Speaker 1: Well, good afternoon. It is New Year's Day, twenty twenty six. Yes, we have all survived. He had another trip around the sun. As we cruise into twenty twenty six, all things possible, canvas is blank. We painted any way we want for the next three hundred and would it be is it a leap year? I'll say three sixty five, But if it's three sixty six, there's your extra day to put on the finishing touch. Fact of the matter is, it is always great to begin a new year because you never know how the year is going to play out, and quite frankly, you have a lot of control over the way that year is going to play out. Now you might not have had a lot of control last night. No, last night was, as you well know, one of the biggest party nights of the year, although as I've gotten older it's been less and less of that. We had a nice night last night, Pat Knat, I went out to dinner, went to our favorite, one of our favorite restaurants, Carlo and Johnny. We just love that place. Service is impeccable, food is wonderful and for people that are that our that are our age and don't really want to go out and get crazy. You know, you have a nice early dinner and you come home, and that's what we did. We had a nice early dinner, came home, finished watching some series that we have been binge watching. Put on the Ohio State game at halftime and was totally shocked to find them down fourteen to nothing. Made a game of it in the second half. Knew Miami was good, but did not think that Miami was that good. But indeed Miami is the victor in Miami is the one playing on and we've got a game going on.
Speaker 2: Just about now.
Speaker 1: I think they've kicked off Oregon and Texas Tech. Everybody likes Texas Tech is their sleeper team. But that's the first game in the College Football Playoff today. Of course, four o'clock in a game you will hear here on seven hundred WLW. Alabama is at Indiana. Well not at Indiana, Alabama Indiana in the Rose Bowl. And then finally tonight you got Mississippi in Georgia, and by then the College Football Playoff will be down to a workable four as we cruise on a name and crown a new national champion, because it will not be Notre Dame, but right now the Capital City one Orange Bowl is in the first quarter, just kicked off Oregon and Texas Tech. Now you may not be ready for that because of what you did last night. Understanding that last night a lot of people might have imbibed too much and today they're taking it kind of slow. But you know, laying on the couch and watching football listening to seven hundred WYLW not a bad way to get over in New Year's hangover. But there are better ways that will make it quicker and less painful for you today. Gather around the radio, kids, We're about to get healed. Standing by is New York based Nicolet M Pace, nicolett M Pace, ms R D n C D E CBC, c DN c F.
Speaker 2: C s f A n D. That is what is at the end of her name. That's a lot of initials.
Speaker 1: I don't know what they mean, but we'll find out here just a second, because she's got some ways to make you feel better right now than the way you feel right now. Nicolette Pace, how are you on this glorious New Year's Day.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. I'm doing great. Is very well? Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, there's a lot of initials at the end of your name. I guess they're all for things that you do. R DN must be something to do with nursing, right, No.
Speaker 4: No, it's registered to dietician nutritionist. I'm actually been in five industries so well, almost a contractor will who and share your designer. I'm also on the bansket bargain. I've done a lot of things and.
Speaker 3: Something I just love everything.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's that's wonderful.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Thirty percent of American.
Speaker 1: Statistics tell us woke up this morning looking for greasy food or maybe some sort of tomato based rank, something that that would help them get back on their feet after what happened last night. For somebody, that is an absolute agony this morning. How can you help them?
Speaker 3: Well, there's a lot of different things.
Speaker 4: And what's changed over the years is there there a lot more reliance on preventing it in the first place, and you could supplement them even after while you have it, tackling the effects that the ethan weller alcohol actually does and this metabolism in the body, and they're behind them not to make what not to do and then at the next partying events and how to choose wisely so that you can minimize your hangover effects. But while you're at it, and if you're really really sick right now, there's one that uses me because it's called the science backed formula and it goes like x equals y vx plus two twenty gp plus A and B plus r K two plus sp x times. Now what does that mean. It translates the two slinders and bread, three ounces of the link protein, an avocado, some rocket on in other words, a rougle off you leaves of that, and ten slices of a sweet potato.
Speaker 3: That would give me a real kick.
Speaker 4: But the thing is that you the main thing that's closing to hangover is the dehdration effects that a car from the metabolts of the alcohol, and depending on what you drink, it could be really bad. And so electrolyte replacement and fluid replacement is a really priority. Something like Gatorade, pedialyte or a product on the market now called blowfish and it's actually us to get recognized. It's an effervescent tablet and put it in water and it kind of, you know, pizzes up aspirin and caffeine and it sounds like Alco slice to make.
Speaker 3: But cute name.
Speaker 2: What is it called.
Speaker 3: It's called blowfish wo fish.
Speaker 1: Well, I used to see those on the beach when I would walk the beach as a kid out there on the eastern shore. I would see you, I see blowfish walk up and they were If you ate one of them, you get really sick. So sorry, right now? What is what is alcohol consumption and just an inordinate amount of alcohol consumption?
Speaker 2: What does it do to your body?
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's dehydrates you number one, and in and of itself, it's a toxin. And the metabolism it relies on an enzyme called you know, assetical wide the hydrogenase, which actually helps break down the alcohol, but that occurs in the stummach later in the gut.
Speaker 3: It doesn't really react. Heince.
Speaker 4: There's a supplement out there now that you're supposed to take before you drink. Well, actually it's it's a it's a bio engineered product that will produce some the stuff that's ends on in your gut so you can continue the metabolizing it. It's quite expensive. It's not as it's recognized only in the terms of its recognized as a food.
Speaker 3: But are people are so concerned.
Speaker 4: About GMO corn. I don't understand why they were doing genetically modified probiotic, which is exactly what that is. The ethanol is it creates a subtle cult to hide and that becomes increased in the body and it has adverse effects, and those including remedies to make you feel better, would be targeting the build up of that in in your body. And the other thing is the stummach irritation, the inflammation, because the gas inflammation that occurs is you got to cumb that down and that's why we're doing bland foods and nothing inviting me.
Speaker 1: I hate gastric inflammation. I don't think anybody enjoys that. Do you know anybody that enjoys that? Nicola? I don't know anybody that.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Now, I had a friend that I went to college with, and you know, before he was to go out and you know, and drink beer on a week on a weekend, he would always consume a gallon of water before he went out and drank beer, which would did two things. One it kept the bathroom busy, but two he claims that if you drank a lot of water before you drank a lot of beer, that you really wouldn't get sick or drunk from the beer. And I thought, hey, that sounds like a good idea, but I don't think there's any scientific proof of that.
Speaker 2: Is there.
Speaker 4: Well, you could look at the effect of what they consider one drink, so like to a beer would be twelve ounces of beer, but fourteen ounces of the white beer. So basically that's actually right there, two ounces and more so. Yeah, the looting it doesn't have some merit but to the eating first, because it will slow down the absorption of that and the build up of this really byproduct that cars is poisonous. The other thing that's really really important to know is what we call in bartending school, which I went.
Speaker 3: To like to visits, was in the distillation.
Speaker 4: Of alcohol, it produces what we call the head, the heart, and the tail. And there's mentioning a hard liquor go for the top shelf.
Speaker 3: That's the heart.
Speaker 4: And not only that, but it might financially keep you responsible so having your one or two drinks because it's so expensive. But the tail actually of the alcohol is literally found in the darker liquors and that contains like fusel oils, and that isn't really known to produce a worser hangover, whereas the head has also very harmful congenerous that actually produce the formaldehyde and formic acid, aldehydes and acetone. So all of this is really is mentioning, is I'll we're doing it on this. It's no reason why you feel so damn sick, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well okay, so go back to the tail there.
Speaker 1: Just for a second, you said dark liquors that would be Scotch, berb and things like that.
Speaker 2: Rum, why is it called the tail.
Speaker 4: That's the end of the deflation process, and darker tend to have more of that. Now, this is for spirits, but if you want to look at wine and beer, that's different because that's a fermentation out of the slow product. But people wants to know to get wine hangovers.
Speaker 3: And the thing with that is is.
Speaker 4: It's commonly good of his sulfites being inculporated, and it's not necessarily sul fits because white wine has more sulfites than red wine. But red wine produces more hangovers than white wine, and that's because of something like what do you call the polichenolves, the dark components in the grapes and chrystin and the tannins and histamine, so it has a reaction in the body that can a wopping headache. And if you go and drink like red wine that has added sugar and stuff, now you're really in for trouble because you're going to con the dehydration.
Speaker 2: So maybe like a.
Speaker 1: Nice like a nice Pinot Noirs, Pino grasio or something like that would be better than a heavy cab.
Speaker 2: Or a low or something.
Speaker 4: Well perhaps, but again it's the following foodence first, you know, setting the pace, alternating with water like your friend did. He just drinks a lot of water in the beginning, but going some forth between it and saying with enonymous the rate in which you bolt or set the weight of the person. You know, you can be intoxicated very quickly.
Speaker 1: If I don't know about the water thing. He died of kidney damage, so I don't know. He might have drank too much water.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: It could have been wrong.
Speaker 2: I mean, who knows. I don't know.
Speaker 1: But anyway, so I want to ask you about I want to ask you about this.
Speaker 2: This this theory that's out there.
Speaker 1: That the average number of drinks for an adult male in a week is generally believed to be fourteen and for a woman it's generally believed to be seven. Is there any merit to that?
Speaker 4: Well, this is what what he called the National Institute of alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism had to come up with because they have, you know, labeled this some moderation, which is my least favorite term to describe anything in nutrition or anything to do with help because nobody knows.
Speaker 5: What the moderation means.
Speaker 4: So they came up with one drink for women, to drinks for men, no reference to the weight of a person, no reference to anything. You find a lot of people having habits of not drinking anything all week long and then saving them all up to the weekend and then doing seven drinks at once, fourteen drinks at once. So hopefully they gave it a little bit more definition. No drinks if you're a high risk and pregnancy. One per hour for female, no more than two on any special occasion, and never exceed three on any given day.
Speaker 3: So that's a little bit more specific, so that.
Speaker 4: If you do the far but no more than that amount per week.
Speaker 3: They try to get a little bit more specific.
Speaker 4: So that is a positive step than the just moderation comment.
Speaker 2: Did you say one an hour, one an hour.
Speaker 4: One per hour, not to exceed three in a given day.
Speaker 3: That would be.
Speaker 1: Don't drink three in an hour, is what you're saying. But three in a given day spread it out. Okay, okay, but wait.
Speaker 4: People, those real fast and sultle depends on you know, how much enzyme that somepany collapsed from ethnicity and some of them low lower levels and the endblunch to process the alcohol.
Speaker 1: And USh click, well, that makes sense. Nickeolte paces our guests. She is the founder of nutri Source that was all the way back in two thousand and two. It provides high quality education, counseling, and nutrition services with that holistic approach to food, health and preventative care.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love the holistic approach. I have become more of a fan of that as I've gotten on in life, the holistic approach to medicine and food and nutrition and.
Speaker 2: Things like that.
Speaker 1: Sometimes we just walk into the grocery store and grab something. You know, I'll get this, I'll make this tonight, I'll do that. And we don't think when we go in, you know, we kind of zone out and just grab what we think we need at home, but if you take a holistic approach to anything, let alone nutrition, you're probably going to be better off. And I'm not saying that to both boost your business. I'm sure your business is fine, nickelat but I think we need to start thinking more of that's that way about things, don't you?
Speaker 4: Absolutely and diverse of art much more.
Speaker 3: Because I realized the best.
Speaker 4: Way is not doing it the one under timment anymore. It's really to take to the airwaves and said he get these messages out on a border audience.
Speaker 3: So this year will.
Speaker 4: Twenty twenty six, well, we will finally premiere my new show, which I'm hosting is called Helse Track The nicolet Pay Show. So it's expanding and we are going to be stated in the art the things that people have never heard on any other news network.
Speaker 3: I'm a deequin to this stuff.
Speaker 2: Where's the show going to be? What what pow platform?
Speaker 4: It's going to secure a Roku channel and I'll be bailable on all of the other regular podcast channels that my other podcast was. But it's going to be video and they have a whole studio built and it's really quite excited about it.
Speaker 2: That's right, I got I got a Roku I got.
Speaker 1: I got three of those Roku TVs all over my house, so I just turn on Roku and I can find it right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we haven't premiered it yet.
Speaker 4: This whole lot I'm working on, like I'm working on renovating a NEOs imposed origin colonial form out.
Speaker 2: Well on a grander Dale scale.
Speaker 1: Good luck with that, but I'll look forward to that maybe in the spring, and in maybe in the summer.
Speaker 4: You think, oh, I'm not going by the spring, because we were very much more than most of the elements I had. But I just got a production schedule, dombi on the equipment and excited.
Speaker 3: And you can be my guest.
Speaker 1: I would love to return the favor. And then you could tell me how dumb I am about some of the things I do. We'll turn it into something. It'd be fantastic. I would love to do that, Nikola, Thank you for saying that. In the meantime, I wish you a happy new Year. It sounds like it's going to be a good new year for you, And I know you didn't overdo it last night, so I know it's going to be a good day for you. And I don't need to say stay well to you, but I'll say it anyway, Stay well and only the best in twenty twenty six. Thanks for your time today.
Speaker 3: You're welcome, You healthy, to be happy. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Ken.
Speaker 1: That doesn't help sitting on the couch right now saying to yourself, oh my, what in the world? And I knew last night, but it may help you from doing the same thing. New Year's Eve, twenty twenty six. It's all right, it's okay, it's all right. You'll be fine in a day. Don't worry about it coming up on twelve twenty six. On this New Year's Day, twenty twenty six, it's the average American and for the great American. On news radio seven hundred wl W, it is one O eight on this New Year's Day twenty and twenty six. How do you use that twenty and twenty six when you write out check? If you still write out checks, you gotta put twenty twenty six on it.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Everything is twenty twenty six, twenty twenty six. It doesn't matter whether it's twenty twenty six or nineteen ninety six, or nineteen forty six or twenty thirty six. Everybody, it seems like, are resolved to do things in an upcoming new year. They used to be kind of quaint. You'd make New Year's resolutions. I'm going to stop smoking. I'm going to stop smoking in this new year. Or I'm going to I am finally going to go to the gym and get back into shape. Or I'm jib going to cut down on drinking. I just gotta cut down on drinking. Or it might be something that's no kind of warm and fuzzysmore time with the family. Maybe you're going to adopt a pet. Maybe that pet is going to find a great home in your house. There could be all kinds of things. Unfortunately, most New Year's resolutions go out the window after the first month, and pretty much, I don't know, like eighty ninety percent are never fully realized for an entire year. But finances have always been a major thinking point on New Year's even New Year's Day. Financial betterment, financial resources, better care of such is what I think a lot of people think about when they make New Year's resolutions. So I saw with interest this story that was on a website called The Motley Fool. The Motley Fool is a financial advice website, and they surveyed about two thousand of us, maybe not you, maybe not me, but two thousand Americans to find out what people's most common financial resolutions are. And the usual stuff came came up. Paying off debt, saving for something big in life, increasing income, saving for retirement, reducing spending, all the things that you would like to do but maybe don't have the patience or the wherewithal to do so. Over and above that, what would be some good financial resolutions to make today that are realistic that you might be able to follow through and be better this time in twenty twenty seven. Ron Glasgow is an interesting guy. He has served this country in uniform. He was in the United States Marines for about twenty years, started his own financial services career back in twenty two thousand and one. Actually it's always been at this for twenty five years. And he's somebody that understands that oftentimes what we resolve to do, we don't often do. But one of these top five financial New Year's resolutions for twenty twenty six, Ron glasgalhow are you on this glorious New Year's Day?
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. How about you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well.
Speaker 1: I'm excited for the new year. I'm excited for twenty twenty six. I think the last time we had you on the show, you and I got into a conversation about twenty twenty six, and we both kind of agree that twenty twenty six right now looks like it should be a robust year financially for tens, if not hundreds of millions of Americans. Are you still feeling bullish about twenty twenty six?
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know, I cry be very pragmatic about these things. So you know, we all hope that we're going to have a great year. But you know, dars darthum headwinds that get a couple of them.
Speaker 3: You know, plation is still kind of treading there.
Speaker 6: You know, some unemployment numbers, but you know that's something egghead like me really worry about more than anything. I think as of now, you know, I'll find for go. The economy is looking fairly selling.
Speaker 1: I looked at the GDP, the most recent GDP at four point three percent. Now Americans will say, well, how does that affect me? Well, it affects you because if that's doing well, chances are other indicators are doing well. Inflation is lower, I think than what most people expected. It's infinitely lower than what it was three years ago. And that's what I look at, along with the price of diesel fuel, which is what fuels the trucking industry, which is what fuels the economy, and I think those indicators lead me to believe that maybe some of these headwinds that you're talking about may be buffeted by the things I just talked about. Would that be a fair thing to think?
Speaker 3: Yeah? You think so? Those are all great things.
Speaker 6: There's no doubt that we're in a much better position now than we were several months ago.
Speaker 3: The equalies especially we talked about in placement and the things.
Speaker 6: You know, lookten, we're right, you're coming out where as low as we quite want it to be, but it's if they're very solid numbers. My concern is always you have the inflation that's under control now, but it's still on top of that huge run up that we had previously, and that's where it kind of pitches the middle class, and that's where people are saying, look, I just don't have the same purchasing power you have. But that becomes somewhat of an issue that said, you know, you can't reverse, you can't rewind you just have to play the hand that you're dell in the current day, and that's what we're doing.
Speaker 3: And things are clearly much better than they were previously.
Speaker 1: Right because inflation, you know this, I know this is compounded. It's not it just doesn't go magically to another number each and every month. It's compounded on top of where you were. So if it was two point what seven percent, a little under two point seven percent here in the last month, that's two point seven percent compounded on what it was a year ago. So it's just it's exactly and it rarely gets below zero percent. So I mean, you're a victim of the way you were before. But anyway, I'm encouraged by what I see here as Americans. Five top financial New Year's resolutions, and number one is paying off debt. If there's one thing that will strangle you in a personal life, if there's one thing that will keep you from achieving all that you want, it's an accumulation of debt. It's okay if the federal government does it, well, it's not.
Speaker 2: But they play by different rules.
Speaker 1: But if you play by those rules, you will be in a world of hurt, probably for your life. So if you've got debt that you can buy down whatever way possible, I think that you should do that.
Speaker 2: Whether it's a New Year's resolution or any day of the week.
Speaker 6: Would you agree, Yeah, I mean, you know, it depends on what kind of debt as well. So you know, the whole mortgage, that's not a bad debt to have. Typically it's inductible and it's how you get into a house. Unpsily does border rich.
Speaker 3: You know, if you got to have a car to go to work, you gotta have a car payment. Those are kinds of things.
Speaker 6: That's the credit card debt is the thing that's the most concerning because so many people have mounting credit card bills, and those of the industrates will just absolutely kill you our struggle you as you just sent.
Speaker 3: If you're really looking at the debt that you have, sel.
Speaker 6: Just necessary, but you think it's not necessary, I mean, get rid of pay that office quickly as a gag. And the illustrates attest to it are typically pretty high, okay, and that's fair.
Speaker 1: I would love to see some sort of regulation on the amount of interest credit card companies and banks can charge on those things. But I'm not a big government interventionist, but I would like to see that at least addressed, So paying off debt, saving for something big like a trip, or a retirement plan. I think retirement. I think retirement plans should get more focused. And I'm not talking about boomers or anything like that. I'm talking about the gen Z crowd, the gen y crowd. If you've got a four to oh one K at where you work, you're an absolute nut. If you do not buy into that to the maximum you can contribute with your employer or matching, and normally that's what the employer kicks in up to three to six that's what your income you should be contributing to. You're making money at that point. So I think that should be a goal, particularly for the for the younger crowd, don't.
Speaker 6: You Yeah, I mean for anything that's match that's free money. So if you don't take it, you're just leaving down on the table. You should always invest up to your four one K your company'sponths to plan up to the massing amount. After that, you wanted to determine the raw better or or not. But then even these days, the four one K plans have a rock competent as well. So you could do it kind of all in one, take advantage of the matches to contribute to your retirement.
Speaker 3: But that's certainly a lot more important than planning for a big trip.
Speaker 1: I would say reduce spending is on this top five list. By the way, this is a survey that done was done by the Moley Fool, which is.
Speaker 2: A financial website.
Speaker 1: About two thousand Americans participated reducing spending.
Speaker 2: Everybody wants to do that.
Speaker 1: I think they look at what the bills have, particularly in the last month, have have piled up to and they say, yeah, I got to cut down on spending. That's not that It's great perhaps for you personally, but that's not great news for the economy, is it going forward? The economy is dependent on people spending money, is it not?
Speaker 6: Run the kondomy is depending on people sitting money to a large extent. However, you know, you've got to look at your own personal situation first, so you don't want to sit it frivolously. You know, it's not our job to stimulate the economy as individuals. That the byproducts of just being an American, and American's business is business.
Speaker 3: So if you're taking care of all of the sentities. Spending a little bit extra for entertainment certainly will hurt the economy.
Speaker 6: Will be fine if everyone does that, but make sure that you're you're paying off that bet and then cutting back on trivial of spending.
Speaker 1: Now, from a tax standpoint, twenty twenty six, things are changing. Twenty twenty five's in the bank here in just a day or two. But twenty twenty six things change because of the one big beautiful law that was signed into law on July fourth, No tax on tips. That's great if you're in the food service industry. But you got to keep track of those things, right, You got to You got to do a little paperwork on those You can't just pocket the money and say I'm fine, no tax on tips. You've got to keep track of those things, correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yes, So when it comes to the things like tipping, yeah, you've got.
Speaker 3: To keep track of it. And look, it's a lot easier to do these days.
Speaker 6: Everybody's credit cards, so you're it's going to be it's going to be calculated no matter what. So you want to make sure you stay on top of that and just you know, and then goes for oll of yours.
Speaker 3: But in terms of all of your income.
Speaker 6: You really just want to keep a running letter of what you're making to avoid any hot water with the ir.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, absolutely, and you're right. I think it is easier because of people that use credit cards now and I sometimes I use cash. It depends on the amount of the bill, but still you got to keep track of that. Now, this one big beautiful law that Trump got through Congress, I'm wondering what the tax cuts are. We keep hearing about the Trump tax cuts. What is that mean for me and everybody else walking around here in the greater Cincinnati area? Am I going to be taxed less? Am I going to have to pay less income tax in twenty twenty six?
Speaker 6: Yeah? It's you know, it was a controversial bill, right, That was the one that sort of split up Elin and Trump.
Speaker 3: So that's shows you how controversial it was.
Speaker 6: At the end of the day, whatever the bill is is going to trickle down to your particular situation. So that's where you want to look at how it affects you. And more importantly, all I should insult with the tax professional on that one, because.
Speaker 3: You're individual taxes.
Speaker 6: Elis want to go to that tax professional I'm pretty good about helping people to an extent with investments, but you know we rely on our tax partners mostly.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, But I mean it just stands to reason, like, for example, if if if I made with a wish, if I made one hundred thousand dollars last year and I was taxed on that, and I forget what the tax rate would be on that, Let's just say it's thirty percent for a round number. Should I expect that thirty percent to go to twenty five percent to twenty percent. I'm just trying to get a feel here. I know you're not a tax by, but I'm sure you file income tax might try to get I'm just trying to get a feel about what it means. I mean, and just in terms of dollars, even if it's not the percentage we can talk about, is it just going to mean that I have to pay less in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Well, one thing I always want to point out is if people forget this, and they forget there's an effective rate.
Speaker 3: Versus you know, the set rate.
Speaker 6: So when the text rate says thirty two percent, that doesn't mean you're paying thirty two percent on everything you made it's cheers for like a wedding cake. And how I was still to explained to me thirty years ago when I was learning this, So are you going to pay less potentially, but remember you just pay less on that amount that hits that next.
Speaker 3: Bracket wrung up.
Speaker 6: I don't have those in front of me, but it's not going to just drastically reduce you from dollar one because the text god to the instruction that way.
Speaker 3: Again, it's kind of takes stereo.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Ron Glasgow is our guest and he's an investment guru. He can help you get your money where it needs to go to do things that you only dream of. The feed is cutting rates. BET cut a rate by a quarter percentage point a couple of weeks ago. More rate cuts are coming in twenty twenty six. From an investment standpoint, if you see those rates getting cut and another one expected next year, would it not make sense to open a CD or a high yield savings account before these rates fall further? And would it not make sense to do that before the next few days?
Speaker 6: Sure well, they always say you when you're looking at making sense of things like that.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't necessarily worry about the rate cuts.
Speaker 6: If you have the ability to open and checking or tobahin savings account and you have money, then yes you should put that into those high yielded accounts. You know when the Fed does cut that, you will see you go down. So I think it's pretty much fatter than we'll do rake Ki. Although it's not certain, but you know you sigure getting two or three months of interest at that higher rate before it kicked down a quarter a point. It's certainly helpful. But again the driver there is do you have the money to say so? Well, I mean put it into the staving the council gets to the most money possible.
Speaker 1: Ron Glasgow, our guest financial strategist, You know what's frightening about all these resolutions?
Speaker 3: Ron?
Speaker 1: I mean, I've got the numbers here in front of me. Very few New Year's resolutions are kept long term. About six percent maybe a little bit more than that, if people actually make a resolution on New Year's Day and stick with it through the end of the year and eighty percent. Stats tell us eighty percent of us just bail on our New Year's resolutions by the end of January. We're not a very disciplined society.
Speaker 3: Are we not much? You know, it's kind of like the gym, which I haven't been too and far too long.
Speaker 6: But you know, when I work out heavily, you always dread January because you know we're just going to be back, you know, February.
Speaker 3: It's better by March or back at the clear. Yeah, so that unfortunately, that's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you see people, you see people you haven't seen in your life the day after New Year's and by February they're gone.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're you're putting out apbs on these guys. Where did he go? What happened to these people?
Speaker 1: But you're right, it's it's uh, it's going to get packed in the gym early on here in the new year. Nevertheless, Ron, good stuff as always, Ron Glasgow, you know your stuff, stay well and we'll visit in the new year.
Speaker 2: Thanks for your time.
Speaker 3: Today, Yeah, thank you very much. I agree you having you bet you bet.
Speaker 1: One thing above all else if you're going to make any financial resolutions for this year, is pay down your credit card debt. As he said, mortgage car. I mean that's they're okay to carrying notes on that credit card debt with some of those approaching twenty two to twenty three percent in terms of interest. I'm not a government interventionist, not not for anything, but there's something that has to be done with credit card interest rates. They're just absolutely astonishing, depressing. I'd say it listens to steal money. But you went into one of those willingly. You have to understand what it means. Pay down the debt. Find a card with zero balance, put everything on that card, and then pay that card off every single month and get out from underneath debt.
Speaker 2: That ought to be number one for a New Year's resolution. I did that.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, it's been about ten years ago, and it was just emancipating when it came to financial concerns that I had. We're at won twenty four on this New Year's Day. Happy New Year, twenty twenty six. The Average American in for the Great American News Radio seven hundred WLW Welcome back, seven hundred WLW. It's the average American in for the Great American on this New Year's Day. Keeping track of the college football playoffs. Oregon and Texas Tech in the Orange Bowl and now with eleven minutes and twenty four seconds to go in the third quarter, Oregon six and Texas Tech NA six.
Speaker 3: Nothing.
Speaker 1: Tonight it's Mississippi and Georgia and that will complete the three games today. Mississippi and Georgia will square off in the final. I guess these are quarterfinals. Yeah, the quarterfinals of the college football playoff that will be in the Sugar Bowl in the upcoming about four o'clock. In the upcoming Rose Bowl, it will be Indiana, number one in the country, number one seed in the country, Indiana against Alabama and at the new Conference out there in Los Angeles at Dull Pasadena actually where they're playing this thing. One of the reporters as Kirk Signetti, who is the head football coach of Indiana and a terrific one at that. They asked him the grind year to year, season, the season, and now the grind after the end of the regular season and coming into your first playoff game of twenty twenty six, how do you deal with that? Is there a process? And do people get burned out? Here's what Signetti said. I think this was very prescient on his part.
Speaker 7: I've always tried to do is manage the grind a little bit and be efficient in everything we do. I'm a short practice guy. You know, I want to keep the players fresh, keep me healthy. I'm the same way with the coaches, you know. I'm very cognizant of their family time, their free time. I think everybody needs time to kind of get away and recalibrate.
Speaker 2: So this business, you gotta love it.
Speaker 7: If my dad told me at a very young age, only go in it if you can't live without it.
Speaker 3: And I think that was good advice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that's advice for any job. You know what you're getting into. If you don't love it, if you can't dedicate yourself to it, then you know what are you doing there? And it is the life of a head coach is glamorous, it's well compensated, but for assistant coaches it is a grind. Of course, players it used to be that way. Now some are handsomely remunerated for their services thanks to ANIL, but nevertheless it is a grind. So what does Indiana have tonight against Alabama? What does this matchup look like? What are the strengths and weaknesses of each team? What does Indiana have to be wary of that Alabama brings to the field tonight? Alabama, they've already gotten one upset already in the college football playoff. They beat Oklahoma before Christmas? So what of this game right now? Many websites cover the Indiana Hoosiers. One that I gravitate to is called Inside the Hall. I like it because they have good writers, and one of their good writers, in my opinion, is standing by to join us now to handicap this game tonight. He is Josh Pose and a couple of hours before kickoff kind enough to carve out some time to spend with us here on seven hundred W Well, W win, Josh.
Speaker 2: How are you on this glorious game day?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, Kenn.
Speaker 5: It's kind of an overcast day in Los Angeles, but it's warmer than it is by.
Speaker 3: You, that is for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, that bar is low.
Speaker 1: And are you sure it's not overcast or is it just smog because there's a lot of smog out there, as you well.
Speaker 5: Know, a lot of smog and a lot of rain in coming up to and.
Speaker 3: Give me a rainy week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sounds that way, all right. So this is interesting. This is the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 1: This is Indiana the number one overall seed against Alabama, which is played on by virtue of it's went over Oklahoma. First things first, Indiana has been off for a while, obviously since that Big Ten Championship game. I'm just wondering what has occurred during that time period between the end of the Big Ten Championship game and this game against Alabama. Was this team banged up? Did it need rest? Did it would it have been better to just keep playing? I mean, what has this time off been like?
Speaker 3: I think this time off is a double edged sword.
Speaker 5: Obviously, you saw last year in the college football playoffs the top four seeds who did get buys all lost by significant margins in that in that quarterfinal last year. But for India they kind of treated they treated it like two bye weeks. So when you play twelve games in the span of fourteen weeks, you do get dinged up. So it was an opportunity for those guys that were dinged up, like an Omar Kupu who got hurt, they were able to rehab rest and then it's a lot of film watching and to your question about would you rather play, well, that's to be seen obviously with the Rose Bowl game and all the College Football playoff quarterfinals. But I think with Kurt Signetti. He knows how to manage his team and he's he's a time manager. He's really good at that. So it's going to be really interesting to see did they hold us what they've done with all the practice in their workouts. But if they can put it on the field, that's when we'll really see how it went.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again not to kick off, will we see that at all? But it has been just a historic, magical run at IU. And in this day and age of college football, you can turn a program around quickly with the portal Kurt Signetti has come in. He's breathed new life into that school. Obviously, these are housey and days for Indiana. What other than obviously getting Fernando Mendoza, who was, you know, a gifted player and a Heisman Trophy Wanner, what has Signetti done, either through his philosophy, his culture or player acquisition. What is the most significant thing that he has done to turn this around other than getting Fernando Mendozo.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think it's not what Kurt Signetti has done.
Speaker 5: He's done a lot, don't get me wrong, But it's what the university has done for the football program. They finally invested in the football program. For many years, football was treated by the athletic department as.
Speaker 3: Just another step closer to basketball season.
Speaker 5: By October, he was all right, the football team is one, two games and everybody's going to start heading.
Speaker 3: Over to Assembly Hall. They started to invest in money.
Speaker 5: They invested their money into football because at the end of the day, college football rules the roost and when it comes to athletic department budgets. So Scott Dolson and the athletic director and the president, Pam Whitten, and Kirk Cognetti will be the first one to tell you that it was their investment to the football program that allowed him to get the players to establish that culture.
Speaker 3: In those JMU guys.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of guys on this team doesn't even go to the gay and you guys alone.
Speaker 3: Who have something to prove.
Speaker 5: They always they called themselves the Group of five All Stars. Last year these guys started either SCS or in the Group of five.
Speaker 3: So they want to prove to these coaches.
Speaker 5: They wanted to prove the All Aisle Stakers Defense State, the Organs of the world, those coaches that hey, you didn't recruit us, but we're going to make you pay for it.
Speaker 1: This game is an interesting matchup in a number of senses. Alabama is a team that a lot of people looked at and said, well, I wonder if they're going to make the playoff, and then all of a sudden they go to Oklahoma and turn that town and that team upside down.
Speaker 2: And here they come.
Speaker 1: Into this game against Indiana, and I'm just wondering. You have to look critically at Alabama. There's seven point underdogs last I checked, and I think that number is a little low. I'm not sure that seven would be the number I had assigned to it. But nevertheless, as you look at Alabama, what do you think is the biggest problem Indiana will have with Alabama in this game?
Speaker 5: I think it is the matchups, not really in the trenches, but outside. They have a lot of skill guys. Obviously, Ryan Williams had a great year last year. I think he was still like seventeen years old last year. He's been quiet this year. But I think with ty Simpson, if ty Simpson can be the Heisman caliber quarterback that he was predicted to be up until i'd say mid November, then Indiana could have some trouble. But I think Indiana is so well versed on defense, but maybe to answer your question a little bit better, maybe offensively against a really tough defensive line in Alabama. To get their star defensive lineman Elsie Overton back. He played in the Auburn game, didn't play against the Oklahoma the heat. I think he leads the team and tackles to lost. So they're a strong, physical team. So it could come down to the trenches like all college football games do. So I'd say that defensive line Indiana's offensive lick has to get pushed.
Speaker 2: Yeah they do.
Speaker 1: I mean last I checked, Alabama was top ten in rushing defense. Well, let's talk a little bit about what the Alabama will face from the Indiana rushing attack. Roman Henby, Taylor Black, He's in there and that mix as well. But let's just talk about Henvy for a minute. How important is it for him to get off.
Speaker 7: In this game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Roman Henby is the guy that will set the tone in this game, especially depending on the weather. It might be a wet, muggy day in Pasadena and no one really wants to see that. They want to see the sunset over the San Gabriel Mountains. But it might be a wet condition in Pasadena. So establishing the run, Roman Henby really good at getting downhill, getting extra yards. You got to fight for every extra every yard matters in this time of year. You're trying to fight for one more game, fighting for one more yard each play. So Roman Henby setting the tone will allow a guy like Kaylon Black to come in in his place and flourish on itself. Roman Henvy that nine hundred and eighteen yards, but Kaylon Black has seven seven hundred ninety nine with thirty four less touches. So these guys are the two headed monster that I think. Roman Henvy has to set the tone, but Kaylon Black also has to do his job against a good defensive line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're chatting with Josh Pose. He is with Inside the Hole. They cover Indiana University athletics and very very well. I mean, I think Indiana fans know about what Inside the Hole is all about. But if someone if you're out there and you're just maybe a casual fan or you just want to get an inside scoop as to what's going on in this game that's coming up against Alabama a great destination. Tell me about Mendoza. He seems to be just a genuinely nice person. Comes off as a little naive, but in terms of worldliness obvious he knows football, but really what is what is he like? Is he as as the way he conducts himself on television in these interviews, is he that way all the time?
Speaker 5: That is the same person that you see that you saw give that six minute Heisman speech she had spirited looking into the camera. That is the same person we have seen since his spring interview with us after the spring game. Fernanda Mendoza albeit a little he's a little quirky and in he he's a great quarterback, so that he understands the game. He understands every word he's saying. He is the only athlete that I've talked to in my four years of college, in going back to reporting in high school that has never said the phrase you know or no filler words.
Speaker 3: He will.
Speaker 5: He knows what he wants to say. He's almost like a robot because he's so well spoken, but just one of one human being and obviously the Heisman winner. He's a great talent at court, but he just represents the university so well, and it's exactly the person that Indiana wants to surround itself.
Speaker 3: With he had.
Speaker 5: I think it was Antoine Randall l back in the day, and then Anthony Thompson, who is a Heisman runner up. But Fernando Mendoz is the guy like there's no controversy around him. He is just a great quarterback. He is the Heisman winner for a reason, and he goes and wins games he needs. As clutch as they come in college football.
Speaker 2: Signetti's a trip, isn't he.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's just you know what I mean? Do you never know what's coming out of that dude's mouth. I mean, I've been to Pittsburgh a lot in my life, and there are there are a lot of guys walking around Pittsburgh that have the same mannerism in the same speech. But as a guy, he doesn't I honestly care. I don't think he cares about who says what about him, and I honestly think he doesn't care about what he says about anyone. He just is, Okay, let's just judge me by what happens, which is rare in this day and age in athletics, is it not?
Speaker 5: He It's it's very rare. A lot of times you're kind of getting with that new wave of coaches. But you have to remember Signetty's background. His dad was ahead was a coach, an old school coach. He coached under Nick Saban and everything he does controlling the message like that's that's very nixt saving of him.
Speaker 3: But he's one of those guys that bet.
Speaker 5: On himself and he won, so why not have the brashes? And he always says that the Google need I win, the Michigan, the Michigan Ohio State they suck in and Purdue does too.
Speaker 3: All that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: He riled up a fan base that was that was quite frankly dormant, and he's unapologetically himself and that's what people either love or hate about him. And he's just awesome to talk to you because, like you said, you never know what's coming out of his mouth neck except for his his tropes of fast, physical, relentless and a smart discipline.
Speaker 1: Boys, it's amazing you've had a ball covering that team this year. We'll see how it goes with Alabama. I fully expect Indiana to play on but we'll see how it all turns out. As they say, that's why they play the games. Josh Thanks for your time, Josh pos inside Thehall dot com and enjoy your time out there. I know it's worked, but enjoy your time out there, Josh, and thanks for your time today.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Ken.
Speaker 1: Of course, that game is coming up around about four, and we will carry it here on seven hundred alw or at least that's what I'm being told, and that'll be an interesting game to tune into.
Speaker 2: But Indiana to me, is just humming right along.
Speaker 1: I know what the stats say about teams that have a bye week and then have to go play in the college football it's not good. In fact, I don't think anyone has taken a bye week in college football's playoff system and then come back in one. Have they bye weeks are not Older're cranked up to me. You know these teams that are going it's in the NFL too. These teams are going, going, going, and they're performing so well and then all of a sudden, Wow, here's an extra week off. Well that's great, everybody can heal up and everybody, and then you kind of lose the mojo you had going. We'll see what happens to Indiana. I still think they're the best team left standing. Miami is a great story. Don't get me wrong there. Miami is a great story Indiana. I think they're the best team left standing. We shall find out. It is two twenty two on this New Year's Day. It's the average American in for the Great American. Seven hundred wl W, seven hundred wl W. Welcome back to the Big Show. I am ken Brew.
Speaker 3: We had.
Speaker 1: Some thoughts from Ryan Day on last night's Ohio State loss to Miami, and one of the things that he suggested was a turning point in the game, and for all intents and purposes, it was was, well, let me take you back to the third quarter. That's probably the best place to go. Miami got the ball after Ohio State cut the lead to fourteen to seven, and Miami goes on this drive. It's nine plays, it's forty three yards, it's five minutes, little more than five minutes o'clock time, and it ends in a field goal.
Speaker 3: And you know, it was.
Speaker 1: To me, even though it didn't end in a touchdown, it just it said to me that this thing was pretty much done. Ohio State answers with a touchdown in the fourth quarter made it seventeen to fourteen, but it just like it just kind of like stagnated there and he got to the fourth courter. Here's a second drive too in the fourth quarter for Ohio State. They had scored to make it seventeen to fourteen early fourth quarter, seven plays, six yard drive, and it just it just stalled. I mean, they there were there was a sack, there was an incompleted pass, then a ten yard penalty that threw them back and off track again in completion, passed behind the line of scrimmage, then another penalty. They just they were they were coughing and wheezing at that point. The first half was was just horrible for them. Fourteen to nothing is what the score was at halftime. And they out of the gate in the second half. They knew they really had a how to be crisp. They knew they had to make every drive and they they were better in the second half then the first half. Don't get me wrong on that they played better. What they weren't really playing like Ohio State football in the first half. That question was posed to Juliet saying after the game and in the news conference about the difference in the two halves and just coming out and just not doing anything in the first two quarters of football.
Speaker 8: Here's saying, yeah, just started executing better in the second half, but ultimately, you know, wasn't good enough, didn't put up enough points, and you know it starts with me, and we got to be better on offense as an execution standpoint, and you know it starts with me. So we got to be better and put up more points than fourteen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, got to be better. But you aren't going to have a chance to be better until this coming August. And we'll see how many stick around to be better in this coming August. Transferred Portal is just about open two thirty news time, seven hundred at WLW