Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. Wega running back.
Speaker 1: To get him on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven Day and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase Day.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eight thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers get their first series win at PNC Park since twenty twenty one, taken the first game of this series. Remember they scored ten runs in the seventh inning of the first game of this series and then hold on and make eight runs count this time for an eight to six win. So a stadium. For whatever reason, the Pirates have not been very good the last four years, but the Dodgers just haven't been able to take two out of three, and they did tonight, winning eight to six and taking the series at P and C Park for the first time since twenty twenty one. We have phone lines open at eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy before we get to your phone calls. Obviously you heard the Clubhouse show. Dave Roberts said, Otani coming out of this game in the seventh inning was more of a hamstring issue. And uh, I don't know if that makes you feel any better, because hamstrings can put you on the show for four to six weeks as well. So you got to be very careful with Otani. You don't want him blowing out that left hamstring. You don't want him to have a Grade one, a Grade two, any great hamstring. And I know Dave continues to maintain that the chances are high that Otani will be in the lineup tomorrow, but I would air on the side of caution for a team that loves to air on the side of caution. You don't want to force the issue with Otani, and you can't let him make the decision because if it's up to Otani, he's gonna say I'm good, I'm gonna play. You gotta protect him from himself. If it was up to me, Shoe, Otani would not be playing tomorrow. And consider this, don't take this for granted. Otani last night six and two thirds innings, pitched one hundred and two pitches. The knee, the left leg. The hamstring is his landing leg. It's the same leg that he had surgery on in twenty nineteen that was on his kneecap. He was born with some sort of left kneecap issue and started to feel symptoms during twenty nineteen while he was pitching and had that repaired surgically. This, as Dave Roberts said, is more behind the knee, but kneecap, hamstring. I'm not messing with it. I hope, I hope the Dodgers are able to protect Otani from himself and not have him start tomorrow night, because this guy shoulders a lot physically, emotionally, mentally to be able to do what he does. And you know, it was hot and humid in Pittsburgh. It's gonna be hotter and more humid in Chicago. Trust me. Uh, that's where fatigue and injuries really start to happen. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number we will hear from Justin Robleski in a moment. But I want to go out to the phone calls Dan in see me Valley lead us off on Dodger Talk. I've talked enough, Dan, I want to hear from you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dave. Yeah, you know, I was reading on social media a little bit ago about people complaining about Kyle Tucker. You know, I think it's really still too early to pass judgment on him. You know, he's actually had a good road trip and he continues to, uh, you know, get on base, whether it be via the walk or you know, these little bloopers that he just happens to hit and he's driving and run. So you know, yeah, he made some mistakes in the outfield, but uh, I think, you know, I think we got to give him a chance. I think he's potentially, you know, dynamite for the Dodgers down the stretch. I think he can be very, very very productive in the playoffs or in the postseason. Uh yeah, So you know, I just want to I just want to put the brakes on on just criticizing him too soon. And I wish the best for Robuski and Otani. I know these guys are competitors and want to get out there. But yeah, on the side of caution.
Speaker 4: Thank you all.
Speaker 2: Right, Dan, you still there? Okay? He hung up. He just wanted to talk at us. Okay, Dan. The one I was gonna tell you, the one play that I thought, uh salvage the night for Kyle Tucker more than any other play tonight was the fact fact that he did strike out but strike three was dropped to start the eighth inning, and his run was a big run because he got all the way to third base and Miguel Rojas hit a sacrifice fly to score Tucker. That run would not have come in if Kyle Tucker doesn't have the awareness A and B the hustle to get to first base on a drop strike three. So to me, that was the biggest play for Kyle Tucker tonight to help the Dodgers win. And how about Miguel Rojas drives in two runs tonight without getting a hit. It was a contact play in the what inning was that? That was in the seventh inning and Alex call great base running play, was able to score just ahead of the tag or under the tag, and Rojas in the eighth inning with a sacrifice fly to score Tucker who got on after a drop strike three. So really good game by the Dodgers. In a gritty way. They did leave a lot of runs on the table. They left fourteen men on base tonight, but they were just three for twelve with runners in scoring position. They found a way to get enough runs. They did something right, scoring eight runs like they did last night. They scored eight runs in the last two games at P and C Park and come away with one win. So a rough night for the bullpen last night. And it's been a rough go for the Dodger bullpen since May twenty fifth. They've been giving up a lot of home runs thirteen home runs in their last forty five innings pitched. Tonight, they did not give up a home run, and they were much better, in particular Jack Dryer and Tanner Scott, who have been scuffling a little bit. That was huge for Tanner Scott to come in in the eighth inning to get Brian Reynolds, and then Mow threw the heart of the Pirates lineup in the ninth inning for a four out safe, So it looked like Tanner Scott, whatever he was doing tonight is is more of the Tanner Scott we've seen this season. All right, let's head back to Pittsburgh right now. Get you an update on Justin Robleski, who had to leave this game with two outs in the fifth inning after taking a line drive off his right hand string.
Speaker 5: I had two outstart in that fifth inning, and all the everything pretty much come with two outs there. That's frustrating. But I just didn't throw the ball very well today, just as a whole. Even before then, I just felt like I wasn't I don't know, just one of those outings today where I just felt like I didn't throw a greade and it's a it happens. That's part of the game, and that's you know, it keeps you coming back. So yeah, I just felt like I didn't quite have the command that I usually have early incounts, and I think it cost me.
Speaker 6: Do you think that's kind of led to some of the kind of long grap bats early in the game. In the pitch count app it seemed like you kind of had to ease in a little slower into this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I think I just again wasn't making good pitches early accounts, and they were just kind of sitting there taking them, and I just know they weren't hard takes for them or anything. And yeah, just again just one of those outings for me, just felt like I wasn't SYNCD up perfect, but felt good. So thank god, you know, I'm okay. Rounds is okay. So thankfully that whole situation. Everyone's good and I'm on to the next one.
Speaker 7: Walk this through that play Where exactly did they catch it?
Speaker 2: And when it happened over at the pace? Yeah, I mean it got.
Speaker 5: Me straight in the hamstring and then you know, I mean, I'm trying to get over there and make a play, and it's you know, it's it's really hard to get over there on a player. Freddy's got to throw it and I've got to catch it, find the bag and get a guy that's a pretty good runner, you know what I mean. So it's just it's a tough play to to make and I just I just missed the day, So that's.
Speaker 1: Part of it.
Speaker 8: It was the comingback or not the no.
Speaker 5: Yeah, thankfully, thankfully, Yeah, thankfully he kind of he kind of got out of the way enough to where we just barely touch each other. I think I don't know yet that's again, but it felt like we really touch each other, and you know, he's okay, I'm okay.
Speaker 2: So all's good there.
Speaker 9: How does it feel where you got hit?
Speaker 6: And do you expect it to affect the next couple of days of you routine at all?
Speaker 5: No, I think you know. I'll put some get some treatment done to it, get the swelling down. I'll I'll be good to go to a little bruise right now, but I'll be fine, all right.
Speaker 2: There's Justin Robleski on sports and at LA. Good to hear that whatever that contusion on his right hamstring off the line drive not a big issue, So that's good news for the Dodgers. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue, we're gonna hear from Will Smith, who was officially placed on the injured list today. Also, I'm gonna share with you the dumbest debate on national TV today as it concerns the All Star Game and who should be the National League DH. It's uh, it's pretty ridiculous what they come up with to debate on television these days, and this may be the most wildest one I've seen yet. So a lot more Dodger talk to get to your phone calls included at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy and don't forget Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello The Mark of a Fighter. Dodgers beat the Pirates eight to six on FI seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA Sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Bassen.
Speaker 10: Pay off pitch and Otani swings hits the ball deep to right field, heading back.
Speaker 2: Toward the wall. It is done right over the.
Speaker 1: Wall and right center field.
Speaker 10: Show Hey Old Tani home run number thirteen and the Dodgers get on the board first. It's one nothing on a frozen rope home run till the right center field gap bang just over the wall at the three seventy five mark.
Speaker 2: Show Hey Otani is on a heater. In his last thirty games, He's hitting three seventy three with seven home runs and twenty six RBIs, including that one in the third inning breaking a scoreless tie. Otonius home in two consecutive games, coming off a well pitched game last night. Going into the seventh inning. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card. Visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com, use the keyword home run, enter your name and you could win Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. I just got to get this off my chest. I was flipping around MLB network earlier today and I see that they're debating who should be the starting DH for the National League. And they were debating whether or not Otani or Schwarber should be the DH for the National League. Now, I know the game is in Philadelphia, don't get me wrong, but Christopher Sanchez probably starting that game. Here's my Here's here is the problem. Kyle Schwarber hitting two thirty nine with twenty four home runs, nine thirty three ops. Right chicks dig the long ball. I get that when he hits some they go really far, like he did in the NLDS last year. But we're talking about Shohe Otani. We're talking about the greatest player we have ever seen in this game, who, by the way, is now all of a sudden, the hottest hitter in baseball. Right now. On top of what he's doing on the mound, Otani after tonight is hitting three h five with an ops of nine sixty four. He has thirteen home runs forty RBIs. My point is he's a better hitter and a better player and a better attraction than Kyle Schwarber is even in Philadelphia. Do you believe the world wants to see Kyle Schwarber as the Nation League D if all things are equal, which they aren't. Do you think, just because Kyle Schwarber has hit more home runs and may have twenty points higher of an ops and slugging percentage than show Hao Tani, that the world wants to see Kyle Schwarber starting as the DH instead of show Hao Tani leading off for the National League going up against who knows who the best of the best in the American League to start the All Star Game. You gotta be kidding me. That is the dumbest debate I have seen. That is so contrived. Be better, come up with something a little more creative. Nobody wants to see Kyle Schwarber as the starting DH over Show Hao Tani. And that goes back to what I talk about. Don't take this guy. For granted, he's the greatest player we have ever seen. If he only had five home runs, I don't care. I want to see show as the DH and leading off for the Dodgers, which he doesn't. His numbers are right there with Schwarbers outside of the home runs, So come on, I mean, that's a ridiculous debate. I don't know any kid in America who's going on MLB dot com and voting for Kyle Schwarber over Shoeotani. There is no debate. Shoe Heo Tani is the best player on the planet. Kyle Schwarber is a nice player, and I don't want to go as far to say a softball player, but he's a one dimensional player that hits home runs a long way and we should all enjoy him in the home run derby. But there is no way that anybody wants to see Kyle Schwarber over Sho Haotani as the National League DH. Debate over, don't bring it up again. Let's go out to Vah Bill. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vase Bill. Is there any debate over that?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Bill, You're like Tama Scotty. Just give us the direct answer.
Speaker 7: I just wanted to ask you what you think about the flurry of home runs lately, both by the starters and the relievers. It's a little bit picked up since the Giants series here in LA. I'm just wondering if it's just just a bad trend or is it just something the bull will come and go well.
Speaker 2: Like I mentioned earlier, thirteen home runs and forty five innings by the Dodger bullpen coming into tonight is not a trend you want to see continue, and it's not a trend that started the year. The Dodger bullpen has been pretty good, but obviously the bullpen is the most volatile part of any team and they're not going to be perfect. So I think the way the Dodgers starters are going deep into the game and you know, minimizing how many innings the bullpen asked cover is advantageous for those guys until the Dodgers get Brock Stewart back, Evan Phillips back, and Edwin Diaz back. Thanks for the phone call, Bill, Let's go out to Ventura, Andrew. You're on Dodger Talk with David basse Hi.
Speaker 4: Andrew, Hey, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 4: I just think that the Dodgers have had bullpen problems for going on ten years now. And you're talking about the bullpens being the most volatile part of any lineup.
Speaker 2: Really, do you think the Dodgers ballpen has been bad for ten years?
Speaker 4: Bullpen problems? It just seems like they always give up runs and stuff. I mean, of course there's a statistically they do. Yeah, but by uh remember when Hanks che quo and uh.
Speaker 2: You're going way further back. That's longer than ten years. Well, yeah about Brandon Morrow. How about Brandon Morrow and Kenley Jansen? How about JP Howell? How about those guys.
Speaker 4: It seemed like we had a seven eight nine that came in every for every closeout game or you know, every game that we needed to close.
Speaker 2: He had that set up until Edwin Diaz got hurt. Yeah, you'll have that again. And Evan Phillips is on his way back, so you know, I know right now the bullpen is a little thin. But sorry, that's a that's a general generality right there. That's not accurate. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. I just saw the sports net LA replay of the Dodgers' pregame dugout celebration. I thought the funniest part of that dugout celebration is Otawni mocking Will Smith not playing because of a stiff neck, and he's turning his shoulders and not even twisting his neck in front of Will Smith to make fun of the fact that he's on the il with a bad neck. Speaking of Will Smith, he finally spoke, broke his silence about his neck and the mysterious il stint that finally had been today.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's been a long few days. Uh, Yeah, happened in Arizona. Played on a couple of days, played on a home and then yeah, just that third or fourth day, I kind of felt it was just been a lot worse. Couldn't play that day, And it's one of those things thought was gonna get little better in a couple days, just taking a little bit longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when you.
Speaker 6: Said it happened in Arizona, was that something like in the game or just kind of like maybe how you woke up you felt it.
Speaker 8: I just woke it up. It was tight. That happens every now and then goes away in a day or two. It just didn't this time.
Speaker 1: How's the feel now, It's feel better.
Speaker 8: It's not one hundred percent, uh, but it's you know, the pain's kind of going away now. There's still a lot muscle, their tight trap and all that stuff, but getting better day by.
Speaker 5: Day, like swinging and doing stuff over the next couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I've been hitting and throwing the last few days, running and stuff. So it's it's pretty close. So hopefully, you know, the day I'm able to come off, I can come back and play.
Speaker 2: No, that's the plan for now.
Speaker 4: When you.
Speaker 2: Just all the time, Yeah, one side.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's all on the right side. It's just like an inflamed disc, I guess basically, which is causing most of the pain. But it's nothing too serious. Nothing I'm like worry about long term or anything. Just gotta get it right now. Showed got No, I just saw a doctor and I was able to do There was no need for the imaging or in that.
Speaker 5: Part more.
Speaker 8: All of it just turning my neck.
Speaker 2: You gotta love some of these answers. That was Will Smith. I'm sports at l a look. Will Smith caught more innings last year's in last year's World Series than any other catcher in the history of the game, including all eighteen innings of Game three of the World Series. And he he told me it took him a little longer to recover from the season last year. In the offseason, he delayed getting ready for this year because of the toll of a seven game World Series, and obviously, you know, catching a lot of games last year. And also he started the year playing for the World Baseball Classic. So Will Smith is not twenty something anymore. He's actually thirty one years old. I know that's hard to wrap our heads around because he has that baby face assassin look still, but he's thirty one years old. And the Dodgers called up Chuckie Robinson. I was surprised by that choice. But Chuckie Robinson was here for one game. He played one game last year. I think he actually got called up in Pittsburgh when Ben Rourtvitz started to become the everyday catcher for the Dodgers. So Chuckie Robinson is the backup catcher. He's probably going to catch a game, Dave Roberts said against the Rays when the Dodgers returned home from this trip. But Dalton Rushing, he's wanted an opportunity to play every day. He's getting that opportunity to play every day with the injury to Will Smith. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Pirates tonight by a final score of eight to six. They are headed to the South side of Chicago to start a three game series against the White Sox beginning tomorrow night. Miguel Vargas is having an incredible breakout season. There's a real chance that Miguel Vargas is the starting third baseman for the American League and Max Munci is the starting third baseman for the National League. In case you haven't been paying attention, the White Sox are thirty six and thirty one. They've won, you know, six of their last ten, and their run differential isn't as large as the Dodgers by a long shot. But they're in a weak division and they're what are they They're a half game ahead of the Guardians in the AL Central now, so they're a good team with a lot of good young players. Let's add out to Julian and Wittier. You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: How you doing, Julian, Hi, thank you so much for taking my call, Dave listen about regarding shoe Heyotani. I think they're just trying to find something to talk about because I don't know how anyone that knows baseball could even diminish how uh one of a kind work. And I texted this to my brothers and sisters the other day. If you cannot watch the game every time Otani pitches and he plays, at least try and catch him, because you're seeing a one of a kind player that comes around. I don't know how often, but this guy, ever better than.
Speaker 2: Will never come around in our lifetime. I am certain of that.
Speaker 9: Yeah, he's like a Beethoven of baseball, so to speak, or pro baseball anyhow. I also want to talk about something that I was watching during the game. Very interesting to me.
Speaker 1: You know, the.
Speaker 9: Automatic uh, the automated uh strike the ball. Yeah, it's turning out to be very interesting because tonight one of the pirates is that bat and he he asked for a challenge and the ball it was a strike, and the next pitch was down the middle and he poked it. Uh, he just cut it into a third base past third base. Yeah, what's interesting is it's changing it literally is changing with the pitcher or the bat or may do next. I think it's way more interesting that you have this because the player can see on the screen the you know, the strike zone, the big square of the strike zone, and he's evaluating now in his mind, is he going to try and hit that corner again or you know what I mean. Yeah, it's truly fascinating, and.
Speaker 2: It's added another dimension of chess play, not just between the two managers, but by the players themselves between the lines, which doesn't happen a lot because the managers not involved in making that decision. They could talk about it, have a team game plan, but it's the players that are strategizing. Now. It's kind of like the pitcher and catcher trying to come up with what pitch to throw. It's in that same vein, but you know, along those same lines. Did you catch Mookie Bets third or fourth at bat after the Pirates were out of challenges, there was a pitch that was would have been a called strike three. It was clear that it was strike three and the Pirates were out of challenges, and Mookie got second life because it was called a ball.
Speaker 9: Wow, it's going to change things, especially the more intense the season, and you know the players that are going to go into the playoffs, it's going to really heavy.
Speaker 2: A Julian, I got a question for you, speaking of all that, Do you think it's Major League Baseball's worst nightmare that there's two outs in Game seven of the World Series and an ABS challenge takes place and the World Series is decided on an ABS overturn? Or do you believe that's their dream come true?
Speaker 9: You know, it could be. Honestly speaking, it could be either way, can't it, Because.
Speaker 2: Look, you seem like a guy that likes to live life on the fence. Julian, Yes, or no. Get off the fence and tell me if you think it's their worst nightmare or a dream come true for the World Series to end on an ABS challenge this year.
Speaker 9: It's their worst nightmare. Let's go that way, all right.
Speaker 2: See, I had to get you off the fence, Julian, I agree. That's not something I would love to see a World Series game decided by an AB overturn or even a challenge play challenge replay. I don't want to see that. That would have been horrible for the Blue Jays to win the World series on a challenge overturn on that play at the plate in the ninth inning with Rojas to Will Smith.
Speaker 9: I remember I remember, Hey, listen if I'm talking to you again before the fourth of July, A very happy fourth of July to you and yours and thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Call back anytime, Julian, and remember don't live life on the fence.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right.
Speaker 2: Juliet, thanks for the phone call. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Hey, you gotta get down to see my friends at Downy Hunday. They had the Mexico South Africa game on in their showroom. My guy Sam at Downey Hyundai has a huge big screen. They got food, they got drinks, they got the World Cup going on every day in that showroom. While you're looking for a brand new great Hyundai at Downey hun Day, and maybe you want to even take a peek at an Ionic nine like the one I drive. Thanks to my friends at Downey Hunday. Freddy Freeman, he's been begging me for a ride in my Ionic nine since I got it from Downy Hunday. I have said no, no, no, Freddy, you got to get twenty five hundred hits before you ride in that Ionic nine. Well, he got it, and I'm sure whenever he goes back to PNC Park he'll always remember that career milestone. Let's head back to Pittsburgh to hear from Freddy Freeman on sports and at LA.
Speaker 11: Overall decent series at the office that we played well, starting, pitching good, so it's some good things to take from it. And there was a hot and muggi linand's.
Speaker 1: Good to get out of here, stepping up for each other.
Speaker 6: And you talk about how the pitching necessarily wasn't there, But does it either feel like more pressure on the offense or just as the collective for you guys to really try to give some more extra un support when you know things aren't going right for the pitching side.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean they just went pretty much for yangs in a row with no runs, So they're allowed to give up a couple of runs here and there. So and that's what team baseball has. Team teams pick each other up. We score a lot of runs, give him some breathing rooms this series. So hopefully next series will be lots of runs and not a lot of giving up.
Speaker 8: As much as he means to the team.
Speaker 2: You get a little nervous when you see show Hey come on of a game.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, that's the best player in the world, so hopefully it's all right. I have no idea anything, So I just saw Santiago go up there, so uh so hopefully he's all right.
Speaker 2: All right. There is Freddy Freeman on sports and at LA In case you missed it, Show Hey. Otani had to leave the game after being on base all four times tonight, including a home run in the third inning, with left knee inflammation. Dave Roberts said after the game that it's more behind the left knee for Otani's hamstring. Either way, I wouldn't play Otani tomorrow. I don't care if it's his front of the left knee the back of the left knee. I'm given the guy a breather. And look, a lot of managers always say this that the player will tell you I'm good to go, I'm good to go, because they want to be in there. But in this type of circumstance, you've got to protect O'tani from himself. So I wouldn't be surprised if Sho Hao Tani is not in the starting lineup tomorrow, and maybe even Freddie Freeman gets a DH day tomorrow to get off his feet. Because the Dodgers are in a rough stretch right here where they just finished playing three games in hot and humid Pittsburgh, and they're gonna play three more in a hotter and even more humid Chicago on the South Side against a very good White Sox team that's leading the AL Central. And then after that, the Dodgers have to come home on Monday night and open up a home stand against the Tampa Bay Rays, who's tied for first place in the AL East. So the Dodgers are facing three really good teams in a matter of nine days here without a day off, and having to fly from the East Coast to Chicago and then back to the West Coast to open up the homestands. So keep that in mind as well. And during this stretch of time, you know, if Otani is deemed he can't make his next start, maybe the Dodgers maintain that six man rotation. I know there is a day off on Thursday, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the next turn. River Ryan may make a spot start if necessary. All right. Tomorrow, the Dodgers are in Chicago to take on Miguel Vargas and the White Sox. Roki Sasaki will try to continue this six start roll that he's on. He's three and three with an ERA of four to zero, three going up against a guy named Anthony k. We'll find out together tomorrow five and one with an ERA of four forty. Our coverage begins tomorrow at three thirty with first pitch from Chicago's South Side at four forty with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. Thanks to calling ye back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald at P and C Park, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. We'll talk to you tomorrow afternoon. Fox Sports Radio is next. See yam hope Hope. Dodgers beat the Pirates eight to six. Gotta give that score. They take two out of three in P and C Park for the first time since twenty twenty one. Have a great rest of your night, see you, Send you away.