Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey or Dodger talking. Hey, thank you Clayton for calling in.
Speaker 2: There we go, Thanks Dave. How are you.
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. I'm doing great. I assume that you have a shirt on, and yes, you do have your pants on.
Speaker 2: I do. I have fully closed at the moment. Thank you for having.
Speaker 1: Clayton. I'm sure this has got to be a special time for you. At this time last year you weren't able to participate in the postseason, but even just being down in the bullpen, how much does it mean to you to be available whenever the team needs you.
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, it's been fun to be down there with the guys. You know, the bullpen's almost like a different it's like a different group, you know, it's like a different club within a club, you know. So it's been Uh, it's been fun to be a part of it. And it's a different animal down there. Man. When that phone rings, you feel out, adrenaline start flowing, and uh, you just it's a very underappreciated job to be a bullpen pitcher, so learning that on the fly, just watching all these guys, and it's it's been fun to be a part of.
Speaker 1: Last night we saw you starting to get hot in case things did go into extra innings. What was it like when that phone rang and Josh Bard called out your name? Do you did you get that type of I guess for a lack of better analogy, like a fireman like having to go down the pole and get ready quickly.
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't a bay and called for me. We had Rokie. We had Rokie do it last night. He got it done. Oh.
Speaker 1: When I was in the tunnel, they were saying that you were moving around a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm moving around for three hours. I'm old. I gotta stay loose.
Speaker 1: I guess so, But I mean when you're when you're in that position, how do you how do you change your routine? Because you're such a routine oriented guy, how do you how do you keep the body ready?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know, I just try and do some of the stuff I do as a starter and just try to space it out throughout the game. And it seems to be working well. You know, I feel loose enough and just can't sit down for too long. You know, you just kinda move around enough and then if that phone phone call is hopefully the adrenaline just takes over and you're ready to go.
Speaker 1: Hey, Clayton, Emma Sheen and Jack Dryer down in the bullpen with you. They did let me know that you allowed them to stay with you for a week while the family was out of town during the month of September. What does it mean to you that, I know, guys that watched you pitch are now your teammates. But to be able to just talk baseball with them and allow them to hear you talk about the game.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't know about all that. They're just good guys, you know. And it's no fun to live in a hotel all year, and that's what those guys have been doing, so, you know, no family around, it would be fun for them to get down to the beach and hang out. And you know, we had fun. I tried to wake them up a little earlier, so you gotta have a little more time, you know, get down to the beach, hang out. We'll grab some breakfast. But you know, when you're twenty five, you just sleep till noon every day. So but it was it was good to happen around and I think they appreciate it. And it was fun for me too.
Speaker 1: They said, you would wait up for them because you would get home before before they got back from the stadium, so you were waiting up for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm just like the that was like the room dad, you know, make sure they get home okay, and you know, have the fire on for him and yeah, ready to go. Put them in bad it took him in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get you. Clayton Kershaw is joining us on Dodger Talk Game three tomorrow night at Dodgers Stadium. Incredible Clayton, that you guys were able to win two games in Philadelphia. You know what that environment was all about back in two thousand and nine for you guys to have this type of lead. Do you feel like you you guys are in a good position to close this out tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we feel great. I mean we got Yama on the mound and our in Dodger Stadium. You know, that's been a pretty good recipe before us this season. But uh, you know it's a short series, five game series, so you know, they they somehow win a game, it gets quick, it gets it gets close fast. So we gotta we gotta make sure not to let up at all tomorrow and try to close this thing out. In three.
Speaker 1: I know we've talked about this before. Is Yama Moto and Blake Snell maybe two of the most underappreciated guys out there, Clayton, because it seems like a lot of other pitchers get the attention, but they've been such a big part of the rotation for you Yama all year and Snell since he came back from.
Speaker 2: The I L Yeah, I mean Yama, Yama's going to be second in the cy Young, you know, and I think if it wasn't for Paul Skins. You know, he's he's a cy Young winner, so for for him to do what he did all season, and you know, I don't know about what other people think about appreciated or underappreciated or whatever, but on our team, you know, those two guys have been unbelievable for us. And you know, Blake, we've all known he's one of the best in the game. You know, obviously he has heard a lot this year year, but he is a two time cy Young Award winner. You know, he's he's pretty solid and man, he steps up in a big way yesterday in Philly, and he just seems to, you know, bring out the best when it's a big moment for him, so huge for both of those guys. Obviously, we got show, Hey, we got Glass, We got a lot of guys throwing the ball really well. So it's a it's a fun time to be on the Dodger staff right now.
Speaker 1: When you're in the bullpen. Roki Sasaki obviously new to that bullpen. What's his demeanor like? And I mean, it's been incredible to see his transformation from the last time we saw him to be this this killer in the ninth inning.
Speaker 2: He's been great man. You know, I think he's probably learning the bullten on the fly too, just like some of us. And he's handling it super well. You know, I think he would tell you that he's got some nerves with it, but uh, he's keeping it under control. He's handling it well. And I think the greatest thing he's just coming in and attacking hitters, coming right at guys and getting the head, throwing a hunt right by guys. And then it really sets up his split, which is, uh, you know, if he if he's able to throw that and get ahead of guys and be able to throw that split, it's going to be pretty much impossible because that thing is special, so obviously we need it. It's fun to see him out there, and you got to give him a lot of credit, you know, it's been a hard year for him and for him to just learn the bullpen like this on the fly and all of a sudden start closing games for us is super impressive.
Speaker 1: What do you think it is with the newer generation of pictures? Do you feel like confidence comes from the velocity or do you feel like their confidence is predetermines how they're going to pitch and be able to throw one hundred miles an hour. Do you feel like pictures today need to throw that hard to have confidence on the mound.
Speaker 2: Chicken or the egg Dave? You know, I don't know, you know, I think I mean, honestly, it's confidence first. You know, there's a lot of guys that throw a hundred out there that aren't confident to get whacked around out there, you know. So you know, it obviously takes a little bit of success at times, but sometimes it takes a mind shift, Sometimes it takes a role shift, like starter a bullpen. I don't know, but younger generation, older generation, it's all about how you mentally prepare and how confident you are and whether you throw ninety or one hundred, what's in between the years? Usually as a separator.
Speaker 1: Clayton kersh eyes our guest before I let you go, Clayton, everybody's still talking about that wheel play in the ninth inning. I mean, that's not something that you see a lot. You don't see teams bunt as much as they used to. Oh what was your vantage point in? I mean, are you what does that say about Mookie Betts?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Is a shortstop to be so forceful to insist on, you know, being ready for that type of play?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean the wheel play is typically with runners on first and second right, So I don't know if that's ever really been a thing. Is like a wheel play was just a runner on set and base because the runner can stop and then you're kind of screwed, you know. So I think with all that into consideration and knowing how important that run was pretty amazing and obviously a lot of things had to go right. But yeah, like you said, Mooki's kind of taken ownership of that infield. You know, he's been a goal glove shortstop. He might even win the Gold Glove this year, which is pretty amazing. When you think about it, and so for him to do that, get to get the infield in order months to execute it, him to get the tag down. Obviously, it was the play of the game, and you just you need that stuff in the postseason. You need guys to come up huge, and that was one of those moments right there.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for calling in. Looking forward to more of those type of moments moving through October, and can't wait to see you come out of the bullpen tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: All right, don't sign me to the mountain, Dave. My job is going to be slow, so don't sign me.
Speaker 1: All right, I will There is a clock now. You got to get to the infield dirt at a certain point, all right.
Speaker 2: Know, hopefully I get a couple of warm up pitches at least.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see you tomorrow. Thank you for calling in.
Speaker 2: Hey, anytime, Dave, We'll see you.
Speaker 1: Okay, see you tomorrow. There it goes Clayton Kershaw. Great guy, down to earth guy, maybe the most down to earth superstar you will ever meet.