Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five to seventy LA Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio. While it's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 2: No congratulations necessary. All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is petros In Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros Papadae, Gus terrible person, he's the worst, and Matt Money Smith.
Speaker 3: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe.
Speaker 2: Don't miss an episode. We're with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, follow the petros In Money Show wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petrose Papadae, Gusts and Matt Money Smith.
Speaker 3: I don't crack. He's the under pressure.
Speaker 2: Every damn night.
Speaker 4: Warriors big Right over there, there's some people smoking weed.
Speaker 2: We're not ready, can't do it. Selling my wife, my wife, my wife, my wife, my wife, my wife, my wife. Okay, shucking down nine.
Speaker 5: My bad, my.
Speaker 6: Bad.
Speaker 3: Welcome back everybody, Petros and Money with you for our final hour of the week. A great week in great sports talk. We are your home of back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers Action and tomorrow it will all get started in earnest Cactus League Spring training games in Tempe against the Angels. First pitch at twelve ten and get this show on demand the Petros and Money podcast. We're always there on the iHeartRadio app. You can stream us live there or you could podcast the show later. We are headed to Lakers Clippers pregame at six, tip off at seven. A big thank you to David Vasse who kind of sort of like Don McClain did with my basketball aggression two weeks of coverage, he just put a fire extinguished to all of it in one fell swoop. Vass At kind of tried to do that with your dear baseball soliloquy, not two weeks later, but just in the very next hour.
Speaker 7: Yeah. I understand, you know, you don't want to dwell on what's coming up and worry about it, but I think it's something to think about and hopefully they get it.
Speaker 3: Reckud. I feel stupid because like I was really into what you were saying, and then I was like when Dave talked, I was like, oh, well that makes sense too, and now I just feel like I don't have any backbone at all.
Speaker 7: I was like, you're watching a tennis match, right.
Speaker 3: Very wishy Washington. Yeah, I mean everything makes sense to me. I'm very gullible. It's true. So don't forget to podcast the show and enjoy the sports action, the play by play action all weekend basketball and baseball. And KFI even has that that old head soccer game.
Speaker 7: Yeah, two o'clock on Sunday afternoon. Check it out from Bemo.
Speaker 3: I hope the house whispers not on. Okay, I did my final fun fact of the Weed's fun effect.
Speaker 1: It's the Yeah with three fun facts.
Speaker 3: I have been doing the fun facts about Glendale, Arizona because that is where camel Back Ranch is. To me, my favorite story about Glendale, Arizona is about Glendale's most favorites, favorite about Glendale's favorite son and most famous. It is the great Western bard Marty Robbins. Kate's are you familiar with Marty.
Speaker 7: Robins and tell me about him?
Speaker 3: You call yourself a man who knows country music? I know who he is.
Speaker 7: About what the listeners that know who he is?
Speaker 3: Oh? Marty Robbins is a famous crooner of the twentieth century countryman from Glendale, Arizona, singing cowboy. His maternal grandfather Texas bo Heckel Techs bubb Heckel told him stories of the West, and that's how he came to write and sing a lot of old Western tales. In two thoy fifteen, Glendale, Arizona put a plaque on the Amphitheater Walkway, and a one mile stretch of Glendale Avenue and Glendale, Arizona between fifty ninth and fifty first Street are named Marty Robbins Boulevard. His most famous song is El Paso Kates, I do know that, okay, in nineteen sixty nine, his or fifty nine excuse me. His album Gunfighter Ballads and Trail Songs is an amazing collection and probably one of the great twentieth century albums anybody's ever made. Songs like Big Iron Water, great Western tunes. And that's what I always think about when I think about Glendale, Arizona. I think about the great Marty Robbins and making music in the twentieth century, real country music, for real singing cowboy. Now it's time for quicking.
Speaker 7: Look to the ms, quick, hitch, come make it quick, y'all.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, another day. I work out to the Dodgers tomorrow for a spring training game. We told you Yoshi Yamamoto starts tomorrow Jackson Ferris from Farris State, just like Trinidad Chambliss, that's not true, but he starts Sunday, and Roki Sasaki will make a start at some point next week. We'll be all over it with all of our coverage. Not to pounce on you a schedule talk, hats, but how many games are we running during the week next week? A couple, Jewel, I.
Speaker 7: Know there's no game on Monday, but there's a couple next.
Speaker 3: Week, Jachel.
Speaker 7: I remember, it's not really gonna affect the patrol some money show because those are noons.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 7: But you know, Ronnie, though, are going to get a much deserved couple of days off.
Speaker 3: Yeah. They work hard. A lot of vagary from you. Kate's very vague schedule talk there. We lack more precision with our schedule talk. Chowey Otani is expected to dh this weekend. The Lakers are thirty three and twenty one. They're the fifth seed in the West, and they host the Clippers twenty seven to twenty eight two night. Lebron James lefty swords has been downgraded to questionable, which is like that emoji of the guy shrugging his shoulders. The Lakers have only had Lebron, Luca and Aar together in the starting lineup for ten measlely games this season. Meanwhile, the Clippers coming off a win over the Nuggets last night, But then Kawhi Leonard made this comment following the game when asked about the new lineup and the new roster and their chances of contending.
Speaker 8: Just a Bellevm over time. I mean, I think it's over now. It's this second half, like fourth of the season left. But you know, every day is a day to grow, a day to learn and get better. So you know, you just got to keep looking over time and see in two weeks if we getting better, and you know, you know, see what happens from now.
Speaker 7: So we're righting off the season. Is that what he did one game after the All Star break?
Speaker 3: Is that what he did?
Speaker 7: I mean basically said that they're out of the contention for winning a championship. Well, we'll see what happens in two weeks. I mean, they're gonna make the playoffs. But doesn't sound like a guy who's very confident this team can go deep.
Speaker 3: Well, he didn't know he was gonna score thirty one in that game or whatever in the All Star Game that was meaningless, but he did tomorrow. You see, LA host number ten Illinois and Polly mc cronin went to the media today and talked for the first time since that horrid night in East Lansing where he lost his mind. Here's part of that.
Speaker 9: First of all, I want you guys to know so I'm already apologized to Steve. Okay.
Speaker 2: I thought that he took.
Speaker 9: The guy out like the kid at Providence took the guy from Saint John's out. It's the only reason I sent him to the locker room. I thought he literally made a dirty play and tried to wipe the guy out. Now I don't have the film. Once I saw the film, I mean, he still got an f one. To be honest with you, I don't even know if he deserved that when I watched it. You know, coaches thought the same thing when I communicated with him. But I thought he tried to wipe the guy out, which to me, you know, that's a bad play. Like, you can't be down twenty five, you're getting your butt kicked. Don't try to take somebody out, hurt somebody. On the other team, which is what I thought. Now I'm short, I was blocked him on the other end. Obviously their reaction I thought he tried to crush this kid. I think it was coop. So anyway, I apologized to Steve. You know, you know I'm trying to protect it, like I take it really serious, like our guys don't get text our guys. We're not taking guys out in the air. You know, the brand is important to me, so but you know I was wrong. I apologized to and that being said, the brand's important to me. So I need to dial back to some of my humor bends. So I apologize. You know, sometimes I'm too candid, like for example, talking about how bad our flight was after the NCAA tournament. I'm lucky to coach here, and like my advice, I've said this to guys, like, you know, you get older, lose all your hair, and I have to have facial hair now because I don't want to look like mister clean. But you have to you have to realize, like and I have to do a better job of this that in this climate, you've got to be careful with what you say because my like I'm not here, I'm a good fit here because I know I'm not bigger than the brand, and the brand matters here, the school matters. The last thing I want to do is bring negative publicity to our school. And sometimes because it's not about me, I don't care what people.
Speaker 8: Think about me.
Speaker 9: I need to do a better job knowing well, I am the coach here and I need to make sure I don't do anything to embarrass our school. So for that, I apologize, because that I don't want. I apologize to our people, schools, students, you know, everybody in our community because it's important you at these jobs. You got to raise money, you got to be friends with donors. I mean, I believe in all that stuff. So as I tell you, like you know, I'm trying to protect our brand. I don't want our guys taking some guy out ways in the air down twenty five. That's bush league, not what happened. But the same goes for me. I got to make sure did I represent us in the right way. So that being said, we got a problem. Illinois is really.
Speaker 3: Good and hockey very exciting Team USA with a resounding victory over Slovakia. My correct to say that Tim.
Speaker 7: They absolutely destroy them today. And things got chippy. Towards the end, Petros, one of the Kachuck brothers, got tangled up with one of the players from Slovakia and boom, here comes the other Kachuck brother over to help him out as a US beat Slovakia six to two, setting up what we all want to see at six am on Sunday morning.
Speaker 3: Petros USA VERSUS Canada. You and Don said there's gonna be all kinds of fights and it's really gonna pop off. So I'm looking forward to that, although I will not wake up for that. If I do, I'll just go to yoga. The La Rams they promoted a shield House to offensive coordinator. I know that guy.
Speaker 2: Despite head coach.
Speaker 3: I think I've interviewed that guy. Where was he? He had to be somewhere else. I've talked to him. Despite head coach McVeigh controlling the play calling duties, four of the rams past five offensive coordinators have landed head coaching jobs in the NFL. Shieldhouse has spent the last two seasons with the Rams, first as an offensive assistant and passing game specialist, and then as the passing game coordinator.
Speaker 7: I'll tell you where you cross pass with this guy, and I'm pretty sure you talk to him. He was the OC in twenty twenty three at Iowa State.
Speaker 3: Yes, there you go. I know that guy. Yes, very promising young coach and a good looking.
Speaker 7: Young guy, only thirty five.
Speaker 3: He was a scotted quarterback there too.
Speaker 7: In the last ten years he's gone from an ops guy and an assistant to now offensive coordinator of the NFL. Pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's an up and coming coach. If it doesn't work out with the Rams, he'll be with Matt Campbell in a college, at a state college. Okay, there's some college baseball news, Kates.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is big. It's getting ready to start right now over Jackie Robinson Stadium. But you can head out there all weekend as number one UCLA plays host a seventh ra TCU out at Jackie Robinson Stadium. You can watch the game tonight on Fox Sports one. Get to get underway here in just a little bit. Your chance to see the number one player in the country on the number one team in the country. Rock Chulowski, the shortstop for UCLA, is an absolute stud. Three home runs in four games already this season.
Speaker 3: Hey Chilowski, about that? Okay, let's let him play a little.
Speaker 7: Bit about Coach Savage's team took two or three from UC San Diego over the weekend. Then they had that Tuesday game, which we all love in college baseball. They beat Tulane and now they host TCU for.
Speaker 3: Lane was in town for a Tuesday tussle.
Speaker 7: Yeah, one gamer against Tulane UCLA one and now the horn Frogs are in town for three. This is a big match up. TCU is a power in college baseball.
Speaker 3: Well, something to pay attention to over the weekend. And what happened with Teddy Bridgewater. H the thing about how he bought everybody pizza or whatever like Rick majeris.
Speaker 7: Well, he was paying for uber rides and he was basically take caring, taking care of his guys and spent all twenty thousand dollars of his own money to help his players basically just survive and be able to play football. For him, when he was coaching high school football, he got in trouble for that. Now the state of Florida say, you know what, that's a stupid rule. So they have passed a new rule which allows high school coaches to use personal funds to provide financial assistance to players up to ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's probably the right thing. Help the people out if you can. But we will have the latest on the money changing hands in high school sports once the Trinity League get started again in the fall. Okay, that's it right, We got the lessons learned coming up, and then we'll get to the dead and a live guy Birthday of the Day. Clippers versus Lakers pregame show starts at six, and then baseball awakens from its short winter nap tomorrow. First spring training game here on Ami seventy. First pitch right after the noon hour. David Vasse starts though at eleven thirty.
Speaker 1: This is Petro Send money on demand, Demand.
Speaker 7: Throw some money, show on this Frogman Friday and five seventy. LA Sports here until six o'clock tonight, and then it's the Battle of La. Clippers Lakers. Kawhi Leonards says they are not contenders. Lebron James will he play? He's questionable. They've only had the Big three the Lakers this year ten games this season, so we'll see if the Big three are healthy enough to play tonight. How is he hurt when he played in the All Stars To take A two makes sense, makes sense. So he've been off since Sunday, He's got all week to rest, and now he's questionable for tonight's game because of nie soreness.
Speaker 3: I don't think anybody looks at the schedule with more strategy than Lebron James. I believe that.
Speaker 2: Of course, nychel.
Speaker 3: Oh, Yeah, he has a lot of schedule talk. I remember his whole routine with Dan Woiki. That being said, I am a bona fide hater. I mean, what can I say?
Speaker 7: But are you gonna watch the night or listen to this game? It's a big one Lakers and Clippers. Yeah, probably if they're gonna win. They're back to five hundred on the season.
Speaker 3: I'll have it on. I mean, you know, you know what a sportsman I am.
Speaker 7: So short it up all the time.
Speaker 3: I'll have it on and then I'll be back on the radio on Monday.
Speaker 7: You were Sporty Spices before Sporty Spies. Another four hours of great sports talk.
Speaker 3: I was doing there, great sports talk another four hours on Monday. As the wheel just keeps on turning and we are all banging our way through the winter. But it is time. It has been a great week even though Matt was on a tour. What tour the world tour, Jim, you're well aware of it. Stop number three to Night Washington, d C.
Speaker 7: Let's go.
Speaker 3: Just time for the lessons learned in great sports Talk Tell pictures.
Speaker 2: I guess he delivered a really sick with no concerns.
Speaker 3: Since lesson why lost meal? A rainy week which is always big in the.
Speaker 7: News and cold damn it's it's.
Speaker 3: Rainy, windy and cold, a lot of weather action and we're not built for the rain, so it upsets people. And the rain is as we approach it differently, as we discussed yesterday with our friend Don McClain, who we did worry one of us whether or not he was gonna make it in.
Speaker 7: We'll get there in a second.
Speaker 3: Los Mila Monas our our favorite two ladies from East La who do the rhyming couplets Los Mila Moness on rain, awareness of swift water.
Speaker 7: Ravers, rise and streets.
Speaker 8: Teddy rains are said to show see Kai grounds.
Speaker 5: Don't delay last flots Steichland out of say stay Sat, Bela, stay.
Speaker 3: Say La, God, I love them. We should get stay safe La and throw that in the machine.
Speaker 2: Say stay Sat Bela and.
Speaker 3: We always feel that way. Stay say La, even the people on skid rows, even the hobos that wish they could go back and infest Echo Park, Stay safe, stay sat a glass.
Speaker 2: Yes, listen to.
Speaker 3: And you know what I want to go on record And Tim Kats was against last Mila Moores appearing on the show, not against it, but originally there was pushback on bringing lost Milamores back.
Speaker 7: Well, if this were American Idol, which I'm again watching, this would be a hard no for me.
Speaker 3: Copy Yes. Bob Chestney with his message, the new UCLA coach who I lie? With his message to the players.
Speaker 7: The detail he wants detail, that's right.
Speaker 10: Who's the guy who thinks the otlets?
Speaker 3: What's his name?
Speaker 2: What is it Alan? So you should all know that, right.
Speaker 10: You should also know Willie out there, right. You should know everybody else that's in there, every one of the people that are doing your house cleaning in here, you should try to know their name, walk by them and say hi. Think of it as someone's mother, someone's sister, someone aunt, someone something. Because it is someone something, right, So let's just make sure we respect them that way.
Speaker 3: They're not here to pick up after you.
Speaker 2: They're part of our team.
Speaker 10: Right, they are part of our team, and at some point will have them come in here, introduce themselves with the picture of themselves up there and tell that tell you a little bit about them and their family. Right, that's important.
Speaker 7: So just do not think of them as they're here to serve you.
Speaker 10: They're not there.
Speaker 2: You're equal, right, they are your equal.
Speaker 3: They're just like a coach.
Speaker 10: They're just like any great player on this team, the best teams in America.
Speaker 3: It's never about any one person.
Speaker 7: Yeah, bos in all seriousness, petros I do love that message. They're not here to serve you. They're not here to bend down and grab and pick up your towel and all your clothes because you're too lazy to do that. As a student athlete, have some respect for these folks that are there to help you, but not serve you.
Speaker 3: That is fair, Tim Mike Vrabel made a similar speech to the New England Patriots.
Speaker 7: And look where it got them the Super Bowl.
Speaker 3: Yes, that speech be right, and a shout out to Isabelle downstairs. It works for the building.
Speaker 7: Lesson three, Lexan Trace.
Speaker 3: Bob Nightingale of the USA Today came on and discussed the Tony Clark scandal about the sister in law looking a lot like the wife of Tony Clark, which I'm assuming is her sister, And that was a real nugget at the end of the interview that blew us away. We're reporters here, Bob.
Speaker 6: You took it. I used to confuse it to I really did, because they, uh, you know that you know their sisters and so yeah, there are a lot of events together and stuff like that. So yeah, I remember they used to, you know, make fun of me, like, oh, you keep getting this confused.
Speaker 3: Do you know you not the only one? Bob?
Speaker 7: How about that.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable nugget. I mean, that's some real Petros and moneying right there.
Speaker 7: Nobody else has that.
Speaker 3: We have it. Lucky for you that you listen to the number ten ranked show in the afternoon drive nationally. That's just money that the sister in law looks a lot like the sister We.
Speaker 7: Got confirmation from the nightgo.
Speaker 3: We don't know who's gonna win or lose or what's gonna happen, but if there's a sex scandal within a family, we are on it, like freaking Scooby Doo's crew.
Speaker 7: They used to give me a hard time because I got the confused.
Speaker 3: Our mystery machine is pulled up right to the curb. What's the guy has sex with his sister in law? Or if anything is about Crenshaw, tell your ma, tell your pa. Can't nobody mess with the Shaw less than four the Lexi own quatrol oblo i madre oblo ipadre no mess audio can Shaw. Marcus Johnson and his new book, The Crenshaw Chronicles, LA Basketball Legend. Awesome interview with him the other day and a great idea to put him on by Tim Kates. And here he is telling a story about Crenshaw and how an assistant principal carried a shotgun and came.
Speaker 11: Across an article in nineteen seventy three, Sid Thompson, former superintendent of the school's first black American to be superintendent of the school's the La City School District. But he was quoted in the newspapers of sand they had had a locker check random and found fifteen guns. Fifteen you know, just start off shotguns and pistols. This nineteen seventy three. But but you know, when you're there, you can't keep the picture. When you're in the frame. When you're there, I'm fifteen years old, man, I'm just having a great time, the finest ladies in the city going through crinchall.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 11: We had a DJ, Kevin Spencer, who wrote a lot of songs that sold our record for Dick Griffy was head of the group called Dynasty. He was our DJ in the quad. The music would be blasted, people would be dancing at lunch time and it was just a great, great environment. Now there were a lot of fights, a lot of violet intodents also, but at the same time, man, it was just a mixture of all kinds of just fun things to be a part of, some dangerous, dangerous things to be a part of. And many of the people that I interviewed for this book were really forthcoming. One of the assistant coaches at Crenshaw talked about how he had to carry a salt off shotgun in his army jacket every day, and then he would get to school, he put it in his locker, do what he had to do as a student, and then walking home after basketball practice because it was so dangerous the neighborhood that he was walking through, headed back home, he backed that bad boy back up as students around him, they knew it, they saw it, but they understood the inherent dangers that was involved in going to crunch on those days. And so there's a lot of compelling stories like that man that filled this book up.
Speaker 3: Fabulous interview, unbelievable memories about the city back in those days and the city High School.
Speaker 7: It's a different well, it.
Speaker 3: Was, well, let's be honest, the city was black. It was before there was that big of an influx of Latinos, and it was after, of course, what they called the White flight, as we always discussed. My grandmother went to Dorsey High. So it's just a totally different time. And the city is still the city in many ways, but but not like that. And if you want to see honestly what the city actually look like in the early seventies, the Watt Stacks concert documentary that Richard Pryor did, which is like a black Woodstock at the coliseum, a concert with Isaac Hayes and a bunch of other performers. You will not believe the Afros, the people, just the whole vibe. And you could see the coliseum in South LA and it's all its Glory and Color back in that time that I couldn't believe that movie. I saw it on TV and then I bought it and watched it and it was the coolest thing, all right.
Speaker 7: Lesson fine le.
Speaker 3: Don McClain wants this lady fired. I don't think it's fair cool drunk Australia.
Speaker 12: Literally, the like the price of coffee over here is actually fun. It's more the price of coffee in the US that we are going to have to get used to.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure that the Iguanas, where are we going.
Speaker 3: With that one?
Speaker 12: But anyway, the fact that we've got so many athletes who willing to can Pete as well after her as well, she is just one of those athletes that you keep in their mind and you look at them and go, what an inspiration.
Speaker 7: She did apologize.
Speaker 12: I just want to take a moment, if that's okay, just to apologize. Look, I totally judged a situation, even have had a drink, and especially in these conditions it's cold, we've got altitude and not having had dinner probably didn't help as well. But I want to take full responsibility. It's not the standard that I set for myself.
Speaker 3: McLean said five drinks. And you know they might not send her to the States. In the States, it's a coffee. It's like, oh you might, it's two years from now. You might not make it. But God bless her, lovely lady. Bless it's sick, Leon, says Don McLain, responding to the Tim Kates, and I should not have added Kates. That was that's okay, responding to Tim questioning if he would cancel, and he did cancel today.
Speaker 7: He was scheduled to do today.
Speaker 3: But McClay responding to Tim about it if he would cancel because of the rain.
Speaker 5: You know what, Tim, I would give you permission, mister gunowner. If I ever called anybody and said, hey, I can't come in because it's raining, you can just go ahead and shoot me. Literally, if those words ever come out of my mouth, it's over. I'm done. You might as well just finish me off.
Speaker 7: Can you do it one more time?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know what, Tim, I would give you permission, mister gunowner. If I ever called anybody and said, Hey, I can't come in because it's raining, you can just go ahead and shoot me. I mean, come on.
Speaker 3: Don first, I just couldn't see you in court me and like playing that clip and being like, look he said it. He said, I could shoot him.
Speaker 7: Well you know what happened, all right, case a journ, this thing's over.
Speaker 3: You think you get him?
Speaker 7: I mean, don said it. I don't think it's but only if it's raining.
Speaker 3: I don't think that makes it okay.
Speaker 2: And it doesn't. It doesn't.
Speaker 5: Maybe if those words ever come out of my mouth, it's over. You might as well just finish me off.
Speaker 3: Maybe if sweet James was that's urny.
Speaker 7: Maybe we'll bring this up with James next week.
Speaker 3: It's not a bad idea. We could play that for him and say, what if Kate's capped.
Speaker 7: Dawn because he couldn't come and do the show only because of the rain.
Speaker 3: He smoked him. He said he could. Kate saw his opening. He always wanted to shoot somebody, especially somebody that tall. All right, we'll be back with Mark Petro said money on AMPI seventy La Sparts. Will finish the week with your dad and the live guid Birthday of the Day. Don't forget Dodgers start tomorrow. But to now alight, we got Clippers Lakers.
Speaker 1: Southern California's most listened to sports talk show.
Speaker 2: This is on demand.
Speaker 3: Lakers, Clippers coming up next, Petro send Money coming to an end for the week.
Speaker 2: We'll be back on Sports Talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a four hour show, right three to seven on Monday.
Speaker 7: It is. Yes, we'll be with Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Day will be back from Camelback ranch on with the show just a few minutes ago. But he'll be back with a full hour of Dodger Talk. He'll be on pregame tomorrow pregame Sunday Spring training baseball starts.
Speaker 3: Being first spring training game, like you said, Kates, No, no, Tim Kates, Morongo Casino, Dodgers on deck, pregame show until the season starts. But the first spring training game, which is a step in the right direction if you're a Dodger fan and who isn't Tomorrow versus the Angels. First pitch is at twelve ten. We are your proud home of the back to back World Series champion Los Angeles Dodgers, the most popular team in baseball going for a third in a row. Be there for every moment right here on AM five seventy. A big thank you to Tim Cats, who not only produced this show but co hosted this show all week long. Does a lot of work? Puts in a lot of work. Are you working this weekend? Tim?
Speaker 7: No rare Saturday and Sunday off Petros. But I got some irons in the fire trying to pick up some more work, so I figured you would.
Speaker 3: And a big thank you to Ronnie Fosio at Ronnie Fossio on x is where he posts the playlist.
Speaker 7: We appreciate if you see me, you know, serving coffee or tea and like a barista this weekend. You see my name taging, says Tim.
Speaker 3: Say Hi, I've thought about that doing door dash, you know. I mean, I have an exotic name. People wouldn't really, it wouldn't raise to me eyebrows if people saw that name. No, no here Dasher Petros is almost there, Clippers Lakers coming up, pregame at six, tip off at seven. All right, Tim, I'm sure you're very proud of your dead guy.
Speaker 7: Birthday of the day, I am, and it is sports related.
Speaker 3: Happy.
Speaker 7: It would have been one hundred and fifth birthday to Herman Gustav Roade Junior, better known in the wrestling world as Buddy Rogers. Born and raised in cam New New Jersey, Buddy Rogers one of the most influential and charismatic figures ever in professional wrestling history. Known worldwide as the nature Boy, Buddy Rogers before the Nature Boy Rick Flair, who stole his whole look, attitude, and even stole his wrestling move No way, really, he.
Speaker 3: Stole the name from somebody Wow.
Speaker 7: He helped shape the modern era of what we know now is wrestling and all the money and television and pay per view events that they have. He began wrestling in the late thirties after a brief stint as an amateur wrestler and boxer. He was really good at wrestling, but he was better with his personality. That's where his true gift was. He was an actor. He knew how to turn it on in the ring. He had swagger, he had confidence. He had a knack for getting under the skin of audiences. He quickly became one of the wrestling world's most hated villains or, as they say in wrestling heels. Throughout the nineteen fifties and sixties, Buddy Rogers became one of the sports' biggest box office attraction, so big that in nineteen sixty one, he wrestled Pad O'Connor June thirtieth, nineteen sixty one, in front of nearly forty thousand fans at Old Commissity Park in Chicago. And here's how it ended.
Speaker 5: Oh a fine crock kit.
Speaker 4: Chris By O'Connor as Rogers man, it's toy load that kick. O'Connor's in trouble. Both boys almost count on their feet. O'Connor grasping his midrift in great pain, Rogers crying to crawl across to O'Connor and get that pin.
Speaker 2: Try to pit them.
Speaker 4: O'Connor tumbling across the mat.
Speaker 7: Did he get there? Boys approaching the ropes?
Speaker 13: Watch it now we had the count, We had the count, a free or Buddy Rogers.
Speaker 4: Who gets the pin and wins the deciding paul in this World Heavyweight Championship match. And ladies and gentlemen, we have a new champion. And buddy nature boy.
Speaker 2: Rogers, he did it.
Speaker 7: He defeated Pat O'Connor for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship back in nineteen sixty one. He would hold on to it for five hundred and seventy three days until he lost it in nineteen sixty three. He would go on to win the inaugural WWWF World Heavyweight Championship. They had three ws on that name.
Speaker 3: Oh I thought you just screwed it out.
Speaker 7: No, No, they had three ws in an F the World Heavyweight Championship of WWWF. He had a feud with Bruto Sam Martino. He helped lay the ground worked in for the WWF, which they took off a w His finishing move was the figure four grapevine, later known as the figure four leg lock. It became one of the most iconic submissions in wrestling history, and as we mentioned, others tried to duplicate what he did and who he was. Rick Flair openly modeled his career after Rogers, even adopting the nature boy nickname and his tribute.
Speaker 3: Did he do the woo?
Speaker 7: He did something like but he did that strut, you know that the Rick Clair does. He had that strut and Rick Flair copied him. He's in multiple Wrestling Hall of Fames. He passed away in nineteen ninety two, but his legacy lives on as one of the true pioneers with character, confidence, and charisma that made wrestling what it was in the nineteen thirties, forties, fifties, and what it is today. Happy it would have been one hundred and fifth birthday to the Nature Boy Buddy Rogers.
Speaker 3: A couple things tim Number One, it feels like the extra w was always excessive, right, And I still call the WWE of today the WWF because that's where the Big Boss Man and Hulk Hogan and Randy and Macho Man, that's what we grew up with. Number Two. The older I get, the more similarities I see between professional wrestling fans and NFL fans. I can see that, yeah, but a pioneer, there's no doubt. I mean he for the lowest common denominator. Buddy Rogers.
Speaker 7: Rick Flair looks identical. The hair, the look, the build, you know, the red shorts, the strutter around the ring, getting a hit in the head and like stammering around like you just got hit by an anvil. You know, just very dramatic. This was Buddy Rogers before the Nature Boy Rick Flair.
Speaker 3: Well, if the husband is at the WWE match, the wife is likely watching Bridget Jones, oh beating out the embattled Roger Goodell. Is Helen Fielding sixty eight years old. This is British news.
Speaker 7: Oh it is.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, that's okay. I mean from West Yorkshire, the outskirts of Leeds.
Speaker 7: It's never too late to get it in. If we want to get in here we go get it in.
Speaker 1: Its time for PNS, British News, United Kingdom, English News.
Speaker 3: It's time for British News.
Speaker 7: Cheerio straight, it's out.
Speaker 3: Obviously a talent for writing, went to Oxford and started working for the BBC in the late seventies and eighties, producing all kinds of stuff the BBC. She did stuff involving the Sudan which formed the basis of her first novel, and from nineteen ninety to nineteen ninety nine she worked for newspapers, big newspapers in London and her column, The Bridget Jones Diary, started in nineteen ninety five and continued until nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 7: So it's a real thing, The Bridget Jones Diary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a it's a it's it's written by this lady Helen Fielding. So it's not a real thing, but it's inspired by a real person, gotcha, Maybe kind of like Sex in the City. There are four novels, and of course Renee zel Wigger, a chubby zel Wigger who doesn't look the same anymore.
Speaker 7: Shure it's good back then.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love the chubby, quirky Bridget Jones. Zel Wigger is a very attractive woman and very bulbousy. And that's what I'm looking for if I'm going to watch a woman on the screen. I don't need the romance with Hugh Grant or Colin Firth. I don't need any of it. I just like the chubby Bridget Jones. Lily Allen wrote a Bridget Jones musical that has never seen the light of day. Bridget Jones and it's characters are actually inspired by and this is why it's not really a real thing case. They're inspired by Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. It's like the same.
Speaker 7: Oh I got you Yeah.
Speaker 3: These stories are so deeply ingrained, deep in the marrow of British people's bones, that they sort of tell them over and over again as the generations passed.
Speaker 2: I got youa But.
Speaker 3: Was the girl in Pride and Prejudice bulbousy and hot in that way? No Fielding wrote novels and screenplays. She wrote these screenplays for the Bridget Jones movies. As a matter of fact, she lives in London and Los Angeles. She was married to a Simpsons writer and executive producer, Kevin Curran. He died in twenty sixteen. But the Simpsons guy, he was way up on the Simpsons ladder. Everybody loves a pudgy, wacky Bridget Jones, at least they now. The kids don't know about Firth or Hugh Grant no or sell Wigger, who is now unrecognizable.
Speaker 7: I'm just googling a picture of her right now. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she did something to her face. Yeah, it's like, why'd you do that? A lot like the girl from Dirty Dancing Baby, Jennifer Gray. She chopped off her signature nose and then it's like, well, who's that chick?
Speaker 7: Yeah, she looks completely different, right, it's very upsetic. I didn't realize she was married in Kenny Chesney. I guess I did, but I just forgot about that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I grew up with everybody making fun of how big my nose was. People still do from time to time. It always hurts my feelings for some reason.
Speaker 7: How could a girl from Katie text has changed her looks like she did? Come on, stay natural.
Speaker 3: I liked her naturally as bridget Joan when she was eating like a pizza and a tub of ice cream every day to maintain the bridge of Jones weight. That's what I liked, and I'll stand on that all weekend long. Thank you, Kate, Snakes, Ronnie, have a great weekend. Enjoy the Clippers, Lakers, and the Dodgers coming up tomorrow. God