Speaker 1: Do you want to be in a Mafican Yeah, I am sick for the pup baby, sick for the one o'clock today women go eh Men beat Sweden to one in overtime. Fantastic, fantastic. All right, Scott's throwing back with you. Hope you're doing well. Back half of the week upon us here on this Thursday morning. If you have a kid, maybe a grandkid, maybe a nephew and niece, they play high school sports in Ohio, a new law could block them from making money off their talent. So lawmakers are working on legislation to prevent Ohio high school student athletes from earning name, image, likeness NIL compensation. Some of the key points real quick here Ohio, we are one of forty five states that allows some form of high school NIL. And the way the new proposal would work if passed in the law is a student earning compensation from an NIL deal would lose eligibility in that specific sport, but remain eligible another. So if you're a multi sport athlete, if I don't know, you get some of NIL endorsement for football, you're no longer eligible for playing that sport. We had testimony from Steve Speck, who is a coach at Dea Xavier, and Jonathan Cooper, superintendent Mason High School, testifying as proposed to the bill, they're concerned about pay to play, the culture, and also team cohesion. Joining the show is the co sponsor of this piece of legislation, That would be the esteemed Representative Adam Byrd out of New Richmond this morning on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: How are you, Sonny.
Speaker 3: It's great to be with you. We've had a busy week in Columbus this week, but it's an honor to serve the people of southern Ohio.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I look at this, and you know, I'm more at libertarian, so I'll disagree somewhat. I push back on this, but the Ohio High School Athletical Associates said, like, I think it's four hundred and forty seven members schools already voted for Nile with guardrails, so why override that decision the schools made themselves.
Speaker 3: Well that's a great point, but if you take a look deeper at the number, Sony, about fifty five percent of the schools voted yes, about forty five percent of the schools voted no or abstained, and I have it on good authority with conversations that many people that voted guests didn't really want to. They held their nose and they did it because OHSAA was asking them to, and they were OHSAA is asking them to do this because of one judge in Franklin County that issued a temporary restraining order on a judgment on a kid from Dayton. So you know, it's I don't think that we should be sitting around making making decisions of this importance based on what one judge in Franklin County says.
Speaker 1: Okay, so I guess the current flame. Well, let me back up a second. We're one of forty five states that allow nil, some almost the entire country at this point. Are you concerned at all this with our student athletes at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to recruiting and visibility compared to other states.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good point on that, And I have two points on that. Number One, when you look at and I've done the research from the National Association of State Legislatures and those states that are allowing it, overwhelmingly, they are doing it because the athletic governing body has made that decision and not their state legislator. So they stayed out of it. And I think that's a problem, and and you know it's it. I think that we use that sometimes to make an argument Forlorida. And then secondly, I've spoken to Ohio State University athletic director and they don't care about this. They don't think it hurts their recruiting. I suspect University of Cincinnati and Xavier think the same thing because they're international recruiters, they're national recruiters. They get five star recruits from California, Florida, Texas all the time. So if a if a kid were to leave the state of Ohio as a high school athlete to earn nil money elsewhere, Ohio State would still be able to recruit them and get them back here.
Speaker 1: Gotcha? Do they go? What does getting it right look like? I mean, it is a total ban really necessary on this, I mean, and as it also as it tended to be in permanent. Is this just a pause while a more refined policies developed? And so what's the timeline? There A lot of elements to that question.
Speaker 3: Go ahead for sure, and so as far as the timeline of this bill goes, you know, We had a proponent testimony this week in Columbus. Next week we'll hopefully I've gotten permission from the chair of the committee to have a few more proponent testimonies. But there'll also be opportunity next week for opponents of the bills to come and testify. And so, you know, my goal would be to have this in place for next school year. And as you know, whenever the governor signed the bill, it doesn't become law for ninety days. So I've got to get this done and all the way to the Governor's desk by June in order to get it done by next school year. So that's a tough timeline. It's a big lift, and I realized that. And also as far as the bill goes, can it be changed. Of course, it can be changed as part of the legislative process. Amendments happen all of the time, so we'll see how that goes, okay.
Speaker 1: But this would be an outright ban on all of it too. And we've talked to past about this representative bird you know, the I guess critics and I'm on this side it as a as a student, don't you have a right You're really you're basically overing a overwriting a right students already legally have. You're rolling back an opportunity for minors to earn income if you're really really good. I don't know if you're an artist, if you're a musician. If you are, I don't name a scale a kid has, if you can monetize that, why just drawn on exception for sports as opposed to other ways or kids to earn money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so there's there's a lot of there's a lot of issues here. And that's always a good question that you asked me on this smy and and so you know already you've got parents and students who are yelling at the coach demanding more time. You're you're you're costing my kid a scholarship because you're not playing them. Well, now they're going to add to that, you're costing my kid an nil deal because you're not putting my kid in the game. And uh, and so there's all clients that there's going to be all kinds of inequality and unfairantage to the rich school versus the poor school who has you know, the businesses and wealthy alumni that can afford to give an il deals you're going to have inequality when it comes to male female. We've seen that already at the college level. You've got the star versus the average kid. And we're going to give the the quarterback a big deal. Why the offensive lineman protecting yet nothing? And and then how about this mony. I talked yesterday in Columbus to a sports agent, a licensed sports agent in Ohio. These unscrupulous supports agents that are not licensed are already taking advantage of students by signing them to twenty percent deals that give the agent twenty percent of the nil money. So these kids are already going to get are already getting exploited by unscrupulous people.
Speaker 1: Well, how is someone charging the sea for their services exploiting them? I mean I could I can say the same thing about kids who work and have to pay taxes. I might have to now grated they don't, but I guess hire a tax professional because I don't know why I do. It isn't the same. You know, it's a service you have, it's you're taking a percentage of their income, which is well, you know, welcome to the real world. That's how I would say. A lot of this is like, well that's the real world working there that you know, some people are born with a skiller set and they get elevated above other people have to work on scrap. That's part of it, right.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not talking about the fact that they get a cut. I'm talking about the percentage twenty percent. Ask Joe Burrow what he thinks about twenty percent for his agent. Uh, there's no way. NFL agents don't charge that much. It's like three or five percent. Sure, twenty percent is an outrageously exploitive amount for these sharky kinds of people that are out there hovering around kids.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, if that's the case, so why not just regulate it like you do other industries. You know, there's if you think, if you think twenty percent is confiscatory, and I mean trial attorneys which Adam, you're surrounded by them, legislature, they get thirty three percent? Is that fair?
Speaker 3: I see your point. I I you know, I just I gave you reasons before why I think that that this is not that the best for kids. Uh, they're going to be exploited. And how about kids that will probably be exploited by their own parents on this money? You know, I got your you. Let's say I took you to the game. I'm going to siphon off some of this. You know, we have child labor laws in America for a reason because kids have been exploited for years, and I think they're going to get exploited in this way too.
Speaker 1: If a I don't know. Okay, So let's not talk about what you talk about parents exploiting kids for financial gain. There are kids who work on farms or kids who work in restaurants. What's the difference.
Speaker 3: Well, uh, you know that's part of part of the family heritage for sure. And uh, this is this is totally different. We're talking about destroying You've seen the direction that College Nil has taken that that game, and it is moving in the wrong direction. And we should learn from the mistakes of the past. And you know when you see things like the University of Cincinnati quarterback leaving Cincinnati to go to Texas Tech, not because of a certain program or better educational opportunity, but so that he can get a five and a half million dollar deal, which is, by the way, is more than Shaudur standards is going to make in its entire five years old doubt right with the Browns.
Speaker 1: Well, God bless America. If you can get that money, get that money, get that paper. I'm one hundred percent behind that. If you have a skill that no one else has and you can make money off it, it's your name, it's your image, of your likeness. I just don't see why that. You know, the argument in God Bless Them. I know Steve Speck at Saint x I was talking about this in this testimony that it may ruin team cohesion and a pay to play culture. But guess what that's outside that. I think that horse has already left the barn. Representative Adam Bird out of New Richmond in that parents are the ones responsible this because I mean, we we train. You know, look at you. You know, if you're a dad, you want your kid to be an next athlete, the next Joe Burrow, something like that. And then there's kids that want to be the next Joe Burr, probably more than dad wants them to be. They're gonna invest money. If you have the money in trainers, you're gonna have in coaches and clinics and all these things. And you know, if you're a kid who doesn't have the means, you can't if for your family can't afford that. Yet at the same time, it's it's like this whole thing is driven by that culture. The sports clude how the people who are testified against it get paid public money and bard to create these programs that cause that disparity in the first place. I mean, their whole job is basically to arrange athletics, which used to be a way for kids to be engaged in school and maybe get out of the house and have an activity. And now it's you know, every parent thinks their kid is the next Joe Burrow or Lebron James, and that we know that to be the case, but you can't tell mom or dad that they have travel teams and everything else. Parents have created this culture because they've emphasized that that's really important in their lives.
Speaker 3: Well, again, we go back to the reason why these programs exist, why we spend public money on providing these programs. You mentioned the pay for coaches, which by the way, is not that much. Most coaches are getting paid about two dollars an hour, And so we do that because it's an extension of the classroom. We want to teach them teamworking character and discipline and communication and leadership and all of these things, fitness and and so that's the reason it's an extension of the classroom. It takes you a better employee in the future, a better leader in the future, and that's the reason why we do that. And we have to protect the amateur status of these of these things. And if you want to go make money off of your your skills, then go to college a year early and earn innil money, go to the Olympics, go to a sports a professional sports league. And so I think it's really important that we protect you.
Speaker 1: I guess I just don't understand how that underminds all this because, as I said, you know, you have kids from different economic backgrounds, kids that the haves and have nots, and that that's that's got a source attention among kids as well. I think that's just part of well society, that's just part of assimilation to the society in it.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, did you play on a football or basketball team?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No football, no basketball. I was baseball, hockey and basically just staying around by myself.
Speaker 3: Well there you go. I mean, so you have played on some team sports and you're going to create problems within that locker room. But when you had the star versus the average player, the average play I mean, football is the greatest team sport ever imagine. And of course I would put hockey in there too, But but you're going to you're going to create problems in that locker room. You're going to dissolve team cohesion. It's going to be a mess. You're going to have kids who were playing time so that I can get.
Speaker 1: But don't you have that? But don't you have that now we're kids? Don't you have that?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: Where kids are going for college scholarships. I mean, there are kids who are talented or are going to go on and play, and there's kids who are just on a bench warmers are crying out a lot like me. So I'm like, well, you're ready. That conflict's already built in, it's already there.
Speaker 3: And now you're going to make it worse. And so, yes, there are there are kids who want to play, they want an opportunity, and now you're going to be blaming the coach. Uh And who's going to want to do that, sloany, who's going to want to go put up with that crap? You're already yelling at me because your kid's not that good. But yet you're blaming me, and now you're blaming me that your kid's not getting in IL money.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, but again that's a culture parents helped create, schools leaned into it as well. Let's say it may make it worse, but them are the rules, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Got to protect amateur system.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I think amateurism has gone out the window early. I mean everything has. Everything's for sale now these days. And I think also too. You know, private schools, public schools already on an even footing and recruiting. Does this address that disparity because you know they're schools in the listening area. We know that they wind up going in hitting kids from across the country to come to school there. They take care of mom and dad with jobs whatever it might be. And you know that's that's also exploitable, exploitative. Does it address that?
Speaker 3: Are you talking about high school kids? I'm talking about high school or college?
Speaker 1: I'm talking about how I'm talking about high school?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that should not be happening. It is, and it's exactly right, that's what I'm talking about here. They're not allowed to do it, but yet they're doing it. Anyway. And so do you think that OHSAA, who's supposed to be governing the recruiting or monitoring the fact that recruiting is not supposed to happen, you think they're going to be able to now add nil and add that into their ability to police. I just don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't either. But it's like prohibition. We weren't able to enforce prohibition. Any time we ban something for a moral cause, and it's you know, you're just gonna have more black market. You're gonna make the problem worse. It's going to be you know, you think the twenty percent from an agent's kind of CD, imagine the backdoor deals that are going to get done that are getting done now or even prior to this whole thing. Isn't it going to make it worse?
Speaker 3: No? No, we're trying to protect what we have. And if you're a student who is so talented, uh okay, I'm okay if you go to another state and apparently Ohio State University is okay with it too because they know they can still recruit you back. And uh, you know, we're trying to protect what has been an awesome learning opportunity and growth opportunity. You know, schools are about a producing a workforce for business, the business community, growing kids so that they can be great and contributing members of our society here in America. And you're going to create winners and losers. You're going they're going to view it as a job, and you're going to create more inequality and uh and and how about this leading uh exploitation of kids who shouldn't really even be allowed. They're not legally allowed to sign a contract without their parents, and this is this is a problem.
Speaker 1: All the parents would be the stewards of that. Again, you know, we we we should be allowed to make we no one's got the layers we open the show up with. No one really has the instruction to be the perfect parent. So I don't know if mom and dad are supervising. I guess I don't have a problem with that. I got to leave it at that. He is representative ad and Berta new Richmond always enjoy the conversation in the in the debate over this, and I know you're open mind enough to go, well, I want to hear from student athletes. I want to hear from other people besides those who are against us. As well, and then formulate good legislation for the people, which I love. Ad I'm all the best. Thanks for jumping on this morning. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks, and I also want to throw a shout out to my joint sponsor with me on this bill, Mike Odioso from Green Township on the west side of Hamilton County. He's doing a great job with this bill. And we're going to have opponent testimony in Columbus next week, Fanny, so we'll see who shows up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, well let's follow up after that. See maybe I don't know, maybe it cause you to rethink some positions or reinforce them. So I know you, you know you want to get it right. I appreciate that about you. Thanks again, buddy.
Speaker 3: It might also cause might also cause you to rethink.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm you know what, I I wanted to change my opinion in my mind. Absolutely, give me some evidence is to why it's so bad we need to do this, and yeah, sure I'm open my enough to do it. So it's awesome. I appreciate me. Thanks again. All Right, we gotta get a news update. I want to talk about this more after the break here and maybe you don't have a dog in the hunt with your kid, or maybe you did at one point, or you know, it's such a bularizing issue. I just I guess I got some pushback, and I'll start with this, the idea that this destroys team cohesion. Didn't have time to really pick that apart, but I will after the break, and we'll get your calls and thoughts about this. Whether you should kids and their families be allowed to make these financial decisions engage in a contract in which they're compensated for the name, image and likeness in high school sports. Simple question, but a complex issue. We'll get your calls in afternoons on seven hundred WW Welcome to it, Scott's loan here with you on seven hundred W LW just had and my thanks to Representative Adam Bird out of New Richmond, Ohio lawmaker who is co sponsoring legislation that would block kids from making money off their talent when it comes to name, image and likeness. So it's a very very small person. Well, a lot of kids play sports, but a very small percentage of those kids not only go on to college, but even a smaller population are going to wind up getting money. So this really affects very very few people not to make a big deal out of this thing. But I know the libertarian side of me is so dead set against this.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: One of the things that was testified on the part of the coach at Saint X and also the superintendent Mason City Schools were that this, if you allow kids to take money for their namage and the likeness, that it is going to destroy team cohesion. And I just I couldn't stress more in my opinion that logic does not hold up. Doesn't team cohesion already breakdown over playing time, coaching decisions, personality conflicts. Yeah, you could go, well, pay it's just going to make it worse, okay, but you if that's the construct already, basically you're punishing someone because they have I think they were having a god given ability to dribble a basketball or throw a football. You know, if one player lands I don't know, a local car dealership deal, does that How does that really destroy the locker room more than the star player getting on the playing time or the coaches sew on or whoever it might be your favorite, which happens now. And on top of that, as I said, some players already have more. You you know, if your folks have money, you're gonna have better equipment, You're gonna have private trainers, you're gonna have showcases, you can go to Nannile doesn't create inequality in high school sports. Moms and dads do, and the nature of society does. It doesn't make inequality, It just makes it more visible, I guess. And the idea is that, well, okay, if you want to do that, just go to college. Just declare early, go to college early. All right, Well, if it's so back, college already proves as manageable.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 1: Granted, there are a lot of warts. There's a lot of problems, but anytime you initiate something new and there's there's a change, there's gonna be problems with it. I'm not denying that it's if not saying it's perfect, but it proves it's manageable. College teams have massive anile disparities between players and they still win championships, they still build culture, they still develop leaders. There's still going to be walk ons that don't even get a scholarship, and yet there's guys getting paid. So yeah, you can it's being done now. I think the real cohesion killer in my opinion, and maybe if you're no you played high school sports or college sports for that matter. U five three, seven, four nine, eight hundred the Big One talk back via the iHeartRadio. If you're listen to the stream right now, just hit that record button send me a message that the real cohesion killer coaches an administrator, so ones that just testified saying this is a bad idea. They treat student athletes as unpaid assets. Schools profit from their performance. That that's the cohesion problem right there, isn't it. If you say, hey, you can't make money off your nameagine license and you are, let's face, at the top of the town, especially in you know, maybe smaller communities, especially because you are literally the biggest star in the city and you're sixteen seventeen years old, that's okay if you're going to look at that person and go, wow, I'm jealous, and it's unfair they get the playing time at all recognition. It's the old it's the old construct about you know, the head of the cheerleading squad and the captain of the football team. Day right, mister and missus most popular. Yeah, the doors are going to open for you're gonna get treated differently. There's parents, there's teachers, there's people, there's teammates that are going to if you're the superstar, maybe they want to hang around you that someday you go, hey, you know I used to put you know, you know Joe Burrow. Yeah, I played with him in high school. He's on my team. Oh cool, Well, kids want to be around that, and I guess too. The flip side of this is a kid who lands in nil deal becomes more invested and more visible and more accountable for a public brand. And I think that can strengthen commitment to a team, not weaken it. Like you can get stuff done if you have that kind of juice, which is good for all your team mates. I think, really what we have here, and once again it's the hierarchical society. You know, the cohesion argument is going to stroy a team collesion. To me, it's really about control. So who loses control when athletes gain economic agency when they have agency? Well, the schools do, the system does, the coaches do, And you know, we don't like that. But the idea that it destroys team cohesion, I just I don't buy that and you know, all due respect to those who testify because they are professionals in the field. But tell me I'm wrong. It's it's about control. It's not about trying to protect team integrity. My god. You know it's a high school volleyball team or you know football, and you know we live or die by sports. Sure, but that's that's something that we created. Is consumers. That's not the case. If the kid can profit from that, they should profit from it because we created the whole environment the allowed that to happen. It's funny because the schools are going to put you know, Mason High School. My kids went there, and you know, you've got fireworks, you've got home and away uniforms. It's a big deal because it's a big school. But you're the ones who created that environment where it's ultra competitive and you know you want to be perfect and win all your games and okay, well this is just an extension of what it is you want in the first place. It gives you out if you can hang I guarantee. You know, you drive by high school and they've got the banners of the senior baseball players up, basketball players football, right like if if Joe Burrow went to your high school. If Lebron Lebron James High School an accurate I guarantee you they've got all sorts of things saying, hey, Lebron went to school here. Isn't that exploiting the name image of the likeness of the same person you want to prevent from exploiting their image and likeness. It's it's it's a laughable argument. In Centerville, Denny first up on the show on seven hundred w W high been.
Speaker 7: That's going this morning?
Speaker 1: What's up?
Speaker 7: Well on the nil for high school? I think you have to look at what it's done in the college level, especially football. You know, every Saturday afternoon when you're watching the game, you hear about, well, this quarterback here this year, but last year he was at this college the year before that year college. So that's that's the that's the part of problem is college it's tough I think for for coaches. I think it's tough for everybody.
Speaker 3: Uh N.
Speaker 8: I l.
Speaker 7: Comes down to the fact when you put that in kids Weston is not at the school, But how much money can I make and how much time do I get to play? And then the other problem is going from one school to the other, which somebody brought up about the kid in date Wayne High School that started.
Speaker 3: This with suit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Well, now he.
Speaker 7: Is going up to Big Walnut, which is North US And the reason he's going there is he's one hundred miles away from Wayne, so he does not have to sit out the last half of the season and not participate in postseason games because he's that far away, right, And now they're just more money. Now you can take that locally. Let's say you've got a kid who's a great linebacker at Caft High School, great linebacker, he's a freshman, and you've got you people.
Speaker 1: With money at Edwin Hills, yep.
Speaker 7: And they approach that family and say, look, why don't you come out here. We'll put you up in an apartment. We'll pay you big bucks right there, yep.
Speaker 1: And that's just and it's going on right now. I mean, that's been going on for a long time. That happens here in Cincinnati, it happens in Dayton, it happens all over the country. It's happening right now.
Speaker 7: But when but when that is, when that is discovered, then there's penalties to pay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know what they don't. Here's the thing. You could find that at all these PURTI you could find that. But my question is, I right, well, how hard are you looking? I don't think they're looking that hard any because it upsets the system. They haven't played.
Speaker 7: Oh Ohio High School is a skeletal crew up there. I mean, they don't.
Speaker 1: Why do you think that is? They don't. They don't when I'm looking at the rocks. They don't want to. You know, you've got your member schools. You don't want to. You don't want to piss people off. I mean, these are you know, the parents and the boosters are what we're talking about here.
Speaker 7: And they don't have money. And you talk about school systems making money. Yeah on a football player. I mean you figure what it costs to come into a high school football game. Eight eight dollars. There's not a lot of there's not a lot of revenue there for that school. No.
Speaker 1: But but but you know what, I think there's an element of prestige they benefit from because is if you have a first round draft pick, that kid's banner is going to be They're going to use that all over the place for marketing. It's you know, maybe they're not. You're going, well, how are they profiting from it? Yeah, but it's again you're using their name injus and likeness. You're benefiting from it and they're not. That's I think, ultimately what I have the problem with. Hey takes the call. Tony opens up a line at five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred, the big one.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: Here's the other thing is okay, well just go college. You'll look at the call, you know, I mean, what under minds the whole argument is, and this is because of me and you just the money's flowing. The NCAA and member schools. They generate in excess of nineteen billion dollars a year in total affect or revenue. And this is across all all divisions. And of course, you know, the power five control a majority of that. You know, Ohio State is like two hundred and fifty million in revenue from you know, the gaming right, the whole thing that that's that's an incredible amount of money. And you know, okay, is that a lot less than high school?
Speaker 7: Sure?
Speaker 1: It is, absolutely it is. But we used to talk about college athletics. Oh my gosh, it's the last chance to be an amateur, and there wasn't. I mean, schools are making huge money off these guys and girls and none of what's coming back down. I mean, legitimately, it's an issue of fairness, Like, wait a minute, I'm making you all this money, and I think you should also factor in that college degree as well, that you're getting education that should go towards your salary, so to speak, with money you're making. But you know, tell me I can't sell a jersey. I can't, I can't. You know, Hey, it's the Ohio State that was so silly. You know I won a bowl game. I always told my jersey. I'm in trouble for that. Wait, wait, what you're making like nineteen billion dollars. Ohio State's making two hundred and fifty million dollars. They're paving the athletic facilites of gold bricks for crying out loud, and you're telling me, the guy who got them there, that you can't get anything. It's just so silly. Well, no, you're an amateur. Yeah, you're an age. They want you to be an amateur so they can keep all the money. Money. It's just it makes no sense and natural. This is gonna translate down to high school. Now, you know we're talking about this and it just it affects such a small percentage of kids, you know, your typical student athlete. What are you gonna get? You know, in rural Ohio, the local whippy dip is gonna we'll give you unlimited whippy, We'll give you unlimited softies and you when you need some smoothie. Okay, fine, yeah, we'll do that. That's you know you're gonna get. You make it a little. Maybe it's a local car dealership. You're gonna give you, what, five hundred bucks a month maybe something like that. Any agent gets twenty percent of that, Okay? Is that life changing money? No, it's pocket money, is what it is. Why, well, who's that hurting? It's destroying the fabric of the team. Oh my god, God, the pearl clutching with this is just it's too much. It's simply too much. You know, we got March Madness coming up, and the TV deal with them is what over a billion a billion dollars a year. I mean, that's that's insane. And you're telling me can't have a percentage of that?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 1: Is it a lot less or high school? Sure? What are You're streaming some things and maybe some of the bigger schools get on cable or access or you know, maybe that will be monetized in the future. But you know, if my kid had a god given ability through work or otherwise and they're going to wind out if they can get money for that, it's you know, it's a free market. It's Republicans so specially we talk about the free market, the free market. Well, this is a free market, like, yeah, but it's going to ruin things.
Speaker 9: Who is it?
Speaker 1: What's it ruining exactly? It just I don't know. It feels like it is a it feels like it's in solution in search of a problem when you look at the great impact of this whole thing at five point three seven four nine, seven thousand. Let me roll with Alex and Mason next on the Scotsland Show.
Speaker 4: Alex, what's up, good morning, Scott, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think is you know, it's a unique and.
Speaker 9: A great situation when a keyid can allow and have the opportunity to allow himself and his stamming to have an opportunity for a better school, better situation, and it's just like you know what I'm saying in the NCAA's they want to go out to the they want to target the kids for making all this money. But nobody want to say anything about these conferences. Who are are going taking these these schools out of them, out of alignments and making these power conferences and create these huge TV rights and these huge TV deals and so forth, making billions and.
Speaker 4: Nobody talking about that. But like you said, you know what I'm saying, we created it, We created all this.
Speaker 9: And these schools, you know what I'm saying, they get together and create these these powerfiul conferences. They pull Big twelve schools and put them in their se sue, put them in the in the in the uh big ten and create these power conferences for what So they can generate more.
Speaker 1: Money and more well, and the thing they want to protect the money and you know, for high schools and the money thing's interesting and I think it's in particular where we talk about this is just with athletes. But okay, I don't know. Maybe you're in a high school band, right and you're really really really good, and like you've got a recording contract, or somebody's a YouTube or Instagram or TikTok influencer and they're making incredible money. Should schools kick them out of I don't know, business class or music class because they're professionals and especially you know he mentioned the Olympics. Hell, look a look at the hockey team. They're professionals. Already. We were allowing professionals to play in the Olympics, and it makes it gets more eyes on the Olympics. What's wrong with that?
Speaker 9: Scott is Also you look at sports like baseball and tennis and golf.
Speaker 4: These high school.
Speaker 9: Kids are good enough now that they can play in they can get endorsements, and they do get endorsements, right, and they get pro contracts and some get get drafted, but they don't who the eligibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes it makes absolutely no Like look at Charlie Woods. I'm not quite sure where Charlie Woods goes. Tiger Woods son and great golfer and all that, but like, you know, he's at high school, probably a private high school. But like, how many people are interested in that school? Are sending their kid to school there because well that's where Charlie Woods went and they've got a great golf program. Maybe they do, Maybe they aren't no, but it's going to be a lure for them, isn't it correct?
Speaker 4: They use it as advertising.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, yeah, you know, maybe we transferred to the district to be able to do that. Hey, Alex, thanks for the call. I appreciated A five one three, seven, four nine, seven thousand. Over to Alisa in Westchester. Next on the show, Good morning, Good morning, what's up? What do you got?
Speaker 10: So there's so many different layers. There's so many different layers to this money that's being dispersed. Number one, these kids are going to school, probably for free.
Speaker 5: And in my.
Speaker 10: Opinion, you know, based on some of the interviews that these athletes are doing, you know, whether they're in college or whether they're pro they can't even conduct a conversation. They can't have a an educated conversation. So are they being pushed through the system that they're getting free education for now we're going to give them money.
Speaker 8: On top of that.
Speaker 10: But hey, guess what, the guy who's just going to that college because he wants to go to that college has to pay a lot more money because he's got to pay for these other people and you know, use the money for the college.
Speaker 1: Well, they kind of I mean again, this is more of a This is more of a you know, the Power five conference where they were, you know, Ohio statementson makes like a quarter million, that's all. That's a lot of money, right, Yeah, I mean I hear what you're saying. But it's kind of always been that way that an athlete will come in and get a scholarship. But that, again, isn't that compensation. It used to be that was the compensation, and now they're like, well, when you're maybe that used to be, but now you're talking about tens of billions of dollars in TV revenue. We want a piece of that. And that's the disparity we're talking about. So, yeah, you're compensated by getting a degree, but okay, we've allowed that to happen since long before we were here. Lisa, did that screw up the relationship between student and student athletes and some kids out scholarship since Sun didn't. I mean, we're splitting the hairs here, I think is the issue. I got to go, Hey, thanks to the call. I appreciate I got to get a news update, and when we return to the show, we'll switch it up. Scott Stein is here. You know, smart classes they've been around for a while. They kind of like, we're hot for a minute. Google Glass that came out, and now they're really getting some traction now and as we talk about AI and the integration of technology to our bodies, the glasses thing is really starting to take off. There's seemed some big numbers of this. And you know, we also thought, oh, that's going to be the future. You don't have a phone anymore now you've got the glasses. I'm not saying that's happening right now, but this this, whatever we did this time around, I think we're more accepting of it when it came to that. So anyway, we'll talk to Scott sign from CNET about this coming up. What you needed about the smart class is really that the future? Do you need them? I love tech stuff and hopefully you do too. We'll do that next on the show on seven hundred Since then, do you want to be.
Speaker 5: An American idiot? Why?
Speaker 1: I'm Scott Film Thanks to check on my show here on seven hundred WW and available right afterwards on the podcast or the iHeartRadio app. And of course you can dream there take us with you wherever you go. Arguably one of the biggest trends in tech smart glasses. You know, we talk a lot about AI, but those two things are intertwined, and they tried it years and years ago. Google Glass didn't really take off, and now it really is starting to. And you think about just having those things on your face and what it allows you to do to see, to record of course, you know videos, big deal, but also you know navigation for example, and identifying things along the street. It's an extension. It's going to extension of your brain, but it's also going to be a huge extension in AI, and it's really headed this way. Joining the show this morning on seven hundred WLW scott Stein, our friends from CNET in scott Stein. Welcome, how you been. I'm doing well. You know, years and years ago they came out of Google Glass, right, they came out and like, oh man, this is going to be a game changer, and then it kind of faded away, and now all of a sudden it's back like Gangbusters? What what what happened in the last few years?
Speaker 2: I know following it since then. I reviewed Google Glass way back, so I've been following the ups and downs, and a lot of times it's like VR headsets too. These things kind of have cycles where they become trendy and then and then drop out. So in the past three years, the big thing, as everyone heard endlessly is AI and the hype around that, and also some of the possibilities are driving what's happening in these classes now. That's where the big players like Google and Meta are focused. So that's kind of the why of it. But what's interesting is that there are capabilities that are now becoming, like you said, really possible. When when I were Google was over a decade ago, people thought I was doing those things and it couldn't actually do them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And there's a distinction, of course between the AR and vr ee wear and smart classes and the difference of course being ars mars of the headset that you don't see, you know, it's a virtual world you're looking at as opposed to a pair of glasses with help you know, like the rate of the any of the products. Now you can get a prescription for these things and it's a regular set of glasses, and so that's the difference between the two. Do you see those things merging in the future as that can be set that on the.
Speaker 2: Horizon, that's totally the goal for companies, you know, and that's been true for a long time. If you remember the company Magic Leap people were trying to come up and Microsoft's HoloLens, they were trying to come up with these ideas of having these holograms in the world, like Star Wars people refer to Tony Stark's glasses. You can see it. They're not able to get there, still not able to get there yet, because it's a really tough obstacle. But there are some glasses that are plugged in that are getting really close to that. There's one that I looked at coming next year made by Google and a company called x Reel, called Project Aura. They're going to change the name next year, I'm sure, but it basically is like a little portable VR mixed reality headset. Their glasses. You put them on and you can see apps floating all around you and three D things and use your hands to control it. And that's a tethered thing that you don't wear all all the time. Right's portable. But but in the meantime, there's a lot of companies that are making wireless ones that kind of are like smart watches for your face. So some of them are already out there. Meta has a ton of them with ray bans that have really good audio and they take pictures, so they're basically and they have some AI that recognizes the photos and the audio. Then they have one with the display in it. The display doesn't show all that much. It's more like flat apps that you bring up, which I find a little anno, I think. But Googles next year are going to work with more apps on your phone and with more like to have more recognized like the way that you have Theory or or Gemini. And you know you're used to earbudds and your watch knowing what's on your phone. Glasses can't really do that yet easily, but they're going to start to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's crazy where it's going. So let's talk about that because you've tried and tested them all. Uh what what as far as the screen itself goes? What kind of displays are we starting to see what technology thinks could become the standard here?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, on the one that splug in, like the XC Real and Future. A couple of these companies you may not have heard of or making them. They have micro o led displays, which are the types of displays that are also in the Apple Vision Pro and the Samsung Galaxy XDAR that came out. They're really good quality displays, and they look like you're looking at a big TV. That is, it could be could look higher quality than a TV you have in your home, or at least is good on the on the glasses themselves. A lot of them use a variety of technologies. Some of them have a kind of a ghosty rainbow e look, some of them are monochrome. Some of the meta rate end displays actually look really crisp and colorful, but only one eye, and that technology is going to start appearing more. Google is going to have something like it in one eye, and then eventually the goal is to get the two eyes. So the problem is your battery life and other stuff and what your phone can deliver. It won't be all the things you can think like. It's not meant for watching movies. It's not meant for doing anything three D yet. It's more forgetting like directions and stuff, which can be really useful and for people I know who have had assistive challenges. A couple of friends I've heard of already use this for vision assistance, and there are already FDA clear glasses that work for hearing assistances. So I think there's going to be a big assistive push with these glasses, but it needs to be vetted out. A lot of the visually assistive stuff that Meta does and Google's going to do. You know, it's hit and miss because AI there's.
Speaker 8: A lot of things about what's going on in your world.
Speaker 2: But it's also guessing a heck of a lot.
Speaker 1: Scott Stein is here. He is the edit at largest Scenet. We're talking about smart classes, which is the that's the big hottest product right now. As a matter of fact, from you know, probably in the last couple of years we've said it. It started, it ebbed off and it started to come on like gangbusters, especially now because you're starting to see at some point in the future AR and V are merged with smart glasses, which would be an incredible combination. There's on the issue of battery life because obviously the more aid and more computing power you have, Scott, the more drand on a battery it's going to be. Is that one of the big barriers here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of the big, big down sides of the pond because I was. I was talking about this with with one of the chip maker's arm the other day, who makes a lot of the chips for these. And you know, with smart watches, you want it to be you want to be able to sleep with it maybe and have it last for days. With glasses, you're going to go to bed, take off your glasses, but you want it to last a full day. A lot of these glasses do not last a full day. And that is even though the battery life got better, you're gonna have to recharge it at some point if you're using it through the day, and then what are you doing. You're taking out your glasses, which is what you have to do right now, and charge them in a charge case, which you know it could be ridiculous for people. So I think getting over that hurdle is huge. The other part is prescriptions, something you wouldn't think about, but they haven't figured out how to honor all prescriptions with these glasses. If you shop the metas ray bans, they only go up to a certain prescription to the ones about the display. With the display it's even narrower. Does not work with my prescription, which is pretty intense it's not unusual, not that unusual, and people who wears glasses, that's the whole point. So you can see some companies that are out there, a few floating around. One of them who makes the display glass, it's called even Realities makes someone that has a wide range, a long battery life. But they only do a couple of things. So it reminds me of like the very early days, where do I buy? What do I do for buying these? To me, it's spend as little as possible and experiment and realize that you're buying something that's still a work in progress. There's going to be stuff that comes in the next few years. It's going to be a lot different.
Speaker 1: So you go back ten years or more to the advent of the smart watch. Smart watch comes out Scott and people are like, okay, well do I need a watch with all these things? I mean, what's I've got I've got a watch or I'm not a watch person. Then they came up with the fitness apps and if you have Apple, for example, Andrew, they have the app right that's built in tracks your steps and all these things, and hey, now you can take your ten thousand steps a day and you can track all these matches and that's what caused smart watches to explode over the last ten ten plus years. Is eric killer app waiting us for these types of devices and smart glasses.
Speaker 5: Right now?
Speaker 2: The big killer apps that I see and the NIF killer apps for a lot of people are the ability to be assistive with the rate end, you know, to sort of like if you need it to read something for you or transplay something for you. And then for the ones that plug in, the ability to kind of have like a virtual monitor or to watch something on the go. Of course, you could always just use your laptop or your tablet or your phone and just hunch over the screen. So the questions do I need that? But I do think going down the road, like you mentioned, fitness would be a really interesting killer app Right now, A lot of these glasses don't fully hook in all of that, which seems a bit paradoxical. Meta actually has a pair of Oakley Vanguard glasses that work with Garmin watches that are really good right now, but you have to have a garment watch and you have to be into the idea of wearing those wrap around glasses to get feedback when you're doing extreme activities. But I think for everybody else, for things like training, getting feedback, even stuff like virtual workouts down the road, I think there's a lot of possibilities, but we haven't even seen that yet. And also how much stuff do you want to have on you?
Speaker 3: Already?
Speaker 2: People always want to be I want to have time away from my phone. You got your earbuds, you got your watch. All the companies are trying to deal with that. You know, how how do you get somebody to buy one more thing? Do you even need that one more thing? And it might be like, oh, I get the glasses and they don't get the watch. It's like companies like Apple are going to want you to eventually buy all three because that tends to be their m And how are we going to deal with that? What's the price going to be? The prices on these kind of range for any work in three hundred dollars to over a thousand, and that's not even counting the prescription.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just want it. It doesn't sound like they kill rapp there as yet. That's going to go, well, I need those and God only knows that it could be fitness, but you know, working out doing extra you know, doing planks with glasses on, They're going to slide off your nose. So that's that's probably not as good as the watch. I don't know. I was just thinking while you were talking, going okay, well, we've got to scare people into buying stuff, because fear is a great motivator for product, Like either you're missing out or you know, maybe something along the lines of you know, with AI is it's scanning for people around you or places that are dangerous situations. I mean, I could totally see somebody integrating facial recognition software and you know, cameras for a long time now I'll be able to tell whether somebody's carrying a weapon on them or not. I mean, you know, and it sounds kind of like, you know, a dystopian but something along those lines where it's like, hey, you know you're paying attention all the cool stuff on your phone in the background that's looking out for uh situations, uh that that could trip.
Speaker 3: You out, you know that car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something like that is a huge concern. And there and the way that AI is now you know, not being regulated well and it's all over the place and going way too fast and messy. Jumping this all in the glasses as all sorts of complexities that we don't know about any concerns. So yeah, you're totally right. And also a lot of it is really extensions of what's already on our phones, Like a lot of the stuff that you could do it on your phone, you're a lot of instances, but the fact that you're doing it on your face, you know, not only do I feel safe talking to someone of doing it, but also you know what is actually capable of being done. I would say, like the interesting thing the flip side is that I tended to use the metaglasses a lot of vacation glasses, which is just kind of funny, and it's that you know, in the early days of smart watches, I remember that people places like PFA or people standing up on their jobs would wear smart watches because allowed them to be on their feet and not have to look at their phones. And there are a lot of ways that glasses could be useful like that for people. I mean, for a silly thing like the vacation I would use it to take photos and take calls and not have to pull thing out of my pocket. But I think that that will start to become convenience. Part the flip side is if I feel like I'm always on and always connected, am I really truly mentally feeling like I'm on vacation? And so you know, do I want to just turn that off, put it away and not have that That's the thing I'm wrestling with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's certainly complex. You just see this thing taking off more and more, and there's there's got to be a social acceptance evolution there too. And I think would he came up with a killer rap? That's going to help it a lot everyone and we'll all be walking on the classes on of course too. You know, even this day and as old as serious, there's times where I say, hey, say and it doesn't listen. Do we have that problem where the AI glasses that they misidentify things and I guess, for lack of a better term, hallucinates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a great question, definitely. Not only do they misunderstand or misinterpret things vocally, but there are a lot of hallucinations that go on. There are times that seems to know knowledgeably about I ask what plant this is, and it takes a look to take the photo and identifies and that may it may not be that plant. There's a lot of Sometimes it can be, sometimes cannot be. And then AI is always good at apologizing and that you you ask, oh, I'm sorry, it's oh, I'm sorry, it's this, and then you get you feel like you're being gas float. You know which one which is the real answer? You have to go vett it out yourself. That's a big challenge I find in using AI reliably as a as an all day type of the tool. But but you also bring up like voices to me, a lot of companies are trying to figure out a way to get passed voice because you're talking to yourself, you're if you feel like you're playing twenty questions. There are technologies. Meta has a neural band now that's an accessory to the ray band. Displays based the leisure to pinch and gesture and get to things supposedly faster. Apple has a lot of gestures on its watches. Google's going to be adding that, and eventually companies want to figure out things like eye tracking, which is a whole other ballwax is do you want that? But the flip side is that you could potentially get to information that you want to get you faster than using your voice. But those haven't been fully figured out. But keep it, keep an eye, so to speak, on that because a lot of companies are trying to solve that, and it may not just be on glasses, It'll be on your watching your home in the way that you interact with things.
Speaker 1: On the smart classes topic, Scott given metas track record with data privacy and the fact that smart classes are continuing. I mean, you know your your microphone on your phone is on all the time you click somewhere and follows you. We're going to see that an extreme when it comes to what we look at as well. How do you see the industry moving forward balancing the benefits between what's happening contextually and versus privacy.
Speaker 2: I think there may be a whole bunch of changes to the way that phones connect to services like that, to regulations to understand how these things work. You know already on your phone, these all connect with your phone when you're on your phone. You have to enlist all sorts of location based or services to have things always be connected. That's the case of the glasses too, and you have to kind of put things into an always on state.
Speaker 4: And how much. How much of that do you want to do?
Speaker 2: The company like Meta, you know, like you said, it's a terrible track record with these types of things, and so they're not the ideal company to be driving AI glasses. However, their technology is really fascinating right now and has a lot of capabilities. But Google entering the picture provides competition. Google has a lot of issues too, so you know, Apple, every every big tech company has its own subset of issues and different degrees. So the best thing would be to have a lot of these services be interchangeable, you know, have standards to interconnect. A lot of the companies now are wanting you to use Meta, wants to use Meta AI. Google is going to want you to use Gemini Apple when they make glasses. I'm sure it's going to make you flow through new theory. And that's that's not great because on your phone at least you do seem to have more options and and so, like you mentioned that that kind of connected that big question of of data and privacy and how these things are controlled on glasses.
Speaker 1: Now, if you think the era privacy was over, now now it's a if you think about there's cameras up all over the place, and you know, people trying to get away with stuff, and you know, we have murders and killings that are solved now because of this technology. Imagine now when I don't know five ten percent of the population are walking around with cameras that are always on, as opposed to somebody pulling out a phone in recording. That's going to seem quaint. We'll be recording all the time. We just don't realize it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a lot of these companies are trying to become extensions of your memory, which is a fascinating dystopian, wild science fiction topic that you know, we've been thinking about for years, but they really really are and it's already happening on your phone. A lot of the glasses are working on that too, to kind of say, I'll remember what you were looking at or help you recall things by by recording moments or interconnecting them via AI. And then you get to the point of well, it's that it's that treating your privacy and change for things that might help you, how the tendant you become on these said memory systems and wanting to keep them on or health systems where who it's monitoring things I think it's a fascinating future, and also I think it's a very problematic one. We're already there with phones, but I think that I think the glasses and the sensor technology that's coming, sensors that are going to be more advanced, not here yet but are eventually going to be more advanced. Things like neural sensors or things that could you know, connect through your heart rate or potentially stress levels, or eye tracking. They all want to go there. Then you get to a point where it can start to sort of guess at what you're thinking and what you're looking at. I don't I don't think we're there anywhere anytime in the next two years or so. But I think that that that is part of the goal. Those advanced headsets like Apple Vision Pro which have eye tracking and you know, and and and all that are sort of and hand tracking or sort of showing that total picture that eventually companies do want to make for glasses.
Speaker 1: Well real quick, Scott, do you think that in I don't know, maybe then ten fifteen years, whatever it might be, that the the smartphone that's not even a phone anymore, it's everything but a phone that that goes away and we just have glasses.
Speaker 2: You know, I've covered tech for so many years. Originally I would say yes, but I said laptops are going to go away in two thousand and nine and forgot one on my desk Texas. Tech is hard to kill in a lot of ways until suddenly dead. But I think phones, you know, thank goodness, we do not have implants in our brains. I don't think we should ever have implants in our brains.
Speaker 8: But I think that phones are.
Speaker 2: Our extensions to the tech world that we carry on us. And I think for a lot of reasons, battery life and power. I think that's going to stay that way, and then you're going to wear things that will work with that phone, right.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, because of the battery. There's a big obstacle here. String enough computer, yeah, yeah, that goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like, you know, the battery lies the huge issue for companies, and they make the glasses smaller and everything smaller. Battery life can't. You can't wave a magic wand and make it somedly better. So I think we'll still have phones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless you're watching a streaming show or something like that, because seemingly the actors in that they never charge their phones. Ever they wake up and it's on the bedstand. There's no charger. It's amazing and we can live in that world. I'd be fascinating. Scott Stein Seen Its editor at Large, Thanks again for the time. Fascinating news is coming up in just about five minutes and we returned. Sanjay Shavacremani our resident emergency room physician and of course fitness and health expert. There's a new test out there, a simple strength test, a couple of things you can do, and a new studies come out that shows the better you score on these tests, the less likelihood you're going to have a heart attack. Details on what you need to know about that coming up next. Scott's Loan seven hundred Scott's Loan Show. This is seven hundred WLW. He thinks our friends at Dorothy Lane Markets, they brought some food by and seafood at seafood Season with lent and all that too. They're fishmongers among the best. They will take care of They hooked us up. We got obster rolls and shrimp and crabbed it with many toasts, salmon salad. The clam chower is fantastic. Everything there is wonderful. So Dorothy Lane Market their new location, of course, the originals in Dayton on Fire Hills Avenue in the new one in Mason off a western row. So everything there is I can attest firsthand how good everything is. But I love seafood. I had to enjoy a good fresh seafood. And there's no fresher place together than our friends with Dorothy Lane Markets. Sanjay, would you agree on the seafood thing? Are you? Seafood guy? Fully agree, big seafood guy.
Speaker 11: And last time I was there, I saw their new poke Poke station, so you could get poke bowls and you just make them custom to the way you want them. I did not dive in that time, but I am definitely trying it next time. It looked amazing, Like everything looks super frished, poke is and it's got to be.
Speaker 1: It's legit. If it's Dorothy Lane, you're good.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't get that at a gas station. But because it's for their sake, I trust their sushi. Let's go Poky is awesome. See. I like to eat. I like different foods. I'll try anything. Once I don't like it, I don't like it. Same here it's all good. So yeah, Earthy Lane the hookup sign. Joy Shaefer Kramani's here. He is our resident physician, emergency room physician, also our health and food and fitness expert, and he joins the show this morning every Thursday, we talk health. And there's a study out that shows it it was just women that so there's the study finds that women with greater muscle strength have a significantly lower risk of death. And there's a couple easy tests to find out how you rate what your strength is.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so this is the most recent study and it's specifically for women, but it underlines the prior studies that have been done in strength training in all ages and all genders. So this study specifically was published in jama so a pretty you know, a well known journal, and what it did was studied women over the age of fifty and found that two tests can show you your strength in a way that it actually correlates with your mortality. So the more strength you have, the lesser chance you have of dying. And those two tests are grip strength and also how fast you can get up from a seat, so simple things. Grip strength is correlated with better health as well as getting up quickly from a seat five times, so.
Speaker 1: You get it gout without any help, without pushing yourself up or is it hands? No hands?
Speaker 11: So it really doesn't matter, you know. Optimal health would be, yeah, you brace your core, you don't use anything else, but you can just get up five times as quick as you can. What they found, and another says have shown is if you can do that in less than eleven seconds, you're pretty good. So that's about two seconds less, you know, a little bit more than two seconds per time you get up and sit back.
Speaker 1: Now eleven seconds from sitting to standing. You want to try it, Yeah, like I could do I probably could do an eleven seconds. I probably could get up and down five times. You probably could, right, And so you know, you work out, Sloan, let's go. You need more than good yeah, maybe two. You got to get those muscles built. And the same thing for grip strength.
Speaker 11: And it's not like you know, a lot of people will see the study and they'll say, well, all I got to work on my grip strength and then and then I don't die. But it's obviously more complicated than that. It is thought that grip strength is reflective, so it shows you an overall picture of how your body is doing, but by a simple test.
Speaker 1: Okay, so real quick, so getting some people are going, oh what the test? So getting up and out of a chair from sitting down standing up in eleven seconds.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so while you're listening to this, you can literally try it right down in the.
Speaker 1: Work people at work now popping up and down like, well we know who's listening, like whack a mole, Like what's going on in the cubicles here? Uh So that's okay, So that's it. And now real quick, is that just for women or is that men too? So that's that's men in general.
Speaker 11: So studies have also shown the importance of grip strength as a measure of.
Speaker 1: How do I measure grip strength? So there there's a few ways.
Speaker 11: I mean, the main way that you can do it is with a dynamometer, which I actually I was trying to get to bring in here today. It is a little bit delayed with Amazon right now, so I couldn't bring it in because I was going to find out how you are. Yeah, because you're always talking about working out. It's like, let's like this guy is like a donas over talking. I'm just a fat bastard anyway, So those can actually test. So you basically you make a grip and it shows you what exact force you're putting on it. And there are numbers for men and women of how of where you want to be to show you that you have the best health.
Speaker 1: Is there any way to judge your grip strength without the dynamo and the mind of manner without the diary? This is why healthcare so expensive. They got a gadget for everything, and you have to pay per letter.
Speaker 11: Right, So the main ways you can do it is just holding on to something heavy for a while, even like you know, can you grab five bags of groceries and go into your house?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Simple stuff like that. Can you you know, hang from a bar?
Speaker 11: That's a that's a good one too, although that overall tests more things than just your grip, but there are there are multiple things you can do. But I kind of like those two hanging and then holding, So it's I guess the test is it's not necessarily the risk of the grip strength. What happens is if you're physically active, if you are doing resistance training or you do a physical job, your grip strengths nowctual it's going to be stronger because you're exercising other muscles, and the risk is very important in anything upper body. If I'm doing bicep, tricep chest press over at, you're still your wrists are going to get strong by doing that.
Speaker 1: So it's like a default test exactly.
Speaker 11: And yeah, if you're doing anything you know, manual, you're working those grips, but all the muscles around it, like you said, but what is also testing isn't just the muscles, but how well your brain's functioning and how well your nerves are functioning, because you need all of that stuff to be in line. If one of those is off your muscles or your nerves things, you're not going to be able to hold onto anything for too long.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, he's sign. Jay Shaefercrimani are resident a doctor and fitness expert on the show this morning on seven hundred WLW. It's in which ot of the two is in more consistent mortality If you're to just take one, I mean the too easy test and like wow, I don't have a grip meet or like fancy pants over here does? So what about the chair test? Which one's better?
Speaker 11: So the study is very and my actual assumption would have been that getting up off a chair would be faster. But what this specific study showed was that grip strength was a little bit more correlated to better health. But other studies have shown different things. So either way, you want to be stronger to live longer. That being said to kind of go on a tangent, cardiac fitness and cardio respitory fitness measured by like what we usually call cardio, actually correlates with better health as far as living longer, and so it's a little bit more advantageous to if you if you have your choice of doing cardio over strength if you want to live longer. The way I also see it is though, if you want to live better, get that strength training in because that allows you to do the things you want to do. You know, if you're a gardener, you get to squat more. If you you know, like pottery, you get you know, to do the right anything. Yeah, golf will require strength less than endurance, so you know, ultimately there is a little bit better mortality benefit to cardio. But both in combination is where the money is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, doing both, got it, got it, And people go, well, I only have so much time a week. You know, I'm my strength training three days and cardio the other three more and then like for me at my agent of you know, fifties push a late fifties, I like to go okay. I do cardio two days a week and it doesn't have to be crazy like hardcore. I do straight resistaning thing twice a week and then pilates at least twice a week. So that's actually my joint suck and I need to get rid of that pain from all the work and that which is all perfect.
Speaker 11: So you know, the current guidelines are still one hundred and fifty minutes of exercise per week in some form of fashion, unless it's vigorous, in which case you can get by with seventy five. More is better, but too much can be bad too, because it can you know, you can injure yourself. There are kind of four things you want to think about. Is am I getting my strength in?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Am I getting my cardio in? R am I getting my balance in, which is important as we get older to prevent falls. And then there's a new thing coming out as far as power and how much power are you getting? And this is actually what comes down to, like quick reflexes and speed, and so there are ways to build that up. But that what those quick kind of reactions do as our body gets quicker, is it it stops those falls. So yeah, balance is important, but if you're suddenly falling, you want to make sure you can react quickly before gravity takes over and.
Speaker 1: You end up on the grounds. Yeah. Yeah, it's a quick the fast twitch stuff that like, hey, I'm falling or I misstep and you catch yourself, but you're able to jump and exactly if you can't do that, then you fall and that's how you break. But and then it gets worse because you've got to recover from those injuries, which can be very substantive, breaking a hip for example, Right, yeah, it slows you down.
Speaker 11: Now we've gotten better as far as our surgeries and everything that the risk of dying actually within a year has gone down markedly, but you know, it limits you significantly. When you break your hip, especially as we get older, it will throw you off for months, if not years.
Speaker 1: Now, as I age don Jay into this closer to death cohort, you have friends that are like they never have you know, I would play sports when they're younger, and then you know you're working, you're doing stuff, and now they're like, well, you know, I'm slowing down a little bit more. I've got to I want to start working out or start because I realize the benefits and I want to be around and enjoy the fruits of all this labor. So it's you know, it's hard to have cool stuff, do fun things when you're dead. So unless you consider that a vacation, which I actually I think about it, maybe I take that back anyway, as I ramble here with the ADHD be able to do that. Another subject, what about that? I mean you're getting in with the first time. What if you're I don't know, sixty, what if seventy eight? I mean you've never done before. You want to start going.
Speaker 11: Truly, never done it before? You know, once we get over at any age, I'd say, but certainly past the age of you know, forty, you want to have a guide to help you get there. You want to make sure you're doing things right. And the other thing is you want to make sure you're not going too hard too fast. You may hear something like this like, oh I'm going to die sooner if I'm not in shape, I better you get into shape. Now, the most important thing is that you do something that you can enjoy, that you can do consistently, and that will get you the you know, the benefits over the long run. You don't want to bite off too much too fast, and you certainly don't want to do anything that can injure yourself, especially without eyes.
Speaker 1: Starting easy, right and maybe one or two days a week, you don't have to really press it because it's going to take you longer to recover the muscle fatigue. First, it's the you know, if you do resistant trainings, you know, right, it's it's the tendons for then the muscles come along. It's like, wow, I'm not making progress. All those sad to do because you're training your tendons as long as well as your muscles.
Speaker 11: Exactly, and it's the whole body, and it takes time. You know, what we say at our gym is that, you know, give us, give us thirty days, and it's going to take a while. The first couple of weeks are actually going to kind of stink. Your body is doing something it's not used to. But you know, one, give yourself some grace and to see how things are feeling after thirty days. But then the real test is at ninety days. You know, that's when the habits start to build. That's when you're feeling more accountable towards yourself, and that's when you when you see the improvements overall, especially not just in the gym, but also in your life.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad you said that too, because it's like, oh, thirty days, Yeah, habits, we don't have had the Habitstil between forty and fifty days, right, something becomes a habit.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and more most concreted about ninety So it's truly three months that you want to give yourself. But you know those three months of growth could lead to an extra three years, if not three decades, to your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Sign Shavor Crimani a resident emergency room physician and also health and fitness and food expert. This morning on the show. In seven hundred WW, the Journal of American Medicine came out with a new study. Well I don't know if it's new study necessarily, but ways to see if you're going to wind up living a life you expect to and that is an interuring study came out that you have a thirty three percent lower risk of death compared to the non working out group relative to grip strey. So it's grip strength and it's getting up for a chair. So if you can sit in a chair and stand up and you can use your hands, I guess I suppose do you get bonus points if you can just bonus points for sure you stand up? Yeah, okay, if you stand up in less than eleven seconds from a seated position, that's great, you're good. You pass the test. Grip strength a little more different because you need a special instrument to do that. But again, you know, if you can carry five bags of groceries, if you can pick up aunt gallon of paint, would probably be a good test, right, A good hold on for a while, hold out for three or four hours, and then see because if you don't make it four hours, you're probably going to die. That's really the test right there, now, if you did, I mean a lot of people have pink cans around something like that. Long, I like a couple of minutes. A minute, I mean a minute is a good test for anything. Yeah, yeah, just so you get plank for a minute, you're fine. You don't need a plank any yeah.
Speaker 11: Yeah, And that's the that's the important part for strength training is you know, it's again we just talked about force, which is that quick movement, which is it has its place, and then you have strength, which is kind of doing things for a little bit longer. And then you have the endurance stuff, which is your cardio. All of those in combination will help you live a longer life and a better life as well. So the most you can do, especially if you have limited time, getting a workout in that does all of those that that focuses on strength, that focuses on cardio to a certain degree, that focuses on balance and power. So doing quick movements, slow movements, all of it will be important for your help.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just keep moving. That's a goal. If you want to live longer, got gotta move and if you have it, you can start. You can can you reverse a hands of time with us?
Speaker 11: Reverse is tougher than it is to slow down the hands of time? So this is this is really about slowing down the time of the hands of time and right and honestly there we can talk about it another time. But as far as METS and VO two max, which is a big kind of thing, as far as your cardiac function back of the room stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: But for every met you go up, so you know, average being like eight to ten mets that we can function. Okay, for every met you can increase in your life, you actually drop your risk of dying by double digit percentage.
Speaker 1: Really, so it's huge. So yeah, maybe what's those maybe another topic? So anyway, he's a sign Jay Shave of Kriman. I'm sure you have this. Pinda your social at dine Well doc, that's your handle and he joined to show every Thursday. I appreciate you, thanks again, thank you. So all right, let me get a time out in forir so. iHeartMedia in the big one so Cincinnati's own Procter and Gamble. If you've got someone there you'd like for us to recognize on the air, just text us to a text five to one eighty eight one. That's fifty one eighty eighty one and be listening for the name.
Speaker 4: Don't want to be an American idiot.
Speaker 1: Scott's Slung Show on seven hundred WLW said that person it is helping with a purchase or service, or maybe they're in their home provide service could be a convicted felon. One in three ohioans have a criminal record, and a new bill would make it easier for them to get a job. You've heard about banned the box. This is the next extension of this, and there's a legislation working its way through Columbus and Ohio State Senator Bill Blessing from Colraine Township on the show is one of the sponsors. Welcome back, how you bet it's been a minute.
Speaker 6: Doing well, Scott.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me. As I said before, glad the kids are healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's all we can do. They're healthy and happy. We're good. We're good. No one's in prison. We're good. What a low bar I said. Anyway, So Ohio already bans the box and public sector hiring, which basically means they can't ask you that question if you've been convicted of a serious crime or crime. Senate Bill one three, which you're co sponsoring, is going to extend that for private employers. And so this really I think he proposed this before in the past. It's really gone nowhere. So what makes this go around different?
Speaker 6: So to be fair, this when this is only the for the initial application, if you bring somebody in for a second interview, they can obviously ask about this. The difference is is that I think the business community, particularly the higher chamber, is coming around to the idea that hey, if these people can't get jobs there, you know, it's just going to correlate very badly with you know, recidivism, and these folks are just going to go back into prison. It's going to cost us all a lot more money. So, you know, they've moved into the neutral column with sub bill that we have for this. But beyond that, you know, some of the employers that are still upset about it, you know, are worried about potentially being sued. But honestly, the way this is structured, if you in order to sue, you have to file a complaint with the Civil Rights Commission. They have to at least try to work this out, and that's you know, in order for you to sue, they have to sign off on it. So there's so many checks and balances in here. It's like, what are we doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, now that makes a lot of sense. And this is co sponsored too, it's the Democrats. That's bipartisan. And if that's the case, can you get enough Republicans on board to get this thing through?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 6: I think so in fact, the chairman, Senator Kyle Kaylor, has done just Yaleman's work on this, and he's an employer and he's had guys that he didn't realize were felons when he hired them, and they were thirty forty year veterans of his business. So he's keenly interested in getting this done. I think a lot of folks in my caucus are at that point where they're ready to.
Speaker 2: Pull the trigger on this because it's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's still, as you said, allows background checks after the initial application. So you felt the application, They can't ask you that on the screening application. If you're qualified, you can then sit down, maybe during an interview and answer that question face to face. Is that meaningful enough though, to change outcomes for ex offenders? Because I had a pool of people, would you air in the had a caution going, well, I've got three people. Maybe this person's a little better, but the criminal record, I'm worry about it. Maybe I hire somebody else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I'm not.
Speaker 6: Going to be the first to say that this is, you know, an earth shattering reform here. That's going to mean you know, tons for a lot of people, But there has been sort of a growing issue over the past five ten years of you know, the use of an algorithm to scrape the web and find, you know, if somebody was convicted of a felony or something like that and just basically automatically reject these folks and not even give them an opportunity to get their foot in the door. So, even if it is an inconvenience for employers, I do think it blocks that use of algorithm, you know, to deny these folks right out of the gate. That in and of itself I think is worth something.
Speaker 1: Right, is there a exposure legally for the business owners. Let's say I hire someone who is in I take a chance on somebody who is a convicted felon and they promise you they're straight, and you know, they commit some sort of well they reoffend commit another felony. What's the liability and the part of the business owner? So that now there is some protection in the bill for this. And the idea is, if you're if this bill were to pay ass let's say that the employer was going to be sued for you know, negligent hiring or negligent supervision. You know this this criminal background that they.
Speaker 6: Were no longer allowed to look for on that first application cannot be considered in that civil action. So they do have some degree of a liability shield here.
Speaker 1: Right with that that makes sense because you know, again it's the Ohio Department of Corrections, meaning we're correcting the behavior, and allegedly you reform these folks. Not almost always that's not the case, but they try to reform people. You know, if they come out, I don't know, it seems like the state's not doing their job the correction. That's a that's a pretty strong indictment. Well that's not on the business owner. If I heard somebody who you corrected their behavior and clearly your corrections do not work. So the state is really to blame in that case.
Speaker 6: Right, Oh yeah, And that's and that's one of the reasons why you know, myself and my my joint sponsor and even you know a lot of the advocates that you know are on on the left side of the political spectrum all said, yeah, we're we absolutely agree with with.
Speaker 2: Giving you guys some liability protections on this absolutely.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The bill also it bars employers from considering arrest not followed by conviction. That's a pretty important provision. Yeah, the idea being that if that occurred, but you know.
Speaker 6: You you weren't convicted of anything, was dismissed or something to that effect, you know, that shouldn't be used against you. I think that's definitely reasonable.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know the Governor, Mike Dwaine is publically encourage employers to hire ex offenders. Have you had yourself, Bill Blessing conversations with his office or maybe about people who were offenders and they want to try and get a job, get their life back together. But but in speaking with the governor, is that pretty strong in these days? Is his word still kind of the way?
Speaker 6: Being a lame duck that he is, So I have to confess I have not reached out his administration on this. We were just seeing where it goes in committee. And admittedly, this, as you had pointed out earlier, this has failed a number of times, and you know, the thought was, well let's just give it, you know, you know, a different path maybe this time and make it by partisan But I think his his you know, he does carry some weight still despite being a lame duck governor, and you know, his support for a bill like this I would welcome and I think it would move some members of the General Assembly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, it is Ohio Senator Bill Blessing on the show from Cole Raine, and he is co sponsoring legislation that would make it easier for convicted felons to get a job in Ohio. One of three Ohioans have a criminal record of some sort and one of the questions they may ask you is whether or not you're convicted, and that, of course is going to prohibit a company from taking a chance in hiring that person for obvious reasons. But you know, look at the day and age which we live now, Bill Blessing, President Trump was elected and us a Republican know this on One of the big things he's going to do is handle the immigration crisis. And we've kind of closed the border off and now you know, with ice raids and everything else, it's pretty clear we're we're losing immigrants. But these people provide services and fill jobs that are much needed in our society with fewer coming in. If you're taking those jobs, we have to go to other sources to get people to fill those jobs. I think I think this goes hand in hand with.
Speaker 2: That oh yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 6: And you know it also bolsters, you know, some of the good work that like Mea Maya Manufacturing does where they hire almost exclusively ex convicts, And I think I think once some of the stigma goes away on this, I think we're going to be all right because we've been as you said, we've been doing this in the public sector for a while and there haven't been any at least to my knowledge, catastrophe issues there. I don't think there will be for this, and hopefully you can get across the finish line.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I know there's still some small business groups out there. You said that the Chamber is kind of neutral on this, not foreign nor against, but there are other ones that say this is an undue economic burden on employers any ancident.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's correct.
Speaker 6: I mean the NFIB is the National Federation of Independent Business. They are they are still opposed, and you know, we were trying to work with them, and well I shouldn't. They were are still working with them to say, hey, maybe maybe the employment threshold, we can increase it from you know, having at least five employees to maybe fifteen or twenty or something to you know, help them out, because I get it, you know, suing a smaller employer it can be way more devastating than it can be like going after like a Google or something like that.
Speaker 1: But this legislation sounds like it it remedies that.
Speaker 6: I mean, well, I mean there's still they still technically can be sued. The difference is is that there's so many hurdles. I mean again, like if you you have to complain, file a complaint with the Civil Rights Commission, they have to try to work something out with the employer, and you know, at the very end, if they if the Civil rates Civil Rights Commission decide, hey, we're going to give you the right to sue, that's when they can finally sue the employer. So it's like there's so much that has to happen before that can even occur that I just I find it hard to believe that this is going to expose you know, a lot of businesses to significant liability.
Speaker 1: We know that in prison, Bill Blessing, you can get your ged, you can get a college degree, you can get certification and training in different areas. When you get out, you can have a job. How other than that, and I don't know how many inmates tit partake in those programs. But everyone does their sentence and they get out. Is there a vetting process when they leave? Is there a certification they get? Is like, hey, these people are are workforce ready. I mean we're doing that now with employee when it comes to high school and college graduates, getting people workforce ready. But is there a program in our correction system that offers that? So I know that if I'm going to hire someone, you guys have done a job in trying to prepare them for the quote unquote real world to make sure that they stay in the straight and narrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Great question.
Speaker 6: I don't have an answer for it, and but I think you're one hundred percent right, especially today with you know.
Speaker 2: The demand for the building trades.
Speaker 6: My god, Yeah, I'm certified, and that that would go a very long way to solving a ton of our problems in the you know, housing and energy and transportation in the structure world.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you did that, then you can, like you mentioned, NEMIA manufacturing does a great job, but you know, you're it's they're open about it. I think you know that's not something I think the employer of constructor, and maybe they would because we need bodies in the trades. Is like, hey, you know what we're we're you know, we're former inmate friendly and you get to work around people. But maybe you have somebody the job that's more of a role model or a mentor to keep those people on the street. It's kind of like a you know, I suppose an alcoholics program program for alcohol drug abusers, or a twelve step program where you've got a sponsor and you've got someone. I'm sure they do that, but it sounds like that would be a great avenue to get these folks in an environment where they don't reoffend.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, one hundred percent. And in fact, you know, to some degree, I'm kind of jealous of their prospects here with the building trades. I mean, if you talk to some of these folks, I mean, they can't they can't hire enough exactly, you know folks you know is electricians. I mean, I have mixed feelings about the data centers, but the demand for those folks in those particular projects is unprecedented.
Speaker 1: Yeah. We also talk in republics often about your welfare. We got a wealth reducing welfare costs that certainly would help do this because you know, I mean, leave it you go, You're you've got a record, no one wants to hire you. You're probably going to fall back into the crowd that got you in prison in the first place because you have no options, or you fall back on your public assess since that's not good. Either way, this makes a lot more sense. Do you think this may have an impact on the social services element?
Speaker 2: Certainly.
Speaker 6: I don't actually have the number off the top of my head, but I mean somebody who is gainfully employed, who has private insurance versus somebody who can't find work, you know, is on medicaid public assistance generally, that I mean that is going to be a very expensive difference for the state. And you know, when you add state and federal dollars, Medicaid is our largest expenditure and anything we can do to reduce that number is going to have a significant effect on our budget.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. We talk about saving money, and of course locking people up is very expensive as well. The best thing we can do is get people in the workforce and producing, paying taxes and taking care of themselves is ultimately the goal here, and that's what we should be pushing for and I think this is going to help move the needle in the right direction or remove that stigma to some degree. I mean, hell, when one in three people have a record no IO, that tells you something is you know, you can't you can't get rid of you know, a third of the eligible workforce population. We need them. And relative to welfare, let's face facts. You know, a huge number of women are behind bars now more than ever before, and so they tend to rely on welfare and social services more than men do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 6: And a lot of these folks are you know, people who were drug addicted. You know, when once they get on the straight and narrow, you know, now what I mean, those folks need to have that opportunity to be able to participate in the economy to the fullest, fullest extent possible. So yeah, I agree, all right, So let's fast forward, Senator Blessing to maybe five years from now.
Speaker 1: What does success look like with this program?
Speaker 6: Honestly, success, I mean it doesn't even if it's just a small number of people that this has benefited. I mean, it's to me, it's worth it. I don't see this going in the wrong direction.
Speaker 2: At all.
Speaker 6: I mean, I guess there could be a possibility of something gone wrong or somebody was hired who did something, but that that sort of thing can happen anyway, I have a feeling this is actually going to help. It's not going to be a ton, but it is going to I think, reduce the strain on our budget. I think it's going to add more folks to the workforce. I think employers are going to be able to find workers more easily, especially as we have to address our aging infrastructure. So in the end, I think it's going to be great. In terms of trying to measure the impact, that's probably unknowable, but it's one of those things that just philosophically, we can say that this is going to work out.
Speaker 1: Well, now we need bodies to show up to work. Everyone complains there's nobody working anymore. Well, you know, we've expelled a bunch of immigrants and we've deterred them from just so we've got to fill that with something. And it might be you know, convicted felons who want to turn their lives around, and we should be opening the doors. I'm given me a second or third chance. Case may be, yeah, but I think there, let's face it, we know enough about this. There's a large percentage of that prison population that don't want to be reformed. And I guess if I'm an employer, how am I? How do I know that person's just you know, checking a box and going to resume their criminal lifestyle, and time me into it first as someone who really wants to turn their life around. I guess that is the chance you have to take. If you're a business owner. Yeah, that's right, I suppose. So you're feeling good about it this time. I know we've this has been out there and introduced. It seemed like a cycle after cycle after cycle' been doing this a long time without success. It's bipartisan, which, of course these days feels like it's really really rare. Is this time the magic term?
Speaker 6: I think? So we've had, you know, more than just the you know, proform sponsor testimony at the end of the General Assembly, I have an enthusiastic chairman in favor of this. We've gotten, you know, I think it's four hearings at this point. The Chamber going neutral is utterly huge. They've been opposed to this in the past, but I think they are changing their mindset on this, and I do wonder actually if that's related into some of the data center buildouts that they're like, my god, we just we just need employees. At this point, I think there's a good shot that this gets done this cycle.
Speaker 2: And frankly, I would be just.
Speaker 6: Over the moon if we could get it out of a chamber that would have been that would be farther than this is gotten in easily twenty years.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I'm figures crossed. I mean, you know, we need the bodies. And again, if you did your time and you really want to turn your life around, you've got to show me something. And part of that's, you know, give them a chance and letting them get a job and see if they can't keep their head above water. Senator Bill Blessing, co sponsor of this from a cold Raine township, thanks again for joining the show. I appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Be well.
Speaker 1: We'll talk again soon.
Speaker 2: Likewise, Thankscott, take care.
Speaker 1: Good piece of legislation in my opinion. Coming up next on the show, My wife is in Michelle Sloan. We talked about, you know, some pumps this time of years is running non stop. Something else you need to know about that has to deal with your basement. It's not a pleasant topic. We'll get into that next afternoon seven hundred. The buying and selling of homes isn't for the timid or meek.
Speaker 5: The real estate world can be a vicious jungle, playing with dangers and pitfalls. Thank god we've got Remax time agent Michelle Sloan, the fearless real tour of Sloan, sellshomes dot Com, and the Queen of the real estate Jungle. It's Real Estate Time with Michelle Sloane on seven hundred. Gallau wel jal all right, good morning, my dear, what's new?
Speaker 8: Hello, my king?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 1: I was a good night the other night at the Northern Kentucky Convention Center for Fat Tuesday. Do you know how much money we raise for Marty Graph for Homeless Kids twenty twenty six? Did you hear much?
Speaker 8: I did not know how much.
Speaker 1: Two hundred and fifty thousand dollars. Nice quarter million dollars raised on Tuesday night. That was awesome.
Speaker 8: It is always such a great event. And I mean the food is great, the drinks are great, the music was amazing from BBA and my girl Melissa read. I mean, so so great everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tom Brenneman's strutting around like a peacock last couple of days because he's taking full credit and we had two hundred and fifty grand and I think that's the most ever we got on auction night. And he's taken because he you know, this is his first year as MC along with Sarah, and now he's taking credit. He thinks he thinks he has.
Speaker 8: What Tom looks sharp.
Speaker 5: He did.
Speaker 1: It was a cool looking jacket.
Speaker 8: Ye, he was colorful. If you haven't seen the photos, they're all over online and stuff. But I've got a picture on mine on my Facebook stage. He looks sharp. I thought that was pretty great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah he did, he'd absolutely. It was like it's a tuxedo too, like a tuxedo jacket, but it was a Marty Gras kind of designed to us really wild. Yeah, I got you got Tom Brennanman kind of money, you know, Oh, I know, I can't afford that Tom Brendman has. You have Tom Brenneman money, you can have custom upholstery done like that on his box.
Speaker 8: I have to tell you, so this is this may not be appropriate for the radio. I'm not sure, but so I gave Tom a hug, and he was wearing the giant Marti Gras balls the necklace, and I squeezed him and I broke one of his balls.
Speaker 2: The necklace.
Speaker 1: And I've been breaking Tom's balls for almost a year now, so pretty good. So what are we talking about today today?
Speaker 8: Well, you know what, there was a situation that happened at one of my houses this week, so I wanted to talk about it. We're constantly talking about check your sumpump, check your sump up, so that's old news, but we haven't really talked about how when you're the backup of your floor drains in your basement and sewer lines back up.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 8: And this is a real thing in Cincinnati because parts of Cincinnati still operate with the combined sewer systems, meaning that the storm water and the sewage sheer pipe, so all of that water is rushing, all of the ground water is rushing. We had all that snow melt and it impacted at least one of my clients pretty severely. So their drain backed up, the sewage backed up. They had about three inches of sewage in their basement. And so that is nasty, nasty, and it's not something that anybody wants, but there's some things that you can do to look out for before it gets to that point. And again you have to locate where that storm water where you're what is it where the drain is.
Speaker 1: Floor drain, It's always going to be the lowest drain, which is your floor drain in your basement.
Speaker 8: Correct, And so you just there's also a you can do a sewer scope because a lot of people also don't know that there's like a cap in the basement that is a direct line to the sewer line from your house to the street. And if you don't know, you know that's your that's an important access point for you to get in there to clean it out on occasions to make sure that there is no blockages. Because the old cast iron pipe that have was were installed a long time ago in Cincinnati, they corrode and that pipe gets smaller and smaller and smaller. Well, this particular situation, and I'm going to give a little shout out to Nick, the plumber who was helping me out and came right away, I mean great, great dude got it on. He knew what he was talking about. He came in with boots, he said, everybody stay out of the basement because you're just going to track the nastiness, don't You really don't, and so you know, let me take a step back. So really that the rain and the melt is overloading the system, and you may hear your toilets even gurgle. If you're hearing your toilets are gurgling, if you have a basement shower again, or any drains in the basement and they start to overflow. If you have a backwater valve, and if you have an older home, you should know where that is because that can help avoid some of that pressure. Another thing that you want to do is avoid doing lots of loads of laundry during this heavy runoff, because once you do abandon, that's important. So you really want to take a bite.
Speaker 1: We're talking. He feels like he's got a chime in his two.
Speaker 8: Cents, very upset by the situation.
Speaker 1: Just saying, well, why don't you just people go in the yard like I do.
Speaker 8: It solves a problem, right, or you know what if that happens in the basement, it's not my fault.
Speaker 7: I didn't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, but you know, to reset the topic here, if you just joining the show with my wife Michelle Sloan. We're talking about the sewer backups this time of year, especially because the sewer systems are overwhelmed. Now Cincinnati's they had a agreement with the Feds obviously to move away to do separate sewer for you know, abvius sewage and then run off water two different things, the gray water. But there's still about I think forty percent of homes in Cincinnati are still combined because you know, it's gonna take a long time to figure that out. And so what that means is everything goes together and you see backups in some older homes. Now that could be because of conbined district, but a lot of cases there's these old cast iron or sometimes clay pipes, a lot of cast iron. The roots get in there, causes blockage. It's blocked irresponsible from more attaches. It's called the sewer lateral. So it goes from if you have a basement, that floor drain downstairs near your water heater or laundry air or whatever it might be. That's floor drain, lowest drain in the house. If it backs up, that's why it comes through that and not out. You know, thank god, it's basement's much better than the second floor or the living area, and so if that backs up, that's what it is. So usually you know, you're talking about the lateral. It's irresponsibily from where it connects to the publics who remain on the streets, under your sidewalk, on your front yard and eventually your your basement. There's also a clean out you mentioned that, and it looks like a big pipe with a cap on. A lot of it's now it's PVC, but because they'll be cast and it's kind of like it looks like, you know, four sided kind of nut on it, and that is the axis sun. A lot of cases there on the outside of the house around where the foundation is sometimes you know inside the house, but you know plumber will figure out where that is. You need to keep that clear so that in the event of that they can have an area to go in and clean the drain out. But you know, if there's roots and stuff in there, like in the case you're talking about completely collapse pipe. Two things you can do. You can the old the more expensive way to dig up the whole yard and put a whole new PVC pipe in there. From the sewer main, connecting the sewer main to your floor, drance to your lateral, or they do seer sewer lining now, which is much er, well not much cheaper, it's still cheaper. They don't have to dig out as much, not as much destruction because that adds cost and obviously a lot of work. They can actually go in and line, clean it out and then line that sewerd Right now, if it's completely collapsed and you know, it's flowing out in the air, it's a different story.
Speaker 8: Yeah, in this instance, it's going to be about a fifteen thousand dollars six because they are going to have to go into the yard. They're going to have to dig up about ten feet and then once they get in there, they're going to have to you know, is that going to be enough to be able to fix the problem, because right they sent a sewer scope, meaning just a camera down into that sewer line and at one point in the sewer line basically it went completely dark, so it was completely filled with tar. And you know that's why you also say don't flush whites, don't flush anything but toilet paper down down your toilet, because this is what could happen you can have a huge backup. And so with this situation, people don't understand and this is until it's the worst case scenario. So the homeowners on this particular property are going to be out of pocket because their insurance doesn't cover the digging outside of the sewer line and fixing that, and so that's going to be very expensive. Now what is covered at least by this particular person, You want to check your policy. But this person the inside cleanup, which could be new carpeting they might have to take out because you've got stewer sewage down there in your lower level, so everything that was touched by it is contaminated. So you may have to take out some drywall, you may have to do some repainting, like I said, you may need new flooring. It's going to be it's a total mitigation process where you have to do this cleanup and there's a crew that comes in and that it's not cheap either, but oftentimes that is covered. But you want to double check two things on your homeowner's policy because you do not want to be out that kind of money because it's a lot. Your standard homeowner's insurance policy does not cover a sewer backup. You need a specific water sewer rider on your policy, and some pump failure is completely different as well, and you may need a separate policy for some pump. Now, I think usually some pump failure is sort of included. But I think you know the way insurance companies are now, they're they're looking to do the okay, piece by piece by piece, And if you're trying to save money, you're like, I don't worry about that, don't worry about that. Well, you better worry about that, because when it does happen, it can be very, very expensive. So you know, we still will continue to say, check your some pumps because ours is running pretty much none point and it's loud, and you do want to double check a few things that you want to see. So and now it's warm today, still before the storm comes, but texting your some pump, checking your discharge lines. Make sure that your down spouts are draining away from your foundation. If you have storm drains near your property or even out by the road, try to clear them from the leaves and debris. You want to keep those open as much as possible. You know, check your basement for early damage signs. Make sure you have a battery backup, and so there's so many things that you can do. But all of this groundwater that has come and melted all at the same time could provide some foundation pressure. There's a lot of things that you can do. The other thing that is really important for me as your real estate agent is when you are buying a home and you are getting an inspection, I all always recommend get a sewer scope. It is an add on. It's going to cost an extra hundred bucks or something like that, but it's so well worth it because if you see tree roots in the line, if you see that it's you know, some of the line has been collapsed and it's full of dirt or whatever. You know, that's something you would want to ask the current own homeowner to either take care of or give you a credit so that that can be fixed so you don't have this monumental expense once you move into.
Speaker 1: It's really really good to do. Yeah, for a hundred bucks or whatever it is, and if.
Speaker 8: You're doing it, and that's an add on, I mean, so it's part of the inspection praccess and most inspectors that oh my gosh, can you hear them?
Speaker 1: Could you control that animal.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, there's a dog outside and.
Speaker 1: He's very excited to talk to the dog, tell him about his problems. Yeah, so sewerscope, you're getting a home inspect That makes a lot of sense because that's a really really expensive propositions. I mentioned, you know, fifteen thousand dollars from more and you know, here's the thing is, people look, well, wait a minute, isn't that the sewer, isn't that the city isn't that? No, So anything from your house to where it connects, uh is gonna it is your responsibility. So that sewer lateral where from your house to the public sewer main where that that section is all you uh. And that is true when it comes to electrical as well. Sometimes people lose power. What's going on? Well, the line that runs from where the service connects to your home is your responsibility of gas. Same thing. You know, once it once it hits your house or leaves the street I guess to your house, then it is on you. So and they do sell insurance writers for that as well. I know it's the utility companies. I think Duke offers that or at least used to anyway where they say, hey, do you want the insurance that way, if something goes wrong, you're covered. So if if you're so inclined to it that way, all right, shut that dog up, would you?
Speaker 8: All right, makes way too much time.
Speaker 1: I gotta put some insulation. Sound dead.
Speaker 8: You know it's running. See that's okay. Yeah, I'm happy that it's running.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you put some rock wool and so if you got to, you know, some of it's noisy, you can put a little insulation up and uh, you know, if it's in the basement, kind of knock some of that sound down because it can't be kind of noisy if it's running a lot. But the good news isn't a few well a few weeks. It's bound completely dry as always. So yeah, during the summer. All right, I gotta go. Michelle Sloan Sloan Sales Homes, Open house Shows, Sloan sales Homes dot com. She's on YouTube and of course feed the iHeartRadio app in the podcast page. All love you gotta go, I gotta go.