Speaker 1: It's the weekend. Sterling back seven hundred w WELW on the road headed to Green Bay Lambeau Field along with the football whude Bengals. James Rapine locked on Bengals the Cincinnati Bengals talk as I he's everywhere, Thanks for making time. This is a weird week, and it is always a challenging thing week after week in the NFL. But the Bengals did something. They went from Joe in a tow issue to Jake Browning to now a knew Joe who's not all that new really, former Raven. He's gotten around a little bit. Was with the Browns for eight and a half minutes, and he actually beat Green Bay a couple of weeks ago in a shocker. Now he's trying to figure out new play schemes and working with some elite receivers what he's not necessarily familiar with. How does this look on the outside, just a couple of days away from kickoff in Lambeau.
Speaker 2: Extremely challenging, I'll be honest with you, like extremely challenging. I think the Bengals they needed to make a change and to do this to give themselves a chance. I also think it's it's really hard to find the realistic path to them winning a game against the Green Bay team that's thinking Super Bowl, and I get it. The Bengals are too, and that's their mindset, but it's just a really tough spot to be in. Doesn't mean they won't it surprise me, but having him come in here basically get here Tuesday night and I've made that drive, as you know, down seventy one plenty and while he wasn't while he wasn't driving, it's a that's a tough ask to go from there to now. You're practicing in a with new players on Wednesday, and your meetings on Wednesday and in Thursday, same thing. Friday, you meet with the media the first time for the first time. Today you're flying to Green Bay and you gotta deal with the packers at Lamba on Sunday. Like there's just there's a lot to it. It's not impossible, but it's extremely challenging.
Speaker 1: And if he were to get that win with the Bengals, which would be a nice turnaround after going two and oh we complained about a slow start for weeks. Would we not have been happy to trade an Oh for three if we had kept Joe's toe healthy and Burrow under center, Yeah sure, sure, and then O and three for Jake Browning, who he's still the number two in this situation, So his head has got to be in a weird place. I mean, he knows how he performed or failed to perform in that circumstance, but he's got to be ready to go if in fact, something happens to Flacco.
Speaker 2: No doubt. And that's that's what's tough, is this juggling act. I will say this, I do respect that the Bengals went right to Flacco right away. I do think that's the right move because it's not like starting Jake would give you a better chance against Green Bay. Like I wouldn't feel any better about it. If anything, the unknown in that curveball may make it a little tougher on Green Bay. But you're right, like Jake has to stay dialed in because he's one play away from playing, and so it's it's tough. There's a lot of emotions that go into it. At the same time, did it feel like at any point over the past three weeks like this Bengals offense was close to figuring it out. I'm not gonna let Yeah, even a few touchdowns against the Lions in garbage time, like that's.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: I don't Maybe you can build off that, maybe you can't. And what I will say is talking to the guys in the locker room this week, they are buying into Joe flacka.
Speaker 1: Well, they have to, don't they. I mean, he has some strong pedigree, he's got experience. They've seen him, they've competed against him, they know what that's like. So for him to step in that's pretty large. He also hasn't had some of the weaponry that he can work with Chase, who's questionable. I guess in Higgins, how is Chase and what are I mean it's hard for somebody to step in like that. How do they keep him comfortable and capable with plays that fit into what the Bengals are already comfortable and familiar with to be able to go in there and be functional because there's a lot to learn in just a short amount of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you go with the stuff that the Joe is most comfortable with. And that's what Friday was and that's what today is is figuring out what what is he comfortable with? What is he like from a literally from a play to play standpoint, and what is he kind of questioning now? And that's that's one of the many things from a rhythm standpoint that Joe Flacco and Zach Taylor they're going to have to get down and the rest of the coaching staff they're gonna have to continue to iron that out. But yeah, go with what you know and understand that your job is to get the ball in the hands of your playmakers. This offense should be good. And I know that people bring up the offensive line and they're going to talk about Micah Parsons and you might ask me about that.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 2: I don't care who the defense is. This offense should still score and it should score every week. And we shouldn't be talking about three points in a halftime and in the game over by the half. That should never be the case when you have Joe Burrow or when you have excuse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how many times is that going to happen in the booth for those guys calling the game on TV too, you know it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: It should. It might be a lot, but there's a reason they paid Jamar and they paid Tea and they kept Mike GEESICKI and then they go get Noah Fant and they were so optimistic about Chase Brown, like there's there's a lot of talent on this offense Sterling. Oh yeah, and so can Joe Flatco do his best Joe Burrow. There we go, I did it right impression and maximize the weapons. The Bengals are banking on that a better option than Jake. We will see. But that's the challenge, not just tomorrow, but moving forward for this Bengals offense.
Speaker 1: Good seeing him, good, talking to him, good reading him. Locked on Bengals Cincinnati Bengals talk James for Pene was Sterling seven hundred WLWL kick off four twenty five Sunday, lambeau Field in Green Bay. You got to go through in Milwaukee to get there, unless you're flying or having a bad flight, which I've had in the past. I have to ask James Rapine in the midst of this, aside from the weaponry, what do we know about Chase? Is he able to suit up, play and go? Because everything I've read, I don't know if it's gamesmanship or if he's really not well.
Speaker 2: I would expect him to play good luck. I mean, it would have to be to me, it would have to be one hell of an illness to sideline him. But I don't know that. That's just me looking at who Jamar Chase is, knowing that he talked to us on Thursday, and then yeah, Zach Taylor takes him out of or not takes him out of practice, but doesn't have him practice on Friday. But you want him to get rest and he's going to have to rest up because he needs about twelve catches tomorrow. So yeah, I would expect him to play. Maybe it's gamesmanship, maybe he's really really sick. I don't know, but I'm expecting to see Jamar out.
Speaker 1: There as far as the running game, and that when they can't go with the deep ball, that there's been an opportunity obviously, you know with Chase Brown to sort of you know, drop off that pass, get an extra five maybe ten, snuck in there without going far deep the south. How does he looking what about tandem with him? Tight end work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's it's it's a good it's a good point to bring up because if you look at what Joe Flacco did this year in Cleveland or his past the running back. He's going to throw to the running back and Chase Brown. That's something he's worked on a ton since he's gotten to the league. And I thought he was gonna have a huge year and this year has just been weird for this offense. And so yeah, he's got to be a factor for this team and a playmaker. And so get him the ball in space and maybe maybe that is the run game a little bit, but if it's not, then maybe it's the checkdowns. But he can certainly help you and these tight ends. I really think Noah and MIKEASICKI compliment each other really well. And there are a bunch of guys that I think are going to get a boost with Joe Flacco at quarterback. But you look at Mike Kasiki and that might be the number one guy. He had David and Joku and Harold fannin in Cleveland, and both guys were targeted plenty from Joe Flacco and in Joker's case a couple of years ago when they went to the playoffs and Joku really took off because of his report with Flacco. Don't be shocked at all if you see more of Noah fense and Mike Kasiki and them making game changing plays, moving the color.
Speaker 1: Talking to James Rapeen, locked on Bengals, Cincinnati Bengals talk on the Big One about Bengals in action Sunday taken on the Packers in Green Bay at Lambeau Field for twenty five, Packers two to one and one Bengals two and three. You know about the zero for three with Jake Browning under center. Flacco now the man with tiger strikes from one Joe to another. As far as this defense is concerned, I mean, they've given up their share of points. I mean, let's just call it what it is. I mean, they've they've improved, but have they really How disturbing is it going into Green Bay?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Uh, it's tough. I think I'm curious to see this defense in a normal game when they aren't down by you know, the bajillion points and put into a bunch of bad situations And maybe that happens tomorrow at Lambau or maybe not. Maybe they're putting a bunch of bad situations again. But it's it's been tough to judge them because I do think that they're they work hard. I think for the most part they're on the same page, which I couldn't say last year. And the pass rush came alout a little bit last week, like there were signs they didn't let that that Lion's rushing attack break them like I think some thought it would, and then it put them and gave them a chance to rush the passer and they got after Jared Goff a little dead so and they put it together. I wonder, and I think it stinks to Mar Stewart isn't gonna play for another game, and he hasn't played since Weet two, and it's just it's painful to not have Schamar because when I look at this defense, Sterling, obviously Trey Hendrickson is a game changer. I think Dax Hill is the second best player on this defense right now. But it would be really nice if Shamar Stewart would emerge as another game changer. I just I'm not sure they have anyone right now that isn't Trey Hendrickson that can affect the game in the ways that maybe Chamar could if he was getting experience and learning and playing, because I do think he has a really high ceiling. So that's what I wonder. Who else is going to step up, not named Trey.
Speaker 1: Hendrickson anything that we've not covered in this short amount of time. Thank you for making it and letting us know where your head is and what we should expect a Sunday afternoon at Lambeau Cincinnati Bengals talk Locked on Bengals, James Rapine, what else is there before we let you.
Speaker 2: Bounce over the next five days, Sterling, the Bengals are going to play two games, that's right. Tomorrow is a very important game. But if they're competitive tomorrow, and I told people this yesterday in the build, Yes, if they're competitive tomorrow at Lambeau and Lewis and then come home and deep Pittsburgh, regardless of what happens between Cleveland and Pittsburgh this week, they're going to be right back in. There'll be three and four, they'll have any tiebreaker over the Steelers, and they'll be in second place in the division. And so yeah, as important is tomorrow is the next five days are really really important and finding a way to beat the Steelers on Thursday night is going to be big. So there we go. I didn't I didn't tease this game as as much as I probably should have. It is a big game. They all are big games. But the next five days it's going to go a long way in determining if Joe Flacu and the Bengals are going to be able to rebound after this two and three start.
Speaker 1: Strange to the days in the whole Trice State, up to the Miami Valley and beyond wherever Bengals Nation is. I mean, seriously, I mean, people have seemed deflated, they've seemed depressed. It's just a little hope as we start feeling fall and leaves falling and start thinking more football and cold weather ahead of us. Everybody just seems like they're happier when the Bengals are winning. So we'll see.
Speaker 3: How about.
Speaker 1: Thanks for making time. We'll look for it. Five days, Yeah, big five and it all starts Sunday. James Rapeen, Lockdown, Bengals, Cincinnati Bengals, talk SI and all over the Benguin here on your weekend with Sterling on seven hundred WLW. Thank you, James, take care of yourself.
Speaker 2: Thanks to appreciate you.
Speaker 1: And from summer to full on fall, it's like eighty four and then into the sixties and fifties, which I mean it's October the way it's supposed to feel. Glad you're here, Leam, keeping me in line and on time, and a lot of ground to cover Later Kevin Carr, fat guys at the movies who join us. We'll talk on what's new as a theater, maybe some streaming stuff as well. That's after ten o'clock. Doctor Dona schleg former head of political science at Wright State, now known as Professor Emerida, gonna join us with the latest on the Israeli Hamas peace steel. Looks like they're another step closer to getting things closer to normal and peaceful and then rebuilding and everything that goes with that. So we'll pick her brain about that about ten to eleven minutes from right now. And also the government shutdown, which it continues, and now they're slashing jobs, not just furlowing people temporarily or expecting people to work for no pay and then get back pay later. Apparently now they're starting to like blow people out and to let them go in the midst of all this. So we'll get some nuts and bolts on that as well. A little bit later, something else to get into.
Speaker 3: I had.
Speaker 1: I had a flashback and it was not drug related. It was not because I had a blunt head trauma, you know, falling off a piece of so called modern art on the square when I was a little sterling, but it might have been a part of that. It's talking to my neighbor and with their kids and them complaining to their parents about going to their grandma and grandpa's house and having issues with they had new carpet apparently and furniture, which made me flash back to being a kid again going to friends' houses because apparently their grandparents have plastic runners now running through their house on their new carpet in playing flooring or whatever they had done, as well as covers on their furniture, plastic covers on the furniture. And the kids are not teeny tiny walking around germ monsters. Everything's a mess everywhere they go. I mean, they're I don't know, close to middle school age. I would think they'd be a little less destructive at that point. But it got me thinking about being little and going to some of my friend's houses and even relatives' houses where they did the same thing. And we're talking about in the eighties. I didn't think anyone still did that. I mean, if you're going to cough up the cash to get something nice and new with the house. I totally understand wanting to keep it nice, but having plastic covers on your seating, on your sofas, in your chairs, and having to walk on a plastic runner just seems like over the top. I mean, there was a formal living room at the house of Sterling. I only saw coming in and out of the house. I was never supposed to sit there. I think occasionally when somebody came trying to sell stuff, they would sit there in a presentation scenario. Maybe at the holidays there would be something going on in that front and part of the house. Otherwise it was just my job to vacuument on occasion and walk through quickly without touching stuff. But it was not covered and plastic. There were not plastic runners on the floor, which why get the new floor, why get the new furniture if it's hermetically sealed. And I can just remember effectively either wearing shorts in the summertime sort of getting stuck and having to peel off my legs and stuff off the seats, and then you know, getting hollered at for not staying on the runners. While walking, which is sort of a strange thing. And it'd be like workers coming to the house to do something and having the foot covers their plastic temporarily roll on sticky stuff to protect your things. But living in that way all the time. I just my brain as I try to process it. I wonder, when the grandkids aren't around, if they unseal the furniture so they can at least enjoy the new stuff and roll up the mats, or they spent the money so that they have to. I mean, it's it's odd. It's basically furniture and carpet condoms. Why get involved in I mean it sort of ruins the fun. It's not like they're gonna make baby sofas and new rugs. I could be wrong. I mean, what, what the hell do I know? You're nine thirty report straight away? Jack Cromley's like really sterling, Yeah, really, He's got the latest on everything going on from that explosion at the munition's plant in Texas or in Tennessee rather as well as everything else that's going on. Doctor Doni Shchleck on the other side talking Israel, Hamas and the piece as well as government shut down movie stuff. Later on and maybe keeping your furniture and your floors saved from dirty kids and what have you. I just just flashed back to being little again, and the kids were complaining, their parents were laughing, and I just stood there in bewilderment, sort of flashing back as my crazy dog was like, let's get on with the walk. It's time for news. Appreciate you being here. It's a Friday night on the Nation station where those football bear Cats get it at it. Tomorrow at noon on seven hundred WLW, stay Sterling hanging out the peace seemingly inching towards it again in the Middle East with Israel and humas someone who knows about that type of thing published the first textbook on terrorism. Former head of political science Wright state she's a Cincinnati kid now Professor Meredith was Sterling on seven hundred w WELW, Doctor Donna Schleck, how are you tonight.
Speaker 4: Hi, Sterling. Good to talk to you about some good news.
Speaker 1: Huh, it'd be nice, yeah, a little bit. US troops are going to be a part of the piece in some fashion, apparently on the ground or en route to Israel now, but not going to be in Gaza, as I understand it. What a week it's been in this piece deal, which seems to be a little bit closer to reality.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it is a big, big step toward peace. It's just some baby steps at this point, but I think some things have already happened that you know, when we think about some of the true high points in President Trump's second term, we are probably experiencing them right now. Everything that Joe Biden had thought but was unable to accomplish, obviously, the hostage and the prisoner exchange, surging aid in and at least a temporary cease fire and a partial is rarely pullback. That's what this agreement currently will be in the process of accomplishing. It's a small step, and the really big and the really complicated work has you have to get seriously underway. But we can look forward to I expect not just President Trump addressing the Israeli Kanessant, but also probably signing this agreement in Egypt. It's been since nineteen ninety three when President Bill Clinton signed one of these with the Israeli Prime Minister and Yasir Arafat. It's been that long since there's been such a major agreement and once again, in this case, an American president is putting his name on that document. It's a big commitment. Central Command has those two hundred troops, those American troops on their way nominally to be in charge of coordinating what will be a massive surge in food and fuel and obviously medical supplies to the region. Palestinians are already walking walking back to their hometowns and their homes if they're fortunate enough to still find them standing, So there will be a major surge happening. America will be providing some security for that. And the Trump administration is talking about convening some major summits of the Arab Muslim the wealthy Gulf states who will be part of the reconstruction process, which literally the moment the hostage release the prisoners are exchanged happens. Sterling. If the ceasefire can continue to hold, because it's just a twenty four hour ceasefire, then we get to talk about reconstruction and all the complicated arrangements. Does Hamas have to lay down their arms? Do they sign amnesty? Israel has already said they will be allowed to leave under safe escort to any country that they choose to go to, but still so many big questions. But we have ceasefire. People are walking home home. American leadership made this happen, and we will be signing on the bottom line and providing security guarantees. So we are involved in a major, major way.
Speaker 1: Former head of political science at Right State and now Professor merit to doctor Donna Schik was sterling on the Big one seven hundred WLW. This is a joyous occasion in the midst of what has been so much bloodshed, so many people homeless, you know, literally their lives just up heaved from what they had had previously, the loss of some twelve hundred lives plus those hostages taken on the seventh of October twenty three, so just a couple of days past that anniversary some two years ago when that took place. To now to some fragile piece, I guess, And fragile's the key word, doctor Schlahek, isn't it, Because I mean, this has been one of these things that every so often comes around. Nothing quite to this extent have we seen the destruction in the battle in the war trying to seek out homas as we've seen in these last this last period of time, but tenuous, I guess would be to say the least the piece, right.
Speaker 4: I think that is absolutely the right word. It's going to be fragile, and we have to now begin that process of making up the arrangements as we go along. And you know, the good news is we have current places that are rebuilding after civil wars and protracted conflicts Bosnia, certainly in Northern Ireland, there is a model for trying to put a you know, a hostile situation back into a functioning economy and even a local political system. But everything new will have to be invented. For GOSSA, the police forces, all of civil society will hopefully return and be participating, but so many of the function a decisions. Right now, Israel is pulling back to a line in which they'll occupy a little more than fifty percent of GASA. So we have a temporary ceasefire hostage exchange coming and then after that this is when the previous you know process has broken down. So we are at that very delicate moment for the what next steps. So keep an eye on on what is signed and promised in Egypt. It looks to me like it's going to be a long long process with an American involvement for security and aspects way bigger than the two hundred American troops who've just been mentioned. Amazing, i'd but that security guarantee that was demanded not just by Hamas, which was afraid that the shelling might resume, but also by Gutter, you know, the negotiating country who'd been leading the you know, being being the intermediary. Uh, they've demanded it too. So there's a lot of responsibility here for the United States to continue to police, to secure you know, go ahead and pick your verb of choice, but this is a big American commitment, and the vision for where we're actually going to end up it all has to be invented at this point, not from you know, not from absolutely you know, scratch, but nonetheless, everything will be negotiated from hereout. And the Israeli press has been talking about the fact that where things stand right now, they resume the right to do what's necessary to maintain security at that at the point where they're occupying. So there is no peace, there's not even a long term cease fire in place. So many wheels, so many you know, things in motion right now, literally twenty four to seven, but with the President flying there on Sunday, probably talked to the connestant on Monday signed something. In Egypt, things go on light speed, don't they. It reminds me of COVID. They had a light speed instruction and things are just hitting a pace right now that we've never really seen. So it's fragile. The American is the critical pivotal guarantee and President Trump will be personally signing the agreement, so we will know it as one of the most important moments in his second term in his presidency.
Speaker 1: It's a pretty amazing thing. And obviously I mean Trump leading the way there, his envoys working steadfast on all of that, a number of Americans in the midst of it, and also so many other countries in the region a party to this, which has not necessarily historically always been the case. So let's hope that the piece holds and a president can get there and get stuff done, and then we can talk start talking about the rebuilding and everything else in the days ahead. Former head of political science at Right State Cincinnati, kid doctor Dona Schlek from Right State now Professor Amerida. I want to shift this if we can to conversation and brief about the government shutdown, because this is into the second week, will be three soon. They are now not just people who are working for free and waiting for recoup dollars, you know, once the government gets their act together, but they're in the furloughs. But now there are apparently thousands of people being fired. I have a question in relation to all of this that I find interesting, and that what they've said is that it is going they're going to be firing people and going after agencies and things that are Democrat projects. What exactly does that mean when we talk about the federal government and what they're doing, if it's supposed to be for we all the people, I'm curious.
Speaker 4: I think that is a great question. I have wondered it no specifics at all that that would give us any clue who might be on that list. There's a question of its legality. This hasn't been done in previous shutdowns, so once again we're looking at another question of expansion of presidential authority. You and I know the lawsuits are being lined up right now as we speak. But Sterling, that's the question, are these you know, employees, are the people working on favorite you know, favorite programs, zero details from the administration.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a difficult thing. And because the government's here for everyone, it is not meant to be a one side or another isolated kind of thing. It's supposed to make all of our lives better and do the work the government has been you know, laid out to do for for we the people. So it'll be interesting, guess to see how it plays out as these talks continue. I mean, the politics of it is a big deal, and it's a he said, she said, or a whole bunch of he SAIDs going on at this point as far as pointing the finger of blame when that parties come together to find a way to get this done with opening the government again, Historically, what have we seen as that process gets done because they kick the can down the road. It seems, as long as I've been behind a microphone here going back to the late nineties.
Speaker 4: Kicking the can, I think that's as useful a metaphor as we're going to find. I imagine furloughed people will be paid. I think that has been the tradition. Your point was a very good one that you know, the civil service is meant to operate as administrations change. Right, So you may serve a Democrat, you may serve a Republican. You may have served both during your time in the civil service. And they don't write the policy. Their job is to implement it. That's what Congress does when agencies are created. But you want the continuity. You know, whether it is finding out if you're eligible or you have a social security question. Those things aren't being answered right now in anything within days, for example, when people might call in if you have a change of status. You're right, that's the heart of a civil service continuity across changes in administration. That that's why it is when you talk about terminating people under these conditions even more completely out of the ordinary. I keep reminding myself to get used to out of the ordinary. There is very quiet conversation going on, and some prominent Republicans have spoken up about, you know, the need to return the subsidies. So are we going to get a clean, ser reopened government. I think we'll call it a cr fluff because the Democrats have argued, and they're arguing somewhat persuasively to people that the support to people given the current cost of living remember that campaign in twenty four about the cost of living, housing, food, et cetera. To look at a potential doubling of your health insurance premiums is it's not bearable. That means people might be giving up insurance altogether. And when there are children involved, it's just it's the last outcome that you want to see when much of that healthcare is of the preventive nature. Anyway, to come back to your question, though, how will this one unfold? The market is not reacting happily. We have quiet conversations going on, more numbers, not massive, Republicans speaking out about the need to maybe take a look at that component the big bill and continue those subsidies in perpetuity. Probably not, but it says to me Sterling, what a complete loss of trust there must be in DC right now. Please reopen the government and then we'll have a serious conversation about healthcare. That's not sufficient. That's where we are.
Speaker 1: Well, it'd be nice to it'd be nice to see that the same focus and drive and what looks to be on the outside of this piece deal with Israel and Hamas, and that attention put to that which is obviously a topic a scenario globally could be turned to getting the government back to work so that our military families are veterans and all of us paying tariff taxes at this point don't have to worry about all of this. You know, where's the next meal coming from and healthcare and everything else, so we'll see that they get back to work. I hate to be brief, always insightful, great information, and I appreciate you you're lending your insights in perspective and doing what you do. Doctor Slake. I hope you enjoyed the rest.
Speaker 4: Of your weekend and you take care.
Speaker 1: Take care. She's doctor Donna Schlake, former head of political science at Wright State and Dayton professor Meridan Now she has a Cincinnati kid with Sterling on seven hundred WLW working tonight. I better step up my game, trying not to suck. You know what I'm saying, it's living better through lower expectations. Things got to stop. Liam producing telling me crazy stuff at home as he was coming up, because we're talking about the furniture being covered and everything else. Before we talked to Donna slag on that and a couple of people reach out, which is interesting. They message me to ask about the Detroit game, because see, the Reds aren't in. They're done. They're waiting for a tune up in a hot stove league action in the you know, goodyear, come spring and winter ball because they got to well, they went to the wildcard playoff and then they dropped a quick two in La and LA's played on. But apparently the time it took to reach out to me, they could have found out the score. But I'm here to help Tigers on the road in Seattle. After six they've doubled up on the Mariners two to one. They lead in this series that's tied two games to two. The division series looking to get to the league Championship series, which will continue on in the days ahead. Tomorrow night, it's Cubs and Brewers, their series also tied to to I don't want to spend a lot of time talking about it, but I try to service it because I know what's going on. It's happening, so is Bengals in Green Bay with Joe Flacco. We went from Joe's Tow to Joe Flacco with Jake Browning in between a horrible, ugly bat oh for three stretch there after a two and oh start again. Starting for the season has been one of those things over the last couple of years. Everybody's been like please, no, not again. But you know, given a choice dinged up Joe Tow or you know for three, I think people would have taken an oh for three or something and said, Okay, get out of the hole. But we'll see how it goes. Maybe Flacco will surprise some people with a couple of days to work with Chase if he's feeling healthy, and Higgins and company and to maybe find themselves a win at Lambeau in Green Bay comes Sunday afternoon. It's a late kickoff four to twenty five.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Full Uncovered starts with Ken Bruce Sunday at nine, and then of course tomorrow Bearcats look to get at a Central Florida at Nippert. It should be a good one and then we'll see if they can't keep the o their winning ways going and some big twelve actions. So yeah, there is that coming up. Kevin Carr, fat guys at the movies. You may know him as Silver Gecko on the Substack. We used to do the Chubby and Stick podcast together. That's still out there. I still get people messaging about the things we said there for wherever ago we'll get into his head about what's worth our time. Probably not so much at the drive in, though I know some drive ins are still open. But it's a little chili to do that. But maybe head of the theater do some streaming that's coming up after the news, the latest on a Tennessee explosion there at that factory munitions plant in the Middle East.
Speaker 4: Piece.
Speaker 1: There's so much other stuff going on in those big boats down on the river, like a flashback to the old days. I'd love to do a thing where we could do like a riverboat gambling and just go down the Ohio to New Orleans that way, but I think I'd probably get beaten and be broke before we got to Saint Louis, which that's maybe sharing too much information. Bengals play here, bear Cats play here, Musketeers play here, and those Reds too. It's news Radio seven hundred WLW, Cincinnati, Sterling hanging out lean, keeping me in line. Kevin Carr, fat guys at the movie Silver Get go on substack. You can find there. He even shows up neatly in your mailbox virtually with comics and random other things. Kevin, how are you? How is everything in your world?
Speaker 3: Things are going okay? You know, we're sort of you know.
Speaker 5: How you hit the steady state where you're like, okay, it's like spitting plates and none of them are copl at this point. So I guess that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. That's impressive. I cannot do that. I can barely just put them out of the dishwasher to the cabinet without throwing them onto the ground occasionally. So ah yeah, yeah, So listen, this is a strange time. The fall is full on.
Speaker 6: Here.
Speaker 1: We went from the eighties to now, like you know, sixty or whatever, fifties, thirties, forties at night.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we we really turned a corner, didn't we did.
Speaker 1: I mean it is officially long pants season for me, which is it's bittersweet because I try not to put the long pants on unless I have to.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: That means occasional business meetings, and I can even weasel away to shorts on those, but weddings and funerals people tend to appreciate the long pants. So here we are.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you don't want to you don't want to show up at somebody's I mean, unless they're having like a beach wedding. I guess you could show up in like Bermuda shorts. Yeah, but you don't want to like walk in and like like short short you know, remember the remember how short shorts used to be, like like in the seventies. Like even if you watch like old basketball.
Speaker 1: Games, yeah, old NBA games or CD, I mean.
Speaker 5: It was like you you know, the wrong camera angles and you get a flash of things you didn't necessarily want to see, or maybe you did. Yeah, maybe that's why you're watching the game.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know what percentage of the population would be tuning in just for a random peak, but you know, whatever it takes, I suppose, you know, I guess that's the case.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: There are still drive ins open. I've driven deliberately and checked online for a couple. Uh, so that's still happening, many of which have already turned to the horror genre to sort of like fill the needs and the once of the population and wants to show up and and check out a movie on the outside, going to the concession stand and everything. Uh, as far as that goes, when's the last time you went to a drive in?
Speaker 3: It's it's been a while.
Speaker 5: I would there was a there's a drive in up here in Columbus, and only I think only on in Columbus itself. I think there's a couple out in Lancaster or something like that. But I would take the kids now and then. It was just always fun. You can bring whatever, you know, snacks or stuff you wanted. It was kind of neat to just sort of sit there and watch the movie. It was I think the movie as it was one of the Planet of the Apes movies and a Transformers movie, so you know, that's the kind of stuff you watch. But no, you're right like the drive in during a horror time, watching spooky movies, and some of these will do like late night, you know, three four movies at a time. And then you can also back in the day, they'd have movies that only really went to drive in because they were so terrible. But those are they were like cheesy horror movies. There's one that's really famous. You can find the trailer on YouTube. It's called were Wolves on Wheels and it's about a biker gang that turns into werewolves and the trailer is amazing.
Speaker 3: The movie's terrible.
Speaker 1: All in the trailer. I mean that it was one of those things. I guess it sounds so werewolves driving around Now after they turned on the full moon to the wolf, did they still drive or did they leave their rides behind and then have to find them.
Speaker 5: No, no, there's there's literally a werewolf riding a motorcycle at one point. In films, it's you get to that point and you're like, Okay, there you are. There's the name of the movie. Rest of the movies terrible and it's funny. I met a guy from Germany who knew about the movie, had never seen it because he only wanted to see it projected on film at a theater, but get that print sent to Germany was cost prohibitive, and he was very jealous of me that I had actually seen it at some stupid movie marathon.
Speaker 1: You had no idea how good you had it. Globally, the people pain and suffering and wishing they could live the life of car which we were talking to Kevin Carr, by the way, so forget go on Substack. I know Adam's family in Scream, the original movie with David Rcatt and Nev Campbell, who's great. Courtney clar Cox is showing it at Starlight. I had friends telling me they were taking the kids tonight or I think or tomorrow.
Speaker 5: Well, which which which Adams family is it? Is it the just the first the big screen movie or or the cartoon?
Speaker 1: It's the No, it's the movie that has uh Ral Julia, Yeah, Angelica Houston, Christopher Lloyd Yeah. Yeah. So I guess they're going to do the double. Then they got like little kids, So this is going to be one of those memories. I would imagine those kids take with them the way we do from like forever ago. So that's kind of cool. Uh as far as regular film stuff goes, what's worth our time actually venturing to a theater where you can sit down by a thirty eight dollars thing of like popcorn and in a beverage Doctor Pepper in my case with a Cather.
Speaker 5: Well, you know cause the only movie the movie I saw this week because I get one big movie a week, and the one I saw this week is pron Aries, which is the latest Tron movie. And like the other Tron movies, they're they're great conceptually and visually, stories aren't fantastic, and the characters are kind of you know, two dimensional, even though it has three D graphics, they don't have three D characters, but it is a feast for your eyes. This New Tron movie, just like Tron Legacy was. If you're gonna go see it, go see it and see it in that Imax, see it in a big theater because it has it is the most impressive two hour nine inch nails video you're gonna see music video.
Speaker 1: And then they kind of.
Speaker 5: Just throw in some characters at a certain point, you know, but it's it's it's it's okay for a movie, but it still is worth seeing because it's it's it's just really super cool. It was the best way to describe it.
Speaker 1: So Jillian Anderson, Jeff Bridges in this version or this edition, I guess of the Tron series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, the basic story is Jared Leto plays an AI soldier program that they can three D print into real life, but he can only the only last these three prince only lasts for like twenty nine minutes, and they're trying to find the code that allows them to be permanent, so you can go into the real world and basically just become Jared Leto, which I don't know if that's a goal that anyone or any program should have. But that's the basic justst of the movie.
Speaker 4: And it's, uh yeah, it's it's.
Speaker 5: It has a really good cast too. I mean you got uh Greta Greta I think it's what Greta Lee who plays She she's sort of the hero in this one. And you you mentioned Gillian Anderson is a relatively small part. Uh same. Jeff Bridge just pops in there because he has to. It's a Tron movie. He's got to show. Bruce Boxlaer does not show up, which is sort of on how is it disappointed in that? But I mean it's it's honestly, it's it's got some of the coolest video visual effects that you're gonna see probably until Avatar.
Speaker 1: Comes out at least how much a nine inch Nails is in it? And I just had two people paying me at Stirling Radio on ex or Twitter, whatever the hell people want to call it, and they're saying, what about what about the nine inch Nails like ego, Well.
Speaker 3: No, they do the soundtrack. The music is there now.
Speaker 5: I mean it's sort of like if you remember Tron Legacy, they had Daft punk to the soundtrack and so there was a there's a big part. We actually saw Daft Punk in one of the scenes.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: So Nine Inchails and they have some some songs if you want to hear them singing. They have a full soundtrack available. You can find it on Spotify and Amazon Music, Unlimited and stuff or wherever you listen to.
Speaker 3: Yeah, l right, heart, you don't.
Speaker 1: Be fired don't get me fired out, thank you, thank you. Yah.
Speaker 3: Yeah that works as well.
Speaker 5: But but yeah, no, it's but but it's a techno thing, but it has that Nine Inch Nails edge to it.
Speaker 1: Sure because.
Speaker 5: Because Resnor and Ross, they they are like executive producers.
Speaker 3: Of this, okay movie?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, all right, yeah, got a hand in everything, I suppose. Yeah, that may kind of makes sense. Why not you know anything else? Like what are you watching streaming wise? Because we usually talk theater stuff in movies, But I mean there's so much streaming and we I've joked about it for a long time. Kevin Carr by the way, so sober Gecko on Substack, Fat Guys of the movies with Sterling on the big one. But I mean there are so many one places to stream new product or content. What what's caught your attention. What are you into because I mean it's endless.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, no, I've I like you said, I'm not. I'm not at a point where I'm watching as much stuff as I used to, and I'm I'm a little behind on things like I'm I'm a couple episodes behind on Peacemaker, and I really like Peacemakers fun. It's a cool show because it plays around with comic book stuff that you don't normally see, and it's got a lot of adult content in there. Now I know, I think they just dropped the season finale, but I think two episodes behind, so I got kind of like the one of the big reveals. But it's it's it's it's a great show. I really like Peacemaker. I've been watching The Paper. Have you watched The Paper yet?
Speaker 1: I've seen the first episode and I will get to the rest of those. It's nice one. It's Ohio, right and too, it keeps caring. It's still Ohio. I think our Willie went to college there at least for a minute. And so the Glass City, as they say, but it's interesting how they show that the transition the way they were selling the paper products in this case, this paper trying to time so you cannot hear me. Hello, we lost Kevin somehow or he lost us. I don't know what the deal is there, are you there? Someone changed around who knows. Let's see if we can't get him back or whatever else. That's very weird that that would happen in that circumstance. But either way, Yeah, the paper I think is really good. I mean there's so much stuff that sort of goes along with it at this point, conjuring. There's all the the new conjuring last rites, which I think is really good. I like all the conjuring stuff just in general. I think it's kind of cool. You got Amiga and it's you know, American and Ukraine all the other stuff. And there's some other things too. Okay, Kevin, let's you got your back there?
Speaker 3: Mate? I am here still, yes, now, I am okay.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to think of what we you.
Speaker 3: Last we're talking about the paper, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So, I mean it's showing that transitional period that media is in in so many ways now and then trying to find a way to make it viable and something that people want to like see field touch read bystream or whatever, click on right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and a lot of it.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's not just about the death of newspapers because there is a financial you know, it's it's a lot cheaper to run a website. But it's showing kind of the behind the scenes that that even though when you go to a digital version it can get very clickbaity, it can get very and you start to blur that line of what real journalism is versus influencing, and that's that's a theme in there. But it's done in a very whimsical way, and it of course does remind me of The Office in a lot of ways. It is it's very derivative of the Office, but that's okay, it's the same creators. I'm not a big fan of Esmeralda. I think she's a little bit too much. But Tim Keye's fun in it because he's sort of on the same side as her, but he's a little more subtle. But it's warming up a bit to me. And I mean Donald Lison is great in it, and the rest of the cast is good. But again, yeah, you are kind of getting that Office spinoff, which is essentially what it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: Very cool now one of the other things, the Toxic Avenger thing that came out and then was sort of re released that streaming now along with twenty eight weeks or twenty eight years later. I get confused. And then the most gleeful I've heard you about a movie in a long time was the Superman movie that's also streaming now.
Speaker 3: So that's HBO Max now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So there's a whole bunch of those that we may have not getting gotten a chance to go see in a theater that people can enjoy it at their own leisure on their device a choice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I speaking of James Gunn and Peacemaker. I mean that's he did Superman and there's some connective tissue between that and Peacemaker. So yeah, no, I mean it's it's a you know, you feel like you're in a bad position because on one hand, you're like, oh, this is really cool, this is all coming to watch it home, but then you didn't go see it in the theater, right, you know, So I feel bad when that happens. But no, it is nice when you're at home alone late at night and you're like, hey, want to watch something.
Speaker 3: You're like, oh, I can catch this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and catch up, which it seems like I'm constantly in ketch up mode. Always good to talk to you, man, Thank you for making time. I know you don't have to do this, and I know that you're busy. He's Kevin Carr, He's silver Gecko on the substack. You show up in the mailbox. Or do the comics? I had somebody ask me, without being too technical, how is it that you do the comic? Answered?
Speaker 5: I just write the comment. I write the jokes, and I sketch them out and the sketch looks kind of like you've written it with your own waste material in a padded room on the walls. But then my son then does the commy. He draws it. But it is a collaborative process because I usually land the jokes and have to You have to pace. You get four frames, you get four snapshots in time to do it. And it's evolved, and we're just getting ready to publish our first compilation book and a background of it on which which I'll let you know when that happens. It should be happening in the next week. And then you can look into the twisted minds of me and my son as we put these things together.
Speaker 1: That's very cool. It's a good to check him out and you can find him and to get him sent to your box too. Silver Gecko on substat Kevin Carr, thank you man. Enjoy the rest of your weekend with the family.
Speaker 3: Car all right, thank you. You have a good weekend too.
Speaker 1: Take care of yourself. More Sterling coming back five one three seven eight hundred the big one. We'll get into some issues of well AI which he made allusion to, as well as parents rules and much more coming up here on a Friday night seven hundred WLW had three one seven hundred WLW. You know what, Mallen, I don't know to be determined because I got a window into a hallway and no one tells me things. How you doing at Sterling weekend? Here Friday night? Coming up, we'll talk on strange parents rules that we all had to endure and then somehow, at some point maybe you've become the parent and then you've added the weirdness of those rules. Coming up. Also, we'll talk on AI in to how it's maybe improved or changed your work situation and if they're really coming for our jobs, how many of us or how will it affect us that it could be a tool for good, not just for evil and taking opportunities away. So we'll to address that just a little bit as well. So there's a good bit of ground to cover. And in the best of five Division series, Tigers and Mariners in Seattle Detroit and the Mariners are knotted up at two in the top of the eighth and it is a best of five series, so this is win or go home. Before the Championship Series, the winner will play the Toronto Blue Jays, and of course in the National League, then you get a situation of Cubs Brewers and one of those will then get to face off on Tuesday either against the Dodgers. Cobs and the Brewers and the Dodgers. I think that's how that plays out in the Championship series, if I'm not mistaken. Yeah, that sounds right, I think, yeah, I'm pretty sure. All right, Straightawaite news, and then we'll get into a bunch of other stuff as well as some insights in perspective you may have missed in a conversation with doctor Donald Schleck about the Israel Homas piece, the fragility of that the government shutdown, there's a lot of things going on, a lot of juggling taking place, and the President going to be making his way to Egypt. If I'm not mistaken to sort of be there in person to sort of make sure that this peace process moves forward. It is a monumental situation in the midst of a government shutdown gets even deeper here at home as well. Time for news Sterling coming back. Glad you're here. Friday Night Nation Station where the football Bearcats get at it. Tomorrow at noon Nippered against Central Florida and Big twelve Action and Sunday Hooday on the road in Green Bay. Take on those packers with Flacco under center. This is seven hundred double oh had weird thing. I touched on this briefly earlier. Neighbors kids complaining about the grandparents house and plastic covers on furniture and runners on the floor because they got new furnishings and new flooring and they want to keep it as nice as possible for as long as possible. And I was talking the neighbor well the kids where they're whinding about going to grandparents' house, and I flashed back to being one of my aunt and uncle's houses. And then also one of my friends the neighbors. As a kid, growing up as a tiny sterling of a very similar circumstance which I never understood. I mean, you want to keep it nice and kids are inherently messy just by nature. Because I haven't really grown out of the sloppy part. I'm trying though, maybe a little late for me. But if you're going to buy new furniture, if you've ever been you know, lucky enough to have new furnishings or whatever, you want to come home from work, whatever, you enjoy your new sofa, you walk on your new floors, how quiet, how nice and warm heated floors. Whatever it is, covering it up seems to ruin it. It's a weird thing, but apparently fairly common. Five point three seven four nine seven thousand, eight hundred The big when you can pick up the phone, give it the finger. If you're checking us out on the iHeartRadio app, you can click on that microphone leave a message there and I'm on ax. No, it's not the nineties party drug. It really isn't. It used to be Twitter at Stirling Radio. You can get involved that way as well. One of the other things that I came across that is pretty weird. And I can remember this. There was a girl I was probably it had to have been seventh or eighth grade, so at that point we're like, what fifteen, thirteen, fourteen somewhere in there, and a girl I would sort of hang out with through homework with it and so on. She wanted to get her haircut and do it a different way, sort of like a punk rock kind of haircut or whatever else, but they would not let her get her hair trim, change it or anything. I think her older sister had done something and jacked up her hair, and I mean they they were like insane about it. She'd talk about it and it would become like a big preaching moment of you're not touching your hair, you're not ruining your hair, you know, And I'm like, Okay, that's kind of not the life I grew up in, but that's what she was doing. So I'm wondering what strange house rule did you have as a kid growing up at your place or your grandparents' house, and maybe rules that you have that your kids would scratch their head about and ask you, you know, to not do something or whatever or think would be strange or weird the other thing that jumps out at one of my relatives' houses. I'm not gonna say which, aunt uh, if it was raining like a thunderstorm or whatever. She didn't want anyone on the telephone. I don't know if she thought we were gonna get electrocuted or whatever. And I filled with questions. I still am. It's sort of probably how I wind it up on the big one. So I'd ask, what's gonna happen with house gets hit by lightning? Are we gonna get shocked? What's gonna happens? Going to ruin the phone? And she never really gave me an answer. And I've talked to other people about that, and I think a generation or two ago that was a fairly common thing. So I don't know if you've ever dealt with that or not. I mentioned it to my mom some years ago and she goes, oh, yeah, people did that, but it was never that way in my house five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, eight hundred. The big one strange house rules as a kid that you had to endure, live through or and you never understood or maybe made great sense. Subsequently to Anderson and Earl was sterling on the big one. Hey earl.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'll tell you what. I had probably the strictest grandparents growing up. They lived in Norwood. In Norwood, and they go in her house. They had a she had a doll collection that was all enclosed to this glass cabin and I, you know, I looked at it and couldn't touch him. If you did, she'd have behold it. She had plastic cover, plastic cover on her couch if you sat on a couch in the summertime, they didn't, We didn't have then. It was so damn hot. The chairs at the dining room would be covered in plastic. I mean, I you know, that was the old sixties stuff, you know, the older people in the fifties and sixties, and you couldn't touch anything. You had to take your shoes off when you come in and walk around. And I went over there three times. That was it to see my grandparents. I stayed away.
Speaker 1: Oh you're kidding. You never you didn't go back. Now when they would come to your house, did they act weird because you weren't living the same hermetically sealed, plastic covered life.
Speaker 7: Not really, And they'd just come over once in a while, you know, we never seen them because they would be working too. But man, the plastic all over the place, and I'm going, you know, you never have to clean it.
Speaker 3: All is to do is the white throf for the damp cloths.
Speaker 7: But holy cow, I mean the cushions were covered in plastic, the armrests, the whole couch is the back.
Speaker 3: Do you know weird?
Speaker 1: I always, yeah, it is common. I guess there was of a certain time. I'm wondering, and no one can never give me an answer on this that when the kids weren't around, when we weren't there, did they uncover stuff so they could at least enjoy their hard work and what they paid for the nice stuff they wanted to keep nice? Or did they not get to enjoy it too?
Speaker 7: This was permanent plastic on the couch and on the chairs, on the back of the chairs chairs.
Speaker 1: Wow, so they you know, that's that's weird. They didn't get to enjoy either. No, I mean that's sort of defeats the whole purpose. I mean, you may as well just cover the dirty stuff and forget about it. That's weird. Ray, I appreciate the call of your old Thank you man, I thank you, earl. I appreciate it. Rain Mainville was Sterling on the Big One. What strange house rules did you have coming up or maybe that you had for your kids.
Speaker 6: Well, this was when I was growing up. I had I was the baby of the family. I had two older brothers, and uh, my dad had a policy that we just thought was normal. It was just, you know, what was held in most households, but I think it was somewhat unique. Now, whenever there was a disagreement between any of the U, any of me and my brothers, we would put on boxing gloves and we would, uh, we would duke it out until there was a U you know, someoney lost and then it was done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that dealt with it. That's not a bad way to go.
Speaker 5: Ray.
Speaker 1: I appreciate the call. That's pretty good some times, you know, you come to blows, you just get it done, knock it out and carry on. Ali and Hyde Park message here on ex at Stirling Radio says that she grew up, uh, and they weren't allowed to have their cat or dog in their bedrooms for some reason, to sleep with them. I don't and that's all she says. So I don't know the rationale behind that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: The only, and she says she's grown now and she doesn't care what her kids do does with with the pets. I guess in that regard, So Ali, thank you for getting online and interacting that way too. I remember, and uh I my one aunt would come over and I found out subsequently she was fearful of the wives tale that cats would take your breath away, like in your sleep or whatever. So I can remember when she stayed at the house when I was a kid, when we had cats and dogs and menagerie. I mean, I've had a box turtle since I was eight that will likely outlive me, so I mean there was always, you know, some broken, battered animal that we had rescued, and you know, in a litter of dogs or cats trying to find homes. It was chaos. And she'd be like, please can get the cat out from under the bed or whatever. And as a kid, I'm like, why, what's the cat gonna do? Leave when she's ready? It's like, no, you gotta get her out of there. So my mom then tells me, and then my aunt finally sort of begrudgingly admitted that she was afraid that the cat in your sleep would take your breath away, even as a grown woman. And then I started badgering her about that, which I probably shouldn't have done, but I just thought it was the funniest thing I had ever heard, and apparently there are still people who have that kind of mindset to go along with it. Somebody else here sent me I think this this came from another story, said that apparently they weren't allowed to use lights after ten o'clock, lamps, TV, nothing electronic or electric late, other than to go to the bathroom. I don't know what that means. I don't know if that's a conserving thing, if maybe it was grandparents or something right growing up in hard times, or maybe the post depression here a kind of scenario or what I mean. I don't think it was blackout like we were at war and you know back in World War two, where you know, you put stuff over your windows and things so that you know, if they were coming over bombing or something, you wouldn't see where the targets were or something like that. So I'd love to know if that's actually what that was. So hit me back and let me know that that's kind of odd. What is a stranger unusual house rule? As a kid coming up that you could couldn't have maybe pay attention to one thing or another, couldn't you know, do have access to or whatever. It's kind of odd. I did a search here also and looking to see and there are no shortage of lists that sort of go along with this topic, so which is kind of odd. One of these here says they had to drink a huge glass of milk every morning as a kid because the parents believe that they would help them grow tall. Well, I mean that kind of makes sense. I mean, you know, dairy, you want to drink milk. Mom was a fan of milk too, But it says being lactose intolerant, it was not a good circumstance. It was almost child abuse. So yeah, okay, you got to draw the line on how you get like your vitamins and stuff. I guess in relation to that, that could be pretty tough circumstance too, that you have to deal with.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 1: Other one that goes along with this is they always had to it says here. Alex says they always had to open the curtains in the morning so that everybody could, like you know, be up and about and the house was wide open. And then they have to close them after dark. Okay, I mean that that's I guess that could be a strange house rule. I don't what light you let them in and not so much more aptor Jim at your turn was Stirling on the big one. Do you have strange house rules growing up as a.
Speaker 3: Kid, I have three of them.
Speaker 8: I allowed to give three.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 8: Number one is we weren't allowed to go swimming unless it was eighty four degrees, So we used to sit there and watch the weather report and if it wasn't eighty four degrees, we could not go swimming.
Speaker 1: How did they come up with eighty four not eighty five?
Speaker 3: Round?
Speaker 8: I had no idea. It was my mom's rule. Second thing, and this is going to be strange. We weren't allowed to flush the toilet. My mother would always want to see. You know, I don't know, this is gonna sound weird, but what was in there? And we used to have to take a laxative like every day too?
Speaker 1: Oh wow?
Speaker 8: And that was that was kind of strange.
Speaker 1: So I guess you kept your movements working. That's pretty what I remember as a kid hearing a thing. This is like in the seventies and eighties. If it's brown flushing down at the yellow, let it mellow. I guess which was to conserve water because nobody wants like it. You know, a toilet filled with stuff.
Speaker 8: I keep saying that to my wife now and she gets mad at me about that.
Speaker 1: I think you could have born a flush right, get rid of it.
Speaker 8: Well, I don't know. When you get older, you go about fifteen twenty times. That's a lot of flush, and that's a big water bill.
Speaker 1: That's true. What's your third one? You got two so far there's no flushing and then there's no swimming unless it's eighty four.
Speaker 3: What was the third well?
Speaker 8: And the last it is that I would just sit there and throw it away. Yeah, she would give it to me, and you know, I just thought it was kind of weird and crazy. So I you know, I guess you're supposed to have a thing, you know.
Speaker 1: Just eat more fiber, I would think, rather than the lax of that's pretty wild, Jim. I appreciate you sharing, and I appreciate you being comfortable enough to share, because that is a little different, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Nothing I know, I.
Speaker 8: Know that probably the weirdest thing you'll hear tonight.
Speaker 1: That's all right, that's we'll see how it goes. Jim, I appreciate the call, Thanks for listening, man being a part of the show quick Break, we'll come back. What is the strangest rule growing up at the house that you had to endure with your parents or grandparents? And what about your kids and maybe while they look at you and whatever rules you've composed on them. It's a weekend Friday night, Sterling seven hundred wlw EX coming up about five minutes, Travis Lair to the latest on those nineteen missing and that munition's plan explosion in Tennessee, and there's a peace in the Middle East. President Trump going to be jetting off to Egypt to try to navigate to the rest of that process, and a whole lot more to get to on a Friday night Sterling. Glad you're along. I was talking a little bit about the strange rules at the house growing up as a kid and what you've had to navigate or endure. Five point three seven four nine seven eight hundred the big one. You can talk back by the way the iHeartRadio app as well and at Sterling Radio on x if you'd like to get that way too to clipton with Judy, Tommy and George. We'll try to get everybody in here before the eleven o'clock report. Judy, how are you hi?
Speaker 9: I have two of them. My mother would always wait until my father got home to give me a spanking, and I would go in the bathroom and lock the door and they would get the key and unlock it. And then the other one was I had twin beds, and my mother would would take the covers off of both beds at the same time.
Speaker 4: She wouldn't just.
Speaker 9: Leave one with a different setter sheets on the beds. They had to be washed together.
Speaker 1: I had to match all the time too. So but you never missed sleep because of that, right, She just do it like before you went to bed. It wasn't like bedtime. She'd yank them off and then make you just like sleep on the floor or anything, right now. Okay, well that's good. That would be bad, Judy. I appreciate the call. I don't understand the whole thing there with the start of that, But what are you gonna do to Avondale? Jordan was starling seven hundred WLW Strange house rules you had to deal with as a kid coming up.
Speaker 10: Man, what's going on?
Speaker 8: Stela?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 10: We had two rules, man, when the thunderstorm was going on, we had to turn everything off and be quiet because God was doing his work. And then the other one was when I went to the bathroom like that, Like you said, your mother always want to see what your movements was, so that's something we had in common.
Speaker 1: That's the second time. Yeah, I've never heard that.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: She wasn't trying to like force Fijia like black satives though.
Speaker 10: Right, no no no no no no no no no no no. That was different.
Speaker 3: That was different.
Speaker 1: That was different too, Jordan. I appreciate the call and you're listening and to being a part of the show. Man, Thank you. I hope you call back. Take care of herself, that's good. That's why the whole thing with the electricity, I've heard that before, and that's like an older generation thing. Like now, I don't know anyone who shuts everything off stays off the phone one because we have everything so you know, so like wireless as cellular and everything else. I mean, but I clearly can remember like being at friends' houses, in my one ant's house, Man, a thunderstorm, don't get on the phone, get away for the phone, phone off, don't touch the phone like okay, And I guess the thought was that the if there was lightning, it would somehow reach through the phone line and then get you, which is pretty wild and it's never come to fruition. But there was a time when I think there was a power surge at the house and it ate up what was supposed to to be the search protector and then killed like a cordless phone back in the day, So maybe there was some validity to it in the old school like wired phone days, which is not so. I mean, there's still some wired phones out there, but they don't want you to have They try to price you out of it so you can get to the hands free kind of scenario two coming up on the other side of your ten or eleven o'clock report, Travis Laird has News. We'll get into this AI thing. I want to know. One, has AI changed your life for the good or for the bad? Has it helped your work major life easier? Is it coming for your job? And then one that's being discussed now the levels of power and authority at the Pentagon and beyond is with our military and the idea of a kill switch in an engagement situation to finish the job, either letting AI determine whether or not to pull the trigger or to go ahead and move ahead with that violent act of whatever it is that the military is called to do, or leaving it on the back of the human soldier to make the decision in the end. My take on that simply is it depends on how the AI is programmed right. The human I would think in that situation, more often than not would be able to assess the situation and make a choice on their own. But we'll get into it on the other side of eleven o'clock report here Home of those football Bearcats in action tomorrow with a noon kickoff here on the Big One with the UCF at Nipport as well as Bearcats or a Bengals Sunday at Green Bay taking on those packers here home of the Reds, the Bengals, the Bearcats, the Musketeers and me Sterling News Radio seven hundred WLW Glad you're a long final hour together this fine Friday night, full on weekend Sterling hanging out seven hundred WLW LIAM keeping it online while time producing Travis Slayer the news for about twenty two minutes or so. Conversation from earlier doctor Donald Schlak, a former head of political science at Wright State now professor Meredith All had a breakdown. This Israeli Homas Deal for peace. President Trump making his way to that part of the world over the weekend to start the week there and hopefully a inch, a little bit closer to turning the corner on this more substantively. It's a fragile piece. Government shutdown happening as well. You know the talk of AI, and I guess the question is this real? Simple? Is your job? Say? From AI? That's the lead question here five point three seven four nine seven, eight hundred, the big one. You can talk back. I out radio, iHeartRadio app by Talk English sometimes for money. If you're streaming now that that's great, click on that microphone, leave a message. And if it's like not Friday night and it's like Wednesday, enjoy the show because it's already happened. You're limited the past. But I'm curious because AI is effectively I have friends that have kids that are in school and they are apparently battling them and when it comes to getting their work done and doing original work, not just using AI to do the writing for them, using it the same way you would be maybe going to the library or you know, the encycle ofpedia or dictionaries, whatever else that you happen to have. That's probably a bit of a struggle. I have friends and that are educators at the university college level, some that are in elementary like high school age two, and they tell me that it is a very challenging time trying to make sure that their kids, either they're literally their own children or their students grown or otherwise are in fact doing work or just basically regurgitating work that AI has done or gathered from out there in the ethos somewhere, and then provided to them on some type of screen, whatever device of choice that they happen to be using. But for most of us, AI has already probably helped in some fashion make our lives easier, more productive on the job, because it's doing things that was maybe previously were thought to be busy work, tasks that you didn't really want to deal with, that were sort of a headache, can make your writing easier, flow more effectively, etc. To communicate, and that's a positive. I would think overall, and research has come out. Experts who were supposed to know have talked about this and they say somewhere between forty to seventy percent give or take of our task will be changed and made different by artificial intelligence. And we already know from autonomous cars they'll park for us, they'll drive on their own taxis, etc. Deliveries with drones of food from a pick a service of choice, to even the drones and military use and technology we see right now in the midst of the conflict ongoing with Ukraine and Russia, and how those drones are being used so effectively. The battlefield of the future is now and what our men and women in uniform are training for, whether they are sitting in the desert outside Las Vegas in a cargo container, in a gaming chair, basically controlling what happening on the other side of planet Earth thanks to technology and satellite communicate, putting an end to threats elsewhere with a couple of clicks and a tap almost with the game remote, and that has been going on for the better part of a decade. It's just gotten better and more efficient at it. So the question along with this is when it comes to making decisions on the battlefield or going you know, in some fashion in wartime. And there's been numerous conversations had on this from Real Clear Politics, which is a great website by the way, open to debate a bunch of others. The idea of the human or AI kill switch, in other words, making the decision of yea or nay to eliminate a threat, to neutralize a threat. Let's call it what it is in that regard, which is killing the enemy, killing the danger, or what have you in that circumstance, and it's no longer a situation of is if you or I are in that environment of us assessing quickly what we're navigating to try to complete the objective in the task at hand, whether it's an engagement in a battle hand to hand or to the next step of trying to accomplish whatever goal has been set in for us that we have to do down the line is to you know, allowing us to have a brief moment to reflect and assess the situation or AI to make that choice for us. It's different if it's a drone. It's different if it's some other type of mechanized type of armament or what have you. Rather than in the hand of a human on the ground someplace or in the air someplace making a decision as to whether or not to hit that button that's going to effectively wipe off the face of the earth, that danger, that threat, that target, And so not quite as life and death generally when it comes to the shop floor or pulling merchandise, merchandise off to shelf someplace and fulfillment or making food. You know, not too long ago, and I've seen recently they've gone and backed away from it. There is a regional chicken chain that I loved very much that when you would go to the drive through, it's been probably a year or so ago. Part of it was I think accuracy in ordering. It was also about the fact that it was hard time for them to be able to get the people in the store to do the work. For one reason or another, the labor force was somewhat thinned, which made it a challenge to find the people to do the work. So when you'd go to the drive through, it was a technology that was asking what you wanted and also suggesting, you know, upgrades to whatever meal that you were getting, which a lot of us as soon as stuff has suggested about sixty seventy percent of the time, depending we say yeah, sure, we'll up upgrade for the larger fry, or for the extra chicken tender or the extra breast or whatever it is that you happen to be shopping for. That's common, and if I'm working the drive through, I may not think to ask that every time when I'm flustered, but that AI, that synthetic voice, that computer generated order taker is always going to ask because that's its purpose, and it will also correctly, hopefully take and hear what you or I ask at the drive through and taking that order and make it accurately on the screen, so that whoever is making that food and putting it in that to go container gets it right rather than having, you know, some more chaos and so forth. So there is a benefit that's changed the way they were doing their work. Recently. Last couple of trips, I've noticed they haven't been using it at the drive through, but they tell me that it's still being used back of house where they're doing fulfillment of orders, which is pretty interesting when you think about it. And I know a lot of chains have been trying to figure out exactly how to have that mechanization, that automation go into preparing some of the food as well, which could go sideways depending if things get kind of weird. It's still pretty important, I think, to have a human there. So what I'm curious about is whatever work that you do, wherever you are in the food chain of doing business, how AI has changed your job? Is it safe? Because to a certain extent, depending on what the AI is fed. And I had a futurist on maybe three months ago or so, a fairly known guy, and I said, if it's crap in, and it's going to be crap out in other words, as the AI is learning, and they say, we're going to cross that line sooner than later where it ends up taking in more and goes beyond what we have going on, and then can make a decision sort of like two thousand and one or twenty twenty one or whatever. My fear, of course, however irrational, is that eventually may decide that we are no longer necessary, that we the human is the problem in some fashion, which could be an issue since it's supposed to work for us. But then depending on what information the AI has big decisions and maybe government shutdowns and negotiations. I mean, there's really I could see applications of this making a whole lot of the stuff that we have to navigate where humans screw stuff up to where maybe the AI can make it smoother and easier and actually do better work for us. So is your forecast on the big one Cleitar night down to forty five? Well cans whether. I mean it had to come eventually right seventy So for your Saturday, Sunday and Monday closer to eighty, it's fifty six right now. It's your severe weather station seven hundred double well w great weekend weather for the River Roots Festival down along the Ohio and the Great American Ballpark, and it's just all those big boats. It was just just crazy, a lot of incredible food and a lot of great artists as well. I think Diggable Planets was in town the other day too. I think it was Thursday down there Yateman's Cove getting that done and playing there, which a whole bunch of others, which is kind of nice. And I just thinking back like the old times. You think about the history in Cincinnati and Porkopolis in the days when that was the way to travel was up and down the river, those river boats and all the stuff that sort of went along with it, And we're talking about AI and everything, and there may be be a benefit in a way for AI to be embraced, whether it's for weather and checking currents and whatever goes into navigating the Big River or the Ohio and on down to the Mississippi, et cetera. That those boats and those captains and those crews have to navigate the way the BnB river boats does on a regular basis and so on. It could change it, but you kind of get the vibe you're stepping back in time with that. You kind of think of like, you know, all those so traveling you know, sort of like poker games and Breton Maverick and and and just the history of it and really back in the day too, when you think about the just people trying to make their way north, the freedom and the underground railroad and all the history that Cincinnati brings from downtown to the way the city has grown on both sides of the river. It's a pretty interesting thing and an interesting time to be able to check that out. And I just wanted to mention that too. So if you get a chance, and even if you're just driving through and you happen to like notice during the day or even lit up in and around the city down by the river, all those boats. I mean, that's something that you don't see. In fact, many of us may not in our lifetime see any collection of those. Again, they had the tall boats. It's been I mean, I think it was like the late nineties one of the first times I had a chance to see it, and I mean it's spectacular and just pretty and they are much bigger they I mean, it just seems massive when you're up close and personal on them and everything that sort of goes along with it, which is pretty wild. So anyway, if you get a chance and you're on there, I think they're still scheduling some cruises and things to go along with that, along with all the great music that's a part of it and everything else too, So there is that to go through. I had Max, who messages fairly regularly at Sterling Radio on X was talking about the AIS. He's a plumber. He says, the AI is not coming for his job, although they do have cameras and stuff on a lot of the things that technology has helped to identify problems and sewer lines and different things like that. That has made their job more efficient and goes along with that too. So there is some benefit with technology, even though he's still hands and you know, dirty kind of job, but it's a pretty important one. Sanitation is important. And anybody who was listening earlier with people talking about the flushing and if it's brown, let let her flush it down, and if a yello, let it mellow and everything else can certainly relate to it. Yeah, the whole plumbing thing is Without plumbing, we're in dire straits. It's like going back to the dark ages and a whole lot of sickness and everything else. It's pretty gnarly to go along with that. So thanks for reaching out to appreciate it. The other thing too, there's a lot going on if you hadn't already heard in the news. Conversation with doctor Donna Schleck, former head of political science at right Stage. She's a Cincinnati kid now professor Mereda and she wrote the first textbook on terrorism and knows a little bit about peace process. Was there for the date and accords and everything going on with Israel hamas President Trump making the trip back to the Middle East to end the weekend endo the first of the week to sort of inch that forward and a little closer to a more permanent place of normalcy and hopefully opportunity for people to get back to their lives again and rebuild as hostages look to be returned and the remains of those who didn't make it after what happened October seventh to twenty three, and as I'm twelve hundred people killed, it's been very trying. So we'll talk to her about that. The government shutdown on the other side of your eleven thirty report in this weekend filled with a whole lot of other stuff happening too. Got to Central Florida coming in Big twelve matchup for the football Bearcats at Nippert There's a noon kickoff here. I will follow it to get you through, and then I think chick Ledwiko follows me after Tomorrow night, and then of course Sunday, Joe Flacco. We went from Joe's tow to Jake Browning under center, and we went from two to o to an oh and three stretch to two and three and now Joe Flacco former Raven beat the Packers as a Cleveland Brown a couple of weeks ago now in Tiger stripes in a whirlwind week will be in Green Bay with the Bengals and under center to get the start to hopefully do something that very few have done, which has beat the same team in the same season more than once in a different uniform. That's some irregularity and the Bengals not messing around and wanting to write the ship as they can to hopefully get to a place where the postseason is a reality because it was looking pretty ugly bad for a couple of weeks there. Hopefully they'll find their way. Conversation on the podcast that you can find James Rapine that I had with from Lockdown Bengals about that very issue to start the show, and that'll be up later on tonight, so you can check it out at your leisure. So straightaway, doctor Donishlake joins me, we'll talk on that and maybe have a chance to get into some emails and some messages to talking about the AI thing and also some unusual house rules. Seemingly a lot of people reaching out by way of a message at Sterling Radio on X two straight away the News, Travis Laird has it your eleven thirty report, right here on the home of your football Bengals, best Bengals coverage, and those Bearcats seven hundred WL