Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. And we're joined right now by the leader of this team, a man that is entering his eleventh season as the Dodger manager. And there's only one other Dodger manager that has won more World Championships than Dave Roberts, and that is the Hall of Famer Walter Alston. Dave, thanks a lot for the time, and hard to believe this is your eleventh spring training.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Dave, it's hard when you put it that way, and it's flown by, and there's been a lot of great memories, moments, and I think the fun part about, you know, my job in this spring is I just have I my coaches, the players have as much enthusiasm about showing up to work each day, and that's you know, an accomplishment, you know, for everyone, and so something to be really proud of. And yeah, twenty twenty five was great, the years prior great, but you know, I'm really excited. I would almost say that I'm more excited about twenty six and in a year I've been with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it feels like this group and yourself are still very hungry after back to back championships.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are, and I think that, you know, a lot of people ask me, you know, what's a message for a team that's won two in a row, three in the last six years, And I think for me, it's just continuing to, you know, practice the right way, the process, and play hard and try to make everything we do matter. And so for me as a coach, when I do stand back and I watch us workout and the intent behind everything we do, it's buttoned up and that's something that's pretty exciting for all of us.
Speaker 1: Dave, I talked to Miguel Rojas and Mookie Betts about this. You guys have never shied away from expectations, not from the outside but amongst each other. And when I said three pete, they said, you can say that as loud as you want, because that's what we want.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I agree, And I think that when you're I guess, when you are secure in you know your team, team, who you are individually, you're not afraid to run from expectations because our own expectations should be higher than what anyone else could expect. So yeah, but I think, Dave is that we do a good job of understanding what is at stake, but also the most important part of it is to kind of focus on the work each day. And you know, like I said many times, you're not going to win a World Series in February. You're not going to win a three peet in February. Your goal is to get better each day. And I think our guys do as good a job as anyone as you know, putting on those blinders and folks on each day.
Speaker 1: You always do everything with a purpose to connect to each individual and to connect to the group. You mentioned to us at FanFest that you played at the Holy Grail Augusta during the offseason, but you also brought Freddie Freeman and Mookie Betts. What was that experience like for yourself and to have two of your best players come with you.
Speaker 2: It was actually Will Smith and Mookie and it was great. And I think for me it's they love the game of golf, and you know, we've been in a lot of big games together, and I think for me it was more of trying to continue to build that relationship off the field and build that trust. And I've got it with those guys as well as and you mentioned Freddie, and so it's Also, you know, we spend so much time together on the field, but building relationships away from the field just makes it that much stronger. And it was a memory that I know all three of us remember forever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not too many managers have that type of relationship to do something like that when you take them out, even to a special golf course like that. Do you do that with a purpose to maybe get the temperature, maybe start to get the message for the season going. When you're you know, waiting for your turn or you're standing around.
Speaker 2: You know what, it's funny not really pointed conversations about you know what we're trying to do, what we've done. It's more of, you know, talking about golf. But I think it's really getting to know each other away from the ball field. And I think, you know, the more you spend time with people, you get to kind of learn what they value as people, and our interests are the way we kind of live our lives and the things we value are aligned, and that just bleeds onto the baseball field. So it doesn't have to be something that we have to manufacture conversations about what we need to do. And so I think that's really powerful in itself.
Speaker 1: All right, So I'm going to say something here that I feel is somewhat true. Shoe Aotani obviously doesn't speak a lot publicly, but neither does Will Smith. The guy hits the go ahead home run to clinch the World Series in Game seven, we don't hear a lot from him. What have you learned about Will Smith that we may not know to allow him to be one of, if not the most clutch players in baseball?
Speaker 2: You know? What have? What does a public the people not know? He's an open book, really is. He's very simple in his preparation. I think he's a very confident player, but a humble player, smart player. I think the main thing with Will why he has success in big moments is because he plays for the right reasons. You know, in the biggest of moments. He's a guy that can hit a groundball to move a guy to third base. He's a guy that can take a walk in a big spot or hit a home run. And Will is as good of a team player as I've ever been around. He's a very unselfish player. Doesn't answer your question because honestly, what you see is what you get, and I think for me is I like dependable players, and he's as dependable as I've been around.
Speaker 1: How much do we not appreciate the fact this guy was playing with a broken hand for the majority of the postseason and all of a sudden started to get the power. His first extra base hit of the postseason came in Game one of the World Series. Is he one of your toughest guys? And does that go unnoticed by the outside, you know, fandom.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the catching position is a serving position. It certainly gets annotice anyway. You know what he's done for the pitching staff, I thought he the way he navigated the pitching staff this year in the postseason was as good of a job behind the plate as I've seen. And yeah, you know, starting the postseason, we had Ben rart Vett catching games to start, certainly in that Philly series, and for Will to come back off the bench to kind of get his hand back to full strength. He had a big hit in Philly, a lot of big hits, and then then to you know, look out into the World Series, catch eighteen innings and catch every inning of the World Series is pretty remarkable. And he's never a self promoter, never looking for credit and he just wants to play to win, so he's certainly under the radar. But I but I do know that in this clubhouse, guys, you could argue that he's most valuable player we have if you kind of bake in the offense and the defense.
Speaker 1: Before I let Dave Robert Scoe. He's doing a lot of things at once, all the time managing his relationships with Andrew Freeman, the players and the fans, and also the Dodger Foundation. When you look back at these previous ten years and you look forward, Freddie Freeman keeps talking about four more years? How much would you love to write out the next four years with Freddie? And have the previous ten been everything you thought they would be?
Speaker 2: The previous ten have been everything and more than I thought hoped it would be. I do think that it's only going to get better because of the relationships that we forge are strengthened. I'm excited for Freddie to play four more years, and Lord willing it is with the Dodgers. For me, I know I've got four years left on my contract. I think think that you know, I'm having as much fun as I've ever had. So we'll see, you know, once this one ends, and we win a couple more championships, a few more championships.
Speaker 1: How addicting is winning?
Speaker 2: It's you know, once you get a taste of it, you know it is. I think addiction is the right word, and obsession, and you know, but I think the thing, Dave, is that winning is an addiction and obsession. But the practice, the love for it, the process, that's what the great ones have an addiction to. And our guys, two of men, are addicted to getting continuing to get better as ballplayers, and.
Speaker 1: It starts with the skipper, Dave Roberts. Everybody in that clubhouse admires the way you lead this team. The people behind the scenes feel the same way. And I think I speak for everybody in La Dave Roberts is certainly the right man for the right time in Dodger history.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm in great company, a lot of good players, great organizations, surrun by a lot of great people, and our fan base. Dave, you know, there's nothing like Dodger Nation. There really isn't. And there's a reason why players want to come here and play for the Dodgers, the boys in Blues. So we're gonna wrap up spring training where we're off to a good start and I just can't wait for our fan base to, you know, welcome us when we get ready to start the regular season.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the time, Dave, really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: You got it, Dave.
Speaker 1: There he goes Dodger manager Dave Roberts, ready for all the expectations that he and his players are not shying away from a chance to make history to three peat.