Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. He's the man in demand. That's the manager of the Dodgers, the managers of the National League, and it all presented by Downy Hundai. That's the one and only Dave Roberts. Dave, thanks a lot for the time and officially at the halfway point.
Speaker 2: Yes we're here.
Speaker 3: You know it certainly goes doesn't go without a lot of mishaps and injuries, as it always does with Dodger Baseball, but you know what, we've got the best recking ol of baseball. I'm excited for our players to be a part of the Midsummer Classic. For me to be able to address the superstars again in the Citizens Big Clubhouse is an honor for me, and just to be around the game's best. So yeah, you'd like to be on a beach for four days. But you know, knowing that you went to the World Series the year prior to then have the opportunity to manage you also our team something special.
Speaker 1: What is the message you give the All Stars?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 3: Every year it's different. I remember one year I had Reggie Smith speak, another year I had Albert Poohle speak. I'm not sure. I obviously speak myself, and then I kind of pull a player to give them some relatability for the room. But I think for me it's gratitude. I think that you know, some guys like Freddie, for example, this is his tenth, it might be his last, you never know. And there's some guys that it's their first and so and it can be fleeting. So I think for me is for players to sort of be in the grind and what they do and try to perform every day, You've still got to take a step back to enjoy some of the fruits. And so that's part of the message, and just the respect for the game. And you know, there's a lot of people that come a long way that support all of us and watch us every single night, and just be mindful of stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Manager Dave Roberts is our guest. He'll be there in Philadelphia leading the National League.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: There's been a lot of talk about Justin Roeblae. He's become somewhat of a sympathetic figure for not being named to the All Star team. Yet, do you still believe the doors open for that possibility?
Speaker 3: I hope so you know, Major League Baseball has a committee to kind of go through certainly the backfill of players on the position player side, the pitching, and there's a lot of pitchers that will pitch on Saturday Sunday that are not available, and Justin would be available.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of my plea to them.
Speaker 3: And also with Tanner Scott, so I think he's had a tremendous first half. So obviously there's a little bias lens from me, but I also think that both those guys are deserving. So my fingers are crossed. And you know, Justin's had a tremendous first half and so won ten games, and ere is stellar and he's just such a good guy, So I really want it for him.
Speaker 1: When you talk about confidence and swagger, you usually talk about the guys that have won cy Young's won championships. He was such a big part of what you did in Toronto last year. What is it about him that he has so much confidence in himself?
Speaker 2: You know, that's a great question.
Speaker 3: I think as I think through that question, I think real confidence comes from people that know who they are, they really do, and they're comfortable being who they are. So I think that Justin knows who he is as a person. He knows who he is as a pitcher, and I think that's where the confidence comes from, because I think that people that are indecisive, unsure, not confident in who they are, don't know who they are. That's hard to find confidence. Then it's more manufactured. But I think Robo really knows who he is.
Speaker 1: That's interesting because even in life, when you're trying to be somebody that you're not, it really comes through.
Speaker 2: It does.
Speaker 3: It does, and so I think that the people that know and also in sports, it manifests itself when it gets hot, when moments get pressurized and you don't have that confidence, then you panic, the games beats up, you fold, you run from it. Whereas you know, the people that know that they're not afraid to fail, they know what their strengths are, their weaknesses. Those are the people that I try to identify because when the postseason goes around, I've said it to you many times, the postseason when you've been on people all.
Speaker 1: Right, so speaking to people and guys that you bet on and guys that believe in themselves. Where does Dalton Rushing fall on that spectrum of being himself.
Speaker 3: So Dalton, So he's a different in a different category in the sense that he is a fiery guy. He's a tough competitor. He expects a lot of himself. There's really no soft edges with him. But in the catching position, he's got to evolve and you've got to have that serve and mentality, and that's something that for me, I'm trying to get him to understand that your job number one is not to get hits. It's tough because you expect to get hits and you are a hitting catcher, but your job is to serve the pitchers. And you've got to be able to separate the catching game calling from the hitting, and you know, the emotional part of it. You've got to sometimes temper because you don't want your pitchers thinking you care more about your bat than the fingers.
Speaker 2: So Dalton is growing.
Speaker 3: He definitely is a confident player, knows he's talented. But I think for him, there still needs to be a finishing school that has to happen.
Speaker 1: Where is the learning curve. Do you feel like the talks that you've had with him, his teammates have had with him, do you feel like there's a breakthrough in some ways.
Speaker 2: I do. I do.
Speaker 3: I think that, you know, even in the last few weeks, you haven't seen as many outbursts that are caught on the broadcast and in the dugout, And I think that you know myself, Brent Walker a mental performance guy. The players and other coaches are pouring in in Bob Garren and so I think, you know, with this opportunity, with Will being down, this is a crash course for Dalton, which he's embraced and I think with that he's gotten better every game and offensively he's been fantastic.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Will Smith, obviously he's been down now for over a month with the neck issue. Where is that at? And are you confident that at some point in the near future after the All Star break you could have him back?
Speaker 2: Where is he at?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what, he's kind of he's moving around, playing catch, he's swinging the bat, but it just really hasn't got over the hump as far as being able to move forward. So it's certainly obviously going to be after the break, and for me, I just don't see it happening anytime before August, and it could be further along. I think the main thing for us is we've missed a lot of time. We just need to get Will back healthy, feeling good, get the at bats under room, and then whenever that day is, it is without any expectation.
Speaker 1: Speaking of managing players, not only Will Smith, but Show Hail Tani, you guys did such a great job last year ramping him up, managing his innings in that respect, Do you feel like there's a chance to find some middle ground in the second half where you manage the innings in each individual start.
Speaker 3: I think so, And I think with Show Hey, it's got to be fluid. You can't just be emboldened too, you know, one way of beholden to, one way of doing something. You know, it's a two way player, very physical, very taxing. So when he's going six innings, seven innings and then hitting, I do think that we've given him a lot more off days on the D eight side, which I'll continue to do, and then at that point in time, you know, we'll see how it goes. And then you still got to manage a game when he's pitching for the game itself, and so I can't tell you if it's going to be five innings. I don't want to say it's going to be six every time, because if he's efficient and he feels good, then we're going to keep running him out there. But he is definitely front of mine as far as his health.
Speaker 1: Is it fair to say you can't fluctuate when he starts because that affects the rest of your pitch and the rotation. It can't be once every week and then once every ten days. Is that accurate as far as the ripple effect it may have on other guys, You.
Speaker 2: Know what, It's somewhat accurate.
Speaker 3: But I do think that because he's such a unique player that we've got to be able to read and react. And it's not a day before situation, But I do think if there's a few days before it doesn't feel good, we can plug someone in there.
Speaker 2: And we've done that.
Speaker 3: We did that in Sacramento to give him an extra extra couple days, and so whatever is best for him, we're willing to do. And the great thing about our guys is that they're on board with it, and so we have the depth, we have the lead in the in the in the division that we can kind of do things for the best interest of Showy and all of our players.
Speaker 1: Before I let Dave Roberts go leading the National League this year, three time World Series winning manager. You have a big lead, Like you said, do you feel like this team understanding how to win helps manage this big lead and not allow them to exhale before the postseason starts.
Speaker 3: I do you know, we lost a game earlier this week, you know where we sort of gave it away.
Speaker 2: We don't do that very often. We catch the ball.
Speaker 3: We're pretty good fundamentally, and a lot of teams that we play find ways to lose, and conversely, we do a good job of finding ways to win, and we know how to stack wins regardless of who's healthy, who's not, playing on the road, playing at home, day game after night game, it doesn't matter. So I think that that's probably our biggest superpowers. We just know how to win, and that comes with winning, and that also comes with feeling the pain of losing with there's a lot of guys in this clubhouse that lost in you know, twenty two, twenty three and don't want to revisit that feeling.
Speaker 1: That's a great point because we always just talk about experienced teams. There's a lot of experienced teams but teams that don't know how to win and you guys know how to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's a there's.
Speaker 3: A you know, a DNA, a pedigree that is real. It's not tangible, it's not quantifiable, but you know, you can see players out there that you don't want them in a big spot. As far as other opposition, there's players that you want to the ball to hit to them or don't or you want it bad or pitching in So I think for me, as we kind of get through the second half, just identifying, as I said earlier, those guys that can handle the smoke and can have that confidence and know because in the postseason, as we all know, you just never know where that game is going to land, on who it's going to land, on what big moment, And to get as many guys ready for that unpredictable moment is everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a guy like Miguel Rojas last year, Dave, thanks a lot for the time, Enjoy the All Star Game. Don't forget the little people in the second half day.
Speaker 2: They've all tried. I'll try to remember you man,