Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a five seventy LA sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio while it's.
Speaker 2: The longest running afternoon sports show in the city. No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros papada Gus.
Speaker 2: Terrible person, he's the worst, and Matt money Smith. The pipes, the pipes, the pipe. Don't miss an episode. We're with you. Yeah, follow the petros In Money Show.
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: Everything becomes a little different as soon as it's spoken out loud, calling me you Petrosin Money, five seventy LA Sports live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. He is out today, He's on the call. He's got UNLV versus somebody I don't know who. Let me see you. What's he got. He's got UNLV versus. That's Penn State, Minnesota, Hawaii. Oh, that's right, he's got Chang who's guided Hawaii to new heights. Timmy Chang, the I believe Yes. He was the all time passing yards leader in college football history until the great Colt Brennan, who Saddle is no longer with US, broke his record and is now coaching up as alma mater eight and two Hawaii. I should say eight and two UNLV versus seven and three Hawaii. He's got a good one tonight, little seven thirty PM kick for you to check out, and then tomorrow he's got San Diego States. So Dave Dabishek is here.
Speaker 4: What a pleasure, what a time to join you. It's the optimal time. It is the Friday before Thanksgiving week, and you know what that means.
Speaker 3: A lot of Thanksgiving talk between the two of us. Well, so holiday Ah, I'm more than happy to jump in on that. But also more importantly, or more broadly speaking, we're in the sweet spot on the calendar anytime sporting calendar. I'm talking about in the game of life. The game of life. Well that's why I said thanks, Okay, I shouldn't interrupt you because I know you never know what turn you're gonna take or what straight away you're going to open it up and haul ass down. So I'm just gonna let you go.
Speaker 4: Did you if you're within the sound of our voices. Are you on your way out of work? Are you already out? Are you done? Guess what you made it? Then twenty twenty five, the worst of it is already over for you.
Speaker 2: From here on.
Speaker 4: Out, the rest of the calendar year, you're encouraged to booze at work, maybe leave work early, maybe get to work late. Because you stop off for a morning belt. You get to take a lot more days off. They just give them to you off for the holidays, or you can cash in on some of your vacation time some of the time when you're at work, or if you're young enough, still at school. A lot of the classes are not going to be normal. It's going to be party time, presents coming, presents, going. Oh, it's the best time of the year.
Speaker 3: There we go. See, I should have just kept my mouth shut. You put it so perfectly. You're absolutely right, Dave. You get a half day Wednesday, the rest of the week off. Football every single day Thursday now with the Black Friday Game, impactful games, rivalry games on Saturday. That's our UCLA usc game, and of course the duel and the Desert and the Egg Bowl and all of those other things happen, and that Saturday. In college football professional football playoff spots could be decided based on the outcome of games this coming Sunday. Now, the NBA is boring as all hell as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 4: Don't watch. That's not important to be checking that out right now.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm a football calendar. We really got some good things going.
Speaker 4: We definitely do. And it is a very consequential Week twelve upcoming here. We'll dig in on that. You're off with the Chargers play by play, so you can really lean into your roots. You can watch the Chicago Bears. There are many photos floating around of a young Matt money Smith wearing a Walter Payton jersey. There there are front of a Christmas tree on the south side.
Speaker 3: I had a Walter Payton jersey when I was a little kid, and it was the the old one that had the three quarter sleeves on it, you know, so it wasn't really like an official jersey. It was like the one you would buy at Sears Roebuck, you know, that was the knockoff. And then I believe I had a Jim McMahon jersey.
Speaker 4: I've seen you in the nine jersey as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, those were the two that I had when I was a little kid, and then I had the and I think the I think the Jim McMahon jersey might have come in the hutch play set if I ran the helmet with the helmet, yeah, that may be how I had the number nine.
Speaker 4: That's a fun game to play. Can you name every team's representative from against say nineteen eighty two and nineteen eighty four ish? What was who was the chosen figure? The thirty two, the eighty eight for Lynn Swan if you were a Steelers guy with the Jack Lambert obviously with Tony Thorpe set for the Cowboys. Speaking of the Cowboys, I don't want to jump over what I was.
Speaker 3: You know what, Let me do this real quick, just real, real quick, and then you can get right back to it. Your company, man, I want to mention you got a shill. Well, it's a big one because we're talking about the NFL, and the NFL chose the Petros and Honey Show all right for their grand prize, for their big grand prize drawing that we're going to pull today. Every single day this week, including today, we are going to give away and gave away one hundred dollars NFL Shop gift card. Now we've got four winners. We'll get one more today. We're going to do that in the four o'clock hour, and then in the five o'clock hour, we are going to pull that grand prize winner. That grand prize winner is going to get a two night's day at Resorts World, Las Vegas and a four pack to see Raiders Broncos at Allegiant Stadium on December seventh. So Resorts World, if you've ever been there, you know, victory lap starts in the lap of luxury, premium rooms, bold flavors, and knights that play to win. That's what Resorts World is football, and it's a reminder to watch Good Morning Football overtime weekdays at four pm. I know you watch every single day Fox eleven Plus with Kyle Brandt, Jamie Erdahl, and Manti Tale. Manti joined us a little bit earlier this week. That was a sensational conversation with Notre Dame in the college play.
Speaker 4: Let's not get sidetracked with that because I think that consumes the next nine hours, whether we're whether we're on that.
Speaker 3: To your point, I said, Tony Dorset would be the Cowboys rep And you said, speaking of the Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Well, I was going to say, not skipping over what is a deeply important for the teams that are trying to get into the best possible spot or just get into the January NFL tournament upcoming here. I mean Bucks and Rams is huge here. You know, both of those teams probably are going to get in. I don't know if the Bucks definitely do.
Speaker 3: If they drop this one, the Panthers really going to win the South? What other team could possibly win the NFC South than the Bucks? Like, not the Falcons. Well, people, it's the Panthers. But they blew that game against the Saints that really dealt them.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: That's that's why I look at the Bucks like, eh.
Speaker 4: Well, I say all the time, you know they people always talk about life is short, life is also long. That also applies to a pro football season. Certainly you feel like, oh, it's gone so fast, and sure it has, but also things happen that people don't fully notice. We signed off somewhere around late September on the Bucks being a contender for the Super Bowl. If you've been paying attention to them, they ain't great. The Rams are really coming to deepy. Oh yeah, that was a big conversation a couple few weeks ago.
Speaker 3: It's Matthew Stafford in the Rams.
Speaker 4: That was also the conversation on one around one Daniel Jones, who has the Chiefs this weekend important to Chargers fans of course, and Broncos fans within the sound of our voice too, because.
Speaker 3: Big win for the Bolts last night with the Texans taking out the Bills.
Speaker 4: Absolutely if the Colts. If you look at it, it's kind of eight nine teams trying to squeeze into those seven spots available in the AFC. And I'll tell you the Steelers better not lose to your bears. Are They're in some real jeopardy of missing out. You can go through a number of games, and perhaps we will over the course of this, but I was going to mention about America's alleged team. The Dallas Cowboys are part of a trio of games that you may hold up as the best Thanksgiving trio of games that we've seen in the last couple of decades.
Speaker 3: I mean this coming Thanksgi. We're not talking about Cowboys ego on Sunday.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about No, I'm cat coming the first.
Speaker 3: Day, we're jumping to the bird and you got a ten am, you got a one pm, and now we got the five pm for Thanksgiving Day. Yeah, you're talking about the trio.
Speaker 4: And you go, I mean, let whether the Chiefs win or lose this Sunday they play in Big d and if the Cowboys, and I kind of think they are going to beat the Eagles given the way the Eagles have been tracked, a messing, a little bit of messing with fire, and I feel like Dallas.
Speaker 3: They really kind of solidified itself with the returning to Kobe Dean, and it just feels like you can't run on them anymore.
Speaker 4: I hear you. But on the other side of that, on the other side of that, I don't want to get sidetracked too far away from Los Angeles right out of the gate here. But you do wonder looking at the NFL, was Jerry Jones right to not sign Micah Parsons.
Speaker 3: Well, look, it's a one game sample and it was against the Raiders, who are terrible. But Quinn Williams is dominant himself. Announced reminded everyone that you remember when Quinn Williams was the guy that everyone said was yeah, there's Aaron Jones with then chest right behind Aaron Jones, there's Chris Jones, and there's Aaron Donald. I'm sorry Aaron Donald. Right behind him is is Chris Jones, and this Quinn Williams and Quinn might be better than like That was an actual conversation.
Speaker 4: The effect for the first twenty years of this millennium were do not sign any New England Patriots because if you expect them to perform on the level that they did in Foxborough, it's fools gold. It doesn't transfer. Chargers learned that with JC Jackson, right, well, so many teams did horrible. The opposite is true with the Jets. If you got to like a guy, you liked them come out of school. But the Jets drafted him like a little get him because he's been he has the stake of the Jets on him. You can't hold that against him.
Speaker 3: Right, So you got Chiefs Cowboys the afternoon one could well, if Joe Burrow's healthy and he's going to be playing, that's the night one. Yeah, that's the night one is Dangles Baltimore.
Speaker 4: That's deeply important for the Chargers and Steelers and Texan in Broncos and everybody.
Speaker 3: You said you said eight or nine, it's eleven, like that's this year. The AFC is now I'm not not by my team. Right, So you've got four division winners right right now as it stands, Colts, Patriots, Steelers, and Broncos.
Speaker 4: Right, Colts lose, Let me just say this to you. Colts lose to the Chiefs, which obviously there their favorite to lose that game. Beware the Jacksonville Jaguars the pleasure of no, They're going to prove my point now. So there's your four winners right now, here's your wild card Chargers, right, Bill's, Jags, Texans, Ravens, Chiefs. That's eleven already, that's ten. We're now with ten teams and i haven't even gotten to the there's one more that I'm forgetting. Well, what's wild is is the inversion of what you think are the best teams. You have the Broncos and Patriots, who nobody thinks are the two actual best.
Speaker 3: Tis ten. It's ten teams fighting for seven spots. Three are going right now. The wildcard teams are the Chargers, Bills, and Jags, meaning the Texans, Chiefs, and Ravens are currently on the outside. Looking in well, and I suspect that a lot of those teams are, or at least one or two of those teams are going to overtake who's in front of them in the standings right now, I do think the Ravens are going to surpass the Steelers.
Speaker 4: That doesn't give another Steelers out. Yeah, the Steelers are, They'll be out, not in the playoffs. Look, if they lose to the Bears, this would be a big one. It might swing some things. But they still have after this one Buffalo at Detroit and two more with the Ravens.
Speaker 3: I mean they could, you know, not ideal.
Speaker 4: They're tracking towards nine to eight with the loss to the Bears, or maybe even eight to nine, and that might spell the end for Mike Tomlin, which would be something. In the meantime, speaking of those Steelers, I don't want to get ugly. I just was celebrating where we are on the calendar and all of that. But a couple of Sunday nights ago, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was absolutely wrecked by the Chargers.
Speaker 4: The Steelers did it was an embarrassment. Yeah I didn't. I didn't show up. I protected you on Claude Van damashek Yeah, zero for nine on third class half fool. You know that doesn't really understand the world. Rodgers scared as as any man in his forties or an old man is more aware of his mortality than a twenty three year old. So of course, display Peyton and Brady and anyone else of that age. When he sees a sizeable guy running towards him very fast, his move is to turtle or to get rid of the ball so he doesn't take a smack. So that's Aaron Rodgers. And now now he's a broken left wrist. How's he going to defend himself. How's he's gonna throw the ball away? So how he's gonna do it against the bear? So back to that Sunday night game, the Chargers dominated. I think if you are a Bolts fan, you probably a car really Smith, I loved.
Speaker 3: It, touchdown Chargers one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was said that all the time, over and over, and Daniel Jeremi was like, I told you about Justin Herbert. I told you he was going to be the best of them all and all that kind of crap. Whenever he claims after the fact. Anyway, but I'm sure you were having a wonderful time, as were the people who weren't waiving terrible towels in the stadium that night. I was glad I didn't go, you know, I I there would have been a price was quite substantial. Yeah, that would have been a terrible night. There was the Gills, John and Koschek wanted to go. I said, I got a hunch about this one. I don't think we should bother, and we didn't.
Speaker 3: That's that's a topic that I can continue to address over and over again. Just the great dist service you did to your son that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I should have made him a Chargers fan. He'd be much happier.
Speaker 3: Should have madehi a Dodger fan. He's allowed to do whatever a Laker fan, a Charger or Rams fan. You know why because he was born in Los Angeles, he was raised in Los Angeles. His pals at school are all showing up and talking about the Laker game from the night before and the Kings winning the Stanley Cup back to back years. That's what they're all talking about. They're talking about Justin Herbert.
Speaker 4: He's been around to celebrate a couple of Cups won by the Black and Gold.
Speaker 3: How many games did he see the Black and Gold play the year they won the Cup.
Speaker 4: At least a couple Okay, they make their swing through so cowo.
Speaker 3: You could have taken them to twenty Kings games. You could have season tickets to the Kings and the It could be enjoying, you know, like the.
Speaker 4: Real fans like Snoop Dog he loves it. Yeah, that's who. That would be, my contemporary, Just.
Speaker 3: An old man and his son and sharing the moments that you and your dad shared because you were a kid growing up in Pittsburgh going to see the Panthers, going to see the Steelers, going You went to the games, and those are the memories.
Speaker 4: We go to the games too. We didn't go to this one, and we dodged a bullet. As it turned out, I was quite wise to steer him. I didn't know that roots were meaningless.
Speaker 3: Tore they are meaningless.
Speaker 6: Yes, Kate, let me get this straight.
Speaker 5: Check.
Speaker 6: Your son is born in Los Angeles. Yes, raised in Los Angeles, educated in Los Angeles, play.
Speaker 3: High school football in Los Angeles with a bunch of football playing buddies.
Speaker 6: And you're forcing him to be a Pittsburgh fan.
Speaker 4: I won't be represented like that. That's that's ugly from both of you. I know you put it.
Speaker 3: No, you put it on him, you put you had him in Steelers ones eaes and you had him in Pittsburgh Penguin sweaters when he was a little kid.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, what what a disgrace to the colors of the city. It is now. Listen, he's he's his own free will.
Speaker 3: It's not his free will to please his old man.
Speaker 4: He wants a cheer for another pro football team. He just can't do it within my four on that bus.
Speaker 3: He wants the approval of his old man. Old man to go look at my luck.
Speaker 4: Come on, well, listen, he has a terrible town. He owns one.
Speaker 3: I owned no reason for him to have one.
Speaker 4: Well guess what you know?
Speaker 3: What him of those chains that bind him.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to do it and instead tend to your own house.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 3: I got it. But you know how excited I didn't talk about your girls?
Speaker 5: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: My girls love baseball. They're big Dodger fans. You know how excited they've been these last ten years. They celebrated. And I was sitting on the couch watching Game seven or Game six with my daughter. Game seven, I watched in Nashville because were on the road with the Titans. But I'm watching watching the game with my daughter.
Speaker 4: She's all like the movie with Vigo Mortensen where he was a bad guy who's like a gangster murderer Green Book. No not no, he was like a murder and then he goes to some small town. Yeah, and then the mobsters come to get him. He's like, I left that life behind. That's Matt money Smith. He's he's ashamed of his roots. He doesn't want anybody to know. He's Oh no, I'm on the surfboard.
Speaker 3: He's he's robbing out Chicago in nineteen ninety one, I was seventeen years old.
Speaker 4: I've been here for thirty three years, thirty years out in the ocean, like yes, like like he's layered Hamlet the.
Speaker 3: Second I run the South side of Chicago again until nineteen ninety one? Would I hang on to that when I've got the glorious Dodger Stadium and the boys in blue for the boys in summer and daughters that love going to the ballpark.
Speaker 4: In January of nineteen eighty six, was it a special day? Was it a special year? In fact? With you and your old man, my brothers. When the Chicago Bears whipped all but the Dolphins.
Speaker 3: Barely remember it. I'm not kidding. I remember it, but not like it with some sort not like I not like I remember well.
Speaker 4: Ironic, iron they see.
Speaker 3: But that's the interesting thing about championships is you think it's gonna be this seminal moment of your your sporting you know, your sporting fandom, and it just, I don't know, it just ends up kind of being like, aw, all right, well that happened. Now what are we going to do?
Speaker 4: You speak for yourself if that's how it resonates it.
Speaker 3: I did go out and celebrate in the streets when I was a Laker season ticket holder in two thousand, because I went to damn near every single regular season game in almost every I think I went to every single postseason game, including the historic one against Portland, the coming back from seventeen down in the fourth, the Kobe shack, and when they won the title that year, a pal and I went into the streets and celebrate them.
Speaker 4: I loved that Lakers rally in the fourth quarter. I remember it well. They stopped posting Rashid Wallace, who was killing them the whole game and the Lakers overcame out it hipp and melted down. I listen, I can live in the moment and enjoy what's going on locally, I said, all right, I mean listen, I said before we even started the show, I was thrilled for Tim Kits on a human level because I knew he was rejoicing when the Dodgers got.
Speaker 3: Over, by the way, mostly because he was pulling checks. I mean, he gets paid for the day.
Speaker 4: Kate, are you going to defend yourself?
Speaker 6: I appreciate it, Shack, you did text me, and I do appreciate that. It was heartfelt, and I really do appreciate.
Speaker 3: But am I right?
Speaker 5: Cats?
Speaker 3: No, give me, give me that's all. Give me a percentage, gravy percent percentage of you that was happy as a Dodger fan, for your girls, for the family, for your for young Tim Kates cheering on his Dodgers, and percentage that was excited because you knew you were going to get an extra couple bucks because you're covering the parade and there's a couple more days.
Speaker 6: I mean sixty to forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait, what's the sixty you choose?
Speaker 3: Which one? I mean, I got a lot of money. Sheck, you get paid per day. You know it's a Christmas season. He's seventeen extra games, seventeen games of paychecks.
Speaker 6: A full month of scam. It was like twenty six shows.
Speaker 4: That's like putting gravy on a delicious turkey. Though, you get the If you get to talk about your beloved baseball team every day professionally, you're getting whatever your favorite meat of the is.
Speaker 3: That turkey is the meat. You know that the turkey meat is the cash in his pocket because he's putting meat on the table.
Speaker 4: Care for this? I don't care for He hated people like I have no rooting interest anymore. I just like I just like the best personalities. That's who I root for.
Speaker 2: Then quit. Then you shouldn't be.
Speaker 4: Allowed to do it any mean quit you don't actually enjoy the subject matter anymore.
Speaker 3: I love the abject matter, but it doesn't have to emotionally move me anymore. Like I.
Speaker 4: When I say so, that's the performance when you go touch down, chargio, you don't mean it.
Speaker 3: I do. No, that's the charge you were talking about. You know how am I fired up for the Bears versus Steelers? Not in the least like I legitimately have not had a single emotional bone in my body for any Chicago sporting team for at least fifteen.
Speaker 4: You were a White Sox kid, though, right I was.
Speaker 3: I should have been, but I was not. I was a Cubs kid because my grandma raised me and she couldn't drive, so we would just spend afternoons out of school together watching the Cubs on WGN because they played all day games.
Speaker 4: When they got over the hump, finally, my mom.
Speaker 3: Cried tears of sadness when she said, aren't you excited? And I said, I gotta be honest with you. I'm not like I wish I'm trying to. I said, I'm really like trying to emotionally feel this right now, and nothing's happening. Like it's not working for me.
Speaker 4: You're so marinated in booze now you're you're you're immune to human emotion.
Speaker 3: It truly was. It was the Lakers and the Kings that did it to me.
Speaker 4: You know, Oh, I remember when the Kings won their Cup. I said something about it would have been better in the purple and gold, and you said, buzz kill.
Speaker 3: That sounds right, sounds right now. When I when the Blackhawks and the Kings were tangling in the conference finals, and and my mother was, you know, and Tony Zudoc was saying.
Speaker 4: Don't say you did. Don't say you're rooting for the King.
Speaker 3: Said mom, I don't give a good goddamn about the Blackhawks. As far as I'm concerned, they can get swept. You know, I got the Kings. Look, Robata and I are like this. You know these rob Blake and I we play golf together. I mean, come on, what do you think I'm cheering for that?
Speaker 4: Trump's the ties, the roots that go back by decades.
Speaker 3: Not even close. I can hardly remember making those little napkin boats at Chicago Stadium and dropping away out the third deck.
Speaker 4: You're a lack of boat. Now, your lack of regard for history apparently has bled into the Los Angeles Chargers social media team because they have no understanding of history. What do you mean, Well, right after that victory, the housing, the disgracing of the Pittsburgh Steelers before the football nation, in the moments immediately after, they decided on purpose to let the football gods and everybody else know that they think they're above law. I'm not a superstitious man. But I understand fact somebody or some people your colleagues over there with the charger.
Speaker 3: They are award winning I've heard our award winning social media team led by the great Megan Julian.
Speaker 4: Well, listen, she or her team made a mistake that the guys between the lines are going to pay for them the rest of this season.
Speaker 3: And you laugh if you want. Don McLain is joining us in five minutes.
Speaker 4: Okay, right after they took to Twitter and they posted a picture of the terrible towel and underneath it wrote, whoa, this is worthless. What happened the next Sunday? What happened was seven days later, Jacks, Oh no, you didn't lose the law. You got humiliated. Do you think that's some coincidence? Get ready for more, fran I hope the social media jibe was hysterical and worth it because you can go out TJ houshman Zada and the Jaguars and any and the tent Titans. You mess with the terrible stack tree, one hundred percent rate of failure of poking the bear, or well not saying now that's ironic because it's the bears who the Steelers are playing. You know what I'm getting at. You made a mistake and now justin.
Speaker 3: Herb Grizzly, I made that up? What does that mean?
Speaker 4: So we put the over under on. What's that waking up a sleeping giant?
Speaker 3: Sleeping giant? Yeah, well, all right, we're gonna break. Don McLean's gonna join.
Speaker 4: Us Undermine, bitten by my own snake or bear.
Speaker 3: Don McClain will join us Big News Today. Andrew Friedman far han Ziety going to consult the Lakers front office Little Dodger Laker Synergy, as they are now both owned by the same man. Mark Walter get into that with Don McLain, the four and eleven Clippers, the return of Lebron James, and all things NBA, not to mention UCLA basketball. McK cronin already sent it an early message by starting his second unit and saying it's not a message that was sent. We'll get into all that with dmac next.
Speaker 2: We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer.
Speaker 1: Make AM five seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple car Play or Android autumn road trip all summer with La Sports.
Speaker 3: Remember, between now and we'll call it for forty ish, we're gonna give away that one hundred dollars NFL Shop gift card, our final one we've been given away all week long, and then just after five pm we'll pull that grand prize winner, that trip to Las Vegas Resorts World tonight's day, and the four tickets to Raiders Broncos. So between now, we'll say in the next hour, we'll give away that NFL Shop gift card at some point and that will be our final, fifth and final qualifier to win the grand prize. So we're gonna give away and the five o'clock hour joining us right now on a game day, you know, so't tell you to avert his eyes and not have a conversation with him when he's on the call number nineteen UCLA vers Presbyterian Tonight at seven thirty pm on Big ten Network. He'll be there court side calling it. Dave Damaschek in for p and joining us now like he knows every Friday at the Great Don McClain, what's happening, Don, how's it going guys?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm getting ready to get in the car. We'll see if I have anything left in the tank. After last night's ball game down at the Galen Center, that was wild.
Speaker 3: What happened? Share it with us.
Speaker 5: Triplet game winner at the buzzer from three down two for the win for USC.
Speaker 3: Early season college basketball. Don McClain is all over it.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: Let's start there then, Don because mc cronin said that he doesn't believe in messaging, he doesn't believe in doghouses. Yeah, the last game, no Donovan dent out there, Trent Perry to start the game instead it was the twos and he said, look, these guys just played better in practice.
Speaker 5: Your thoughts, well, they may have. I wasn't at practice, but they may have played better at practice. But it's more about and look, even though he says it's not a message, it was a message to the players that we need to get off to better starts. And defensively, they just did won and they took Arizona to the wire, but they just haven't had the same urgency, the same tensity on the defensive end, especially the start game. So I think that was why he did it. The interesting thing will be who he starts tonight because that second group I mean second Medo State's not very good, but they got off to they shut him out for the first I think four and a half minutes that starting group on Tuesday, and then there's a little bit of drop off in the second half. So it'll it'll be interesting to see when we when we get to PAULI tonight, who's starting.
Speaker 4: Don. We've been over this already, so we don't need to rehash it once again. But of course it's nice to reconnect with donal Klin since.
Speaker 3: This is going on.
Speaker 4: He broke my heart when I thought he might come to play on the on the banks of the Three Rivers.
Speaker 3: He came. I watched him playing time You're here and Don joins us.
Speaker 4: His recruitment was still hanging in the balance when he played in the Dapper Dan Tournament.
Speaker 2: And what was it, nineteen eighty eight, eighty eight, that's right, that's.
Speaker 3: Right now, that Calipari that was recruiting you.
Speaker 5: Calipari was an assistant for Paul Evans at that time.
Speaker 4: Paul Evans.
Speaker 5: And Dave. I think I've told you this that that tells you how good of a recruiter is no offense to anybody from Pittsburgh, how good of a recruiter Calipari is that he can get a white kid from southern California to even visit Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Ah, you would have been the missing piece. But anyway, let's talk about the here and now. Calipari. I don't know how many analytics he's applying here, but the word on the street is as they take over more and more, and it's I guess, sort of old, an old story at this point that the Lakers are lagging a little behind the rest of the league. How say you, are you aware of this and how important do you think it is for them to catch up?
Speaker 5: Well, it's interesting because JJ redd it kind of strikes me as an analytics guy, and so maybe that was the case in the past.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I'm not in that locker room. I'm not in those meetings, but you know, everybody's got their own opinion on analytics and how much they should be used. I'm involved with it in the pre draft process that I do in the spring with the CAA, who I work for. They have an analytics department when it comes to recruiting players, and players they already have that are in the NBA, and so I think everybody chooses how much they want to use analytics in terms of evaluation, in terms of performance, in terms of on the court, who plays, what, how many minutes. I'm of the opinion that it's somewhere in the middle. Like I don't think you should ignore all analytics, but I don't. I think if you're only using analytics, you're probably going to miss some stuff.
Speaker 3: It's a salary cap league, don It's an intricate salary cap league because of the penalties for first aprin, second apron, all that sort of stuff. Like what do you think, what do you suspect Andrew Friedman in far hanziety you're going to try to dig into try to figure out what the Lakers are doing right or aren't doing right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good question, And you know, I think that's kind of my point. And it'll be interesting to see what happens with two baseball guys coming into basketball in how they can apply what they've used to a great deal of success with the Dodgers into professional basketball. I mean, I think, and I may be speaking way out of turn here, but I feel like analytics is way more applied to baseball than basketball, or should be at least from where I sit in what little I know about it. But it doesn't hurt to have guys that who have had success in another sport come and take a look at what you're doing in your sport. You know, they've done so well with the Dodgers.
Speaker 4: It just feels a little bit like a computer is making the difference. And I think that's unsatisfying on a visceral level for diehard sports fans. But what do the analytics, or more importantly, what does Don McClain say about LaMelo ball perhaps being.
Speaker 2: A fit for the Clippers?
Speaker 4: They obviously goes without saying have not gotten off to a great start. Is you know LaMelo is now dissatisfied in his situation. Any possibility of that happening, I mean.
Speaker 5: There's always a possibility. And here's the thing, Dave, that that analytics doesn't measure, and this is where I have a problem with people that only rely on analytics. Doesn't measure heart, doesn't measure toughness, doesn't measure how you are in the locker room, doesn't measure how good of a teammate you are, doesn't measure how coachable you are. And so when you rely on oh, well, LaMelo does this, this and this and this is what the numbers say, and you bring it. And I'm not saying he's going to I'm just saying it's the possibility. You bring him into your locker room and he and he and he puts it up in flames because of his personality. And this is for any player. And that's why when you solely rely on analytics, you're walking a slippery slope because there's so much more that goes into it than just what the numbers say on the court.
Speaker 4: But do they need to do something that might feel a little rash to try and salvage this season?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 5: And I said this last week. You weren't there obviously, Dave. But it just it's it's the same old thing for the Clippers. There's always something, always something, and he usually revolves around Kawhi Leonard and he's not playing and they'll say we're waiting for him to get back, just like they said for the last six or seven years, and it just goes round and round. So yeah, bringing LaMelo ball and yeah, maybe that'll help, but it ain't gonna change what's been happening for the last you know, five to seven years. When Kawhi and PG came. It was, it's it's it's. It had been one thing after another, and it's still one thing after another.
Speaker 3: And if it keeps getting worse. The fact that there's an unprotected lottery pick headed to Oklahoma City in.
Speaker 5: This draft, holy holy.
Speaker 3: Right if Boozer's on that team or Demands or one of those guys, my god.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well yeah yeah, And you know, again, that's just another fallout from the failed PG Kawhi thing that like they celebrated when those two game like they were gonna win multiple championships and they've been to the Western Conference Finals once and pg's gone yea and so or all theirs.
Speaker 3: That when I saw that today unprotected and they're four and ten with the fourth worst or tied for the fourth worst number of wins in the league, that's that's absolutely terrifying considering.
Speaker 5: And by the way, Matt, this is a really good draft this year, yeah, really good.
Speaker 3: To the to the Lakers done and Lebron's return twelve assists, one turnover, said that it was laughable that anybody questioned whether or not he'd figure out how to fit in that he can fit in anywhere. Don't know, if you had a chance to watch the game against Utah or if you saw the highlights or whatever. But look, he looked great. He was moving the ball, you know, from the corner, from the mid post, and it looked fantastic when he and Luca were out there. But then I looked at the plus minus and it was kind of weird. It was minus eleven when he and Luca were on the court and plus seventeen when it was Lebron no Luca, plus seventeen Luca no Lebron. I know it's one game, but do you think there is something to that because they're both so good with the ball in their hands.
Speaker 7: Uh, maybe I think that's something to keep an eye on. But I do think, and I think I said this to you a p a few weeks ago, that I hope that this was the approach that Lebron would take that not just come in there and you know, not kick Luca to the side, but try and outduel him or score as many as him. He kind of took a back seat and became a facilitator in a ball mover. And you know, I think if it's going to work, really work a long term with the Lakers, I think that's how it's going to have to be. It's Luca's world, Lebron's playing in it, and he's helping not only Luca but the rest of the team with his IQ. And that doesn't get talked about enough how smart Lebron James is. Whether you like him or not, you can't deny that he is one of the smartest basketball players that's ever played.
Speaker 4: I'm glad you brought it up in that way because intellectually, I'm sure Lebron James, and if he can remove the ego of who he is and has been in the league, understands that Luca should be the main man on the team. But obviously heavyweight boxers have a hard time calling it quits when obviously done for them. Quarterbacks who are one time superstars have a hard time repressing the desire to be the difference in an offense, to be more of a passenger like Peyton Manning when they won the Super Bowl a decade or so ago. How hard do you imagine that is for Lebron right now to accept.
Speaker 5: Well, I think Lebron is well aware obviously of his legacy, and I think what his motivation would be if it stays the way it is is to win another championship, and that supersedes everything. When you're done playing, people remember your career for what you did, not really so much individually, but how many championships you won. And that's across the board. And I think that is Lebron's motivation is if somehow this Laker team could position themselves to make a run in the playoffs and potentially win a championship, he could walk away having done that in his last year. And I think that probably in his mind, I'm sure outweighs anything number, you know, totals anything like that.
Speaker 3: Any concern about defensively, it's fifteen games or sixteen games and now, yeah, sixteen games, and I think and they have some of the worst paint metrics, some of the worst defensive metrics out there, and any concern about that done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think we're far enough in that, you know, are they going to get better? Do they do they make some moves before the deadline or at the deadline to get better defensively, because that's a thing like everyone talks about the thunder and SGA and home grin and their offense and all that, but they're really good defensively, and so if the Lakers are going to challenge them and make a run in the playoffs, they're going to have to get better defensively.
Speaker 3: Was it you're doing? Probably, we'll let you go on this down you're doing Presbyterian? You got to hit the road and get down to Paully. Was it Presbyterian that knocked off Ucla in one of these early contests a few years back? This is this a Presbyterian team? That said, do I remember that correctly? I was trying to remember the early season game that.
Speaker 5: Got there's it's been a few along the way. It's not Presbyterian. UCLA actually beat him by fifteen I think, I don't know, fifteen years ago or something like that.
Speaker 4: I remember a game what you're talking about.
Speaker 5: I'm trying to think of who it is?
Speaker 2: Too early?
Speaker 7: You know who it was?
Speaker 3: Who was it?
Speaker 5: You know it was? It was Belmont, Belmont.
Speaker 3: There you go, it was Belmont.
Speaker 4: They show up in the tourney once in a blue moon. It feels like, you know, there was a game played. I believe early season. Paully Pavilion was the scene. Nineteen ninety one, the UCLA Bruins destroyed the highly rated Indiana Hoosiers. Then in the final eight, you're going to do that. They were in the same region.
Speaker 3: You're really going to do this.
Speaker 4: The same Indiana Hoosiers showed up to the same UCLA Bruins and damage. Yet got his revenge. He's against McClain for not going to Pitt. He was on the I saw what I have two basketball teams I rooted for in college.
Speaker 5: Well the year before that, Pitt came into Paulie and we beat him by one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 4: I'm nice to say about Brian Shorter and Sean Miller in the game.
Speaker 3: We appreciate it. Don have a great call tonight, Big ten Network, UCLA Presbyterian. Check it out. He'll be on the call a seven thirty tip. Thanks Tom.
Speaker 5: All right, guys, have a good weeknd too.
Speaker 3: There he goes. He puts up with so much of your craft, and he does not put up with anybody's craft. It's hilarious to me every time because you're typically in on Fridays, Patrus is doing football games, so more often than that that's the day that he's gone. When I love it, and it's look, damn a check on Fridays is a treat for all the folks stuck in this guyshit here.
Speaker 4: For him, I was, I was, I was optimistic. I was impressionable. He could be the missing piece, this long stretch of a center. He could shoot. Who had seen anything like that in nineteen eighty eight?
Speaker 3: Do you remember his recruitment in nineteen eighty eight? I absolutely really like you heard that.
Speaker 4: You think I'm making that up. I went to see him literally in the civic arena in the Dapper Dan High School All Star Tournament. He was one of the three biggest stars in it.
Speaker 3: Your old man was the team doctor. That's right, Yeah, for basketball as well, right.
Speaker 4: For basketball and foot penguins.
Speaker 3: Look at that what could have been? I'm sure he has said he was just the all time leading scorer in Don almost went to the final four, got close. Yeah, you know, it's uh interesting, not ironic, but an interesting coincidence that Don all time leading scorer packed ten Pac twelve and then when UCLA became a member of the Big Ten. You know who's got him by like four points? Who cal Cheney? Wow?
Speaker 4: Bringing that bringing it on?
Speaker 1: Hum.
Speaker 3: There is that little head to head there between the two of them.
Speaker 4: By the way, Lebron in his prime could rebound his position and he would offset what he lacked around him on those Calves teams at least. Right, Yeah, is he now no longer that guy?
Speaker 3: He's old. He's just too old. You've all played the I mean he still grass boards. He just won't play a defense. He don't play a lick of defense. All right, We got to finish that conversation we started in the opening segment about what makes Dave a bad dad. That's next.
Speaker 2: Hello, PMS listener.
Speaker 1: Did you know Am five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA Sports podcasts.
Speaker 2: There's Rogan and Rodney. That one is my favorite, Dodger Talk with.
Speaker 1: David Vasse, the Dodger Podcast of record, Clipper Talk Without a Musk, follow us all and many more.
Speaker 2: Just go to AM five to seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: WAP that shows your money. Big thank you to Don McClain. Gonna give away that one hundred dollars NFL Shop gift card and if you are the winner of a one hundred dollars gift card, you're gonna be entered for the grand prize drawing. It's big thank you to our friends in Good Morning Football over Time Weekday's four pm Fox eleven plus all about the NFL. Well made by the NFL, hihilarious, Kyle Brandt, Jamie Airdall Manti Tale with the analysis. It's a deep dive into NFL news, sit down with top players and coaches. It is the NFL like you've never seen before. It is Good Morning Football Overtime weekdays at four pm on Fox eleven plus All. Right before Don McClain joined us, you were sharing with me how a tweet from the Chargers' social media team was going to derail their season and was the cause for the Chargers Justin Herbert to have his worst game as a professional and the Chargers to fall apart against the Jags. This was all due to a tweet about a towel.
Speaker 4: That's right, not any towel, the terrible towel. Look again, I don't believe in voodoot. I'm more than happy to open umbrella inside and otherwise, but also under a ladder. There's a one hundred percent rate of failure when you mess with it. It started, if I'm not mistaken with TJ. Houschmann Zada of the Bengals, he tells a funny story about this. Got into the hotel elevator in Pittsburgh and on his way down he saw Steelers fan carrying one of those and he said, I'll give you two hundred dollars for that, to which I've asked him, why the hell would you pay two hundred dollars because it is just a towel. After you think he negotiated with the fan, you know you can't have it, And it was like, yeah, that's right. You know your people up in Chicago they throw everything. Well, no, if it goes into the standard, they don't want it. I don't care how valuable that thing is. Take it back. It's dirty. Why, you're right, the real criminal was the one. I don't care how much hushman Zada offered you for it. You shouldn't be giving it over to him.
Speaker 3: But then again, Bucks, I can go buy one at the on my way to the stadium and have a hundred and.
Speaker 4: Now you've turned it over. But just exactly like the Charger social media team, hushman Zada took it and shined his shoes with it at the end of the game. And that's the year Carson Palmer his knee blew out and the Bengals never did anything. The Titans messed with it, the Jags it recently. I'm just telling you, let's see how the rest of the season goes here.
Speaker 3: I think it was just an opportunity to use the Gravity Falls meme, you know, I mean, that's what the kids like, one of my favorite shows.
Speaker 4: Maybe maybe they'll find the Iron.
Speaker 3: Copes official the Terrible Towel of Pittsburgh original. It's got Akroscher Stadium, the Steelers logo, and then it's got Dipper I think that's his name on the bottom saying this is worthless.
Speaker 4: We'll see if gravity is joined with the Chargers in their fall. I'll tell you why the end of the season.
Speaker 3: How about this? Go ahead about this Aaron Rodgers, after getting his head caved in that entire game doesn't go on that worthless garbage time touchdown drive. Maybe they don't do the Terrible Towel meme. Maybe they're like, hey, classy, classy.
Speaker 4: Wait, they were sticking it to the forty something year old mercenary with that with a terrible towel, as though he has any allegiance.
Speaker 3: Mike Tomlin, Okaine. Yeah, let's go get this garbage time touchdown. We're down twenty five to three, there's three minutes left in the game. They don't want anyone to get hurt. You know, let's just drive the field and suggest that maybe this game wasn't as lopsided as zero for nine on third down couple interceptions.
Speaker 4: Well, it's embarrassing. I'm not going to argue with you about the state of the Steelers. They feel semi fraudulent, and I love to talk about Week twelve NFL, these critical games upcoming, But first before we dig in on any of those, if at all, I do want to say very quickly, if I can take it over, Man, I texted you this. I love doing this show because it's the one sports show I listened to in Los Angeles driving around local and Man, you torched Kawhi Leonard on a level that I haven't heard very many people articulate. And if he happened to catch it, he would probably feel a little embarrassed. I'm sure he has a big ego, But man, you and Petros do a as good a job as anybody. When you set your gaze on whether it's Trojan's football or Kawhi Leonard or otherwise you guys are you guys are institution not just for being funny, but you're as informed and insightful.
Speaker 3: As I My response, because it was right after the Steeler game, Yeah, a couple of days fire and you were like, man, was that a takedown? That was great? And I wrote back, yeah, sorry about your guys. That was it was you sass me.
Speaker 4: It wasn't. It wasn't at all.
Speaker 3: I think I sassed you. I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't think you extended no sympathy for my hard day guy. Listen, I gotta tell you, I'm a little disgusted by what they're doing, but I also have to give a shout out. Even though he can't hear us right now, he's over in Vegas. Maybe with our mutual pole Dan Helly. It seems like they're yet quite a bit a handsome duo, that's for sure. But Petros took time out of his busy schedule at the request. I was the I was the middleman for this. Brad Venami, the coach of Crespy. The the remarkable story. Sure, three years ago, winless, this season, undefeated regular season. It was remarkable. James Moffatt and uh and Chase Kerran and the rest of the fellas John Claude, Van Damna Schet Contribute Swiss Army. He plays it all man, he plays wherever he's need. It's taught him in there. He's ready to roll. He loves tight end. He really wanted to be a quarterback. Who doesn't want to be a quarterback. But like I say, this, Chase Kerran, who's a fifteen year old kid can sling it. He often reminds me of remember in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome when Gibson goes into when Max goes into the actual Thunderdome and he's fighting the guy with the big metal helmet, and then he knocks at master Blaster Master Blaster and he knocks it off, and it turns out there's a wee old man sitting on top. But but the muscle is just a boy. That's how I feel, right every time, every time the helmet comes off of this fifteen year old who you watch sling in the ball. I mean, touchdown, touchdown, touchdown, really has a whip that is you are going to see in Division one. He takes his helmet off and I say the same thing. He's just a boy. Look at his face. It's jarring to me. But Petros took time out of his schedule. Coach Fanami said, man, we be great if Petros would shout us out. And I said, funny because I was just filling in for Petros and I shouted you you out, and he said, Petros, Petros is great. No, he didn't even he didn't. He skipped right past it. He just said Petros is real, funny guy. Man, he's he really did it. So I said, fine, I'll ask and Petros took time and and dropped the line to wish the Celts well beautiful, which was very kind of him to do. Because he is the voice of I think he is as prominent a voice for LA and SoCal high school football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not even close. Like I mean, if Eric Sondheimer is the savant, the high school savant, the you know, the old guard that's been doing it forever, he's arguably the best high school sports reporter. I'm sure Texas has got their old dog in Florida, you know, perhaps has there. Sondheimer's incredible. The fact that he's done it as long as he has is at an institution like the La Times. But yes, as far as voices go nobody. Petros loves high school football and it pulled me into the world of high school football because my kids were going to my day and they were a powerhouse. And then befriended Jason Negro at Bosco, so then I get invested there. And then we've got friends and you know that we're playing at losal that live in the neighborhoods. So now I get invested in the Griffins. And tonight is going to be a special night. It is going to be an incredible night in Division One. After the upset thanks to the monsoon last week of Olu over Bosco, the fact that we got Carson Palmer coaching Santa Margarita Volu, and of all teams, you know, the Titan, the modern day Monarchs unbeatable, and yet they've got to face their kryptonite and Centennial who'll already beat them earlier this year.
Speaker 4: It's great, man. We're two old curmudgeons who've been around for a minute now. And my experience at least has taught me pro football players, even college football players, they revere their college days. Pro football can be a job some of the time for them, but there is nothing like the memories that they have in high school football. They will swim and talk to you as long as you want about their high school team. I have to talk about Ronnie Fossio, looking him giving us keep it like a secret built the spill Fossio.
Speaker 3: And by the way, we're not just the d one place low CEU playing tonight too Big one Murray out of Valley for the for the Griffs. So several times, yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm jealous. I wish I were going to another high school playoff game the night. Well that's what happens when you go undefeated and you get thrown into it. You know what divisions you guys get thrown into?
Speaker 2: Way up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's wild. How its I have like the best season that you've had forever, and then you're like, oh no, we're just should.
Speaker 4: We have lost more?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Exactly, Yeah, well I mean look at I mean, oh lose different. It's Trinity League, so you know they're whatever. Two and nine record isn't representative of how good of a team they are. But still, yeah, it's I think I was talking to DJ and he pointed out, you know, his son's high school team went three and like nine and got putt in the division below them and won it all. And then the next year they ended up, you know, going whatever put in the division up and got housed in the first round. It's just wild the way they were.
Speaker 4: Cresby, Cresby undefeated, lost to a five and five team in the first round. It was a close game, but it was a victory to me that they got over those bullies from Silesia. Boy, they brutes, but they took air of business in that one. Everything was gravy after that victory.
Speaker 3: We'll be back your word number song of the day, uh Dave damascheck in for p here on a five seventy LA Sports