Speaker 1: You're in Fredericksburg or around Fredericksburg? I am, yes.
Speaker 2: Are you familiar with Gulricks I hope I'm saying it right?
Speaker 1: Yes, and in what way? I'm sorry one more time.
Speaker 3: It's kind of a downtown Staples.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course it is. Of course it is. And you're aware of the big grand reopening.
Speaker 3: I'm aware?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that's on Friday. Well, I don't know why I'm talking to you like that. You already know?
Speaker 1: All right? Very good? Have you ever been there before?
Speaker 3: I've been there a couple of times. I did not grow up here, so I don't. I'm not that deep into the lore. But I went there maybe ten years ago for lunch, and they give you like a sandwich your grandma would make in a little bag of skaeir chips.
Speaker 2: Right. Where do you now? You said you're not from here? Where are you from?
Speaker 3: Originally from the West coast?
Speaker 1: Okay? Could you zero in a little more?
Speaker 3: Why it's a cryptic southern California?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Do you remember Pirate Radio? Do you remember Pirate Radio?
Speaker 3: I do? I was young, but yes, I do remember. It was the coolest it was.
Speaker 1: Do you remember it?
Speaker 2: Like Gnarley Charlie and Russell the Love Muscle and Brother Bill in the Big WATUSI.
Speaker 3: I feel like I need to say yes to you.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was Russell the Love Muscle.
Speaker 3: That's an interesting choice.
Speaker 1: Okay, ma'am, you know that's not my real memory. Now, that's what I'm here. A child, all right, very good.
Speaker 3: I was literally a child.
Speaker 2: That's a me too, me too, all right, all right? No, that was Kathleen, baby Kathleen. Yeah, she was there, all right, very good, very good, Thank you, ma'am, thank you.
Speaker 5: Does she know what's happening to Kevin D's right now?
Speaker 1: Oh God, damn it.
Speaker 2: Oh I should have told her with the problems in too, Luca Lake. Oh, call back, gul Ricks. This place sounds awesome, and I feel stupid for not knowing of it, But I like how she described it. It's a place where like your grandmother would make a little sandwich for you. Goulerix is set to reopen following a four year restoration four years wow.
Speaker 1: First opened in eighteen sixty nine.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: Gulerix is preparing to welcome customers once again at its grand reopening on Friday, August seventh. Located on Caroline Street, Gulerix closed for four years.
Speaker 1: To undergo an intensive restoration.
Speaker 2: It'll hold a ribbon cutting at eleven o'clock on Friday to commemorate the grand reopening. First fifty guests and attendance will receive free Gulris merchandise. The building itself goes back to eighteen oh eight.
Speaker 5: I was gonna ask you how someplace survives being closed for four years? Yeah? Is it its legacy of being one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 2: Years America's longest running soda fountain?
Speaker 1: What really?
Speaker 2: America's longest running soda fountain reopens in Fredericksburg.
Speaker 5: Oh, that's pretty cool, superlative.
Speaker 2: The dining area has expanded for fifty includes counter high top seating in banquettes.
Speaker 1: It also includes a revitalized retail area. That's fine.
Speaker 6: Um.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's got like the look at the little soda fountain count counter.
Speaker 5: I see the picture. Very charming.
Speaker 1: Isn't that cool?
Speaker 5: Around for one hundred and fifty years away? For four you said it opens again Friday Friday? How packed? Is this gonna be? Probably insanity?
Speaker 1: I would think so.
Speaker 2: Chicken salad, egg salad, grilled cheese. The soda fountain will also serve hand mixed coke along with cherry vanilla, raspberry, orange and chocolate sodas, plus metal tin milkshakes and malts.
Speaker 5: You're missing one thing. Yeah, you're missing one thing that I feel like they have to have. Not yeah, even if it's not in the article.
Speaker 1: Egg creams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, oh they better have egg creams. But you don't know for sure it's not in the article. They better have egg creams. And I'll tell you what. Given my given a choice between a milkshake and a malt, a hundred times out of one hundred times, you go with malt. A good malt is better than a good milkshake, But a good milkshake is better than a half assed malt.
Speaker 5: This is why you're my surrogate father. My dad felt the same way.
Speaker 1: I loved a malt.
Speaker 5: He loved a malt.
Speaker 2: Malt are great, Malt are a home run, But more milk powder?
Speaker 5: Is that all it is?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Say again is a power.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that voice is better when it comes from Diane. O, malt are good.
Speaker 1: No, and it's a stupid name. It's a stupid name. Malt.
Speaker 4: No, I like that?
Speaker 2: Oh, no, like milkshake. You know what you're getting malts dumb? But it is again. Good malt is a thousand times better than good milkshake, but a bad malt?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 5: Egg cream is on the menu?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, and by the.
Speaker 5: Way, taking egg cream and a malt absolutely.
Speaker 1: Doctoring? Feeling a little flemmy? Oh god, you know what? You won't jog home after that? Where am I going? Line one?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 1: Elliot at the morning?
Speaker 2: Hello?
Speaker 7: Why can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I got you?
Speaker 1: Who's this?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 7: My name is Chelsea and I'm from Fredericksburg.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, how are you?
Speaker 7: I'm great?
Speaker 3: How are y'all this morning?
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 2: Did you move to Fredericksburg from Los Angeles like the last lady?
Speaker 7: No, sir, I've been here since today.
Speaker 4: I was born.
Speaker 2: Fredericksburg is the Los Angeles of the uh of the area. Uh?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Are you familiar with with gol Rix? I?
Speaker 4: Sure, I am? Is it?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 1: Is it as awesome as I want to believe it is?
Speaker 7: It's probably even more awesome than you want to believe. It's a lovely place in town, and we are so excited that it's going to reopen.
Speaker 2: I can't believe they've been closed for four years. I say that like I knew, but that's a lot that No, no, but think about it, that's a long time to be gone.
Speaker 1: And back up four years.
Speaker 2: They had just started coming out of COVID and then shut down for four years.
Speaker 7: I think the whole town kind of knew that, like it was closed, but it was never gone, like the windows were covered with paper, but it was never a doubt that it would come back to town. It's such a staple, it's been there forever. It feels like the kind of place.
Speaker 3: You could imagine your grandparents going.
Speaker 7: God, everybody says that like it's yeah, it's it's very old, but feels like you're just popped back in time there. It's awesome, is it?
Speaker 2: And I love I love like that dumb like I'm listen, I'm only looking at pictures, but I love like that soda fountain counter, Like.
Speaker 1: That looks awesome. That looks cool.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's that's really where you order. You really stand right up there.
Speaker 1: Hey, I ask you this, have you ever had have you ever had? Are there malts good?
Speaker 7: Yes, malts are good. I cannot attest to an egg cream.
Speaker 3: I have not had one.
Speaker 7: But if you're going you have to get a cherry coke.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, cherry coke.
Speaker 1: No, you go egg cream over cherry coke.
Speaker 5: You could probably do a third.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just.
Speaker 7: Have to have all three drinks because you cannot go into gule Ricks and not get something from that soda fountain.
Speaker 2: When you say you've never had an egg cream, you mean at gule Ris, but you've had an egg cream before.
Speaker 7: No, I'm embarrassed to tell you I've never had one before.
Speaker 1: You should be embarrassed.
Speaker 3: You should be embarrassed you, I'm embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's like saying like, oh, I've never had bacon, Like that's crazy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Wow, all right.
Speaker 2: I'd like you to get in there and get an egg cream. I bet it's a good one too. As a matter of I can tell you a thank you, ma'am.
Speaker 1: I can tell you the last place we had egg creams. We together. We were together when I know I had one.
Speaker 5: You have one in Vegas?
Speaker 1: You haven't had some bagel Mania. That's the last one I had.
Speaker 5: I had one in New York over the.
Speaker 1: Fourth Did you really? Good?
Speaker 6: For you?
Speaker 1: Great Glenn's.
Speaker 5: If you look on Yelp, there's a fourteen year old that gave it two stars at Glenn's dinete. Yeah it was delicious.
Speaker 1: Yeah, God, egg creams are so good. Now can I ask this?
Speaker 5: Are you walking with your own egg cream drink carrier?
Speaker 1: Oh like the seven to eleven thing? Or you went like, have three beverages? I have three beverages.
Speaker 5: I don't really know the backstory, but someone wrote that the town panicked when they saw their their sign on the corner come down four years ago. I don't know if it was then or more recently. It does say on their Facebook page that it just needed a little love. It's back, brighter than ever and ready to welcome Fredericksburg once again.
Speaker 1: Hi Elliott in the morning. Hello, Yeah, Hi, who's that?
Speaker 4: Hey Elliott? This is Al from up in Spotsvania.
Speaker 1: Hey, how are you doing?
Speaker 4: Al good sir? You were asking about Gulrich's. My stepson is actually one of the new chefs that's going to be working there. I might be able to answer some of your questions.
Speaker 1: The Uh, well, yeah, don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you know, what was it, Tyler, What was the thing with the with the sign that the sign came down or something like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was right after COVID when they shut down the sign came down and everybody was having a fit because they thought it was going to be gone forever, right, so did people? Yeah, it's been around for as long as I can remember. I'm I'm well, we won't say how old I am, sir.
Speaker 2: It's been around since eighteen sixty nine. I don't think. I don't think you were around back then.
Speaker 4: That's amazing then, but my grandparents were. And I remember going in there in the seventies as a child, and it actually started out as a pharmacy with a soda fountain.
Speaker 1: Can I can I ask a question?
Speaker 2: I don't know why, I why I think I know this, But wasn't that the case with a lot of soda fountains? Like it's it's a weird thing to say because nobody uses that term anymore.
Speaker 1: But wasn't that like back in the day.
Speaker 2: What weren't they in like like we're in like pharmacies or like like little like if it wasn't a pharmacy, it'd be like a general store that also had a soda fountain?
Speaker 1: Is that the history of.
Speaker 5: Them prescribing you a little dose?
Speaker 1: Isn't that part of it that I don't know?
Speaker 5: Wasn't carbonated water special and and used it medicinal way.
Speaker 2: Oh, like drink a flat soda when you're sick. That's a very Jewish mother.
Speaker 1: Thing, the flat ginger ell. Yeah, when you were a little.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's how they started out, is it was a pharmacy and then they added the soda fountain. I don't know if it was because of the carbade of water or whatever, but yeah, and that's how it started out. And I'm not an egg salad person, but they say they have the best egg salad sandwich in the area.
Speaker 2: Well, I am an egg salad person, and I would like to take that test. I got three beverages to wash.
Speaker 1: It down with.
Speaker 5: Spot get the bag right in there.
Speaker 1: Hey, what is the what is it?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: You said, like your grandparents took you there, Like that's amazing. It's been around since eighteen sixty nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember well before the days of Walmart stuff, we had Woolworth and my grandmother worked there and that was directly across the street from Gulrys. And my mother and I was when I was a child, would go visit her and we'd go over there and have a soda or something for lunch, and it was awesome.
Speaker 1: Hey, do you do you like their egg creams.
Speaker 4: I'm not a big egg cream person, but it was very good. Now they did have used to have the best root beer float you could ever taste.
Speaker 2: Oh, man, you have no I would what I would do for a root beer float right now.
Speaker 1: I can't even tell you the last time I had a root beer float.
Speaker 2: I also, I also I like a root beer float with either vanilla or chocolate ice cream.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Hey, how are the malts?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: I haven't been there. I moved away in the nineties and then come back and mid two thousand, so I really didn't have it been there as an adult. But what I can remember as a child, everything that I ever had there was good.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, if I find out your step son isn't making good malts, I'm gonna rip him an ass.
Speaker 4: He's a chef, Well, he's gonna be in the He's gonna be in the back doing the sandwiches, the ham salad, the chicken salad, the egg salad. He's going to be the one preparing all the salads for the sandwiches.
Speaker 2: By the way, it's also been a long month of Sunday since I've had a ham salad.
Speaker 1: But that's good, That is good.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, dude, Yeah, they're gonna have it all their menu. Their menu is actually online already, is it?
Speaker 2: Is it like like I get like there's a bunch of sandwiches and stuff for they Are there any entrees?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 4: Not as of now. I don't know if they're going to be adding because they do have some plans to expand into some things that they haven't announced yet.
Speaker 2: I got youa yeah, zip it, zip it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, very good, very good, Thank you, sir. Hey, just kind of curiosity. When you moved away in the nineties, did you move to Los Angeles?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 4: Actually I went to Charlotte o Calin.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, very good, Thank you, sir. Thank you.
Speaker 5: If I admit to something, will you promise not to strike me?
Speaker 1: Let me sit on my hands.
Speaker 2: Wait are you gonna go like if you're gonna tell me it's milkshake over malt like you can have your own opinion?
Speaker 5: No, I love them all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Walter, great, Walter great.
Speaker 5: Oh I've never had ham salad?
Speaker 1: Are you serious?
Speaker 5: Sorry?
Speaker 1: How have you never had ham salad?
Speaker 5: And just to be sure, I looked at a photo of it I have definitely never had that before.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen a cat that's vomited? Very similar? It ain't the most appetizing looking thing. I've had ham on salad, but I have never had ham salad. Kristin, Oh, yes she has. Absolutely, You're right.
Speaker 5: It does not look appetizing.
Speaker 1: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: No. Honestly, if you didn't know better, you would think you heard Diane's cat behind the restaurant going.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: But like then the guy would walk it out and go, hey, I heard you talk to my stepdad.
Speaker 5: You can say the same thing about tuna salad and chicken salad salad.
Speaker 1: The salad looks great, but this salad looks great, so pink.
Speaker 2: Nobody has ever nobody's ever picked up the eggs salad and been like, oh, did Diane's cat throw up? But if I bring you a ham salad sandwich, you're like, ooh, I'm eating.
Speaker 5: Puke like it's Diane's cat on medicine. It is so good.
Speaker 2: Though, ham salad is good, I can't believe you've never had it.
Speaker 5: I'm willing to try it, and if it upsets my tummy, carbonated water.
Speaker 1: Where am I going? Line two?
Speaker 3: Hi, Elliott, the morning, Hey Elliott, who are you?
Speaker 2: I am?
Speaker 1: Well, thank you? What can I do for you?
Speaker 6: I have been going to Goldbrick since I.
Speaker 3: Was h h how so?
Speaker 2: But now you were your parents before that? Were your parents going when they were children?
Speaker 6: Yes, so we've all been from Fredericksburg and they've been going. They have the best root beer and the floats and they have the best egg salad sandwiches that you can imagine.
Speaker 1: Hey have you you've had ham salad? Right?
Speaker 7: Absolutely?
Speaker 6: I make it all the time every holiday.
Speaker 1: Oh you make ham salad.
Speaker 6: I make cam salad.
Speaker 2: Oh boy, someone went to culinary school.
Speaker 6: Right, it's easy to make. But it's very good as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no it is. I love it. The well, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: So you must be stoked that they're coming back on Friday.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, we are actually going to go over there and be at the grand opening.
Speaker 1: Oh dude, get there early. Wait, hold on one second.
Speaker 2: The first fifty guests in attendance get a free gul Rix merchant, some free Gris gul Ricks merchandise.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that's what the plan is. I'll send Diane some pictures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, please do, please do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we'd love it. It's a beautiful place.
Speaker 3: If you guys can.
Speaker 6: Ever get down to Fredericksburg, I suggest going and swinging in.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 5: He can.
Speaker 2: I ask you this as somebody like you said, who like grew up and spent your whole life in Fredericksburg. Are you tired of these goddamn Californians moving in.
Speaker 6: The hurry?
Speaker 3: We don't. Yeah, the furries are a little rougher.
Speaker 2: Ut All right, very good, very good. I appreciate it. Thank you, ma'am, thank you. Well now, I oh, you know what we didn't do. We didn't get that guy's son's name or a step son.
Speaker 1: The chef.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's okay. It still seems like it's worth a trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: In so many of the comments, I'm gonna sit right there and crush a molt. And the lead up to this three opening, a lot of people said before I guess they've published this menu right, that they had to bring back the ham salad.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna be very honest.
Speaker 2: If it's if it's egg salad, ham salad, chicken, the salad, chicken salad, like, if if it's all those, I'm not going ham sand first.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry that egg salad I would go egg or tuna.
Speaker 5: Well, then you should react to these Facebook messages.