Speaker 1: The following is an exclusive presentation of Seattle Rainsucker on Sports Radio nine fifty kJ.
Speaker 2: Good evenings from lumen Field and hello to rain on the radio. You are listening to a broadcast for Seattle Rain FC. My name is Jackson Feltz. I'm alongside Stephanie Vrdoya. We are taking you all the way through this year's inock. You old came at Lumenfield. The Seattle rain have of course been playing the regular season for quite a few weeks. Now they enter this match day at three to one and one here on the season side for second place in all of NWSL, the league that they plan here in the United States.
Speaker 3: Very very good start to twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: We will welcome you to this first game from lumen Field as they have been playing away from lumen for a while. Of course, Lumenfield was undergoing a transformation getting grass put down for the World Cup here in a couple months. So the Rain have been both on the road and over in Spokane for a few weeks and they have been playing very very well and now return home to face the Utah Royals. Welcome into the broadcast booth. Like I said, Jackson Felt, Stephanie Rduya. We have Kwamea Paie as well on the sideline today for our entire broadcast, and we are just about twenty minutes away from kickoff for Seattle Rain and Utah Royals. Stephanie couldn't ask for a better night for soccer here as the sun is setting on Lumen. We got about just under sixty degrees. Perfect weather for soccer here in Seattle.
Speaker 4: It's absolutely perfect weather. I mean most of the time in April. You know, you can get some showers here, and we've already seen that that can impact the plane service here when it's turf. It definitely can impact it when it's grass. But we have the grass. It looks great. The sun is shining. And we also have a very special guest in the house tonight.
Speaker 2: You want to introduce her. This is quite an honor of who we have here.
Speaker 4: Next, Yume, I think I can introduce her. It's actually very stressful.
Speaker 5: Emma Hayes.
Speaker 4: Everyone, Ema Hayes, the legend.
Speaker 2: Coach of the United States women's national team. Emma Hayes, it truly is an honor to have you in our booth here today. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Well, thank you for having me as always a pleasure to come into the booth of those that are commentating or navigating through a game.
Speaker 2: I am very.
Speaker 6: Impressed with this board that I see in front of me, with all the key details about the players.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that. That is that's a humbling thing to hear.
Speaker 2: Well. Listen, you obviously brought in the United States women's national team just very recently in that game against Japan, and I wanted to first just talk about the atmosphere that was here in this building a couple of weeks ago, record crowd obviously, so many fat, tens of thousands of Seattle fans came out to support you to what was that atmosphere awake?
Speaker 7: It was? It was magnificent, it really was.
Speaker 6: This is a part of the country I know the team feels very strongly about, and we know that it's a massive soccer hotbed up here. I'm just disappointed we didn't give him a bit more entertainment. I mean, not through a lack of will, I might say, but maybe a lack of experience. But the crowd were I think on a really cold, wet night, provided a little bit of sparkle to quite you know, a very difficult performance.
Speaker 2: Well, at least in those three games against Japan, you guys did get two wins, so overall in those three squad looks very good. As you prepare, of course for the World Cup next year, there's a lot of things we want to talk to you about and a lot of different players, especially on the RIEN. I do want to start on the youth angle, because there is a number of players, young players with Seattle RENFC here who are coming up through the ranks of the U twenty squad. Like you look right now at a Damas Sa Daniel Orstein McCammon, all coming up. How closely are you watching their development through the entire United States system.
Speaker 6: Well, one of the things we've done since I've come into the job is aligned from top to bottom WNT all the way through YNT. So our first priority is identify the core players that will compete.
Speaker 7: For the twenty seven World Cups.
Speaker 6: So we have a cluster of about thirty five players that will do that. Extended from that will be the pool players, and it could involve some of those players, but they are also considered the high potential group. So we break it down into the twenty seven group, the twenty eight group, the thirty one group. So the group you've just described, they are the players that could very well be on the CUSP for the twenty eight Olympics, but more likely to be considered for thirty one. So I've always thought of myself as a developer, and of course you can't just play for today, you have to play for tomorrow.
Speaker 7: So of course I'm watching everyone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's incredible for say, to have someone with your ability to see players through that process and connecting the different age groups. But talk about youth, you have some in your COUR core group as well, I mean teenagers. When I was back in the system, I mean we had it was experience. It was players that had been in there for years, for decades even, and it is so exciting. You are coaching some of the most incredible youngest athletes in the world. So speaking to that, what are some of the old quality is that you look for with your youngest players in that COUR group to know that they're ready for the biggest stitch.
Speaker 6: I think one of the things I've been impressed by, and maybe years of being a club coach too, is the game has become younger and more professional, and as a result of that, the behaviors that these players have, whether it's everything around the other twenty two hours they seem to have in lockstep. Whether they've got psychologists, whether they've got nutritionists, whether they've got recovery strategies, whatever that might be. They've figured that out at younger age, and half the time it's getting that piece right. I think what is probably required from my end is getting them to understand the most important things within that, not everything. Because they want it so much, they think it's about accumulating lots of different things instead of probably not what's the right things we need to take from it, and most importantly, what can you learn from the seniors in the group. So I think they're better prepared as a result of it. I think the old game has got younger. If you think about the average age of the Olympic winning team of the World Cup winning team by Spain, they're much younger ages.
Speaker 7: So we have to give them the opportunities.
Speaker 2: We mentioned that the seniors there and not that they are older players, but there certainly are. We have rain players who are part of that senior team. I know Stephanie wants to talk about Claudia Dickey, of course, but I want to talk to you about the other four who just got debuts with that.
Speaker 3: Senior team here recently.
Speaker 2: In Bug Mezza d'Alene Menti, what do you like about each of their games? What have you seen as they have made their debuts with your squad.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think in Jordan Bug is a player that has the ability to build from the deepest spaces with composure that I think is required at the top level. I think she's got the temperament, quiet character, but confident in her abilities. I think she will progress to be a US woman's national team player on a regular basis. When that is is again, you know, so just how she matures the maturation process is important, so I want to give her the right exposures. I think for Sally Menti, again, I've coached her a couple of camps now, I think she's another huge prospect, very tricky midfielder. I always say she reminds me of Toburn Heath, but as a central midfield player, I praise Yeah. I told Tobin that she reminded me a little bit of her. I think she's got an eye for a pass. I think she's one player who needs to get all the other twenty two hours, right, and she needs the experiences and the exposures. I think it's I think it's a natural progression. She'll move through the ranks of you know, under twenty threes. I think she has to solidify her position there. I think Sam Maser I always talk about Sam being a player that's come from you know, a college system, up to pro bounce, back down, goes back up again, really tidy midfielder. Her short passing game is excellent. I think she's somebody who can contribute. It's the huge competition for places. I know in my conversations with Laura Harvey, we know we're really challenging her to play a slightly longer game and her progressive passing.
Speaker 7: But I think she's still a good prospect.
Speaker 6: And Maddie Darlene I think can be dynamite on that left hand side. I just think she needs to develop experiences, but I think she's got all the qualities. And me officiu are I know from my Chelsea days, I know she's working back to top fitness. So I spoke with Leslie Gallimore before the game. They're very excited about where she's at and hopefully she gets some minutes tonight.
Speaker 4: So yeah, continuing on the siaalare and train Claudia Dicky. So she's been in she's done some great things. What is the one thing you want to see in her development in these next fourteen months before that big World Cup.
Speaker 6: She knows, she knows exactly what I wanted from her. I believe in behaviors, and what I know that was somebody like Claudia who's got unbelievable composure and calm. The shadow side to that is sometimes it can be just a little.
Speaker 7: Bit too calm.
Speaker 6: So I want her training habits to be on point. When I compare her to the very, very best goalkeepers and their training habits, I think she's got to close the gap with that. If she closes that gap, which I'm fully confident she will, I think she can challenge to be the best in the world.
Speaker 7: But she has to close that gap.
Speaker 6: And I've made that very clear to her that I want training to become a passion for her. I want it to become the most important thing she does, and even getting here today, like I want to see a warm up, I want to see what those behaviors look like, and if she's taking on those messages and I very much hope.
Speaker 2: She does well. Head coach Emma Hayes of the United States women's national team, we will let you go check out warm ups. This has been an honor to have you in our booth here for what is it our first segment of our first rain broadcast of the entire season. What a start. Thank you so much for joining us. Thanks for having me Head coach Emma Hayes of the United States women's national team. What a joy to have here in her in the booth, Stephanie, How cool was that?
Speaker 4: I mean to be able to hear from a coach who also is very clear, very honest. We've talked about this with Laura Harvey as well, really shares her perspective. She's telling us what she tells Claudia Dicky a locker and what she wants to see so she can be on that World Cup team.
Speaker 8: I was.
Speaker 2: And you know what's cool about it is normally when you talk to a national team coach, there might be a player or two from your squad. Hey, you know, like, you know, let's just say that, you know, for the for the men's side, right if we're all you know, Christian Roldan, the one Sounders player you know, we could be talking about on the roster for the World Cup. Here we listed off almost what is it ten players that are in the development to potentially be on the team for this coming World Cup next year, for the Olympics the following year, and for as she mentioned, years and years in the future.
Speaker 3: This is a Rain squad.
Speaker 2: If you are a fan of the United States women's national team as well, you will be seeing these Rain players for years on the national team.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and that should be so exciting for fans for young kids playing in the area.
Speaker 5: You're right, we haven't.
Speaker 4: I think Emma is right in that she's maybe one of the first coaches in a long time that has been able to really tie some of these age groups together U eighteen, e twenty three all the way up to the full team, and that ability for players to learn from other players and train those habits, just like she was talking about with Dickey and other players in this Rain team. They're getting that every day with coach Laura Harvey with the seniors on this team, and they're able to develop those habits even when they're not in camp, and that is just an incredible way to bring the best soccer to the Pacific Northwest.
Speaker 2: And for those who may have not followed these last three games for the women's national team, they faced Japan in three friendlies. It was in San Francisco, it was here in Seattle, then it was in Denver.
Speaker 3: Three games.
Speaker 2: She brought all of the top players for these games, and in two of those three games, Claudia Dickey, the Seattle ring goalkeeper, was the United States starting goalkeeper. You just read the tea leaves and I'm somebody who very much tries to look in to you know, what coaches are doing, you know, not saying and when I see two or three games our keeper is their keeper, I'm saying, all right, Claudia Dickie is in the driver's seat to be the starting goalkeeper for not only probably the World Cup next year, but then the Olympics. Theory, I mean, it's just the sky is the limit for Claudia Dickey. It's gonna be very exciting in the years ahead for all of the Rain players who are part of the national team. Okay, that was such an amazing conversation. But there is also a game tonight that we need to talk about. Rain are here to face off against the Utah Royals here again. The rain have started the season three one in one in NWSL. Tonight is the sixth game. Tonight's the first game here at lumin Field for the rain in twenty twenty six. We'll take a break, We'll come back and get your set for Rain Royals. That comes up next on Sports Radio nine to fifty KJR AM.
Speaker 9: It's Mike Congrin. My years of coaching taught me the value of smart decisions. If you're looking for a great vehicle, Toyota of Kirkland makes that choice easy. Toyota of Kirkland's pre owned inventory is loaded with dependable cars, trucks and SUVs, all inspected, all priced right, and all ready to drive home today. Stop in today or visit Toyotafkirkland dot com and experience why they're the number one Toyota dealership in the Northwest. Toyota Kirkland the right call every time, progressive nose. You could have easily taken the freeway when you took the scenic route to see a waterfall and an oddly busy boiled peanut stand. Discovering the unexpected is exactly why you bought an RV, so protect it with a bundle from Progressive, because although you may be three hours behind schedule, you're six yards of jam richer and possibly enrolled in a butter chur named workshop. Switch to Progressive and protect your RV votor motorcycle by bundling with your home and auto insurance Progressive Casualty Insurance Company. I Feel gets a third PTY in sorscuntvailable in all staters.
Speaker 10: Sitch volume price, see huge selection and it's all happening. And to coma Dodge Chrysler Jeep and Ram.
Speaker 11: Hi Umplibum is over the huge to Comma Dodge Tresure Jep in Ramp and we've got unbeatable deals on over three hundred new Jeep.
Speaker 10: Four x fours and Ram trucks.
Speaker 11: To discover a massive selection of new Jeep four by fours right now, including the legendary Jeep Grand Jeroche, the most awarded sub ever.
Speaker 10: We're making it easy. Just come see us and scoring criminal savings like this right now. Lisa New twenty twenty six cheap wrangler Willi's four x four including all estimated taxes and fees for just four to thirty six a month for thirty six months, save up to nine thousand off msrp on new twenty twenty five Jeep Grand Cheroitchy four by fours starting at just thirty two thousand and nine ninety Or get extreme off road capability and Lisa New twenty twenty six Jeep Gladiator Mahaffee four x four for just four seventy seven a month for thirty nine months. With over one.
Speaker 11: Hundred and fifty jeeps available, We've got you covered, We've got financiing for everyone, and we're paying crazy prices for your trade in no matter where you live, visit Tacoma jeep dot com or see when you get here. It's all happening right here on the corner thirty eighth Inn southdacombe Away.
Speaker 10: The intersection of savings Declaration of deals is on now see the coma j dot com for details. Are called pound two fifty key word nugi.
Speaker 12: All right, golf fans, this is your last chance to get your hands on the twenty twenty six Around the Sound Golf Pass your opportunity to golf nine of the best courses in the Northwest for just two nineteen Do the math. That's less than twenty five bucks around It's fantastic news. But here's the catch. There are only a few left, and when they're gone, they're gone. So don't miss your chance to play amazing courses like Avalon, Lakeland Village, the Cedars at dungeons.
Speaker 2: Port, Ludlow and more.
Speaker 12: Get your golf season off to a great start and give your wallet a break from regular greens fees. Are you around the sound Golf Pass pick them up while they last at Seattle golf Pass dot com your home for.
Speaker 1: The odd couple weekdays four to seven on Sports Radio nine fifty KJI.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to lumin Field, Seattle Rain facing off tonight against the Utah Royals. Here as the sun is setting on Lumenfield, it's a beautiful night for soccer in Seattle. Let's get to the starting lineup for your Seattle Rain to night. Claudia Dicky goal Madison Curry is going to be your right back, so Fia sorry, your left back, Sophia howertz A, You're right back. Emily Macy, Phoebe mcclernan are your center backs. Sam Mesit, jefs Fischlock and Sally.
Speaker 3: Menti are your midfielders. And then your forwards.
Speaker 2: Maddie Mercado, Britney Ratcliffe and Coco Mandasier are those forwards. Stephanie Verdoya Jackson Feltz coming to you for tonight's game, Stephanie, what are your keys to this match tonight's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's going to be early success and early pressure from the Rain. We heard it from Lara Harvey earlier in the week. She talked about the press then meaning to really disrupt how the Royals build out of the back. To do that, they're going to put some pressure on the keeper. They're going to fly numbers forward. If they're able to do that successfully early because this Rain team has scored most of their goals in the first half of their games. If they're able to do that early, they set the stage. They're able to dictate the pace of the game, and then they take away some of that chaos that the Royals do live on. The Royals are a very fast paced transitional team. On the flip side, if the Royals are able to kind of get in behind the Rain as they're pressing high, we might see some disruption from the Rain on.
Speaker 5: The other side.
Speaker 2: Let's get to our CBS team health report right now. Four players on the injury report. We have lynbian Dolo, she's out on maternity leave, and then Jordan Bug has a leg injury. She had a leg injury in February and March. She's now out again. Sophia Sadenie out with a leg injury, and Ruby Flodick also out with a leg injury. We'll take one more break for the national anthem. We'll be back for kickoff. It's Seattle rain Utah Royals coming up on Sports Radio nine fifty KJR.
Speaker 13: AM Rainiers Fans Copa de la Diversion is in full swing this spring and summer. Come and join us with a classic celebration of our Latin community with delicious food, authentic music, and exciting entertainment as the Rainiers transform into La Familia dayta Koma. On top of all that, five dollars from every b ECU COPA ticket package purchased goes to support the Puget Sound Educational Service Districts Valley of Esperanza program. Don't miss out on the fun, Get your tickets now. It's Tacoma Rainiers dot com, somos Tacoma.
Speaker 10: Vullyme Crisis, huge selection and it's all happening in took I'm a Dodge Chrysler Jeep and ramp.
Speaker 11: High amplibimm is over the huge to come a Dodge Trusure Jep in Ramp, and we've got unbeatable deals on over three hundred new Jeep four x fours and Ram trucks. Discover a massive selection of new GP four by fours right now, including the legendary Jeep Grand Jeroche, the most awarded sub ever.
Speaker 10: We're making it easy. Just come see us and scoring credible savings like this right now. Lisa New twenty twenty six Cheap Wrangler Willia's four by four including all estimated taxes and fees for just four to thirty six a month for thirty six months. Save up to nine thousand off MSRP on New twenty twenty five Cheap Grand Cherochy four by four starting at just thirty two thousand and nine to ninety or get extreme off road capability and Lisa New twenty twenty six Cheep Gladiator Mahaffe four by four for just four seventy seven a month for thirty nine months. With over one.
Speaker 11: Hundred and fifty Jeps available, We've got you covered. We've got financial for everyone, and we're paying crazy prices for your trade in no matter where you live, visit Tacoma jeep dot com or see when you get here.
Speaker 10: It's all happening right here on the corner thirty eight then south dakobe away. The intersection of savings Declaration of deals is on now. See Tacoma jeep dot com for details. Are called pound two fifty keyword nud G Welcome, Ho.
Speaker 4: Do you can?
Speaker 5: I love that you're home from college.
Speaker 14: I've missed you.
Speaker 2: Still taking your Nature Made vitamins every.
Speaker 5: Day, a multivitamin and a probiotic. You better be taking yours.
Speaker 14: Still looking out for me, mom, I'll never stop made to care for you every day. Nature Made the number one pharmacist recommended vitamin and supplement brand find us in the vitamin aisle, based on a survey of pharmacists who recommend branded vitamins and supplements.
Speaker 15: Here's some straight talk from the Sunset Auto family. We've all seen the ads online and on.
Speaker 10: TV ten fifteen, twenty thousand below.
Speaker 15: MISSRP, I'll throu Sunbad Hell. You get the idea, so you go to the dealership and here it comes. They point out the eighty bity fine print that the vehicle advertised is actually used maybe more than a couple of mile of years old with high miles, and was a rental at some airport. Getting beat today, But hey, they got you to the dealership. Now they're going to try to sell you something else. Oh, and that's why the Carbis has the reputation it has. Set always tells the truth about pricing. All dealers pay the same from the factory. There's absolutely no competitive advantage in pricing or factory incentives.
Speaker 10: So it's not what you pay, it's what you get. And you just get more at Sunset.
Speaker 15: Like warrant protection for life and IO changes for life included with every single qualifying vehicle a Sunset exclusive.
Speaker 10: Now listen.
Speaker 15: If the price sounds too good to be true, trust me it is. You just get more at Sunset, like the truth about pricing, and people do like that.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to lumen Field and welcome back to our first Seattle Rain broadcast of twenty twenty six, Jackson Felt, Stephanie Vrdoya. We have kwame Aplia on the sideline for our broadcast tonight. Thank you so much for tuning us in here on Sports Radio nine fifty KJR AM. We appreciate your doing so as we begin this Rain schedule here on radio for this year, we have but ten games that are gonna be on radio throughout twenty twenty six, this being the first of them, and we look forward to taking you through this Rain season and bringing you all of the hopeful victories for Laura Harvey's squad. Of course, Laura Harvey one of the absolute legends in NWSL. The English coach managed Arsenal a while ago. Her first stint with the Rain from twenty thirteen to twenty seventeen. Of course, had wild success with that NWSL Coach of the Year in twenty fourteen and twenty fifteen as the team soared to enormous success, and then when it actually coached with the team that Seattle is facing today, the Utah Royals, spent a couple of years in Utah twenty eighteen twenty nineteen, and then returned to Seattle in twenty twenty one, and today is Laura Harvey's two hundred and fiftieth game coaching Seattle Rain. Stephanie, it's a mountain of a day for her. She definitely kind of played that off in the conversations before this game, but certainly for everybody to be able to acknowledge and on her what a key person she has been in all of Seattle soccer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think it's you know, saying too much to say that she is the most incredible coach in the league.
Speaker 5: I mean the most, she has, the most wins.
Speaker 4: She now has two hundred and fifty under her belt for one club.
Speaker 5: I mean every club would kill to have.
Speaker 4: That kind of longevity, that consistency that an amazing coach can bring to a squad, to player development, to connections throughout the youth system. I mean, she is it. It's really hard to think I'm another coach that comes close to her. But she deserves all the records, even though she doesn't want to talk about it, even though she'll push it onto the players, and that's what.
Speaker 5: A great coach does.
Speaker 4: But she has earned every bit of these two hundred and fifty games that she's put forward for the Seattle Range.
Speaker 2: She certainly does. We are just moments from getting this game underway. The Rain entering today are off to a pretty darn good start here in twenty twenty six. They're tied coming into this match day with second place in NWS Salis, we get this game starred Jeess Fishlock kicks it back to Claudia Dicky, who will send this ball long forward and we get this game underway here from lumen Field. If you're just joining us here, we welcome you to our first Seattle Rain broadcast for twenty twenty six. If you are just turning into a soccer fan, with of course the World Cup for the men this year and for the World Cup for the women next year, we welcome you to the beautiful game and we will have this forty five minute first half and then Seattle Rain. Of course, with a tremendous record here at lumen Field over recent years, the team that has shifted their home a few times us to play Memorial Stadium. As a ball is a dangerous one into the box for Utah and a chance here for them to attack shot and that is into the back of the net. Fifty one seconds into this game Utah Royal score. We're just setting up the scene and Utah capitalized on a defensive mistake at the back for Seattle and the Royals jump on the rain early.
Speaker 4: Stephanie, Yeah, and it seems really just like an unfortunate pass back there. There was a little bit of miss miscommunication betweens whether or not Dickie was coming out or Phoebe at mclernan with there was really winning back in to get that ball in front of the Royals forward and she gets on the other side of her and is able to place a really well placed shot into that back corner that backup er b and so for our post, it's hard to defend there.
Speaker 5: You know, Dicky probably couldn't have gone to it.
Speaker 4: But really the thing that the Rain's going to come back to you on that goal is how they gave it away from their own back line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is a tough giveaway inside the box, and nothing Dicky can do on this shot is just extremely extremely well placed there for the goal in the first minute of this game. So here we go. The Rain will be playing from one down and here's a ball slipping on through trying to find an attacker here at the start of this game. But Claudia Dicky in goal for the Rain. We'll send that one out and just roll it out. And now you wonder, Stephanie, how the Rain will play the first fifteen You we always talk about, you know, setting themselves up in any soccer game and taking that first fifteen minutes, you're getting your legs under you, you know, and now you kind of maybe.
Speaker 3: Have to change the strategy a little bit.
Speaker 2: In advanced numbers for it is another big mistake here, Claudia Dicky nearly giving the ball Awaity Utah right in front of her goal, but thankfully Seattle.
Speaker 3: I would call it this one.
Speaker 2: It's one of those things, Stephanie, where you can't make the mistakes now because to nothing early in the game puts you in extremely bad spot.
Speaker 4: It really does, and especially because we saw that mistake again just now from a thurn and trying to pass back to Dickie too soft of a pass that was easily able to be picked off.
Speaker 5: You're looking for that.
Speaker 4: Laura Harvey wants her team to respond one zero in the first couple of minutes. That's nothing. We have a ninety minute game to come back to. You saw her get up out of her chair. She started clapping to her team. She said, let's go now. What she doesn't want to see is that exact same mistake made five minutes later, which just happened. And the Royals, as people have mentioned throughout the week, they are a team that likes to cause chaos. They like to high press. We're seeing that already. They're putting defenders under pressure. The Rain need to be able to build through the game. They need to keep the ball. Dickey has it at her feet now, she's able.
Speaker 5: To swing it around this back line, and what they're looking for.
Speaker 4: Is to build out of the back and get this away from their defensive end. Get it up to Fishlock, get it to the ball to Fishlock, get it up the field and she found.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's exactly what happened, where they get the ball to Jeff Fishlock and she is found and she's down now holding her lower back. And of course we haven't even mentioned on the broadcast yet. The major major news with the Seattle Rain earlier this week the legend Jess Fishlock, the person who has been here from the very very start for Seattle Rain, the thirty nine year old from Wales. She announced earlier this week that this season will be her last. Jeff Fishlock announced on Tuesdays she will retire at the end of the year and there will be a Queen's Match on Friday, October second where you will be honored.
Speaker 3: The announcemental also came.
Speaker 2: Thirteen years to the day since her first rain goal on April twenty first, twenty thirteen, and she is if anybody can bring that calm, composure in confidence to this team down one nothing early, it is Jeff Fishlock.
Speaker 5: Absolutely and the intensity.
Speaker 4: I have actually never practiced with a player more intense than Jeff Fishlock and she does it every day, and so she is absolutely going to lead this team back into getting into it, having them be on the front foot of the pressure.
Speaker 2: Here's a giveaway Utah dribbing into the box, a chance to shoot at goal, and it does take a deflection, it will be gound for a Utah corner. Here in the fifth minutes, as the Royals are leading one to nothing, let's go down on the sideline with a third member of our crew today.
Speaker 16: Kwameapaya, Hey everybody. So today it's an energetic start to the game. Now it does seem like there's a little bit of nerves, but that's okay. You know, it's first game actually playing in movement for the year, and everybody's a little bit rouled up. So I think right now it's just about settling, getting into the game, getting into the tempo as we heard earlier.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of time on this clock.
Speaker 16: So it's just about managing it, getting in behind, shaking off the nerves. If we can get one or two attacks in, I think we'll start really, really really getting into the game.
Speaker 2: Well, here's Utah setting up for this corner right hand raised, and here comes the n swinger going to the towards the backpost, headed away by our Rain midfielder and it will still go out. But this will be another corner here in the southeast corner here of lumen Field and nice job there to clear the danger by Brittany Ratcliffe Afford for the Rain. As they will hold up play for just a moment, we will see they were now going to rule this corner here going to the other side, and an opportunity here for the Utah Royals again Rain in their search kids today in all blue Utah and yellowtops in dark blue bottoms for today's game. As they set up here for this inswinging corner, it will go towards the top of the box. Chance for the Ring to cut that out, but it stays with Utah. Shot from distance goes wide and it's into the back of the net.
Speaker 3: From about twenty two yards out.
Speaker 2: That is an absolute screamer from n Narumi Mira who gets a long distance goal pass Claudia Dicky. We'll get another look at this one. But now the Utah Royals have come into Seattle and they now have a two nothing lead six and a half minutes into this game.
Speaker 4: And again we talked about the pressure of the press from the attacking half, but what we're not seeing right now is actually the pressure defensively.
Speaker 5: This is a setback pass off of a corner kick.
Speaker 4: So not only were they unable to clear that first pass, they missed the second one. They got it back to a wide open player for the Royals top of the box, able to just it does deflect. It's a really hard shot for Dicky to get to it, but I mean that player should not have that much time outside the eighteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a shot that was going to be right at Claudia Dickie. But you can see here on the replay that Mira shot hits off of Jess Fishlock's arm and just goes slightly right and beats Claudia Dickie into the top right corner of that goal in the south end of lumen Field and Utah have this too nothing lead. But here is Fishlock now working into the box. Utah are able to take this back. You know, we all talked about it, We've all mentioned it. One nothing early in this game. That's something you can come back from. Two nothing Now you might have to play more aggressive. Utah trying to get up this right side, but it's cut out well by the Rain. But a takeaway by Utah now will give the ball right back to the visitors. In this series between Seattle and Utah in their history, it's the fifteenth all time game. The Reign have been dominant against Utah, nine to two and three against the Royals and all competitions. The Rain won recently against Utah in the final game of last season by a score of two to one in Seattle goals by McCammon and Huerta, and we were.
Speaker 3: Hoping for a similar result.
Speaker 2: But clearly it will be an uphill battle for the Rain as two goals scored by Utah early in this one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we still got a long game, you know, so we still have lots of time.
Speaker 4: And I think that's the hard thing is they just put themselves in a position that they're going to have to climb out of it. And like we mentioned, the Royals are a team that really like to play transitional football.
Speaker 5: They like to pressure, they like to.
Speaker 4: Make you feel uncomfortable, and they are doing that so far and making the Rain feel like they can't just play the pace of the game that they want to play.
Speaker 3: They will have a free kick.
Speaker 2: Utah will just inside Seattle's half the field. They are setting up for what could be a header on goal. This will be a long free kick, so they take it short a little bit of a surprise. But now the long ball into the box headed away and it will be Coco Monas you're picking up the ball, Seattle Rain with numbers, can she advance? No, she can't pass and will just get tipped away and Utah will control and they will try to get going here on the right side I but Utah can't control it and give it right back to Seattle for a throw in here in Seattle's own half.
Speaker 4: That some good work from sam Mezzo there to work back and slide tackle that ball away so they can maintain possession.
Speaker 2: Utah taking a throwing away, they will have possession and send it all the way back to their keeper. Mea justice an interesting situation for Utah's goalkeeper situation, as Mea Justice has been starting this entire season and she does get the start today, but for falls called on the far side of the field, the Rain will have a free kick at that far side. It's interesting because Utah has been starting. Me A Justice, a twenty three year old goalkeeper from Ohio, was a recent national champion with Florida State. She was the backup going end of the year, but an injury to Utah's starting goalkeeper Mandy Mattie McGlenn, they thought that at some point she was going to return and regain that starting spot. She returns on the bench today, but they continue to go with me and Justice here in their starting lineup today, probably to give McGlenn just one more week or so before she regains her starting spot. As the Rain are in possession of working into Utah's half, trying to find fishlock, but it will be cut out and sent back to their goalkeeper Justice. Utah a good starts to twenty twenty six for them, two to two and one, a club that has not seen that much success in NWSL over the years. And now here's the Rain working into the box trying to find Fishlock again.
Speaker 3: A couple players go down.
Speaker 2: No foul called now a foul called, but called on Seattle, Utah will get a free kick from their own half.
Speaker 3: In Utah.
Speaker 2: This season here five games, they've scored six goals. Coming into the day, they've given up six goals. They've had a little bit of an inconsistent start. But this is a club that over the years has definitely struggled to get things going in terms of their playoff hopes. It's a club that folded and reformed a couple times with new ownership.
Speaker 3: Here as Utah, the new iteration of them.
Speaker 2: After their best start leave in club history is here. They come again into the Seattle half, chands to attack again to the middle of the park, so good pressure will force this ball all the way back. Jess Fishlock hanging out as the furthest ahead Seattle player. You know that she's going to want to be aggressive in this one. Down to nothing, early long ball into the box, headed away into the arms of Claudia Dickey, the Seattle rain goalkeeper will take this one in a moment to breathe. Here for the rain.
Speaker 5: And again for the rain.
Speaker 4: Right now, it is about them being able to actually take the ball through the thirds of the field. Right now, we have not seen them string together any passes in that final third and that attacking third. They've given the ball away multiple times from the back. And then even when they do get it forward into that attacking third, you know, closer to the goal where they want to score on, they're not able to fight through the kind of low block that the Royals are and the Royals are keeping their lines really tight.
Speaker 5: So they have a lot of players in front of the goal. Centrally, the rain.
Speaker 3: Give it back again.
Speaker 2: Here is Utah in the Seattle half, fall out here to the right side, chance for Tanaka and company to get forward into the box, finding that it tipped away. A nice job there by the rain to get in the way of that one, and they will earn a free kick after a foul. But again, it's it's these giveaways on the defensive end, Stephanie, that you just got to clean up this play. It's it's almost a little bit as a yellow card is given as well.
Speaker 3: To a Utah player.
Speaker 2: I believe that's on Itsahata who gets that yellow card for Utah here yet just going right into the back of Brittany Ratcliffe for this Rain free kick. It's interesting because you know, last night in the Seattle Sounders game against Dallas, Dallas started very strong in the first twelve minutes. They didn't score, but it was very much a you know, momentum was all going one way and you just needed that calmness and that confidence and a goal to change the game.
Speaker 3: And right now the Rain need that goal.
Speaker 2: They need that calmness, they need that confidence. As we are getting a slight break in the play here and it's actually Claudia Dickie getting some work done on her right ankle. It looks like right foot as a trainer is out taking care of her.
Speaker 3: Not something you want to see here early in this game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely not. I mean, the keeper is such a hard position to switch in and out. We are just talking about that on the flip side. For the Royals, you want, I mean, especially Dickie. You know, she's played. I believe she is the only NWSL keeper that has played every minute so far this year, and so having her in is clearly a source of strength consistency for this back line. And in a game right now, when you're down to zero, you do not want to lose that this early, Yeah, one more.
Speaker 2: Goal would be disastrous, so you need to make sure you have your best players available and out there is Dicky is now back up from the trainer and she is walking forward and looks okay. Interestingly enough, the rain backup goalkeeper today available off the bench is Cassie Miller. Cassie Miller who was just brought off the injury list. She is back available for the Rain now for the first time in a while. But it is Claudia Dickie still available in goal and she will send this one a long way forward trying to find Ratcliffe here coming in from that left side, but is picked up by Utah and they will be able to advance numbers forward in this transition game. Trying to get a ball deep in here is Pelasios getting on the end of that one in the box has some help and Plasio's find some help she can, but it's a great job getting in the way of that one. I believe it's Emily Mason tracking back and getting in the way just enough to put it into Claudia Dickie's arms, and that will have the ball at Claudia Dicky's feet. Here in the fifteenth minutes, Utah Royals with the early two to nothing lead here over the rain at lumin feet.
Speaker 4: You know, Plasios is really causing some concern for that Seattle Ran backline. She's doing a ton of diagonal runs through those two center backs, which is really hard for those two players to track. So McClaren needs to do a little bit of a better job of making sure that she can't get on the end of those long balls that the Royals are trying to find her right now in behind the back line.
Speaker 2: Right now, the ball is bouncing around in the middle of the park. You saw controlling let's go down on the sideline with Kwami.
Speaker 16: So it looks like Seattle is definitely getting a bit more into the game. As a statistic that's very, very commonly overlooked is how often there are off sides in the game. When they are off side for a team, it means that the team is feeling adventurous, they are attacking, they're pressing, and that's actually a good sign. Last year, throughout the entire season, Seattle was sitting in about less than you know, maybe like one, maybe a little bit over one in terms of off side each game. This year, they're seeing it about one and a half each game. Beich means they're adventures, they're moving, they're pressing forward, and that's what we're going to need from them today. And just speaking to coach yesterday, her thoughts were, Hey, we are able to attack from the flanks. We're bringing every player forward, We're moving in unison and that's what we're hoping to see from them right now.
Speaker 2: And Kwamei, we're seeing that in the forum right now. Whereas the Rain held the ball in their own half, you almost saw a formation that was almost looking like a four too four Stephanie, where you had your normal four in the back. You have Sally Menti and Sam Mezzi, those midfielders, but the all four of Coco Mondasse or Maddie Mercado, Jeff Fishlock and Ritty Radcliffe are all right there at the top trying to put pressure, trying to get that attack going.
Speaker 3: Does the Rain need two goals to equalize?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And Coach Harvey Flagg that for us earlier in the week. She said, we want to put them under pressure, so she's putting some of the I'm Ritty Radcliffe is an incredibly quick player. She's very dynamic, so she wants to put Fishlock up there to direct it. But Mondaser and Ratcliff, those players up there are going to bring the energy that they need to stay in this game. And again we haven't seen it yet. We haven't seen the Royals under pressure much. Right now, they're just swinging it behind their back line without too much you know, urgency to go forward.
Speaker 5: And so what they need to start doing.
Speaker 2: Is open to give away Coco montas here chance right in front of the box to take a shot. She hesitates, now passes it off to the right. Huerta crosses it in the back post. Oh just over the head of Britney Ratcliffe, who is running at the back post, had a chance to put it into the back of the net. It was a great cross from where to, but just about a foot too high for Brittany.
Speaker 4: It was fantastic. It's actually exactly what I was saying we need to see more of. So maybe I get a little credit there now. But Manda here picks this ball off from the goalkeeper. She's able to look pick her head up where to, does a great job to get forward and Ratcliffe is actually alone in the back post.
Speaker 5: That just messes that header.
Speaker 2: You'd love to see, you know, Manda Ser pick that ball up and understand that me and Justice is way out of position and just put it right at the goal first time. But she did hesitate for that one moment and that hesitation forced her to go out wide. But that was a big chance. And here's another pickoff Rain with numbers to four on two. Here's Ratcliffe on the left, has a lot of options crossing it and it's a great defensive play by Utah Royal defender. I believe that was Kaylee Real tracking back and getting in the way of that one. Great job by Utah's defense on a four on two to not let the Rain get that opportunity on goal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's the transitional soccer that the Royals are quite good at. Like you said, They're able to get back into position here with only two players and maybe out four players for the Rain flying forward towards the goal and able to prevent anything coming on frame.
Speaker 2: That was a great defensive play for Utah and it actually was pulled back moments later for off side, So even if that had ended up being a goal, that would not have counted just offside. Was Britney Ratcliffe on that initial ball after the giveaway. But that is the kind of attack and that is kind of the movement that you need to see from Seattle down to nothing. Here in the nineteenth minute, here's another giveaway. Now the rain working on this right side ball towards the middle. Mercaddo has options to Ratcliffe into the box Golkie Rata position and the Kalki. It makes a great save mea justice ball right towards her. She ables able to bring it down right into her chest out of the air and again keep the rain off the score sheet. But again, Stephanie, this is what wedn't want to see from the rain, these kinds of opportunities, this kind of attack. We're seeing it more in the last four or five minutes.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, that's multiple keeper giveaways.
Speaker 4: We picked it off and then flown down the field with numbers very quickly.
Speaker 2: Oh no, here comes Utah back. It's a one on one. Can mcclernin getting the way of that one shot and it's blocked off. Mcclurnin's shoulder is not going to be a handball, not even asking for it. It will go out for a Utah throw in. But a big opportunity again, and it's the person you talked about, Keana Plasio's getting that space going one on one, and it takes a great play for mcclernan to just pressure her a little bit enough to cause her to hesitate and block that shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Palacios is a very quick, very technical forward. You can tell she's getting in behind and has the composure to keep them all. So we're pretty lucky there that mclariney was able to step in and stop that shot.
Speaker 2: And now we have a corner coming for USA. As the throw in was hit out by Maddison Curry who got in the way of that throw in. Utah will be able to set up again here. It wasn't long ago that a corner was taken all the way back out at the top of the box, bounced back out and from distance it was Mira with a long, long distance goal that was redirected off the shoulder of Jess Fishlock Utah leading this two to nothing here in the twenty first minute at Loomin field. And this will be an end swinging corner from the southwest corner here, both hands raised and it's taken short and back to it. Here comes a cross coming in, but it's cleared away again and this will go out for another corner here for Utah in the.
Speaker 3: Corner taking these kises.
Speaker 2: Maria Rabano, an ankle injury has kept her out for the entire twenty twenty six seasons so far. This is her first game and she is the regular corner kickticker for Utah.
Speaker 3: Both hands raised again. Will she go short again?
Speaker 2: If you know, she will go long towards the middle of the gold Claudia Dickie jumps foal called so into the arms of Dicky and she will be able to have though a free kick from right inside of her box.
Speaker 4: And you know Dickie's gray on crosses cornerkicks. She comes out with such confidence. We've heard Laura Harvey talk about it, and Emma Hayes even mentioned it. Just that confidence and that power that she comes out with to grab the ball. She's done it on the corner kick, just that moment where she actually received contact and still was able to gain it game possession for the rain back you mentioned Emma Hayes.
Speaker 2: If you're just joining us as listening to the Seattle Rain on radio, we are here now on radio for about ten games here in twenty twenty six, this being the first of those games here from lumen Field.
Speaker 3: We thank you for joining us.
Speaker 2: Earlier in our pregame show we had the United States womens now national team coach Emma Hayes in the booth with us.
Speaker 3: She is here today.
Speaker 2: Watching many many players who are part of the United States women's national team system. This is a team in Seattle that has a large, large number of the United States women's players senior team debuts earlier this year for bug Mezza, Dalene Menti. Of course Claudia Dicky is there, I would say at this point starting goalkeeper for the United States women's national team, and a bunch of players coming up for the U system as well on the Rain. So Ema Hayes here to watch not ten different players who feature in the United States women's system and who will feature today for the Rain hopefully in what will be a comeback win as they are down to nothing. It's a long ball. Here on the left is Madison Curry on side. I believe she is staying on side. She gets to it here in this corner, picks the ball up, has a lot of options to cross it. She crosses it. Towards the top of the box, but it's headed away by a Utah forward pick up by the rain. They will stay with possession here with mclernan trying to find some space and she finds it with Curry now on the left, here is Ratcliffe tracking back trying to create some space. But Utah take this ball away to the middle of the park here as they now have possession of this ball.
Speaker 4: And again when we're looking at the press from the rain, they really have to decide when they want to do that. So in soccer you look for your line of confrontation, which oftentimes means when does the player actually start to press the ball? Is it at half line? Is it when the keeper has it? And we just saw Jeff Fishlock pressing keeper Justice there and it's really important when do we go because that is an aggressive press there from Fishlock.
Speaker 2: And she did press and she forces a ball that goes out for a rain thrown about ten yards from the end line.
Speaker 3: It's going to be Curry taking this on the throw in.
Speaker 2: At pressure from Jess Fishlock or the rain. This chance, we'll see how long they can execute this throw and it goes short to Fishlock. Now cross coming towards the top of the box for Cocoa mandasy or pops back out at different.
Speaker 3: Distance, create some space on our left foot.
Speaker 2: Utah is able to step in and tip that one away. They will be mclernan running that down and earning it throwing for seattle here at ten yards from the half point of blomen field. They need to keep this pressure up here. There's a curry to throw this ball in which will go long and it's out for Nope, not a throw in. Look like that ball went out, not called rain. Will keep this ball.
Speaker 3: Now, sending it for the changing the point of it back to this right side.
Speaker 2: You're just aware to working on a defender up the field of Monastery and the box chance to cross goes in and it's a shot that has quickly tipped away. Utah getting in the way of that one. The Cocoa monaster stays with it and that shot across right across the face of bowl. But a great job by me and Justice the goalkeeper from Utah to just take that one away and not let that get to Ratcliff at the back post.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's gonna be something on the rains wan On Mack Maddie mccratto actually had a ball right at her feet on the six yard line and there the ball comes directly across and she is just not able to connect with it. It looks like maybe the defender brought there as well. But Mercado, in good positioning, really should have put that away.
Speaker 2: To opportunities. Need to cash him in. Down to nothing here in the twenty sixth minutes, But Seattle has been creating these opportunities for the last fifteen minutes or so. The tide has turned. The momentum is there for Seattle. The pressure is on with that foursome up top of four attackers with Manda, Seer, Mircado, Fishlock and Ratcliffe. If you saw now having it on their left, now working through the middle of the park, changing the point of attack to the right, here's Thompson.
Speaker 3: That ball goes.
Speaker 2: Out for a rain throwing right in front.
Speaker 3: Of head coach Laura Harvey.
Speaker 2: In these moments, Laura Harvey, we talked about her one of the greatest coaches in this league's history. This will certainly be a test for her today in her two hundred and fiftieth game coaching Seattle Rain to fight back with this one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: One of my favorite things about watching Laura Harvey is you can really tell how she feels about the game. When she's on the sideline, she's up, she's yelling. If her team's doing.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe she's sitting for a little bit.
Speaker 4: But after they scored that second goal, she was up, jacket off, she was yelling at her team to get back in this.
Speaker 5: And that's one of the best things about her as a.
Speaker 4: Coach is that the energy she brings to her players on the field Rain with it.
Speaker 2: Here is Sam Mezza working in this midfield and trying to earn some space, but it's Utah pressuring right now, really pressing that Seattle Rain back line, trying to find some space forward and it's Mezza. We'll see, but it will be out for a Utah throw. And you know, it's funny you talk about how involved Laura Harvey is when it comes to I remember we had a game last year we were doing a broadcast for I believe it was a in Chicago where the Rain we're leading a match two nothing or three nothing. I think it was three nothing. Yeah, And even with a three nothing lead, she was so involved and she was still yelling What ended up happening was Chicago scored three goals in the last twenty minutes to force a three to three draw. Very demoralizing, but it was interesting to watch Laura Harvey's demeanor. It didn't change too much. Yeah, from down three nothing to a three to two, from up three nothing to a three to two game. She stayed involved in intense the entire way through, as Rain trying to find fishlock with a long ball and it will be Ratcliffe picking this one out.
Speaker 3: Still in possession are the Rain.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's one of the most fun things about Laura.
Speaker 4: I mean, I remember being so jealous when I played with Boston and we were playing Seattle. At anytime Seattle scored, the players would rush to Laura on the sidelines, and I just what is the better sign that you were doing your job as a coach That the players want to celebrate with you, not just each other, They want to celebrate with you. And I think that speaks to you know, her time here at the club, but how she cares about these players as people as well.
Speaker 2: Rain with possession now switching off onto this right side with bondaser As Squerta has a lot of space Bndess is dribbling forward, but a Utah defender comes out of nowhere to take that ball away and we'll earn possession for the Royals. Now they have a chance to perhaps counter, but that's.
Speaker 3: A giveaway into the middle of the park.
Speaker 2: It's mezzen Mente in that middle of the field getting in the way of a pass and earning possession back for the Rain onto this left side. The pass just too far Utah.
Speaker 3: I was able to get in the way of that one and just.
Speaker 2: Clear back all the way to Claudia Dickie in goal for Seattle. Now it's bond Acre on the right for the Rain. Quertza tipped away but off of Florida's foot, we'll go for a Utah throwing. And you also wonder step how much we're gonna see a little bit of time wasting now for a Utah team on the road, they're obviously aft to a decent start here in twenty twenty six, chance to win a place that they rarely win. I mean, you look at again their record against Seattle. They're they only have two wins. They have their two nine to three against the Rain. This would be a massive win for them early in this season and leading to nothing here sixty minutes to go in this game, you wonder how much they may be able to just kind of click keep away a little bit.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean time wasting.
Speaker 4: I think it's a little too early for but absolutely focusing on just keeping the ball and not giving up too much, not sending numbers for it as much as they were before.
Speaker 5: Because they have that cushion with the.
Speaker 2: Two zero lead, Thompson crosses it and headed. It's a good piece. Oh it's actually a poor header there. It was those Kronin getting towards that ball and it looked firstly it could have been good defending by mclernan, but just a poor header there from Cronin.
Speaker 3: Is out for a goal kick here in the thirtieth minute go ahead.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, And I think you know these teams are coming off a three week break. We also I haven't mentioned that, you know, there's game fitness that you actually can lose kind of quickly without having those games in those couple times.
Speaker 5: So you're right.
Speaker 4: Utah Royals team traveling playing in Lumen for the first time, as as the rain are with the fast grass, they got to conserve their energy fall out to.
Speaker 2: The right here here's called Gomantasir chance to cross it in, cross it to the back post. Ratcliffe cut out well, but to Fishlock. Fishlock cuts on her leg, shut off the post, goes off the bar for Jess Fishlock, but it stays with the rain. Mandasier still has it on the right trying to get into that assist zone and it will go out. That is going to be out for a goal kick here in the thirty first minute. But a big chance there for Jess Fishlock that just went off the bar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and again Mandasire is doing a great job of getting high and wide on that right side. She's very quick with the ball. This is the second time she's sent in a very dangerous cross. It popped back out to Fishlock. The composure Jefs Fishlock has in the eighteen yard box is probably not comparable in this league. She is able to with two defender on her there, take a small touch across her body and she's man the crossbar.
Speaker 2: That left foot just off the crossbar. Such a good shot and it's, you know, one of those things. There's some cheers here in the stands for the United States women's national team head coach Emma Hayes. We talked about a few minutes ago, some big cheers here coming in at loumen Field from the large crowd here in attendance on the eastern side of Lewinfield. You know what we've seen, I think over these last twenty minutes, Steph, is the fact that this is a Rain attack that is producing opportunities. You had the back post there, you had Mercado who couldn't get that full shot on goal. You have that chance right there for Jess Fishlock that goes off the bar, and eventually, if you keep producing these opportunities, you will score. I think it's impossible to see the Rain getting shut out in this game if they continue to do what they've done in the last twenty minutes.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 4: I think that's what Laura Harvey tells them at halftime, and I do think that's why she was so disappointed with how it started, because those two quick goals before they got into their rhythm have made their fate a little bit tougher here when they have the components to actually put this Royal team under a ton of pressure, and they could have been the ones on a two zero lead early.
Speaker 2: On, and here's Seattle to climb to take advantage of another giveaway, but they can't do anything with it and the ball goes right back and we'll take this moment, so go down onto the sideline with Kwame.
Speaker 16: So it looks like Seattle's slowly settling into the attack. Here, we've definitely gotten more numbers into the box. Now, Sophia wareth that does have to get a bit more involved in the attack. I think we're doing really well with attacking on the right side. However, you know, Sophia has seven career goal contributions against Utah Royals, so she's definitely seasoned in getting some points against this team.
Speaker 2: Here is where to coming forward. A chance to cross going to the back post, has Ratcliffe head it in fish lock and she went up for a bicycle kick, but it will go well wide a goal. Sorry to interrupt, Kwame go ahead.
Speaker 16: You know it was poetry emotion because as we were talking about Sophia Worth, they're being more involved in the attack. There she goes almost giving us an assist and an opportunity to get a goal in there. So it's looking good. We just got to keep going on the right side. Like I said, she's got seven goal contributions against the Royals, which is tied for the most of the sl history. So it's all about making sure that we're going down that right side and giving one of our best attacking outside wing players an opportunity to get.
Speaker 12: On the ball.
Speaker 2: It's a goal kick here for Utah and Stephanie exactly what Klamie was saying. The best attacks have been down that right side, Coco and Huerta crossing balls in towards Ratcliffe, Mercado in the back post, right in front of goal. That's where the best Reign attacks have been over these last twenty minutes. And here is Utah. We'll get back to that in a moment, trying to slip ball in towards the box. It's on a foot now, staying on the left shot and it just goes above the bar. Did it take a tip? I believe it did take a Claudia Dickie tip. This will be a Utah corner here in the thirty fourth minutes and.
Speaker 4: An incredible reaction from Dickey there actually because again just like the Royal sport and their second goal deflections are so hard for keepers to react, and we see it here.
Speaker 5: It's a shot from the outside of the eight and the left side, and.
Speaker 4: She's able to just barely get one or two fingertips there to make sure it's not a goal and it's a corner instead.
Speaker 2: Yeah, long shot there by Mina Tanaka, and it was just that little slight tip that causes it to go above the bar. Certainly, the Rain have to watch out for those kind of counters and those kind of transition moments because there have been so many moments offensively for the Rain in the last twenty minutes. Utah definitely want to set up Seattle this way, two hands raised in the corner for their kicktaker the case sends it to Dicky, grabs it out of the air with two hands and your chance maybe for the Rain to go fast.
Speaker 3: Dicky earning some space rolling it out to where.
Speaker 2: To where to get it up the field to mind to see your note, you'll have to play it right back to Emily Mason next to her, to mcclernan on the left side now, because the Rain will take a moment to regroup and set up themselves for an attack. About ten minutes from the halftime whistle at Lumenfield, Jackson felt Stephanie Verdoya Kwama Paya Seattle Rain Utah Royals here on Sports Radio nine to fifty k am. Thank you for joining us here tonight for our first of ten or so Rain matches on the radio here in twenty twenty six. Rain with an outstanding start to this season so far, three to one in one. They entered match day six tied for second place in NWSL. We're down to nothing early to Utah in this game. Now here's fish luck on this left side has help with Curry mcclernan up the field, headed on chance for Mercato. Can she get in front of goal? She can, and she's tripped up. Is that a penalty? She's tripped up by the goalkeeper? Mea justice and Mercado and her teammates are asking why that is not a penalty? Which she had the ball on her foot, dribbling towards goal, tripped by Utah's goalkeeper and no call.
Speaker 4: Stephanie, Yeah, that's shocking. I think they're probably taking a look at it right now. But keeper goes down, miass goes down to the ground. Mercado is onside. It looks like for this ball she's taking a touch forward. She gets around behind the defender gets a touch past the keeper and she goes to the ground.
Speaker 3: We'll see here.
Speaker 2: I think that what they're saying is that Justice touched the ball just enough before she got in the way and redirected and tripped up Mercado. With that slight touch on the ball was enough. Our referee today Matt Thompson, an experienced referee who's actually the fourth official for the Sounders FC Dallas game here at Luminfield last night. Our VR today, Brad Jensen, are the VR referee, and they looked at it and determined that that is no penalty and we play on with Utah up to nothing.
Speaker 17: Here.
Speaker 4: You could tell Laura Hardy was not happy about that call, and those ones are tricky. But when the keeper goes to the ground and the player who she seems like she was still in possession of that ball, not able to continue going towards goal, you really wonder how that's not.
Speaker 2: A pKa because Justice redirected the ball just slightly with her fingertips, but Mercado was still in full possession of that ball.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 2: Long here towards the back post, Fishlock heads it back, still in possession with Ratcliffe now back to curry career. Ratcliffe chance to cross into the box, tipped away by a rain head. Still a Seattle shot deflected out. Long shot from Muerta from distance, but it will get to Mandasy or you're on this right side montasyre chance to cross. It's tipped out. This will be a Seattle rain corner kick. Referee ruling if she had the flag up towards a goal kick, but that is a corner kicks the wrong flag direction. This will be a corner kick in the northwest northeast corner of Lumen Field here in the thirty eighth minutes, hoping for another opportunity for the Rain Cocoa mantasy to take.
Speaker 3: It both hands raised.
Speaker 2: There'll be an outsinging corner as Ratcliffe in the near post, wide open. It goes towards the middle of goal. We'll tipped and a foul is called and it got to the foot of sam Meza who just tapped it off a Utah defender right in front of goal. But a foul was called and this will be a free kick for their goalkeeper Justice here as we hit the thirty ninth minute at Lumen.
Speaker 3: Beautiful night for soccer in Seattle.
Speaker 2: The sun setting here on Lumen Field just south of downtown Seattle. Justice will send this long headed up by Curry, Rain and possession, give it right away to Utah. Off the header now down into this right four or three defenders working on a Royals player and they able to take it away. Here's Mercado and Marnhado.
Speaker 3: Change the point of attack and get things going.
Speaker 2: You shall lay it off to Emily Mason, another defender, and now a long ball up the field that will be taken back before Utah. Would you suggest fishlock and racked with pressure. Lots of pressure here on Utah whenever they try to send it back towards their keeper. You know, long ball Ford has taken for Seattle taken away by Utah. They don't have the numbers and they'll have to retreat back.
Speaker 4: And again we're seeing a little bit of a lack of composure in the back line that I know Laura Harvey has been wanting to find in this back line in these past couple of weeks that they've been training on without the games. But mclernan and Murray or Masa have both given up balls that they probably should.
Speaker 5: Be able to bring down. Keep it their feet and connect passing and going forward.
Speaker 2: Stu mean, we talked with Laura Harvey yesterday out at training and she said very very directly to us that we want to be better in defending after this recent international break. And you know, it's it's those moments in the first six minutes of the game where Utah score in the first minute with Cronin and then the seventh winute with Mira, and it's those two moments early in a game, and.
Speaker 3: It's it's a moment of poor defending.
Speaker 2: On the first one, a redirected shot from the distance on the second line is the Rain now trying to work with numbers Here on the right side, you're square to getting forward as Mandasire on her right she uses her montasre chanced to cross and it's blocked away a good block there by Rabano the left back for Utah throw in coming about five yards from the end line.
Speaker 4: And again up that right side Mondessier and where to do seem to be the key for Rain.
Speaker 2: Here comes Mondasire just to cross it towards the back post, but Ratcliffe's not able to get her foot on that one. It will be out for a Utah goalkick. Here in the forty first minutes, and as we look at what else is happening here in NWSL today, Angel City today playing against Portland as well, and that's certainly one to watch because as we look at the standings I mentioned Rain with a great start here to this season, you know, three to one and one, they are looking up at Portland thorns. It's never a good thing when a Seattle team has to look up in the standings to Portland. But it's Portland getting a two to one win over Angel City earlier today, and with that win they have gone a little bit higher than the standings now second place San Diego Wave in first place in NWSL with five wins and only one loss. And as this score stands right now, Utah and Seattle would be equal at ten points with a three to two to one record. But that is just as things stand right now, and we hope that things do change. As Utah leads to nothing here in the forty second minute, where you try to get a ball four to Ratcliffe, but it's taken out by a Utah defender and send it all the way back to justice. The pressure can continues from Seattle.
Speaker 4: And you know you don't want the players to say it, but it is early in the season. They're looking to who they're gonna be.
Speaker 2: Here's Monasty on the right side, chance to cross it in. She does, but again it's cut out well by a Utah defender that is Kaylee Real and she will put it out for a Rain corner. Go ahead, Stephanie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, now, you know, just saying we don't want to look up Portland in the standings. Definitely, not that Cascadia rivalry is strong, but it is early.
Speaker 5: It's early. We've had a couple week break.
Speaker 4: The June break will also stretch out and create this kind of dysfunction in the early parts of the season. But the Rain have time to figure out who they are and put their mark on this season.
Speaker 2: Corner coming in from Mandacre goes to Fishlock redirects it to the back post. Here is a shot and a foul again called I believe that foul cold on Emily Mason there at the back post as she raises her hands asking where did the foul come from or her shot did go right there into the arms of MEA justice in goal and another opportunity for the Rain that ends.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and a soft call there.
Speaker 4: I have to say, she's on the back post, the ball's coming over. She's trying to let go of her defender and get around her, and instead they've called it for the Royals.
Speaker 3: There goalkick here onto this in near.
Speaker 2: Side of the right.
Speaker 15: Rain.
Speaker 2: Do you get a foot to it? But Utah takes it back. Some bodies on the floor, but Utah pick it up now with some space in the middle of the park. Shot from distance and it goes off the post. What a shot from distance off the post but on a Tahata shot from about twenty five yards out. It beat Claudia Dicky as she dove to her left and it goes right off of that right post.
Speaker 5: And I think Claudia Dicky would say it didn't beat her because it hit the post. I think she would have thought she covered that.
Speaker 4: But it's a great left footed shot across the body and oof. Yeah, I mean there was there was a couple of inches. There's still gray athleticism from Vicky to get across. But we are lucky that post was there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is six inches inside that might have redirected off that posted into the back of the nets. Thankful that this is still too nothing right here, and that would have been the second shot from distance into the back of the net if it was just a few inches to the left.
Speaker 4: And you know, at times, I think that's the chaos that Laura Harvey described this Royals team. They seem to be always dangerous and I can't even put maybe my name to it or a person specifically, but it is just they.
Speaker 5: Are going for it at all times. Shots, early runs in behind, I mean they're dangerous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they certainly have no hesitation taking shots from distance. That led, of course to their second goal today that was redirected off the shoulder of Jess fischlock Wen.
Speaker 3: We just have a few moments until the halftime whistle.
Speaker 2: Here at liv the field, Laura Harvey will have to get her squad together for the last forty five minutes. To a ball towards the box will be grabbed with one hand by Claudia Dicky. She will easily take that one with a little bit of style there in front of goal. It was interesting because that takes us back to that conversation with Emma Hayes in the pregame about just the behavior and the demeanor, right, and it's that confidence of I'm just gonna take this long ball with one hand and have a composure. But here's the boss slipped in Utah chance of Gulgan shot back of the net, and right before the halftime, that is a third goal for the Utah Royals. It went towards the back post for Chloe Lacasse and that is in past Claudia Dickie and the visitors now lead here three nothing, Royals over Rain.
Speaker 4: And you can see the Rain looking a little defeated there because that was a defensive transition moment in their defens defensive halfway they gave the ball away again from the back line. They're not able to get win it back and then a player just sneaks in on the right shoulder of Mason there to make sure that she can put a past Dickie in.
Speaker 5: That front post.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mason just tries to get a foot to that one on the slide put it's La Casse getting that ball in the box wide open and that shot past Dickie. Not a lot that Claudia Dicky could do there. And now it is a very uphill battle for the final forty five minutes of this game.
Speaker 3: We have had two minutes added.
Speaker 2: We're already through one of those two minutes in what is now a Utah Royals three nothing lead, and this is a rain team again. This is the first game at Lumen Field, on this new grass at Lumen the entire year, they've been playing away from home. They've had this season so far, where they opened in Orlando with a two to one win, they went to Portland with a two to nothing loss, and then three games in Spokane, a three to nothing win over the reigning Shield winners Kansas City, a two to one win over Louisville, and then a zero zero draw against Denver on April fourth before the international break, where they haven't played since April fourth. This is their first game since, and it's their first game at Lumen Field, and it has not gone well here in the opening forty five.
Speaker 4: Minutes, you know, and you point into a couple things that really do cause disruption for players, routines, the travel, the change of field.
Speaker 5: Right they're playing in Lumen, this massive stadium.
Speaker 4: They have made it across trip to Orlando, across the country trip to Orlando. They've been living out of suitcases in Spokane for a few weeks. But you'd think that they would be able to come back and establish a rhythm. But it is very difficult to come back even if this is their home field. This is their first game here, it's for their first game on grass here, and that's tough.
Speaker 2: It has been a tough first forty five minutes. Since the halftime whistle blows, we are finished with the first forty five.
Speaker 3: They score right now of three to nothing.
Speaker 2: Utah and Laura Harvey and company as she walks this locker room, we look at the look on her face.
Speaker 3: Stephanie. That is not a happy head coach.
Speaker 5: Right now, that is not a happy head coach.
Speaker 4: And if I know Laura Harvey at all, she is going to be saying a couple things.
Speaker 5: Get it together on the.
Speaker 4: Back line, keep the ball, do not give it away, and let's get a goal.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's that simple.
Speaker 4: They've had the chances, they need to finish them and stop making it having your own mistakes. Be the reason why the Royals are up three to zero because two.
Speaker 2: Of their goals are from those giveaways in the back end, and one of them is off a deflected shot from distance. So all right, now, certainly work to do on that defensive end for Laurel Harvey in the rain. We will step aside for a commercial break. We will come back with the halftime show as the Seattle Rain have work to do here in the second half. We're finished with forty five minutes. It's a Utah three to nothing lead more Next Sports Radio nine fifty KGr AM.
Speaker 7: How is your break?
Speaker 18: It was great until I stopped for gas. Prices have gone up almost a dollar with no end insight. I might have to start watching how much I drive.
Speaker 19: That's exactly why I use Upside. I never pay full price for gas with the free Upside app. Upside Yes Upside, it's the free app that gives you cash back just for buying the gas you're already buying. So even with the rising gas prices, I'll never have to limit how much I drive.
Speaker 17: Does that actually add up to anything?
Speaker 19: Just last year, I made over two hundred dollars with the Upside app.
Speaker 18: Wow, that's siia is extra cash. I'm downloading the free Upside app right now.
Speaker 20: Download the free Upside app to earn cash back on the gas thro ready buying. Use promo code Future twenty five for an extra twenty five cents per gallon bonus on your first take You can cash out anytime, write your bank account or an e gift card for Amazon and other brands. Just download the free Upside app and use promo code Future twenty five for a twenty five cents per gallon bonus on your first fill up.
Speaker 10: That's Future twenty five offers.
Speaker 21: Vary boy userlocation. Go to upside dot com for terms and conditions.
Speaker 9: It's Mike Homgrin in football. You're always looking ahead and the future of driving is here. At Toyota Kirkland, if you're ready to go electric, check out the new Toyota Bez. It's smooth, quiet and built with the same reliability Toyota is known for. Toyota Kirkland has a great selection of new BZ vehicles with the technology, range and capability to fit your everyday life. Come in for a test drive or start your search at Toyotafkirkland dot com. Toyota of Kirkland leading the charge into what's next.
Speaker 22: Fuel your passion at America's Car Museum Fun for all ages. It's more than a museum, it's a full throttle experience.
Speaker 10: Did you love Ford Versus Ferrari?
Speaker 22: See the real icons in the Birth of the American Supercar curated by Steve Salem, featuring legendary Shelby Cobras and GT Forties. Enjoy cruise ins, Drive ins under the Stars and next generation racing simulators. String the family, call your friends and jump start a day of excitement and discovery. Plan your visit today at America's Car Museum dot org.
Speaker 23: Number one on your car radio preset and the noon approved iHeartRadio. This is KJR AM at KJBHD two. Seattle Free never sounded so good.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Luminfield. Welcome back to the halftime show where Seattle Rain are currently facing an uphill battle in the second half. Is We're forty five minutes in and it's a three nothing lead for the Utah Royals. Utah team that scores in the fifty first second of this game, we were fifty one second sin and Paige Cronin picked up a loose ball on the back end on a giveaway by Seattle's defense and she puts it into the back of the net for a one to nothing lead. Then in the seventh minute, just a few minutes later, it is a corner kick that bounces back out to Mira and a long distance shot takes a deflection off of the shoulder of Jess Fishlock and ends up in the back of the net, beating a diving Claudia Dicky. That gave Utah a very quick two to nothing lead inside of seven minutes. From there, Seattle looked better. They got things going offensively, They got some composure and some confidence on the ball in the attack. Things were working up and on that right side, with a combination of Sophia Huerta and Coco Mandis here working on that left wing.
Speaker 3: Lots and right wing.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, Lots of attacks, lots of crosses, lots of chances. At one point Jess Fishlock put a ball off of the crossbar, a great play where she turns the ball onto her left foot and a left footed shot goes off of the bar. But so many chances for the rain and unfortunately nothing into the back of the net passed Utah's kie keeper Meat Justice. And then right before the halftime whistle, just right before La cass gets a tremendous pass into the box on a counter attack on another turned over ball in Seattle's half of the field, they quickly transition. She has a wide open shot against Dicky and puts it into the back of the net for that third Utah goal, and right now it is a large lead for the visitors right now. Seattle Rain, entering this match day, they were three to one and one tied for second place in NWSL Utah was three points behind him, and the Royals are making up all of that as they entered this game two in a one here in twenty twenty sixth in seventh play. And this is a team in Utah that has had a terrible history against Seattle. Only two wins for the Royals against the Rain and they are looking for this to be their third. Right now, a three nothing lead, We'll take a break here on the halftime show. We'll come back and get you some keys the second half that will come up next on Sports Radio nine fifty KJR AM.
Speaker 24: Totally rad and totally snow Homishpud slash energy costs and upgrade your crib with rebates on windows, insulation, heat pumps, water heaters, smart thermostats, and like so much more. Since nineteen eighty, snow Homish Pud has been stoked to help customers save energy and money. Discover rebates and no cost energy tips at snowpud dot com slash rebates.
Speaker 15: Okay, so the other day I got myself watching one of those Sunset Chevrolet commercials on TV.
Speaker 3: I just love those things.
Speaker 15: Anyway, I wondered, who really is the number one volume chew dealer in Washington State?
Speaker 10: And why?
Speaker 15: So I picked up my smart phone because it's smart, and I asked Siri. She knows everything right, and here's what she said.
Speaker 25: Sunset Chevrolet in some No Washington consistently ranks as Washington State's number one Chevrolet dealership by sales volume. It's mainly because of exclusive customer benefits like warranty protection for life and oil changes for life. High customer satisfaction and a vast inventory are also responsible. Sunset Chevrolet has held this top position for nearly two decades by focusing on customer loyalty through these unique added value programs, longevity and consistency. That's why Sunset Chevrolet.
Speaker 21: Is number one.
Speaker 15: So, Siri, why would anyone get a new Chevrolet anywhere else when the prices invoices and MSRPs are all about the same at every Chevy dealership.
Speaker 25: Sorry, I have no idea.
Speaker 15: Tell you what go to, Siri, Lexa or whoever you go to for these questions and ask them the same.
Speaker 2: Question, you'll see what I mean. It's true.
Speaker 15: You just get more at sunset and people do like that.
Speaker 12: Hey, deck Fane here, there have been plenty of great golf days already in twenty twenty six, and we know there are many more to come. That's why you need to wait no longer and grab your twenty twenty six around on this Sound Golf Pass, offering nine rounds of golf, had some of the Northwest best courses, including white Horse, Avalon, Lakeland Village, the Cedars at dungeons Port, Ludlow and Moore, all for just two nineteen. Why pay more when you don't have to. The only bad news is they're going fast. There aren't many left, so pick one up now while they last.
Speaker 2: Only at Seattle Golf Pass dot com.
Speaker 10: Volume crisis, huge selection and it's all happening. And to coma Dodge Chrysler jeepin' ram hi Amphilbum is over the huge.
Speaker 11: To come a Dodge Treusure jep and Ramp and we've got unbeatable deals on over three hundred news g.
Speaker 10: Four x four's and Ram trucks.
Speaker 11: Discover a massive selection of new g four by fours right now, including the legendary Gee brand Jeroche. The most are wondered ssub Ever, we're making it easy. Just come see us and storing criminal savings like.
Speaker 10: This right now. Lisa New twenty twenty six Cheap Wrangler Willa's four by four including all estimated taxes and fees for just four to thirty six a month for thirty six months. Save up to nine thousand off MSRP on New twenty twenty five Jeep Grand Cheroity four by four starting at just thirty two thousand, nine ninety or get extreme off road capability and Lisa New twenty twenty six Jeep Gladiator Mahaffe four by four for just four seventy seven a month for thirty nine months, with over one hundred and.
Speaker 11: Fifty jeeps available, We've got you covered. We've got financial for everyone, and we're paying crazy prices for your trade ends no matter where you live. Is it Tacoma Jeep dot com or see what you get here. It's all happening right here on the corner thirty eighth then southdacombe Away. The Intersection of.
Speaker 10: Savings Declaration of Deals is on now see Tacoma Jeep dot com for details. Are called pound two fifty keyword Nujeep.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Loomanfield and we welcome you back to the halftime show. Currently, Seattle Rain down to the Utah Rails by a score of three to zering if you're just joining us, this is our first of many Seattle Rain matches here on radio in twenty twenty six. Seattle Rain, of course, are women's professional soccer team here in the.
Speaker 3: Emerald City, and right.
Speaker 2: Now they find themselves down by a few goals to Utah. Let's take a look at who Laura Harvey has to bring off of a bench today, and there is a lot of offensive weapons to bring off. Maddie Dollen is a left winger, a very very talent to players.
Speaker 3: She's in the United States women's national team system.
Speaker 2: She is available. Emria Damas same case, also in that United States youth programing system.
Speaker 3: She's available off the bench. She's a right winger as well.
Speaker 2: You have a midfielder and Haws James Turner, Holly Ward, Ainsley mccamnon me official is a big forward and a big weapon for the rain Is as we had Emma Hayes the women's national team head coach. On she mentioned unprompted, how she is very closely monitoring me official and her return to full fitness. She's available for Laurel Harvey off the bench, also Ryan Brown, Shay Holmes, and a backkeep goalkeeper of Cassie Miller. Taking a look at also of those first half stats, it really is all Utah. This wasn't a game where it looked like it was goals against the run of play. Utah did really execute their system well and it worked, leading in shots nine to five, shots on target, they doubled up Seattle four to two.
Speaker 3: They had four corners.
Speaker 2: Their expected goals though, that's where this is interesting. Expected goals is one of those, you know, kind of deeper soccer stats that we sometimes look at and say, well, what should the score line of this game be? Right now, Utah leads and expected goals, but they only lead point six y six to point six to two, And that really kind of comes off I think of a couple of things. It comes off of the opportunities that Seattle created. You gotta continue to work off of that right side with Manda Sere, with Sofia Huerta. You need to attack off that right side. That is where enormous successes come today. Crossing balls into the middle of the box for Matti Mercado, to the back post for Britney Ratcliffe. More of that and you can find a goal and sort of get this momentum turn. But Utah has got their goals off a deflection, off a couple defensive giveaways. You gotta shore up on that back end and if you do those things, you can continue to create opportunities and not give the bait ball away defensively in your own half of the field. Seattle rain could find themselves back in this and you just want to get that early goal to instill that belief, to get that confidence back, and then get going on the offensive end even more and then don't give up anything in transition.
Speaker 3: That is where Utah want to be. That is where they are very dangerous. We'll take a.
Speaker 2: Break and we will get to the second half. Is the Rainer back got onto the field to warm up. We'll see if there are any changes by head coach Laura Harvey for the second half. Brittany Stephanie Vrdoya will rejoin us with Kwamea Paya on the sideline. Min names Jackson Goltz. The game continues next on Sports Radio nine fifteen KRM. How is your break?
Speaker 18: It was great until I stop for gas. Prices have gone up almost a dollar with no end insight. I might have to start watching how much I drive.
Speaker 19: That's exactly why I use Upside. I never pay full price for gas with the free Upside app. Upside Yes, Upside, it's the free app that gives you cash back just for buying the gas you're already buying. So even with the rising gas prices, I'll never have to limit how much I drive.
Speaker 17: Does that actually add up to anything?
Speaker 19: Just last year, I'm made over two hundred dollars with the Upside app.
Speaker 18: Wow, that's serious extra cash. I'm downloading the free Upside app right now.
Speaker 20: Download the free Upside app to earn cash back on the gas your already buying. Use promo code Future twenty five for an extra twenty five cents per gallon bonus on your first take. You can cash out anytime, write your bank account or an e gift card for Amazon and other brands. Just download the free Upside app and use promo code Future twenty five for a twenty five cents per gallon bonus.
Speaker 10: On your first fill up. That's Future twenty five.
Speaker 21: Offers vary boy userlocation. Go to upside dot com for terms and conditions.
Speaker 2: And Mom, now that I have an after school job, I think I want to buy a drum kit.
Speaker 5: Okay, rock Star, let's look at your account.
Speaker 26: When kids start making money, Chase has easy to use tools and expert bankers to help them learn how to manage it.
Speaker 21: And next month, I'll buy the bass drum in the symbols. Oh, maybe some noise canceling headphones for you.
Speaker 5: Ah, You've thought of everything.
Speaker 26: Help kids save budget and build financial independence, all with Chase. That's good for kids and good for parents. Visit your local chain scranch and get started.
Speaker 10: Account subject to approval.
Speaker 2: JP Morgan, Chase Bank and a member of FDIC.
Speaker 15: Sunset Ford of Summner has just one burning question.
Speaker 10: Where the heck did all these new Fords come from?
Speaker 15: Seems like just yesterday we were in the middle of a global pandemic. Inventory was scarce, the lot was almost empty with no end in sight, and boom. A couple of years later, sunset Ford has nearly four hundred new Fords in stock. Every single day and every single qualifying Ford includes warranty protection for life and oil changes for life Sunset exclusives.
Speaker 10: Saving you thousands down the road.
Speaker 15: That's a biggie because the cost of a comparable new Ford is basically the same at every Ford dealership. The factory incentives are all the same, so no Ford dealer has a competitive advantage when it comes to price. It's not what you pay, it's what you get, and you just get more at Sunset Sunset Ford of Sumner just off five Way four to ten, you know, just down the hill from Bonnie Lake. You can't miss the place. That's where all those brand new Fords are.
Speaker 2: You just get more.
Speaker 10: That's Sunset Forward and people do like that.
Speaker 27: Saving Energy Simplified. Snahomishpuds Rebate Center is your one stop hub for cash back on energy efficient upgrades from heat pump water heaters to all in one washer dryer combos. Whether you're planning a project or already made an upgrade in the last ninety days, the Rebate Center helps you check eligibility, submit receipts, and track your rebate status all in one place. Visit snowpud dot com Slash Rebates.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Roland Field for the second half of this game between Seattle Rain and the Utah Royals. Utah with a big first half three goals first minute, seventh minute, and the forty fifth minutes, and we get this second half underway. Goes back to their goalkeeper mea justice for Utah. She will send it a long ball forward. If we rejoin you here in the booth, Jackson Felt, Stephanie Verdoya call me Apaya on the sideline as well for this broadcast of Seattle Rain on Sports Radio nine to fifty kJ am Stephanie, what are your keys to the second half for Seattle?
Speaker 4: So for Seattle, I mean we talked about it as a key for them to talk about it at halftime, but the defense needs to be composed.
Speaker 5: They need to not give the ball away.
Speaker 4: And that's just step one because if they can do that, their attack has already created what they want to see. Where to monda Seer, Fishlock, Mercado. They're all getting chances in that eighteen yard box. So one, don't give the ball away, But that seems a little obvious.
Speaker 5: So I'd say the biggest key.
Speaker 4: For them is obviously, once they don't give the ball away, get into the eighteen yard box and create good contact on frame.
Speaker 5: I think Justice is a little shaky in moments. I think they can put something behind.
Speaker 2: Her Seattle with possession along their back line. I'm also wondering, steph how fast does Seattle need to play the first ten minutes of this half? How much do they need to advance and really go for a quick goal? As here is a long ball trying to get the ball up the field, cutout well by Utah but picked up by Huerta for Seattle.
Speaker 3: But she can't control this one, and you shall have it back.
Speaker 2: Like I always asking here, Stephanie, I'm wondering how quickly you need to go for a goal in.
Speaker 4: The first ten minutes, So you know, I would say you do. It's an obvious you got three goals to make up. Except I do think the Royals live on that kind of chaotic pressure that's not organized. I think Harvey is going to want her team to stick to what they know. They are organized, they are structured, They keep the ball, they don't just fly forward. Yes, they have pressure, but it's organized, it's intentional, it's led by Fishlock. They know their positions on the field, and so I don't think we're going to see urgency, but I think we're going to see more directness in how they play.
Speaker 2: All right. Now, Utah have the ball in possession with their goalkeeper Mia Justice, that uses her defense and back line.
Speaker 3: This is where you kind of wonder how.
Speaker 2: Much they will just simply focus on possession as a ball will go out for a goalkick. Here in the forty eighth minute Loomenfield, sun still set on the stadium tonight, beautiful day here in the Northwest, wonderful night for soccer here in Seattle. As the sun is setting, just slivers of sun coming through the rafters of Lumenfield on the east side of this pitch, this new pitch that is now grass down there, and Stephanie's also his Rain have a thrown here from Utah's side of the field. Thrown comes on to talk to you about this grass difference where the Rain have been playing here at Luminfield for a number of years. But certainly it's a pleasant surprise and a very big benefit to be able to play on grass as opposed to the turf that we have seen for so many years here at Louma.
Speaker 15: Oh.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, it's the best.
Speaker 4: I mean you talk to any player in the world. Everyone first grass over turf, you know. We talked to her, Laura Harvey, and she said, it looks fast the ground interrupt.
Speaker 3: Here is Utah have a chance here?
Speaker 2: They got a ball on the right, tries to slip the ball in, but a great job there to cut that one out. And that is our midfield, Sally Menti from Roosevelt High School getting in the way of that one. Seattle now with possession.
Speaker 4: Sorry to interrupt, go ahead, No, as I was saying, it moves fast.
Speaker 5: It moves the pace fast. The grass goes fast.
Speaker 2: Where's fishlock a chance to beat this defense, but can't get around that defense. Few years off to the right for Juexa, for Moondare montasr. Chance across, takes a deflection and it will stay with Seattle, and that should be a foul. They're on Mondas here about ten yards from the edge of the box. Let's go down onto the sideline with a third member of our crew today. Quame a pie up.
Speaker 16: All right, looks like we're doing you know we're doing we're supposed to do here. We're getting the ball out wide, We're getting it out early and off and I think the key to the second half is making sure we're getting the ball into the box early as we can and as often as possible. We've got some great opportunities. I think going into the back post, it feels like the Utah defensive line is shifting over into the strong side. So if that ball gets floated over into the other box, you have Rackcliffe on the other end and hopefully we can get some loose open opportunities going to the goal.
Speaker 3: There's Montacy with his free kick. Thanks Kwame sends it forward.
Speaker 2: It's an out swinger top of the box, tipped on, but a great job by me and Justice to get on the end of that one after it popped up. Kind of took a inopportune deflection there, I believe. I don't know if I was feeding mcclaran making a run towards goal there, but ultimately not the exact touch you wanted on that ball right off of that free kick, Stephanie.
Speaker 5: No, definitely not.
Speaker 4: And again it's just a little bit of that composure maybe on both sides of the ball back line, but also in the attacking app As Kwami was saying, great balls into the box, whether it's a direct kick there from mondas here or we're seeing crosses in from where to They're not getting good contact on that ball.
Speaker 2: There is hu saw now picking it up with possession now switching the point of attack to the left side. Chance to cross it in towards the back of stick, had a foot on it, but it's a poor touch there at the back post. Massive opportunity for I believe there was Page Crona to the back post, but couldn't get her full foot on the end of that one. That very easily could have been for nothing.
Speaker 4: Stephanie, it absolutely could have been. And again I think you're just looking at that back line. Where is the leadership, Where is the composure? She was unmarked on that back post most dangerous, But on the field when that ball's floating and that.
Speaker 2: Is that back post there, Madison, Curry, mcclern and Mason, we need to not give the ball away and also cover on those chances. As Utah is still working possession in Seattle's edge of the field, cross coming in and easily handled by a goalkeeper. Claudia Dickey rows it out. Chance to potentially counter it back. Here's a Radcliffe and Jess Fishlock. But you cannot connect with each other and the ball is given right back to Utah.
Speaker 4: And those are the moments I think again where they we don't need urgency. The Rain needs to maintain the ball in those moments. Again, the Royals are actually just charging down the field. We thought they would sit back. They don't look like they're sitting back. So the Rain need to gain control of the ball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now, out the rain. The Rain are on the heels from Utah, who are definitely pushing for that fourth goal and they want to sweep the leg right now, fifty second minute, up three to nothing and they know a fourth goal but effectively end this game. They are certainly going for it, but they are pushing numbers forward. If Seattle can capitalize on that and get them in transition, that could change the entire dynamic. Here is if the Rain pick it up going switching the point of attack to this right side, can Coco get to the end of that one. It's a long ball and it will go out for a Utah throwing here from the near side the left, and.
Speaker 4: Again that's an unfortunate giveaway in the middle of the field. They're not making it to the attacking third. I mean, I think I've seen just Fishlock put her head up a couple of times just in frustration of they're not even getting into the spaces right now where they need to be to make sure that they can work their way back into this game.
Speaker 3: It's all long ball here to the left.
Speaker 2: It's taken away by Huerta or To looking for some help, trying to find some help. She has helped within the form of Claudia Dicky, but who is pressured immediately. And these the tense moments here where Utah has pressured Seattle into giveaways, but that will go out after a deflected pass for a Seattle throwing. That was a very important moment for the Rain in that moment, Stephanie to not give that ball away with a lot of pressure there in their own end.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And one thing we should have noted actually is those giveaways from the back line. There is something to do with the new surface, right this is a new stadium, new grass.
Speaker 5: It changes the game.
Speaker 2: Here's Ratcliffe, Ratcliffe with a lot of space, but she has some pressure on her.
Speaker 3: Tipped away that will go out for a corner kick.
Speaker 2: Corner coming for Seattle here in the fifty third minute, he's the opportunities here down three nothing that you cannot waste as Mandasier will take this ball and take it to the southeast corner here of Lumen Field for this corner kick in front of those fans on the eastern side of this stadium. Wandasire has helping the form of Flerta. She will go long towards the back post, punched away like Justice, bounce us back out still with the rain on this left side here square to Mandasre Monnasare's spacing the box, crosses.
Speaker 3: It in towards the back post.
Speaker 2: Nobody home there at the back post, and that will go out for a goal kick.
Speaker 4: Stephanie, Yeah, and again Mandasire are doing a great job of getting crosses in.
Speaker 17: I will see.
Speaker 4: I think there's moments where she can be a little bit more intentional with where her cross goes. She is whipping it in there, but on balls like that, pick someone out now, to be fair to her, there are multiple players in that box, and I think Mercado maybe if she had a little bit better positioning read that Mandasire was gonna send that and she could have floated back post and got something on it. But as it stood three players there, no one gets anything on it.
Speaker 2: Again, a lot of pressure here is Utah plays with the ball in their back line.
Speaker 3: They're playing with fire. The rainer able to take this away.
Speaker 2: Here's Fishlock has a lot of help to be able to keep possession for the rain. Now Here is Mesa taking it into Utah's area. Tipps out for a throw in coming. We look down and we see the first sub for Seattle getting ready to Mattie Doleen, the twenty one year old from Minnesota who signed with Seattle last January. You mentioned earlier as a ball goes right, a sneaky little shot quick off the throw in was right to the side netting. It'll go out for a goal kick. And Laura Harvey is a little bit frustrated that was taken so quickly off the throwing. But here comes this first change I mentioned Maddie Dollen. She has three appearances with the United States women's national senior team here and this year made her debut in January, and she comes on to the field. This is her fourth game here in twenty twenty six. Does not have a goal on her assistance season, after scoring four and assisting on four in twenty twenty five. She is now going to be your left winger here coming on for Britney Ratcliffe.
Speaker 5: Dang In.
Speaker 4: Laura Harvey mentioned this to us earlier in the week that the press she is asking of her front four Fishlock Mercado, Manda Year, Ratcliffe, now Dollen is a lot of work.
Speaker 5: It's a lot of work off the ball.
Speaker 4: It's constantly putting them under pressure, and so she knew she was going to rotate those players.
Speaker 2: Here's the Rain.
Speaker 3: Still with possession.
Speaker 2: Here's mint Menti China at the ball that's deflected out forlor A Seattle throwing. Harvey, her coaching staff, lots of yelling for movement here, ball towards the middle of the park. Utah, take it away and now a chance to potentially counter here on this left side they have space and they get going with La cass on this left side.
Speaker 3: Chance across comes into the middle.
Speaker 2: Mcclernan will deal with that one and send it out for a Utah throwing three nothing Utah here at Luminfield. You're in the fifty seventh minute. The Rain have thirty four minutes in stoppage time and a large uphill battle. But we mentioned it in the first half. Stephanie, We're doing a broadcast last summer Rain versus Chicago, and this was a nothing, three nothing Seattle lead going into the seventieth minute, and Chicago scored three goals and twenty minutes to come away with a three to three draw.
Speaker 3: Soccer is funny like that.
Speaker 2: You can be in a blowout one second and have a tie game the next.
Speaker 5: It is.
Speaker 4: It is funny like that, and it's really important for players to remember that this is a game of momentum shifts. They scored three goals in the first half, why can't we in the second?
Speaker 2: Here is rain getting in the way of what was a dangerous series of passes towards Seattle's box. Now back with Utah. Another chance here as they're in the middle of the park looking towards goal over on the right. Now, chance to cross it in. Ball comes in, tipped away by mcclernan, and we'll go all the way back out for Utah still in possession.
Speaker 3: Let's go down on to the sideline with Kwame.
Speaker 16: So I'm really loving the sub here. I think dialen coming in. You get a little bit more size, fresh legs, a little bit more pace. What you're hoping here is to get the ball into the box overloaded and hopefully we can get somebodies on the ball.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's.
Speaker 16: What that's what Harvey's intention is right now, and I think, I honestly think it's gonna make a major difference. And they're also overloading anytime the ball is on one side. You see Dialen come over, be that extra defender in that middle part. They're trying to make sure we put bodies close to the ball, win the ball in transition.
Speaker 21: So I'm loving it.
Speaker 2: For Seattle, let's say a giveaway on the back line and then a foul ride afterwards.
Speaker 3: It was a giveaway and a tough spot.
Speaker 2: And then we see sam Mesa there justging dragging down that attacker for Utah so they couldn't get something dangerous.
Speaker 3: But it will be a free kick here just.
Speaker 2: About yards fifteen yards outside of the box, flies in towards the back post. Rain get ahead to it. It ends up at Fishlock now to Matty Dollen. But Utah take it away and just send it into the rafters. Sit here at Loman Field a wishing shot. Not sure the point of that, but it will go kindly out for a goalkick for Claudia Dicky.
Speaker 4: And Thompson had a little smile there. I think she knew she was kind of just sending it. But you know, again, to the point the Royals are not slowing down. We thought maybe they'd sit in a low block and they'd keep the ball and they'd kind of could serve their energy because of this long road trip.
Speaker 5: No, they want this game to be four five zero.
Speaker 2: Certainly do is Now. Utah will make their first change the day. Leaving the field now will be Paige Cronin. Cronin had not appeared in a game yet in twenty twenty six. She was dealing with an injury. She makes her first start, first appearance of the season, and she scores in the first minute off the defensive giveaway. Coming onto the field is another forward for Utah, so it's a like for like change. It's Alex Sponstra forward slash midfielder coming on for Utah. Who here who will play a similar spot fishlock trying to get something going on the right side, but it's given away. Utah tried to clear, but it will only clear to sam Mezza.
Speaker 3: Mezza over on this left side, trying to find Curry.
Speaker 2: But Utah pick it out and they will clear it back all the way to mcclernan in Seattle's own end.
Speaker 4: And you know, at this point in the game, I don't think either coach would describe the style of play we're seeing as very clean. Neither team is maintaining really long stretches of possession. It's fairly bouncing back and forth. Neither team has a clear kind of strategy with how they're going forward with the ball. Yes, Utah has been dangerous, Yes has been dangerous in moments, but neither team to me is saying we know how to handle the ball. We're going to maintain it, We're going to possess it throughout the thirds.
Speaker 5: Of the field.
Speaker 2: This will be right now, a throw in coming from just inside of Utah's half. You will look to pick up the pressure. Right now. They're wined up in this four two three one set with Maddie Mercado sitting high about Mondaseer, Fishlock and Doleen and Monasir takes this ball away. There's the pressure we talked about. Montas here working on this left side. Chance to cross gets into that assist zone. Cross sit back takes a clip and that is going to be out for a corner kick here in the sixty first minute. A very opportune job by Coco Mandasire to take that ball away, make a nice move and create a Seattle corner in the sixty first Oh.
Speaker 5: She is so fast.
Speaker 4: She is such a fun player to watch. She has loads of space here in front of her. She starts driving towards the end line. She's able to bring her defender over and really, Justice does a great job blocking that from going back across the The goal.
Speaker 2: Be a Justice. Utah's backup last year and has turned into their starter this year, and she's done an excellent job tonight. Cocoa Mantas here now over. It'll be an in swinger. Here she goes short to Huerta. Huerta takes a deflection on her cross, headed away by a Utah defender, stays with Seattle. Here's mesa chance to keep this ball on the right side. She crosses in headed away again, stays with Seattle. Now Mandasier on this left side. She creates some space to fishlock back out to the rights. Here's do Leen now on the left. Chance across cross comes in and a great job I'm Mercado to get a foot to that one right in front of that left post, but she just cannot direct it on frame. It goes out for a goal kick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm lucky there. Where's doing a great job again of getting service into the box. She's had a couple of assists on the year. It continues to be a great part of her game. As Bombi mentioned earlier, Dleene's actually the one that ends up getting that in. But Mercado comes across the frame of the goal at the perfect time, tries to kind of do a flick with the outside of her foot.
Speaker 5: It just doesn't direct it back the goal the way she wanted to.
Speaker 2: Here's the rain taking this one away. Another defensive giveaway by Utah. Here's Mezsa on this right side. Chance to cross it in, but she has some help. Here's Bondas here working with her. There's also Bluertza. Mezza foot on the ball. Now crosses it in going towards the back post. Would be a justice is able to grab that one away for Uzhah her goalkeeper today will roll it out. Now. Here's Tahada working through the middle of the park, sending this all the way through and will not be able to reach any running Utah. A zacher will roll all the way into the arms of Claudia. Dickie quickly plays us out to the left. Seattle's trying to go fast. Now they're up picking up the base. Down three nothing. Here's Maddie Dallen rushing off the left, getting into the box, cuts in left footed, shot right towards the near post, but be a justice does a good job falling on that one right there at the post, and he would be Seattle attack and shot there from Maddie will go for nothing, but definitely again, these are the chances you want to see getting created.
Speaker 4: Here you do, and Doleen does a great job to really drive into this space. One brilliant thing that you can see in this play is actually Jefs Fishlock directing her. Jessicealcket's making a diagonal rerunt across Dollen, so she's able to keep driving centrally and has that time and space and she's telling her go, go, go to goal.
Speaker 5: And that's what.
Speaker 4: Senior leaders like that do. They tell you when to take those chances. And now they just need to finish up.
Speaker 3: Here's another Utah giveaway. Here's Doleen in the box.
Speaker 2: Helen crossed it shot and it goes off of Fishlock's footing. Jess Fishlock is down and her arm is up and she is waving for trainers. Jess Fishlock is down in the box. A referee today waving the trainers over. Jess Fishlock right now in an enormous amount of pain, holding her left ankle down in the middle of the box. This comes just five days after the announcement that Jess Fishlock will retire at the end of the twenty twenty sixth season, the last remaining original member of the.
Speaker 3: Rain team from twenty thirteen.
Speaker 2: The announcement came thirteen years to the day from her first Rain goal on April twenty first, twenty thirteen. Forty nine goals this season, only two behind Meghan Rapino for the most in club history. And right now she is down and she is with a trainer holding her left ankle. Stephanie in an enormous amount of pain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And she is not a player that goes down or stays down. So when she is down that she's she's injured, you know. And at different times players can can utilize fousand moments immediately she was asking for the trainer, and on that replay you can see it's so unfortunate. Marcado is shooting the ball, She's trying to jump to get out of the way. It hits her leg and she ends up falling awkwardly on her ankle.
Speaker 5: I really hope nothing comes a bit. I hope it's a bad twist.
Speaker 4: But she is down. She is in some very clear pain. So last thing you want to see.
Speaker 2: We're watching Jess Fishlock right now, laying on her back, her hands covering her face, clearly in an enormous amount of emotion. Right now is Jefs Fishlock. Where right now your fourteen year career, this is year fifteen. Is now multiple trainers are running out to her and they are bringing out the stretcher. Now for Jess Fishlock, the legend, three shields, three berths in NWSL Championships, the twenty twenty one NWSL MVP, seven time best eleven member in this league, third in NWSL history in minutes played at seventeen thousand, seven hundred and eighty five, and again just announced on Tuesday that this would be her last year.
Speaker 3: And on that shot, she awkwardly falls.
Speaker 2: And right now She is laying down a stretcher with multiple trainers down as everything has kind of come to a stop. Emory Adamis is getting ready to sub into this game for Jefs.
Speaker 4: Fishlock, and you can feel it in the stadium. I mean, these fans love Jeffs Fishlock. We've seen signs for her all day. She is the heart and soul of this team, and if this sidelines her over a little bit, she will continue to be the Jeff Fishlock. I know she will be as energetic on that sideline, but it is obviously devastating to see her down in any kind of pain, especially after the big week she's had.
Speaker 2: Right now, we're just seeing her. She is rolling her hands, still covering her face, teammates surrounding her, Claudia Dicky right next to her, as trainers are on the side. They're bringing the stretcher over and Jeff Fishlock will be put on the stretcher. The thirty nine year old from Wales. She signed two consecutive one year deals, first in November of twenty twenty four to come back for twenty and then she signed another one year deal in November of twenty twenty five to come back here for her final season in twenty twenty six. As the stretcher just leaves the field, you can hear the things and you can see the cast now on her left leg and left ankle, and the emotions on her face. It is. It's an emotional moment. I think for every Rain fan and every Rain player, everybody in this building watching and listening, this is a absolute club legend, one of the greatest to ever play this game, one of the greatest athletes I think in this city's sports history, as she is an MVP and took this team to multiple championship games. She has the most appearances in Wales national team history. And Jess Fishlock has left this game with a major injury on a stretcher, as we know, somehow continue to play. Here at Lumen Field, Utah leads three nothing and here they are counterattacking. Here in the sixty ninth minutes, ball's slipping to the back post. Here another chance at goal. Here shot goes into the arms of Claudia Dickie Covelosios put that on targets right at Claudia.
Speaker 3: Dickie, I mean, Stephanie.
Speaker 2: I'm wondering after a moment like that, where so much emotion for every player, and there's an enormous amount of motion in this building.
Speaker 3: Right now in a three nothing game.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, how do you move forward as a player on the field in this moments?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's devastating. Like we said, you can feel the energy. I'm sure the team feels the energy, right they feel the energy in the stadium.
Speaker 5: It's deflating.
Speaker 4: She's their leader, she's been their point person for the press. What they have to do is they have to go back to basics. That's what Laura Harvey's gonna tell them at half time in order to get back to this game.
Speaker 5: And it's true.
Speaker 4: Right now, whatever moment in the game you're at, you're thinking about connector pass, you're thinking about make your run, mark your player, put your shot on target. It is the only thing you can do when you feel like the emotion of the moment is too overwhelming to actually stay present and stay locked in and stay a competitor.
Speaker 2: All right now, it's a ball towards the southwest corner of the stadium, Utah already trying to maybe take it to their own corner there, but it will be the rain.
Speaker 3: Picking this up with a Dominis trying to earn possession.
Speaker 2: Here, here's a peasants, I'm alarte all the way to the back. Let's go down onto the sideline with Kwame.
Speaker 16: So with Emery coming on to the game, I think what we're trying to do here is give a lot more pace on the wings. Unfortunate that Jeff Fishlock went down, but now it gives an opportunity to drop Mindesser into the tense spot, who has been great on the ball, who has been great in transition and great and moving forward. You now have an opportunity to have two really pacy wingers and a target forward. And so I can see the Rain looking at an opportunity to play the ball forward over up and often and even from a deeper line, hoping for that flick on so that our two wingers can go and run to the ball and hopefully get some shots on the goal we had caught me.
Speaker 2: I think that's a really good point there, with a Damas and Balleen on those wings. Great years last year for both those players, but haven't seen goal contributions yet this season, and this would be a time for them to get on the scortion. Does the Rain pick up a turnover in Utah's in out of this right side with a damas domas a little flip over. She still has the ball dribbling towards the box. Chance to go in which has a football to montas here, but fed out by a Utah player and cleared away. Now pot by mcclernet, stays with Seattle here a couple of players down. When we continue play ball in the box from montas here held up no call.
Speaker 3: Into the arms of me and justice in gold.
Speaker 2: You know, it's interesting we talk about the emotions right now, not only in this three nothing game, but watching Jess Fishlock, the club legend, leave on a stretcher. Then the news on Tuesday of her retirement didn't come as a surprise to the team. That's something that Laura Harvey said that they knew right from the moment that Jess Fishlock walked through the doors this year. They knew that this would be her last year. So no surprise. But here's a chance for the rain. Chance from distance from Ocado and that goes off the crossbar again more woodward for the rain, but stays with Seattle. And here's NSSA in the middle of the park. The repper will hold.
Speaker 3: This up and he will point back as this is an injury.
Speaker 2: Here's Mea Justice, the goalkeeper for Utah down and she is rolling in a lot of pain. She is holding onto her right leg that ball that came off of the crossbar.
Speaker 3: Mea Justice for Utah.
Speaker 2: Went up to get to that ball and when she came down, Stephanie, she did not land well. And she is being treated by two trainers and three teammates right now on the side.
Speaker 4: And again another player going down and immediately referencing that she was in pain, and we're rewatching it now again.
Speaker 5: And that bar goes off the crossbar and she falls and.
Speaker 4: It doesn't look like she takes too weird of a landing, so maybe it was contact with her other knee.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's really hard to tell. She kind of comes down.
Speaker 4: It does look like she puts a lot of weight on that one leg, but it's really hard to know.
Speaker 5: Again, these are all competitors.
Speaker 4: The second that a player immediately is rolling around asking for a trainer, in those moments, you're concerned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she comes down on that right knee and right now two trainers are working with her. A couple of Utah players surrounding is well on one side, you know, Stephanie, we talk about, you know, trying to find more time and find more opportunities and get a ball in the back of the net. There is going to be at least about eight minutes added to this game, if not double digits. We will certainly play far, far past the ninety minutes, as we're in the seventy third minute right here at Luminfield, Jackson felt Stephanie Vrdouya kwamapaya on Sports Radio at nine to fifty kJ am coming at you with the first of around ten rain games on radio here in twenty twenty six. Thank you so much for joining us in this rain return to lumen Field. They've been away from home for quite a while, three games in Spokane where they played very well a three to one and one start to twenty twenty six. But right now down three to nothing to this Utah team with eighteen minutes to go, plus a lot of stoppage time, and still we are seeing multiple trainers continue to work with their goalkeeper. Mea Justice and you'd absolutely think that mea Justice is coming out of this game. And it's interesting. We talked about it earlier. Mea Justice, right now is the goalkeeper for Utah only because of a preseason injury to their normal starting goalkeeper, Mandy McGlenn. McGlynn has been their starting goalkeeper for a long time and then in the preseason she had a finger injury that caused her to miss all of their first six first five games. But this is her first game back of bea available. They put her on the bench. That gave me a Justice another chance, as Mia had had a successful start to this season and as me and we see me a Justice. She's right now kind of testing that right knee. She's bending it, trying to get some pressure on that, trying to get some weight, putting some weight on her trainer, seeing if she can actually give it a go. You see her jogging, Stephanie. This would be quite a after how much time she spent on the ground and in so much pain, this would be a little bit surprising if she's able to stay in this game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's hard.
Speaker 4: I mean you're looking at multiple things, right, I mean, they have a cushiony lead right now, three zero, and they don't need to worry about bringing in, you know, their normal starter to make sure they see this one out.
Speaker 5: However, you don't want to get the keeper in a position where.
Speaker 4: She's not ready to go, and so it looks like potentially Justice will stay in, and there's a lot of moving parts for them to make that decision. Here.
Speaker 5: It is a little shocking based on how long she stayed down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is shocking, but you heard it down there from the sideline. No changes me and Justice staying in. Here's Seattle attacking off to the right. Here's a Damis with that speed, perhaps trying to find a chance to cross it will be tipped out four a corner kick corner for Seattle here in the seventy sixth minute, and we see now Seattle getting ready to make three changes on the side. We get to those here in just a matter of moments. But we do have a corner kick coming here. Here will be the corner coming in. It's an end swinger going towards the middle of the box, tipped by Mason, but can't get a full foot on it. In Utah, we'll clear that one away. We're going to see three moves from Seattle in the form of Ryan Brown me official and has James Turner coming onto the park here in just a moment in this three nothing game, Seattle in possession in their own side of the field, and.
Speaker 4: You know this half is just all about disruptions, disruptions of injuries and disruption of time, multiple subs. I mean, this is it's really tough to keep momentum when you have all these changes.
Speaker 2: Bond of seriabl foul and Utah midfielder in there on end. So it'll be a free kick for the Royals. As we look down on the sideline, we see Laurel Harvey giving instructions to these players. It'll be a defender in Ryan Brown, a left midfielder, and James Turner and then be Official, the highly priced forward who was brought in last summer, still working back to full fitness from a major injuries she's had in recent years. We worked with the United States women's national team head coach Emma Hayes before the game. She unprompted named me official with somebody that she's watching to get back to that full fitness as a part of the national team for potentially the World Cup next year. In the Olympics in twenty twenty eight, Utah in possession goes out for a Royals throw in from the far side the right, and here comes that those three changes.
Speaker 3: The first change will be the.
Speaker 2: Official coming out of this field for Coco Mantasre Monasre, who leads Seattle today.
Speaker 3: At least see how this season.
Speaker 2: In goals full contributions couldn't do anything today. Also leaving the field is Sophia Fuertza is sheet of hearts, and also leaving the field is Sally Menti in the midfield. So what do we make of this, Stephanie, It looks like kind of a like for like with Ficial and Mondaseere.
Speaker 3: You have wheer'sa coming out brown coming in.
Speaker 2: That's a little bit like for like, and then as James Turner in the midfield, they're.
Speaker 3: Another like for like with Mente.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what I take on this is it's the same strategy.
Speaker 4: They're not changing formation, they're not changing what their tactics are here. They are giving some players some chances to come in, change the energy, get some experience, bring Fischal back right, get her some time in game.
Speaker 5: And really just to see this game out.
Speaker 4: I don't see this as you know, a giving up moment, but she's definitely saying, okay.
Speaker 5: Who we've had on hasn't worked.
Speaker 4: We need to get some new names in their new energy, and that's what we're seeing right now.
Speaker 2: We are indeed as Utah made a couple of changes of their own. We'll get to that here in a few minutes. But we now see the official on the field trying to create eternal rinch she does. Here's Dalleen picking it up on the left side. Has helped advancing forward now and the rain finds something here in the last twelve minutes and stop it this game. But Utah picks up a poor pass and they now have a chance to counter. You're on this left side. Here is one of the new members on this team coming onto the field is Yabbi Maria the park Now for the middle for Tanaka, it's knock on to the right side. A lot of space for Utah to cross it in as they look for this fourth shot and deflect it out by Dleen. Pressure on the ball is good if staying high for the ring and they can get a turnover, you hope to me and might be able to run onto something. Utah, now working for the position possession off the left, slips the ball in. Here is Tanaka to run this left side for Lacasse. We're taking away nicely there. I believe that is Ryan Brand, which came onto this field with a domis now working in possession, but a giveaway Utah, they give it right back then, right now in transition, but can't connect their passes. Stephanie, the moments right there where you need to be able to take a ball away and a work in transition as.
Speaker 3: A foul is called. Utah will have a free kick in Seattle's end.
Speaker 2: Those are the moments where you need to pick off those passes, move quickly and connect those passes. And that connection just hasn't happened.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and you're seeing the frustration there and them as a fowl. I mean, the team looks frustrated. The team looks a little stagnant. They are not able to cross this half line as a team. And I think when you're looking at the Royals attack sometimes you're like, wow, each player when you look up, there's a player moving to receive the ball.
Speaker 5: We're not seeing that with the rain, and instead they're giving away these.
Speaker 4: Small soft passes at midfield that I mean talk about deflating, losing Jess being down on this score line.
Speaker 5: That's deflating to finally.
Speaker 4: Win the ball back from a team that feels like they're relentless, and then to just give it right back to them. That is what makes you feel like you don't have any energy left in the tinna zaw.
Speaker 2: We'll have a freak kick here in Seattle's end, the ball going towards the back post headed away. That's Brown getting in the way of that one. Now here's dall Lee working on this left side, but immediately given back Utah at the edge of the bucks clipping a ball towards the back post. Good job by Seattle defenders to get in the way of that one. They are asking, though, for a foul. They're asking for a hand ball and nothing given initially. Vaar may look at this one again because there's lots of animated folks coming off of the Utah side and that will be deflected out for a corner coming for Utah. They're asking a look here as we will get a Utah substitution. And it is well. We talked about a few minutes ago that Utah keeper mea justice who had that injury and she is limping over the side. Is that right knee is not good enough to go and it will be Mandy McGlynn, their starter from twenty twenty five who's been out this year with an injury. She will take over back in goal and me A Justice. This may be it for me at Justice for a while. Mandy mcglenn's kind of the they're locked down starting goalkeeper.
Speaker 3: Mea Justice has done well here.
Speaker 2: Played every minute for the Royals as their keeper while Mandy has been hurt and she will sit down with that knee injury. This is a corner kick for Utah here in the northwest corner of lumen Field goes to the middle of the box, headed out by a Rain player. Headed again. It looks like it will be Seattle controlling. Yes, here's Mercado on this left side, tries to send the ball for to Daalen, but it's quickly hit out by Utah for a throw In eighty third minute at Lomenfield, Jackson Felt Stephanie Verdoya Qualmyampia Sports Radio nine to fifty am bringing you this Seattle Rain game as they find themselves with a three to nothing deficit to Utah late in this game, and the Royals pick it up on this right side cross coming in but nobody there for Utah, Seattle will happen. They will change the point all the way to this right side with Bryant Brown the official making a run long ball forward, but Utah will head that one away. Official does pick it up though Seattle has support coming on this left side. There comes Curry now on the left, Dahlen Dalen advancing towards the box, cuts in as mercado. If you can find some space attack this compact za defense. I think a team that works so on transition stays tight defensively. But over on this right side now for Brown inside a mezza the box. Now is Brown chance to cross, takes a little bit of a deflection and will roll all the way to Manny McGlynn and she will be able to walk with this one. And that's some confident body language by Utah right now up three to nothing with seven minutes and stoppers to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they should feel confident. In that last run of play, the rain had the ball. They were swinging it around the eighteen, very calm composed. But that's the play you see at the very beginning of the game. That's not the play you see when you're down three zero and you only have you know, ten or so minutes left to finish this game out. I think that is where we want to see some urgency. You know, there's still the intention, there's still the composure. I want to see Marcato just take that shot. She's at the top of the eighteen. She has some space, get back into this game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, earlier in the game when we saw a Cocoa monastery with an opportunity where where she picks up an Aaron pass and how a chance to believe it would score was to nothing at that point, and she hesitates for a moment, has to send the ball out right to Wuerta and the cross, unfortunate does not result in anything. But it's that moment to hesitation instead of just taking the immediately long distance shot after the giveaway, and that could have been something for Seattle, but ultimately it stayed to nothing. Utah scored again right before the halftime whistled to make it three to nothing. It has been three nothing since half because they have ball in possession. You're Forcado with a little pressure and you're up onto this right side d lean with pressure and now we'll go out for a Utah thrown about ten yards from the corner of stick here in the northeast corner of Lumenfield. And also you kind of look ahead, Stephanie, we see rain. They'll play again coming up this next Friday on the road, and then on May tenth as well.
Speaker 3: I really love the NWSL schedule and what they do with that.
Speaker 2: You know, most most of the time you have Major League Soccer playing on Saturdays. NWSL plays very heavily on Friday nights and Sundays as well. It really does create a if you're an American soccer fan, this great weekend stretch where you get NWSL on Friday nights, get MLS on Saturdays, get NWSL on Sundays. It's especially with the World Cup coming up here in just a couple of months. It's a good time to be a soccer fan in this country. As Utah here into the box they have the ball taken away and Seattle real take it. But like I was saying, Stephanie, it's a good time to be a soccer fan in the United States right now.
Speaker 5: It absolutely is.
Speaker 4: There's a little bit of a soccer frenzy and you can find it at any moment. But I will say it's a little tough on the players right. So this is a quick turnaround. Sunday to Friday is a pretty quick turnaround, especially if you add the travel in, especially if you have to add a tough loss, potentially some injuries. This is a hard turnaround for the ring for sure.
Speaker 2: Fou called sam Mezza not happy with that one, and hear the booze here at movement field from the fans. Utah will have a free kick from the Rain end. I'm impressed by these Seattle Rain fans. Very few have left the building here as we are now in the eighty seventh minute of a three to nothing game. Fans are here. It's an absolutely beautiful night here in Seattle, and they are enjoying the remaining minutes of this game and love just for the confidence aspect of going into the next game on Friday to get something here in the dying moments of this game with Utah, with this free kick welling towards the back post, here comes Dickey. Dickey punches that away. A lot of contact, foul will be called, but a nice punch there from Claudia Dickey to keep that out of danger. With that foul and the contact there from the midfielder Mina Tanaka of Utah. That is why she is the United States starting goalkeeper. Her ability to take command and make plays.
Speaker 5: Like that, she said, with some casual confidence.
Speaker 4: She comes out, she looks kind of like what people are running into me, you know, But she immediately gets up, grabs the balls, ready to go.
Speaker 2: Here's Seattle again picking up a giveaway here on the left side. Here's Dala le that get tipped away for a corner. Let's see nope, d is a goal kick for Utah here in the eighty eighth minutes. If you're just joining us, you know even more than the three nothing score line right now. The big news came just about twenty minutes ago when the legend for the Seattle Rain over the last fifteen years, Jess Fishlock, went down with a major injury to her ankle, looked like her lower leg.
Speaker 3: She was stretchered off.
Speaker 2: Lots of emotions for her as she covered her face with both hands, clearly in an enormous amount of emotion. The tw twenty one NWSLMVP, who's done so many amazing things for this club, and it was just announced on Tuesday that this is her last year. She is now out of this game with that injury, your emotional rain team trying to find one last moment of happiness from what has been a sad day here at lumen Field owned the box, the official trying to get on the end of that one. She does you have some help now it's taken away by Utah. Some good defending there, but quidn't giveaway. We'll give the ball back to Seattle. That should be a foul. And yes, it is a freakick coming for Seattle in Utah's half.
Speaker 21: Stuff.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you know, like you said, it has been a sad day.
Speaker 4: But there is somewhat of a poetic nature to this because we are watching those young players that we talked about at the beginning of the game coming up in the women's national team system and also developing here under Laura Harvey.
Speaker 5: This is what Fishawk is doing.
Speaker 4: Her legacy is these younger players that are now taking the field and figuring out how to lead this team in the worst of moments, which Fluck has done over the years.
Speaker 2: The ball on the free kick comes into the box and goes all the way towards the keeper. It's fisial actually getting a body to it, but she cannot do anything with it. It will go out for a goal kick in stuff.
Speaker 3: It's interesting because you look at the Seattle.
Speaker 2: Rain as a franchise, and over these last three four years, the transformation of this club almost mirrors. It's kind of fitting that m Haes is here today. It mirrors what's happened with the United States women's national team, where it was very much kind of a the the Elder States women who are part of this program, and little by little, one player by one player, they have kind of exited the United States program, and one by one those lifetime legendary players for Seattle have also exited. As Utah will control this ball with their own end with McGlenn, who will send this forward. You've had the retirement a few years ago of Pino Megan Rapino, of course, the legend. Then just last year you had Lou Barnes, the player with the most appear in club history. As we see, nine minutes are out of here, a looming field. We've hit the full. Ninety nine more minutes will be played here in this three nothing game. I'll get back to this in a moment. As Seattle tries to attack up this left side, but a foul, he's not called. Here comes Seattle still with the ball, they're playing advantage. I'll get back to that kind of narrative in that conversation in a moment. But Cross comes in, Utah will cut it out and Seattle will have to regroup. So you had Megan Raupino retire a few years ago, lou Barnes, who had appeared in more NWSL games than any player in the history of this league. And last year she dealt, of course with an injury, and last year she hung up the cleats and she is now finished. And then this year now it is Jess Fishlock. And one by one, these players who have dealt with injuries, they've dealt with kind of you know, goodding towards the end of their career, and every year it seems to be kind of another player hanging them up. And this is the year for Jess Fishlock. And you just at this moment really hope that that isn't the last time she sees the field. It isn't anything horrific, and we do get to see a little bit more Jess Fishlock.
Speaker 3: Here in twenty twenty six is here's a.
Speaker 2: Damis on this right side, which she meets three Utah defenders, he goes down, no call, couldn't do much with that. Some booze in, but just dribbled into the middle of three defenders. But Stephanie, it is interesting and you can talk about the youth and that kind of element of this is the Jet Fishlock legacy is getting these next era of players like Emria Damas who just dribbled into those defenders and getting quality out of those young and up and coming players. It's been interesting to see this transition over these last four years where one by one we see young players getting more time, stepping up, having more responsibilities.
Speaker 4: And you know, some people might say that's what happens in every league, that's what happens all the time, but this is unique the NWSL. Starting in twenty thirteen, we have players that have been here since the beginning, since the league did and have a CBA, since we didn't have sixteen teams, since we I mean, you can point to the number of things that this league has changed dramatically for these young players. And maybe they don't want to hear, or maybe they do, but a lot is to credit those players that have stuck through really tough years that probably played in multiple different professional leagues throughout the world in off seasons just to keep a living and those you know we're talking about, Fishlock, Barnes, you know, all of them and plenty across the league have set the stage for these players to get obviously what they deserve and to have these best moments. And that's why I was saying it is kind of this poetic nature of of course, we don't hope Fishlock is out for the rest of the year for the team's chances and for herself.
Speaker 5: She deserves more than that.
Speaker 4: But I guarantee you her attitude will be I'm either on the field or I'm on the sideline, and I'm carrying this team through because that is.
Speaker 5: What they have done their entire career.
Speaker 2: Right now, Rain had a throw in that they would continue to have possession.
Speaker 3: It's taken away by Utah, but a foul called there.
Speaker 2: On Marie, one of the goal scorers tonight, as Utah got goals in the first minute by Paige Cronin, who was making her first start in first appearance of the entire year after dealing with an injury. She scored in the first minute after a defensive giveaway had Maria the player just mentioned she got a goal in the seventh minute on a ball that was deflected off of Jess Fishlock's shoulder, and then Lacas scored in the forty fifth minute on another defensive giveaway that got the Utah.
Speaker 3: Royals their three goals tonight.
Speaker 2: And it was also we were talking to Laura Harvey about you know, Fishlock being you know, kind of this this intense player, and you talked about playing with her as well, and we're asking her kind of, you know, about the leadership angle of where this team goes when Fishlock retires, because it is kind of the last of those three veteran greats from the start, and she was saying, like, listen to you know, Sophia Wertz is already a leader on this team. Phoebe mcclernan is already a leader on this team from the back line, and they will step up and they can be the lead moving forward with the departures of these legends. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, And how exciting, How exciting that those players have been able to work with these players for years and kind of learn what it means to step into those roles and you know, it's it means great things for the reign. Like we talked about the amazing young players that they have in this system. It's so exciting to see them out on the field, even tonight in the worst of circumstances.
Speaker 5: They're creative, they're fast, you know, adamis fisial. I mean, they're great on the ball.
Speaker 2: This is really kind of what you want to see right now because on the field you have twenty year old Emory Adamas, you have twenty four year old me Official, twenty one year old Matti Dahali, twenty five year old Matty Mercado zam Mez is only twenty four years old. I know Sally Meni exited, but Sally Meni a Roosevelt High School alum, and she's only twenty four years old. It's say a lot of young, freely talented attacking players, so many of whom are also part of the United States win this national team system, who are going to continue to get opportunities under Emma Hayes, who joined us earlier during our pregame show and who is here in the building tonight, and she is watching these young players develop through the United States system. And if the Rain can hold on to these young talented players. They will develop and be the next era of greats. But is this kind of this Rain team that was kind of in the midst of this kind of few year transition.
Speaker 3: Because they have possession now in.
Speaker 2: Utah side of the field, they try to change the point of attack to Brown here on the right side. She will play it back to Emily Mason as mclernan on the other side of the field. We're into the ninety sixth minute of which should be about ninety nine minutes of play here tonight, a three to nothing game for Utah. Crossing to the left side of the field, Utah with numbers here will they look to add a fourth? Here is Lacasse. She has some help, but she will simply play it back and now Utah taking more seconds, just picking this around with this three nothing lead and just a few minutes left on the clock, not too much pressure from the Rain.
Speaker 3: You can see in the decision making the.
Speaker 2: Runs for Utah. It almost is sort of looking like a little bit of a glorified training session of the moment. Here's Steph. I think every player out there knows the situation at the moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really tough.
Speaker 4: There's moments in the game where you know you're still in it, and then there's moments where you know the reality of coming back slowly starts to fade away.
Speaker 2: Well, and now right now it looks like sam Mez is down. She is slow to get up, she is in quite a bit of pain. And there she is now holding her right thigh, it looks like, and she has a hand to her head now, both arms over her face.
Speaker 3: There might just be some cramps though.
Speaker 2: Looks like as James Turner is coming over to help with those cramps. And you just you know that's in the moment in a three nothing game, weight in this you just hope steph for no more injuries after what happened to fish Slow.
Speaker 4: Absolutely there's a point where you're like, it's it's not worth it. Don't go into the crazy tackle in the last minute, you know. But I will say Fishlock was the player that always would it didn't matter if we were down three zero.
Speaker 5: And it's the ninetieth minute.
Speaker 4: She is running straight towards the goal and sam Meza jumping up there. It did look like it was a little bit of cramping. I mean, one of our teammates came over and helped her stretch out. I'm pretty sure the trainers on the field would say, do not touch her if it's not crampy.
Speaker 5: You know, stay away, don't That is my job. But she's up and looks like she's fine.
Speaker 2: Now into the ninety eighth minute, you don't expect that our referee today, Matt Thompson, will add too much at all to this game. As Utah now work in possession a foul by Seattle, we will give a free kick to the Royals in Seattle's end. As we get just to the final few moments, we will have a postgame show tonight. I'm sure postgame show to finish up to our broadcast tonight to break down this three nothing game so far are likely win here by the Utah Royals tonight at Women Field. Utah will just send this ball at the corner headed by Ryan Brown that they will hold possession. Utah will but Aaron Pass will go out for a throw in for Seattle. There's a few seconds to go in this game. Throwing comes headed on.
Speaker 3: Utah worked in possession, taken away, he's.
Speaker 2: Official official get something going forward. She's pulled back but does a great job to get around a defender. Now switches the point of attack to this left side. Ball to Doleen in the middle of the park, back to James Turner, back to this left side. Now mclernan chance to cross it into the box. Four official official get ahead to it. She can't. Falley is called as official pulled down a defender and it will be a free kick for Utah's goalkeeper Mandy McGlynn in her own end. And the clock has struck ninety nine. If we look to Matt Thompson, he brings the whistle to his mouth, has the right hand in the hair, and there is the final whistle here tonight at Loomin Field. A disappointing night for the Seattle Rain as they fall at home to Utah by a score of three to nothing.
Speaker 28: And perhaps more impactful and more important, Jes Fishlock a major injury in the second half. We will await word from head coach Laura Harvey and she learns what the status is of the legend Jess Fishlock.
Speaker 3: We will take a break here, we will come back.
Speaker 2: Get more thoughts here on the post game show Jackson Felt, Stephanie Roduit and Wamia Paya. This is Seattle Rain soccer on Sports Radio nine fifty km.
Speaker 15: It seems a lot of car dealers are turning down inventory from the factory. That's pretty crazy, right, because Sunset Key of Auburn is taking all the new key is they can get from the factory. In fact, Sunset has tons of brand new keys, a bunch of them with the transport raps still on them. You name it, Celto's Gas, Sportage Gas and Hybrid, Currendo Gas and Hybrid, Carnival Gas and Hybrid, neuro Gas Hybrid and ev tell a Riot, EV six and EV nine and more on the way. So if you're shopping for a new Kia, having trouble finding what you really want, and you don't mind looking at one with a little transportation wrap still on it, you'll brabblesly find exactly what you want at Sunset Key of Auburn and more.
Speaker 10: Look, it's not what you pay, it's what you get.
Speaker 15: And you just get more at Sunset with warranty protection for life and oil changes for life included on.
Speaker 10: Every qualifying new Kia.
Speaker 15: You just get more at Sunset, including more new Kia selection. And people do like that.
Speaker 5: We want to see in a key, begin find sun zac Key, Sunset.
Speaker 24: Kia of Auburn.
Speaker 12: All Right, golf fans, this is your last chance to get your hands on the twenty twenty six Around the Sound Golf Pass, your opportunity to golf nine of the best courses in the Northwest for just two nineteen.
Speaker 2: Do the math.
Speaker 12: That's less than twenty five bucks around. It's fantastic news.
Speaker 1: But here's the catch.
Speaker 12: There are only a few left, and when they're gone, they're gone. So don't miss your chance to play amazing courses like Avalon Lakeland Village, the Cedars at dungeons Port, Ludlow and more. Get your golf season off to a great start and give your wallet a break from regular greens fees. Are you around the Sole Golf Pass Pick them up while they last at Seattle dolfpass dot com.
Speaker 22: Fuel your passion at America's Car Museum Fun for all ages. It's more than a museum, It's a full throttle experience. Did you love Ford versus Ferrari? See the real icons in the Birth of the American Supercar curated by Steve Salem, featuring legendary Shelby Cobra to send g T forties, enjoy cruise ins drive ins under the Stars and next generation racing simulators. Spring the family, Call your friends and jump start a day of excitement and discovery. Plan your visit today at America's Car Museum dot org. Volume crisis, huge selection, and it's all happening. It's to Coma Dodge Chrystler Chief and Ram.
Speaker 11: High Ampliment is over the huge to Comma Dodge Pressure Cheepen Ramp and we've got fun beatable deals on over three hundred news G four by hors and Ram Trucks. Discover a massive selection of new G four by Horse Night, including the legendary jeep brand Jeroche, the most awarded sub ever. We're making it easy. Just come see us and scoring criminal savings like this right now.
Speaker 10: Listen to twenty twenty six cheap Wrangler Willa's four by four including all estimated taxes and fees for just four to thirty six a month for thirty six months. Save up to nine thousand off MSRP on new twenty twenty five JEP Grand Cherokee four by four starting in just thirty two thousand, nine ninety or get extreme off road capability and Lisa new twenty twenty six Jeep Gladiator Mahaffe four x four for just four seventy seven a month for thirty nine months.
Speaker 11: With over one hundred and fifty jeps available, We've got you covered.
Speaker 10: We've got financi for.
Speaker 11: Everyone, and we're paying crazy prices for your trade in No matter where you live, visit Tacoma jeep dot com or see when you get here. It's all happening right here on the corner thirty eight in southa kombe Away.
Speaker 10: The intersection of savings Declaration of deals is on now. See Tacoma jeep dot com for details. Are called pound two fifty, keyword nu.
Speaker 23: G number one on your car radio PRESEC and the Neon approved iHeartRadio f This is KJR AM at KJBHD two cl free never sounded so good.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the field, Welcome into the postgame show. Seattle rain falling tonight at home by a score of three to nothing to the Utah Royals. Utah got out to a very quick start a first minute goal of fifty first second goal by Paige Cronin. They followed that up with a goal in the seventh minute that came off of the shoulder of Jeess Fishlock, and then a goal in the forty fifth minute as well by Chloe Lacasse, and that gave them their three goals in the second half. And probably the most important thing to talk about coming out of this game, Jess Fishlock a major injury as she went down and was then stretchered off a few moments later. Let's get some final thoughts on this game, Stephanie Vrdoya kwamea paya, Steph. I'll start with you and your thoughts coming out of this three nothing loss.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think ultimately this was a little bit a mess of their own making from the rain. I think if you look back at this game, the bright thing for Laura Harvey to see is that they weren't outplayed. They made mistakes and the Royals capitalized on that. So going for forward, it is all about composure from that back line, being able to play out with confidence. Dicky mclernin, They just need to be able to figure out a way to keep that ball moving forward with some surety. And then on the other side they need to get some more stuff on frame. I mean in the attack they had Montecira, they had some good players that they're creating some electric moments, but it wasn't really enough to test them too many times, but big asterisks to crossbars, and anytime you get two crossbars you just feel a little unlucky. So, you know, overall, I think there's things they can work on. And it's a quick turnaround to Friday.
Speaker 2: Let's go down on to the field of kwame. What did you see out of this game?
Speaker 16: You know, I think this is an inflection point. I think it's really important for every team to have an experience like this. I think so far in the season, the rain have done their job and the things that they have done have given them positive results. Right, Ultimately, they've had a really good start to the season. I think that they've been doing the right things. They've been in the right form of play, the right mindset. It's time for every team to get one of those moments where you do all the right things but nothing pans out. I think it's a really really important mental note for them to take in and say, hey, you know what, at times, we're gonna get beat down and if this happens again to start the game, maybe we go down one zero early. How do we then change the game? How do we reframe the flow of the game, how do we get back into it? So I think it happens to everybody, and I think, honestly, this was a good moment for the Rain to take in. They did a great job. They attacked really well overall an even games. So how do we take this as a lesson and move on?
Speaker 2: Absolutely and call me great stuff on the sideline all day and the question of where do we go from here?
Speaker 3: How do the rain move on?
Speaker 2: We will take a break, We'll come back and talk about what's next for the Rain. This is the postgame show following a three to nothing defeat for Seattle against Utah. We'll have more next and wrap up the postgame show on Sports Radio nine to fifty km.
Speaker 8: What up, folks, Bucky Jacobson here, Listen up, Hunters and anglers. The Washington Apartment of Fish and Wildlife just made the upcoming season a lot easier. The new my WDFW mobile app is here. Buy your licenses, see your hunting and fishing licenses, tag your elk, deer, turkey, even black bear, all on your phone. Harvest reporting and catch record cards have never been easier with this offline mode allowing you to skip the paper hassle no more lost tags are waiting for mail. It's all on your phone. Just tap tag and enjoy the great outdoors. Download the MYWDFW app today, available in the Apple App Store or Google Play. Washington's Wild just got a lot easier to enjoy.
Speaker 9: It's Mike home grin. When you spend your life in football, you learn the importance of a reliable team when it comes to taking care of your vehicle. The team at Toyota of Cookland is as good as it gets. The Toyota of Crookland Service department is fast, professional and committed to doing the right job. They use genuine Toyota parts and the latest diagnostic tools to keep your car performing at its best. You can always get into service at Toyota Krookland because no appointment necessary. Toyota of Corookland Service you can count on every mile.
Speaker 17: What's up?
Speaker 10: I want a new phone? Have you seen any good deals?
Speaker 17: Everyone has free phones.
Speaker 2: But when I switched to T Mobile, I got more value and so much more nice streaming in.
Speaker 5: Cuting and trouble benefit and the.
Speaker 10: Best part, the price of your talk, text and data is guaranteed for five years.
Speaker 29: Get more benefits and more value at T Mobile family saving get a five year price guarantee switch now at T mobile dot com. Qualifying plan requires the price guarantee on talk, text and data exclusions like faxus and fees applying cetmobile dot com.
Speaker 10: Hey deck Fane here.
Speaker 12: There have been plenty of great golf days already in twenty twenty six, and we know there are many more to come. That's why you need to wait no longer and grab your twenty twenty six around the Sound Golf Pass offering nine rounds of golf at some of the Northwest best courses including white Horse, Avalon, Lakeland Village, the Cedars at dungeons Port, Ludlow and Moore, all for just two nineteen. Why pay more when you don't have to. The only bad news is they're going fast. There aren't many left, so pick one up now while they last only at Seattle Golf Pass dot com.
Speaker 18: How is your brain? It was great until I stopped for gas. Prices have gone up almost a dollar with no end insight. I might have to start watching how much I drive.
Speaker 19: That's exactly why I use Upside. I never pay full price for gas with the free Upside app Upside Yes, Upside, It's the free app that gives you cash back just for buying the gas you're already buying. So even with the rising gas prices, I'll never have to limit how much I drive.
Speaker 17: Does that actually add up to anything?
Speaker 19: Just last year I made over two hundred dollars with the Upside app.
Speaker 18: Wow, that's serious extra cash. I'm downloading the free Upside app right now.
Speaker 20: Download the free Upside app to earn cash back on the gas you're already buying. Use promo code Gallen twenty five for an extra twenty five cents per gallon bonus on your first take.
Speaker 2: You can cash out.
Speaker 20: Any time, write your bank account or an e gift card for Amazon and other brands. Just download the free Upside app and use promo code Gallon twenty five for a twenty five cents per gallon bonus on your first fillup. That's Gallin twenty five.
Speaker 21: Offers vybody userlocation. Go to upside dot com Terms of conditions.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Lomanfield. Welcome back to the postgame show Seattle Rain following tonight to the Utah Royalist by a score of three to nothing. Here at Luman Field. In this game, Jess Fishlock went out with a major injury in the second half. We will wait to hear word from head coach Laura Harvey on her status as we move forward.
Speaker 3: But in terms of what's.
Speaker 2: Next ahead for the Seattle Rain, there will be a match coming up this coming Friday. It's gonna be a road match in Houston against the Houston Dash. That's a five o'clock kickoff Pacific time. That match will be on Fox thirteen plus. On the radio side, our next broadcast will be on Sunday May tenth, as the Rain are right back here at Luminfield to face the Washington Spirit. That will be a four o'clock kickoff here on Sports Radio nine to fifty km on Sunday, May tenth. We'll have a three forty five pregame there on that Sunday for Rain versus Washington. But focusing in what's you know just coming up very very soon here, Stephanie.
Speaker 3: It is the game on Friday.
Speaker 2: It's a quick turnaround, and it's a team that will certainly be motivated coming off of this three nothing loss.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, I think sometimes these losses kind of as Kwame said, it's an inflection point. You either you put it behind you, you move on. You almost forget it happened, except to let it build that fire and to say we can't have another one. To know those we're not going out, We're not losing three zero, We're not starting slow. So the biggest focus for them is how are we going to travel and recover this week and make sure that we are ready to come out showing Houston we're a different team than played on Sunday.
Speaker 2: No defensive giveaways. You want to keep the ball on the back end, not give anything easy away. And hopefully also no injuries. We definitely don't want to see another injury. After that news from Jess tonight, make sure to stay tuned to social media and especially rain FC accounts, as we will get more information from head coach Laura Harvey on the status of Jess Fishlock. We all are sending our best to her that she is not too injured and we'll be able to return point in twenty twenty six. This is, of course, her last season. She announced on Tuesday that she's retiring, and last thought Stephanie on her that decision and that announcement that came earlier this week that this is her final year. Prior to what happened tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it makes it especially devastating. It's her last year.
Speaker 4: You want her to play every single game, every moment that she has to see through her legacy. Like we said, though, her legacy is more than just the games she's playing at this point. She has taught these young players how to come up in this system, she has taught them how to work with Laura Harvey, and she's leaving an amazing legacy. So what we hope for her is that she gets to reap the joy, the benefit of what she's given this program and she gets to put the Seattle Rains best foot forward for all the remaining matches. If not that, hopefully she's on the sideline with them.
Speaker 3: Hopefully.
Speaker 22: So.
Speaker 2: We will talk to everybody on May tenth for the next Rain game here at home against Washington again three forty five pre game, four o'clock kickoff on Sunday, May tenth. Rain play again this coming Friday in Houston at five o'clock on Fox thirteen Plus. Thanks to every with our broadcast, Craig back in the studio, Terry Ryan, our engineer here on site, our broadcast producers, Kee Dunning and Jordan Thompson, our broadcaster is here. Thank you so much to Qualmea Paia on the sideline and Stephanie Burgoya. Welcome to our rain broadcast. My name is Jackson Felt. We are excited to be bringing you ten or so rain games on radio throughout twenty twenty six. And the good news we can only go up from here, and this team will certainly go up, and we expect many wins ahead in the season. So stay tuned all season here sports Radio nine to fifty KM for these rain games, the next one coming on May tenth. Everybody, have a good rest of your evening, a good rest of your weekend, and a good week ahead.
Speaker 3: Take care. Westwood one Sports is coming up next.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to Seattle Rain Soccer, an exclusive presentation of Sports Radio nine point fifty kJ