronald Reagan Highway and Norwood Lateral has about a ten minute delay. We've got some announced Pactor Shepherd through the area. Anton seventy five northbound Mitchell de Paddock were stopped from go now an overturned vehicle reported to Glen Wayne. Your rapid run pike has police on the scene. Columbia Parkway at Delta Avenue of crash fifth and main accident is Well and Westwood Northern and McHenry. We have the accident with the cruise there to seventy five eastbound US and forty two to Lovela Madeira's about a five minute drive. Southbound seventy five is sewing from right around as Heir Charles to the Brent Spence Bridge, about a five minute trip. I'm Rick shrempdeu's Radio seven hundred double d well w Now.
Speaker 25: The latest forecast from the Jake Sweeney Chevrolet Weather Center Jake Sweeney Chevrolet Better for Less and.
Speaker 2: The Tri State Weather JED.
Speaker 24: I at increasing clouds in a morning low of thirty nine degrees as for tomorrow, clouds and afternoon spotty showers. High though is sixty two at night more of the same, a low down to fifty six. More rain into Friday. From your severe weather station. I'm nine first one Chief Meteorologist, Steve Rawley News Radio seven hundred.
Speaker 12: W l W fifty one degrees radar roll clear. Update on the Ohio governor's race. Democrat Amy Acton has chosen the former head of the Ohio Democratic Party, David Pepper, as her running mate. Republican Vivague Ramaswami's choice of Senate President Rob McCauley is his running mate for lieutenant governor, and the current governor, Mike DeWine. Talking about that on the Bill Cunningham Show this afternoon, he supports Ramaswami's choice of McCauley.
Speaker 20: Significant race. You know, we're electing the governor and that's a big, a big job in a big, big position. But I think he really hit a home run today with Rob McCully good, good choice, very very very good choice.
Speaker 12: Election is in November. Governordwine can't run, he's term limited. They caught the ribbon for the renovated Duke Energy Convention Center in downtown Cincinnati. Two hundred and sixty four million dollar projects started in the summer of twenty twenty four. You will not recognize it both outside and inside. Completely different look as the city looks to grow it's convention business by being more competitive.
Speaker 26: We have brand new digital boards throughout the entire building. That's part of the technology upgrade. So we've upgraded technology throughout, top of the line Wi Fi. Everything in the back of house, mechanical, electrical, and plumbing has all been updated and upgraded. So I'm really happy with how it turned out from both an esthetic perspective as well as a.
Speaker 12: Functions complete overhauled. Joe Rudimiller is with three c DC who is giving tours to the media today and the first event to be held is going to be a week from Friday, the Reds Fest event.
Speaker 14: WLW Sports is a Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits, Wine and Tobacco in Party Town with thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky. Cleveland Browns have requested an interview with Bengals offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher regarding their head coaching vacancy. College basketball tonight Zaviers at Marquette six point thirty here on seven hundred WLW, Missouri will take on the Kentucky Wildcats at seven on ESPN fifteen thirty Reds Update. Get the latest on the reds tonight the Hostove League starting at six oh five right here on seven hundred WLW Bill Edison, seven hundred WLW Sports.
Speaker 2: On Wall Street.
Speaker 12: The Dow closed down four hundred and sixty six s and P five hundred down twenty four nasdak up about fourteen, Next News four to thirty Matt Reese News Radio seven hundred w WELWD.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Mel's Auto Glass.
Speaker 27: Mel's Autoglass is a clear choice for your autoglass repair, replacement and recalibration needs. Call Mels first at five one, three, five, six, three, seventy seven, seventy one and let Mels handle the details. Family owned for thirty eight years, Mels brings certified technicians right to you.
Speaker 2: Sixteen rules you would recruit what I meaning?
Speaker 28: Marketing Text messages can sit, no required to purchase message in data rates me apply.
Speaker 2: The team's looking good this season?
Speaker 16: I think so, man, I missed playing football ever since I turned forty. I just can't find that fire I used to have. Think it could be lower testosterone.
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 16: I was feeling the same way after forty. The body has lest stosterone and men mose the redge. That's why I take Eugenics total T two. That's the testosterone booster, right, Yes, but total T two is their brand new formula that's skyrockets natric oxide levels, and as little as three hours since they started taking it, I've been lifting like when we played for Coach Carter. My energy is way up and it even spiced up things between me and the missus. Are they still giving out complementary bottles?
Speaker 28: Yep, just in the text text edge three two one three two one for your complementary bottle of Nugenics total T two the next generation testosterone booster text now and will include a bottle of Nugenics thermo x our newest, most powerful fat burner ever, absolutely free. Text edge the three two one three two one. That's e edge to three two one three two one. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 2: This is Jim Hello gym started advert ring.
Speaker 1: Rock is being used to manufacture sexam pictures.
Speaker 3: Yes, to undress women. But again, as we said earlier, the issue is you can ask roc to hey, here's this, you know whatever, here's DEMI Levado, right, I mean, just just to pick somebody right now, make her up here naked boo, and it'll do it. Now, it's not actually her naked, it's an AI drivetive, but it looks very, very very real. But still it raises the question do people out there really want to see this stuff?
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: Well, let's talk to a fellow who knows all about this, and we can We're going to have we can debate the moral the morality of it all. It's just insane, Dave had her. You can speak to the tech issue here. Happy New Year, buddy, Good to talk to you again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thanks guys.
Speaker 6: Happy New Year to both you and all your listeners. Good to be back. And this is an interesting topic because I don't know that there's really going to be a perfect solution for it, but just based on the way these AI chatbots and large language models work, So yeah, it's an interesting one that's created a lot of controversy, especially in the tech world.
Speaker 1: Well, and one of the things too is yeah, okay, it's it's one thing, and it's and that's I'm going to say, it's not right under any circumstances. But a lot of this is like, it's not kitty porn, but it's nonetheless. One lady said that some of the somebody found a picture of her when she was fourteen, and I've used it to make I guess, naked pictures of her. That's just that's insane.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, I agree, And obviously that's also illegal in most places. Right you get into the whole child sexual abuse material angle of this, And you know, I was just just reading up on this a little bit to kind of see where the lass because this all started about a week ago when apparently, you know, there was this whole bikini craze for a while and even Musk like made a picture of himself in a bikini, and you know, I think that led people then, and there's apparently you know, I mean, this sort of stuff has gone on for a long time. I know we've talked about it in the past, like in the early days of deep fakes, the idea that you could create very realistic looking photos of people and videos of people being and things and in compromising positions and so forth. So you know, this is just the extension of that.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 6: You know, most of these these uh I hate the term chatbot personally, but that's what most people seem to think of. I mean, it's really a generative AI large language model.
Speaker 5: Cool.
Speaker 6: You know, whether it's Jemini, chatzpt Grock, quad perplexity, those are probably the five biggest ones most people know about. You go in and enter prompt and it's you know, it's a non deterministic model. It uses probability to generate text, video, audio, whatever. Obviously that the ability to generate much more realistic stuff continues to approve. And this whole bikini thing seem to have started this. And then apparently at least someone saw a picture of two girls estimated to be I think the age of like twelve and fourteen, who are in you know, these sort of sexually suggestive things, and then that led us all the sort of kick off. So at least from what I've read, I have not seen any accusation of what I would describe a real child sexual abuse material. Now I'm not an attorney, so you know, take what I'm paying for, what it's worth is how I understand it. All you know of like actual needs of children and so forth. Although I don't know that that couldn't be done, it hasn't happened. And probably has happened sadly and sickly somewhere. I think for the most part, you know that this was more of an issue where you know, it's taking photos of children and then like putting them in these suggestive attire. Again, from what I've read about, I haven't seen any of this stuff myself, guys. And then you know, people started to complain about it, and then you know, Groc itself responded, and then Musk responded, and you know, Musk said, quote, anyone using groc to make your legal content will suffer the same consequences if they upload I legal content, and then apparently ask the safety team said, you know, essentially the same thing. So, you know, part of the problem with all these, guys is you have billions of people in the world, bellions of people using these tools. And while you can try to build all kinds of guard rail into these things to stop people from saying, hey, show me how to make an explosive device or whatever it is, you wouldn't want them to do. You know, since since the beginning of the chatbot praise, we've seen people doing what's known as jailbreaking quote unquote, This idea of I'm going to attempt to get this tool to do something it's not supposed to do. And you know, I think one of the things that would be tricky about this is why I put my programmers out on is Okay, can I if there's a photo of two younger children. Now, obviously if they're like infants, for very small children, that's one thing. But you know, I know lots of and I have known lots of people over the years who seem to look much older than their age, especially if they were dressed up. You know, can it accurately look at a photo, determine someone's age and then say, okay, this falls under the realm of the legal activities because the age of the person a person's in this photo, you know, would put them into the sea sam space versus this is adult. And again, I still think it's distasteful for people to go in and say, okay, you know, put someone into bikini or whatever. I'm not a big fan of the whole idea, and I don't waste my time doing stuff like this, but I think to see sam angle the child's sexual abuse material when you get that urn, that's what it means is a concern, And you know, certainly. I'm glad we have laws to try to tamp that stuff down. It'll be interesting to see where this goes over time, because I'm not sure how they're going to stop it entirely. Just find the nature of the way these things work, right.
Speaker 3: So look, if AI in GROC is so advanced technology and they're smart people behind it, isn't there a seemingly simple way to fix it, to not allow it to do this?
Speaker 2: Can't someone whoever's in charge.
Speaker 3: Of this thing like just not allow you to prompt a what would be considered a Lewde picture of someone.
Speaker 6: Well that's a good question, Rockie, But you know your definition of lose photo of someone in mine are probably different, all right. I don't know, We're ours are probably very just sent It's very similar, actually, but a.
Speaker 1: Whole other level, by the way, But I don't want to be in partners. You guys are amateurs.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, So so you know you've got that whole who decides. Now again, we have laws, thankfully to say certain types of things are illegal, and you know, I'm glad those laws exist, and I'm glad we go after this sort of exploitation kids for sure. But again, if if you have a photo of let's just say teenagers, right, let's say like a sixteen year old teenager. I would say, if you just asked your average human being, you know, okay, how old does this person look? Especially if they look older. You know, some are going to assume that they're probably legitimate adults, So I don't again, you know, you, I'm sure they've got rules.
Speaker 29: Built into all of these things. Like you say, people try to deal break them and get them to do things they weren't designed to do, they aren't supposed to do, generate illegal content all the time, you know, And one of the ways that that's often done is you just keep at it, right, You ask it a question, knowing it, you prompt it with something you know it's not supposed to answer, and it says, yeah, sorry, I can't do that, I can't tell you that or.
Speaker 6: Whatever, and then you keep coming back at it with different perspectives, different angles, different takes on it, until you finally get it to do what you want again. And then these things, you know. One of the reasons why I think some of the bloom is off the ai ros is the way these large language models work. Again, it's all probabilistic, right, you can send a prompt to any one of these things and get a different answer every single time. It's not deterministic. You know, it's not like two plus two equals four all the time. It uses a probabilistic model for what it comes up with. And that's why again I'm saying I think it's a tricky challenge. You could certainly put rules in there and say, Okay, if someone asks a prompt that has this word in it, or has this phrase in it, or is asking for this sort of thing, simply say I can't do that. But when people get really creative when they're prompting, I'm not sure you could can see that every possible way someone could eventually ask it to do something it's not supposed to or you know, it's not allowed to do, Like this situation right here. It's a tricky challenge. I would be surprised personally if they ever come up with a bullet based on the way these things currently work, a bulletproof way to stop something like this.
Speaker 1: We're talking to Dave Hatter and guys, we've talked about this several times on this show. You've got people who have really seemingly nothing better to do than to sit around and do exactly what you're talking about, Dave, Do just sit around and go, Okay, I'm going to say, I'm going to ask the same question of this thing whatever five hundred times until I get the results that I want. Is that not what happens here?
Speaker 6: And yeah, you know you just came trying different takes on the prompt until you sometimes can get it, you know, to jail to jail break it, and get it to produce something it's not supposed to produce. And I mean there have been plenty of examples. Now, you hope over time those the programmers building these things and the models themselves get better, but you know, we continue to see examples where people are able to jail break these things and get them to do things that are not supposed to do. This to me just seems like the latest example of it, and you know, it's generated a lot of press. The response from x slash Musk was interesting, you know, but I do get his point of Okay, you know, one way to potentially tamp it down, especially if there's not a clear cut technological solution. And again, you know, I'm not an expert on the end working for these things. Got I just know how it generally works, and that's where I see some problems with it. Is to say, okay, you know, if you upload content that is illegal, or you use my tools to generate content that is illegal, we will report you to the police. You know, and you know you will suffer the consequences of whatever legal actions occur as a result of that. You know, that will hopefully tample out of it down simply because people I'm sure typically Musk means things you know, or those things when he says he will, I fully expect, you know, they'll start reporting people if this sort of thing continues. So hopefully that will that will put some of it to rest. But clearly that won't get there. That will not take care of all of it.
Speaker 3: And and Dave, I know you're not a lawyer, but but to me, but we we have this conversation often when when it comes to AI, and that's the whole well, what is real and what isn't? Because my you know, throughout all of history, if my eyeballs tell me it's real, it's real. But now that's not necessarily the case. So couldn't someone who uh, you know, said, show me so and so in a in a bikini. Right, couldn't that person make the case well, I didn't upload a picture, a real picture of her in a seductive outfit. It's yeah, it's not real, it's generated.
Speaker 2: I didn't. It's not actually her. Could couldn't that be a defense?
Speaker 6: Well, you're right, I'm not an attorney, but probably maybe. But I guess here's my here's my angle on that. You know, you entered the prompt that created that photo, the photo quote unquote, let's call it an image since it's not a photo, right, I entered the.
Speaker 3: Prompt to create a a fictitious, non real photo that looks real.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, And if that fits into the child sexual abuse material bucket or some other illegal type of content, you know you initiated the prompt that created that. I think someone could argue that, Okay, you know, yes, that image is not real, but it fits the Again. Then you know, guys, we're getting into a wild West kind of territory here. Whether it's not an attorney and there's no case law on any of this stuff at this point, and this is one of the reasons why copyright is such a problem with this. I'm like unless something is recently changed. You know, if you go in today and you create an image us in one of these tools, you can't copyright it in the traditional way because who owns it? You know. Yeah, you could make an argument that, well, it was you know, your intellectual property that wrote the prompts that created it. I don't know, It's this is all going to get really interesting, you know, as these tools progress and get better and better and better at creating realistic looking audio video or video and audio sorry, video and images is what I'm trying to say, plus audio as well. Right, the whole deep sate angle of audio and the ability to run scams on people because you close someone's voice as a whole separate and very concerning topic. It comes back to what you said, Rock. I mean, you're getting to the point where you cannot assume that just because you see something online, even if it comes from a quote reputable source unquote, is legitimate at this point, right, it could have been created by one of these tools. And you know, even smart people get fooled by this stuff occasionally. And you know, someone who you normally trust, some reputable media outlet, you know, especially in a breaking news type situation could share things that are not real, and that's one of the reasons why everyone needs to slow down, take a breath, and you know, consider that anything you see at this point has at least a you know, probably fifty to fifty shot of being fake, especially if there's some sort of political or financial angle to it.
Speaker 1: All Right, Well that Dave will have this conversation for the next twenty five years. I'm guessing I started hate twenty five hundred years, but did Dave hadter It is our pleasure to talk to you again, son, Happy New Year. We'll be talking to you again soon.
Speaker 6: Always my pleasure. God.
Speaker 1: Thanks so yep, thanks for much, Dave. And with that thought in mind, let's check in with our AI.
Speaker 8: Traffic he I'm guaranteed human, remember that refute those claims. Rich from the UC Health Traffic Center. U SEE Health's Weight Laws Center offers surgical and medical obesity care and expertise called five one three, nine three, nine, twenty two, sixty three nine three nine twenty two, sixty three two seventy five westbount Montgomery to seventy one is sewing as we have a crash on the left shoulder. Seventy five southbound wal rigg And Highway to norw lateral about a five minute drive with the sonnounced back to Sheppard and seventy one makes that seventy five southbound after Twelfth Street in Kentucky. It's an accident that takes up the left plane the two seventy five eastboud Taylor Mill to double A Highway in Kentucky. We've got about a ten minute delay with a crash here, and we have seventy five sowing northbound Mitchell to Paddock. That's up to a minute commute my bricks Shrump News Radio seven hundred wd WELW.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for tonight partly cloudy, thirty five for tomorrow, partly cloudy. In sixty two it is fifty two now News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 17: Is it true Tom Brenman was once a plumbing company mascot named Terry the Toilet.
Speaker 2: That is basically not true.
Speaker 17: It's it true Tom Brenneman keeps top secret documentation that can never fall into the hands of the Canadians.
Speaker 2: I'm legally bound not to answer that. Is it true?
Speaker 17: Listening to Tom Brenneman in the morning is a joyful experience that.
Speaker 30: Is one hundred percent true. Please join me in the gang for the latest news, weather, traffic, sports, aviation updates, ieopening interviews, and plenty of good times.
Speaker 17: Tom Breneman tomorrow morning at five am on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Taking a Walk Podcast.
Speaker 9: I'm Buds Night, host of the Taking a Walk Podcast.
Speaker 2: Step with Us into the world.
Speaker 1: All right, bag with Eddie and Rocky. It is Wednesday, so I'm assuming we do have Willie at five o'clock Correxor. That is correct.
Speaker 2: I spoke with him a little bit ago.
Speaker 1: He's fired up as usual as usual going on and we'll we'll again. It's the topic du jour. We could come up with a topic. Hey, Willy, let's talk about the rings around Saturn. Okay, you're speaking of that.
Speaker 2: Back in nineteen forty one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, until then at got a little So this is These are from internal numbers that I get from ESPN and hopefully they don't mind me sharing them. So the you know, the manchers out there. Oh, there's all these bowl games. Nobody pays attention to these bowl games. Nobody watches these bowl games. Yes they do. And this is just on the non college football playoff bowls. The thirty three non CFP Bulls on ESPN platformed every platforms averaged three point one million viewers, up thirteen percent from last year. This is their highest audience since the twenty fifteen season. Four Bulls saw their highest viewer viewership on record, while ten hit at least a five year high and eight hit a ten year high. His Bulls continue to deliver outsize audiences for ESPN.
Speaker 2: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: On E one, the twenty six games average two point four million viewers, and it has some of them listed here.
Speaker 2: The Citrus Bowl.
Speaker 3: Again, these are all non CFP bowls, which was Michigan and Texas, great matchup nine million viewers, Pop Tarts Bowl which everyone goes nuts about for sure, Georgia Tech and BYU eight point seven million, Gator Bowl, X million, Music City Bowl, five point three million Military Bowl which I did two point five million, which is their highest in years I think third highest ever for that bowl. I take all the credit for that. The Rate Bowl, I get the Rate Bowl between New Mexico and Minnesota. Okay, not exactly a marquee matchup four point four or five million, years best in two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Now, how much of that is gambling?
Speaker 1: How much as a gambling exactly?
Speaker 3: Maybe, But I'm not sure we as a company care why you're watching, just that you are watching, because that means ratings, that means.
Speaker 1: Revenue, absolutely what and it and that explains everything though done in I mean every all these people who are gambling on everything, and you pretty much sports gambling is legal in every state now right. I don't know if it's every date, but it's damn close. Yeah, And you got your app right there on your phone and you just start playing around. You start blah blah blah, who do you got in the New Mexico State game or whatever? Well, I've already been paid attention to that. Well, and then you start looking into it and the way you go.
Speaker 3: Correct and you know, but again people people are watching, and I think there's still uh so, by the way, so sports betting is currently leagueing thirty eight states plus Washington, d C, Puerto Rico. Yeah so, but look there's a lot going going forward, which is why these balls remain. You know, number one, people watch them, sure, right, and number two it's it's in a window of time where there's you know, there's not a lot going on, you know, and you got standalone windows, you got people off work, and it's a beautiful thing, which is why they're like, oh, then you do it with the bulls.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't see that happening because of everything I just read to you.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you there were a couple of times we were off that two weeks. There were a couple of times when I was sitting on the couch and I watching TV, just flipping the dollar around and I come up on a football game that I don't even know was on. Iver watch it. Yeah, we catch a little bit other. Yeah, sure, that's exactly right. So I think, you know, a lot of people are doing that, a lot of people.
Speaker 3: So I, you know, I understand when people say, oh, college football.
Speaker 2: Is ruined and nil, and look.
Speaker 3: At the situation go on where right now with the Washington quarterback, he committed that he's coming back. He announced he was coming back, which a is funny to me that people now make an announcement that they're coming back to the college that they supposedly committed to before you and they're never like screwed over it. But now then like then like the next day he's in the portal and he's at like a basketball game with Lane Kiffin at LSU.
Speaker 2: It's very and so yeah, I get that.
Speaker 3: I understand that there's a lot of things that are broken about it, but but a lot of people are watching.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you.
Speaker 3: The one thing related to this I thought was interesting was, you know, there was a who was It was another big, big you know, like like Donor person was basically like, look, I'm not I'm not investing in anymore because he's a These these kids don't even call and say thank you. And like if I'm a say I'm a you know, okay, I'm a Notre Dame alumni, and I want Notre Dame to be good. I want to invest money in some kids to come. I want you to be invested in this, in making the university, in this football program better. And that means more than one year. That means like, you know, so these people are finding out. So I gotta pay this kid for a year, and I want him to be all in as all in as I am. We ain't all in, not even closed, and he's gone the next year.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say that all of a Sudden, Alabama and all for some six million dollars whatever the case might be.
Speaker 2: You know, that's exactly here. It is right here. I found it.
Speaker 3: A long time Colorado booster is expressing his frustration with funding payments to players.
Speaker 2: Who have no loyalty to the program.
Speaker 3: Quote, you give them that check and the guy's going to are to hell with that.
Speaker 2: That ain't happening to me. No allegiance, no money.
Speaker 3: And then I mean even recently Troy Aikman, you know, because he was you know, you see ale a grad and he said, I'm I'm done with it. And I always I said, I gave money to a person or person's and not so much as a call or or a lunch or anything. And he said something done.
Speaker 1: See, I aren't you really murky legal waters though? With this stuff. That's what I always. I don't know how that stuff works. No, can y you can't obligate the kid to stay or it's not like signing up for the army or something. Hey you're going to be here two years and like it.
Speaker 3: No, you can't cook because as of right now, there is no binding language that keeps you there. So yeah, so you know, I think people are on were like, okay, yeah, come here part. Look, nobody loves that player likely doesn't love the university as much as you do. He's like he checked me, likes the opportunity that he may have to, you know, to play football and all that, but he's probably not invested full on the in the in the university, or he'd be at the first place he started at.
Speaker 1: Well that's the look it. I don't know, but I know you well enough to note that's the reason you went to Notre Dame. I mean you were as a kid. I'm sure that Notre Dame. Man, that's that was the castle on the hill. Yeah, there were other offers, but going there was a dream as a kid. Correct me if I'm wrong. Yes, And because of that, I wanted to win for the bloom goal. That's what I'm saying right now. I don't know if that as many.
Speaker 3: Kids are moved by that, especially if you're at your fourth school, Like, what do you tell your kids? Like, I'll be able to tell my kids and I already do, Like, hey played a Notre Dame. Was there four years? You know this year was great? This year wasn't. If you're at your fourth school, right, well, you ca and you know, and a lot of discuss. The good thing is there's a lot of discussion about people, you know, people saying, look, we've got to do something because just because something's working well now doesn't mean it's not broken or breaking.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of times things are you know, look at look at an economy.
Speaker 2: Boy, things are.
Speaker 3: Great, Well, the machines are in motion here where it's not going to be great soon. And that could be what's going on with with college football?
Speaker 1: Well would when were we before the break or shooting might have been just the other day we talked about the kid who it was on like a seventh school or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, TJ. Finley, So in seventh school in seven years?
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean you gotta, you gotta, you gotta start there. Can we start there and say that that's that can't be? And and you know, as Nick Saban and others have said, I would allow one transfer as a non graduate and if you're a gradual, can maybe you get another one. But you know, before you're as a freshman, saw more junior, you shouldn't be on your fourth school.
Speaker 1: I just don't agree.
Speaker 2: So I don't think I should be with that.
Speaker 1: We take in with traffic and weather, what is going on. I just say I'm glad they fixed college football. I want to reiterate that point. You're so happy to have a lot of more fishing to do well.
Speaker 8: From the UC Health Traffic Center and you see Hel's of Weight Loss Center offered surgeryom and medical obesity care and expertise called five one three, nine three nine, twenty two sixty three, nine three, nine twenty two sixty three. We have a seventy five southbound from Western Avenue to the Brent Spence with about a five minute drive. The seventy one southbound MLK to the Brent Spence also stop and go two seventy five traffic east bound between US forty two and level of Madeira, so it's about ten minute drive. Earlier crash in that area has cleared. Seventy one is a little heavy northbound between Smith Edwards and Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway, and we have seventy five northbound Mitchell to Paddock with about a ten minute trip. In southbound seventy five Ronald Reagan and Norwood lateral extra ten minutes here Trent, he's a radio seven hundred double do well double.
Speaker 1: The forecast from a seven hundred WLW weather center for tonight partly cloudy, thirty five for tomorrow, partly cloudy. In sixty two it is fifty two. Now News Radio seven hundred WLWA.
Speaker 2: A lot of people get their kicks talking trash about America.
Speaker 15: That just goes to show how ignorant they are.
Speaker 1: Someone needs to sit their butts down and give them a good solid dose of Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 8: Willie will teach them how lucky they are to be American.
Speaker 2: Do they really think it's better in Russia? Hell?
Speaker 10: No, better in Haiti. No one wants to be in Haiti. Better in Canada.
Speaker 17: I don't want poutine, I want Bill Cunningham.
Speaker 1: He's a great American.
Speaker 16: Bill Cunningham Tomorrow at twelve noon on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 13: This report is sponsored by Chumba Casino dot com.
Speaker 1: Hey's Ryan Seacrest here and if you're looking for some serious fun, head over to chumbatcasino dot com.
Speaker 31: At Chumby Casino you can play all your favorite social back.
Speaker 1: With eddiean Rocky Willie coming up here after the top of the hour. So rock We've we've talked about this before. I mean, we're just catching up with some old weird news from the UH over the basically the middle of last month. We've talked about being trapped in quicksand before.
Speaker 3: Yes, I feel like like, certainly when I was a kid, that was like you had to really really get scared of that.
Speaker 1: You see all of the old movies. If you get trapped in quicksand you were done, man, that was it. Well, this this guy and this reminds me of you. You saw that one hundred and twenty seven hours movie, right, didn't we talk about that, the one where James Franko gets trapped in the cave. Oh yeah, that thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the one that was based on the true story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, Well this guy was hiking in that's same area Arches National Park in Utah. So he's apparently he didn't see the movie because he's out there on the second day of his personal backpacking trip by him obviously on his own hiking in the I mean, the serious wilderness. He's walking through the can to a canyon floor when suddenly he found himself up to his knee in quicksand fortunately brought along an emergency satellite beacon which was picked up by emergency responders. The team got a ladder in boards, putting, got the lettering, blah blah blah, worked his legs loose. By the time they got him out of there, he was up to his thighs in it. But you know, so he's being interviewed and he said, you know, in quicksand, you're extremely buoyant. Most people won't sink past their wist in Quicksand. Well, well, where did they come up with this in all these movies?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to remain being deathly afraid of this.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, look, I'm not going to try it, so.
Speaker 3: But what happens if he gets sucking my to my waist? He didn't say anything about how I get out of that.
Speaker 1: You're not going anywhere apparently, Yeah, I mean can you Well you can't or your feet aren't touching obviously touching the ground, So how can you walk? Can you swim in it?
Speaker 30: Know?
Speaker 2: These are things that keep me up at night, though, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not going to trust the old Tarzan movies that I used to watch. Now rock this sounds like something that would happen at your house. A guy in Sydney, Australia, Andrew McKay is a fella's name. He uh, he checked on he was checking on his house to see checking on his dog on his pet cam. Right, so when he checked his pet cam, he saw his dog, Thunder, had somehow opened the sliding glass door to get outside. So dogs pretty pretty smart. Well, he must have really had to pee or something. I don't know, but so you know, so old Thunder opens the door there, and so the guy goes, oh, well, he'll come back in. You knows, I'll be what he's doing obviously, So he comes back a little while later. Well, it seems like some of the other animals and his uh on his little farm there took advantage. And when he looked at it again, a steer named Sue and a horse named Cricket. We're walking around in his kitchen.
Speaker 2: So they found out how to get.
Speaker 1: Out to correct. Well, no, the dog was inside, opened the door. They walked in, so they're all just in there. Hey, this is pretty nice in here. So over the next hour and a half, McKay said, they took turns playing inside, knocking things off cabinets, and they drink almost all the water out of the fish ink.
Speaker 2: Poor fish.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine you're watching this all happen on camera.
Speaker 3: That would walk, That would suck. You never heard of a cow get in the house and the horse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you gotta steer in a horse walking around in your house. That's a that's a mass make when I would call my neighbor, would call somebody, would you go to the house and just shoe the animals out.
Speaker 2: And open the door and see if they see if they come.
Speaker 1: But like you said, that's a that's the first thing I thought of, the poor fish. But I don't know. Cows and horses won't eat a fish, will they, I guess.
Speaker 29: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But if it's just it's just like gold fish like that, it's just gonna go right down. Yeah, maybe we can talk to Willie about that. We shall see coming up after the news. Right now, News Radio seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 17: News, Traffic and Weather. News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Cincinnati.
Speaker 12: Demonstrations break out after a woman's killed by an Immigration and Customs Enforcement office. This is the five o'clock report. I'm Matt reeth S breaking now in Minneapolis. Anger follows the shooting of a woman by an officer with ICE. A mayor, a governor reacting this afternoon video shows an SUV with a bullet hole in the windshield, car crashed into a light pole, people throwing snowballs at agents and as a result, law enforcement deploying pepper spray and tear gas.
Speaker 13: This is a special report from ABC News. I'm Michelle Frands and ice operations in Minneapolis ending in an ICE officer shooting and killing a woman insider vehicle. Homeland Security Secretary Christy Nome called it a case of domestic terrorism, claiming the woman used her vehicle as a weapon.
Speaker 23: An officer of ours acted quickly and defensively shot to protect himself and the people around him. And my understanding is is that she was hit and is deceased.
Speaker 13: President Trump and a social media post says he watched a clip of the video and says the agent acted in self defense. Minnesota Governor Tim Walls calling for calm and says there will be a full investigation of the incident.
Speaker 21: It's beyond me that apparently from the federal government, from the Homeland Security Director herself, has already determined who this person was, what their motive was, and they hadn't even been taken out of the vehicle.
Speaker 13: Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Fry says he saw the video too, and accused federal immigration officials of spinning the circumstances angrily calling on them to leave a city. This is ABC New.
Speaker 12: And we check your drive home now this afternoon and the latest traffic, gan weather together.
Speaker 8: From the UC Health Traffic Center. You see health so Weight Loss Center offer a surgic come and medical ob city care and expertise call five three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three ninety three nine twenty two sixty three. Traffic is sewing on seventy five southbound Western Avenue to the Brench Bence Bridge and also from Ronald Ring and HIGHWAYD Norwood lateral through the road work, so down's there back to Sheppard about an eight minute delay on northbound seventy five. We're our slowing Mitchell to Paddock and northbound seventy one is heavy. Smith edwards from Ronald Reagan Cross County Highway to seventy five between Elevenon Road and Loveland Madeira on the eastbound side is an extra ten minutes now And in Kentucky, seventy five southbound from the Brent Spence down to Kyle's Lane is about a ten minute trip, and we have reports of an accident on the River Road between Hellside Avenue and Illinois Avenue. Thank you for the tip. Call Rick Schremp News Radio seven hundred WULW.
Speaker 25: Now the latest forecast from the Jake Sweeney Chevrolet Weather Center Jake Sweeney Chevrolet better for Less.
Speaker 24: And the Tri State Weather jed at increasing clouds in a morning low of thirty nine degrees. As for tomorrow, clouds and afternoon spotty showers. High though is sixty two night more of the same, a low down to fifty six more rain into Friday. From your severe weather station, I'm nine first Warning. Chief Meteorologist Steve Rowley News Radio seven hundred wl W.
Speaker 12: Forty nine degrees. This news brought to you by the Low te Center. The Butler County sheriff his name, calling Ohio state lawmakers who wrote a letter questioning the conditions of his shale.
Speaker 31: The Monday letter from three Columbus area Ohio lawmakers asks the state to inspect the Butler County jail more frequently after they say a July inspection showed dangerous and deteriorating conditions, largely from alleged overcrowding with ice detainees also being kept there.
Speaker 32: I refer to him in this video as the three Stooges. So here's what I'm going to tell you. For the Stooges, everybody else understands, we're not two hundred and fifty over, We're two hundred under. I can do two hundred more prisoners.
Speaker 31: As of January seventh, when Sheriff Richard Jones posted that video, the Butler County jail population was listed as one fifty six. The state's jail inspection from last year says total actual general housing capacity for the jail is eight hundred and forty four. On Jack Crumley News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 12: The lawmakers were also concerned about the share of not complying with state food service standard, something that was also cited in that state inspection from last year. Ohio Governor Mike Dwine praising Vivak Ramaswami for his choice of running made in the November election. Ramaswami running to succeed DeWine, who is term limited.
Speaker 20: The first big decision that a governor makes is picking the running mate, and in this case, he picked Colley. He was the Senate president from Northwest Ohio. Someone very well respected, and so I think that you know, that was a very very good decision. I wanted to praise that and congratulate him.
Speaker 12: Governor Dwine on the Bill Cunningham Show this afternoon, Swami, who went to Saint x and Ohio Senate President Rob McCauley are running against Davy Acton and her running mate David Pepper, who was the head of the Ohio Democratic Party, was also a Cincinnati City council member and Hamilton County Commissioner. Latest on the flu in Ohio, Director of the Department of Health telling the media this afternoon that influenza rates are high, number of cases rising.
Speaker 33: All of us are vulnerable. All of us need to do what we can to protect ourselves flu shot plus all the other tools that I described before, including good hand hygiene.
Speaker 12: Doctor Bruce vander Hoff more than nineteen hundred hospitalizations across Ohio as of last week, and that numbers way up from the previous week and from the same week a year ago.
Speaker 2: Seven one hundred. WLW Sports is.
Speaker 14: A Bengals update brought to you by Good Spirits Wine and Tobacco in Party Town with thirteen convenient locations in northern Kentucky Cleveland Browns have requested an interview with Bengals offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher regarding their head coaching vacancy. College basketball Tonight Zaviers at Marquette six thirty Here on seven hundred WLW, Missouri will take on the Kentucky Wildcats at seven on ESPN fifteen thirty.
Speaker 1: Red's Upday.
Speaker 14: Get the latest on the Reds Tonight the Hostove League starting at six oh five right here on seven hundred WLW Bill Edison, seven hundred WLW Sport.
Speaker 2: Closing Bell Wall Street.
Speaker 12: The down dropped four hundred and sixty six points to forty eight thousand, nine ninety six s and P five hundred fell twenty three NASDAC game thirty seven, Next news at five thirty matt Reez News Radio seven hundred WYLW.
Speaker 13: This report is sponsored by One Hour Heating and air Conditioning Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Winter is our serious business.
Speaker 13: One Hour Heating and air Conditioning.
Speaker 1: Alright back with Eddian Rocky and here it is Wednesday. Rock Yes, time for Wednesdays with Willy being brought to you by Joseph Chevrolet.
Speaker 3: And our first one of the year, Wednesdays with Willy and Willy when we started the off New year off with a very dour feeling about Cincinnati sports. Who's in worst shape right now, Wes Miller. And you see Duke Tobin, Zach Taylor and the Bengals, the Reds or.
Speaker 2: Deer Park football.
Speaker 18: Well, I'll say this, you know deer Park football. They won their first five games, and after that they won right in the crapper. You might recall Scott Souderfield at one point lost, won like five or six games, then won, then lost their last five games. I look at Wes Miller, it's not Miller time anymore unless you're drinking tequila. So you see right now, Bearcot basketball is completely in the dol drums. The knives are out for him. And then you got course the Bengals with Duke Tobin and Zach Shula, and there's nothing about unhappiness there. But the Reds, I'll say this there didn't make it of the playoffs, didn't They just lose like three in a row to the Dodgers, the greatest team money can buy. So at least with the Reds you have a circumstance where they actually went to the playoffs. Playoffs. I don't think the Bengals are close for a while. I don't think the Bearcats are going. You might throw in Richard Patino of the Xavier Musketeers. That's not too good either. In fact, they lost at home by forty one points to allow the team from Nebraska, for God's sakes.
Speaker 10: So everywhere I look.
Speaker 18: I see opportunities, and I think we've hit rock bottom.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing, Willie, I mean, we're That's kind of what the angle Rocket I were taking here because both college basketball teams still seem to be doing all that great. Obviously we're just talking about it. We're still what six weeks out from pitchers and catchers, so we got a little we're in the winter doldrums here.
Speaker 18: And I asked rock this question a couple hours ago. If somebody had said to you, Rocky, who has the best college football program in the state of Indiana, you would have said Notre Dame or Purdue. But no, it's the Hoosiers, the Hoosiers and the College Football pro and the Hoosiers. And in fact, as you know that, Scott Saderfield and John Cunningham, my brother, had the opportunity Cunningham did to hire the head football coach of the Hoosiers and failed to do. So what about that, Rocky.
Speaker 3: Well, all I can say, I mean, out of course Notre Dame did go the National title game last year in Indiana's you had to go to the national title game. So we'll kind of put that on hold for a minute. But I'm very happy for the success that the Hoosiers have had. You talk about a long time coming. If you are a long suffering Hoosier fan, you went a long long time for this, So good for them, folks.
Speaker 18: And the other thing, by the way, how did Notre Dame do in the National Championship game? Remember that score, Rockie?
Speaker 2: I believe it was a you know, I think it was two four. I'm not sure.
Speaker 18: I think I think it was forty five to one. It wasn't that close to one. Yes, I kicked, And so everywhere I look, I see opportunities everywhere I look.
Speaker 1: So Willie, let's uh, let's talk about what's going on. Report from the Southern Bureau. What is the very latest as far as your double wide in that neck of the woods goes. I'm just curious at this point.
Speaker 18: Things are not bad, and I want to thank iHeartMedia for establishing a first class broadcast center near Cape Coral in a double wide. I'm very happy. I'm good to be here. The equipment works about three quarters of the time, which is more than it ever I anticipated. It's better than there. And remember the first few weeks we had the new studios, we couldn't broadcast at all, and we couldn't take telephone calls, so that was a problem.
Speaker 1: Uh, well, we're man in the We're man in the home forward for you. Well, what what What's what's in the news right now? That's got Willy all fired up. I'm just let me ask you this, Willie. They're at the Southern Compound. Is it like your media center here at your house where you have a whole bank of TV monitors, you have CB radio shortway from Europe to all nine yards? Do you have that operational correct? You got it down there, Edie.
Speaker 18: It kind of depends on what station you watch. I'm trying to watch MS now so you don't have to. And if I watch MS now, brutal thugs wearing masks acting like Nazis executed a fine woman who was simply exercising your constitutional rights.
Speaker 1: Then I flip over to Fox News and I.
Speaker 18: Find out that the ICE agent was almost killed by the same woman in a vehicle who sought to run him down, having been ordered out of the car. She refused to do it. The ICE agent's life was in jeopardy. To save his own life, he shot her twice in the head. So in between Nazism and a justified shooting is based upon what station you watch. I prefer to believe that ICE agents, men and women who have taken the oath of office to do what's required to keep our community safe, acted correctly with a split sec life and death decision. And if that agent made the wrong decision, either he would be dead or his fellow ICE officials would be dead. On the other hand, if you watch MS now or CNN that this was a brutal assault by a Nazi type Gestapo agent who killed an innocent woman exercising her constitutional rights.
Speaker 10: Can you tell me, Rocky, what is it?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 2: I tend to agree with you. I mean telling we got to do this.
Speaker 3: If a cop tells you to do something, tells you to stop, tells you to quit what you're doing, what you're doing, you do it. And until we learn that these things will continue to happen. Did you see the part where the vehicle the woman it was registered in Missouri, So this was not even a Minnesota This is somebody that has either been encouraged to come in and enjoining these protests or what.
Speaker 2: I find that a little bit odd in trouble.
Speaker 18: Well, when they were actual arrests during this Summer of Love, in the summer of twenty twenty, the so called George Floyd riots, of course that was the Center of Love, eighty seven percent of those arrested did not have Minnesota residency, so they were shipped.
Speaker 10: In to do certain things in the Center of Love.
Speaker 18: So this woman from Missouri, I guess that's nothing better to do than to go to Minnesota, which is like minus five degrees with snow and ice everywhere, to protest these vicious Nazi Gestapo's killing and that men, women and children. I guess that's what she thinks. And I'm thinking, what world does she live in? And on the other hand, Eddie, you have ICE officials. Imagine being an ICE official. The assaults against you are up seventeen hundred percent. In other words, you're being beaten, you're being called rotten names, things are being thrown at you and at some point, sadly soon an ICE agent, an ICE policeman's going to be killed. And at that point, according to Jacob Fry, the mayor of Minneapolis, they shouldn't have been there in the first place and will celebrate the murder of a police officer.
Speaker 10: And I think that's where we are.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, this one certainly isn't going away anytime soon. This is all over both TVs. We have gone here.
Speaker 18: So yeah, in fact, tonight, aren't they worried about riots. I'm watching the coverage and you have the governor, and you have Keith Ellison, the attorney general, and Jacob Fry, the mayor, kind of saying that the behavior in the streets against law enforcement is justified. And another thing, Eddie, where are Minneapolis police the if the MPD get it, what a search worn? They've been told don't go there, And so nine to one one call was made by the Ice agents and none of the local police arrived. That they're done, they're gone, they won't go there. And this could be the winner of love. We'd have more love in the winter time.
Speaker 1: Looting stores, Well, why would they call the police off, though, Willie?
Speaker 18: Because they had a shooting and you have to notify local authorities, says shots been fired. Come here, we have a large crowd. They're gathering. They're going to do us harm. We need help.
Speaker 10: And they did not show up. That'll show up.
Speaker 3: Didn't show up because it's a mess, I guess, so a total mess. Yeah, so they know that they don't want the same thing to happen to them. You know, a bunch of riders show up and keep poking, poking, poke and poke and poking on these folks, and at some point you get pissed off and something tragic happens. That they don't want to put themselves in a situation, which is the same situation that happens in cities all across America with cops saying, you know, I want to do my job, but I'd rather just go home at night and see my kids and my family and not be you know, on the news.
Speaker 2: So here we are.
Speaker 18: You've become very passive. In other words, you don't get out of your car. You might, you might return nine to one one calls. You're not going to be proactive going into the streets seeking individuals with warrens. You're going to be recessive and passive, don't do much. I'm looking at the weather right now in Minneapolis is thirty six degrees in sunny, but in a couple of days it's going to be seventeen fourteen to ten. That means the riders have to put on muffins, got to put some hats on. When you loot some gym store, or you go against Apple and whatever, you're going to have to dress up a little bit.
Speaker 1: So Willie, let's go local here for a second. In regard to this very thing. The mayor's talking about increasing the the sale it's not the sales tax, it's the income tax. Downtown in and honor republic safety and and some other programs that benefit the poor to keep them out of trouble. Your thoughts about that is the factor matter.
Speaker 18: When he was running for reelection, did he mention an income tax increase?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 18: And secondly, they found eight point two million dollars to pay criminal protesters money. They're about to give Fiji about a million bucks. They're going to have chief fire Chief Washington about a million bucks. They can find lots of money for lots of silly stuff, but when it comes to law enforcement, hell, they can't put cameras outside playgrounds in the West End to maybe save the life of an eleven year old girl.
Speaker 10: They don't have money for that stuff.
Speaker 18: And I understand that Seth Walsh, a good friend of Scott Sloan, is going to run for state treasurer. He's done such a great job in Cincinnati. Looking at the money, he wants to get control of the state treasury.
Speaker 10: How about that one.
Speaker 3: Now, I would contest Willie that if there was a serious you know, either ballot in his or a call by the mayor, we got to raise taxes because we need to make our streets safer. And here's what we're going to do. We're gonna hire this many more cops. We're gonna employ this much more technology. It costs this. I think people would would be for it, but they know damn well that this has little to nothing to do with actually putting police officers and stopping crime. It has to do with all these these high flutine you know, community projects, sort of sort of commissions where there's there's a head and then there's another head of it, and there's another manager and there's another manager and nothing actually happens.
Speaker 10: How about Irish Rowley making a half million dollars.
Speaker 3: I want that job. I want that job. How do you get that? Either that or I want to be a Minnesota daycare operator. Well that's what I want to.
Speaker 29: Be in here.
Speaker 10: And I don't blame Irish Roley.
Speaker 18: If somebody offers you a half million dollars, you're probably going to take it to do a job. But you have you have, you have the queen eleven years old, and they promised two years ago to have cam and recording equipments in that playground and in the West End, and they failed to do it. So they've wasted the money we've given him. So now city council wants more money to waste more money on a bunch of bs. And instead of just the eight million dollars to the protesters, would hire eighty police officers, eighty more. But they spend the money with Alfonsko Hartstein, who's by the way, a fine civil rights attorney. Instead of spending money on law enforcement, they spend money on a bunch of crap and bs. And maybe the mayor has another car payment to make it he wants to get some extra money there. He's going to have the car, his third car repossessed, and so I'm looking at this group and I'm thinking, do we trust them with more money?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Well, wellie, see you're supposed to be working on your ten No, I'm working. I'm all fired of I know. That's say you're you're a yeah, you're all po And now that the judge is going to be mad at us, and I hate it when that hap.
Speaker 18: Well, I'm on vacation and I work. I work on vacation because I love what I'm doing. I'm glad. I want to be on more, not less, because American people need leadership, and damn it, I'm here to provide it. And by the way, how about just add pepper. Just add pepper, add pepper.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll get to the putting green. We'll see you later.
Speaker 10: God bless America.
Speaker 5: Thanks.
Speaker 1: Well, there he goes.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: Just add pepper that trick. Yeah, we got you, Willie somewhere in South Florida.
Speaker 4: With that.
Speaker 1: With that in mind, we check in with traffic and weather. What's going on from the U See Health Traffic Center. You See Hell's Weight Loss Center offers surgical and medical obesity care and expertise. Call five one, three, nine, three nine twenty two sixty three, nine three nine twenty two, sixty three seventy five northbomb Mitchell.
Speaker 8: The paddock is about a ten minute drive. Seventy one is swing north boond Dama Torontald Reagan Cross County Highway and on the seventy five south western Avenue of the Brent Spence about a ten minute tree now two seventy five sawers between US forty two and Loveland mcdeera. We do have river road between the Hillside Avenue and Illinois with an accident, and we thank you for the tip. Call on that seventy one southbound MLK to the brund Spence takes an extra six minute time.
Speaker 2: Brick SHREFP News Radio seven hundred W d welwed.
Speaker 1: The Forecastle is seven hundred WLW Weather center for tonighted partly cloudy, thirty five for tomorrow partly cloudy. In sixty two it is fifty two. Now News Radio seven hundred WLW okay.
Speaker 15: So whiplash Wednesday, windsay your meets up with Mark Kenna on the court. Will the Musketeers force a no fly zoned or will the Golden Eagles soar off with a win? Catch the call live today at six thirty PM on seven hundred w LW or stream of the iHeart Radio Act.
Speaker 13: This report is sponsored by Red Pilled America.
Speaker 34: Why haven't you listened to Red Pilled America?
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 34: You must have pronouns in your bio because if you don't, then you should be listening to Red pild Ama. It's a storytelling show for patriots. Listen to Red Pilled America on the iHeartRadio app. That's Red Pilled America.
Speaker 2: We're definitely going to be late to the concert. I feel like we should be there by now.
Speaker 1: I'm just taking it all right back with Eddie and Rocky just a little while longer. That Stove League in effect for tonight. They're big guy. But right now, let's talk about the latest and the Nick Reiner case as this thing progresses with our good friend Royal Oaks, ABC News, the legal Analyst. So, Royal, what are we What is the very latest other than the fact that this kid's attorney has jumped ship.
Speaker 5: Very bizarre twist. I mean, Alan Jackson rode into town weeks ago and confidently announced right he's on the job. But something happened and there are two possibilities that people are speculating about Number one money perhaps he thought Jackson thought that he could cut a deal and make sure that he would be compensated fairly, and now that ain't happening. Or Number two big time disagreement between Jackson on the one hand and somebody either in the crime or family members who maybe kind of running the show behind the scenes. As to mental health issues, should he plead insanity or not? Should the defense ask for a competency hearing where the judge could conclude, Hey, he's so gone, we can't even have a trial, so he's just going to stay in the hospital until he has a trial. Or the third option, Okay, we're going to go forward. But is han't a murder case. It's manslaughter because of schizophrenia or medication or whatever. All of these are question marks. We don't really have answers right now.
Speaker 3: So as of right now, then, Royal, I guess the Nick Reiner kid has a just a public defender?
Speaker 5: Is that it exactly a public defender who is very highly thought of. I'm sure that the system to the public Defender's office and the LA Superior Court made sure with somebody very capable. It doesn't automatically mean that Reiner can't afford a private lawyer. It could be that there was just a breakdown with private counsel and it feels like this thing has to go forward. But bottom line is that we are going to be looking between now and February. Some date in February, there's going to be another hearing an arraignment, and between now and then we may get a tip off from the new public defenders to where the defense is going to go in terms of a metal state defense.
Speaker 1: So let's break down those options. Royal, is this kid no matter what the vert well, we know what the verdict's going to be. Is he going to spend the rest of his life either in some kind of facility or in prison. Or is there a chance that this guy could see the line of day sometime.
Speaker 5: Yeah, here's the path for seeing the light of day. The DA wants murder, maybe even the death penalty, pretty unlikely in the case where you've got a possible schizophrenia diagnosis and medication issues and so on, but that's what the DA wants, and that's possible. Another possibility is that he is found guilty but of manslaughter. Now in California, you're guilty of manslaughter and it could be six, ten, eleven, twelve years depending on how many victims and the exact nature of the charges. So the bottom line there is he could actually be found guilty of manslaughter and out in a not two large number of years and get treatment while in the custody, get treatment out of custody. But yeah, he could see the light of day down the road.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 3: So what is the betting favorite right now, Royal that he's going to have some kind of insanity.
Speaker 2: Plea that he's going to enter. It was drugs, It was that sort of thing or what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, probably insanity is a long shot because it's a high bar in California like most other jurisdictions. The test is did he know right from wrong? We're gonna have all these aimlisters from the Conan O'Brien holiday party on that Saturday night and they're going to testify. Well, yeah, we saw Nick and he seemed weird and he was angry and he had a dust up with Bill Hayter from Saturday Night Live. He had an angry confrontation with his dad. But he didn't seem out of his It didn't seem like he thought everybody was a rhinoceros instead of a human. There's no reason to believe he didn't know right from wrong, And insanity is a long shot. But if you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia, which could create a situation where you have no touch with reality and he's on and he's off his meds, that is the more likely way to go. The other option I had mentioned is the competency hearing. If he is so far gone today, it's irrelevant what happened the day of the murders today. If he's so far gone that he can't help his lawyers, there's no trial because the court system will not force somebody to go to trial if he's bonkers and the lawyers are sitting there doing their best, but they can't consult with him. So those are the multiple mental health options.
Speaker 1: Royal Oaks from ABC is with this. So Royal, I did not realize. I assume that that level, whatever that deciding factor is, changes from a jurisdiction to a jurisdiction. But I did not realize you had to be like literally having hallucinations be considered legit insane when it was perfectly obviously everybody like you said at that party that there was something wrong with the kid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so when you deal with hallucinations and lack of touch with reality. That can come and go when you are schizophrenic, and it kind of depends on whether you're on your meds or not. You know, we hear these horrible stories about people who are kind of okay even though they've been diagnosed with schizophrena because they're on their meds, but they don't like the side effects off the meds, and boom, now they think it's a rhinoceros. Again, that's different from insan sanity. You know, there are different aspects to it, but it boils down to you didn't know right from want. So you knew it was your dad there. You knew you're killing a human being, but in your mind, you literally did not know that that was the wrong thing to do. That's how far gone you were. Those are the options for his lawyers to think about.
Speaker 1: All right with that, Royal Oaks, we appreciate it. I'm sure we're going to be talking about this for a while. Really appreciate it, you bet.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Thanks Royal.
Speaker 1: All right, Royal, thanks brought getting other news.
Speaker 3: Yes, so I don't know if you saw this, but I guess Peacock, which is one of the newer networks that is, yeah, you know, has some some big football games and what not on It's gonna be the first streamer they've announced to integrate new Dolby products that will quote enhance the sites and sounds of the game of their sports broadcast. Okay quote our live streams on Peacock are already in HDR, and we introduced Dolby ATMOS as well last year. Blah blah blah blah blah, great sound, great picture. And then and then it starts to dive into a new feature that many sports fans may like. When the AC four launches, fans will be able to personalize how they want to listen to games, including the option to turn off commentary and listen to crowd noise. So if you're watching a game and say, Tony Romo is calling it, you can bank with a button and get him to stop talking and just listen to the play.
Speaker 2: Why I play guy or the crowd?
Speaker 1: Do you remember they did that? There was one game that they did then in an NFL game, And I don't know how long ago was, it's certainly in the last fifteen years. Say, but yeah, they put a game on on Sunday and all they did was have crowd noise.
Speaker 2: I know ESPN does that.
Speaker 3: They have their like Mega cast, Like for the college football National Championship game, they'll have like four different broadcasts of it and ones you know, the Mega cast and the coaches, you know, they're all kind of commentating on it. But I've not seen where you can turn it off.
Speaker 1: Well, see, I I don't. I'm I'm one of the few people apparently in the world where you an announcer has to be pretty damn bad for me to to let that track from what I'm watching. You know, I can turn him down low, but I don't sit. You know, some people people are hating on college where they hate on Romo. Those two seem to be the biggest those are the two biggest targets.
Speaker 2: Now, is there any any announcer that you like?
Speaker 1: I can't think of anybody. People back in the day people hated Howard Cosell. I always thought Cosell was just kind of funny.
Speaker 2: He's like one of the most famous right correct casters ever.
Speaker 1: But towards the end he was getting a little yeah yeah, a little yes yeah. But that's when you're you know, you're calling games and you're and apparently he drank a lot. Honestly, God he Cozell was notoriously on the drunk one like Monday night football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's a couple that I don't like. I'm not gonna say they were for my company.
Speaker 3: Nevertheless, people don't like Collinsworth, and I never really understood the hatred toward him.
Speaker 1: That's that's what gets me. I mean, I'm not because I'm not being because he's a hometown boy or whatever, but I think a good job I do too. Yeah, but man, social goes nuts on Sunday night football games when he's on.
Speaker 3: But that just shows you there's no one out there that makes everybody happy. And there's people out there that hate chocolate ice cream.
Speaker 2: So what can you do?
Speaker 1: You know, right, Well, look, not everybody can be Eddie and Rocky.
Speaker 2: Let's face it, correct, that's our curse.
Speaker 1: Rocking. In other news, the only reason I bring this up is because this kind of holds a special place in my heart. This happened last month in Wisconsin. Officers stopped a speeding car. The Sheriff's office said the car was missing a front headlight as well on the driver's side, So you know, no problem there, right, Just hey, we're gonna get you for going sixty five and a fifty or whatever, fair enough, and get your headlight fixed. Other problem was the guy had put a handheld flashlight where the headlight should have been.
Speaker 2: Continueing. I got a story somewhat.
Speaker 1: Related to me too. A flashlight is not illegal or safe for placement for proper headlights. My my idiot brother back this years and years ago. He couldn't have been he was late teens probably, but he had a motorcycle and he went I think he went to see his girlfriend and his headlight went out when he was on his way home. And she didn't live all that far away, but she lived out in the country, so he had just so happened to have a flashlight with him. So he stuck the flashlight on the handlebars, and of course passed a cop and hmm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it didn't work.
Speaker 3: My mind was I had I was hauling a car, was that I guess it was from Nashville home to Cincinnati, and the trailer didn't have any lights on it. So I went and bought a flashlight and taped it on the back of the back of the trail. Yeah, just I didn't get pulled it over, so I think I got lucky.
Speaker 1: But nevertheless, see that's I uh, I don't know what what you do in a situation like that, though.
Speaker 2: You gotta do what you gotta do.
Speaker 1: You gotta do what you gotta do. Yeah, yeah, but I don't know. But like I said, my brother he had to go to court in the whole nine yards and uh, and there there was also a maybe he tried to flee a little bit and realized I tried to flee a little bit, a little bit.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 1: Let's put it this way, he started to and then realized this ain't a good idea.
Speaker 2: That's good. Yeah, better to realize that sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: Well, you're on a country road without a headlight with a cop chasing you.
Speaker 2: Not gonna work out.
Speaker 29: Well.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something that that story hardly ever wins. That that never ends well at all. But he you end up like a green flash or whatever that thing is called an Oxford that you'll.
Speaker 2: The Oxford light.
Speaker 1: And how dare you claim you saw when you were doing it?
Speaker 2: Was real to me? Damn it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, me too. I Bit, I've heard so much about it. I think it's probably real.
Speaker 32: Uh.
Speaker 1: With that in mind, we check in with traffic and weather, what's going on.