Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth. This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again. We're going to running back to.
Speaker 3: Get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven d and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vasse. Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vase with you until eight thirty tonight after the Dodgers get a big win in Pittsburgh, twelve to three the final score. After the Dodgers score ten runs in the seventh inning tonight to beat the Pirates on a night that Paul sken started the game. We have phone lines open at eight six six eight seven two five seventy. You know, I'm just gonna get right into this. We'll get into that seventh inning in a second. But here's a question that begs to be answered at this stage of Freddie Freeman's career. Who just had another big moment in his Hall of Fame career wearing a Dodger uniform I know Freddy did not collect even half of his twenty five hundred hits in a Dodger uniform. But the reality is, Freddie Freeman's two signature career moments are in a Dodger uniform on their way to winning back to back World Series championships, something that no team has done in twenty six years, in fact, something that only two other franchises have ever done before. So you look at Freddy Freeman's walkoff Grand Slam in Game one of the twenty four World Series. You look at Freddy Freeman's walk off home run in the eighteen inning affair in Game three of last year's World Series. You see him holding up the line car the baseball wearing a Dodger jersey in front of his locker at this stage of his career. Who would have thought that this would even be a question. Will Freddy Freeman go into the Hall of Fame with a Dodger LA logo on his cap? I know he doesn't want to answer this question, but we can answer it for him. At the very least. Everybody always thought Freddie Freeman would go in as an Atlanta Brave.
Speaker 1: Of course we did.
Speaker 2: We thought Corey Seeger would go in if he ever did as a Dodger. But now he's spending the majority of his career with the Rangers. He's won a World Series and won the World Series MVP with Texas, and Freddie Freeman has had his signature moments. Whenever you see if Freddie Freeman highlight, it'll be in a Dodger uniform.
Speaker 1: It won't be in Atlanta Brave uniform.
Speaker 2: So at the very least, don't you believe Freddie Freeman will go into Cooperstown and at the very least do with Greg Maddox and not even have a logo on his.
Speaker 1: Enshrinement plaque.
Speaker 2: I see it at the very least that way. But come on, this guy's signature moments are as a Dodger. Let's hear from Freddie Freeman on sports and at LA after another signature moment, his twenty five hundredth career head.
Speaker 4: It does mean a lot.
Speaker 5: And then obviously when you're a manager and your teammates appreciate what you've done over the course of your career, it does mean a lot. Yeah, there's always another goal to get to, but to step back and realize, you know how long you have to play the consistency over the course of that to play at a high level for.
Speaker 4: Many, many years to get there. It does. It doesn't mean a lot, you know.
Speaker 5: I just try to play this game the right way the best of my abilities every single day, and you know, to reach some of these cool mind stones as you get later in your career.
Speaker 4: It's definitely means yeah, we did one.
Speaker 5: We just did when you had to give a little speech and yeah, doc ended it with you better get a five hundred more so where we'll start, hopefully start that tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Did you get the ball from this one? Yeah, yeah, Alex has the ball. They the line of card.
Speaker 5: They asked if they want to keep my bassett, take my basset, and I'll keep using that one.
Speaker 4: But you know, it's cool.
Speaker 5: You know, I've never been one to collect and memorabilia and things of that nature, but as I've gotten older, they keep telling me to do it. Your kids will love it and stuff like that. So I definitely won't keep the ball. When you're in a season like how often do you reflect on like when you get your career monalstones like this, Like do you look at like those big picture numbers often?
Speaker 4: Like how do you just kind of like process it all when.
Speaker 5: When you have things like yeah, I mean I've never thought about it as I was going along, but when I got here. The over the last few years, we have appreciated the big moments for all the guys that reach these things. And I think when you're going through the course of one sixty two, you're just kind of every single day is the same. You're grinding, you're doing whatever you can. But and so when you have an organization that steps back and takes time to appreciate what you've done over the course of your career, it does help you take the moment for a second. You know, you know, I'm getting the text messages already, Andrew Friedman and all of them. So it makes you take a step back and realize how hard this game is and how long you have to play to reach these things.
Speaker 4: And it does mean a lot.
Speaker 5: So you know, it's I don't I've always If you had asked me ten years ago, I probably would have brushed it off and kept going. But as you get older, you get a little bit more emotional, and he's sentimental. But it is nice for people to take a moment out of their time and appreciate what you've done in this game, so it is special. I understand, twenty five hundred hits, the's a lot of hits.
Speaker 4: So I'm happy to be able to do it.
Speaker 5: You know, hopefully tomorrow will start the next five hundred journey.
Speaker 4: How much the goal is like.
Speaker 3: Three thousand right now, so it's like something you like really want to get to.
Speaker 4: Is it kind of like a like right?
Speaker 5: I mean it goes yeah, I mean it goes back and forth. I never thought about it ever until the last couple of years when people start bringing up more of the individual stats that I'm coming close to, and you know, obviously it's kind of you know, it sits on your mind, and when you reach this one, the next one is the big one. And but you got to be healthy, and you got to play. I got to play longer. You have what you played seventeen years, so you got to keep going. And I've always you know, over the last year or two it's three thousand is the number that I would love to get to. But I have one year under contract left, so there's still a lot of other factors that go into it. I have four kids now, we got to see what they're what's going on with there. But I would love to get to three thousand hits.
Speaker 4: I would love to.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'm not going to deny that, But do I know if I'm going to get there.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: But we'll start the truck tomorrow and see how we can see what we can get close to numbers and hopefully people want me to still play after twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Freddy Freeman on Sports at LA after having a very special night, a twenty five hundredth career hit collected in that ten run seventh inning for the Dodgers tonight and Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the mark of a fighter. And it's somewhat unfortunate for Freddy Freeman because there are a couple of variables out of his control that have already prevented him from getting having more certainty about being able to get to three thousand hits, and also something that could happen next year that also can be a big obstacle to Freddie Freeman getting his three thousandth hit. Going back to the pandemic, the COVID pandemic in twenty twenty, only sixty games were played Freddie Freeman at least, at the very least, was cost one hundred hits. He won the MVP that year. He had seventy three hits in only sixty games.
Speaker 1: At that stage of.
Speaker 2: His career, it was an automatic. He was getting one hundred and ninety nine hits, two hundred hits. So at the very least, I'll be generous, you're very conservative that COVID cost Freddie Freeman one hundred hits. And then the uncertainty of the labor situation in Major League Baseball going into next year. If they lose games, that hurts Freddy's chances to getting to three thousand hits. If they don't play a season next year, then that really hurts his chances to get to three thousand hits. So also twenty twenty seven, the uncertainty of that is a variable that he can't control, and I'm sure to a certain extent, is a little frustrating. But the one thing you can't take away from Freddy Freeman is what he's accomplished already.
Speaker 1: If you look at his ranks among active.
Speaker 2: Players right now, and really that's all you can compare players by is their generation. Freddie Freeman has played the second most games of any active player. Right now, he has the second highest batting average or a third highest batting average of any player right now is right now, career average is two ninety nine. His twenty five hundred hits is the most by any active player. His doubles, his extra base hits, his RBIs his runs scored first among all active players. And that's something you can never take away from Freddie Freeman. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Now, let's get to that seventh inning, because Freddy had two at bats.
Speaker 1: In that seventh inning.
Speaker 2: The first one he did not get a hit, but he came up for the second time and got that twenty five hundredth career hit. That seventh inning, where the Dodgers scored ten runs off the Pirates bullpen, in particular wilburd Dotel, was an inning to be whole in a lot of ways. They scored ten runs, They had seven hits, two of them were extra base hits, including Pajez's two run home run.
Speaker 1: They took four walks, They forced.
Speaker 2: Two errors from Brendon Lowe and Henry Davis to catcher Loud, the second baseman with the infield in couldn't throw a strike at a force out at the plate to Henry Davis, which goes back to show you how not automatic. Miguel Rojas's play in Game seven in Toronto last year to get IKF was, this is June in Pittsburgh and Brandon Lowe with the infield in, the ball hit more directly at him than the ball that was hit to Rojas in Game seven's ninth inning last year, and Brandon Lowe pulls Henry Davis a wide of home plate. But the problem was Henry Davis couldn't catch the ball. And I'm not gonna say that was a clank by day. It's a major league catcher, he should catch it. But that goes to the other end of that play in Game seven of the World Series, where it's not as easy to catch a throw like that with the catcher's mint. Guys have told me that that have played the game. It's not a myt that is meant for that type of play. It's not a first baseman's mint. But I didn't see Henry Davis try to catch it and secured it with two hands. So that goes back to little league stuff as well. Trying to secure, especially as a catcher on a throw like that with two hands, I know he was reaching like a first baseman.
Speaker 1: But the point is that play that Rojas.
Speaker 2: Made in Game seven in the ninth inning last year was just as incredible as his home run with one out in the top of the ninth inning. So that took place, and that seventh inning took thirty six minutes. The Dodger forced the Pirate's pitching staff to throw eighty three pitches in that inning. So that was an incredible inning that I haven't seen in quite some time. The Dodgers scoring ten runs an inning that took thirty six minutes, and the game time overall was three hours and thirteen minutes. Dodgers beat the Pirates tonight, twelve to three. The Pirates have now lost five straight Paul Skeen starts, and you got a feel for Paul Skeens is doing everything in his power to try to win these starts. Just some weird things happening from what I was told by people that watch Pirates and Skiens games. And tonight, in the sixth inning, Max Munsey reached out on a change up by Paul Skeens and was able to pull it by Brandon Lowe, who as we know now is not really a great second basement to tie the game, and Mookie Betts tonight, Max Munsey and Mookie Bets to me had the two best at bats against Skeens tonight. Mooki in his first at bats double to left center field off of schemes and hopefully that's a huge confidence builder for the Dodgers shortstop.
Speaker 1: Let's hear from Mookie on sports and at LA.
Speaker 4: Oh it's awesome.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's I think the first person I've seen accomplished something like that. So he's been he's been around for a while, and he's been really good.
Speaker 4: For a while.
Speaker 6: So I think these things are coming up because because of that. You know, he's so good for so long.
Speaker 7: You guys look at that seventh inning, what.
Speaker 8: Do you how do you describe just what you guys were able to do, build up fads, pass the time there.
Speaker 4: We're able to take walks, hits.
Speaker 6: I mean, we kind of did everything that ending, So I think it just shows what we can do. I mean, obviously you would love to do that all the time, but it just shows that we're capable of it and we're just grinding, you know, just just grinding as a team twenty How do you put in toowards why that's so hard to.
Speaker 9: Achieve twenty five years?
Speaker 4: I don't, I don't, I don't really know.
Speaker 6: I mean, especially with the game now, it's so hard to get hits, but he keeps doing it. So I mean, I don't know if I don't know if there are really words to say, because there's so few people that are that are in that category. So it just shows you how he is as a player.
Speaker 4: Are you personally to just the two hits?
Speaker 5: I know that you've been kind of working through a few mechanical things offensively, you feel like you're kind of getting.
Speaker 4: Into more of a consistent feel with the stuff.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Every time I say, yeah, I go for thirty. So we'll just enjoy today.
Speaker 1: Let's enjoy today.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, the guy gotta double off of Paul's skeens, and all they asked him about was Freddie Freeman. But hey, Mookie's been there with Freddie for quite some time. I would say Muncie and MOOKI are the two teammates that Freddy has played with the most on the Dodgers currently, right now. So MOOKI has seen a lot of those. I believe Freddy has eight hundred hits now with the Dodgers, So Mookie certainly has been by Freddie side during the last few years. And look, I'll maintain this. I know Mookie Betts is hitting just about a buck ninety, but it looks like Mookie Betts has a greater chance of coming out of his slump more than Kyle Tucker, who again was hitless tonight, didn't even get a hit off a position player that was throwing in the ninth inning tonight. Dave Roberts was our guest before the game today and I had a chance to ask the Dodger manager about what's going on with Kyle Tucker, what his thoughts are how to get Tucker out of this. When we continue on Dodger Talk, you will hear from Dave Roberts. And also last night on off day Dodger Talk, in case you missed it, Chris Taylor had.
Speaker 1: His first official closure.
Speaker 2: Retirement interview with us, and you'll hear how it all went down. So a lot to get to, including your phone calls two lines a row on a night that Freddy Freeman collects his twenty five hundredth career base hit, and the Dodgers beat Paul Skeins and the Pirates twelve to three on the back to back World Champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy, la sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: This is Dodger Tom with David Bassi.
Speaker 8: I have Freddy Freeman's wins there. It is hit number twenty five hundred. It's a base hit to center. Freeman comes into score, Otani goes first to third.
Speaker 1: So Freddie Freeman with a milestone hit.
Speaker 8: Two thousand and five hundred career hits for Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they're asking for the bowl. Don't play it on fire. Just motion through the ball for the Dodgers. First base dougout for Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 1: The souvenir well earned.
Speaker 2: Freddy Freeman two hits tonight, including his twenty five hundredth career hit.
Speaker 1: Andy pie has hit a two run home.
Speaker 2: Ron Max Munsey was three for three with an RBI and on base all four times, and the Dodgers beat the Pirates tonight by a final score of twelve to three. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy LA sports dot com. Used the keyword home run in to your name, you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. This is Dodger Talk David Vasse with you until eight thirty tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And for the Dodgers tonight at p and C Park, only their second win in Pittsburgh since twenty twenty three. Coming into the game tonight, the Dodgers had lost six of their last seven at P and C Park. It has not been a player where the Dodgers have had a lot of success in recent memory. Not to mention when you go back to twenty nineteen, I believe it was Rich Hill had a no hitter that ended on a walk off home run by Josh Harrison in the bottom of the ninth inning. Because the Dodgers could not score a run. It was a scoreless tie with Hill throwing a no hitter going into the bottom of the ninth inning and Josh Harrison ended the game one to nothing on a walk off home run to left field, and that's one of the memories I have. Also, another memory I have is off the field, or actually on the field before a game in twenty seventeen, a complete solar eclips I still have photos of that being on the field with Justin Turner, Yasie Opuigue and the rest of the seventeen Dodgers with those glasses to protect your eyes when you looked up at the sun. Maybe I'll post that on X at the Real Underscore DV.
Speaker 1: Eight six six.
Speaker 2: It's nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Well, hear from Dave Roberts in just a moment. But let's go out to the phones.
Speaker 1: Rob in Rancho Kucamonga, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Rob?
Speaker 9: Oh, I'm doing great.
Speaker 4: David.
Speaker 9: Hey, thanks for taking my call. I've really really enjoyed all the interviews and just all the great insight you offer on the show over the year. So again, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: My pleasure. Thank you for the nice words.
Speaker 10: Rob absolutely day, if I want to run something by you, I've got you your opinion on these kinds of matters, and I think it's awesome that we're celebrating Freddie tonight. You've mentioned many times before and me being a Dodger fan going back to the nineteen seventies, right now is the golden age of Dodger baseball and Freddie is absolutely a future Hall of Famer, along with several other guys on this roster.
Speaker 9: As you will know later on this season. You know they're they're honoring a guy that you interviewed back at the Star of the Season, Reggie Smith. He's a legend of Dodger baseball, and David, I need you to leave the Reggie belongs in the Hall of Fame chat for us and really get out in front of that. I don't understand why Reggie does not get enough recognition with the numbers. When you look at the modern stats like Win's above replacement, Reggie's right there with current Hall of Famers. Anyway, would love to see him in the Hall of Fame. I think he's really deserving and would appreciate your thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're never going to get an argument for me when it comes to honoring Reggie Smith. And look, even Eric Carross told me that if Reggie Smith was playing in today's game, he would be considered one of the greatest players that is currently playing because of what he did, his style of play. He had over two thousand hits, twenty twenty hits. He did, hit three hundred and fourteen home runs, He had an ops of eight fifty five, he slugged forty nine. And look, I'm not going to say he doesn't belong in the Hall of Fame considering some of the guys they put in there already, But I think we can all agree that Reggie Smith had a great career, and maybe even more rare was that he has impacted just as many players as a coach. And since he stopped officially coaching with his Reggie Smith Acadamy Academy in Encino, how many great players do that play seventeen years in the big leagues, have one of the great careers you could ever wish for, and then as a coach, touch even more players' lives like Mike Piazza, Eric Carrow's Tim Wallack, just to name a few. So Reggie Smith, to me is a Hall of Famer for the person he is and the legacy that he has left that will go on after he's long gone, and he's not long gone. He's got a lot more to live on this beautiful around Coyle, as Vince Scully would say. But what's great about Reggie Smith is that his teachings, his academy, the coaches that he has taught, the players now that are older, that are coaches, will carry his legacy forward. And whatever Reggie Smith believed in as far as hitting goes, and what he stood for will live for a very long time, even after I'm gone from this mortal coil as well. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number speaking of Reggie Smith. Maybe he can help Kyle Tucker. Maybe Kyle Tucker can go see Reggie Smith and in Cino, because Tucker is struggling. He's sitting two thirty three. His ops is seven to eleven after going oh for three tonight. He did walk twice, so that's encouraging. But it's been an enigma to start his Dodger career. Nobody seems to have a real answer why. Maybe the only person that has come close is no mar Garciapara on Sportsnet LA talking about his overstriding. But here's what manager Dave Roberts had to say during our pregame conversation during the managers meeting presented by our friends at Downy Hunday, Kyle Tucker, You've been asked a lot about him. I thought it was interesting that Michael Conforto admitted last week that he was trying to keep up with the big boys on your team. That was a real candid answer. Do you feel in some ways that Tucker may have fallen into that same trap?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think that it's certainly it's a big room.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of star power in our room, and regardless of who you are to come into this is certainly daunting, can be daunting as a very open, friendly clubhouse. But I certainly think as peers and you kind of try to play the comparison game, which is pretty tough. And yeah, Michael, I guess admitted that a couple weeks ago, and we had a good heart to heart, you know, probably a little later than it should have been, but you know, I was always a big fan, and it wasn't for lack of trying in preparation and just sort of talk to him about getting back to himself and not comparing and trying to you know, you know, be the athlete and fight for everything you've got because that's how we got to the big leagues. And I think it resonated with him, and you know, we didn't get to kind of see the fruits of that in the postseason, but he is obviously having a great year this year, and I do think that, you know, Kyle might be in that similar boat. I haven't had that conversation with him yet, but I'm still trying to learn him. And as a manager, you don't want to push too much too soon and sort of push players away. But I'm gaining more information every day with Kyle. But I will say the last couple of games he's been better. We gave him a day off in that Philly series. I think that was a benefit, and then so he'll get two out of three. He had two out of the three days off with the off day to come in come in fresh with this series. So we'll see. But I'm keeping a watchful eye on him.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: There's Dave Roberts, and certainly he's keeping a watchful eye on him. And maybe he learned something from what Michael Confordo revealed as far as him trying to keep up with the Otani's and the ta Oscar hernandez Is and the Freddie Freemans. Maybe Tucker is trying to do that in a subconscious way. Whatever it is, it hasn't gone well for Tucker to start.
Speaker 1: His Dodger career.
Speaker 2: And I go back to nineteen ninety one, a big signing in its own right. Darryl Strawberry signed at that time the richest contract in baseball history with the Dodgers. He also had the added pressure of coming home. He's from Crenshaw Crenshaw High School, so he had all that fanfare, and the first half with the Dodgers he was not very good. He only hit five home runs that first half of his first season with the Dodgers in nineteen ninety one, which was his best year because he finished with twenty eight home runs and ninety nine RBIs. I believe, you know, the first half for Kyle Tucker is probably.
Speaker 1: Still going to be a grind.
Speaker 2: But you just hope that the second half of the season we can see the Kyle Tucker that we've seen the majority of his career. He had a wrist injury the second half of last year, who knows if that's still lingering or if he got into some bad habits because of it. But I just think that for the rest of this first half, I don't see Kyle.
Speaker 1: Tucker going on a three week tear. Just from what we've seen so far.
Speaker 2: I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden, he's showing up at P and C Park and he's gonna go on a three week hot streak. It could happen. I just don't see it happening, And that's my opinion. I do see him resetting at the All Star All Star Break like Strawberry did, and come back and have a monster second half. I think that's the best optimistic type of approach you can believe. If you're around the Dodgers, you're trying to help this guy figure it out, so the second half of the year and going into the postseason, he can help you more than he's done so far. And you hope that Dave Roberts reinforces what Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts talked about when they signed Tucker. They need more from him in right field. They need him to jump on balls, sit down the line, They need him to really scoop up those ground balls that are hit on the grass and get to the balls in the gap, because we haven't seen that consistently this year. And that's something the Dodgers challenged Kyle Tucker to be is a better right fielder to be able to get the ball to the infield, because I could tell you this talking to coaches and players on other teams this year, the word is out Kyle Tucker at the very best on the scouting scale of twenty to eighty fifty being somewhat average. I guess he's fifty at the best. Everybody knows that he's not coming up and charging the ball. They know if you hit a ball down the line, you can be a little bit more aggressive on him to try to take that extra base. So I know the Dodgers are aware of that. He's just got to be better, not only offensively, but also defensively. And who knows, maybe the offense is in his head when he's standing out there and right field, taking his glove off, putting it back on.
Speaker 1: Watch him.
Speaker 2: He's taking his glove off right before the pitch is thrown and putting it back on. All those things I'm sure are a product of him struggling at the plate the first half of the season with the Dodgers. So that's my take on the whole Tucker situation, And the only thing I can draw upon is experience and seeing guys that came to the Dodgers. Yes, completely different circumstances with Strawberry in ninety one, and we all know that it went downhill after his first year with the Dodgers for off the field reasons. Tucker's not going through that. But when you talk about high expectations, a big salary, sixty million dollars, you're playing on the back to back defending champions, the brightest spotlight, biggest stage in baseball, there is an adjustment period for a guy that doesn't like the attention. So my feeling is the second half is where it's got to be for Kyle Tucker because I just don't see it happening the rest of the first half of the season. Yeah he may have a couple of moments. Yeah he may get a couple of hits in a game. Yeah he may help out, But I just don't see him going on a three week tear starting tomorrow eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of Tucker as well, It's incredible to me because when he signed with the Dodgers, one of the things that stood out to me the most was how good of a hitter he was at Dodger Stadium. He hasn't been that good of a hitter at Dodger Stadium. In fact, he's been a much better hitter on the road then he's been at Dodgers Stadium. So you wonder if all that is playing into it as well. So that's that's that's my take on Kyle Tucker. The second half is going to be Tucker's half for this season. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number tonight. Dalton Rushing played a big part in the Dodgers win, especially with his great base running in the seventh inning where he went first to third and also Henry Davis trying to backpick him at third base. Back dorm at third base, he was able to do what Eric Carross mentioned on sports Net LA and not dive back to third base but hold his ground stand up going back to third base to force the catcher to make a tough throw. It hits him in the back and he scores and that was the beginning of the end for the Pirates in that ten run seventh inning for the Dodgers. I bring that up because Dalton Rushing was starting his third straight game because Will Smith missed his third straight game with that neck issue, and Dave Roberts conceded the Dodgers are considering putting Smith on the IL. And if you're wondering who the Dodgers' third catcher is at Oklahoma City, it's not Ben Roartfitt. It's a guy they brought into camp named Elizier Alfonso. And if the Dodgers do put Will Smith on the IL, I predict they'll call this guy up. Alfonso up because pitchers told me during spring training they really like throwing to him. He was a really good receiving catcher. He's an experienced guy. He's been in the league for professional baseball, I believe seven years. So remember that name. If Will Smith does eventually go on the IL, Alizia Alfonso will be Dalton Rushings back up until Will Smith figures out whatever his next issue is. Eight nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Pirates tonight twelve to three on a night that Paul skeins when six innings, allowed just two earned runs and struck out seven. Eric Lower started this game for the Dodgers and held his own. You thought it might be a high scoring affair after Lower gave up back to back home runs to Brian Reynolds and Ryan O'Hearn in the first inning, but after that, Lower did not give up a run. Five and two thirds, five strikeouts, no walks on those two solo home runs. Back to back home runs were the only runs that Lower gave up. So when three starts, I would say Lower's fared pretty well. Two out of the three have been really good. He's gone into the sixth inning and two out of the three, so I would say holding down the fort pretty well until the Dodgers get Blake Snell back, and you know, whenever Tyler Glasnow comes back, River Ryan's looming as well. River Ryan now is fully built up. If the Dodgers need to create another extra off day, or if they want to give one of their starters a breather, River Ryan is ready to go, pitching really well for Oklahoma City. Before we say good night, I want to share with you what Chris Taylor told us last night, and you'll hear the full conversation or part of the full conversation tomorrow on the pregame show. But Chris Taylor joined us on Off Day Dodger Talk last night and shared with us what the real story was about the reports that he retired, unretired, and then retired again.
Speaker 11: The way it all went down was kind of strange. I didn't I wasn't anticipating making it public, and then it ended up getting leaked, I guess, and then and then people thought I was unretiring, and it was like kind of embarrassing. So then I was like, Okay, now I have to say something. But no, it was all fine. It was It was cool after I'm made the post or after it came out, seeing all the support. I got a lot of very nice texts, and yeah, it's cool to see all the love, especially from Dodgers fans. Obviously playing almost ten years with them, and you know, still I still think they're the best fans in baseball. And yeah, it always feels good to know that you were appreciated a lot of.
Speaker 2: Love from Dodger fans. When Chris Taylor announced his retirement and he showed a lot of love back to Dodger fans during his playing career and during that interview. To hear the full conversation, go to Dodger Talk on the iHeartRadio app and you can download the entire interview with Chris Taylor from last night and interesting, right how things go down. People want to be the first, they want to jump on the story, and there was never any indecision. Chris Taylor was retiring period and he shared and set the record straight last night on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: That'll do it for us.
Speaker 2: Tonight tomorrow show, Hey Otani will be on the mound at PNC Park. Otani and sixty one innings this year has allowed just five earned runs that translates to a zero seventy four era. His record is six and two going up against another local kid, Southern California kid and Jared Jones, who and only two starts this year is one to zero with an ERA of four eighty two. Tomorrow, our coverage begins with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck at two thirty. First pitch from P and C Park with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett at three forty and I wanted to remind you Downy Hunday are my good friends. Go see Sam and the crew this Thursday at Downy Hunday. They are going to have a World Cup watch party throughout.
Speaker 1: The World Cup.
Speaker 2: And also they're giving away a bunch of prizes this Thursday. And I think I saw on their social media they may have Tike It's to.
Speaker 1: The World Cup as well.
Speaker 2: This Thursday at Downey Hunday, show up and tell him. Dodger Talk and David Vass sent you, and who knows, you may even pick up a great down Downy Hyundai car. It's it's not just a car dealership. I'm telling you, it's it's something else, all right. Thanks to Colin you back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald at P and C Park in Pittsburgh, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our interviews, you know where to find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again, the Dodgers scored ten runs in the seventh inning and beat the.
Speaker 1: Pirates twelve to three. Have a great rest of your night, See you and It's true.
Speaker 2: Seven Away