Speaker 1: Go on college football.
Speaker 2: The NHL and NBA preseason moves are underway. From scores and reactions to interviews and hot takes, It's all at your fingertips.
Speaker 1: On the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App appreciate lock in with your favorite teams with play by play podcasts and local stations where you can react and join the conversation. Sports on iHeartRadio where fans live it.
Speaker 3: This is America's truck and Network with Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 4: Well blame bah Board.
Speaker 5: Thanks for tuning in as we wind up our week here on America's Trucking Network. Start off quickly with a little bit of a weather report updating you on Tropical Storm Jerry, expected to be near the Northern Leeward Islands later tonight. Tropical storm warning issued for Barbuda. The way this is looking again, it doesn't look like it's going to be coming near the United States.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: The path of this thing looked like it was going to head towards the you know, Caribbean, Cuba, Haiti, those areas there, Dominican Republic. As it started approaching that, it seems to be taking a northerly turn. It's going to go across some of the islands itself, but the way it's projected, it's going to take an actual easterly, almost like a right turn the way the pattern is going, and it's more and more apparent that that's going to happen. We may see a little bit of storm surge on the east coast, and those people in North Carolina, low lying areas, South Carolina and so on may see some swells there, but not much, which is good news considering we have not had knock on Wood a direct hit and during this hurricane season. Yesterday morning, when we were on the air, it was started the news started to break about a possible signing of a peace treaty between Hamas and Israel. I didn't want to talk about it right away because so many times there has been well, it appears as though this is going to happen, and then it kind of fades away and somebody backs out at the last minute. But apparently there has been a deal struck between Israel and Hamas, broken by Donald Trump, I might add, which is interesting because once again something that people said couldn't be done is being done. The details need to be worked out now. Yesterday morning, when we were on the air, they talked about that the hostages could possibly be released as early as Monday. That has now been pushed up to as possibly as early as Saturday.
Speaker 4: And forty eight remaining hostages.
Speaker 5: They believe are still alive, and there are some twenty that are possibly dead, and they're going to be returning those bodies as well. But the fact that they actually got to this point is absolutely astounding, given the fact that how entrenched Hamas is and a lot.
Speaker 4: Of the.
Speaker 5: Surrounding Arab countries signed off on this and said, we think this is the path forward, this is what we think Hamas ought to do. Now, I'm taking this with a grain of salt, because as we've seen in the past, every time there's been some sort of a peace tree, it's been when the well, the Palestinians or whoever has attacked Israel has gotten their butt kicked so severely that they.
Speaker 4: Say, all right, we want to have peace.
Speaker 5: We want to have peace, you know, we want to establish a piece of cord. And all that does is the only thing that does is give them an opportunity to retool, re arm themselves so that they can come back and strike again. Hopefully this will annihilate or eliminate Hamas and keep them in check, and hopefully the other Arab countries will say enough is enough, let's stop this crap.
Speaker 4: But according to.
Speaker 5: What's come out, Israel Palestinian militant group Hamas signed an agreement on Thursday to cease file fire and free Israeli hostages in exchange for Palestinian prisoners in the first phase of the US Donald Trump. The first phase of US Donald Trump's attempt to end the war in Gaza under fighting under the let me see fighting will Under the agreement, fighting will cease, Israel will partially withdraw from Gaza, and Hamas will free all remaining hostages. It captured the attack that precipitated the war back on October seventh, twenty twenty three. Now again looking at this and seeing how this has unfolded and the way Hamas, the Palestinians, etc. Have treated their neighbor. You know, in the past, Israel has been willing to give up. I mean there was a time back in what was at the early two thousands, when you had the West Bank, you had Gaza, and you had the Goal on Heights. Israel made an effort to give away ninety eight percent of the territory that the Palestinians wanted, and they turned the offer down. And every time there has been an opportunity for peace, the Palestinians have chosen war. They have chosen to continue attacks, continue to fire rockets into Israel, and especially there after October the seventh, once they invaded, killed over twelve hundred and thirteen hundred Israelis.
Speaker 4: Israel had had enough. I have heard the Israelis say.
Speaker 5: More often than not that they are willing to give up as much land as they can in exchange for peace. They are willing, and in this deal they're going to want the Palestinians are going to wind up with hundreds hundreds of prisoners return, people who've been captured during the war, people who are known terrorists, people who, if you had a trial, would probably.
Speaker 4: Get a death sentence.
Speaker 5: These people are terrorists, but they're going to release them because they value their citizens' lives more than the Palestinians do. So in order to get their hostages in Israel, Israel's hostages back, they will do anything they can. As a matter of fact, You've got the holiest city in the world, Jerusalem. Jerusalem is the is the birthplace of Judaism or the home of Judaism, the home of Catholicism, and has been one of the biggest homes for the Muslim world. Israel has been willing to split that city in half and give half of it to the Arabs in their own country in order to obtain peace, and every time the olive branches turned out there, it's been slapped away. Hopefully there is something in this deal that keeps Hamasid, keeps them under wraps, keeps them out of power, and forces the leadership into exile into other countries, and hopefully the other Arab countries will say enough is enough. We've had it with you people. We want peace in this area. So we'll see how this all turns out. In the matter of the government shutdown, it's amazing. We're now in the tenth day by the way of the government shutdown, and I would say for the average citizen, you probably don't even know that there is a government shutdown because some of the stuff that you do on a normal basis doesn't really rely on the federal government for any of this. Although that doesn't stop a lot of the stories that come out as to well, what's going to be affected and how's this going to be treated and what numbers are we going to have problems as far as payment's going out.
Speaker 4: Now, what I will say is that.
Speaker 5: There are a lot of federal workers that will have been furloughed that because there's not a funding mechanism that was put into place.
Speaker 1: Before the furlough or before.
Speaker 4: The shutdown, these people are not going to get paid.
Speaker 5: It outrages me that Congress is going to continue to get paid because they, quote unquote are considered essential workers. Which that's a story for another day, but the air traffic controllers are not considered well, they're considered essential.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: Supposedly you've got the essential workers that get paid the non essential workers that don't get paid. Air traffic controllers must be some sort of a hybrid because they're they're essential workers, but they're not getting paid during this period of time. And we're starting to see a lot of airlines, a lot of air traffic being tied up because people have been calling in sick. There's a high turn there's a high incidence of people calling in sick. Now, this bothers me from the standpoint that first of all, there should be funding mechanism in there, that the air traffic controlers should be considered paid essential workers and they should not have to show up to work without getting a paycheck. The other thing is is that even though they're not getting a paycheck, I just can't imagine that my job is responsible for these air traffic safety in a particular airport. And I'm as a little protest. And we all know that this is one of those things where my wife always tells me that I'm in the process of a thought and I interrupt myself. But this is a situation where the people that are furloughed, they are going to get when they come back. Not only are they going to get paid, but they're going to get their back pay during the period that they were off. At this point in time, can collect unemployment insurance, and I would think that these air traffic controllers, if they're not getting paid, should be able to receive some compensation from unemployment.
Speaker 4: I'll finish my thought on this coming up.
Speaker 5: I'm Kevin Gordon America's Struck A Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: I need this the.
Speaker 3: Breathing Reward on America's drug A Network on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 6: NASCAR President Steve O'Donnell was a special guest on Dirty Moe Media podcast with dyl Earnhardt Jr. To announce it some tracks coming up in twenty twenty six cars will have the seven hundred and fifty horse power and an offseason test at North Wilkesboro is played.
Speaker 7: So why seven fifty one out eight hundred one out of thousand? So if you look at where we are today, where we can go without completely changing over the industry, and so whatever you do, you want to make sure that if you're going to change horsepower within the car, you got to match it up with the arrow. You got to match it up, and you're breaking all these different things come into play.
Speaker 1: We hear the fans.
Speaker 6: Also, o'donna will asked about the current charter lawsuit against NASCAR by twenty three eleven Racing and Front Row Motorsports.
Speaker 7: All I can say is when you get sued for something and you want a settlement with things that have nothing to do with what you sued for, it's hard to make sense of that. So that's the struggle right now. And I can tell you that listen, willing able, nobody wants to go to court from the NASCAR side, we want to concentrate on racing, and that's all I can say.
Speaker 6: Looking ahead to the racing weekend, Las Vegas has the NASCAR Spotlight Playoffs continue in the Infinity Series. Round of eight is focused Health two fifty Saturday night at seven thirty pm. Then the Cup Series Playoffs Round of eight gets underway with the running of the South Point four hundred at five thirty pm Eastern Time on Sunday. The NHRI countdown to the Championship Playoffs can continue this weekend with the Texas Fall Nationals.
Speaker 3: This is the Raething report on America's Drugging Network on seven hundred WLW SAG Dennison.
Speaker 8: AT and a message from dav to all returning veterans. Thank you, thank you for doing your duty. Thank you for doing our bidding. Thank you for laying it all on the line. Thank you for stepping up and not backing down. Thank you for putting your future on hold to put our enemies on notice. Thank you for putting your buddies' lives ahead of your own. Thank you for putting yourself in harm's way. Thank you for defending our freedom, for displaying your honor, for being a hero, even though you don't want to be called one. For all this and more, DAV thanks you and we're here to help you. Expert DAV Advisors will make sure you get the health, disability and financial benefits you are promised and earned. If you're a veteran, visit DAV dot org for free health and again, thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm Sheanolahampton.
Speaker 9: Every day millions of people faith hunger today. I will share with you some of their experiences. I'm stuck between paying for medications or paying for food. John for Maine. After paying my bills, I can buy groceries. It's sad to say food comes last. Alice from Oregon. I thought pantries were for less fortunate people, but anybody could be less fortunate in a day or even a second. Claire from Virginia. The Feeding America network of food banks helps provide over six billion meals to people in need each year. No one should have to worry where their next meal will come from.
Speaker 1: Together we can end hunger.
Speaker 9: Learn more at Feeding America dot org.
Speaker 2: You're one stop for advertising called eight four four eight four four iHeart.
Speaker 5: I'm Kevin Bran and Americastruck a network seven hundred WLW I was talking about out the government shutdown and how that's going to affect different workers and so on, and I kept interrupting myself with a different thought. I'd start a sentence and then interrupt myself and go off on a tangent. But the bottom line is is that one of the areas that is extremely important is air traffic controllers. The fact that they are considered essential workers and have to show up for work, but they're not going to get paid. While we've got Congress that never does anything, but they're considered an essential worker and they do get paid. That I don't understand when during the government shutdown, Congress.
Speaker 4: Shouldn't get paid either.
Speaker 5: Maybe that would put them back to work a lot sooner, and maybe they'd be a little bit more interested in compromise, in coming up with some sort of an agreement to actually pass a budget and to balance the budget at some point in time.
Speaker 4: But that's the story for another day.
Speaker 5: But I can't imagine because we're hearing there's situations where air traffic controllers are calling in sick. It's disrupting a lot of the flights around the country. It's backing things up, delays, cancelations, and so on.
Speaker 4: I understand not wanting.
Speaker 5: You know, if you're not getting paid, then you know how happy you're going to be to go to work. But I can't imagine a situation where my job is to be an air traffic controller where I have hundreds of people, thousands of people per day whose lives depend on me watching the radar screen and getting them off the ground safely and return to the ground safely, and the fact that somebody would call in sick as kind of a protest because I'm not getting paid. So if I'm not getting paid, I don't care about my job. I don't know that I could rest easy or feel comfortable knowing that the possibility of my not being there could actually lead to an air crash or a plane crashing, something along those lines, two planes colliding or whatever. I just don't know how they do that and how they rationalize in their head they are going to get their pay when they come back. They're not losing anything. The way unemployment is set up, it's set up that if you're not getting a paycheck, if you're not getting cash that week, you can file for unemployment. So even though these guys are actually these people air traffic controllers are on the job, they're not getting paid, so they would qualify for unemployment insurance. It's not matching their salary, but it's something. It's not like they're going to not get anything. So that whole thing's going on. But when we see these stories about well, what's going to be affected? What's not going to be affected? And I love this headline because when I read it, you know, when you pull up a story, and especially on your phone, sometimes it'll only have a certain number of words and then there'll be that dot dot dot dot dot at the end that means there's something more to it. Now, could you have stretched this headline out far enough to make it seem like it's something that it's not?
Speaker 4: Here is the headline government shut down.
Speaker 5: Could delay Yearlysocial securitypayment dot dot dot. If you'd see that on your phone, what's what would to be missing is announcement. The whole headline is government shutdown could delay yearly Social Security payment announcement. So that's a very long headline, but it puts in your head that the shutdown could delay Social Security checks. And all this is saying is that one they determine, you know, every year that the Social Security. You know, when somebody's on Social Security. Every year they have what's a COLA. It's a cost of living index, cost of living allowance. So they calculate that during the year and usually in the third quarter by mid October thereabouts, whatever the inflation rate is at that point in time, that's what the number is in terms of what the cost the increase would be. And they make this out that this is a big deal, that the fact that this is being delayed is going to result going to halt this and going to delay when that goes into effect. All right, again, situation where the curtain gets pulled back on our federal government gets pulled back on how things are done. I mean, are they sitting there at their desk with just a pencil and an adding machine and then that's what they're doing, and then that's got to go over to this person, and then they've got to check the math, and then that's got to go to a supervisor and they have to check the math. Then it's got to go to somebody else before it's actually implemented.
Speaker 4: They don't have any computers that would do this.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you've seen when you make a credit card payment, I always find it interesting that when you make a credit card payment, you do that online and the money almost immediately comes out of your account, but the balance of when you've paid that doesn't get applied to your account until like the next day, comes out of my account real quick, but they don't credit it to my account with the utility or the subscription service, you know, the cable service or something like that. And what's interesting too is that on a credit card payment with the same bank, make the payment, and you can see the money coming out of your account, but not applied to the credit card which is sitting right next to it. That generally takes about eight hours or so to show up. But again, in the era of computers, I mean, we've had computers around since probably the early seventies, and now it seems like the government can't just flip a switch adjust this and it goes into the system. Is there some sort of major programming thing that has to be done anyway?
Speaker 4: Talking about the particular story.
Speaker 5: As the government shut down reaches day ten today, the agency that produces economic data may have to delay the release of its annual cost Living adjustment, or known as COLA, planned for the next Social Security payments generally. Solid Security Administration SSA released its COLA on the upcoming for the upcoming years sometime in mid October after it calculates the Consumer Price Index for urban wage earners measure of inflation for July au TI in September. Last year's announcement by SSA was on October the tenth for the twenty twenty five payments. However, Department of Labor said a shutdown contingency plan released indicates that this will be suspending all their operations. Any of the information, the numbers that they're going to be released are all on hold until they come back open. There is a delay in the CPI release during October of each year, might have an impact on the cost of living adjustments announced by the Social Security Administration. Labor Department also noted in their plan is this some sort of a scare tactic where they want to kind of get the idea that built well, you know, you're not going to get that pay raise, You're not going to get this, You're not going to get that as far as the Social Security check is concerned, and kind of laying the lines are not allowed, you know, not putting to rest that you know, you have to look into the story that no, that SOCI security checks will go out, but the adjustment may not be done. But again, if they do this in October, if the government is shown, I mean the longest government shutdown was like thirty days. So if it began on October, the first October thirty first, they got plenty of time for September, for November December to get this done for the checks to go out in January. I see no reason that this couldn't be done and done quickly.
Speaker 4: Again. But again, you know we're talking about the federal government, and we know how slowly they work.
Speaker 5: But I think it's just a scare tactic that they put out there and indicate that well, because of the government shutdown, these these adjustments may be delayed. Coming up normally on Thursday, we usually have during the Thursday, during the day they would have the initial jobless claims. We have those, but it's not from the federal government and it's probably a little bit more accurate than that we were talking about that coming up. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's truck in Network seven hundred WLW News Traffic and Weather News Radio seven hundred W l W Cincinnati.
Speaker 10: Public safety and police reforms marked the sharpest exchange of the night at Cincinnati's mayoral debate with your twelve thirty report, I'm Travis Laird breaking now mayor. Aftab Piaval and Challenger Corey Bowman went back and forth over the city's collaborative Agreement, the Police reporm Plan created after the two thousand and one unrest.
Speaker 11: When someone moves here four years ago has no idea about the history of this city and starts accusing the collaborative Agreement of making us less safe. I could not disagree more strongly.
Speaker 10: Pear of All said he's committed to upholding the agreement. Bowman argued the city needs to back its police more strongly. The election for Cincinnati mayor is November fourth, thirty minutes ago. I said it was November fifth. That was a mistake. Thank you for the correction, Lee maw And now let's take a look at the latest traffic and weather together.
Speaker 12: Going to be rather frosty for our morning. We've got a frost advisory out now north of Cincinnati. A tempts mid to upper thirties. Should be forty seven am downtown on our Friday. It's sunny and a high of seventy degrees at night clear not as cold a low of forty eight from your Severe Weather station, I'm nine First Warning Chief Meteorologist Steve Rawleig News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 10: Right now forty five degrees in Cincinnati. City of Cincinnati is warning drivers to expect major road closures this weekend around East Walnut Hills and downtown roads near Vice President JD. Vance's home will be closed starting Friday morning through Monday night. That includes parts of William Howard Taft Road, Collins Avenue, and several side streets. Sidewalks are also shut down. Residents and delivery trucks can still access the area, but only through three marked security checkpoints.
Speaker 1: The city hasn't said why Vance is back in town.
Speaker 10: They never do, though His visit coincides with the America's River Roots Festival celebrating the country's upcoming two hundred and fiftieth birthday, and the Queen Bee Half Marathon also closes streets on Saturday morning, including parts of Eggleston Avenue, Reading Road, Gilbert Avenue, and Madison Road. The race begins at seven thirty. Streets will reopen by early afternoon. Riverside Drive is part of the course, but race organizers say it will not be affected by the security closures near Vance's home. Metro will keep the bus service running throughout the event, but expect some delays. Our next update is with Lee Mawan at the top of the hour, breaking news anytime. I'm Travis Laird News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Some things in life are preventable. Ooh, gas station sushi. Yuh, that's preventable.
Speaker 13: I'm just gonna tell my boss what I really think of him.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, that's preventable.
Speaker 4: Hmmm, maybe a face tattoo would look good.
Speaker 1: Ah, that's preventable too.
Speaker 13: The Colorectal Cancer Alliance wants you to know a lot of things in life are previncable. Colon cancer is common and deadly, but that's also prevncable.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's a there.
Speaker 2: Let's get a selfie with it.
Speaker 1: Also previncable.
Speaker 13: The Alliance is doing its part to end colorectal cancer. Now, do yours get involved, And if you're forty five or older, talk to your doctor about the colon cancer screening options available to you.
Speaker 1: Betch I can eat fifty hot dogs in an hour. Actually, Runner I'm representing myself.
Speaker 13: Go to Colorectal cancer dot org to learn more. That's Colorectal cancer dot org. And together we can save.
Speaker 1: Lives by running.
Speaker 3: No no no, no, no no.
Speaker 8: A message from DAV to all returning veterans. Thank you. Thank you for doing your duty. Thank you for doing our bidding. Thank you for laying it all on the line. Thank you for stepping up and not backing down. Thank you for putting your future on hold to put our enemies on notice. Thank you for putting your buddies' lives ahead of your own. Thank you for putting yourself in harms way. Thank you for defending our freedom, for displaying your honor, for being a hero, even though you don't want to be called one. For all this and more, DAV thanks you, and we're here to help you. Expert DAV Advisors will make sure you get the health, disability and financial benefits you are promised and earned. If you're a veteran. Visit DAV dot org for free help, and again, thank you.
Speaker 2: My name is John David Carpton, Doctor Kim Lee Stegmeier correct.
Speaker 1: I'm a medical oncologist and I focus on cancer prevention. People are always asking me why why do I do this work? Two words come to mind for me. One is responsibility, the other's purpose.
Speaker 3: There was a child that you know, I took care of, an adored and she said to me, doctor Kim, you know, will you remember me forever?
Speaker 1: Sorry, it's been hard year.
Speaker 3: Every day I think of the faces of patients when I say their smiles when I tell them that new treatments are helping their lives.
Speaker 8: It's just so inspiring to do research that impacts human lives. Stand Up to Cancer has been a critical partner in advancing research for cancer.
Speaker 1: Cancer research say live so please help us fight in this battle against cancer.
Speaker 3: Be a part of the team that ends cancer at Stand Up to Cancer Dot org.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's Karen and Georgia and we just celebrated our five hundredth episode of My Favorite Murder.
Speaker 2: That's five hundred podcasts filled with true crime, comedy and some light girl math.
Speaker 1: We're about to podcast for you. Watch this.
Speaker 11: We have to think of something to say after welcome every week, and we're doing.
Speaker 4: It every week for ten years. We'll ten years ten.
Speaker 1: That's what five hundred episodes sounds like. New episodes every Thursday.
Speaker 11: Listen to my favorite murder on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 14: Goody, here's your trucking forecast the Try State and the rest of the country. In the Try State, over night, clear skies the load dropping down to forty sunny skies, Friday high of seventy one. Saturday mostly sunny high of seventy three, sunshine Sunday highs in the load to mid seventies. Nationally, Moisture from Tropical Storm for Sola will bring heavy rain and a risk of flash flooding across the Desert Southwest and four Corners region. A coastal storm expected to bring flooding, high surf, dangerous rip currence, gusty winds in heavy rain up the Southeast and an Atlantic coasts over the next few days.
Speaker 5: Seven hundred wlw im Kevin Gordon is as America's struck In network on Thursday and then we report you know on our show Friday Mornings like we are today. The fact that initial job of claims are always reported on Thursday. This week again with the government shutdown, they said that the initial job of claims for the second week in a row is going to be delayed or not be released at all because because the Bureau of Labor Statistics is not in, they're not working, they're not doing any of their reporting, which means that grow domestic product, the consumer price index, producer price index, all these things that come in that would actually even affect the Federal Reserve because they're meeting that I think it's the twenty eighth and twenty ninth of this month, to determine where they're going as far as interest rates and their monetary policy and all that. But those evolve in delayed, and for some reason, I figured, well, all right, if they're not releasing it, there's probably not any thing. So I didn't do any you know, at first, I didn't even look at it because the chart that says, okay, here's what's going to be released this week, every one of the statistics said next to it delayed because of the shutdown. But I just threw in initial jobless claims just for the heck of it to see where it would pop up. Amazingly, and as I mentioned, I think it was Tuesday morning on the program that there are other agencies out there, there are job recruitment sites, there are companies that do outplacement. There is the ADP that the processing payroll processing because they have a number of clients that they process their payroll for. There's another company. There's several different companies that actually do payroll service. The payroll service is not usually done in house by the company themselves. It is farmed out because again all the rules and regulations. As a side note, when there is a change as far as how taxes are withheld or whether there's state, city, county taxes withheld, and there's certain compliance that has to be done as far as reporting FAIKA and all this sort of stuff. If those aren't implemented properly at the company level, there are huge finds that come out as a result of that. So a lot of companies farm that information out to other companies like ADP and some of these other companies. Well, Bengals Stadium used to be Paul Brown Stadium is now called pay Corps. Pay Core is a is a big company that actually does payroll processing and HR services. So they have data in terms of how many checks they're issuing this week versus how many jobs, how many they process previous week, last year, all that data they have that data. ADP does too. That's why on Tuesday, when we were talking that the normal jobs, the jobs report, how many jobs were created for a particular month, that number was reported by ADP and some other services Challenger, Gray and Christmas, which is a recruiting firm, and they actually recruit and they're an out they're recruiting firm and an outplacement firm. So if somebody loses their job in a well, they lose their job, they go to them and then they take care of outplacing that person and maybe finding them another job. So they see throughout the country how many jobs are being lost, how many people are being hired, and that so they reported that information, which is general. You know, their boots on the ground, they're right there where the rubber meets the road and they would have the information. Well, same thing with the jobless claims. On Thursday, Wall Street firms see hardly any increase in jobless claims during the government shutdown. The most and now they call this the most accurate tool to take to track job losses in the economy. Has been postponed for a second week in a row, but a little legwork finds that layoffs are still surprisingly low, even though these economically uncertain times. There has been two Wall Street firms, Goldman Sachs and Oxford Economics, that drew up their estimates after looking at publicly released data.
Speaker 4: Now, again, as I said before, what we're.
Speaker 5: Seeing unusually during Trump's second term is that stuff comes up and then people dig into it, pull the curtain back and say, why was this being done this way instead of this way? How is this available? Why is the government providing this information? If there's other agencies that can provide that, why duplicate the efforts. If you've got bureaucrats in Washington that are basically gathering the data from these different organizations, why can't these other companies do that as a service and outplace that. What Again, this is a situation when they're talking about the unemployment all the states individually compute what the unemployment because obviously the claims that the initial jobless claims that are filed that week, the state would have that information because they're having to process those claims and pay the checks out. So it's a simple situation. What making fifty phone calls or whatever to get to the different states to see, all right, how many people filed for unemployment? This week, how many people applied for this. You know, you can probably do that in the day. And what these Wall Street firms were doing, we're doing that. I don't know that that put a big workload on them. But if we've got the bureaucrats in Washington doing that and this is available through the individual states, maybe the individual states could get on a regular basis of reporting to a particular company. I don't care whether it's a bank, whether it's the Federal Reserve. I mean, after all, the Federal Reserve has twenty three thousand employees. I think one of those could be assigned to maybe collecting this data from all the fifty states and then reporting that instead of having this bureaucracy in Washington. But it's interesting Goldman Sachs and Oxford Economics drew from their estimates. Nearly all states publicly report the data, but not until after the US Labor Department releases the official report on Thursdays. So these other companies get a hold of this data on their own and compute it after the release is done. The states don't release their numbers after the federal after the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that data. If that number is available on Wednesday or Tuesday, release the data to somebody so that they can have it.
Speaker 4: For thirty I don't you know, it's like once.
Speaker 5: They get into doing things a certain way, it's like trying to, I don't know, turn a aircraft carrier in the middle of the ocean as opposed to what should be being able to turn a speedboat anyway.
Speaker 4: Again, nearly all.
Speaker 5: States publicly report the data, but not until after the US Labor Department releases the official report on Thursday. So, in other words, all these states reports of the Labor Department. Oxford added that actual or unadjusted job as claims fell slightly in the seven days end in September twenty seventh, according to a.
Speaker 4: Rent around one hundred and eighty thousand.
Speaker 5: It's extremely low number which has only been matched by a smattering of time since nineteen sixties. Now there's another group that looked at this data and said that the unemployment had gone up to around the previous week had been two hundred and eighteen up to two hundred and twenty four thousand, and again this is important. You're probably asking Kevin Way, why are you dwelling on this and all this sort of thing, because This is the data that they use to determine whether or not how the economy is doing. If the economy is doing poorly, then you're not going to be going out. You're not going to be delivering as much good as if people are out of work. People are unemployed, they're not going to be buying stuff, which means that the companies aren't going to be ordering stuff, which means that you're not going to be delivering stuff. And the fact that we don't want to operate in a vacuum.
Speaker 4: I want to make sure that.
Speaker 5: Everybody is aware how strong this economy is, because you're not going to get it from the spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media. We here on America's struck A network have been more accurate than some of these so called economic experts have been. All along again, they kept talking about unemployment was going to go through the ceiling. They talked about that there was going to be a recession. At the beginning of the year, they started talking about that there was going to be rampant inflation.
Speaker 4: We haven't seen rampant inflation.
Speaker 5: We have the story yesterday the chicken prices are coming down eighteen percent and if you look at some of the stuff, and it depends on when they do their survey. In terms of inflation, we were just to my wife and I were just talking the other day that we were looking at certain prices at the grocery store and said, well, wait a minute, this number last week was at this number, and this week it's up here, and then the following week it was back down to where it was. So if you're doing your gauge on inflation based on that middle week where the prices are up, you're going to get a bad number. And if you don't know what's causing these underlying things, like with meat prices, the fact that our cattle herds are down around the rate that they were back in the fifties and sixties, you're going to think inflation is going crazy because of some other factor other than the fact that it's a matter of we don't have enough supply. We have very little supply and the demand is still high. So again, I talk about these economic data so that your mind's at ease, so that you know that the economy is not falling apart the way people would like you to think. Coming up, we'll talk a little bit more about this. I'm Kevin Gordon. America struck a Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Run a business and not thinking about podcasting, Think again, More Americans listen to podcasts than add.
Speaker 3: Support live from the seven hundred WLW studios driven by Mike Cashtrecy Jeep in Fair Facts now recognized as the largest volume JEP dealer in Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. Mike CASHTRECYJB is the number one jeep dealer in the tri State. That's Mike CASHTRECJB in Fairfacts.
Speaker 5: This is america'struck a Network, seven hundred WLW. I'm Kevin Gordon. And she got this discussion on the jobos claims. And again I find it amazing that, you know, everybody waits for the numbers from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, but when those aren't available, they somehow are able to get them on their own. And so I question what or not we actually need the Bureau of Labor Statistics putting this information together in the first place. If it's readily available and other people can tap into it, then let's do that. Having a massive bureaucracy in Washington doesn't do us any good.
Speaker 4: As as we've seen in the past. They go into the.
Speaker 5: Story and they talk about people file for job as claims when they lose a job. Really, I didn't know that number of people already collecting unemployment checks meanwhile, likely hovered around the four year high of one million or one point nine to three million, which is where it has been for the last year or so. The fact that unemployment is still in the range of one hundred and eighty thousand up to two hundred and fifty thousand on a weekly basis indicates that the market is strong, that there's not been rampant unemployment, that there's not been massive layoffs, and that the doom and gloom that has been predicted as a result of tariffs and the economic policy the Trump administration, that this is going to lead to massive layoffs. But what's interesting is that they keep saying the same thing week after week after week. The fact that businesses are in a no hire, no fire position, and I keep stressing the fact that they're probably in that position because they are seeing that they have the number of employees that they need in order to keep their operations open. They may have, in some cases a little bit more employees than they need. But after having gone through the pandemic and had to fire everybody or terminate everybody because their businesses were shut down, they saw what it was like to rehire those people and bring them back to the point where their business has suffered. The first few months and even up to a year after the pandemic and businesses were back to normal or some semblance of order. So they saw all the lost business opportunities during that period of time, and they're thinking in terms of when things turn around. And it appears that every month it seems like we're getting closer and closer to things exploding in the US economy. For the good, they're holding onto their employees. They're not hiring and they're not firing. And I tie this all to interest rates. People in the consumer level, if we're paying higher interest rates on our credit cards, on our cars, the monthly payments on our cars, monthly payments on your trucks, Companies paying interest on their fleet, any of the new trucks that they purchase. Also in terms of any expansion, all that's being held back because of high interest rates, if those interest rates were down, And I can't stress this enough, the fact that the borrowing rate established by the Fed at four percent, compared to the rest of the industrial world around two percent. We are putting ourselves at a disadvantage. These other countries are not doing great, but their problems over there are different than ours. Ours, in my opinion, is the higher interest rates you free that capital up. Because every time, let me just we're not going to get to the story here, but as far as the oil and gas prices, every time they talk about oil and gas prices, the one news service agency, Reuters, talks about that. Okay, With the Federal Reserve dealing with interest rates, they always say, there's always.
Speaker 4: The sentence in there.
Speaker 5: Lower interest rates means there's more money available for consumers. Consumers spend more and they buy more gas because they're consuming more energy. Again, they recognize that, they put that in their story day after day after day, and yet the knuckleheads at the Federal Reserve can't get that into their thick skulls, that lowering interest rates actually spurs the economy. Do they think that by sitting on the sidelines and doing nothing that something is going to happen. If you sit on the side and don't do anything, nothing is going to happen. So anyway, unemployment numbers are all you know. They talked about that it may have gone up slightly from two hundred and eighteen thousand to two hundred and twenty four thousand. There's a report that it could possibly the jobs claims be below two hundred thousand for the week, and we'll see we're not In other words, what the economists and what people have been predicting from the beginning of the year, there'd be high unemployment, high inflation, and a recession, none of which are even on the radar screen at this point. And so the fact that they continue to talk about this and keep pushing it forward, I think is remarkably stupid in my opinion.
Speaker 4: This was interesting. I saw this the other day.
Speaker 5: States we saw that situation week or a couple of weeks ago where Sean Duffy indicated that the Department of Transportation was going to take a look at these non domiciled driver's licenses that have been issued in California and Washington, and I think in New York also during the time, there was a story that came out that talked about that there were actually people that had been pulled over and they were making what hit the news that the driver's license said no name given on it. Now, a lot of that has been looked at and determined that in some cultures, and honestly, I don't know many cultures where they just use one name. So if they put that name on the driver's license by itself, then the other slot, whether it's the given name or the surname or whatever, that name is going to show as no name given rather than as opposed to just leaving it blank. But a lot of these driver's license had been issued. Also, Sean Duffy at when we go back to May, remember well, first of all, in August we had that tragic accident down in Florida where that illegal alien from India who who couldn't pass the English Language proficiency exam, made that illegal u turn and killed three people in Florida. And that shined a light on how many of these people have not had English language proficiency, and they started clamping down on that again that Sean Duffy made the announcement back in May that they were going to look at this, that the implementation had to be done by June twenty fifth. This guy had been pulled over in July in New Mexico and wasn't pulled out of service and then in August killed that family down in Florida. Since then, state's commercial vehicle dragnets snag ELP and CDL violations. Three states recently ramped up enforcement of federal English Language proficiency rules and roadside x of immigration status in response to renewed US Department of Transportation attention to these issues. In a joint drag net operation, the Colorado State Patrol and Wyoming Highway Patrol on September thirtieth place sixteen drivers and twenty four vehicles out of service for a variety of violations of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration rules. In addition, four arrests were made. Wyoming troopers arrested two commercial drivers vehicle drivers for repeated offensive driving without a CDL and one for repeated violations of ELP rules. Colorado troopers arrested one commercial driver who was on subject.
Speaker 4: Of a statewide warrant.
Speaker 5: In addition, so you've got these people that have been issued a citation for violation of ELP or not having a valid driver's license, and that is reported, That is public information and is reported back to the company.
Speaker 4: How in the hell.
Speaker 5: Are these companies allow allowing these people to go out and drive. Are these independent truckers that have their truck. If somebody has been issued a violation for CDL and their truck has been pulled out of service, that truck should be pulled out of service parked somewhere so that they don't have access to it. And why this is continuing to go on, and if this is done by a company that has hired these people, that needs to be done. We'll probably have to pick up a little bit about this next week when we talk because there's been some other things that have happened in terms of things that have happened as far as non domiciled workers and how that's being treated and where these things are popping up in different states around the country. But in the meantime, folks, that does it for us this week. By the way, if you've missed any part of our program, hit us up on iHeart app and that's brought to you buy our friends at Rush Truck Centers. In the meantime, stay tuned for Edi Rato at top the hour. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Truck and Network seven hundred WLW