Speaker 1: From the Inquire Sincinnaty dot com is with me full of positivity and cheer. Yeah, it's here on the Friday before Thanksgiving, and it's kind of this is like Thanksgiving gra really, you know, just kind of well holiday gra has started the next five weeks. Good luck getting a lot of crap done.
Speaker 2: Man's I've been running Errand's out there today and ka, Lee, Yeah it's you might you might You thought it was like Christmas Eve or something out there on the hall on the roads anywhere I went today.
Speaker 1: Gosh, I stopped into uh and we're joined by Richard Skinner for Local twelve and Skinny right quick. I had to make a quick Kroger run today to get us something for lunch. I'm like, yeah, I'll handle it. Dead was at work, I'm going to Kroger.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: It was like it was like I needed an escort. People are hardcore Thanksgiving shopping right now, let's just put it that way.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is the time to do it though, right, I mean, oh absolutely, I hope you'd have all your stuff, but yeah, this is the this is the day to do it. Kind of a dreary day out go get your shop and done and get yourself set for Thanksgiving for goodness sake, I'm I'm good with that.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, let's talk about this weekend here in the big town. And there was a lot to talk about. Literally, something happened in every day guys, and a couple of things every day. Right, So let's let's jump in first off and confront the Burrow issue. Skinny, Yeah, I do what are you hearing? Because from all accounts he was going to play and now they're waffling on it. Your thoughts on what are you hearing?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think, but I don't think you're wrong what you're saying. But I don't think by all accounts he was going to play. I mean, they always talked in terms of let's see how these two weeks go. That was a Monday ago, that would take you through this week. I think a lot of people jumped to the conclusion on Wednesday when he was a full participant in practice, which sounded like it was always the plan, like that was the day they're gonna put him in eleven or eleven. Joe Flaka was gonna be limited because that's his regimen right now because of his shoulder, So why not get Joe all the snaps and make him a full participant.
Speaker 5: I think a lot of people jump to the conclusion of, AHw he's gonna play, and he still might. I mean, I don't want to rule that out.
Speaker 6: I don't want to poo poo that, but no.
Speaker 4: Down there today talking to Zach Taylor, and I just got the vibe that I don't think he's quite comfortable in doing this right now making him active in the starter in part because they play another game five days from now on Thursday.
Speaker 6: That's a big ass to play. That's a big ass.
Speaker 5: For anybody in this league to play a game on Sunday and turn around and play on Thursday, let alone a guy coming from a coming back from a serious injury to do the same thing.
Speaker 4: I think the safest thing to do would be get into practice this week. He's gonna only have one practice next week. That's just the way the week goes. It's a walk through practice, so it's not even a strenuous practice. So this was the week to see can we push this? How does it feel when we push this? And then this off until Thursday to let him play. Edie To your point again, I'm not I'm not dissing you on this. I think a lot of people took that narrative on window.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's what I'm saying, Yeah, what everybody has been saying. And I'm just curious about him myself. There's reason I'm asking, sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah he's and he still might. I don't want to rule that out because it's not like my place to rule out, and they haven't ruled it out. I think this if Burrow was going to definitively start and they had made up their mind on this, I think exactly what it told us today. I could be wrong tomorrow because they have till four o'clock to make the decision on whether to activate him off the I or not. I just I just got the sense that that whole Sunday to Thursday thing is a big deal when he's weighing this decision.
Speaker 2: Maybe this, maybe this is a dumb question at this point, Skinny, given what you just said and what's unfolded this week. But okay, let's say he doesn't play Sunday, they lose again, which they're going to, and then and then what I mean is is he is it a foregone conclusion He's coming back no matter what.
Speaker 4: Not a foegone conclusion, but that was asked of Zach today. You know what if you're you know, for the for the all rights and purposes, all intensive purposes, you're out of the playoff mix. You know when he returns, should he return. And that's point was winning is important. And I don't think he's just important as Zach Taylor for his job. I think he means for any player, winning is important. And he said, this guy's a football player. It's what he does. He wants to play and he's help you enough, he's gonna play. And I think that's what we're out with that, and I get fans.
Speaker 5: Going, yeah, but what if he gets started again and it.
Speaker 6: Cost next year.
Speaker 4: I remember Zach earlier this season saying, I can't think that way. I can't think of a player, you know, protecting a player from getting hurt. It's just part of the league. If they do, they do, I get the whole. If you're out of it, what's the point, Well, it's five or six games of reps. It's it's five or six games of the career stats. When you start to put stats together, nobody wants to hear that there's there's something.
Speaker 6: To that as well.
Speaker 4: And I do think for this highly competitive guy, playing is important to him.
Speaker 6: I mean, he.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't have busted his butt to come back early. I mean the original timeline for this was like mid.
Speaker 6: December, right, I remember that, Yes, fourteenth, the Clippers game. Here we are before Thanksgiving with the thought fight, Oh like play this week and he might. So we're still early on the timeline here. Because I think that's him, it's important to him, and I don't I don't blame him for that. I also understand fans of man just put him in bubble wrapping. Let's go to next year and be done with this. I fully get that. It's just not the way these dudes operate.
Speaker 2: And as Zach told our pal Tom Brenneman yesterday morning about Joe Burrow, he's just wired different.
Speaker 6: Yes, no, I'll be honest, head. I saw him in the locker room Wednesday. I went to Joe Flacco's press conference and I had to talk to a couple of players in the locker room, and I was leaving earlier than it was going to be closed, and I looked by Burrow's locker and he's sitting in there. He looked like he.
Speaker 5: Had just he had just come from being zero blitz sixty seven times, had to avoid it.
Speaker 6: He just looked a mess.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, oh my gosh, that looks awful, wow, staring into space. But he also might have just been compartmentalizing. Okay, I got back to a full practice. I'm exhausted, all right, I can do it. Was It's just he's wired differently. There is no doubt about that.
Speaker 1: Yep. Well we're talking to Richard Skinner and Skinny let's talk about the football game going on downtown tonight. Yeah, a big deal. I mean, obviously this has been all the chat, elder saying X and uh, I tell you two people aren't happy about it, and that would be uh Wes Miller and Pat Kelsey. Did you. I read that story in the in the Inquiry yesterday and Pat Kelsey's like, I'm an elder guy. Yes, this sucks.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: That being said, I think also the ticket prices for that event are just a margerie and I think that's cost him. But also to your point, I mean, you're gonna have twenty five thousand is at paid court tonight and.
Speaker 6: Of those, what are those twenty five thousand?
Speaker 5: Would have thought about going to U see a little bit u of l probably not a decent.
Speaker 4: But a chunk of them.
Speaker 1: I do think it's cool.
Speaker 4: A guy that Jason knows, and I owe you know him too, Eddie. We're going to say, Tom Gamble, who's run high school events?
Speaker 5: Wherever?
Speaker 6: You did?
Speaker 4: This guyline Chilly Crosstown shootout at Nippert Stadium, and I always thought that was really cool for the kids. I remember the year they had the high school playoff doubleheader at at paid Corp had like forty eight thousand. The one year they had the Saint ex Cole Raine playoff game there. I remember sitting in the stands there with a with a guy who sells for iHeart and uh, you know, it was just a great game and one on an overtime. And I think, whenever you can get kids to play in it, then you like this and it makes and whenever it makes costs sense, and I think it does in this case for sure, I'm all for that. I think it's really cool. I mean, one of my one of the coolest things I ever did. I can still remember this day. And as a fifth grader living in Tulsa, Oklahoma, my my fifth grade team got to play in halftime of a game in the Maybe Center on or Roberts' campus, and I remember my name being announced over the speakers, thinking I was the coolest thing on planet Earth. I mean, those those are really cool events.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought that up up and I hope, hopefully this is the start of something. And you know, I hopefully the Bengals and will be willing to you know, be gracious with our stadium and let other team because I you know, you talk about gambo and he no one does it better. No one does high school showdowns and throw downs and massive events the way he does, and he's done such fantastic work on that and to it'd be great to allow him to get in there and start getting some some big high school events, showcase events, you know. I know that's been part of the talk this week as well. And yeah, I'm really I mean, there's just so many Dagone storylines this week, and we you know, it's funny, we're we're seventeen. What, well, we're three seventeen. We've talked to you for what ten minutes now, skinny, and we've gotten through Burrow and Elder.
Speaker 1: Saint x On on a on a huge weekend. Let's talk about talking about the Bearcats and Cardinals. This is a big game, and again it's kind of fallen through the cracks, and that's a shame it is.
Speaker 4: I mean, I listen, it's a great test for you see, and you're not going to get a lot of tests in the non conference before they get into Big twelve where they'll get a test on literally every night. So this was a big deal. You get it in your town on a neutral floor. I think that's also a big deal. I really like to have this be a home at home series.
Speaker 6: I think it's.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked to him yesterday and he was not happy about this occurrence.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, I think that it's as a Kentucky Granted, it's it's paining me that they've not done Kentucky Indiana home at home. They're doing it now, but it took a while to get back to that. Just it's yeah, no.
Speaker 4: I love for them all, but no, I think this is a huge test for you See. I think this is where you'll see what are they and what do they need to fix or how good are they if they beat U of Al. I think l is a one of the ten teams you can put in the pot and say that's a national championship contender.
Speaker 5: They're back. They're that good of a team.
Speaker 6: So this would be a great yes.
Speaker 5: What you see?
Speaker 1: All right? And also let's not forget on Sunday, well, of course in the Bengals Patriots, but at five o'clock FC Cincinnati trying to advance and messy and messy. Oh and by the way, a soccer player in the world, anybody listened to Willie lately? Uh messy, messy, messy.
Speaker 4: And Saturday night you see host d Yu and a big football.
Speaker 2: Game, bigon big doon Saturday Fox. People are like, have you, I say, do you recall in terms of just the breadth of the depth and breadth of the of sports on a weekend? And I know, probably in the grand scheme most of these games outside of the f C Cincinnati obviously, uh well and obviously Saint accent Elder of course. Uh you know that these aren't there's not a great huge thing at stake and those other handful of games. But do you remember a sporting weekend like this in Cincinnati?
Speaker 1: Uh? What would will does anything come to mind?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: No, I mean.
Speaker 5: You've got a high school football game in an NFL stadium. You've got a big time Division one college basketball game literally within walking distance of that major high school football game.
Speaker 4: That great walking distance. But you know, I'm saying you can walk the boat. Oh and then by the way, Saturday, you've got uh the uc B B why you game at night? Nip at night is an awesome and it's awesome anyway, it's an awesome environment. And then Sunday you may have the return of Joe Burrow and and I mean all of this in one week, and Messy and and and the game.
Speaker 6: With in Miami. I mean, that is insane for for one city to have all that in the weekend.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool, all right, well we'll all enjoy it, and Skinny, we will talk to you next week. Buddy, take care. You got are our good friend Richard Skinner. So you guys all go down there and suck up the lunch buffet and stuff and all hobnob and all that's suff down at the press box.
Speaker 2: A pay question for Yeah, I still miss I still miss calling it Paul Brown Stadium. Oh great, great Paul Brown, the innovator, the pioneers. It was great to have is and then I understand, like the selling name, he writes, But yeah, it'll always be Paul Brown Stadium in my heart.
Speaker 1: So in the lunch room there do they serve? Do they serve beers? And now you know, because I think they used to remember that was a big thing in baseball.
Speaker 2: In baseball like that was always a big thing in Saint Louis. Had a tap in the back of the press box at old Busch Stadium. When I covered the Twins in Minnesota in the Metronome, they always would bring a massive tub. All the writers would be back upstairs after doing the clubhouse interviews and the latest Lady Peg she was the clubhouse or the press box attendant, you know, she did all the concessions in the press box. She would bring this big tub of like cann cans of beer and set it in the back of the press box. And those Saint Paul Pioneer press boys and Minneapolis Star Tributne boys.
Speaker 1: Enjoyed have a little SuDS and write your stories. Yeah, yes, I remember, I remember the old stories that there being taps in the locker room at the Riverfront Stadium and those guys would after a game would sit there and play cards. And sug down beers for a while.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember, like I remember in ninety eight, I was an intern at the Cincinnati Post God Rest his soul, and it was in the it was the McGuire Sosa home run races at ninety eight. Yeah, and they, you know, are the editor there, sent me down do sidebars on that, and so I remember going into the clubhouse and Mark Grace was drinking a beer in one hand and has a cigarette and the other one, and it's like you're talking about like, I mean an you wait, mane, this is major league sports. And yeah, I mean, but that was he wasn't the only one over you know, a certain generation of player that did that.
Speaker 1: With that, we had to traffic and weather. What's going on? I'm not sure where Rock was off to this weekend. Maybe told man don't recall, but coming up jas today we're going to be talking at four o'clock with Rosemary. Rosemary Mooring from the from River Bend and they're already starting to a bunch of shows already booked for the summertime. That's amazing to me. It's not even Thanksgiving yet.
Speaker 2: How is the We'll ask her, what's the wonder how the project is coming along with.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm going. I wondered about that overall, not overhaul, but this expansion of right of whether they're building a whole new facility, right the old building, the.
Speaker 2: Old Coney Island pool was right. It was a big controversy at one point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that well, that kind of drifted.
Speaker 2: Was it really a controversy or was it just a few small people?
Speaker 1: Well, there was some some locals. There was a group of locals. But hey, look I had many great memories out there to cony. I was what was the pool Sunlight pool? Yeah, Sunlight pool.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was only swimming there for a couple, you know a few times, but just it was a it was a beautiful lace. That's where deb and I had our wedding reception there in gardens. I saw some concerts there at Moonlight Gardens. It was cool. Did they preserve that? I think that's all gone, but yeah, we had uh o, our reception was there and it was it was quite the jam and that well, it was one of those things where her mom and dad were like, we're going to pay for this. I was like, you're not paying for this.
Speaker 2: All the all the Cincinnati TV stars came out, TV and radio. Sorry, we had those stars as well.
Speaker 1: Dude. Oh wild Man was there. Wild Man DJ'd and all the nine people were there, and they're one of a couple of their cinematographers were shooting it there. They were our wedding photographers. So they're going around shooting video and you know, while they're drinking Gin and Tonics or whatever. But it was it was quite a little Carol Williams of course, Clyde Gray, Yeah, all all all the greats. Any o, Yeah, I think Tanya was there, don't I don't remember, but everybody that worked at nine that's when it was ninety seven, so anybody in that era, yeah, all of them. Man, I'd love to have just spend a fly on the wall. That was. It was fun and they they had a h there was a thing where they had to close it at eleven o'clock that was written into the contract. So well, with this crowd, we're just getting started, say, don't you know this is a bunch of media people. Yeah, I mean it started like at six and it's eleven o'clock and young correct and uh they okay, drink up last call and this is like quarter eleven or whatever, and so what a guy we used to well, God bless him. Randy Michaels is still in town and was the boss of UH. He owned this station and EBN at the time created a lot of a lot of radio things that people here today. And he walked up to the bartenders and said, I'll give you any amount of money you want to keep this bar open until we say shut it down. That sounds that sounds about like him. That's Randy. And they were like, sir, we would love to take you up on that, but no, we can't do that. So so you all go to my house. It's a long story. My neighbors, we've got time. We're all were well, and my dear late mother was there and my sister, my aunt, my aunts were there and all that stuff. And perhaps see your buddy here had well, we had access to the eb N used to have a limo, and we had access to the limo that had taken us there. And perhaps your buddy here had a couple of the cocktails. And I get on the microphone. Okay, they're closing us down, but everybody's invited to our house. And that's when we had a pool and Uh, I said, come on back to the house because we're all gonna go naked swimming and the bar is open, and uh, everybody like yeah, and off we went, and my mother didn't come. I figure she probably veered off to Betty didn't make it. I don't know what happened there. Uh coming and well come on.
Speaker 2: Now, I know you're gonna get mad at me for going over time here real quick, but uh did that happen?
Speaker 1: Uh? Or anyway, we got to get to were traffic, traffic and weather Man we're I'll I'll tell you off there. What's going on?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: He says? It is for Friday round about this time. We talked to this fellow, right, y'all our good friend John made Reese w CPO nine News, and don't waste your money, John, Johnny. How are we doing?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: You know, cranked up for Thanksgiving or what?
Speaker 5: Oh? I'm getting so cranked up for Thanksgiving and Black Friday. Friday next weekend is Black Friday, but you know the sales are already on. It's how what it used to be. That's the thing we used to live for it Thanksgiving night standing outside the stores and now goodness, they've been running Black Friday sales for what two weeks?
Speaker 1: They started Black Friday before Halloween.
Speaker 5: Yeah, year around Black Friday one, So it's lost a lot of the excitement. And people are asking me, you know, should I go out there now and should I shop? Should I buy you know, a TV or iPad or something, And the answer is yeah, look around, because there's a lot of deals right now. You see at the furniture stores of the applying stores, a lot of sales going on right now. However, a lot of the real key sales, the real deep ones, they still don't hit until next week. We're talking about the day before Thanksgiving they kick into gear at best Buy in Walmart and go through Saturday. And what kind of sales am I talking about? I'm talking about Walmart's gonna have an eighty five inch TV for four hundred and eighty nine dollars for an eighty nine inch TV. You know, I've got a sixty five inch TV, So they're way up there. They're gonna have that, But that's not that's not hitting until till Wednesday. Best Buy they already have started with their sales. They're going to have even more sales than Apple devices starting next week. On Wednesday, but right now, I was in best By yesterday and MacBook Airs starting at six ninety nine. That's real nice because MacBooks used to start at about a thousand, you know, for anything MacBook. And now we're talking MacBook Air for six ninety nine for the starting price, and you could get that this weekend. So there's a lot of sales going on, going on right now and going on this weekend that you can grab and get some deals. But again, I don't know. I want to see the sexy ones I works you up there. When I said sexy, they start about they started about Wednesday. That includes gaming systems. I was looking around at the PlayStation five, at the switch to. That's a real popular one. Nothing really big right now, but come day before Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving and Friday, you're gonna find a lot of deals on the game stations where they throw in a bundle, they add Mario for nothing, that sort of thing. So if you're looking for a gaming console, I'd wait. If you're looking for that TV doorbuster, I'd wait. But just about everything else, I mean, you can find it right now on sale this weekend.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: You mentioned those John, Those things are for next Wednesday. The gaming consoles, some of the TVs. Is there still that? Is there still those pockets here and there where people are waiting out the door for the door to open so they can get it right then? Or is that is that completely gone?
Speaker 5: That's just about gone. Except the one exception would be for the Nintendo Switch to the Switch two is red hot, and that one's going to be kind of a Black Friday doorbuster, get outside game stop type of event. That one is really big. Xboxes are hard to find too. In fact, you're not even finding deals in xboxes because you're very hard to find. So the gaming consoles, that's about it for TVs. I mean you could walk into best Buy this weekend and see just hundreds of TVs in boxes, sixty five seventy five eighty five inches TVs marked down RIDI go only one while you're there about it?
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen figures on how many TVs the these retail outlets move around this time of year.
Speaker 5: I mean I've heard of a million.
Speaker 1: It's got to be a phenomenal number.
Speaker 5: Man, millions. Because they make these TVs specially for Black Friday. I mean they're produced all summer, all spring and summer, so they can have them ready to go Thanksgiving week, because that's the weak. Everybody wants to go in in by that big new, big new TV and bigger all the time. You know, I remember when sixty five was huge, and now oh yeahs odds, I thrown that out. I want a bigger one.
Speaker 1: Well, I told you I still uh well know at my at my old house and Deb and I have a fifty two inch now and that's why we had at the old house. And I thought, man, I'm way ahead of the game. And I think that cost me about thirty two hundred bucks. Oh dang, Now you can buy like you're saying though, But I bought it like two thousand or something, right, I didn't get that thing.
Speaker 5: For the inches like a bedroom TV correct the inches the.
Speaker 1: Right bedroom for like four hundred bucks. Maybe.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But been talking about these gaming systems, but.
Speaker 5: Inflation going up. With inflation going on, that's about the work thing that's gone down in price, the big TV.
Speaker 1: So we're talking about these gaming systems. John, You get these games, the kids wear them out in no time flat once they learned how to play it. The only game I ever learned how to play to that level was I had Tiger Woods when I had a game with the Nintendo sixty four whatever, what was the.
Speaker 5: Big one for I like the Wii when that came out the.
Speaker 1: Way, But anyways, it was Tiger Woods Golf and I and I totally defeated. I got really good at it, and so it was no good anymore because I could go out there and hit the ball. Like my guy was like about eight feet tall and weighed four hundred pounds, and he could hit the ball about four hundred yards and his accuracy was like, okay, he would hit four hundred yards and then hit a ball directly into the cup from where he landed. So I'm shooting like, you know, twenty seven hunder par. So it was kind of after the Bill Mickleton right after you get done with it, when when you get done with the games, you want to trade them in and this is a good thing for a game.
Speaker 5: Stop this way. You get done, You get done with them, and people just have them sitting in the basement. All these old games, you know, NBA two K, two thousand and four. I mean it's amazing the old games, the old controllers. Oh that's a PlayStation two, you know, and that people have around the house. So game Stop next Saturday, December sixth, remember that date. They're holding a trade in Anything day, and you will then get a game Stop credit of around twenty bucks if you just bring some stuff in and what type of things to bring in? While they're talking about any kind of electronics that will fit in a twenty inch by twenty inch square box. So you've got old cables, Hdmi cables, wires, game controllers, any type of old games, VHS tapes, cassette. Hey, I mean you got any type of electronics, bring it to game Stop next Saturday.
Speaker 1: It could be in a bag.
Speaker 5: He has a fit and it can't be bigger than a twenty by twenty box. Don't bring them up, don't bring them an old TV. But then you'll get a store credit, So that would be a really nice thing. It's funny they list things you can bring and things not to bring, and among the things not to bring in that twenty inch by twenty inch box dead animals. So they said, do not bring in dead squirrel to game Stop.
Speaker 1: Damn, Now what am I going to do with it?
Speaker 4: How much?
Speaker 1: How much store credit can you.
Speaker 5: Fll out of the tree? Let's stick it in the box and bring it to game stop because credit.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Jason's a good question, John, how much credit do you get for this stuff? Did they kind of look at it and go, I'll give you a I think.
Speaker 5: They look at it and you go, you get ten bucks, you get twenty bucks, you get twenty five bucks. Now here's the thing, and this is this is kind of really good sneaky on the part of game Stop. They know that people going to be trading in old video games, consoles, controllers and all that. Do you know that some of that stuff is really valuable? So someone will say, I have this old nes system from nineteen what was it, nineteen eighty nine, nineteen ninety, you know, the original Nintendo. You bring that in. That thing's worth like two hundred bucks on eBay, you know, and so it's gonna donate at the game stop to get a ten dollars credit. So watch out what you bring in because some of those old game consoles may be the old Super Nintendo. Look them up on eBay before you trade them in for ten or twenty bucks because you want to be able to get some good money from Also, watch out with VHS tapes. You know, it's like, oh man, the kids have a closet full of VHS tapes in the basement. I'm just gonna bring those. Watch out. If it's like an unopened Disney Winnie the Pooh movie or something, that thing could be worth one hundred bucks. You might want to look it up on the first Yeah, yes, yeah, yeah, letters pay for those old Disney movies on VHS.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something. I'm not giving up my old VHS tape.
Speaker 5: So you know why, John, I know the kind of movies you watched on Yeah, well you and watching them since nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Now they're getting a little grainy, but still does the trick.
Speaker 5: Right, And I'm like streaming, there's no record that you downloaded it correct.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 5: Next Saturday at game Stop check it out.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get out and before we get in trouble.
Speaker 5: Yeah, having good weekend, No waste your money.
Speaker 1: All right, Our good friend John Matteries coming up next we're gonna be talking about already. The show is at River Bend next year, Motley Cruz coming to town. I want you and I to go on and get our beers on, go out there. That'd be a lot of fun. Yeah, Bear, middrift, cut off T shirts, just drinking beers, headbands on Bam, getting it done son Nikki six. Absolutely, we'll see if he's If he makes it that far, he's there, We'll talk to Rose. They all make it that far, Rose Marie after the news right now, News Radio seven hundred w l W all right back on the Eddie and Rocky Show, Rock Out Today. Jason Williams from the Inquirer Cincinnati dot Com is with me, and Jason's beginning to look a lot like concert season at Riverban six. I've been seeing all these announcements coming out. I don't know how many shoot there, I want to say a dozen shows I've seen announced or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really nice lineup so far already. Uh you got Jack Johnson, Train, Motley Crue, Rod Stewart.
Speaker 1: The other Rod Stewart thing kind of surprised me because I thought that this was going to be kind of it for him on this tour. But Rod Stewart, he's like still kicking in Nick Jagger territory. He's got to be pushing eighty if he's like he just keeps on going. Well, here to discuss is our good friend Rose Marie Moring. She's a marketing director for using an event management ink here in town, and also who happens to be one of the main bookers for Riverbend. Rose Marie always our pleasure.
Speaker 7: Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Hey, so let me let me ask you, Rose Marie. It used to be you guys would with Riverbend, especially, it would there'd be I still have one of those and it's stuck to my refrigerator. You're you won't believe this, But when those little you know whatever, it was three by ten piece of paper that had the whole line up on it. I still have the one from I think it's ninety seven stuck to my refrigerator.
Speaker 7: Oh wow, I know. I think back then we used to do like a big announcement announced the whole season, like at once in the springtime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I was going to say. I remember having you on the old Morning show and like there'd be like, Oh, we're gonna have Rosemrie on on Wednesday morning or whatever and run down what all you guys have. But now it just kind of comes in drips and drabs, and here we are not even Thanksgiving, and like I said, you guys have announced Shoot, maybe ten dozen shows.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's a lot, but you know what, I think everyone all the tours are thinking, you know, what makes a greater Christmas gift or a Hanuka gift or holiday gifts than the gift of music?
Speaker 1: So that makes sense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, So they're all trying to just get a get on sale and let people know that they're coming so people can make their plans for next summer. And we've announced eight shows so far. I know, it feels like a dozen when you were saying that, because this is usually our downtime too, and I feel like there is no downtime anymore. But we do have two more announcements coming in the first week a December, so that's we're not done yet.
Speaker 1: Is this, Rose Marie? Is this?
Speaker 2: Is this pretty typical that you would buy this point, have this many announcers? It get earlier earlier every year in which you roll out the concerts.
Speaker 7: It's starting to feel like it's getting earlier and earlier. Yeah, Like there's some shows we put on sale a year in advance. It's crazy, I know, And I think it's just because there's so many tours out there too that they all don't want to step on each other's toes. So the earlier you start going out and then you just keep rolling.
Speaker 6: Them out a week after week.
Speaker 7: We're going to get a couple of weeks off, some a break over the holidays, and then we're going to hit the grounds running again in January.
Speaker 6: We already have a.
Speaker 7: Bunch more announcements coming, and it's feeling like this year or next year, twenty twenty six is going to be a very busy concert season.
Speaker 1: Wow, Now, can you give us any hints? I know you're not going to, but I have to ask.
Speaker 7: I will tell you that the announcements in December. One's going to be a nostalgia band that everyone I think he's gonna love, and the other one is some blast from the past that hasn't really been around in a while, so I think it'll peak some peak people's interests.
Speaker 1: You have, Paul McCartney.
Speaker 7: No, but I told what you were saying about Rod Stewart and this is the one last time farewell to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so forever young gosh. Hopefully Drew will play that in force.
Speaker 1: And one now, what wasn't wasn't he? There wasn't he? Had River been this year? It seems to me or was I thinking last year because it all runs behind him.
Speaker 7: No, so what you're thinking of? He was supposed to be with Billy Joel at the Football Stadium when Billy Joel announced, you know, he had fallen ill that they canceled that. So now Rod Stewart is just going out on his own for twenty twenty six to say goodbye to the fans.
Speaker 1: How big how big of a get is Motley Crue?
Speaker 7: Oh my gosh, depends on who he is, ask Yeah, I mean, I mean, this is this is a state.
Speaker 2: This is I mean when I think of stadium bands, this is Motley Crue and obviously they've been around forever.
Speaker 1: But yeah, and.
Speaker 7: It's a great package, like with Tesla and Extreme. It's just like it's one of those the eighties. I think a lot of people are going to go back and relive their high school days and it's going to be a lot of fun. We're looking forward to it. There are always a great group to work with too.
Speaker 1: Rosemary Morning is our guest, and are you going to have any any of the festival style stuff? Because I was, I mean again dating myself, but one of my favorite show well days I ever spent at Riverbend was a lot Lapalooza back in the day when it was just getting started, and maybe maybe you can put a year on it, but it was the year that Pearl Pearl Jam was part of Pearl Jam is just getting started and they played like fourth already in the afternoon or something like that. Oh wow, is cool ninety four or something like that. I want to say ninety three, but yeah, but didn't there. You know, they we've had a bunch of those type of things. There were going to see more of that.
Speaker 7: No, you know what, it seems like the festivals they're not traveling anymore, like Lollapalooza or and you know, Lilith Fair used to come every summer too as well. But I think they kind of packs themselves in like a big city where everybody you know, knows when it's going to be every year, and they get the big lineups and stuff. But I don't think it became very It stops being cost effective to travel and doing those big festivals, so you won't be seeing any of those like remember Warped Tour too. I mean that used to be every year. Fans used to look forward to that one. But we won't have any of those types festivals. But you know, Outlaw Music Festival has been coming back year after year, so you know, we're looking forward to maybe having that again. And there's going to be so many more other acts and bands that we're going to be announcing on the horizon that I think we'll definitely have something for everyone.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, as far we all know the legend of Jimmy Buffett coming there and other the legend of Jimmy Moore, Jim Moring, jim that legend that large, that large, that large image looms over the city of Cincinnati. I agreed, But but but Jimmy Buffett and we all know the legend and him playing there five nights in a row or whatever it was, the years in a row at his peak, and what is has anything replaced that for you? Because I know that the you know, the Coral Reefer Band tours and stuff like that is are you still getting that kind of crowd for shows like that?
Speaker 7: Well, I mean to your point, Karrel Reefer Band definitely has kind of filled the void that Jimmy Buffett left, But I don't think that there's ever going to be another one like him. I would say maybe like a Tinny Chesney. It comes close to that in a sense that it's more like the Potti atmosphere. But no, Jimmy Buffett played fifty two shows at River Bend over the span of I think it was thirty five years. But we really enjoy you know, Coral Reefer Band was back this summer and then the previous summer. So we're hoping that maybe they start making that a tradition and just try to keep the memory of Jimmy Buffett alive, especially in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: As you talk about there's something for everyone, Rose Marie, and it made me think, you guys are working on the project of expanding Riverbend. How was that coming along? When is when's that going to be done? What's that all going to look like? And I assume probably you'll be announcing at this time of the year even more concert just once everything's up and running.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So, well, it's not technically expanding River Bend. We're building a whole new ample got so the Farmer Music Center is going is scheduled to open in spring twenty twenty seven, and construction is moving along on schedule. Knock on wood right now, and we are going to be making some you know, exciting announcements about that in January and then again as the year goes on next year, and where we think people are going to be very excited when they start seeing the renderings and the drawings and it's it's a beautiful thing. You know, River Bend has a lot of nostalgia, it has a lot of great memories, but it's old and this new state of the art building, I think people are going to experience music on a whole different level. And it's just it's going to be incredible. That's why it's going to be great, great for the city.
Speaker 1: And I'm obviously you've seen all the all the planning and the rendering, Like you said, can you give us a clue of some what's the how about capacity? Is it going to be more or less the same as what Riverband stands right now, which I believe Riverbend completely packed is seventeen eighteen right.
Speaker 7: Nope, it's twenty thousand, five hundred, Yeah, And the new Amphitheater will be similar capacity. The only difference is going to be there's going to be more reserved seats. So right now Riverband has fifty four hundred reserved seats and the rest is lawn new building. The new Amphitheater will have eight thousand reserved seats in a twelve thousand capacity line.
Speaker 2: Wow, what becomes of the current River Bend Amphitheater? Does that become some other venue once this is up and running, or.
Speaker 7: Well it's going Riverbend is going to remain there? When going to tear it down or anything. And the plan many you know down the road is too We're creating a music campus, if you will. Once farm a Music center comes online, we'll still have River Bend and then with the P and C pavilion, it creates a unique situation where if we wanted to do like a full blown festival, we would have three permanent stages, all permanent infrastructure with bathrooms and things like that. But you know that we're right now, we're just focused on getting the new Amphitheater open and introducing it to everyone and really excited about the acts that we're going to be able to bring to Cincinnati and excited.
Speaker 1: All right, that's awesome. Well, Rose Mury, Marie, we appreciate you talking to us, and uh, I'm sure we're going to be hearing from you a lot more in the near future.
Speaker 7: Yes, and you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving and we'll talk.
Speaker 1: Soon you to do the same. Bel Jim, we thank.
Speaker 7: You, we will.
Speaker 1: I will thank you for While we're talking about Jim Mooring who runs the Holy Grail downtown, Our Good our good Friend, where we've done many many shows. Is is her husband great great couple of great folks. Oh yeah, Jim's such such an awesome guy. But I'm excited about the But you you were talking, you and I were talking off there. But you look at some of the line up there and they certainly know their audience big time with the nostalgia when she says nostalgia acts and stuff like that. One of those why I think one of the things I saw was coming was I think foreigner. Who is it? Foreigner? That's the one I just saw. Yeah, and thanks Drew, Drew. It's not a foreigner. It's with foreigners.
Speaker 2: Joking, but that officially is what it says on the thing. But I'm just I'm joking, man.
Speaker 1: Well, Rocky and I saw a couple of years ago was foreigner with White Snake, And you see that David covered Out is retiring and when Rocky and I saw white Snake three years ago, four years ago, whenever that was he should have retired then, Yeah, because what he was singing fine, and then he got about half a dozen songs into it, and man, his voice just that when he could put was that when he was here? Yeah, okay, Yeah, with that thought in mind, here I go again. Here we go again, with traffic and weather. What is going on? Because the law, especially stuff like contract law and in this case copyright law, is generally out of my realm of comprehension, but sometimes I think it's kind of funny. Case in point, here's the headline from this story. Well, the real slim Shady please stand up. Eminem sues Beach Brand swim Shady for trademark infringement. Now see, I give him style points for coming up with swim shady. I think that's cool. But here to discuss whether or not our good friend do not think it's cool, has barely not here to discuss with this is our good friend, John Risby, the patent professor, John always our pleasure, welcome, The pleasure is.
Speaker 8: Mine and you're absolutely right. Eminem is not happy about this. In fact, he has petitioned to cancel the trademark for swim Shady, and that's an Australian beach our company that has that has filed for that trademark in the United States. But Eminem has had the trademark since two thousand and one and clearly believes he has superior rights. When I say the trademark, he doesn't have swim Shady, of course, he has slim Shady. Sure, and difference is one letter, and that's his argument that his his fan, his consumer base, that this confusion in the marketplace and it's diluting the distinctiveness of his brand.
Speaker 1: Does he have it? Does he have a good case here?
Speaker 8: So I think he does have a good case. And some people might say, well, wait a minute, that this company, Australian Beachware, sells beachware and tote bags and umbrellas, and nobody in the right mind would get that confused with Eminem and think that he's expanding into those types of products and the product line. However, companies and especially celebrities expand all.
Speaker 1: Of the time.
Speaker 8: And what particularly makes his case I think stronger, is that he has filed a trademark for mom Spaghetti years ago, based on his two thousand and two hit Lose Yourself, and in fact has trademarked and sold pasta and has a restaurant based on that name. So certainly he has expanded beyond entertainment services in the past, and it's very reasonable for him to expect that his you know, his fans are going to think that he's somehow associated with this company swim Shady. So I think he has has a really strong case. In some cases, parody is a defense. So if you're doing something and you're making fun, there are defenses that have been successful in the past. Like Mattel, for example, sued MCA Records for the song Barbie Girl, and the courtell that you know, yes, you may not like it, you may not like the depiction, but it's a parody, and in that case they figure that consumers are not going to be confused and think that Mattel is putting out this song.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: There's been several other cases where parodies have been supported and been a successful defense. They're a dog toy known as a chewy viton, which is a.
Speaker 1: Chewable that's funny it is.
Speaker 8: And that's you know, parody is that's exactly the defense saying hey, lighten up. This is a joke, h and consumers are going to understand it as a joke. And in that case, the court sided with the defendants and said that you know what, nobody in the right mind would think that Doug toy is put out by Louis Baton. Another case, Bad Spaniels is a product that's put out and it looks it's shaped like a Jack Daniels whiskey bottle and the course of it. Again, Uh, it's parody. It's all in fun. No one's going to think that there's confusion.
Speaker 1: We don't have a you know.
Speaker 8: Of course, the petition has only been filed. We don't have a decision yet. But I tend to think that Eminem's case is different, uh, and that this is not good. The parody defense is not going to be successful, and that he will be able to cancel the trademark for swim swim shading. And they're clearly confusing, because I have to slow down as I say.
Speaker 5: Both marks. So sure it is, you know, they're very close.
Speaker 1: So John Risby, the pad Professor, is our guest. And so John, is this a swim shady brand? Are they trying to break into the US market? Are they already here and they're just kind of this is their new marketing ploy or is this just strictly Australian right now?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so no, they once you file in the United States, they're clearly indicated desires market. But it's still very new.
Speaker 1: It wasn't.
Speaker 8: Their filing was not until twenty twenty three, whereas Eminem's filing for slim Shady was way back in two thousand and one, so there's no doubt he has superior rights. Another kind of little tidbit that's weakening the case for swim Shady is that their original trademark was for slim shade shade in Australia. Out in the United States, they changed it from slim Shade to swim Shady. So there's so new in this market that they don't have. You know, superior rights are clearly going to belong to Eminem. Parody might be a possible defense, but I think it's a weak defense in this case. Although I agree with you it is fun, but that's well, that's not enough.
Speaker 1: So John, we're talking to John Risby, the pad professor. So let's say they had tried to break into this market but use the just swim shade phrase. Would do you think that that would have passed scrutiny?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so.
Speaker 8: I don't think so. I mean there's a lot of times potential Friendsure they do try that, but it's not the you know, the Trademark Office looks at the overall impression of the word, and sometimes we'll see it with different spellings, and you'll see the word for like for you, just making this up, lawyers for you, but instead of f O R, somebody might try the number four. It's clever, but it's not enough to you know, the Trademark Office seeds beyond that, and and and said, you know what it's you know, it's nice you're not using the exact same phrase, but that's not enough for consumers not to be confused. And especially in a case where where something you know, in a commercial, where it's oral, it's audio, it's not written. Uh, nobody can really tell how a certain word is spelled for sure, So so that weekends the argument as well that the spelling is enough of a difference.
Speaker 2: I always find these cases you discussed, these copyright kate like fascinating because it's like they're so open ended, right, there's it's not so clear cut, Like, ay, what.
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 2: These are different words, different spellings, and yet and yet like and where does it like we all know, like American culture knows slim shady but like it? At what point does that? I mean, is it a popular thing right now?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: And so does that have anything to do with the fact that, like, I would understand this if this was back in the early two thousands when that song was incredibly popular and you tried to do this, But I mean, it's not like, you know, this is playing on radio stations and on iPod or whatever iPods on you know iTunes all over America right now and everybody's talking about on social media. Does that have anything to do with with with helping swim Shady's case or the fact that this is not really popular right now?
Speaker 8: I mean, that is an argument. But sometimes in these cases you use surveys. So if something falls out of you know, where people just don't know what something is anymore, then of course that would help to show that there's no consumer confusion. But this is These kind of cases are kind of a wake up call for business owners that just because they think something is clever, to be careful do a proper trademark search because somebody might own rights to that. And in this case, even if it's a completely different field, when it comes to celebrities, they're known as their marks, and their persona is known as it's being famous, and the standards are higher. If it's a famous mark, then they're not just tied to what their current goods or services are, like maybe they're entertainment services, and you can't just assume that, well, you know, eminem would not ever be interested in selling umbrellas or swimwear or beach bags of they're not going to care. But there's lawyers that monitor the Trademark Office database and when they see a trademark that they believe is weakening their clients' rights than they oppose. And some might say they're the tigets, but the reality is trademark rights are use it or lose it. So if they don't oppose, they weakened the marks, and then the next person that comes forward they have even less of a chance to stop them. It's very similar to property law. If your neighbor puts a fence up on your side of the property line in a lot of states, in Florida, for example, you have seven years otherwise the property line actually changes by adverse possession.
Speaker 1: So if they're open hostile.
Speaker 8: Use of your property, you have a duty to speak up. And if you don't speak up. In Florida it's seven years, but different states have a different amount of time. If somebody doesn't speak up to protect their real property, their land, the property line changes. And branding is the same way. If you don't protect your brand and enough time goes by, then the course we'll look at it and say, you know what, look at all these other people that have named similar to yours. You didn't speak up, then, so your rights have been abandoned and you no longer have a strong protection. So Eminem in a way, he's in a tough position, like if if he does something, there might be some backlash from his fans. Right, it looks like he doesn't have a sense of humors, you know, over the uptight. If he doesn't, if he does, go forward. But if he doesn't, and this is swim shady, what's going to happen when there's two, three, four, and before you know it, a bunch of variations and now he has lost protection to protect me, it's not as distinctive anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I can see it. Now, I'm going to start my new line of fool cleaning supplies called skim Shady, and off we go with that job. We will, we will let you go, buddy. People want to find out you under that registered trademark. Where can they go?
Speaker 8: Yeah, so our registered trademark is the patent Professor, so you can find it. That's our handle Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and uh. If you are serious about skim Shady, reach out to me and we'll work coming out. We'll make sure that try our best to check that for you. No guarantees that you won't yours won't be a canted as well, because eminem is watching.
Speaker 1: You're an expert in these matters. We'll figure out a worker house. Thanks buddy, Thank you. All right, take the pad, Professor John Risby, And with that we check in with traffic and weather. What's going on with Jason Williams and for Rock. So, Jase, are you going to any of the Well, you'll be at the Bengals game on Sunday, Yeah, I'll be.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna I'm gonna cover the b y U U see football game tomorrow night and then Bengals pats on on Sunday.
Speaker 1: You got a long twenty four hour stretch there, son, Yeah, it's gonna be.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a little rough of a turnaround from Saturday night you seed Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 1: Now on Sundays, what time you generally at the stadium for a one o'clock game?
Speaker 4: Sect?
Speaker 1: I usually just get into the.
Speaker 2: Press box, uh, half hour forty five minutes before. Oh yeah, try to park like an hour before the game, and I park usually pretty far away, so I walk. Well, you've been park at the Quire building, right, Yeah, Well we get I got a parking pass. It's I usually parked down underneath Great American Ballpark and then walk just walked between the two stadiums.
Speaker 1: That's a little bit of a haul though, but whatever. I like to get my steps in on it Sunday morning. It's not along the way. Hit a couple of tailgates every supple bride a couple of beers and stuff. Without without fail, you get the get the jay, the the whiff that the jay man loves.
Speaker 5: Ah.
Speaker 1: Yes, without fail.
Speaker 2: That that's the modern day tailgate right there, because uh, I've been tailgating for a long time college games, and that that that never you never that smell well at tailgates that the recent years. Jason brings it up, is we're gonna be talking to our good friend Jerry, the j Man coming up for his Uh, we're gonna call it the jay Man's Thanksgiving Spectacular because I just saw an interesting story today and I think he'll get a big kick out of it. But essentially it's I forget what it's It's called that. There was a story and I think it was Wall Street Journal for like, I forget what percentage is a large percentage of people who who do the I think it's called the cousin walk or something like that. You'll be sitting there and you know, Grandma or Mom's go, we're gonna be eating here in about fifteen to twenty minutes. All right, well we're gonna take the talk for a walk and come back fully uh baked? Does that punkin pie? Ready to be ready to chill down right? Ready for the they got the munchies, Yeah, big time, ready ready to eat.
Speaker 1: But that is see, I haven't been down to the I've been down to a few tail gates. I haven't noticed that though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's every every Bengals home game the way the route that I walk, inevitably.
Speaker 1: I get the whiff. Yeah, yes, well see that's the thing. You can't really downgrade anybody because you're sitting there doing shots at like eight point thirty.
Speaker 2: Last time I went, I I walk in the sidewalk and there's a guy who thinks he's being subtle about him, but he's got the door open to his suv taking a leak right there, right.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, yeah, but that's you're not.
Speaker 2: We all can see, you know, like the splash down in the concrete.
Speaker 1: Cop will be like, oh well, at least he tried to hide behind the door. Yeah right. We'll be talking to j Man after the news right now, News Radio seven hundred and w l W. All right back with the Idean Rockey Show rock out today. Jason Williams from the Inquire Cincinnati dot Com. It's with me here on Friday. But not just any Friday, Jayson, The Friday before Thanksgiving now is the Wednesday before Thanksgivings. That's still the big bar night. I haven't people talk about that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I haven't heard anybody talk about it this year, but I'm somebody mentioned it last year about it being a big bar night.
Speaker 1: Well, the new trend for Thanksgiving. This was in the Wall Street Journal, a new Thanksgiving tradition. Maybe half of the people there are stoned. And so that got me to thinking about talking to our good friend, the jay man, Jerry Joiner. Let's go weed and whiskey the whole night, and the the his whole website and the whole nine yards. Jerry will get into all that. But how you doing, buddy.
Speaker 3: Man, I'm doing great, guys down here in Texas. Everybody's getting ready to stuff their bird and light up their herb, have a good thank you giving.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And now, Jerry, this is the first I've heard that there was a name for this. They're causing it to calling the cousin Walk. Have you heard that phrase before?
Speaker 3: Because I had, guys, that went right off the top of my head because I ain't got no hair, but cousin walk.
Speaker 1: Tell me about it. Well, that's what it says. It's called, Bob. I'll just read it right from the story from the Journal. It's called the cousin Walk. The physical aspect of the trends is exactly as it sounds, with the young adult family members taking a stroll together on Thanksgiving Day before the big meal, whether it's around the block or just to the local store. It's blah blah blah, but they do. They get high to potentially stimulate, potentially stimulate appetites for Thanksgiving dinners, turkey, stuffing and so on and so on.
Speaker 3: So that makes you wonder, guys, is it get stuffed and then stoned or stoned and then stuffed bing go? That's the question. Maybe both get stone, get stuffed, get stuffed, go all day long with it. And I'm Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm not gonna lie. When I was a younger man, I would when I was living here in my family, Jared, and if you're familiar with this area, but I'm from Dayton, Ohio, which is just like sixty miles north of Cincinnati, So I would go up there every year has spend the Thanksgiving Day with my family. But I would stop at my brother's house on the way and he and I would do the cousin walk, as it were, the brother walk to the brother Walk, and go enjoy mom's fabulous Thanksgiving dinner. Now, apparently this is becoming a more of that work done before stuffed right there.
Speaker 3: Correct, that's right, stone before stuffed. And you know, you're being nice and not trying to smell up the house and make people be offended. But with everybody drinking weed, now that's that's not a problem. You know, Thanksgiving holiday is the start of the alcohol season. November in December the biggest months for selling booze and beer companies. You know, they've really taken a hit because of these THHC drinks so much that it's become federally illegal again. Governor d Wine got his wish. The three hundred and sixty days are left for people to sell these hYP drives, which blew.
Speaker 6: Up in Ohio a little while back.
Speaker 1: We talked about that a bunch of times. Yeah, and Jerry, I don't know because I was reading this just the other day. One of the and you brought up the alcohol, beer manufacturers and such that the that those lobbyists are the one behind this big They were a big time push to get this thing passed.
Speaker 3: You know, I got stone with some of my alien friends, the ones from up in outer space, not from down below the border, and we discussed this. You know, big alcohol.
Speaker 6: Use this as a test market.
Speaker 3: They let these drinks become legal to see how much people liked them and as soon as it started digging into the beer, they started a lobbying and say, let's shut this down, give us enough time to bring it into our realm. You know, the three tiered distribution system that's been in existence for alcohol, and virtually every state gives them a real dominance on this, and so they're trying to put down all these little small players that jumped up and found out how to make this stuff taste good. You know, when they first started this in twenty eighteen, because of the farm bill, Let's face it, the THAC drinks tastes like bong water. Anybody wants to drink bong water. But now they're pretty turned good, you know, and you don't have the effects that you get from alcohol. So I see this as a play where lobbyists has helped the big alcohol take this business over before it becomes they'll make.
Speaker 6: It legal again.
Speaker 3: Once big alcohols got to take we'll talk about this time next year, and I bet you that's what happens.
Speaker 2: Well, that was going to be my question to you, Jerry, was it. Yeah, so alleged are apparently there wasn't anything against you know, I'm stowing them out there, you know. Uh, Miller cores going out and making their own CBD drink, right, I mean, or was there? If you make alcohol drinks, you're not allowed to make CBD drinks?
Speaker 1: Is that the law?
Speaker 3: If you look at companies like uh A, Constellation Brand, uh Sazaraq, these huge multi billion dollar alcohol companies, alcohol companies that home own hundreds of brands, have all bought a little bitty play in some type of hip derived not the marijuana, but the hip derived space by buying little companies. And again, I think it's just to kind of test that test that market. But maybe maybe that's a maybe it's a it's a good thing because we have a problem with so many of these products now flooding or market that we don't know where they're coming from. We don't know how they've manufactured. And while I'm a proponent for using cannabis, I'm a proponent for using common sense and be careful what you're putting in your body in today's time, because there's a flood of that's came in from south of the border that we don't really know what's in those products.
Speaker 1: And well, we're talking to Jerry Joyner, the j Man and Jerry I've always wondered this, and maybe you can help us. What is exactly about smoking weed that gives you the munchies? Is it part of the chemical makeup? Is it just the smoke in general? What exactly is it? Do you know?
Speaker 6: I don't know for a fact.
Speaker 3: I can only give my opinion as a user for fifty years. But it releases serotonin and endorphins in your brain, and those things start making you feel better and feel happy, and chet Man, when I'm happy, I want some day. That's my logic in it. But I'm sure there's some more scientific reason. However, they have a substance called THCV, which suppresses your appetite. So now they got weed that makes you not get the munchies, so like a simpic weed. You know, I grew up where all we had was Mexican dirt weed or a brownie that tasted pretty bad. And that's what that's what we grew up on. And now you've got a hundred different ways to ingust th HC into your into your system. And these drinks, guys, man, they have really really came on strong against against.
Speaker 1: Beer and in alcohol.
Speaker 3: Willie himself, he's got something called Willy's remedy. It's a social tonic. It's uh, you got about eighteen shots in that bottle, and he says it's pretty darn good.
Speaker 6: And I think he knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 2: Uh, Jamien, what's your preferred kind of regular use?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 1: Gummy smoking, vaping?
Speaker 3: Well, I still smoke, but I don't smoke as much as I used to because of these these drinks and the gummies. And again it depends on when how soon do you want that effect. If you want the effect of that THC as quickly as possible, you smoke it. That That's that's been proven for a lot of that helps people but have cancer and and different elements with nausea. The smoking of that really gets into your system the fastest. Then the drinks because they're water soluble, you know, So you smoke it in a few minutes, you're high.
Speaker 6: Sometimes instantly.
Speaker 3: You drink it care fifteen minutes, kind of like a beer.
Speaker 6: Then you start to fill it.
Speaker 3: A gummy or some other type available might take an hour before you had that onset. So if you want to start going to bed at nine, you eat that gummy at eight, Well you pop me asleep by nine. You know, and that's what a lot of people are doing now. They're using these products for sweep besides just for recreation.
Speaker 1: Now, let's say it's like recommending a fine wine to go with your Thanksgiving dinner. J man, can you recommend THC drink that might be perfect, that would pair perfectly with turkey and mashed potato.
Speaker 3: With turkey and mashed potatoes. Well, I'm going to defer back to that because you can get it anywhere. Just about is that Willy's Remedy. It's very taky. You can use it as a mixer or you can drink it as a shot. You know a lot of people like to do a little shot for celebratory reasons. But if you want to stretch it out a little bit, do it as a cocktail. Will is Remedy and I do not get a check from Willie, but he does not to get on the bus every now and then.
Speaker 1: Now, and that is that something you can mail order. I don't know how how that all works.
Speaker 3: You could you could literally go to willi'sremedy dot com as you could go to there's probably five hundred different varietols of THC beverages in today's time, there's that many. Let's say three quarters of these are a beer type and the rest of them are a bottle is like a spirit And the benefit people are seeing is there's no calories, are very very little calories, and you don't have the effects that you get from drinking alcohol.
Speaker 1: You've heard me from that before.
Speaker 3: I do a couple of Jim Bames or Jack Daniels, and my wife is me the stink I he shut you off. And as I've gotten older, you know, alcohol has been less desirable to me because I can get a relaxation from these THAC products.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you. You were talking about the beverage's tastes and you know in the beginning tasting like bong water and stuff. What is it like this? Well, for instance, this Willie brew, does it kind of mock the taste of whiskey or something or what exactly are we talking about here?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 4: It?
Speaker 3: It? It?
Speaker 6: For me, is is almost more like vodka.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really have much taste to it, so you're not drinking it as much for the for the tastes, for the the effect. But they have th HC verietuals that emulate tequila. They emulate whiskey. We tried for a while with Weaed and Whiskey to to uh to come out with one that was was was palatable. We just never could get the formula right and and we said we'll we'll let the other folks deal with that.
Speaker 1: So well, I.
Speaker 2: Just caught up Williesremedy dot com. And uh, not only that, you can get the you can get coffee beans, uh will Willie's Remedy cough coffee beans, so you can you know, grind up and brew and you can get teas Willie's Remedy t T. You know.
Speaker 3: And these are all hYP derived products that will be illegal uh in less than a year from now unless there's some change, and there's a as far as I know, fourteen different lawsuits. Some states are now pushing it back against this federal band. But I think it was just a thing for the guy from Kentucky. I won't mention any names like Mitch McConnell. He's the one that made the twenty eighteen Farm Bill legal and now he's the guy that made it illegal and he's from the state of Kentucky. Let's face it, Kentucky, the big part of their economy has been in the alcohol business.
Speaker 1: So well, Jerry, let's just say that perhaps you might have read the same stories that I've read that perhaps get in a little pocket lining did not hurt that facilitation there, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I saw some commas and zeros on some of those contributions from those big alcohol companies. Last year was eight hundred thousand dollars. You know.
Speaker 6: So he's been a long time ago.
Speaker 3: This is a lot of people say this is kind of his his who wrot to the people that have supported him for such a long time. But as I said earlier, we've kind of learned that alcohol really got to take that moderation or it can have some really really uh detrimental effects on your health. And we don't see that with the THC products, not like we've seen with alcohol.
Speaker 1: All right, with that, Jerry, we'll let you go. What what are your plans for Thanksgiving?
Speaker 3: Well, We're going to the.
Speaker 6: Y old Steakhouse.
Speaker 3: My family's coming down from Oklahoma, got some other folks coming over, and I'm gonna enjoy some elk and some venison.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to go to turkey rout.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Sounds great, that's cool. How many how are we talking about there gathered around that table.
Speaker 3: Oh about a dozen of us, and of course the wild's real nice because we've got a little partner. You can go and walk outside and I guess I'll be doing the cousin walk and then a brother in law walk, and then the uncle walk and then Granny I push her in the wheels here and she leave her get me while I hit my joint.
Speaker 1: So Buddy, happy thanks. People want to find out where can they go?
Speaker 5: Buddy?
Speaker 1: What's that website again?
Speaker 3: I am j man dot com.
Speaker 1: All right, budde cheers every thanks again, Happy Thanksgiving, our good friend Jerry the jay Man Joiner, and try to imagine that family. That's gotta be a trip.
Speaker 2: As I've told you many times, when you send me the rundown of the show and the jy Man is on there, I always that is not something that It's not a world that I live in or partake in. But I thoroughly enjoy listening to and talking with the j Man.
Speaker 1: Well, he is entertaining. He definitely loves to proselytize, if you know what I mean. Yes, he preaches the word, brother, he the word, and I would just love to see that family and like, and I'm sure it's that way. I could see him doing the cousin walk, the brother in law walk, and I and and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't do the granny walk. And there's this, you know, eighty nine year old lady being pushed in a wheelchair while she munches on her gums, her gummy.
Speaker 2: Do you think j Man for his after dinner? Well, I know he takes his walk. But let's say he gets back from a walk, he's sitting there relaxing, wants a little cup of coffee. Do you think that he enjoys the Willies remedy dark crossed coffee with two hundred and fifty milligrams of CBD.
Speaker 1: That would not surprise me in the least. With that thought in mind, we check in with traffic and weather. Rick, what's going on.