Speaker 1: From a player to a coach to now starting a program from the ground up. He is University of San Diego Beach volleyball head coach Derek Olsen, and he talks about his unique journey and is now progressed to start a program next on episode eighty four of the Masters in Coaching podcast.
Speaker 2: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome into episode eighty four the Masters in Coaching podcasts Here on iHeartRadio or wherever you are consuming, we certainly appreciate it. I am Tim Kates from A five seventy LA Sports and iHeart Radio, and we are so honored to have another guest here on the Masters in Coaching podcast. And we've talked to a lot of coaches and administrators, folks that have extended their careers into retirement, those who are in the middle of their careers and excelling. And it is so excited to talk to this week's guests because not only he has he excelled everywhere he has been, but now he's starting a new endeavor where he's actually long. She need a Division one program that doesn't start until twenty twenty seven, so we're gonna get a fresh perspective on starting a program in twenty twenty six and twenty twenty seven at the Division one level. He of courses Derek Olsen, and he joins us now from the University of San Diego. Derek, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Tim absolutely looking forward to this conversation. We've talked to a lot of coaches and administrators, as I mentioned, and none we're in that first phase of starting a program maybe maybe first time coaches, maybe first time coaches at a different level, and tried to figure it out. But last fall you were named the new beach volleyball coach in charge of the entire program at University of San Diego and it's not starting until twenty twenty seven. So what is it like for you right now?
Speaker 2: Well, it's different, right it's a unique opportunity.
Speaker 3: As you said, we don't have a team this year, we're not competing, but it does provide me, you know, a unique opportunity to have a runway to build this thing out and do it the right way.
Speaker 2: So you know, I'm sure we'll dive in.
Speaker 3: But a lot of this year instead of you know, practicing with the team and being with them daily, it's recruiting and fundraising.
Speaker 2: Are the two main things.
Speaker 1: Do you have a facility already or is that something in the works.
Speaker 2: It's in the work.
Speaker 3: So we actually just submitted plans to the city, the goals to break around this summer and then to have it done ideally by the time we report next September when school starts. But they've kind of given us a timeline of somewhere somewhere in the fall where it'll be done and we'll be competing in twenty twenty seven on them.
Speaker 1: Now, this isn't your first coaching job, so you're you're not fresh to this and you know, trying to figure out as you go, but you sort of are building the programmer. You've coached University of Washington, you coached at Cal, you got extensive coaching the background at the elite beach volleyball level, USA Volleyball, International Volleyball. What is this endeavor like though? It was just something that was maybe part of the challenge and part of the fun of starting a program from ground zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it really is a dream job. And I'm so you know, I'm so loyal.
Speaker 2: To San Diego. I love this place.
Speaker 3: It's been a dream of mine to actually have this job going back eight nine years ago. This is where you know I used to live I consider home, and so to have this opportunity come up has been, uh, you know, really a dream come true.
Speaker 2: And it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's a it's a challenge in a lot of ways. But you know, with our sport, I think it's considered the fastest growing sport in NCAA history. So there's been a lot of you know, development and firsts. And you know, even with my other two positions up at University of Washington and then before that at UC Berkeley, there was.
Speaker 2: A lot of developing and creating.
Speaker 3: And you know, because every program has kind of started from you know, ground zero, but has taken a few years to develop to you know, where they are now. And so a lot of the things that I learned from my previous stops I'm applying here. You know, Like I don't think they would have hired a brand new coach in position. They wanted somebody with experience, and I kind of had that unique experience of you know, not necessarily starting from the ground up, but putting a lot of systems and you know, a lot of philosophies in place to this startup.
Speaker 1: I was shocked to hear that.
Speaker 2: Correct me if I'm on wrong.
Speaker 1: University of San Diego this is the first D one beach volleyball program in the San Diego area. Mean, we think of West Coast volleyball, beach volleyball the epicenter for you know, the volleyball circuits and high school volleyball and you know Olympic volleyball. Is University of San Diego really the first D one program to have beach volleyball in that area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's true, I know it.
Speaker 3: You would have thought that it would have been, you know, an established place within our sport from the beginning.
Speaker 2: But you know, credit to Kimya.
Speaker 3: Our athletic director, for launching this program and taking the necessary step.
Speaker 2: So that we we do have a program.
Speaker 3: And I'll tell you what, the city has been really forthcoming and their support and you know, appreciation for having a school adopt the program. And so yeah, it's it's been it's been really cool to see it.
Speaker 1: Why do you think it took so long for Division one to have beach volleyball in the San Diego area. There's other schools in that area. Why us D?
Speaker 2: Why? Now? Yeah, you know, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: And I think a lot of us that have been in San Diego for the last ten plus years have been asking those questions.
Speaker 2: And you know, I think for every schools it's different, right.
Speaker 3: Sometimes it comes down to a money issue, Sometimes it comes down to a Title nine issue. Sometimes it's just you know, what the ad wants or admin wants, and so you know, I think, you know, I'm obviously biased, but to me, it's a no brainer in San Diego, and I think we'll be real competitive.
Speaker 2: You know, from the jump.
Speaker 1: I'm curious in the recruiting that you're doing to start this program. And I asked this because I had daughters that went through it in lacrosse, and I remember, you know, looking at programs or maybe we're just starting across the country at the Division one or Division two level, and okay, there's an opportunity there. They don't have players already, they're looking for players, they're looking to build a program, and they're looking for young players. What is going to be your philosophy? Have you started it as far as building that initial team as a new program. Are you looking for young players? Are you going to look into the portal bringing experienced players a little bit of bullf Have you figure out maybe a philosophy of how you're going to start your program with players.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's something that me and my two coaches, Mike Plachek and Jayden Whitmarsh, we're talking constantly about. You know, it's tricky because we got to field an entire team. Our roster limit is nineteen, so we got to have you know, essentially nineteen by year one. But we don't want nineteen incoming freshmen, right, we want to balanced roster. The fortunate thing for us is the transfer portal makes that job easier for us, so we can go out and get athletes to have one year of eligibility, athletes that have two three, so that we can start off with a balanced roster. So that's fortunate for us. But you know, I was thinking the other day, actually, I have two young daughters, and I'm starting to think that, like, my daughters are going to be around the program a lot. So kind of my idea of recruiting, you know, on character, which is I think the most important thing is like who do I want to be role models for my daughters? Which is, you know, a perspective that I haven't even considered before, but it kind of gives me a new lens to operate within. But yeah, I mean, this is a unique opportunity, right, Like I have an entrepreneurial spirit. I love the building and the creating something rather than just jumping on something that's already well established and good, you know. So I'm looking for individuals that share that, you know, athletes that want to be a part of that process and you know, see that vision as we do. Because I think, yeah, like you said, it's a it's a really unique opportunity to be the first.
Speaker 1: I imagine and I'm just speculating. I'm I'm guessing your inbox for your email and your assistance is getting filled up pretty quickly on a daily basis. And now knowing that USD is going to have a D one Beach Volleyball program, you probably don't have to go out and sell the program, Derek, because I imagine you're getting flooded with kids looking to come to your program because of the location, being the D one program and being a new program. Am I right that? I mean you're probably getting indudated with kids that are just trying to get into your program.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we're seeing it, you know through our email box. We have camps ongoing and they're filling up within you know hours, to be honest, Wow, So yeah, I mean I kind of expected it to some degree, but probably not at this level.
Speaker 2: And you know, we're you know, we're just we're just starting.
Speaker 3: So I think when we kind of establish our identity a little bit and establish you know, how good we can be, I think that's only gonna get become more.
Speaker 2: So we're going to.
Speaker 1: Get more to the program. Some of your philosophies you mentioned character is going to be a big thing for you, and I want to touch on that in a minute, but I kind of want to go back to how you got into coaching. You're a former player, but you played indoor volleyball and then went out and played outdoor volleyball. You played on the AVP Tour, and then you got into coaching. Why what was it about coaching at that point you said, I want to get into it. I want to coach beach volleyball.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I grew up in a family of educators, so my mom taught elementary school, my dad was a pe teacher and a volleyball coach.
Speaker 2: My grand grandfather.
Speaker 3: High school coach, high school teacher, uncles, you know, so it's kind of been what I've grown up in. But you know, I started playing volleyball at the University of Oregon, actually on their club team, and I grew up around it because, as I said, my dad coached and he ran his own club and he played, and so I always kind of was interested and curious about the sport, but it was a girl sport where where I'm from at the time, and so I never really had access to it. And then finally at the University of Oregon, you know, I tried out and made the team, and I was terrible, but I at least kind of knew what the game was supposed to look like and supposed to be. So for whatever reason, I became addicted and it was I remember the first couple of years just like frustrated every day because I wanted to be better in it and it's.
Speaker 2: A hard sport.
Speaker 3: But I think finding that at nineteen and going through like the very beginning stages of it kind of gave me a unique perspective of how that process is and I could actually like absorb it and comprehend the you know, very beginner all the way through to you know, the professional level, and so that gave me a unique perspective something that I've leaned on in my coaching career. But when I graduated from the University of Oregon in two thousand and six, I moved down to San Diego, you know, with with goals to be a professional beach volleyball player.
Speaker 2: And so, you know, I worked hard at it.
Speaker 3: I sacrificed a lot, I you know, accomplished a lot of goals. I had to keep moving the goalpost, if you will, and got way better than I ever thought I could. And that actually, throughout that process gave me confidence that you know, I never really knew that I had. It's not like I was lacking self esteem or anything like that, but I had never done something like that where I put years into my development for something and saw the you know, the product of that, which was really cool.
Speaker 2: And eye opening to me.
Speaker 3: And it kind of gave me this recipe for success, like, hey, this can actually apply to other domains, this can apply across the board, and I kind of lived it, and so, you know, there's a point in time where I was I was coaching towards the end of my career, and I always say, you know, the switch for me was what you used to keep me up at night was my own like practice, my own training, my own competition's coming up. Then for whatever reason, all of a sudden, it switched to how am I going to train my athletes tomorrow? How am I going to get this person better? And thinking about drills and ideas for them, And then it was just kind of a you know, the riding was on the wall, you know, because I still had plenty of years in me physically, but I just kind of knew with that mind shift that I wanted to pursue coaching.
Speaker 1: What is it about coaching at the college level? Because you've coached Olympic teams, part of the Morocco national team, a club level, elite volleyball levels of coaching.
Speaker 2: Up and down the board.
Speaker 1: But why do you being you settled maybe at the D one level and what you've been doing at Cal Washington and now USD.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's the perfect environment because I mean there's I believe in a very holistic approach to this whole thing. And it's not just you know, the skills and drills that you do on the court during practice. There's so much more that goes into it. And so this system, this environment actually allows us to dive deeper into those other areas strength and conditioning, nutrition, mental skills, you name it. There's a bunch that goes into it, and you get the same players for an entire year that you get to just like really spend time with and develop and and to me, that's that's really cool.
Speaker 2: At the club level, you know, you get them.
Speaker 3: For practice, but there's not a ton of time outside of practice that you know you can help develop them. So it's a unique, unique environment, but it's really really cool and you get to be really hands on.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that when you were pursuing that pro career at the Grind you went through and and just the process and then flipping that switch, as you said, from a player's mentality to a coach's mentality. When you look at your style of coaching and how you you know, work your programs and in your players, is it based on that process that you went through. Is it based on that plus how you were a coach, maybe philosophies that you took from family members who were educators and coachers. When you look at how you, I guess approach coaching in your style and where where do you kind of get it from?
Speaker 3: Probably all of that, to be honest, you know, in my career, our sport is is interesting. Ten years ago, there wasn't a lot of coaching in our sport, so I grew up and developed almost myself. Like I didn't have coaches in beach volleyball, so I, you know, would watch this person, do you know a certain skill or run a certain drill, and I would adopt it. It was a whole lot of just like monkey see, monkey do, and and borrowing ideas and really training myself.
Speaker 2: And so I think.
Speaker 3: That also so helped, you know, like train my coaches eye and develop some like coaching characteristics that have helped me. But I think, you know, really my philosophy and kind of what I've learned along the way is I mean, it's a I like to coach the individual, like I don't have a cookie cutter. Everybody's got to do do it this way because to me, that's not the best approach. And I think that approach could work, and it certainly has to some degree. But if I'm going to get the most out of my athletes, I want to meet them where they're at and I want to see if I can develop them as individuals.
Speaker 1: You mentioned no coaching in beach volleyball, and I want to kind of pick up on that. Why was there no coaching for beach volleyball? Was it just because the players maybe knew more than the coaches and can teach themselves. And now we're maybe at a point where that generation and I'm gonna lump you into that great generation of volleyball players that now are older and can't be coaches. Is it just the evolution that way? Is that why we have coaching now when beach volleyball?
Speaker 3: You know, it's I think part of it is money, right, Coaching costs money, and the way our sport has been set up traditionally, you only get paid if you depending on how well you do in tournaments, right, And so it just wasn't and especially if you're playing you know, internationally, you're traveling a bunch, Like those costs just add up if you're also having a coach.
Speaker 2: You know, I and I did have.
Speaker 3: Some coaching like later on in my career, but it was you know, for a few trainings here and there.
Speaker 2: It wasn't like a consistent, consistent thing.
Speaker 3: But really it just it became a bigger thing really because of NCAA and obviously you have to have a coach with these NCAA teams, so it created more coaching opportunities, which is really cool.
Speaker 2: And then because of the NCAA.
Speaker 3: Growth, the club level and the junior level really took off, and then there was more coaching opportunities at the club level. So it's almost like there was more coaching at these lower levels than there were at the professional levels.
Speaker 2: And it's still true to this day.
Speaker 3: You know, they're more and more pros are are, you know, having coaches now, and now our national governing body USA Volleyball is really supporting and providing coaching, you know, stipends and money for coaches, so it's now become much more prevalent.
Speaker 2: But yeah, back in the day, it was.
Speaker 3: That was an additional cost and we didn't want to spend that money, so we just we just went without.
Speaker 1: Derek Olsen is our guest. He's the first ever coach at University of San Diego Beach Volleyball program, launching the team for its inaugural twenty twenty seven season, and you mentioned character early on. I want to talk about what you're looking to do establishing this program. Certainly you're looking for volleyball players that can play and be competitive and ultimately win.
Speaker 2: But how are you setting up your program?
Speaker 1: It's maybe some found and some pillars that you want to establish right away with culture at USD.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean for sure.
Speaker 3: I mean I think the point of this whole thing is to win championships, right, But you're never going to get there if you can't build culture first and build a team that gets the most out of itself. And so that's hard. I think that's, you know, probably the hardest thing. But the goal is to establish that. I mean, we want synergy, which is one plus one equals three. That's what we wanted within our team. And you got to have high character athletes that will get you there.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean character is a.
Speaker 3: Lot harder to recruit on because you have a limited amount of time to get to know these athletes and figure out what they're all about, and you know, you get it wrong.
Speaker 2: Everybody gets it wrong.
Speaker 3: Watching skill and predicting skill is a lot easier because it's you can watch film and get that, but you know whether or not and an athlete communicates well gets along well with others, you know, has a gritty mindset, which is passion and perseverance towards long term goals. You don't know like that those things are so much harder to recruit on. So you know, we try and we look at those things and we have some ideas as to how we assess those characteristics and athletes.
Speaker 2: But at the end of the day, too, we're we're recruiting high school kids. Like I was an idiot in high school.
Speaker 3: If anybody judged me on my character, you know, hopefully they would have seen some great things.
Speaker 2: But you know, we change, we grow, and so.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's hard, but that's the goal is to you know, bring in athletes that see this not as the finish line, but as just the next step in their progression. And I don't need, you know, nineteen athletes that are trying to win gold medals eventually. I just want that nineteen athletes that are about the game, work well with others, and you know, are competitive.
Speaker 1: We get a lot of parents that listen and watch you and coaches and administrators on this podcast, and I think the biggest feedback I get is, you know, can you ask him as a parent, you know, how do I get my kid recruited?
Speaker 2: What are they looking for?
Speaker 1: And I think you're the perfect person to talk to about it starting a program. You've been successful at the Division one level and you're coaching a D one program, and that's where a lot.
Speaker 2: Of parents and kids want to get to.
Speaker 1: Is that level. If I'm a parent and I want to get my daughter or or I want to get my child recruited into volleyball indoor outdoor to a Division one school like yourselves, you know, what do I do? Do I have to play the club circuit? Do I need to reach out to the coaches? Well, the coaches find my child that they're good enough? You know, what do I need to do to get my kid to a D one program?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think.
Speaker 3: I think the biggest thing is to not worry about things that are outside of your control. And so much of that is outside of your control, what coaches think of you, where coaches are going to be at, how coaches are going.
Speaker 2: To respond, like, so much of.
Speaker 3: That is out of side of you know, the athlete and the parents' control. And so I always say like, look, you've got to just develop yourself and be as good as you possibly can, because I guarantee you you're going to open up more doors the better you are. And you know, of course with that on court skill, there's also that characteristic piece, you know, like work on your body language, work on how you are as a teammate, because when you get that opportunity in front of a coach, like, you want to represent yourself in the best way possible. But I see because I've you know, dealt with a lot of parents at the club level as well and have been on that side working with parents getting their athletes recruited, and there's there can be so much energy spent on you know, where they need to be, like, you know, how are we going to get looked at? Which is there's some truth to that obviously, and you need to be in the right places, but that's very very small in comparison to get as good as you possibly can, Like it's as simple as that, and you will find an home.
Speaker 2: You will find a home.
Speaker 3: Now with that being said, there's some there's some things like you know, attending camps, institutional camps. I think that's the best way because you get to work with coaches and you know, get to usually see campus a little bit and and you know, communicate with them in a way that's a little bit unique. So to me that would be, you know, probably a smart move. But man, like, the one thing I would say is just like, focus on what you can to be better.
Speaker 2: It's as simple as that, really, Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 1: Derek Golsen is our guest here episode eighty four of the Matters in Coaching podcast here on iHeartRadio, talking a little bit about the program before it launches in twenty twenty seven. What are your goals? Have you set goals for year one? Have you set goals year three, year five? Long term? And if so, what are those goals look like?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'd be lying if I if I said that I didn't have any. Obviously, I'm a competitor. I'm competitive. I want to be as good as I possibly can. I want to eventually win some championships, you know, and I'm a little bit impatient admittedly, Like I want this thing to be good from the jump, but so much of that is related to our athletes. And if I just you know, impose my goals and what I feel like I want to accomplish on them, I think it's kind of robbing them of their experience and their process. So you know, I have mine internally, you know, certainly, you know, like like I.
Speaker 2: Said, I want to be really competitive.
Speaker 3: But that's something that we're going to discuss as a team when I figure out, you know, which nineteen I have at the beginning of school. We're going to go through that process and say, all right, like what is does what does success look like to us?
Speaker 2: Can we define it? Are we in control of that definition? And what are our goals?
Speaker 3: But you know, it's important to set goals for sure, because you need a north star, you need to know where to go. But as cliches it sounds, it's all about the process. So that outcome will you know, there's no guarantee that you're going to win league or win a championship or make NCAAs or whatever the goal is. If you're not focused on the process. You know, the process will increase the likelihood of that, but it's not going to guarantee like anything can happen. So so yeah, I think I think goals are really important to have and collaborate with your team.
Speaker 1: Now, you mentioned you come from a family of educators and coaches. You're a coach now yourself and have been at an elite level, but found time to get your master's in Coaching and Exercise Science from Throughqordia University of Irvine. You got your degree from Oregon and you got your mattress from Cordia. Talk a little bit about why it was important for you, Derek, to get that matters in coaching and exercise science.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I knew it was always important.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, when I graduated from the University of Oregon, I decided that I wasn't going to pet school.
Speaker 2: I was done with school.
Speaker 3: So it wasn't until I matured a little bit and you know, found the passion for coaching that I realized, hey, I might want to go back and you know, educate myself further. But you know, it's difficult, especially when you're holding down a full time job, to go back and go back to school. And so you know, when when COVID hit in twenty twenty, I was coaching at CAL and I was the head coach. And after you know, three weeks of the shutdown, I could sense that we're in it for the long haul, Like this thing is not coming back anytime soon. I'm gonna have a ton of time on my hands. So that's when I decided, this is the perfect time. Everything's going to be online, you know, this is the perfect time to go and get my masters.
Speaker 2: And so I started researching.
Speaker 3: Programs and Concordia, you know, they had enrollment applications due like the next week or something like that. So I just jumped in and uh and did it. And the timing was was perfect, right while everybody else was. I mean I absorbed some Netflix, don't get me wrong, but while everybody else was just kind of living their best life, you know, doing their own thing. I got a master's and I actually spent a ton of time, uh writing a journal book that I that I wanted to produce. And so yeah, I had my fun too, and got to hang out with my wife a bunch. But I you know, made good use of the time that we had because I know it was obviously a unique year of not having to really work, and so yeah, I just went for it.
Speaker 1: Right time, right place to get it done and talk a little bit about the program and your experience in it, and you know, we often hear, oh, okay, I was going in with one mindset, and I learned a lot from a coach in a different sport and kind of talking path and watching the stream so to speak of different sports kind of opens you up the new maybe technique and philosophies and ways to approach coaching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was I mean, really the program, I didn't really know what to expect, to be honest, because you hear coaching and and you know, as a coach, I was like, okay, I am a coach, Like, and I'm going to learn how to be a coach, Like what does this mean?
Speaker 2: Like is this just more of the same of what I already know?
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean, you know, the whole program is really just this big exercise of being aware of self and being aware of you know, what your philosophies are and actually having to like put that in you know, in writing and articulate that and express that. So you know, it was really valuable for me, and obviously you know, I went through it, and I would encourage anybody to go through, you know, a master's and coaching because it really forces you to it forces you to be a better coach, to be honest, I mean, because if you can't articulate your philosophy, if you can't articulate, you know, like why you're doing what you're doing your core values, then you probably haven't spent enough time, you know, honing your craft.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, to me, it was it was really valuable in that way.
Speaker 1: Nfortia does a coaching conference every spring and a lot of the attendees are people going through the program, coaches at lower levels, coaches who are new coaches to guiding different sports and doing it at different levels. But it's the high school level or college level. You've been through this now in Division one level and you mentioned club as well and professionally, what advice would you give a young coach that getting into the profession and is wide eyed and looking around and wants to get to where you're at right now? What's the best advice would you give to that person?
Speaker 3: Keep an open mind and say, yes, I mean literally, fortune favors the bold, and you know, I've had to take leaps that I didn't necessarily want to take. You know, I've had to bet on myself a handful of times. But you know that's what it takes. Like You've got to be willing to do stuff that the next person who wants the same position isn't willing to do and so I think that's been, you know, crucial in my journey. And then you know, just like I said saying yes, meeting with people, having having an open mind, and you know, not being somebody that does the same thing over and over because that's what you've always done. I've changed and evolved and that's part of my philosophy. I hope I'm evolving every single year that I that I do this, But it takes effort to do that.
Speaker 2: It's just not going to just happen naturally.
Speaker 3: So yeah, keeping an open mind on you know, skill acquisition, philosophy, culture building, leadership, all these different things. I think if you keep an open mind and you go for it, you're going to land where you want to be as long as you have the passion for it as well.
Speaker 1: Final thing, and I really appreciate the time. Let's talk a little bit about beach volleyball as a whole. The growth of the sports from the AVP Tour to international to the Olympics to Division one college volleyball outdoors in the sand. The sport has grown, and you talked about now the coaching that has evolved in the last decade or so, you've seen the growth of the sport. Where can it go?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: What do you think is next for the sport of beach volleyball.
Speaker 3: Well, there's still plenty of programs to add, right, I mean, we're still relatively small, I would say, as far as you know sports go, and the number of institutions that have programs, So there's still a ways to go as far as you know schools adopting the sport. But you know, even through the last few years, which have been financially troublesome for a lot of for most schools, we've seen growth and so I think it's just going to continue to take off. And with that, with the with the opportunities provided at n c A, it just only feeds opportunities for the juniors. And we're really seeing this model of like we're building like a very strong foundation for our sport and it's going to eventually. It already is and in a lot of ways, but it's eventually going to trickle up and funnel towards the top and our in our professional tour. I think our our professional Tour, the a VP has a ways to go. It's been you know, I don't know if I want to say struggling, but it hasn't been as big as we all hope. And I think with the interest that we have, you know, below it, I think it's going to explode. We're seeing our college game and our domestic game become way more international. So a lot of international prospects are now playing in college because they see the value of our system and how we develop athletes and the training that they're getting. So it's really become this globalized game at the college level. And then you know, we're already seeing it represented at the Olympics, but I think, you know in LA you're going to see it. You know even more, how many of those Olympic athletes in the in the women's game went to college in the United States and played in the NCAA system.
Speaker 2: And then the other area is the men's game.
Speaker 3: And you know, obviously you know with Title nine, and there's some challenges that are still there, and you know, I think there there is some growth with the men's game at the college level, but hopefully there's more of that in the future. But like I said, they have some hurdles that are kind of unique to them.
Speaker 1: Well, Derek really appreciate the time enjoyed the conversation. I know our listeners did as well. A unique perspective as a player coach at the highest level and now starting a program from the ground up with its inaugural season in twenty twenty seven, A great perspective. Really enjoyed it. Thank you so much for joining us here on the Masters and Coaching podcast.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me, Tim, And don't be afraid to follow us Instagram. I don't know our Instagram had all handle, but find us. We're on there, and come out and support us next season.
Speaker 1: All right, there, he goes. Derek Olsen, the head coach of the beach volleyball program at the University of San Diego. They don't play until twenty twenty seven. He was introduced as the new head coach last fall, and he is building that program literally brick by brick from the ground up. Brand new facilities being worked on, and he's building that program with his assistant coaches from scratch. What a journey he has embarked on. He's had success at cal at the University of Washington, a former player himself on the AVP Tour, coach the national team at the Olympics from Morocco, a lot of success as a coach and now embarking on a new journey starting a program from scratch. Our best at him and his coaching staff. No doubt, we'll be keeping an eye on what Derek Olsen and the USD Beach Volleyball Program do in the years to come. You heard him. He was a graduate of the Masters in Coaching and Exercise Science program at Concordia University, Irvine. Different start times throughout the year. Find one that fits your schedule. Find out more about the programs at CUI dot edu slash Coaching. You get a one thousand dollars scholarship for first time students in the program CUI dot edu slash Coaching. Find out more about the program, how you can do it online in person, and find out when that next start time is to start that next part of your career as a coach, administrator, and as a leader. Again thanks to Derek Olsen, new Beach Volleyball director of their program which starts in twenty twenty seven, and he has hit the ground running now at USD. Thanks to Derek, Thanks to you for listening watching being a part of episode eighty four of the Masters in coaching podcast until next time. Tim Kate saying so long, everybody,