Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. They all always come crawling back, you know, when I'm around them every day. They get tired of me and then they start to have vassay withdrawal. And that's what started to happen for Joe Kelly. An incredible picture, incredible career, three times World Series champion, Mariachi Joe legend, and he's texting me, I miss you so much.
Speaker 2: I miss you so much, and so.
Speaker 1: Here he is, though, one and only Mariachi Joe Kelly from Parts Unknown on Dodger Talk. Did I describe that perfectly? Or do you have some issues with anything?
Speaker 3: I said, no, And the ten thousand dollars for thirty minutes is nice. Thank you for that, Toode.
Speaker 2: You are having so much.
Speaker 3: All things, hey, that was our agreement right on contract. You pay me ten grand for thirty minutes and you can say whatever you'd like it.
Speaker 2: It's in the mail.
Speaker 3: It's in the mail, okay, ten thousand paces geez wow?
Speaker 1: Yes, Papa, Hey, I will say this, you didn't forget the little people when you got your ring last year. You did take time out of your family to say hi to me, so I wasn't sure if it was going to go that way.
Speaker 3: No, of course you're uh, you're one of the little people compared to the Dodger well oiled machine, right, But you're not a little person. You have your own niche, right, you have your own fan base. Your people meet you and they think you are what you think of me, Joe Kelly. So people come to meet you and like, oh, David Vasse, you're the best. Listen to your show. You're popular amongst your crowd. But yes, you are a little compared to me saying hi to everyone else was at Dodger Stadium. But you're not little to me.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: I actually was buying my wife a birthday present and the guy that was helping me listens to the show and I said, hey, I'm going to have Joe Kelly on the show tonight. And he said, oh, I have I have his number seventeen jersey. I said, oh, you're the one that still has one. So people still.
Speaker 3: Love you, dude. There's people still with number seventeen jerseys, and those are those are going more for a Pokemon cards nowadays. That og og skin, the Joe Kelly seventeen it's pretty rare. I love that those are one of one. You know, it's kind of like going to Disneyland and you're like one of those pin collectors. You know, it's like one of those those own little things. Are you're going to find the hidden Mickey's. And when you're waiting in line and someone walks around with a Joe Kelly seventeen jersey, you're like, he gets it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: It's not like a guy that's walking around with a brand new Dodger hat that says twenty five World champs. It's a legit Dodger fan if they have a seventeen Kelly jersey, Oh, die.
Speaker 3: Hard, bro, you know they watched You know, they're watching ninety percent of all Dodger.
Speaker 2: Games, no doubt. Hey, since you know.
Speaker 3: You asked you you go up to those fans, you say, Hey, who the frick do you think we should cut? Or who the hell do you think we should trade? They'll give you a right they'll give you a straight answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you go up to a guy with a brand new hat, they'll just talk about otani.
Speaker 3: Guy with a brand new Kyle Tucker jersey have no idea? Well, yeah, what I like the Dodgers. Yeah, we should trade nobody.
Speaker 1: Since you're not playing baseball anymore. How many times have you been to Disneyland in the last couple of years?
Speaker 3: Once? Bro?
Speaker 2: What your years?
Speaker 3: Years?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Two years, last two years, dude.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you just heard what I said like five minutes ago about you know, you being like the little person. But if I go to Disneyland, it's not like I could just walk around there pretty easily, you know what I mean. So every time I go to Disneyland, I'll waste money which I should put in my kids saving the account. But I'll buy I'll buy the plaids, you know what I mean. I'll buy the VP tour, even if it's just like four of us, just so we feel like do everything and you know, get in and out. And I mean I'm only doing that once a year.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's worth it.
Speaker 3: We have passes. Yeah, Me and Ashley used to live in Anaheim actually probably like three minutes Fromain in the Stadium and then like six minutes from Disneyland, like on a bicycle. Like my first couple of years in the league. We lived right and sorry ride in Anaheim and we were we were members and This is more COVID because COVID kind of changing everything where they got rid of like the annual pass holder type thing, like they're kind of bringing it back.
Speaker 2: But you are a Disney nerd.
Speaker 3: Dude, I'm not a Disney nerd. I just like free, like like entertainment, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It's not free? Are you? Are you a member of a Club thirty three? Are you a club? Are you a Club thirty three member? No?
Speaker 3: But I've been a few times with my dad, his his childhood best friends, the couple of remembers.
Speaker 1: Wow, mooching off a Club thirty three member? Very Joe Kelly like.
Speaker 3: Hey, I would, I would. Uh, I'm not going to bash Club thirty three because you know I might go there one time.
Speaker 2: Are you on the list before before.
Speaker 3: Being a member of Club thirty three? The food is no better than like, you know, tacos, lost trolos, you know what I mean. But I mean that's firing. But the food is not great.
Speaker 2: All right, So we're not missing out too much.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no no, But it's cool just to say you're getting in there, all right.
Speaker 1: I love it. Joe Kelly is our guest. If you need any advice on how to navigate Disneyland. He's your guy, but you're the perfect guy to have on the show with all these people overreacting again because the Dodgers are trying to win. I thought that was the point of professional sports. What have you made about all these people saying there's gonna be a lockout. Now the Dodgers are are playing unfairly, nobody else has a chance. Since you're the guy that is a best selling author with an incredible book, a damn near perfect game, reclaiming America's pastime, what do you make of all this?
Speaker 3: I love it. I love when people are mad and sad. There's nothing I'm not a very happy guy. You could ask my wife. But what makes me happy is other people bitching and complaining, you know what I mean, God, it makes me feel so good. I don't even play, but I just like to stir the pot and see all the animosity. It's wonderful. I think it's great for the game of baseball. There's no way it's gonna be fixed. I don't care about people saying there's a lockout. There's a lockout last time, guys, You know what I mean, There's gonna be a lockout. There's always gonna be a lockout eventually for to see who you know, how long it goes, that is to be seen, obviously. But I mean, these guys were all free agents. It's it's it's not something that's very hard to do, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't understand what Joe Kelly unfiltered on Dodger talk. So okay, I'm a big believer that what the Dodgers have done is just make baseball more relevant, having the Dodgers and Yankees in the World Series, having that epic World Series. How can anybody say the Dodgers are bad for baseball? The Dodgers being this good is great for baseball.
Speaker 3: Of course, it's great for baseball. You know, there's any given day I could go on, you know, someone giving an interview or I mean, you got NBA analysts, you know, talking about Dodgers in baseball. You got NFL reporters talking Dodgers and talking baseball, you know what I mean. You got comedians getting mad with the effected Dodgers signing baseball like you're doing something right in as an owner and as a league. If you could get all these people who didn't really care about baseball now talking about it as a top of conversation. You know, that's just good pubs. It's good pub and it's gonna open a lot of eyes to like the new the new CBA. That's gonna be fun. There's gona be people giving their input and following along, you know, day by day on this kind of thing that you know, don't really watch sports.
Speaker 1: Joe Kelly is our guest who did not announce his retirement, just said he's not going to play baseball anymore.
Speaker 2: Uh, just to let.
Speaker 1: You know, you still have your mural at Dodger Stadium up on the reserve level. Maybe that'll change after this interview, but you still got it up there right now. And I was just wondering the reaction that you got when you start to say these things that you're not pitching anymore, you're not retiring.
Speaker 2: Uh what what did it? Did it trigger anything inside of you?
Speaker 1: The reaction you got from fans in Saint Louis, Boston and La.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think it.
Speaker 2: You were really celebrated. It was like a victory tour last week.
Speaker 3: I know, but I don't. I'm not aware of that. That's see, that's what's the good thing about having no social media or nothing.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why. Maybe that's why you're.
Speaker 3: Sad all the time. I'm not sad all the time. I'm very contented. Brother. Uh maybe if I said I retired, though, they'd rip that mural down. No, No, I feel like I ain't gonna say I'm not playing. They'll keep it. Yes, I think that there's no way they take it down. You know what this is why, because ever since that mural has been up, the Dodgers have one World Series. You take it down, you're gonna lose World Series. They're gonna drinx it.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, you're saying that's the lucky charm.
Speaker 3: I mean, you take that mural down. Let's see if they win the World Series.
Speaker 1: I love it. I want you man, I love that. I hope you loan your Maadiachi jacket to one of the guys when they get their rings this year, when they go out to the line and they, uh.
Speaker 3: One, who do you think should wear it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I think skinny enough, because dude, when I threw that first picture was so tight on me. I guess I'm like one ninety five now I played it. I played at like one eighty five and my arms are so yoke, dude, I couldn't even I bounce the ball. I couldn't lose my arm. It's so tight.
Speaker 2: You're saying you're so.
Speaker 3: Jackinny enough to wear that thing.
Speaker 2: You're ain't your swool patrol?
Speaker 3: Now, Oh, bro, I'm stronger, you know the you know the joke man Bradford of the best Shapeer of Life. I'm way stronger than when I played. Wow, if there's a fist fight, there's like now now I could do you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like, so Joe Kelly fight club, walk up on me.
Speaker 3: Like I'm way more prepared than when I was playing baseball.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think Yama, Moto or Mookie would fit into that jacket.
Speaker 3: Oh, Mookie Will obviously, Yama would obviously. That's it. We only have two.
Speaker 1: I mean, who else, Like Barnes isn't on the t won't be there? I would say, Barnes.
Speaker 3: What about he wouldn't.
Speaker 2: Will Will Will Smith?
Speaker 3: Yeah too strong? Yeah. Ama is a good, good call, bro.
Speaker 1: He's a legend already. You know him and Walker Buehler are legends forever due.
Speaker 2: We should pitch it to him.
Speaker 3: I would like Yama do it. Yeah, pitch to him. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: All right, here's another question for you.
Speaker 1: Did you see Freddie Freeman at the UH at the party after they won the World Series do the Worm? What did you think about his worm skills? I?
Speaker 3: I did it. It went, it went across.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I figured I was watching Maybor's with a spectrum like a licker game or something. Yeah, but yeah, I did see. I think it's I think it's a solid worm.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, hey, uh, this is part one of our five part series.
Speaker 3: So unlike your I got to earn that ten grand right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So unlike your podcast that could go on and on, this is a live show, so we got to uh, we gotta end it here.
Speaker 2: But let's let's do this again soon. Maybe you'll come in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, take people, have some people call in because I know, I know, I've your producer, and they kind of went behind your back and told me that I could have your show whenever I said yes, So people call in. Let me know if you want me to take over a Vasse show. We can still have him. He could be like a you know, maybe a regular, have a couple of appearances. But let me know if you want me to run dodge, you talk, get back to me. Get on the phones, dial in JK or DV.
Speaker 2: Wow, JK. We're going to the initials route.
Speaker 3: Now, huh yes, sir?
Speaker 1: All right, maybe uh do you? Maybe you could find your way to Burbank. You just gotta get over the dirt roads and in Riverside and Rancho and find your way to the one thirty four.
Speaker 3: I know where it's at.
Speaker 2: Bro All right, let's.
Speaker 1: Make it happen before spring training or in spring training. We'll take some calls together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll be out there in spring training. We got a tournament. Actually, we're coming to bring the team to maybe the practice field and see what's going on.
Speaker 1: All right, sounds good. Thanks a lot for coming on and congratulations on, you know, just being a guy that lives at home and mooches off other people and Club thirty three and where's his mickey ears all over the streets of Riverside.
Speaker 3: I feel like a normal American now, Thanks,