Speaker 1: Six thirty seven, seven hundred wl W it's RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. The UC Bearcats have won sixth straight, one of two unbeatens in the Big Twelve. They're home to Baylor for home coming on Saturday night. My next guest race down the sideline Saturday night for a school record one hundred yard pick six. From more on that, Let's go straight to the source and welcome in. Matthew McDoom Matthew Lance McAllister. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm Gray, I'm doing great. How are you?
Speaker 1: I am well?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Watching that? Uh that the pick six? By you? To describe the play, because it looked like you you were almost like in their huddle and knew exactly what was coming your way.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, man, I knew it was a one won for sure to the field, and I knew that they had the glad me. They didn't really go after me all game, so I just knew the play was coming after me.
Speaker 2: So I knew I had to make him play. And then when I caught it, man, you know, you just gotta be a playmaker. You just gotta go. And I had just I had a team.
Speaker 3: Of blocks, you know, it's just ready. Everybody was ready to block for me, you know. So it was just amazing.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing. What's it like having a convoy of your teammates. You're running down the sidelines, you're under the lights the opposing team stadium, and you've got a convoy of teammates waiting the way.
Speaker 3: Nah, that's a that's a crazy moment because at the time I was joining, I could hear them.
Speaker 2: Yelling like, come on, Dune, come on dude. So nah, it was great. That's a great moment.
Speaker 1: And you guys, the defense gets an interception finally and turns it into points.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, yes, sir.
Speaker 3: That's what we look for. You know, we get one, just get the turnover. But if you can't score, you know, that's what that's what we hope to do.
Speaker 1: With the win, you go to six and one, that means your Bowl eligible. But my guess is, your guys, sites are much higher than just going bowling, right.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely you got to change.
Speaker 1: I mean, you keep doing what you're doing, and man, a chance to play in Dallas for the Big twelve. I know that's down the road. That's an awfully nice goal to have. In front of you, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, Sara, definitely, But all right now we're just trying to go one and know.
Speaker 2: Each day days of so so we could get there. Definitely.
Speaker 1: I heard coach Saderfield today talk about the process and the importance of Tuesday practice. Tell me what you believe? What does process mean to you?
Speaker 2: Process is everything, that's how you just got.
Speaker 3: To live through life. Really everything out of their process. You know, you just got to be consistent in what you do. Everybody got to just be consistent and buy in, you know. And once that, once everybody's doing that, you know, who knows.
Speaker 2: What we could do? We could do anything.
Speaker 1: Really, I heard you on Coaches Rate show last week, and I've always thought this when I listened to the show and hear you guys as guests on the show. It's a it's a close group that enjoys being around each other. With a lot of new faces from different places in the world of portal, that can be tough getting a group to mesh together. Why has this group come together so well?
Speaker 3: You know, I really I really say it's us from our leaders really, you know, right when everybody got there, you know, everybody has like that little nervous you know moments, and then you know the leaders, everybody who's already there, you know, who already know how to process goes. They just welcomed everybody in, you know, showed them how the process goes. So Hi, everything go and just everybody just bought in. So you know that's just the bond is don't break. We're really with us.
Speaker 1: I was listening to through some of the different videos released by U see social media, some of the pregame speech from coach, then some of the postgame speech from coach. What's it like playing for Scott Sadderfield?
Speaker 3: It's amazing and it's like you want to you want to go through a door for him.
Speaker 2: You know, you would do anything for coach that, so you know, just having him, you know, motivate you. You know, having him on the side.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just it's great because you know he's going to give his best, so you just you want to give your best for him, you know, and the team.
Speaker 1: So definitely, your defensive coordinator, Tyson Vite plays more of an unconventional type of defense. What was the was it an adjustment for you? What was it like getting used to it?
Speaker 3: Definitely there was definitely an adjustment. But I say with the help of like Loud and Wilson coach Hicks, they definitely.
Speaker 2: You know, made it.
Speaker 3: You know less, it doesn't seem complicated, you know when you're in the meeting rooms with him, you know, they break everything down simple, so you understand how how the defense works and how everything's supposed to look.
Speaker 1: Let me get in with the help of jeris sure, sorry, no, no, Joe, my apology.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it allows you to to play free and you're you're not You're not having to think a lot about it. It just becomes second nature. You're just reacting on the football field.
Speaker 2: Definitely, for sure your.
Speaker 1: Offense is is elite with Brendan Sorosby leading the way. What what's it like watching your offense go to work?
Speaker 2: Ain't gonna lie.
Speaker 3: When I'm on the sideline, I turned into a fan, you know, after after we get after I talked to the defense, you know, we get all our checks done, all our communications that you know, and we're just.
Speaker 2: Waiting to go back on the field. You know, I turned into a fan as.
Speaker 3: I'm watching our offense because man, it just it looks amazing just right now.
Speaker 2: So I'm loving it, Matthew.
Speaker 1: Does it help you guys as a defense to go against that offense every day?
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, definitely since since we started playing.
Speaker 3: You know, since we was doing OTAs just rots on air, you could just tell that they had that juice, you know, so just going against everybody, it definitely gave us more of a confidence to go against other people.
Speaker 1: I was looking back at the preseason polls and I think coaches or media, somebody, you guys picked fourteenth in the Big twelve. Right now, you're one of two unbeatens in the Big twelve. Have you guys, do you guys play with a chip on your shoulder to prove the doubters wrong?
Speaker 2: Definitely? You know, we always played with a chip.
Speaker 3: You know, we knew that people didn't expect us to be where we're at right now, so we just want to We just want to keep going to prove everybody wrong.
Speaker 2: And prove ourselves right, to prove out. You know, we worked this hard.
Speaker 3: You know, we worked hard every day since everybody got here, since the spring and fall. So we just want to prove to ourselves to hey, we can go as far as we want to.
Speaker 1: Hey, congratulations on the success to this point. Best of luck the rest of the way, and I appreciate you making time tonight.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: There you go, Matthew McDoom. You see defensive back checking in on this Tuesday night, one hundred yard pick six to the house with a convoy of blockers down the way, and it was a cool scene under the lights as they moved to six and one, one of two unbeatens in the Big twelve homecoming Saturday, four o'clock against those Baylor Bears. I want to talk a little bit more about this UC team that comparing contrast from a year ago and maybe even two years ago. As we continue, It's r Nol Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chervale seven hundred WLW