Speaker 1: The following takes place between seven pm and eight pm.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go seven oh eight, seven hundred WLW Welcome in RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet Avliance Havelister. How you doing, Thanks for making your way here. We've got two hours to get it done tonight. I can tell you upfront. Coming up at about fifteen minutes, we're going to start some pretty in depth Kyle Schwerber conversation and reaction on your part to what is transpired over the last twenty four hours or so. And then we'll have a fun topic we'll toss in in the eight o'clock hour as well. But let's start first right here. My first guest is from Middletown. No, he's not Kyle Schwarber. He created something really cool though, years ago, the MLB Ballpark Passport. Think of a book to officially stamp your visit to a ballpark. Well, this idea, this product has grown so big and has had such an impact on baseball fans across the country that the Baseball Hall of Fame has voted to induct the original first print of the Major League Baseball Ballpark Passport to be put on display in the museum. And I said, how cool is that? Because I had this next guest on way back when let's find out all about it. Welcome in, Tim Barks. How are you, hey, Lan?
Speaker 3: How you doing?
Speaker 2: I am fantastic.
Speaker 3: Let's do this.
Speaker 2: Let's backtrack a little bit for those who may not know of the idea, just kind of describe the passport, what it looks like and how it works.
Speaker 4: Well back in twenty ten, I had the idea, you know of in the recording your memories and your visits to the ballparks. And when I got back, you know, I had the prototype made and and everything, and I called up Phil Cassolini of the Reds and said, hey, Phil, I got this pretty neat idea. I want to show you so what you think And he said, sure, Tim, come on down to the ballpark. And so he loved it, and he took it to Major League Baseball at the winter meetings.
Speaker 3: That was fifteen years ago. Wow.
Speaker 4: And and he came back and called me and said, Tim, come on down to the ballpark. We have a conference call with MLB. They love your idea. And the rest is history. And that year it was the Red Season Passport, which if you recall I was on your show prior to opening day discussing the first book, and I know.
Speaker 3: Casey had one and he got one to use, and.
Speaker 4: You know, we were all such short notice that we didn't have a chance to design and make the MLB Ballpark Passport Book, which was for visiting all thirty ballparks, and so that's what we did, you know, the whole summer and in winter was creating and developing that book for release in twenty twelve. And I just want to say real quick that without Phil Casilini, none of this ever would have happened, because he took that to MLB on his on the cord, had an offline meeting with MLB and Phil just you know, it never the day of light they've had it been for him.
Speaker 3: I just want to tell him thanks, if he's listening.
Speaker 2: And Tim, if I remember correctly, this all kind of popped into your head because you you had kind of a quest to visit. You wanted to visit all thirty Major League parks to begin with.
Speaker 4: Correct, Yes, I was already doing it. I was already doing it. And uh I drove to uh the Arctic Circle back in twenty ten and we'd already been to a number of ballparks, and and of course, you know, watching the Reds play as much as we could on the road, and uh, you know when you drive to Alaska, you know, yeah, a lot of time to think. And I started thinking about growing up with the big Red machine when I was, you know, thirteen years old in the seventy five, and I said, you know, I've got no memories at all, no ticket stubs, nothing, no anything to remember all the visits that I had, you know, to the ballpark with my with my dad and brothers and sisters and in church groups and youth groups and things, and I had nothing. And I said, I want to throw something out there. And I would get back to the hotel and I'd do some search, you know, on my phone online and couldn't find anything. And so it's just amazing that you know, a guy from Middletown had an idea. Yeah, and you know that I went with and you know, I was the first one to come up with this idea for baseball in pathboards and so tim.
Speaker 2: If if someone has a passport, say they order the passport from you kind of walks like when you walk into a stadium, what happens or how is it used? Explain it for someone who might not understand it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so you have the book, and so inside the book it lists all what we call them validation stations at all the Major League ballparks.
Speaker 3: And so what happens when fan comes.
Speaker 4: In they look inside their book, they see where the valuation stations are located inside the ballpark. There's multiple locations at all thirty stadiums, and so like the red for example, the Reds have I think seven or eight different stamping locations listed and Dodger Stadium has like ten. So it was grown from one, you know, from one stamping location for ballpark to you know, seven, eight, nine, tens stamping locations.
Speaker 3: It's kind of crazy.
Speaker 4: And so fans will present their book and they'll ask for the stamp, and they'll turn to their you know, to to the team page in the book, and uh, the staff will roll the date to the date that you're there, and they'll hand you the stamp and you'll ink it up, test it, then stamp your book and it has the name of the ballpark, city, Stton, zip code to the ballpark and then the date you were there. And so once you stamp that it's ink the paper, it's there forever.
Speaker 2: Tell me the Hall of Fame news. Tell me how you got the news, and tell me how exciting this is.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was so unreal.
Speaker 4: I've been thinking for a while because you know, next year is the fifteenth year of the MLB ball Park Passport Book. We released it at the All Star Game in Kansas City in twenty twelve, and we only took you know, we brought like something like, you know, one hundred and fifty one hundred and seventy five books, and we got the joking on the way in that hey, well what if we don't sell any books.
Speaker 3: And never been done before? You know, no one had ever done before. So there was no blueprint for it. And I knew on.
Speaker 4: The second day there at fantast we sold out of our inventory and we took orders for another I think it was three hundred and some orders for the next print, and we told them up front that hey, it might be three four five months before we have another rundowne and they said, we don't care, we want the book.
Speaker 3: And it was at that time that I knew.
Speaker 4: That we had, you know, something special, and so I have to thinking about the fifteenth year and coinciding with that.
Speaker 3: And I said, you know, I said, I said.
Speaker 4: I wonder if the Hall of Fame would be, you know, interested in this book. And since it was the first you know, I kept the first book off this off the press and got the first stamp at Great American Ballpark in it on April fifth of twenty twelve, and so, you know, I thought, you know, this is this is a part of baseball history, and you know, I'll contact the Hall of Fame and see what they think. And so I called and got ahold of a very nice lady, Cassidy Lynt, who is the library director at the Hall of Fame, and I told her I had the original first print, first book, first stamp MLB Ballpark passport book, and if the Hall of Fame would be interested in it. And then so then she pertea to tell me she's like Tim bat the Hall of Fame Committee Board on Historical Artifacts.
Speaker 3: It is scheduled to.
Speaker 4: Have a meet on the I think it was the first Wednesday in November. And she said, I'll take this information about your books. She she knew about the book. The Hall of Fame has sold it from the very beginning they've been a part of it, and she said, I'll see what they think, and she's all get back to you. And so it was, you know, several weeks that passed and and then I'm you know, in the back of my mind, I had November fifth on the calendar, you know. So so on November seventh, I got the call and uh yeah, and so you know, and I was nervous. You know, my my heart kind dropped my stomach because I I didn't I didn't think he would go anywhere, you know. And so uh, she said, Jim, she said, the board voted to have have your book put into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable, so cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I mean it's like a baseball player gave him the call. But that's how you really felt like it, Yeah, you know, yeah it was. Yeah, it was so cool. Tim.
Speaker 2: For for those wondering who I want to learn more about it does and kind of explain the inventory here would would if somebody wants to hit like minor league ballparks or spring training ballparks. Is there a version of that for the ballpark passport?
Speaker 3: Yes, you you talked a little about before.
Speaker 4: You know, the program has grown where we now have stamped in two hundred and twenty four stadiums and and museums and in ballparks all over the country. So we have the MLB ball Park Passport Book, which is of course pro visiting all thirty ballparks. It's a binder, so in the most often question I get asked is about what there's a new stadium built. It's a binder, so you can add new stadium as the build. The book never becomes outdated. We have a Game Day Book which took the place of the Red Season Passport book. That is for season ticket holders and people who frequent, you know, multiple games, so you can stamp every game you go to. And we have the Spring Training Passport, we have the Minor league Passport, and then then we have this the new Baseball Attractions Passport that was created here about a year and a half, which has fifty non MLB venues in it. So the Jackie Robinson Museum, yeah, Canadian Baseball Hall of Fame. The list goes on and on all.
Speaker 2: Right, So this would be great, This would be great for the holidays, A great stocking stuffer for a kid who's starting out as a baseball fan or an older adult who's a baseball fan. Tell listeners how they can find out more. What's the website to get more information on the MLB Ballpark passport.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's an MLB Ballpark Passport dot com and it's on there. We have an awesome Facebook group also that for they want some real, live, you know, working information. It's the Facebook group is Ballpark Stampeders, and it's a wonderful group. They poster stamps from all over the country every night. And I think now we have people coming in from all over the world to ballgames with the book.
Speaker 3: Oh uh yeah. And we're small business.
Speaker 4: We don't advertise at all, and so we we've been award of mouth. And I appreciate you so much for you having me on your program.
Speaker 2: You got it well, absolutely, man, those were great days. And I'm just so happy and excited for you. And shout out to all the stam Peters listening. Shout out to our guy Bill Bray who's listening, and congrats on all this and and keep it rolling and keep me posted on stuff unfolding. All right, sure, well, brother, thank you, Thanks Tim, take care, Okay, all right, there you go, Tim Parks, what what what cool? Just decide, I want to do this. Nobody's doing this. What if we did an MMB ballpark passport and you could take it stadium to stadium and have it validated and jot down your memories and moments of the game. And just what a concept. And now it's in Cooper's down. Unbelievable. All right, let's do this. Let's take time out, come back a little bit behind. We'll play some catch up, get some headlines, then we'll talk Reds season, Kyle Schwarber and more. Rnel Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevellete seven hundred WLW. All right, let's squeeze in a couple of headlines. Bengal's got to work on the Ravens today. T Higgins still in concussion protocol, limited to individual drills today. Shamar Stewart cleared to practice. He comes off the reserve injured list Today opens up that twenty one day window he can be activated to the roster at any time during that period. The Bengals signed wide receiver Xavier Johnson to the practice squad. The former Ohio State Buckeye and Pride of Summit Country Day Join join us tomorrow night for the Roundtable Show. I'm with Rocky log Necks and Wilder. We're there for the rest of the year. On Thursday six to eight o'clock, the big bombshell in sports, Michigan has fired football coach Arn Moore. Statement from the university says an investigation determined and they have fired him with cause determined. He engaged in an inappropriate relationship with a staff member. Report moments ago, indicating tonight he is in police custody. Assistant coach Biff Hoji named the interim coach for the Citrus Bowl against Texas. U see starting corner Christian Harrison says on Instagram today he's entering the transfer portal. College basketball is underway. We'll get you an update. I see Miami leading unc Asheville seventy four sixty three with about five minutes to go, and Purdue an early leader over Minnesota twenty one to thirteen about eight minutes to go in the first half. Baseball, the Orioles pivoted from Kyle Schwarber pivot to the Polar Bear. Today Pete Alonzo reports say it's a five year, one hundred and fifty five million dollars deal. The metsaw closer Edwin Diaz bolt to the Dodgers yesterday. Joe Buck is the winner of the twenty twenty six Ford C. Frick Award. He'll be inducted into the broadcasters winging the Baseball Hall of Fame. Buck and his father Jack the first father Son Frick Award winners. And in news that maybe only jars me. Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow turned twenty nine years old today. It seems like only yesterday, and boy it was a somber, if not sad Joe Burrow earlier today at his weekly news conference, we'd ask about, you know, the fact he seemed frustrated. His response was, there's just a lot of things going on right now, a lot of things going on, and when asking to follow up football related are personal, Joe said, all of the above. Wow, all right, we've reached the bottom of the hour. Let's talk some reds when we come back. Let's open up the lines five three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, one eight hundred, the big one, your reaction to Kyle Schwarber, My reaction to Kyle Schwarber, and what is next for this team? As we continue with RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 2: Coming up eight oh five tonight is the anniversary you know me and anniversaries. You know Kelly would say she would just wish as I would remember our anniversary coming up at eight five, the anniversary of perhaps the most famous quote in Cincinnati sports history. That will lead us into a topic about quotes, phrases, and sayings in Cincinnati sports history. Stick around, join us for that, Join us now to talk some Reds. By the way, Reds Fest coming up January sixteen and seventeen, I will have Sports Talk live from Redsfest on that Friday night, the sixteenth, from six to nine o'clock. I'm looking at a tentative guest list that is out those who are appearing. This is based on travel arrangements being confirmed at this moment. More names added to the list. I see names like Andrew Rabbit, Chase Burns, TJ. Friedel Hunter Green, Nicladolo sal Stewart. Among the alumni, Bronson Arroyo is going to be there, Doug bear Skeeter Barnes, Tucker Barnhardt, Sean Casey Friday, Danny Graves Saturday, Austin kerns On Friday, Larry Luber's is gonna be there, Devin Mezerako, Dave Miley, my guy. I gotta get him on the stage for Sports Talk that Friday night with Dave Myla, Sam LeCure, Chris Welsh, various broadcasters, members of the coaching staff, you name it. All of that information is on my X page. I'm on X Atlance Pacallister. On that feed you can see that list, or if you follow on Facebook, thank you. If you don't join us at Lance Pacalister Sports Talk, the complete rundown is there. All right, Let's let's talk Reds. Let's talk Kyle Schoorber. Let's talk what happened and what's next. Here's what frustrates me about the Reds. We were told their twenty twenty six budget was going to be about the same as twenty twenty five in the neighborhood of one hundred and twenty million, and after resigning Amelia Pagan, they were left with about ten million to spend, and yet they were willing to go above the budget to offer Kyle Schwarber a five year, one hundred and fifty million dollar deal. That's twenty five million a year. That would have been over their budget. Now with Kyle Schwarp were off the board. Nick Crawls indicated their payroll status is status quo. So they found the money for the hometown kid in an attempt to excite the fan base and benefit from the attendance boost. But now they're not willing to spend above the payroll to improve the team, make it a winner and excite the fan base. I mean, the shore Ber offer shows you they have money and they can spend over the budget. They're choosing not to. And how do you expect I guess, how do they expect fans to take that? And I've wondered this consistently throughout the offseason. If their twenty twenty five attendants was their biggest since twenty fifteen, and they had the fifth biggest jumping attendance in baseball from twenty twenty four to twenty twenty five, and they aren't raising the payroll, then when would they ever raise the payroll? I mean, think about it. If they drew twenty six thousand plus largest Reds attendance in a decade, fifth biggest jump in baseball from one year to the next, and yet their payroll is remaining the same. When would it ever go above one hundred and twenty million dollars. I don't I don't understand, you know, Charlie Goldsmith wrote today for Charlie's Chalkboard there's a massive gap between Plan A and Plan B for the Reds of this offseason, and he wrote the difference reflects a lot about the Reds. They found a way to make Kyle Schorber a real offer of five years, one hundred and twenty five million. It wasn't enough. Now it's back to building within. Somebody make that make sense. I mean, if you if you doubt the seriousness of the offer. As Charlie wrote, Schwerber and his wife visited in person in late November with the Reds office and with Terry Francona and with Bob Castelany, and the Reds weren't told they were out of the race until yesterday morning. And is Charlie Wright's the Reds were willing to spend in this case, but Shorber would have been the exception. And without that exception, the Reds have about five to ten million to spend going forward. So how do you make that work in the third offseason of needing That Air quotes elusive bat and Nick Kral said, and I quote, our ownership group puts everything back into the team every year. They try to figure out how to break even every year. That's how we budget. We're trying to figure out how to best utilize that budget for the major league club. Well here's an idea. How about trying to figure out how to build a winning team and instead of trying to break even, understanding that maybe every now and then you need to do more. Because the Reds and no other team in Major League Baseball is ever going to tell you how much revenue they have. It is won't. It's the beauty of Major League Baseball teams. They don't have to tell you, so they can say we put everything back into it and just try to break even. And we're we're in a position of having to accept that of teams around Major League Baseball. It will be a headbutting point of conversations when we had to lock out after twenty twenty six with the Major League Baseball players that were going to say, then show us the books. If what you say is true, then show us the books of your financials. And teams are not going to do that. But if you can do it for Shoreber, but shorebur doesn't happen. I take the pick the number, twenty five million. What could you get for twenty five million if Schwarber's out of the equation. Maybe it's a bat in two relievers. Maybe it's a bat in three relievers. I don't know. I don't know. I just can't. You can't have an offer for Kyle Schwarber on the table and then say, well, that didn't work out, worse status quo one hundred and twenty million dollars. I get that. That's what is so frustrating to me. Ken Rosenthal, the athletic writing, unlike the Orioles, the Reds are not expected to pursue other expensive free agents. There offered to Schwarber was tied to their belief that his addition would help drive ticket sales. Well, why can't it ever be by up're reading the talent winning will result in more ticket sales. In this case, it was just let's get the hometown kid and ticket sales will go up. And now they're not expected to pursue anybody else. Had one hundred and fifty million to give Kyle Schwarber status quo going forward for everything else and that's about ten million dollars to spend. Incredibly frustrating. You know, I was running the numbers today, just some simple math, and I would love to know how much the Reds baked into of this. The Reds baked into their offer, because my thinking is people I've talked to it's not out of whack. Let's just say you assume the addition of Kyle Schwarber, and I kind of did this in the week leading up to this, of if what type of financial commitment you'd be willing to make if it meant getting Kyle Schorber. And my angle was what would this mean for attendance specifically. Let's just say, for argument, say Kyle Schorber came here and the Reds attendance was boosted five thousand a game. That's not unrealistic. It would have got him up to thirty one thousand a game. They did that in twenty thirteen. So Schorber comes, excitement rains, attendance jumps five thousand per game. Well, five thousand per game times eighty one dates is four hundred and five thousand added fans at an average ticket price of thirty dollars. That's twelve point one million dollars twelve point one million dollars a year from the addition of Kyle Schorber, maybe maybe more, And that doesn't even include who's pointed out to me, well, don't forget what it would have meant for parking and concessions and playoff appearances and TV ratings and radio ratings and all that comes with it. I wonder how much, if any, that they baked into the offer of twenty five million a year to Kyle Schuber. I mean, I would assume to some extent they factored that in and thought along my lines, me along their lines of all right, he would be a boost to our attendants. And maybe it'll be tough to see that us reaching that number on the surface, but if we factor in he might mean another five, seven, nine twelve million a year, then that makes it easier for us to offer him five years at one hundred and fifty million. I just know this. He's a Philly and the Reds payroll is back to status quo at one hundred and twenty million with ten million to spend, and that is incredibly frustrating. Your calls Next to RNL Carrier Sportstock presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW close it out on eight o'clock. We'll pivot in the eight o'clock hour into something that was uttered in since of that sports on this date in UH sports history, back in nineteen. I'll let you think about it. Nineteen Fill in the blank, and we'll put together a list in celebration of that coming up after the newst's head of the phones in Western Hills. Hey, Rick, how are you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Hi? So I wanted to ask two things. So in Punarcion Strand, is he getting better? He was a great hitter and then he broke his hand, got hit by a ball, and he got hurt last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I have no reason to believe. I have no reason to hold out hope that he would be a factor on this team in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: He's not coming back to get there.
Speaker 2: You know, he'll believe me. No that No, I didn't say that. He's just I would not count on him being in their plans.
Speaker 5: Anything really could anything else if somebody comes into spring training. My old thing with the Reds is that they always need to have their their lineups made up before spring training comes. You know, if somebody comes in, they get hot and stuff. Then they set them down the miners and they coof you never out to get it. It's like they're streaky.
Speaker 3: You always your confidence. And I don't know.
Speaker 5: I hope that somebody does get hot during spring training. They let him, they decide, maybe they'll let him play start. The other thing I was wondering is hope it is maybe they can learn to play some small ball and learn some fundamentals. I know they lost a lot of games, lest I would hear the announcers complained at all, or they threw it to the wrong.
Speaker 2: Place, random, the wrong way, no question, there's no and thank you for the call. There's no question they had some fundamental issues. I don't know that small ball is the answer. The game's kind of gone away from small ball. There just aren't a whole lot of sacrifice bunch anymore in the game because teams value their twenty seven ounce and I don't like to give them up. But there were times where fundamentally this team gave you a headache.
Speaker 3: No question.
Speaker 2: Columbus, we go, Hey Forrest, how.
Speaker 6: Are you.
Speaker 3: Lance?
Speaker 7: Doing great?
Speaker 3: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm well? What's on your mind?
Speaker 3: Lance?
Speaker 8: Your spot on with the Schwarber debacle? I almost think the Reds didn't want to sign Schwarber. They wanted to make an offer, try to make us flash the next thing. I think he signs elsewhere. You pivot, you go out, and you get the polar Bear. You have the same effect bringing a star in for the younger players to learn from, learn a great hitting approach. You move forward then and pivot with a polar Bear.
Speaker 2: How exciting.
Speaker 8: And we're not even using our revenue sharing money from what it sounds like in the newspaper.
Speaker 3: I'll listen to your.
Speaker 8: Reaction, but I thought polar Bear, Pete Alonzo, it'd be a great fit if we can't get Schward Forest.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you for calling tonight and listening. I just wish more of their view was about the boost in attendance that would come from putting a winner on the field, a ninety plus win team, and not as much as get a hometown kid or do concerts or do bobbleheads. I just wish the mindset would be man that old saying you got to spend money to make money, and maybe instead of keeping status quo from one year to the next and keeping the same payroll despite the salary's going up despite our fans supporting us more than they have any year in Reds Baseball since twenty fifteen. Maybe this is the year, maybe we take a little bit of a leap of faith. I don't think anybody expects the Reds to go to two hundred million dollars. I think it is the driving reason for why so many would love to see during this war that's coming up between the two sides of salary floor put in as much as a salary cap. All right, look, salary cap fined. But any talk of a labor war that doesn't get a salary floor and forces that anything that doesn't force the Reds or pirates or teams to spend more money to get up to a level is going to have no impact on this game whatsoever. And I just wish that that pursuit was driven by if we put a winner on the field, we don't have to worry about anything else. The fans will show up incredibly frustrating. There was one man frustrated on this date nineteen eighty nine. He uttered words that live still today. We'll get into that and more in the eight o'clock hour Sports Talk RNL Carrier. Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Chevalet seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: The following takes place between eight pm and nine pm.
Speaker 2: Ay, let's keep moving one hour to get it done. Then let's see Wednesday night, Dan Carroll, and tonight nine to midnight. Plenty of ground to cover between now and then. Man, this Michigan story gets gets the more bizarre worse by the minute. Michigan coach ex Michigan coach now Sharon more Cordiner reports detained by police and salign Michigan this evening and turned over to police in Pittsfield Township for investigation into potential charges. Again the Michigan coach fired with cause earlier today university investigation revealing an improper relationship with a staffer, and now turned over to police tonight. Final thought on Kyle Schwarber, I wonder in his mind, at least it'd be fair to wonder in his mind. All right, they've offered me five years, one fifty What if I take this? What if they don't raise their payroll? What if they try to squeeze me in at twenty five million of the one hundred and twenty million dollars payroll and have to lop guys off to fit me in. What chance is there we're going to win if I come there? I think that would be a fair concern if you were Kyle Schwarber. All right, it was this date, December tenth, nineteen eighty nine. That's something happened in this city that we will never forget. Bengals Seahawks Riverfront Stadium snowing that day. Fans were upset with the officiating, some calls had gone against the Bengals. Fans started throwing snowballs onto the field, to the point that a riled up, agitated Sam Wish walked over. It would have been to Tom Kinder, the PA voice of the Bengals, who did the PA on the field, holding a microphone on a long cable cord on the field, not upstairs in the in the booth. On the field. Sam Wish walked over to him, took the microphone and uttered this famous phrase, Well, the next person.
Speaker 9: That sees anybody brought anything on this field, point them out, rick you them out of here.
Speaker 2: You don't let it. Clevelight, listen to that crown. A quote never to be forgotten in the annals of sports history, and this city. One of those quotes phrases, sayings that will always live with great lore of that moment in time when Sam uttered those words. I was digging around archives today and I found I found the NBC call of that moment, and that was Don Kricky doing the game with Ahmad Rashad. Listen to their description of what was unfolding, and then NBC picks up Sam's microphone when he utters the words, take a listen.
Speaker 5: Right now, Seattle has the lead seventeen to ten.
Speaker 10: We're getting some snowballs thrown onto the field and I'm sure that's why referee Bob mcley is stopping play right now.
Speaker 2: A little brisk in the jungle today there is snow.
Speaker 10: Reggie Williams, the coountman, trying to quiet the crowd down a little bit. Jonnas not fair. They're looking for sideline security. You know, people don't call yeah, Sam on this way you're saying, let.
Speaker 2: Me you know, Sam White one of the people that was very upset.
Speaker 10: About the dunk Town when they were throwing things. They ut here in the jungle, These fans here the live a lot of control. I don't know where they find the snow to throw the snowball.
Speaker 4: Now, Sam White is running over to the Seattle side of the field.
Speaker 2: Perhaps he and Coach Knocks are going to tee it up right now, I go out him for all I doubt that Sam on the.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 9: The next person that sees anybody brow anything onto this field, point them out and get him out of here.
Speaker 2: You don't leave it Cleveland.
Speaker 5: That was a ward of cameel here time and time again.
Speaker 2: And he goes in the Cleveland.
Speaker 3: Years to come.
Speaker 2: They don't have to play them again this year.
Speaker 6: Do me down and clear them.
Speaker 2: I mean his feelings and in camp certainly I don't at all, but I don't know.
Speaker 3: He said, we don't live.
Speaker 2: In Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati, which they'll know. I don't know if this is he's stopped the cropping throwing.
Speaker 5: Things, but they are so far and up right now.
Speaker 2: This would mark a playoff game. Let's oh man, it happened this date nineteen eighty nine. To me, that headlines any list if we're putting together those quotes or phrases or sayings that will withstand the test of time around here and we'll always be referred to. I think that's number one. I think this one would be number two. It was uttered in nineteen ninety by Chris Sabo. Take a listen.
Speaker 11: I like to thank everybody because you guys are pretty good. And uh, I'd like to say that, don't get with a chance. We kicked her act afore straight. That's all I gotta say. And all I think I I we cut our mouths shut. We just went out there and proved it on the field. They could talk all they want, but they're gonna they're gonna sit home all winter, and they know they don't got nothing because we we got the ring, we got the money, we got everything.
Speaker 2: I go, what an all time classic? Just a a the the boyish enthusiasm of Chris Sabo, so excited and so searching for words to say, and he comes up with, We've got the rings, We've got the money, We've got everything. Thank you, beautiful. What else has popped into your head? While I've set this up? Because as I'm thinking about the most famous quotes and phrases and sayings in Cincinnati sports history, I add the famous phrase from Chad Johnson during Hard Knocks. Child Please, I would add au Hanio Suarez good vibes, only I would add And I'm thinking, what year would this have? Been Rick Minner was the coach you see was playing at Hawaii. I should have texted Scott Springer about this, and it was you see got hosed in that game by the officiating, and then there was a brawl among the teams at the end, in total chaos. And I believe it was Rick Minner on the postgame show here on seven hundred WLWY. Scott may have been interviewing him for the postgame and you hear a Rick Minner yell, this is a disgrace because they had been so jobbed by the officials.
Speaker 3: What else?
Speaker 2: How about a classic for Marge Shot who once said, why do we need scouts? All they do is want games. There is another one that I will never forget, the look on Dave Lapham's face. We were doing Bengals line, and back in the day, this is twenty fourteen, we did Bengals line at the Holy Grail. And since the Bengals have moved it inside of pay Cort, there's broadcast studios, we do it from there. But we were doing it the Holy Grail and the Bengals were playing the Browns that coming Sunday and we had Marvin on. Marvin would call in on Mondays at eight o'clock to join the show, and I asked him about defending Johnny Manziel, the Browns quarterback, who was small in stature, was not a very tall guy, and so I asked him about, you know, guarding somebody mobile and small like Johnny Manziel. And Johnny went about.
Speaker 3: What was Johnny?
Speaker 2: He was probably what was he six foot that? So Marvin says, I'm looking for his height now, yep, listed at six foot exactly. Marvin says, without missing a beat, over the phone and over the airwaves, quote, you gotta go defend the offense. You don't defend the players, particularly a midget. And I paused, and I turned my head to the side, and I looked at Dave Lapham and he was looking at me, and I looked back out to the crowd, and the crowd was looking at us, and I'm like, I'm thinking to myself, what did Marvin Lewis just say?
Speaker 3: What? I think?
Speaker 2: He said that you got to defend the offense. You don't defend the player, particularly a midget, And that is exactly what he said. And if you remember, the next day, Marvin apologized publicly for calling Johnny manziel a midget. I will never forget that, never forget that quote. When we come back, we'll grab you. I've won three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand, eight hundred, the big one. I've got so many more of these to get to. But uh samwish this date. Man, Holy cow, he let it fly, and I don't think anybody who heard it we'll ever forget it. Arnel Carrier Sportstock presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW seven hundred wl W RNL Carrier Sportstock presented by Kelsey Chevallet. By the way, shout out to Tracy. Congratulations to Tracy and the Gang at Reality Tuesday on twenty five years in northern Kentucky. It's a a coffee shop. I frequented a great deal and twenty five years is not to be sneezed at. And the just props to the the stained power and the consistency to become a go to staple in the community. They're just down from Covington, Catholic, heist cool and I will admit as a fan of the show. Twenty four they had me years ago with their Jack Bauer size coffee. Twenty five years I was talking with Tracy yesterday when I stopped by. Twenty five years of waking up at five point fifteen and driving in without a speeding ticket also impressive, and thank you to Tracy for being how she describes it as a badge girl for my Facebook page. She is a frequent follower and a contributor to my Facebook page at Lance MacAllister Sports Talk. So again, shout out to everybody in Perk Hills a reality Tuesday. Twenty five years in business. That is outstanding. Ooh, you know who else is outstanding? My next caller, he's in Loveland. That would be Fran How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well.
Speaker 5: Lance.
Speaker 6: I know you like these anniversaries.
Speaker 3: So you got one today December tenth.
Speaker 6: I'm going to go back one yesterday, December ninth, nineteen sixty five and infamous day in Cincinnati sports history, the trading of Frank Robinson and if you remember, build the wit use the quote Frank Robinson was an old thirty and traded him for Milt Pappat, Jack Balsham and Dick Suitcase Simpson. And of course we know what Frank Robinson did. He went on to win the MVP for Baltimore led him to the World Series, probably the worst trade ever in Cincinnati history. But the old thirty.
Speaker 3: Quote, that.
Speaker 2: Fabulous quote. I have a list of about twenty six of these, and I did not have that one. That is going on the list because that will no doubt live in infamy.
Speaker 3: Oh that was a dark day.
Speaker 6: In Cincinnati history, last imagine.
Speaker 3: I wish it wasn't on your list.
Speaker 2: But if there you and me both.
Speaker 3: Thanks, We'll see you right there.
Speaker 2: You go, friend and lovely wife Philis probably hopefully listening as well. Shout out to you guys. How about I mean, you'd have to put the phills where you're gonna go. That's a famous quote in Cincinnati sports Marty's and this one belongs to the Reds. Famous quote in Cincinnati sports Sam has another one. Sam one said there's golf to be played, in tennis to be served, and other things to be done out there, besides worrying about a silly football game. That was in nineteen ninety one following a loss to the Browns. How about two Holloway his famous quote, We went out there and zipped them up. That's our motto, zip them up after beating you see in the crossdown shoot out, the brawl of twenty eleven along those lines, and not to rub it into Bearcat fans, Andy Mack with a famous quote in Cincinnati sports history when he said, the U see I can't do it like him, do it justice that you see Bearcats number one in the country, number two in their own city after Lenny Brown's jumper beat the Bearcats in the ninety six or ninety seven Skyline Crosstown shootout, I would add Brian Price, I can't do it justice. But in April of twenty fifteen, Brian Price, perturbed about things, went on a profanity laced tirade where he used the F word seventy seven times in four and a half minutes. In his postgame tirade, it went something like, I like to talk, and I have spoken as candidly as I can with you people speaking with the media. If that's not good enough, I won't say a blanking thing. I'll go yes, sir, no, sir, and I can do that. But blank, I've been as candid as I can blank about this team and our players, and we've got to deal with this blank every blank in time that we blank and play, every opponent has to blank and know which guys are available on which aren't. That's as much as I can give you. I'll leave the rest of your imagination. But for a really mild mannered guy like Brian Price, that moment, that quote, Holy cow. Junior offered one in February of two thousand, in a packed room at Riverfronts Stadium, senterg Field Don in a REDS jersey with a REDS cap. He looked around the packed room and he leaned in the microphone and with a smile, he said, well, I'm home. Another famous line from the Banana Phone Adam from Milwaukee quote Marty, do you have your shirt?
Speaker 7: On?
Speaker 2: The famous banana phone call? That quote has to make the list more as we continue. It was this date nineteen eighty nine. Sam Wish utters what I would consider to be the most famous Cincinnati sports quote. You don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati. More of your calls ahead. RNL Cary Sports Doc presented by Kelsey Valet seven hundred WLW eight thirty eight seven hundred WLW. The show RNL Carrier Sports Talk presented by Kelsey Cherbla. I'm Lance Pick Camilister. Thanks for handing out with me tonight. I'll hand things off to Dan Carroll coming up at nine o'clock. Dan Horde, during the break sends the following text for an offering of quotes, phrases, and sayings. Quote, Sir, the NC DOUBLEA wants you out of here, Chuck mayshat turning and saying, what did I do? But Chuck was ejected from the NCUBLEA tournament game? Oh my goodness, what a moment. What today, sir? The NC DOUBLEA wants you out of here?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Man, that leads me into coffin nails. Bam bam bam. Famous Cincinnati quote. How about oh this would count? We don't we don't, we don't mess around?
Speaker 5: Hey?
Speaker 2: From sports or consequences? How about one one of many some famous, some infamous from Hugs? I guess how about the famous get Kenyon the ball in the timeout against the Paul at the horizon at the Horizon center. What was it the horizon? What was that called? Where de Paul played? Horizon? Jeez? I was there at rosemun Horizon and called games there blanket on the name and uh, they're starting to come back, had been down big and Huggs calls the timeout and basically threatens anybody who did any position that doesn't start with Keny with the ball, You're gonna lose your scholarship in so many words, and his line was, get Kenyon the ball back out to the phones. Five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven, one, eight hundred, the big one, Hamilton, we go.
Speaker 7: What do you know, Jim, that's how you're doing tonight.
Speaker 2: I'm well, how about you?
Speaker 3: I'm doing all right.
Speaker 7: I got to Pete Gillen.
Speaker 3: I've heard him say.
Speaker 7: This one was he was a color commentating on a basketball game and a turn in the NCAA tournament, and the announcer asked him, what do.
Speaker 3: You think of this other this team?
Speaker 7: And I can't think of the name of the team, but he said, well, they'll press you in the fore front court, they'll pressure in the back court, they'll press you at mid court. They'll pressure your pants if you want.
Speaker 2: That's a classic Pete.
Speaker 7: And the second one was he said somebody asked him about Duke University. He said, Duke, they're on TV. More than leave it to Beava.
Speaker 2: I remember that one. I remember that one. That's good, Pete. You could do a whole book of Pete Gillan. Very well done, Hey, Jim, Thanks buddy, all right, all right, good hearing from me. That's good, good, that's good. It all stems from this date nineteen eighty nine when Sam Wish uttered those words, you don't live in Cleveland, you live in Cincinnati. Cold we go. Hey, Eric, welcome to sports talk.
Speaker 4: Heylan, how you doing, I'm well, how are you?
Speaker 8: I'm doing?
Speaker 12: All right?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 8: I got I got two. I mean I had three, but you did the bam bam coffin day all. That always sticks out with me.
Speaker 12: Yes, But the first one with the Reds that I'll always remember is Brandon Phillips after I think we we blew a lead to the Cardinals, and in the locker room afterwards, you know, he had some a lot today about how much he hated there, and you know what, as a Red Reds fan, I'm right there with Brandon, I hate them too. And then that, of course sparked the big brawl. Yes, Johnny Cueto kicking uh oh Man LaRue.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 12: And then the other one with the Bengals is uh I mean, more recently with Joe Burrow when we went up to Buffalo in the playoffs and won.
Speaker 8: Hey, better have those receipts. They didn't know where they were going to do.
Speaker 12: The championship game would have won because of the whole Damar Hamlin incident and everything, but better get those receipts ready.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he said that right after the game. You never forget that one.
Speaker 2: That's a great one. Well done. Hey, Eric, thanks for listening, thanks for calling. Thank you have a great night.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The Brandon Phillips, the clean version would be there, a bunch of whiny little blanks. And then that led to the next night, Brandon leading off and walking up to home plate the lead off for the bottom of the first and he taps yatare Molina on the shing guard, just kind of a tap like hey, what's up? And yacht here took exception to that, and he stood up out of his crouch and and then then it was on, Oh, I'll never forget Hesey and I had seats in the second section behind home is that thing unfolded? What an unbelievable scene. By the way, speaking of UC basketball, as we did with Dan's reference to Chuck Mayshack, Corey Blunt and Terry Nelson have a new podcast. It is Legends Unplugged. You can find it on YouTube. I assume you can find it where you find your podcast. But I know it's on YouTube because I watched it yesterday Terry Nelson, Corey Blunt sitting talking Bearcat basketball present Day and passed and telling stories. Terry Nelson, Corey Blunt Legends Unplugged. Check it out. By the way, speaking of the Bearcats, I was watching the Indiana game last night and Josh Reid was playing for Penn State, and I'm I forgot about Josh Reed, the former Bearcat who transferred, and it got me thinking during that game, and I immediately went to Basketball Reference, which is a great website, and I started I looked at UC's roster last year to look at players who transferred other players, and I said, I wonder how they're doing in some other spots, and lo and behold. Scott Springer sent me a text to afternoon. He said, hey, by the way, he says, I'm actually writing a story about that today for the Inquiry that's about the post. He says, I want you to think I was stealing your idea. I said, no, I don't want you to think that. I would like to I was stealing your idea, I said, I just happened to notice Josh last night playing for Penn State and it led me to looking it up. But he has written about it extensively today at Sinsinia dot com. Arrington Page the seven footer is at Northwestern this year. He's averaging over fifteen points a game and seven rebounds. Connor Hickman just got healthy and cleared for College of Charleston. He's only played four games, but he's averaging fifteen points and four rebounds a game. CJ. Anthony is at Iona, averaging about sixteen points and six assists. Dan Skillings at Baylor eleven points, eight rebounds, about three assists. Dylan Mitchell is at Saint John's remember him ten and a half points, six and a half boards, two and a half assists per game. Tyler Betsy is at Syracuse. He's averaging just under nine points a game. Josh Reed, who I watched last night for Penn State ten points, four rebounds and assist and about one and a half steals per game. And Rayvin Griffith is it Kent State, averaging six points and three rebounds. But Scott has written much more about this. Check that out Cincinnati dot com through the inquiry. But yeah, I'm saying like Josh Reed. I completely forgot about Josh Reed and it even lost track of where he uh where he was I had I had seen a big game from Errington Page within the last couple of weeks with what he's doing at Northwestern in the Big Ten. And again, some of these guys transferred to high level conferences, some went to lower level conferences. But cool to see each of them finding success in UH in new surroundings this season. How about UH, let me go do UH. Let's see how about here and there and right here in Miami Town. Hey, Tom, welcome to sports Talk.
Speaker 8: Hello, Hello man, real quick, Jerry Fowles, you think you stink?
Speaker 2: I never heard that one from Jerry Faust.
Speaker 3: I kind of like that defense.
Speaker 8: If you can, you're done, start reacting.
Speaker 3: I like, I liked it.
Speaker 2: You go all right, I put it on the list. Thank you, Thank you for the call. All right, we'll head down the stretch. Squeeze in on this state in sports history. Zach, I'm gonna play it just because it's it's it's such an I don't want to say an odd answer. It's such an interesting answer. Zach was asked asked today about his reaction to UH Trey Hendrickson having surgery and the Bengals now not having him probably the rest of this season at all likelihood. Wait wait till you hear what what. Zach's answer to that was, as we roll on, It's RNL Carrier Sports Doc presented by Kelsey Chevrolet seven hundred WLW eight fifty three seven hundred W l W RNL Carriers Stock presented by Kelsey Chevrolet. Dan Carroll popped in, He'll be in here at nine. He said, what about Bob Trumpy and the story used to tell about Paul Brown, who uttered the line, act like you've been there before. Absolutely, there was another one he mentioned, Now I forget it. Maybe he'll tell you when he gets in here, Dan. Nine to midnight. Zach Taylor spoke earlier today a couple of things, and tomorrow night much more in depth on this the Bengals. What Joe Burrow said. I'll tell you what. If you haven't had a chance to see it, watch the Joe Burrow Prescott, Oh, the other Tony Perez see the ball, hit the ball? There you go. Absolutely, it is a really good one. But that one on the list. If you haven't seen the Joe Burrow news conference today. I would watch it a very very bummed out. I don't even know if bummed out, down bothered Joe Burrow at one point he would ask, Joe, you seem frustrated. I think trags asking that, and Joe's response was, there are just a lot of things going on right now, A lot of things going on, and the follow up was football related or personal, and he said all of the above, and adding to that the look on his face as he spoke today, added the line I think I've been through more than most and it's certainly not easy on the brain or the body in terms of his injuries, and said, if I want to keep doing this, I have to have fun doing it. I've been through a lot. But if I'm not having fun, what am I doing it for? More of that tomorrow night on the Roundtable show, Zach when he talked, was ask about Trey Hendrickson, and now we know Trey is out, probably he's played his final down for the Bengals. But the question to Zach was about, you know, a very fair at obvious question the week the news comes out he's having surgery and the question being about what's your reaction to losing Ray, And you could understand if if a coach would say, yeah, you know, it's a it's another tough break and a frustrating season. We could really use a closer late in games like Trey has been and we hope uh a speedy recover and he's back on the field soon. You never know. And it was none of that. Here here is what Zach said, would ask about Trey Hendrickson today. Take a listen. How disappointing wasn't it to find out about Hendrickson and not potentially being able to happen for the rest of the year.
Speaker 13: Yeah, nothing new, brilliant, Mean, that's that's been the last few weeks.
Speaker 2: That's it. Yeah, nothing new. That's how it's been the last couple of weeks. Out of the next question, No, it's a tough break. We miss him, hope to have him back. He's a clear difference maker. It was just that And I don't know what do you think that says about the relationship between Zach Tray these days. Zach was also asking I think it was our guy James Rapine ask about Zach and dealing with the pressure he has faced this season. Here's Zach Taylor.
Speaker 13: They're all challenging. Every situation. Every season is unique. It's got his own challenges, He's got his own ups and downs. I just take a week the week, you know, and now we're focused on Baltimore and trying to find a win and really want to win this game to get ourselves a little bit of momentum before the next one. Every season is a challenge in so own ways. Even when your record is flipped from what it is now, there's still challenges and the verst year you're gonna face and our guys are eager for this one. You can feel the energy level is still really good in the building and expect to go play well on Sunday. Anytime you're asked about pressure, you say, no one puts more pressure on you than you.
Speaker 8: When were you able to kind of tune out down side noise, especially during challenging seasons like this record live.
Speaker 13: Oh yeah, I don't think that's something that just happens now. I mean, that's your whole life gets you ready for that. So I enjoy pressure. I enjoy adversity, something that scares us or makes us nervous. It's part of why you're in this profession is doing challenging things and doing things you don't think everybody can do. And so we work really hard, even when it's tough, and even when it looks bleak, to find this silver lining and keep working through it and find a way to win. And those are some of your greatest moments when you face a lot of challenges and you come through it. And so we embrace that. It's not something we like get us down. It's frustrating when you don't win. It's frustrating when you're in close games. Yeah, that's the amount of work we put in and the expectations we have ourselves. That's really hard when it doesn't go your way. But it doesn't change the fact that you got to wake up Monday morning and the Ravens are coming to town, and so you got to find a way to win.
Speaker 2: Zach Taylor earlier today, meeting with the media. Final note on this date, this before on this date, I always enjoy I always appreciate when somebody gives me a recommendation of maybe a place to eat. I would like to offer you one. We enjoyed our first time dining experience at Carmelo's and Covington last night. It's a really cool place, like a little Italian vibe. Excellent meal, lasagna and Kelly had the crispy garlic alfredo, share the caesar salad, which is huge. Shout out to chef Mitch Arena. Props to server Eric. Just a really enjoyable meal, reasonable price. Places bigger than I realized and looking at it online it was packed. We dined at a high top in the very cool bar area. But for those looking for a dinner recommendation, I love when you pass.
Speaker 4: Them on to me.
Speaker 2: Thank you, whether it's dinner or breweries or other places. Carmelo's was very enjoyable last night on this date in Red's or sports history, how about let me give you other than Sam Weiss. Nineteen seventy one a sports note, the Mets trade Nolan Ryan in three prospects to the Angels for six time All Star third baseman Jim Fregosi. Fregosie would play less than two full seasons with the Mets. Ryan would throw seven no hitters, set the all time strikeout record, and become a Hall of Famer. I didn't realize Jim Fergosi went to six All Star Games that trade. Nineteen seventy three, the American League on this date voted unanimously to adapt the designated hitter. Adopt the designated hitter on a trial basis for three years. Nineteen eighty one, Cardinals and Podres swap shortstops. Gary Templeton goes to the Podres. Ozzy Smith goes to the Cardinals. And this date, twenty twelve, because I mentioned him earlier, Johnny Manziel, Texas A and M quarterback comes the first freshman to win the award. This date, twenty sixteen, Lamar Jackson, Louisville quarterback became the youngest to win the award at nineteen. All Right, I wish I had more time. I never had it a time. I'm gonna use that third hour tonight, but I'm done. Thank you for being here, thank you for listening, Thank you for contributing. Thanks to Joe Waddell stick around the News and then Dan Carroll. He will carry you on nine to midnight. I'll catch you hopefully at the roundtable tomorrow night at Long Necks in Wilder. This has been RNL Carrey Your Sports Talk, presented by Kelsey Chaervallet seven hundred WLW