Speaker 1: An exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. All right, we are in Philly for Game one of the NLDS. Mookie bets already loose after I got him in the right frame of mind my goofiness and skinny fat humor. Mookie, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciated of course.
Speaker 2: Brother, Always always going to come talk to you.
Speaker 1: I feel like the Dodgers are being overlooked to a certain extent. I mean, you guys have been playing well now for three weeks. Do you feel like you're playing your best baseball as a group at the right time.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't think any of us you are even really paying attention to it. I think for the most part, we're just being present in the moment, taking one pitch at a time, and just doing what we can to help to help the team win. I mean, we all love each other, we know what it takes to win, and we know that now is the time where we really got to come together.
Speaker 1: How fun is this for you? It feels like we've been waiting for this matchup between the Dodgers and Phillies for the last three years. It's final here You've played in East Coast environments before. It should be fun tonight.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's gonna be a lot of fun. It's you know, this is kind of what you dream dream of, you know when you're a kid and you you know you're you're making up the game, the game winner, in the in the in the backyard. You know, we're fortunate, we're blessed to be able to kind of live out, live out our dreams. And so being playing in a rough environment, you know it's gonna be we know it's gonna be tough. They're gonna be good, the fans are gonna bring it. But uh, that's what that's what makes it beautiful.
Speaker 1: Experience. You always hear that, whether it's the NBA playoffs, major League Baseball postseason, how much do you believe what you guys went through last year has helped you to get through this season?
Speaker 2: I think, uh, you know, anytime, anytime you have experience, that's always gonna be a positive thing, especially if you know how to use it. And I feel like with Doc and with the guys here, we all went through it together and you know, we had had a positive experience and in the postseason, and so we can use those positive, those positive things to kind of bind us together, especially this year going this year. I mean, we we hadn't really played well at all this year, so it's like we really really there's nothing that can really phase us at this point. I mean we there's not nothing we haven't been through already, and we know that from experience, how to get how to get out of it.
Speaker 1: Mooki your first spring training with the Dodgers, I remember we talked a lot about Kobe, the Mamba mentality, your connection to him at that point in time, and he always talked about the journey. It's not the destination, but the journey. Have you started to understand that more than ever this season, that your journey is going to be even sweeter when you get to that destination.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think that's exactly what it is. You just take the things that you learn along the way, and that's the beauty of it. It's like, you know, when you get to the end goal, it's kind of kind of sucks because it's over, right, because you kind of really really enjoy You gotta really really learn how to love going through the days of the dog days, the good days, the in between days. You have to learn how to make the in between days positive in some way, form or fashion. You got to learn from just everything. And so I think when you get in that mindset, you just want of learning or you know, every day pretty much. I mean, you go through the journey and once you get to the destination, it's all it's like, Oh, you didn't even realize you were there. You know, you're just kind of lost in the journey.
Speaker 1: I remember also being with you at a point in time in the season where it felt like you hit rock bottom in Tampa, but luckily America's DH was there. And also you told me about, you know, your wife Brianna, how much she helped you at that point in time, and it seemed like all of that came together at the right time for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah I did it, did I mean yeah, yeah? I really did hit like an all time low for myself and I just didn't really know where to go. And having them to help me through it was huge. But it also took some of me, you know, some of me personally, just kind of changing my mindset, changing but really changing what was important to me. I think that was the thing. And winning I know that was important to me, and being here and showing up every day for the boys is very important to me, and so if I can do those things, you know, at the rest of it was just gonna be what it was, you know, But showing up and things that really were important to me, achieving those it definitely helped me through this year.
Speaker 1: The thing for me that I love the most is obviously your success. But it feels like you're getting a little bit more hangtime these days when you round second base and salute your teammates. So I'm looking forward to that in Philly, for you to get that Jordan Kobe type of hangtime, because the happier you are, the higher you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well try and get this one. That'll be fun. We'll see how shakes out.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time, Mookie. Always great to see you smile and can't wait to see you on stage one day with that guitar. Thanks about is