Speaker 1: Good morning and welcome.
Speaker 2: It's kind of surreal a little bit right now you're listening to let's Garden with Scott Berline. We can't garden, it's storming, there's smoke, but you can sure listen to us talk about gardening if you care to us, being me and Mark Wessell, my good friend across.
Speaker 3: From me here at the Studio's morning, Mark, good morning.
Speaker 2: You're chief horticulturist with Gardens Alive, correct, which is the parent company? I think I got them all spring Hill Nurseries, Brecks, Gurnees, Cavan Borgendane, Gardener's Supply, and then also Icley, which is more or less a wholesale specimen plant nursery on the.
Speaker 3: West and most of them good enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hit the major ones anyway, somebody's going to take offense at that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're not an offense. Yeah. Whatever. Can only know and remember so much.
Speaker 3: That's right. It's it's hard. I've spent my whole career there explaining who we are.
Speaker 2: A get difficult for me. Yeah, but it's a great company. Oh absolutely, Yeah, yep, good company, good good products.
Speaker 3: Good Uh you know, Scott uh So we acquired Gardener Supply, which is gardening accessories and tools and all this. So a lot of their material came into our warehouse, you know, just for photography purposes. And there's some fine things I just love to borrow, you know.
Speaker 1: Really, they don't give them to you.
Speaker 3: No, no, they don't give them too wow.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's some cool stuff. But you do really well in my garden.
Speaker 2: If it were up to me, Mark, I make sure you get a few things. Yeah, you keep you happy. I think that's hard. I think you're a little cranky this morning.
Speaker 3: Mark, Well, I didn't even go to bed last night.
Speaker 2: You traveled three days Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. Correct got in and then went dancing last.
Speaker 3: Night, dancing in the morning down here in Mount Lookout looking and it was every turn there was a tree across the road or flooded. It took a little longer than normal to get to from a deer to Mount Lookout.
Speaker 2: Parts of Cincinnati got slammed last night, five inches of rain in like an hour, hour and a half or something. In certain parts it was really isolated. It was like here they got five inches of rain, You got an inch and a half. No, no, no, that was oh early.
Speaker 3: That was early. And we I haven't even you know, measured it. Yeah, because it looks like it's going to before you.
Speaker 2: Got maybe four Yeah, I got a half inch and I'm what three miles the way the crow.
Speaker 3: Flnes the way the crow f wash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah, it was amazing. Cars were floating. News people were out, fire trucks back and forth.
Speaker 1: Every year.
Speaker 3: Yah, yes, summer, you know, these localized storms. But this year it's just, you know, at a different level.
Speaker 2: It really has been a weird year. And we must be way above on average rainfall some people. Yeah, which is scary because we always finished level. We always finished right at average, and that probably means we're in for like a wicked drought.
Speaker 1: Here before too long.
Speaker 3: I don't say that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping if I say it, it won't happen.
Speaker 3: It is funny how things equal out. It's temperature and rainfall.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just, uh, you know, the oscillations seem more extreme anymore than the than they used to be. I looked into the Canadian wildfires. We're on the edge of the smoke, whereas you know, Detroit, Minneapolis, Toronto, the East coast getting a lot more of it. So I looked into it. They say there's about eight hundred and eighty eight fires. It seems like a pretty precise number to just pull out of the air and then say about But anyway, about eight hundred and eighty eight fires nearly all started by lightning aggravated by heat and dry conditions, and a lot of them are very remote where they really cannot fight them, you know. So it's gonna depend on rain getting there to put these out.
Speaker 1: And a lot of them are in peat. I didn't know this.
Speaker 2: In the peat soil they have where they burn low and slow and nobody even knows they're there until they reach a point where they ignite.
Speaker 3: Boy, that's probably hard to put out a peat fire.
Speaker 2: I would think, so. I mean, you got to know it, you got to know it's there. Yeah, and then it's underground and it's moving like in veins, and yeah, I don't know if that's even a possibility.
Speaker 3: That fire in like the province of Quebec a few years ago, they just had to let it burn. And yeah, it was so remote, like.
Speaker 2: That coal mine fire in Pennsylvania that's been going on for thirty years, you know, and with no end in sight there, you know. Yeah, you didn't know about that. Yeah, and it was an old coalm I know, finished when I think, and I forget how it got started. But it's just burning under this town, and the town's basically a ghost town now, not entirely, but it just you know, smoke is coming out of various parts of the ground and it just keeps moving through all these old veins, and there's really nothing that can do about it. Yeah, I mean, the source of oxygen is from too many places to.
Speaker 1: Shut it off.
Speaker 2: But we've got I think, a very good show today. We have David Hoffman coming later on, who is inherited the the godfather role of Hoffman Nurseries used to be run by his dad, John, who is retired. John is a good Both John and David are great friends of ours. And they are Oh, they have to be the largest supplier of a wholesale plug supplier of grasses in the United States.
Speaker 3: Well if they're close, and they're probably the best known.
Speaker 2: Yeah, best known. They both get out everywhere. They're so generous within the industry and their knowledge. They're always trying new plants and they've pretty much are instrumental in getting more sedges into the market, which is really.
Speaker 1: A big deal.
Speaker 2: Maybe not to you know, typical gardeners, but certainly into you know the bigger, campusy new naturalism kind of gardeners.
Speaker 3: You know, sedges, that's I like sedges. But for some of the just average gardener, Yeah, it's just a green, grassy looking thing.
Speaker 2: Not all of them, not all of them. So there's a handful that are really showy. One of them we will all right, at least one of them, at least one of them from good you know, from me. Oh, that's right, I have it on my list, and I shared my list with you this time.
Speaker 1: That might not have been a great.
Speaker 2: IDEA reminder if you want to check out ron Rothis's Facebook page in the garden and follow along with people who listening to the show, you might do that in the Garden on Facebook our number eight hundred eight two three eighty two fifty five, especially starting around seven o'clock. Were very happy to take your calls. Yeah, calls, calls. Yeah, we can answer your question.
Speaker 3: No, make me last time, and I guess that's what it's going to take.
Speaker 1: Your complaints We will manage somehow.
Speaker 3: Call in and see what kind of hacks we really are.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, Mark We're gonna go ahead and take our first break. When we come back, we will dive into the National Days of Why because they have sixteen herbs and spices.
Speaker 1: How's that all right? Good? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I love herbs.
Speaker 1: Herbs and spices are great. We'll be right back this summer.
Speaker 4: Smarter with Jaws the just add water system. Just fill the bottle with water, insert of refill pod, and you're ready to clean. Jaws concentrate refilled pods instantly turn water into a powerful cleaner, pre measured for the perfect mix. Jaws streak free formulas, tackle glass kitchens, bathrooms, grand floors, and more, delivering great results without harsh fume. Did I mention as my favorite class cleaner Jaws better at cleaning better for you? Visit Jaws cleans dot com. That's jawscleans dot com.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: For years, I've been telling you about the advantages of the easy breed ventilation system, and it's so important to have controlled ventilation in our energy efficient homes. Now, multiple states building codes are requiring basement ventilation in order to get permits for renovations.
Speaker 3: Why.
Speaker 5: Because basements are a major source of air pollution. They need to be properly ventilated for a healthy home. Easy Breed Ventilation provides solutions at work in our code compliant call eight six six eight two two seventy three, twenty eight or visit easybreath dot com.
Speaker 4: Stop don't pay thousands of dollars to replace your ugly countertops, worn walkways, or pitt pool surfaces. Give them makeovers with dice coatings, decorative stone coding products, cost friendly, slip resistant dice stone finishes are easy to apply. Beautify both the inside and outside of your home with a durable stone surface that water and u V resistant. You'd say big bucks while transforming your home. Surfaces available online with free shipping from the Home Depot lows and Daich Coatings dot com. A flooded basement can destroy your home in minutes. Flooring ruined walls soak thousands of dollars in damage and your Some pumps the only thing standing between you in a disaster. But when storms hit, power fails and pumps quit, you need a backup, zalor backup. Some pumps run on a battery or even city water. With a Ventury system, every pump is tested and retested at the factory. Plumbers Trust salor a fourth Generation Company. They do things right. Don't gamble with your home protected with zalorssalarpumps dot Com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: I'm listening. I'm listening. You're listening to Let's Garden with Scott Berline. I'm listening to Mark wessel Blow Snows. Maybe you are that too. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Timing is everything, but we're back and there our number eight hundred eighty two three eighty two fifty five. Reminder.
Speaker 2: All the past shows, twenty of them now are available at Let's Garden Scott Berline at your favorite source of podcasts. So time now mark for our national days of Why.
Speaker 3: Do we do this? Favorite section?
Speaker 1: Yeah too, Why do we do this?
Speaker 2: Because sixteen herbs and spices I mentioned before, but also ten essential vitamins and minerals. So this is healthy, it's good for you. Huh yeah, what it doesn't make any sense? Okay, try not to think that we're going to talk about Earth. Don't think about it too much. Nah, maybe sometime, but not today, well maybe today, I don't know, but anyway. A national month of July fragile X Syndrome Awareness Month, Disability Pride Month, Independent Retailer Month, Get to your independent retail garden center and spend money, buy cool plants. We'll talk about cool plants soon. Cell Phone courtesy month, contract sewing month, Hemp month, the plant for every occasion, rope fabric cures, everything is that where they get CBD from from hemp?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, here's every everything. Anti Boredom month, Coolinary Arts month. You like coolinary arts, you're good at that stuff. And then it's picnic Month. I know what you're thinking. I forgot how to do a picnic, haven't done it in so long?
Speaker 1: What do I do?
Speaker 2: They made it easy for you, so all these other national days just lay it out on a on a on a plate.
Speaker 3: So to speak.
Speaker 2: Grilling month, hot dog month, Baked beans month, horse radish month, blueberry month, peach month, National ice cream month. The week this week is National zoo Keeper's Week. So that's near and dear to my heart. I know and love a lot of this. It's your holiday. Yeah yeah, I kind of technically am I was one uh at since at Potanical Garden End zoo it was was you were well, that was like when you first hire on, that's your you're zoo keeper, even if you're in horticulture.
Speaker 3: I thought maybe they fired you.
Speaker 2: Now now they chased me away from the monkeys or whatever. So, you know, this week doesn't come with a lot of stuff that I can work with. It seems like when people are saying get all excited about making a national day of you know, I say, hey, let's make a national day for butter or whatever it might be. They all want to, like aim at the beginning, they're like, let's do it January first.
Speaker 1: You know, It's like, no, it's too soon.
Speaker 2: Let's make it January tenth or you know, Mark Archer at the latest.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: So it kind of thins out here in July. But there are a few None of them are really fun, or a few of them might be. But there's Sour Candy Day this is today, Sour Candy Day and Caviar Day.
Speaker 1: So we're the.
Speaker 2: Two extreme and the spectrum of the food spectrum there. I don't care for either one all that much. Tropical Fruit Day though, I do like that, yep. And for Southern listeners, you can even grow some of those things. That's kind of fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially if you live in South Florida. You can grow lots of tropical fruits.
Speaker 1: And enjoy them. Yep.
Speaker 2: It is also toss away that could have and should have day. So you know I'm tossing away that couldn't have and should have is probably going to become a could have should have.
Speaker 3: For Yeah, that's I embrace could have should have? Makes me who I am?
Speaker 2: How are you going to improve if you don't aren't full of good haves and should have?
Speaker 1: Woody Wagon Day, so get I.
Speaker 3: Don't know what that is actually like a call a stoga wagon.
Speaker 1: I doubt it, but who knows. I didn't look it up. I should have.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, Sunday, July nineteenth, ice Cream Day, Play Day. Sorry too busy, I've got a card and no time to play.
Speaker 1: Dacre Day. I like.
Speaker 2: Words with Friends Day. Now, this is a day for friendly competition and small wordplay.
Speaker 1: Mark. I think we should try this after the show.
Speaker 3: I think we do enough here.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think we should try it here. We might get hurt.
Speaker 2: Monday, July twentieth, Moonday, Come memories the day man first walked into Moon in nineteen sixty nine.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, what up? How'd they do that?
Speaker 2: I don't know. They're still trying. They're having a hard time figuring it out now, even though we did it. Get out of the doghouse day, Why I'll just wind up right back in Pennsylvania Day. I like Pennsylvania. You like pen It's just too damn long. It's very long, long, long state to drive through. Lollipop Day, Fortune Cookie Day. I don't even read them anymore. They're just depressing.
Speaker 3: No, they the quality of the fortunes have. It's like this factory produced.
Speaker 1: It's a fortune. It's AI. You know, I think they're just.
Speaker 3: Well, even before AI, something happen.
Speaker 1: Right, You're right, they just got lazy, took us for granted, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: July twenty first, Tuesday, Junk Food Day. Something I can get behind and something they good in my behind? Be someone day. Take seconds to make a difference in a child's life, or really anyone's life. Why just kids? Too many things just get wasted on kids. Seriously, if you can make a difference in a kid's life, do it exactly. Yeah, you know, it doesn't take that much most of the time. Wednesday, July twenty second Mango Day, and then fragile X Awareness Day, So both the month and then the day on Wednesday, and then and then Panucci.
Speaker 3: Fudge Day, Panucci fudge.
Speaker 2: Creamy candy with an Italian name. I think it might be French, but they say Italian maple flavor. The oldest fudge ever created, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, milk, and sometimes nuts.
Speaker 1: Sounds good. Yeah, fudge and it's also Hammock Day.
Speaker 2: So Sarah Geigerbiam if you're out there, get in that hammock years Yep. Thursday, July twenty third. Oh, this is a good one. Gorgeous Grandma Day. I'm like, that's nice, but what about the just the grandma's with nice personalities?
Speaker 3: Gorgeous, gorgeous. We're all gorgeous and beautiful in some fashion, not everybody's. There's even a nugget in the even.
Speaker 1: The worst of the worst.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're an optimist, very very positive guy.
Speaker 3: After I get over the should haves and would have if I only had, I am an optimist.
Speaker 1: Vanilla ice cream Day, I'm like, Okay, Vanilla's great.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Vanilla's is better, but man, I like flavors, you know, top it with some sprinkles.
Speaker 3: Oh, you know, speaking of ice cream and mangoes.
Speaker 1: Mango ice cream is good.
Speaker 3: I'm going to go get my free Sunday at Graters.
Speaker 1: Because it's their birthday. Yes, happy birthday to you.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's just gonna tell people that not in Cincinnati, Greaters is like the best ice cream place in the world.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And uh and also back to mango. Sometimes the the South Florida mango crop ripens around my birthday and for a birthday present to myself sometimes I get a single layer case shipped in from down there. Fresh mangoes are so del.
Speaker 2: You're so good to yourself, I am. Yeah, you deserve it. Yeah, even though yeah, yeah, National Refreshment Day. This day toasts those moments of ice cold refreshment, especially a nice cold beer which sounds nice like maybe during the World Cup game today for third place today, well that's the third place game.
Speaker 3: Oh I didn't even know they played, Yeah they do.
Speaker 1: Isn't that interesting?
Speaker 2: And then tomorrow, of course is the the final, which uh they might be playing it in you know, campfire smoke. That might be interesting. It's also Lemon Day. Finally, wrap it up, Friday, Tequila Day, Cousins Day. I've got great cousins.
Speaker 1: You got good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's Amelia Earhart Day. And then drive through day. So Tuesday was junk food Day and now drive through Day. It's too easy to get oversized or upsized in this country.
Speaker 1: And then last, but not least, Thermal Engineer's Day.
Speaker 2: And I'm glad they get a day because otherwise I wouldn't ever think of thermal engineers.
Speaker 1: But they're out there doing their things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't never get enough credit, and it.
Speaker 2: Certainly improves our lives. You are listening to Let's Garden with Scott Berline. When we come back, we're going to talk about our favorite plants right now and some other things. It'll be awesome.
Speaker 1: So stick around.
Speaker 5: It's hardest fly ribbons that get stuck to everything. Well, you'll love the newest fly trap from Rescue called Flypad. Flies are lured to the trap with special colors and patterns, and thanks to an innovative ridge surface, it keeps your fingers away from the glue. Flypad can be used anywhere you need fly control. Flypad is a sticky fly trap that won't stick to you. Flypad is made in USA by the makers of the popular Rescue flying Yellowjacket traps. Learn more at Rescue dot com.
Speaker 4: Hey, if your rate to strip paint the smarter way reach for Dumont's Smart Strip Advance paint remover. It's available in a non aerosol spray powered by advanced bagon valve technology. This powerful water based formula cuts from multiple layers of late tax acrylic oil based paints, varnishes and stains one application. Best of all, it's non flammable and free from harsh chemicals. It's ideal for indoor outdoor projects. Smart Strip Advance non aerosol Spray is available at participating Sherwin Williams and Do It Best retailers or Dumont Global dot com.
Speaker 1: And welcome back. Good to have you here.
Speaker 2: I'm here with Mark Wessel, chief Ford culturist at Gardens Alive. All those catalog companies Rex spring Hill help me out, Gurney's Gardener's Supply, and CA van Borgendy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So those are all the catalog companies that are under the umbrella of Gardens Alive.
Speaker 1: What we got here.
Speaker 2: I wanted to mention that I am trying to get a Facebook page up for this for the show, which will feature the lists and links and pictures of plants. We talked about things like that I'll get I try to get that stuff up either right after or right before the show, and maybe, if I'm ambitious, go back and kind of fill in things from previous shows, which would be nice to do. Also, I'm thinking on like fun stuff like photo contests and ways people can interact.
Speaker 3: With the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a little interaction, little interact.
Speaker 3: They won't call in, maybe they can, and we.
Speaker 1: Do want you to call in. Eight hundred eighty.
Speaker 3: Two three eighty two fifty. Laying on the guilt trip too much might being hard.
Speaker 2: I don't think you can lay the guilt trip on too much at all. That's something that works a lot of the time. So uh, hey, let's jump into our favorite plants right now. And uh I'm gonna let you start off, because you what you just told me during the break is very intriguing that all of your plants are controversial.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well most all them. Yes. So they're all from my drive to South Carolina from Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: So on Wednesday, you went to We're in South Carolina, Clemson.
Speaker 3: That's the city and the universe, oh both.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, and then and then you you you went there to see things on Thursday and then you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well Wednesday I had other appointments in the area getting some of the farms. The commercial growers that are growing are seedless muscadines. Ok.
Speaker 2: And you also saw a peach breeder, which we'll talk about.
Speaker 3: H So, Okay, I was in the car looking a long time looking at plants. Yeah, it gets tiring, but I'm just going to start with a big one. Oh Kudzooh.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know the vine that ate the South brought over with good intentions with the first cattle, right, soil erosion. Okay, it does you know they do feed cattle, you know. So it was brought over in the mid to late eighteen hundreds more as an ornamental and.
Speaker 1: That early yeah. Ok.
Speaker 3: And then the soil conservation people said, hey, district said in the and during the dustol area started really promoting it as a way to save your soil and stop erosion.
Speaker 1: And which it does well, I imagine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the rest is history is most people have if they've traveled south, have seen how it just blankets literately.
Speaker 1: Orange, right. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And it's mostly of disturbed areas. It's not like really invading the Yeah, but it's very visible from the roads and the way it covers structures is just it's just amazing how much that darn thing grows. I mean, there are some redeeming values. I mean, it does produce a fair amount of biomass. It's not as much as it looks like if it.
Speaker 1: Is really and it's because it looks like a ton and I've been.
Speaker 3: Reading a lot about it and then and it's very complex and I'm having a hard time understanding if you things. So that's why I'm not even.
Speaker 2: There are a handful of populations here, and so it's that way. I was hardened to talk to the green space coordinator in Anderson Township where I live, and there's a few patches. There's like four populations and they're working, actually it was eight, and they're working to get all of them removed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. It were kind of at the northern edge of its general range. There are a few pockets north in the country, but basically it just comes.
Speaker 1: Up southern Kentucky's where I start to see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it just comes over across the Ohio River Indo, Ohio, Okay. So it's most common in the Ohio River counties and in New Richmond, where I grew up. There were two patches. One was on Little Indian it's still. And then on Pond Run Road, so it's it's around yeah. And then I was riding around in this golf cart on this hilly farm. You know, I felt my life was in danger with that.
Speaker 2: I've seen videos people get killed on those cities, yea, yeah.
Speaker 3: And this guy was eighty five and he told me he flipped his tractor thirteen times. Now how he's alive away. So anyway, this little insect lands on me, a little brown thing, and several of them over this time, and I'm like, hey, what is this? You know, I'm into bugs. And it's the common name they call it is the cud zoo bug. Really, yes, And it's a little a cud zoo stink bug. And sure enough, it's this real little thing about the third the size of a normal stink bug. And I am like, well, I can't smell much. Well, it smells just like a stink.
Speaker 1: Bug, like sour apples, if that's what you call that.
Speaker 3: I know, I don't know. So anyway, this thing, you think, oh, did we introduce this to h You know, it just hitched a ride rather recently, real kind of a new phenomena, and it attacks members of the bean family so soy beans are susceptible to it. But there, okay, there were a lot of these little things flying around because kutsu.
Speaker 1: If I remember, it is a lake guome right.
Speaker 3: It's a like yum. It gets these clusters of big pea like flowers like kind of like kind of like wisteria, but it has this super sweet smell. It's not blooming yet.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, the fragrances like it's like.
Speaker 3: A candy kind of.
Speaker 2: But it is alarming when you're driving through the South that you'll you know, come around a bend or something and then all of a sudden there's a wall of katsu for a mile or sometimes it seems like, and it's all up in the trees and you're looking at it and you're like, oh, and I know it's a it's a problem. I don't know if it's a total ecological disaster, and I don't think so. No, it's because it doesn't get deep into the woods. It's in these disturbed areas, but still it's like just another And the thing that bothers me about it is because it's been known to have been an invasive plant for a very long time, and yet eight people or a few at least in my township. Thought, Oh, it's attractive enough to plant it in their yard or wherever. And now it's you know, spreading around so people don't play around with invasive plants.
Speaker 1: Not good.
Speaker 3: Oh we got to play with them and then find out if they're invasive.
Speaker 1: Smart mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm we're in the heat dome. I'm going to come in and just say once again, shade trees are my favorite plants right now, big ones, anything that provides a lot of shade, maples, oaks, Linden's, elms, z cova. What am I missing? Hookeries. Get those big trees out there, diversity them. Don't all buy red maples. Yeah, okay, well that's all right, that's all right. Gotta put you on the spot. I'm just gonna mention Esculus part of a floor a variety Satna. I didn't know it was a sub variety the cult of our rogers because it's blooming now. It's later than the regular bottlebrush bluck guys, and it's just fabulous. It's a big suckering plant, great for screening, deir resistance, sunshade, moist dry.
Speaker 3: Amazing plan.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing place.
Speaker 3: It was one of my plants of the week. They're just the regular species. Okay, about a month, but ago it was blooming.
Speaker 1: When those were blooming, and.
Speaker 3: Rogers, that's a very long panicle.
Speaker 2: Yeah and yeah, really big and very fuzzy, and the polleningter is absolutely loving.
Speaker 1: What's your next one?
Speaker 2: And I'm looking for something real controversial, real controversial.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, the empress tree polonia. Yeah yeah, yeah, see, I mean you see it around here once in a while, but uh, you travel south, it's crazy. It's all over. And when you take forty from Knoxville to Ashville and you're in the mountains, it's all over those rotten.
Speaker 2: And you can see it when it's a bloom so easily, well even not because the leaves are so big.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and it blooms before the leaves come out, and it's very spring and then it has these clusters of seed, spiky seed pods that hang down. Now, what I used to do with it when I was into state gardening. I would grow it in a garden as a tropical and you would copass it. You would cut it down every year, and that thing would grow like twelve feet this messive leaves a year and those juvenile leaves are like five times as big as the normal leaves. They're just giant. It's really cool that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even there, you're kind of playing with the fire a little bit because you noted copposs it every year. But you know, if you move on and somebody leaves it, then it could grow into a tree and start producing seed and sweating.
Speaker 3: And I'm playing with fire just talking about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you are, You're gonna get calls and heat mail.
Speaker 3: But at the IPM conference in Germany there IPM is it's this big horticulture trade show in Germany. There was a company that sells different varieties of it for forest products. It makes this really durable.
Speaker 2: Would I first learned about it? I read this article in Newsweek or something it was a long time ago, about how it was actually becoming endangered in Japan because they make like boxes for brides out of the wood. It's purple, it's it has street it's beautiful wood. And then you know, they started describing the tree like tropical, look beautiful purple flowers. I'm like, oh, I want me one of those, you know, and and then you know, you you you well, then you find out it's it's an invasive problem. And secondly it's it despite on paper looking like a beautiful tree, it's not a pretty tree in real life. It's usually scraggly and half damaged, and.
Speaker 3: It just never drops those big old leaves.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a problem.
Speaker 2: I stopped at some nash Or State park at Tennessee around Jackson, Tennessee, and.
Speaker 1: It was riddled with them. I mean, oh yeah, yeah, they were everywhere.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to jump in and say a couple real quick. Lanira reticulate a Kinsley's ghost just a great a native honeysuckle. Yeah, I think the common name is just reticulate honeysuckle, So you might as well learn a lot of this.
Speaker 3: Or it's a native selection.
Speaker 2: It's a native selection with blue foliage. It's porfolio, so the stems go through the foliage. It looks a lot like a eucalyptus does. Throw it by itself. It's sort of a shrubby thing, but if it has something to climb up to, it'll climb well.
Speaker 1: Up into a tree. So it's kind of a neat one cool plant. I love it.
Speaker 2: And then garden flocks flocks piniculata it's hitting its stride and it is so beautiful. I've got many I started out with just a handful of mildew resistant varieties, and I think they're all gone.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The seedlings are, you know, seeds around a little bit. So I've got a bunch of seedlings of various colors all over the garden now, and they're all good. They all have of the fragrance, different colors.
Speaker 3: Uh and uh.
Speaker 2: I don't see mildew, which is really nice because that's supposedly a bad problem with other older writings.
Speaker 3: Maybe eventually it'll get them.
Speaker 1: What's your next one?
Speaker 3: My next one, I'm going with a native Devil's walking, Oh yeah, which you know who knows what I mean? This is a semi obscure plant. We once again we're on the northern part of its range. You can see it in when you travel like to Adams in Sciota County, and it gets these it's a suckering shrub. I guess you'd call it. It doesn't. I don't even know that it branches. It's just steady stock and it has these really large compound leaves, so it's more like a leaf like maybe a Kentucky coffee tree.
Speaker 1: Let's just say that doubly pinate.
Speaker 3: Pinnately compound leaf. So it has all these leaflets kind of foliage, and then right now they're starting to bloom. It's this big panicle like the size of a basketball of these tiny white flowers, and bees and flies just like anything in the Aurelia family just flock to it. But I mean, I want this somewhere nearby, but you have to be very careful because this does spread by suckers and it has oh yeah, the double parts thorns at the least on the stem. And it's just I wish you we could show pictures here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll get that Facebook page and real quick. When we come back, we will finish out with some more favorite plants. You don't want to miss that. Some of them are actually things you might want in your garden.
Speaker 3: Right back.
Speaker 5: Well, I've been recommending Blackjack driveway sealers for years, and here's some great news. The Blackjack ten year Sealer drive Max one thousand features accelerated drying time in curing in cooler temperatures. Drive Max one thousand adds curb appeal, delivering a light, new black finish and as you're a thane enhanced for the longest life drive Max. One thousand, available at Low's Home Depot, True Value ace in your local hardware store. Visit Blackjack Coatings dot com for more information. Blackjack Protecting Driveways for over one hundred years.
Speaker 4: Wet and Forget Outdoor Spaces is made for outdoor living areas. It's designed to clean over time with no constant effort. Just spray it on and let's do its work. It's that easy. It cleans outdoor stains caused by mold, mildew, algae, and moss. Ideal for patios, sidewalks, decks, citing patio furniture and outdoor fabric. Wettin Forget is always bleach free, no scrubbing, no rinsing, and you get up to fifteen hundred square feet of coverage. Wet and Forget Outdoor Spaces one step application available at Home Depot, wal martin Myers.
Speaker 2: Our number eight hundred eighty two three eighty two fifty five. You're listening to Let's Garden with Scott Berline here with Mark Wessell, chief horticulturist at Gardens Alive, and h it has come Well, We're still in the midst of our favorite plants right now. And I'm gonna let you go first again. You've got a doozy of a controversial plant. Well, uh, not that controversial anymore. From the right, right, right, it's not too controversial, mimosa. Yeah, just you know, this goes back to my childhood. Those cool, beautiful, puffy flowers and.
Speaker 1: Absolutely gorgeous plant. Very tropical looking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very tropical. It doesn't look like it belongs here.
Speaker 1: It does and it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's just an interesting planet. It seems to be like the road cuts.
Speaker 1: And yeah that's another legoo right yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And its marginally hardy here some I mean not more than marginal. Yeah, it still gets.
Speaker 2: And as we get warmer, I think, you know, we might start seeing it invade more than it is. It does seed around now, but it does get worse and down south.
Speaker 3: It's oh bad news, right, bad news. Yeah, sorry, folks, Yeah, the problem for you, but here.
Speaker 2: It's one of the things, one of your burdens for you have to deal with for living in warmer climates.
Speaker 3: That's right, that's right. Besides the humidity and uh, chiggers and snakes and snakes, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have got I don't even know how to say, this plant, and it's a really unusual one, but Ryan Cospera Colorado good enough. It's called white top sedge. It's not a sedge, it's something else. But it's such a funky plant. We're using it at the zoo and so I get to see it there, and I've seen it one other place I can't remember where, but it's sort of it looks like a sedge, but about three feet no, not that two and a half, two feet high, with just this really funky little flower that.
Speaker 1: Attracts pollinators. It's really cool.
Speaker 2: It's one worth looking up. White sedge, white top sedge, and I'm going to jump in with calam mints, Calamintha nepita napita or cat mints, not cat net, but cat mints. And there's several varieties out there. White cloud, blue cloud, mantre's white marvel at blue triumphader. That's what I haven't seen. It can be used as an herb, it's you know, but basically it's a front of the border little plant like an alyssa maybe, but it's perennial, perennial seas around, subtle.
Speaker 3: Subtle, like a showstopper, but a good filler.
Speaker 1: Good filler, and polliniers flocked to it. And it's tough, and it's tough for good hot dry sites. You got anything left?
Speaker 2: No, you don't, Okay, so I'll carry on another truce edge kerr ex Oshi Mensa ever Rilloh, it's nice from an Irish breeder. I think David Hoffman might talk about this a little bit when he comes on it a little bit later in the show.
Speaker 1: But super bright gold foliage. It's it's just really good.
Speaker 2: A little grassy looking thing maybe six eight inches high, a little bit of a weep to a little bit of a curve, and you know, if you need that bright color in a spot to lighten it up or be a focal point or whatever, it's a really good.
Speaker 1: Plant for that.
Speaker 3: That's one of those fun new you know.
Speaker 1: Newish things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it comes from Ireland, of all places. I met the breeder, did you this winter? Okay? Very interesting man?
Speaker 1: How many of that series are out.
Speaker 3: At least I've yeah around that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So there's yeah, one's ever gold ever Rillow. They all have ever in the name, and I don't know exactly why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can find them out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're pretty common tropicals. I don't. I'm not a big tropical grower.
Speaker 3: You do a few, yeah, tender perennials.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they don't fit into my garden really well, but I sure do appreciate them when I see him around. And it's one of those groups of plants I don't know that well yet, So it's kind of like enjoy it without having too much information in your head.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a different different things.
Speaker 3: I would like to use some more. I just don't have the space the sun and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got the pool deck area which would look nice with the tropical, but then there's more of a naturalistic landscape all around, so I think it would fit in like a sore thumb, maybe, yeah, sort of.
Speaker 3: Maybe some of these fancy designer people that you know can help you bridge that gap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be nice. I will rely on that.
Speaker 2: I will call them up ten thirty at night or during dinner time or something and to stay on the line with them for about an hour, peppering with questions, peppering, peppering.
Speaker 3: Who does that?
Speaker 2: I don't Mangavi's. So these are Hans Hansen's creation with who is it spring meadow or no?
Speaker 1: Walters Walters Walter and these are.
Speaker 2: Crosses between what agave and Manfreda Manfreda and they're very cool. They look a lot like Agave's and they work really well in gardens, not hardy up north, but you bring them inside really nice. So yep, that wraps up our favorite plants. Right now, when we come back, what are we going to talk about, Mark, We're going to talk about peach breeding and other things that you saw on your trip down south, and that will be really interesting. You're listening to That's Garden with Scott Berlin, and the podcasts are available Google. Let's Guard with Scott Berline and look forward on your favorite source.
Speaker 1: We'll be back in just a few minutes.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening, Come back and stick around all that