Speaker 1: Don't want to be an American idiot.
Speaker 2: It's a Scott Flung show on seven hundred WLW. We're going to jump right into this one. This it took me and I think a lot of people by surprise. So remember that new intoxicating Hemp law that the state went through, and it was taking the THHC and condensing it and putting it in things like well adult beverages, and okay, that was good. And then the wine comes in ninety day ban he shuts it down to protect the children, and then it's back on again following a court injunction. Then a finally new legislation comes down from the Ohio General Assembly. It fixes the issue. And then news broke literally just the other day of a day or two ago, that it's now in jeopardy becoming illegal because of Congress in Ohio's new intoxicating hemp laws and jeopardy after the Senate block ran Paul's amendment. And you heard some of that audio there and news helping makes sense of it this morning. Is the architect of Ohio's law in this and that would be State Senator Steve Hoffman from Tip City.
Speaker 3: Welcome, good morning, Good morning. I hope you're doing well.
Speaker 2: I'd be doing better if we had an answer to this. Were you caught off guard by this as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we were, you know, the House after the injunction and you know, the House acted on the Lady six. We didn't agree on some things. So we were preparing for conference committee and you know named the chairman of the Conference Committee, and we're setting you know, some times to get together and all of a sudden this came down that caught us by surprise, and we got to deal with it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and THHU, THC and fused beverages are the fastest growing segment when it comes to adult drinks. I mean the craft beer movement. I just saw the Business Curves headline the other day about it's over for craft beer and now it's all THC product. People go, adults going to bars and buying this stuff. And then we had Dwin's ban and that was in Jeffary. The court steps in and fortunately you led legislation to fix this thing to allow that to be sold and it seems to be working pretty well and there's no hiccup there. And now the United States government's getting often they want to go back to the way it was before and completely banning this stuff. And it's all behind Mitch McConnell, who is leading the restrictions on this one. What why now, you know?
Speaker 3: I think going back to twenty eighteen to the Farm Bill that legalized HAMP and then with my bill in Ohio, we followed very quickly on HAMP and we were all looking at industrial hemp on what you could do with it with clothing and straws in industrial use. We weren't looking at this. We knew that it was a very small part, but didn't know that it would take off like this. And I think, you know, Mitch McConnell, who you know, it's a big industry in Kentucky, was pushing for it, and he realizes that there's some bad actors and we should have done things differently in twenty eighteen. I'm not going to say we shouldn't have outlawed it. We should have put some regulations in to start with.
Speaker 4: We didn't.
Speaker 3: And now I think it's kind of going to the extreme at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because the hemp industry is saying that this basically would eliminate ninety five percent of what is now almost a thirty billion dollar industry and some three hundred thousand jobs. And that twenty eight billion is just a tip of the iceberg that's going to increase tenfold in the next number of years because people are liking the thh in fuse drinks more than just traditional alcohol with you know, it has the same effect. And I'm not sure what's driving Mitch McConnell on this one, because he's worried about the children. But we're back to that argument again that Governor DeWine used in order to put leverage on the General Assembly, which I understood the politics of that. I hate when politicians use it to protect the children. But Mitch McConnell's doing that again. Is this headed the same way. Eventually we'll come up with a compromise here and this will not be as bad as we are guessing it is right now.
Speaker 3: You know, I can't tell you for sure now. I mean, in the state of Ohio, we looked at it. The industry said, hey, look, we know that there's bad actors, we know that bad stuff go on, but we're the good guys people that were doing it.
Speaker 4: You know, keep it.
Speaker 3: Twenty one and over and things like that said, highly regulate us, you know, and it's not very often an industry comes to government says, we want more regulations on us. And that was the path that we were going down in Ohio, trying to get into some a good position, and all of a sudden this came up. So I think, if there's a path to good regulations that the industry is asking for, it can still be a viable business.
Speaker 2: The legislation, would you know, Ohio's legs, the one you propose is five milligrams TC beverage and barsarus five milligrams. A new federal structure of KAMMA wants is point four and so that would eliminate the entire sector before it even launches. And at this point, you know, what do you tell I don't know, manufacturers, what do you tell consumers?
Speaker 3: You're right? I mean it would devastate the industry. I mean, so you know, if you have derive your THHD from hemp, it would get rid of that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Will the industry instead turn to legal marijuana processors and get their THHD to infuse their beverages with THD for marijuana. And that then makes a whole bunch of other regulations, because now it's marijuana which legally, and this is we've talked before, this is stupid. You can't take that across state lines because it's an illegal scheduled one drug. But it's okay that the Feds just turn a blind high to it in every state. Right, So, I mean that's the possibility for the industry.
Speaker 2: Should the President just get in and fix this? I know he at times. I mean it's hard to tell what Trump is thinking or what he's actually going to do, because he's pretty good at talking out of both sides of his mouth a lot of times where he stands with this, couldn't he just say, hey, this is dumb, knock it off.
Speaker 3: I guess through the FDA he could do something. You know he's talked about, Yes, you know marijuana, you know, moving it from scheduled one, and that would do a lot not but for the marijuana industry.
Speaker 4: It would give us the ability to do.
Speaker 3: Research and different things like that. So you're right, it's hard to tell what he's thinking then what direction he's going to go in, but I think probably with the FDA he could do something.
Speaker 2: You see, there's all these new businesses going in right from distribution, and that would be you know, THHG shops and things like that, and distributors, and of course the beverage industry itself is blown up, and all of these micro brewers are starting to put efforts into THC and fuse drinks. Is that's what the public wants. They like it, and they want more of it, and you give the people what they want and you regulate it. And that's how it works in America. Least it should anyway. But at this point, because we're still relatively new at this whole process, Steve Hoffman, why would any business invest in the whole process of licensing and compliance and testing and inventory worry when federal law could make ninety five percent of the stuff illegal. It's just going to kill business, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It seems that way, you know that my understanding. You know, if the House and the Senate finally passed this that you know, at the end of the day, though, which looks like it it gives a one year ramp, maybe it won't be illegal for one year. So you know, basically, you need to sell whatever product you have so that you can kind of catch your losses. But yeah, you're not going to keep making more and more knowing that at some point soon you're you're not going.
Speaker 2: To be able to Yeah, it seems like Mitch McConnell and maybe other leadership in the GOP seem to talk again both sides of your mouth is they want states rights and should leave it up to the states, except for something like this, Why not just say, hey, plenty of states have an acted regulation Ohio included to regulate this stuff. Why don't we just defer to them.
Speaker 3: You know, that's certainly a possibility. I mean, we've done that. You know with marijuana. There's a you know a lot of states with medical, there's there's many of them with recreational, like Ohio, and there's still some like Utah that hey, we just don't want.
Speaker 4: This at all.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you could leave it up to the state. But if you you know, you look at the Rand Paul Amendment the other the other night. You know, he was trying to save the industry in Kentucky in particular, that was voted down about seventy five twenty five. So there's a large group in the US Senate. You know, maybe maybe the US House doesn't concur or at least has to say so in this and you know, there's still some hope that it doesn't.
Speaker 2: He's Ohio Senator Steve Hoffman out of justice, Tip City. It's it's we're back to this again. So we have our new intoxicating HEMP law, and that's the beverages that we enjoy edibles and cheers and smoke and stuff like that. Ape but largely this is about the THHD and fused drinks that are sweeping the state, if not the country right now. There's a huge demand for these products and there were legal to sell. Then it became briefly legal, we had a ninety day moratorium, the court stepped in, and finally the Legislature General suddenly their Steve's guidance fixed this and so you can enjoy those beverages now in salom and it's great for industry, it's great for consumers and everyone, and we're keeping out of the hands of kids as well it should be. But now the federal government stepped in under the auspices of Mitch McConnell Kentucky, who said that using the the wine argument, this is hurting children because the Farm bill screwed this up, and we're selling intoxicating products and it may undermine all the stuff we've done in Ohio and at the same time, you know, I think it was Senate Bill fifty six we're talking about here that you implemented. So should you delay implementing this stuff and should we just put this on hold till the FED sorted out or we just continue forward?
Speaker 3: Well, I think here in Ohio, knowing the governor, of the President and the Speaker, they want something done about the bad stuff. They wanted it done, you know, before summer break. Now it's for Thanksgiving. So I think we're going to more than likely act in the next few weeks against the bad things that we know they're out there in the gas stations and selling the kids. How far we go I think is still to be determined.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you also think that this is maybe some I don't know, some sort of power struggle here, because well, the opposing forces here are both Kentucky senators. You've got McConnell versus Paul, and we know their positions on this thing. Is the rest of the country in Ohio just getting caught up in this? Do you think there's something like behind the scenes going on here or is it just coincidental they're both from Kentucky.
Speaker 3: I think it's probably quincident all. I think it's also part that Mitch mcconnald lamed up on his way out, and you know, maybe this is, you know, one of his legacy things he's trying to get fixed before he leaves. I think there's a lot of stuff like that in there, but probably coincidental that the two are from the same state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be honest with you. I mean, you know, we question, and rightly so, the power of Biden's auto pen and how many of these edicts, decisions, executive ours and like he made were done without his knowledge. I probably could say the same thing about Mitch McConnell. We've seen people behind the scenes, aids and assistants that dictate policy. We've seen this with Diane Feinstein and others. I would think it works with Mitch McConnell's even know what the hell this is at this point.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm certainly not in the position the past judgment on that, but he's had a very very honorable career in the state aid of Kentucky and what he's done in the US Senate.
Speaker 2: So let's talk a little bit about the propersonality of this too. Is you know, the wine was concerned about child poisonings in the executive order, And I wonder how much Mitch McConnell really believes in this. Did did the federal approach and eliminating the industry does that actually?
Speaker 4: Does it?
Speaker 2: Does all this match the scale the ban? And does it match the scale of the child safety problem? Because I just I don't see that. Certainly there's a danger. You're a physician, you tell me. You see overdoses and kids present to emergency rooms, emergency departments, poison control centers because they ingested an edible or maybe drank something they shouldn't. We've seen that with alcohol and prescription drugs for that matter. But is the remedy here worse than the illness?
Speaker 3: Well, that's always the question, right Scott. You know, what's the balance, the balance of protecting people balance for people's liberties? And now it appears that, you know to me, and I thank you, the federal government is making it unbalanced to those liberties that people should have, rather than than going overboard on the safety.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and the whole industry hangs in the balance here, it really does. And I guess we're just going to continue on when they sort this thing out, and do you have hope that. I'm really rooting for Ran Polock quite honestly, because I think he made a great impassion plea as a libertarian, which I thoroughly love. I know why this stuff should be continuing on the path. It is of legality and you know, regulate it like anything else. Absolutely, it's an intoxicating product, can't fall in the wrong hands. But to simply shut the whole sector down because of the twenty eighteen Farm Bill and we're protecting children is a mindless exercise. Do we have hope that this thing is going to simply get squashed?
Speaker 3: I think the hope is the one year.
Speaker 4: That is given.
Speaker 3: To fix this in a different way, so the band wouldn't happen for a year on a federal level. Maybe they come back and you know, give the state's the ability to do it. Maybe they legalized drinks, so I think that was what the thought process.
Speaker 2: There was, or maybe looked like states like Ohio go well, they seem to be doing it right. That is the Petri dish of experimentation.
Speaker 4: Is it not?
Speaker 2: That we have fifty states, and of course in each state, multiple counties and jurisdictions, and somebody eventually is going to come up with a good idea that we can copy and use as a national model. But the posturing here is rather confusion, especial at the time when we just had this protracted the longest government shutdown in history, and now the news that's coming out as they're messing with your THHD and few drinks, just when you need the most, Steve, with the holidays coming up and the headache we have with government shutdowns.
Speaker 3: You know, sometimes you just scratch your head, don't you really?
Speaker 2: Do You really do other stuff to worry about. All right, I know you're optimistic about this thing, that the cooler heads will prevail, someone will get the MCCONLLM go. This is a bad idea. Just look at Ohio. Hopefully that is going to happen because people enjoy this stuff. It's a legal product, and people argue it's better for you and feel better than drinking traditional alcohol. So you know, I pick your poison, as it were. But this is a silly, silly exercise in what government does it which is the worst, and that is picking winners and losers. All the best, Steve, thanks for joining.
Speaker 3: You take care, have a good day.
Speaker 2: You too, Take care State Center or Steve Huffman on the Scotslan Show this morning on seven hundred W. They'vet all worked up about this because it's just stupid.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I've tried the tht beverages. I like him better than like an energy drink, for example, which, by the way, I just saw a story of study about energy drinks and long term heart issues and brain issues and stuff like that. I don't know if it's true or not. I've tried energy drinks before. I just don't like the taste of them. I have to find one I really like. But plenty of people enjoy energy drinks, you know, the same thing should. Young kids are getting caffeine. They're going on the Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts McDonald's. Kids enjoy coffee. When you're a little kid, you always hated coffee, right you try, How could you drink that? It's terrible? And then your taste buds changes. You get already love coffee. Now, young people, largely because it's loaded with sugar, will drink caffeinated drinks, and a lot of them for that matter, too, and that causes problems. Why aren't we cracking down on that stuff, and we should. Is what I'm saying is you know there are harmful effects, and no matter what you know, too much sugar is going to be bad for you as a result of that. And in this case, if you're an adult and you want a legal beverage that should be legal for that matter, you get the same effect as alcohol. You're not picking winners and losers, and you're of course you're parsing over whether or not it's bad for kid. Well, it's all bad for kids. Everything we put in our bodies, generally, outside of maybe water, and if you live in Flint maybe not so much either. Then water's bad for you. Right, You can actually die from drinking too much water. So I don't know. If it's poison, it's one thing. But if it's something that's intoxicating, God knows. We need it today more than ever because the nonsense the government continues to pull. I need more alcohol, I need more intoxicating things, not less, as a grown asked man. Scott's Sloan seven hundred WW. Here we go, and this midweek morning, Scott's Sloan here seven hundred WLW starting to warm back up a little bit day to winter there I didn't do for you, probably not so good. But no feels good outside this morning. And we're halfway through at this point, still trying to figure out what's going on with the drop of the Epstein files. And now we're gonna lease some and it's got Trump's name in it, but there's some weird coded messages, and I just I don't know what to make of this whole thing. I can't wait to see what comes at well. I guess more to come out too. But you know something about the loudest barking dog, It's like it's almost cryptic fortune cookie kind of stuff. Let's get to the let's get to it all right, pitter patter, let's get at her, drop all the files, let's find out what's going on. Let's go, let's go, let's go. Last night, did you see any of the Northern lights? My wife is absolutely fascinated. That could be one of the next bucket list trips we do is to go watch the Northern Lights. She's fascinating with it. Soh yeah, okay, that's your thing. Let's go. Let's do it. The report last night because we had the I think it's ranked like G one through five, and last night was a G four and pretty bright anyway, and I recall the one last year was one of the best ones ever. You could even see the lights as far south as Florida Northern lights. Last night was pretty wrong as well. Reports of being able to see the lights in and around Cincinnati. And when my wife friend is last night at sunset, she's like, walks through the window the new house goes, I don't see anything. Well, that's because your facing south. I was hard hard time with people who don't get directions, and I don't know why. That's an interesting phenomenon that some people are really really good with direction, Like to me, it just comes naturally, like I know where north southeast west is or direct I'm not as good with. I'm more of a landmark guy, Like you tell me the name of Astraia, go where's that again? But I, oh, it's here. Oh yeah, okay, I can And you showed me once I can get there and I can get back. It's not a problem. But I realized that some people, man, no matter how hard they try, God bless them, they struggle with directions. Some people you could write it down and they'll still get lost. I guess, so, thank God for ways in the apps out there. But last night in the northern lights, as long as you're looking north, you might have been able to see them south. Maybe not so much, maybe not so much. But we all of our things, don't we? We sure do. This is interesting in Tennessee, got guy on death row there and he's I guess in Tennessee, either way they do. You can choose how you want to die. How do you want to die.
Speaker 4: In there?
Speaker 2: It's electrocution or lethal injection. To me, that doesn't seem like much of a choice, Like I'm one hundred percent with lethal injection.
Speaker 4: I know that.
Speaker 2: Well, you know you still between the drugs and you can still feel something, and you know we're splitting hairs when you talk to it. In this case, a guy who by the way, raped and murdered a student at Chaganu State University in nineteen ninety at that point and you're convicted that you know, I hope you feel a little pain. Quite honestly, this whole cruel and unusual punishment. Then unusual punishment and cruelty is one thing. And as much as we would want some sense of retribution for those kind of crimes where you really want them to suffer. I get that the constitution prohibits that, but we have I somehow come to interpret cruel and unusual as if you feel any pain whatsoever, if you're even the most at least been uncomfortable, got a little ogita over the fact that you're gonna be executed. Yeah, I'm sorry, this should be a little bit, just a little bit of pain involved there. I don't understand that. Okay, you get a drug to knock you out, make you not feel anything, another drug to calm you down, Another one that's gonna slow your heart, another one's gonna stap your breathing. In this whole cocktail of dry you can't make it any nicer to take someone's life than that. And yet there are still issues with well, well, here's what we think is going on in their brain. We're getting some brain function. And uh, honestly, I think we got way too nice about all this stuff. It seems to me. You know, we have these thirty ton presses that can bend iron and steel in the blank of an eye, very dangerous equipment and factories people around all the time. But somebody's head in that I mean an industrial press that would take the problem rather quickly. I'd be rather it'd be messy, but you know, you got pressure washes, maybe some birds picking at the stem, and that'd be like the way to do It's like, okay, here's this giant press, like a guillotine. Well, the quillotine can be you know. Okay, back then it was run by gravity, you know, French Revolution. We're going to be head people and sometimes it did miss and it's not good. Now we've got hydraulics. Man, get some get some heavy equipment involved, you know me, I like construction. Get some heavy equipment involved in here. Take care of the problem. And part of the problem here though again with the death penalty. Nineteen ninety is when he was convicted. It's twenty twenty five. That's the problem with all of this. But yeah, I definitely would go in lethal injection, our extracution. I think, yeah, you heard some stories look back in the day where they really didn't go quietly and there may be some suffering. They may still be alive afterwards. Okay, but we have better technology now, that's the best we had at the time. Old sparky LEAVELD injection seems to be the best way to do. But now we even steal full pain. Okay, fine, I say hydraulic press, thirty ton high product, the stuff that they make, you know, car panels out of punches, the metal done that, something like that. And if you're in that industry, you know you're probably far stronger things out there you could do to someone to take them out. We have a lot of options available for us. It's like, how just how nasty do we want to get though? Yeah, the idea squashing somebody's head like a like a grape probably left to appealing to a lot of folks. Quite honest, I think that would be the way to go. You're not gonna feel anything after that. It's good. We're just smashing you down like a used car. Kind of gross, I know. But if we're worried about pain and suffering and the constitution cruel and unusual, it may be unusual, but that is not cruel. That is a quick way to end somebody right there who has it coming? In this case, that's it coming. Now we're getting choices on they want to go. I don't get it. This is a uh you know, Supreme Court has a lot going on. Later on the show. This morning. By the way, it's the Skotis v. Potus battle, and the Supreme Court is debating Trump's tariffs and whether or not they are indeed attacks. And as you may recall from grade school, that only Congress can lovy attacks. That is the only branch of government that can enact attacks would be Congress. And so how do terrorists work? Is it attack? Well, Trump's the solictener General as a matter of fact admitted that it's an attack, so kind of underminds the argument, and Cavanaugh and Coby Barrett said that it seemed to indicate that some questions about that and seem to lean towards it and read the tea leaves at these things. And sometimes it's true sometimes that I love how everyone says, well, they're just going to rule straight with Trump, or they're gonna res straight with Biden. Then they never do. They wind up doing their own thing, and confound even the people who appointed them. Sometimes is the case, because you never know which way the whole court's going to go. So this will be interesting, you know, whether or not the tariffs are actually legal or not. And if you undo them, what does that look like? So it's a whole thing anyway, we'll get into that at eleven oh six today and what that actually means. But in the case of the Supreme Court hearing Kim Davis's petition, she remember Kim David being in Kentucky. So in twenty fifteen was the same sex marriage issue. And this is the woman and as I believe the clerk of court, she was refused to issue a marriage license to a gay couple in Kentucky saying it violates your religious beliefs. And that led the lawsuits and I think the couple got like one hundred thousand dollars and the Circuit Court upheld it and now it's been kicked up to the Supreme Court. That the argument, her argument is that it has no constitual basis and it conflicted with her religious beliefs. And you know, I always look at that and go, I don't know, if there's something that conflicts with your personal beliefs, then maybe it's time to either get someone else to do that or just step aside and go I can no longer do this job. And there's nothing there's nothing wrong with that. You admire someone for standing by their deeply held religious beliefs, But how much is reasonable accommodation for someone like that. And I know, if you're on the far right, if you're goods and conservative, do you think this is the most important case of all time. But you know, then you look at and go, okay, well, she's these are her deeply held religious beliefs. But she's been married what at the time anyway, four times to three husbands, as I recall, and three of them mented a divorce, and she had two daughters from the first one got remarried and there was a chain of divorces there. And you know, the argument is that gay marriage undermines traditional marriage. And why there's an argument right there. I'm sure there's someone who's more conservative Christian than she is that doesn't like Kim Davis because she has been married so many times, married and divorced, which in the eyes of many Christians is a no go Catholics, for example. So you know, if you're a Catholic that worked with her, I just don't understand how you couldn't be offended by that. And what about their religious beliefs. I don't know where does it end. The Saint is sainct dear marriage thing, I mean, marriage has become it's getting stronger. I think the numbers are maybe starting to go the other way, but as people wait to get married much later in life than previously. But your whole sanctity of marriage argument is arguable. What does that actually mean? But you know the other element of this thing two is that we had what there's a pretty good fact pattern here since and it's something like three hundred thousand same sex couples were married after this and have been married after this. And you know, you look at the boost to local economies just making life easier for people. Basically, same sex households and states of legal marriage have higher earnings, hire its to home ownership, sexual ent hate crimes and employment destrication against people like that are have declined. STD rates are down. And so yeah, I mean, if you look at the studies over the last twenty years since we've done this, there's no evident, there's no reliable evidence, let's put it that way, that there's somehow harm to the general population, which was laughable to begin with. There's just there's no ada. I'm sure you can do some studies that may be biased, and someone likes, well, what about the Look, what are the negative effects on marriage rates of different sex couples and there isn't any And the fact of the matter is like seven of the ten Americans have no problem with it, largely good for sight. Why because it's consenting adults doing consenting adult things. There's no victimization of children or animals or anything like that. And people have tried to throw that red hairiring out there, and it's a bad comparison. It's like, no, there are two people who happen to be the same sex if they want to be together in marriage. I think this church shouldn't recognize that that's no business with chair, unless you find a church that does. But by the state, absolutely, it's just better for the economics and the machineer or of the United States for that to occur. And Kim Davis being offended that she has to issue a license and find someone else to do it or just step aside. It's like when pharmacists wouldn't issue certain prescriptions, like well then you okay, have someone else in the office do it, or maybe maybe the terms of the job have changed and you can't do it anymore. And that's not just true for pharmacists and clerks of courts, but any job now, I mean, look at AI and there are many people who have been hanging on and doing jobs for a long time and don't understand all this technology. And if you can't, you just to go, oh, I can't send people that refuse to send emails. Now I'm still say faxes like it's you know, twenty ten, and you're still twenty fifteen, twenty twenty, You're still doing this Like either learn, you adapt, or you got to move on. That's just how it is. Hate being the adult in a room, but that's the way it is. At five, one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand and eight on the Big One talk Back iHeartRadio app to South Lebanon and Aubrey on the Scotsland show High There.
Speaker 5: Hey, I was listening to your show earlier about talking about the hemp products and the politicians lobbying to and I'm thinking about how much money is being spent by the alcohol industry. And I did a little research when I got home, and I'm looking at the list of our alcohol industry lobbyists that have spent money in the last quarter to get cannabis products, cannabis drinks off the shelves, and I'm just going to read them out to you. Anheuser Busch, Bacardi Beer Institute, Desill Spirits Council, Moat Hennessy, National Beer Wholesalers Association, Wine and Spirits Wholesalers of America. So there's a lot of money, deep pockets, old money in the US that's fighting to keep these products off the shelves, and I think it's going straight into the politician's pockets. This is about money. This has nothing to do with safety for children. This is crocodile tears. They don't care about the safety of the youth. If they cared, they'd be more worried about getting beer out of the hands of sixteen year olds.
Speaker 2: But well, I also, I mean, and that's a understanding. I'm with you on that. It's like, Okay, do we want our kids having these products? No, whether it's an edible or a eight product that's harmful to them, that has taching now and no one wants that. We should go after the illegal sellers and the straw purchases and all as well. We should, But you know, if you're a law abiding adult, I know plenty of people, not myself. I'm I can't say I've had enough of them. To get a good sample size of what I like and don't like. But people seem to really enjoy the THHD infused products. And now we have senators that are debating whether or not that should simply go away because of what happened on a farm bill and protecting children and the sanctimony of it all. And I will say, though, on the other hand, I mean, I'm sure that Rand Paul is influenced by that kind of money too, when he seems to be very resistant to this whole thing. I don't know, it's just Mitch McConnell.
Speaker 5: Well, I think I know why Rand Paul isn't influence I think he's more of a libertarian.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: I think Mitch McConnell is an old school Republican and Ran Taull comes from the Iron Rand school of thought, where you you more individual rights and less influenced by the old school you know, government, government, nanny state.
Speaker 2: But anyway, well, this isn't this isn't much different than I was just talking about. I mentioned the you know, the filler here about Kim Davis in gay marriage. I just never understood the how this, how this hurts a traditional marriage. You know, I've been in a traditional marriage for thirty five years, and I've never once been threatened because two gay people of each other and want to be tied in in matrimony and maybe not recognize the eyes of the church, which we shouldn't force churches to do that, certainly, but you can go to the government. Government should be the arbitrator that And the twenty years plus we've had this, it's been better for society, not worse like the people that Kim Davis claim it's going to be. And so I government being an outside arbitrator these things going now, it's a sense of adulthood and fairness and propriety. And if it's something that is not overly harmful, and everything we do is harmful of course to us or harming others, is there not a victim in it, you should be allowed.
Speaker 6: To do it.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I don't want to get entangled in the religion because of my religious beliefs about the marriage issues. But I will point out my husband and I were just having breakfast. Shame on Mitch McConnell for wanting the federal government to step in over States rights. Right when Trump in, you know, we edded the federal ban on abortion and allowed states to division whether they were going to permit it. Why don't we just keep it the way it is? Why do we have to have a federal ban on a product? Why don't we keep allow the states rights? The states have determination on whether they want a product on the shelves. Why have to have big the big government determining what we permit.
Speaker 2: But that's all I appreciate it. That well, thanks again Aubrey for listening to show then South elevenon this morning A five one, three, seven, four nine, seven thousand. Well, it's it's part of the hypocrisy of politics. I mean, at least I'm consistent with a lot of this stuff is that, you know, I just I just want less government, stay out of our lives. And we're in a new age, and I understand that there's a you know, the new conservative, new liberal movements that are going to make things worse, not better in that regard. And at some point you think we'd move away from that going you know, we just need more civil libertarianism. Then we need people telling us how to live our lives. You know, stat of the way, let's make money, be an arbiter, be a referee. But you know, that's a dreamline. I realize it's a pipe dream and probably is. I don't know as fictitious a belief as how liberals believe in utopia and that can never exist, or conservatives believe that how things were fifty or eighty years ago was a perfect world and things are worse today. That's not true either. The reality is that it seems to work better where we have a divided government and a government just looks at stays out our way. But of course we have everything from jerrymandering to campaign finance that we're just talking about it more that cloud that And look at it this way. If if we had that perfect world, like a libertarian world where adults can do adult things, provided there's no victims in it other than yourself or the person you're doing adult things with, and you're not harming the rest of society, then it seems like, you know, that should be the way to go. But unfortunately that takes away the base, and it takes away the authority of politicians. You know, we all bitch and moan about what our favorite thing that would be carve outs and pork and you know, loading up bills with I mean, look, at look at to open the government. Look at some of the stuff they've included in there. It has nothing to do with keeping the government open. But that's how they ingratiate themselves, and that's why you have set asides and carve outs for their particular constituents, and which is why it is a maze of law that makes no sense. If you got to rid of all that stuff, and that is the essence of what Doze was supposed to do, you would have less need to elect these people. But that takes away their base, their power, and their authority. And it's about them, not us, regardless of what political belief you have. Anyway, let me get to a news update and more to follow after ten oh six here on the Scott Sloan Show on seven hundred w do to a council member Mark Jefferies one reelection and we now have new curfews coming. So now they want to lockdown the area on Short Vine like they did Fountain Square. We have different times. It's this makes no sense at all, another senseless move, and we'll try to make sense of it after this on seven hundred w WT Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be an American?
Speaker 2: Scott slumback on seven hundred WLW with a shooting caught on video what just last week the other week near UC and students of course, the victims of crime there. There After, pure Vall has paused his proposed six o'clock fountains where a juvenile curfew to focus now on Shorten Vine near you see, near the campus, and now wants to stop juveniles. I don't know what age, but after nine o'clock, and that's obviously tougher than the eleven o'clock curfew city what and so we've got these conflicting curfews, and the question is does it make sense. Mark Jefferies, council member re elect and also sits on law in public safety. Welcome back, Congratulations on your win.
Speaker 7: By the way, thank you, Scott, appreciate the opportunity here.
Speaker 2: I don't know first blush of this, I look at it and go, well, number one would be it seems like we've got a whole bunch of different times when the curfew is I you need like a curfew app, like a parking app, to tell you exactly what areas you can be in at what age at this point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, look, I've said this all along you know, I spent seventeen years of TMG and marketing, and the one the one thing you learn at marketing is having.
Speaker 7: A consistent message.
Speaker 6: And so if it's nine o'clock or eleven or six, and which block? I mean, even in this one short flying it's two blocks. So that's one concern. The other concern, honestly is like, what you know, this is a problem for business owners there. I've gone up to folks on shortvind I met with a bunch of the businesses there. We have issues. The question that I have is what.
Speaker 7: Exactly are we solving for?
Speaker 6: Because when we look at a lot of the incidents, you know, there's one in August tenth, which was twelve forty five, There's one at September thirteenth, which was one thirty six people attacking three people for pizza. The one on November first, first, who references, happened at two forty nine am.
Speaker 7: A lot of those are outside of even the eleven pm curfew.
Speaker 6: And so the first question I'm going to have today is are we enforcing the eleven pm curfew which is citywide there? Because those three incidents I just referenced are happening after that. You know, so, you know, I think we start there, you know, are we enforcing the current one, what's working, what's not working? And then assessed from there like what exactly are what sort of especially non violent activity or what kind of activity are we trying to prevent from nine to eleven?
Speaker 7: So a lot of questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the other consideration is the fact, well, are aren't the bulk of college students teenagers? And therefore how do you discern which one should be there and which one shouldn't? But simply by just looking at them, they're all teenagers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean presumably it's under eighteen, and you know a lot of college kids are above eighteen. But you know, I mean that's where it gets very complicated, right, you know, you know.
Speaker 7: They're they this is a big problem. I mean, there are kids who are gathering there.
Speaker 4: I mean.
Speaker 6: Part of my concern though is also, and I've said this so along, is Okay, you have it downtown over the Rhine, and then you push it up to short mind, Well, what what happens now? It's going to go over to clips in there, go over to Sire, Yeah, I go to you know, Westwood, Like where are they going to go?
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 7: And you know you're in.
Speaker 6: A whack a mole situation. So how are we thinking about that? And you know, so a lot of questions and I want to understand what the what the thought process is, and what the rest.
Speaker 2: I think, Mark, and that's a great point is that you you know, we've seen this before. We'll do the prostitution stings right and shut down a whole neighbor. They'll just go to the corner up the way and do it there because there's a market forarder in list kids, juvenile delinquents want to be the link win and they want to cause problems for everyone else. I get. So it seems to me again we're back to that thing you have no control over, would which would be the judicial branch, right, and that would be judges getting tough and cracking down on repeat offenders and especially those with gun crimes, sending a message it's not going to be tolerated.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The other element here too, is is what the idea, ideal curfew policy would look like for the city. Any idea?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean I think we need to look. First of all, I think it is a consistent policy and.
Speaker 7: You know, look now that it's getting colder.
Speaker 6: You know, typically these activities reside and colder, you know, they're not as much during cold months. I think now is the time to take a step back, and I've asked the administration to have you know, interim chief any come forward and you know, say, hey, look what has worked. How many kids have we have we actually enforced the curfew on? What does that look like? You know, where has it been effective? Where has it not been effective. Let's start there, and especially let's play it for next spring and summer when the warmer months you know, typically you.
Speaker 7: Know, spike these kinds of events. So I think let's start there.
Speaker 6: Let's let's you know, look at this as like end of year, you know, before we figure out what the next plan is.
Speaker 7: Let's figure out.
Speaker 6: What's working and what has been effective, and just honest assessment of you know, of you know, what we've done and things have worked.
Speaker 7: Then let's pivot and do something different.
Speaker 2: Mark Jeffries, the summer curfew district has been going on for a while now, and you know, kids going back to school. It's getting cold. I understand that, but what about the feedback from that relative to this and if it makes sense or not. I mean, do we have facts that actually improves safety or reduce the number of incidences along journals and Fountain Square.
Speaker 7: I don't know. And that's part of what exactly my point. We haven't had any data.
Speaker 6: I mean, we're finally getting to data on the food truck, you know band that they've put in place, which frankly shows no real effect. And so I want to understand the same thing on curfews. Okay, let's start with what's been done. Is it being effective and and not? And you know, we're we talked about being data driven, so I think, you know, let's see what.
Speaker 4: The data does.
Speaker 2: I'll be honestly, I think the food truck idea is the dumbest thing to come down that no one will take credit for. I don't know who started or why they thought it was a good idea. It makes absolutely no sense, the first and foremost being that the number one issue downtown or at least you know where we're talking about where short fine is too anywhere around the city's stuff from cars. What food trucks have no role in this is like and especially I feel for the vendors because they just want to make money, you know. Closing them down at eleven o'clock and then on a college area. And when I was in college and you were in college, Hell, you're up till three four in the morning, right, and so who want to get some food from a taco truck or a Burger truck or pizza at two or three in the morning. It seems like it's a great opportunity for the entrepreneur and the student as well. But you've got knuckleheads out there doing this kind of stuff, so we, of course we punished the good people.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: I think it's the dumbest policy ever quite honestly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I've never been a fan of it. I mean I can see a case for you know, making food truck zones or something like that. Hey, these are the areas where food strucks can gather, where.
Speaker 6: People can you know, come and then CPD can monitor at that's fine whatever. I think the focus needs to be on really pushing and we're starting to do some mon garages, but around security around parking lots. You know, look, sixty percent of guns are stolen out of cars and a lot of that is happening in parking lots, so we should we need to have better lighting, better security, better signage to sell people lock of your gun if you have it in your car. You know, that is how you keep these illegal guns off the street. So I want to see a lot of emphasis in that.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair too. I think it may be again it's punishing good people, but I get the impetus here is you shouldn't be leaving your gun unlocked a car. It needs to be in a box, in a safe box or something like that. A console, a glove box under the seat is not good enough. That's that's driving the demand for people to break into cars. And of course the element then is attracted around there, and so they're going to hang out and do bad stuff when they're not breaking in the cars.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I wouldn't even say punish to the people because you know, I mean, look, I'm a gun owner. You can have your gun just if you have it in your car. Lock it up and put it in a secure stake or you know, lock it somehow to make sure that if your car.
Speaker 7: Hopefully it's not broken in.
Speaker 6: You know, if we have security and we have lighting and we have cameras, you know, that tends to deter a lot of nefarious behavior. And so the more we can do there to prevent people from getting these illegal guns in the first place is a huge start.
Speaker 2: Okay, he is council member Mark Jeffrey's Law Public Safety Committee, among others, And of course we had a rash of crimes on Short find Now the mayor is going to talk to council just a little bit here as a matter of fact, regarding shifting priorities when it comes to juvenile curfews from Fountain Square to Short Vine or you see, and making it maybe as early as nine o'clock for unsupervised juveniles. But the problem, of course is that most of the people around college campuses tend to be in that particular age group. I don't know how you a police officer to be able to discern a I don't know a seventeen year old from an eighteen year old, unless say, asking everybody for IDs or if this is even feasible for this point, and I get the effort we're trying to do here, but again, it's a much much bigger issue than just putting curfuws, John, especially when we don't have evidence that the previous curfews worked at all. Anyway, have you had any input or are you going to get input from UC and especifically the students or the businesses on Short Vine or anyone in Coryville for that matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, I've met with students.
Speaker 6: I've met with I had a meeting with a bunch of the businesses there and went up to Short Fine and sat down with them.
Speaker 7: And you know, look, CBD has a justice of parking.
Speaker 6: They're trying to make it easy, you know, harder for you know, folks to come in and park there and you know, and party along Short Vine. So they're they're you know, I don't know how effective of those measures are, but you know, these business owners are They're like, look, this is the worst that's been in thirty years, and so we have to do something. And that's where I think the first question is, given that a lot of these instances have happened at twelve forty five thirty two thirty in the morning, is are we enforcing the eleven pm curfew that we have in.
Speaker 7: Place right now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, And that's that's where we start. And let's see, you know what, you know what, whether that's been affected.
Speaker 4: Should we not?
Speaker 2: Why should we be reading into this politically and a political sense Mark jeffres In that okay, so you can chief thg that's up in the air. Mayor wins re election quite handily as you did in other members of council, and now we go, Hey, you know, I forget about Fountain Square even though okay, I get it's colder, but you're still going to have a lot of people at Fountain Square because of the holidays and the festivities of the ice rink and all that stuff. So now we're going to take our focus with from Fountain Square and put it on Short Vine. Is the timing that's kind of a concern.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think there's a political thing there.
Speaker 6: I mean, look's if you know, because I do not think that we can take our eye off the ball on a Fountain Square and downtown and over the Rhine, you know, because to your point, people are going to be coming down. The Convention Center can be open in January. We've got that new plaza where they're going to have to rain. You're going to have a Christmas festival on Fountain Square, like, we have to have a safety during that time over Now, that has to be our priority. That's our front yard, you know, and obviously priority in the neighborhoods as well. But you know, when people come down to downtown, they you know, we need them to feel and and beast states so that they hang out and spend money and you know, and contribute to the vibrancy of our not just our city, but our region.
Speaker 2: You've got Red Fast, You've got that, the Ice Frank as you mentioned, you've got Halidi Festt, Fountain Square, you've got Santa, you got all the stuff going on in downtown. And now we're going, hey, forget about Fountain Square and I are going to focus on Sure. Why can't we do both?
Speaker 6: I think no, and I think we need to do both. I was ever a big fan of a six pm curfew on Fountain Square, so still the nine pm still exists. Six pm I just thought was a little too early, and then it does create confusion around what's six, what's nine, what's eleven? So I do think, you know, I've talked to Interim Chief Enny, and he's still very focused on in and around downtown, and you know, and as I think he should be, all.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah and focus on those doing the act and making sure because typically when you arrest these individuals, there's previous either wants and warrants out for them, or they've done something in the past and they've got a history of causing problems. I think we need to really lean on And I don't know why it's so tough to ask judges to know, be better what they're doing here to make sure that those who are repeat offenders, ratchet up the punishment for them, to set a message that that's not going to be tolerated behavior and it's not gonna make it go away, because there's always going to be someone else out there doing bad stuff. I get that, but I think it does have a chilling effect when you start getting tougher on sentences and punishments for people who are doing this kind of stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Look, I mean, I've got four kids. If you have rules and you don't enforce the rules and there's no real consequence, you really don't have rules. And so I think, you know, we've got to we have to do what we can do here in the city Hall, which is make sure that we're you know, we're catching the back guys and then you know, once to get the judicial system, you know, continue to push forward, making sure that you know the consequences of the actions of these individuals, especially repeat defenders, are you know, material and prevent them from you know, continuing to do it again?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: Finally, because I know you got to get in there. Mark Jeffries is up. What are you going to look for with the mayor's presentation of the city's presentation relative to your vote and how they should go? What questions you still need to answer? It kind of sum it up here.
Speaker 7: Yeah, A lot of questions. Are we enforcing the current care few?
Speaker 4: What's worked?
Speaker 6: What hasn't worked on to our fine in particular, you know, what kind of non violent activity is happening between nine and eleven?
Speaker 7: Like what's going on?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 6: And uh, you know and and specifically you know what you know, what would the path be forward if you know kids go to clips in the North.
Speaker 7: Side or another neighborhood.
Speaker 6: So a lot of these questions that I think we need answered before we figure out whether this is the right next step or not.
Speaker 2: Also find out about the jihat on food trucks too. That is just that is just sill.
Speaker 7: I'm going to ask about that too. I'm not I'm not you know, look at me.
Speaker 6: From the data that they present presentation that they shared ahead of time, like, it's not making any material impact.
Speaker 7: So if it's not, then why are we doing it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be Yeah, we've got speeders on the road, so we close the road. It's uh, everyone else wants to use it too. So and by and largest, ninety nine point nine percent of the people who are buying a hamburger or a slice of pizza or a taco are law abiding people. Let's deal with the point one percent that's caused the problems rather than shutting it down for everybody else. It's insane, is with that is Mark Jefferies. Glad to have you back on council and thanks again for joining the show.
Speaker 4: Go get him.
Speaker 2: Thanks, I appreciate takes care you too, you as well enjoy Yeah, he's got to get in there because they're about to fire this thing up to Yeah, just so many questions with us, like all right, Fountain Square, how did that work? Well, we don't know, we have the data, so now we're gonna do it on short vine. Like I legitimately know how people in my family, my nephew was looking at U see and was concerned about the crime. So he was somewhere else you wonder if this kind of behavior continues to keep up, how many people, how attractive the University of Cincinnati becomes, because I know, you know, I think it's like top five, top ten when it comes to dangerous campuses. That's not a good look for the city of Cincinnati. And you know when you get these videos of gunfire on short vine and people getting jacked over pizza and break ins, and you know, and again it's does that happen in urban campuses? Absolutely, that's part of it. But you know, this is Cincinnati, we live here, and universites, you see, is a great institution. I think these students and certainly those parents who send their kids there from wherever it might be, even here in Cincinnati and beyond, deserve better than that. And you know, we need to take that seriously. And that's not just CPD University of Cincinnati police as well and our courts. We'll get a news update in and when a return. It's duly on the job career Wednesday. Here on the Scott Sloan Show seven hundred WLW, Julie Balki getting some well deserved time off. She's on a boat somewhere son in her cheeks so today we're going to talk about scams and looking for jobs. Something like over nine to ten gen zers and millennials are actively looking for a job. Francisco Javier Toben is from LinkedIn and that site, of course, like the Facebook of jobs if you will, scams are prevalent. We're going to talk about this morning. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 8: How are you hi, Good morning, Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so there been on scams have been around since, you know, since the dawn of times and certainly before the dawn of the Internet. We are seeing more some sophisticated ones now. The one I've heard that that's pretty common is, you know, you'll you'll put your you know, be looking for a job somewhere online and maybe respond to something and it's a fishing scam, and that person, oh yeah, you're just the right person with the job, and give you all sorts of hope, because sometimes job seekers are pretty desperate if the job search goes on for a long time, and so they get their trust and they have them doing things. The next thing you don't involve, I don't know, sending them Apple gift cards or something like that. You know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 8: Absolutely absolutely. I think scams are you know, they've been around forever, and scammers are continuously evolving, becoming more sophisticated. They're they're using new technology, infusing it into their tactics and their ways and their strategies. So even and like you said, you know, job seekers need to be even extra vigilant, especially given that we have a more competitive job market. We're just seeing one opening for every two applicants on LinkedIn.
Speaker 4: So this is a big shift.
Speaker 8: From twenty twenty one, in twenty twenty two, when we saw two jobs open for every applicant. So, but that said, we know scammers are increasingly looking to take advantage of these job seekers and why that's why it's even more important to be aware and that LinkedIn Uh, this is a top priority for us. We're investing into the tools, into the systems, and in the teachers to be able to support authentic experiences so that job speakers can feel great, uh, feel confident to move forward, uh and in their jobs seeking experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you're not familiar me, it seems like everyone's on LinkedIn, not just you know, job minded career minded folks, but everybody almost have to have a LinkedIn profile these days, even if you're not looking for a job, just to have one, just to have a profile up there, and it's the social media job search. Of course, most people think about job boards, and there's a lot of them out there too, But there's one thing in common, and that are the fraudulent job opportunities out there. So give me some red flags to look out for, Francisco. Relative to that, what are some of the warning signs?
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, there are some a few red sizes that professionals should keep in mind when they're searching for their next role. Well, first things first, we want to we want to make sure that job speakers trust their instinct. If something feels off, this sounds too good to be true, it likely is. Be mindful of hirers asking for payment. So when somebody asks for money or for payment up front, your eyebrows up. You should never give out your credit card private information because your social security number, banking information, et cetera. Also, be wary of roles that move you very quickly through the interview process. So if you get a job offer after just one remote interview, it's rarely legitimate. Normally, you have several rounds of interviews with the recruiter. Then you'll speak to the man, the hiring manager, and then in many cases you'll get a third round in this interview where you speak to many different stakeholders so that you can get the green lights. Other red flags, bad grammar spelling, bad punctuation. It's usually indicative of a fraudulent ex sense or if somebody or recruiter looks to move the conversation off to another platform, which is usually indicative also of somebody looking to scam you. So if you encounter members of people that encounter anything that feels off on our platform, we want to make sure that they report it to us directly so they can click at the top right of the job or the message and other stuff that we can investigate and take action.
Speaker 2: You know, if I get an email phishing attempt and hear at iHeart my god. We spend a lot of time making sure everyone knows what to look for, what the warning signs are having to be fooled and tricked. And we have people catfishing us in the company, sending us fake emails to see if we click out and go aha. So you shouldn't be clicking on this stuff. So we just delete everything that's we're coming at it. So, but if I'm looking for a job now and you're telling me, and I think that maybe we bury the leader a little bit, Francisco. Is that you're saying, just a year ago or so, you know, we had two openings for every worker. Now it's foot flopped, it's got advantages back to in the game of career tennis. The advantage is now back to the employer. So you're saying, they're two job seekers for every job opportunity now, and so we're back to the way it's been for most of my life. If you are unemployed, let's say you lose your job or search job after a period of time, after three, four or five six months, you start getting desperate, and desperation is just right for being taken advantage of it. And I think that's the key difference when you talk about fishers and scammers and spear fishers and the like out in the real world on your phone with texts or phone calls or DMS or certainly emails, different than what you're actively looking for a job, because now you want something and you want to hope that somebody thinks you're valuable and therefore kind of like a you know, a love triangle or a bad relationship. That way, it's setting up for you to become a victim when it comes to looking for a job. That's a I think the psychological side of it.
Speaker 8: Now, let me tell you broke that down absolutely perfectly. It's it's it's a wild wild west out there.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 8: With increasing use of the Internet, new platforms and schools, like I said that new new technologies is like generative AI. You know, this is going to keep going, and scammers are not going to stop. They're going to continue to evolve. They're going to continue to find clever ways to trick people. So that's why we need to when we when we encounter something that feels off, just take just take a moment and pause, right, you know, pause and think. Sometimes we were very eager to move forward in the process, but you know, just giving the new realities that we're seeing and the data that we're seeing, is it's just important to be a little slower, be a little minafle, and and trust your instincts.
Speaker 2: As I said, yeah, I think also it's probably important to maybe have someone or a friend circle, a colleague circle, your network something like somebody you could take and go, hey, look, kick the tires on this for me? Am I crazy? Am I not seeing? Because sometimes you get into the you know, you're inside the aquarium and you can't see so good. You need somebody from the outside to go, hey, man, that looks like a scam to me, A better be careful and maybe you need somebody in the outside for wakel well, whether it's a spouse or a relative or someone along my line.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely lean on your network, being on the people that you know, that that care about you, that that that want to see you succeed. I think these people are gonna give you an honest feedback, you know, and maybe let you know, hey, this feels off. So I always say, you know, go for a second opinion, go for a third opinion. It's going to help you ground yourself right. And if and if it still feels off, you know you can. You can also do a Google search to see what type of trends, what type of skins are happening mm hm. More often not many of these scams are reported through the Better Business Bureau. There's information and warnings out there that go a little bit deeper into what these scams are and in the different taxic tactics they use. So there's information out there. Lean on the people that you know, and lean on the information on the Internet as well.
Speaker 2: Francisco Javier Tobaan is a career expert at LinkedIn and LinkedIn is the well the social media of job recruiters and searchers and the like. That's where you go. Make sure you have a presence on LinkedIn if you're looking for a job or you're in the you know, you're in your working years and that's important to have that. But new survey comes out eighty five percent of workers here in the United States are thinking about changing jobs this year. That's a twenty seven percent increase from the previous year. And that number is nine and ten among gen zers, which is damn you're close to almost all of them looking for a job this year, and millennials too is pretty high above nine and ten. And with that comes scammers. Because we're starting to see the number of jobs dwindle. We're also seeing the number of employees go Okay, now it's I'm not I don't have my pick of the litter anymore, and it's now starting to become more like we've seen in previous years where you have more people looking for jobs and actual jobs out there, So that then comes with desperation and looking for a job and trying to dance yourself, and that means you're setting yourself up a scam possibly. But the whole thing with generative AI, as you mentioned Francisco, that's absolutely frightening right there and what we've seen just so far in its infancy. What are you prepared for in the future here? As you sure you guys are looking months or years ahead. So where you think generative AI is going on, how it's going to affect the job market and job seekers and that dance. But specifically when it comes to scammers, what do you think is going to happen?
Speaker 8: Yeah, well, we're using generative AI to infuse it into our products to make our members more productive and successful in their job experience. But we're also using generative AI in different new technologies to evolve our AI defenses so that we can better detect fraudulent attempts. We can better detect seak accounts that bad actors are using in order to attack or seek out vulnerable job seekers. So this is something that we're constantly looking to infuse into our defenses as we know it's going to be help us be more effective along the way. Another way that we're using technology is through verification. So we offer free verification to all US to most US members if they qualify. It's a free service. Members can easily go on LinkedIn, dot com, slash verify, verify their own account. But as their job searching, they can look out for the great shield next to a person's name. That means that person has verified at least one element of their profile to be their identity, to be their workplace verification. Or if they see a job with a shield, it means that job has been verified, that recruiter has been verified.
Speaker 2: Oh cool.
Speaker 8: So it's an extra people of confidence so that people can move forward with ease and they can go forward with their job searching experience with confidence as well.
Speaker 2: Exactly imagine most people don't have the time to research whether or not a company and that represent as legitimate. I'm sure the scammers are pretty smart about that that they'll steal the identity of a company and attach themselves to it and make it look like an internal email or whatever it is, when when not actually doing that and so those are some of the warning signs. What are the real quick here, because I know we've got to get going. Most popular scams you're seeing today when it comes to job searches.
Speaker 8: Yeah, of course, aside from like financial requests, we're also seeing cryptocurrency scams where scammers ask them to down those specific types of software. As you also hint it hinted out. We've also seen gift cards, gift card requests or receep alone a prize or different types of winnings. But most indicative and specifically on LinkedIn. Romantic messages or gestures with which are inappropriate, they're not allowed on LinkedIn. So normally many of these scammers, they use bots as well, automated generative AI bots that use to uh to to charm potential victims over a long period of time. They call these pig butchering scams where they gain trust so for months and months, and then sooner or later, you know they have enough trust equity with that person for these to be able to hand over the keys to a cryptocurrency account, et cetera. So you know it's something as I said, you know, most of most of the time these things can be prevented and we're doing the job in the work in order to be able to surface more of these authenticity signals to our members so that they can make educated decisions as they navigate their job search experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think by now the whole gift card scam that people would go man when they start asking for an iTunes gift card, it's I'm looking for a job. Why am I giving you something. I'm the one who needs the job. I want to be hired, and you give me money. I shouldn't be giving you anything in that regarding you have. People do it all the time. It's the damnedest thing.
Speaker 8: It's so funny. And they also want one other thing. And I want to make sure to call this out. Sometimes they send you a check like a check. Pay here's a right send new money, so buy that and then that check founts back. We want to make sure that you know, and you're going to be in charge of you're going to be in debt with the bank to pay that to pay that back. So I'd just be very mindful of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you see, it's it's and there are a lot of smart people that get pulled in by this trap. Believe it or not, so just start to look out for again. Francisco Javier toob On with LinkedIn, Thanks so much for the info.
Speaker 4: Appreciate it absolutely.
Speaker 8: Thanks thanks for having me. Have a great day.
Speaker 2: News on the way in just a couple of minutes on seven hundred W Dow Scott Sloan show, of course the very Latest and What's happening in the world today earlier If you missed it, it'll be in the podcast following the show at noon today via the iHeart Radio app. And that was Ohio Senator Steve Huffman on the show. I'm sure you heard this news today if you enjoy those THHD infused beverages. Remember we had that big battle over intoxicating hemp laws and what wound up happening was we had a ninety day stay by the Governor of band and we'll allegedly we're going to be able to sell this stuff. And we had companies like fifty West on the show talking about how much money they're going to lose because the craft beer movement is kind of fading. While it's fading bad, but THHC infused products are taking its place. People like the buzz better than they do alcohol. They don't feel as bad the next day after drinking a few of these, and the end result is it seems to work pretty well. Of course, there was a little poll with Hempen there and a whole bunch of the thing in long story short as any way, it was the THC adult beverage ban that was good, and then the ninety day ban that was back on again with a court order, new legislation company fix the issue great In today we find out, according to Steve Hoffman, that the lawmakers Mitch McConnell and Ran Paul are fighting over this in the Senate. And I thought the government was closed, but apparently they can get together and discuss things that screw up our lives. And now we may be back to square one on this whole thing, because the government may come in and Mitch McColl's going, you know, this stuff could be bad for kids. We've got to ban it, just like Mike DeWine said, that precipitated our legislation. Unfortunately, as you know, federal law overrides day law. And if the Feds ban that the THHC infused drink products, that kills literally a thirty billion dollar industry and growing in Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana. A great discussion with him at nine oh six this morning. Again catch on the podcast following the show. Just ahead, speaking of Supreme Court related stuff, there's a battle brewing over Trump's tariffs, namely and his solicitor generally even admitted this and saying that, well, a tariff is kind of like a tax. The only problem with that is, according to the Constitution, only Congress can lovey taxes. No other branch of government executive, judicial, can do that. So what happens to the tariffs? And some Supreme Court watchers believe that indications are there that they may actually strike the tariffs down sometime soon. What does this mean? I've got a guy and to talk about that. I got a guy for that. He'll explain it, why it makes sense to you and also what the bottom line is for you. Coming up next on the show after news on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage seven hundred WW since now.
Speaker 1: Want to American, He's got.
Speaker 2: Flown on seven hundred W and l will be many things happening. The Supreme Court has been busy. They're hearing arguments on the constitutionality President Trump's tariffs, and the early indication at least is a few days ago, it seems to be in jeopardy the tariffs. So some of the conservative justice even seem skeptical that Trump has the power to impose these far reaching tariffs and a ruling could certainly hurt, if not kill, his signature second term priority on that with analysis is the director of Constitutional Studies at the Manhattan Institute, Elias Shapiro. Welcome, good morning, Good morning, Scott.
Speaker 9: Yeah, not quite sure what theory they're going to rest on, but a majority of the justicees definitely seemed skeptical that at least under this particular statute, which has never been used for tariffs, that the president could do what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bottom line here, So we saw that at least two of the likely swing by the Conservatives, it'd be John Roberts and Justice Barrick Camy Comme. Barrett indicated that maybe they're not inclined to see Trump's side of this thing. Roberts quote was, the vehicle is in position of taxes on Americans, and that's always been the core power of Congress. Even one of Trump's attorney's admit, I believe it was attorney admitted that this was a tax the fact of text. Does this undermine the whole thing?
Speaker 9: Yeah, the Congress cannot delegate its power to tax, and presumably that includes the power to tariff, although other statutes that are more narrower have not been challenged in the past, and presidents going back, you know, decades.
Speaker 4: Have used it.
Speaker 9: In fact, the Treasury Secretary Scott Bessett later said, well, the Supreme.
Speaker 4: Court and validate this.
Speaker 9: We have other ways of accomplishing pretty much the same thing, and that is more.
Speaker 4: Or less correct.
Speaker 9: If the tariffs are more targeted, you know, China for national security reasons, other countries for retaliation, or whatever the case might be.
Speaker 4: There are ways of running.
Speaker 9: A tariff re dream through the Executive Office, but probably not this particular statute.
Speaker 2: The Solicitor General Souer read a letter from James Madison that it felt like, as I mentioned, undermined their argument in saying that, well, a tariff is attacks. Has that been overblown that quote or is that something that is going to weigh in the minds of the justices.
Speaker 9: Well, it's all part of the same puzzle. So the first level analysis is the text of this statutet the International Economic Emergency Prevention Act ii EPA as it's called, and which lists a whole bunch of things that the president can do in an emergency block embargo, do various, but the tax is not listed. And so lawyers, there's a tool of interpretation that says, if you have a big long list and what you want to do is not included, well that's a pretty good indication that that there's no authority for that particular thing. So that's especially what Justice Barrett was skeptical about. And then beyond that is this constitutional delegation of taxing authority that we just discussed that for example, Justice Gorsich was particularly skeptical about, and Chief Justice Roberts he just thought of as as you just mentioned, this is a major question of economic significance, and unless Congress speaks explicitly, he's going to be doubtful that the executive can just assume that power.
Speaker 2: Ellie Shapiro Manhattan instued one of the legal framework questions you're going to hear thrown around during this decision. It's a big one too, because this is a lovely cornerstone of his second administration, the tariffs, and I's struck down by the Court that's certainly going to have implications to the markets and everything else. It's called the Major Questions Doctrine, which I understand is a relatively new piece of judicial framework. Can you explain what it is and how they developed it and whyde applies here?
Speaker 9: Apparently I got way ahead of you, because that's what I was describing that that you know, that's I was trying to kind of break it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Developed.
Speaker 9: This is especially the developed in the last decade or so. When there's a question of of major political social economics significance, unless Congress has specified it, they're not going to defer to the executive branch about that. At Chief Justice Roberts, the middle of the court, Roberts Barrett Cavanaugh are especially concerned about that, although in this case Cavanaugh, who's thought as a median vote, seemed to be more towards the government side, more deferential to executive power.
Speaker 2: Okay, got it. This sounds like jeopardy there. The answer was a question Ellie Sapiro at Manhattan Institute on the show this Morning on seven hundred WLW is it tough to read the tea leaves? And saying, well, you know, Justice Amy Coney Barrett said this, and Justice John Roberts said this, And you go and you start to how often does that turned out to be true? Because their job is to ask probing questions. Is it presumptuous to kind of read into that like we're doing right now?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, my prediction is worth what you're paying for it. And you know, I have a quote unquote expertise.
Speaker 4: I followed the court. I filed briefs myself.
Speaker 9: I have written a book about the Supreme Court, Supreme disorder, about judicial nomination and the politics thereof you do your best and the justices in the end can surprise. Oral argument is the tip of the iceberg. It's it's what we see. But uh, you know, the briefs are important, and the justices discussions and the drafts of the opinions going back and forth. So nobody's ever going to give you one hundred percent certainty.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: It wasn't long ago that the Court struck down Biden's student loan forgiveness, And does that factor into this is a shadow the upcoming decision?
Speaker 4: I think it does.
Speaker 9: I think it does, And a lot of commentators have compared it to that and other ways in which the court has gone against the executive brands the last couple of presidencies.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, they're they're deferential to a point.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 9: And you know that's why the Solsier General, the government's lawyer, kept pressing about that this is a foreign policy issue because the president typically gets more difference from courts on foreign policy national security.
Speaker 4: But there's this important statute involved.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 4: And you know, just like Biden's.
Speaker 9: Reading, his administration's reading of the relevant statute for student loans or for the vaccine mandate for private employers. The court said that that was stretching the statute, reading into it things that weren't there. It seems to be that's where they're going here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we mentioned the Slicitor General tried to distinguish the terrorists and taxes, but you know, the economists and apparently several justices see them as is the same thing. And how does that how does that work with this court and constitutional interpretation and also looking at well economic reality because the market's obviously watching this very very closely.
Speaker 9: The I mean, the president himself sort of undermines his own case because he brags about all the revenue that's being brought in by the tariffs, and the legal definition of a tax is a a legislative action that that raises revenue. So, uh, you know, I'm even less of a good predictor of the markets. Otherwise I'd be something other than a prostitutional lawyer. Right, But it seems like large employers have already large large manufacturers, producers, companies have already priced in the cost of the tariffs and passed them along to consumers. That's why these cases have been brought by small businesses. And so how the markets will react, I don't know. Is all of this already priced in. Will getting rid of the tariff, the uncertainty over that, will that harm the markets versus not having this extra tax to liberate the attax liberate the markets.
Speaker 4: That's not clear. Plus there's the remedial points.
Speaker 9: So it's not just that the Supreme Court rules the tariff is invalid and all of a sudden everybody instantly gets a refund. There's a whole big question of how you would you reverse that. Does each company that's paid a tariff have to make a new claim? Do the lower courts have power? And almost certainly the Supreme Court is not going to enter a remedial order. They're going to leave that remand that back to the lower court to figure out.
Speaker 2: Well, even bigger than that, do justices look at the after effects of the decision in that you know, the businesses have already paid these tariffs, What does that what's the refrunt process look like? Or do we keep their money or do they get to the nuances of that or they just rule on this decision and let everyone else sort that out after.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's a it's a it's a separate issue. There's the issue of remedies and there are you know, the government when when it was asking for a stay of the lower court rule and blocking the tariffs, said oh, well, if we turn out to be wrong, we can always refund the money.
Speaker 4: So they kind of hurt.
Speaker 9: Their own long term interest by by arguing that in the in the short term and theory, in this digital age, everyone has records of who paid what, and you should be able to if there's a court order to for all the customs inspectors and whatnot to just reverse the charge and you know, make the make the wire go in the other direction that that should be done. I mean, it might be more complicated than certain other things, but it's not an impossible task.
Speaker 2: Hilly Shapiro, Manhattan Institute. The Supreme Court weighing Trump's tariffs right now, and it is. It's hanging in the balance.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The early indication seemed that at least a couple of more conservative members of the panel are leaning towards knocking this thing down. But we'll see again as they contemplate this. And there's also the precedent here too. If the court rules against Trump, what does that mean for future presidents or parties or who want to use that executive authority on economic policies.
Speaker 9: That question came up that if we allow this, would a future president be able to declare an international emergency for climate change and therefore tax car companies and other you know, manufacturers that contribute to climate change. And the Solcier General said potentially yes. So I don't think that's going to sit very well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see how it plays out here too. It's certainly interesting. And the timeline on this, because we never know when they're going to make a ruling on this. How long could this go?
Speaker 4: Well, they could.
Speaker 9: Have a decision by Christmas. It shouldn't take long to figure out if they want to get it out quick. But there's another case that's going to be argued next month on the president's power to remove the heads of independent agencies the National Labor Relations Board, the Federal Trade Commission, other alphabet agencies as they're called. And it looks like that case is going to go for the president for the administration, So they might want to pair those two if they're going to invalidate the if they're going to block the tariff, they might want to pair it with that, And so you have one win, one loss for the administration, in which case it would spill into January February.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems like they were I mean in the first three here is that they're uncomfortable with giving him carte blanche to apply tariffs whenever he wants. It seems like they pull that back someone at the very least.
Speaker 9: Again, that's the conventional wisdom as we've been discussing, and there are I think polymarket or there's some way you can bet on court opinions it might be off or or something like that. So you know, that's not not a bad way of checking what the wisdom of clouds might be.
Speaker 4: But uh, you know, there just like.
Speaker 9: In the NFL. The reason you know, any given Sunday, anything can happen. And so that's why the reason we play these games is you know, they could they could take it in a completely different.
Speaker 2: Direction, all due respect, but you know, we we often defer to the pundit class, like for example, Trump is going to you know, ext remember, is going to strike down gay marriage, and of course they went, now, we're not, We're not doing that, and was at a pleasant surprise, Not really, it wasn't a surprise at all that that would that would be almost impossible to onto us side of your scope of what we're talking about here. But I think that applies to some degree as well. They're not going to go there. You know, the idea that somehow they're just going to do everything Trump wants to do is it's rather silly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's absolutely right.
Speaker 9: And and there's all these media narratives gended up that this is Trump's court and that's just not true. What they've been ruling is to allow the the president to reorganize the executive branch.
Speaker 4: He's the head of the executive branch, he controls it.
Speaker 9: When he steps over into violating individual rights or stepping into legislative territory. That's when the administration has taken its losses and they've been strategic about which case is to bring up to the Supreme Court, which is why they have a very high win rate thus far in the first ten months of the second Trump administration.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll be interesting. We're all following this case because this is the cornerstone of a second administration, is the tariffs. And as we said, it's going to take a long time. But if the court strikes us down, it also gives him cover, I think too, politically speaking, if the Supreme Court tries to pull back on his what he's trying to do here, he has now a little bit of cover and excuse going. Well, it would have worked if it wasn't for the damn meddling Supreme Court.
Speaker 4: Like scooby doo, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 9: And it also there's two economists are correct that the tariff has hurt our economy, hurt consumers. Then you know, then the markets will be up, things will be better economically, while he still gets to to rail against these enemies and to help them politically. So even if he might not like it, it might be beneficial, especially ahead of the terms.
Speaker 2: Director of Concertial Studies and Senior failty in Manhattan Institute, Ilia Shapiro on this great analysis. I appreciate it. Have a wonderful day, my pleasure, Scott. Yeah, you wonder if Republicans and this would be the leadership in the House and the Senate and maybe to some degree of those around Trump, maybe not Trump himself, but are kind of hoping for the Supreme Court to step in and kind of curb the tear if things some water, strike them down, simply because it gives you cover. Now saying, guy, you know we could have done this, I would have been well, it was all working up until the Supreme Court got involved, and now they screwed it back up. And it's the deep state, and this is why you've got to vote for well, name your next candidate. But you know Trump has been claiming we get these emails every day from the White House about you know, policies and saying when Trump is saying every price is down, everything is way down, down down, and prices are down down down. Everyone knows that it's less expensive than it was under Joe Biden. Not true, because you know, you can tell people that and put it on true social and claim it to be. But you know, the bottom line is, unlike other policies, we don't see and feel directly. You know, when you go to the grocery store and you see the price of beef, and you see that the consumer price index is up from where it's been. There's been inflation in every month of the term, and of products have gotten cost or costs more instead of getting cheaper. And you know what inflation is, it's still a sticky three percent. But yeah, I don't think we all feel it too. Gas of the pump is not near two dollars a gallon. It's the well above two dollars a gallon, at least the last time I got it. And while it's certainly not you know, three four five dollars a gallon, certainly everything feels like it costs more. It's not just beef, it's dozens of products have gotten way more expensive. And when he says groceries are down, other than beef, everything's down, down, down. We've had much lower prices like he can wish it. I don't think he's in the grocery store like like we always got out there doing his shopping like President Bush forty one no idea what a cost of a gall of milk cost? Trump does either. But you can keep talking about how the prices are done. But if that were true, even if you're the most diehard MAGA person saying that you're I'm the part of the media lives or whatever, Hey, great, have at it. But I know when I grow the grocery stort craps more expensive, and it is for you too. But even that test is okay. If the prices are down as he's climbing, why does he want to give all of us a two thousand dollars check? If the prices are down, you don't need a two thousand dollars check. That seems like to be the easiest, most basic test for all of us. Now, you may be a huge Trump fan and flying the flag and all that, know, your freak flag and all that stuff. Hey have at it, But you know, I think you can even admits like, yeah, this is not working out as expected. It's going to take a lot longer to see the effects of tariffs. And if the Supreme Court strikes it down, then I think that gives a mample cover. For sure, we'll get a news update in check the traffic, weather and all that going on in the world, and then want a return. Sarah's here a little sports laughing through her nose. It's the Snort Report aka Snorts of all sorts of share release, the bank and Joe Burrow at a crossroads here will he play or won't he?
Speaker 1: When?
Speaker 2: Will he play? Should he play? Should he not play? What the hell is going on down there? She's next on the show. It's a Snort Report with Sarah Lease on the Home of the Best Bengals coverage, seven hundred w st face.
Speaker 10: Good morning, I am happy today?
Speaker 2: Is that I'm a snort? That the cracking of Burrow's toe? That just you?
Speaker 10: Did you listen to that pressor on Monday?
Speaker 2: Sarah's Snort Report? Hi, good morning, what's going on, sporty?
Speaker 10: I'm feeling optimistic, Not because the Bengals got a new defense.
Speaker 1: I just like.
Speaker 2: In the bye week we got hold.
Speaker 10: Yeah, we got a whole new defense.
Speaker 2: I went under Jeff Wiler.
Speaker 10: And the things that money can buy.
Speaker 2: So it's too you're such a dead god.
Speaker 10: But I do like how I do like how tough of a guy that Joe Burrow is. He wasn't supposed to be back until like mid December. I was shocked. It was like seeing somebody come back from the dead. I'm like, who's this guy? You know that nobody was expecting him to walk through those doors on Monday afternoon and shock the world.
Speaker 2: All I know is I had a complete tendon rupture in my foot, and I'm thirty years older and I went out there playing football eight I was back in five.
Speaker 10: Oh way. You don't do anything physical like Joe Burrow, I am, what a throwing.
Speaker 2: A footballing up the worst, climbing up ladders?
Speaker 10: Yeah, but are you getting knocked down like Joe?
Speaker 2: I am? You got to turn the circuit off, you know.
Speaker 10: But on Monday, during that press conference, he had talked more about his injury. The Bengals media had asked about that day. I'm like, why are we going back to that day? But yeah, week two, he goes, look my toe gout. Listen to us. He said, my toe got stuck in the turf and then it got bent way too far back.
Speaker 2: You well, what do you think is going to happen?
Speaker 10: That's turf though, I know, I know, but just hearing and talking about it and then really thinking about it. I was there in the end zone at that game and I watched him get, you know, picked up by the two dudes. Right, I'm like, okay, yeah, that's pretty bad.
Speaker 2: Your whole foot laying like that.
Speaker 10: Yes, it's such a small body part, but such a big pain. Correct, But it is incredible that not even sixty days later, he's able to come back to practice. Granted it's limited, He's not going to be starting this weekend. Coach Taylor did confirm that. But in your opinion, I.
Speaker 2: Know, I think you are you going to go to the playoffs. This season is a playoffield is not a.
Speaker 10: Playoff team, This is not a play off defense.
Speaker 2: Why would you risk? I know, well, people buy tickets and the bus to look if you're serious about winning much I don't know they talk about it, but are you that serious about winning a championship?
Speaker 10: The offensive?
Speaker 2: How do you protect? You know, you got to protect your your franchise quarterback. You build around him. The defense is way too bad.
Speaker 10: To his butt. They've been doing just fine with Joff Laco. Do you think that even if Joe Burrow, because it's just a rumor that he could potentially come back for that Thanksgiving primetime game in Baltimore against the Raven idea. You think it's bad.
Speaker 2: I think it's a bad idea.
Speaker 10: This is not a playoff team, So why bring your guide back? Now? Granted, I think Joe Burrow has a lot of power over the that's the problem over the front office.
Speaker 2: Is there anyone there that has the stones to tell Joe Burrow now?
Speaker 10: I don't think so. I think he's the most powerful person with this organization. And that's going to look really sexy too. You got Joe Burrow versus Lamar Jackson. Two guys have been banged up pretty much the entirety of the season, right, and that looks really good on Thanksgiving nights?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I could see a slam dunk game something like that. You come back, but what's the rush at this point?
Speaker 10: But do you need to get the revenge right now? Like, just give it the rest.
Speaker 2: Of this doing the off season at this point or give him a couple now? Again, We'll see what happens with this thing. I just I think it's well. The other issue too, is Trey Hendrickson too?
Speaker 10: Is Trey Hendrickson? I guess According to U Zach Taylor, he's likely not going to play this weekend. Mike Tomlin with the Steelers, he said, well, we're going to prepare like Trey Hendrickson as playing, so I guess it's not definite that he's not. But I mean, hey, the last time they played the Steelers, they didn't have Trey Hendrickson and they were able to beat them. So what are the chances of them getting it done again this weekend?
Speaker 2: No, I think you have a better sample size with Flacco and what he's doing. For Tomlin, but he don't trust the Steelers either. It's I don't know.
Speaker 10: They looked pretty bad over the week.
Speaker 2: They really really did.
Speaker 10: They didn't look like the first place Steelers that we've seen for the past few weeks.
Speaker 2: Soly nine wins gets it done in the division. But do the Bengals have nine wins in I think it's legitimate, even with Burrow in there.
Speaker 10: Yeah, going into this weekend after the bye, they're at three and six, and if they can beat the Steelers, they'll be three and zero in the division and they still have a chance to win the AFC North. There are still eight games left in the season, plenty of opportunities now, granted, I want to stay optimistic, but the schedule is a little tough. But hey, you can go and beat the Steelers, and then you got the Patriots at home. And then this is where I get a little nervous. You got that primetime game against the Ravens. You got to play the Bills, you got to come back and play the Ravens. I don't know, It's all up in the air, and I think every weekend this team continues to surprise me. You just really never know what you're gonna get. You really don't.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 10: Like you look at the wins that they've gotten, like, okay, they've I'm sorry, they've gotten the losses with you know, scoring thirty three points, thirty eight points, forty one points, you would think, oh, those are clearly winning points right there.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 10: It just goes to show you how important a really great defense is. And they didn't do anything. They didn't do anything with the defense.
Speaker 2: You think they tag Hendrickson and probably see I'm going Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 10: I'm tired of the Trey Hendrickson drama. I'm so tired of it. Thirty one he SAIDs more than he plays too. I'm just sick of it. It's like, Okay, he's a really nice guy. That's great.
Speaker 2: He's not helping any nice guys the Bengals need. We've had like a litany of nice guys. John Kittings such a nice guy. He rings you got with John Kittens always.
Speaker 10: The nice guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 10: We're seeing some of these guys get pissed off too. I mean, after that loss last weekend, before the bye, you know, Jamar Chase is like, come on, man, I just want to stop. Let's go get fired up. I want to see a fired up Zach Taylor.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I I had no idea what to expect on Sunday. I really don't. It's a coin.
Speaker 10: Toss, no idea. My dad texts me the other day, he goes, what do you think is gonna happen on Sunday?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 10: I don't no clue. He's like, you have a score prediction? Nope, sure don't.
Speaker 2: Couldn't tell you, Nope, couldn't tell you what. No team shows up, what defense shows about that.
Speaker 10: They could score fifty five points, fifty six fifty five. It's a little bit different feels again, I really really want to be optimistic. I feel like if they can go and beat the Steelers this weekend, they really can do it. This would turn things around.
Speaker 2: Don't you think that would make Joe's to feel a lot better.
Speaker 10: Joe's like, hmmmm, well, And it's really interesting to hear Joe Burrow talk about Joe Flacco and kind of learning from this guy. I mean, he's been in the locker room, he's been at the practices, he's been at the meetings, and he goes. I'm really entertained by Joe Flacco. I like watching him play. I'm learning a lot from him. He's a really nice guy and knows this stuff. So Joe's got a lot of respect for Joe. I got two good jos that we're working with here.
Speaker 4: Good.
Speaker 10: I think he's your backup too, Jo, Joe Burrow is, yes, And I think Joe Flacco is a really good fit with this town too. He's out in the city like, he's mingling with people. He's really likable.
Speaker 2: I don't care if you're I don't care if you're Aaron Rodgers. As long as you're winning football games. I don't care if you're a nice guy.
Speaker 10: What I love most about him is that he connecting with Jamar and he's connecting with Tea and he's getting stuff done. He's getting stuff done for the offense.
Speaker 2: The defense, that's.
Speaker 10: Your issue, and it's the same defense every year.
Speaker 2: Just rest show. There's no reason to bring Burrow back into this mess.
Speaker 10: I I just have a feeling he's hard headed and he's gonna want to get out there on Thanksgiving night and get the revenge because we know what happened the last time that he.
Speaker 2: Was in Well, I want to see who runs the team. At some point, you gotta go, look, guess, is this not in anyone's best interest to jeopardize that?
Speaker 10: And you're probably if you're the Bengals, what happened to Washington? If you're yeah, And if you're the Bengals, you're sitting there like, look, we're paying you half a billion dollars. Why don't you just take it easy and let Joe Flacco take us one.
Speaker 2: Lu's see till we get some Yeah, what else you got? But we got?
Speaker 10: Yeah? The next few weeks will be obviously very very telling. Let's see what else do we have. I don't know they're going to get back to practice today. They'll be on the road on Saturday. Let's switch to Reds. Just one hundred and thirty four days until Red's opening.
Speaker 2: Cotten a Tonner Reds open. How about Tito second place?
Speaker 4: For Man?
Speaker 10: That's ridiculous, stupid Brewers. I think it's fixed. You should have gotten the first place.
Speaker 2: I mean, when's the last time that has been Brea considered for Cincinnati Reds fans?
Speaker 10: Ever, I don't think that's ever happened. Actually, I'm a Tito stan I love this dude.
Speaker 2: Doesn't mean I mean he got the most out of this team you could get.
Speaker 10: He still got into the playoffs. He said, look, you got a sample of the champagne. Think of that moment, think of that feeling. Taste the champagne again, and let's go a lot further with it.
Speaker 2: Well, and it's a lot on that front. That's a lot of Nikkral more than there's anybody else.
Speaker 10: Absolutely, it is lots of pressure there. What do you think about the rumors with trading Hunter Green? That's been like the biggest where these come from from beat writers got nothing better? They like the clicks.
Speaker 2: It's like the NFL network, right, NFL Network, What do you do after the Super Bowl? We have, we go to lists, we make a list immediately content and that's that's the game.
Speaker 10: And you know what's trending. And obviously Hunter Green not able to get it done in the playoffs and people are like, well, should we just trade him because he can't handle postseason baseball and he melts down on the mound.
Speaker 2: It was a very small sample to get one game, and I was like, damn against the Dodgers the World Series, champing brain surgery here.
Speaker 10: I'm still glad that the Dodgers got it done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wanted the Jason, but that's I know.
Speaker 10: But it's like, if you're gonna lose, you know, like I said, I'm a salty Reds fan. I'm like, hey, if you're gonna lose, it might as well be to the World Series.
Speaker 2: Chance say this, there's something good news coming is the fact that a Reds Fest is back.
Speaker 10: That's what I was just going to talk about. Is Reds Fest officially back at the brand new Are we calling it the Duke Energy? You can go you can still Duke Energy. Okay, this is going to be the first event happening at this big convention center, not in December though usually this is like a first weekend of December sort of thing, Friday January sixteenth and then Saturday January seventeenth, So they've got all the details on reds dot com slash Reds Fest took last year off, so that way, that way they could get this whole thing done and reconstructed. But yeah, I'm excited about this. I love this event.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's always fun to see, especially if the year off it's like a little and then new convention.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it kind of gets too excited. It's going to be the month before pitchers and catchers report, which music to my ears, I mean just a month out from that. Really once you're.
Speaker 2: Quickly looking for we just turned the clocks last weekend and now we're already looking forward to to turn it back to where they were.
Speaker 10: Dude, I've already started blanning my trip to Arizona. I'm like, let's go.
Speaker 2: The best time with your.
Speaker 10: Baseball season is absolutely the best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, rubber than Joe's toe at this point.
Speaker 10: Oh what, it's always a toe something that we should be really excited about. F C Cincinnati Hell is very real for the Columbus crew. That match on Saturday night was awesome. The last thirty minutes.
Speaker 2: The best act in town right now when it comes to playoff championship level. I mean, they shook the monkey after back was great, amazing. I've talked to Tommy G.
Speaker 10: You did a great His call was awesome. That's all over social media. That was trending, and I love that he adds those videos.
Speaker 2: The Spanish call good yeah, which is a thriller inside. Nah. But I mean, you know, if you're not into that stuff, at least maybe try to watch a playoff game somewhere. I think you kind of get into because at the pace of the game, it was incredible. It was a nail bite, it was a very exciting.
Speaker 10: It was so good. Lots of defense for that first half. But yeah, the last thirty minutes gave us everything that we needed. And hey, if you want to get like your sports, your since e sports Phil in one day. The next Bengals home game is going to be against the Patriots at one o'clock. Then you've got FC Cincinnati hosting Miami at five o'clock, and it's a blue out, so you're going to go from orange and black to blue. This could be a really great day for Cincinnati, and I want to believe that it's going to be awesome. I want to believe we can go to and O that day on the twenty third. All right, good, so yeah, lots of good stuff to look for.
Speaker 2: It's a great look for somebody get shot.
Speaker 10: Well, no, why would you say that. I wasn't even thinking about that. You are now, you know I go to these games. I'm like, that is the last thing that's on my mind. Worried about these guys scoring points, the defense doing their job. I don't want to defend myself from a bullet.
Speaker 2: Well, they try to downplay that too, a little bitter and some of the.
Speaker 10: Crimes, you're ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Also going on, like Willie because he's coming up in a few minutes. Heirs know. That's like Gona, It's like going to Venezuela.
Speaker 10: Also going on this weekend. On Friday night. On Friday Night, go downtown and support your Cincinnati Cyclones. Puck drop at seven thirty. It's military Appreciation night. So they're doing like a really cool camo hat giveaway. It's five to one, three nights. So you got five dollars craft drafts, one dollar popcorns, three dollar burgers. Well, they have to do it because that's the next home game that they have. They're out of town. They actually have a they had a road game today at ten thirty in the morning. It's like their kids field trip day.
Speaker 2: Oh, kids day, kids day.
Speaker 10: Yeah, on the road they do the kids field trip day here next Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I love that when they do like the little day game for the kids.
Speaker 10: It's pretty cool. It's fun. They got like fun activities up on the new uh scoreboard sound right right?
Speaker 2: And dollar beer's too, fith kids, So.
Speaker 10: It's good dollar everyone's having fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, good time. Sarah Lisa's snort reported things sports related. You're caught up in this a midweek she is on the kid Christial Mornings on one O two seven e b N.
Speaker 10: Of course, I think I got everything out.
Speaker 2: You got everything in there, Joe fcc jo.
Speaker 10: Cyclones one hundred and thirty four days still opening day.
Speaker 2: What a time you get cringey about toes that I noticed.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I don't like the tones.
Speaker 1: You do too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how much money you make that up for your only fans? I was, I was, she gets all these perverse.
Speaker 10: Picks right now.
Speaker 2: If you can give Lisa money.
Speaker 10: To actually need a bed, A picture how are you get turned on by that freak? I don't understand these feet freaks. Yeah, but for Joe's toe, we're very invested. Yeah, I don't want to look at it, but I'm still invested a topic. We need one hundred percent chot on the toe.
Speaker 2: Toe Burrow then asked hairy toeh, thanks again, appreciate it. Willie's on the way. Coming up next. Seven hundred W. Dow, Cincinnati,